Weak links

General discussion about the sport of hang gliding
Tad Eareckson

Re: Weak links

Post by Tad Eareckson »

(Boy it's nice to see the first post in a while here from somebody besides me.)

But some non and lesser assholes ARE learning something and we've GOT to keep the heat on until Rooney and the scumbags in his court - Quest, Ridgely, Florida Ridge, Davis, Matt, Trisa... - are TOTALLY destroyed. They can't be allowed to escape with any shreds of their reputations intact.

And actually, all we really need to do is destroy Rooney 'cause:

http://ozreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=22660
What can be learned from this "scooter" towing accident?
Mitch Shipley - 2011/01/31 15:22:59 UTC

Enjoy your posts, as always, and find your comments solid, based on hundreds of hours / tows of experience and backed up by a keen intellect/knowledge of the issues when it comes to most things in general and hang gliding AT/Towing in particular. Wanted to go on record in case anyone reading wanted to know one persons comments they should give weight to.
and then it will be child's play to at our leisure pull the wings and legs off of the rest of these disease carrying parasites and either leave them in the sun to slowly bake to death or crush them under our heels if we're feeling magnanimous.

He set himself up for the head shot with THIS:
Jim Rooney - 2013/02/22 02:56:08 UTC

Um... If you're going to start pretending that you're discussing his accident you need to remember that Zach was a very light pilot.
Zack put the crosshairs right between his eyes with:
Zack C - 2013/02/22 03:29:04 UTC

How light is 'very light'? How is this relevant?
And do the math on how long it's been since he's been busy not answering that question and everybody's been letting him get away with it.

No matter what, when, if he answers he's DEAD. But we need SOMEBODY to pull the trigger. Then we can cut what's left of his head off of his body, stick it on a pike, and use it as a starting point for a lot of discussions about aerotowing and unhooked launch prevention.

Any way you can get a note to Ridgerodent and let him know about all the fun and opportunities he's missing out on?
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

http://blog.kittyhawk.com/kitty-hawk-kites/remembering-zack-marzec/
asiler - 2013/02/04

Remembering Zack Marzec

This past weekend, Zack Marzec, a beloved hang gliding instructor at Kitty Hawk Kites passed away...
PASSED AWAY?! He blows a Rooney Link at 150 feet in a steep climb in a monster thermal, tailslides, whipstalls, tumbles twice, and slams into the runway and you call it "PASSING AWAY"?!
...in a hang gliding accident...
Oh! It was an "accident". Just one of those occasional shit happens things that can happen to anybody that there's nothing anyone can really do to prevent?
...in Florida...
At Quest which is run by a couple of douchebags who were trained by a bunch of douchebags at Ridgely who were trained by and taught at Kitty Hawk Kites before branching off and moving north.
...at the age of 27.
Well, I'm sure that what his life lacked in duration was more than compensated for by this wonderful sport to which we are so attracted because its inherent risks bring us truly alive.
Zack had been with the company for nearly four years and was planning to return this coming season.
Do we have some kind of archive on his approach to teaching so that that isn't lost for all eternity along with him?
Zack Marzec started his career with the company as a dune hang gliding instructor and worked his way up to a tandem hang gliding instructor.
Aerotowing, right?
Zack's positive attitude and passion for flying impacted many of the instructors and the students he taught during his time at Kitty Hawk Kites.
I have no doubt whatsoever. And I'm sure that that influence he had on them will live on indefinitely.
Zack was the type of person who never met a stranger...
Yeah, I can personally vouch for that. He never made any effort to meet me - despite the fact that I have the highest (and most hated) profile in the field of aerotowing of anyone in the world.
...and always encouraged people to try new things.
Fer sure. I can tell that just by looking at the equipment he's using in you're photo. I'll bet that he used BOTH colors of Cortland's 130 pound braided Dacron trolling line for his aerotow weak link. Maybe even took the 130 Magibraid up for a spin or two. If you're not trying new things all the time you really can't learn and advance.
His love of flying and teaching was an inspiration and an example for those new to the sport.
Yeah, well I was in the sport the better part of three decades before he was so maybe that's why I wasn't all inspired by him when I first became aware of his existence less than twelve days before it ended.
Bruce Weaver, Vice President of Recreation and Manager of Kitty Hawk Kites Hang Gliding School said, "Zack started teaching hang gliding for us in 2009, when he won the title "Rookie of the Year". He spent the next three years teaching and flying, most recently as a tandem instructor at the airport and at Morningside Flight Park in Charlestown, New Hampshire.
Super.

- Does Bruce Weaver, Vice President of Recreation and Manager of Kitty Hawk Kites Hang Gliding School, have any thoughts on what went wrong on Zack's final flight? There's been a lot of discussion about it, none of us - including a lot of the top minds in the industry - have the slightest clue what the problem was, there's been a lot of counterproductive speculation, and the usual trolls have come out of the woodwork to exploit this tragedy for the sole purpose of furthering their twisted agendas and some of the more vulnerable and easily mislead flyers are starting to listen to them. If Bruce (whom I last saw at Chad Elchin's funeral) could shed some light on this situation it would be MOST appreciated.

- Any chance that hang glider aerotowing has some serious systemic problems that nobody's doing anything about and it was one of those that precipitated Zack's passing away?

- Any chance that any of the people he taught at Currituck and Morningside were indoctrinated with any of the flawed theory that became problematic at Quest three weeks ago today and are themselves at substantial risk of passing away as a consequence?

- I understand that Morningside is putting people up on a weak link 54 percent heavier than the one preferred at Currituck and Quest and blew up in Zack's face a several seconds before the impact with the runway that led to his passing away. Can you explain to us why he felt less comfortable with the one with the shorter track record and tell us how he justified sending people up on the 200 at Morningside while continuing to fly the safer stuff himself at both operations?
He had a passion and a gift for flying and teaching and truly lived his life to the fullest.
Yeah, name somebody in hang gliding who doesn't. I'm afraid that a lot more than that is required to participate in this sport in a safe and sane manner and teach it responsibly.
His positivity and enthusiasm were contagious...
Like Ebola virus.
...and he enriched the lives of the thousands of people he taught and of all those who knew him.
Oh good, I can hardly wait to start seeing some of the results. So where are these thousands of people in the discussions we've been having about this one and what conclusions are they moving towards?
We will miss him greatly."
And what will you do to reduce the chances of one of your many other instructors who has a passion and gift for flying and teaching, is truly living his life to the fullest, has contagious positivity and enthusiasm, and is enriching the lives of the thousands of people he's teaching passing away in a similar manner?
We will miss him greatly."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLTDPeB55ek
I'm so very touched.
Our deepest sympathies are sent to the family and friends of Zack Marzec.
Any apologies for the total shit job you useless goddam assholes did in training and qualifying him and/or recall notices to the people he - and your other asshole instructors at Currituck like Dennis Wood - trained and qualified?
We have lost an amazing member of our team this weekend and we hold onto the many memories Zack gave us during his time at Kitty Hawk Kites.
In response to this incident there are currently 153 Jack Show Posts, 183 Davis Show, posts, and 210 posts here on Kite Strings and USHGA has deleted all references to aerotowing equipment from its SOPs. And show me where you sleazy motherfuckers have posted ONE WORD in the way of an advisory about this one.
Fly, Fly, Fly.
And don't worry about a thing 'cause we've been doing this for over twenty years and are quite familiar and comfortable with our processes.

Go fuck yourselves.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

http://www.kittyhawk.com/hang-gliding/tandem-hang-gliding-lessons/
http://www.kittyhawk.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/windscockpond1-e1328209334510-780x300.jpg

TANDEM HANG GLIDING LESSONS

Fly to altitudes of 2000 ft. or higher with a certified instructor...
Who certified him and under what standards?
...from our tow site at Currituck County airport. The views of Currituck Sound, the ocean, and the surrounding countryside are breathtaking from these altitudes.
Assuming you get to those altitudes.
Once released from the tow plane...
Has anybody ever had any problem releasing from the tow plane...

http://www.chgpa.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3107
I have a tandem rating!!!
Lauren Tjaden - 2008/03/23 22:20:15 UTC

When Jim got me locked out to the right, I couldn't keep the pitch of the glider with one hand for more than a second (the pressure was a zillion pounds, more or less), but the F'ing release slid around when I tried to hit it. The barrel release wouldn't work because we had too much pressure on it.

Anyhow, the tandem can indeed perform big wingovers, as I demonstrated when I finally got separated from the tug.
...using any of the equipment portrayed in the above photograph? Does it meet any standards and/or has it been tested to give the assurance that it can handle any possible load?

Have the bridle constructions been optimized to...

http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=14230
pro tow set-up
Jim Rooney - 2009/11/02 18:58:13 UTC

Oh it happens.
I have, all the guys I work with have.
(Our average is 1 in 1,000 tows)

Oh yeah... an other fun fact for ya... ya know when it's far more likely to happen? During a lockout. When we're doing lockout training, the odds go from 1 in 1,000 to over 50/50.
...minimize the probability of wrapping at the tow ring?

