2016/04/03 Tres Pinos fatality

General discussion about the sport of hang gliding
Tad Eareckson

Re: 2016/04/03 Tres Pinos fatality

Post by Tad Eareckson »

"Fulcrum" confused me. I'm thinking now that's the hang point?

http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=34277
"evidence of that silliness"
Rolla Manning - 2016/04/21 07:34:30 UTC

Well, first off I will post what I actually said and not what you decided to edit into my quote from a previous page!!!!
BBJCaptain wrote:The method of control on a flex wing glider is weight shift.

In a running takeoff with the harness suspension lines tight and the wing is not yet carrying the full weight of wing and pilot you still must control the glider by weight shift. You can call it pulling the wing down all you want but it is still weight shift.

If you can control a flex wing without weight shift get it on video!

If the pilot pushes the control bar to the right with the right hand only while holding AoA with the left hand, is that not weight shift to the left?

If the pilot pushes his weight to the left side of the control bar with the harness suspension lines tight with their feet, while controlling the AoA with their hands on the control bar. Is that not weight shift to the left?

Or is pulling on the left down tube to shift the weight to the left really the only way possible to control the glider?
I did not state "Using your hands (or legs or whatever) to push or pull against the control frame in order to roll the glider is not in" This was added to my quote by you for what reason I have no clue!!

We have been through 10 pages now on two threads and at no time did Ryan state that he did not have his hands on the control bar. Obviously he was controlling the pitch by pulling in. (or was it running through.)The video that you have seen with your own eye and refuse to believe shows that clearly.

Also as you have stated here and I will quote what you originally posted before you decided to edit it further. That with tight harness lines, weight shift roll correction by running in the direction needed can cause the glider to roll.
brian scarp wrote:Using your hands (legs or whatever ) to push or pull against the control frame (there by shifting your weight) to roll, is not in contention.
Highlighting by me of coarse to get by that "Mav mess" in the middle for the realization that weight shift has accrued.

A video has been posted that clearly shows weight shift for roll correction of a rising left wing, by running left into that wing causing a weight shift to the left while holding the correct AoA with the hands on the control bar. You simply refuse to believe what your own eyes see. It clearly is not the way you control role inputs during a running takeoff but that doesn't make it wrong. Or your way the only way to achieve the same thing. As you clearly stated in the edited version of your post.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?|/quote|v=sk1IfUFyJas
brian scarp wrote:That video shows excellent control
note: redacted from post # 62
Offending post, my emphases:
Brian Scharp - 2016/04/20 18:12:45 UTC

In a running takeoff with the harness suspension lines tight and the wing is not yet carrying the full weight of wing and pilot you still must control the glider by weight shift.

If the pilot pushes the control bar to the right with the right hand only while holding AoA with the left hand, is that not weight shift to the left?

If the pilot pushes his weight to the left side of the control bar with the harness suspension lines tight with their feet, while controlling the AoA with their hands on the control bar. Is that not weight shift to the left?
Using your hands (or legs or whatever) to push or pull against the control frame in order to roll the glider is not in

Or is pulling on the left down tube to shift the weight to the left really the only way possible to control the glider?
Using your hands (legs or whatever) to push or pull against the control frame (there by shifting your weight) to roll, is not in contention. He may have used his legs to get there, but without the use of his hands, the glider would've continued to roll right. That video shows excellent control.
How much of a total fucking moron does one need to be to not see what happened here. More later.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

Brian Scharp - 2016/04/21 14:05:17 UTC

BBJCaptain,

My quote of you is verbatim...
No it's not. It's got one BIG typo in it. But anybody with an IQ in the double digits should've recognized what had happened and immediately dismissed it.
...and you're confusing...
Just about everything subhumanly possible.
...my response as somehow being added to it. I was agreeing with you, by the way.
Be real careful doing that.
The launch video shows excellent form with the use of hands.
48-14412
http://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1639/25962153905_64172b5f97_o.png
http://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1532/25936264316_45447c8ccf_o.png
55-15702
The point you seem to be missing...
THE *POINT*? SINGULAR?
is Ryan professing roll control ability without using hands and there's no video evidence of that.
ANYWHERE - EVER. And Ryan's fucked himself over but good. One of these days he's gonna need to post another video of himself flying. And there will be ZERO EXCUSE for not including a five second clip of him in the LZ doing what he's spent countless hours claiming he and his Hang 0.2 students can do so easily.
Rolla Manning - 2016/04/21 14:40:26 UTC
brian scharp wrote:
BBJCaptain wrote:...

"Using your hands (or legs or whatever) to push or pull against the control frame in order to roll the glider is not in"

Using your hands (legs or whatever) to push or pull against the control frame (there by shifting your weight) to roll, is not in contention. He may have used his legs to get there, but without the use of his hands, the glider would've continued to roll right. That video shows excellent control.
"My quote of you is verbatim"
Seriously?

Then where did this come from? Not from post #60 on pg 3
I dunno, Sherlock. Maybe you could spend several two hour installments tracking down and analyzing clues and get back to us with a reasonable hypothesis.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

Brian Scharp - 2016/04/21 15:03:09 UTC

You're right...
See? EVERYBODY gets SOMETHING right every now and then.
I'm sorry.
I wouldn't be too. It's the kind of mistake that every last one of us makes all the fuckin' time and it should've been the slightest speed bump in the discussion. I missed it the first time and through several fairly careful reviews to try to understand what the fuck he was talking about. And that accidental paste has absolutely no meaning is a sentence - if it even can be considered one.
It wasn't intention and I failed to see it the first time around and was editing as you posted. Apologizes.
1. Apologies.
2. Too many.
Again the launch video shows excellent form with the use of hands. Ryan is claiming roll control without the use of hands and there's no video evidence.
Now let's go back and and start reviewing Mister Perfect's post...

Well, first off I will post what I actually said and not what you decided to edit into my quote from a previous page!!!!

In a running takeoff with the harness suspension lines tight and the wing is not yet carrying the full weight of wing and pilot you still must control the glider by weight shift. You can call it pulling the wing down all you want but it is still weight shift.

I did not state "Using your hands (or legs or whatever) to push or pull against the control frame in order to roll the glider is not in" This was added to my quote by you for what reason I have no clue!!

We have been through 10 pages now on two threads and at no time did Ryan state that he did not have his hands on the control bar. Obviously he was controlling the pitch by pulling in. (or was it running through.)The video that you have seen with your own eye and refuse to believe shows that clearly.

Also as you have stated here and I will quote what you originally posted before you decided to edit it further. That with tight harness lines, weight shift roll correction by running in the direction needed can cause the glider to roll.
brian [color=#FF0000]scarp[/color] wrote:Using your hands (legs or whatever ) to push or pull against the control frame (there by shifting your weight) to roll, is not in contention.
Highlighting by me of coarse to get by that "Mav mess" in the middle for the realization that weight shift has accrued.

