2015/03/27 Jean Lake crash

General discussion about the sport of hang gliding
Tad Eareckson

Re: 2015/03/27 Jean Lake crash

Post by Tad Eareckson »

This accident demonstrates a "perfect storm" of multiple factors where the elimination of any one or two of them might have prevented the fatal result.
Yeah? Name some that DON'T. You have any idea just how long it took us to have things right enough to kill a pro toad with a standard aerotow weak link?
Although tandem hang gliding fatalities are exceptionally rare...
Yeah...

- Just like...

http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=16384
Tow Release Malfunction
Jim Rooney - 2010/03/26 20:54:43 UTC

Bent pin releases are indeed very very reliable. But 100%? Nope. It's exceptionally rare, but they jam. All mechanical things do.
...jams of the very very reliable bent pin release.

- So how...

http://ozreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=25321
Stop the Stupids at the USHPA BOD meeting
Mark G. Forbes - 2011/09/30 23:21:56 UTC

Here's how it really works:

- Member submits an accident report. Could be the pilot who had the accident, or some other witness.

- Accident report is sent to Tim to maintain legal privilege. Tim reviews the report and determines whether there's significant legal risk associated with it. He may redact certain parts (personally identifiable information, etc.) if in his opinion exposure of that information poses a risk to us. If the report is very risky, he may decide that it can't be shared further, and will notify the ED about it. He may also notify our insurers if he sees a potential for a claim, as is normal practice for any incident where we are aware of such a potential.

- Redacted report goes to the accident review chairs, for incorporation into periodic articles in the magazine. Articles focus on root causes of accidents, not on personal narratives or details.

The whole procedure is outlined in SOP 03-16, which you can read by logging into the USHPA website and clicking on "Policy Manual".
...would anyone but Tim Herr really know?
...the rarity of such events should not give you any comfort.
It doesn't. I have fuckin' FIELD DAYS with fatal tandems. I DESPISE the tandem thrill ride industry, most of the tandem thrill ride drivers are total douchebags, and they force you u$hPa pigfuckers to go on the record with moronic crap like this.
Instead, you should review your own tandem and towing operational practices to see where you can take steps to decrease the inherent risks.
Well I don't do tandem and for aerotowing we've got Jim Keen-Intellect Rooney...

http://ozreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=31052
Poll on weaklinks
Jim Rooney - 2013/02/16 05:05:41 UTC

Ok, keyboard in hand.
I've got a bit of time, but I'm not going to write a dissertation... so either choose to try to understand what I'm saying, or (as is most often the case) don't.
I don't care.

Here's a little bit of bitter reality that ya'll get to understand straight off. I won't be sugar coating it, sorry.
You see, I'm on the other end of that rope.
I want neither a dead pilot on my hands or one trying to kill me.
And yes. It is my call. PERIOD.
On tow, I am the PIC.

Now, that cuts hard against every fiber of every HG pilot on the planet and I get that.
Absolutely no HG pilot likes hearing it. Not me, not no one. BUT... sorry, that's the way it is.
Accept it and move on.
Not only can you not change it, it's the law... in the very literal sense.

So, you're quite right in your thinking in your example. The person you have to convince is me (or whoever your tuggie is).
I've had this conversation with many people.
We've had various outcomes.
I can tell you what my general ideas and rules are, but you do not need to agree with them nor do you get to dictate anything to me... if I'm not happy, you ain't getting towed by me. Why I'm not happy doesn't matter. It's my call, and if I'm having so much as a bad hair day, then tough. You can go get someone else. I won't be offended. Each tuggie is different, and I've had someone ask me to tow them with some stuff that I wasn't happy with and I told him point blank... go ask the other guy, maybe he'll do it.

I can tell you that for me, you're going to have a hell of a time convincing me to tow you with *anything* home-made.
"But I love my mouth release! It's super-delux-safe"... that's great, but guess what?

I've towed at places that use different weak links than greenspot. They're usually some other form of fishing line. Up in Nelson (New Zealand), they don't have greenspot, so they found a similar weight fishing line. They replace their link every single tow btw... every one, without question or exception... that's just what the owner wants and demands. Fine by me. If it wasn't, then I wouldn't tow for them and I wouldn't be towed by them. That's his place and he gets to make that call. Pretty simple.

Up at Morningside, they're using that new orange weaklink. It's a bit stronger and it has to be sewn or glued so it doesn't slip when unloaded.

If you're within the FAA specs and you're using something manufactured, then you're going to have a far better time convincing me to tow you.
My general rule is "no funky shit". I don't like people reinventing the wheel and I don't like test pilots. Have I towed a few test pilots? Yup. Have I towed them in anything but very controlled conditions? Nope. It's a damn high bar. I've told more to piss off than I've told yes. I'll give you an example... I towed a guy with the early version of the new Lookout release. But the Tad-o-link? Nope.

