General discussion about the sport of hang gliding
Tad Eareckson

Re: You are NEVER hooked in.

Post by Tad Eareckson »

http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=13359
Today was a bad day!
Mike Bomstad - 2009/08/26 04:21:15 UTC
Spokane

The harness is part of the aircraft... end of story.
(Just because it's easy to remove, does not mean it should be. Dont choose the path of least resistance)

Attach it to the wing, completing the aircraft.... then preflight the completed aircraft.
Buckle yourself into the cockpit and then your ready.
Yep, standard Aussie Methodist party line. Treat the hang glider the same way you would any other fixed wing aircraft - the harness is the cockpit, the cockpit is part of the aircraft, treat the assembly as a unit, (ignore the dust devils blowing through launch and) buckle yourself in, and then you're ready ('cause at this point there's no freakin' way you're not connected).

Bullshit.

What this approach fails to take into consideration is that the pilot is ALSO part of the aircraft when the aircraft is a hang glider.

A conventional aircraft can - and often does - have a gizmo that will fly it from here to Chicago if the pilot passes out drunk or falls off the wing after he steps out for a moment to take a pee. It needs a cockpit and a gizmo but doesn't really need a human on board - and can and may very well do a lot better without one. It doesn't like weight.

A hang glider, on the other hand, can fly for a while without a human but not under anything resembling control and/or for very long - especially if you throw a bit of turbulence into the equation. There are no autopilot systems for hang gliders 'cause they're WEIGHT SHIFT CONTROLLED aircraft. A hang glider requires dangling underneath it something heavy with muscles to keep all that square footage responding within or near to something in the ballpark of the specifications of its certification.

All hang gliders have placards which say "You must be THIS fat to go on this ride." And the LOWEST number I can find for THIS fat is 88 pounds.

Cessnas don't have placards which say that.

Furthermore...

A harness isn't even a remotely necessary component of a hang glider. Without one you can hop onto the basetube during takeoff and fly, turn, and land fairly comfortably while maintaining control authority virtually the same as you'd have suspended and proned out.

If you need to get off the mountain before you're engulfed by flames you'll be in a lot better shape if you're cut off from the harness than you will if you're cut off from the battens.

(And I'm also having a bit of a problem figuring out how you'd go about separating the cockpit from a Cessna.)

And also, Mike... I rather like paths of least resistance. They're always easier and often a lot safer than the stupid pointless ritual stuff - especially in high risk environments.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

http://ozreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13132
Unhooked Death Again - Change our Methods Now?
Hvan - 2009/01/26 00:37:24 UTC

We had a visiting pilot topland and to keep his harness off the ground he rested it on the exposed x-bar (glider: Gyro Mk II). When he went to relaunch he pulled the harness down over the x-bar, i.e. not back in the direction it was placed, thereby looping the hangstrap/harness over the x-bar. A hook-in check confirmed he was properly connected to the hang strap. Immediately after launching he was hanging high and in a big left turn with trim position aft of stall. This was only corrected by near full weight shift to the right and forward. The air was smooth, it was late afternoon, and the glider was very forgiving. He managed to keep the glider straight until slowing down for the final stages of the landing. How is such an outcome not dangerous? A hang check would have definitely discovered this problem prior to launching because he would have been hanging too high and to the left. That is the advantage, a hang check simulates the harness/hangstrap connection as it will be in-flight. Not how it looks of feels but how it functions.
A hook-in check confirmed he was properly connected to the hang strap.
Right. There was absolutely no chance the carabiner was only partially engaging the hang strap.
A hang check would have definitely discovered this problem prior to launching because he would have been hanging too high and to the left.
And just looking at the glider for a second or two wouldn't have?
That is the advantage, a hang check simulates the harness/hangstrap connection as it will be in-flight. Not how it looks of feels but how it functions.
Sorry, I missed the part where somebody actually LOOKS at it.

http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=22079
Hanging from velcro.........
Matt Christensen - 2011/06/02 00:21:46 UTC
Vienna, Virginia