A video has been posted that clearly shows weight shift for roll correction of a rising left wing, by running left into that wing causing a weight shift to the left while holding the correct AoA with the hands on the control bar. You simply refuse to believe what your own eyes see. It clearly is not the way you control role inputs during a running takeoff but that doesn't make it wrong. Or your way the only way to achieve the same thing. As you clearly stated in the edited version of your post.
vvvvvv
^^^^^
brian [color=#FF0000]scarp[/color] wrote:That video shows excellent control
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

Two mistakes in Brian's post
- obvious accidental paste
- "thereby" as two words

BBJCaptain... More errors, ignorance, don't-give-a-flying-fuckedness of logic, accuracy, grammar, punctuation, spelling, the English language in general than I care to count and categorize. And ya gotta love this one:
as he's going ballistic on Brian for a much more understandable insertion error.

And then there's the fundamental issue of grade school level understanding of Newtonian physics as related to basic aeronautical theory.

Oh. So if we see a mistake somewhere it's because somebody DECIDED TO do something. Ken Muscio is dead because Stan Albright DECIDED TO fly into him.

Sure, BBJCaptain. Just as soon as you and/or Ryan post a video of a glider turning to the heavy side in the absence of torque.

We'll add that to your list - just as soon as we can get some hard drive space cleared for it.
We have been through 10 pages now on two threads and at no time did Ryan state that he did not have his hands on the control bar.
Wouldn't it had been off-the-scale stupid for Ryan to state that? Even for Ryan?
Obviously he was controlling the pitch by pulling in.
Why? His student here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvhzoVC1UqM
Simple Progression for Teaching Hang Gliding

051-20014
http://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1483/26349644531_e0bbe6fd69_o.png

is very obviously shifting his weight forward / under the nose - just as he would by pulling in when fully airborne. The strap is tight enough to be fully flying the glider and very clearly...

...angled forward. Shouldn't he be needing to be controlling the pitch by PUSHING OUT?
...(or was it running through.)
1. Is that as a question or a statement? I can't tell 'cause the punctuation is totally inconsistent with the words preceding it.
2. If running through is weight shifting the glider faster wouldn't simultaneously pulling in power-whack it?
The video that you have seen with your own eye...
Are you confusing Brain Scarp with Mike Robertson?
...and refuse to believe shows that clearly.
Funny that as clearly as he's seen that video with his own eye and still refusing to believe it he's not getting emphatically mobbed by a stampede of Jack Show assholes, dontchya think?
Also as you have stated here and I will quote what you originally posted before you decided to edit it further.
1. Edit it FURTHER? So what was he doing with his previous edit(s) and why weren't you saying anything previously?

2. If he decides to edit something FURTHER to misrepresent what he said before won't there be an alert along the lines of:
Last further edited by brian scharp on 2016/04/21 14:49:34 UTC; further edited 1 time in total
and won't that destroy his credibility with all individuals follow these two threads?

That's the sorta crap that Jack and Davis do to the people under their control all the time while you useless gutless motherfuckers let them get away with it.

That with tight harness lines, weight shift roll correction by running in the direction needed can cause the glider to roll.
brian scarp wrote:Using your hands (legs or whatever ) to push or pull against the control frame (there by shifting your weight) to roll, is not in contention.
So you're accumulating and storing weight shift? I can think of a lot of emergencies in which a system like that could come in very handy. Can you post a video illustrating the procedure for us? Or is this another one of those phenomena that can't be captured on film with today's available technology?
A video has been posted that clearly shows weight shift for roll correction of a rising left wing, by running left into that wing causing a weight shift to the left while holding the correct AoA with the hands on the control bar.
THANK *GOD*!!! FINALLY! Can you post a link to it so's we can get this issue settled once and for all?
You simply refuse to believe what your own eyes see.
Oh. He got sight restored to the other one. I'm REALLY happy to hear that.
It clearly is not the way you control role inputs during a running takeoff but that doesn't make it wrong.
Looks pretty much the same as I and lotsa my Day One dune students controlled role inputs. What makes you think Brian controls them any different?
Or your way the only way to achieve the same thing. As you clearly stated in the edited version of your post.
Neither one of those "sentences" works very well as a sentence.

Holy shit. That link worked like that.
brian scarp wrote:That video shows excellent control
I just checked back on post # 62. Doesn't look like you did a very good job redacting it. Maybe you just excerpted it. You gotta excerpt something at least three or four times to get it fully redacted.
Steve Davy

Post by Steve Davy »

"Fulcrum" confused me.
Understandable, now that I realize that the pivot point of a pendulum is not called the fulcrum. Doh. :oops:
I'm thinking now that's the hang point?
Yes.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

For the purpose of the exercise it doesn't make much difference. The suspension is tight, rigid, arrow straight at all times and COULD be an inflexible tube with the pivot point at the top end. It's just that the load is at the same point as the applied effort so you can't differentiate between it being a second or third class lever. And if the suspension were inflexible and things were horizontal, the way we generally picture and explain levers, there would be zero mechanical advantage/disadvantage - effort/distance tradeoffs.

Dave Pendzick - 2016/04/21 16:46:22 UTC

WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON HERE!?!?!?
A battle between those who want it understood that one needs one's hands to roll control a glider and u$hPa operatives cocksuckers who want everyone to swallow whatever moronic and lunatic crap they feel like spewing. Way over your pay grade. Stay the fuck out of the conversation.
Brian Scharp - 2016/04/21 17:20:13 UTC

TELLING and no showing.
Bouyo - 2016/04/21 18:50:35 UTC
Bouyo - 2016/04/20 00:32:50 UTC

If the sail billow wasn't responsible for creating the asymmetric lift (rolling), and if it was all down to weight distribution or even torque applied to the control frame, then you could roll a stiff sailed gilder no problem, but you can't.
I just realized that that's bo**ocks.
Just that? Speaking from experience I can assure you that identifying material on The Jack show that ISN'T bo**ocks is an infinitely less demanding pursuit.
Ok, it's simply weight shift combined with asymmetrical lift profile along the wing span that causes a rolling moment. Lift profile becomes more asymmetric along the span with increasing aoa of entire wing and roll moment in produced more easily. Nothing to do with 'billow'. Nice to think these things through and get them ironed out.
And how lucky we are after all these decades to have anonymous individuals such as yourself suddenly show up out of nowhere and get things ironed out in such a manner that Newtonian physics, video evidence, common sense aren't relevant problems.
I still stand by my contention about the control bar position NOT maneuvering the glider for a roll input, even on launch (provided the straps are tight). I was always taught if you try to control a hang glider by moving the control frame you simply won't let the wing fly ...
You were ALWAYS TAUGHT that? A more accurate statement would be that you always chose to believe that. Right now Brian Scharp and Mike Lake are providing reality based explanations 100.000 percent consistent with actual field experience and all video evidence - TEACHING to anyone open to considering Newtonian physics and photographic evidence - and you're CHOOSING to ignore them and BELIEVE the bullshit being spewed.

Go fuck yourself, Bouyo. Enjoy your ride down on the remainder of the Ponzi scheme collapse.

