Weak links

General discussion about the sport of hang gliding
<BS>

Re: Weak links

Post by <BS> »

Tell us why Davis isn't shifted hard to port at this:
point.
I'm going with his foot still hanging on the cart (which is probably trying to go in the opposite direction) and pushing himself off the control bar (no doubt making it more difficult to get the foot off the cart).

That position might allow transmission of left yaw torque, for what it's worth.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

Sure, go for it. I got nuthin'. The whole thing's a train wreck long before the word go anyway.

And look at all the effort these Davis Show douchebags are putting into analyzing this one and compare/contrast with the effort they put into Jean Lake.

http://ozreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=60556
My launch on Tuesday
Brad Gryder - 2019/08/16 18:25:10 UTC

Within the 4 to 5 second time frame, both the tug and the glider have airspeeds which are enough for lift-off.
Good thing when you're controlling your plane and keeping it pointed down the runway. Not so much when you're totally brain dead and forcing your plane off to the side into what would be a lockout if the pavement weren't there to limit the roll.
The glider appears "stuck" to the...
...total douchebag dangling underneath it.
...dolly on the right side only for the next 4 seconds. Some dolly cradles have insufficient notch clearance for asymmetric control bar lift-outs...
Their designers probably didn't envision pilots turning their gliders perpendicular to the runway before getting up to good launch speed. Maybe they could market a special Davis edition.
...and they can trap the control bar like a pipe wrench.
Happens all the time. There's a special term for it - pipe-wrenching. Check the incident reports.
The hang glider pilot is the best one to know whether he was hanging on to the right hose over those 4 seconds, or whether it was trapped in place, or maybe both.
Oh. There was a hang glider pilot involved in this one? Must've missed that part. Need to go back and carefully review one frame at a time.
Joe Faust - 2019/08/17 01:57:32 UTC

Davis, is there a time station that you'd instruct self-release?
Yeah, please get Davis's input on this one. He's been at an around all this plenty long enough to understand what's what and who's who.
Sam Kellner - 2019/08/17 02:07:07 UTC
Davis Straub - 2019/08/16 10:35:41 UTC

No.
:lol: :lol:
Glad everyone is ok
Everybody 'cept for Terry Mason. (Right Sam? :lol: :lol: )
Joe Faust - 2019/08/17 02:38:08 UTC

Davis has not said "No" regarding any time station; he said "No" about the 3-second station. Remaining question is more global. Davis?
Why don't you get his take on pro toad bridles, Joe?

http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=22233
Looking for pro-tow release
Zack C - 2011/06/16 03:14:35 UTC

I've never aerotowed pilot-only, but it is my understanding that this configuration pulls the pilot forward significantly, limiting the amount he can pull in further.
Davis Straub - 2011/06/16 05:11:44 UTC

Incorrect understanding.
Open:
Davis, is there a time station on the video that you'd instruct self-release?
Yeah Joe. Let's get Davis to write the AT manual for us. The guy's a living treasure.
Sam Kellner - 2019/08/17 02:47:51 UTC

Re: Agreed. Glad it turned out well
Jim Gaar - 2019/08/15 18:19:16 UTC

Davis could you get a remark from Bobby?
You're probably correct Joe. He might have been answering the above ?
If only there were some way Davis could communicate with us. Think of the enormous strides we'd be able to make in AT procedures and technology.
Harald Steen - 2019/08/17 06:38:18 UTC

I had a launch like that in the 90's. Crosswind combined with high angle of attack...
Oh. So the crosswind and high angle of attack were major factors in this one. Thanks. Must've missed that part.
...pulled it off just like Davis did.
Doing nothing beyond staying parked under the low wing, waiting for the runway to limit the roll and the tug to start pulling you back into the general direction of the runway. Keep up the great work.
What happened here seems to be a combination of factors.
Stupidity, incompetence, senility. Probably some issue with genetics as well.
This is a situation of You know what you got...
I knew that a decade ago - not anywhere near to the extent I should've though.
...don't know what you will get.
Yeah, this was just another one of those shit happens situations.
How good a view of the situation does a tug pilot have ?
Superb! Obviously. Wasn't that apparent enough from the way Bobby was constantly adjusting to the situation developing behind him, holding him on whereas a lesser AT pilot would've fixed whatever was going on back there by giving him the rope?
Brad Gryder - 2019/08/17 11:53:06 UTC

