You are NEVER hooked in.

General discussion about the sport of hang gliding
Tad Eareckson

Re: You are NEVER hooked in.

Post by Tad Eareckson »

This topic is also important to me personally.
Nothing was ever more important to me in the course of my footlaunch career. If you're not hooked in you don't get to play.
You understand by watching where I use to launch from.
My theory is that even in the totally moronic population of hang glider jockeys the more deadly the environment for an unhooked launch the less likely it is to happen.

Fear is the key component of the drill.

In scooter in which the consequences are highly unlikely to be any worse than...

http://c2.staticflickr.com/4/3729/13148945555_cea849a8eb_o.png

...embarrassment unhooked launches happen all the freakin' time and we only hear about the tip of the iceberg.

Slope launches - read California, the US West - the results tend to be a banged up "pilot" and...

http://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5566/14704620965_ce30a874b7_o.png

...a substantially damaged glider and incidents are common and regular.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7570/15661252749_7fcfe6445a_o.jpg

In environments like yours, Lookout...

8-2401
http://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2926/14074537022_03a98e4a57_o.png

...Henson...

09-05019
http://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2928/13891086719_3ba7e65d38_o.png
http://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2933/14074543322_a183cc3a23_o.png
10-05124

...Glacier Point...

36-15223
http://farm1.staticflickr.com/289/19558147926_75122bbeea_o.png

...Makapu'u...

11-30316
http://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8511/29317212342_94d54de5cb_o.png

...in which a fuckup in this department would translate to almost certain instant death incidents are virtually nonexistent.

But I always treated even the shallowest dune launches like they were Makapu'u Point anyway and thus never had to deal with even the embarrassment issue.
The english captions may suck, but people should still get the message if they want to :roll:
Good freakin' luck. The collective stupidity of the sport's participants is absolutely unfathomable. But the two or three individuals capable benefiting from your efforts will be ones we want to keep around.

1:24
Now I'm 100% certain I'm hooked in!
That contradicts:

0:14
You are NEVER hooked in !
It's a lot better to run off the cliff certain you're about to die than it is to run off the cliff thinking everything's fine. I'd do the lift and tug, feel the leg loops and start the run worried that I'd done a partial hook-in or failed to preflight something critical. And then I'd start being pulled up and away shortly after the point at which it had become too late to do much about anything. Keeps ya thinking and prioritizing things appropriately.

And I don't trust my memory regarding actions even two seconds ago. No advantage to doing so. No advantage to starting to drop your guard until other issues - like not flying into another glider or back into the cliff - start eclipsing the previous one.
And I also get to promote one of my country's most beautiful places ;)
Yep. It's fun to explore other parts of the world with such videos and Google Earth. And the gimbaled stuff is really cool. What an amazing period of human history we're living through. Too bad we're also demolishing the planet at the speed of technological advancement.
TheFjordflier

Post by TheFjordflier »

That contradicts:

Yeah, I see what you mean.
But for me, I'm unhooked until the moment of the final hook-in check.
Then I'm good to go.
I think we look at it differently.
Hope I'm not watering out your own approach to this matter.

And yes, too bad we are destroying this beautiful planet of ours.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

But for me, I'm unhooked until the moment of the final hook-in check.
But if you're STILL unhooked as you commit and something relevant is or goes amiss you're probably gonna be better prepared to react optimally...
- Abort the launch.
- Let go of the glider and:
-- tumble to a stop.
-- get your parachute out and open.
- Get a death grip on the glider and:
-- ride it down for a better outcome.
-- climb up into the control frame (been done, most of us wouldn't be able to).
-- get your parachute out and open.

Always a good idea to be a little scared of fucking up during potentially dangerous phases: launch, thermalling with other gliders, approach and landing.
I think we look at it differently.
A little. But:
- almost certainly not enough to matter.
- nothing's stopping you from tweaking your mindset to extend your paranoia phase an extra three or four seconds.
Hope I'm not watering out your own approach to this matter.
Close enough. But...
Rob Kells - 2005/12

Each of us agrees that it is not a particular method, but rather the fear of launching unhooked that makes us diligent to be sure we are hooked in every time before starting the launch run.
While Rob is being diplomatically full o' shit saying that the method doesn't really matter the fear component is dead on.

The planet...

