Towing Aloft

General discussion about the sport of hang gliding
Tad Eareckson

Re: Towing Aloft

Post by Tad Eareckson »

Towing Aloft

Three recent aerotowing accidents have occurred - one fatal. The common thread in all three was a lockout and the use of a much too heavy weak link. Tandem gliders are much less responsive than smaller gliders and the pilot in command often has a less than ideal position on the control bar. The situation shouldn't be compromised by an over-strength weak link.
- The use of *A* much too heavy weak link? Wouldn't there hafta be *TWO* much too heavy weak links to neutralize *A* weak link as a lockout preventer?

- So Bill and Mike would've been just fine if only they - and Dave - had used a properly applied weak link. 'Cause a properly applied weak link would've been able to predict that Dave wasn't gonna come back down and give them sufficient tension - sorry, PRESSURE - to keep them from stalling.

- But Bill and Mike - with over 37 years of hang gliding experience between them - were too clueless to understand what a properly applied weak link would've known in an instant and never made any attempt to release whatsoever. Ya just can't trust these humans to make and effect their own decisions.

- And there was Dave - and his properly applied weak link - on the front end, also electing to defer to the judgment of Bill and Mike and their improperly applied weak link and continue the tow.

- Wanna express these weak links in terms of something better than "much too heavy"? Gs maybe? Or would that make this bullshit you're writing even easier to rip to shreds?
The common thread in all three was a lockout and the use of a much too heavy weak link.
Dynamic Flight - 2005

Weak Links

In all aviation the pilot is usually the weakest link.
Any possibility there were OTHER common threads in these aerotowing "accidents"? People in planes who didn't know what the fuck they were doing maybe?
Tandem gliders are much less responsive than smaller gliders and the pilot in command often has a less than ideal position on the control bar. The situation shouldn't be compromised by an over-strength weak link.
Bill Bryden - 2000/02

Dennis Pagen informed me several years ago about an aerotow lockout that he experienced. One moment he was correcting a bit of alignment with the tug and the next moment he was nearly upside down. He was stunned at the rapidity. I have heard similar stories from two other aerotow pilots.
No, if you're gonna have a situation compromised it should always be on a responsive smaller glider with the pilot in command in an ideal position on the control bar using an understrength weak link.

And it should always be high enough so that you can survive and keep collecting royalties on all the lunatic crap you've published.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

Towing Aloft - 1998/01

In recent years, two serious lockout accidents occurred with surface based towing: one resulting in a fatality and the other a very serious injury. In both of these events the line tension was being monitored directly and it never exceeded 120-130 pounds, well below the breaking point for the weak links!
No shit.

Surface based towing. And you're saying "the line tension was being MONITORED directly". So obviously this is static.

- 'Cause payout operators don't - and CAN'T - directly monitor line tension. They SET the hydraulic brake system pressure to yield a reasonably constant towline tension.

- We also have a pretty good idea this is static 'cause it's about a hundred time easier to have a serious lockout "accident" on static than payout.

I don't know which serious "accidents" you're talking about but let's look at this one...
Bill Bryden - 2000/02

Our sport suffered a tragic fatality the evening of December 11. Debbie Young, age 43, an enthusiastic new novice-level pilot died from injuries suffered in a hang gliding crash.

Deb successfully launched a beginner glider from ground-launch cart being towed with a static-line tow system. At approximately 125 feet (estimates by observers ranged from less than 100 up to 150 feet), her glider started turning relative to the towline.

The glider rolled over extremely quickly and dove into the ground in a manner of only several seconds.

An instructor mentoring Deb during her early solo tows radioed release instructions and the tow was aborted, but it was observed that her hands appeared to not leave the control bar to effect release. Towline tension was controlled at 120-130 pounds and the towline release's integrated weak link did not break.
Surface based, static, towline tension never exceeded 120-130 pounds, well below the breaking point for the weak link, lockout, fatal... What more could you ask for!
This month's incident column was personally particularly troubling to write. I knew Deb. I was there. I saw her crash. Her husband saw the crash and we cried together at the hospital.
It's almost like you had a time machine so you could participate in this little atrocity then hop back and use it for your book! (You don't have a time machine, do you?)

So what I'm wondering...
Fortunately, we have good defenses against lockouts. These defenses include limiting the tow forces by using weak links and pressure gauges...
A weak link is the focal point of a safe towing system.
A weak link is a very simple device--typically a loop of line--that is intended to break in the event towline tensions exceed a safe or desired threshold.
A common belief is that a weak link will protect a pilot from lockouts, high bank turns, high angles of attack and other perils. This belief is predicated on the notion that these maneuvers cause increases in tow force which breaks the weak link and frees the pilot from the towline. The validity of this argument is entirely dependent upon the kind of towing that is being performed. We can list two general categories of towing: speed controlled towing and tension controlled towing.

Speed controlled towing is when the speed of the device doing the towing is maintained at a reasonably constant value. Controls, such as throttle, are used to keep the speed of the tow vehicle or tow winch operating at a constant speed. Towline tension can vary dramatically in response to thermals, sink, pilot corrections, etc. Aerotowing is clearly in this category as the tug needs to maintain a minimum speed to prevent stalling. Many of the early towing efforts of the '70s where the vehicle drove at a fixed speed would also fall into this category. Weak links very clearly will provide protection from excessive angles of attack, high bank turns and the like for this form of towing.
A weak link is required that will not break needlessly in response to moderate thermals, or pilot inputs, yet will break at a low enough point to avoid disaster or excessive pilot panic.
Your glider and life are not cheap; DON'T TOW WITHOUT A SAFE WEAK LINK.
A weak link is a fuse that protects the equipment--your body!--on an overloaded circuit.
In the case of lockouts or turbulence, the weak link breaks as designed and should not be increased in strength.
Always use a weak link when towing--WEAK LINKS SAVE LIVES.
Of course, your weak link should break before the lockout becomes too severe, but that assumes a properly applied weak link.
...do you think one of you assholes coulda written a book this stupid all by yourself or did you need each other to bounce ideas off of?
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

Towing Aloft

Three recent aerotowing accidents have occurred - one fatal. The common thread in all three was a lockout and the use of a much too heavy weak link.
THE common thread...

Bullshit.

1996/07/25 - Bill Bennett / Mike Del Signore
1998/10/25 - Jamie Alexander / Frank Spears
2009/08/31 - Roy Messing

- Smooth winds from zero to five miles per hour.
- Runways from 120 to 821 feet MSL within an average of 62 miles of a major lake.
- ONLY within a period PRECISELY three months long. Should be fine from mid autumn to early summer.
- All dudes.
- First names - one to two syllables.
- ALL the last flight of the day. Second to last flight of the day - never a problem.
- Two point bridles.
- Helmets.
- Locking steel carabiners.

I think we need to do a lot more looking at some of these other common threads to REALLY understand the issue. Who knows WHAT we may be missing?

So we already know y'all are either:

- too goddam stupid to consider the weak link at the FRONT end of the towline; or

- evil enough to deliberately draw attention away from the fact that the front end weak link was light enough to have limited the tension to within your bullshit range which very clearly will provide protection from excessive angles of attack, high bank turns, lockouts, and excessive pilot panic for this form of towing.

You haven't told us:
- what precipitated the lockouts;
- how fast the lockouts progressed;
- if the tow was survivable after the onset of the lockout; or
- whether the tension ever reached as much as two thirds of a G before the glider slammed in or the flight became unrecoverable.
Three recent aerotowing accidents have occurred - one fatal. The common thread in all three was a lockout and the use of a much too heavy weak link.
Three recent automobile accidents have occurred - one fatal. The common thread in all three was a car flying off the outside of a turn at eighty miles per hour and the use of a much too powerful engine.
The truth of the matter is that even if you dickheads COULD give me a low lethal lockout in which the tension exceeded a G, I can give you a good handful of lethal low level lockouts and untold scores of breathtaking but inconsequential jobs at altitude like these:
In recent years, two serious lockout accidents occurred with surface based towing: one resulting in a fatality and the other a very serious injury. In both of these events the line tension was being monitored directly and it never exceeded 120-130 pounds, well below the breaking point for the weak links!
in which the tension doesn't get over a half a G before the glider is long beyond any ghost of a hope of return.

You wanna look at shit that ACTUALLY crashes and kills aerotowed gliders?
Towing Aloft - 1998/01

Safety Tip: Ideally the release handle should be close to your hand in flying position for a quick emergency release.
Manned Kiting - 1974

"Never take your hands off the bar." - Tom Peghiny
Gregg B. McNamee - 1996/12

Common sense tells us that the last thing we want to do in an emergency situation is give up control of the glider in order to terminate the tow.

