General discussion about the sport of hang gliding
Tad Eareckson

Re: instructors and other qualified pilot fiends

Post by Tad Eareckson »

Joe Gregor - 2005/07

EXECUTIVE SUMMARY:
Date/Time: 2004/06/26 ~14:00
Pilot: 53-year-old male, H-4
Sounds like you're talking about the guy on the glider - the passenger, the one who has the same rights and responsibilities as a skydiver. How 'bout the actual PILOT? The guy who's supplying and regulating the power, the one who controls when, where, how fast and high the glider goes? How old was he and what were his ratings, qualifications, experience?

Under no circumstances say anything about the tug driver. Tugs are the most efficient and effective means of getting gliders airborne, they're about the only things that keep hang gliding viable over huge swaths of the country, when you lose them and/or their drivers u$hPa takes huge financial hits. Make this entirely about the dead glider bozo. He's no longer of the slightest use to us. (Remember the way Pat Denevan totally murdered Nancy Tachibana - 2016/04/03 - and notice that he never suffered a parking ticket's worth of repercussions from anybody or anything we know about? Still teaching on their state-of-the-art equipment at their dedicated training site at Tres Pinos.)
Equipment: Glider - Moyes LightSport 14; Harness - Unknown; Helmet - non-full face
That's it? You tell us he had a helmet and that it wasn't full face, neither you nor anybody else tells us anything about head or face injuries, and you tell us shit about the release, whether or not it met any actual standards or had any history of failure, where and how the actuator was mounted, if there were superior properly tested and documented options available...

Backup release for when the primary fails? The primary release is a mechanical thing and all mechanical things fail. (Gawd, you couldn't get Jim Keen-Intellect Rooney to help you with this one?)

How 'bout the weak link? I've heard that a properly sized weak link very clearly will provide protection from excessive angles of attack, high bank turns and the like, keep you from getting into too much trouble for this form of towing. Must've been using a Tad-O-Link. (Ditto for the front end.)

No hook knife? The razor-sharp cutting tool that can slash through lines in an instant?

How 'bout the tug? Way down on Page 37 you tell us it was a Kolb but don't give us a whisper about how its towing speed stacks up against the purpose-built Dragonfly. A huge fucking deal was made about the fact that it has to tow a lot faster than the Dragonfly and the glider's tow bridle wasn't trimmed to help compensate but you're just gonna tell us it was a Kolb and leave it at that? Oh yeah - see above. There can be absolutely nothing worthy of reproach associated with the front end.
Wx: W 5 mph with thermals present
Care to mention the one...

http://ozreport.com/9.179
Fatality Report
Angelo Mantas - 2005/08/30

Soon after launching, the glider and tug flew through a strong thermal. This is confirmed by witnesses watching the tug, and the tug pilot’s reporting a strong spike in climb rate.
...everyone and his dog witnessed and/or experienced which was undoubtedly the single most important issue in killing the glider - configured as it was? Just kidding. Saying thermals were present was plenty good enough. It would be stupid to be towing if thermals WEREN'T present so this confirms for us that Mike wasn't overly stupid.
A highly experienced mountain pilot aerotowing a newly purchased glider experienced a low-altitude lockout.
- Behind a faster tug than people would've preferred while thermals were present.

- How do we know it was a lockout? Neither the Pilot In Command nor his passenger hit a release, Arlan hit the thermal well before Mike and elected to continue the tow. How do we know that tow couldn't have been sustained if the Infallible Weak Link hadn't decided to work BEFORE Mike had gotten into too much trouble?

Is this:

26-0712

glider locked out?

29-0808
31-1011
Witness reports indicate that the glider began oscillating immediately after leaving the launch dolly.
Not from what I read. What I read was that:
...almost as soon as Mike launched off the cart, he appeared to be having difficulty with both pitch and roll control.
That doesn't sound like oscillation and one can have difficulty with both pitch and roll control because of what the air is doing - and not because of what the pilot is or isn't doing. Ask me how I know. Ask...
Bill Bryden - 2000/02

Dennis Pagen informed me several years ago about an aerotow lockout that he experienced. One moment he was correcting a bit of alignment with the tug and the next moment he was nearly upside down. He was stunned at the rapidity. I have heard similar stories from two other aerotow pilots.
...Dennis Pagen if and how he knows.

They also unanimously report both planes getting hit by a thermal. The suck from the thermal as it's breaking off can do a number on a launching or landing glider. And that could've been the case here.
The weak link broke after the glider entered a lockout attitude.
Doesn't sound like it was an appropriate weak link with a finished length of 1.5 inches or less. They're supposed to break BEFORE you can get into too much trouble. So how come you're not telling us what the weak link actually was...

http://ozreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=559
Protow vs. weaklink
Davis Straub - 2005/02/21 12:52:23 UTC

A weaklink does nothing for you in lockout, as we already established.
...so we can dial it down to the point at which it does what it's supposed to?
Once free, the glider was...
...back under control and Mike was able to land safely on the runway with a perfectly timed flare - just the way Mitch teaches at Quest.
...reportedly too low (50-65' AGL, estimated) to recover from the resulting unusual attitude...
Oh, I so do hate it when my glider's attitude is unusual. As long as it's usual there's absolutely nothing to worry about.
...and impacted the ground in a steep dive.
- Whoa! Who could've seen that...
Manned Kiting
The Basic Handbook of Tow Launched Hang Gliding
Daniel F. Poynter

"The greatest dangers are a rope break or a premature release." - Richard Johnson
...coming.

- Good thing it impacted the GROUND in a steep dive. Things could've been really ugly if it had impacted something else.

- Why was the ground steeply diving and how hard did Mike have to dive in order to impact it?
The pilot suffered fatal injuries due to blunt trauma.
Oh. So the ground wasn't sharp where his inconvenience terminated. At least we have that to be thankful for. Probably took it in the face what with that open face helmet he was trying to get away with.
There is no evidence that the pilot made any attempt to release from tow prior to the weak link break; the gate was found closed on the Wallaby-style tow release.
- Good thing he had an Infallible Weak Link.

- How was the gate found on Arlan's release?

- There is no evidence that the pilot made any attempt to access his hook knife prior to the weak link break; it was was found fully secured in the sheath stitched to the right side of his harness.