So I hope that sheds some light on the situation.
But again, every tuggie's different and every situation is different.
What doesn't change however is that it's my call, not yours.
And it's my job to be the "bad guy" sometimes.
Sorry. It's just the way it is.
http://ozreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=31052
Poll on weaklinks
Jim Rooney - 2013/03/05 21:40:02 UTC

I'm not saying that you've claimed that a stronger weaklink allows for a greater AOA... I'm telling you that it does.
You know this.
I'll spell it out anyway...
Increases in AOA increase the load factor... push it beyond what the weaklink can stand and *POP*, you're off tow.
Increase the load factor that the weaklink can withstand and you increase the achievable AOA.

This ain't truck towing. There is no pressure limiting mechanism. Push out and you load the line. Push out hard and you'll break the weaklink... that's the whole idea.

You want to break off the towline? Push out... push out hard... it will break.
As others have pointed out, they've used this fact intentionally to get off tow. It works.

You want MORE.
I want you to have less.
This is the fundamental disagreement.
You're afraid of breaking off with a high AOA? Good... tow with a WEAKER weaklink... you won't be able to achieve a high AOA. Problem solved.

I'm sorry that you don't like that the tug pilot has the last word... but tough titties.
Don't like it?
Don't ask me to tow you.

Go troll somewhere else buddy.
I'm over this.
...to review our towing operational practices to see where we can take steps to decrease the inherent risks and make most of our other decisions for us - speaking of tandem thrill ride total douchebags I'd really enjoy seeing splattered all over runways.
You are encouraged to re-read the excellent article by Mike Meier, "Why Can't We Get a Handle On This Safety Thing?" (http://www.willswing.com/why-cant-we-get-a-handle-on-this-safety-thing/ ).
Really? I'd like to read his advisory on those Wills Wing Finsterwalder wheel extensions that ate the bridle and guaranteed that the glider stayed locked out and the two-string release stayed jammed on this one.
Although published in 1998, the risk mitigation analyses and approaches in the article are timeless and still applicable.
Yeah, no shit. Ya do stupid shit all the time ya can expect to have more crashes. I never get tired of reading that one. Really makes me focus on my flare timing.
Additionally, the technical information in "Towing Aloft" by Dennis Pagen and Bill Bryden is an excellent and complete reference on towing equipment and procedures.
Oh, it's the best. I've got a whole topic dedicated to it over here. Forty-four posts, reading over fifteen thousand hits at present. Same year as Mike's article. Surges of excellence we're unlikely to see surpassed in our lifetimes - 'specially if we focus on Mike's excellent article and Dennis's excellent book.

Dennis even discusses two-string releases on Page 46:
There are two variants of this release: 2-string and 3-string models. A problem some three-string models have is a tendency not to let go of the towline if the tension is reduced significantly before the pilot trips the release. A couple good jerks on the bridle will usually cause the towline to drop but it can be unnerving for the pilot since he does not know it will clear for sure. In response, some designers just use two loops of cord in the release. This doubles the load on the release pin and these releases can be hard to trip when loaded to a couple hundred pounds.

With the proper geometry, size and selection of materials the three-string release can be to operate reliably, even at low loads. Similarly, with the proper pins, cords and geometry the two-string release can be designed to easily under very high loads. There are no hard rules as to which is better, the manufacturer simply must test them extensively. We recommend you not be a test pilot, use proven equipment.
See? Three-string/Two-string... Doesn't really matter 'cause they're both good if designed and tested properly by the manufacturer. And we know that the tandem pilot's two-string release was designed and tested properly 'cause the tandem pilot was using it.
The USHPA Safety & Training, Towing and Tandem Committees are working together on an operations advisory bulletin regarding tandem and towing operations to assist you in reducing your risk.
Will it be as good as the last one? The one that cautions us about the danger of a tandem glider becoming detached from the towline? That was downright clairvoyant.
Recommendations for reduction of risk in tandem/towing operations will likely include:

- Recommendation that payout winch tow operations utilize knowledgeable and trained spotters capable of observing the entire flight and releasing tow tension by both dropping system drag and severing the tow line;
Why not make it a mandatory SOP right this moment? The way you just did making it mandatory to wear a helmet at all times while hooked into a glider? It's incalculable just how many lives that's saved already.
- Recommendation that before each flight, the Tandem Instructor perform a demonstration of the activation of the primary and secondary release systems immediately prior to every flight both as a teaching moment for the student pilot and test of the release system;
- Wow! It's almost like you copied and pasted the text...
With each flight, demonstrates a method of establishing that the pilot is hooked in just prior to launch.
...from your hypercritical hook-in check SOP which has...

