General discussion about the sport of hang gliding
Tad Eareckson

Re: 2016/04/03 Tres Pinos fatality

Post by Tad Eareckson »

http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=34243
Fatal HG crash in Tres Pinos CA 4-3-2016
Stephan Mentler - 2016/04/13 02:26:59 UTC

@ Dave,

The primary answer is time spent on instruction and low and slow - Steve trains to standard not time. I went to Steve as an experienced H2 looking toward getting my H3. I had a great deal of aerotow experience - probably a few hundred tows at that point. I figured it would be simply a matter of hooking me up to the truck and towing me aloft. I am glad that was not his approach. We started low and slow. I did not progress to higher altitudes until I demonstrated mastery of the skills for the level of towing. Once again, I am very glad that this is Steve's approach. Despite my experience aerotowing, had he pulled me higher off the bat - which seems to be what occurred with a new H1 - I would likely have been challenged with possible negative outcomes. To me the high AOA associated with surface towing was very different. After several lessons (each lesson comprising a few hours of instruction), I was put on the truck and knew exactly what to do and what to expect. It made for a very enjoyable and stress free flight. I actually have my first truck tow on video. I will try to post it on youtube in the next couple of days - you will see that Steve is a very thorough instructor.

With regard to equipment, I believe Steve uses purpose built equipment for the task at hand - i.e. low and slow has you on a low and slow scooter. My only job was to fly the glider. I did not have to actuate a release until later in the instruction - even then, as I remember it, his design was such that if I failed to release by a certain point, power was stopped and I glided safely to the ground (i.e. the return pulley is far enough in front of the release-by-point, that there is sufficient slack to make a safe decent if you don't release off of a higher scooter tow).
This is such a massive load o' crap. This guy has had a Two rating for a million years; has Four plus level skills, experience, airtime; wants his long overdue Three; correctly figures all he should need to do is hop on the back of the truck and get three consecutive spot landings officially observed and signed off on.

Steve Exceptionally-Knowledgeable Wendt says, "No fuckin' way, dude! You need a thousand dollars with of Hang Zero level scooter tow training to safely advance you through the intricacies and subtleties of surface towing - which is a way bigger can of worms than AT - before you'll have a reasonable chance of survival on big boy platform."

So Stephan agrees - it's not like he actually has a CHOICE here - and Steve puts him back in diapers in his nice safe playpen (which would actually be dangerous as hell if it weren't within the walls of a padded cell) and convinces him he's learning skills and theory critical for his survival back out in the real world.

So he wastes all that time and $$$$ on Steve Exceptionally-Knowledgeable Wendt's snake oil until he's finally permitted to take a real truck tow in fake conditions and gets told "Work on these skills back home and come see me next year to get those spots observed." And now he's gotta convince himself that he wasn't totally scammed - that his time and money were well spent and prevented him from likely having been challenged with possible negative outcomes, probably along the lines of being left with both arms broken gurgling his life out on the runway under what was left of his glider.

And it probably makes him feel a little better about himself if he promotes the scam to others.

Fuck Steve and his Blue Sky Scooter Towing program. What it's good for is getting Hang Zeroes safely off the ground, up to three feet, and back with a bit of experience in pitch control - which is pretty brain dead intuitive anyway for just about every bozo who's ever clipped into a glider. It's the towing equivalent of a shallow Jockey's Ridge dune or Dockweiler Beach. It DOES not produce PILOTS qualified for real world soaring launches, tows, flights, approaches, landings. It just gives Steve an ability to promote himself as the Master of Hang Gliding Safety 'cause he's never had anyone drown in his kiddie wading pool.

Steve's a thousand times worse than totally useless with respect to real world hang gliding carnage - Mike Haas, Bill Priday, Steve Elliot, Zack Marzec, Joe Julik, Jesse Fulkersin, Rafi Lavin.

When we early wavers were coming up through towing - stationary winch, static, boat, truck, aero - it was just a matter of hooking free flyers who knew up/down/left right up to rope ends and taking it easy for a hundred feet while they adjusted to the extra responsiveness one gets when routing tension (extra weight) through one's body. And there were ZERO serious incidents resulting from this approach. Serious towing incidents are almost always the consequence of towing someone who can't fly or towing in shit conditions someone who can fly all on equipment that won't permit flyers to get off or stay on as they see fit.

Gradually the inevitable scammers in the sport realized they could drag the process out interminably and make relative megabucks under the guise safety and responsibility - 'specially the motherfuckers with tandem ratings and facilities.

And anybody who thinks that there's some actual substance to Steve Exceptionally-Knowledgeable Wendt... Find some quotes from some of his protégés relaying his genius to others. Anybody who's an actual positive influence on the sport will fade into the background as his ideas and techiniques became universal. If Steve Wendt, Mike Robertson, Dennis Pagen all get hit by trucks tomorrow, or had never been born to begin with, what difference would it make or have made?

I myself have made an actual difference. If I got hit by a truck tomorrow one of a small minority of voices would be lost but there'd be others left to continue the messages every bit as competently 'cause that was always MY goal. Steve, Mike, Dennis don't have any protégés 'cause all they've ever really been about have been themselves.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

Davis Straub - 2016/04/13 02:50:05 UTC

http://www.willswing.com/scooter-tow/
Davis Straub - 2016/04/13 02:53:37 UTC

Dave Jacob

Both.
Davis Straub - 2016/04/13 02:57:13 UTC

Steph,

I thought that you were in Jacksonville now.
Speaking of total fucking dickheads.
Dave Jacob - 2016/04/13 04:03:09 UTC

Hey Steph. Thanks for the insiders view on Blue Sky.
More than you can imagine.
And Davis, I appreciate the quick feedback as well as the insight.
Is he a great guy or what!
But here's the thing. At this point we are questioning how slowly MSC advances their students and how good the judgment is of the instructors relative to Blue Sky.
The standard by which everything in hang gliding is measured.
Is anyone hear able to make that comparison?
Check out Kite Strings sometime.
I learned to fly through them back in '83 and took a refresher in the mid 90's after a lapse. So I can't speak to their new regiment.
They have an army? Good thing. They'll probably be needing it soon.
I know their methodology has evolved over the years in part from external learning and through their own development.
Evolution. I think we're about to see the Darwin effect kicking in bigtime.
So they don't tend to get stuck with one thing without at least some reasoning.
"Lessee... One person fucked up a three-string connection, we didn't check him on the launch pad, had no guillotine, and he almost died. Let's put everyone on two-strings which won't work under load." The "reasoning" of most of the douchebags running hang gliding tends to be a lot worse than no reasoning at all.
As for the motor size, I would think it has the disadvantage of needing a more highly skilled operator.
And if you've got a highly skilled operator - Pat Denevan, with fifteen million pulls under his belt, for example - you're definitely good to go.
But if it's got a seasoned on the ball operator, I see no reason why a well designed power plant shouldn't be able to be configured to offer the excellent control needed to both pull and rapidly de-energize a tow.
They CAN'T rapidly - or even unrapidly - de-energize a tow. They proved that for all the world to see with Lin Lyons and then they went to Infallible Two-String Releases so now the guy on the glider end can't rapidly or unrapidly de-energize a tow EITHER.
Specifics are in the hardware design and I don't know if any of us are privy to that.
We'll just add that to the shitload of stuff we're not privy to.
We've lost a student and I think that affects all of us profoundly even if we never met her.
Why? Should we be more concerned about her than some nameless villager who just got blown to hell in a suicide bombing at a marketplace in Afghanistan? And speaking of nameless... Now, ten days after the fact, all we have is a gender, first name, and approximate age.
Something went wrong...
Nothing WENT wrong. Lotsa shit was DONE wrong.
...and if the correct cause can be identified changes can be made.
If I blow Jim Keen-Intellect Rooney's fuckin' head off with a sawed off shotgun in the middle of the afternoon in Times Square is there any chance I can get you on my jury?
Maybe it will be a solution already in place at Blue Sky. Maybe it will be something completely new.
Get fucked. He put one of his beginner products who had no clue how to roll control a glider up on a release he knew she wouldn't have a snowball's chance in hell of using in an emergency using a winch with a mile and a half of line out and back and no guillotine, hauled her up too fast and high with her hands on the control tubes at shoulder or ear height where she couldn't control the glider, and locked her out and killed her.

And the fact that this was heavy duty engine versus a scooter tow had shit to do with anything. She wasn't towed as fast and high as she was because that was the minimum the winch was capable of doing. She was towed with the tension she was because that was exactly the tension Pat elected to use.
I just think it's worth letting the investigation run it's course...
The investigation had run its course before it started. The stated purpose of the investigation was "to review the facts and produce an accident report". If one of the facts Mitch reviewed was that Pat had opened up on her with an assault rifle they were still gonna PRODUCE an ACCIDENT report stating that she had suffered fatal injuries.

And if you'd read the SOPs you'd know that if Tim Herr decides the report casts any u$hPa member in a less than stellar light he shreds it before anyone else gets to see it.