- ATTEMPT to release?

http://www.chgpa.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3107
I have a tandem rating!!!
Lauren Tjaden - 2008/03/23 22:20:15 UTC

When Jim got me locked out to the right, I couldn't keep the pitch of the glider with one hand for more than a second (the pressure was a zillion pounds, more or less), but the F'ing release slid around when I tried to hit it. The barrel release wouldn't work because we had too much pressure on it.

Anyhow, the tandem can indeed perform big wingovers, as I demonstrated when I finally got separated from the tug.
http://www.chgpa.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3391
More on Zapata and weak link
Paul Tjaden - 2008/07/22 04:32:22 UTC

I have never had a lockout situation happen so quickly and dramatically and had no chance to release as I have always thought I could do.
Thanks for confirming for us that going for a Wallaby-style tow release requires a sacrifice of control in a critical situation and achieving blow is a real iffy proposition anyway.

- Well, guess we got everything related to the unfortunate tow thoroughly dealt with. Now let's get on with all the really important background stuff.
Reports indicate that this was only the second time the accident pilot had flown this glider (a replacement for his Xtralite 137), and that the previous flight had taken place at a foot-launch site.
What did the fuckin' launch have to do with anything? You said he was at least fifty feet up before things went relevantly south. The launch was ancient history before that point.
The pilot's last reported aerotow flight took place in October of 2003.
- When do you think his next one will be?

- His driver's last reported aerotow flight is gonna take place in three days into September of 2005 - a wee bit over two months after this bullshit excuse for a report in this bullshit magazine hits the stands. And he's gonna take a just-about-to-solo 32 year old US ski team member with him. And there are probably issues that you deliberately buried in this bullshit report involved in that one. You sleep OK with that?
Conditions: The accident flight was initiated from an airfield employing a dolly.
Stop the presses.
Runway surface conditions present at the time at the time of the accident are unknown.
I'm guessing flat and hard with little to no snow covering. That would account for the suffering of fatal injuries due to blunt trauma.
Winds were light (W at 5 mph) and crossing from the left. Low-level thermal-induced turbulence was present.
Whoa! Good thing there were no actual thermals breaking off right after launch. All bets are off when that happens. Maybe it would a be a good idea to stake the sides of the runway with wind streamers to guard against a launch at a really inopportune time.
Logbook: The accident pilot held a USHGA H-4 rating (obtained in 1983) with the following special skill signoffs: TUR, AT, AWCL, CL, FL, FSL.
Whoa! You'd have thunk he'd have had better skills and judgment. Maybe we should be taking a closer look at some of his ratings officials.
Detailed logbook information is not available...
And although Angelo's meticulously detailed incident report IS we're gonna ignore it and pad this report with a bunch of irrelevant useless crap to create an illusion of u$hPa being a legitimate responsible sport aviation organization. What's left of that fraud is gonna implode at Jean Lake in the early afternoon of 2015/03/27.
...but the vast majority of his time reportedly involved ridge soaring via foot launch.
- Too bad he didn't stay that course. Much safer due to its inherent simplicity.

- And none of that would've been thermal time so he'd have been totally unprepared to react instantly, correctly, authoritatively in an AT situation in mid-day conditions on a day during which thermals were present.
The accident pilot had flown one previous time on the accident glider...
What WAS he thinking?
...a two- to three- hour ridge soaring flight. He had performed numerous aerotow launches using his previous glider (a smaller Moyes Xtralight) behind a Dragonfly tug.
I heard a rumor that they can tow at a slower, more hang glider friendly speed. Any truth to it?
Medical: There were no known pre-existing physical conditions prior to the accident flight.
How 'bout after? Oh yeah... Fatal injuries. Sorry.
Synopsis: The accident pilot launched via dolly while being towed by a Kolb ultralight. Witnesses observed the pilot to oscillate first right, then left, immediately after leaving the cart.
Bull fucking shit. Oscillation is OVER controlling - and you can do it all the way up in theory. A lockout occurs when your control authority is phyisically overwhelmed by misalignment.
In both cases the pilot corrected back to wings level after reaching a near-lockout roll attitude.
Oh. He CORRECTED back to wings level after reaching a near-lockout roll attitude? He OSCILLATED to the right, brought it back to center level, then decided to OSCILLATE to the left and brought it back to center level. That's not an oscillation your describing. I know 'cause I've oscillated my HPAT 158 on AT behind a Dragonfly at Ridgely.

Oscillation can only be Pilot Induced. We were at maybe two hundred feet, the relevant air was smooth as glass, I was overcontrolling - after tons of AT time in all kinds of violently turbulent conditions, the tug slowed down for me, I got things back together, the tow was resumed just fine. If we'd been low and I'd felt a need to I could've safely and easily aborted the tow with both hands on the control bar just as I'd started coming back from an extreme.

And by the way... The tug wasn't the slightest bit fazed by any of this.
Glider and tug both encountered turbulence while still below 100' AGL.
Arlan reports a spike in climb rate. Was that due to turbulence? If so shouldn't we be putting more effort into coring it?
Witnesses observed the glider pitch up "radically" and begin rolling to the left while still under tow.
That's GOTTA be a Tad-O-Link. Simultaneously locks the glider on a path to certain death while overriding the focal point of the tug's safe towing system and overloading the tug's release and the tug driver's will to attempt using it.
The weak link broke with the glider in an extreme left bank...
Like this?:

1-1305
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3866/14552665986_6a87882667_o.png
2-1306
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7258/13851486814_77efdf1004_o.png
...and the glider continued to roll left to enter a near-vertical dive.
061-03627
http://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49973150233_be7ab2e04e_o.png
062-03708
http://live.staticflickr.com/5606/15600335029_3c234e6828_o.png
063-03805
http://live.staticflickr.com/8256/15786161205_1b6de38d88_o.png

'Cept with the runway a lot closer, huh Joe?
The glider struck the ground left wing first with a near-90-degree pitch attitude. Assistance was immediate, but the pilot died from severe blunt force trauma.
No...

