Releases

General discussion about the sport of hang gliding
Tad Eareckson

Re: Releases

Post by Tad Eareckson »

http://westcoastbrit.blogspot.com/2013/05/a-couple-of-weeks-ago-i-had-experience.html
Lock out on tow
Ben Dunn - 2013/05/23 05:57 UTC

A couple of weeks ago I had an experience I'd rather not repeat. I think there are some lessons that can be learned, so I'll share. In short it was a hang gliding launch that went wrong. I got away with it but just barely, I was exposed to far more risk than I was comfortable with...

The day seemed fairly harmless, wind was SE on the ground at 5-15 mph a little gusty - but that's Texas. Above 200 feet it was probably S @ 20 mph. Air was unusually cold for the wind direction. I had already taken one flight.

I came out of the cart very smoothly, level and perfect airspeed. Just as I was starting to relax into the tow, I got whacked on the right wing. That made me climb and yaw significantly left. With full right weight-shift I came back into line (though I was still high). Just then the second surge hit, this lift was a lot more turbulent.

I went to pin of with my right hand, I was already too high, and surging upward, right after taking my hand off the bar the right wing rapidly lifted.

I was happy that Joel beat me too it and gave me the rope. As you can see from the sequence below, I had quite a bit of energy from the sling shot effect, but also with the air being pretty radical. Even off line I continued to be pitched up despite pulling in. All to soon I was without airspeed in a bad sideslip, I think the images are two seconds apart. So the sideslip was about four seconds (that's a lot - I was begining to think I would side slip to the ground).

The nose did come around as I dumped the VG, and I was flying low right back into the air that had caused all this, downwind and I was dragging the 180 foot tow line. I was a pretty unhappy chap!

I think some of the nasty air actually helped get my glider back into the wind for a no step (check your underware) landing. I'm not for a moment going to claim full authority over the glider. From roll out to kissing the ground was less than a minute.

So what can be learned from all this ? We certainly are exposed to a higher level of risk from 20-80 feet on tow. Are there things that increased my exposure? After having mulled over this a while I'd say there were three different possibly companding factors.

1. I think I was flying with too much VG (4/5) This compromised my roll control.

2. I had a camera on my sprog, and I've noticed before at high airspeed, the handling does weird stuff (probably on acount of the zipper being open and air pressure changing the camber).

3. In Luling we tow at higher airpseeds, this narrows the envelope that a glider should be in behind the tug. Which in turn will reduce the amount of turbulence that can be handled.

I think each of these factors on there own are innocuous, but combined had a dramatic result. I'd rather not do that again.
Tom Lanning - 07:09

Thanks for sharing such an intense and eye-opening experience. Glad it worked out ok and that you learned something without much cost.
Ben Dunn - 2013/06/01 09:52

Right-on Tom. I hope others can learn something too. Being leery of open zippers for one. It's like flying with a swimming pool of air in your sail! I've had it three times now. Not good speed gliding near terrain or on a fast tow. Probably good for a mag article?
Glen Volk - 2013/06/03 06:31

Holy Smokes Lad. I almost puked.

See you at SCFR?
Charles Smith - 2013/06/03 07:21

Would the ability to release without having to let go of the control bar made much difference?
Anonymous - 2013/06/03 07:31
right after taking my hand off the bar the right wing rapidly lifted
you would have been probably more confortable with a mouth release or a 2 points with a lanyard already in your hand..
We all should.
Thank you, God.
Steve Davy

Post by Steve Davy »

I think you've found the Mother lode there, Tad.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

http://westcoastbrit.blogspot.com/2013/05/a-couple-of-weeks-ago-i-had-experience.html
Lock out on tow
Ben Dunn - 2013/05/23 05:57

A couple of weeks ago I had an experience I'd rather not repeat.
You'll be fine. Just keep going up with the same equipment in the same air and expecting different results. And if there was shit that worked any better than what you have...

http://ozreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=30971
Zach Marzec
Jim Rooney - 2013/02/12 18:00:27 UTC

I just buried my friend and you want me to have a nice little discussion about pure speculation about his accident so that some dude that's got a pet project wants to push his theories?

Deltaman loves his mouth release.
BFD

I get tired as hell "refuting" all these mouth release and "strong link" arguments. Dig through the forums if you want that. I've been doing it for years but unfortunately the peddlers are religious in their beliefs so they find justification any way they can to "prove" their stuff. This is known as "Confirmation Bias"... seeking data to support your theory... it's back-asswards. Guess what? The shit doesn't work. If it did, we'd be using it everywhere. But it doesn't stand the test of reality.
...we'd be using it everywhere. But it doesn't stand the test of reality - the way your equipment obviously does so spectacularly.
I think there are some lessons that can be learned, so I'll share.
I think that since you're a tandem instructor...
Ben Dunn - 69162 - Canyon Lake, Texas - H4 - 2001/09/21 - George Reeves - AT FL ST TFL AWCL CL FSL RLF TUR XC - BAS INST, MNTR, TAND INST
...and thus an Aerotow Industry shit you're gonna blow a load of crap in our faces to divert attention away from the shit Industry Standard equipment that damn near got your off the scale sleazy ass killed.
In short it was a hang gliding launch that went wrong.
No it wasn't. It was a hang glider launch that went exactly like it was supposed to - as can be predicted from decades of fatality reports. All your previous uneventful ones have been uneventful only because you've been lucking out better.
I got away with it but just barely...
And the only reason I'm the least bit happy that you didn't end up back on the runway as the second terminally mangled pulp in a little over three months this season is because you've given us an account of what happened - and deprived Joel and whatever other assholes were hanging around that airport from writing this off as another inexplicable freak accident probably precipitated by a dust devil.
I was exposed to far more risk than I was comfortable with...
YOU exposed YOURSELF to that risk - as you do EVERY TIME YOU LAUNCH - motherfucker.
The day seemed fairly harmless...
Zach Marzec
Paul Tjaden - 2013/02/07

The weather conditions seemed quite benign. It was a typical winter day in central Florida with sunny skies, moderate temperatures and a light south west wind.
...wind was SE on the ground at 5-15 mph a little gusty - but that's Texas. Above 200 feet it was probably S @ 20 mph. Air was unusually cold for the wind direction. I had already taken...
...gotten away with...
...one flight.
One more than Zack Marzec got.
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8394/8696380718_787dbc0005_o.png
I came out of the cart very smoothly, level and perfect airspeed. Just as I was starting to relax into the tow...
Sounds like you get relaxed on tow a lot sooner than I get relaxed on tow. And MY equipment DOESN'T totally suck.
...I got whacked on the right wing. That made me climb...
That MADE you climb? Would it have made you climb if you had had a two point bridle to help hold the nose down and trimmed the basetube to under in front of your face...

http://ozreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=32324
Control Bar Position At Trim
Alan Deikman - 2013/06/03 21:27:32 UTC
Fremont

After not flying for a long time I went flying yesterday and noticed (perhaps I hadn't noticed before because I was used to it) that the control bar was "above" my head when I was hands-off. The Sport 2 flies fine like that and won't stall until I push out farther than that.
...instead of...