Most of the time, a tug pilot has a good view, but not always.
But it doesn't really matter 'cause regardless of what the fuck the tug does and how the fuck the glider ends up the tug's actions and responses were always impeccable. Right?
The type and location of the mirror makes a big difference.
I'd go with reflective, convex, and to the side.
Most mirrors are on the left side of the tug, with maybe a smaller mirror on the right.
Also they should be adjustable such that one doesn't hafta watch the glider after the Pilot In Command fixed whatever was going on back there by giving the glider the rope.
Unless there are mirrors on both sides, there is a blind spot if the hg pilot gets too far off to one side.
- So it's not a good sign when the tug can't see the glider?

- And here I was thinking that whenever the glider got five degrees off to a side the forces would overwhelm tug control to the point that a crash would be imminent.
There are also factors which influence how much time the tug pilot can afford to dedicate to the mirror view.
Bobby must've been simultaneously hit by all of them at once. Can you give us a list?
If the tug pilot is very experienced and is towing a greenhorn, he can focus on the pilot and watch the pilot almost the entire time, while flying the tug using mostly peripheral vision and other senses.
Smell and taste being major unappreciated ones.
If the tug pilot is towing a very experienced aerotow pilot, he has less need to focus on the pilot entirely, and can afford to pay more attention to other things like traffic, attitude, and gauges.
Here's a thought, Brad. How 'bout we let the two pilots equip, fly, be responsible for their own planes - and in compliance with FAA AT regs?
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

Didn't realize you'd gotten in TWO posts before my previous. Missed 2019/08/17 17:38:22 UTC - the last one on the previous page.
I'm going with it's his one leg in, one leg out prep for inconveniences.
After I finally figured out the Standard Aerotow Weak Link bullshit I did all my launches (grass) fully zipped up. There was no way in hell my Tad-O-Link was gonna inconvenience me and if some front end crap like a Dragonfly tow mast breakaway protector did the job I was gonna belly in and worry about the grass stains later. But I don't recall any front end issues for anyone over the course of my Ridgely years.

The front end stuff on the Dragonfly remains dangerous and illegal. It's moderately stupid to fly behind them in soarable conditions and launching on pavement...

Looks like we've gone beyond the attention spans of the Davis Show douchebags. Glad to have finished addressing all that crap. But what a game changer.

We went from:
Manned Kiting
The Basic Handbook of Tow Launched Hang Gliding
Daniel F. Poynter

"A bad flyer won't hurt a pin man but a bad pin man can kill a flyer." - Bill Bennett
"The greatest dangers are a rope break or a premature release." - Richard Johnson
to Donnell Hewett's Infallible Weak Link lunacy in 1981, the Chris Bulger and Bill Bennett / Mike Del Signore strong link fatalities in the earlier years of aerotowing. Then the Flight Park Mafia Standard Aerotow Weak Link pure insanity that entered the scene with widespread Dragonfly operations.

First major crumble on that one... Pete Lehmann and:

http://ozreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=24846
Is this a joke ?
Davis Straub - 2011/08/26 14:04:52 UTC

We had six weaklink breaks in a row at Zapata this year. Russell Brown (tug pilot, tug owner, Quest Air owner) said go ahead and double up (four strands of Cortland Greenspot).
Zack Marzec inconvenience fatality 2013/02/02 and subsequent total annihilation of Jim Keen-Intellect Rooney by Team Kite Strings coordinated attack. Many of us then become happy with absurd strength Tad-O-Links.

Jeff Bohl gets killed by his much too convenient Tad-O-Link 2016/05/21 and not one motherfucker breathes so much as a whisper about it as a factor.