After two days of flying, one of the pilots flying a borrowed glider requested a hang check, which he had done prior to every flight. During the hang check it was noticed that something looked odd with the hangstrap. Upon closer inspection it was found that the hang strap was attached to the keel using only velcro! :shock: A little tug on the velcro and the pilot dropped free.
So, aside from checking clearance, tell me again just what good hanging from the suspension while somebody holds your nose does for you. Tell how doing a hang check is a better use of your time than a visual inspection.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TTTFlymail/message/11704
Miller Stroud - 2011/07/15

I put together a video showing various surface tow launches of Rigids using a 2 stage release consisting of a line over the basetube and a line under the basetube. One of these releases is of my own design using 2 "Linknife" releases of which there is a photo on the group page. I included 3 launches that I do not like in an effort to show what not to do (A no flap takeoff, A crosswind take off, and a Not Hooked In takeoff (Not Me). My next video will be a close up of the release and how everything hooks up. Enjoy!

5:00
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcKebsmnVUk
4-50401
http://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7400/14178971732_128c78ab68_o.png
4-50401c

Three launches in which everyone's ASSUMING the diver's connected to the glider.
With each flight, demonstrates a method of establishing that pilot is hooked in JUST PRIOR TO LAUNCH.
Steve Davy

Post by Steve Davy »

Learn how to launch with a tight hang strap! There, problem solved.
Steve Davy

Post by Steve Davy »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T19GtqUnXDo

Someone said a "hang check is actually more dangerous" but I can't remember who said that.

http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=22608
I made a scary mistake.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

Raean Permenter - 1998/01/12 00:06

I talked with Bob's wife, Jeannie, and Bob Sunday morning. All considered, he's doing well. He's had two surgeries and had pins inserted in his wrists. The prognosis appears good. Jeannie said his injuries are broken bones in both wrists, a couple of fingers, right leg, and foot bones.

Jeannie is holding up, but is tired. At Jeannie's request, we'll use this list and just a couple of pilots as an information clearninghouse so Jeannie and Bob do not get overwhelmed with telephone calls. If you can pass on info about Bob to pilots not on the list, please do so.

The expectation now is that he'll be in the hospital in Johnstown for a week. Depending on his status, he might have to go to a rehab hospital from there, but will likely be allowed to go home. The army will supply a day nurse and necessary equipment, so his support system is good.
Judy McCarty - 1998/01/12 15:14

I was not there at the time of the incident, but arrived shortly thereafter. Bob launched unhooked at the Pulpit last Saturday morning. He met terra firma in the form of the rocks below launch. Others who know more would be welcome to speak.

He had not been in any particular rush to launch; time was not a factor. The three pilots who were serving as his wire crew are feeling pretty badly about the whole thing, as you can imagine.
Steve Kinsley - 1998/01/13 03:02

Devising a procedure that is proof against distractions and is appropriate in every situation is difficult. I favor hooking in before moving up to the ramp but I don't think there is a single, best answer. And I suspect any grand schemes to force wire crews or pilots to do things in a particular order will just increase the hassle factor and not affect safety.

Let me suggest two things:

1. Do a final dip or back step until you feel the strap tighten as part of picking up the glider to launch.

2. Most importantly, concentrate on what you are doing and refuse to be hurried or distracted."
Judy McCarty - 1998/01/29 20:05

Thanks to all for the good discussion that was had last night: constructive ideas, individual preferences, checklists, and the sobering reality check that it could/will happen again.

While a lot of discussion involved procedures with wire crews, there are still many instances when pilots launch sans. That last big Woodstock day in December, with dozens of pilots in attendance, is a good example. Pilots were around, busy setting up and hustling to get in launch line; I and many others self-launched. While I was in line I requested help from a setting-up pilot to hold the glider while I went down for a hang check, but there was no routine or system in place that day that would have backed me up if I'd missed it.

I don't do New Year's resolutions, but this year I have some January 29th resolutions:

1. Request that wire crews not interrupt my hook-in and hang check procedure. This may mean that I do two procedures--their's in addition to my own, but I should not allow their's to replace mine.