2-112
http://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7600/28811055456_925c8abb66_o.png

...prevented so many unnecessary deaths over the decades.

- So you're mandating secondary releases for tandem platform tow? Can we count the typical two loop / four strand weak link for tandem surface tow operations properly installed and positioned between the tow bridle and the towline and/or the hook knife as secondary releases?

- And if we can make the easy reaches to our primary two-string and secondary releases and activate them while we're parked on the back of the truck with the driver pulling on the rope we know we're gonna be just fine in a low level lockout.

- As long as we're doing teaching moments for our students can we throw in something about differentiating hang gliding from skydiving?
- Recommendation that wheels not be mounted outside the control frame;
Aw, just lose the fuckin' wheels altogether. It'll better incentivize the students to perfect their flare timing - like it says in the Safety Thing article.
- Reminder of the low cost and easy reduction of risk through an early termination of a tow as compared to the potential high cost and inherent risk of continuing a "non-perfect" tow;
Yeah, you sure don't want any more guys like Kelly thinking they can fix bad things and not wanting to start over - prioritizing convenience over safety. Probably wanna recommend safer weak links to better stack the deck in their favour.
- Reminder of your ability to reduce the inherent risk by being ready, proficient and able to get through all of the sequential emergency lockout procedures - "release...
...fly locked out glider with the other hand...
...cut...
Make sure to keep those hook knives sharp, people of varying ages!
...throw parachute" -within the time/altitude available.
Yeah, if people would just think more about their parachutes when they're locking out down in the kill zone - and stop being so FOCUSED during lockouts exclusively on activating the release.
In response to this incident, your thoughts and ideas are actively solicited as we use the lessons learned to develop the operations advisory bulletin to help our other pilots and students avoid similar fates.
- I was smart enough to get my hands on this bullshit document. That should count for something.

- But only if you're a paid up u$hPa member with a tandem and/or tow rating. Otherwise you couldn't POSSIBLY have anything to say worth anybody hearing.

- *I* got some thoughts and ideas - motherfuckers. But I rather doubt you wanna actively solicit them - 'cause pretty much all of them start with getting your fuckin' heads on pikes where they belong.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=32681
Tandem crash in LV (speculation thread)
NMERider - 2015/06/01 02:23:12 UTC
Eric Beckman - 2015/05/31 05:12:41 UTC

While there may be some who disagree with particular aspects of the investigation and the conclusions, it appears to be well considered and thorough. My hat's off to those who contributed to the unpleasant task, and my hope is that we can apply the learning to help prevent another tragedy like this from occurring in the future.

https://ushpa.aero/member_file.asp?id=XXX
USHPA - Members Only File Download

Requires member login.
Thanks for sharing this non-public information. Where did you get it? Not only can I not find any reference to this report anywhere I have access to as a USHPA member but I did not get an email with a member's only link to it. I have deleted the code in the link because I have a feeling this is intended to be private communication for a limited audience.

Anyhow, I found this to be the best prepared accident report I have ever seen from USHPA. It is consistent with what a tandem instructor friend of mine told me after having seen the videos. The information in it is useful to every tow pilot whether HG, PG ground-based or aero.
Thanks for sharing this non-public information.
Yeah, huge thanks. He posted a fuckin' link - he presumably got emailed because he's a member of...
Eric Beckman - 20228
- H5 - 1985/12/16 - Russell Locke - AT FL AWCL CL FSL RLF TUR XC - AT TOW OBS, OBS, TAND ADMIN, TAND INST, TUG PILOT
- P4 - 1996/06/13 - Andrew Whitehill - FL CL FSL HA RLF RS TUR XC
...the towing aristocracy - then sat on it for nineteen days until Brian brought the topic out of mothballs. Fuck this guy. Where the hell was he when Team Kite Strings was out there demolishing the goddam standard aerotow weak link weak link and all its douchebag proponents, defenders, enablers, enforcers?
Not only can I not find any reference to this report anywhere I have access to as a USHPA member but I did not get an email with a member's only link to it.
Don't let our Mother G. Fucker Treasurer get away with this shit. He asked everybody to squelch the "speculation" on this atrocity with the promise that we'd got "the truth" of what happened as soon as it was extracted and acceptably tidied up and then started asterisking us to death in the next nanosecond.
I have deleted the code in the link because I have a feeling this is intended to be private communication for a limited audience.
Who the fuck cares what the sleazy serial killers who've totally hijacked this sport from the recreational pilot intended? Show me how we can ever go wrong by doing the polar opposite of what they want us to.
Anyhow, I found this to be the best prepared accident report I have ever seen from USHPA.
"Prepared"? Fer sure. But definitely not to address the issues or get to any core understanding of how and why this happened.