Do you configure your weak links to comply...

http://www.chgpa.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3600
Weak link question
Jim Rooney - 2008/11/20 22:25:38 UTC

Something to bear in mind... the tug's weaklink is three strand.
For clarity... A normal single loop weaklink would be considered two. A tandem double loop is considered four.
In the tandem setup, the "weaklink" in the system is at the tug end, not the glider.
...with FAA aerotowing regulations? Do you have any fucking clue what your weak link breaking strengths are or whether they comply with minimum requirements?
...the only sounds are from you, the instructor, and the wind flowing around you. These elements, combined with stalls, dives...
Is there any possibility of the glider stalling and diving before it's been pulled up to an altitude sufficient to complete the dive and level out?
...and turns, are sure to make tandem hang gliding the most exciting and memorable experience of your stay in the Outer Banks.
Yep, sometimes those tows are real exciting. Memorable too - although not necessarily for all that long by the people actually on the flight.
In tandem hang gliding, the student and instructor are hooked into the glider together. The glider is designed specifically for tandems with a larger wing area for more lift and tricycle landing gear...
It isn't tricycle landing gear, you moron. It's a tail dragger configuration.
...to simplify take offs and landings.
Oh. The landings are SIMPLIFIED. Does that tend to make them safer?

How 'bout the complex landings you force students to do for rating signoffs?
Gil Dodgen - 1995/01

All of this reminds me of a comment Mike Meier made when he was learning to fly sailplanes. He mentioned how easy it was to land a sailplane (with spoilers for glide-path control and wheels), and then said, "If other aircraft were as difficult to land as hang gliders no one would fly them."
Are they as safe as the simplified landings? And, if not, why do you require people to do them? So you can sell them more downtubes back at the shop?
An ultralight plane tows you to altitude...
Is there anything between the ultralight plane and the glider which could break and prevent you from getting to altitude, perhaps permanently? I understand one of your tandem instructors had some sort of problem along those lines three weeks ago.
...the glider is released, then you and your instructor glide back to the airport where you land like a plane.
Instead of that insane bullshit you have all your solo students doing so they'll be able to safely park it in a narrow dry riverbed with large rocks strewn all over the place or a field filled with seven foot high corn whenever the need arises.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

http://blog.kittyhawk.com/kitty-hawk-kites/remembering-zack-marzec/
Bobbi Mendenhall - 2013/02/12

I am Zack's parents' very old first cousin. Here is the eulogy Zack's brother, Ryan Marzec, gave at Zack's celebration of life. It is so touching.
--
When people used to ask me about my brother, attempts at describing him would fall short, concluded simply by saying, 'you just have to meet him, he is one of a kind'. Since he can no longer provide that exceptionally unique experience we must learn to put words in place of the emotions he instilled, in a crude attempt to justly portrait him.

He was infectious.
I'm not counting that as a GOOD thing.
From the moment you first see him he has your attention. Flamboyantly colorful clothes, uniquely loud hair, perceivably positive energy surrounding him, always, always a huge smile and an outstretched hand. "Hi I'm Zack."
A friend to every pilot he ever met, no doubt.
Humbly shy just for a moment, led directly to his abundantly inquisitive nature.
Would you happen to know if he ever did a Google search for:

"hang gliding" "weak link"
His amazing imagination made him a great listener.
Too bad he never listened to people like Mike Lake and me.
He wanted to know what made you happy, your passions and what inspired you.
Well, it's a bit late now but I love teaching hang gliding and it would've made me as happy as I can ever expect to be to have gotten through to him on the issues of hang glider aerotowing equipment and gotten him on board with helping me get this horribly broken system of ours cleaned up.
Even if he couldn't place himself in your shoes, he would read your energy and enthusiasm and he would relate.
Seems like he like he hit it off with Rooney just fine. Probably ditto with Russ Brown, Paul and Lauren, Mitch...
Everything you said to him was interesting, was exciting.
Yeah, sometimes you need to be a little more discriminating than that - especially when aviation is your chosen field.
Every moment with him was memorable because he always made it about you. The ease of communication, and the energy of conversation would naturally move his direction, as you can't help but wonder what made him tick.
Nothing anymore. At the last opportunity all he really needed to keep him ticking was a few centimeters of 250 pound fishing line.
Likely he would start by telling you what he did, since what he did every day meant everything to him.
Too bad he was always too busy being bubbly to knuckle down and learn the fundamental theory behind what he was doing every day.
Of course he would light up, bright eyed, smiling face, he would very proudly say "I teach people to fly".
Unfortunately there's one helluva lot more to this piloting game than learning to fly. Any moron can learn to fly in a few sessions - but that ain't anywhere near to what's required to do it competently.
He would speak with such enthusiasm, motivated by his passion for experience and his drive to feel freedom. To inspire freedom.
Anybody who thinks for a nanosecond that this aviation game, ESPECIALLY the hang gliding flavor, and especially the aerotow flavor on top of that, is about FREEDOM is a fuckin' fatality waiting to happen.

This doesn't have shit to do with freedom. This has everything to do with following very strict and brutally enforced rules so that you can enjoy this amazing experience of being able to fly like a bird for a long, safe, happy career. For lotsa folk it winds up being pass/fail - and he flunked bigtime after a very short, dangerous, inappropriately happy career.
So many beautiful things have been written and said by people that have spent, at times, just a moment with him.
Anything you can quote from Jim Keen-Intellect Rooney? How 'bout any of the Quest folk? They've been rather strangely silent since shortly after snuffing him.
For those of us who are fortunate to have extensive experiences with him, I offer my words as a mere beginning, to what I know will be a simply heartwarming plethora of happy stories. We cannot justify his life with a million of them, but I hope he hears us try.
For those of you who have had extensive hang gliding experiences with him, I highly recommend that you get the fuck over to this forum so you can understand what happened to him and make sure it doesn't happen to you.
He always forced me to be his big brother. To be the responsible one. To be protective and therefor less fun.
Yeah, I'm not finding these statements terribly surprising.
But he taught me to open my mind, to believe in myself, to slow down and take time to enjoy every moment, to lose myself in my imagination.
Those all tend to be really bad ideas in aviation. You really need to shut your mind down immediately when you hear assholes using numbers that don't line up with theory, always assume that you're gonna fuck up bigtime within the next two to fifteen seconds depending upon your situation, and save the just about all of the imagination stuff for when your safely parked in front of a television.
To be patient and selfless.
I'm not seeing the patience thing and it doesn't appear that any selflessness was well directed. Some of us have worked our asses off to develop procedures, standards, and equipment for preventing this sort of thing and I don't remember getting much help from your brother.
He always told me he looked up to me, but it was he whom I aspired to be.
Given the outcome you might wanna rethink things a bit.
He was a joy to watch with a soccer ball, on a snowboard, and in the air.
Soccer and snowboarding you can do without a whole lot of understanding of theory and equipment.
His life was filled with epic adventures, wonderfully original people...
And some totally vile pieces of shit.
...energy, heart, passion and inspiration.

Zack we have peace in knowing where we stood with you.
For Yours Truly - nowhere.
You always told us you loved us. Multiple times. So now you get to hear us say it, every day, for the rest of our lives. We love you Zack.
Quest Air

The strength of the weak link is crucial to a safe tow. It should be weak enough so that it will break before the pressure of the towline reaches a level that compromises the handling of the glider but strong enough so that it doesn't break every time you fly into a bit of rough air.
http://ozreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=24846
Is this a joke ?
Jim Rooney - 2011/08/26 02:44:10 UTC

The "purpose" of a weaklink is to increase the safety of the towing operation. PERIOD.
http://www.chgpa.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2467
weak links
Jim Rooney - 2007/07/19 14:50:52 UTC

Weak links don't always break in lockout situations... so lets make them stronger? Are you nuts?

I don't care if they're "Meant" to break in lockout. How the hell is it a bad thing if they do?

You're advocating making tow systems more dangerous for the sake of definitions. Here in reality, weak links work. They may not suit your definitions, but you're on crack if you think they're not doing people good.

And yes, get behind me with a "strong link" and I will not tow you.
Fly Fly Fly, but come down and visit once in a while.
Sorry, but don't hold your breath.

And a total of eleven posts on the blog, one from a relative at least nine of the remainder hang gliding associates and contacts and guess how many of them expressed the least interest in how/why something like this could happen and/or how to prevent it from happening to somebody else?
LBinTX - 2013/02/04

Wow. I just had my first hang gliding experience (a mile high tow tandem) last May and Zack was my instructor. In the short time I got to know him, I felt like he was an amazing person that really seemed to have a plan for his life and had so much positivity to give. If he had to go, at least it was while he was doing something he truly loved.
Yep, riding into an ambulance after tumbling from 150 feet because a Rooney Link popped...
Donnell Hewett - 1980/12

Now I've heard the argument that "Weak links always break at the worst possible time, when the glider is climbing hard in a near stall situation"...
...at the worst possible time, when the glider was climbing hard in a near stall situation. That's definitely the way I wanna go when my time comes.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

http://ozreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=30971
Zach Marzec
Gordon Rigg - 2013/02/08 15:29:52 UTC

Let me describe a similar occurrence, that Davis and many others witnessed when I towed at Hay in about 2002. I was towing a Litespeed 4 behind a Dragonfly.

Shortly after launch the tug pretty much went out of sight vertically upwards, then came down again as I shot upwards - I pulled on all I could and ended up vertically above the tug with a totally slack rope.
You haven't told us whether you were towing two or one point - but given that it was a competition at Hay it's a no brainer that it was the latter. So when you say "pulled on all you could" you didn't. You had previously determined you weren't gonna hit overpowering lift and wouldn't need that capability.
During all this I didn't feel out of control or in any risk of stalling or anything like that - just frustration at not being able to maintain position behind the tug.
Right. Try flying the glider in something real close for the configuration for which it was certified and see if that helps any.
I tried to S turn and dive to match speed with the tug but inevitably it shock loaded and broke the weak link.
I looked at my altimeter which said 800 feet AGL.
I turned back to seek out the strong if turbulent lift to try to get up, and it was on the way back to the launch point anyway.
I seemed to have to glide further than expected through strong sink to find the lift, and then without warning the glider pitched vertically upwards before I could react. There was a pause where I was positioned straight up looking forward at the horizon and holding the base bar thinking pulling it wasn't really getting me over the bar at all... I became aware of debris traveling up past me (the lift had contracted into a dusty and had now picked up dust that I hadn't seen on approach).