Fatality Report

Mike suffered a broken spinal cord and was probably killed instantly.
...he didn't.
Airframe: The glider control frame was found intact with one downtube bent. The keel and one leading edge were broken off near the noseplate junction.
Who cares?
The glider was not equipped with a tail fin.
Well fuck... What WAS Mike thinking? He'd have obviously been fine if he'd had a tail fin. And/Or a full face helmet.
The tow release was found with the gate in the closed and latched position.
Seven months ago Robin Strid's...

http://ozreport.com/pub/images/robinsshacklebig.jpg

...is gonna be found with the gate in the opened and unlatched position.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/aerotowrelease/8318769461/
Image Image
http://www.flickr.com/photos/aerotowrelease/8318781297/

How much differenence in the results are we seeing?
Analysis: No electronically recorded flight information (GPS or barograph) was available for analysis in this accident.
What a bitch. If only there'd been some electronically recorded flight information available for analysis in this accident we'd have REALLY been able to start getting a handle on this safety thing.
As a result we are left with eyewitness accounts and post-crash damage analysis in order to determine what likely occurred in this accident.
But fear not, kids. We're gonna redact the part about both planes getting hit by a thermal which wouldn't have happened if there'd been streamers along the runway and wouldn't have mattered if Arlan had aborted the tow when he got hit.
Eyewitness accounts both in-flight and on the ground all agree that the glider entered a lockout prior to experiencing a weak link break below 100' AGL.
Really? The marketer of the Wallaby-style tow release assures us that we'll be experiencing the weak link break BEFORE entering the lockout.
The pilot employed a dual V-bridle...
What's the difference between a bridle and a V-bridle?
...system using the pilot hang point as one terminus.
Which one? The top or the bottom?
There is some controversy concerning the efficacy of this arrangement given the pilot's weight and skill level, but it is not an unusual configuration for towing a hang glider of this class.
Good thing there's no controversy about the focal point of his safe towing system. Otherwise you might have to extend this report up to at least fourteen pages - the way Dr. Trisa Tilletti will seven years plus a month after this report.
Lower performance gliders commonly use an upper attachment point somewhere along the keel forward of the attachment point, to help reduce the high bar pressures present under tow.
And be careful ONLY to mention pitch pressures and say absolutely NOTHING about bar...

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-2lk6hbjuJ-c/Ujh-ENPLQrI/AAAAAAAA3IQ/vh46chqQX4M/s1600/JRS_0542.JPG

...position. We don't wanna upset the pro toads and instructors teaching pilots how to tow one point safely.
This arrangement probably adds some positive yaw stability to the system, also.
- Bullshit.

- Tell me how yaw stability was an issue in this or any other lockout incident. The issue is ROLL stability - and a towed hang glider doesn't have any.
Higher performance gliders exhibit significantly less bar pressure, and access to the keel forward of the hang point is much more difficult to obtain due to sail design.
Yeah. You'd hafta do something like:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/aerotowrelease/8305999131/

And that technological advance is still another decade out for the people actually working on things. But I'm pretty sure I'd done that modification on my own glider prior to that incident.
The pilots of these gliders are also generally more experienced.
Yeah, you have to have TONS of experience to fly higher performance gliders. 'Specially to be able to safely land them in narrow dry riverbeds with large rocks strewn all over the place.
Thus an upper bridle attachment at the hang point is more common with these designs.
Actually... An upper bridle attachment ANYWHERE is virtually nonexistent with these designs. Davis doesn't even permit an upper attachment in u$hPa comps because it doesn't fit the definition of the appropriate bridle he sells.
The accident glider was new to this pilot, a bit larger, and perhaps also somewhat less stable on tow than the wing he was accustomed to flying.
Yeah, that would CERTAINLY account for the radical pitch-up we're all agreed upon having happened. Case closed. Now let's discuss the stellar success the Aussie Methodists have had in preventing unhooked launches and how we might be able to better evangelize their message.
The pilot was towing in mid-day conditions on a day during which thermals were present.
What at total fucking idiot. An AT rated 1983 Hang Four hooking up a new glider two point and going towing in mid-day conditions on a day during which thermals were present. How did this moron ever manage to get rated for anything and who rated him? And why was Arlan towing him?
The combination of all of these factors could have placed a premium on the accident pilot's aerotow skills.
Suck my dick, Joe.
Probable Cause: Failure to maintain aircraft control while maneuvering close to the terrain.
- Wow. This isn't just the PROBABLE Cause. You totally nailed it.

- I missed the part where anybody was MANEUVERING. Were there pylons...

334-160414
http://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1847/43259852245_563be59bb5_o.png

...set up on the runway through which they were weaving in order to hone their AT skills? They weren't MANEUVERING - asshole. They we're launching an AT and trying trying to avoid maneuvering like the fuckin' plague.
Mitigating circumstances include possible low-level turbulence inducing conditions beyond the pilot's skill and proficiency level to correct.
Yeah, ya really gotta watch out for those MITIGATING circumstances. They're the real killers whenever pilots fail to maintain aircraft control while maneuvering close to the terrain.
Discussion: Launch is one of the most dangerous phases of flight for a hang glider.
Whoa! Who'da thunk. I'll bet landing is another one. 'Specially while your maneuvering with mitigating circumstances.
During this phase the pilot is generally constrained to maneuver close to the ground while below, at, and just above stall speed.
Show me some videos of pilots maneuving on launch. And no, exiting the setup area on the way to the ramp doesn't count.
Aerotowing using a dolly mitigates some of these dangers by eliminating the need to transition from ground-handling below stall speed to active flight just above stall speed...
A dolly MITIGATES dangers of an AT launch? Why would any sane person use one then?
...all while manually maintaining physical separation between the wing and nearby terrain with the pilot's legs.
You're getting paid by the word, right? But heavily penalized for using any words of actual substance.
However, aerotowing introduces other dangers related to the fact that the pilot must separate cleanly from the cart (dolly) and actively manage an unstable flight system during the entire tow.
These issues are critical during the first 100' of the tow, below which successful recovery from a lockout attitude is problematic, at best.
Wow. If only Mike had known that successful recovery from a lockout attitude is problematic, at best, below the first hundred feet of the tow he probably wouldn't have maneuvered into a lockout attitude below the first hundred feet of the tow. Probably would've waited until the second or third hundred feet - 'specially with a dolly mitigating some of these dangers.
Use of devices that add stability to the system - such as a tail fin - should be highly encouraged for pilots making the transition from another launch method.
- How 'bout a release that doesn't incorporate an attempt into the procedure for actuation? Just kidding.