2019/08/13 at the Big Spring Nationals...

14-0614 - 19-0815
ImageImage

Bobby Bailey, the best tow pilot in the business and a fucking genius when it comes to this shit and Davis Straub who's been at an around all this plenty long enough to understand what's what and who's who carve the crappy argument that being on tow is somehow safer than being off tow into granite in foot high letters and plant it for the world to see.

In situations as extreme as those - pro toad bridle; glider rolled twenty degrees, still partially connected to the cart, tip dragging on the pavement with the tug long since fully airborne; glider fully airborne still carrying the cart flying seventy degrees sideways off the intended flight path, rolled fifteen degrees the wrong way, way the hell below the rapidly climbing tug; ground crew giving events their undivided attention... Still infinitely better to be on tow - a line break or premature release by a bad pin man could easily translate to instant death. And the tug's safety margins for the tug appear to be no more compromised than they are on any run-of-the-mill Rooney Link protected dead air launch.

Davis and Bobby were in this situation so obviously everybody was doing everything right. The best of the best. So now every tug operator on the planet has gotta worry about being sued out of existence, maybe getting thrown into prison if he fixes whatever's gong on back there by giving the glider the rope or he permits use of a weak link that abruptly increases the safety of the towing operation. (Hey Peter... How many Birrenators ya think ya got out there in circulation nowadays?)

We've come full circle over a span of 35 years right back to:
Manned Kiting
Daniel F. Poynter

"A bad flyer won't hurt a pin man but a bad pin man can kill a flyer." - Bill Bennett
"The greatest dangers are a rope break or a premature release." - Richard Johnson
Right...

Is this a joke ?
Cragin Shelton - 2011/09/03 23:57:33 UTC

Nice Reference Citation
Manned Kiting
Daniel F. Poynter

Do you REALLY think that there has been no progress in knowledge about the practical applied physics and engineering of hang gliding in 37 years? OR that an early, 3+ decade old, information book written by a non-pilot is a solid reference when you have multiple high experience current instructors involved in the discussion?
...Cragin? And there's no going back now - EVER.

P.S. Anybody care to start holding his breath now waiting for the next individual to publicly mention something about hang glider weak links?

http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=36170
Weak Links?
Bart Weghorst - 2018/09/14 17:58:16 UTC

This forum used to have contributions from people who had a lot of experience with these type of issues. Weak links etc. have been discussed at length before. I cringe when I read that someone wants to do away with the weak link. As a AT regular who teaches this stuff I'd like to add my 3 cents.
-Don't do away with the weak link.
-Use one that is right for your weight/setup.
-Learn to deal with an early disconnect from the towline.
Please understand that the use of weak links does not prevent a lockout. They could help but they really serve a different purpose. I don't like to explain all this here because I think this forum is not a good medium to teach hang gliding subjects like these. When in doubt, consult an experienced AT operator and attend an AT course.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

http://ozreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=15716
weak links
Davis Straub - 2009/04/26 22:05:31 UTC

Tad obviously completely lacks social intelligence and probably a few other forms of intelligence. Also, he obviously has other mental health issues.

Also his reasoning is circular and when cornered breaks out in outrageous jumps, pulling dead rabbits from flatten hats.

But on the reasonable level I think that we can all agree that weaklinks should be as strong as possible without compromising their function which is to keep the hang glider from being broken by tow forces (and therefore hurting the pilot).

Tad doesn't agree, but the rest of us no doubt do, that we are in a partnership with the tug pilot, and that he needs to be protected also, and therefore our weaklink has to be less than his.

I'll check my weaklinks once again, to see if they are about 1.5 G.
Yeah Davis?