"From u$hPa"? Fer sure there too. But that's like talking about the best report on global warming that's ever been put out by Faux News.
It is consistent with what a tandem instructor friend of mine told me after having seen the videos.
- It's a REALLY BAD idea to have tandem instructor friends in US hang gliding. These are the SS Officers of the sport. I'm really hoping some really nasty virus pings in on their DNA profile and eliminates them from the gene pool.

- What did this motherfucker ever do to merit the PRIVILEGE of seeing these videos - while people over here were going blind for weeks working with all the scraps of information we could get our hands on from the mainstream news media - while u$hPa maintained a total lockdown under total bullshit pretenses - to put most likely scenarios together?
The information in it is useful to every tow pilot whether HG, PG ground-based or aero.
1. Oh really. So what you're saying is that u$hPa's deliberately withholding from huge numbers of people information which could prevent them from getting crashed, injured, crippled, killed. And these same motherfuckers permanently revoke Brad Geary's tandem ticket for being a threat to people of varying ages - while Bob cheers at the top of his lungs from the sidelines.

- So what did you find useful in this bullshit report and analysis? We should:
-- use:
--- releases that actually work?
--- whatever weak link everyone else is using?
-- shouldn't have snaggy crap extending off the ends of our basetubes when we're circuit towing?
-- make sure our hook knives are within easy reach?
-- be fine with releases within easy reach because we can fly gliders through emergency situations with one or zero hands no problem?
-- have spotters at the other end of the string to compensate for shit equipment and make and execute our decisions for us?
-- never place any blame for anything on any driver?
-- be ready to toss our parachutes after our releases, weak links, hook knives, drivers, spotters don't work?
-- read more Mike Meier and Dennis Pagen?

Wanna read a really good disaster report?

http://ozreport.com/9.191
John Woiwode's Lockout

The people involved in that one were all partial idiots but they made every effort to totally publicly provide every detail of every scrap of possibly relevant information, including all the names of all the players, and were totally honest and totally not trying to cover any ass.

This u$hPa product is stinking, lying, disingenuous, ass covering, lawyered up bullshit displaying a total contempt for the eleven year old victim and his family - not to mention every recreational hang glider pilot on the planet.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

Brian Scharp - 2015/06/01 03:41:48 UTC
It is consistent with what a tandem instructor friend of mine told me after having seen the videos. The information in it is useful to every tow pilot whether HG, PG ground-based or aero.
I have deleted the code in the link because I have a feeling this is intended to be private communication for a limited audience.
NMERider - 2015/06/01 05:23:39 UTC

Why the nausea emoji? Or is it called a pukey? Image
'Cause that's exactly what it deserves.

An eleven year old kid is dead and his family and a fair chunk of his community are devastated because:

- an unidentified commercial tow driver fucked up bigtime

- a commercial tandem thrill ride driver used cheap, stupid, shoddy, dangerous equipment and then went the extra mile to fuck up what he had

- u$hPa long ago decided to betray its primary mission of the advancement of competent hang gliding and go into the tandem thrill ride business to make and retain as much money as possible and give its drivers free reign to do whatever the fuck they felt like - just as long as it didn't carry any taint of the kind of excellence we saw in the Brad Geary video

Sorry but... Fuck your:

- tandem instructor friend who gets privileged access to these videos that those of us who genuinely want to fix and advance this sport would kill for

- deference to the perceived wishes of the mafia scum that's hijacked this sport from its participants and restricts access to what should be totally public information to a select group of good ol' boys who'll all bend over backwards to make sure nothing is done with it

If you really give the slightest flying fuck about the next Arys Moorhead or Bill Priday you need to start treating the vast majority of people involved in this sport with the total naked contempt they deserve and be prepared for an expulsion hearing for Acting in a Manner Contrary to Interests of The Corporation.

Right now you're giving aid and comfort to the enemy.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

Brian Scharp - 2015/06/01 14:24:35 UTC

It represents my reaction to possible safety related information being treated as a guarded secret meant only for a select group.
Yeah. Image Image Image Image Image The more the merrier.
Jim Gaar - 2015/06/01 14:34:27 UTC

I read the report and indeed it contains very valuable information about the accident...
ACCIDENT?
...and how it occurred.
Yeah? Tell us how anything was of any value whatsoever. Anybody with half a brain or better knew within a few seconds of the first report coming over the wire that the driver fucked up and Kelly was using some total piece o' shit as a "release" and was thus totally incapable of handling any emergency situation low on tow.

As soon as I heard about this I posted at 2015/03/28 17:56:22 UTC in the "Releases" topic:

http://www.kitestrings.org/post7619.html#p7619

My previous post on that topic - and anywhere else - at 2015/03/28 12:37:02 UTC, about three and a third hours earlier and six minutes shy of fourteen hours after the Jean Lake impact was on "piece o' shit two-strings taking the full towline loads" and the total assholes who put them into circulation. How's that for one of the all-time great hang gliding toldyasos - motherfuckers?