And if you'd bothered to read any of the existing fatality reports from the past couple decades you'd know their all total crap. And even in the days of Doug Hildreth whenever a student was killed in an instructional situation and/or on a tow flight it was the instructor, school, driver who was submitting the report.
...with hands on data and first person testimony before we become too certain.
We're certain. We know that Mitch had zilch interest in first person testimony by virtue of AdamG's post stating that as of the better part of a week after the fact he hadn't been contacted for his account.
Mark G. Forbes - 2016/04/13 04:47:17 UTC

Re: Transparency of process, please
Janica Lee - 2016/04/12 07:57:32 UTC

Am I honestly the only one floored by the fact eyewitnesses haven't been contacted a week after the accident? Usually a 1st step in a non-biased investigation.
We have an experienced accident investigator working on this incident. I have not heard anything about who has or has not been contacted, but if there is an eyewitness to this accident who has not been interviewed, I'd appreciate a PM and I'll make sure that gets done. There has been a great deal of rampant speculation here, and I'd really appreciate it if you would all take a breather and wait for a report on the actual facts. These things take time to compile, but we'll get it out when it's ready.
Mark G. Forbes - 2016/04/13 04:47:17 UTC
...re emerges from his accident reporting bunker in a doomed effort to exercise a little more damage control.
We...
Who's "We"?
...have an experienced accident investigator...
Very looooong track record. Proven experienced accident investigator that works.
...working...
See? Told ya.
...on this incident.
Working to WHAT, Mark? Motherfucker towed a One who'd never been prone on a hang glider into a lockout with a release she couldn't use with a gun to her head. So the gun was fired and her brain was destroyed. How much more work do we need on this one? Trying to find out her last name?
I have not heard anything about who has or has not been contacted...
Bullshit...
AdamG - 2016/04/10 15:37:46 UTC

Ushpa hasn't contacted me and I'm not sure they will.
Every last goddam one of us heard who hadn't been contacted and we know from your first post why not. Has absolutely nothing to do with REVIEWING the FACTS.
...but if there is an eyewitness to this accident who has not been interviewed, I'd appreciate a PM and I'll make sure that gets done.
Why don't you have Mitch interview him on The Jack Show so's we'll ALL be sure it gets done?
There has been a great deal of rampant speculation here...
That's because there's been a great deal of rampant information suppression there.
...and I'd really appreciate it if you would all take a breather and wait for a report on the actual facts.
1. I'm sure you would. You never fail to. It's in the interest of hang gliding, however, to do the exact opposite of what you'd appreciate.

http://ozreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=30971
Zach Marzec
William Olive - 2013/02/27 20:55:06 UTC

Like the rest of us, you have no idea what really happened on that tow.
We probably never will know.
Jim Rooney - 2013/02/28 01:17:55 UTC

Well said Billo
I'm a bit sick of all the armchair experts telling me how my friend died.

Ah but hg'ers get so uppity when you tell them not to speculate.
2. Not everyone who's been engaging in a great deal of rampant speculation is over there, Mark.
These things take time to compile, but we'll get it out when it's ready.
Sure ya will, Mark...

http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=32681
Tandem crash in LV (speculation thread)
Mark G. Forbes - 2015/03/30 23:29:59 UTC

Please, no speculation

Hi folks,

I understand the interest in learning the cause of this, but could we please not speculate on the forum? We have a very experienced tow administrator (Mitch Shipley) headed to Las Vegas to do an accident investigation, and when we learn what really happened we'll convey that information to our members. He'll be working with two of the local instructors there to get to the truth.

Meanwhile, please refrain from offering speculation or opinion on what might have happened, what might have been theoretically done to prevent it and so on. Emotions are raw, people are hurting, and uninformed speculation doesn't help anybody. News reports are of little use since they're written by people who have no idea how our sport works or what is typical.

Thanks for your understanding and patience.
http://ozreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=41697
Two Dead on Hang Glider
Mark G. Forbes - 2015/04/12 17:26:18 UTC

The REAL real answer is that I don't know. I haven't heard from Mitch, Martin is in Japan right now on vacation, the EC hasn't been notified. When I have actual facts I'll answer your question, even if that answer turns out to be "I can't discuss the details."
Mark G. Forbes - 2015/04/17 01:19:44 UTC

Nuances

As to this specific accident, I've heard nothing as yet about the current state of the investigation. I'm confident that when it's complete and there's something to report, I'll hear about it then. Unless there's a compelling reason not to report on it, I'll pass along what I know. If there is a compelling reason which prevents me from discussing it, I'll tell you that too.
Mitch Shipley - 2015/04/17 21:44:06 UTC

Since then we have independently analyzed what we have and continued to assist the local police with their investigation, which likely will take some time (weeks) to finalize, as is the case with most aviation accident investigations. Barring any findings that warrant telling USHPA pilots immediately for safety reasons (and we don’t have any findings like that to date) there will be no reports about what happened until after the investigation is complete to preclude putting out speculative or incorrect information.
Davis Straub - 2015/04/18 21:44:29 UTC

Enough

Ryan Voight - 2016/04/13 05:07:31 UTC

I don't mean to pick at you Mark- I appreciate your time and efforts more than I could convey here- but aren't we still waiting on the report from the other H1 student pilot that died during instruction?
1. He was a TWO.
2. We're still waiting on a ton of shit. If you go to u$hPa's website you can see that no hang glider has bought it since 2015/08/24 - Craig Pirazzi.
Again I'll say, I don't mean this towards you, but I want you to understand why it is hard to sit quite and wait on faith that "the truth will come out"... and that Tim will "allow" all the facts to be released (even though HE works for USHPA, and not the other way around!)
Right.
AdamG - 2016/04/13 05:17:59 UTC

I was interviewed by Mitch and told him what I saw. I'm not going to speak further about it at this point.
That's OK, Adam. You've gotten the information into good hands. You have no further responsibility to inform the hang gliding community about anything.
Mark G. Forbes - 2016/04/13 06:56:08 UTC

I assume you're talking about the towing accident in Florida earlier this year.
Nah, we're talking about the stunningly similar towing CRASH in Florida on the third anniversary of the unfortunate Quest invisible dust devil incident.
I have not seen anything on it, but I'll follow up and find out where we're at with the investigation and report.
That's OK, Mark. The fact that we've already heard NOTHING on it already tells us where we're at with the investigation and report.
The purpose of publishing information on accidents is to highlight those factors which may be addressed by improved procedures...
But WON'T be because...

http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=27736
Increase in our USHpA dues
Mark G. Forbes - 2012/12/20 06:21:33 UTC

We're re-working the accident reporting system, but again it's a matter of getting the reports submitted and having a volunteer willing to do the detail work necessary to get them posted. There are also numerous legal issues associated with accident reports, which we're still wrestling with. It's a trade-off between informing our members so they can avoid those kinds of accidents in the future, and exposing ourselves to even more lawsuits by giving plaintiff's attorneys more ammunition to shoot at us.

Imagine a report that concludes, "If we'd had a procedure "x" in place, then it would have probably prevented this accident. And we're going to put that procedure in place at the next BOD meeting." Good info, and what we want to be able to convey. But what comes out at trial is, "Ladies and Gentlemen of the Jury, my client suffered injury because USHPA knew or should have known that a safety procedure was not in place, and was therefore negligent and at fault." We're constantly walking this line between full disclosure and handing out nooses at the hangmen's convention.
...to prevent future accidents.
So why don't you tell us all about all the improved procedures we've implemented to prevent future accidents in the past? When all the fuckin' Jack Show douchebags were making cracks about Tad's Rube Goldberg release system the Friday and Saturday before last wasn't Nancy one of those future accidents which could've been prevented?
The purpose is not to provide details which do not further that goal.
How the fuck do you know what details will and won't further that goal? If Pat goes down for negligent homicide and u$hPa is sued out of existence is there no possibility that procedures will be implemented to prevent future accidents?
I do not know whether there were procedural or training factors which could be improved in the case of the Florida accident...
Neither do I, Mark. It seems to me that everybody was doing everything just fine. Probably an invisible dust devil.
...or whether the accident was a result of failure to observe the existing rules and standards.
Wills Wing / Blue Sky / Ryan Voight Productions - 2007/03

NEVER CUT THE POWER...
Reduce Gradually
Increase Gradually
I have not seen a report on the mid-air at McClure either, and I don't know if one is being written. I'll ask. In that specific case, I don't know that an accident analysis could provide any new information; two pilots failed to see-and-avoid, and one of them crashed.
We know ONE of them failed to see-and-avoid and we know that we have right of way rules which recognize that much of the time ONE of the gliders has no possibility of seeing the other. And since it was Ken Muscio who died and we have no statement from Stan Albright who landed OK we've got a pretty good idea whose fault it was.
They both knew the rules, they both knew the site, they both knew each other...and somehow they managed to collide anyway.
No shit. See above.
We need to focus...
...on learning what aspects of training or operating limits can be improved to enhance safety.
When are we gonna be doing that? After we're really sure that the US bloodbath that began on 2015/03/27 is really over?
I'll see what I can find out about pending reports. As we transition to the RRG, we may have better visibility into accidents when we own the entire process of handling liability claims.
Is there any way we can get in touch with Nancy's family and let them know?
Ryan Voight - 2016/04/13 07:12:41 UTC

Thank you Mark Image
Thank you for thanking Mark, Ryan. Image
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

Robert Kesselring - 2016/04/13 10:54:00 UTC
Mark G. Forbes - 2016/04/13 06:56:08 UTC

The purpose of publishing information on accidents is to highlight those factors which may be addressed by improved procedures, to prevent future accidents. The purpose is not to provide details which do not further that goal.
What makes more detailed accident reports useful, is that it gives readers a mental picture of what was going on leading up to, and at the time of the accident. Then, when we are out flying, we can recognize similar situations. This is an ability which is lost when you boil all the details out of the story.
Along with all the relevant facts.
I know there are good reasons to keep certain details out of the public domain that may be used against us in court.
You know more than I do.
Is there a possibility of releasing fully detailed accident reports a number of years after the incident?
Why bother? None of you motherfuckers will look at the thirty year old archives to see what was happening and confirm what the obvious fixes were that were never implemented.
After the threat of litigation has passed? Even 5 or 10 years after the fact, detailed accident reports would be extremely valuable. The hazards we face don't change much on those time scales.
See above. Strange as it may seem we've never had a need to reinvent aviation just 'cause we're using a moderately different control system.
Dave Gills - 2016/04/13 11:23:54 UTC