14-0614 - 19-0815
ImageImage

Doesn't look like you're all that goddam concerned about the safety of the tug pilot. Good luck finding a video of a more out of whack AT launch situation. The only thing that saved you from a near certain fatal lockout was your starboard tip being prevented from going down any more was the runway and you continued to the edge of survivability as it was.
Towing Aloft - 1998/01

Pro Tip: Always thank the tug pilot for intentionally releasing you, even if you feel you could have ridden it out. He should be given a vote of confidence that he made a good decision in the interest of your safety.
Did you remember to thank your tug pilot for NOT intentionally releasing you, giving him your vote of confidence that he made a good decision in the interest of your safety?
I'll check my weaklinks once again, to see if they are about 1.5 G.
http://ozreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=31052
Poll on weaklinks
Davis Straub - 2013/03/06 18:29:05 UTC

You know, after all this discussion I'm now convinced that it is a very good idea to treat the weaklink as a release, that that is exactly what we do when we have a weaklink on one side of a pro tow bridle. That that is exactly what has happened to me in a number of situations and that the whole business about a weaklink only for the glider not breaking isn't really the case nor a good idea for hang gliding.

I'm happy to have a relatively weak weaklink, and have never had a serious problem with the Greenspot 130, just an inconvenience now and then.

I'm thinking about doing a bit more testing as there seemed to be some disagreement around here about what the average breaking strength of a loop of Greenspot (or orange) weaklink was.
And do take all the time you need to get back to us muppets with your weak link testing results.

By the way - douchebag... If our weak link is stronger than his - the way all tandems were last we heard anything on the subject - he comes out AHEAD on the safety equation 'cause...
Towing Aloft - 1998/01

I witnessed a tug pilot descend low over trees. His towline hit the trees and caught. His weak link broke but the bridle whipped around the towline and held it fast. The pilot was saved by the fact that the towline broke!
...the idiot doesn't hafta land with 250 feet of non weak link protected two thousand pound Spectra trailing behind him.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

My launch on Tuesday
Davis Straub - 2019/08/18 19:14:37 UTC

A couple of things.

All the hang glider pilots were going through what we all think is prop wash. You can see this in my video where I get "jiggled" a few second before the left wing gets lifted. We have multiple videos of this happening. I don't recall this being an issue in previous meets at Big Spring. Perajsp because we were mostly using tugs with 914 or 912 engines before. All 582's this time.

Mine was not the only occurrence like this one. It also happened to a Sport Class pilot a day earlier.

Because of the high density altitude and the weaker tugs we advised pilots to stay on the carts longer. This does present the problem of being on the cart when your wing gets lifted instead of being in the air where you are more likely to correct quickly.

I was pulled in to my chest as always.

On the next day I pulled into my waist on the cart and of course was pinned to the cart until I backed off.

I experienced prop wash every day lifted the cart up in it a couple of times but the cart came back down with me still attached until I pushed out a little to get off the cart after a long tow while on the cart.

Remember the wind was from the right a bit.

I was holding onto the cart on the right side after the lifted wing pulled my hand off the hose on the left side. Just before I launched I was reminded to hold on to the cart for an extended period.

Bobby was watching and would have released if I was endangering him.

I was answering Joe's questions right above my answer.

I have no idea what a time station is.
A couple of things.
Glad you could finally find the time to give us something of substance on this one.
All the hang glider pilots...
Oh, you had actual hang glider pilots flying at that one? Not just fellow dopes on ropes? Can you name them for us?
...were going through what we all think is prop wash.
You had thirty streamers lining the runway, the usual half dozen GoPros on all the gliders, and you couldn't tell for sure? If the gliders were feeling it and the tugs weren't it was prop wash.
You can see this in my video where I get "jiggled" a few second before the left wing gets lifted.
05-0221 - 07-0321
ImageImage
We have multiple videos of this happening.
Complete with tip drags? Must've been a real fun meet.
I don't recall this being an issue in previous meets at Big Spring. Perajsp because we were mostly using tugs with 914 or 912 engines before.
So...

http://ozreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9230
Departing the launch cart
Jim Rooney - 2007/09/01 02:39:53 UTC

Which brings us to the reason to have a 914 in the first place... you need one.
Something made you get a 914 instead of a 582. 914s are horribly expensive to own and maintain. If you own one, you need it... it's a safety thing. Short runways, tall trees, whatever. You've got a 914 to increase your safety margin.
More power on takeoff is a GOOD thing?