...back beyond your sternum?
...and yaw significantly left.
Aren't you a pro toad?

http://www.ozreport.com/9.133
Lesson from an aerotow accident report
Steve Wendt - 2005/05/29

This time she couldn't find her v-bridle top line with her weak link installed for her priimary keel release. She chose to tow anyway, and just go from the shoulders, which to my knowledge she had never done before, nor had she been trained to understand potential problems. This could have been done with a short clinic and if we thought it a possibility, been done under supervised conditions in the evening air.
Hadn't you been trained in a short clinic under supervised conditions in the evening air to understand the problems of being a pro toad and be able to hold the nose down a lot better?
With full right weight-shift I came back into line (though I was still high).
STILL too high? I'da thunk you'd have been able to figure out on your own how to get the nose down by this time.
Just then the second surge hit, this lift was a lot more turbulent.
It was probably a dust devil. Nuthin' you can really do about dust devils.
I went to pin of with my right hand, I was already too high, and surging upward...
What if you used a TWO point bridle to trim the nose down? No, wait. Then people would think you weren't really a pro and start deriding your testicles.
...right after taking my hand off the bar...
http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=25527
Mouth AT Releases
Zack C - 2012/03/14 05:29:01 UTC

And if you're just approaching a lockout, taking a hand off the bar could be the very thing that puts you into a lockout.
...the right wing rapidly lifted.
- No shit. Who'da thunk.

- BULLSHIT.

http://www.kite-enterprises.com/articles/tow_release_wars.htm
Dave Broyles

Now getting to the main issue. To take the hand off the control bar to release or not. It has not been my experience that having to remove a hand momentarily to operate a release causes a problem for a pilot with experience. Why? Because the glider in flight, being surrounded by several tons of air takes several seconds to react to any change. Thus there is ample time for a pilot to operate a release or even slap a 3-string release that is hanging.
-- Having to remove a hand momentarily to operate a release will not cause a problem for a pilot with experience. The glider in flight, being surrounded by several tons of air, takes several seconds to react to any change. Thus there is ample time for a pilot to operate a release or even slap a three-string release that is hanging.

-- A lot of pilots are afraid to take away one hand from a bar while the bar pressure is scary high. They think the glider immediately will do something bad.

Zach Marzec
Viktor Moroz - 2013/02/09 17:26:52 UTC

A lot of pilots are afraid to take away one hand from a bar while the bar pressure is scary high. They think the glider immediately will do something bad. It's a delusion.
It's a delusion.

- So how come you didn't use your 130 pound Greenspot instant hands free release? How come you didn't just...

http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=14230
pro tow set-up
Jim Rooney - 2009/11/03 06:16:56 UTC

As for being in a situation where you can't or don't want to let go, Ryan's got the right idea. They're called "weak" links for a reason. Overload that puppy and you bet your ass it's going to break.

You can tell me till you're blue in the face about situations where it theoretically won't let go or you can drone on and on about how "weaklinks only protect the glider" (which is BS btw)... and I can tell ya... I could give a crap, cuz just pitch out abruptly and that little piece of string doesn't have a chance in hell. Take your theory and shove it... I'm saving my a$$.
...pitch out abruptly, overload that puppy, and save your ass?

- I'm a bit surprised that...
Towing Aloft - 1998/01

Weak links very clearly will provide protection from excessive angles of attack, high bank turns and the like for this form of towing.
http://www.wallaby.com/aerotow_primer.php
Wallaby Ranch - 2013/06/03

Aerotow Primer for Experienced Pilots

If you fail to maintain the correct tow position (centered, with the wheels of the tug on the horizon), the weak link will break before you can get into too much trouble.
http://ozreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=24534
It's a wrap
Lauren Tjaden - 2011/08/01 02:01:06 UTC

For whomever asked about the function of a weak link, it is to release the glider and plane from each other when the tow forces become greater than desirable -- whether that is due to a lockout or a malfunction of equipment or whatever. This can save a glider, a tow pilot, or more often, a hang glider pilot who does not get off of tow when he or she gets too far out of whack.
...you got that far out of whack in the first place. Are you sure you didn't have your weak link accidentally...
Paul Tjaden - 2013/02/02

There was some talk about the possibility that Zack may have had his weak link doubled over making it stronger than a normal weak link.
...doubled over making it stronger than a normal weak link?
If you're gonna keep flying that high over the tug you might wanna consider investing in a Koch two stage.
I was happy that Joel (Froehlich) beat me too it and gave me the rope.
- You had your hand mid flight between the basetube and your bent pin barrel "release" and you STILL couldn't get rid of the rope before Joel did your job for you from 180 feet away while flying another plane and watching you in a mirror?

- So how come Joel didn't wind up on HIS ear when he actuated HIS release? Oh, right. He blows HIS release with a lever on the joystick. Never mind.
As you can see from the sequence below, I had quite a bit of energy from the sling shot effect, but also with the air being pretty radical. Even off line I continued to be pitched up despite pulling in.
Think maybe you'd have been better off at this point if you'd been on a two point bridle when the shit hit the fan? Just kidding.
All to soon I was without airspeed in a bad sideslip, I think the images are two seconds apart.
Must be A LOT longer apart than that. With the glider surrounded my several tons of air there's very little significant that happens in under five seconds or so.
So the sideslip...

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-UPkISEEUwdo/UZ4IQe5IA7I/AAAAAAAAGyE/8MxVNrVPFsA/s2543/GOPR1196C.JPG

...was about four seconds (that's a lot - I was begining to think I would side slip to the ground).
Dennis Pagen - 2005/01

The glider instantly whipped to the side in a wingover maneuver. I cleared the buildings, but came very close to the ground at the bottom of the wingover.
The nose did come around...

