Breaking USHPA's Monopoly Control of Flying Sites

General discussion about the sport of hang gliding
bobk

Re: NOT about Breaking USHPA's Monopoly Control of Flying Si

Post by bobk »

Looky here. We're not talking about "Breaking USHPA's Monopoly Control of Flying Sites" in the topic (oddly) titled "Breaking USHPA's Monopoly Control of Flying Sites".

Nope. We're talking about Tad and towing and whatever Tad wants to talk about. Tad. Tad. Tad.

Any topic on started on KiteStrings that doesn't revolve around Tad ... soon will. The proof is right in this topic.

FYI: I've renamed this topic with a "NOT about" prefix, and I've restarted my original topic with my original post. Bet Tad can't leave that one stay on topic either. Prove me right again Tad!!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Steve Davy

Re: Breaking USHPA's Monopoly Control of Flying Sites

Post by Steve Davy »

Who are the beneficiaries of this breaking of USHPA's monopoly control of flying sites, Bob?
bobk

Post by bobk »

Fair question. The easy answer is everyone ... even USHPA.

A monopoly breaks the underlying assumption of choice in a free market system. The U.S. economy is largely left to sort itself out based on consumers choosing. Consumer choice is a very efficient and highly diversified regulation mechanism. That consumer-based regulatory system doesn't work without consumer choice. It's literally Econ 101.

USHPA lost its insurance (actually, they lost the members' insurance) largely because USHPA was insensitive to voices calling for better oversight in several critical areas of operation. If those voices had choices, their exit from USHPA would have revealed a bigger problem than USHPA could see (or at least was willing to see).

In a sense, a monopoly blinds itself to the problems of its customers. Better Directors might have been able to "see" through their blindness, but USHPA Directors with that kind of x-ray vision are driven out in favor of sheeple who are easily herded by the "USHPA Insiders Club". With competition, they would either get it right or go extinct. Without competition, they continue to make the same mistakes.
Steve Davy

Post by Steve Davy »

Sounds to me like USHPA is on a path to extinction. Do you agree, Bob?
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

So Bob, here's the note you inserted at the top of your/the first post in this "Breaking USHPA's Monopoly Control of Flying Sites" topic when you changed its title to "NOT about Breaking USHPA's Monopoly Control of Flying Sites" and started a new "Breaking USHPA's Monopoly Control of Flying Sites" with a duplicate lead-off post at:

http://www.kitestrings.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=95
Bob Kuczewski - 2017/11/13 02:33:20 UTC

Note: Topic title changed on November 12th 2017 to better reflect topic content and to allow creation of a new topic about USHPA's monopoly. Please post about USHPA's monopoly in the new topic and about everything else in this topic.
And here's the note you amended to the duplicate lead-off post in the new (now purged and locked) "Breaking USHPA's Monopoly Control of Flying Sites" topic:
Bob Kuczewski - 2017/11/13 02:35:07 UTC

Please stay on topic. There's a similarly titled topic for anyone who feels compelled to make off-topic posts. I request proper moderation to keep this discussion on this topic.
between your/the last sentence and "Thank you."
And see:

http://www.kitestrings.org/post10730.html#p10730
The Tad Show

for relevant commentary.
Bob Kuczewski - 2017/11/13 02:33:20 UTC

Note: Topic title changed on November 12th 2017...
No it wasn't. It was changed 2017/11/13 02:33:20 UTC. California isn't the fucking Center of the Universe and there are a couple dozen time zones wrapped around the planet and we have participants in widely dispersed ones and undoubtedly readers in the majority of them. So Greenwich is the standard so's everyone can easily figure out what time we're talking about.
...to better reflect topic content and to allow creation of a new topic about USHPA's monopoly.
You don't get to get away with creating new topics whenever you feel like it. I reconnected your wire as a courtesy to allow you better access to Kite Strings on condition that you didn't post. And you IMMEDIATELY violated that condition. And when I decided to cut you some slack you went into envelope pushing mode, violated policy, created placeholder posts, deleted posts, edited posts to modify and alter content, spammed us while we were dealing with the Tapatalk crisis, created two new topics. And I don't even wanna think about how many hours you sucked out of my life with respect to dealing with this latest act of forum vandalism.
Please post about USHPA's monopoly in the new topic and about everything else in this topic.
Nope.
Bob Kuczewski - 2017/11/13 02:40:07 UTC