So...

http://www.chgpa.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3661
Flying the 914 Dragonfly
Jim Rooney - 2008/12/06 20:01:49 UTC

You will only ever need full throttle for the first 50ft of a tandem tow. Don't ever pull a solo at full throttle... they will not be able to climb with you. You can tow them at 28mph and you'll still leave them in the dust... they just won't be able to climb with you... weaklinks will go left and right.
How were you able to keep the gliders climbing out with them, the weak links from going left and right?
All 582's this time.
Sounds much safer and more practical to me.
Mine was not the only occurrence like this one. It also happened to a Sport Class pilot a day earlier.
You had two tip dragging near fatals in the space of two days? Sounds like you need a better risk mitigation plan.

http://ozreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9230
Departing the launch cart
Jim Rooney - 2007/09/01 02:39:53 UTC

Which brings us to the reason to have a 914 in the first place... you need one.
Something made you get a 914 instead of a 582. 914s are horribly expensive to own and maintain. If you own one, you need it... it's a safety thing. Short runways, tall trees, whatever. You've got a 914 to increase your safety margin.
Maybe one that specifies 914s and Tad-O-Links.
Because of the high density altitude and the weaker tugs we advised pilots to stay on the carts longer.
Aren't you supposed to be staying on the carts until you have safe airspeed anyway? Regardless of density altitude, tailwind, tug power? Or is everybody just staying on the cart for the usual number of seconds?
This does present the problem of being on the cart when your wing gets lifted...
Why is this a problem? Isn't that the whole purpose of having a cart with hold-downs?
...instead of being in the air where you are more likely to correct quickly.
Cocked on your ear, headed in the wrong direction, with no airspeed - the way you did.
I was pulled in to my chest as always.
With no regard for density altitude and airspeed.
On the next day I pulled into my waist on the cart and of course was pinned to the cart until I backed off.
You mean the way all AT launches are supposed to be conducted?
I experienced prop wash every day lifted the cart up in it a couple of times but the cart came back down with me still attached until I pushed out a little to get off the cart after a long tow while on the cart.
- Great sentence, Davis. Keep up the great work.
- Oh, so you ended up staying on the cart until you'd built up a safe airspeed margin? Wish I'd thought of doing that.
Remember the wind was from the right a bit.
On the incident flight I remember it was from the left...

22-1002 - 29-1622
ImageImage

...a bit. (Dyslexia sure would explain a few things.)
I was holding onto the cart on the right side after the lifted wing pulled my hand off the hose on the left side.
You're supposed to be holding on securely enough to lift the cart if you have to. That's the whole Idea of hold-downs.
Just before I launched I was reminded to hold on to the cart for an extended period.
Maybe they should've screamed this AT 101 fundamental issue at you a little louder.
Bobby was watching and would have released if I was endangering him.
- But he was perfectly fine watching you locking out and almost killing yourself. Guess Bobby really is a fucking genius when it comes to this shit.

- Watching what? Why does he need to watch anything but the horizon in front of him to determine whether or not he's being endangered?

- But you weren't watching Bobby so you could release yourself if you were endangering him?

http://ozreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=31052
Poll on weaklinks
Davis Straub - 2013/03/10 14:09:22 UTC

I've had no problem releasing my barrel release hundreds of times.
Just when the shit starts hitting the fan and it starts to actually matter...

http://ozreport.com/pub/images/fingerlakesaccident2.jpg
http://ozreport.com/pub/images/fingerlakesaccident3.jpg

Right Davis?
I was answering Joe's questions right above my answer.
That also makes a great deal of sense.
I have no idea what a time station is.
It's a common hang gliding term. We talk about them all the time. Also in lotsa sci-fi movies. And here I was thinking you'd been at an around all this plenty long enough to understand what's what and who's who.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