If your system requires you to take your hand off the control bar to actuate the release it is not suitable.
British Hang Gliding and Paragliding Association Technical Manual - 2003/04

On tow the Pilot in Command must have his hand actually on the release at all times. 'Near' the release is not close enough! When you have two hands completely full of locked-out glider, taking one off to go looking for the release guarantees that your situation is going to get worse before it gets better.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/skysailingtowing/message/6726
Weaklinks
Peter Birren - 2008/10/27 23:41:49 UTC

Imagine if you will, just coming off the cart and center punching a thermal which takes you instantly straight up while the tug is still on the ground. Know what happens? VERY high towline forces and an over-the-top lockout. You'll have both hands on the basetube pulling it well past your knees but the glider doesn't come down and still the weaklink doesn't break (.8G). So you pull whatever release you have but the one hand still on the basetube isn't enough to hold the nose down and you pop up and over into an unplanned semi-loop. Been there, done that... at maybe 200 feet agl.
Dennis Pagen - 2005/01

By the time we gained about sixty feet I could no longer hold the glider centered - I was probably at a twenty degree bank - so I quickly released before the lockout to the side progressed. The glider instantly whipped to the side in a wingover maneuver.
Doug Hildreth - 1991/06

Pilot with some tow experience was towing on a new glider which was a little small for him. Good launch, but at about fifty feet the glider nosed up, stalled, and the pilot released by letting go of the basetube with right hand. Glider did a wingover to the left and crashed into a field next to the tow road. Amazingly, there were minimal injuries.

Comment: This scenario has been reported numerous times. Obviously, the primary problem is the lack of pilot skill and experience in avoiding low-level, post-launch, nose-high stalls. The emphasis by countless reporters that the pilot lets go of the glider with his right hand to activate the release seems to indicate that we need a better hands-on way to release.

I know, I know, "If they would just do it right. Our current system is really okay." I'm just telling you what's going on in the real world. They are not doing it right and it's up to us to fix the problem. Think about it.
Towing Aloft

Pro Tip: Always thank the tug pilot for intentionally releasing you, even if you feel you could have ridden it out. He should be given a vote of confidence that he made a good decision in the interest of your safety.
Bill Bryden - 1999/06

During the tug's roll-out for the second launch attempt, the tug pilot observed the glider clear the runway dust and then begin a left bank with no immediate correction. At that point he noticed that the launch cart was hanging below the glider and immediately released his end of the 240 foot towline. The tug never left the ground and tug pilot watched the glider continue a hard bank to the left achieving an altitude of approximately 25 feet. Impact was on the left wing and then the nose of the glider. Rob was killed immediately from severe neck and head trauma.
Towing Aloft

"It is infinitely better to have a weak link break too soon rather than too late."
-- Towing Proverb
http://ozreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=865
Tandem pilot and passenger death
Mike Van Kuiken - 2005/10/13 19:47:26 UTC

The weak link broke from the tow plane side. The towline was found underneath the wreck, and attached to the glider by the weaklink. The glider basically fell on the towline.
Towing Aloft - 1998/01

TOWING INSTRUCTION

Safety Tip: You may be an advanced rated pilot in foot launching, but if you have no towing experience, you are a beginner tow pilot. It is important to get expert instruction in the type of towing you are learning.
Wallaby Ranch - 1998/02

Aerotow Primer for Experienced Pilots

Welcome to Wallaby Ranch, the first and largest Aerotow Hang Gliding Flight Park in the World! We're the aerotowing (or "AT") professionals; no-one knows AT like we do; it's all we do, and we do it everyday, year-round. This primer will teach you the basics of AT theory and technique. Our instructors have fine-tuned this system over the course of many years, while teaching thousands of people how to aerotow hang gliders. Careful study of this material will make your transition to AT faster, easier, less expensive, and safer. When done properly, AT is your gateway to longer, higher, hassle-free flights, and more airtime with less effort than ever before.

Flying Under Tow

Remember: it is almost impossible to stall under aerotow. The induced thrust vector makes the glider trim at a higher attitude. It is OK to push way out; you will climb, not stall.
Dave Farkas - 1996/08/02

I didn't want to try this, but I thought if I reduced power a little, I might be able to lighten the pressure for Mike and Bill and maybe they could get the glider back under control, so I came back on the power some. I waited a short period and then powered up to try and force a weak link break or make the towline release. At this time the trike was again being pulled what seemed very close to the tree line. I kept up power to try to pull us away when either the weak link on the trike broke or the towline released. I was able to pull the trike away from the trees and circled back to check on the glider which I then saw on the ground.
Towing Aloft - 1998/01

A manual of this scope entails gathering information from many sources. No single individual can posses all the necessary experience covering all the facets of towing. Therefore we are greatly indebted to those developers, instructors, manufacturers and experimenters who have brought us modern towing and have shared their insights. We especially thank Gerard Thevenot for teaching us to aerotow, Wallaby Ranch for refining our skills and Raven Hang Gliding for their helpful input. We also owe a debt of gratitude to Wayne Sayer, the Wallaby Ranch, and Raven Hang Gliding for proofreading the manuscript.

Individuals such as Donnell Hewett, Dave Broyles, Lars Linde, Mike Robertson, Brad Kushner, Malcolm Jones, David Glover, Greg McNamee, Jan Alda, Alan Chuculate and Bill Moyes have also offered specific information either through their writing or by personal communication. Finally we wish to thank individuals and operations who have generously contributed photos to our project. John Heiney, Brad Kushner, Miami Hang Gliding, Kitty Hawk Kites, Moyes Delta Gliders and Wallaby Ranch especially provided a multitude of great images. Their work has enhanced this book tremendously.
But just keep feeding people more of your crap about much too heavy weak links so we can keep on ignoring the REAL dangers of towing - incompetent schools and operations and their shoddy equipment.
Towing Aloft

We suggest this manual be used as a textbook and reference for all towing schools or operations.
And you can keep selling your stupid manual to be used as an advertisement for all towing schools and operations and they can sell your stupid textbook and reference so whenever they kill somebody they can use it to justify their incompetence and shoddy equipment.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

DISCLAIMER

WARNING: Towing hang gliders, paragliders and ultralight sailplanes requires equipment, techniques and training different from that associated with free flight. Adding a tow force to these craft through a towline changes the glider's response to different condition factors and requires different procedures on the part of the pilot. This book describes these procedures in detail for common forms of towing with safety as a guiding light. However, this book cannot be a substitute for personal expert instruction and is intended to be an enhancement to the training situation as well as a reference manual for schools and pilots. In addition, this book cannot describe all possible situations facing a pilot experiencing towing. Towing of hang gliders, paragliders and ultralight sailplanes results in the pilot gaining potential and kinetic energy with respect to the earth and other obstructions, so just as with other activities such as bicycling, skiing, or driving a car, failure to follow safe practices can result in injury or death. Consequently you, the pilot, are the determinate of your own safety. Do not attempt anything you think is unsafe. Your own safety is your responsibility, just as it is when you pilot an airplane or drive a car.
Right.

Just like flying a Cessna...
Bill Bryden - 2000/02

Dennis Pagen informed me several years ago about an aerotow lockout that he experienced. One moment he was correcting a bit of alignment with the tug and the next moment he was nearly upside down. He was stunned at the rapidity. I have heard similar stories from two other aerotow pilots.
With controls that occasionally lock full left or right before you can blink.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/skysailingtowing/message/6726
Give 'em the rope? When?
William Olive - 2005/02/11 08:59:57 UTC

I give 'em the rope if they drop a tip (seriously drop a tip), or take off stalled. You will NEVER be thanked for it, for often they will bend some tube.
http://ozreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2266
Nuno Fontes - Hang Gliding Towing Accident.
Nuno Fontes - 2006/05/27

The best option seemed to be to resist the lock out and slowly bring the glider down, even if it was crooked, but another problem arose when the observer had the towline cut when I was down to about fifty feet.

I had no chance. The glider that had been hanging on like a kite dead leafed to the ground. The left leading edge hit first, destroying it along with the nose plates. My body's impact point was the left shoulder and the left side of my head and neck.

I remained unconscious for about twenty minutes with a bloody face from what poured from my nose. The chopper arrived about an hour after the crash. I was already semi-conscious but in a lot of pain and having trouble breathing. I was hauled to Stanford (about half an hour flight time).
Pro Tip: Always thank the tug pilot for intentionally releasing you, even if you feel you could have ridden it out. He should be given a vote of confidence that he made a good decision in the interest of your safety.
http://www.chgpa.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2467
weak links
Jim Rooney - 2007/08/01

Whatever's going on back there, I can fix it by giving you the rope.

It's more of this crappy argument that being on tow is somehow safer than being off tow.
With, in full control of your engine as you're trying to hold things together coming off the runway through low level turbulence and with absolutely nothing to lose as a consequence bailing on the job because he's got your signature and initials on pile of waiver forms half an inch thick in a locked file cabinet, some illiterate total fucking asshole - who's had your stupid book read to him by a tow park operator with a second grade reading comprehension level - maybe looking in a mirror from a couple of hundred feet away.