H-0 is low and slow
H-1 is not
H-2 can be AT qualified

An H-1 is starting to learn how to use a release...
07-300
http://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7441/12980980635_a22762812d_o.png

Simple.
...but has not likely experienced a lockout yet.
Nancy did.
I think the major issue here is the lockout/failure to release.
No. Most of the time by the point you've gotten into a low level lockout it's not gonna matter much whether or not you've released. If we go back and release Nancy two seconds before impact that outcome ain't gonna be great. Need to abort these things BEFORE we progress into a lockout.
Think about your 1st lockout experience.
The one that mattered was when I came off the cart a bit crooked and Mike Robertson hit the gas - à la...
Ryan Voight - 2016/04/06 22:08:19 UTC

Does the tow operator instinctively try to "pull" the student back on course with the winch- which actually would do the opposite, accelerating them into deeper trouble.
'Cept I'm convinced now that the motherfucker did it DELIBERATELY - consistent with all the other ways he screwed me and screws other people over.
I don't know about you but I damn near soiled myself.

Image Image
Davis Straub - 2016/04/13 13:21:40 UTC

The USHPA accident reporting system will not provide details about the two ground based towing systems to USHPA members.
The way it always used to in the magazine just about every month.
Only a very few people will have access to those details.
Fuck 'em.
Mitch has the option of writing a public report about ground based towing in general with what he believes to be important aspects that need to be considered.
Yeah, let's all base our procedures on what Mitch Shipley BELIEVES.
He is not in the business of reporting publicly about specific accidents.
We KNOW what he's in the business of, thank you very much Davis. And it's nothing to do with getting hang gliding on the right track.
And that report, if Mitch writes it, may be a long ways away.
Ya think?
I very much respect Mitch's judgment...
I never had the slightest doubt. I started hating his fuck guts with his first Davis Show post.
...and hope that clear guidance can come from anything that he comes up with.
Sure ya do, Davis. When has CLARITY ever NOT been your goal and ideal?
But do not in any way expect details about what caused these two towing incidents.
Thanks for warning us.
Davis Straub - 2016/04/13 13:24:37 UTC
Dave Jacob - 2016/04/13 04:03:09 UTC

As for the motor size, I would think it has the disadvantage of needing a more highly skilled operator. But if it's got a seasoned on the ball operator, I see no reason why a well designed power plant shouldn't be able to be configured to offer the excellent control needed to both pull and rapidly de-energize a tow. Specifics are in the hardware design and I don't know if any of us are privy to that.
That is exactly how the many other tow operators feel. And now we have a dead girl...
Yeah. A GIRL. In her forties.
...and apparently two other serious incidents at the same location.
Because of motor size. Freewheeled drum in Lin's case and Scott was off tow when he broke his glider. But since Pat had a heavy duty winch let's blame everything we can on that. Probably all using Tad-O-Links too.
As well as a dead new pilot in Florida.
Yeah...

http://www.ocala.com/article/20160219/ARTICLES/160219707?p=1&tc=pg
Hang glider had dreamed of flying solo from a mountain | Ocala.com
Austin L. Miller - 2016/02/19 16:13 EST

Donovan said they cut the power and the nose of the glider may have popped up. It then went to the right and hit the ground.
The motor size was the problem.
It is the little details that matter.
So make sure you totally fuck up on the big stuff to muddy the waters to the maximum extent possible.
You get away with it a few thousand times and then one little slip up and boom, someone is dead.
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-bRrpHNa68iY/UQ6Pv9gRZyI/AAAAAAAAjTg/Hc22bx5122Q/s2048/20943781_BG1.jpg

Zach Marzec
Davis Straub - 2013/02/13 15:45:22 UTC

We have no agreement that a stronger weaklink would make it safer (again, I fly with a slightly stronger weaklink).
Davis Straub - 2016/04/13 13:28:46 UTC

Unless I have been grossly misinformed...
Nah. Grossly misinforming people is YOUR job.
...about how the incident reporting system works at the USHPA there will not be an pending reports about specific accidents. Whether that will change in the future, I seriously doubt.
I seriously doubt hang gliding HAS a future.
Publicly available reports coming out of our incident reporting system will not be about specific incidents...
That's OK. Mine will.
...but about measures that we need to take to avoid incidents in general.
Sure they will. So what are they using for weak links at Quest nowadays and what was wrong with the old stuff?
flyhg1 - 2016/04/13 13:31:34 UTC

The investigation process and release of details surrounding accidents will never be clean until the body doing the investigation isn't also the body that has the most to lose. The RRG will make it worse, not better.

It is an unfortunate conflict of interest that can cripple progress that might otherwise be made in the safety of the sport.
Bull's eye. How obvious does it need to be that everything's going backwards?
Davis Straub - 2016/04/13 15:23:28 UTC

It has nothing to do with any perceived conflict of Interest.
Not any PERCEIVED conflict of interest. Glaringly obvious ACTUAL conflict of interest.
The USHPA incident database https://airs.ushpa.aero/ relies on pilot and witness reports.
Just went to that link. Unfortunately, I didn't have a report to begin.
These reports are not created by the USHPA but by USHPA members and others.
Oh. So one doesn't hafta be a u$hPa member to report something. So how come u$hPa only makes reports available to members and demands that they agree not to decimate them?
Brian Scharp - 2016/04/13 15:47:01 UTC
It is the little details that matter.
But do not in any way expect details about what caused these two towing incidents.
Good point.
Davis Straub - 2016/04/13 15:50:44 UTC

Ah, I thought that someone would bring up the use of that word with two different meanings.

Details matter. Specific details about a specific incident linked to that incident in a report do not matter.
Yes Davis. Because YOU'VE TOLD US they don't.
The details that I would expect to see in a statement created by Mitch would not refer to a specific incident but would be specific about what we need to do to change things.

Clear now?
It was clear as a bell before.
flyhg1 - 2016/04/13 16:03:33 UTC
Davis Straub - 2016/04/13 15:23:28 UTC

It has nothing to do with any perceived conflict of Interest.
I am talking about the current state of affairs, not the database. The current state of affairs with regard to access to accident data and the effect it has on safety most certainly is affected by a conflict of interest and to suggest it is only a perception is unrealistic.
To suggest it is only a perception is total fucking bullshit.
NMERider - 2016/04/13 16:12:10 UTC

As I understand it, the AIRS database exists in order to provide the community with the maximum level of relevant accident details so that we may all benefit. It is organized behind an academic research veil that shields it from discovery during legal proceedings (lawsuits). That's the good news.

The bad news as I see it is that under the new RRG, the USHPA will be better able to put up a fight and not settle out of court. As a consequence, there will be discovery regarding both the case being litigated and every similar incident that can be discovered during the process. All or part of this discovered information may become a part of the public record as trial exhibits or elsewhere in the court record. This means that going forward there may be an increasing amount of accident data and potential witnesses for future accidents that go to trial.

So the old insurer's policy of settling which served to help keep data from prying eyes will no longer be as much in play. This means everyone needs to be extra vigilant about bad practices that are likely to lead to liability claims. The old culture of silence, hand wringing and otherwise self-serving behavior needs to be changed to one where these incidents are prevented from recurring at the early stages.
My 2p Worth! Image
Here's mine...

What's the trend? Every Wills Wing owner's manual ever published for every glider model they've produced since the Middle Ages has specified the sidewire stomp test as the most important preflight check. Yet instructors won't teach it, many instructors specially tell their students never to do it, the percentage of flyers who do it is pretty microscopic, and, overall, the climate is hostile to the procedure.

The information on the 2015/08/23 Rafi Lavin fatality was wide fucking open from Day One - complete with photographs. There is ZERO probability that the wire that failed just after launch wouldn't have failed just before launch if given the chance.

So what changes? u$hPa will yank your rating for not wearing a helmet while clipped in in the setup area or expel you for acting in a manner contrary to the interests of The Corporation but if you refuse to preflight your glider in the manner specified in the owner's manual because you deem the risk of grinding a wire into a sharp rock unacceptably high then who gives a flying fuck?

What if Rafi's wire had held long enough for him to get into a position to crater into a crowd?

The culture's totally broken. The sport's been an asshole magnet since Day One and the assholes welcomed all the sociopaths who came in to take it over. There's NOTHING that's gonna turn this ship around.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

Ryan Voight - 2016/04/13 16:12:11 UTC

IMHO, the lesson is what it always has been; Do not put a student in the air higher than they have the skills for.
1. Oh good. Another humble opinion.

2. What's a student? How 'bout all these "Always A Student" assholes?

3. How 'bout Zack Marzec? Did he have the skills to be at the altitude he made it to on his last flight? If we got a do-over would you recommend higher or lower?