Gonna post this one now 'cause I'm working on an epic Ryan post which is taking a lot of work and should be a stand-alone treatment.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

Ryan Voight - 2016/04/21 19:06:19 UTC

Ok... been a little busy...
Rest assured, so have we.
...glad you guys were able to carry on without me (even if no progress was made).
Don't worry, WE are making MEASURABLE progress - you lying cowardly little shit.
Here's where I'm at, at this point:
Totally fucked. Same as you were when you committed:

http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=27217
Bad Launch!
Ryan Voight - 2012/09/26 14:23:55 UTC

Running to the right = weight shift to the right.

It's all about what the glider feels. Running to the right pulls the hang loop to the right, just like when you weight shift at 3,000 ft. Glider doesn't know or care what means you used to pull the hang loop to the right.
michael170 - 2012/09/26 19:52:56 UTC

Are you sure about that, Ryan?
Ryan Voight - 2012/09/26 20:05:16 UTC

You were never taught to run toward the lifting wing?

Yes, I'm sure.

I can (and have) run across a field and steer the glider without ever touching the DT's by simply changing the direction I run. At the beach (or South Side) I like to practice kiting my wing with no hands, and just moving my hips (and stepping if necessary) left/right.

Pulling the hang loop to the right is pulling the hang loop to the right- glider don't care if you're dangling beneath it or still touching the ground. As long as your mains are tight, you can weight shift it!
to paper - 'cause you will never in a thousand years be able to show us a single frame of video supporting your bald-faced lie and anyone who attempts to duplicate that experiment will find the glider doing the polar opposite of what you claim in a fuckin' New York minute.
*I have shared a newer theory as to why weight shift results in roll control in flex wing hang gliders.
Good thing *YOU have SHARED this "NEWER THEORY" with us muppets - 'cause for some inexplicable reason Hang Gliding, The Oz Report, Nature, and other highly respected scientific journals have failed to pick up on it to date.
I did not develop this theory...
No...

http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=30824
Article "Pushing Out" Feb 2014 HG mag
NMERider - 2014/02/25 06:05:06 UTC

What part of:
...his rather nonsensical and too-often phantasmagorical version of physics and aerodynamics.
wasn't clear? Image
Ryan is a classic example of a superbly talented athlete who is ill-equipped to write a comprehensive training manual or academically meaningful text.
...shit.
...it was merely shared with me.
Well yeah. Whenever you develop a newer scientific theory you need to be careful to merely share it with a small number of privileged information decimators. It's not like you'd wanna put your name on and publish it for just anyone to be able read, scrutinize, comment on.
It's quite different from what I thought I knew beforehand...
Really reassuring to know that u$hPa appoints flight instructors who teach aeronautical theory based on what they think they know.
...and like some...
Who specifically?
...here...
"Here" being Jack's Living Room - where the rules are and will be for all eternity whatever Jack feels like saying and doing at any given moment and individuals who see through bullshit like yours and call it for what it is tend to get their wires permanently cut.
...I initially resisted it (strongly).
But then you realized that it didn't need to be consistent with Newtonian physics or supported by video evidence and immediately embraced it with an unparalleled passion.
Considering the source it came from, my respect for their knowledge, experience, brainpower, wisdom, maturity, etc...
So much respect that the idea of NAMING "THEM" would be patently absurd. And, unfortunately, the images of individuals with that much knowledge, experience, brainpower, wisdom, maturity, etc... cannot be captured on film. So, unfortunately, you muppets wanting to know anything further about this individual's actual identity are totally shit outta luck.

This is TEXTBOOK ROONEY. Presents himself as a conduit through which the gods transmit their truth and wisdom but will NEVER cite, quote, identify a source. The medium can't be attacked 'cause he's just a humble medium relaying ultimate wisdom and the sources can't be identified 'cause if they are we can pull quotes and/or dig up the skeletons they've secreted and cut them to ribbons. Also, if these Industry fucks start identifying sources they're presenting as superior to themselves, they divert students ($$$) to them. One hundred percent of commercial operations advertise themselves as the best on the planet and the best possible.

http://flyhighhg.com
Fly High Hang Gliding
http://flyhighhg.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/GH2_Frame_Ellenville-e1413496272791-1024x417.jpg

In operation since 1985, Fly High continues assisting people on their journey to becoming rated and proficient hang glider pilots.

Our experienced, expert staff of enthusiastic certified instructors will be your guides as you progress safely and incrementally into becoming a skilled, confident, and self-reliant mountain pilot. Fly High's founder, and his son (now running the business) have both been recognized by the United States Hang Gliding and Paragliding Association as "Hang Gliding Instructor of the Year" : Paul Voight in 2007 and Ryan Voight in 2014. In 2009 Paul was also awarded the Rob Kells Memorial Award (equivalent of a lifetime achievement award).
Why would you go to Greg Black or Mike Robertson after reading something like that?

This is a one hundred percent predictable pattern.

Also notice that con "artists" / sociopaths like Jim Keen-Intellect Rooney and Ryan Instant-Hands-Free-Release Voight...

http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=29984
What happened to the org?
Mike Lake - 2013/09/26 18:59:57 UTC

On the other hand there are plenty of people who fly lots but still manage to spew out the most incredible and dangerous garbage to others.

This includes some of the "professional" people who work in the industry and are therefore able to regard themselves as such.
They really believe they have a monopoly on knowledge and when finding themselves on the losing side of a debate resort to the old standby "This is what we do so fuck off you weekender".

I say good riddance to those nauseating, know it all, self indulgent "professionals" who have banished themselves from this site.
2013/09/26 19:19:24 UTC - 3 thumbs up - NMERider
2013/09/26 20:30:40 UTC - 3 thumbs up - Rick Cavallaro
2013/09/27 01:07:47 UTC - 3 thumbs up - Sam Kellner
2013/09/26 20:02:33 UTC - 3 thumbs up - John Borton
2013/09/26 20:42:36 UTC - 3 thumbs up - Brian Scharp
...don't have any actual friends 'cause they view all individuals as marks to use to facilitate their climbs to the top. (Just figured out why Sam chimed in. Thinks Mike had T** at K*** S****** in mind when writing that.)

I'm pretty certain that Highland Aerosports collapsed in part because they wouldn't have tolerated another season of Rooney at any price. And when we destroyed that motherfucker on The Davis Show post Marzec it was a coordinated TEAM effort.
...I concluded I needed to check my ego and LISTEN.
Oh. So your confidence in the older THEORY was based upon your image of yourself as a really cool looping dude. This is bullshit. This is not how actual human thinking about scientific theory progresses. He's analyzing the situation for effective pathways to promote himself. He returned to The Jack Show 'cause he wasn't able to be as much of a center of attention over on his personal blog.
Before entirely accepting it, I had to prove it for myself... (or TO myself?)
Which was a relative breeze - 'cause Ryan Instant-Hands-Free-Release Voight proving something to himself never involves honest back-and-forth discussions with competent individuals or using of any of that nasty arithmetic and logic.
What videos did I watch?
Just ones for which you needn't provide links.
Any hang gliding video. Every hang gliding video Image
You mean the ones that don't show people executing roll control without use of their hands? Image
If THIS *NEWER* theory is true, and I'm now 10,000% convinced it is...
Very strange way to start off a sentence... IF this NEWER *THEORY* - that two plus two equals FOUR, rather than three point seven as predicted by the OLDER theory, and I'm now one hundred times one hundred percent CONVINCED that it is...