...as I dumped the VG...
Seems like you're able to dump VG tension in an emergency a lot better than you're able to dump the towline in an emergency. Any thoughts on why that is?
...and I was flying low right back into the air that had caused all this...
Bullshit, motherfucker. It was your inability to HANDLE that air - due entirely to the dangerous compromises you made with your cheap shit "equipment" - that caused all that.
...downwind and I was dragging the 180 foot tow line.
- Seems like you're able to dump VG tension in an emergency a lot better than you're able to dump the towline in an emergency. Any thoughts on why that is?

- Maybe it would've been a better idea to prioritize dumping the towline over dumping the VG.

- Maybe with a two point bridle and a heavy weak link you'd have been able to...
Towing Aloft - 1998/01

Pro Tip: Always thank the tug pilot for intentionally releasing you, even if you feel you could have ridden it out. He should be given a vote of confidence that he made a good decision in the interest of your safety.
...ride out the tow and would not - at this point - be back into the nasty air landing downwind with 180 feet of Spectra draped over your basetube. No, wait. That's just...

http://www.chgpa.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2467
weak links
Jim Rooney - 2007/08/01 19:49:30 UTC

It's more of this crappy argument that being on tow is somehow safer than being off tow.
...more of this crappy argument that being on tow is somehow safer than being off tow.
I was a pretty unhappy chap!
Yeah, but...

http://www.chgpa.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2467
weak links
Jim Rooney - 2007/08/01 13:47:23 UTC

Whatever's going on back there, I can fix it by giving you the rope.
Towing Aloft - 1998/01

Pro Tip: Always thank the tug pilot for intentionally releasing you, even if you feel you could have ridden it out. He should be given a vote of confidence that he made a good decision in the interest of your safety.
What are ya gonna do?
I think some of the nasty air actually helped get my glider back into the wind for a no step (check your underware) landing.
So you had the luxury of dumping your VG during what you thought might be a fatal stall and rotating upright for a standup landing on airport grass...

http://ozreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=27086
Steve Pearson on landings
Steve Pearson - 2012/03/28 23:26:05 UTC

I can't control the glider in strong air with my hands at shoulder or ear height and I'd rather land on my belly with my hands on the basetube than get turned downwind.
...in potentially dangerous conditions but not of dumping the towline?
I'm not for a moment going to claim full authority over the glider.
Really?

You weren't trying to do that?
From roll out to kissing the ground was less than a minute.
That's probably about what Zack Marzec got....

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-bRrpHNa68iY/UQ6Pv9gRZyI/AAAAAAAAjTg/Hc22bx5122Q/s2048/20943781_BG1.jpg

...before he kissed the ground.
So what can be learned from all this ?
I have absolutely no fucking idea. When I was totally unable to learn anything from the Zack Marzec fatality earlier this year I totally gave up on trying to learn things.
We certainly are exposed to a higher level of risk from 20-80 feet on tow.
More risk than twenty to eighty feet when...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYe3YmdIQTM
tow.MPG
larswet - 2012/02/26
16-0605
18-0627
23-0817
25-0907
26-0914
27-0919
31-0923

...not on tow? Sounds pretty scary.
Are there things that increased my exposure?
Yes, but if you were stupid enough to be pro toad on a Rooney Link into thermal conditions after what had happened three months prior I don't think there's much point in discussing them.
After having mulled over this a while I'd say there were three different possibly companding factors.
Companding factors. Some of aviation's biggest killers.
1. I think I was flying with too much VG (4/5) This compromised my roll control.
Yeah. That's EXACTLY what I was thinking.
I went to pin of with my right hand, I was already too high, and surging upward, right after taking my hand off the bar the right wing rapidly lifted.
With eighty percent VG a wing can rapidly lift and it's almost impossible to get it back down.
2. I had a camera on my sprog, and I've noticed before at high airspeed, the handling does weird stuff (probably on acount of the zipper being open and air pressure changing the camber).
What kind of weird stuff does it do to your glider when you're megastalled?
3. In Luling we tow at higher airpseeds, this narrows the envelope that a glider should be in behind the tug. Which in turn will reduce the amount of turbulence that can be handled.
- Just stay in the Cone of Safety - you'll be fine. And use fin.
- Wanna say anything about towline length? Just kidding.
I think each of these factors on there own are innocuous, but combined had a dramatic result. I'd rather not do that again.
You couldn't make up stuff like this with a gun to your head. Thirty-three years ago it would've been totally impossible for this level of total lunacy to exist.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

Yeah Steve, it doesn't get much better than this one. We can demolish Rooney, Davis, and their cult members with it - like we did when Zack Marzec bought it. It won't change much but it DOES push their credibility a little farther down the toilet.

Do whatever you feel you can, guys. Every time the opposition opens its mouth it digs itself in deeper. And Rooney doesn't have five percent of the brains he needs to know when to shut the fuck up and make himself as inconspicuous as possible.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

Lock out on tow
Tom Lanning - 2013/05/23 07:09

Thanks for sharing such an intense and eye-opening experience.
Intense? Yes. Eye opening? Rubbish. We've been seeing bullshit like this since the advent of Hewett based towing.
Glad it worked out ok and that you learned something without much cost.
What was learned? What do expect to see anyone doing differently as a result of this? If the motherfucker had been killed and the video had been put up we might have seen one or two people rethinking things a little?
Ben Dunn - 2013/06/01 09:52

Right-on Tom. I hope others can learn something too.
Go fuck yourself.
Being leery of open zippers for one. It's like flying with a swimming pool of air in your sail!
Yeah. And...
Dr. Trisa Tilletti - 2012/06

Without shock absorption, a Spectra bridle acts somewhat like an impact wrench on the weak link.
...without shock absorption, a Spectra bridle acts somewhat like an impact wrench on the weak link.

Go fuck yourself.
I've had it three times now. Not good speed gliding near terrain or on a fast tow.
Go fuck yourself.
Probably good for a mag article?
Definitely. There's nothing that USHGA loves more than moronic fictional articles that distract everyone from deadly systemic issues and are totally devoid of any hint of controversy.
Glen Volk - 2013/06/03 06:31

Holy Smokes Lad. I almost puked.
Christmas in June.
See you at SCFR?
Undoubtedly.

http://ozreport.com/12.080
No one makes it back - Santa Cruz Flats Race, day two
Davis Straub - 2008/04/22 06:02:32 UTC
Francisco Grande, Casa Grande, Arizona

We were launching in light cross winds. I got on the cart but noticed that the back was too high. I ignored it and off we went. Then the glider was stuck to the cart. I finally jiggled it off the cart, but zoomed right up and blew the weaklink. Now I had to land down wind or cross wind. I tried hard as I could to get the glider to turn into the wind, but no luck (as I was only twenty feet high). So I just flared at the last second and that worked, although I was covered in dust.

