Tad Eareckson

Re: 2015/03/27 Jean Lake crash

Post by Tad Eareckson »

http://ozreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=42848
USHPA releases accident report
Scot Trueblood - 2015/06/19 00:32:12 UTC
Estero, Florida

Platform towing

I am dismayed, saddened, and somewhat angered to read this accident report.
But not meltdown-level disgusted by the pretentiousness, stupidity, obfuscations, omissions, restricted accessibility, threat of expulsion for any public discussion? Go figure.
such a tragedy...
Atrocity.
...and my heart goes out to the young fellow and his family...
- Arys Moorhead, ya mean? The eleven year old kid victim of the atrocity whom u$hPa doesn't dignify with a name and just barely mentions in the "REPORT"?

- Any comment on the fact that his mom, Michelle Schneider, returned home minus her kid under the impression that he'd died during a skydiving lesson?
...as well as the friends and family of Kelly.
Family? Possibly. Friends? Fuck 'em - the local ones at least. As far as I'm concerned they're co-conspirators in the cover-up. The driver was probably a friend and he's a perp.
He was obviously a very experienced pilot...
Fuck very experienced pilots. There isn't shit worth knowing in this game that can't and shouldn't be picked up in a year or two by anybody who goes into it in a major way.
...and the problem is: occasionally, good pilots do dumb things.
Bull fucking shit. This guy was NOT a good pilot occasionally doing dumb things. This guy was a dumb jock running a commercial operation with cheap junk for equipment who never once in his entire career had the words "What if?" enter his "thought" processes. His entire hang gliding career was one big dumb thing that finally went into gear.
My concern is: Was this preventable?
I'm concerned that he was able to fuck up everything to the extent that he could put a glider up at an ideal tow site in totally benign conditions using the safest flavor of launch on the planet, make it to 670 feet - well over three times typical kill zone altitude, have pretty much all fuckin' afternoon to deal with the situation that started manifesting itself at that altitude, and get a glider totally demolished and two people killed.
I think: YES
Duh. What do think when somebody shows up in the emergency room with his right hand swollen up from a rattlesnake bite? Preventable possibly? Where are you on Pearl Harbor?
First and foremost: Platform towing without a dedicated observer is just plain stupid.
- Even if you have a primary spotter the way Kelly and his student pilot did?

- Let's assume for a moment that it is. Then what about u$hPa's complete, total, decades long failure to MANDATE a dedicated observer for commercial tandem thrill ride operations?

Took those motherfuckers two seconds to enact the Bob Kuczewski Mandatory Helmet At All Times While Hooked Into A Glider Regulation without citing - or having - one single incident from the combined world histories of hang and para gliding to justify the action and without a nanosecond's worth of thought about negative consequences - like increase in unhooked launches would be an obvious no brainer with no shortage of actual precedents.

Here's the bold decisive stance u$hPa took with respect to your position:
The USHPA Safety & Training, Towing and Tandem Committees are working together on an operations advisory bulletin regarding tandem and towing operations to assist you in reducing your risk. Recommendations for reduction of risk in tandem/towing operations will likely include:

- Recommendation that payout winch tow operations utilize knowledgeable and trained spotters capable of observing the entire flight and releasing tow tension by both dropping system drag and severing the tow line
English translation: Keep doing whatever the fuck you feel like. What happens in Vegas/u$hPa...
To me, the most disturbing part of the accident report is:"The first indication of the lockout to the tow vehicle operator was seeing the glider impact the ground." UNBELIEVABLE !!
Really? How 'bout:

- the fact immediately reported the hell all over the mainstream media but conveniently not mentioned by u$hPa that this was also the first indication to the tow vehicle operator that he still had a glider connected to his winch subsequent to the point at which he swerved into the middle of the lakebed for line retrieval sixty-two seconds prior?

- all these fuckin' idiot tug drivers who can fix whatever's going on back there by giving us the rope and, just to make extra sure, mandate that we all fly with fishing line that's so safe that it's off the bottom of the FAA legal range? How do you explain anybody ever being scratched at any aerotow operation anywhere?
While aerotow tugs can utilize a rear-view mirror quite effectively, this is because the tow rope is only 200' long, and never changes.
Which means that every second climbing through the kill zone is dangerous. Bit of a balance thing going on there. What makes the tow the most dangerous is also exactly the same thing that gives the driver the best visibility of what's going on.

Second thought... Nah, this is lose/lose. All these total fucking assholes are wired to fix whatever's going on back there by giving us the rope. There's no question whatsoever that you could cut aerotow crashes at least fifty percent just by...

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/skysailingtowing/message/6726
Give 'em the rope? When?
William Olive - 2005/02/11 08:59:57 UTC

I give 'em the rope if they drop a tip (seriously drop a tip), or take off stalled. You will NEVER be thanked for it, for often they will bend some tube.
Bill Bryden - 1999/06

Rob Richardson, a dedicated instructor, died in an aerotowing accident at his flight park in Arizona. He was conducting an instructional tandem aerotow flight and was in the process of launching from a ground launch vehicle when the accident occurred.

Rob had started to launch once but a premature towline release terminated this effort after only a few meters into the launch roll-out. It is suspected the cart was rolled backwards a bit and the towline was reattached to begin the launch process again. During the tug's roll-out for the second launch attempt, the tug pilot observed the glider clear the runway dust and then begin a left bank with no immediate correction. At that point he noticed that the launch cart was hanging below the glider and immediately released his end of the 240 ft. towline. The tug never left the ground and tug pilot watched the glider continue a hard bank to the left achieving an altitude of approximately 25 feet. Impact was on the left wing and then the nose of the glider. Rob was killed immediately from severe neck and head trauma.
...taking the fucking mirrors off the fucking Dragonflies. In a perfect world we'd have competent drivers and mirrors would be good things but you go to war with the army you've got...
Platform towing often involves towline distances of well over 1km. At Paradise Hang Gliding, we routinely performed tows to 2500'+AGL, where towline length often exceeded our measured length to the 1st splice (different colored towline) of 3300'. At this point, we had the glider at a vertical angle above the boat which would require craning of the tow operator's neck to look nearly straight up...
If he's looking NEARLY straight up then it can't be a VERTICAL angle, can it?
...and if you looked away for a moment, you may have trouble finding the glider again against varying sky colors.
And if the:
- students are just people of varying ages that makes the glider even harder to find again against the varying sky colors.
- is that fuckin' high then just how important should it be for a driver or spotter to be able to know exactly where it is?
The idea of using a mirror, even with radio communication, is a complete joke.
- What critical problems are you expecting to crop up when the glider's at two thousand feet? Cite an actual incident from somewhere sometime. If you know your approximate line angle and approximately how much line you've paid out then you know approximately where the glider is - and have a pretty goddam good idea what its status is.

This glider climbed to 670 feet before this total clusterfuck started going south as a consequence of its driver assuming that the glider was off tow for a reason about which we've been hearing deafening silence for the better part of three months and the outrageous u$hPa bald-faced LIE that:
The tow vehicle then began turning for the downwind leg of the tow as the glider continued flying upwind.
- WHAT radio communication? Why aren't you asking why, if:
Several times during the flight, the tandem instructor was observed making radio communications to the tow vehicle operator through a hand held radio (mounted on his right shoulder strap) that had been radio checked just prior to the flight.
the tandem instructor WASN'T observed making radio communications to the tow vehicle operator through a hand held radio (mounted on his right shoulder strap) that had been radio checked just prior to the flight at any time during the extremely long period he had available to fix things that really needed to be fixed?
Ask Jon Woiwode, an unbelievably talented pilot...
Fuck unbelievably talented pilots. On 1990/05/27 I helped extract that unbelievably talented pilot - and the torn up demo glider he'd been flying - from a tree a significant ways into the woods after he totally missed the Hyner LZ which was an eighteen hundred plus foot conventional aviation airstrip which you can just about hit with a rock from launch 1275 vertical feet up.
...on a quest to break any records possible...
Instead of being on a quest to understand what the fuck he was doing. He was an unbelievably talented thermal / XC comp pilot who fucked up bigtime twice that I know of on basic Hang Two stuff - the stuff that ACTUALLY MATTERS in this game.
...had a horrible platform tow accident...
No he didn't. There's no such thing as a platform tow accident. You gotta try hard to fuck one of those up. Talk to Sam Kellner if you really wanna do it wrong right.
...in the Red Desert of Wyoming on July 7, 2005. No dedicated observer...
No observer whatsoever. But that wasn't one of the core problems.
...questionable weak link.
Yeah, didn't break when it was supposed to. Probable Tad-O-Link. Fuck that guy.
Dove into the ground...
Flew it into a lockout by moving and trying to stay straight behind the truck in a strong crosswind.
...under full tow power.
Pressure.
In surgery, they were digging fragments of his heel bone out of his shoulder, and he somehow survived. As of a couple of years ago, he had finally lost one of his legs to persistent infection, and will most likely never fly again. He does not remember his accident...
Bullshit.

http://ozreport.com/9.191
John Woiwode's Lockout
John Woiwode - 2005/09/18 21:00

I remember the launch and the sequential events quite clearly. Further corroboration of my memory of the events was supplied by the hard facts on the ground: i.e. when Ken Cavanaugh carefully scrutinized the scene of the accident afterwards, he noted that the tow bridle was released and found near the site of impact. I remember releasing before impact.
...and therefore the lessons to be learned must be inferred.
Bullshit. There WERE NO lessons to be learned.
At about thirty feet, I drifted lightly to the right with a soft south push. It was a gentle deviation, so I applied a correction that stopped the right drift and eventually brought me back in line with the trailer.
That's all we need to read. That was fuckin' clueless. I don't really give much of a flying fuck about anything that happened after that.
So, can we lay this one to rest?
NEVER.
Having a 2nd...
Third.
...party, dedicated observer facing rearward at all times, whether they are in control of the towline tension or not, should be required for all commercial tandem flight operations.
- That will NEVER fucking happen because...

http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=27736
Increase in our USHpA dues
Mark G. Forbes - 2012/12/20 06:21:33 UTC

There are also numerous legal issues associated with accident reports, which we're still wrestling with. It's a trade-off between informing our members so they can avoid those kinds of accidents in the future, and exposing ourselves to even more lawsuits by giving plaintiff's attorneys more ammunition to shoot at us.

Imagine a report that concludes, "If we'd had a procedure "x" in place, then it would have probably prevented this accident. And we're going to put that procedure in place at the next BOD meeting." Good info, and what we want to be able to convey. But what comes out at trial is, "Ladies and Gentlemen of the Jury, my client suffered injury because USHPA knew or should have known that a safety procedure was not in place, and was therefore negligent and at fault." We're constantly walking this line between full disclosure and handing out nooses at the hangmen's convention.
...it would be an admission that if there'd been a dedicated spotter that kid would be heading back to the Grand Canyon with his family on summer vacation right now.