Compare/Contrast with:

http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=31781
Another hang check lesson
Alan Deikman - 2014/09/23 19:47:06 UTC

For my part I will just refer you to the classic Tad Eareckson essay which I call "the gun is always loaded" which is a bit overworked but probably all you will ever need to read regarding FTHI. A lot of people will find it gores their particular sacred Ox, but I have never seen anyone point out a flaw in his logic.
No IFs, nothing about being ten thousand percent CONVINCED. Nailed it. Flawless. End of fuckin' story - fuckin' Mike End-Of-Story Bomstad.

And note that the word "NEWER" - versus "OLDER" - implies that five or ten years down the road on our journey to better understand the aerodynamics of hang glider control (Bumblebees we can do and have done. But HANG GLIDERS! Dontchya think that after half a century's worth of study and scrutiny by the best minds on the planet that if they could've untangled this can of worms by now they'd have already untangled it?) there will be a *NEWER* newer theory that will even better explain what's going on. At which time Ryan Instant-Hands-Free-Release Voight will become ten thousand percent convinced it's true.

Also... A hang glider person uses the word "theory" as a badge of contempt - as we see here in this post:

http://ozreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=24846
Is this a joke ?
Jim Rooney - 2011/08/26 06:04:23 UTC

Troll

Hahahaha.
That seriously made me chuckle.

I get what you're saying Christopher.
Please understand that I'm not advocating professional infalliblity. Not really sure where I mentioned that, but I can understand where you might have drawn that assumption. None the less, I simply refer to "us" as the "professional pilots" as a term to describe the pilots that do this for a living. Yes, we're just humans... bla bla bla... my point is that we do this a whole sh*tload more than the "average pilot"... and not just a little more... a LOT.

We discuss this stuff a lot more as well. We vet more ideas. This isn't just "neat stuff" to us... it's very real and we deal with it every day.

It's not "us" that has the track record... it's our process.
We're people just like anyone else. And that's the point. THIS is how we do it... normal, fallible humans... and it bloody well works.

So I don't give much credence to something that someone doesn't agree with about what we do for some theoretical reason.

Take this weaklink nonsense.
What do I "advocate"?
I don't advocate shit... I *USE* 130 test lb, greenspun cortland braided fishing line.
It is industry standard.
It is what *WE* use.

If someone's got a problem with it... we've got over ONE HUNDRED THOUSAND TANDEM TOWS and COUNTLESS solo tows that argue otherwise. So they can politely get stuffed.

As my friend likes to say... "Sure, it works in reality... but does it work in theory?"
Hahahahhaa... I like that one a lot ;)
from Ryan Instant-Hands-Free-Release Voight's first cousin and former boyfriend. It's "theory" not by the scientific definition as in relativity and evolution - or basic aeronautical theory as taught in conventional aviation ground school. Theory which explains all relevant observable and testable phenomena without exception. It's "theory" as in some brain damaged Texas Bible thumper dismissing evolution as just another THEORY no better than anybody else's opinion so yeah, goddammit, we're gonna be teaching Creation Science to our public grade school kids too.
...there CAN'T be a specific video where we see it... it needs to be in ALL the videos, right?!
RIGHT!

- Like this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azZCJsd0UJE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azZCJsd0UJE
05-0820
http://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1551/26152677350_30960a5aa7_o.png
08-1519
http://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1573/26333177542_e4a3a883b4_o.png
10-2020
http://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1669/26425524185_42ceedf1e9_o.png

very clearly illustrates the dynamics involved in hang glider roll control.

- So show us one fuckin' video from one fuckin' source whom we respect for their knowledge, experience, brainpower, wisdom, maturity, etc... illustrating no-hands glider roll control. One five degree bank once in either direction is all we're asking for.
The best proof for me was any footage of a hang glider flying, shot from the ground, where the glider is flying away from the camera- so the trailing edge is most visable.
Well yeah. But that's just for you. And you're a lot smarter than any of us weekender muppets.
Then the pilot weight shifts...
How? Does he just will his body to the side or does he hafta use his hands?
...and the glider begins to roll. I could pause the video before the pilot weight shifts and stick a post-it note along the trailing edge of the glider just before the pilot weight shifted. Then play a few frames while the pilot moves over, and pause it again. The left and right wing have not deformed yet!
There are more pounds per square foot on the side towards which the pilot has shifted his weight and fewer pounds per square foot on the other but hang gliders recently obtained a special exemption from Newton's Third Law of Motion which permits a delayed response in order to comply with the newer theory developed by a source Ryan respects for their knowledge, experience, brainpower, wisdom, maturity, etc...
Play a few more frames, until the wing begins to roll...
At thirty frames per second about how many do we typically have to run to get us through the dispensation period?
...and now it gets interesting-
And NOW it gets interesting? I found what's happened to this point already to be totally fascinating.
...because the LEADING EDGES are rolling...
But not, of course, the kingpost, wires, control frame, suspension, pilot. All that other stuff kicks in a bit later.
...while the trailing edge basically stays aligned with the post-it... until the glider has rolled enough that the trailing edge begins following the leading edge up or down depending which way the wing is rolling...
1. I'm guessing a conventional fixed wing aircraft begins to roll immediately in response to ailerons being deflected in opposition to each other 'cause it's never heard of this source whom you respect for their knowledge, experience, brainpower, wisdom, maturity, etc... and the McDonnell Douglas folk developing fighter jets would probably be familiar with the phenomenon such that your source wouldn't have had to develop the Newer Theory.

2. So what you're saying is that one wing goes down as its trailing edge goes up while the opposite wing goes up as its trailing edge goes down. Fascinating. Just like with ailerons. Who'da thunk.

3. And then the plane continues rolling until the wings are entirely beyond the ranges in which they were before the control input was executed. Also fascinating. Extra fascinating after a bong hit or two.
It blew my mind!
Did you try it after a bong hit or two?
Honestly-
That should raise flags with people of varying ages. It's an indication that the person saying it is emphasizing that he's kicking out of his normal operating mode.
I was so sure I had it all figured out before...
Lemme guess... Ten thousand percent convinced?
...and then to see it in this entirely new way, just wow!
Wow.
This new theory also fills in some problems I had with the older concept, which I won't get into...
Aw fuck. Now we'll never get to hear the problems you had with the older concept that this new theory fills in.
...but ya know that feeling when "it all adds up" suddenly?
Not without you getting into the problems you had with the older concept that this new theory also fills in.
This is that...
We muppets can only envy you - and pray that these voids in our collective knowledge of fundamental hang glider aeronautical theory don't translate to more of the deaths we experienced under the older concept.
REGARDING WEIGHT SHIFTING WITH OR WITHOUT USE OF HANDS... that seems like a silly debate, honestly.
It's really refreshing to see you being so honest with various parts of this post - for a change.
Demanding I produce video evidence? Yea, ok. I'm half inclined, because my ego hates being challenged ("know thyself", right?)... but frankly...
And very honestly.
...I came here and have spent a LOT of time trying to educate and then back up that education with information and explanation.
But ENOUGH is ENOUGH GODDAMMIT! Ya gotta draw the line SOMEWHERE! And frankly, honestly, demanding that I show you video evidence of what I've frankly and honestly been TELLING you is simply beyond the PALE. I mean... Get fuckin' REAL people!
If you want "proof", and you're that interested in this subject, please go out and "prove it to yourself".
We've tried. We've looked at both videos you've produced depicting weight shifting without use of hands.