Then there was lots of clattering as I tumbled. Witnesses didn't know if it went forward of backward or how many times it rotated. When it stopped I threw my chute first and then assessed the situation. The glider picked up speed vertically downward and as I considered tying to get it to level out the chute deployed and put me down quite gently.

I dragged on the ground a little because everyone at the launch line was hanging onto their gliders as the dusty went through.

The glider had a few bent battens and one main sprog bent 40 degrees, so it may not have pulled out. The chute was open about four seconds or so, an APCO Mayday 18 which it is currently popular to say is too small. It was big enough that day. I jumped in a friend's harness and glider and flew to goal about half an hour later.

So turbulence can push your nose up so quickly that you can't control it, whether you are on the tow or not.
YES. Contrary to this crap that The Industry has brainwashed everyone to believe, Mother Nature is quite capable of totally fucking over any aircraft you wanna name regardless of who's trying to prevent it from being fucked over.
Being on the tow might help...
On tow is damn near always a bad place to be as you're heading into nasty shit. But, once you're in it, in only a very small percentage of incidents is popping off tow not going to make your situation a lot worse. And in a fair percentage of the ones in which your situation will improve by coming off tow it won't improve enough to allow you to survive.
...but once you exceed a certain angle of attack you lock out and diverge in pitch.
And starting out with the much higher pitch attitude you WILL HAVE as a consequence of being on tow doesn't help anything once the tow is lost.
The rope isn't going to pull you back down.
It's damn near always pulling you up - BUT... Zack Marzec had an option of using a portion of the rope's tension to pull the nose down that he tossed out before he got on the cart.
You are going up pulling the tail of the tug up so it is going down and you can't get it back in line.
In the extreme example of your experience... Yeah. But that's virtually never the case in real life.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_n5B3-MIC4

The trike's doing just fine.
I can understand how towing through dust devil could leave you pitched up and vulnerable to tumble.
Zack wasn't flying through a dust devil and that tow would've been totally sustainable minus his Rooney Link.
Once the glider stops or goes backwards you cannot prevent a tumble, you might be lucky but you probably won't.
Exactly. So how 'bout we drop all the crap about how to handle the situation AFTER the Rooney Link pops and start thinking of ways the Rooney Link...

http://ozreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=24846
Is this a joke ?
Jim Rooney - 2011/08/26 17:34:33 UTC

Remember, a weak link improves safety.
Say it over and over and over in your head until it sinks in.
And take that straw man argument and burn it please.

Do NOT skip this little bit...
pilots were asked to tell the tug pilot if they were doing thatpilots were asked to tell the tug pilot if they were doing that
See, Russel knows what's up.
He knows that you're changing the equation and because of this, you need to ask the tug pilot.
Some people I'll tow like this. Some I won't. Most that do this are the type I won't. At the end of the day, it's my call, not yours.
...and, preferably, the Rooney itself, can be taken out of the equation.
The Moyes Xtralite is a kingpost glider with luff lines and no outboard dive sticks (top rods). I never heard of them having any stability issues. Some other gliders at the time had quite an issue with lost stability due to sail stretch and line stretch, notably the K series from Airwave.
You're talking about how to handle the situation AFTER the Rooney Link pops. Not real interested.
I've not come across the idea of making the weak link stronger...
And name someone who's come across the idea of making the weak link WEAKER. That should be a BIG tipoff that there's something seriously wrong with this picture. ALL of the lunatic crap written by these morons is to start off with a few inches of the Sacred String and tie and install it to double its strength and use elastic towlines and bridles to keep it from breaking when they DON'T want it to while preserving its ability to break when they DO want it to.

But, of course, one must NEVER start off with a heavier piece of string and weaken it by not hiding the knot from the main tension very well or using Spectra to transmit shock loads.
...and relying on a mouth release.
You've never heard of anyone relying on a bite controlled release - despite:

- the fact that all the Russians show up at all the competitions with them

- the Russians constantly screaming about their obvious superiority whenever some asshole stuck on tow piles in despite the protection of his Rooney Link

- videos posted depicting their use

- posts, photos, and videos from people like Steve Kinsley, Yours Truly, Craig Stanley, and Antoine Saraf
You have to be sure the release is fail safe and there is no chance of staying attached if the pilot is incapacitated in some way, such as dragging along the ground.
But if you aren't sure the release is fail safe and there is no chance of staying attached if the pilot is incapacitated in some way such as...

http://ozreport.com/pub/images/fingerlakesaccident2.jpg
http://ozreport.com/pub/images/fingerlakesaccident3.jpg

...dragging along the ground or...

Bob Buxton accident
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2oeb0nNIKs
Scott Buxton - 2013/02/10
dead
http://www.kitestrings.org/post5902.html#p5902
016-04308
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3799/13746342624_c9b015f814_o.png
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2809/13746340634_a74b33d285_o.png
022-04610

...being in an almost unimaginable set of circumstances in which TWO hands are required to control the glider through the emergency than just keep using whatever piece of crap some tow park sold you and told you was the absolute best anyone could possibly do.
I suppose the mouth release should work for that.
But, you haven't actually looked into setting yourself up with anything and have no intention whatsoever of ever doing so.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

Zach Marzec
Angelo Mantas - 2013/02/08 15:30:49 UTC
Paul Tjaden - 2013/02/07 23:47:58 UTC

Beyond these facts anything else would be pure speculation.
Yes, but speculation is not a bad thing, as long as it's not presented as fact but as questioning.
- Cite somebody presenting speculation as fact in one of these.

- But we don't NEED to do any speculation on this one. We KNOW *ALL* of the relevant FACTS on this one.

-- He was towing one point.

-- His tension was limited by a Rooney Link.

-- Rooney Links are known to blow left and right in smooth air on straight and level medium and up weight gliders.

-- He knew 250 feet in advance that he was gonna fly into a powerful thermal.

-- At 100 to 150 feet he hit the thermal, pitched up, and climbed.

-- When and because his Rooney Link popped while the glider was under adequate control, the tug was under full control, and no equipment - with the exception of the bent pin Quest junk on his shoulders - was under any significant stress whatsoever, he whipstalled, tumbled, and died.

- Excluding lying pieces of shit, like Rooney, Davis, and Trisa, and the incompetent scumbags who are trying to cover their asses, like Quest, Kitty Hawk, and USHGA, is there ANYONE who'd like to dispute one or more of the above? Name a fatality of anyone connected to a glider beforehand that's more clear cut than this one.
If we want to reach an understanding of WHY this happened...
Anybody who didn't reach a total understanding of why this happened two thirds of the way through the sixth paragraph in Paul's report is a total fucking moron.
...not just what happened, we have to figure out possible reasons.
OK, we can add some stuff... UNBELIEVABLE levels of stupidity, incompetence, arrogance, duplicity, corruption.
This is speculation.
Bullshit. There's more to speculate about who won the Battle of the Little Bighorn than there is about the causes of this one.
These possible reasons need to be looked at, considered, analyzed, then rejected or accepted.
So has that been done?

- The thread tapered off and seems to have died with no significant resolution of anything two days ago after a couple of the key enemy combatants had been proven to be liars and were evading very pointed questions.

- This was your first and last contribution to the discussion so it doesn't appear to me that you actually gave a rat's ass about the situation.
This is the only way we will learn anything from this.
There's no fuckin' way anybody will learn anything from this one. There was absolutely nothing to learn for the people with the low double digit IQs and up and the Marc Fink level dregs have for decades been proving themselves intellectually incapable of learning anything.
This thought that there should be no speculation really bothers me. It cuts off any discussion. Reasons given to not speculate include being insensitive to the feelings of loved ones and possible blame being placed or inferred.
- Fuck the loved ones. If the goddam loved ones weren't pieces of shit themselves they'd be in the middle of this discussion speculating their asses off in an effort to prevent the next guy's loved ones from going through what they are or may be. Tell me when the last time something like that happened.

- So what the fuck is wrong with placing or inferring blame? There is ALWAYS plenty of blame to go around to others directly involved in a tow operation and those qualifying and authorizing the tow operators. All those goddam Quest assholes, the Towing Committee, and the USHGA Board of Directors should be stood up against a wall.
As someone who lost a dear friend to an aerotow accident...
Yeah. Mike Haas - 2004/06/26. Had a piece of shit Industry Standard release...
Joe Gregor - 2004/09

There is no evidence that the pilot made an attempt to release from tow prior to the weak link break, the gate was found closed on the Wallaby-style tow release.
...that he wouldn't have been able to use to blow himself early enough in the situation to do him any good and...

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/skysailingtowing/message/4593
Weaklinks
Peter Birren - 2005/02/08 19:22:49 UTC

This scenario is in my opinion what happened with Mike Haas at Cushing Field last year. His weaklink broke at a low altitude and he rolled off the stall.
...a piece of shit Rooney Link that acted as Pilot In Command after things got a bit ugly, took away any option to remain on tow while he was struggling for control, and dropped him to his instantaneous death.
I would much rather find out what happened and how it could be prevented, even if it means some pain in confronting that, than not examining it and missing possible lessons that might be learned.
And great job helping to push this one until we got some resolution.

Fuck you Angelo.