Late summer of 1984 flew over Greenland with my family en route to Oslo and Sognefjord to visit my sister who was working on a goat farm. The ice cap was the most beautiful and awesome thing I'd ever seen. And now I wonder how long it's going to be there.
Steve Davy

Post by Steve Davy »

...the fear component is dead on.
The component that Tom Galvin is trying to suppress:
Tom Galvin - 2012/08/29

We are human, and can not do "always". I use the Aussie method, a self hang check, then a second party hang check, a hook-in check, and Dave Hopkin's rule of three. 3 mistakes between when the glider comes off the rack to launch, then it's time to put the glider away, since I am not focused on what I am doing.

Even with all that, I know that one day, I could still launch unhooked. I am human. I can only mitigate the risks, not eliminate them.
and thus increasing his probability of launching while unhooked. :lol:
Steve Davy

Post by Steve Davy »

http://www.ushpa.org/legacy/safety/HG2005AccidentSummary.pdf
2005 Hang Gliding Accident Summaries
By Joe Gregor
An extremely experienced pilot was launching a new Falcon 2 via scooter tow. The bridle system used employed two lines: one attached high on the harness for the initial climb-out, and one attached lower for the high altitude portion of the tow. The pilot failed to hook in prior to launch and held onto the control frame (assisted by the upper towline hanging over the bar) until he released at approximately 50 feet. The glider was locked out by this time as the pilot let go with one hand to effect the release. The pilot was propelled through a pine tree, dislocating his shoulder and breaking an arm. The reporter listed a number of factors contributing to this accident including: moving the glider while wearing the harness unhooked; failure of pilot to perform a hook-in check, perhaps due to shared responsibility for the launch; fatigue at the end of a long day; use of a double release system that is difficult to locate in an emergency; poor radio communication with the tow operator; and possible lack of a weak link. An additional factor may have been the high experience level of the accident pilot leading all involved to worry less about backup safety checks.
I suspect that only in a sport as idiot infested as this one will you find a "possible lack of a weak link" associated with a FTHI incident.

Depressing, and also funny.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

Discussed a bit at:
http://www.kitestrings.org/post351.html#p351

Note the references to Aussie Methodism and hook-in checks. The former excludes the latter 'cause the Faithful are always 100.00 percent POSITIVE they're hooked in. Suggest that they amend their procedure and they react like you've just arrived from some distant and totally backwards corner of the galaxy.
<BS>

Post by <BS> »

Tad Eareckson wrote:Yeah, people, if you're gonna launch unhooked and fly one handed lockouts unhooked you DEFINITELY wanna have a weak link which will automatically sense whenever you are in danger and abort the tow "before you can get into too much trouble."
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=34173
DHHG newest baby birds of 2016
Richard Palmon - 2016/03/18 07:02:13 UTC

Brendon and Josh flying off the training hill. After 1 Flight deck intro and 1 training hill intro.
Brendon
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJmiJXY3Q7c

Josh
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymN_zplEd5E

Here are some details=
Wills Wing Condor 330
Greg Shaw design training harness
Half shell Bell Helmet
Skyway 12" diameter rims with airless tubes/fitted with 1 1/8 diameter shaft collars
50' training hill/20 to 25 degree slope
Winds 1.8 mph to 2.5mph out of the West
Brendon hook in weight=120
Josh hook in weight=195
Student pilot launch development=Asses wind cycle, Hook in check, Set pitch, Steady Balance! Clear!
In flight plan=Speed control to straight level flight to target.
Landing flight plan=Speed reduction at perfect level and balance to trim/with "NO" pitch rotation to stall.
I can go into more precise details. Without being to wordy or everwhelming!
Cheers!
2016/03/18 15:02:11 UTC - 1 thumb up -- Heli1
Heli1 - 2016/03/18 15:05:12 UTC

Nice to see they are doing a hook-in check as part of the launch sequence Image
They're not. They're doing it as an element of:
Student pilot launch development
Element 2/4. Element 2/5 actually. Richard doesn't say anything about commencing forward motion - a rather glaring omission given that we're talking about:
Student pilot launch development
and we're working in very light air.