And kudos to Steve for the prompt fourteen hours and forty-seven minutes BEFORE the impact. The lower image on THIS:
http://hpac.ca/tow/HPAC_Tow_Manual.asp
Hang Gliding / Paragliding Association of Canada Towing Procedures Manual

http://hpac.ca/tow/img/release.gif
is the exact functional equivalent of what Kelly used to kill himself and his eleven year old skydiving student.
However one does NOT need to read the report to learn how to be safe.
Of course not. We Former Flight Park Managers all have the abilities to evaluate 130 pound Greenspot as having the best known and accountable safety record (in our personal books anyway).
The "privileged info" should come out through folks like me and many other "mentors" through a method or information decimation and discussion with both current and new pilots.
Who better to decimate information to both current and new pilots? You've never once...

http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=22540
LMFP release dysfunction
Jim Gaar - 2011/07/14 15:40:13 UTC

In a litigious society like the U.S. it's all part of the game. If you don't like it, you just take your ball and go home...

This is the reality of the sport we love. "Always the student". Learn how to use it or don't. You just missed out on what every American pilot already knows from birth.

We assume risk every day. Sometimes with a LMFP release. Hope you get your issues ironed out. The classified section is ready if you don't.
...failed us in that role before.
Shit happens, even to the best and most talented of us.
BULLSHIT. Anybody who believes that crap has no business whatsoever being in the sport.
The report proved this out and makes it all the more heart wrenching...
BULLSHIT. That report just proved what we already knew - that that motherfucker was running a shoddy operation and his negligence was what got a little kid fatally smashed in in front of his family. And that's what he's GONNA BE and SHOULD be remembered for. Show me where he EVER participated in a single discussion about tow releases or any of the carnage resulting from the kind of junk he was using.

And FUCK "TALENT". When the shit hit the fan it was as much use to him as that two dollar two-string piece o' shit he was passing off as a release and gambling lives on. All his "TALENT" was good for was a long lie-down in the desert...

KSNV-9-24015-6

...on the final day of operation of "Adventures Unlimited" (Ltd.)
Brian Scharp - 2015/06/01 15:15:27 UTC

Good example. You're likely to disseminate your decimated "privileged info".
One of the all-time great hang gliding quotes, huh Brian? Right up there with "instructors and other qualified pilot fiends".
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

miguel - 2015/06/01 21:51:43 UTC

Release ?

What is exactly wrong with a 'string' release? If there is a link, point me to it. If not, you can quote this email for the board.

I have a GW Meadows 3 string circus special that worked perfectly the few times it was used.
What is exactly wrong with a 'string' release?
Absolutely NOTHING. It's an offshoot of Bill Booth's skydiving cutaway system:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/25/3Ring_release_animation.gif

It's simple, effective, brilliant. THIS:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/aerotowrelease/8305333309/

is an adaptation of the three-string principle (and, as we've said, it NEEDS to be a three-string 'cause it has so much step-down as a four that it needs something over normal tow tension to blow it (and you can easily get locked out and killed under WAY under normal tow tension - despite the best predictions of Skyting "Theory")) that allows you to blow with both hands on the basetube. I totally love it. EVERYBODY who puts one of these together totally loves it.
I have a GW Meadows...
Fuck GW Meadows.
...3 string circus special that worked perfectly the few times it was used.
ALL releases...

http://ozreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=42186
Pro tow Mini Barrel Release?
Davis Straub - 2015/04/26 06:32:10 UTC

I've never had it not release and that's hundreds of times.
...work perfectly the few times somebody's used them. But it's the once in fifty thousand events in which somebody's crippled or killed to which we need to pay attention.

In the Kelly/Arys it's the NUMBER of strings which with I have a HUGE problem - although two, three, four wouldn't have made any difference as it was the (undefined/secret) lanyard routing that was the killer here. The towline tension stayed entirely in the zero (slack) to normal/preset. The motherfuckers didn't bother telling us what that was but I'd guess not much more than two hundred pounds.

Nevertheless going up on a two-string is moronic solo and criminally negligent tandem. Solos have bitches of times getting off in the course of normal flights and, even though they're on constant tension payout winches they need to be able to handle weak link 'cause constant tension payout winches can and do JAM. And weak link needs to be high - one and a half Gs or more - to prevent fatal inconveniences resulting from harmless stalls.

Kelly's Falcon I 225 has a max certified operating weight of five hundred (499 to be precise) pounds. A MINIMUM legal aerotow weak link - like the one that fatally inconvenienced Zack Marzec would be four hundred pounds. And, if the goal is to prevent fatal inconveniences, min surface tow weak links need to be a lot higher 'cause surface tow tensions need to be a lot higher to achieve comparable (safe) climb rates. And you'll see that sailplane manufacturer weak link specifications are mostly a lot higher for surface than aero.