P.S. I have a lot more coming on this one.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

http://ozreport.com/9.179
Fatality Report
Davis Straub - 2005/08/30 22:00 UTC

Learning from an aerotowing accident from last year
Yeah, right. Read the bullshit you assholes have written about the Zack Marzec and tell me what was learned from this one. And tell me what was learned from the 2005/09/03 Arlan Birkett / Jeremiah Thompson. Fuckin' Groundhog Day.
Angelo Mantas - 2005/08/30

Analysis - Mike Haas Fatality

Scenario - Mike's accident...
Crash.
...happened during midday thermal conditions.
Big surprise. (Note to self: Don't fly during midday thermal conditions.)
He was flying a Moyes 147 Litesport...
There's no such thing as a 147 Litesport. We'll call it a 149. Max certified operating weight - 310 pounds.
...aerotowing it off of a launch dolly.
Which allows you to comlete ONE critical phase of the tow with BOTH hands on the basetube. And once that's over there's no real advantage to be doing anything else with both hands on the basetube.
Several witnesses saw the accident, but I give Dave Whedon's account the most weight, because:
- a) He saw the entire event, from start to finish: and
- b) He was watching several tows intently to see what conditions were like, since he hadn't towed in a while.
Was he equipped any better than Mike was? How confident was he that he'd have been able to handle Mike's situation had he launched at that moment instead?
The tug was given the "go" signal.
Did Arlan check the streamers along the runway to see if there was anything breaking off?
Dave said that almost as soon as Mike launched off the cart, he appeared to be having difficulty with both pitch and roll control.
APPEARED to be?
- Was there any possibility that this apparent difficulty was actually him just dealing as best as possible with some turbulence?
- Let's say not. So was that the least bit relevant to the incident?
Then, at around fifty to sixty feet...
It takes a little while to get to fifty to sixty feet on aerotow. So apparently he wasn't still all over the place by the time he got to that level. And I notice that he wasn't so all over the place that Arlan decided that this tow was a bad idea and dumped him before he locked himself out.
...the glider pitched up radically and started arcing to the left.
Mark Frutiger - 2013/02/03 13:41

A few seconds into the tow I hit strong lift.

Zach hit it and went high and to the right.
Somewhere around this time the weak link broke...

The weak link broke at around 150 feet or so and Zach stalled and dropped a wing or did a wingover...
...or the pilot released.
- He didn't release.
Joe Gregor - 2004/09

There is no evidence that the pilot made an attempt to release from tow prior to the weak link break, the gate was found closed on the Wallaby-style tow release.
The gate was found closed on the Wallaby-style tow "release". The weak link broke.

- And I notice NOBODY from ANY reporting perspective is specifying what "THE WEAK LINK" *IS* - 'cause OBVIOUSLY *EVERYBODY* knows it was a standard aerotow weak link with a track record quite literally HUNDREDS of THOUSANDS of tows long.

- No shit. On a two point bridle he's got 0.73 Gs. What did you expect?
The glider continued rotating left and dove into the ground, first hitting the left wing tip, then nose. The glider's pitch was near vertical on impact, confirmed by the fact that the control bar, except for a bend in one downtube, was basically intact, whereas the keel and one leading edge snapped just behind the nose plate junction.

The glider tumbled too low for a deployment.
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-bRrpHNa68iY/UQ6Pv9gRZyI/AAAAAAAAjTg/Hc22bx5122Q/s2048/20943781_BG1.jpg
This all happened fairly quickly. Based on witness and tug pilot accounts, the glider was never over 100 feet.
Paul Tjaden - 2013/02/07

Because of the length of the tow line, it was a few seconds later when Zach's glider entered the same strong lift and he was at an estimated 100 to 150 feet in altitude at this time.
Despite help reaching him almost instantly, attempts to revive him proved futile. Mike suffered a broken spinal cord and was probably killed instantly.
Paul Tjaden - 2013/02/07 23:47:58 UTC

Zach was conscious immediately after the accident but died in route to the hospital.
Appears that there's an advantage to tumbling over stalling straight in. Probably best to push out hard when the Rooney Link pops to try to induce a tailslide.
Causes - In examining the circumstances surrounding the accident, it seems to me that several factors, which by themselves might not cause major problems, combined to lead to Mike's losing control of the glider.
Mike never HAD control of the glider. Control of the glider means you're the one making and executing the decisions to stay on or get off of tow. The hardware he was using was doing that for him.
1) New, high performance glider.
2) Larger size glider than what he was used to.
3) A fast flying tug (Kolb)
How fast?
4) Flying through a thermal just after launching.
Flying into thermals was the whole reason he showed up that day, right? So that was a risk everyone should probably been aware of and known how to best manage, right? Like when scuba divers go down a couple of hundred feet to explore wrecks they know they can't just pop back up to the surface whenever they feel like it without understanding the decompression tables?
5) A rearward keel attachment point on the "V" bridle.
Wanna say anything about the insanely understrength Rooney Link or the inaccessible Quallaby Release? Just kidding.
Mike had only one previous flight on his new Litesport, in laminar coastal ridge soaring conditions. Although he flew over two hours, he probably never flew the glider at the speeds encountered when aerotowing.
- He probably did.

- Even if he didn't, how is that the slightest bit relevant to his situation when the shit hit the fan?

- How would you have expected somebody who makes his living aerotowing and is super wired into his glider...

http://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1482/25711447570_4f88ab6e69_o.jpg

...to have reacted for a more desirable outcome?
Mike had many aerotows on a Moyes Xtralite, but according to Matt Taber...
...who has done SO MUCH to advance aerotowing safety through his equipment development and implementation of solid SOPs and training...
...the Litesport doesn't track as well at high speed.
- Yeah. That was the problem when Mike was blasted by the thermal with his inaccessible release and weak link on the ragged edge of sustainable tow. Probably should've had a fin.

- Define HIGH SPEED. Does the Kolb tow at high speeds?

- Funny Matt didn't mention anything about the "Wallaby-style release".
The best release in the industry.

This Aerotow Primary Release represents the state-of-the-art in releases. Made at LMFP, this release features the Rope-Loop type release mechanism, a better alternative to the lever release as you don't have to let go of the basetube to release.
He's always been such a powerful advocate of being equipped with hardware that allows the pilot to blow tow with both hands on the basetube.
The Litesport was also bigger than his Xtralite, which would make it less responsive and harder to control.
So he's flying on aerotow at "high speed" in which too much responsiveness / overcontrol is the typical problem - but it was actually lack of control authority that was likely one of the problems.

Pick one, dude.
The tug used was a Kolb ultralight. Although this tug had an increased wing span than normal Kolbs, it still tows at a higher speed than a Dragonfly. I can tell you from my own experience that it is harder to tow behind a faster tug.
- Anybody can tell you from their own experience that it's harder to tow behind a faster tug.
- But anybody can also tell you that a glider is REALLY RESPONSIVE behind a fast tug.
- And we're not hearing that he was holding the bar back or having ANY control problems near the time that he gets hit.
Soon after launching, the glider and tug flew through a strong thermal.
So I guess they weren't looking at the streamers along the runway just before takeoff.
This is confirmed by witnesses watching the tug, and the tug pilot's reporting a strong spike in climb rate.
But...
Mark Frutiger - 2013/02/09 02:31:37 UTC

The turbulance level was strong, among the strongest thermal activity I've felt leaving the field. I've encountered stronger mechanical mixing, but the vertical velocity this time was very strong.
...not so strong that Arlan felt any need to abort the tow, right?
Here is where some controversy might come in: on examining the wreckage, Arlan (tug pilot) saw where the upper "V" bridle was attached, and immediately felt that that was a possible cause of the accident.
- So Arlan didn't examine the glider at any time BEFORE the glider was hooked up?
- So there's no fuckin' way Arlan would've pulled this guy one point, right?
It was attached at the hang point, and in his opinion, was too far back for a stable tow.
BULLSHIT.
Since then, there has been debate on whether or not that was a safe attachment point.
So how come Moyes - the manufacturer of the Bailey-Moyes Dragonfly tug ferchrisake - doesn't SPECIFY the trim point on the fuckin' owner's manual? Even Wills Wing publishes that information.
That positioning on the keel was recommended to him by the seller, and apparently many other pilots have towed a Litesport from the same position. Shortly after the accident, some pilots in Wisconsin did an aerotow of a Litesport from slightly behind the hang point, and reported it towed fine.
Oh. Great. So did any pro toads have any comment?
I agree with Arlan that the upper bridle attachment point contributed to the accident.
But you have no comment on Zack Marzec not having any upper bridle attachment point WHATSOEVER?
The test done in Wisconsin was done early in the morning in stable conditions, and the pilot weighed fifty more pounds than Mike.
Wanna tell us what that was so we can do the math to figure out what Mike weighed? Just kidding.
Just because others have managed to tow with this upper bridle position, doesn't mean it's safe, especially for pilots on the light end of the weight range.
I got news for ya, Angelo. Aerotowing hang gliders is INHERENTLY unsafe. No matter what you're flying, how you're configured, or what you're equipped with. We are ROLL UNSTABLE and if we fly into the right shit at the right moment we are FUCKED. But there are a lot of things we can do to minimize and eliminate risks - but hardly anyone is interested in doing them.
To sum up, Mike was flying a glider that was bigger than what he was used to...
- Big fuckin' deal.
- If it was an appreciable issue then why was Arlan towing him?
...with less stability at the higher speeds needed to stay behind the Kolb.
Less stability is another way of saying better roll authority.
Even with Mike's hang gliding experience, these factors would tax his abilities.
Bullshit.

- He was doing OK until he got hit and what he got hit with would overwhelm ANYBODY'S abilities.