- He wasn't making a TRANSITION from another launch method. He was AT RATED. So is that supposed to mean something or not? Pick one. Either way you and that shit hole of an organization for whom you're working lose.
Recommendations: Exercise great caution when learning to fly using a new launch method, or when launching with new equipment.
See above.
Pilots should treat each launch method as an independent maneuver for the purposes of training and currency.
What's u$hPa's currency policy? Keep paying your dues or they shit can all your qualifications?
Pilots should not expect proficiency in one launch method to automatically transfer in whole or in part to proficiency in another launch method. Slope and ramp launching, assisted windy cliff launching, aerotow, platform and scooter tow, are all very different maneuvers, each requiring different skill sets.
Go fuck yourself. Anybody with solid Two level proficiency can pull off any of that in reasonable conditions. And when conditions get too unreasonable nobody can.
This is why the USHGA Pilot Proficiency System recognizes a separate special skill signoff for several of these maneuvers.
- The u$hPa Pilot Proficiency System recognizes a separate special skill signoff for several of these maneuvers to allow their commercial operators to get inside of your wallet.

- Mike HAD the fuckin' rating - and ended up instantly totally dead anyway. This organization is incompetent and corrupt and you can't trust anyone in it or anything about it.
Every launch method involves a transition from non-flying to flight while very close to the terrain.
Guess you've never done a balloon drop.
This puts a great premium on pilot skill and proficiency. When learning a new launch method, even highly experienced pilots should consider themselves equivalent to a new H-2 with regards to that particular maneuver, until they have accumulated a level of experience at that launch method commensurate with their general flying skills.
Keep up the great work, Joe. It's through the efforts of top notch individuals such as yourself that the sport's in its current death spiral maneuver.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

http://www.kitestrings.org/post3857.html#p3857
Report on the fatality report

When I saw how the report was being botched by Joe Gregor and the USHGA magazine, I was furious, I just couldn't deal with it.
Goddam right. It's absolutely infuriating and sickening to wade through that pile of pretentious pseudointellectual obfuscatory rot. But when you understand the game these motherfuckers are playing and what the goal is you can see EXACTLY what they're doing, understand why, predict what they are and aren't gonna say and do.

And note that when Joe publicly responds to you...

http://ozreport.com/9.188
Mike Haas's accident at Hang Glide Chicago
Joe Gregor - 2005/09/14

...on the Davis Show forum and tells you what a stellar job he did with his limited time and resources and what a jerk you are for being less than thrilled with the product the word count is 1272. The word count on the report itself is 1121.

This one has ALWAYS bothered me a fair bit 'cause I never fully understood what happened. I do as of 2020/06/23 and I now understand why I didn't fully understand it before. Combination of what might seem a minor inaccuracy in Angelo's report and deliberate obfuscation in Joe's.

Fatality Report

4) Flying through a thermal just after launching.
He didn't fly THROUGH the thermal. He flew INTO it.
Joe Gregor - 2005/07

Glider and tug both encountered turbulence while still below 100' AGL. Witnesses observed the glider pitch up "radically" and...
You put those two together and it's IMPOSSIBLE to understand. Two point gliders DO NOT pitch op "radically" in turbulent or uniform air. There's nobody on the planet capable of flying the tow to the point Mike did who would cause or allow that to happen.

This one's a hybrid of 2005/09/03 Arlan Birkett / Jeremiah Thompson and 2013/02/02 Zack Marzec.

A high tug is half of a death sentence...

15-03805
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8575/16461636509_bc5610be13_o.png
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7309/11414153476_3ca8cc4036_o.png
42-05328

And what do we have these assholes...
Dr. Trisa Tilletti - 2011/07

Higher EDUCATION
HOW TO GET THE USHPA AEROTOW RATING

It should be noted that the normal "sweet spot" tow position behind the high-powered tugs we fly here at Cloud 9 is lower than that for tugs with less power, due to our very high climb rate, climb angle, and deck angle. Thus, our normal tow position has the wheels of the tug above the horizon.
...telling everyone to do?

Yeah, the 914 climbs at a steeper pitch attitude than the 582 so to achieve the same degree of behindedness the glider should hang a little lower.

BULLSHIT. No matter what tug is pulling what glider the other plane stays on the horizon. That's your most efficient climb. Anywhere up or down you're burning more gas for less altitude.

Think stationary winch - à la Mike Robertson / Pat Denevan - with no step, negligible wind (we can't do payout), and a way downwind start. Initially it's an aerotow - straight ahead pull, steep climb, you really don't want the focal point of your safe towing system kicking in. As you climb the "tug" keeps dropping below the horizon and your climb efficiency keeps going south along with your pitch attitude. At some tow angle determined by your lift to drag ratio (and your line weight and drag) your climb goes to zero and it's time to pull the pin.

You never want the focal point of your safe towing system to kick in but the higher the tow angle the lower your pitch attitude and the less it matters with respect to the ensuing inconvenience. Low tow angle - your engine has just seized. High tow angle - you're dropping a skydiver.

Now flip that model upside down and you're doing a balloon drop with your nose pointed straight up - à la 1976/11/27, Don Cohen, Fort Lauderdale. (Didn't end well.)

It's a virtual no-brainer that there was a Trisa influence at Hang Glide Chicago. 241 crowflight miles between Cloud 9 and Cushing Field. Their Kolbs have to fly faster so let's keep the gliders a bit on the low side.

We know beyond the least shadow of a doubt that Gary Solomon wasn't the least bit concerned about outclimbing Arlan's tandem and Arlan was showing Jeremiah how to push out to keep up with the tug. So we also know that Arlan wouldn't have been overly concerned about diving the Kolb after he hit the thermal to stay down with Mike before he encountered the blast from below. And there's zilch in the report that WASN'T a total load o' shit that reflects the least concern from Arlan.

And we know that when we free fly in strong punchy conditions when we get blasted from below that bar gets stuffed every possible inch back until we stabilize.

Mike was trimmed a little slow, may have been hanging a little low, very likely pushed out to keep up with Arlan when he got elevatored, got blasted from, stalled and got rolled to port. Way too low in the kill zone, game over.

Only took sixteen years minus three days to finally fully understand this one - thanks to...

When I saw how the report was being botched by Joe Gregor and the USHGA magazine, I was furious, I just couldn't deal with it.
...u$hPa / Flight Park Mafia Joe's data shredding and obfuscation. And if I hadn't stumbled back on Angelo's report and noticed how strikingly well written it was...

He'd probably like to see this. He's still around - "Angelo" on both the Jack and Davis Shows. Last active on the former - 2019/12/19 21:35:58 UTC. Last post on the latter - 2020/05/17 23:00:36 UTC. If anyone wants to contact him...