- So this would be a definite lifesaver for platform tow operations. But it should only be MANDATORY for all commercial tandem flight operations. Non commercial tandem, commercial and recreational solo flight operations - fuck it. Kill whomever you feel like. Bullshit.

- So we had this Hang Five comp rockstar doing EXACTLY what he wanted to on this tow:
At about thirty feet, I drifted lightly to the right with a soft south push. It was a gentle deviation, so I applied a correction that stopped the right drift and eventually brought me back in line with the trailer. I was still climbing ok as the line paid out. It was at this time, lined up square with the road and climbing slowly, that I felt a distinct pull on the glider from the tow line, and a rapid acceleration. My fleeting thought at that moment was that I was ok for a bit because the glider was straight and in line with the tow vehicle. I noted that I was catching up to the vehicle/trailer.
Hang Five SkyGod's call is to continue the tow.
The next fractions of seconds happened in a blur, but I agree that I must have locked out to the left. The increase in speed exacerbated the speed of the lock out and its disastrous consequences. I recall pulling my release, but it was far too late. I had the distinct feeling that my glider was going upside down, which in retrospect must have been some sort of vertical spiral just before impact. Somehow, in a reaction I do not recall, I got my feet under me just before impact, which saved my life.
If we'd just had a third party dedicated observer facing rearward at all times, whether or not he'd been in control of the towline tension, in those next fractions of seconds (fractions of secondS?) to take over from the Hang Five SkyGod as Pilot In Command, maybe use his razor-sharp cutting tool to slash through the line in an instant, everything would've turned out just fine and John could've gotten back on the trailer to do the same thing over and possibly achieve better results.
They must have the ability to immediately terminate the tow or sever the towline.
Sorry, Scot. John had the ability to make the easy reach to his easily reachable standard three-loop arrangement release and immediately terminate the tow. And he, in fact, DID THAT. You can't compensate for incompetence and stupidity in the guy flying the glider by throwing another total idiot into the equation. Just accept the fact that if we're gonna permit incompetent idiots to hook up to ropes on the flats and run off ramps on the slopes we're gonna mangle and kill them at easily predictable frequencies.

A halfway competent observer would've aborted the tow at the instant he saw John start "CORRECTING" his downwind drift and moving to line up with the truck. He'd have waved John off and instructed the driver to abort.

And a halfway competent observer would've looked at Kelly's release, radio configuration, hook knife; slashed all the tires on the truck and trailer; and made a 911 call to child protection services.

You use competent aviation people to PREVENT critical situations from evolving - not to try to react to them. This bullshit you're proposing is totally analogous to aborting launch runs after the "pilot" becomes aware that he's not hooked in.
In the case of Kelley...
Do try to spell his name right consistently.
...Harrison, it sounds like roughly 9 seconds elapsed where this would have prevented the tragedy.
What was wrong with the 53 seconds between the points at which the truck swerved to the left and the glider went into cinder block mode? When you look at THESE:

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8857/18290284792_24ac8847ee_o.png
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8819/18267685796_64156e9c91_o.png

tracks everything looks just fine to you right up until the final nine second / 390 foot plummet?
Regardless of all other factors, in my opinion, this is the most important.
Yeah, big fuckin' surprise. When you're gonna run an operation with an incompetent driver pulling an incompetent pilot on total crap equipment throw another cook into the can of worms. What could it possibly hurt?

Tell ya sumpin', Scot... People who know what the fuck they're talking about NEVER qualify their statements and positions with "in my opinion".
However, this does not address the issue of the malfunctioning tow release.
It wasn't a tow release - it was a locking mechanism. Opening would've been a malfunction.
The report says it was a 2 string release, which we have used often, and usually starts as a 3 string release, until the first (largest) line wears out, then it becomes a 2 string.
Remind me to not send any people of varying ages to Paradise Hang Gliding.
No big deal, it still works great.
- Yeah, just like Davis Dead-On Straub's bent pin wonders. HUNDREDS of times with no problems - in totally benign circumstances at normal release altitude after the Dragonfly's throttled back.

- Yeah, who could possibly imagine a platform tow situation in which anyone would have any use for...

http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=30306
Non-fatal crash in Tres Pinos, CA
Scott Howard - 2014/11/06 16:06:31 UTC

...the best i can do for now is a clip of the day b4 when i told the instructor about release problem. (still released by normal method but had to yank 3 times on release to get it to release.)
...any actual load capacity?

I don't give a flying fuck if your piece o' shit "WORKS GREAT". The Wanderer that George Worthington was killed in "WORKED GREAT" all the way up to the point at which it didn't. I wanna know what it's been load tested / certified to. What pound weak link are you using? How much pull do you need to blow your former three-string at that tension? Have you ever heard of anyone using a payout winch experiencing a line jam?
The problems can develop if you do not rig the release correctly...
- Ya think?
- And you consider a three-string that's deteriorated to a two-string to be a component of correct rigging?
...such as letting the eye of the release pin pass through the first string.
Can you think of any reasonably good solutions...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/aerotowrelease/8322057772/

...to a problem like that?
Thankfully we never did this, as one of our preflight checklist items was to check the tow release pin for freedom of movement.
You talked to Pat Denevan about this "preflight" "checklist"...

163-20728
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8655/16487364578_83864d7bac_o.png

...idea of yours?
After an initial check of the release every day, we simply checked, BEFORE EVERY FLIGHT, the correct routing/rigging of the bridle and release, including the position of the pin, and the release cord.
Oh. You were doing some of the things that ACTUAL PILOTS are ALWAYS supposed to. In hang gliding. Amazing. Think that might have anything to do with the reason Scot Trueblood's here on The Davis Show writing about Kelly Harrison and Kelly Harrison isn't here on The Davis Show writing about Scot Trueblood?
Is there any elaboration on the "Repair" top the tow bridle?
No. Any thoughts on why not? Maybe 'cause what Kelly did was so obviously, monumentally, dumbfoundingly stupid that it would've opened up a liability sinkhole big enough to swallow the Jean Dry Lake Bed whole?
In my platform towing experience, I have had 3 inexplicable failures to release of a correctly rigged bridle.
No you haven't. I one hundred percent guarantee you that those failures were totally explicable. This ain't rocket science and even in rocket science everything is totally explicable.
In each case, I was at the top of the tow, straight into the wind, and literally let go of the bar in order to put both hands on the bridle, using one to hold the bridle and the other to pull the pin.
Ever bother to think what would happen in a low level lockout in which you had to literally let go of the bar in order to use one hand to pull the pin? Have you bothered to look at any of Aleksey's recent posts? Just kidding.
In all 3 cases, time was on my side, as I was not in a lockout situation.
Lucky you - and your people of varying ages.
In all 3 cases, I released and had an uneventful flight. In all 3 cases, use of the hook knife was an option, but was unnecessary.
So tell me about some of the incidents in which the razor-sharp cutting tools were used to slash through the lines in instants. I just love adding those stories to my collection.

So you've never actually had a release failure. You had an issue that you haven't been able to identify but you got the releases to work. Could've been fatal in a low level lockout but it's pretty much statistically impossible to line up a rare release issue with a low level lockout 'cause those themselves are massively rare. Which is a real good thing 'cause they tend to not be survivable even when using bulletproof equipment.

Kelly, in stark contrast, was running a total clusterfuck and what happened was pretty much inevitable.
One thing we learned while flying in saltwater was: Keep the release wet ! If it dried out for an hour or two between tows, salt crystals made the lines quite sticky.
Yeah. See what a big issue internal resistance can be on multi-string releases, people of varying ages?
If necessary, we would open a bottle of fresh water to wet the release down, check it for function, and then TOW !
Ya know...

A spinnaker shackle...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/aerotowrelease/8305428629/

...isn't an ideal glider tow release but it ain't bad and Wichard was somehow able to engineer it such that it doesn't have issues with saltwater.

And - if you MUST use the three-ring configuration for your release - the thought has NEVER occurred to you to use an ACTUAL...

...three-RING release? Stainless steel rings 'cause you're working in a saltwater environment? But I guess you've established a long track record with your cheap strings crap wearing out the third strings, keeping them wet, dissolving out salt crystals with fresh water, checking function... Proven system that works. Why mess with success? If it ain't broke...
In addition, it should be stressed to all platform commercial operations, no matter how experienced, that crosswind/circular tow patterns are less than ideal, and should be avoided if at all possible.
- Fuck experience. You name me one tow crash in the history of the sport that happened because somebody involved was INEXPERIENCED. This game has EVERYTHING to do with COMPETENCE and virtually NOTHING to do with EXPERIENCE. Quest Air and Mission Soaring Center should have removed any vestiges of doubts about that issue on 2013/02/02, and 2013/06/15 respectively.

- Duh.

- And if you need to stress this to all platform commercial operations what is that telling us about all platform commercial operations? Are they really all that fucking superior to us weekend warrior muppets?

- It's ALWAYS *POSSIBLE* to avoid crosswind/circular tow patterns. Nobody ever got scratched as a consequence of NOT launching a hang glider. The idea is to get the fuckin' glider to altitude and nobody needs to be told that if he has the luxury of an environment which allows him one long run straight into the wind he should take it. And if somebody's too fucking stupid to understand the threat of extended wheels in ANY tow operation - let alone circuit or step - how much good do you think you're accomplishing by posting something like this?

- And this was NEVER a circuit tow. It was basically a shortish upwind run with an obtuse 123 degree bend in the middle. The tow driver assumed the tow was over when he still had twenty-three hundred feet of very useable lakebed left straight upwind of him. And the glider kept proceeding in pretty much the same direction until it was overwhelmed by snagged towline tension shortly prior to impact.

And here, again, is your central thesis:
First and foremost: Platform towing without a dedicated observer is just plain stupid.
And you haven't been able to cite ONE incident from either your own or anyone else's operation in which a dedicated observer has been of the slightest use.
Just my humble opinion.
And mostly clueless. See above.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

http://ozreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=42848
USHPA releases accident report
Dallas Willis - 2015/06/19 03:41:14 UTC

Gary,

Have you actually measured the breaking strength of your weak links?
To see if they work IN THEORY? Why bother? We already know they work IN REALITY.
Slow and steady stress vs quick jerk?
Exactly the same, Dallas. 120 pounds is 120 pounds. That's why you don't see anything about seconds on fishing line labels.
How do you tie them?
So that they break CONSISTENTLY - in accordance with his EXPECTATIONS.
At what angle are they taking a load?
Sideways, I'm guessing.
I feel the best discussion of this in the last 10 years is here:

http://ozreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=32824
Weaklink testing
- Any chance you could refer us to the REALLY good one from the previous decade that people seem to have forgotten about?