4. Nancy. How high was she and how much worse would things ended for her if we locked her out at five hundred feet instead?
This is not specific to instruction via towing. But I would venture to say it's a lot easier when towing... just a few degrees of more twist in the wrist to throttle up... versus carrying a glider higher up a hill, before hooking in, hang checking etc
Et cetera, of course, omitting a hook-in check. A hook-in check gives us a false sense of security - and we just did a hang check fer chrisake.
I made this to promote the idea of skill building BEFORE we put a student in a position where they could hurt themselves without having those skills. I know different schools/training sites might use different steps in their progression, and that's great- as long as they've thought about 1) What skills are needed 2) How do we teach them and most importantly 3) How do we check that our students consistently show the skills they need to do the next thing (before having them do it!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvhzoVC1UqM
Cool. Let's have a look...

Simple Progression for Teaching Hang Gliding
Ryan Voight - 2015/02/22

If you teach them how to pull the glider with the harness they'll learn to steer the glider through weight shift simply by running toward their target.
So...

067-24800
http://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1677/25810972604_00955761e0_o.png
068-25004
http://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1566/26415815405_b906f753c7_o.png
069-25104
http://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1572/26142964830_289bc3f2cb_o.png
070-25307
http://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1697/26142964020_2c9a565de8_o.png
071-25412
http://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1647/25813034303_d557719e93_o.png

How come he appears to be exerting considerable torqueing effort with his hands on the control tubes at shoulder level where he can't control the glider, just like in full flight, if he can be just as - if not more - effective with his hands at his sides like:

051-20014
http://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1483/26349644531_e0bbe6fd69_o.png

who's looking considerably more comfortable? Why doesn't he just let go at this point:

069-25104

here? He's running towards his target, the strap's pulling hard to the left, the glider doesn't know or care what means he's using to pull the hang loop to the left... Pretty fuckin' obvious the glider will immediately pop level and yaw to the intended direction if he'd just take his hands off and let it.

How 'bout this:

051-20014

guy again? Why does he put his hands back on the control tubes...

052-20202
http://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1661/25810975414_a496df4e24_o.png
053-20212
http://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1680/26349643801_1ca4022c15_o.png
054-20302
http://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1472/25810974614_df53abb7b8_o.png
055-20312
http://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1453/25810974134_633bb8dc61_o.png
056-20408
http://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1579/26323472302_72900ede02_o.png

...and push out to stop the glider? Why doesn't he just dig his heels in with his hands at his sides? The strap will pull backwards, the glider will feel that as a weight shift aft, the glider doesn't know or care what means he's using to pull the hang loop aft, the nose should pop up abruptly and the glider should stop on a dime.

Again from this view:

062-22100
http://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1676/26323471862_6318b4e1bf_o.png
An excellent cue is to try to pull the glider through the air with the harness.
If the strap is tugging forward shouldn't the pilot be needing to be maintaining a fairly hefty push to keep the glider from nosing in?

Maybe you could produce another short video with the hands totally off the whole time so we could see these effects really working and end all the confusion.
2016/04/13 16:35:55 UTC - 3 thumbs up - Christopher LeFay
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

Davis Straub - 2016/04/13 16:30:04 UTC
flyhg1 - 2016/04/13 16:03:33 UTC

I am talking about the current state of affairs, not the database.
Ah, the database is the current state of affairs.
Not all of it - by a long shot.
Perhaps you mean something else.
The current state of affairs with regard to access to accident data...
We basically have no choice in that matter. It is a matter of law.
Since when did the law start getting in the way of the crap you assholes pull?
...the effect it has on safety most certainly is affected by a conflict of interest and to suggest it is only a perception is unrealistic.
Knowing Mitch I am quite certain that his reports will reflect exactly what we need to know to improve safety.
Shoot Mitch.
Details of the specific incident will be legally protected.
Not the ones I'm able to get my hands on.
Christopher LeFay - 2016/04/13 17:26:10 UTC

Since our SOP's include subjective, indistinct, and even undefined elements, diligently cultivating the ethos Ryan voices here is fundamental to shaping outcomes...

A very caring-yet-less-than-competent instructor recently impressed on me that SOP's and ethos are like down tubes without a base bar. Authoritative education of instructors is the base-bar. A conscientious instructor closely adhering to SOP's is a danger without the comprehensive knowledge and experience provided by expert training.

Our insurance circumstance, though an unfortunate burden, has provided a fresh opportunity to confirm that all three sides of the control frame are in place when certifying instructors. We can't afford to squander this moment, leaving scrupulous instructors to fill in knowledge gaps by trail and error-
Zach Marzec
Jim Rooney - 2013/02/13 19:09:33 UTC

It was already worked out by the time I arrived.
The reason it sticks?
Trail and error.
http://ozreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=35893
Fingers
Jim Rooney - 2014/01/28 10:32:59 UTC

Some have worked it out, generally through a lot of trail and error, but they were never taught it.
...good people who just don't know what they don't know. I applaud Ryan for his video- a humble, selfless attempt to convey basic practices that should be- but all too often aren't -fundaments of instruction.
Fuck off, Christopher.
Brian Scharp - 2016/04/13 18:08:33 UTC
We can't afford to squander this moment, leaving scrupulous instructors to fill in knowledge gaps by trail and error- good people who just don't know what they don't know.
http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=27217
Bad Launch!
Ryan Voight - 2012/09/26 14:23:55 UTC

Running to the right = weight shift to the right.

It's all about what the glider feels. Running to the right pulls the hang loop to the right, just like when you weight shift at 3,000 ft. Glider doesn't know or care what means you used to pull the hang loop to the right.
Ryan Voight - 2016/04/06 22:08:19 UTC

Does the tow operator instinctively try to "pull" the student back on course with the winch- which actually would do the opposite, accelerating them into deeper trouble.
Ryan Voight - 2016/04/13 20:12:51 UTC

Not sure what you're trying to say Brian. Do you have a question, or would you like to state something?
Allow me.... You don't have a fuckin' clue what you're talking about. You don't understand the physics of glider control and are stating that the glider will roll one way in response to a laterally exerted force when, in fact, it will roll the other.

Same mistake Donnell Hewett made with his "auto-correcting" "center of mass" bridle system and the articles he submitted at the end of 1980. At first the glider would auto-correct and couldn't lock out until the towline weight shifted the pilot all the way into contact with the control frame and then "adverse yaw" was used to explain why the glider was responding the opposite of what his "theory" predicted. That and his Infallible Weak Link and Reliable Release have been at the core of damn near every hang glider towing fatality since - including this last one at Tres Pinos with the mystery victim.
Brian Scharp - 2016/04/13 20:51:07 UTC

How are those two statements not at odds?
Brad Barkley 2016/04/13 21:10:09 UTC

Come at it from the other end...how do you see those two statements having anything to do with each other?
Same author, one statement flatly contradicting the other on a life and death issue?
One mentions excessive tow forces brought about by a heavy-handed tow operator...
It's impossible to have excessive tow forces in hang glider towing. We've got an Infallible Weak Link which will break before the glider can get out of control. Everybody knows that. Just ask Quest - which has been involved in perfecting aerotowing for twenty-five years.
...and the other how we weight shift to fly the glider.
When we weight shift the glider it goes one way. When we use our muscle to exert differential wire tension it goes the other.
Apples and oranges.
http://www.chgpa.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2467
weak links
Chris McKee - 2007/05/22 13:24:03 UTC

I think there are WAY to many variables that you are not including in your simple analysis when trying to compare towing a hang glider vice towing a sailplane. Apples do NOT = Oranges under most circumstances unless you are calling them both fruit.

P.S. Neither Apples nor Oranges have a good glide ration.
Not really an ample food ration either - dickhead.
Ryan Voight - 2016/04/13 21:18:19 UTC

In a word: thrust.
Yeah. I can work with that.
Bank a wing and weight shift against it while running, and the wing feels the weight shift laterally, while forward "pull" is reduced.
What's it matter what's going on with the forward vector? Sounds like you're hedging, attempting to cloud the issue.
I might even say, while running downhill, gravity is more of the engine than our legs and body literally pulling forwards.
Who cares? A forward/downward vector is a forward/downward vector.
Bank a wing and start flying off course ON TOW, and then increase line tension...
You mean the way things happened with Nancy two Sundays ago?
...the combined bank and relative change in tow direction (glider moved laterally while winch or pulley did not) will more or less be pulling centered.
Pulling "more or less" centered to WHAT? The best laid plans of mice and men? When the glider's going one way and being pulled another it doesn't matter what was going on a second ago.
Think about gravity in normal flight.
You mean the inconvenience vector most notable following a Voight/Rooney Instant Hands Free Release increase in the safety of the towing operation?
The tow line is like artificial gravity. And most importantly, remember the tow line is pulling FORWARD much more than it is downward-
Is it?

025-12318
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8663/16055019493_889eb83e48_o.png

That's a wee bit prior to Lin starting to find out that there's a problem with his release. And he hasn't stayed on tow long enough to start getting pulled lower by the winch. Looks to me like the towline is pulling down every bit as much as it's being pulled forward. Shouldn't maintaining altitude be the best he's able to do at that point?

24-03507
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7652/16804067540_5209f58152_o.png
...so even if the tow force did provide a substantial weight shift correction, the increased line tension accelerates the glider forward.
http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=30824
Article "Pushing Out" Feb 2014 HG mag
NMERider - 2014/02/25 06:05:06 UTC

What part of:
...his rather nonsensical and too-often phantasmagorical version of physics and aerodynamics.
wasn't clear? Image

Ryan is a classic example of a superbly talented athlete who is ill-equipped to write a comprehensive training manual or academically meaningful text.
Airspeed increases. Lift increases. And increasing lift when the wings are banked, increased the rate of heading change.

So, yea... pulling harder in a lockout just accelerates and exacerbates the situation.
But pulling harder on the suspension just by running corrects the situation...