I was not the only one breaking weaklinks as it seemed for a while every third pilot was having this problem. You've got to get the keel cradle set right.
Then you fuckin' assholes can spend some more quality time talking all about:

http://ozreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=31052
Poll on weaklinks
Davis Straub - 2013/03/06 18:29:05 UTC

You know, after all this discussion I'm now convinced that it is a very good idea to treat the weaklink as a release, that that is exactly what we do when we have a weaklink on one side of a pro tow bridle. That that is exactly what has happened to me in a number of situations and that the whole business about a weaklink only for the glider not breaking isn't really the case nor a good idea for hang gliding.

I'm happy to have a relatively weak weaklink, and have never had a serious problem with the Greenspot 130, just an inconvenience now and then.
- what a very good idea it is to treat the weak link as a release, which is exactly what you do when you have a weak link on one side of a pro tow bridle

- the whole business about a weak link only for the glider not breaking isn't really the case nor a good idea for hang gliding

Would the ability to release without having to let go of the control bar made much difference?
Fuck no. Just make sure the zippers are all fully closed. You'll be fine.
Anonymous - 2013/06/03 07:31
right after taking my hand off the bar the right wing rapidly lifted
you would have been probably more confortable with a mouth release or a 2 points with a lanyard already in your hand..
We all should.
Hey Antoine... This guy seems to be making a lot of sense. Any chance you could track him down and get him on the team?
Mark Frasca - 2013/06/03 10:00

Damn Ben, glad it worked out in the end. How much zipper did you have open?
Enough to roll the glider beyond ninety. It's imperative that you check those zippers very carefully before you put your glider on the cart.
Ome Ga - 2013/06/03 14:03

Another big risk that you didn't mention is if the tow rope caught on something on the ground while you were still attached to it. I don't even want to think about what would have happened in that case.
Just use a really light weak link. That way the towline snags it won't be a big fucking deal.
On his surface tow rig, Pat Denevan has us rig an automatic release. If you go too far out of line with the tow rope it releases automatically.
1. And then you'll be fine! Can't imagine why EVERYBODY isn't using these things.

Ben HAD a device which dumped him off tow as he was REACHING FOR HIS RELEASE - it was the tug's release. The results looked like THIS:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-9Ek9_lFeSII/UZ4KuB0MUSI/AAAAAAAAGyU/eWfhGo4QeqY/s1024/GOPR5278.JPG
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3725/9665623251_612b921d70_o.png
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-Xh_NfnOcUns/UZ4Lm0HvXnI/AAAAAAAAGyk/0PlgrHfc__M/s1024/GOPR5279.JPG

2. A bit odd that a real safety conscious and innovative guy like Pat isn't contributing to any of these discussions, don't ya think?
Would this work for aero-tow?
I'm sure it would! But...
Wallaby Ranch - 2013/06/04

If you fail to maintain the correct tow position (centered, with the wheels of the tug on the horizon), the weak link will break before you can get into too much trouble.
Why bother?
Ben Dunn - 2013/06/03 17:59

Some good questions and comments here.
Go fuck yourself.
1. 2 point release (or actually 3).
Go fuck yourself.
Every system has it's pitfalls.
Every system that you pieces of shit allow into the air anyway. Go fuck yourself.
A 3 point release has partial tow from the keel...
A third of the tow force. The shoulders also each get a third. That's why they call it a three point bridle.
...if you hit a gust, the yank force is distributed better.
Right. It's only an advantage if you hit a gust.
The pro-tow (I was using)...
Real professional looking...

...dude.
...generates a nose up rotational inertia (bad). A 3 point tow would have helped in this situation.
How very odd that after all that mulling over you did you didn't mention that as one of he companding factors.
2. A brake handle release may have gained me 1/4 of a second, which this close to a tumble could make a big difference.
- Yeah...

http://www.chgpa.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3107
I have a tandem rating!!!
Lauren Tjaden - 2008/03/23 22:20:15

When Jim got me locked out to the right, I couldn't keep the pitch of the glider with one hand for more than a second (the pressure was a zillion pounds, more or less), but the F'ing release slid around when I tried to hit it.
Right.

- And of course it's gotta be a fuckin' lever on the downtube. It can't be a...

http://www.nanoavionic.com/
http://www.getoffrelease.com/

...button on the basetube. We certainly wouldn't wanna try to do anything to optimize the system. Take out to much risk and...
Mitch Shipley - 2012/10/22 19:04:16 UTC
Quest Air

We engage in a sport that has risk and that is part of the attraction.
...the sport loses most of its attractiveness.
Mouth release - I've seen a tooth lost that way, the day before his daughters wedding...
- What kind of idiot piece of junk are you talking about that resulted in a lost tooth?
- What? He was just flying along and it pulled one of his teeth out?
- So how come we don't hear anything about Mosquito harness throttles knocking teeth out?
better than a tumble though...
But not worth a plug for any of the stuff...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/psucvollibre/6948550271
http://www.flickr.com/photos/psucvollibre/6948557519/

...Antoine is doing.
3. I had about 1/3 to a half of the outer zipper open.
Yeah, let's talk about zippers some more. All that talk about bridles and releases was giving me a headache.
I'm sure different glider are effected differently. Something to be leery of especially at high speeds. I don't think I'll do this on a fast tow again.
Bullshit.
4. the auto release - not really designed with aerotow in mind.
Not really designed with reality in mind.
I think it could release at in opportune times...
Bullshit. There's no such thing as an inopportune time.

http://ozreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=31052
Poll on weaklinks
Jim Rooney - 2013/03/05 01:32:20 UTC

You want the strongest weaklink you can have.
I want you to have the weakest one practical.. I don't care how much it inconveniences you.
I don't trust you as a rule. You Trust you , but I don't and shouldn't.
The worst a time can ever be is inconvenient.
...but also not during a lockout.
And, as we all well know...
Jerry Forburger - 1990/10

High line tensions reduce the pilot's ability to control the glider and we all know that the killer "lockout" is caused by high towline tension.
As long as as we've got a Rooney Link in the system we've got lockouts pretty well covered.
5. Dragging a rope is always bad. I would have released it had I not been flying 60 mph downwind through a dustdevil, at trees.
- Nah, I don't worry about dragging a rope until I'm going downwind with an eighty mile per hour groundspeed.
- Told ya we'd turn this thermal into a dust devil.
I chose instead to fly the glider, since I could not do both.
No...

http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=20529
Shane Smith - RIP
Mark Knight - 2011/01/17 23:59:32 UTC
Arizona

I was not there, I can only tell you what I have been told.