- How does that thread stack up against the comprehensive fourteen page article by Dr. Trisa Tilletti in the 2012/06 issue of Hang Gliding or the chapter in the excellent book, Towing Aloft, by Dennis Pagen and Bill Bryden?
Will a proper weak link save you in an aerotow lock out? Maybe.
NO. It will hold until its breaking strength is reached. When it's breaking strength is reached it will break. (Lemme know if I'm going too fast for ya here.) It's completely moronic to talk about weak links saving people because people can die at any tow tension from zero to whatever weak link you use or in free flight if you're somebody who's never been anywhere near a tow operation. About the only generalization you can make about weak link breaks is that it's a good idea to have them high 'cause you're highly likely to be seriously stalled after they go.
Can you count on it? No.
No, tell the motherfucker he can count on it. We need a lot more Rooney Links in circulations so we can keep getting cool crash videos and fatalities to finish these multipurpose douchebags off but good.
Will a proper weak link...
Around ten percent heavier than an appropriate weak link.
...save you in a platform-tow lock out? No.
Bullshit.

http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=18868
Almost lockout
Ryan Voight - 2010/09/07 02:50:00 UTC

Weak link in truck towing WILL (read: should) still break in a lockout situation... but as everyone has already pointed out, it takes a lot longer because the glider can continue to pull line off the winch.

There is a limit to how fast line can come off the winch though... so the forces still build up, and the weaklink still fails.
There's obviously no possible way for it NOT to save you in a platform lockout. And obviously when it breaks you will go on to have a great soaring flight if you're high, sled down to set up on the old Frisbee in the middle of the field if you're just a couple hundred feet, or level out and rotate up to nail your flare timing if it waits all the way to the last allowable nanosecond before impact. So just be prepared for that worst case scenario so you don't bonk and bend a downtube.
There is far less experience in the world with platform-tow.
In no small part because it's a lot more fun for tow operators to fly Dragonflies than to drive pickup trucks. And it would make it a lot harder for a Jim Keen-Intellect Rooney to keep reminding us what an all-knowing skygod he is if he had to spend all the good weekends totally stuck on the ground.
Weak links do not save you from a lock out in a platform-tow, not even "sometimes" (I'll grant the freak occurrence of "not never but maybe sometime in this one weird edge case that some friend sometime in the 80's swore he saw happen"). Why? Because the platform force is regulated by the hydraulics of the winch which by design must be set far lower than the breaking point of the weak link as opposed to the chaos of an aerotow system which has no such compensator.
That's why we have Rooney Links - otherwise we'd tear our wings off.
In this case the line will simply pay out to reduce the forces well before the weak link breaks. In a platform tow system typically the only time a properly functioning weak link will break is when the tow forces build quicker than the drum can payout. Most often this is from a very strong thermal or a bind in the drum wheel itself. In both of these cases the point is to save the glider. A lockout is not instantaneous...
In aerotow? They can happen faster than you can blink.
...rather the forces on the system build up over time.
The tow forces don't have all that much to do with the speed of the lockout. At altitude you can suddenly find yourself dead for the purpose of the exercise with your Rooney Link holding just fine.
They certainly build very quickly and exponentially but an already spinning drum often has no problems compensating (otherwise we'd break a weak link with every little thermal bump).
The way we did for a couple decades worth of standard aerotow weak link hell.
Shorter thread but also worth watching the video linked in it:

http://ozreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=32857
Weaklink testing from Cloud 9
Davis Straub, Tracy Tillman, Lisa Colletti, Mark Dowsett, JD Guillemette, Jim Gaar. You can't refer us to a shorter thread that ISN'T one hundred percent saturated with total douchebags?

Wanna see what I feel is the best discussion of the weak link issue ever?
Tost Flugzeuggerätebau

Weak links protect your aircraft against overloading.
Tell me something wrong with or absent from that discussion. And show me something ever said by any of the twats in the thread you cited that indicates the slightest understanding that the purpose of the weak link is to protect your aircraft against overloading.

Currently have 1426 posts in the "Weak links" thread here, over fifty thousand hits, and we still need to drive stakes through the hearts of these remaining key dickheads.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

http://ozreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=42842
Fatalities at Jean
Joe Faust - 2015/06/18 13:35:31 UTC

The following is a draft letter proposed for use by the P-saturated org:

LETTER FROM the accident-report document holder:
Dear Public Who Might Want To Know about the fatalities that occur in the sport of hang gliding, and to those who are contemplating joining the org,

We will not let you know unless you pay us for membership.

Signed,
A P-saturated org that does not want to share vital safety information to the public that upholds the sport within its bowels and to those contemplating joining the sport.
Rather,
Consider open sharing of safety information in the tradition of mature aviation.
(Unrepentant child molesters and other individuals with no interest it French kissing Bob's ass need not apply.)
An alternative national organization focused on hang gliding will be sharing hang gliding safety information to all the world whether or not membership is active.
Just as soon as it actually comes up with some - in about a month - and not a second later.
Safety trumps money from membership.

Those in USA, consider joining:
US Hawks Hang Gliding Association
USHawks.org
And if you're not in the USA you can go fuck yourself - you nanny-stating, freedom hating, commie faggot.
Brian Scharp - 2015/06/18 15:13:19 UTC

If that were true the USHPA Jean Lake report would be visible there now.
It's been here almost three weeks.
http://www.kitestrings.org/topic84.html
2015/03/27 Jean Lake crash
Tad Eareckson - 2015/05/31 09:18:47 UTC
But you should discuss it over on The Bob Show where one of the three other Fake Board of Directors members who isn't Bob or Joe has as much first hand experience with truck-trailer platform launch fatalities as anyone you can name. Pretty recent too! Just three years ago as of last Tuesday.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8143/7462005802_bbc0ac66ac_o.jpg

Also a good place to hang out if you're interested in blasting ACTUAL US hawks with shotguns. (20 gauge, Number 4 shot recommended.)
(But you're not too worried about that sorta criminal activity, are ya Scott?)
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

Fatalities at Jean
Martin Henry - 2015/06/20 14:47:49 UTC

Bille, I think the truth of the mater is the Oz Report (World Wide Hang Gliding Discussion Group)...
As long as you're part of the Wide World that isn't any kinda threat to the pieces o' shit in control of all the buttons that count.
...is far from being a valid news source.
Exactly. You're posting there, right?
Frankly, most forums lack disciplined exchanges of view that end up having any merrit.
Funny that all of the really meritorious people haven't all relocated to the ones that have it. Any chance you could post the list to help speed things forward?
Usually every topic decays into some sort of ranting thread with very little connection to the subject of the post.
That tends to happen a lot after one has carried intellectual castration to the extreme. And of course whenever a topic decays into some sort of ranting thread with TOTAL connection to the subject of the post and there's as significant threat of positive change rearing its ugly head...

Lately everything in the Oz forum seems to end up grunting and groaning about USHPA, Org.? US Hawks, Bob or Tad...
Please don't use my name in the same sentence with that motherfucker, motherfucker.
Occasionally there is a shining thread but its rare.
Can you name one? Preferably using the kind of literary skills that would get you through fourth grade?
(For me the forum is kind of like the tabloid news paper you see at the super market... "Brad Pitt bites dog" ...or "Aliens live in a New York phone booth"...
http://ozreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=22660
What can be learned from this "scooter" towing accident?
Mitch Shipley - 2011/01/31 15:22:59 UTC

Enjoy your posts, as always, and find your comments solid, based on hundreds of hours / tows of experience and backed up by a keen intellect/knowledge of the issues when it comes to most things in general and hang gliding AT/Towing in particular. Wanted to go on record in case anyone reading wanted to know one persons comments they should give weight to.
...you just can't help yourself...)
Hey Davis Show Dedicated Sycophants... Maybe try to up the quality a bit lest we lose this most valued Davis Show Dedicated Sycophant?
I would go as far as to say "The Oz Report" itself is far from a valid news source. Unless the "news" is happening within view of Davis or he has the proverbial "Brown Paper Bag" delivered there is nothing to publish.
Remember when he told us that many of us were using two hundred pound weak links and how happy he was with them! I still get a thrill just thinking about it!
A little surprised it too so long but no harm no foul.
Yeah, no other eleven year old tandem student pilots were killed for any of the thirty factors that went into Arys Moorhead's death during the delay. Or if they were then what the fuck... u$hPa was able to keep them out of the news so no harm / no foul - like you just said.
I'm a USHPA member...
Wow! AND a Canadian industry standards expert? I wish I had the intelligence and discipline to make it up to half your level.
...and a bit of a Payout winch junky...
Yeah? Then any chance you could enlighten some of us muppets why the typical two loop / four strand weak link for tandem surface tow operations properly installed and positioned between the tow bridle and the towline didn't break when it was supposed to?
...still my first view of the report was via the brown paper bag...
Good color selection. You don't notice the shit stains as much.
...(a good friend...
Who is SUCH a good friend that I couldn't POSSIBLY consider providing any hint as to his identity.

So here's what the u$hPa threat says:
The PDF file you are about to download is intended for members only. You may download it for personal use, but you may not upload or re-post the file on another website. By clicking on the button below you agree to these restrictions.
So your "good friend" downloaded it for his personal use and then, without permission from u$hPa, UPLOADED it to his email website for YOUR unauthorized personal use. In a brown bag, under cover of darkness, in fear of expulsion on the charge of decimating privileged information. Thanks for clarifying that for us, Martin.

Oh. And P.S. Even though you're a Canadian industry standards expert, crack investigator of tandem aerotow Dragonfly tow mast breakaway protector double fatal inconveniences and tandem unhooked launch fatalities, and a bit of a payout winch junkie...
Martin Henry - 80415 - Membership Class: Pilot
...you don't actually have any actual u$ ratings for ANYTHING. So that's how come you had to get your copy of the report from a criminal trafficker.
...forwarded it on because of my interest in the topic).
And withheld it from everybody else because no one else could POSSIBLY have the kind of interest in the topic that an industry standards expert such as yourself could. I would expect nothing more - sorry - LESS from any good friend of yours. And once you had YOUR copy you sat on it for exactly the same reason.
I don't really see anything wrong with how USHPA released the report.
- Yeah. Without a good system of privileged information decimation where would this sport be? George Orwell's 1984 when Doug Hildreth was just publishing everything he could get his hands on in the magazine where any Tom, Dick, and Harry who could make it to a public library was free to read it? Makes my skin crawl just thinking about it!

- Name something that your pigfucker establishment buddies have ever done that you HAVE seen something wrong with.
No matter how it was released, Its a must read/reminder for all payout winch operators.
Oh really?

- But none of the information that u$hPa totally sat on for that month and a half would've been of any use whatsoever to any payout winch operator training eleven year old people of varying ages during that month and a half period?

- Might it have been a must read for the parents and family of Kelly Harrison's eleven year old skydiving student? Ya think if they'd read a report like that they'd have happily caravanned down to Jean Lake for tether rides?

- Can you think of any payout winch operators - in the US, Canada, anywhere else on the planet who aren't u$hPa members and therefore aren't - and will NEVER be - PERMITTED to read this "must read"?
I agree with Blindrodie...
Name a total fucking douchebag in this sport that you DON'T totally agree with on something.
...the findings proved nothing new.
Oh really?