And if either the towline he hasn't checked last October or whatever the hell he felt like using for a weak link...

weak links
Jim Rooney - 2007/07/22 22:30:28 UTC

I've heard it a million times before from comp pilots insisting on towing with even doubled up weaklinks (some want no weaklink). I tell them the same thing I'm telling you... suck it up. You're not the only one on the line. I didn't ask to be a test pilot. I can live with your inconvenience.
...or the half G piece of shit he mandates you use for the benefit of your and HIS safety fails you can experience the equivalent of a catastrophic engine failure at any moment without any lead time.

http://ozreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=22308
Better mouse trap(release)?
Jim Rooney - 2010/12/16 18:47:05 UTC

A few years ago, I started refusing to tow people with home made gear.

Approach it for what it is... completely untested and very experimental gear which will likely fail in new and unforseen ways as it tries it's damndest to kill you... and then we can talk.
http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=14230
pro tow set-up
Jim Rooney - 2009/11/02 18:58:13 UTC

Oh it happens.
I have, all the guys I work with have.
(Our average is 1 in 1,000 tows)

Oh yeah... an other fun fact for ya... ya know when it's far more likely to happen? During a lockout. When we're doing lockout training, the odds go from 1 in 1,000 to over 50/50.
http://www.chgpa.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3107
I have a tandem rating!!!
Lauren Tjaden - 2008/03/23 22:20:15 UTC

When Jim got me locked out to the right, I couldn't keep the pitch of the glider with one hand for more than a second (the pressure was a zillion pounds, more or less), but the F'ing release slid around when I tried to hit it. The barrel release wouldn't work because we had too much pressure on it.

Anyhow, the tandem can indeed perform big wingovers, as I demonstrated when I finally got separated from the tug.
http://www.chgpa.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=939
Weak link breaks?
Dan Tomlinson - 2005/08/31 00:33:01 UTC

Tad's post is difficult to read but I've seen his work. His release mechanism is elegant in its simplicity and effectiveness.
With a tangle of uncertifiable shitrigged junk slapped together by some flight park asshole at the outside limits of his "abilities" who fancies himself an engineer and forces you to use it for mission critical applications for the sole reason that that's what he sells.
Towing hang gliders, paragliders and ultralight sailplanes requires equipment, techniques and training different from that associated with free flight. Adding a tow force to these craft through a towline changes the glider's response to different condition factors and requires different procedures on the part of the pilot.
For example...

In free flight it would be totally insane to take a hand off the basetube while trying to fight a turn that's threatening to slam you into the surface. But on tow that's simply not an issue. Right?
This book describes these procedures in detail for common forms of towing with safety as a guiding light.
- Yeah? The physical safety of the pilots or the legal safety of the flight parks and national organization selling your book to the pilots?

- Wouldn't it have been a good ideas for you assholes to figure out what the fuck you were talking about before writing a book and proclaiming it as a guiding light? (Guiding light the way a candle is to a moth and a New York skyscraper is to birds migrating at night.)
Manned Kiting
The Basic Handbook of Tow Launched Hang Gliding
Daniel F. Poynter

"A bad flyer won't hurt a pin man but a bad pin man can kill a flyer." - Bill Bennett
"The greatest dangers are a rope break or a premature release." - Richard Johnson
So what year did we decide that those maxims need not apply? 1981 when Donnell started publishing his crap? Or 1998 when yours came out?
However, this book cannot be a substitute for personal expert instruction and is intended to be an enhancement to the training situation as well as a reference manual for schools and pilots.
- Yeah. That WOULD explain a lot of things.
- What's an "expert"?
Welcome to Wallaby Ranch, the first and largest Aerotow Hang Gliding Flight Park in the World! We're the aerotowing (or "AT") professionals; no-one knows AT like we do; it's all we do, and we do it everyday, year-round.
Anybody who feels like calling himself one?
Wallaby Ranch

A weak link connects the V-pull to the release, providing a safe limit on the tow force. If you fail to maintain the correct tow position (centered, with the wheels of the tug on the horizon), the weak link will break before you can get into too much trouble.
Dynamic Flight

The biggest fallacy in towing is that a weak link will protect you from a lockout.

The purpose of a weak link is solely to prevent the tow force from increasing to a point that the glider can be stressed close to or beyond its structural limits. Lockouts can and do occur without increasing tow tension up until the point where the glider is radically diverging from the direction of tow.
Towing Aloft - 1998/01

Weak links very clearly will provide protection from excessive angles of attack, high bank turns and the like for this form of towing.
Guess we've gotta go with the majority opinion here - especially when the majority has the self-proclaimed experts amongst its ranks. The Dynamic Flight guys are obviously clueless.
In addition, this book cannot describe all possible situations facing a pilot experiencing towing.
Yeah. Particularly ones like...
1990/07/05 - Eric Aasletten - 24 - UP Axis - Hobbs, New Mexico

Reasonably proficient Intermediate with over a year of platform tow experience was launching during tow meet. Homemade ATOL copy with winch on the front of the truck. Immediately after launch, the glider pitched up sharply with nose very high. Apparently the angle caused an "auto release" of the towline from the pilot, who completed a hammerhead stall and dove into the ground. Observer felt that a dust devil, invisible on the runway, contributed to or caused the relatively radical nose-up attitude. Also of concern was the presumed auto release which, if it had not occurred, might have prevented the accident. Severe head injury with unsuccessful CPR.
Dave Broyles - 1990/11

I talked to a lot of pilots at Hobbs, and the consensus was that in the course of Eric Aasletten's accident, had a weak link break occurred instead of the manual or auto release that apparently did occur, the outcome would have been the same. Under the circumstances the one thing that would have given Eric a fighting chance to survive was to have remained on the towline.
...'cause if you had done that you wouldn't have had space to give all the units in English and metric every third paragraph, illustrate the 2:1 Hewett Bridle, and give instructions for "safely" towing two gliders simultaneously behind one tug. Strange, however, that you were somehow able to squeeze it into the "Towing Aloft" chapter of Performance Flying five years earlier:
The trigger line should always be connected to a shoulder strap or some other appropriate easy to reach place on the body. It should not be connected to the pilot's wrist, for a severe stall while on tow can result in an inadvertent release as shown in figure 10-15. Once you are hooked into your bridle, it should be moved in all extreme positions to make sure it doesn't release on its own.
How 'bout this one?
Dennis Pagen - 2005/01

Soon after lift-off the trike tug and I were hit by the mother of all thermals. Since I was much lighter, I rocketed up well above the tug, while the very experienced tug pilot, Neal Harris, said he was also lifted more than he had ever been in his heavy trike. I pulled in all the way, but could see that I wasn't going to come down unless something changed. I hung on and resisted the tendency to roll to the side with as strong a roll input as I could, given that the bar was at my knees. I didn't want to release, because I was so close to the ground and I knew that the glider would be in a compromised attitude. In addition, there were hangars and trees on the left, which is the way the glider was tending. By the time we gained about sixty feet I could no longer hold the glider centered - I was probably at a 20-degree bank - so I quickly released before the lockout to the side progressed. The glider instantly whipped to the side in a wingover maneuver. I cleared the buildings, but came very close to the ground at the bottom of the wingover. I leveled out and landed.

Analyzing my incident made me realize that had I released earlier I probably would have hit the ground at high speed at a steep angle. The result may have been similar to that of the pilot in Germany. The normal procedure for a tow pilot, when the hang glider gets too high, is to release in order to avoid the forces from the glider pulling the tug nose-down into a dangerous dive. However Neal kept me on line until I had enough ground clearance, and I believe he saved me from injury by doing so. I gave him a heart-felt thank you.
Nah, that would probably clash with:
and be too difficult to resolve with the 0.8 G weak links you're always shoving done everybody's throat. Speaking of which:
Performance Flying - 1993/04

Next to a low stall and line break due to a gust, the event most likely to maim on tow...
Towing of hang gliders, paragliders and ultralight sailplanes results in the pilot gaining potential and kinetic energy with respect to the earth and other obstructions...
Duh.
...failure to follow safe practices can result in injury or death.
Or, depending upon what asshole has written the safe procedures, following them.
Consequently you, the pilot, are the determinate of your own safety.
"THE" determinate?
However Neal kept me on line until I had enough ground clearance, and I believe he saved me from injury by doing so.
Weren't the tug driver and the towline and weak link over which he had control the primary determinants of your own safety?
How likely is it that you'd still be alive if you had had some asshole like Rooney on the other end of that rope?
CHAPTER 6

Operating Tow Systems

In this chapter, we look at towing from the perspective of the tow operators. The tow operators are a team consisting of a person who drives the tow vehicle, a person who operates a winch, a person who is a safety observer and a launch assistant. Depending on the type of towing being practiced, some of these duties are not applicable (such as a driver with reel-in winch towing) or are combined to be performed by one person.