He was scooter towing and using a barrel release.

The release bridle got caught in the weak link loop at the end of the tow line.

The rope was cut by the operator.

The rope went slack and he made a 90 degree turn away from the turnaround pulley and the rope caught something else on the ground causing lockout.
...shit.
Stephan Mentler - 2013/06/03 18:49

Hey brother, that looked scary. I am thinking the sprog zipper was the biggest culprit inducing the roll over / pitch down.
Yeah. Right. No fuckin' WAY something like that could've happened without...
Joe Gregor - 2004/09

2004/06/26 14:00 - Mike Haas - Advanced - 53 - Litesport 147 - W 5 mph, thermally - Hang Glide Chicago - Cushing Field - Sheridan, Illinois

The weak link broke after the glider entered a lockout attitude. Once free, the glider was reportedly too low (50-65' AGL, estimated) to recover from the unusual attitude and impacted the ground in a steep dive. The pilot suffered fatal injuries due to blunt trauma.
http://www.chgpa.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3648
Oh no! more on weak links
Carlos Weill - 2008/11/30 19:24:09 UTC

I heard a snap, and then just like the sound of a WWII plane just shut down hurdling to the ground, only the ball of fire was missing. The tug weak link broke off at 1000ft, in less than a second the glider was at 500ft.
...a spog zipper being open.
I think it was Eric Williams at the Rob Kells last year who saw that my sprog zipper was open while getting hooked up to tow. He closed it and pointed out that it affects pitch stability and was aware of a pilot that nosed in because of that mistake.
Right. Whenever we see gliders nosing in...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkElZMhpmp0

...we should probably be thinking sprog zippers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuMxK9PadzA

"DAMN! Forgot to close my sprog zipper. AGAIN!"
You might want to check with him to get the facts.
I think if any of you sprog zipper contingent assholes were exposed to more than a fact or two at any given moment you'd break out in rashes.
Gordon Rigg - 2013/06/04 23:12

Glad you are ok.

If you want to hang stuff out of the sprog zips fit two zippers so you can keep the zip snug round the camera bracket.
You mean like THIS?:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/aerotowrelease/8305999131/
Anonymous - 2013/06/03 00:05

Hi Ben,
I read about zip and VG but I would insist on the bad "Standard" equipment. For me it is clearly unsuitable to face critical events as yours.
http://ozreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=27494
The exciting bits
Jim Gaar - 2012/04/27 03:34:28 UTC

Weak-links break! They are supposed to...we are ready for that. It's what we do.
A brake handle release may have gained me 1/4 of a second...
If the tug released first, you probably lost more than 0.25sec by
1-waiting before to decide to take your hand off the bar despite the necessity to pull it fully.
2-reaching a release not already in your hand (I rather thought a lanyard already in your hand than a brake lever) or in your mouth.

You lost time AND you made the event worse cause if you're just approaching a lockout, taking a hand off the bar could be the very thing that puts you into a lockout.
Mouth release - I've seen a tooth lost that way
No way to loose any of your teeth here :
http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=25527
It'll be interesting to see how/if this sleazebag responds. One thing I can one hundred percent guarantee you though - the motherfucker has ZERO interest in fixing the problem and EVERY motivation for portraying the way things are being done now as perfectly safe.

(Did you notice how much Ben and Joel participated in the Zack Marzec discussions?)
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

Lock out on tow
Ben Dunn - 2013/06/04 05:33

This comment has been removed by the author.
Anybody catch that before it disappeared?
Ben Dunn - 2013/06/04 05:35

A second zipper is a good idea, I've flown with it half open (for the camera) probably 50 times, its seems only an issue at high speed.
Just how fast was the Dragonfly pulling you?
But You never know when you might have to go high speed, so yeah a second Zipper is a good idea. I was cutting a corner there.
Understrength Dragonfly weak link, one point tow, bent pin barrel releases, shoddy overlength bridle, and Rooney Link pitch and lockout limiter. And you were cutting corners on THE ZIPPER.
Someone also pointed out more tell tales might have shown the approaching dust devil, it might not, but certainly not a bad idea.
We didn't hear this was a dust devil in the initial report. And we haven't heard the slightest scrap of evidence that this was a dust devil subsequently.
That mouth release looks interesting, I'm leery of complexity.
- Then get rid of your GoPro camera, FlyTec vario, pod harness, double surface sail, leading edge insert, cambered and undersurface battens, tip wands, sprogs, and launch dolly - along with the built-in Dragonfly release system that saved your stupid useless ass when, at the expense of rolling your glider a wee bit upside down, you attempted to actuate the nice simple Bailey release right there on your right shoulder.

- Right, you just never know what kind of trouble you could get in with a release design more complex than some piece of crap thrown together in forty-five seconds out of a length of nylon webbing, a short fat chunk of aluminum tubing, and a bent parachute pin.

http://www.chgpa.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=939
Weak link breaks?
Jim Rooney - 2005/08/31 23:46:25 UTC

As with many changes in avaition, change is approached with a bit of skepticism. Rightfully so. There's something to be said for "tried and true" methods... by strapping on somehting new, you become a test pilot. The unknown and unforseen become your greatest risk factors. It's up to each of us to individually asses the risks/rewards for ourselves.
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-9Ek9_lFeSII/UZ4KuB0MUSI/AAAAAAAAGyU/eWfhGo4QeqY/s1024/GOPR5278.JPG
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3725/9665623251_612b921d70_o.png
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-Xh_NfnOcUns/UZ4Lm0HvXnI/AAAAAAAAGyk/0PlgrHfc__M/s1024/GOPR5279.JPG

There's a lot to be said for "tried and true" methods. Best stick with what you've got. The death toll of test pilots flying experimental gear is...

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-bRrpHNa68iY/UQ6Pv9gRZyI/AAAAAAAAjTg/Hc22bx5122Q/s2048/20943781_BG1.jpg

...truly staggering.
Having been involved in towing Hang gliders for 23 years I seen some odd things you'd never imagine happening.
Yeah?

- So why don't you describe one so I can see if it's something I'd have trouble imagining? After having watched gliders going up behind Dragonflies for damn near that entire timespan with front end weak links protecting tow mast breakaways, bicycle brake levers velcroed to downtubes, shoddy overlength bridles, bent pin barrel releases, and Rooney Link pitch and lockout limiters I really don't believe I'd have much trouble imagining ANYTHING.