You didn't think it was pretty interesting that the driver made a typical turn for the typical downwind run of the counterclockwise circuit tow around the lakebed that was a typical operation for pilots in the area with twenty-three hundred feet of nice flat upwind lakebed still in front of him while the glider continued flying upwind? I'm pretty sure I've never seen anything like that before. But, hey, I'm not a bit of a payout winch junkie like you are.
It's the same old stuff every winch operator and pilot should know...
Really?
At 2:43PM on Friday March 27, 2015, Master rated hang glider pilot, Advanced Instructor and Tandem Instructor Kelly Harrison perished with his 11 year old student during a tandem hang gliding flight.
John Kelly Harrison - 55 - Nevada - 53375 - H5 - 1996/10/23 - Joe Greblo - PL TFL TPL AWCL CL FSL RLF TUR XC - ADV INST, TAND INST - Exp: 2015/06/30
So what are your thoughts on how come this ace u$hPa Advanced Tandem Tow Instructor didn't seem to know ANY of it?
...and graphicly represents the cold reality that things can go bad and they can go bad very quickly.
It was sixty-two seconds from the point at which the driver made the typical turn for the typical downwind run of the counterclockwise circuit tow around the lakebed that was a typical operation for pilots in the area to impact. I'm pretty sure I was over two hundred flights into my career before I got a duration as long as the thing's were going bad very quickly on this one. And I was fuckin' ECSTATIC to be achieving that kind of time when I got it.

I don't even consider THIS:

http://ozreport.com/pub/images/fingerlakesaccident2.jpg
http://ozreport.com/pub/images/fingerlakesaccident3.jpg

to be an example of something going bad very quickly. There was PLENTY of time to abort that "tow". But the stupid motherfucker couldn't do it 'cause:

http://ozreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1143
Death at Tocumwal
Davis Straub - 2006/01/24 12:27:32 UTC

I'm willing to put the barrel release within a few inches of my hand.
http://ozreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=24534
It's a wrap
Davis Straub - 2011/07/30 19:51:54 UTC

I'm very happy with the way Quest Air (Bobby Bailey designed) does it now.
Nobody's ever been scratched in a tow incident because things went bad very quickly.
If you ignore this, if you become complacent, if you don't have a plan, if you take a short cut... you will pay.
Wow! How many decades did it take you to become that profound? Got any tips any of us muppets can use to accelerate our journeys towards profundity?
To make my point about how threads drifting... early on in this thread I made what I considered thoughtful observations about items found in the report.
You should've held off. That last sentence of yours took care of pretty much everything.
IMHO, I thought they were "on topic" and of interest to anybody who towed.
IMHO, I thought the total load o' crap that u$hPa's trying to pass off as a report would be of interest to anybody who ever cared about anything of importance. So I said "Fuck you, u$hPa", posted it, and started ripping the crap out of it.
Nobody in our little dysfunctional group bothered to reply.
I replied...

http://www.kitestrings.org/post8007.html#p8007

Maybe the problem is that you're not looking at the right little dysfunctional group.
Am I hurt :wink:, Not really...
Not really? DO check out the post I just referenced - asshole.
...my expectations on most forums are pretty low...
Sorry. I know just how you feel as a result of my experiences with standard aerotow weak links. Wanted them to break as early as possible in lockout situations, but be strong and reliable enough to avoid frequent breaks from turbulence. Worked out pretty much the opposite. But I still stack the deck in my favour 'cause I'm not one of those to trade safety for convenience.
...not much useful comes of them (tho I admit, the use of a back up cam that we discussed in a private message many moons back was one of those shinny pennies worth picking up...)
Damn. Wish Kelly and Arys had had one of those. You're pretty much fucked when your primary cam blows.
Sure, maybe USHPA should have just published the report publicly, but what is done... is done.
A Davis Show Dedicated Sycophant, u$hPa member, industry standards expert, crack investigator of tandem aerotow Dragonfly tow mast breakaway protector double fatal inconveniences and tandem unhooked launch fatalities, bit of a payout winch junkie, good friend of an official u$hPa privileged information decimator, model of profundity, and, on top of all that, magnanimous to a fault!
Cheers
Martin
Get fucked.

OK, numerous tandem thrill ride operators across the county, go on back to doing whatever the fuck you feel like with total contempt for any pretense of any adherence to anything remotely resembling sane standards and practices. If nobody was held or determined to have been the slightest bit responsible and/or accountable for this one nobody will ever be held or determined to have been the slightest bit responsible and/or accountable for ANYTHING. Still, probably a good idea to try to make it look like you were trying to save your students of varying ages when you use them to soften your impacts.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

Jump to next post:
http://www.kitestrings.org/post8018.html#p8018

Fatalities at Jean
Gerry Grossnegger - 2015/06/21 03:19:41 UTC
Winnipeg

There is one new thing that this report shows...
The depths of depravity to which u$hPa will sink in the name of cover-up and obfuscation?
...and a few things that were previously thought of as not-so-good that it points out as more dangerous than was thought before.
Than was thought by whom? "Oh look! When it's a tandem tow we kill twice as many people as we do when we pull the same stupid shit on a solo tow! Who'da thunk!"
1) The wheels that stick out from the sides of the control bar (or the huge tandem-use wheels that are mounted way below the control bar (I've had that happen to me), or floats, or skids, or skis, or even those little WW wheels that stick out forward of the control bar, or anything on or near the control bar that a rope under varying tension (lots/none) could possibly, somehow, snag around, even small wheels) make a dangerous combination with any kind of towing where the tow force and direction aren't more-or-less constant.
Duh.
Aerotowing only involves gradual turns, and even those are at a fairly constant tension.
Aerotow bridles run over the bar and the pull is pretty much constantly straight forward so this is pretty much a nonissue. Anybody stupid enough to mount something on a basetube capable of snagging a bridle deserves whatever happens to him.
Step towing, around-corners towing, and tight-circle towing (less than a mile in diameter?)...
This was by no stretch of the imagination any of the above.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/03/28/12-year-old-boy-instructor-killed-in-hang-gliding-accident-police-say/?intcmp=latestnews
12-year-old boy, instructor killed in hang gliding accident in Nevada | Fox News
FoxNews.com - 2015/06/28

The pair was in the air when the truck the hang glider was tethered to took an abrupt turn, police said. KVVU reports the truck driver thought the two victims had been released before making the turn, which is usually done by the person in the glider.
Anybody who believes u$hPa's conveniently revised history is a total fucking moron.
...especially with a fast-sinking glider (like a tandem with tandem load & drag), like in this accident, can result in slack rope, getting closer to the tow vehicle resulting in a huge loop of slack (which sinks surprisingly slowly when it's stretched out almost horizontally in the air, and the glider sinking down to or even below the rope.
I'm having a real hard time buying into a rope that has a better lift to drag ratio than a glider.
The glider has to fly at some angle from the direct line to the tow vehicle, to the outside of the turn or more into the wind, to keep the slack to a minimum. Before the tension comes back on, but not much before, the glider has to turn back to the direction that the tow will continue in. Even when all that is done correctly (like in this accident)...
Earth to Gerry... Earth to Gerry... Come in Gerry... We're losing you.
...there will still be an arc of rope off to one side of the glider, and maybe not much below it. When the slack is taken up there is a chance for the rope to snag on anything on or near the control bar (even the pilot). It can be guided by hand, but only around things that the pilot can reach and before any real tension comes on. Once it's tight, if it can't slip off by itself, it's time to release or cut.
And don't worry... You're ALWAYS gonna have the time and stability to cut - 'specially when you've got a tow driver intent on line recovery.
In extreme floaty-slack-loop cases there can even be a chance for the rope to go around a wing near the tip (I've had to manoever a tip around a loop more than once).
Ever have time to run spellchecks on drivel before you post it?
Non-protruding batten tips can give you a slightly better chance of the rope sliding off the back of the wing, before it goes tight and cuts in and things break.
I'll make sure to get some of those before my next flight.
2) Any kind of towing where the rope can go slack makes it imperative to not have anything that it can snag on. With ground-based circle or corner towing, if there's any wind at all, there will be a change in the headwind speed & direction that the glider expediences.
- Flying hang gliders experience pretty much nothing but straight headwinds.

- Wanna see a really good glider expedience? Check out the red part of the track log:

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8819/18267685796_64156e9c91_o.png
Ground vehicles will likely have to slow (significantly, if they're going fast because the wind is light) to turn, and it takes them some time to accellerate back up to their previous speed, and more if they're no longer travelling into the wind (if there's a significant wind at altitude).

3) The tow bridle should be short enough that the release (including the activation line) can't possibly be involved in any kind of a tangle (like with the stuff above), even if the pilot's body is pulled way over towards the entangling point.
And make sure you don't use a Koch in which there is no bridle...

21-05520
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3859/14211794190_81949edf9c_o.png

...and virtually no possibility of a fuckup.
This means uncomfortably close to the chest, and possibly in the way of a parachute.
- Like with a Koch - in which the parachute issue is totally imaginary, like the one about chest crushing.

- Parachute?

1-1916
http://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5788/23461251751_e98b9c7500_o.png

What parachute?
That would keep the release from being jammed by an entanglement, and keep it in range of fixing...
On the ground is the place to be fixing releases. Same place one installs basetube pins and preflights stuff. If one can't handle that much one shouldn't be flying - 'specially with $139 a pop people of varying ages.
...manual activation, or cutting if something does tangle. A two-point bridle (pilot & keel)...
THREE point. Learn to count.
...might have saved them in this case...
It might have - 'cept you don't use two point bridles for platform, step, circuit tows, for reasons which should be obvious.
...since activating the top release would have let that end of the tow bridle (with no lump on the end)
There's no such thing as a tow bridle with no lump in the end...

http://ozreport.com/pub/images/P1020738.jpg
http://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2938/13700558193_0e0946218e_o.png
03-1304

If there were we'd all be using them everywhere. Just use a thin 1500 pound aerotow bridle...

http://ozreport.com/9.098
The thin 1500 pound aerotow bridle
Davis Straub - 2005/05/03

Bob Lane said that Quest Air sold over forty of their bridles (and Bob sold fifteen or twenty) during the Nationals. The Quest Air bridles use thicker Spectra and are designed not to whip around and accidentally tie themselves to the carabineer. Bob says his bridles will not do this either.
The people who sell them say they won't wrap.
...slip out through where the bridle was wrapped around the wheel.
The bridle wasn't wrapped around the wheel. It was hooked over the axle.
The report doesn't mention a second release...
Doesn't really mention a first release.
...so we have to assume it was a single-point (pilot(s) only) tow bridle.
Besides, why would anybody bother backing up a perfectly good idiot-proof tandem two-string release?
A pair of barrel releases...
Make sure they're the bent pin type like Davis Dead-On Straub sells...

http://ozreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=31052
Poll on weaklinks
Jim Rooney - 2013/03/11 18:59:06 UTC

I have no fear of bent pins.

Why aren't straight pins used?
That's easy. They can't be used with anything but thin lines.
They also can't be made with anything but thin lines.

Tad loves to forget that I've actually gotten one of his to jam.
NOTHING is perfect kids.