068-25104
http://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1572/26142964830_289bc3f2cb_o.png
06-0911
http://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1598/25890755153_88a24e4671_o.png

We're just really confused 'cause in both videos the pilots appear to be using their hands.
While I didn't let go with my hands on that mountain launch video I posted (still needed to pull in to get off the hill with "extra" airspeed- as well as lower the AofA so the wing is more controllable in roll to correct the lifting wing)... I am telling you with complete certainty...
---ten thousand percent certainty as well as extraordinary frankness and honesty...
...I was NOT pulling on the downtube(s) laterally.
I did NOT have sexual relations with that woman... Miss Lewinsky.
And I wasn't pulling "down" on one side harder than the other, which would be another- sloppier- way of adding more weight to one side (weight shift).
And you can't ever prove otherwise. So there. So now what are you gonna do about it?
Don't believe that?
No. Because this time you didn't assure us you were being frank and honest.
I don't really care.
Lying little worms such as you...

http://www.chgpa.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2467
weak links
Jim Rooney - 2007/07/19 14:50:52 UTC

Weak links don't always break in lockout situations... so lets make them stronger? Are you nuts?
I don't care if they're "Meant" to break in lockout. How the hell is it a bad thing if they do?
http://www.chgpa.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2871
speed link
Jim Rooney - 2007/12/13 18:07:02 UTC

Wow, so this is what I get when I try to be civil?
Oh well, very nice. Enjoy being pissed. I don't care.
Is this a joke ?
Jim Rooney - 2011/08/25 04:55:25 UTC

So, argue all you like.
I don't care.
I've been through all these arguments a million times... this is my job.
I could be more political about it, but screw it... I'm not in the mood to put up with tender sensibilities... Some weekend warrior isn't about to inform me about jack sh*t when it comes to towing. I've got thousands upon thousands of tows under my belt. I don't know everything, but I'll wager the house that I've got it sussed a bit better than an armchair warrior.
Jim Rooney - 2011/08/26 17:34:33 UTC

See, you don't get to hook up to my plane with whatever you please. Not only am I on the other end of that rope... and you have zero say in my safety margins... I have no desire what so ever to have a pilot smashing himself into the earth on my watch. So yeah, if you show up with some non-standard gear, I won't be towing you. Love it or leave it. I don't care.
Ok, I'm tired of this.
I'm not really sure who you're trying to convince.
Again, I don't care to argue this stuff.
I'll answer actual questions if you're keen to actually hear the answers, but arguing with me? Really? Have fun with that.

Gimme a call when you think of something that we haven't already been through years ago... cuz to date, you have yet to come up with anything new. Well, maybe it's new to you I guess. It's old as dirt to me though.
http://ozreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=30971
Zach Marzec
Jim Rooney - 2013/02/16 05:05:41 UTC

Ok, keyboard in hand.
I've got a bit of time, but I'm not going to write a dissertation... so either choose to try to understand what I'm saying, or (as is most often the case) don't.
I don't care.
http://ozreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=31052
Poll on weaklinks
Jim Rooney - 2013/03/05 01:32:20 UTC

Btw, it's nothing to do with you "counting" on the weaklink breaking... Its about me not trusting you to hit the release.
If it were only about what you want, then you could use what you like.
You want the strongest weaklink you can have.
I want you to have the weakest one practical.. I don't care how much it inconveniences you.
I don't trust you as a rule. You Trust you , but I don't and shouldn't.
Jim Rooney - 2013/03/12 15:43:02 UTC

Also as I said before, I don't care... the straight pin / bent pin is "issue" is a non issue to me. Use either. You like straight pins? BFD... use straight ones.
...tend to say that quite a bit. By way of contrast... Search the archives of Kite Strings for "I don't care" and find one post by Yours Truly or any other past or current registered user using that combination of words in a similar context.

Me? When somebody questions MY credibility I will move heaven and earth to make the situation crystal clear. Either present ironclad evidence of what I have or haven't said or acknowledge that I was wrong, mistaken, confused about an issue and get the record set straight.
Don't believe this theory about how roll control works? I don't really care.
So tell us what the fuck you DO really care about. 'Cause an instructor who's saying that he doesn't really care about fundamental aeronautical theory is actually saying he really doesn't care whether or not people get mangled or killed because of false information they've been given or solid information they haven't been given. Tell me what else hang gliding instruction is about. Tell me that a minimum of 99.99 percent of what instruction isn't about accurate communication that allows the student to properly wire his brain for flight.
I've done MORE than my part here to share knowledge...
You and your buddy Jim Keen-Intellect Rooney both. It's the QUALITY of the knowledge that's the problem.
...wisdom...
Here's one of the definitions of wisdom from my Mac "Dictionary" application:
the body of knowledge and principles that develops within a specified society or period
Here's an example of that flavor of wisdom within THIS specified society and it's longest relevant period:
Towing Aloft - 1998/01

"It is infinitely better to have a weak link break too soon rather than too late."
-- Towing Proverb
Here's one of the results of that flavor of wisdom:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-bRrpHNa68iY/UQ6Pv9gRZyI/AAAAAAAAjTg/Hc22bx5122Q/s2048/20943781_BG1.jpg
...that was shared with me...
By whom? What's so fuckin' special about you that entitles you to knowledge and wisdom directly through the original source without a middleman filtering, editing, redacting the original knowledge and wisdom as he pleases?
...and my extensive personal experience and research before "buying in" to these newer ideas.
1. A lot of the people you're talking to and pissing on were flying hang gliders years before you took your first breath - Yours Truly included.

2. Tell us about all the relevant personal experiences you've had that couldn't be duplicated by a Hang 2.0 student in the course of a short afternoon at Tres Pinos with its training hill and stationary winch.

3. If we muppets aren't out there at the hill gaining a small fraction of that vast trove of personal experience you have shouldn't we, generally speaking, have vast amounts of time available to do ten times the research you've done?

4. How do you think your personal experience and research stack up to the collective experience and research of thousands of hang glider pilots?