- When he got hit he had no ability to exercise a decision either to get off of or stay on tow because of his equipment choices. His Wallaby-style "release" determined that he would stay on tow at an interval in which he could've survived by getting off and his Rooney Link determined that he would blow off tow at a point at which the only possible outcome was an unrecoverable and fatal stall.
These difficulties would be magnified by the destabilizing effect of the rearward keel bridle attachment and the faster speed of the Kolb tug.
Bullshit. You're not even mentioning the primary issues here.
Already struggling (as witnesses state) when Mike hit the thermal, a difficult situation became impossible.
- How did we get from:
Dave said that almost as soon as Mike launched off the cart, he appeared to be having difficulty with both pitch and roll control.
to:
Already struggling (as witnesses state) when Mike hit the thermal, a difficult situation became impossible.
- Arlan and Mike were both aware of the thermal and its magnitude at the same time. If Mike was struggling so much when Arlan hit the thermal then why didn't Arlan abort the tow - since he knew that with the Quallaby crap Mike was using he wouldn't be able to abort it himself.
Mike lost control...
How could he have LOST control? I was under the impression that he never had any to begin with.
...and either locked out or stalled...
Like they're mutually exclusive? If:
- you're locked out you can COUNT ON a really good stall.
- he wasn't locking out he was killed by his Rooney Link.
...leading to his dive into the ground.
No shit.
How can we prevent this from happening in the future?
Apparently we can't.

- Arlan and his last-flight-before-solo student are gonna be dead five days after this post primarily because of an illegally light front end weak link which will override everyone's decision to continue the tow.

- Zack Marzec is gonna die one day shy of eight years and five months after Arlan and Jeremiah in a situation VERY SIMILAR to Mike's. And nobody's gonna be talking about his deficient currency, skill, or response and none of the motherfuckers responsible for maintaining this insane state of affairs is gonna acknowledge the two issues that killed him - using a Rooney Link and flying as a pro toad - as being issues.
A proper keel attachment would have made the glider fly faster without a lot of bar pressure.
So how come you haven't said ONE WORD about Zack's TOTAL ABSENCE of a keel attachment - motherfucker?
It also would have made the glider more stable in yaw, because the tow force would be farther in front of the CG.
Fuck yaw. Gliders are yaw stable on tow. It was the roll that was the issue.
My own experience has been that since moving my keel attachment further forward, tows are much more stable.
They're easier. But my call is that Mike would've wound up just as dead with a better trim point - or a Cloud 9 fin.
Using a tail fin - Tail fins definitely help stabilize gliders on aerotow, especially high performance gliders that may be less stable in yaw.
If they stabilize them when they're straight and level they'll stabilize them in undesirable directions just as well.
A too rearward keel bridle attachment can be overcome with a fin. Many aerotow parks use tail fins on their demo gliders. The downside to fins is that they can make thermaling difficult on many gliders, but they can still be a valuable tool to make your glider safer while you figure out where your keel bridle attachment should be.
Done this already.

http://www.kitestrings.org/post2356.html#p2356

So how come nobody's talking about how much better Zack would've been with a fin? Wouldn't this be a great time for Dr. Trisa Tilletti to get this point across?
First tows of new gliders in smooth conditions. It is much easier to aerotow a new glider when the air is smooth.
Bullshit. If he had any problems feeling out this glider under tow he had them worked out well before he got to fifty feet.
Learn how the glider tows in calm air, make any equipment adjustments necessary, then later tow in midday, thermal air.
And get some tandem Cone of Safety training from Dr. Trisa Tilletti. Then there's no fuckin' way you can get locked out down it the kill zone.
Practice flying your glider fast before aerotowing it. If you foot launch or static tow your glider, you can literally fly for years without ever flying at the speeds involved with aerotowing. Even platform/payout winch towing doesn't involve those speeds.
EVEN platform/payout winch towing doesn't involve those speeds? In platform/payout the pilot controls the speed to pretty much anything he wants.
Practice pulling in the bar and keep it there. Easy? Now try to make a small heading correction and keep it. Good chance you'll be PIOing all over.
Mike WAS NOT...
...PIOing all over.
This kind of practice definitely pays off.
If this issue isn't relevant on the flight - and it wasn't - and the pilot gets killed because of totally unrelated issues then how is that kind of practice gonna pay off?
Wind streamers along runway. It's agreed that Mike hit a strong thermal shortly after launching. Placing streamers on both sides of the runway, at regular intervals, would help detect if a thermal is coming through the takeoff area. If all the streamers are pointing the same way, it's safe to launch. If some of the streamers start moving other directions or reversing, it's obvious some kind of turbulence is coming through. This is not a new idea, it's not expensive (wood stakes and surveyor's tape) yet I've never seen anyone do this. Maybe it's time we start.
It was time to start well before Eric Aasletten was killed over fifteen years before Mike. So wouldn't you agree that Mike's death occurred primarily as a consequence of Arlan's gross negligence?
Mike was a Hang IV pilot with over twenty years experience. He was not a "hot dog" and was very safety conscious.
Don't say that. It makes the job of the Accident Review Committee so much harder.
No one who knew Mike could believe that this happened to him.
Yeah, and nobody who knew Zack Marzec - especially Zack Marzec - could believe that this could happen to him.

None of the goddam pigfuckers...

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/skysailingtowing/message/7067
AT SOPs - proposed revisions
Dr. Tracy Tillman - 2009/05/10 02:08:52 UTC

Additionally, if you want to really present a convincing argument, you should also: (a) get other experts to co-sign your letter, such as those who have some or most of the aerotowing-related credentials listed above, who have been doing this for many years with many students, and who support your argument; and (b) present reliable data based on valid research showing that there is a significant difference in safety with the changes that you recommend. Supportive comments from aerotow experts along with convincing data can make a difference. Otherwise, it may seem as if your perception of "the sky is falling" may not be shared by most others who have a wealth of experience and who are deeply involved in aerotowing in the US.
...who control this sport believe - or acknowledge - that this can happen to anybody.

The few people who have their shit together, however, assume that it WILL happen on every launch they make - and equip to have the best capacity to deal with it.
Although I feel I have a better understanding now of what happened, I can't help feeling that if this could happen to him, none of us are safe.
BULL'S-EYE DUDE!!! Forget all the crap you wrote and zero in on this.

And until we get:
- the:
-- shitheads who pull our gliders under our control
-- fuckin' Dragonflies fixed so they can do the job safely
- everyone:
-- equipped with releases that DON'T stink an ice
-- on one and a half or up G weak links
- a solid foundation in THEORY
none of us are safe - and I'm happy I'm no longer rolling dice with you assholes.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

P.S. Angelo...

When somebody's on tow he is HEAVIER. All or - as in Mike's case - half the tow tension is routed through the pilot and he weighs significantly more than he's used to in free flight and that's a bit problematic for people unused to towing (which Mike wasn't).

Heavier and faster. So drop the crap about the possibility of the big glider / minimal control authority having been an issue here.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

Report on the fatality report

The other accident report, which finally turned up in the June issue, was inadequate and incorrect. Joe Gregor, in his report, touched on the factors involved in the accident, but then goes onto a recommendation saying "Exercise great caution when learning a new launch method". Mike had been aerotowing since 1992. How does flying aerotow for twelve years constitute learning a new method?

Dealing with the USHGA accident report process was a real eye opener. I talked to all the witnesses, including some very long and difficult discussions with Arlan. I wrote up a report and sent it in to the USHGA office. Then I heard nothing.

When I called the USHGA office, they said they had my report, and that it had been forwarded to Joe Gregor, but I still heard nothing from him. I posted to the hang gliding list to get Joe's e-mail, then I finally got something of a response from Joe. It seems I was being ignored because I was not the "official" investigator, that the regional director appoints. I know the pilot they appointed, he's a former student of mine that I was in contact with. I sent him a copy of my report. He said my report was more detailed than his, and that he sent a copy of my report along with his to Joe.

Two things bother me about the Haas report in the HG/PG magazine. The most frustrating and galling part is how they simplify Mike's accident and make it easy to dismiss. Anyone reading the recommendation can easily say "oh, he shouldn't have been learning to aerotow on a thermally day" when he was actually very experienced at aerotowing. The reasons behind the accident are many and not so easily wrapped up. The scariest thing about Mike's accident is that a number of seemingly little details added up to a situation that was fatal, and yet could easily go unrecognized even by an experienced pilot. As I said at the end of my report:

"Mike was a Hang IV pilot with over twenty years experience. He was not a "hot dog" and was very safety conscious. No one who knew Mike could believe that this happened to him. Although I feel I have a better understanding now of what happened, I can't help feeling that if this could happen to him, none of us are safe."

The second thing that gets to me is the functioning (or the lack thereof) of the accident report process. I understand they need a protocol, but what good is that protocol when facts, reasoned thoughts and viewpoints are ignored? When the procedure ignores input? I saw some of the comments from Joe Gregor to the "official" investigator, and they sound like he considered me an annoyance. I used to be a big advocate of sending in accident reports, but when I see the ball dropped so badly, I think, what's the point?

Why didn't I write this sooner? Mike was a dear friend of mine, writing up the accident report was very difficult, although I feel I did an objective job and solicited others for input to make sure it was complete. No one had any real changes, and a pilot who was there and had to break the news to Pam, Mike's widow, thanked me for dealing with it.

When I saw how the report was being botched by Joe Gregor and the USHGA magazine, I was furious, I just couldn't deal with it. First, I didn't want to write a response in anger, then I kept pushing it and the bad memories away and did nothing until now. Besides setting the record straight on Mike, I think it's also important to point out flaws in the accident reporting system.