The tow team is vitally important to any towing operation. This crew--especially the winch operator or driver--can greatly enhance or compromise the safety of a tow event. We will cover these safety matters as well as methods for operating efficiently. We begin with a general description of duties for each team member, then we cover general procedures of launching and climbout. Finally, we look at operations including emergency procedures for specific types of towing.

NOTE: All Towing pilots as well as operators should read and understand this material in order to assure maximum safety.
The tow team is vitally important to any towing operation.
Merriam-Webster's Collegiate Dictionary

vital: concerned with or necessary to the maintenance of life.
This crew--especially the winch operator or driver--can greatly enhance or compromise the safety of a tow event.
Is it possible for it to compromise the safety of a pilot who's dealing with a situation and has done and is doing everything right enough to crash and kill him?
Consequently you, the pilot, are THE determinate of your own safety.
How can you possibly resolve those two statements? If the crew can "greatly compromise the safety of the tow how can the pilot be "THE determinate of his own safety"?

I got news for you guys... One of the most dangerous things a halfway rational and competent person can do in hang gliding is to hook up to a towline the other end of which is CONTROLLED by someone telling him that he is THE determinate of his own safety - especially if that person is flying a tug and making up the rules any way he feels like.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

When all else fails, release. It is much better to be free of the line and dealing with a slipping, diving, or winging over glider than a lockout.
2004/06/26 - Mike Haas - Advanced - 53 - Litesport 147 - W 5 mph, thermally - Hang Glide Chicago - Cushing Field - Sheridan, Illinois

At around fifty to sixty feet, the glider and tug flew through a strong thermal. This is confirmed by witnesses watching the tug, and the tug pilot's reporting a strong spike in climb rate. The glider pitched up radically and started arcing to the left. The weak link broke and the glider continued rotating left and dove into the ground, first hitting the left wing tip, then nose. The glider's pitch was near vertical on impact, confirmed by the fact that the control bar, except for a bend in one downtube, was basically intact, whereas the keel and one leading edge snapped just behind the nose plate junction. Based on witness and tug pilot accounts, the glider was never over a hundred feet.
Dennis Pagen - 2005/01

The first accident occurred in Germany at an aerotowing competition. The pilot launched with his Litespeed and climbed to about forty feet when he encountered a thermal that lifted him well above the tug. After a few moments, the glider was seen to move to the side and rapidly turn nose down to fly into the ground, still on tow, in a classic lockout maneuver. The impact was fatal.
Really? Not entirely sure I'm seeing the distinction here.
Of course, your weak link should break before the lockout becomes too severe, but that assumes a properly applied weak link.
Of course it SHOULD. Same way God SHOULD also keep really bad things from happening to really good people.

So OBVIOUSLY neither of these guys was a properly applied weak link. So how come you're not commenting on the fact that your German buddy was flying over the hundred kilos permitted him by the DHV?

And what about Mike? Why didn't his properly applied 130 pound Greenspot loop do it's job and keep him from getting in too much trouble?
Another consideration is if you are too low to recover from an unusual glider position after a release, you could have a severe accident.
Really? No shit? How severe?
For that reason, it is important to RELEASE LONG BEFORE A LOCKOUT BECOMES SEVERE when you are low.
Wow. Good thing you told us that. I think the natural inclination of the vast majority of tow pilots is to try to stay on until LONG AFTER a lockout becomes severe when they're low.
You must be rolled to lock out while aerotowing, so keep your wings level. The instant you feel you can't level your wings, RELEASE!
Bill Bryden - 2000/02

So the glider ISN'T rolled away from the tug and IS responding to a correction to get it lined up a little better but in the blink of an eye it's nearly upside down. So maybe what we REALLY should be doing to stay safe is blow tow whenever everything's going fine. Oh right. That's what the 130 pound Greenspot is for.

And, while we're on the subject...
Aerotowing is clearly in this category as the tug needs to maintain a minimum speed to prevent stalling. Weak links very clearly will provide protection from excessive angles of attack, high bank turns and the like for this form of towing.
How come you're not using a properly applied weak link?
Here are two actual incidents that show the importance of the preceding statement.

On a tow in New York, a new tow pilot got way to one side and began to lock out. The tug pilot didn't release and the glider pilot didn't react. The lockout proceeded very rapidly and went to the side so fast that the towline hooked on the trike wing. Both the trike and hang glider pilots were in danger of a serious accident when the weak link broke. The hang glider was in an unusual attitude and the pilot threw his parachute. Both pilots escaped unscathed, but both should have released long before reaching this stage.
Just curious... Which one of the pieces of crap illustrated in your book was he using in place of a halfway sane release?
In that same year, with that same tug pilot, I was aerotowing on a turbulent day. At about 120 feet we were hit by something nasty that left the towline slack and me sitting well above and way to the right of the tug. I remember looking at it from the side. I released immediately and flew back to the field, agitated, but safe and sound.
Wait a minute... I thought the idea was to RELEASE LONG BEFORE A LOCKOUT BECOMES SEVERE when you are low, the instant you feel you can't level your wings. So how did you end up with a slack towline sitting well above and way to the right of the tug - looking at it from the side - before you released "immediately"?

How come the guy who got the towline hooked on the trike wing was a bozo who didn't react but when you also don't react until the towline's slack and the tug is down and to the left somewhere you're God's gift to aviation? 'Cause you're writing the book and he isn't?
You must be rolled to lock out while aerotowing, so keep your wings level. The instant you feel you can't level your wings, RELEASE!
Dennis Pagen - 2005/01

This pilot was a good up-and-coming competition pilot. He had been in my cross-country course three years ago, and this was his second year of competition. What happened to him is not too unusual or mysterious. He encountered so much lift that although he was pulling in the base bar as far as he could, he did not have enough pitch-down control to get the nose down and return to proper position behind the tug. This situation is known as an over-the-top lockout.

I am personally familiar with such a problem, because it happened to me at a meet in Texas. Soon after lift-off the trike tug and I were hit by the mother of all thermals. Since I was much lighter, I rocketed up well above the tug, while the very experienced tug pilot, Neal Harris, said he was also lifted more than he had ever been in his heavy trike. I pulled in all the way, but could see that I wasn't going to come down unless something changed. I hung on and resisted the tendency to roll to the side with as strong a roll input as I could, given that the bar was at my knees. I didn't want to release, because I was so close to the ground and I knew that the glider would be in a compromised attitude. In addition, there were hangars and trees on the left, which is the way the glider was tending. By the time we gained about sixty feet I could no longer hold the glider centered - I was probably at a 20-degree bank - so I quickly released before the lockout to the side progressed. The glider instantly whipped to the side in a wingover maneuver. I cleared the buildings, but came very close to the ground at the bottom of the wingover.
- But in this not too unusual situation the you DON'T hafta be rolled to lock out while aerotowing.

- So shouldn't you also release the instant you feel your wings level?

- So how come you didn't release the instant you felt your wings level?
Aerotowing is clearly in this category as the tug needs to maintain a minimum speed to prevent stalling. Weak links very clearly will provide protection from excessive angles of attack, high bank turns and the like for this form of towing.
- And STILL no properly applied weak link.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

With modern methods employing weak links and pressure gauges this form of towing can be safe and provide the fastest turnaround.
At the first sign of a lockout, the pilot should make a quick correction while the tow observer should lighten the tow pressure.
Light tow pressures down low when thermals abound make good sense.
The idea behind a payout winch is to have the towline conveniently wrapped on a reel that gradually feeds it out under a constant regulated pressure. This solves several problems: First, the tow pressure can be kept to a minimum or more importantly kept below a maximum so control problems including lockout are greatly reduced.
Towing Commands

Go to cruise
Accelerate
Clear
Abort
Increase pressure
Decrease pressure
Release
Stop
The maximum safe climb rate is about 300 FPM. If you are below this and flying slowly you command more pressure: "Increase pressure." If you are climbing too fast, command "Decrease pressure."
The best thing is to dump winch pressure on command of "release pressure" or for the driver to slow down gradually.
Finally, set the winch pressure upon the pilot's command and verify it by repeating the value once you have it set.
Proper winch pressures should vary with pilot weight, pilot skill, glider type and the gust factor present. Lighter or less able pilots take less pressure.
At the same time you are monitoring winch payout speed you should watch the pressure gauge to keep a constant towline pressure and make adjustments accordingly.
Standard signals are to move the legs forward and back as if you are running when you desire more speed (or pressure). Open the legs to command slow down (or reduce pressure) and wave to legs open and close to indicate an immediate stop.
STATIC LINE TOWING

With this system of towing a line is fixed between the pilot and tow vehicle. The total length of line laid out determines how high the pilot gets and how much runway is needed. This is perhaps the method of towing requiring the most care and expertise on the part of the operator, because it is more difficult to regulate tow pressure, but it is certainly the cheapest (no winch required). With new towing methods, i.e. center-of-mass towing and all the Skyting Criteria, static line towing incorporating a pressure gauge in the line, weak links and radio communications can be reasonably safe.

