Releases

General discussion about the sport of hang gliding
Tad Eareckson

Re: Releases

Post by Tad Eareckson »

http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=29415
Holy Crap
Lin Lyons - 2013/07/10 03:41:02 UTC

I don't stay on tow when the tow line is more than 45 degrees down.
It's just not worth it.
Yeah, you've got that bridle really pulling back on the basetube so you really can't climb anymore. If only there were some way to transfer the tension from over / in front of to below / behind the bar. You could get a lot more altitude / airtime per tow that way. But I just can't see any realistic engineering solution to accomplish something like that.

The hardware would hafta be very complex and everybody knows that the more complex something is the more failure prone it is. Give me a Davis Mini Barrel any day of the week. Simple and reliable.
It's clearly true that when the release wouldn't work, I was considerably farther down, but that's the only time I got that far down the line of the winch.
No shit.
I'm pretty sure it's the only time that anyone got that far down the winch line while still on tow.
Well, yeah...
Lin Lyons - 2013/07/03 21:19:38 UTC

What I was told was that they'd never seen an accident like mine.
If that was the only time somebody locked a three-string onto the line that's about what you'd expect.
BTW, when I towed Sunday, it was suggested that I release earlier.
Well sure... I mean:

- You just locked your release to the towline two and a half weeks ago so you're highly likely to do it again.

- Mission's certainly not gonna alter their procedures and start checking people before they crank them up because the practice of not checking them has worked flawlessly for decades - except for one time and you certainly wouldn't wanna fuck with anything that's got that kind of track record.

- So if you go up with another locked release you'll wanna have extra time to get your hook knife and/or parachute out while they watch in horror from back at the winch.
I would have anyway.
Yeah, you certainly don't wanna start doing anything so foolish as topping out tows at this point in your career. If you wanna get a the same amount of airtime just do more tows. MUCH safer that way.
Edit: They're working on a 2-string release, using spectra line, that really cannot be attached incorrectly.
- Really? I thought they had already determined that the three-string was state-of-the-art equipment.

- GREAT! One student induced fuckup like that in decades of tows so reduce the number of loops and demolish the load capacity to reduce the likelihood of a rerun. Don't:
-- beef up the three-string use training
-- design a more idiot resistant three-string
-- institute second party hook-up checks at launch
-- start using Koch two stages
Just use a crappier but more idiot resistant release mechanism. And don't forget to dumb down the weak link to compensate.

- A two-string! Super! The mechanism that locked up on:

- Dave Farkas and almost killed him...
Felipe Amunategui - 1996/08/02

Examination of the towline after the crash revealed that the weak link in the tandem end was intact, and that the tug end had no weak link and no steel ring (used to secure the line to two string release on tug). This suggests that the line did not release when the tug pilot intended it to.
...along with the two people - Bill Bennett and Mike Del Signore - on the tandem he stalled out and crashed behind him.

- Peter Birren and inspired him...

http://www.ushawks.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=607
Understanding Tow Releases
Peter Birren - 2011/08/29 18:40:45 UTC

In my 1000+ tows, I've had to use my hook knife three times... the first was on a pulley tow when an old 2-string release didn't work. Sure did need that hook knife... and RIGHT NOW! Though it worked fine and I lost the bridle and release, it gave me the inspiration to come up with the Linknife.
...to invent the Linknife and thus remedy virtually all hang glider towing issues.
I expect that they're also thinking about whether other changes are appropriate.
- How 'bout a one string release? It would be even harder to hook up wrong and easier to manufacture. It wouldn't, of course, have any load capacity but neither does the bent pin barrel release and New and Improved Lockout Mountain Flight Park Release. And people don't seem to have any real problem...

http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=22540
LMFP release dysfunction
Diev Hart - 2011/07/14 17:19:12 UTC

I have had issues with them releasing under load. So I don't try to release it under a lot of load now.
...adjusting to those.

- Seems something of a pity that the Koch two stage isn't under consideration but I guess that's out because they:
-- can't risk having anyone's chest crushed; and
-- only use state-of-the-art equipment - like the Mission Two-String Release.

- It's a no brainer that they'll be requiring everyone to fly with three hook knives properly safetied to harness to use as supplements to or instead of the new two-string releases.

- I'm guessing that they'll continue not using launch marshals because:
-- that's always been one of the core components of their highly successful safety program
-- it'll be impossible to hook the new two-string up wrong
-- the capacity of the new two-string is so pathetic that it wouldn't make any noticeable difference if it were hooked up wrong

- Safer weak links to reduce the amount of trouble people can get into.