- Have you seen anything odder than THIS:

http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=21033
barrels release without any tension except weight of rope..
Bart Weghorst - 2011/02/25 19:06:26 UTC

I've had it once where the pin had bent inside the barrel from excessive tow force. My weaklink was still intact. The tug pilot's weaklink broke so I had the rope. I had to use two hands to get the pin out of the barrel.

No stress because I was high.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/aerotowrelease/8331326948/

How come you're not leery of stuff that can just be used stress free when you're up high?
But this looks like something worth trying.
That multi-string release looked worth trying over eight years ago when Steve Kinsley first developed and publicized it. So why didn't you try it then? A few feet lower and it would've made the difference between you flying away from the tow fairly level and being scraped up off the runway and bagged. And he was trying to give them away for free.
Of course preventing a lockout is always better than treating the symptom.
Any chance we can stop talking about sprog zippers now?
skypuppy - 2013/06/04 05:57

Soooo glad you pulled it out of the pooper and lived to tell the tale!

I'm convinced...
Hang glider towing is entirely fairly simple and easily understood physics. And whenever somebody says that he's "convinced" about a hang glider towing issue that means he's got no fuckin' clue what's going on and has "convinced" himself of something he wants to believe virtually always at the expense of science and data.
...that the brake handle release is the quickest and most reliable way to go.
See?

http://www.chgpa.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3648
Oh no! more on weak links
Carlos Weill - 2008/11/30 19:24:09 UTC

On June of 2008 during a fast tow, I noticed I was getting out of alignment, but I was able to come back to it. The second time it happen I saw the tug line 45 deg off to the left and was not able to align the glider again I tried to release but my body was off centered and could not reach the release. I kept trying and was close to 90 deg. All these happen very quickly, as anyone that has experienced a lock out would tell you. I heard a snap, and then just like the sound of a WWII plane just shut down hurdling to the ground, only the ball of fire was missing. The tug weak link broke off at 1000ft, in less than a second the glider was at 500ft.
Toldyaso.
I can slap the handle without even looking and have my hand back on the base bar in the blink of an eye.
Yeah Puppy, it's really AMAZING what you can CONVINCE yourself of when the shit ISN'T hitting the fan.
Joe Gregor - 2004/09

There is no evidence that the pilot made an attempt to release from tow prior to the weak link break, the gate was found closed on the Wallaby-style tow release.
Good strategy for reassuring yourself that everything will be fine when it is.
The small amount of drag is well worth the benefits, IMHO.
Asshole.
Kingstilts - 2013/06/04 08:42

Golly! Most fortunate that you had a little altitude and an attentive tug pilot.
Why would an attentive tug pilot fly somebody on the exact same:
- bridle / weak link combo that killed Zack Marzec three months prior?
- bridle / release combo that almost killed Dennis Pagen?
- release that half killed Holly Korzilius and fully killed Steve Elliot?
Clearly, an experienced pilot's first instincts, in a tight spot, are to "fly the glider" (with both hands).
Fuck "INSTINCTS".

- This is AVIATION. And for any given situation there's single best response.

- And - barring issues related to standup and spot landings because people are trained to respond in the worst possible manner - people halfway competent at flying hang gliders are pretty good at making the right calls.

- And the right call in pretty much any situation in any flavor of aviation is "fly the glider" - or other aircraft of choice.

- "With both hands" is redundant. If you're not flying the glider with both hands you're not flying the glider at all.
An emergency procedure that requires a release of grip will cause both delay and compromise of control.
An emergency procedure that requires a release of grip is NOT an emergency procedure. It's a total cessation of aviation. It's an instant demotion of the Pilot In Command to Passenger or Victim status: THIS:

is a passenger connected to a plummeting object. He won't become a Pilot In Command again until his plummeting object falls far enough to achieve the speed it needs to become a flying object again.
An inflated sail causes pitch instability.
Funny he didn't report the glider as being pitch unstable BEFORE he tried to fly it with one hand.
The nose cone of my LiteSpeed came free during a flight a few years back and the glider was almost unflyable.
- But you didn't go down like a fuckin' brick.
- An open sprog zipper is NOT a missing nose cone.
I mount a camera at the sprog junction with the leading edge. I simply reversed the Zipper joiner and it closes pretty snug.
Great. Leave it open sometime and see if it makes any difference.

I had always heard how critical the tip strut was on a Comet type glider. One day I broke a repaired one when I was out on the dunes. Ten mile an hour breeze, long shallow slope, soft dry sand, what's the worst that could happen, what the fuck... Guess what.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

http://ozreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=32318
Lock Out
"Lockout" is one word, Davis.
Deltaman - 2013/06/03 14:48:19 UTC
Ben Dunn - 2013/05/23 05:57 UTC

Jim Gaar - 2013/06/03 14:59:16 UTC

YIKES!

Yes IMHO WAY too much VG.
Yeah, that was UNDOUBTEDLY a major part of the issue - especially given that...

Lock out on tow

In Luling we tow at higher airpseeds...
...in Luling they tow at higher "airpseeds".
It's always nice not to have to let go to release. Have you tried the lanyard style release?
You mean THIS:

http://ozreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14903
New Lookout Release--preliminary test
Jim Gaar - 2009/02/16 03:01:21 UTC

I hail the new release. I see improvements over the competition. It's good to see progress in a sport rumored to be in it's golden years.
...lanyard "STYLE" release?

http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=22540
LMFP release dysfunction
deltaman - 2011/07/14 08:33:59 UTC

LMFP RELEASE
U$139.95
http://estore.hanglide.com/Aerotow_Primary_Release_p/14-9004.htm

After several dysfunctions encountered by tandem, using a V-bridle and a 145kg wl on the apex, so a maximum load of 83kg on this primary release, I sent 3 times this email to fly@hanglide.com (LMFP contact) without any answer !!! :
Hello

I recently purchased one of your Aerotow Primary Releases for use in aerotowing tandem gliders. We conduct a tandem aerotowing operation just south of Paris, France.

We have been having considerable trouble releasing when the line is under high tension. It takes considerable effort to pull the Rope-Loop release, often requiring two or three violent tugs on the loop. Obviously, this is a considerable safety concern.

One possible reason for the difficulty is the fact that there is some play in the barrel, which does not fit 100% snugly against the main block. When there is tension on the line, the release catch tilts the barrel very slightly, which may have the effect of increasing friction and causing the barrel to catch (there is very slight burring on the main release block as a result of this tendancy).

I would appreciate any feedback you may have on this problem. If this is not an isolated case, and is in fact a design flaw that you have rectified in subsequent models, I would like to know the procedure for acquiring the updated model. If it is simply a problem with this particular item then I would like to have it replaced.