Good freakin' luck blowing a two string at four hundred without heroic effort. And a minimum SANE weak link for that glider would be 750.

THIS:
There are two variants of this release: 2-string and 3-string models. A problem some three-string models have is a tendency not to let go of the towline if the tension is reduced significantly before the pilot trips the release. A couple good jerks on the bridle will usually cause the towline to drop but it can be unnerving for the pilot since he does not know it will clear for sure. In response, some designers just use two loops of cord in the release. This doubles the load on the release pin and these releases can be hard to trip when loaded to a couple hundred pounds.

With the proper geometry, size and selection of materials the three-string release can be to operate reliably, even at low loads. Similarly, with the proper pins, cords and geometry the two-string release can be designed to easily under very high loads. There are no hard rules as to which is better, the manufacturer simply must test them extensively. We recommend you not be a test pilot, use proven equipment.
from the excellent book, Towing Aloft, by Dennis Pagen and Bill Bryden, is one hundred percent pure unadulterated CRAP - because Dennis and his fake coauthor spend all their time packing as many meaningless and redundant words onto their pages and none of their time working on knowing what the fuck they're talking about.

When you knock a string out of the equation the increase in the load on the pin is pretty fuckin' enormous because of the reductions of the factors of materials friction and stiffness in the system. You can't divide and multiply by two as you change strings numbers. If I were gonna use a directly loaded multi-string release for surface it would be a four.
A problem some three-string models have is a tendency not to let go of the towline if the tension is reduced significantly before the pilot trips the release.
Who with half a brain or better gives a flying fuck? Nobody's ever gotten scratched as a consequence of still being attached to a slack towline. And if/when the towline starts tensioning a bit to try to hurt you the release lets go. Self correcting problem. Yeah slack towlines can and do become deadly when they're retensioned after tying themselves to something but this never happens in real world surface tow releases.

I really don't understand how a guy clever and innovative enough to design the platform launch / simulator combo rig that he did can be that fuckin' stupid with respect to the grade school level critical fundamentals.

P.S. Note that in Bill Booth's skydiving release (which only deals with half of the relatively low tension transmitted by a malfunctioning parachute) the third ring is analogous to our tow ring and he uses a string to engage the pin (and step the force down) - just like we do.
miguel

Post by miguel »

Thanks for the explanation.

I always used whatever the tow rig operator had on hand without any fore or hind thought, until one day when the release did not release. After some aerobatics, while wrassling with the brake lever release, I flew the glider in circles and landed it still connected to the tow rope.
That was the end of towing rag wings for me. It is somewhat humorous in hindsight but I dropped down and kissed the ground after landing.
Steve Davy

Post by Steve Davy »

A typical two loop / four strand weak link for tandem surface tow operations was properly installed and positioned between the tow bridle and the tow line.
How does one properly install and position a weak link between the tow bridle and the tow line?

PS Nice to see that you're still kicking, Miguel.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

Thanks for the explanation.
And thank Wikipedia for the cool GIF illustration.
I always used whatever the tow rig operator had on hand without any fore or hind thought, until one day when the release did not release.
Yeah, that was pretty much the mindset of Arys' family in the early afternoon of 2015/03/27.
How does one properly install and position a weak link between the tow bridle and the tow line?
By eliminating either the tow ring, the way Shane Smith's crowd did on 2011/01/15, or the release, which Kelly Harrison could have done on 2015/03/27 without negatively affecting the overall safety of the system.

Come to think of it... If Kelly HAD eliminated the "release" on that occasion it's a virtual certainty that he and his skydiving student would've come out smelling like roses 'cause his focus would've been on pulling something actually designed by somebody to actually work.

140-20205
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8641/16488801859_aeb7073be3_o.png
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8616/16054994633_e8a00ae528_o.png
166-20813
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

Jason Boehm - 2015/06/01 16:47:53 UTC

so where is all this information?
You're right, jason... if it ain't on the jack show it ain't worth reading. Asshole.
Steve Corbin - 2015/06/01 17:07:51 UTC

I've not done a lot of towing, but I have done the three I know of: Static line with only a pressure gauge, static with pay-out winch, Platform truck towing, and aerotow.
- Tell me where you put a pressure gauge for static / fixed line towing and what good it's supposed to do you.

- There's no such thing as static with a payout winch. If you're talking about a stationary winch the only way it's paying out line is if you're step towing or kiting in a lot of wind.