Straight pin releases can work, but they're not the panacea that these guys are claiming.
You can use them with thick lines without weak links and Jim Keen-Intellect Rooney has been taught how to fuck up straight pins so they won't work.

http://www.chgpa.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3107
I have a tandem rating!!!
Lauren Tjaden - 2008/03/23 22:20:15 UTC

The barrel release wouldn't work because we had too much pressure on it.
http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=21033
barrels release without any tension except weight of rope..
Bart Weghorst - 2011/02/25 19:06:26 UTC

I've had it once where the pin had bent inside the barrel from excessive tow force. My weaklink was still intact. The tug pilot's weaklink broke so I had the rope. I had to use two hands to get the pin out of the barrel.

No stress because I was high.
Simply not an issue with tried and true stuff like the...

http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=30306
Non-fatal crash in Tres Pinos, CA
Scott Howard - 2014/11/06 16:06:31 UTC

...the best i can do for now is a clip of the day b4 when i told the instructor about release problem. (still released by normal method but had to yank 3 times on release to get it to release.)
...typical two-string surface tow release system.
...to detatch the tow bridle (including release activation line!) might have gotten them free of the tangle, and been faster than a hook knife, but that's a slim might
Who gives a flying fuck whether or not there are iffy Plans B, C, and D for assholes who go up with cheap crap that they can't even rig properly and preflight? What a waste of bandwidth.
4) Even if the driver adjusts his mirror so that he can see the launch and first part of the flight, there's no way that he can keep an eye on what's going on way up there if the tow vehicle (and glider) are turning, and still drive.
How 'bout we just assume we've still got a glider back there until proven otherwise? Tell me why that wouldn't have worked for this one.
Even when turning to the left (driver's side), the glider will be obscured by the cab roof, or side pillars, or too far behind to see. Even with peripheral vision, cranking one's neck around, and sticking your head out the window (forget driving at this point) it's still almost impossible to see a glider at the end of the rope, at some altitude, and possibly swinging to the outside of the turn (like, to the driver's right side).
See above.
Possible solutions:

1) Minimize possibilities of the tow line entangling with anything on the glider. Even if there's no possible way that a rope could jam on a small round wheel, there is. Instruments, cameras & mounts, VG cleats, release handles, anything.
- Duh.

- Tell me why a release needs a "handle". 'Cause Bobby Bailey's a fucking genius when it comes to this shit, that's what sells, and it's not homemade funky shit?
2) Either don't tow in a way that doesn't provide a fairly constant tow force and direction, or make a system that provides a minimum amount of tension at all times by switching from pay-out to pull-in.
Even reading u$hPa's bullshit "report" tell me how slack developed without the driver having deliberately freewheeled the winch.
A combination of stationary winch and payout winch, that can maintain rope tension automatically no mater which way the drum has to rotate to do it, powered-in or braked-out. I think there are hydraulic motors that can do that.
C'mon KISS assholes... Let's hear some more blathering about Tad's Rube Goldberg lunacy.
3) Short tow bridle, or multiple releases, possibly one a little ways out on the tow line itself past any possibility of entanglement, maybe with an automatic release trigger, or a remote one. A release at any point that the tow bridle connects to the pilot/glider. A remote release. A spotter with a hook knife.
12-01125
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8809/18382342111_f94a5114a9_o.png

Fuck you, Gerry.
4) Obviously, have a spotter with a clear view of the glider at all times and nothing else to do but watch the glider, and hold a hook knife just in case it all goes to hell.
Yeah, a spotter with a hook knife. Why bother thinking about doing things right?

http://www.tost.de/bilder/Esek_zeichnung.jpg
http://farm1.staticflickr.com/384/19012826885_9214110a95_o.jpg
http://www.tost.de/bilder/SEK_20Endstueck_20S_2010.jpg
There's a possibility of making some sort of really well stabilized camera that automatically tracks the glider (drones for safety!!!) and displays it to the tow operator.
Or he could just assume that he's still got a glider back there until proven otherwise. And if we really wanted to go nuts we could set the tandem instructor up with a typical radio helmet headset and PTT button.
A spotter sounds cheaper.
What's the going rate for an eleven year old person of a varying age nowadays?
The major glaring thing that the report doesn't provide is pictures of that modified un-releasable (even when not entangled with the wheel hub) release.
And you think that's just a simple u$hPa Accident Review Committee oversight?

KSNV-8-21819-1
10-05810
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8810/16637299103_430a3e383a_o.png
04-03720
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7682/17231534196_42e7ef45ac_o.png
13-11509
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8684/17257514435_79a4f5a39a_o.png
The committee members visited the scene, met with local law enforcement, reviewed the flight instrument track log, reviewed onboard- and ground-based videos, reviewed witness testimony, reviewed accident scene photos taken by local law enforcement at the scene, and inspected all the equipment involved.
07-04707
http://farm1.staticflickr.com/282/18181332183_03c0aa3939_o.png
Capt. Peter Boffelli - 2015/03/27

The glider was supposed to release the tether from the truck itself. Apparently that tether release did not occur. So what occurred was when that truck turned around thinking that the tether was released the glider itself plummeted straight to the ground.
Nobody thought to take a picture in all the excitement that afternoon and evening or after u$hPa's crack "accident" cover-up team arrived a couple days later? We got a single Hang Two who came within three or four seconds...

163-20728
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8655/16487364578_83864d7bac_o.png

...of doing a Kelly/Arys prequel and he can document his own fuckup:

for anyone to see without even being a paid up official u$hPa privileged information decimator. But from this national news double fatal / child murder...

Where are all the conspiracy theory nutjobs when we have an ACTUAL and GLARINGLY OBVIOUS conspiracy?
What was wrong with it? Would it maybe have worked otherwise, even if it was wrapped around the wheel support?
Did you bother to read the fuckin' bullshit report?
Inspectors on the ground were able to activate the release following the accident only by the application of exceptional force.
What is it that we should make sure that we don't do???[/i]
I dunno, Gerry... If we're stupid enough to use an idiot-proof typical two-string surface tow release system it's pretty much inevitable that we're gonna fuck it up before too many flights have gone by. You think people who practice nailing old Frisbees in the middles of runways are gonna be able to pull off landings in actual restricted fields?

This was a total clusterfuck decades in the making for both Kelly and the culture. Fuckin' moronic to go over a shit sandwich with fine tooth comb looking for ways to duct tape and coat hanger it to make for a better picnic lunch. Endless threads on how to do stupid stuff moderately less stupid and nobody looking at operations in which everything's being done smart and right.

Dickhead.

Jump to top:
http://www.kitestrings.org/post8016.html#p8016
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

http://www.crestlinesoaring.org/node/1095
Las Vegas Accident | Crestline Soaring Society
Aldpal - 2015/03/28 14:23

The OZ report and Hanggliding.org have reports and discussions on the fatal HG tandem at Jean Lake in Nevada, that occurred yesterday.
Let's not forget T** at K*** S******. He doesn't get rewarded or protected from suppressing, distorting, misrepresenting information and hates just about everybody in the sport.
The coroner reported today that the instructor...
The instructor? He was instructing at the time? Not sure he was doing all that great a job of it.
...was Kelly Harrison, who is well known here in SoCal...
And now reasonably well known by the general public nationwide.
...and was a long time "E-team" pilot and instructor at Elsinore before moving to Hawaii. This is such terrible news, I am at a loss for words.
Don't worry. In the coming months lotsa people will be.
Kelley...
Thought you were talking about "Kelly".
...was my first instructor, and a great person, pilot, and friend. He will be greatly missed.
He didn't die alone, ya know. He was INSTRUCTING, right?
RIP Kelly
ETJ (Jack Barth, I'm guessing) - 2015/03/28 14:48

Amen!
Hallelujah!
Craig Uyeda (deafhangglider) - 2015/03/28 21:03

they should come to css area then foot launch to fly off safety than towing from truck .. the kid should save live by foot launch tandem....
The way Eleni Zeri and Lenami Godinez-Avila did.
Bille Floyd - 2015/03/30 11:48

I AGREE WITH DEAFHANGGLIDER ;
I agree with deafhangglider ; foot launch is WAY safer than Towing .
Expecially if there is NO obsurver in the tow-truck ; which appears to be the case with this accident.
And you're one of the foremost authorities on safety, towing, foot launch in the country - if not the world.
Second:
From 1980 to 1995, i sold about 2,200 tandem rides with No injury to any of my passengers ;
It's only when you're flying solo that you take off with:
- a kinked sidewire and no parachute and eighty percent kill yourself
- no hook-in check and hafta have both your lower legs amputated

You're REALLY CAREFUL whenever there are TWO people under your wing.
i NEVER took money from a 12-year old or his parents.
You never took money from the parent of a twelve-year-old?
- "Got any kids?"
- "Two."
- "How old?"
- "Fourteen and ten."
- "OK, you're good. Initial here here and here and sign at the bottom."
I always believed that children under the age of 18 ; simply didn't understand the danger ,
Whereas all children OVER eighteen - Kelly Harrison, for example, FULLY understand the danger.
...and shied away from taking them with me on a HG.
So you're saying (quite accurately) that a ride with you is a dice roll and you're willing to take a heavier passenger with whom you've got less control authority and are therefore more likely to have a fatal crash but not willing to take 83 pounds of ballast up with you because it's OK to take a chance on killing someone you BELIEVE understands the risk. Yeah, that makes perfect sense.

Using that logic you should be grabbing the twelve year old girl screaming in terror with her heels dug in and forcibly hooking her in and telling the twenty-four year old dude with the Red Bull T-shirt champing at the bit to go fuck himself.
This is Very Sad !!!
Yeah, Kelly was such a great skydiving instructor who did everything he possibly could to make it comfortable for Arys in his last moments.
agliderflyer - 2015/03/28 21:07

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/03/28/12-year-old-boy-instructor-killed-in-hang-gliding-accident-police-say/?intcmp=latestnews
12-year-old boy, instructor killed in hang gliding accident in Nevada | Fox News
Jeffw - 2015/03/30 18:28

Tragic for the 11 year old boy that was killed, and his family.
No spotter fro the tow truck driver? Driver with zero expeerience met in the parking lot?
No weak link? Homemade tow rig? no hock knife?
Previouse 2 "students: ended with broken legs/feet?
So poor kellY?!! are there not rules, guidlines, protocals? where they are broken? I am sick from the irresponsible recklessness of Kelly, and the death of the child. That is the only place my sympathy lies.
Aldpal - 2015/03/30 19:45

UNBELIEVABLE

Jeff, your post has lots of questions and indicates you don't have the answers or knowledge of what happened, yet you are comfortable making a judgement of my friends character, and say you have no sympathy for his death. Remarkable. The only facts your post contains is incontrovertible evidence of your character and lack of class. Out of respect for the CSS forum, I will refrain from expressing what I really think of you and your post. Hopefully we will get a chance to discuss this in person some time, so I can be a little more candid with my language.
And YOUR post challenges NONE of charges, suppositions, rumors, speculation - some false, some irrelevant, some clueless, some probable, some dead on - of Jeff's post.