Lift and tug to launch commitment gaps in seconds:
- :11 - Brendon
- :21 - Josh

My memory is no way in hell anywhere near as good as theirs. And if you really understand the issue / appreciate the danger you're not gonna need anybody telling you that this has gotta be the first action in your actual launch sequence - not some item in the countdown menu. You're gonna be doing it every freakin' time well within that critical two second window.
Good luck to both of them in the future.
Jan
They well may need it - 'cause the critical...
Rob Kells - 2005/12

Each of us agrees that it is not a particular method, but rather the fear of launching unhooked that makes us diligent to be sure we are hooked in every time before starting the launch run.
...FEAR element is definitely absent.

And so where has hgflyer...
Richard Palmon - Mountain House, California - 46095 - 2014/05/31 - H4 - D. Burns - 1988/11/12 - FL AWCL CL FSL TUR - ADV INST, TAND INST
...been in the course of all these discussions we've had over the decades?
Jim Gaar - 2016/03/18 15:13:12 UTC

Appears to be a REALLLY nice hill to learn on.
Ed Levin - asshole.
Good job guys!
Beauty beyond description. Amazing.
Richard Palmon - 2016/03/18 16:36:18 UTC

The Hg1 is the most important rating a hg pilot can achieve!
Depends a lot on who the instructor is. And it doesn't hurt to have a student...

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/hhpa/message/hhpa/11361
Question
Zack C - 2010/10/15 13:25:36 UTC

Sunday I performed a hang check at Pack, stepped onto the ramp, and proceeded to wait for a lull in which to launch. Due to this discussion I realized at this point how dangerous it was for me to assume I was hooked in. It's like assuming it's OK to lock your car because you remember putting your keys in your pocket a few minutes ago, only the consequences of being wrong are much worse than a call to AAA.
...with a functional brain either.
The habits and skills newbies develop will carry them to the next steps or ratings and beyond.
Treating a gun as if it's always loaded isn't a habit or skill some asshole has developed. It's an outgrowth of an understanding and appreciation of the issue.
2016/03/18 19:11:57 UTC - 3 thumbs up - Paul Hurless
See? If Richard actually had his shit together he wouldn't be getting an endorsement like this from a total dickhead like this.
Richard Palmon - 2016/03/18 16:39:10 UTC

Thanks blindrodie, Let's keep Hg instruction alive! We all know that Hg instructors are the backbone to our sport! Without training hills? We are just humans stuck to the ground.
Yeah. There's no such thing as towing. Never has been, never will be. (Dickhead.)
Heli1 - 2016/03/18 16:57:53 UTC

I agree.
That's why you got a thumbs up for teaching them that critical skill.
It's not a skill. Sinking a three point basketball shot is a skill. If an NBA player's life depended on making them he'd be extremely unlikely to survive the duration of a game. We have no business teaching anybody skills or putting them in any situations that require them. Perfect flare timing, spot landings, come to immediate mind. We should be teaching theory and judgment and getting people the airtime they need to get the feel of how a glider is controlled and will respond and develop good judgment.
If they stick to it, either as muscle memory, or from the fear of separating from the glider a second after launch, they will be fine Image
Muscle memory is nice but nobody who lacks the fear of separating has any business foot launching.
And you have at least one less thing to worry about.
I only let up on the worrying after the point at which it's too late to do anything about it.
That your present/former students will get killed/injured in a FTHI "accident".
He's obviously not particularly worried about it now. And note that we don't seem to be hearing from any of his scores of properly trained students in any of these campaigns.
Richard Palmon - 2016/03/21 05:25:33 UTC

Thanks Jan, "Live long and prosper!" Are we hooked in?
Of course we are. We remember doing our relevant preflight check twenty seconds ago.
Tad Eareckson - 2017/05/29 20:45:23 UTC

1:24
That contradicts:

TheFjordflier - 2017/05/30 03:05:00 UTC

Yeah, I see what you mean.
See what I mean?

http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=33076
'Lift and Tug Before You Get Off' - PSA video from Heli1
NMERider - 2015/06/28 20:35:10 UTC

I had one friend who parted his wife's hair with his 'unloaded' .45 and several who have launched unhooked plus several more who launched without leg loops and one who died early this year without his leg loops.
Takeo77 - 2016/03/21 20:06:24 UTC

Ran into both guys at Ed Levin the other day. From the video they have some talent.
Yeah. Amazing. Poetry in motion watching them dangle upright under the Condor with their hands on the control tubes at shoulder or ear height where they can't control the glider while it floated straight down the hill in light smooth air.
Richard Palmon - 2016/03/22 05:22:19 UTC