5. Cite me ANY advancement from the entire history of hang gliding required ANYONE'S *EXPERIENCE* to effect.

6. Search the archives of Kite Strings for any member citing his experience as a qualification to communicate, promote a concept.
If you have the same reluctance I had- which is understandable!- do what I did... get off your ass.
Which is what one is on when doing research - and engaging in battles in which reputations are made and destroyed and the course of hang gliding history is determined. NOTHING scares Mark G. Forbes, Tim Herr, Jim Keen-Intellect Rooney, other u$hPa and Industry shits as much as the wrong person sitting on his ass and tapping keys with his fingers.
Or don't. Whatever Image
I'm staying right here on my ass, Ryan. Image And you're not gonna be happy with the results of what I do so situated.
Love,
Ryan
Don't count on it.
PS...
Continuing on subsequent post.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

PS: Weight shift without hands; A simple, yet clear example... which I have personally done A LOT OF, so this is not theory...
Certainly not like the theory that about six paragraphs ago you professed to be ten thousand percent convinced by and observable in any and every hang gliding video.
...this is proven effective in real world practice, repeatably and reliably.
THAT'S THE *DEFINITION* OF *THEORY* - DICKHEAD. "THEORY" IS *NOT* A SYNONYM FOR SOME ASSHOLE'S *OPINION*.
Standing and kiting a hang glider...
Kiting a hang glider. Synonym for...
Manned Kiting
The Basic Handbook of Tow Launched Hang Gliding
Daniel F. Poynter
...TOWING a hang glider.
...in smooth coastal wind, at just the magic velocity where the glider is lifting itself, and just a teeny bit on my harness... but yet no pitch input is needed. Get the glider balanced (with hands is fine)... and once it feels balanced, let go.
Manned Kiting
Daniel F. Poynter

"Never take your hands off the bar." - Tom Peghiny
...I'd suggest keeping hands close, just in case, especially if you've never tried this before...
Or if you DO take your hands off the bar make sure you're in smooth coastal wind at just the magic velocity where the glider is lifting itself and just a teeny bit on your harness but yet no pitch input needed, get the glider balanced, and THEN let go. But I'd suggest keeping your hands close, just in case, especially if you've never tried this before.

So Ryan... What do you think was going on with Nancy at Tres Pinos three Sundays ago with her two string / three yank release within easy reach?
When a slight roll input is needed, move your HIPS (harness mains attachment point) left or right. Taking a step to either side is fine, but not necessary if only a small input is what's needed. If the amount the glider is lifting on your harness is very light, you might also need to bend your knees a little, so that you're weight shift is just lateral left/right, but by lowering your hips a little relative to the lifting glider, for that brief moment the glider feels greater force (as if you suddenly got heavier).

I have done this at Kitty Hawk for minutes at a time. I'm very sorry that I do not have video...
We all are. 'Cause the only way we can learn, do better, make scientific advancements is to have our assumptions, beliefs, understandings proven wrong. That's how Wilbur and Orville figured out adverse yaw and how to deal with it - after a nasty devastatingly demoralizing crash.
...(I should have filmed it, since my hands were free! HA). I can't be the only one who's performed this voodoo magic?
No. You can't. You also can't cite another hang gliding phenomenon that hasn't already been posted on a few dozen YouTube videos. How unfortunate that this one - that's generating such controversy and nastiness - had to be the only one not already documented.

(I've always liked this one:

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7309/11414153476_3ca8cc4036_o.png

that illustrates what inevitably happens to anyone who flies a Tad-O-Link which won't break when it's supposed to.)
And- I'll explain it in terms of physics and CG.
Oh. You mean THEORY.
If the glider weights 60 lbs, and it's lifting up on your harness with 10 lbs of force...
In towing we refer to that force as pressure.
...total wingloading of that currently flying aircraft is 70 lbs.
Sixty plus ten. Sounds pretty close so I guess I'm with you so far.
If your feet were on a scale, you'd weigh 10 lbs less.
How much less would I weigh if the glider were lifting up on my harness with three hundred pounds?
That weight didn't disappear, it's being "flown" by the glider. Hopefully this makes sense so far- I can't see anyone arguing this much, right?
I dunno... This is starting to get pretty complex and we've gotta remember that this is just theoretical stuff and there are many other valid opinions out there.
If you move your hips (or your feet) such that you shift the hang loop left or right... you've moved the 10 lbs of your weight the glider is lifting, relative to the center of lift of the wing- which remains unchanged.
Goddam right it's gonna remain unchanged. You just shot yourself in the foot with this one.

The center of lift is gonna be right where it was before - at the hang point. But you've pulled the suspension to the - call it - left. So the glider will be feeling a left and increased gravity vector and will react by rolling to the right. And with the center of gravity remaining unchanged - as you just pointed out the wing will be pulling straight away from the angled suspension - up and to the right.

Saying the center of lift has remained the same is EXACTLY the same as saying no billow shift has occurred which is exactly the same as saying there's been no asymmetrical wing loading with weight shift without using your hands - which flatly contradicts the point you stated you're making with this.

In an ACTUAL roll correction you torque the bar to the right which angles your suspension to the left of perpendicular to the wing and increases tension on it and the left wire and decreases tension on the right wire.

The left wing is more heavily loaded, billow shift occurs, the center of lift moves to the right, the wing rolls back to level, and then we can relax again with the wing flying level and trim.
If you hook in at 200 lbs, and you shift your weight over while flying at 3,000 ft...
How can I shift my weight over while flying at three thousand feet? My legs aren't long enough to get my feet on the ground above half that altitude.
...obviously you've moved 200 lbs of the aircraft's total (77% of the 260 lbs total in this case) CG...
Obviously I haven't because you haven't instructed me on how to do that part. I only know how to do it when I'm standing at the top of the dune.
...and so that weight shift is going to be hugely more effective.
It sure will if I'm torqueing myself over to one side using the bar using my HANDS - which you last mentioned in context when I was standing on the top of the dune about 316 words ago.
Standing on the ground, in this example we're only shifting 10 lbs of the 70 lbs total aircraft weight- only 14%. Is it as effective? No. But does it have the same effect as at 3,000 ft, just proportionately less? Of course it does.
Get fucked.

- Of course it DOESN'T until someone comes up with a video proving otherwise.

- It's fuckin' moronic to talk about shifting weight without talking about how FAR in addition to how MUCH. You got a ten pound weight bolted to a control frame corner two feet out from centerline...

15-1722

Not a problem. You got a ten pound weight bolted to the far end of a leading edge fifteen feet out from centerline you're gonna notice.

POUNDS and FEET. FEET and POUNDS. FOOT POUNDS. TORQUE. The TORQUE you deliver to the glider by running to a side and pulling on the strap at the hang POINT on the keel is ZERO - zero if you're pulling ten pounds, same zero of you're pulling three hundred.
The end? Image
Of the discussion? Not by a long shot. For you and your reputation? Pretty much. We're never gonna let this go, Ryan. You can choose to participate in the discussion or not.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

Mike Lake - 2016/04/21 20:15:18 UTC

That weight didn't disappear, it's being "flown" by the glider. Hopefully this makes sense so far- I can't see anyone arguing this much, right?
Well I am. Image

There IS a difference between a glider in free flight with a pilot dangling below and a glider with a pilot anchored to the ground.
In normal flight deviations are self stabilising because the pilot is free to follow the glider. When the pilot's feet are on the ground UNLESS HE MOVES WITH THE GLIDER the dynamics are different.