I was talking to Bart at Cowboy Up about Mike's accident, and what he took from the report in the magazine confirmed my fears that someone simply reading that report would get an erroneous view of what happened.
The other accident report, which finally turned up in the June issue, was inadequate and incorrect.
1. Since Doug Hildreth was replaced as Accident Review Committee Chairman, when has that NOT been the case?
- Did you see the article on weak links in last year's June issue? What did you think?
Joe Gregor, in his...
...usual totally clueless and useless...
...report, touched on the factors involved in the accident...
The USHGA approved ones anyway.
...but then goes onto a recommendation saying "Exercise great caution when learning a new launch method". Mike had been aerotowing since 1992. How does flying aerotow for twelve years constitute learning a new method?
It's kinda like the way...
- Mike Del Signore was portrayed as a "student" in the 1996/07/25 twofer he did with Bill Bennett when a front end weak link finished them off?
- we keep hearing how if only Zack Marzec had been properly trained on how to be ready for and react to a Rooney Link blow he'd have been fine?
Dealing with the USHGA accident report process was a real eye opener.
No shit.
I talked to all the witnesses, including some very long and difficult discussions with Arlan.
Maybe the guy running the operation and handling the other end of the string when somebody buys the farm isn't somebody you wanna have influencing your perception of what went wrong too much - 'specially seeing as how two more guys are gonna be dead for a similar reason five days from now and he's gonna be one of them. Maybe you should be talking to operations that AREN'T killing people on a regular basis - even if that means ignoring hang gliding altogether and looking at what the sailplanes are - and aren't - doing.
I wrote up a report and sent it in to the USHGA office.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Then I heard nothing.
DUDE!!! That's EXACTLY the same thing I heard from those motherfuckers after I worked my ass off for months revising the USHGA AT SOPs and Guidelines in an effort to stop this kinda bullshit from happening repeatedly. Seems to be some kind of pattern here.
When I called the USHGA office, they said they had my report, and that it had been forwarded to Joe Gregor, but I still heard nothing from him.
DUDE!!! That's EXACTLY the same thing I heard from that motherfucker...
Nick Greece - 2009/10/13 16:03:35 UTC

Hi there,

Sorry it has taken me a bit to reply. Your ideas are being considered at the committee chair level. I sent your article to Joe Gregor, the safety chair, for comment and he will get back to you shortly.

Thanks and let me know if you have any questions!

Nick
...late last decade after I submitted an article to the magazine with "my" ideas for implementing and enforcing USHGA's 28 year old regulations regarding unhooked launch prevention. I'm almost certain there's some kind of pattern here.
I posted to the hang gliding list to get Joe's e-mail, then I finally got something of a response from Joe. It seems I was being ignored because I was not the "official" investigator, that the regional director appoints.
- Regional Directors:

-- are Regional Directors because they're good at winning popularity contests

-- don't get to be and stay Regional Directors by appointing investigators who conclude that the reason people keep getting killed the same way is because they keep on doing things the same way and expecting different results

- And USHGA and its Regional Directors are in the business of selling the sport and you don't sell the sport by making statements like:
Although I feel I have a better understanding now of what happened, I can't help feeling that if this could happen to him, none of us are safe.
I know the pilot they appointed, he's a former student of mine that I was in contact with. I sent him a copy of my report. He said my report was more detailed than his, and that he sent a copy of my report along with his to Joe.
Yeah, well Joe's in real tight with the flight park that gave us Jim Rooney and sells the Quallaby Release and Rooney Link that killed Mike, Joe flies with same and the bent pin backups Ridgely pumps out, and has never done a goddam thing in the way of fixing any problems himself or supporting anyone else's efforts so I wouldn't have held out much hope there.
Two things bother me about the Haas report in the HG/PG magazine.
Just two?
The most frustrating and galling part is how they simplify Mike's accident and make it easy to dismiss.
Yeah, they've sure got that process down to a fine art. I CAN'T WAIT to see how - OR IF - they deal with Zack Marzec. I'm guessing that a year or so from now we'll read that he got hit trying to cross the bypass a couple miles up the beach from the shop.
Anyone reading the recommendation can easily say "oh, he shouldn't have been learning to aerotow on a thermally day" when he was actually very experienced at aerotowing.
Or maybe they'll be able to alter Zack's rating record and make him a Hang Two working towards his AT signoff.
The reasons behind the accident are many and not so easily wrapped up.
You didn't even MENTION the two most critical and obvious.
The scariest thing about Mike's accident is that a number of seemingly little details added up to a situation that was fatal, and yet could easily go unrecognized even by an experienced pilot.
Yep. A whole shitload of things hafta line up JUST RIGHT to kill someone. And they ALMOST NEVER do. So inaccessible releases are regarded as no BFDs and catastrophic engine failure is considered a safety enhancement.
As I said at the end of my report:

"Mike was a Hang IV pilot with over twenty years experience. He was not a "hot dog" and was very safety conscious.
Then how come he was going up with a Quallaby Release and a Rooney Link behind an asshole like Arlan Birkett?
No one who knew Mike could believe that this happened to him.
And no one who knew Kunio Yoshimura could believe that he'd ever launch unhooked. And they were right for many years and many hundreds of launches.
Although I feel I have a better understanding now of what happened, I can't help feeling that if this could happen to him, none of us are safe."
I am now.
The second thing that gets to me is the functioning (or the lack thereof) of the accident report process.
http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=27736
Increase in our USHpA dues
Mark G. Forbes - 2012/12/20 06:21:33 UTC

Imagine a report that concludes, "If we'd had a procedure "x" in place, then it would have probably prevented this accident. And we're going to put that procedure in place at the next BOD meeting." Good info, and what we want to be able to convey. But what comes out at trial is, "Ladies and Gentlemen of the Jury, my client suffered injury because USHPA knew or should have known that a safety procedure was not in place, and was therefore negligent and at fault." We're constantly walking this line between full disclosure and handing out nooses at the hangmen's convention.
I understand they need a protocol, but what good is that protocol when facts, reasoned thoughts and viewpoints are ignored?
It keeps everybody but the dead guy from ever being held accountable for ANYTHING - regardless of how outrageous.
When the procedure ignores input?
When the corporation lawyer is put in control of the procedure and is interested solely in protecting the corporation which doesn't give a flying fuck about the pilots?
I saw some of the comments from Joe Gregor to the "official" investigator, and they sound like he considered me an annoyance.
How 'bout this for an explanation... They sound like he considered you an annoyance 'cause he considered you an annoyance.
I used to be a big advocate of sending in accident reports, but when I see the ball dropped so badly, I think, what's the point?
The ball isn't being dropped - it's being ventilated with an ice pick and fed into a wood chipper.
Why didn't I write this sooner? Mike was a dear friend of mine, writing up the accident report was very difficult, although I feel I did an objective job and solicited others for input to make sure it was complete.
Like I did for weeks when I was doing the SOPs and Guidelines revisions? By the way... Did you ever bother to read them? Just kidding.
No one had any real changes...
No one had any real changes to the stuff I submitted either - 'cept they didn't like the stuff I copied and pasted from the existing documents they had been ignoring for the previous fifteen or twenty years.
...and a pilot who was there and had to break the news to Pam, Mike's widow, thanked me for dealing with it.
Still have the copy? We could just swap in Zack Marzec's name and particulars and reuse it.
When I saw how the report was being botched by Joe Gregor and the USHGA magazine, I was furious, I just couldn't deal with it.
Did you go as ballistic as I did and write a letter to the FAA?
First, I didn't want to write a response in anger, then I kept pushing it and the bad memories away and did nothing until now. Besides setting the record straight on Mike, I think it's also important to point out flaws in the accident reporting system.
Did you notice the immediate improvement?

http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=16439
Some day we will learn
Steve Morris - 2010/03/31 23:58:54 UTC

In 2009 there were several serious hang gliding accidents involving pilots on the HG forum (or who had close friends on the forum that reported that these accidents had occurred). In each case there was an immediate outcry from forum members not to discuss these accidents, usually referring to the feelings of the pilots' families as a reason to not do so. In each case it was claimed that the facts would eventually come out and a detailed report would be presented and waiting for this to happen would result in a better informed pilot population and reduce the amount of possibly harmful speculation.

In each of these cases I have never seen a final detailed accident report presented in this forum. So far as I can tell, the accident reporting system that has been assumed to exist here doesn't exist at all, the only reports I've seen are those published in the USHPA magazine. They are so stripped down, devoid of contextual information and important facts that in many cases I have not been able to match the magazine accident report with those mentioned in this forum.