I look forward to your reply.

Regards
I bought with a friend 2 of them. He recieved them and never sent me this you can't consult before to have paid :
GT Manufacturing Inc. (GT) and Lookout Mountain Flight Park Inc. (LMFP) make no claim of serviceability of this tow equipment. There is no product liability insurance covering this gear and we do not warrant this gear as suitable for towing anything. We make no claim of serviceability in any way and recommend that you do not use this aerotow gear if you are not absolutely sure how to use it and or if you are unwilling to assume the risk. Towing and flying hang gliders is inherently dangerous.

If properly used, there is a minimum of three ways to release from the towline. Do not depend on any of these ways by themselves and fly with a back up. The first release is the primary release which under certain situations may fail, second, is the secondary release that works most of the time, if all is set up correctly, and third, the weak link which will break under the right load. You should also fly with a hook knife that will allow you to cut the line if need be.

GT and LMFP Inc. assume no liability for the function and serviceability of this equipment. If you are uncomfortable with the risk of using this tow gear you will need to get gear that you are comfortable with or do not tow. There is an inherent risk in towing hang gliders that you must assume if you want to use this gear and you want to tow. Learn and understand the risk and the use of this gear. Your safety depends on it.

The new GT aerotow release, new as of July 11th 2009, is designed to be used with a V bridle and a 13O-pound green stripe Dacron tournament fishing line weak link. At this time it is not recommended to use this release with a higher value weak link. We are confident that with an ultimate load of 130 pounds at the release point, the new GT aerotow release works better than all cable releases that we have experience with.
Incredible ! That's for sure not the definition of a suitable and reliable release !!

In France, this type of warning is worthless in terms of justice.
From here we have the image of a U.S. court where the issue of money is fundamental and can ruin your life.
The way to do of LMFP is totally unreasonable not to mention the fact that they did a version 2.0 and work on a v3.0 without making any safety advert for their customers !
From where I live, I already know 2 other US pilots who had trouble !!
Stop !
Yeah Rodie, I really hail the new release too.
Jim Gaar - 2011/07/14 15:40:13 UTC

In a litigious society like the U.S. it's all part of the game. If you don't like it, you just take your ball and go home...

This is the reality of the sport we love. "Always the student". Learn how to use it or don't. You just missed out on what every American pilot already knows from birth.

We assume risk every day. Sometimes with a LMFP release. Hope you get your issues ironed out.
Thanks for the great insight into the way you arrived at 130 pound Greenspot as the ideal one-size-fits-all...

Zach Marzec
Jim Gaar - 2013/02/19 16:10:15 UTC

Regardless of these facts, the general rules (weaklink calculations) set down by the FAA and sailplane towing was still the calculation that we used as a base to determine if we felt a stronger weaklink was necessary for each and every individual flight.
...standard aerotow weak link.
I have one for sale for $80.
I'll bet...

http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=22540
LMFP release dysfunction
Jim Gaar - 2013/02/19 16:10:15 UTC

The classified section is ready if you don't.
...you do.
Good to see positive results from this.
Fer sure. I'm sure we'll soon be seeing a lot more gliders towing with:
- lower VG settings
- more fully closed sprog zippers
- lighter weak links
from now on.
NMERider - 2013/06/03 18:46:41 UTC

FYI Pilots-
Hanging a camera from near the trailing edge may cause a glider to roll in the opposite direction due to the trim-tab effect of the camera's weight increasing the AoA on that side. It's worth placing a similar amount of weight or camera on the opposing side in the same manner to balance out this effect. I have had this happen to me and it became worse at tighter VG setting and at higher speeds.

I am doubtful that having the zipper partially open has any noticeable effect since the sheer ribs and lower surface battens all help to maintain the airfoil's intended shape and any air-scoop effect would be minimal.
Any thoughts on any issues...

...that wouldn't have been negligible?

Any thoughts on reducing the probability of another aerotowed glider locking out and going down...

http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=13745
Good News vs Sad News
NMERider - 2009/10/01 22:31:04 UTC

IIRC - Tad has already worn out his welcome on the Oz Report over his AT release mechanism, and so it seems he has come here to preach his gospel of safety according to Tad. The prize of course will either be delivered by the HMS Beagle or can be found on the Gallapagos Islands.
...like a fuckin' brick - asshole?
Thank you Ben for posting the details and surviving the melee.
I too am most grateful for having total douchebag Tandem Instructors going up on known dangerous junk that responsible people have been screaming about for decades nearly killing themselves with it and coming back to make a better world for us all by starting discussions about VG settings and sprog zippers.
Also thumbs up to Joel for releasing the tow rope promptly!
Yeah. Great job TX Joel! Especially since you didn't have to. Nobody EVER considers the tug driver to have been the tiniest bit responsible when he tows an incompetent and/or dangerously equipped glider to its death - or kills a someone who IS doing a good job with his extra safe front end weak link or by making a good decision in the interest of his safety.

And extra thanks for participating in these discussions and providing such valuable input and feedback.
Alan Deikman - 2013/06/03 20:56:58 UTC
Fremont

That picture will give me nightmares.
Will it give you nightmares enough to motivate you to DO anything to prevent the next disaster we WILL HAVE as people continue flying this crap? I don't recall you participating in any of the post Lois Preston or Zack Marzec discussions.

---

Everybody notice just how VERY CONSPICUOUSLY *ABSENT* Mister James Keen-Intellect Rooney has been from this Davis Show "discussion" that fizzled out a wee bit over twenty-four hours ago after seven short replies - six of which were totally useless?

If this had happened on anything other than US Industry Standard crap using anything five or more pounds heavier than 130 pound Greenspot can you even BEGIN to IMAGINE the FIELD DAY...

http://ozreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=22308
Better mouse trap(release)?
Jim Rooney - 2010/12/16 18:47:05 UTC

Oh, I've heard the "everything we do is an experiment" line before.
The trouble is, it's not.

I've seen experimentation with towing gear more than anything else in HG.
I've not seen many go out and try to build their own sails for example. When someone does, they're very quickly "shown the light" by the community. Example... the guy that was building the PVC glider in California somewhere.
But for some reason, towing gear is exempt from this.

The difference is what we do has been done by thousands of people already. It's been tested... a lot.
What we do is free of the experimentation part.
It's still dangerous, but not at the level of building new gear is. Not even close.

That's what people fail to realize.
It's no small difference. It's a huge chasm.

Notice how I'm not saying to not do it.
Go forth and experiment. That's great... that's how we improve things.
I'm just warning you of that chasm.

