2016/04/03 Tres Pinos fatality

General discussion about the sport of hang gliding
Tad Eareckson

Re: 2016/04/03 Tres Pinos fatality

Post by Tad Eareckson »

http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=34243
Fatal HG crash in Tres Pinos CA 4-3-2016
Davis Straub - 2016/04/11 02:56:43 UTC

The student should be low enough that the operator of the dynamic scooter towing system...
It's called "dynamic" - "characterized by constant change, activity, or progress" - because the scooter moves.
...(or ET , if you like) just releases pressure...
1. So the glider is immediately depressurized.
...and you float to the ground.
Exactly the same as when a Davis Link...

...increases the safety of the towing operation.

2. Since in the Blue Sky Scooter Towing model the pilot has no ability to release himself from tow while maintaining control of the glider.
A static line towing system is one where there is no spool and the length of line is fixed (static). Car towing at Hay, for example.
1. "Static" means "lacking in movement, action, or change". Not a great term for a fixed length towline being pulled thirty miles per hour down a runway.

2. How 'bout aerotowing at Hay? Wouldn't that be another example? No, wait...

http://ozreport.com/9.009
2005 Worlds
Davis Straub - 2005/01/11

The rope length will be increased from 60 meters to 90 meters and from spectra to poly to increase the stretch in the rope and help out with the new weaker weak links. This will also decrease the tow angles and decrease the forces on the pilot who's out of whack.
I forgot that they switched to polypro to decrease the probability of the weak link increasing the safety of the towing operation when the pilot...

http://ozreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=24534
It's a wrap
Lauren Tjaden - 2011/08/01 02:01:06 UTC

For whomever asked about the function of a weak link, it is to release the glider and plane from each other when the tow forces become greater than desirable -- whether that is due to a lockout or a malfunction of equipment or whatever. This can save a glider, a tow pilot, or more often, a hang glider pilot who does not get off of tow when he or she gets too far out of whack.
...gets out of whack. He'll still be OK though because the forces on him will be decreased. The pressure at the glider end of a polypro towline is much less than the pressure at the Dragonfly end.

BTW, if you think I'm just spouting theory here, try this experiment at home... Hook your thumbs through a rubber band and see how much less pressure you feel on the left thumb when you pull to the right with the right thumb with lotsa pressure. That's not "religion" my friend. The shit works. It works in reality and it works consistently.
2016/04/11 16:38:39 UTC - 3 thumbs up - Tim Dyer
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

Ryan Voight - 2016/04/11 13:37:20 UTC
AdamG - 2016/04/10 15:37:46 UTC

Ushpa hasn't contacted me and I'm not sure they will.
Janica Lee - 2016/04/10 16:10:11 UTC

That's disturbing. Fresh 1st-hand eye witnesses accounts and recollections are invaluable.
Doesn't USHPA's hg accident investigator (also a static tow system inventor) live in the Bay Area now?
A week has already passed...
What's disturbing is that none of the comments following that student's comment shared with him a way to submit his observations:

https://airs.ushpa.aero/

Self-regulated = you don't get to point a finger at Mitch for not calling someone that was there, when you don't do your part either. Safety information will only improve if we all do our part (being safe, plus sharing info!)
Get fucked, Ryan.

- He submitted his observations in one of the few venues in which it can and will be read by the hang gliding "community" and members of the general public, and the plaintiff's attorneys. And Mitch is fully aware of this discussion - invisiblewaverider made his one and only Jack Show post under extreme duress after bashing a student's face into the ground on his own shoddy foot launch stationary winch tow at the 2012 Team Challenge. Told us just how much the sport would suck if we didn't keep it as risky as possible.

- Self regulation is another way of saying that big commercial interests will hijack control of the sport from the recreational pilot...

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TUGS/message/1184
aerotow instruction was Re: Tug Rates
Larry Jorgensen - 2011/02/17 13:37:47 UTC

It did not come from the FAA, it came from a USHPA Towing Committee made up of three large aerotow operations that do tandems for hire.
Appalling.
...and fuck him over in any and every way imaginable.

You were part of a unanimous BOD vote to expel Bob for "acting in a manner contrary to the interests of the corporation" primarily for testifying against a thug operation that got a radio controlled paraglider student badly mangled. And there were a lot of members - including a fair number who wouldn't have minded seeing Bob's head on a pike for LEGITIMATE reasons - who vehemently opposed that action. And they got ZERO representation in that vote.