And from the Day One mainstream media we knew three things beyond any shadow of a reasonable doubt:

- Kelly's driver fucked up bigtime.

- Kelly failed to abort the tow.

- An eleven year old kid was fatally pile driven into a lakebed due to incompetence and negligence in an operation and flight for which Kelly bore the vast majority of and ultimate responsibility.

And that, I'm sorry to say, wipes out all the positive stuff that Kelly may have done in his life - unless he'd previously run into a burning building and pulled a similar quality eleven-year-old to safety - and puts him permanently, irrevocably deep into the red.
Jeffw - 2015/03/30 20:15

The questions I ask are all things I heard from other poeple and if ture, it is unbelievable. And yes, my sympathy is with the child, the passenger, especially considering the above mentioned breaks in safety protocol. And i do know there was no observer, but by putting it as a question I was hoping to generate more details. I know as much about what happened as you do.
It is tragic Kelly died too, but sorry, he knew what he was doing, and screwed up the life of someone that put his trust in him, an 11 year kid! That is the real tragic, and If you disagree, that is fine, I don't mind, feel what ever you want to feel, and i will do the same. I think that is still allowed. I didn't insult Kelly, but I think the focus on him left an opening to focus on his mistakes that cost us all.
Tom Emery - 2015/03/30 20:28

Instead of focusing on the blame, let's respect the fact that a tragic event has left two people dead.
Yeah, but in no fuckin' way an accident. If Kelly had come out smelling like a rose there's no question whatsoever that he'd have been charged with negligent homicide.
Regardless of the "why"....and regardless of what you have heard...two of our flying community are no longer with us.
ONE of "OUR" flying community is no longer with us. Arys was a VICTIM of "OUR" flying community and its tandem thrill ride industry.
Focus on that. Say a prayer. Pay your respects to the families. Be grateful for you and yours. Please.
Yeah Jeff, shut the fuck up. Do the usual meaningless spiritual bullshit and take a flight in the memory of the two of our flying community are no longer with us. We sure don't want any non privileged information decimators shedding any light on any of the actual issues involved in this - 'specially before the u$hPa damage control teams have gotten control of all the evidence and have had a month and a half to try to spin things into a palatable story.

Fuck the focus and prayer and YOU, Tom. I know EXACTLY what your game is. I've been watching these patterns for too many decades. Pay respect to Arys' family by cutting through the police and u$hPa cover-up bullshit and getting a couple dozen of the right heads on platters.
Jeffw - 2015/03/30 20:39

yes, you are right.
No he's not. He's part of the reason this kid is dead.
Emotions got the best of me.
And now Aldpal and Tom have the worst of you - and will nurture and cultivate it.
Need to let go of the anger.
Need to amplify and channel it. If you are not CONSTANTLY angry about the shit that's got this sport in a death grip you're part of the problem.
I just flew with him a couple weeks ago, and Kelly will be missed.
Yeah, back to what-a-great-guy-Kelly-was mode. Fuck whatshisname.
Sorry to be so cold
CSS and u$hPa forgive you.

End of discussion. So Saturday's shaping up to be pretty good... Who's up for Marshall?
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

http://www.crestlinesoaring.org/node/1095
Las Vegas Accident | Crestline Soaring Society
Jeffw - 2015/03/30 18:28

Tragic for the 11 year old boy that was killed, and his family.
No spotter fro the tow truck driver? Driver with zero expeerience met in the parking lot?
No weak link? Homemade tow rig? no hock knife?
So poor kellY?!! are there not rules, guidlines, protocals? where they are broken? I am sick from the irresponsible recklessness of Kelly, and the death of the child. That is the only place my sympathy lies.

The questions I ask are all things I heard from other poeple and if ture, it is unbelievable. And yes, my sympathy is with the child, the passenger, especially considering the above mentioned breaks in safety protocol. And i do know there was no observer, but by putting it as a question I was hoping to generate more details. I know as much about what happened as you do.
It is tragic Kelly died too, but sorry, he knew what he was doing, and screwed up the life of someone that put his trust in him, an 11 year kid! That is the real tragic, and If you disagree, that is fine, I don't mind, feel what ever you want to feel, and i will do the same. I think that is still allowed. I didn't insult Kelly, but I think the focus on him left an opening to focus on his mistakes that cost us all.
This is fuckin' GOLDEN. This is the kinda stuff that TERRIFIES u$hPa and the tandem thrill ride industry.
No spotter fro the tow truck driver?
Bull's-eye. The tow truck driver was totally fuckin'...

05-00520
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8735/16803800108_b6092c97f6_o.png

...BLIND.
Driver with zero expeerience met in the parking lot?
I wasn't thinking THAT extreme but I'd be willing to take that to the bank. I was thinking the driver was some recruit who wanted to make a couple hundred bucks who'd maybe had some practice runs a couple days ago. But THAT statement syncs up REAL well with THIS:

track log and graphic and the initial police reports:

FoxNews.com - 2015/06/28

The pair was in the air when the truck the hang glider was tethered to took an abrupt turn, police said. KVVU reports the truck driver thought the two victims had been released before making the turn, which is usually done by the person in the glider.
It's almost unimaginable that anyone who'd ever once driven a successful tow would have so little:
- understanding of what was supposed to be going on and happening; and
- feel for what was actually going on
as to take the actions he did.

And we have a DAMN GOOD platform tow disaster precedent for this...

003-02019
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7062/13745952975_f9179a9be7_o.png

Recruited totally green and clueless crew, critical misconfiguration of the multi-string release / bridle assembly, no preflight...

014-04221
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3806/13745948525_5582fa1a40_o.png
016-04308
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3799/13746342624_c9b015f814_o.png
017-04413
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7397/13999525606_15bb50b143_o.png
022-04610
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2809/13746340634_a74b33d285_o.png
028-04910
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7192/14023087084_a243d83d9e_o.png
065-05106
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7083/13746254504_451f75ff02_o.png
077-05118
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7646/16221429674_147fd604ce_o.png

Totally obliviousness as to what's going on with the glider.
The first indication of the lockout to the tow vehicle operator was seeing the glider impact the ground.
086-05127
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7606/16656417750_82e4a661c2_o.png
088-05301
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3708/13746233274_c1a80f35c1_o.png

Doesn't get too much better than that.
No weak link?
Obviously not. The purpose of the weak link is to increase the safety of the towing operation, the only way the tow could've been LESS safe would've been if the truck had hit a mine, so the logic is irrefutable. No weak link.
Homemade tow rig?
Name some tow rigs that AREN'T homemade. One of the few things he did pretty well. We've had the report that the truck turned abruptly under the false assumption that the glider was off tow and the glider slammed in ON tow. Tell me the defect in the tow rig that would've been a contributory issue.
no hock knife?
What kind of idiot thinks of a "hock" knife as an emergency backup release?
I doubt it. Tandems almost always land on wheels and foot landers don't break legs/feet. They break arms and dislocate shoulders.
So poor kellY?!!
Try capitalizing the First letter and leaving the last alone. But I DEFINITELY agree with the sentiment.
...are there not rules, guidlines, protocals?
No. It's do whatever the fuck you want 'cause u$hPa doesn't wanna stifle the kind of innovation that slammed this clusterfuck into the lakebed. If it's rules, guidelines, protocols ya want then stay home and play checkers with your eleven year old person of a varying age. If we had rules, guidelines, protocols then people could be held accountable for violating and failing to enforce them. And NOBODY wants to see anything like THAT ever happen.
...where they are broken?
http://ozreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=24846
Is this a joke ?
Jim Rooney - 2011/08/26 10:11:31 UTC

Oh, btw... before you go there, cuz it is where you're headed... please note the word "Guidelines".
How do you break GUIDELINES? A guideline is something that looks like a rule or protocol but is intended and designed to be perpetually gang raped. And anybody who chooses not to participate in the gang rape can be safely assumed to be a fag.
I am sick from the irresponsible recklessness of Kelly, and the death of the child. That is the only place my sympathy lies.
Get real, asshole. Kelly was a Master rated hang glider pilot, Advanced Instructor, and Tandem Instructor. The child was just some eleven year old student who also perished during a tandem hang gliding lesson. Who gives a flying fuck?

The questions I ask are all things I heard from other poeple and if ture...
The ones that are true are true. REALLY true.

He DID have a weak link that u$hPa was careful to describe and tell us NOTHING about its actual strength. Thousands of reputations are going down the toilet in the wake of the Zack Marzec inconvenience fatality and the subsequent sudden passion for two hundred pound test fishing line so u$hPa has gotten totally rabid about not revealing anything about Gs, pounds, purposes, expectations. It's an absolute riot to watch this area of the devolution.

He also had a hook knife which u$hPa happily noted because they were able to make the point that it wasn't within particularly easy reach.

The homemade tow rig? Duh, they're ALL homemade. And they're ALL pretty good 'cause the ones that aren't don't get used. Not 'cause they're dangerous, just 'cause they can't get gliders in the air easily, quickly, efficiently enough to make it worth going out with them - 'specially for a commercial thrill ride operation. So... Irrelevant.

Previous two students injured? Probably.

You're obviously right about the spotter. There was absolutely no way around that one - 'cept for u$hPa's lame attempt to imply that the driver was a spotter with an actual ability to see what was going on back there by stating:
There was no secondary spotter.
A spotter WOULD have saved this clusterfuck so u$hPa gets to make a responsible sounding:
Recommendation that payout winch tow operations utilize knowledgeable and trained spotters capable of observing the entire flight and releasing tow tension by both dropping system drag and severing the tow line
and try to divert our attention away from the fact that they have absolutely no rules, guidelines, protocols, recommendations about the DRIVER who was two thirds of the kill equation on this one. I don't know what the BLM regulations for Jean Lake are but it's conceivable that he could be a totally blind twelve year old listening to Kelly on the radio telling him how hard to step on the gas, which way to turn the wheel, how much to crank the hydraulic pressure regulator.

Driver with zero experience met in the parking lot? Absolutely. Perfect match for the repaired and adjusted typical two string surface tow release system, handheld radio (mounted on his right shoulder strap) that had been radio checked just prior to the flight, hook knife in a sheath on the right downtube next to the flight instrument. It would be ASTONISHINGLY out of character for Kelly to have used a driver with more qualifications than five minutes worth of description of the remotely positioned pressure gauge/control valve/pressure release lever that was in the cab of the tow vehicle and instructions to drive counterclockwise around the lakebed over the phone the night before.

it is unbelievable.
Not so much to T** at K*** S******.
And yes, my sympathy is with the child, the passenger, especially considering the above mentioned breaks in safety protocol. And i do know there was no observer, but by putting it as a question I was hoping to generate more details.
You did. AMAZINGLY well. Nobody - TO THIS DAY - ANYWHERE - has questioned a single syllable of any of the serious charges you relayed. Rather you were personally attacked for your callousness toward the perp and advised to do nothing of any actual substance and to rejoin the E-Team good ol' boys.
I know as much about what happened as you do.
Yeah, they undoubtedly heard the same stuff from the same sources. And what would be the motivation of people familiar with Kelly and his operation to lie and besmirch his character? He's deader 'n a doornail and the overwhelmingly main thing he'll be remembered for is killing an eleven year old kid.
It is tragic Kelly died too, but sorry, he knew what he was doing...
Yeah, right. Like Arlan Birkett, Jon Orders, Zack Marzec.
...and screwed up...
Ended.
...the life of someone that put his trust in him, an 11 year kid! That is the real tragic, and If you disagree, that is fine, I don't mind, feel what ever you want to feel, and i will do the same. I think that is still allowed. I didn't insult Kelly, but I think the focus on him left an opening to focus on his mistakes that cost us all.
You watch what these motherfuckers AREN'T saying.