P.S. Note that u$hPa / Flight Park Mafia Joe's data shredding and obfuscation was the most direct cause of Arlan Birkett and Jeremiah Thompson losing their lives. If the report had been competent and legitimate there is no way in hell that next one would've happened.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

I did a pretty thorough hatchet job on the 2005/05/29 Blue Sky Holly Korzilius atrocity at:

http://www.kitestrings.org/post10976.html#p10976

and, while warmed up on Joe Gregor, gave it a pretty thorough review to see if I'd missed anything. Nah, not really. But from the two photos in the magazine report - now included in the post:
Photos by Susan Flaitz

http://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50037239822_31b97dbf53_o.png
Pilot in the 2005 Florida Ridge Comp towing with the three-point (keel and shoulders) setup

http://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50036981136_840eb87237_o.png
Florida Ridge 2005 competition pilot using the "pro tow" setup
So what's a two-point "set-up" Joe? Keel and one shoulder? In Flight Park Mafia arithmetic there are no conventional numbers between three and zero. The countdown is three... pro... zero...

These:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-bRrpHNa68iY/UQ6Pv9gRZyI/AAAAAAAAjTg/Hc22bx5122Q/s2048/20943781_BG1.jpg
http://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7077/27082298482_cda1aba01b_o.png

are zeroes. (Formerly/Recently pros.)

Then I checked for the last Joe Gregor detectable pulse.

http://www.chgpa.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6904
Highland Aerosports 2016 Season News
Jim Rooney - 2016/02/17 01:33:45 UTC

Oh great... NOW there's a signing bonus?! (hahahaha)

Hrm. I don't have the answers here. I can shed some light on a few things from my perspective, but that's about it.
I hope they find a solution.

Training tug pilots is a tricky one. Yeah, it's possible. But if nothing else, it takes time. That little plane is a handful.
Once you've got someone qualified into the plane, it's a whole other ball game towing in mid day conditions.
Again, it's possible... it's just takes a bit more than you'd expect.
Till you've got a few seasons behind you, you're still pretty green.

The first hurdle for towing is well known and obvious... PPL.
Once you've got PPL though, you need 100hrs PIC. That's the one that trips people up. That's a lot of time and money.
20 hours (minimum) of your PPL will be dual and thus doesn't count. 100hrs is hella-expensive.
You need tail dragger and tow signoffs, but those are minor in comparison.

There are ways. There are also people out there that might consider towing. There's a lot of flight instructors out there flying for the sake of building hours. The tug can be an easy way to bulk up. There are also skydiving jump plane pilots that can be woo'd over to the dark side. Both of these types have the hurdle of learning to fly the tug though. Again, it's not impossible, but it is time and you have to eat your ego to do it.

KHK did a sponsorship program to get their guy. They helped him attain PPL and then the 100hrs in trade for a time commitment.
100hrs is way less expensive if you own the plane.

The scary bit though for a tug owner is green guys are high risk. Till you wash the green off, it's hard for a place to pick you up.
Add all that to the financial shoestring budget of a towpark and you can see the difficulties.

Oh yeah, then, once your tug pilot has some hours behind him, he's way more valuable out there on the market. It's hard to compete with the airlines.

Retired tug pilots though?
Like I said, I don't know. It's a tough problem.
Joe Gregor - 2016/02/25 03:16:37 UTC

I strongly urge anyone seriously thinking of flying the Dragonfly as an occasional club tug-pilot to contact Jim and Adam and have a long conversation with them on the subject.

The Dragonfly may have two wing, a tail, and 3-axis controls. But, it is still a unique beast. Close enough to being a GA airplane to suck you in; far enough away to give you a nasty surprise if your not on your game. It's not crazy, but I wouldn't describe it as docile, either. Excellent stick and rudder skills together with a high level of currency should be the call of the day if you want to avoid bending stuff shouldn't be bent. And then there is the towing aspect...

Believe me, I understand the angst. Highland IS my only flying site. First thing I did when I saw the post was to fall off my chair reaching for the phone to extend an offer to drop hang gliding entirely and commit to flying as a weekend tug pilot until Adam and Sunny could figure something out. But make no mistake, this was a panic move. Even though I have flown a variety of airframes both fixed and rotor; even though I had once upon a time trained and tugged at Ridgely with the Dragonfly; the learning curve to get back into that particular saddle would have been, well, intensive. And in the end all I could have realistically hoped to accomplish any time soon would have been to get in good enough shape to pull up a highly experienced tandem pilot under benign conditions in the mornings and evenings.

That might have been enough to help Highland - short term. It would never serve for a club operation. Solo pilots want to get pulled up when it's soarable. Go figure. And THAT would require a whole 'nother level of tug pilot skills and experience - to be done safely over the long term.

We have been remarkably spoiled by the level of operations at Highland. They make it look much, much, much easier than it is. I hope for safety's sake that they can find a way to keep it going.
Jim Rooney - 2016/02/25 22:04:23 UTC

Hi Joe.
Yeah, she's a squirrely little demon isn't she ;) ?
But then, if it was easy then it wouldn't be fun would it? I do love flying that crazy little plane.

I got to fly a King Air with Rick once (thanks!!!)... he clued me into an old aviation truism... I was a bit hesitant about taking the yolk of such a beast when he said... The bigger they are, the easier they fly. True to his word, that thing cut through the air like butter... it was like flying a Cadillac.

Like many things in aviation, that was counter-intuitive. Like the higher you are, the safer you are. For more control, go faster. To prevent plummeting at the earth, point your nose at it. There's a lot of backwards things in aviation.

The dragonfly is the other side of the "bigger" coin. If the bigger they are, the easier they fly... then the smaller they are, the harder they fly. Now, it's just a rule of thumb... the dragonfly isn't impossible to learn... but it does catch a lot of GA guys out. "Oh, that little thing?"... "Yeah, I can fly that.. hold my beer, watch this". Fortunately there's (a lot of) guys like Joe out there too who "get it" and approach the dragonfly with the right mindset (lets see what this thing's gonna do).

There are some fantastic GA->TugPilot converts out there. It's a pre-requisite these days. But yeah, it's not an overnight process either. And yeah, as Zach puts it, it's a "perishable skill".

Let's get Windsor out of retirement ;)
Joe Gregor - 2016/02/26 14:44:02 UTC

:mrgreen:

Jim,

You made me remember, and laugh. Thanks.