- Tell me what you were using for an aerotow weak link and what you thought it was supposed to be doing for you.
I was always very impressed with the added complexity of launching this way, as opposed to hill launching.
Yeah, so much more complex than balancing, leveling, trimming a glider on your shoulders, running up to speed, proning out and shifting your hands to the basetube.
I know I won't tow unless it's being done in the most professional manner, with a qualified driver and observer with access to a line cutter of some sort.
I wouldn't go near a professional operation with a gun to my head. Zack Marzec and Arys Moorhead where both killed at and by professional operations. And I want some goddam idiot with a hook knife making and executing my decisions for me about as much as I want the same thing from a loop of fishing line. And if I were running an operation dopes on ropes such as yourself wouldn't be the least bit welcome.

And by the way... Shane Smith had an observer with access to a line cutter of some sort but it didn't do him any good. Believe it or not, trying to fly around with a loose length of towline trailing behind you ain't that great an idea.

And also... What do you think would be an allowable timeframe for your observer to access a line cutter of some sort?
I also would prefer an extra emergency release of some type on my end.
Yeah. 'Cause you're worried that you might misroute the lanyard to your very very reliable two-string.
I'd like to see an annual or at least bi-annual towing clinic taking place somewhere centrally geographically located so there would be good attendance...
Run by whom? Jim Keen-Intellect Rooney? Ryan Instant-Hands-Free-Release Voight? Steve Exceptionally-Knowledgeable Wendt? Lauren Eminently-Qualified-Tandem-Pilot Tjaden? Dennis Excellent-Book Pagen? Mike Dead-Eye Robertson? Dr. Trisa Tilletti? Mitch Shipley? Malcolm Jones? Bart Weghorst? Pat Denevan? Zack Marzec? Mark Knight? Kelly Harrison?
...and everyone could be brought up to speed on the best way to do things, especially training of drivers, observers, and of course pilots.
Yeah, if you get somebody to do an annual or at least biannual towing clinic taking place somewhere centrally geographically located so there would be good attendance you're DEFINITELY gonna get brought up to speed on the best way to do things, especially training of drivers, observers, and of course pilots.
Combining this with a Hg manufacturers "Demo Days" would make for a great gathering and party.
I have absolutely no doubt whatsoever that it would - 'specially the party part.
Step-towing has always intrigued me, but I only did it once on a short tow road.
We discussed it at length before trying it. I had the advantage of having done it with an RC glider and understood my role in keeping the line off the ground as best I could, as there were fences in the area.

It was a fun experiment, and experiment it was as none of us had ever tried it before.

I heard that in the LV accident the rope got slack and blew up over a wheel assembly outside of the base tube.
Yeah? Here's what I HEARD:
The flight ended with a nine second lockout and impact with the ground. The lockout developed after slack quickly came out of the tow line and the bridle came into contact with the glider's control frame. The glider was at 390 feet AGL with the towline appearing to angle approximately 50 degrees left of the glider's flight path. The tow bridal first contacted the outside edge of the wheel adjacent to the left corner bracket. The glider quickly transitioned into a fully developed lockout as the tow line force increased against the control frame.
Missed the part about the rope BLOWING over a wheel assembly. Sounds more like it was PULLED over the wheel assembly.
And then recently I read that everyone should not use that type of landing gear.
Did you check out your source? I'd be very careful taking advice from just anyone indicating that it would be a bad idea to step tow with a configuration like this.
Perhaps a technique can be used to prevent the line from blowing up over the wheels, instead.
Yeah! Then you could use that configuration and just hafta worry about the line being PULLED over the wheel assembly.
Although an electric winch could be used to keep the line "snug" in the event the pilot hits severe sink or for some other reason can't keep the line straight, an alternative method should also be used in the event of winch failure or an operators mistake. I believe in having as much redundancy as possible.
'Specially extra wheels projecting out beyond the control frame and flying wires.
Perhaps the first fifty or so feet of rope at the glider end could be heavy enough that it won't blow up towards the glider if it gets slack.
If you u$hPa motherfuckers would post the goddam videos we wouldn't hafta be wasting so much time dealing with total morons like this.
Perhaps a second observer with a radio-controlled line cutter up near the glider would be a valid form of redundancy,
That's ABSOLUTELY *BRILLIANT*!!! Damn I wish I'd thought of something like that. We could save ten lives a year in hang gliding then market the technology to sailplanes.
I hope some more experienced tow pilots will post here...
Well one of the more experienced tow pilots was a tandem two-stringer who couldn't figure out how to route a lanyard to make it work with two hands pulling in the course of a nine second / 390 foot lockout and I doubt he will be doing much more posting here.
...and straighten me out where my thinking is bad.
No, No. Your thinking is totally astounding. Whatever it is you're smoking - keep smoking it. And tell me where I can get some. (Have you considered taking over as the Chair of the Towing and/or Safety and Training Committees?)