Ryan Voight - 2015/02/22

061-22100
It's only when the glider knows that there's a rope pulling the harness forward that a turn is progressed into a lockout.
THESE ARE THE THINGS INSTRUCTORS, TOW OPERATORS, AND PILOTS need to know and understand. It's kinda important...
Well then why DON'T they know this?

http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=27393
Pro towing: 1 barrel release + weak link or 2 barrel release
Juan Saa - 2012/10/18 01:19:49 UTC
Boca Raton

The normal braking force in pounds for a weak link is around 180, at least that is the regular weak link line used at most aerotow operations. By adding a second weak link to your bridal you are cutting the load on each link by half, meaning that the weak link will not break at the intended 180 pounds but it will need about 360.
If that is what you use and is what your instructor approved then I have no business on interfering, i dont know if you are using the same weak link material but there shoul be only ONE weak link on a tow bridle for it to be effective in breaking before higher loads are put into you and the glider should the glider gets to an attitude or off track so much that the safety fuse of the link is needed to break you free from the tug.

I made the same mistake on putting two weak links thinking that I was adding protection to my setup and I was corrected by two instructors on separate occacions at Quest Air and at the Florida RIdge.
The total fucking morons we've got as instructors and tow operators and are teaching the "pilots" everything they're ever going to know about towing hang gliders are teaching that having a fuzzy loop of fishing line on the other end of the bridle instead of a thousand pound direct connection doubles the towline tension required to blow whichever fuzzy loop volunteers to go first.
2016/04/13 21:32:23 UTC - 2 thumbs up - Christopher LeFay
Suck my dick, Christopher.
Ryan Voight - 2016/04/13 21:24:53 UTC

Brian also sets us a good example of "you don't know what you don't know", thinking he's clever and pointing out a contradiction in my posts, when in reality he's actually pointing out his own lack of understanding.

Which isn't his fault! Hard to fault someone for not knowing something that was never taught to them... and he didn't ask at first because he thought he understood. It's human nature and we all do it, right?!

The glaring question then is, Brian- do you tow ever, and with whom?
1. The tow park that Tad runs. It's the one that kept going after the one that Sunny, Adam, and Jim Keen-Intellect Rooney experienced a terminal inconvenience.

2. Why are you asking? Is there some correlation between having been dragged into the air by something with a motor on it and...

http://ozreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=31052
Poll on weaklinks
Brad Gryder - 2013/02/21 23:25:31 UTC

There's also a way to swing your body way outside the control frame so it stays up there while you reach out with one hand and release. Come on - do some pushups this winter. :roll: See if you can advance up to some one-arm pushups.
...understanding aeronautical theory?
2016/04/13 21:32:31 UTC - 3 thumbs up - Christopher LeFay
Suck my dick, Christopher. You assholes are gonna PAY for this.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

Steve Morris - 2016/04/13 21:41:39 UTC

If the physics is too hard to imagine there is an analog in the simple single-line kite that many of us flew as kids. Anyone who has flown a single line kite in too much wind has experienced the essence of a lockout which results in the kite making a series of orbits (or "loops") until impact with the ground or until line tension is released.
That's what does it? Too much wind? Excess towline tension is what inevitably triggers the instability?
The video below (start at 0:30) shows an extreme example of an energy harvesting "kite" that operates in a "locked-out orbit" while the small turbines on the wing acts as windmills to generate power. Using it's aerodynamic controls it can maneuver in and out of the "locked-out" mode.
THEN IT'S *NOT* LOCKED OUT. The definition of a lockout is a condition in which a misaligned towline tension overwhelms control authority to the point that the tow is not sustainable. If you can continue the flight all fuckin' afternoon and put your kite anywhere you want it you're doing just fine.
A locked out hang glider usually won't have the height to make even one orbit before the weak link breaks, impact with the ground, or structural failure occurs.
So if I'm connected to a Dragonfly at two thousand feet and everything's good to a thousand pounds I should be able to complete an orbit and resume my climb the extra five hundred?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSYMHzgLLn8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSYMHzgLLn8
Cool but totally irrelevant.
Brian Scharp - 2016/04/13 21:47:29 UTC

I've only towed a few times and long ago. It's the idea that running towards a rising wing and just pulling with the harness/no hands will bring that wing down, that I disagree with.
You, Mother Nature, and Sir Isaac.
Ryan Voight - 2016/04/13 23:46:23 UTC

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sk1IfUFyJas

Note the light grip.
The light WHAT? I thought the point of this discussion was that you didn't need...

051-20014

...a grip.
I didn't get my ass left by pulling or pushing it there with my hands.
Yeah Ryan. We know how you got your ass where it is right now.

http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=27217
Bad Launch!
Ryan Voight - 2012/09/26 20:05:16 UTC

You were never taught to run toward the lifting wing?

Yes, I'm sure.

I can (and have) run across a field and steer the glider without ever touching the DT's by simply changing the direction I run. At the beach (or South Side) I like to practice kiting my wing with no hands, and just moving my hips (and stepping if necessary) left/right.

Pulling the hang loop to the right is pulling the hang loop to the right- glider don't care if you're dangling beneath it or still touching the ground. As long as your mains are tight, you can weight shift it!
You LIED. You thought you knew what you were talking about so you fabricated a story which is the polar opposite of Newtonian physics. And now you're stuck and squirming. We can forgive somebody for not understanding aeronautical theory but you went WAY beyond that. And now you're just digging yourself in deeper.
Garrett Speeter - 2016/04/14 00:11:26 UTC

I bet pilot would still be alive today if he/she decided to self-teach.
She almost certainly would. And she most definitely wouldn't have been any deader than she is now.
2016/04/14 02:10:18 UTC - Sink This! -- Paul Hurless
Davis Straub - 2016/04/14 00:16:47 UTC

Or not. Many died doing just that.
Name them, motherfucker. And please exclude the fringers from thirty plus years ago who bought old gliders and ran ropes from trailer hitches to basetubes.
Garrett Speeter - 2016/04/14 00:36:32 UTC

Just realized how insensitive my remark sounds (or reads).
Yeah... To speak the truth in a cult of lying mutual masturbators. Fuck you dude.
Sorry guys.
You better apologize. Maybe suck Davis off to show us you really mean it.
Just read this and thought about how everyone thinks self teaching is awful yet people die with instructors (and very good/conservative ones at that-I have flown at Tres Pinos guy is pretty conservative) quite often.
Maybe you should stop talking for a while and wait for the high to wear off a bit.
I truly believe it is a very viable option for some folks no more or less dangerous.
She put her trust in Pat and did a whole bunch of things no way in hell she'd have done if she'd been progressing on her own. I remember the time I ran off the High Top ramp in dead hot humid air on my heavily loaded Comet 165 after Eric Logan assured me it wouldn't have been a problem. Ended up in a crumpled heap off the end in six foot high soaking wet weeds and then the motherfucker had the gall to criticize me and tell me that that was not a Hang Four (I was closing on my Four at the time) decision.

Group intelligence is determined by dividing the IQ of the stupidest individual in the group by the number of individuals in the group. And in hang gliding the critical IQ is ALWAYS gonna be the instructor's.
Anyway. Sorry for the insensitivity..I am naturally kind of in-sensitive.
Fuck you for apologizing for stating something blindingly obvious.
Fly safe all.
All who remain anyway. We gotta listen all the time to all these Jack Show douchebags admonishing newbies who are trying to learn stuff back home after graduating from Lockout to get with instructors when all instructors are doing everything based on their individual opinions which have no basis in reality. And we have ZERO data or anecdotal evidence to support the position that self teaching is more dangerous and tons of anecdotal shit like this 2016/04/03 Mission travesty to strongly indicate the polar opposite.
gluesniffer - 2016/04/14 00:43:59 UTC

Alaska newb,

I'm glad you have made it this far self teaching, however this truly is a sport where an instructor is crucial to safety.
Show me the data, asshole.
Furthermore as good as your skills are now, if you went to a good instructor, she could make you even better. Which is safer....
She?

http://ozreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=24534
It's a wrap
Lauren Tjaden - 2011/08/01 02:01:06 UTC

For whomever asked about the function of a weak link, it is to release the glider and plane from each other when the tow forces become greater than desirable -- whether that is due to a lockout or a malfunction of equipment or whatever. This can save a glider, a tow pilot, or more often, a hang glider pilot who does not get off of tow when he or she gets too far out of whack.

I rarely break weak links -- in fact, I believe the last one was some two years ago, and I have never broken one on a tandem (probably because I am light and also because I change them whenever they show any signs of wear). They are a good thing to have, though!!
Lauren Tjaden - 2013/02/03

Yesterday at Quest we lost our good friend, Zach Marzec, in a hang gliding accident. We are all in shock and heartbroken here and are all pulling together to support his girlfriend, Clara. We will post more about the accident in days to come but for now I will say that conditions were very benign with light winds and blue skies. The accident occurred low on tow when Zach apparently hit very turbulent air possibly caused by a dust devil without the dust to make it visible. It appears that his glider was in good, flyable condition and rigged properly. We are all just sick.
Like this Eminently Qualified total moron?
In respect for the deceased statements like these...
Ya just can't have too much respect for the deceased statements like these.
...should not be made especially when no facts have been released.
I'm totally good with the fact that no facts have been released.
I would gander that 95℅ of pilots on this board would disagree you on this Image
You're undoubtedly 95 percent right. If 95 percent of the "pilots" on that board had a magic wand that they could use to divert her from the path she took and put her onto total self teaching they'd leave her with Pat for fear that something really terrible might happen otherwise. Plus they're supposed to support all the schools and dealerships no matter what.
Davis Straub - 2016/04/14 01:26:48 UTC

It is not a question of conservative or not.
Really? Would that free us up to use more dangerous weak links with really shooooort track records?
It is a question of using those techniques which actually make for a safe practice, no matter how you learn or are taught.
You can be very careful and conservative and still be wrong.
I guess you'd know that from observation - seeing as how you yourself have never been wrong about anything in your entire life.
Michael Grisham - 2016/04/14 03:10:42 UTC

Why complicate training with towing when Tres Pinos has the most perfect training hill?
I dunno. Ask Karen Carra.
I just don’t understand, why?
What if you actually wanted to advance your career to something higher than the most perfect training hill at Tres Pinos - without any of the zillions of dangerous complications of mountain launching and flying that all you anti tow twats always pretend don't exist?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azZCJsd0UJE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azZCJsd0UJE
01-0000
- 01 - chronological order
- 00 - seconds
- 00 - frame (30 fps)

Standing in launch position confident that he's hooked in 'cause of all the excellent preflight procedures Pat has taught him.