Big to small. Yeah. Nothing like transitioning from E-3 to hang glider to put your world in perspective. Took me a long time to believe what little collection of wires, tubing, and cloth could actually do. ;-@

I find myself convinced that, in aviation, the fun-factor goes in inverse proportion to maximum gross weight. Biggest reason I never want to stop flying hang gliders.
Last active: 2016/02/28 04:44:55 UTC

Rooney...

http://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48077012101_18b0b06c06_o.png
http://www.glenorchyair.co.nz/wp-content/uploads/Jim-Rooney-1.jpg
http://www.glenorchyair.co.nz/
Glenorchy Air | Discover Milford Sound and Beyond
CESSNA 206 STATIONAIR HD

ZK-JTK has arrived from the Cessna factory in Kansas, USA and is the newest member of our fleet!

The Cessna 206 has been described as the SUV of the skies. In production for decades, this aircraft is a well-proven stalwart of general aviation. The newest iteration of this aeroplane, the HD model, brings gains in speed, safety, and comfort to this classic design.

Our luxuriously equipped Cessna 206 HD has been purchased brand new from the Cessna factory in Wichita, Kansas and features the latest Garmin G1000 NXI glass cockpit avionics, comfortable seats, Bose Aviation noise-cancelling headsets and many safety features, including airbags in the seat belts.

The 206 has a 6-cylinder turbo-charged Lycoming engine, producing 310 horsepower at all altitudes, giving it an excellent rate of climb and a cruise speed of around 150 knots, making it ideal for our longer trips. As with all the aircraft in our fleet, all passengers will enjoy window seats with excellent visibility.
Never did a single goddam thing on the positive sides of hang and/or para gliding. Just accelerated the devolution of the former. (At least Ryan did something with aerobatics and photography.) The REAL pilots go from the big stuff - even fighters - to hang gliding. Rooney gets a uniform, drives a tour bus. No longer gets to be the foremost authority on anything and everything. I wonder if he now has untold scores of unidentified close friends in that game the way he always did in this one.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

SEARCH QUERY

Search for author:

Use * as a wildcard for partial matches.

sg
SEARCH FOUND 1 MATCH

Re: Difficulties logging in

by sg | 2020/06/28 15:40:38 UTC | Forum: Hang gliding general | Topic: Difficulties logging in | Replies: 1 | Views: 56
Re: Difficulties logging in

https://www.hanggliding.org/login/
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

These posts:

http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=12682
Landing on your feet (for AEROTOW)- So Dangerous
Jack Axaopoulos - 2009/06/29 14:26:26 UTC

OMG!!! You dont even have wheels!!?!?!?!? Image
YOURE GONNA DIE FOR SUUUUREE!!!! Image
I have a brilliant idea. People who cant land for sh*t.... LEARN TO LAND Image That way when a weak link breaks on you, ITS A NON-ISSUE. Genius huh??? Image
http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=14312
Tow Park accidents
Jack Axaopoulos - 2009/11/10 00:45:32 UTC

Tad, Do you EVER say anything POSITIVE about this sport?

Guess AeroTow didnt take my last warning seriously.
have been deleted. I think that motherfucker has deleted everything he's...

http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=22212
So long guys
Jack Axaopoulos - 2011/06/12 18:20:06 UTC

Like ive told others... if you want to go... just go. You dont get a free parting cheap shot at the community to tell us how much we suck. Sorry... no free attack on us while you exit.

Well I see now that you are threatening to delete your account in a PM if I dont delete it for you, which I can only assume means youre going to do what a certain other poster did and start vandalizing and deleting posts so you force my hand... account banned so you cant vandalize. Well this truly sucks. Threatening to damage the site just because you got pissed off is really messed up dude. You need to seriously chill out.

Accounts cant be deleted. It screws all the threads up. Sorry, I cant let you just start trashing the place, which is your intent.
...ever posted in his local coffee shop. Absolutely astounding.

Remember:

http://www.hanggliding.org/wiki/HG_ORG_Mission_Statement
HG ORG Mission Statement - Hang Gliding Wiki
HangGliding.Org's Mission Statement

Please treat the admin as a regular user. As long as you follow the rules, there is NO CHANCE you will banned because you disagree with the admin. The admin would like to be part of this community too without having to walk on egg shells because people think his word holds more weight for whatever reason. It does not. But the admin will do his job as moderator when he has to. But please follow the rules and don't make him do it, he doesn't enjoy that part. : )
My how times have changed. (Thank you for your service, Jim Rooney and Zack Marzec.)
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

http://ozreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=30971
Zach Marzec
Jim Rooney - 2013/02/16 05:05:41 UTC

But again, every tuggie's different...
Which is another way of saying that every tuggie - save for an absolute maximum of one - is incompetent.

And, for the purpose of the discussion, let's limit the field to the Dragonfly 'cause it was purpose designed and is probably the most effective and virtually certainly in the most widespread use. Ideally we'll further limit things to the 914 flavor 'cause...

http://ozreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9230
Departing the launch cart
Jim Rooney - 2007/09/01 02:39:53 UTC

Which brings us to the reason to have a 914 in the first place... you need one.
Something made you get a 914 instead of a 582. 914s are horribly expensive to own and maintain. If you own one, you need it... it's a safety thing.
And we know the identity of that single top gun tuggie candidate:

http://ozreport.com/9.008
2005 Worlds
Davis Straub - 2005/01/10

As he took off his left wing was dragging. Bobby Bailey, the best tow pilot in the business, moved to the right into get further into the wind, and Rob got his left wing up and flying as he lined up behind Bobby.
Nobody's ever taken a dust particle's worth of issue with that characterization - which was made the day after Bobby towed the Norwegian national champion to his death...

http://ozreport.com/9.127
Robin's accident
Davis Straub - 2005/06/14

Once the glider bounces off the ground, Robin is never able to get the glider lined up correctly behind Bobby Bailey and drifted continually to the left, locking out and crashing from a low altitude. If Bobby had released Robin at any time before the last two or three seconds he would likely not have crashed, at least not from a lockout.
...on Bobby's shitrigged excuse for glider tow equipment in a total shitrigged operation on a flight that should never have left the ground in the first place.

http://www.chgpa.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3600
Weak link question
Jim Rooney - 2008/11/24 05:18:15 UTC

Well, I'm assuming there was some guff about the tug pilot's right of refusal?
Gee, didn't think we'd have to delve into "pilot in command"... I figured that one's pretty well understood in a flying community.