08-01107
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7769/18376684492_a49fd12f3e_o.png
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8760/18376683312_0194935885_o.png
14-01405

http://mouthrelease.com/
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

Don Arsenault - 2015/06/01 17:29:22 UTC
Toronto
Steve Corbin - 2015/06/01 17:07:51 UTC

Perhaps the first fifty or so feet of rope at the glider end could be heavy enough that it won't blow up towards the glider if it gets slack.
Bingo!! Solves a lot of issues.
Like this one - in which the tight tow bridle was pulled up over the wheel.
Michael Robertson is the only one I know of that uses this.
Mike Robertson is step towing using a stationary winch and a Koch two stage release connecting to a split towline extension - not a bridle ("bridal"). That's thirty year old technology that he had ZERO part in developing and a good hand in...

http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=27044
Here's a scary one for ya!
Don Arsenault - 2012/09/05 01:09:41 UTC

It was not a weak link break, and I don't believe the release touched the control bar. I got a crap release. That's all there is to it. I never ever had a double release on any of the training harnesses. When I switched to the spaghetti, and bought this release, it double released on me all the time, but I usually don't transition until at least 200', so it's always been a non-event. Annoying, but a non-event. I told them there was something wrong with the release, and they didn't believe me. Thought I was too new, and it was my technique. Until this flight. The release just let go. My hands never left the down tubes, and it did not touch the base bar. It was the final straw. If I let the video keep rolling, you would have seen me quickly lose my cool, and yell and curse and march into the office to demand a new release. I got one, and my next flight went great.
...DEGRADING. It's not relevant to this situation.
Perhaps instinct does as well, but I haven't flown there yet.
So where's Mike Robertson - the world's beacon of hang gliding safety - in this conversation? This one wasn't important enough to be worth a comment from him? And how come nobody's screaming that if only Kelly had run through the Charts of Reliability...
Dave Pendzick - 2015/06/01 18:01:35 UTC

Saw a similar situation with one of Learn2glide's videos. He has since taken it down.
The video may be down but the stills are still up:
http://www.kitestrings.org/post6857.html#p6857
and beyond.
Brian Scharp - 2015/06/01 18:08:41 UTC
Jason Boehm - 2015/06/01 16:47:53 UTC

so where is all this information?
Jim Gaar - 2015/06/01 14:34:27 UTC

The "privileged info" should come out through folks like me and many other "mentors" through a method or information decimation and discussion with both current and new pilots.
Jim Gaar - 2015/06/01 18:10:10 UTC

Are you not a USHPA Member Brian?
Brian Scharp - 2015/06/01 18:17:47 UTC

Yes, I'm a member.
Yeah.
Jim Gaar - Lone Jack, Missouri - 73864 - H3 - 2005/07/25 - Len Smith - AT FL PL PA CL FSL RLF
He's a member who got his FOUR the better part of twenty-two years before you got your THREE...

http://www.ushawks.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=767
Is This a Joke? We Know What We're Doing?
Warren Narron - 2011/09/15 05:53:07 UTC

About Jim

Tad, for some reason I can't get logged in to Kite Strings to join a dialog on the two Jims.
For the record, (as you already know) Jim Gaar, is a big talking fraud.

But what you might not know is that Jim Gaar, even now, is barely a H3 and never has flown a Dragonfly. He likes to give the impression that he has .. but it's a big fat lie.

Jim Gaar has very little experience in towing of any kind and it's really pathetic to see him posture and pretend to others that he is such an old timer. When Jim Gaar mentions hundreds and hundreds of tows and years and years of experience, he is actually talking about other pilots, as a group, that has those credentials.

In 2001 Jim Gaar was a new H2 when two other pilots and myself, plus Gaar's father went in together on a cheap Dragonfly to form a flying club that is now long-gone defunct.

Jim Gaar, was instrumental in the failure of this group and the resultant "flight park" as the 'Blindrodie' was named temporary manager of the flight park in the paperwork his lawyer father wrote up for the group.

The temporarily named 'place holder Gaar', became defacto permanent manager over time because neither of the other partners had the backbone to properly elect an officer as the partnership bylaws prescribed.

At that time, Gaar, had about two hours claimed in his log book and was handed the reigns to the "flightpark".
Ignorance is one thing and it really isn't a crime, until it's coupled with arrogance.

Add in the Gaar predisposition to falsely prop oneself up as some kind of an authority, plus a tendency for larceny and it looks like Jim Gaar might have missed his calling in politics!

Jim Gaar's postings on the Jack and Straub show prove that laws of lowest common denominator prevail.
I hate to think that some young pilot might confuse him for someone with a clue.

It's buyer beware around Jim Gaar, kids.
Don't let him blow smoke up your butt and keep your eyes on your valuables.
Seriously.
...MOTHERFUCKER. What's the point of your question?