01-0000
http://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1669/26399597446_2e6e838ff6_o.png

Commitment three and a half seconds since the camera started running with no pretense of the hook-in check Pat Denevan's so famous for.

02-0314
http://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1667/25822729943_ddaa9e0239_o.png

Hook-in check. (Better late than never.)

03-0606
http://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1565/26359349621_c872386689_o.png
04-0628
http://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1506/26333182002_015c4ab16c_o.png

And don't prone out and go to the control bar. You need to stay upright and keep the glider straight and level in preparation for your foot landing.

05-0820
http://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1551/26152677350_30960a5aa7_o.png

We'll save roll control for when we sign you off on your One and advance you to the winch.

06-1027
http://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1481/26425528125_8512f10d1b_o.png
07-1304
http://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1500/25822723453_335bd91489_o.png
08-1519
http://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1573/26333177542_e4a3a883b4_o.png
09-1718
http://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1715/25820682984_8f513b90a7_o.png
10-2020
http://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1669/26425524185_42ceedf1e9_o.png

Excellent Ed. Now you're pretty much qualified for hang gliding's most omnipresent hazard - having to come to an instant dead stop or your feet in a safe patch of a narrow dry riverbed with large rocks strewn all over the place. And great job staying well clear of the control bar the whole time. But you've always been great at that.

This is exactly how Nancy was qualified for her next stage of training. Big fuckin' surprise that this shit keeps happening.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

Brian Scharp - 2016/04/14 03:17:44 UTC

I do see you using your left hand to hold your weight over to resist further rolling. I'd wager if you'd tried that with no hands the wing would've continued to roll to the right. Show me some roll reversals with no hands.
That wager's a real good idea. Stay tuned for my further thoughts on that issue.
Ryan Voight - 2016/04/14 03:41:18 UTC

"to hold my weight over"... well that would make sense, if I were in flight... because if your weight is off-center in flight, and you let go, it returns to center of course.
And what are the wires feeling relative to what they were when you were HOLDING YOUR WEIGHT OFF-CENTER?
But I am not dangling in flight here, am I?
Nah. But you're well beyond the dangling stage as far as this discussion is concerned.
I do not need to use my hand(s) to "hold my weight over"... I can use my legs and feet!
Then what's the point of using your hands? Couldn't you be using them to better advantage something like checking to make really sure your helmet's buckled?
And guess what...
Zach Marzec
Jim Rooney - 2013/02/12 18:00:27 UTC

Guess what? The shit doesn't work. If it did, we'd be using it everywhere. But it doesn't stand the test of reality.

AT isn't new. This stuff's been worked on and worked over for years and thousands upon thousands of tows. I love all these egomaniacs that jump up and decide that they're going to "fix" things, as if no one else has ever thought of this stuff?

But back to the root of my anger... speculation.
Much like confirmation bias, he's come here to shoehorn his pet little project into a discussion. Please take your snake oil and go elsewhere.
...other than the fact that the glider isn't feeling the entirety of my hook-in weight...
What if you weren't hooked in at all? ZERO pull on the strap? How much different would things look and respond? Ever fly a glider to some other part of the field without a harness just by holding the downtubes and running it up to speed?
...it does not know the difference what I am using to shift and hold my weight over.
But it DOES know the difference between...

Ryan Voight - 2015/02/22

062-22100
...being pulled by a harnessed pilot and being pulled by a harnessed pilot being pulled by a rope.
Wager all you want, but I've done this a lot already.
I'll wager a thousand bucks that says you haven't and won't be able to produce a video to indicate otherwise.
I'm not making shit up here, or speaking of something I haven't thoroughly tried out (like you are!).
http://ozreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=31052
Poll on weaklinks
Jim Rooney - 2013/03/04 19:31:36 UTC

The accepted standards and practices changed.
I still won't tow people with doubled up weaklinks. You don't get to "make shit up". I don't "make shit up" for that matter either.
Zach Marzec
Jim Rooney - 2013/03/07 18:24:58 UTC

You're the one advocating change here, not me.
I'm fine.

These are only questions if you're advocating change. Which I'm not. You are.

You're the one speculating on Zack's death... not me.
Hell, you've even already come to your conclusions... you've made up your mind and you "know" what happened and what to do about.
It's disgusting and you need to stop.
You weren't there. You don't know.
All you have is the tug pilot report, who himself says he doesn't know... and HE WAS THERE... and he doesn't know.

Ever heard of "Confirmation Bias"?
Because you're a textbook example.
You were out looking for data to support your preconceived conclusion, rather than looking at the data and seeing what it tells you... which is why this is the first time we've heard from you and your gang.

Go back to Tad's hole in the ground.
While you're there, ask him why he was banned from every east coast flying site.
I could go out to a big field, set up a glider, put a harness on, set up some cameras, and thoroughly document how I can run long distances while still keeping the glider going exactly where I want it to go...
Any direction you want - as long as it's straight ahead and into the wind and the glider never starts dipping a wing a little. But you've got better things to do.
But frankly, that sounds exhausting.
Toldyaso.
And I really don't have that kind of free time in my life- to chase down something I already know and have practiced quite a bit.
Well surely this would be a great educational tool for you're current and prospective students. I mean, you already produced a video in which you stressed this issue...

Ryan Voight - 2015/02/22

If you teach them how to pull the glider with the harness they'll learn to steer the glider through weight shift simply by running toward their target.

069-25104
It's just that unfortunately you didn't notice that this ONE TIME (ain't that always the way) your demo guy slipped up and used his hands when he had absolutely no need to.
I've already spent more time than I should on the .org, and on this thread specifically, in effort to share education and improve safety.
Yeah. You've done way more than your share. Will let Mark, Mitch, and Pat carry the ball for a bit now.
I just taught you something(s) you didn't know...
Nah Ryan. You haven't taught us ANYTHING we didn't know. You've just set yourself up way better than you ever have before.
...and your blockhead response is that I should take more time out of my life to "show you".
Zach Marzec
Jim Rooney - 2013/02/11 19:22:18 UTC

Of course not... it's Asshole-ese.

Sorry, I'm sick and tired of all these soap box bullshit assheads that feel the need to spout their shit at funerals. I just buried my friend and you're seizing the moment to preach your bullshit? GO FUCK YOURSELF!!!!!!!!

I can barely stand these pompus asswipes on a normal day.
Dude, I'm sorry... but unless you want to come here and PAY ME TO SHOW YOU... since instruction is my job and how I feed my family after all... I'm inclined to say piss off.
I'll put up the thousand bucks. That should get enough Twinkies to make it through the rest of the month.
Why don't you go set up a glider and run around with it and, when you realize you CAN steer by changing the direction you're running, you can buy me a beer for sharing a skill with you that just might save a launch some day...
Steve Davy - 2012/09/27 13:55:12 UTC

Yesterday, I had an opportunity to test Ryan's hypothesis.

In smooth coastal wind I got the glider floating and balanced, let go of the downtubes and ran in a direction approximately thirty degrees from the direction the keel was pointed. In each case the glider slowly rolled opposite to the direction I chose.

The second test was to get wings balanced, wait a moment for one to lift, then run in that direction. In the second test I found the glider would immediately and aggressively roll opposite to Ryan's idiotic hypothesis.

I did about twenty short runs, same result each run.
Might a saved launch also be a saved life? C'mon Ryan... Put up a video. Gotta admit, you DO produce really beautiful high quality videos. And your name is synonymous with competence, expertise, safety. How can you argue that that wouldn't be a great bang for the buck investment?
Or... you can continue to disagree. Without trying it. Funny thing is, physics doesn't really care or rely on your agreement, it just is.
Ya know what else is a bit funny? Neither you nor anyone involved in reading this discussion has referenced a video of anyone doing this anywhere ever. Can you think of anything else that actually happens in hang gliding of which we don't have multiple great examples? And this one's such a total no brainer. Everybody and his dog lands in Happy Acres putting greens with GoPros running nowadays. All someone would hafta do is continue a running landing with a light headwind towards the breakdown area.
So... what say you... ready to take an afternoon and go have your mind blown? Or will you choose to stay behind the keyboard talking about things you don't seem to understand fully?
You don't even wanna KNOW how much we understand...

http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=29984
What happened to the org?
Mike Lake - 2013/09/26 18:59:57 UTC

On the other hand there are plenty of people who fly lots but still manage to spew out the most incredible and dangerous garbage to others.