- Shorter pitch limiters to ensure safer angle of attack ranges.

- Hook-in checks? Hell, it's pretty much flat ground and the winch driver can chop power in an instant. What would be the point?
I'd really rather be jumping off a hill.
And I always thought that it was the just the availability of vertical stuff that made Californians so negative on towing.
That is, I think I would.
No Lin, you're quite on target with this.

Thanks bigtime, Pat, for:

- doing everything you can think of to make hang glider towing as dangerous and odious an experience as possible for all the incoming flyers you can get your hands on

- dropping expectations of quality into the basement

- normalizing and legitimizing shoddiness, incompetence, ignorance, and stupidity

P.S. Hey Lin...

Notice that what the people who know what the fuck they're talking about are telling you are the basic and obvious fixes that need to be implemented at Mission...
- Koch two stage
- launch marshal
- winch guillotine
- lose the pitch limiter
- beef up the weak link
- dolly launch
...are NOT the fixes that Pat's implementing?

Doesn't that seem a bit odd to you? Think maybe that the reason for this discrepancy is that if Pat implemented effective fixes he'd be, in effect, admitting that it was his negligence, incompetence, apathy that resulted in the situation in which you found yourself a month ago - as very clearly and graphically documented in that viral video of yours?

This is EXACTLY how hang gliding at large has been (d)evolving for decades. Whenever there's a major disaster due to negligence and incompetence the existing solution or obvious fix isn't implemented. The existing solution or obvious fix is suppressed at all cost and the negligence and incompetence is institutionalized as responsible standard operating procedure and best possible practice.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afd_uFKymhE
7-08 flying again. A little, that is.
Lin Lyons - 2013/07/08

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afd_uFKymhE

A bit nervous, but okay. Except the second flight where I forgot to release my boot. Should'a kept flying - same price for thirty seconds as thirty minutes, not that I've ever got thirty minutes. But I did get nine, if I recall correctly.
Great job Mission, again, making sure this guy got in the air properly and helping him regain some confidence on his first set of hops since you nearly killed him twenty-two days prior.
Terry Smith

Good for you Lin, time to get some foot launches in.
Those ARE foot launches, Terry. If they'd been dolly launches he wouldn't have been able to forget to unhook his boot. But Lin hasn't yet earned the privilege of doing the safe, easy, efficient, idiot proof stuff.

Well, he probably WOULD HAVE by this point but he needs to be punished for hooking up his three-string wrong once (and publishing a video exposing the shoddiness and incompetence of Mission's operation).
Lin Lyons

I'd like to continue flying.
However I am having second thoughts.
No shit.
Mainly because of my memory.
I shouldn't have left my boot clipped.
Maybe when you've demonstrated that you're skilled and responsible enough to remember to unclip your boot, Mission will permit you to use the dolly - which makes the launch a lot easier and safer and impossible to forget to unclip your boot.
In truth, that's not a big deal.
You are absolutely one hundred percent correct. It's not a safety issue and if you were gonna be up long enough for it to have become a comfort issue you'd have had enough time and altitude to deal with it - even by standing up in the control frame if that's what it would've taken.
It's the forgetting that's the big deal.
Putting the bread in the refrigerator isn't a big deal.
Forgetting to hook in - particurly if you're on a cliff, on the other hand...
Have you considered adding what...
Dennis Pagen - 1994/01

For the past season I also added what Pat Denevan calls the hook-in check which consists of lifting the glider until the tug of the harness is felt and saying "hooked in" out loud.
...Pat Denevan calls the "hook-in check"? It consists of lifting the glider until the tug of the harness is felt and looks like THIS:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9G8ERElpjM

13-03110
http://c2.staticflickr.com/4/3697/13700915564_87a2a336b0_o.png
http://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2912/13700562685_86575e9220_o.png
14-03129
G.W. Meadows - 1994/03

If we started teaching the "Pat Denevan" hook-in check we could prevent more unhooked launches. Pat's method consists of the simple practice of picking the glider up high enough to feel the suspension lines get tight, saying "HOOKED IN!" and then the usual launch announcement. It might take a little getting used to for some pilots, but I'm convinced now more than ever that my own "foolproof" method is not foolproof enough. Dennis had his own foolproof method and it bit him.
Rob Kells - 2005/12

Mission's Pat Denevan teaches a hook-in check, which is the "lift the glider to feel the leg loops go tight" method I outlined above.
Maybe you could get together with Pat Denevan of Mission Soaring Center at their dedicated training site at Tres Pinos (just south of the San Jose / San Francisco Bay Area) and, for a couple hundred bucks, get him to tune you into this technique in a special session.