I objected to having my safety severely jeopardized by an aerotow industry that was universally violating the crap outta u$hPa SOPs and FAA aerotow regulations and got totally ignored by u$hPa until I started talking about taking my concerns to the FAA and got blacklisted out of the fuckin' sport with confirmation from Adam Elchin that it was solely because I'd started talking about taking my concerns to the FAA.

You're discussing this, not on a u$hPa forum in which all members are permitted a voice, but in Jack's Living Room where one is required to rub everybody the right way or be declared poison to the sport and banned in every way imaginable with no one being permitted to mention the individual ever again.

- u$hPa's front man stated right off the bat that the investigation was under way to review the "FACTS" provided by Pat and PRODUCE an accident report which will find that the H1-rated pilot hadn't been CAREFUL OUT THERE. None of you motherfuckers really wanna see anything better happen and u$hPa's Chief Damage Control Officer has a well documented history of sweeping everything of substance under the carpet in the early days then flushing it down the toilet after the heat's off. Also note how totally Mark vanished from the discussion once it became blindingly obvious that people were totally onto his game and weren't gonna buy it any longer.
Glenn Zapien - 2016/04/11 14:24:36 UTC

But, but... Pointing fingers is what we do so well! Image
You can suck my dick too, Glenn.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

Dave Jacob - 2016/04/11 16:17:10 UTC

Thanks for the correction Davis.
Now let him set you straight on the towline pressure in takes to blow a standard aerotow weak link at the top end of a three-point bridal with the release anchored on the carabineer.
I believe the system at Tres Pinos is a tow line attached to long loop of line that runs between the drive pulley and a return pulley.

I could understand your approach for newer pilots but as student's progress towards their H2's they are going to need more altitude. Perhaps your argument is that ground based towing should not be used at all for students. I don't have the experience to argue for or against that but I suspect the practice will continue as it has found a lot of appeal. So I'm questioning if there is a way to improve the safety by giving the instructor more control.
And perish the thought that we should give the fucking STUDENT PILOT more control. That's what I LOVED about my first flight ever on a hang glider. Ran off the top of the dune, immediately proned out, *I* was the Pilot In Command of MY glider.
Yes you could cut the line but now the student is dragging a 1/4 mile of spectra over a field where it may get snagged.
Or, at Tres Pinos, a mile and a half of Spectra.
Would it be beneficial to install a radio controlled release on the wing. I know there are some complications but there is plenty of engineering capability just here on the org to put together something feasible.
Paul Hurless comes to immediate mind.

http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=34229
AT release
piano_man - 2016/04/01 16:34:04 UTC

It's only part in jest as today is April Fool's Day, but seriously, I've tried to make sense of all those knots and pulleys but always give up. It seems with todays technology it would be easy to post a demo of how this or these releases work, e.g, youtube.

Just wondering if anyone here has ever seen one of these releases up close, tried 'em, etc.
Dallas Willis - 2016/04/01 16:50:35 UTC

Search on this forum for that guy and you'll find where a few of us pleaded with him to put one on an actual glider and take pics or to send us one to rig ourselves. Never happened.

Pretty good joke though Image
I could lock a thousand of the best and the brightest of you fuckin' Jack Show dildos in a sports arena for thirty years and you wouldn't be able to figure out the difference between a release and a weak link.
Tim Dyer - 2016/04/11 16:37:44 UTC

Towing is an easy way to keep teaching even if the wind direction is wrong for foot launch =$$$$$. I turned out with my H2 and was introduced to towing AFTER learning foot launch. I was overwhelmed with the complexity of towing.
I'd have never had the slightest doubt.
I don't think towing for high flight should be introduced until AFTER learning high flight.
So much for hang gliding in Ohio, Florida, Mississippi, Louisiana, Texas, Kansas.
Too much going on for a student IMO.
And where would we all be without your opinion, Tim?
Erik Boehm - 2016/04/11 17:51:06 UTC