One big problem is the difficulty of regulating tow pressures in gusts. This is what caused lockouts in the past. The proper use of weak links reduces this problem.
STATIC WINCH TOWING

Very little is required besides the winch system which is sold as an entire unit on its own trailer. The winch must incorporate a reel, a pressure regulating system and an engine to pull the line in.
The pilot should back up to pull the towline tight and hold back pressure with a leg forward as in figure 10-28.
As you climb higher and approach the winch, you will feel more downward pressure on the bridle.
The reel drag can be carefully regulated to control tow pressure and thus help assure tow safety.
Whatever the tow vehicle, the tow system can be easily added for the cost of a towline and a pressure gauge.
Finally, the tow force is regulated by the skill of the driver who monitors the pressure gauge. With other forms of ground towing, the pressure is automatically regulated by the hydraulic or clutch systems.
Fortunately, we have good defenses against lockouts. These defenses include limiting the tow forces by using weak links and pressure gauges, proper distribution of the tow forces and proper training of pilots.
Structural failure under tow is a thing of the past due to our systems to limit the tow force (weak links and pressure gauges).
The lower you release, the greater the chance of canopy surge unless the tow operator releases the tow pressure.
Avoid releasing under high tow pressure or at a low tow angle except in an emergency.
The drop in tow pressure is typically caused by several factors.
An expert driver can anticipate the tow pressure changes and keep them to a minimum.
Towline ground drag reduces as line lifts. Total line pressure will drop if pressure is regulated by line speed as in static towing.
If the tow operator fails to anticipate the reduction in tow pressure and make the appropriate adjustment, the glider may settle back down, requiring the pilot to run.
As in the previous discussion covering foot launching, it is important to regulate pressure so a drop in the tow force doesn't occur. If the tow force does drop and the pilot settles, he or she has the additional problem of the dolly coasting below him or her (out of position, of course) with which to contend. Glider smashing accidents of this sort have occurred, so it behooves the tow operator to anticipate any change in towline pressure and regulate it accordingly.
Summary of Towline Pressures

Tow Phase
-Launch process
-Climbout
-Release and retrieval

Paraglider
Hang Glider and Ultralight Sailplane

Launch process

-Paraglider

--1. Take up slack (launch observer signals).

--2. Apply 5 to 15 lbs (2.5 to 7 kg) to keep line clear.

--3. Apply 75 to 100 lbs (35 to 45 kg) for liftoff (launch observer signals).

--4. Increase pressure as necessary to avoid dropping pilot as the line lifts.

-Hang Glider and Ultralight Sailplane

--1. Take up slack (launch observer signals).

--2. Apply adequate prelaunch tension (the pilot can control this tension by moving forward or back.

--3. Apply 100 to 150 lbs (45 to 68 kg) for hang glider liftoff (launch observer signals) and 100 to 150 lbs (45 to 68 kg) for ultralight sailplane liftoff.

--4. Increase pressure as necessary to compensate for pilot pulling in and reduction of towline ground drag.

Climbout

-Paraglider

--1. As glider climbs, maintain light tow pressures to above 100 ft (30 m).

--2. Gradually increase pressure if necessary to achieve target pressure 100 to 100 lbs (45 to 54 kg). Normally pressure must increase to make up for increasing steepness of the towline. On windy days, even with increased pressure, the effect of the gradient will slow the glider, so the towline pull should be slowed.

--3. Be prepared to adjust tow pressure up or down upon receiving a signal from the pilot.

--4. Relieve all pressure and/or cut the towline in an emergency.

--1. As glider climbs, gradually increase pressure to reach the target pressure (120 to 150 lbs or 55 to 68 kg for hang gliders, 250 to 300 lbs or 113 to 136 kg for ultralight sailplanes).

--2. Normally pressure must increase to make up for increasing steepness of the towline. On windy days, even with increased pressure the effect of the gradient will slow the glider so the towline pull should be slowed.

--3. Be prepared to adjust tow pressure up or down upon receiving a signal from the pilot.

--4. Relieve all pressure and/or cut the towline in an emergency.

Release and retrieval

-Paraglider

--1. When the pilot signals or you reach the predetermined tow termination point, back off pressure for release.

--2. Once the pilot has released, reel in the towline with the expedient pressure.

--1. When the pilot signals or you reach the predetermined tow termination point, back off pressure for release.

--2. Once the pilot has released, reel in the towline with the expedient pressure.
The most common emergency that occurs when towing paragliders is a lockout. Other emergencies include continuous application of too much brakes, collapse under tow, and release failure. In the first three cases, the cure is the same: reduce tow pressure to let the glider regain normal flying status.
The two main hang glider problems encountered with surface towing are lockouts and failure to release (dropping a wing or the glider nose are dealt with during the launch discussion). The tow crew procedures for dealing with lockouts is the same no matter where or how the lockout occurs. It is: IMMEDIATELY reduce all tow pressure.
If a pilot is suddenly rolled by turbulence, your immediate reaction should be to dump tow pressure.
Tow pressures cannot be accurately controlled without consistent brake friction.
"The whole key to staying in position is line pressure. Keep a constant pressure and you will have a steady tow. The faster pressure builds up, the faster you must pull in to relieve it."

-- Larry Huffman
Aerotow pioneer
With a two-point bridle, the pull on your shoulders is reduced so the pressure changes are subtle.
Correcting Vertical Position Under Tow

1. It is primarily the hang glider pilot's responsibility to remain in the correct position in relation to the tug. To do this, concentrate on the tug and maintain the proper relation to the horizon. Also feel the tow pressure and anticipate the changes.

2. If you are too high or the pressure increases, pull in rapidly to dive. Stop the dive before you reach the ideal position by easing the bar out. Anticipate the possibility of overshooting; meet the tug at the horizon.

3. If you are too low or the pressure decreases, let the bar out and anticipate the overshooting effect by pulling back in before you reach the ideal position. When you let the bar out to climb, it will be much further forward with a two-point bridle than in free flight. You will then often find the glider doesn't react right away, especially if you are in the downwash. Be patient and maintain minimum controllable flying speed for roll corrections.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

We especially thank Gerard Thevenot for teaching us to aerotow...
In any case, remember: aerotowing requires a much lighter weak link than surface towing.
The weak link at the pilot's end should break at 75 to 80% of the combined pilot and glider weight.
Rob Kells - 1985/09

Chris was telling me at breakfast that morning that Thevenot, when towing at the factory, doesn't use a weak link.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

A weak link is a very simple device--typically a loop of line--that is intended to break in the event towline tensions exceed a safe or desired threshold. Weak links have greatly improved the safety of towing over the years.
Next to a low stall and line break due to a gust, the event most likely to maim on tow is a lockout.
Stalls usually aren't apparent while on the towline for they quickly become lockouts. However, during a weak link break or unexpected release when a low stall can occur because the attitude is way too high for a non-towing situation. The worst possible situation is when a break occurs right after launch. If you are very close to the ground, there may not be room to even pull in so you'll have to parachute the glider down the few remaining feet.
If you find yourself breaking weak links repeatedly, try using lighter tow forces initially.
If the weak link breaks at the tug, the towline will quickly fly behind you and you should either release it at your end or pull it in so you can drop it on the airstrip. Always check for the towline after you release.
In addition, as we shall see in later chapters, a paraglider can be towed too fast or with too much force so that the pilot is well in front of the canopy. In such a situation, there is a great danger of canopy surge and collapse if the weak link breaks. If such an event happens close to the ground, the results could be disastrous.
Finally, be aware that a low separation from the tow line is more of an emergency with an ultralight sailplane than a hang glider or paraglider because of landing area requirements.
Weak links often break near the beginning of a tow, when the glider is still low and the resulting release is typically uncomfortable for the pilot.
A good friend of ours, Michael Robertson, the inventor of the High Perspective training wheels you see on virtually every student training glider, was blinded in one eye by a ring on the end of a tow rope. Michael was simply observing the operation from the front of the boat when the weak link broke during the platform launch.

Some years back, I suffered a weak link break and the ring snapped back and struck my glasses dead center in the left lens. It didn't break, but it was knocked out of the frames. I caught it before it dropped but then had to land with 20/20 vision in one eye and blurred vision in the other. I am very happy I can still see.
Considering the attitude of the towed gliders in figure 4-5, what would happen if the tow rope broke and the tow force instantly disappeared? Notice the position of the paraglider pilot relative to the wing. He will swing back and the canopy can surge forward dramatically. What could happen if he is close to the ground? Look at the hang glider and ultralight sailplane, what could happen to them?