If you use the Pat Denevan Method you hafta forget to use the Pat Denevan Method AND forget to hook-in on the same flight in order to get in trouble. And that has NEVER ONCE - in the entire history of hang gliding - actually happened. (Granted, however, that in the entire history of hang gliding there've only been about a dozen individuals who've actually incorporated the Pat Denevan Method as a component of their launch sequences (primarily because there are no schools or instructors actually teaching, recommending, suggesting the Pat Denevan Method (and virtually all of them are rabidly hostile to the concept because they don't want it giving any students false senses of security)).)

Free tip here, Lin, which I have no doubt whatsoever you'll ignore as totally as everything else you've ignored that I've said here dealing with your situation...

The people in this sport LEAST likely to launch unhooked are the ones with the crappiest memories and the ones MOST likely to launch with their boots clipped and/or their helmets unbuckled.

They KNOW and ACCEPT that their memories, disciplines, routines all suck and thus they're ALWAYS scared SHITLESS of launching unhooked.

Thus they know that they can't afford to worry about trivial crap like twisted lines and bar clearance at showtime and focus on the one thing that's most likely to kill them.

That's a fear based system and there's nothing like it for effectiveness. Nobody gets distracted by the mouse chewing its way into the bag of potato chips to the extent that he forgets about the tiger in the living room.
Steve Davy

Post by Steve Davy »

Incredible! Well if Pat is stupid enough to be towing folks up with pitch limiters then I guess it shouldn't be too much of a suprise that he's going to give a two string a go.

Lin, next time you see Pat tell him to shove that two string and pitch limiter up his ass.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

There's some discussion related to this one on the "Weak links" thread starting at:
http://www.kitestrings.org/post4865.html#p4865

http://westcoastbrit.blogspot.com/2013/05/a-couple-of-weeks-ago-i-had-experience.html
Lock out on tow
Joe Street - 2013/06/04 11:33

It all happens so fast. That's why I created the GETOFF release. Keep it in your hand for instant action.

http://www.nanoavionic.com - http://www.getoffrelease.com/
Anonymous - 2013/06/04 14:22

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9fQuDzFuCE
Shadetree Scholar - 2013/07/24 13:24

Ben - Thanks for posting this.
As a USHGA Tandem Instructor and Mentor - or, hell, for that matter just a rated participant - in a supposedly self regulated sport he had a DUTY to:
-- this (a lot sooner after the incident than he did)
-- the GoPro video from which the stills were taken
- file an incident report with USHGA
- engage in a discussion to the point at which a satisfactory resolution was reached
- work to see that satisfactory resolution universally implemented
I was a witness to the event, but being a novice pilot...
And seeing as how you were a rated pilot I'd say that you had/have similar responsibilities.
...did not understand everything that was going on.
That's OK, dude...

http://ozreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=30971
Zach Marzec
Paul Tjaden - 2013/02/07 23:47:58 UTC

I wish I could shed more light on this accident but I am afraid this is all we know and probably will know.
Paul Fucking Tjaden and the combined expertise of the rest of the Quest assholes with the benefit of being able to consult Jim Keen-Intellect Rooney, Bobby Fucking-Genius Bailey, Dr. Trisa Tilletti, Dennis Excellent-Book Pagen, Moyes, Wills Wing, and all the other top minds in the business don't have enough of a fuckin' clue as to what went on with the 2013/02/02 Zack Marzec fatality as to be able to offer a single hint of a suggestion for diminishing the chances of a rerun.
I just knew I was witnessing 1) a very serious event...
No shit.
...and 2) some amazing heads-up flying.
Well...

If you flip the photo maybe.

BULLSHIT.

- This stupid motherfucker for the purpose of the exercise got killed - INSTANTLY - solely because he ELECTED to go up with total shit equipment (and, of course, had a shit Dragonfly driver perfectly happy with towing him up into deadly conditions with total shit equipment).

- The only reason his useless ass is still alive is because he was LUCKY enough to have had enough air below him to survive.

- His total shit release was worse than no release at all. If he had just been welded to the back end of the towline he'd have had no incentive to take his hand off the basetube and he'd have been in a lot better shape when his asshole tug driver did his job for him.

- He didn't do a goddam thing that you couldn't and wouldn't have done with the same shit equipment in the same shit situation. He resisted the roll as best he could (after he got his hand back on the basetube), stuffed the bar, waited while the ground came up, and prayed that his glider would start flying again before it finished getting to him.