- Everybody and his dog saw through the absence of any hint of what was done to disable the idiot-proof two-string.

- The driver obviously wasn't a pilot or an established driver because it wouldn't have been possible to shield his identity as effectively as is boing done. ZERO mention of his qualifications, experience ANYWHERE.

- Implication that everything was fine with his radio setup because the tandem instructor was observed making radio communications to the tow vehicle operator several times during the flight but a huge emphasis on Master Spotters armed with razor-sharp cutting tools to slash through lines in instants.

They're treating the release and driver issues like PLUTONIUM.

Notice the way, right from the start, Mark G. Forbes:

http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=32681
Tandem crash in LV (speculation thread)
Mark G. Forbes - 2015/04/01 03:46:29 UTC

Among ourselves, we agree (via the waiver) that we understand we're engaged in a risky sport that can cause serious injury or death. We each agree that we are personally and individually responsible for our own safety. If we have an accident and get hurt, we agree in advance that it is solely our own fault, no matter what the circumstances might be. We sign at the bottom saying that we fully understand these things, that we accept them, and that we know we are giving up the right to sue anybody if an accident happens.

Those are fundamental tenets of our sport. We are all individually responsible for ourselves and our safety. We need to see and avoid all other pilots, avoid crashing into people or property and use good judgment when flying. If someone doesn't agree with those principles, then they don't need to be involved in our sport.
was sending out the message that everything was A-OK with the driver so we don't need to be nosing around in THAT direction? This is a few hours over a day after Jeff's:
Driver with zero expeerience met in the parking lot?
Yeah Mark... AMONG OURSELVES. The guy with all the gas guzzling horsepower - who's never even seen a hand glider before a half hour ago - can have no bearing whatsoever on our safety. Fundamental tenet of our sport.

Everything about this operation is being roller painted in the best possible light to the point of naked lies. This wasn't a world class clusterfuck with damn near everything possible fucked up in the most astoundingly and outrageously stupid and incompetent manners possible. This was:
a "perfect storm" of multiple factors where the elimination of any one or two of them might have prevented the fatal result.
and we just need to look at some possible ways to reduce the risks involved in these inherently risky tandem training exercises.

Wanna REALLY do something to show your deep and genuine concern for the sport?

http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=4171
Have you ever blown a launch?
David W. Johnson - 2007/11/05 00:57:23 UTC
Huntsville, Alabama

Just so you will know, blowing a launch is probably not the worst feeling in the world.

My fourteen year old daughter's first mountain launch went wrong. I got to watch her fall forty feet into the trees.

Everything turned out alright. She bruised her knee and even the glider wasn't badly hurt, but I have never posted the video on the net out of concern for the sport.
Swallow the video cards of all the evidence of the atrocities it's routinely committing - particularly the ones documenting the atrocities it's committing against people of varying ages.

I think we've FINALLY - after near three months - got this jigsaw puzzle together pretty well.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

Fatalities at Jean
David Williamson - 2015/06/21 18:59:19 UTC
Sussex

Slack rope.

When we were aerotowing in Hungary, a hanglider pilot had the tow rope go slack when the tug exited a thermal, flying straight and level in front of him. As the rope gained tension, it caught the corner of the control frame (no wheels of any sort, just the knuckle fittings of the control frame) and rolled the hanglider inverted. Weak-link broke and the pilot landed successfully inverted (king-posted). Any towing carries increased risk.
When we were aerotowing in Hungary, a hanglider...
I'm a little suspicious of people who use spellings like "hanglider". The URL for Lockout Mountain Flight Park is "http://www.hanglide.com/" for example.
...pilot...
Was he an actual PILOT or just another dope on a rope?
...had the tow rope go slack when the tug exited a thermal, flying straight and level in front of him.
Was there something stopping this alleged "pilot" from releasing at this point? Too much pressure on the very very reliable bent pin release?
As the rope gained tension, it caught the corner of the control frame (no wheels of any sort, just the knuckle fittings of the control frame)...
He allowed so much slack to develop in an aero towline that it was able to snag a corner.
...and rolled the hanglider inverted.
Must've been using one of those Tad-O-Links. If you fail to maintain the correct tow position (centered, with the wheels of the tug on the horizon), a standard aerotow weak link will break before you can get into too much trouble.
Weak-link broke and the pilot landed successfully inverted (king-posted).
Well, that doesn't sound like too much trouble. Probably WAS a standard aerotow weak link.
Any towing carries increased risk.
OVER WHAT? A running slot launch in crappy air? Cite some data to support that bullshit statement. How often do we hear that standup spot landing on the old Frisbee in the middle of the runway carries increased risk?

He didn't get flipped because he was towing. He got flipped because he permitted a really dangerous and very well known situation to develop. He COULD and SHOULD have aborted the tow before that lasso developed. Or maybe he could've just slowed down. Did he make any effort to slow down? If he was at altitude he could've just deliberately locked out à la Voight/Rooney instant hands free release.

Was he towing one point or two? It's a no brainer that he was using a release within easy reach 'cause if he'd had anything that WASN'T crap he wouldn't have been upside down waiting for his Rooney Link to increase the safety of the towing operation.

Run the same post but specify that the "weak" link was actually a one and a half G Tad-O-Link he swapped in 'cause he was tired of the inconveniences. See if Jim Keen-Intellect Rooney is still stupid enough to try to get through to us muppet stronglinkers.
Bill Cummings - 2015/06/21 21:12:46 UTC

Jean Lake -- a known preventable solution.
A a known PREVENTABLE solution? Why do we need another one of them? Kelly had prevented about twenty of them as it was. KISS.
More than a year before this accident I reminded tow pilots about snagging the tow line while step towing.
This was neither a step nor a circuit tow. The driver Kelly had just met in the parking lot ceased being a tow driver at 3:05 and went into line recovery mode. If you're happy to be taking u$hPa at its word on this you're twenty times too stupid to be engaging in a discussion about this one.
A lesson learn more than two decades prior.
A heavy rope extension at the end of the towline for step towing? That was a lesson "learn"? That was a fairly obvious tow system element. Not a LESSON anybody should've needed to LEARN.
After clicking on the link scroll way down into the quote until you find the red text. There you will find my solution that would have saved both victims.
The victim and the PERP, you mean?
Total bullshit.
The lockout developed after slack quickly came out of the tow line and the bridle came into contact with the glider's control frame.
Did you catch the "AFTER SLACK QUICKLY CAME OUT OF THE TOW LINE" part of that, Bill? The towline extension is only of use WHILE the line is SLACK and the glider's sideways to the tow making the turn back to upwind. This shit happened AFTER Parking Lot Dude hit the rewind button. It would've made NO DIFFERENCE WHATSOEVER.

Furthermore... Even if there hadn't been a snag it's not all that likely that anybody would've survived the rewind. Kelly was NEVER able to get the fuckin' glider turned back towards the fuckin' truck...

...and there WOULD'VE still been a lockout. The glider would've gone down slower and Kelly would've had more time to remember that he had a parachute but that's something of a stretch - given the degree to which he was a FOCUSED PILOT.
Due to lack of knowledge or disregard these deaths were preventable.
That sentence makes no sense whatsoever. But at least you're posting this stuff in the appropriate places.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

http://azhpa.org/azhpa_forum/viewtopic.php?t=7989
Yep--HG towing at the Sling Machine Fly-In!
Gingher Leyendecker - 2015/03/27 01:49 UTC
Mesa

Hey you guys!!

Kelly Harrison, a master HG and instructor from Vegas, will be bringing his HG tow rig to Alamo Lake this weekend!
Will he have his own driver? Or will you guys hafta dig somebody up and have him meet him in the parking lot?
He's been truck towing since 1991...
Really long track record. Cool!
...and can do both platform and foot launch tows (with the skyting bridle).
Which is a tipoff that he's totally fucking clueless - 'cause only people who are totally fucking clueless use Skyting Bridles.
He says novices are welcome...
Is there an age limit? Do ya hafta be twelve or anything?
...even those who haven't towed before.
How 'bout tethered? Can you go up if you haven't even been tethered?
He is also bringing his tandem gear in case any family members/spectators would like a turn in the air.
Or a turn at driving - just in case we can't find anybody to meet him in the parking lot.
Here is a link to their group:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1547390368864388/

You can also email him with questions at:

kelly@lasvegashanggliding.com
Better do it fast. He's only got another nineteen hours and fifty-four minutes left to live.
So come on out, it's going to be awesome!
I can just imagine!
The cost is just $30 plus $10 a tow for Kelly.
Can you pay extra if you want...
Manned Kiting
The Basic Handbook of Tow Launched Hang Gliding
Daniel F. Poynter

"A bad flyer won't hurt a pin man but a bad pin man can kill a flyer." - Bill Bennett
...a good pin man?
Register on the home page today!
Sorry. Too late.
Dustin 2015/03/28 23:07 UTC

See today's oz report re this plan.
2015/03:29 23:04 UTC

Here is the word from the Vegas group. We are very sorry to lose another experienced pilot and mentor:
Any thoughts on how the family of Kelly's last mentee are feeling right now? Just kidding. I feel your pain.
Hello Skywalkers,

I'm sorry to report that there was a fatal Hang Gliding Accident at Jean yesterday. The Pilot, Kelly Harrison and his tandem passenger...
What tandem passenger? I thought he was the tandem instructor's tandem student up for the tandem instructor's tandem instruction?
...where killed after their HG contacted the ground...
- Oh crap! It contacted the ground? What happened? Did they get behind on their flare timing and drop the bar? Did they bonk? Wouldn't the wheels have saved them? They WERE using wheels, weren't they. Can't really imagine a master HG and instructor from Vegas flying without wheels. Wills Wing sells this really cool wheels kit that lets you extend a pair of eight inch pneumatic Finsterwalders off the ends of your basetube.