Looky here. We're not talking about "Breaking USHPA's Monopoly Control of Flying Sites" in the topic (oddly) titled "Breaking USHPA's Monopoly Control of Flying Sites".
Looky here. Now "we're" not talking about anything here.
Nope. We're talking about Tad and towing and whatever Tad wants to talk about. Tad. Tad. Tad.

Any topic on started on KiteStrings that doesn't revolve around Tad ... soon will. The proof is right in this topic.
At what point did you reach this conclusion? And if it was:
- prior to 2017/08/04 06:51:08 UTC what was your purpose in posting here?
- subsequent to 2017/08/04 06:51:08 UTC what was your purpose in continuing to post here on this issue?
FYI: I've renamed this topic with a "NOT about" prefix, and I've restarted my original topic with my original post. Bet Tad can't leave that one stay on topic either. Prove me right again Tad!!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Done. Happy now? What's your next move?
Steve Davy - 2017/11/13 03:19:27 UTC

Who are the beneficiaries of this breaking of USHPA's monopoly control of flying sites, Bob?
A few dinosaurs who wanna fly upright straight out from a thirty foot beach dune so they can finally get their flare timing perfected on the two days of the week when Joe Greblo permits them to use his county park at Dockweiler.
Bob Kuczewski - 2017/11/13 04:23:26 UTC

Fair question. The easy answer is everyone ... even USHPA.
(Not, of course, unrepentant child molesters. But that obviously goes without saying.)
A monopoly breaks the underlying assumption of choice in a free market system. The U.S. economy is largely left to sort itself out based on consumers choosing. Consumer choice is a very efficient and highly diversified regulation mechanism. That consumer-based regulatory system doesn't work without consumer choice. It's literally Econ 101.
Yeah. Like the way we see it operating in the three independent flight parks...

http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=27393
Pro towing: 1 barrel release + weak link or 2 barrel release
Juan Saa - 2012/10/18 01:19:49 UTC

The normal braking force in pounds for a weak link is around 180, at least that is the regular weak link line used at most aerotow operations. By adding a second weak link to your bridal you are cutting the load on each link by half, meaning that the weak link will not break at the intended 180 pounds but it will need about 360.
If that is what you use and is what your instructor approved then I have no business on interfering, i dont know if you are using the same weak link material but there shoul be only ONE weak link on a tow bridle for it to be effective in breaking before higher loads are put into you and the glider should the glider gets to an attitude or off track so much that the safety fuse of the link is needed to break you free from the tug.

I made the same mistake on putting two weak links thinking that I was adding protection to my setup and I was corrected by two instructors on separate occacions at Quest Air and at the Florida RIdge.
...in Florida.

(Bob will of course say that Juan obviously just misunderstood his corrections by two instructors on separate occacions at Quest Air and at the Florida RIdge and ignore any questions about why, then, are they qualifying and flying students with totally lunatic understandings of tow "pressure" transmission.

(Also note (I just caught this) that the purpose of the weak link is to break before higher loads are put into you and the glider should the glider gets to an attitude or off track so much that the safety fuse of the link is needed to break you free from the tug. NOTHING, of course, about...
Tost Flugzeuggerätebau