Clearly, sudden loss of tow force can result in stalls due to the high attitudes and for paragliders, surging, pendulumming and potentially even frontal collapse can occur. At low altitudes such an event could be devastating. Proper launch techniques, lower tow forces while close to the ground, and good equipment are all required to tow safely and mitigate the potential consequences for a loss of tow forces.
Flying at a speed similar to best glide provides more margin for corrective action and avoids a low altitude stall should the weak link break or the release prematurely disengage.
As you become more experienced and tow in a wider variety of weather related conditions, you'll probably want to increase your launch speed to approximately 30 mph or moderately more. The increased airspeed improves your ability to manage gusts and crosswinds. It also provides more time and room to land if the weak link breaks or the release disengages. However, higher release airspeeds will exaggerate poor technique and make launches more violent as well as increase the potential for weak link breaks or even mild whip stalls after launch.
If the weak link breaks or release disengages with the pilot well forward of the canopy, the glider will surge forward more violently.
The dangers of releasing or breaking a weak link and surging due to high forces when you are low should be apparent.
With a reel-in or payout winch, the operator must be very careful to avoid towing the paraglider too fast as this action will pull the pilot in front of the canopy (see next chapter). The result will be too high an angle of attack, which in turn causes loads on the canopy to rise and increase the risk of lockout or canopy collapse if the weak link breaks.
If the weak link breaks or you release under high tension, especially when towing low, the canopy will surge more violently.
Obstacles upwind can create turbulence. This may interfere with safe launching or landing if the release disengages or weak link breaks before enough altitude has been achieved to reach a clear area.
As discussed earlier in this chapter, a paraglider pilot should use as little brake as possible to minimize a forward surge should the release disengage or weak link break. Similarly, if these events occur to hang glider pilot, he or she will more likely stall before lowering the attitude of the glider.
As the towline wears from abrasion and UV exposure, its breaking strength diminishes. Typically pilots continue using a line until it begins to break on a regular basis at normal tow tensions. Given the general tendency by pilots to save money, it is probable that you will experience a line failure during a towing career.

The use of lighter tensions until some altitude has been achieved greatly reduces the probability of this occurring immediately after launch. The event is similar to a weak link break or release disengagement. Recover as you would with those occurrences.
The more serious tension control failure is when the tow force climbs beyond normal or desired levels. You will find yourself climbing like a rocket ship and it is very unnerving. If the glider is in line with the tow force and flying straight and level, just stay with it and radio the tow crew to reduce tension. Pulling in aggressively on a hang glider or pushing the speed bar on a paraglider is wise. The weak link may likely fail at any moment and having the extra speed can reduce the high potential of a stall or surge when it lets go. It is generally not wise to release unless the glider begins to turn or bank away from the line. The longer you hang on the more altitude you gain which affords a greater safety margin as well.

If the glider begins to bank away from the line, attempt to bring it back. If it is too difficult or you start oscillating, then release. You will probably already have a hundred or more feet below you and can recover from the likely stall or surge.
If the spectacle of their launches and climbouts remind you of the Space Shuttle, be equally wary. A weak link break or slight roll during nose release can be traumatic and damaging to people and things.
Tow forces required to get the glider and pilot moving through the water and up were rather high, potentially beyond the breaking point of the weak link.
When gliders are returning and landing on solid ground, do not be tempted to avoid the use of appropriate flotation. A weak link break or premature release could easily precipitate a landing in the drink.
Momentary variances of 30 to 40 pounds are certainly noticeable to the pilot but are generally not a problem at all. However, definitely avoid variances which increase the tension excessively and may break the weak link.
While aerotowing, the weak links break most often when the launch begins on a dolly or during a lockout or turbulence.
In the case of lockouts or turbulence, the weak link breaks as designed and should not be increased in strength.
Inadvertent weak link breaks slow a group operation down and may compromise safety if they happen critically low.
So what else you assholes got to "greatly improved the safety of towing" by taking the decision making process away from the guy who's ass is on the line and handing it to some brainless, ten miles south of useless little scrap of junk?

Oh yeah...

It's more of this crappy argument that being on tow is somehow safer than being off tow.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

In general, a little experimentation lets you find a system that provides the safety margin your life depends on, but doesn't break needlessly.
Why do we need to experiment? I'm pretty sure we have enough data right here in your scholarly publications and off of the web.
Now let's see, what are we trying to accomplish with a weak link?
The most popular weak link is the readily available 205 leech line.
It must be popular.

http://www.chgpa.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3600
Weak link question
Jim Rooney - 2008/11/24 05:18:15 UTC

I've personally refused to tow a flight park owner over this very issue. I didn't want to clash, but I wasn't towing him. Yup, he wanted to tow with a doubled up weaklink. He eventually towed (behind me) with a single and sorry to disappoint any drama mongers, we're still friends. And lone gun crazy Rooney? Ten other tow pilots turned him down that day for the same reason.
weak links
Jim Rooney - 2007/07/22 22:30:28 UTC

I've heard it a million times before from comp pilots insisting on towing with even doubled up weaklinks (some want no weaklink). I tell them the same thing I'm telling you... suck it up. You're not the only one on the line. I didn't ask to be a test pilot. I can live with your inconvenience.
http://ozreport.com/12.081
Weaklinks - the HGFA rules
Davis Straub - 2008/04/22 14:47:00 UTC

Here is the requirement from the 2007 Worlds local rules (which I wrote) for weaklinks:
Pilots must use weaklinks provided by the meet organizers and in a manner approved by the meet organizers. All weaklinks will be checked and use of inappropriate weaklinks will require the pilot to go to the end of the launch line to change the weaklink.

Weaklinks will consist of a single loop of Cortland 130 lb Greenspot braided Dacron Tolling line and should be placed at one end of a shoulder bridle.
At the 2008 Forbes Flatlands Greenspot for the first time was used as the standard weaklink material (thanks in large part to the efforts of Bobby Bailey). We applaud these efforts to improve the safety of aerotowing by using a better weaklink material.
Most importantly, it must be popular with the shitheads who drive the tugs and control the competitions. Screw what a million comp pilots want. Since when do THEY get to make decisions about when to stay on and get off tow?

130 pound Greenspot wins the popularity contest hands down. That translates to 260 pounds one point or 226 two. 1.30 Gs for a 200 pound one pointer or 0.75 Gs for a 350 pound two pointer. Yeah, I know that makes no sense whatsoever. But the category is popularity - so what are you gonna do?
The ideal breaking strength of a weak link is from 100% to 120% of the total flying weight.
We want the breaking strength to be ideal.
The weak link at the pilot's end should break at 75 to 80% of the combined pilot and glider weight.
And we want it about 32.5 percent more ideal for aero than for surface.
For aerotowing operations, a weak link breaking strength equal to 80 to 100% of the total flying weight--the weight of the pilot and glider--is a reasonable starting point.
But we probably wanna make aero 12.5 percent less ideal once every five years or so.
One big problem is the difficulty of regulating tow pressures in gusts. This is what caused lockouts in the past. The proper use of weak links reduces this problem.
For static towing we want the weak link to regulate tow pressures in gusts 'cause if we get gusted the pressure's gonna go up and we're ALMOST CERTAIN to lock out and die. So how 'bout fifteen percent? So if normal tow pressure is 130 psi the weak link should blow at 150 psi? Sound good?
Structural failure under tow is a thing of the past due to our systems to limit the tow force (weak links and pressure gauges).
Structural failure? Do we really wanna be using weak links to be protecting against structural failure? That sounds SO sailplane. And sailplanes are such different beasts - they use releases that work and the glider doesn't roll completely out of control while you're trying to get to the lever. Oh well, six G gliders - 1.2 G weak links? Think that'll do it? I'd think that you COULD go a bit higher but 1.2 is the top figure I can find in Towing Aloft so we better not push our luck. We sure don't wanna bring back structural failure - or the bamboo and duct tape gliders that were structurally failing.
A weak link is a very simple device--typically a loop of line--that is intended to break in the event towline tensions exceed a safe or desired threshold.
DUDE! Who could POSSIBLY argue against safe or desired thresholds!
So all we gotta do is determine a safe threshold and then we'll know what to desire!
And Steve Elliot got killed on aero at what was probably 125 pounds so it's pretty clear that we should probably go down to 110.
Also keep in mind that it is better to break weak links than bones.
Of course in some circles broken bones are ALSO considered symptoms of unsafe thresholds so we better knock it down to a hundred.
Weak links very clearly will provide protection from excessive angles of attack, high bank turns and the like for this form of towing.
Well yeah, OF COURSE we CLEARLY need a weak link to provide protection from excessive angles of attack, high bank turns, and the like for fixed line length towing...
Bill Bryden - 2000/02

Dennis Pagen - 2005/01

I rocketed up well above the tug, while the very experienced tug pilot, Neal Harris, said he was also lifted more than he had ever been in his heavy trike. I pulled in all the way, but could see that I wasn't going to come down unless something changed. I hung on and resisted the tendency to roll to the side with as strong a roll input as I could, given that the bar was at my knees. I didn't want to release, because I was so close to the ground and I knew that the glider would be in a compromised attitude. In addition, there were hangars and trees on the left, which is the way the glider was tending.
...even when such protection is likely to kill us three seconds after it kicks in. You'd think that as popular as this 130 pound Greenspot is it would do the trick but it just doesn't seem all that reliable - probably need to go way lighter.
Caution: For tension controlled towing, a weak link cannot be counted on to break during a lockout, high bank angle, high angle of attack, etc.
A weak link that breaks between 100 to 120 percent of the total flying system weight is generally recommended.
This just seems so backwards to me. The highly popular and recommended 0.8 to 1.0 aerotow weak links are obviously WAY too strong to serve the primary purposes of providing protection from excessive angles of attack, high bank turns, and the like...
...and 1.0 to 1.2 is so nonfunctional in tension controlled towing that those systems essentially have no focal point whatsoever.