If (say) a right wing drops, the glider AND PILOT would normally drift a bit to the right and all would be fine, hardly noticeable. However, if the pilot DOES NOT MOVE WITH THE GLIDER the glider still wants to drift to the right but can't so will take the only option available to it and follow an arced path, turning still further to the right and down.
This is a plain English lockout theory...
Opinion.
...that kills people, so is well established.
Again three Sundays ago. Opinions can be deadly too on occasion.
As I said earlier, and was largely ignored, if a pilot is launching without giving any input other than running THE GLIDER IS BEING TOWED BY THE HANG POINT, this is indisputable.
You'd be fuckin' amazed at all the indisputable stuff disputed on the Jack, Davis, Bob Shows.
In this case the dynamics of towing take over until the pilot's feet leave the ground.

Just saying.
Brian Scharp - 2016/04/21 20:29:33 UTC

You claim to teach this to students and yet haven't been able to capture it on video.

068-25104
Why should it seem unreasonable to expect a demonstration if you've got students doing it and a misunderstanding of this might cause instinctual errors?
If Ryan's got students doing it wouldn't it be reasonable to expect a fair number of them posting on The Jack Show swearing on Bibles as to the its effectiveness and promising to post videos after the next flyable weekend? Wouldn't the absence of so much as a single two sentence post in his support be near certain proof that this is the total bullshit anybody with half a brain or better knows it to be?
http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=34243
Fatal HG crash in Tres Pinos CA 4-3-2016
Ryan Voight - 2016/04/06 22:08:19 UTC

Does the tow operator instinctively try to "pull" the student back on course with the winch- which actually would do the opposite, accelerating them into deeper trouble.
Why would they even think to try that?
Mike Lake - 2016/04/18 21:32:16 UTC

If you are running without holding onto the control frame you are simply towing the glider from the hang point with a very short tow line. Any misalignment (great word that) is the very seed of a lockout. Running towards the upwind/upward wing only serves to increase the misalignment.

If a tow pilot turns to the right and the tow vehicle turns to the left to compensate I don't think anyone would doubt that this would be an unwise manoeuvre.
Same thing longer towline.
Ryan Voight - 2016/04/21 20:53:49 UTC

A) Check your sentence structure and wording- I don't claim to teach this to students... I do, and when they do it, it works.
Proven system. Looooong track record.

Good job, Ryan Instant-Hands-Free-Release Voight. Your students - better than the students of all other instructors - are able to execute the intricate aviation skill of leveling a glider during a run and get it airborne in the approximate intended direction because of your cues and explanations of the physics of hang glider control. Gawd only knows what would happen if they were left to their own devices with no instruction whatsoever beyond having seen a couple random hang glider foot launches on YouTube. Probably get completely turned around and run the glider down the backside of the hill and into a fence.

Donnell Hewett was the inventor of this total backwards cluelessness regarding the physics of hang glider roll control and the "auto-correcting/stabilizing" "center of mass" bridle. Never in the subsequent history of hang glider towing did anyone hesitate for a millisecond to push himself to the high side waiting for the auto-correcting effect to kick in. And when gliders were locking out anyway despite the auto-correcting bridle and best efforts of the pilots he invented "adverse yaw" to explain why what was actually happening in the air was the polar opposite of what his "theory" was predicting.

Don't make the mistake of attributing your students' abilities to get Condors and Falcons airborne off training hills to your cues and physics explanations. If you give the same instruction to fledgling Kestrels prior to tossing them into the air for the first time they're gonna execute pretty competently as well.
I have conceded that the "cue" to *literally* run a different direction- rather than just pull the glider along the originally intended direction- might not be entirely accurate... be the action students take, using this cue, DOES work.
See above.
AND- they are not moving the glider around them with their hands (you must be really strong!).
REALLY strong! If you don't believe me plant your feet at the top of a dune when it's blowing twelve and the glider's floating in the turbulent jet stream pulling ten pounds on your strap and JUST TRY to move that wing around you without using your much more powerful leg muscles to shift your weight under the glider. JUST YOU TRY! Only when you're fully airborne does it become practically possible to use your hands and arms for control.

http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=34243
Fatal HG crash in Tres Pinos CA 4-3-2016
Garrett Speeter - 2016/04/14 00:11:26 UTC

I bet pilot would still be alive today if he/she decided to self-teach.
2016/04/14 02:10:18 UTC - Sink This! -- Paul Hurless
Davis Straub - 2016/04/14 00:16:47 UTC

Or not. Many died doing just that.
Garrett Speeter - 2016/04/14 00:36:32 UTC

Just realized how insensitive my remark sounds (or reads)
Sorry guys.
And, they are not moving themselves- while their feet are still on the ground- with their hands (I'm not that strong).
Try using your ears. All your muscles seem to be in your head.
B) Why should it seem unreasonable to expect a demonstration? Who are you, exactly?
Your worst nightmare. One of the several guys over there who are revealing you to be the fraud you are. Talk to your Jim Keen-Intellect Rooney buddy if you wanna get an idea what it's gonna feel like.
Why would it be reasonable? You're the guy getting free information and knowledge, and you're basically demanding MORE free work from the guy spending (wasting?) hours trying to inform and educate.
I keep proving to you how and why global warming is a hoax perpetrated by a conspiracy of climatologists interested only in sucking up grant money. But you won't make any effort to get it.
No. It is not reasonable. If I had the video already, of course I'd share it.
Fuck yeah! This passion to inform and educate just goes so far, ya know. It stops at the individuals who haven't already been informed and educated.
But I haven't gone out to video-document a theory that I already proved to myself to be true.
And that must've been a pretty monumental task because you're exceptionally skeptical whenever listening to yourself trying to ten thousand percent convince your other self of something of which it wasn't ten thousand percent convinced before.
What would be the point? Why would I spend the time?
Beats me. You've already declared victory and left three times:
- 2016/04/14 03:41:18 UTC
- 2016/04/14 20:49:27 UTC
- 2016/04/21 19:06:19 UTC
I care enough to share the info here, and I care enough to even go rounds with you (thus far, but I'm done)...
Four times.
...but I guess I don't care enough to go spend a couple hours setting up a glider, running around, filming myself, editing, posting, and then explaining myself to you?
So what you're saying is that you're one hundred percent successful in teaching people who've never touched a hang glider before to fly properly but not all that good teaching people who were flying hang gliders a decade before you were born how to fly hang gliders. Polar opposite of what I'd have expected. Go figure.
If you don't care enough to go outside and try it... then yes, it's unreasonable to expect me to. Don't ya think?
No. You're the instructor...
Ryan Voight - New York - 55366
- H5 - 2009/09/24 - Paul Voight
-- AT FL PL TAT TFL TPL AWCL CL FSL RLF TUR XC
-- ADV INST, EXAM, INST ADMIN, MNTR, TAND INST
- P3 - 2013/06/16 - Chris Santacroce
-- FL FSL RS TUR
-- BAS INST
...whose life ambition is to make hang gliding the best it can be. If this guy's just a particularly tough nut to educate you should welcome him as a challenge. Figuring out how to get through to somebody so dense and clueless that he won't even accept what you've already proven to yourself would help you immeasurably on the one in a thousand chance that you get a similarly dense and clueless student showing up at Fly High.

It appears to me that all he wants is a five second video clip of a demonstration of what you've already proven to yourself. Isn't demonstration the core element of u$hPa instruction? Wouldn't such a five second clip be an immeasurably valuable teaching tool for ALL your students? Not to mention all other students across the globe regardless of language differences?