Well, cutting the line is simple...
1. And therefor safe and reliable. Look how well it worked for Rob Richardson, Nuno Fontes, Shane Smith.
2. If it's so fucking simple then how came Mission couldn't do it for either Lin Lyons or Nancy Doe?
...radio controll release is not..
Fuck no! Already it's got too many "l"s in it. Just look what always happens when you make things unnecessarily complicated.
...and that assumes the release isn't jammed.
And you must assume that the release WILL be jammed as it's a mechanical thing and all mechanical things fail. That's why we need a really safe weak link - like the one Nancy was using eight days ago.
If that system fails, a knife to a line is going to work every time...
Fuck yeah! There's nothing bad that can happen to a locked out Hang One once that line is cut.
Dragging a line over flat dry grassy terrain ahs got to be better than the alternative...
There are people who've separated from tow via deliberate glider and tow end release actuation and back and front end weak link increases in the safety of the towing operation who've had zero chance of survival once free flying. So tell me how dragging a line over flat grassy terrain AHS to be better than any alternative.
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8655/16487364578_83864d7bac_o.png
Maybe if they had cut the line, the release would have worked when there wasn't such tension?
Fuck that and fuck any goddam asshole who thinks that it's OK to go up with any release that's the least bit problematic to blow under one and a half times weak link.
I don't know, I don't tow.
You should take it up - at Mission.
In that case I think the tow operators were slow to realize there was a problem...
HE realized there was a problem two seconds after Lin did.
...past a certain point even if they stopped pulling, just the force of pulling more line from the spool, coupled with the line pulling down on the basetube, was enough...
Harold stopped pulling IMMEDIATELY. The spool resistance was plenty enough to do the job.
I can't really tell when they released pressure, and when if ever the link broke or they cut the line.
Read the accounts.
http://www.kitestrings.org/topic81.html
2013/06/15 - Tres Pinos - jammed release

Until:

179-21811
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8609/16496620090_ee2a96d470_o.png

at which point the towline had just been cut through by a hose clamp for a wheel.
I have no idea what the towing situation was in this case...
You have no fuckin' clue which way is up.
...how high did they get?
What's it matter? Steve Elliot got fatally trashed just coming off the cart. Ollie here:

07-300
http://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7441/12980980635_a22762812d_o.png

had a similar unpleasant outcome piling in from under two and a half feet.
how high was the planned tow?
026-12323
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8573/16055019293_0096d40469_o.png
A lockout at low altitude is certainly different from the incident above, where there is little time to recognize the situation and then act.
No shit. Lemme write that down.
In contrast, the above video... the guy was wasting precious seconds after realizing there was a problem... neither trying more to release, nor getting ready to cut the line, nor getting ready to deploy... just waving legs hoping the people on the ground would understand and solve the problem.
1. You mean the people on the ground who couldn't be bothered to check him out before launching him, didn't have a guillotine 'cause it was too complicated, didn't have a hook knife cause they could never envision an emergency involving someone using their state-of-the-art equipment being stuck on tow?

2. Did a lot better than Master rated Advanced Instructor certified Kelly Fucking Harrison though, didn't he?
Luckily, he had enough time and didn't waste it all.
Suck my dick. It was totally stellar performance for new Two.
At the same time, an operator on the ground should also have had enough time to cut the line and give him a chance to recover...
He didn't have time to find anybody with a Swiss Army knife he could borrow.
While we could fault them at the tow line for a slow reaction, this video is an example of a principle:
***disclaimer: do not interpret this section as a judgement or implication of what happened in this incident, or an attempt to blame the deceased... I have almost no details on what happened...
Which itself speaks volumes.
...and this is not directed at this specific incident, but the very broad subject of instruction***

Safety of the pilot is the responsibility of two parties, the pilot and the school.
If it's a goddam Hang One under paid instruction it's pretty much all the school.
If either one stops doing their job, something bad can happen with very little that the other party can do to prevent it.
How 'bout in this case - in which she hadn't been trained and qualified to do her job?
I had a little accident while working towards my H2, and I don't fault the school at all. I had demonstrated many many 180 turns in either direction along the ridge... and we had started a flight plan of doing linked 180s if I was high enough for the 2nd one (at the beach, sort of beginning ridge soaring)... and multiple times in a row, I aborted the 2nd because I wasn't high enough over the ridge... then I was actually high enough... I started my 180 and was still maintaining altitude... linked 180s... ridge soaring... brainfart and loss of concentration... the 180 became more like a 225 because I didn't start rolling out fast enough... to a down/crosswind crash behind the ridge (it was relatively flat and level for a while behind the ridge, soft sand, nothing more than a bruise and bent tube)
Nothing really that the instructor could have done... I had been doing well previously, and hadn't had any "brain farts". No way to know how I'd react to a new experience, without actually reacting to that new experience
Nope. Absolutely nothing the instructor could've done. If he'd taken you up to a mountain ridge soaring site like Woodstock and let you fly your brains out in a brain dead easy band hundreds of feet over and a quarter mile out it wouldn't have made any difference.