They are Raw Takeo! Hope they can be a positive force within our community.
I haven't the slightest doubt they will be.
I have had my share of talented students. Only to find myself caught in the middle of politics or opinions.
It's aeronautics. If you've got your relevant shit together tell me why politics or opinions should matter in the least.
Most experienced instructors know that you can teach a student all of the skills and techniques to protect themselves.
1. Name two.
2. Bull fucking shit.
3. Maybe you could tell us what these skills and techniques are - seeing as how u$hPa has absolutely no position in this department.
And in the long run! You can't teach people how to protect themselves from themselves.
Then there's no real point to the rating system - is there?
Richard Palmon - 2016/03/22 05:32:35 UTC

I walk a fine line in what we do! I want nothing more than fore these two or any pilot to find and develop their skills and craft!
The way you've developed your proficiency in English spelling and grammar.
it does reach a point where others may consider their skill or approach to flight..."TOO RISKY!" A paradox and irony that I live with everyday.
Doesn't sound like you've got much confidence in the products of your instruction. Is that how things work in conventional aviation?
I hear ground bound people saying that we are crazy learning how to fly. And yet I find people within our community criticizing those that try! Trying to push the envelope of flying!
Yeah, that made perfect sense.
There's nothing like experiencing true freedom.
And flying is absolutely nothing like experiencing true freedom. All those nasty laws of Newtonian physics always getting in the way.
Until you have to pay for it!
So do you ever get any of your students flying prone with their hands on the control bar making any actual turns? If so can you post a video or two?
TheFjordflier

Post by TheFjordflier »

It's not a skill.
Muscle memory is nice but nobody who lacks the fear of separating has any business foot launching.
As a student on the first training hill I recall I was never afraid of launching un-hooked.
There would be no consequences if I did anyway.

Much later, specially on cliff launches I was terrified of forgetting to hook in.
When I started the run I was never sure if I would just drop straight down without the glider, or fly away.
But the final hook-in check procedure changed all that. (Thanks)
Now I feel secure on that point at least. It helps tremendously.

But for new students, without any fear of launching un-hooked, maybe they need to learn it as a skill, and develop the muscle memory.
required to keep them safe for later. From day one.
When they advance to bigger hills, they will be prepared.
Even if they never develop the fear.

We might differ a little bit on this, but in the end, if anyone launching a hang glider performes the lift and tug within a few seconds prior
to launch they will be safer. Regardless of the reasons and logic behind the procedure. IMO.

(Not easy to express oneself in a foreign language. Maybe it turnes out as just "babble".)
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

(Note: Had Josh with a 31 second delay in my previous post. That was a typo. Corrected to 21 ~2017/06/08 18:30:00 UTC.)
As a student on the first training hill I recall I was never afraid of launching un-hooked.
Neither was I. Started on the dunes at Jockey's Ridge 1980/04/02. Kitty Hawk Kites ride factory. Took me FOREVER - well into my second "instructor" stint (1982 season) to understand that only about 0.1 percent of their customers were interested in learning to fly beyond the bucket list stage.

I can't recall when it was that I first became aware of FTHI as a significant contributor to the fatality statistics but I can recall thinking at that instant, "Holy shit! If I continue in this sport this is how I will die within two years." And that realization was half or more of the solution to the problem - even though I didn't know it at the time.
There would be no consequences if I did anyway.
Embarrassment...

2-112
http://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7600/28811055456_925c8abb66_o.png
4-220
http://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8673/28811054116_21b87e3a38_o.png
6-311
http://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8691/28811052626_37e54c1f64_o.png

...works pretty well.
Much later, specially on cliff launches I was terrified of forgetting to hook in.
When I started the run I was never sure if I would just drop straight down without the glider, or fly away.
There are ZERO accounts, reports of individuals at launch position fearing they'd launch unhooked launching unhooked.

Anything else...
Luen Miller - 1994/09

The second pilot was distracted by backing off launch to get his helmet, which he had forgotten. While doing so he thought of a pilot who launched unhooked at Lookout Mountain as a result of the distraction of retrieving his helmet. Our pilot then proceeded to launch unhooked.
...is rolling dice.
But the final hook-in check procedure changed all that. (Thanks)
You have no idea how happy it makes me to get through to the 0.01 percent.
Now I feel secure on that point at least. It helps tremendously.
It'll help even more if you never feel secure until after you're solidly airborne.
But for new students, without any fear of launching un-hooked...
They need to be instilled with that fear before they ever pick up a glider. This is gun safety. You don't let anybody pick up a firearm before getting an appreciation for what can happen and some simple rules for keeping it from happening.