- Are we absolutely certain that the Pilot, Kelly Harrison, and his tandem passenger weren't killed BEFORE their HG contacted the ground?
...at the drylake bed .
Pity the drylake was dry at the time. If the drylake had been wet the HG wouldn't have contacted the ground. Would've contacted the wetlake and then the bed. Might have been a much more gentle contact.
He was towing at the time and the police are speculating it was a towing accident.
Fuck those police! Always SPECULATING - and shooting people of varying ages with Airsoft guns with real guns! But back to the root of my anger... SPECULATION. It's disgusting and they need to stop! Just because they were towing at the time doesn't mean it was a towing accident that killed them after their HG contacted the ground. How do we know that they weren't bitten by a rattlesnake? The ground is where rattlesnakes are most often found - ferchrisake.
I would ask that knowledgeable pilots like yourselves reframe from spreading the speculation of the accident until we get more information.
Yeah, make sure that knowledgeable pilots like yourselves reframe from spreading the speculation of the accident - that it was probably a towing accident - until we get more information. Leave the spreading of that speculation to the ten least knowledgeable pilots in your club. Anybody with an IQ of fifteen or under need not reframe and should actually do as much speculation spreading as possible.
Kelly was a master HG pilot with instructor and tandem ratings with over 30 years of experience. It's more likely a medical event...
Like a rattlesnake bite, right? That would be a medical event, right?
...or a structural failure...
A structural failure! I think you're really onto something there!

07-03019
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8737/16790136379_c1c17b2f86_o.png

http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=32681
Tandem crash in LV (speculation thread)
Dave Pendzick - 2015/03/30 20:33:35 UTC

Something apeared overstressed. The picture of the wreckage showed the wings were folded in such a manor that would indicate structural failure from positive G load, which in that instance, would expain the glider coming down in a nose down attitude.
Probably had his wings ripped apart by a Tad-O-Link. Fuck that T** at K*** S******!
...would have been the cause of the accident.
What? No invisible dust devil? What's the problem? Does u$hPa limit the tandem thrill ride industry invisible dust devil dodge to two per five year period?
No other club members were at the scene or involved in the accident.
So you're saying that the driver was just some guy Kelly met in the parking lot? So you're confirming beyond any reasonable doubt that the driver was just some guy Kelly met in the parking lot. Thanks.
USHPA has assembled a team to investigate the accident.
Do we get to hear the names of any of the team members other than Mitch? Mark said he'd be working with two of the local instructors. How come you're not naming them?
I will share all information I have at the club meeting on Wednesday.
Do you allow guests or prospective members at your club meetings? Record and publish minutes? Why not just publicly post all the information you have? What is it you're trying to hide?

One of your Vegas pigfucker crowd just murdered an eleven year old kid. Why would anybody who isn't a total piece o' shit suppress information about any incompetence, gross negligence, and/or honest - possibly somewhat forgivable - mistakes?
Sincerely,
Ron Peck
Suck my dick, Sincerely Ron Peck. Everybody in your totally rotten little club too.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjQEuva574I
Friend of hang gliding instructor speaks out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0OhAs4IsFo
Friend talks about man killed in hang gliding crash
Elizabeth Gadley - 2015/04/28

John Kelly Harrison was well known in the Las Vegas hang gliding community for his skill and expertise. That's according to Ron Peck, president of Desert Skywalkers, a local hang gliding club.
Maybe a close multi-decade buddy of the guy who just snuffed an eleven year old kid ain't the best choice of someone to whom one should give a puplic platform, Elizabeth.
Extremely experienced. He... I mean he was... ADVANCED rating, the highest level you can get... Tandem rated, instructor rated... I mean he had all the ratings for the for the most advanced... And he's been flying for over thirty years.
How long had his driver been driving, Ron? We had THIS:

07-04707
http://farm1.staticflickr.com/282/18181332183_03c0aa3939_o.png

The glider was supposed to release the tether from the truck itself. Apparently that tether release did not occur. So what occurred was when that truck turned around thinking that the tether was released the glider itself plummeted straight to the ground.
statement yesterday evening. So how come you're not telling us about all HIS ratings and experience? Seems like he had at least a minor role in the way things transpired that afternoon.
According to Harrison's website - which advertises "tandem gliding lessons" - Harrison has been hang gliding since 1980 and has even placed in national competitions.
What's Harrison's website say about his driver? Undoubtedly somebody who's been driving tow since 1980. Would really like to fly hang gliders himself but he has serious acrophobia issues.
Peck says Harrison was HIS instructor back in the Eighties.
Taught him everything he knows. Next best thing to talking to Kelly himself.
He was STUNNED when he learned the 55 year old was the one killed in an accident in the Jean Dry Lake Bed.
What was his reaction to the eleven year old kid being killed? Was it so heartbreakingly emotional that you felt you had to edit it out of the tape?
Kelly has YEARS of flying experience. I... I mean over THIRTY years of flying experience. So that... nothing's NEW to him. He knows the procedures and he's a PROFESSIONAL at what he does.
You mean like this:

25-23223
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3713/9655904048_89cce6423a_o.png

guy?
So I'm still... I guess I'm still mystified that this accident even happened.
Probably always will be. Probably never know what really happened.

http://ozreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=30971
Zach Marzec
Jim Rooney - 2013/03/07 18:24:58 UTC

You weren't there. You don't know.
All you have is the tug pilot report, who himself says he doesn't know... and HE WAS THERE... and he doesn't know.
You weren't there, you don't know. All we have is the driver's statement, who himself says he made an abrupt turn thinking the glider was off tow... and HE WAS THERE... and he doesn't doesn't really know 'cause he couldn't even see the glider and the first indication he had that it was still on tow was seeing it "contact" the ground.
Impossible.
Apparently not.
I am... I mean... It's amazing to think that a man with that experience could have had this accident.
Poor Kelly. Having an accident like that. If it could've happened to him it could've happened to ANY of us.
And... And the great guy that he was, um, I'm just sh...
Shocked. Shocked!
...devastated by his... by our loss.
I feel your pain too, Ron. I too am so devastated by the loss of this great guy that I don't have any devastation left over for that...

...ratty little kid he took with him.
According to Metro, Harrison was taking eleven year old Arys Moorhead on a tandem flight.
Was Ron made aware of this detail of the accident before you got his reaction?
The hang glider was tethered...
Did the Metro Police tell you to use that bullshit "tethered" term to give the public the impression that the glider was just being hauled around on a few hundred feet of rope tied to the trailer hitch and for some reason hadn't been released from the glider end before the driver, unaware that the glider was still connected, abruptly turned into the lakebed in accordance with the normal agreed upon flight plan?
...to a tow vehicle when it fell from the sky killing both.
Lying bitch. Yesterday evening we knew that it was PULLED out of the sky by the "TETHER". This is your fuckin' job, this is a fuckin' HUGE story, don't try to pretend that you don't know full goddam well at least that much.
Investigators aren't sure what brought it down.
Wind shear, probably. Maybe an invisible dust devil.
The farther we get from ground zero timewise the higher the bullshit gets piled.
Yes, he WAS towing - but that's a standard procedure FOR flying. So without further information...
...like the fact that everybody and his dog knows that the driver was some guy Kelly met in the parking lot...
...it's... it's very difficult to even and... you know, to... to even GUESS what this could have been.
And let's make sure that nobody even GUESSES. 'Cause a guess is like speculation and we certainly don't want anybody coming up with a most likely scenario.
The FAA WAS notified notified about the crash and DID help at the scene.
Oh really? What did they help with? Confirming what the tail-less hang glider didn't have a tail number? Did they have any comments about the tether system or the typical two-string surface tow release system or the typical typical two loop / four strand weak link for tandem surface tow operations properly installed and positioned between the tow bridle and the towline?
But Metro is heading the investigation because the glider did not have a tail number and because it was being towed by a truck.
- Oh. So I can bust eighteen thousand feet, fly at night, thermal around in the Dulles approach pattern, aerotow without a u$hPa card and signoff and the FAA won't/can't do shit about it 'cause I don't have a tail number. It's in their charter. It would take an constitutional amendment to allow them to investigate a crash of any aircraft that didn't have a tell number. Thanks for clarifying that for me.

- But the Metro Traffic Bureau will head the investigation because, while the glider didn't have a s license plate, the truck DID. So they're gonna make sure the registration is current and the brake lights and turn signals are functioning properly. The tether system and the glider? Fuck, we're the Metro TRAFFIC Bureau - not the Metro AVIATION Bureau. :roll: We'll let the American Hand Gliding Federation handle that end of things. They gave us a call last night.

- They're not gonna get into the issue of the truck operating on the lakebed without a permit 'cause that's the BLM's bailiwick and the BLM's not gonna get bent outta shape 'cause who really gives a fuck about pickup trucks and kids on dirt bikes driving around on a desert lakebed.
Reporting in the studio, I'm Elizabeth Gadley, Channel 13, Action News.
Fuck you Elizabeth Gadley, Channel 13, Action News.

This was a broadband coordinated cover-up - Metro Police, FAA, news media, Vegas, Desert Skywalkers, tandem thril ride industry, u$hPa, global hang gliding - before the dust had settled.

Those two sites - Jean Lake and the I-15 / Sloan Road junction - were SWARMED with reporters, camera crews, news choppers. NOT ONE GLIMPSE of Parking Lot Guy. Anybody think that...? No mention that there even WAS a driver involved after Evening One.

Watch this video again:

http://www.kitestrings.org/post7758.html#p7758

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WnYC5BXdt48

By that night the driver has been airbrushed totally out of the picture. Probable equipment malfunction. Kelly didn't even do anything wrong. Just an equipment malfunction, shit happens. At a point at which THEY KNEW Kelly had fucked up the release.

NOT ONE QUESTION ABOUT OR REFERENCE TO THE DRIVER, HIS IDENTITY, EXPERIENCE, QUALIFICATIONS, PERFORMANCE BY ONE REPORTER - ANYWHERE.

Met him in the parking lot. Seventeen year old kid on spring break? Somebody's nephew?

Just occurred to me that we don't even know the driver's GENDER. Look at the language:

So what occurred was when that truck turned around thinking that the tether was released the glider itself plummeted straight to the ground.
That TRUCK turned around THINKING that the tether was released. Pretty smart truck. Must be one of those new computer guided jobs. These motherfuckers even thought to tailor the language to scrub out the gender specific pronouns.

Look at the report on the first page of this thread:
The truck driver served both as the driver and winch operator, with control over the tow pressure control mechanism from inside the cab of the tow vehicle.
Several times during the flight, the tandem instructor was observed making radio communications to the tow vehicle operator...
The tow vehicle then began turning for the downwind leg of the tow...
The first indication of the lockout to the tow vehicle operator was seeing the glider impact the ground.
Not even u$hPa slipped up on that. Those are THE ONLY references to the driver in the report (that nobody can quote anything from).

Come to think of it... We don't even know the tow vehicle operator's SPECIES. There's probably no regulation against a chimp driving a truck around on a BLM dry lakebed. And a reasonably well trained chimp could've EASILY done a better job than this guy did. Hell, we had them in the astronaut program early in the space race.

Amazing what blindingly obvious information jumps out at ya from this shit heap if ya keep your attention on it for a few months.