It's quite simple.
The tug is a certified aircraft... the glider is an unpowered ultralight vehicle. The tug pilot is the pilot in command. You are a passenger. You have the same rights and responsibilities as a skydiver.
It's a bitter pill I'm sure, but there you have it.
Pilot In Command. Passenger pile driven to his instantaneous death on Bobby Fucking-Genius Bailey designed and certified equipment. All rights, zero responsibilities, accountabilities. Not ONCE in the three and a half decades plus of modern hang glider aerotowing has a tug driver been held or considered to be accountable for so much as a slightly bent hang glider downtube. (If we survive the douchebag dumping our ride into a low altitude stall we're supposed to thank him for making a good decision in the interest of our safety.) Pretty good record considering every tuggie's different. And thus it seems that none of those differences matter beyond a warm bucket of piss.

http://ozreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=24846
Is this a joke ?
Jim Rooney - 2011/08/26 08:24:31 UTC

Thought I already answered that one... instead of quoting myself (have a look back if you don't believe me), I'll just reiterate it.

I don't advocate anything.
I use what we use at the flight parks. It's time tested and proven... and works a hell of a lot better than all the other bullshit I've seen out there.

130lb greenspot (greenspun?) cortland fishing line.
In stock at Quest, Highland, Eastern Shore, Kitty Hawk Kites, Florida Ridge, and I'm pretty sure Wallaby, Lookout and Morningside.
Not sure what Tracy up at Cloud Nine uses, but I'll put bets on the same.

Did I miss any?
Is it clear what I mean by "We"?
I didn't make the system up.
And I'm not so arrogant to think that my precious little ideas are going to magically revolutionise the industry.
There are far smarter people than me working this out.
I know, I've worked with them.
(Bobby's a fucking genius when it comes to this shit... for example.)
Every tuggie's different...

http://ozreport.com/3.066
Weaklinks
Davis Straub - 1999/06/06

During the US Nationals I wrote a bit about weaklinks and the gag weaklinks that someone tied at Quest Air. A few days after I wrote about them, Bobby Bailey, designer and builder of the Bailey-Moyes Dragon Fly tug, approached me visibly upset about what I and James Freeman had written about weaklinks. He was especially upset that I had written that I had doubled my weaklink after three weaklinks in a row had broken on me.
http://www.chgpa.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3600
Weak link question
Jim Rooney - 2008/11/24 05:18:15 UTC

BTW, if you think I'm just spouting theory here, I've personally refused to tow a flight park owner over this very issue. I didn't want to clash, but I wasn't towing him. Yup, he wanted to tow with a doubled up weaklink. He eventually towed (behind me) with a single and sorry to disappoint any drama mongers, we're still friends. And lone gun crazy Rooney? Ten other tow pilots turned him down that day for the same reason.
http://ozreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=24846
Is this a joke ?
Davis Straub - 2011/08/26 14:04:52 UTC

We had six weaklink breaks in a row at Zapata this year. Russell Brown (tug pilot, tug owner, Quest Air owner) said go ahead and double up (four strands of Cortland Greenspot). He knows I used his Zapata weaklink in Big Spring (pilots were asked to tell the tug pilot if they were doing that).
Here's one who's ACTUALLY different:

http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=9084
Aerotow problem/question:Properly washed, I think
Damien Gates (Tex) - 2008/10/28 08:22:10 UTC

A good AND safe operation involves 'co-operation'. Sure if you are not happy with it then GET OFF THE LINE. But get behind a tug pilot who had opportunity and ability to assist in towing effectively, efficiently and safely AND DIDN'T, then they have no place being a tug pilot.
On a real short list of pilots behind whom I'd consider hooking up.

If every tuggie's different and aerotowing is the inherently insanely dangerous operation you portray it to be then we'd have a record of people being needlessly killed by the inferior tuggies with the inferior standards, skills, procedures, equipment. (We actually do but it's never acknowledged.) And if every tuggie's different there's only one we should have any business going up behind.

On the glider end - as on the tug end - there's a right way to equip, fly, respond. On 2012/07/03 Dustin Martin and Jonny Durand were two peas in a two pea pod. Equipped and flew virtually identically, landed after eleven hours and 475 miles at the same time within spitting distance of each other. Anybody with notions about being different and/or not being able to execute as well would've been left in their dust. And don't hold your breath waiting for somebody to perform better.

And when there's a million comp pilots saying the same thing to ten stupid tuggies - each of whom is different - then it's the million comp pilots who have things right. And the historical record has verified that beyond the slightest shadow of any doubt.

And what all you fuckin' assholes are telling us with that action is that they have zero confidence in the functioning of their front end weak links and ability to squeeze a joystick mounted bicycle brake lever...

26-12505
http://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50070923016_4101257a6f_o.png

...the way any eight year old kid can and will do flawlessly - without fail or issue - twenty or thirty times in the course of a fifteen minute session of fooling around with his friends within a hundred yard radius of his driveway.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7509/15659143120_a9aae8f7bd_o.jpg

http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=16384
Tow Release Malfunction
Jim Rooney - 2010/03/26 20:54:43 UTC

Dude, quit bogarting that stuff ;)
How's it go? Never say never.

Bent pin releases are indeed very very reliable. But 100%? Nope. It's exceptionally rare, but they jam. All mechanical things do.

If they were perfection, everyone would be using them. They're not. As with all things, they are a tradeoff.
But you'll NEVER hear a Flight Park Mafia tuggie talking about the complex front end mechanical thing failing. Those douchebags are in the niche they are 'cause they like to control and exercise POWER both to motor their way up to altitude with mediocre skill sets and over the UNpowered ultralight pilots from whom they're getting their gas and lunch money.

I NEVER ONCE over the span of over two decades had an AT launch with which I felt safe and comfortable. Even after I designed and implemented my clean bulletproof release system and figured out the Infallible Standard Aerotow Weak Link scam I still had the front end dump lever and breakaway tow mast protector to worry about. Those motherfuckers want power and to be able to project auras of superiority and invincibility. And keeping glider people in an eternal state of fear is a big part of that equation. And the more the merrier.