A few years ago, I started refusing to tow people with home made gear.
I like the idea of improving gear, but the lack of appreciation for the world they were stepping into didn't sit with me.
For example... flying with the new gear in mid day conditions?
Are you kidding me????

Approach it for what it is... completely untested and very experimental gear which will likely fail in new and unforseen ways as it tries it's damndest to kill you... and then we can talk.
...he'd be having right now?

But, as it is, if he blesses us with so much as a single syllable of...

http://ozreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=22660
What can be learned from this "scooter" towing accident?
Mitch Shipley - 2011/01/31 15:22:59 UTC

The tow line to release interface

Jim, as I am starting to play with Elektra Tow (ET) at Quest Air (the battery powered "scooter" tow system you and Adam got me jazzed up about up at Highland) I've watched this thread closely. We all can learn.

Enjoy your posts, as always, and find your comments solid, based on hundreds of hours / tows of experience and backed up by a keen intellect/knowledge of the issues when it comes to most things in general and hang gliding AT/Towing in particular. Wanted to go on record in case anyone reading wanted to know one persons comments they should give weight to.
...his infinite wisdom he's gonna get his head - with his genitalia stuffed in its mouth - handed to him on a platter in under seven seconds.

If anybody wants to draw him in we can have a lot of fun with him - and anybody stupid enough to stay aligned with him.

P.S. I recorded Jim Rooney and TX Joel as both being logged into The Davis Show at 2013/06/04 19:50:42 UTC.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=29274
release
Tiberiu Szollosi - 2013/06/15 00:08:40 UTC
Chicagoland

Anyone ever use one of these !?

http://www.nanoavionic.com/
http://www.getoffrelease.com/

Why would you want ANOTHER release? You ALREADY have the finest release mechanism the Aerotowing Industry has been able to develop - through extensive trail and error over quite literally hundreds of thousands of tows - in over two decades.

http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=14230
pro tow set-up
Jim Rooney - 2009/11/03 06:16:56 UTC

As for being in a situation where you can't or don't want to let go, Ryan's got the right idea. They're called "weak" links for a reason. Overload that puppy and you bet your ass it's going to break.

You can tell me till you're blue in the face about situations where it theoretically won't let go or you can drone on and on about how "weaklinks only protect the glider" (which is BS btw)... and I can tell ya... I could give a crap, cuz just pitch out abruptly and that little piece of string doesn't have a chance in hell. Take your theory and shove it... I'm saving my a$$.
Just pitch out abruptly and that little piece of string doesn't have a chance in hell.

http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=26922
Towing release's.
Zack C - 2012/08/19 19:10:26 UTC

The type of towing and bridle configuration is significant. For aerotowing with a keel attachment, Joe Street's GetOff release is the best I've found.

http://ozreport.com/1327514388
http://ozreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=26440
Yeah, right. And just how long do you think its track record is?

Zach Marzec
Jim Rooney - 2013/02/12 18:00:27 UTC

Guess what? The shit doesn't work. If it did, we'd be using it everywhere. But it doesn't stand the test of reality.
Guess what? This shit doesn't work. If it did, we'd be using it everywhere. But it doesn't stand the test of reality.

Hey Tiberiu... Why are you asking here? Not entirely happy with what your friendly neighborhood tow park is telling and selling you?

Opportunity, guys. Do what you can to plug this thing, get some safe equipment into the air, and keep some Industry Standard crap gathering dust on the shelves.

P.S. And while you're at it get him off the fucking Marzec Link.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

http://ozreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1143
Death at Tocumwal
Davis Straub - 2006/01/24 12:27:32 UTC

Bill Moyes argues that you should not have to move your hand from the base bar to release. That is because your natural inclination is to continue to hold onto the base bar in tough conditions and to try to fly the glider when you should be releasing.

Guess your natural inclination was to continue to hold onto the base bar in a tough situation and to try to fly the glider when you should've been releasing, huh Davis?

Nothing to do with no fuckin' way being able to get to either the lever on your downtube or barrel on your shoulder - the way people who AREN'T in the businesses of selling, promoting, justifying shit equipment always report when THEY'VE been able to survive something unpleasant?
---
Edit - 2013/06/15 17:43:16 UTC

Oops. Just checked and discovered that this is pretty much a rerun of:
http://www.kitestrings.org/post269.html#p269
Oh well, if hang gliding itself weren't permanently stuck in loop mode...
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=29274
release
Bob Flynn - 2013/06/15 05:44:16 UTC
San Diego

Never saw one before. Interesting design.
Yeah Bob...

http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=11497
Aerotow release options?
John Glime - 2009/04/13 18:09:32 UTC
Salt Lake City

Not being constructive? There is one person who has put more thought and time into releases than anyone. That person is Tad. He explains the pros and cons to every release out there. I gave you the link to more release information than the average person could ever digest, and I didn't get a thank you. Just you bitching that we aren't being constructive. What more could you want? He has created something that is a solution, but no one is using it... apparently you aren't interested either. So what gives??? What do you want us to tell you? Your concerns echo Tad's concerns, so why not use his system? Every other system out there has known flaws.
As a matter of fact I had a bit of influence on / participation in its development. But...

http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=12403
weak link table
ian9toes - 2009/06/14 15:18:37 UTC
Gold Coast

I strongly disagree with banning the one guy who has the most knowledge about safety issues involving what I believe is the most dangerous part of our sport. I hear someone dies every year from towing. I hope SG bites his tongue in the interest of public safety. Maybe just changing the heading of the post to, Blatant plug for aerotow weaklink. Does anyone really think he stands to get rich out of selling these, I don't think so. I suspect his main motivation is to save some lives and to not have all his hard work gone to waste. Keep the cocky bastard on I say Image
http://www.hanggliding.org/wiki/HG_ORG_Mission_Statement
HangGliding.Org Rules and Policies
No posts or links about Bob K, Scott C Wise, Tad Eareckson and related people, or their material. ALL SUCH POSTS WILL BE IMMEDIATELY DELETED. These people are poison to this sport and are permanently banned from this site in every possible way imaginable.
http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=25302
Interview with Davis Straub, OzReport founder
Jack Axaopoulos - 2012/02/24 15:00:21 UTC

The "Extremist 1%" is not allowed on this site.
The Extremist One Percent is not allowed on that site. So you're not gonna be getting as much of a discussion on it as you might in a group that DOESN'T have intellectual castration as a core principle.

Maybe he should come over here where I dredge out the BOTTOM 99 percent. No Sams, Bobs (no relation), or testosterone poisoning cases to sabotage the discussions.