2. When joining up as wire crew assistance to a launch procedure already in motion, to not assume and always ask if the hang check has been done.

3. To personally implement the USHGA standard: "with each flight, pilot demonstrates method of establishing that pilot is hooked in *just prior* to launch." Over the past month many pilots have talked about what they do to assure that they launch hooked in. Some *always* hook the harness in to the glider before suiting up. Others always hook in *before* going to launch. Ok, so those methods don't work for me. But what *would* work for me is to do something every time right before I launch. I suspect I will need different methods for different sites, but this is something I believe I should be doing better.
Steve Kinsley - 1998/02/02 01:59

I would like to second Judy's hook in post. I particularly like the emphasis on implementing the USHGA standard of verifying that you are hooked in just prior to launch. In practice, that means a visual check or a tug on the harness lines after ALL CHECKLIST ITEMS (including a hang check) have been completed.

I started doing that after my near launch unhooked from High Rock several years ago. It works. I think I have a reasonable claim to being the world's most scatter-brained living hang glider pilot. But I can say that I don't think I am going to get my lunch by failing to hook in. You should be able to say the same. I have special knowledge when it comes to forgetting things. So trust me here. You need to do this.
Marc Fink - 1998/04/29 08:33

Screwed the pooch

Flew the rock on Monday with Steve where we encountered fairly strong and north cross conditions. Steve launched first and climbed out to roughly 2K, an altitude I could never reach during my entire flight. We both managed around 1.5 hours.

On the way out I stopped and visited with Bob Gillisse, who is doing remarkable well. He is moving his hands and walking about very well. I think he can't wait to start hang gliding again. When I left and drove home, I reflected on his situation, and the nature of our sport. I've always considered myself a meticulous pilot when it comes to preflight procedures, and have always stuck with a routine which I felt would prevent anything like that from happening to me.

Less than 24 hours later I would launch unhooked from High Point in Cumberland.

I was there with just a few pilots. Larry Huffman launched first into very light conditions, and had a very quick ride (for him) to the LZ due to light conditions. A line of pilots formed at launch. I had performed my usual preflight and self hook-in check before getting on launch behind the next pilot. Meanwhile, conditions went from questionably soarable to questionably launchable. The pilot in front of me waited for an ideal cycle to launch into, and didn't feel comfortable with the light conditions. After about twenty minutes or so of waiting I became uncomfortable and started trying to find a sit-down or kneeling position while still remaining hooked-in. Sometime during this process my radio slipped off my shoulder strap, and I had to readjust it.

I unhooked to do so and my fate was cast.

I became so distracted by the process of messing with my radio that I clean forgot to hook back in. Also, I was growing impatient with launching and pushed the pilot in front of me to launch. I got on launch and shortly thereafter saw a cycle that I felt I could reasonably launch into. I ran aggresively, and when I was going very fast I leaned forward to prone out while gently easing out on the basetube. I remember thinking for a split second how unusual it was that I was sinking fast towards the ground, despite the tremendous speed I had. The next second was something of a blur, as my harness finally contacted the ground and I perfomed a full sumersault into the rocks and bushes below launch. I heard a bang and some crunching, and my first thought was I had blown my launch when my gider contacted the ground.

I sat up expecting to see to see the twisted wreckage of my glider, but I was down in some brush and couldn't see anything. I then stood up and brushed myself off, and in a flash of incredulous disbelief I realized I had launched unhooked. I climbed back up to launch where I took my gear off and everybody asked me if I was OK. A quick survey revealed no major injuries, my full-face helmet once again saved my face and head from any damage.

My Laminar ST 14 decided to go fly without me anyway, and turned left off of launch. We found it down the mountain some ways where it had slid through the canopy to the ground. I ascertained that I could pack it up by myself, and told the others to go back to launch since they still wanted to fly. With the kind assistance of Todd, (the new driver for the Cumberland boys) I managed to pack and haul my glider up the very steep and very slippery slope.