This includes some of the "professional" people who work in the industry and are therefore able to regard themselves as such.
They really believe they have a monopoly on knowledge and when finding themselves on the losing side of a debate resort to the old standby "This is what we do so fuck off you weekender".

I say good riddance to those nauseating, know it all, self indulgent "professionals" who have banished themselves from this site.
2013/09/26 19:19:24 UTC - 3 thumbs up - NMERider
2013/09/26 20:30:40 UTC - 3 thumbs up - Rick Cavallaro
2013/09/27 01:07:47 UTC - 3 thumbs up - Sam Kellner
2013/09/26 20:02:33 UTC - 3 thumbs up - John Borton
2013/09/26 20:42:36 UTC - 3 thumbs up - Brian Scharp
...motherfucker.

01-0000
- 01 - chronological order
- 00 - seconds
- 00 - frame (24 fps)

01-0000
http://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1611/26331382152_dabc90ed5f_o.png
02-0602
http://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1604/26357549141_21cf01b49e_o.png
03-0711
http://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1477/26150873370_9ae41ffbe8_o.png

OK Ryan... Let go and let the hang strap weight shift the glider back level.

04-0813
http://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1674/25820930223_f79a60cf86_o.png
05-0907
http://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1634/25820929693_34fbcc0744_o.png
06-0911
http://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1598/25890755153_88a24e4671_o.png
07-0921
http://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1457/25820928943_252bcd5acb_o.png
08-1212
http://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1694/26150870630_48e5ae5d65_o.png
09-1308
http://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1705/26397784216_ab26a6c271_o.png
10-1317
http://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1632/26397783396_58d6d06451_o.png
11-1410
http://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1701/25820926103_c4f101d14a_o.png
12-1506
http://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1485/26357542541_f0e064c467_o.png
13-1615
http://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1565/25818888694_18bc474b87_o.png
14-1800
http://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1443/26423721785_5f071d6cf2_o.png
15-2200
http://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1583/26150865900_f55afa58ea_o.png
16-2416
http://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1658/26331372962_d60a8b4f5a_o.png
17-3015
http://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1577/26397779096_6c07682e71_o.png

Beautiful video, beautiful flying, no competence, brains, integrity, decency.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

gluesniffer - 2016/04/14 04:07:55 UTC

I can see the benefit of the tow set up. Epic training hill. Learn to foot launch.
You can't learn to foot launch on tow? Does Steve Exceptionally-Knowledgeable Wendt know that?
Then get altitude in a huge field where one can focus on landing patterns. Without worrying about making into a small or distant lz.
Name some Twoish students needing to come down in small or distant LZs. Hell, name ANYBODY needing to come down in small or distant LZs.
Then to top it off, landing and a few minutes later getting dragged up again. No breaking down. So much more can be learned in a day.
Pity nothing IMPORTANT ever seems to be learned. Here we have the world's greatest hang gliding instructor telling us that the glider will roll in the direction of a strap pull.
Brian Scharp - 2016/04/14 04:48:37 UTC

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply you should go out and produce a new video. I figured with all the hours training and filming you'd already have something in that regard.
Yeah. He has. He just didn't realize that the subjects were needlessly torqueing the control frames while the gliders were responding.
Michael Grisham - 2016/04/14 05:08:59 UTC

The techniques of hill foot launch, scooter tow, cart launch, aero-tow, and tandem are so different that switching a new student (h1-h2) between the various methods will only instill uncertainty and thus result in inappropriate techniques for the task throughout the life of a pilot.
Fuck yeah! And God help them if they also fly choppers, Cessnas, sailplanes, passenger jets, carrier based fighters. Just look what happened to Trey Higgins at the beginning of last summer.
Every USHPA Instructor is required to successfully complete and pass a Fundamentals of Instruction ("FOI") test (SOP USHPA 12-13.02 A.3.) The Fundamentals of Instruction clearly address the learning processes of primacy and repetition. The new student is going to be confused between moving between launch methods before establishing the fundamentals of a "simple" foot launch from the hill. It is all about learning the basic techniques first so those motor skills are ingrained and become second nature. Throughout the pilot's life when he/she is tired, under stress, or in an emergency, they are going to revert to what was first learned and what was repeated over and over again.

The Fundamentals of Instruction was developed by Ph.D.s in the fields of education and psychology being knowledgeable in the learning process and behavior of humans.

Yes, techniques developed by Ph.D.s in education and psychology and required to be studied by certified USHPA Instructors.
Total fucking lunacy. Excellent Bob Show material.
Mark G. Forbes - 2016/04/14 07:03:39 UTC

It works the same way (even more so) when launching a paraglider. The key to kiting and a clean launch, particularly a forward launch, is to stay centered under the glider. If it starts to get off-center, you need to run underneath it and not try to pull it back overhead using brakes. That'll just cause it to get behind you and slow down.
That's the opposite of what Ryan's saying - idiot. He's saying if the glider rolls to the right use your legs to weight shift to the left...

05-0907
Tormod Helgesen - 2016/04/14 08:43:00 UTC

Except that in a paraglider you run towards the low side, you must do the opposite if you're launching a hangglider
Do whatever the fuck you want, Tormod. Just don't expect anything great to happen on a hang glider without using lotsa arm muscle on the control frame.
Robert Kesselring - 2016/04/14 10:59:36 UTC
Michael Grisham - 2016/04/14 03:10:42 UTC

I just don’t understand, why?
Because the broader your experience, the more competent you have the potential to be.
Nah. Didn't you here what he just said? It's the NARROWNESS of your experience that makes you a well rounded pilot able to adapt quickly to problematic situations.
I learned primarily by foot launch from training hills at LMFP. Even so, I'd very much like to learn to tow.
Not enough to come over HERE and discuss anything.
In fact, Steve at Blue Sky has a standing request to e-mail me any time weekend weather looks good for teaching.
Robert Kesselring - West Virginia - 96723 - H2 - 2015/07/19 - Matthew Masters - FL CL FSL
Knock yourself out going back to Hang Zero level for a dozen weeks so's Steve can make extra sure you're getting everything up to his impeccable standards. And ask him how come he's never found an incident that didn't splatter on his own putting green worth commenting on.
Davis Straub - 2016/04/14 11:56:54 UTC

One of the coolest aspects of low and slow scooter towing is all the practice that you get landing. Over and over again without tiring yourself out.
And when you've finished your flare timing will be perfect for life and you'll be able to handle waist high wheat and narrow dry riverbeds with large rocks strewn all over the place in your sleep. Course ya still won't be able to roll control worth shit.
And as we know the desirability of repeated practice of correct technique.
Or precision fishing line to increase the safety of the towing operation.
Timothy Ward - 2016/04/14 13:48:05 UTC

Rob McKenzie uses a gator to take student and glider back up to wherever on the training hill the student is launching from.
That makes so much more sense than pulling up just what needs to go up on a string while the driver and heavy stuff stay down at runway level.
You, could, I suppose, lay out lots of line to do multiple takeoffs and landings before having to reset, but I'm not sure how that works with the idea that the operator is close enough to evaluate how well the student is performing.
How close do you think Pat was to Nancy and how good do you think his evaluation was?
Tom Galvin - 2016/04/14 13:52:26 UTC
Brian Scharp - 2016/04/14 03:17:44 UTC

Show me some roll reversals with no hands.
With good winds at a site with laminar air you can do this for hours. Walk left, walk right, lather, rinse, repeat. A trip to Marina may be informative for you.
Got any video or video links? Just kidding. Reminds me of all those lives Jim Keen-Intellect Rooney has saved by giving people the rope - despite the fact that:

http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=9084
Aerotow problem/question:Properly washed, I think
Jim Gaar - 2008/10/28 15:55:22 UTC

We always told towed pilots that the first 500 feet belonged to the tug pilot. They have enough to do to keep themselves safe.
Jim Rooney - 2008/12/11 18:45:01 UTC

Yup, the first 500ft are mine. Try to keep up. Your tugger generally REALLY wants to help you, and will do all that he can to do so, but he's got trees to stay out of as well.
Brian Scharp - 2016/04/14 16:58:17 UTC
Tom Galvin - 2016/04/14 13:52:26 UTC

With good winds at a site with laminar air you can do this for hours. Walk left, walk right, lather, rinse, repeat. A trip to Marina may be informative for you.
Steve Davy - 2012/09/27 13:55:12 UTC

Yesterday, I had an opportunity to test Ryan's hypothesis.

In smooth coastal wind I got the glider floating and balanced, let go of the downtubes and ran in a direction approximately thirty degrees from the direction the keel was pointed. In each case the glider slowly rolled opposite to the direction I chose.

The second test was to get wings balanced, wait a moment for one to lift, then run in that direction. In the second test I found the glider would immediately and aggressively roll opposite to Ryan's idiotic hypothesis.

I did about twenty short runs, same result each run.
Beat me to that one.
Davis Straub - 2016/04/14 17:05:07 UTC

The past rears its ugly head.
Yep Davis. The KITE STRINGS past. Not the Jack or Davis Show pasts.