My launch on Tuesday
Joe Faust - 2019/08/18 20:10:41 UTC

The video has a start and a finish; let the start be at 0 seconds. Then define "time stations" at say 1-second of video progress, or station at 2 seconds of video progress. Etc. At what point (time station) in the video progress or run would you instruct self release knowing what you know now about your experience, if any? Thanks, Davis.
The video has a start and a finish...
No shit. What will they think of next.
...let the start be at 0 seconds.
I would prefer it to be five seconds. Let's put it up for a vote.
Then define "time stations" at say 1-second of video progress, or station at 2 seconds of video progress. Etc.
That's so much more fun than just saying "Is there any point in the launch at which it should've been aborted?
At what point (time station) in the video progress or run would you instruct self release knowing what you know now about your experience, if any? Thanks, Davis.
Thanks Joe, we don't get nearly enough eyestrain and headaches going through these things without contributions such as these.
Gerry Grossnegger - 2019/08/18 20:48:07 UTC

The prop can sometimes kick up a chunk of heated air that was sitting on the pavement and throw it in your face.
I hate it when that happens. Sometimes also when it hits my wing. (What a load o' crap.)
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

My launch on Tuesday
Davis Straub - 2019/08/18 21:58:05 UTC

As soon as the wing lifted on the left.
And yet...
Davis Straub - 2019/08/18 19:14:37 UTC

All the hang glider pilots were going through what we all think is prop wash. You can see this in my video where I get "jiggled" a few second before the left wing gets lifted. We have multiple videos of this happening.
We don't have one single report of:
- a launch being aborted by anybody at either end of the string
- another incident resulting in damage or injury to pilot or glider
- an appropriate weak link increasing the safety of the towing operation

Knowing what you know now? That you were gonna let the left hold-down slip from your hand? If I knew that I was gonna let the left hold-down slip from my hand I'd make sure not to let fucking left hold-down slip from my hand. Then I wouldn't have to get back on the cart with no fucking clue as to what might go wrong this time.

Liar. You know goddam well that neither you nor anybody else flying your shit excuse for equipment will have a snowball's chance in hell of aborting in any emergency situation.

http://ozreport.com/pub/images/fingerlakesaccident2.jpg
http://ozreport.com/pub/images/fingerlakesaccident3.jpg

That's why most of the relevant discussion is focused on Bobby...

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7509/15659143120_a9aae8f7bd_o.jpg

...aborting the tow for his dope on the rope.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

http://www.chgpa.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3600
Weak link question
Jim Rooney - 2008/11/24 05:18:15 UTC

Well, I'm assuming there was some guff about the tug pilot's right of refusal?
Gee, didn't think we'd have to delve into "pilot in command"... I figured that one's pretty well understood in a flying community.

It's quite simple.
The tug is a certified aircraft... the glider is an unpowered ultralight vehicle. The tug pilot is the pilot in command. You are a passenger. You have the same rights and responsibilities as a skydiver.
It's a bitter pill I'm sure, but there you have it.

BTW, if you think I'm just spouting theory here, I've personally refused to tow a flight park owner over this very issue. I didn't want to clash, but I wasn't towing him. Yup, he wanted to tow with a doubled up weaklink. He eventually towed (behind me) with a single and sorry to disappoint any drama mongers, we're still friends. And lone gun crazy Rooney? Ten other tow pilots turned him down that day for the same reason.
And who to better illustrate this relationship than...

07-0321 - 18-0801
ImageImage

Davis Dead-On Straub. (Hey Bobby... Looks like your passenger/skydiver is having some problems back there. Maybe flick on the seat belts light. Or better yet... Squeeze the release lever to fix whatever's going on back there and eliminate him as an aeronautical and legal problem for you.)