I'm thinking we should go 0.6 to 0.8 for aero and 0.4 to 0.6 for payout.

But then we've got this sort of problem...
If you find yourself breaking weak links repeatedly, try using lighter tow forces initially. Remember, the glider and reel have inertia that is lowered once they start moving.
and...
With a tension controlled tow, weak links might break but more regularly will not. The reason should be obvious: a good control system will attempt to maintain a constant tension and not allow forces to climb high enough to break the weak link.
Maybe we should use bad control systems which do crappy jobs of maintaining constant tensions and thus will maybe spin with hardly any resistance at launch and lock up during lockouts so that forces to climb high enough to break the weak link.
A weak link is required that will not break needlessly in response to moderate thermals, or pilot inputs...
WHOA! We DON'T want weak links which break needlessly in response to moderate thermals or pilot inputs? That can't be right. That goes against EVERYTHING 130 pound Greenspot and our fine flight park operators, tug drivers, instructors, and competition organizers stand for.

http://vimeo.com/17472550

password - red
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7258/13851486814_77efdf1004_o.png

This is most confusing.

Well, as long as they blow in REALLY GOOD thermals I guess we can maybe tolerate them holding in moderate thermals. Definitely don't want them holding in the good stuff. Who knows what could happen? Hypothermia, hypoxia, thermals crowded with swirling, midair-prone gliders, people leaving the airport and getting lost hundreds of miles downwind... Creeps me out just thinking about it.

But...
Soon after lift-off the trike tug and I were hit by the mother of all thermals. Since I was much lighter, I rocketed up well above the tug, while the very experienced tug pilot, Neal Harris, said he was also lifted more than he had ever been in his heavy trike. I pulled in all the way, but could see that I wasn't going to come down unless something changed. I hung on and resisted the tendency to roll to the side with as strong a roll input as I could, given that the bar was at my knees. I didn't want to release, because I was so close to the ground and I knew that the glider would be in a compromised attitude.
...are you ABSOLUTELY POSITIVE that it's a really great idea to have weak links blowing in response to really good thermals?
...yet will break at a low enough point to avoid disaster or excessive pilot panic.
OK, we DEFINITELY gotta keep the weak links under half a G. Non negotiable.
For aerotowing operations, a weak link breaking strength equal to 80 to 100 percent of the total flying weight--the weight of the pilot and glider--is a reasonable starting point.
I don't think so. Didn't we JUST establish that half a G is plenty enough lock out and kill pilots? And it's almost a no brainer that excessive pilot panic was involved in at least one of those. WAY too high dudes.
For surface based towing, there is a debate on the recommended breaking strength for weak links.
I simply can't understand why there should be.

- If there's a RECOMMENDED breaking strength why would anyone but a total moron debate the issue?
By the late 1980s, all the current towing systems--aerotowing, reel-in winch, and static line--were essentially perfected.
- All of these systems were PERFECTED a decade ago. Why would ANYONE question or mess with perfection?
Since almost all modern surface based towing (static line, payout winch, and stationary winch) are tension controlled systems, the weak link selection is partially dependent upon the towline tensions used.
Well yeah. OBVIOUSLY. Let's do the math.

The RECOMMENDED weak link strength range for surface towing is 1.0 to 1.2 Gs and, obviously, the weak link at the top end is twenty percent more likely to lock you out and kill you than the one at the bottom.

And we all know that it's safe to assume that pretty much all gliders fly at 250 pounds. So 250 pounds for a safe weak link and 300 for a dangerous one.

If we set the:
- tow tension - sorry - PRESSURE to a nice safe 125 pounds we should use a nice safe 250 pound weak link
- pressure to a dangerous 150 pounds we should also use a dangerous 300 pound weak link

It would make no sense whatsoever to use a dangerous pressure with a safe weak link or vice versa.

150 pounds pressure and a 250 pound weak link on a tension controlled system? Totally wacko. If you start out with a higher pressure you need to max out at a higher pressure. You just do. Should be obvious.
In any case, remember: aerotowing requires a much lighter weak link than surface towing. Also, most ultralight sailplanes use a direct hookup (without a bridle), so all the towline force will be taken by the weak link. Finally, be aware that a low separation from the tow line is more of an emergency with an ultralight sailplane than a hang glider or paraglider because of landing area requirements. Thus, more care should be given to weak link selection so as to minimize premature breaks, and still maintain a low upper breaking limit.
OK, gotta take all this into consideration to reach our magic number.

- Aerotowing REQUIRES a much lighter weak link than surface towing. It's in the book so we've got that restriction. And it just makes perfect sense. Everybody knows that the danger for an aerotowed glider rolled away from a tug at 0.9 Gs is comparable to that for a static towed glider rolled away from a truck at 1.1 Gs. These gliders remember the tension they had when they were under control and are thus better able to cope with the extreme when it hits.

- But we wanna minimize premature breaks - so we want a heavy weak link.

- And we also wanna maintain a low upper breaking limit - so we want our heavy weak link to be light as well.

Lemme feed this into the spreadsheet. No, that might crash the computer. Maybe we could get a schematic of this thing. Too bad M.C. Escher ain't around no more.
Caution: For aerotowing tandem, weak links SHOULD BE LIGHTER than for surface towing tandem.
80 percent or less for tandem.
And we need to use lighter weak links for tandems because they're more likely to lock out and completely invulnerable to whipstalling if they blow something. So we can go as low as we want and thereby make things as safe as we want.
Weak links often break near the beginning of a tow, when the glider is still low and the resulting release is typically uncomfortable for the pilot.
Too heavy a weak link - you're automatically gonna lock out and die. Too light and the worst you can experience is discomfort. Don't gotta be a rocket scientist to know how this information is gonna influence the equation.
"It is infinitely better to have a weak link break too soon rather than too late."
-- Towing Proverb
Especially if it's in the Proverbs. I'll bet if we checked the Book of Revelation we could get some really good guidance on this. Maybe Leviticus if that doesn't pan out.
A good friend of ours, Michael Robertson, the inventor of the High Perspective training wheels you see on virtually every student training glider, was blinded in one eye by a ring on the end of a tow rope. Michael was simply observing the operation from the front of the boat when the weak link broke during the platform launch.
And we don't wanna have something like that happen again. So we should use much lighter weak links so when they blow the polypro isn't storing as much energy. Wish we knew how many pounds were involved in that one.
You want to have plenty of airspeed to help carry you away from the dolly should a premature release or weak link break occur just after launching.
I dunno... Maybe we should jack it back up a little.
Flying at a speed similar to best glide provides more margin for corrective action and avoids a low altitude stall should the weak link break...
Yeah, jack it back up a bit. Getting run over by the cart and and low altitude stalls are only minor annoyances, but still...
The increased airspeed improves your ability to manage gusts and crosswinds. It also provides more time and room to land if the weak link breaks or the release disengages. However, higher release airspeeds will exaggerate poor technique and make launches more violent as well as increase the potential for weak link breaks or even mild whip stalls after launch.
Well, as long as they're just MILD whipstalls... And we probably don't hafta even worry about those if we keep the glider low, slow, and safe for a little while coming off the truck or cart. Let's bump it back down to something safer.
If the weak link breaks or release disengages with the pilot well forward of the canopy, the glider will surge forward more violently.
No! Up! Up! Up!
The result will be too high an angle of attack, which in turn causes loads on the canopy to rise and increase the risk of lockout or canopy collapse if the weak link breaks.
Up!
Obstacles upwind can create turbulence. This may interfere with safe launching or landing if the release disengages or weak link breaks before enough altitude has been achieved to reach a clear area.
Up!
The weak link may likely fail at any moment and having the extra speed can reduce the high potential of a stall or surge when it lets go.
Up!
A weak link break or slight roll during nose release can be traumatic and damaging to people and things. There are many schools of thought about launch tensions, speeds and techniques.
Up!
Tow forces required to get the glider and pilot moving through the water and up were rather high, potentially beyond the breaking point of the weak link.
Up!
When gliders are returning and landing on solid ground, do not be tempted to avoid the use of appropriate flotation. A weak link break or premature release could easily precipitate a landing in the drink.
Up!
However, definitely avoid variances which increase the tension excessively and may break the weak link.
Up!
A weak link is an integral part of any towing system in order to prevent overloading and lockouts.
Down!
A weak link is a fuse that protects the equipment--your body!--on an overloaded circuit.
Down!
While aerotowing, the weak links break most often when the launch begins on a dolly or during a lockout or turbulence.
Ooh... Tough one. Up for the beginning of launch, down for a lockout, and down for turbulence. We DEFINITELY don't want gliders staying on tow in turbulence.