The end result has been that effective accident reporting is no longer taking place in the USHPA magazine or in this forum. Am I the only one who feels this way?
Things just keep better and better with each passing year.
I was talking to Bart at Cowboy Up about Mike's accident...
Good man...

http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=14230
pro tow set-up
Bart Weghorst - 2009/11/09 18:34:13 UTC

Can anyone but Aerotow fill me in? This sounds serious. Was he heard by the FAA?
http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=21033
barrels release without any tension except weight of rope..
Bart Weghorst - 2011/02/25 19:06:26 UTC

I've had it once where the pin had bent inside the barrel from excessive tow force. My weaklink was still intact. The tug pilot's weaklink broke so I had the rope. I had to use two hands to get the pin out of the barrel.
No stress because I was high.
...Bart. Nothing and nobody gets in his way when he's defending...
Jim Rooney - 2013/02/11 09:13:01 UTC

Hey Deltaman.
Get fucked.
Bart Weghorst - 2013/02/11 13:14:30 UTC

Ditto
...our time honored and proven safety standards and equipment.
...and what he took from the report in the magazine confirmed my fears that someone simply reading that report would get an erroneous view of what happened.
Erroneous from whose perspective? I think if you follow the discussions on Zack Marzec and look at the poll results on releases and weak links you'll find that most folk are pretty content with the situation as it is. What makes you think your opinions are any better than anyone else's?
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

http://ozreport.com/9.188
Mike Haas's accident at Hang Glide Chicago
The USHGA official hang glider Accident Review Chairman.
Joe Gregor - 2005/09/13

After Angelo's post in the Oz Report I decided to review my information concerning the reporting on Mike's accident.
So in the update we'll hear something about the release that your road trip buddy Steve Kinsley characterizes as stinking on ice and the Rooney Link that dumped him into the unrecoverable stall? Just kidding.
In his e-mails to me, Angelo's concern seemed centered on a lack of acknowledgement for his contribution, and the long timeframe required for the report to hit the magazine.
That's odd. In his post on the issue he states that the most frustrating and galling part was how the report simplified Mike's accident and made it easy to dismiss - which was exactly my take.
Angelo did indeed send me a detailed report via US Mail, which all have now seen, and which I used in drafting the Executive Summary for the column in HG Magazine. Other sources include statements from at least four other witnesses and numerous e-mail messages of discussions concerning the accident from a digest maintained by the local club.
- None of which, of course, cited the Quallaby Release and/or Rooney Link as possible issues.

- And I'm sure that local club was just as interested in getting to the bottom of things and fixing the underlying problems as was our local club after Ron Higgs, Frank Sauber, Bill Bennett, Mike Del Signore, Holly Korzilius, and John Dullahan were injured or half or fully killed in towing incidents.
At the time of Mike's accident I had been the HG Accident Review Chairman for only a few months. There was no one on the committee but myself.
So obviously there was no one who could or would have been able and willing to help you with any review and analysis.
In the previous three months, we had experienced seven fatalities or near-fatalities:

03/03 on an XC from LMFP,
Blown landing in injun country? What are we gonna learn?
4/22 on a launch from Sugarloaf Peak, CA,
Blown foot launch. What are we gonna learn?
5/17 a structural failure experienced during aerobatics in NC (Bo's accident),
Total fucking asshole blows up borrowed glider with race wires and throws chute not connected to harness. Next...
5/28 another structural failure at Dry Canyon, NM,
How 'bout we publish an article in the magazine telling people how to build stronger gliders?
6/19 a H-2 outlanding at Hull Mountain, CA,
Blown landing in injun country by a prematurely rated Novice? What are we gonna learn?
6/24 a severe weather related event at King Mountain, ID,
Caution: The Surgeon General has determined that flying hang gliders in severe weather may be hazardous to your health. Next...
...and 2 days later, on 6/26, Mike Haas' accident.
Manned Kiting
The Basic Handbook of Tow Launched Hang Gliding
Daniel F. Poynter

"Never take your hands off the bar." - Tom Peghiny
"The greatest dangers are a rope break or a premature release." - Richard Johnson
There is no way that one man (even if he didn't have two jobs and a family) could simultaneously perform a creditable investigation...
Creditable by whom, Joe?
...of seven geographically separated accidents...
How is geographic separation relevant? Do we get better internet and telephone connections within a fifty mile radius?
...and maintain situational awareness with the constant flow of minor accident reports flowing in day-by-day.
What percentage of those reports involve issues other than flare timing and did you read the magazine article by Jayne DePanfilis eleven months ago?
The only solution was to create a process which relied on local volunteers to conduct the data collection and at least some of the analysis for each major accident.
- The ONLY solution?

-- I started towing in 1980 and, although I hadn't yet figured out The Great Standard Aerotow Weak Link Scam, I had developed the best aerotow release equipment on the planet. And I don't recall you asking ME for any help or input on that one.

-- How 'bout doing some triage? Prioritize and do a thorough piece on the guy who got snuffed doing everything by the Industry Standard book and save the Bo Hagewood aerobatics assholes for really slow news days.

- So after all this massive effort all these local assholes put into data collection and analysis we didn't get any info on the location of the "release" lever, the hook-in weight of the pilot, or the breaking strength of the weak link?
I tried to outline a vision for this process in one of my early columns. The USHGA SOPs call on the Regional Directors to serve in this role, and they are the first people I look to...
- And the USHGA SOPs have ALWAYS provided such an EXCELLENT framework on which to operate. Perish the thought that anybody should think for a nanosecond about deviating from them in any way or to any degree.

- Really? Those motherfuckers are just ahead of tow park operators and crew on a list in descending order of people I'd be looking at to investigate one of these.
...but we are all volunteers (the accident review committee has limited resources and no budget)...
Which is another way of saying that USHGA doesn't give a flying fuck about the safety of its membership and really doesn't want any good data and analysis of crashes circulating. Much more interested in T-shirt sales.
...so I would appoint as Principle Investigator whomever seemed willing, motivated, and in the best position to accomplish the task.
The task, of course, being to blame the dead guy and whitewash the operation, industry, and USHGA to the maximum extent possible.
I would draft an Executive Summary for the column based on their input, be it a larger report (my ultimate desire) or just a collection of facts and analysis they were able to put together and/or send my way. I would share the Summary with the Principle Investigator for their comment and changes before submitting it to the magazine. Is it a prefect process? No, the resources don't exist for perfect but it was at least functional.
It's a MUCH easier job now.

http://ozreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=25321
Stop the Stupids at the USHPA BOD meeting
Mark G. Forbes - 2011/09/30 23:21:56 UTC

Here's how it really works:

- Member submits an accident report. Could be the pilot who had the accident, or some other witness.

- Accident report is sent to Tim to maintain legal privilege. Tim reviews the report and determines whether there's significant legal risk associated with it. He may redact certain parts (personally identifiable information, etc.) if in his opinion exposure of that information poses a risk to us. If the report is very risky, he may decide that it can't be shared further, and will notify the ED about it. He may also notify our insurers if he sees a potential for a claim, as is normal practice for any incident where we are aware of such a potential.

- Redacted report goes to the accident review chairs, for incorporation into periodic articles in the magazine. Articles focus on root causes of accidents, not on personal narratives or details.

The whole procedure is outlined in SOP 03-16, which you can read by logging into the USHPA website and clicking on "Policy Manual".
In fact, because virtually all noteworthy incidents involve gross negligence at the top level we don't really even need an Accident Review Committee anymore.
In the case of Mike's accident several names were offered up to me as a potential Lead for the investigation. Angelo's was not one of them, presumably because he was not on-site at the time of the accident.
Yeah. You always get your best analyses from the people who were on site. The analysis that Steve Wendt did on Holly Korzilius...
...the results of some unfortunate poor decisions of the injured pilot.

...and completed 3 oscilations before it took her 90 degrees from the tow vehicle upon when the tug pilot hit the release and Holly continued turning away from the tow in a fairly violent exchange of force.

Holly for some reason chose to fly her Litesport, she has always towed it with proper releases and weak links...

...nor had she been trained to understand potential problems.

...one is that you have a proper weak link installed.

...and we can only assume that she didn't even consider the fact that she now didn't have a weak link link.

...she was cross controlling, and had no weak link.

The pilot also stayed on tow too long. She should have released after the first, or even the second oscilation when she realized that things were not correct. Failing to do so put the glider in a locked out situation that she could no longer control.
...was one of the best I've ever seen.

And I'd really like to see Paul and Lauren appointed as co-leads to get to the bottom of this latest one at Quest.
Everyone should be thankful to Gary for stepping up to the plate when no one else was willing.
Again, Joe... I don't recall you asking me for anything.
Had it not been for him, it seemed to me at the time, no creditable investigation of Mike's accident could have been accomplished.
Whoa, DUDE!!! And you got the EXACT SAME results WITH him. Who'da thunk.
Angelo's report was received by USHGA on 27 September - three months after the accident - and sometime later forwarded to me. I included it with all of the other information coming to me on Mike's accident, but I continued to look to Gary to lead this particular investigation, as I looked to others to lead the remaining six accidents. When Angelo e-mailed me six to seven months later wanting to know why nothing had been done, I believe I told him that Gary was on it and that he should send his information Gary's way so it could be included in Gary's report. I agree, it would be desirable for the committee chair to acknowledge every letter, report, and e-mail as they come in. There is simply not enough time in the day.
That wasn't EVERY letter, report, or e-mail. That was a real biggie on fatality in a very large and important branch of our sport that's extremely dangerous because it's based on a foundation of total crap and nobody knows what the fuck is going on.
I also acknowledge the long time it took for Mike's accident to make it into the magazine. I do not know what can or should be done to accelerate the process in this regard.
Scrap the useless fucking magazine and go entirely online? Just kidding.

When we were on the CHGA Board together I recommended scrapping the damned paper newsletter because with the advent of the internet it had become a massive time, money, energy, resources devouring waste but you fought for and won continuation because there were still two or three people living in caves who weren't connected. But there weren't too many more years of that lunacy continuing before it collapsed under its own weight.
Even running the extremely long columns I was writing, at two accidents per column, and one column every other month, and a two month set-up time for the magazine, it would take over nine months to achieve print on the fatal/near-fatal accidents we had lying in wait.
And then there's the cave paintings you gotta do for the people without mailboxes.
In addition, I felt it would be unfair to unduly rush those who volunteered to give up their time and energy to do the difficult job of investigating these accidents.
And silencing anyone who might have some take a bit more probing than:
Joe Gregor - 2004/09

In my mind the major point of the magazine column is to relate lessons learned.
- Really? In my mind the major point of the magazine column is to portray the sport as as being as safe as finger painting for anybody who isn't a total moron like the one per thousand per year types who try to save a bad situation instead of getting off tow before there's a problem and thus die doing something they love.