After my nephew:

http://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4279/35052621001_4b849d46f8_o.jpg

got a pellet gun at age ten or so we did some target shooting. After a bit I got interested in the safety procedures and he got me the instructions sheet. I read them and found that he wasn't adhering to one of the procedures. He was still pretty safe but a layer had been stripped away and there was no advantage to stripping it away - it was just a sequencing issue.

The safety procedures for that particular weapon were a lot more complex than those for putting a glider into the air via foot launch and they were still nothing that your average jerk off the street shouldn't be expected to understand and follow.
...maybe they need to learn it as a skill...
Not a SKILL. This is no more a SKILL than following the safety procedures for the pellet gun.
...and develop the muscle memory.
No argument there.

http://www.ushawks.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2095
Should we try a different way? Designwise....
Steve Corbin - 2015/09/02 22:26:04 UTC

Any un-biased observer should be able to see why wanna-be pilots find PG more attractive than HG. Standing around in the Andy Jackson Memorial International Airpark at a busy fly-in shows that a PG landing is a total non-event, while everyone stands up to watch HG's, piloted by "experts", come in to land. A good landing by a HG is greeted by cheers, an acknowledgement that landing one successfully is a demonstration not just of skill, but good luck as well.
But I can't even imagine myself starting a launch run not immediately preceded by a hook-in check.
...required to keep them safe for later. From day one.
Fer sure. One can and should do a zillion launch sequence simulations on flat ground before - and after - moving up the slope.

One should also practice pulling the glider with the harness in order to steer through weight shift alone, without using one's hands, simply by running toward one's target - the way we see Ryan's instructor Ninja Matt doing here:

069-25104
http://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1572/26142964830_289bc3f2cb_o.png
When they advance to bigger hills, they will be prepared.
Even if they never develop the fear.
I don't think we have ever seen or will ever see anyone doing hook-in checks JUST PRIOR TO LAUNCH who doesn't fear launching unhooked.

And I think pretty much EVERYONE fears launching unhooked. Just look at:
- all the insane procedures, strategies, rituals people use to try to avoid doing it
- the levels of participation in discussions following serious incidents

The problem are that:

- Well over 99 percent of hang gliding participants are total morons dedicated to using insane setup and preflight procedures, strategies, rituals to satisfy themselves that they'll be safely connected well before reaching launch position and/or time

- The uber corrupt hang gliding Industry sabotages all efforts to implement the one totally solid strategy to prevent unhooked launches in order to shield itself from negligence and liability issues.

And you can CLEARLY see that going on at:

http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=26996
Critique my radial ramp launch
michael170 - 2012/08/27 23:51:59 UTC

Take a look at the first few seconds of this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KlcXmWi7ig

Do you notice anything significant happening just prior to launch?
Ryan Voight - 2012/08/28 01:06:07 UTC

Michael means to kindly recommend doing a hook-in check just prior to launching. Why he didn't just say that, I don't know.

BACK TO THE VIDEO THAT MATTERS...
Keith Skiles - 2012/08/28 04:43:23 UTC

Suppose I could do that, never hurts, but I always hang check with assistance prior to stepping on the ramp, and never leave my harness once I get in it.
michael170 - 2012/08/28 05:47:11 UTC

1. No, Michael means to kindly recommend compliance with USHPA regulations. Regulations that have been in place for thirty-one years.
2. Matters to who? Does this video matter?
Ryan Voight - 2012/08/28 06:14:06 UTC

What USHPA reg are you referencing specifically?

And no, in a thread titled "Critique my radial ramp launch" that video is also pretty much entirely off topic.

You want to discuss/debate/dictate people's pre-launch habits, great, just don't hijack someone else's thread about radial ramp technique.