OK, I've saved the juicy part for last. Details of damage to myself and glider:

I feel like I've been mugged or just played a hard game of tackle football, I have many bumps and bruises from head to toe. The worst injuries appear to be bruises to both hands and my right shoulder. I also hit my right knee hard and got a long abrasion. My knee is sore, and I twisted my left ankle in the process of hauling my glider out of the woods. However, all body parts appear to be fully functional with no excessive pain or swelling. Despite having commited perhaps the ultimate stupidity in hang gliding, I realize fully that I am one hell of a lucky SOB to not have gotten killed. Not so much because of how I hit, but because I had made the error at a shallow slope launch in light conditions.

My glider appears to have flown into the tree canopy and slipped to the ground, impacting left wing down. The tip wand snapped, and the rear leading edge failed just past the juncture with the front. When I broke the glider down I did not observe any major tears or punctures or damage to other tubes, no damage to the carbon cross-bars.

Rather than inspire a new round of soul-searching, safety meetings, and piling up the server with "in my opinions," I would like save everyone the trouble of finding the answer to preventing launching unhooked: Always use the "Australian" method of clipping your harness to the glider. If any diddling of gear or other interuption occurs, climb out and back into the harness after you're done, however inconvenient that might be. Unless you're breaking down or have already flown, once clipped in the harness should never be unclipped from the glider.

Otherwise, your odds are no better than mine.
Steve Kinsley - 1998/05/01 01:16

So Marc thinks the Australian method will forever ban human error and stupidity. I suspect that 80% of the flying community would have unhooked to fix the radio problem instead of getting out of the harness entirely. It is easier. And there you are back in the soup.

"With EACH flight, demonstrates method of establishing that pilot is hooked in JUST PRIOR to launch." Emphasis in original.-- USHGA novice through advanced requirement.

I know of only three people that actually do this. I am one of them. I am sure there are more but not a lot more. Instead we appear to favor ever more complex (and irrelevant) hang checks or schemes like Marc advocates that possibly increase rather than decrease the risk of hook in failure.
http://www.chgpa.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1149
Team Challenge: Daily Update Thread
Holly Korzilius - 2005/10/01 18:19:55 UTC

Incident at 2005 Team Challenge

I don't have many details at this point, but I just got a call from Scott Wilkinson. Bill Priday launched from Whitwell without hooking in. Scott indicated there was about a hundred foot drop off from launch. Bill's status is unknown at this time. Please pray for him!

I will provide updates as I get them from Scott.
http://www.chgpa.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1153
Hooking In
Steve Kinsley - 2005/10/02 02:45:48 UTC

I already see where the anger and grief take us. We need to do hang checks, double hang checks. And who was on Bill's wire crew? How could they let that happen?

When Bob Gillisse got hurt I suggested that our local institution of the hang check is more the problem than the solution. I still believe that. It subverts the pilot's responsibility to perform a hook-in check. I often do not see pilots doing a hook in check. Why should they? They just did a hang check and they are surrounded by friends who will make sure this box is checked.

But what if there is no hang check and you are used to one?

DO A HOOK IN CHECK. You need a system that you do every time regardless of how many hang checks you have been subjected to that assures you are hooked in.
I think Steve should be the one getting a Nobel Prize for first starting to really understand this.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=17795
Two Consecutive Foot Landings!
Alan Deikman - 2010/06/29 22:15:01 UTC
Fremont, California

Maybe it was edited out but I did not see a hook check before launch.
It wasn't edited out. I think Matt's got a rule prohibiting hook-in checks before launch on his training hills and that ramp.
By hook check, I mean lift-and-tug within the prior forty seconds of launch.
Yeah, forty seconds. That's just gotta qualify for JUST PRIOR TO LAUNCH. That's UNDOUBTEDLY what they meant when they wrote that regulation. You CERTAINLY wouldn't want to be doing that within two seconds of launch.
Not lying down somewhere before launch to check hang straps - most people call that a hang check.
Nah, damn near everyone calls that good to go.
Nice flying, though.
How much better was it than if the glider had been on its own with LittleWing on the rocks below the ramp?