http://ozreport.com/13.238
Adam Parer on his tuck and tumble
Adam Parer - 2009/11/25

Due to the rough conditions weak links were breaking just about every other tow and the two tugs worked hard to eventually get everyone off the ground successfully.
Not for long anyway. It's OK if you blow the weak link every other tow and hafta recover, land, and relaunch in turbulence. MUCH safer that way.
Inadvertent weak link breaks slow a group operation down...
Up.
...and may compromise safety if they happen critically low.
Up.
Always use a weak link when towing--WEAK LINKS SAVE LIVES.
DOWN!!! FOR THE LOVE OF GOD - DOWN!!!!!
It is much better to be free of the line and dealing with a slipping, diving, or winging over glider than a lockout. Of course, your weak link should break before the lockout becomes too severe, but that assumes a properly applied weak link.
Down.
On a tow in New York, a new tow pilot got way to one side and began to lock out. The tug pilot didn't release and the glider pilot didn't react. The lockout proceeded very rapidly and went to the side so fast that the towline hooked on the trike wing. Both the trike and hang glider pilots were in danger of a serious accident when the weak link broke.
Down.
In that same year, with that same tug pilot, I was aerotowing on a turbulent day. At about 120 feet we were hit by something nasty that left the towline slack and me sitting well above and way to the right of the tug. I remember looking at it from the side.
WAY down.
Weak links are an essential part of the safe towing formula.
Downer and safer.
In general, a little experimentation lets you find a system that provides the safety margin your life depends on, but doesn't break needlessly.
Dude! I'm totally brickwalled by this.

120 to 130 pounds will CERTAINLY kill me in a lockout but the Dragonfly tows me at 125. And it takes about 170 just to get me started rolling on the cart.

A weak link is REQUIRED that will not break needlessly in response to moderate thermals or pilot inputs but the ever popular 130 pound Greenspot blows in glassy smooth air straight and level behind the tug.

And then there's THIS problem:
A weak link is required that will not break needlessly in response to moderate thermals...
We REQUIRE it to NOT break needlessly in response to moderate thermals but are DESIGNING it TO break in turbulence.
Whoa! Tough orders everywhere you look! Maybe Watson can come up with something.
We especially thank Gerard Thevenot for teaching us to aerotow, Wallaby Ranch for refining our skills and Raven Hang Gliding for their helpful input. We also owe a debt of gratitude to Wayne Sayer, the Wallaby Ranch, and Raven Hang Gliding for proofreading the manuscript.

Individuals such as Donnell Hewett, Dave Broyles, Lars Linde, Mike Robertson, Brad Kushner, Malcolm Jones, David Glover, Greg McNamee, Jan Alda, Alan Chuculate and Bill Moyes have also offered specific information either through their writing or by personal communication.
How is it that you calculate group intelligence? Take the IQ of the stupidest person in the group - in this case, Bryden - and divide by the number of people in the group - maybe about twenty? I'm thinking deep into single digits.

Here's an idea...
Tost Flugzeuggerätebau

Weak links protect your aircraft against overloading.
http://www.dynamicflight.com.au/WeakLinks.html
Dynamic Flight - 2005

The purpose of a weak link is solely to prevent the tow force from increasing to a point that the glider can be stressed close to or beyond its structural limits. Lockouts can and do occur without increasing tow tension up until the point where the glider is radically diverging from the direction of tow. At this point tension rises dramatically and something will give - preferably the weak link. Given that a certified glider will take 6 to 10 Gs positive a 1.5 G weak link as opposed to a standard 1 G weak link should not significantly increase the risk of structural failure. It will however significantly decrease the probability of an unwanted weak link break.
How 'bout instead of listening to the lunatic rantings of you fuckin' whack jobs we go with people who actually make sense?

How 'bout we use a goddam one and a half G weak link to keep the glider from getting overloaded and our hands and a release on the basetube to control it and protect against lockouts and stalls?

P.S. Do you assholes actually believe the crap you print in these books or do you just figure you can sell them for more if they weigh more?
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

Stalls usually aren't apparent while on the towline for they quickly become lockouts. However, during a weak link break or unexpected release when a low stall can occur because the attitude is way too high for a non-towing situation. The worst possible situation is when a break occurs right after launch. This can be a non-problem if the pilot instantly recognizes the need to pull in for speed as soon as the break occurs and before the kinetic energy of the glider dissipates.

If you wait too long the consequence is a severe stall near the ground, the ogre that haunts all pilot's dreams. If you are very close to the ground, there may not be room to even pull in so you'll have to parachute the glider down the few remaining feet. Again, the best way to prevent dangerous stalls is to use lighter tow forces for the first hundred feet.
If you find yourself breaking weak links repeatedly, try using lighter tow forces initially. Remember, the glider and reel have inertia that is lowered once they start moving.
Paragliders have less total weight than hang gliders, so it is logical that their weak link breaking strengths should be lighter. In addition, as we shall see in later chapters, a paraglider can be towed too fast or with too much force so that the pilot is well in front of the canopy. In such a situation, there is a great danger of canopy surge and collapse if the weak link breaks. If such an event happens close to the ground, the results could be disastrous. The only defense in this case is to use less tow force and a weak link that will break BEFORE the tow force gets too great. Thus, we recommend a weak link that is 75% or less of the total weight of pilot and glider.
Considering the attitude of the towed gliders in figure 4-5, what would happen if the tow rope broke and the tow force instantly disappeared? Notice the position of the paraglider pilot relative to the wing. He will swing back and the canopy can surge forward dramatically. What could happen if he is close to the ground? Look at the hang glider and ultralight sailplane, what could happen to them?

Clearly, sudden loss of tow force can result in stalls due to the high attitudes and for paragliders, surging, pendulumming and potentially even frontal collapse can occur. At low altitudes such an event could be devastating. Proper launch techniques, lower tow forces while close to the ground, and good equipment are all required to tow safely and mitigate the potential consequences for a loss of tow forces.
In addition, the tensions should still be kept low for the launch and increased only after sufficient altitude is achieved (at least 100 feet). The dangers of releasing or breaking a weak link and surging due to high forces when you are low should be apparent. Remember: THERE IS SAFETY IN ALTITUDE. The converse of this rule means the greatest risk occurs near the ground, so tow GENTLY when down low.
With a paraglider, the problem isn't so much maximizing climbout as it is avoiding over-climbing. With a reel-in or payout winch, the operator must be very careful to avoid towing the paraglider too fast as this action will pull the pilot in front of the canopy (see next chapter). The result will be too high an angle of attack, which in turn causes loads on the canopy to rise and increase the risk of lockout or canopy collapse if the weak link breaks.
As the towline wears from abrasion and UV exposure, its breaking strength diminishes. Typically pilots continue using a line until it begins to break on a regular basis at normal tow tensions. Given the general tendency by pilots to save money, it is probable that you will experience a line failure during a towing career.

The use of lighter tensions until some altitude has been achieved greatly reduces the probability of this occurring immediately after launch. The event is similar to a weak link break or release disengagement. Recover as you would with those occurrences. However, you will likely still have a length of line connected to your release.
Yeah kids, reduce your thrust, airspeed, rate of climb and float around in the kill zone a little longer so you can keep your weak link safe. And it's IMPERATIVE that you keep your weak link safe because that's just about the ONLY thing keeping YOU safe. Always remember:
It's not like in free flying in which airspeed, responsiveness, control authority, climb rate are the things keeping you safe.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/hhpa/message/11094
Question
Bobb Loper - 2010/09/12 22:10

In an open space like a runway, a gentle release with gentle climb at origin may be desirable, but there are other conditions where a rapid climb out of trouble may be best. At the Brookshire location, the narrow road was bordered on each side by a bar ditch with a barbed wire fence and in some cases, mesquite trees next to the fence. A gentle launch in a cross wind meant a longer time in the danger zone. If a glider is launched at a higher speed a broken safety link would still allow the glider to pop up high enough to clear the obstructions and land in the open field behind the trees.
And pay no attention to what people actually DOING this stuff are finding out. It's CRUCIAL that do exactly what it says in Towing Aloft. And hey, if that doesn't seem to make any sense or is obviously certifiably insane, just flip a page or two.
Next to a low stall and line break due to a gust, the event most likely to maim on tow is a lockout.
It seldom takes very long to find a flat out contradiction that you might be able to use for a little latitude in your game plan.