Since this video starts with him on launch, we don't know if he did a hook-in check already, a hang check, a preflight, took a pee before putting his harness on, or drove a hybrid car to launch... Why are you critiquing what you don't know, didn't see, didn't ask about, and isn't what he asked for critique on??? WTF?
We might differ a little bit on this, but in the end, if anyone launching a hang glider performes the lift and tug within a few seconds prior to launch they will be safer.
We don't differ on that. Those guys WILL be safer than the guys who swallow the crap that Joe Greblo spews out far and wide in Southern California. They'll PROBABLY be safe ENOUGH to never launch unhooked. The less time, garbage between the last check and commitment the better.
Regardless of the reasons and logic behind the procedure. IMO.
BUT - "SafER" isn't good enough for me or anyone I endorse, sign off, care about.

It often takes a perfect storm of factors to trigger one of these disasters - environment at which it matters, conditions, fatigue, stress, distraction, interruption, deviation from routine, equipment issue... And these perfect storms happen at reasonably regular intervals.

And your best defense...
Rob Kells - 2005/12

...is FEAR. If you've got it a perfect storm will only serve to amplify it. And Brendon and Josh...
Asses wind cycle, Hook in check, Set pitch, Steady Balance! Clear!
...don't have it.
(Not easy to express oneself in a foreign language.
ENGLISH is NOT a FOREIGN language - you moron. It's all those other languages that are FOREIGN.
Maybe it turnes out as just "babble".)
Nah. My hat's really off to people who can make sense in other than their first languages. I know how lucky I am to have grown up using the difficult language that's become the default global standard. And I'm constantly having to work to do better with it.

Anyway... Staying scared until you're fully airborne and being lifted away by your glider doesn't make you safER. It makes you safEST. And that's what we want in the five or so potentially most lethal phase of what we do.

Hell, people pay big bucks to get scared totally shitless for a couple hours in perfectly safe movie theaters. Let's just run this mode for ourselves and our students from five second before commencement through three seconds after completion of launch phase. It's totally free and what's the downside?

A further thought on this issue...

THEORY...

http://ozreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=24846
Is this a joke ?
Jim Rooney - 2011/08/26 06:04:23 UTC

Hahahaha.
That seriously made me chuckle.

I get what you're saying Christopher.
Please understand that I'm not advocating professional infalliblity. Not really sure where I mentioned that, but I can understand where you might have drawn that assumption. None the less, I simply refer to "us" as the "professional pilots" as a term to describe the pilots that do this for a living. Yes, we're just humans... bla bla bla... my point is that we do this a whole sh*tload more than the "average pilot"... and not just a little more... a LOT.

We discuss this stuff a lot more as well. We vet more ideas. This isn't just "neat stuff" to us... it's very real and we deal with it every day.

It's not "us" that has the track record... it's our process.
We're people just like anyone else. And that's the point. THIS is how we do it... normal, fallible humans... and it bloody well works.

So I don't give much credence to something that someone doesn't agree with about what we do for some theoretical reason.

Take this weaklink nonsense.
What do I "advocate"?
I don't advocate shit... I *USE* 130 test lb, greenspun cortland braided fishing line.
It is industry standard.
It is what *WE* use.

If someone's got a problem with it... we've got over ONE HUNDRED THOUSAND TANDEM TOWS and COUNTLESS solo tows that argue otherwise. So they can politely get stuffed.

As my friend likes to say... "Sure, it works in reality... but does it work in theory?"
Hahahahhaa... I like that one a lot ;)
08-19
http://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5277/30076449505_1f6ed2f804_o.png

...is EVERYTHING. It's the foundation of everything we do. Once Wilbur and Orville developed/understood aeronautical theory the designs, equipment, procedures followed easily.

The root cause of unhooked launches is failure to appreciate the danger of launching unhooked - a loaded unloaded gun - at the only time it matters. That is indisputable. If your student understands the theory regarding unhooked launches the proper procedure will follow pretty much automatically. We teach the aerodynamic theory regarding angle of attack and our students don't need much instruction about how to respond to a stall and we tend not to see them forgetting to stuff the bar when things suddenly get real quite. And I can't imagine myself forgetting to do a hook-in check within a second of commitment any more than I can imagine myself forgetting to stuff the bar when things suddenly get real quite.

And I also can't see someone who goes 21 seconds between check and commitment NOT forgetting to check in a perfect storm scenario.

This:
Regardless of the reasons and logic behind the procedure.
That's THEORY you're talking about. That's GOTTA BE the foundation upon which we operate and teach.