Hey LittleWing,

Did you have any comment whatsoever on the issue that Alan was raising?
miguel

Post by miguel »

Just before launching, what about walking to the front of the glider, holding the nose wires to control the glider. making a half turn and inspecting the stretched out harness lines, hang loop and carabiner. Turn back around, assume the position and launch the glider.

One of the legendary pilots at McClure does this and I copied him.

Don't worry, Bob, I have my asbestos britches on.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

- Does that tell you you have your leg loops?

- You hafta turn back around and "assuming the position" involves picking up and trimming the glider and, in MANY situations, coordinating a crew and waiting for a cycle and/or traffic to clear. Does that comply with the USHGA regulation that:
With each flight, demonstrates method of establishing that pilot is hooked in just prior to launch.
- This is a PREFLIGHT INSPECTION routine.

-- Is there some reason this needs to be done on the ramp - possibly with people behind you and/or on your wires who could possibly be making better use of the time?

-- Have you ever been on a ramp with or helping with a glider in conditions such that NOBODY wants to prolong time spent on the ramp one extra second?

- The INTENT of this regulation is that the hook-in check be made part of the LAUNCH SEQUENCE *AFTER* the preflight routines are COMPLETED.
George Whitehill - 1981/05

If, just before committing to a launch...
- Got that? JUST BEFORE *COMMITTING TO* a launch. Not just before turning back around, picking up and trimming the glider, telling the crew your word will be "clear", watching the vulture, checking the ribbons, and waiting for it to straighten up a bit better.

- Is there something stopping this legendary pilot from LIFTing the glider until he feels the TUGs from his leg loops JUST PRIOR TO and maybe DURING LAUNCH?

- If I found you a legendary pilot - possibly at McClure - who knows what he's doing would you consider copying HIM instead?

- There are A LOT of people who fly well (and poorly) enough to become legendary. That doesn't necessarily make them pilots.

- What did your instructor(s) teach you to do?

Hope I didn't singe your britches too much. Thanks for posting.
miguel

Post by miguel »

Tad Eareckson wrote:- Does that tell you you have your leg loops?
Yes, because leg loops check is part of the inspection.
- You hafta turn back around and "assuming the position" involves picking up and trimming the glider and, in MANY situations, coordinating a crew and waiting for a cycle and/or traffic to clear. Does that comply with the USHGA regulation that:
With each flight, demonstrates method of establishing that pilot is hooked in just prior to launch.
Yep
- This is a PREFLIGHT INSPECTION routine.

-- Is there some reason this needs to be done on the ramp - possibly with people behind you and/or on your wires who could possibly be making better use of the time?
takes all of 30 seconds
-- Have you ever been on a ramp with or helping with a glider in conditions such that NOBODY wants to prolong time spent on the ramp one extra second?
Yes, takes all of 30 seconds. Ever been behind someone waiting for the silver platter fairy to deliver the perfect launch cycle?
- The INTENT of this regulation is that the hook-in check be made part of the LAUNCH SEQUENCE *AFTER* the preflight routines are COMPLETED.
George Whitehill - 1981/05

If, just before committing to a launch...
- Got that? JUST BEFORE *COMMITTING TO* a launch. Not just before turning back around, picking up and trimming the glider, telling the crew your word will be "clear", watching the vulture, checking the ribbons, and waiting for it to straighten up a bit better.
Satisfies all of the above. I think we have a problem with semantics.
- Is there something stopping this legendary pilot from LIFTing the glider until he feels the TUGs from his leg loops JUST PRIOR TO and maybe DURING LAUNCH?
LIFTING a glider up high on a turbulent launch is NOT a good idea.
- If I found you a legendary pilot - possibly at McClure - who knows what he's doing would you consider copying HIM instead?
- There are A LOT of people who fly well (and poorly) enough to become legendary. That doesn't necessarily make them pilots.
rhetorical questions, not needing an answer.
- What did your instructor(s) teach you to do?
Don't remember. That was many many years ago.
Hope I didn't singe your britches too much. Thanks for posting.
Your flames are a bit weak today. I have good American made britches. Thanks for your tepid answer.