Wanna see some amazing heads-up flying?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JjtEnudT8Y

Notice that:
- this guy's head and upper surface and the blue stuff are all mostly actually up at all times
- he effects release himself
- the Dragonfly takes the towline back to the runway so the next guy can use it right away
- neither of his hands ever leave the downtube
- he's able to hook some of the nasty stuff that kicked him into a lockout and complete the task
- nobody's talking about witnessing:
-- a very serious event; and/or
-- any amazing heads-up flying

Seeing any patterns here? THIS:
Frank Borman - 2008/01/08

A superior pilot uses his superior judgment to avoid situations which require the use of his superior skill.
old adage old adage mean ANYTHING to you?
Now, thanks to the information you (and others) have shared, I have a better understanding of the event...
- Fuck the information Ben shared. The "(and others)" people should've been paying attention to were Anonymous (deltaman) and Joe Street - and as far as I can tell they're the two getting most ignored. Suggest ACTUAL SOLUTIONS to douchebags like Ben and the discussions either immediately end or go on for a bit then get locked down.

- You want a better understanding of the event?

-- One total douchebag pulled another total douchebag into on some shit equipment into some air they both KNEW could be lethal.

-- The douchebag without the engine was, big surprise, unable to do what he needed to and damn near killed himself because he lost control of his aircraft and became a passenger while it went about the business of recovering from a really nasty stall.

- Look at these guys:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3OMoQDbL3o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjpCpgTiDS4

- Which operation came closer to producing a statistic?

- Compare/Contrast with Quest on 2013/02/02:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-bRrpHNa68iY/UQ6Pv9gRZyI/AAAAAAAAjTg/Hc22bx5122Q/s2048/20943781_BG1.jpg

Who had a better day?
...which hopefully will keep me from getting into a similar situation down the line.
- Why don't you tell us HOW? Ya plan on going up on the same equipment into the same conditions but get better results 'cause you'll be more FOCUSED? Gonna be wearing one of those little red rubber wristbands from USHGA?

- Do you give a flying fuck about any of the people flying the EXACT SAME equipment into conditions with the EXACT SAME potential TODAY?

Take a look at OP here flying the identical Marzec/Dunn configuration:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWs4MLq7OOA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjRrYAOnqqw

First video...

1:12 - The bar's practically stuffed as a result of him just trying to stay level with the tug. Just how well do you think he's gonna be able to hold the nose down if he gets blasted by the kind of air that Zack and Ben got?

1:44 - Just how much use do you think that "release" is gonna be in an emergency? The fuckin' emergency's gonna be ancient history by the time he's gonna be able to pry himself loose - even if he lives long enough to do it.

Second video...

0:27 - Can you envision ANY situation in which your ass might be toast if you...
Wills Wing / Blue Sky / Steve Wendt / Ryan Voight Productions - 2007/03

NEVER CUT THE POWER...

Reduce Gradually
Increase Gradually
...instantly and irreversibly lost 260 pounds worth of thrust? If you can't you've got no fuckin' business being anywhere near a runway.
Thanks again!
Get fucked. If you were really interested in making any positive changes for yourself or anyone else you wouldn't be thanking Ben and you would be following up with Deltaman and Joe and entering into the conversation over here.

P.S. Don't forget to compliment Rooney on the way he handled the very serious situation he precipitated by launching without checking to see that he was hooked into his tandem ride and the amazing heads-up job he did saving himself by maintaining a death grip on the control bar and diving the glider and his passenger into the powerlines.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

http://westcoastbrit.blogspot.com/2013/05/a-couple-of-weeks-ago-i-had-experience.html
Lock out on tow
Shadetree Scholar - 2013/07/24 13:24 UTC

I was a witness to the event, but being a novice pilot did not understand everything that was going on.
Hey Scholar... You're a Two and:
- probably AT rated
- almost certainly hanging out at the Carter Memorial Airport to catch a solo hop

If you'd been properly trained and certified you bloody well should've understood everything that was going on - 'cause that bloody well could've been your ass on the end of that string dealing with that dust devil instead of Ben's.

Granted, they probably haven't elevated you to "pro" status yet so you'd have been able to hold the nose down a lot better but you could very easily have been the subject of a fatality report that would've read a lot like Hang Four rated over twenty year pilot Mike Haas's...
There is no evidence that the pilot made an attempt to release from tow prior to the weak link break, the gate was found closed on the Wallaby-style tow release.
Correct me if I'm wrong about that, dude.
Zack C
Site Admin

Post by Zack C »

Tad Eareckson wrote:Why don't you tell us HOW? Ya plan on going up on the same equipment into the same conditions but get better results 'cause you'll be more FOCUSED?
From what I've heard, Ben is only aerotowing two point now. Not sure about his release.