FINALLY caught up - again. Guessing Ryan will have needed to get back to other commitments, maybe spend more time with his family. This is very similar to what we did to Jim Keen-Intellect Rooney a bit over three years ago. Don't forget to keep kicking them when they're down.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

Steve Corbin - 2016/04/14 19:04:52 UTC

I think I understand what you guys are talking about.
If you do you understand that Ryan's totally full of shit, is lying, has painted himself into multiple corners, and has declared victory and left.
When I was instructing in the early eighties, we taught that if the glider is banked during a launch run, weight shift to the high wing...
"Weight shift" is meaningless as far as the glider is concerned. Assuming you're not pulling or pushing down on anything all, if we're fully airborne, or some, if we're still on the ground with the wing flying, if our weight is being supported at the hang/trim point on (or a bit above) the keel. The glider knows which way it's pulling and treats it as a gravity vector by adjusting to what it perceives as DOWN - but the weight isn't being shifted anywhere UNLESS one is using arms muscle to push and/or pull on control frame elements or flying wires.
...but as long as the glider is banked it wants to follow a curved path and the pilot has to follow the glider's course line, which is curved, until wings level is achieved.
ONLY by torqueing the fucking control frame.
I do recall that the Wills Wing Ravens were very responsive to roll control, and I could demonstrate recovery from a dropped wing launch run with them.
A glider's a glider. They all behave the same way - just with varying degrees of effort required.
I never tried running straight while the glider was banked...
Neither has anybody else with half a brain or better. We don't need to ride bicycles into trees to have pretty good ideas of what the results will be - 'specially if we've previously ridden bicycles into trees inadvertently.
I always follow the path the glider was flying while weight-shifting towards the high wing.
You're not weight shifting. You're torqueing the fuckin' bar relative to your mass and its position. It doesn't matter all that much whether you're clipped in or not.
I did see students trying to continue running straight down the slope while the glider was trying to follow a curved flight path, and I don't recall that working very well, if at all.
Really? I'll bet the glider was more than just TRYING to follow a curved flight path. I know my own gliders tended to be pretty successful at that sorta thing.
I'd love to see it demonstrated.
068-25104
05-0907

Happy? Those are the two best examples of gliders being weight shifted to level without the use of hands that exist on the web to date - the ones Ryan Instant-Hands-Free-Release Voight personally cited.

http://ozreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=24846
Is this a joke ?
Davis Straub - 2011/08/28 15:26:28 UTC

Then again, Russell Brown had us double up behind him after six breaks in a row at Zapata. We couldn't figure out why we had so many breaks so quickly. Maybe just coincidence.
Probably just a coincidence that both pilots are arm muscling the crap out of the bar while the glider's responding to the weight shift input.
One thing that I harp on the most is the need to establish wings level before running, and keeping them level during the run.
Yeah, that seems to be something of a standard in fixed wing aviation.
This is especially important if there is a wind blowing, because of the severe gradient that can exist between the lowered wing and the raised one.
Get it. Wings level. Even if I hafta use arm muscle and/or wire crew.
The low wing tip might be in a 3 mph wind and the high wing tip might have 2 or 3 times that much.
And don't forget the turbulent jet stream six inches over your wing. Keep that sucker planted on your shoulders until you get to the edge of the ramp.
But in little or no wind it's not so hard to level a banked glider, but running with the high wing advanced and the low wing retarded relative to the direction you're running.... well, I just can't see that working unless maybe if the bank angle is only a couple few degrees.
Just wait an hour or so. I'm sure people will post a bunch o' video links.
As I said, I think I know what you're talking about. If I don't, I'm sure I'll hear from you.
Not from Ryan. He'll be tied up feeding his family for the next few weeks.
2016/04/14 19:33:45 UTC - 3 thumbs up - Jim Gaar
2016/04/14 21:29:29 UTC - 3 thumbs up - Glenn Zapien
---
2016/04/14 20:00:00 UTC

Originally I created this post accidentally as a duplicate when I clicked a quote rather than an edit button. Sorry 'bout that.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

Brian Scharp - 2016/04/14 19:48:24 UTC
I could demonstrate recovery from a dropped wing launch run with them.
By running towards the lifting wing without ever touching the downtubes?
Ryan Voight - 2016/04/14 20:18:19 UTC

I'm telling you it works. I have done it, A LOT. For the same reasons that weight shifting works (it's the same damn thing).
I'm beginning to think you're not lying. You have no clue how a glider is actually controlled so you internalize evidence that seems to support how you THINK the glider's being controlled and dismiss everything that indicates otherwise. You "weight shift" control the glider running across the field no hands but you "cheat" a bit here and there as needed and dismiss that input as irrelevant and may not even remember doing it.
You don't have to do it if you don't want.
He can't. THIS:

051-20014

WORKS. The glider WILL trim and stabilize in pitch. We've all seen, felt, done it and...

http://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4778/39004826790_90f4fd60c9_o.jpg

...there's no shortage of video evidence proving that it works. It's consistent with and is explained by aeronautical theory. You can do that all day as long as the glider doesn't ROLL. There's ZERO video evidence to support what you claim is happening 'cause it doesn't and can't happen.
As long as you have clean launches, I truly honestly do not care when technique(s) accomplish that for you.
And if your flare timing isn't quite perfected we can deal with that at one of my clinics.
Watch the video I posted again.
Not the best view or example, admittedly...
All you gotta do for a good example is roll control no hands at launch or in the LZ with the GoPro running the next time you're hooked into a glider. That's how brain dead easy it would be. And that plus the fact that there are no videos showing this phenomenon already should be telling you something.

Also... If you post another video of a flight subsequent to this discussion that DOESN'T include a demonstration at launch and/or in the LZ of your no-hands roll control we'll know just how dedicated you are to the pursuit of universal enlightenment.
...but specifically watch my feet as I start the run.
01-0000
http://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1611/26331382152_dabc90ed5f_o.png
02-0602
http://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1604/26357549141_21cf01b49e_o.png
03-0711
When I feel the glider banking right, I lean over left and into/against the harness. As I put my foot out and down for each stride, I'm not putting my feet beneath me, I'm putting them off to my right, because I'm pulling the glider left...
To compensate for the glider having rolled to the right of your intended launch path. Another option you could've used on a steeper slope would've been to have just gone with the minor roll and leveled out as or after you got airborne. Or hell, when I was dune flying I'd deliberately launch in a roll to get my turn to stay hug the slope and stay in the lift band started. But I digress a bit.
...(and still forwards, obviously) with the harness.
This is what you're actually doing:

04-0813
http://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1674/25820930223_f79a60cf86_o.png

That's pretty much how things would look at three thousand feet if you were upright trying to level the glider. You're pulling the glider to the left and relative to yourself using the control frame to counter a right roll and keep your path from veering to the right of what you intended and desired. If you just PUSHED yourself to the left using your feet and traction with the ground without PULLING using your hands on the control frame your right tip would be on the ground within the following second.

Up in the air with no ground to push off of the only way you'd be able to get left (or right) of hanging perpendicular to the wing without using hands and muscle would be a lateral/misaligned towline pull - such as the one Nancy was experiencing two Sundays ago. If the towline's lateral pull on you is too hard and your lateral pull on the control frame is too weak or can't be strong enough to counter what the towline's doing you've got a lockout and the tow will shortly end one way or another. If you're too low at the onset you WILL CRASH - on tow or off - no matter what you do.
Go back to the beginning and watch my left hand (as best you can anyways, since I know my body blocks the view). Open palm, fingers are loose and straight (not wrapped around the downtube).
So?

22-03416
http://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1465/25333451913_eed5a9bcf0_o.png
29-04323
http://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1477/25841370092_8bcac4c904_o.png
32-04618
http://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1699/25936277096_888ed2c692_o.png

What do you need beyond contact with one side of a tube or bar to exert a pressure on it?
And at one point my hand actually bounces off the downtube and back on?
Why not just leave it off? It's not like it's doing anyting to help you with roll control.
Does this look like the hand/grip of a pilot pulling hard on the downtube?
No. It also doesn't look like a situation in which you NEED to pull continuously and/or hard on the downtube. You're correcting a mild roll in mild conditions.
Go back to the beginning one more time, and watch the hang loop move as I'm running.
03-0711
06-0911
http://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1598/25890755153_88a24e4671_o.png
It moves from the harness mains (attached to my hips) pulling it over.
It wouldn't if you weren't simultaneously torqueing the control frame with pressure from your hands. Your suspension would remain perpendicular to your wing until the tip hit the ground.
Since I'm running rather than hanging, I can't just "pull" myself over to move the hang loop like that.
No, but you CAN and DO pull the wing over relative to your body mass - just like in the air.
I need to move my hips that way, relative to the glider.
You're moving the glider relative to your mass. And you could do that unhooked...

032-11119
http://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1678/26349648111_b1a25464c9_o.png

...with your hands gripping the downtubes for identical results - until you got a bit farther down the slope anyway.
I can't keep running centered within the control frame, and still get my ass to the left to effect a weight shift input.
Doesn't matter where your ass is. What matter's is the glider's position and attitude relative to yours.
Look again at the angle of my body as I'm leaning into the harness. I'm leaning over, in the sense that I'd fall forward and to the side if I weren't hooked in.
A distinct possibility one of these days - given your total contempt for u$hPa's 35 year old hook-in check regulation. Good bet that it's already been a reality for a good number of your graduated students.
But since the glider does not feel 100% of my weight (since I'm still running, rather than hanging in my harness), I need to kind of drive my weight in that direction, using my legs.
You could do the same thing unhooked using just enough down pull on the tubes to keep the wing from climbing out of reach. You could stand still unhooked with a twelve mile per hour breeze coming in and fly the glider with your hands on the downtubes or on the basetube any way you felt like.
Ergo, the simple cue, "run toward the lifted side and pull the glider where you want it to go"
Yes. You pull the glider LATERALLY where you want it to go but you CAN'T *ROLL* it to keep it from locking out in the direction it was heading without using your hands on the control frame to counter.