Fly Zack Marzec configuration. Show everybody what a real man you really are.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-9Ek9_lFeSII/UZ4KuB0MUSI/AAAAAAAAGyU/eWfhGo4QeqY/s1024/GOPR5278.JPG
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3725/9665623251_612b921d70_o.png
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-Xh_NfnOcUns/UZ4Lm0HvXnI/AAAAAAAAGyk/0PlgrHfc__M/s1024/GOPR5279.JPG

And that dynamic is NEVER gonna change. The only way that could ever change would be if there were a rotation between front and back end. And that's never gonna happen on any significant scale. That DOES happen in platform and that's one huge reason that platform...
Zack C - 2011/03/04 05:29:28 UTC

As for platform launching, I was nervous about it when I started doing it. It looked iffy, like things could get bad fast. I've since logged around 100 platform launches and have seen hundreds more. Never once was there any issue. I now feel platform launching is the safest way to get a hang glider into the air (in the widest range of conditions). You get away from the ground very quickly and don't launch until you have plenty of airspeed and excellent control.
...is the safest way to get a glider airborne while AT is the most dangerous non foot launch. AT would still be way more dangerous than platform but the gulf would be a lot narrower.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

http://ozreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=63203
No Flapping
Davis Straub - 2020/07/14 21:07:25 UTC

Dynamic Soaring?

http://www.cnet.com/news/incredible-condor-soared-for-100-miles-without-flapping-its-wings/
Incredible condor soared for 100 miles without flapping its wings - CNET
Amanda Kooser - 2020/07/14 18:09 UTC

An Andean condor, one of the largest flying birds on the planet, soared through the air for 100 miles (172 kilometers) and didn't bother with flapping its wings.

The scientists took a deep look at the connection between environmental conditions and the amount of effort large birds put into their flights. To do this, they attached data recorders to Andean condors that allowed them to log every single flap of the wings as well as the birds' flight paths.

The study, published on Monday in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, found that Andean condors only flap their wings for about 1% of their flight time. Most of that happened during takeoffs and when flying near the ground.

The condors' soaring stamina is impressive, but these heavy birds must pick their battles when it comes to expending energy on wing flaps.
Yeah Davis. Probably dynamic soaring. Hard to explain it any other way.
Jay Z - 2020/07/16 07:17:59 UTC

That's cool, but hang gliders soar over 470 miles without ever flapping their wings.
- All the freakin' time.
- Also while getting started and back to where they started and with comparable carbon footprints.

My, what magnificent beings we all are. Step aside, Condors.

Furthermore...

These were two assholes setting world record flights - downwind at the same time and on the same route from about the only place on the planet from which such flights are possible. Most of the time our efforts are a lot less stellar. And if they'd been competing against any six month old Joe Andean Condor with a reason to max out his point-to-point from the same start they'd have had their asses totally annihilated.

Now let's see if anybody on Davis's ghost town takes this douchebag to task on this one. (Col Rushton's probably our best hope.)

More from the article:
"Our results revealed the amount the birds flapped didn't change substantially with the weather," said study co-author Hannah Williams of the Max Planck Institute for Animal Behaviour. "This suggests that decisions about when and where to land are crucial, as not only do condors need to be able to take off again, but unnecessary landings will add significantly to their overall flight costs."
- Yeah Davis... Almost certainly a substantial dynamic soaring factor.
- The circumstances in which we can go XC, land, relaunch unassisted and continue an hour later or the next morning are virtually nonexistent.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=35666
OzReport : 403 Forbidden Error
Chico_MON - 2017/10/30 15:24:32 UTC

Anyone getting this server responce (Forbidden You don't have permission to access / on this server) when navigating to the OzReport? Appreciate your help
Steve Rodrigues - 2020/07/18 09:53:08 UTC

I just started getting the same error when I switched to new Samsung Note9. WTF?!?
Yep. Abruptly yesterday through my laptop on home Wi-Fi and via my iPhone's cellular connection and directly through my iPhone on cellular only connection. Plus:

Our Steve also reports being knocked out.

As some of you know I had a similar issue starting something under a year ago and lasting for quite some time. I didn't discuss this publicly because I'd thought it was a personally targeted attack and didn't want to confirm for Davis that he'd scored a direct hit. But now... Nah, sounds like it was just a bug.

Davis gets donations from keeping his shitty rag going so I'm guessing that since this one's a widespread issue he'll get things resolved in reasonably short order.

As I mentioned in my 2020/07/14 00:16:08 UTC post I've been revising formatting of early Kite Strings posts. That's what I was doing yesterday when I suddenly hit the Davis Show brick wall.

When we started Kite Strings I was worried about looking too anal when addressing discussions on enemy sites. I was sparse on repeating links to sources and was way less thorough on precise time stamps. I now realize that when you're creating a historical record there's pretty much no such thing as too anal. Also what a massive bitch it is to go back and fix things that weren't done properly in the first place.

Maybe something of some silver linings though...

- History refreshing. I'd virtually totally forgotten lotsa fairly major shit. And ya also rediscover shit that wasn't all that significant at the time but has become really major in the wake of subsequent smoking gun catastrophes.

- Patterns become more obvious and sharply defined.

- You find tons of major players who silently slipped beneath the waves with nobody noticing - or giving a rat's ass. I've started working on an archive.

P.S. Note that while The Jack Show has promptly responded to this Davis Show outage not one motherfucker in the worlds largest hang gliding community has yet noted that their coffee shop owner - who originally wanted to be part of that community too without having to have walked on egg shells because people thought his word held more weight for whatever reason - deleted his entire posting history sometime prior to 2020/06/29.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

Interesting little coal mine canary thing going on...

The Davis Show and Jack's worlds largest hang gliding coffee shop are/were THE two main international hang gliding forums. It's a good bet that everything Davis has been dead for at least a day and a half. At 2020/07/18 09:53:08 UTC on The Jack Show Steve Rodrigues reports that he's down and asks for responses. And as of this post's time stamp total ZILCH - one way or the other.

Speaks volumes about the overall health of the sport. (Compare/Contrast to/with what we'd have seen a decade ago.)
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

Finally... From the opposite side of the planet:

http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=35666
OzReport : 403 Forbidden Error
Col Rushton - 2020/07/19 02:32:08 UTC

Yep, I get that error code too and can't complain to my equal favourite hanggliding blog site about it either! Image
I'm glad I post on both and hope someone "tells", if it is their cause? Thanks SG... Image
Try posting something about T** at K*** S******, related people, his material or organization and see what happens.

Yeah, ain't it great that YOU can post on both - and not worry about the people who aren't allowed to post on either; had their discussions sabotaged, locked down, deleted.

Also don't worry about the fact that Davis hasn't bothered to emerge anywhere and apprise people of what the fuck's going on.

Jack and Davis are different flavors of scum and major factors in getting the sport established in its current death spiral. If you don't believe me read some of Davis's posts and do a search for some of Jack's.