- Bullshit. There ARE NEVER any lessons to be learned on these that haven't been well understood - and brutally suppressed - for most of the history of this sport.
These lessons will not spoil due to a few months delay.
Yeah, it's not like somebody could get killed next weekend due to the same issue.
They may spoil if the investigation is rushed, however.
Before everybody can get together on the same story, swear to stick to it no matter what, and promise to NEVER but NEVER attribute so much as a slightly bowed downtube to an Industry Standard release or loop of 130 pound Greenspot.
Since the magazine column format is ill suited to play the role of instant messaging anyway, I felt that any attempts to rush an investigation would prove counter-productive. If you want immediate dissemination, the Oz Report is the appropriate vehicle, not the magazine.
Yeah Joe, fer sure.

http://ozreport.com/12.081
Weaklinks - the HGFA rules
Davis Straub - 2008/04/22 14:47:00 UTC

At the 2008 Forbes Flatlands Greenspot for the first time was used as the standard weaklink material (thanks in large part to the efforts of Bobby Bailey). We applaud these efforts to improve the safety of aerotowing by using a better weaklink material.
http://ozreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=592
Linknife
Davis Straub - 2010/04/03 12:46:26 UTC

Tad is gone.
http://ozreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=24534
It's a wrap
Davis Straub - 2011/07/30 19:51:54 UTC

I'm very happy with the way Quest Air (Bobby Bailey designed) does it now.
Zach Marzec
Davis Straub - 2013/02/09 16:45:39 UTC

I can't see how the weaklink has anything to do with this accident.
http://ozreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=22660
What can be learned from this "scooter" towing accident?
Davis Straub - 2011/02/07 19:21:29 UTC

Okay, enough. On to new threads.
Davis gets stuff out faster, the magazine is a little more thorough - but everyone's on the same page with respect to the basics so you know the conclusions are all spot on.
As for the Conclusions and Recommendations, I probably deserve to take a small hit there.
Can I weigh in on this one?
The Probable Cause is the part that relates to what made the accident happen. But the Recommendations, those are there to help others find a way to avoid suffering the same fate.
Like the guy who was pulling Mike Haas did along with his tandem student at the same operation ten days days before you posted this? Keep up the great work, dude!
The Probable (and I mean probable) Cause in Mike's accident was, quite literally, a failure to maintain aircraft control. Nothing more definitive than that can be said.
Try this, motherfucker...

Was the glider equipped such that ANYBODY would be...
Doug Hildreth - 1991/06
USHGA Accident Review Committee Chairman

Pilot with some tow experience was towing on a new glider which was a little small for him. Good launch, but at about fifty feet the glider nosed up, stalled, and the pilot released by letting go of the basetube with right hand. Glider did a wingover to the left and crashed into a field next to the tow road. Amazingly, there were minimal injuries.

Comment: This scenario has been reported numerous times. Obviously, the primary problem is the lack of pilot skill and experience in avoiding low-level, post-launch, nose-high stalls. The emphasis by countless reporters that the pilot lets go of the glider with his right hand to activate the release seems to indicate that we need a better hands-on way to release.

I know, I know, "If they would just do it right. Our current system is really okay." I'm just telling you what's going on in the real world. They are not doing it right and it's up to us to fix the problem.
Dave Broyles - 1990/11

I talked to a lot of pilots at Hobbs, and the consensus was that in the course of Eric Aasletten's accident, had a weak link break occurred instead of the manual or auto release that apparently did occur, the outcome would have been the same. Under the circumstances the one thing that would have given Eric a fighting chance to survive was to have remained on the towline.
...capable of maintaining aircraft control? Well, I'm sure YOU would've aced it with YOUR Wallaby-style tow release and Rooney Link - but I'm talking about your AVERAGE Joe.

(Ever bother reading any of the columns of any of your predecessors or do you feel they couldn't be saying anything worth listening to and you need to start everything from scratch to really do the job right?)
But telling pilots that the lesson learned here is to maintain control of your glider, that is less than illuminating.
Would being able make and have control of decisions to get off and stay on tow have any relevance on this one? Just kidding.
So when I write a Recommendation, it is not intended to outline what should have been done in this accident; it is intended to highlight things that could be done to mitigate or prevent a similar future accident.
Damn! You really nailed this one down! Keep up the great work.
In the info I received on Mike's accident, there was no objective logbook review. Instead, in addition to Angelo's report, I received things like: "This pilot was very experienced at coastal ridge soaring, and less experienced (although he had recent experience at a FL aeropark)...
Possibly the one at which he acquired the Wallaby-style tow release on which the gate was found closed - indicating that the pilot made no attempt to release from tow prior to the weak link break?

Did you check out their website?
The Wallaby Ranch Aerotowing Primer for Experienced Pilots - 1998/02

A weak link connects the V-pull to the release, providing a safe limit on the tow force. If you fail to maintain the correct tow position (centered, with the wheels of the tug on the horizon), the weak link will break before you can get into too much trouble.
Did you congratulate Malcolm and Dave Glover for accurately predicting that the Rooney Link succeeded beyond all expectations in:

- providing a safe limit on the tow force?

- breaking when Mike failed to maintain the correct tow position (centered, with the wheels of the tug on the horizon) before he got into too much trouble?
...with aerotow." There was no consensus that Mike had ever towed the higher performance wing he was flying the day of the accident, and Angelo himself one e-mail stated that "It's very possible that this was his first tow on the Lightsport." One reporter indicated that Mike had recently taken a few years off to build a house "but still managed a few dune flights each year." His last reported aerotow was in October of 2003.

Altogether in my mind, this became an experienced foot-launch pilot who had relatively little aerotow experience, and none of it current. I admit that this may have been a poor characterization, but that is what I came away with from the information presented to me of a pilot whom I unfortunately never knew.
OK, let's make him an experienced foot-launch pilot who had relatively little aerotow experience, and none of it current. So, given that, how well was he equipped for the flight that day?
With 20/20 hindsight, in the case of Mike's accident, I should have written "flying a new class of wing" or "after a long break in activity, indicated reduced proficiency" or something similar...
Why should you have written that? What's the evidence that those were relevant issues?

He'd have been perfectly OK flying at low altitude into that thermal...

Fatality Report

Soon after launching, the glider and tug flew through a strong thermal. This is confirmed by witnesses watching the tug, and the tug pilot's reporting a strong spike in climb rate.
...if he had been super experienced, qualified, current...
Bill Bryden - 2000/02

Dennis Pagen informed me several years ago about an aerotow lockout that he experienced. One moment he was correcting a bit of alignment with the tug and the next moment he was nearly upside down. He was stunned at the rapidity. I have heard similar stories from two other aerotow pilots.
Dennis Pagen - 2005/01

I hung on and resisted the tendency to roll to the side with as strong a roll input as I could, given that the bar was at my knees. I didn't want to release, because I was so close to the ground and I knew that the glider would be in a compromised attitude. In addition, there were hangars and trees on the left, which is the way the glider was tending.

By the time we gained about sixty feet I could no longer hold the glider centered - I was probably at a twenty degree bank - so I quickly released before the lockout to the side progressed.

The glider instantly whipped to the side in a wingover maneuver.
...and had written the fuckin' book on aerotowing?
...rather than using the all-encompassing "new launch method" phrase. Water under the bridge. I have done the best I know how given the limited resources at my disposal.
Such a pity that you got so fucked over with the critical thinking and common sense allocations.
My Reserve commander once said that you know you are in the zone when your employer, your family, and the Reserves are all equally pissed-off at you. By that criterion I have achieved 'balance'.
Is that what he says to people under his command in front line combat? Did Mike Haas, Arlan Birkett, Jeremiah Thompson, and Zack Marzec get any less killed by crappy training, procedures, and equipment on the ends of towlines than they would have by ground fire as consequences of third assed intelligence reports?

Some things you decide you're gonna either do right or not at all. And hang gliding would've been a lot better off with NOTHING from you than with the crap you wrote which leaves the reader with the impression that the only thing wrong with his Wallaby-style tow release was his failure to elect to use it and that we're all supposed to be flying with Rooney Links which always break before we can get into too much trouble and dump us into fatal stalls whenever we're trying to deal with moderate levels of trouble.
I strongly encourage anyone interested in the position of HG Accident Review Committee Chair to contact USHGA and let them know. I see no need to carry out a task that could be better performed by another willing volunteer.
- Define the task, Joe... Fix the massive and perpetual issues of incompetence and shoddiness which kill people like clockwork or assign as much blame as possible to the losers of the roulette game that everybody's playing?

- Better performed from whose perspective? The bottom level people just interested in participating in the sport or the top level people primarily interested in selling it and themselves?
Your application will have my full support.
As will my article on unhooked launches.

That's alright, Joe. It's really hard to imagine anyone doing a better job for the commercial interests than you are.

Lemme tell ya sumpin', asshole...

You and everybody and his fuckin' dog know perfectly goddam well that bullshit EXACTLY like this happens ALL the time - just almost all the time high enough to be able to get away with it 'cause only rarely are the thermals at the altitudes at which people are playing for keeps powerful enough to set one of these off.

And to totally ignore all the incidents which are IDENTICAL except for pulling out well prior to impact because they pulled out well before impact is a grotesque dereliction of duty. So do the fuckin' job right or don't do it at all.