Zack
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

Wow. A hang gliding person came within a second and a half of getting snuffed as a consequence of a dangerous equipment compromise and apparently decided to alter the way he was doing things. Can't believe there are more than a dozen people in this sport who've had a response like that.

Looks like he's playing for keeps right now at Big Spring. If he's towing two point whatever he's using is taking a glide point off the rest of his day.

If we had enough comp pilots scared enough of what almost happened to Ben and totally happened to Zack Marzec to stop flying one point we WOULD SEE manufacturers building quality aerotow release systems into their gliders.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

Ya know...

Zack Marzec's terminal pro toad bridle / 130 pound Greenspot lockout protector combo on 2013/02/02 shook the aerotowing industry up to a degree second only to the draft letter to the FAA I posted on 2009/05/09 in a vain attempt to prevent Zack Marzec's terminal pro toad bridle / 130 pound Greenspot lockout protector combo.

And then maybe a bit over three months later we have:

http://ozreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=32318
Lock Out
Alan Deikman - 2013/06/03 20:56:58 UTC
Fremont

That picture...
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-9Ek9_lFeSII/UZ4KuB0MUSI/AAAAAAAAGyU/eWfhGo4QeqY/s1600/GOPR5278.JPG
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3725/9665623251_612b921d70_o.png
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-Xh_NfnOcUns/UZ4Lm0HvXnI/AAAAAAAAGyk/0PlgrHfc__M/s1600/GOPR5279.JPG
...will give me nightmares.
The fuckin' 130 pound Greenspot lockout protector didn't do shit to increase the safety of the towing operation and the pro toad bridle / release within easy reach damn killed him.

Maybe Ben actually listened to some of what Antoine and Joe were saying and decided to blow ten percent of the cost of a parachute on something a few hundred times more likely to prevent him from being killed. It would be great if that release got some exposure by someone who seems to be holding his own at the 2013 Nationals.

But then, of course, we have:

http://ozreport.com/2013USNationalsrules.php
2013 US Nationals at Big Spring, Texas
2.0 EQUIPMENT

Appropriate aerotow bridles

Competitors must use appropriate aerotow bridles as determined by the Meet Director and Safety Director and their designated officials. Bridles must include secondary releases (as determined by the Safety Director). Bridles must be able to be connected to the tow line within two seconds. The only appropriate bridles can be found here:
http://OzReport.com/9.039#0
Pilots who have not already had their bridles inspected during the practice days must bring their bridles to the mandatory pilot safety briefing and have them reviewed. Pilots with inappropriate bridles may purchase appropriate bridles from the meet organizer.
Maybe if he'd agree to purchase two or three appropriate bridles from the meet organizer they'd issue him a waiver to fly two point with a straight pin release.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=29771
keel tow point
Tiberiu Szollosi - 2013/08/21 15:44:47 UTC

Have an aerotow question, what sort of knotting do you use to tie on to the keel?

Any pictures would be great :)

Anybody wanna bring this guy over here for a look at least?
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

AND...

http://www.hanggliding.org/wiki/HG_ORG_Mission_Statement
HG ORG Mission Statement - Hang Gliding Wiki
HangGliding.Org Rules and Policies

No posts or links about Bob K, Scott C Wise, Tad Eareckson and related people, or their material. ALL SUCH POSTS WILL BE IMMEDIATELY DELETED. These people are poison to this sport and are permanently banned from this site in every possible way imaginable.
Somebody COULD post the photo over there. Jack's not in any kind of political shape to enforce his No T** at K*** S****** Rule and get away with it.

http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=12682
Landing on your feet (for AEROTOW)- So Dangerous
Jack Axaopoulos - 2009/06/29 14:26:26 UTC

OMG!!! You dont even have wheels!!?!?!?!? Image
YOURE GONNA DIE FOR SUUUUREE!!!! Image
I have a brilliant idea. People who cant land for sh*t.... LEARN TO LAND Image That way when a weak link breaks on you, ITS A NON-ISSUE. Genius huh??? Image
Not since...

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-bRrpHNa68iY/UQ6Pv9gRZyI/AAAAAAAAjTg/Hc22bx5122Q/s2048/20943781_BG1.jpg

...2013/02/02 fer sure. I'm guessing he'd just as soon keep little skeletons like that one in their closets.