See this one photograph here?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/aerotowrelease/8307037970/

I one hundred percent guarantee you that it took a minimum of a thousand times the time and effort to set up, shoot, and photoshop that it would take you to put a five second clip of you running out your next landing executing no-hands weight shift roll control and putting it up on YouTube. And that doesn't take into any account building the model.

And my reward has been one guy in France duplicating my system from my photos and documentation and scores of Jack and Davis Show and Grebloville shits pissing all over my work and making Rube Goldberg cracks as they merrily continue maiming and killing themselves and their students on their long track record, easily reachable, bent pin, Industry Standard junk. I'd need a gun to my head to even start thinking about duplicating that effort but I'm glad I did it when I did it.

And if this guy's just deliberately trying to sabotage the legitimate work you're doing out of nothing other than maliciousness - which would be the only other reasonable assumption I can come up with - you should and need to destroy him - which is what Team Kite Strings did to Jim Keen-Intellect Rooney a bit over three years ago. He was a huge menace to competent hang gliding and needed to be and was neutralized.
C) No one's forcing this upon you. Disagree? Cool. Carry on, I'm not stopping you. Plenty O people that disagree with Ryan Voight on one thing or another, you are not alone Image
Doesn't sound like you're really all that dedicated to advancing the sport. What must the source whom you respect for their knowledge, experience, brainpower, wisdom, maturity, etc... who shared with you his Newer Theory be thinking of you now? What are the chances they'll now consider sharing with you their Newer Newer Theory when it comes out?
Probably not right, in this case... but never alone...

Don't believe that? I don't really care. Don't believe this theory about how roll control works? I don't really care.

I've done MORE than my part here to share knowledge, wisdom that was shared with me, and my extensive personal experience and research before "buying in" to these newer ideas. If you have the same reluctance I had- which is understandable!- do what I did... get off your ass.

Or don't. Whatever Image

Love,
Ryan
Yeah thanks, Ryan. We got what it is you DON'T care about. But we're getting more and more confused about what it is you DO care about.
Unless someone addresses a question at me DIRECTLY-
Someone, of course, who's good at rubbing people the right way and thus permitted to speak in Jack's Living Room - u$hPa's Official Unofficial Forum...
...I'm going to exercise my best self control to not post here again.
Fuck yeah! If that doesn't convince all the doubters that you've proven the Newer Theory to yourself nothing will!
The info is here, outside info is available, if you want the truth, seek it out...
Just don't ever expect to see any actual video evidence that doesn't flatly contradict the truth.
...or, don't... we can still fly together...
Not at was for the previous seventeen seasons the most important and highest volume site in the Mid Atlantic we can't.
...share stories over beers...
Why? I can share stories over the wire so much more effectively from here on my keyboard.
...no hard feelings friend...
Careful with those assumptions, boychick.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

Bouyo - 2016/04/22 00:14:17 UTC

Ryan is right in all of the points.
In the total absence of video evidence who ISN'T right on all the points?
In the example of 'kiting' the glider, it's just a difference in proportion of weight that's loading the glider and influencing the CG, as compared to fully loaded in-flight weight.
Speaking of loads...
I think the point to take home is that we should strive to apply weight shift through the hang strap...
And if we're a bit uncertain of our abilities we can always sign up for one of Fly High's striving-to-apply-weight-shift-through-the-hang-strap clinics.
...in order to control the glider on launch, and NOT control bar man handling.
Hands-free hang gliding!

Is this a joke ?
Steve Davy - 2011/09/03 06:20:53 UTC
Manned Kiting
Daniel F. Poynter

"The greatest dangers are a rope break or a premature release."- Richard Johnson
"A bad flyer won't hurt a pin man but a bad pin man can kill a flyer." - Bill Bennett
"Never take your hands off the bar." - Tom Peghiny
Cragin Shelton - 2011/09/03 23:57:33 UTC

Nice Reference Citation

Do you REALLY think that there has been no progress in knowledge about the practical applied physics and engineering of hang gliding in 37 years? OR that an early, 3+ decade old, information book written by a non-pilot is a solid reference when you have multiple high experience current instructors involved in the discussion?

(Poynter had a successful book about parachuting, and in 1973 saw the nascent sport of hang gliding as another topic he could write about. His forte is how to write non-fiction books, not hang gliding, or even adventure sports in general. See "Writing Nonfiction.Turning Thoughts into Books," Dan Poynter, 2000.)
Hang gliding has finally evolved to the point of realizing man's age-old dream of flying like a bird with no input whatsoever from his upper limbs. (Even fucking Superman uses arms for roll control while he's flying faster than a speeding bullet.)
Believing that you can apply roll corrections on launch by pulling laterally on the down tubes will just stop the glider from flying properly.
Compatibly with official u$hPa aeronautical theory.
Haven't you guys run with a glider on your back in a field and played chase the ace with your friend who's running this way and that?
Yes Bouyo. We've ALL done that. I'm surprised that you're even posing that question.
The only control frame inputs there are to keep the nose down.
1. As you can clearly see from Ryan's public hang gliding instruction video:

Ryan Voight - 2015/02/22

If you teach them how to pull the glider with the harness they'll learn to steer the glider through weight shift simply by running toward their target.
067-24800
http://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1677/25810972604_00955761e0_o.png
068-25004
http://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1566/26415815405_b906f753c7_o.png
069-25104
070-25307
http://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1697/26142964020_2c9a565de8_o.png
071-25412
http://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1647/25813034303_d557719e93_o.png
An excellent cue is to try to pull the glider through the air with the harness.
062-22100
http://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1676/26323471862_6318b4e1bf_o.png

051-20014
http://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1483/26349644531_e0bbe6fd69_o.png

2. Can you explain to me why, when we reach the trigger point in foot launch conditions that prompts us to employ crew we instantly go from needing zero torque input to having our assistant(s)...

04-1309
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8622/16079230097_1b70d2e691_o.png

...way the fuck out at the end(s) of the sidewire(s)?

3. I actually did play "chase the ace" within my first couple days of hang gliding instruction. But I didn't need some stupid ace running across the dunes in front of me. I volunteered to "carry" the trainer back to the shop - into the east breeze. Didn't clip in, ran across the plateau and down shallow slopes with the glider flying great doing beautiful S-curves all the way to the bypass. It was the single most valuable learning experience I ever had in the course of my quarter century plus career. But according to you assholes it never happened because one can't effectively torque control a glider with a loose strap.

P.S. EVERYBODY who has any claim to being a pilot does this every time he hauls his glider to the breakdown area every time conditions make it possible.

Think I need to take a break. Going blind again.

P.S. Ryan... Hopefully the 2016/04/03 Nancy towing fatality is shaping up to do to you what the 2013/02/02 towing inconvenience fatality did to Jim Keen-Intellect Rooney. I can't see how you're not irreparably totally fucked now.

And, people of varying ages, one of the many reasons Ryan doesn't have the time, energy, and inclination to produce the five second "weight shift only" roll control clip for which everyone's been hounding him is because it will glaringly contradict the core of the five minute and widely circulated:

production.