Weak links protect your aircraft against overloading.
...protecting your aircraft against overloading.)
USHPA lost its insurance (actually, they lost the members' insurance) largely because USHPA was insensitive to voices calling for better oversight in several critical areas of operation.
Other, of course, than any issues having anything to do with towing. Bob isn't an expert in towing, but he consulted someone who knows the topic pretty well. And that someone's comment was that while it might be good for u$hPa to make recommendations in this area, there is still plenty of room for innovation. For that reason, he didn't think u$hPa should mandate any kind of obligatory system that would stifle that innovation - whether Mr. Eareckson's or any other's. Bob has very little background in towing, so he's just passing this perspective on for your general consideration.
If those voices had choices, their exit from USHPA would have revealed a bigger problem than USHPA could see (or at least was willing to see).
Yeah, the problem with u$hPa is that it's unable to see problems. Not that it handles all problems that come its way with its corporate lawyer, shredder, ban buttons, expulsion hearings, concerns for the safety of people of varying ages.
In a sense, a monopoly blinds itself to the problems of its customers.
Bull fucking shit. It finds out everything that maims and kills its customers and make all the issues Standard Operating Procedures. We didn't get from:
Manned Kiting
The Basic Handbook of Tow Launched Hang Gliding
Daniel F. Poynter

"The greatest dangers are a rope break or a premature release." - Richard Johnson
to:
Towing Aloft - 1998/01

A weak link is the focal point of a safe towing system.

A weak link is a very simple device--typically a loop of line--that is intended to break in the event towline tensions exceed a safe or desired threshold.

A weak link is required that will not break needlessly in response to moderate thermals, or pilot inputs, yet will break at a low enough point to avoid disaster or excessive pilot panic.

"It is infinitely better to have a weak link break too soon rather than too late."
-- Towing Proverb

A weak link is a fuse that protects the equipment--your body!--on an overloaded circuit.

Always use a weak link when towing--WEAK LINKS SAVE LIVES.

Of course, your weak link should break before the lockout becomes too severe, but that assumes a properly applied weak link.

Pro Tip: Always thank the tug pilot for intentionally releasing you, even if you feel you could have ridden it out. He should be given a vote of confidence that he made a good decision in the interest of your safety.
by accident.
Better Directors might have been able to "see" through their blindness, but USHPA Directors with that kind of x-ray vision are driven out in favor of sheeple who are easily herded by the "USHPA Insiders Club".
Not Bob though. Bob isn't an expert in towing, but he consulted someone who knows the topic pretty well. And that someone's comment was that while it might be good for u$hPa to make recommendations in this area, there is still plenty of room for innovation. For that reason, he didn't think u$hPa should mandate any kind of obligatory system that would stifle that innovation - whether Mr. Eareckson's or any other's. Bob has very little background in towing, so he's just passing this perspective on for your general consideration.
With competition, they would either get it right or go extinct. Without competition, they continue to make the same mistakes.
Yeah, just look at the Orlando area Flight Park Mafia area example. Wallaby and Quest compete for market share, hate each others guts, spend over twenty years perfecting aerotowing, virtually eliminate any room for innovation.
Steve Davy - 2017/11/13 04:48:17 UTC

Sounds to me like USHPA is on a path to extinction. Do you agree, Bob?
Well yeah! Now that Tad has made this topic all about him and what he wants and thus prevented the US Hawks from emerging as an alternative National Hang Gliding Organization and fostering the kind of healthy marketplace competition this sport needs to survive.
Steve Davy

Post by Steve Davy »

Steve Davy wrote:
Bob Kuczewski wrote:Fort Funston would be a good site to liberate from USHPA's insurance monopoly. Are you up for that Steve?
http://www.flyfunston.org/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1738&p=4305
USHPA INSURANCE EMAIL 22OCT2015
Dan Brown - 2015/11/14 20:32:55 UTC

A number of years ago I contacted the Dept. of Interior attorney who was handling legal matters for the GGNRA about the insurance requirement. The GGNRA is part of Interior.

The attorney agreed that the insurance requirement was redundant because of the Recreational Use Immunity Statute. The Statute provides immunity for landowners allowing recreational users on their property. It does not apply to commercial users. The GGNRA rationale for the insurance is that it provides an extra layer of protection.
Card holding, USHPA rated, incompetent flier crashes into an innocent someone and that someone then files suit against USHPA. Other than some innocent bystander getting crashed into by a USHPA rated incompetent flier I don't have an issue with the above scenario, Bob.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOWyjvsP3H0

Card holding, USHPA rated, incompetent flier can not even manage to miss the Pacific Ocean. Fitting that USHPA should be on the hook for their incompetence.