Hey Jim... Looks like a lot of tow pilots / Pilots In Command are pulling Tad-O-Links - crap that never breaks when it's supposed to. Any comment?
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

My launch on Tuesday
Joe Faust - 2019/08/18 22:55:45 UTC

Thanks. Then:

Great. Glad we got that issue properly settled. Now we can properly amend our SOPs to get all our tug and glider pilots, instructors and students on the right page.
Davis Straub - 2019/08/19 00:04:27 UTC

They proposed it.
WHO proposed WHAT? I propose all you douchebags go fuck yourselves.
The tugs were rarely off the ground before the hang glider pilots.
Why should the tugs EVER be off the ground before the hang glider "pilots"?
Brad Gryder - 2019/08/19 0:19:20 UTC

In order to minimize readers' confusion, here is what was proposed:

"If the tug pilot knows that the hang glider pilots are planning to hold on to the dollies longer than normal, he will interpret this as a "fly faster during launch" request and accomodate likewise.
Ideally, the hang glider pilot should always keep the tug on the horizon.
You don't want to begin your flight with the tug way above the horizon, then being forced to zoom up to match his altitude."

I apologize for the confusion I might have caused by getting this post out of order. I was trying to think of a better way to write it without sounding like the Big Spring Team wasn't on top of things there.

I can tell from the video that the tug is flying faster than normal and climbing more gradual than normal.
In order to minimize readers' confusion...
How could any readers possibly be confused about ANYTHING in this thread?
...here is what was proposed:
By whom? What are their qualifications? If you mean the assholes running this show I'm not real impressed.
"If the tug pilot knows that the hang glider pilots are planning to hold on to the dollies longer than normal, he will interpret this as a "fly faster during launch" request and accomodate likewise.
Ideally, the hang glider pilot should always keep the tug on the horizon.
You don't want to begin your flight with the tug way above the horizon, then being forced to zoom up to match his altitude."
What a load o' crap. How 'bout instead we have competent pilots primarily worrying about flying their own planes as safely and efficiently as possible?
I apologize for the confusion I might have caused by getting this post out of order.
What's it matter? The whole thread's total lunacy anyway. This was a total fringe activity incident.
I was trying to think...
Not really your forte. Maybe try another hobby.
...of a better way to write it without sounding like the Big Spring Team wasn't on top of things there.
What could possibly give that impression? I'm sure they had a really good risk management plan in place (to help balance things out with respect to all the total crap equipment they were mandating).
I can tell from the video that the tug is flying faster than normal and climbing more gradual than normal.
And yet Davis manages to:

14-0614 - 19-0815
ImageImage

Go figure.
Joe Faust - 2019/08/19 01:10:32 UTC

Staying to starboard with oblique posture?

Whoa! Let's recommend that people not do that. Maybe maintain grips on the hold-downs and a low angle of attack until they have crisp airspeed as well.

Is this a joke ?
Cragin Shelton - 2011/09/03 23:57:33 UTC

Do you REALLY think that there has been no progress in knowledge about the practical applied physics and engineering of hang gliding in 37 years?
I REALLY think we're going backwards at an ever accelerating rate. (Funny I'm not seeing any of you Capitol Club dickheads involved in this thread.)
---
P.S. - 2019/08/19 02:10:00 UTC

Joe,

Thanks much for catching and notifying me of my posting errors:

...says about all off Davis's highly touted...
...Remember that days when...

The extensive work I do... It won't make any signicant difference. If it were going to it would've a decade and a half ago. Actually if there'd been any possibility of it making any difference somebody else would've already done it long before then.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

My launch on Tuesday
Davis Straub - 2019/08/19 2:33:26 UTC

Holding the harness off the concrete.
What if you just kicked into the boot, zipped up, stayed prone like you're gonna be doing and staying anyway after the tow's over? Oh, right... You have to be prepared the focal point of your safe towing system increasing the safety of the towing operation. Maybe try hooking the foot corresponding to the hold-down you're gonna let slip out of your hand next time.
Learned years ago from the Dutch team in Hay, Australia.
Mike Nooy's old outfit. How's he doing nowadays?

P.S. Concrete? Do you still have to tell the tug pilot if you're doubling up your Davis Link? And how's the coincidence issue been going?