And obviously it wouldn't have helped any if your instructor had been watching you and in radio contact to wake you up before you completed the extra 45 degrees of heading change.

That crash was totally inevitable. If you'd snapped your neck instead of just getting bruised and bending a downtube it would have just been one of those shit happens things.
There is a certain point, past a hang 1, where if a student loses focus and doesn't do the right thing... bad things will happen.
You can only keep them low and slow enough that there's no significant danger for so long... If you want to advance to H2, H3, H4... at some point you've got to fly solo and high enough where you can make a mistake and kill yourself.
1. So I'm really not seeing what the point of certified instruction is - other than to delay the serious crash that's pretty much written in the stars.
2. Is there an analogy for this in conventional aviation? Or is this just another one of those hang glider only things?
The school should be judging your progression to try and ensure that you won't f*ck up when that time comes... but its unreasonable to expect perfection in judging the mental state of others...
And if you can't do it to perfection you shouldn't be expected to do it at all. It certainly shouldn't be the instructor's job to check for fatigue, loss of concentration, dial down the tasks, assess performance on the baby stuff, advise calling it a day.
if that was reasonable, we'd have no mass shootings, terrorist attacks, etc.
And we certainly don't have anybody out there assessing questionable individuals, investigating, interceding. Nope, if somebody's gonna do a mass shooting or terrorist attack there's not a goddam thing anybody can do about it. 'Cept invade Iraq to look for weapons of mass destruction every once in a while.
Sometimes mistakes happen and they can be the fault of any involved party including the studen, and post H1, the energies involved are enough to be fatal.
Got me convinced. We're doing everything as best as is humanly possible and every time somebody buys it we all benefit because those statistics just make the sport more attractive for us.
2016/04/11 18:17:40 UTC - 3 thumbs up - piano_man
Dickheads.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

Richard Palmon - 2016/04/11 17:53:39 UTC

There are facts, reasons and situations (environment) as to why pilots LOCK OUT mentally/physically.
Drop the mentally lock out crap. We've had a dozen fatal US crashes since early last year. None of them were consequences of people mentally locking out. They're crashing because they've gotten in or been put in over their heads or are fucking up - or, in Ken Muscio's case, getting hit by somebody who fucked up.
On the other hand...There are also methods, procedures and solutions. To prevent a mental and or physical lock out.
Just make sure not to mention them because we don't want plaintiffs' attorneys being able to say we should've had them implemented decades ago.
It all starts with preparation. One skill at a time. One step at a time!
1. Just make sure you get those spot no-steppers taken care of before dealing with anything else.

2. Why does it hafta be one skill/step at a time? Is there some u$hPa SOP prohibiting us from working on as many skills as we can cram into a flight? I can think of two that are mandatory for every flight anyone ever takes regardless of what he's flying - and they happen to be the most important, demanding, and dangerous ones.
It's so easy to put a pilot in a situation that may be over their head.
I would disagree. Before I signed Frank Sauber off on his Two and qualified him for high flight I had him doing pretty impressive low turns at the training hills - multiple passes. So I wasn't the least bit worried about throwing him off a ramp a thousand plus feet over a Happy Acres putting green.
As instructors..we have to be extremely cautious in how we do busine$$.
Doesn't look like we are.
In my history of instruction. It's not unheard of to see instructors knowingly or unkoWINGly. Sell our service to excite and stimulate newbies. And once they are hooked! They become trusting, focused...
They're SUPPOSED to be FOCUSED. You're talking about that like it's a BAD thing.
...and even loyal!
WAY too loyal.
Regardless of the judgement, teaching skill level, motives or operations.
That's a problem Pat shouldn't be having again for a while.
A students safety should never be taken lightly. Even if we have to cancel a lesson, change the way we teach or do business.
I don't think my safety should be taken lightly when I'm hooked up behind a Dragonfly. u$hPa disagreed.
piano_man - 2016/04/11 18:06:50 UTC

accident reports

What I find disturbing is the lack of one reliable source where we pilots can go to read & learn about accidents that have happened and try to learn from these incidents/accidents.
1. Haven't looked very hard, have you?

2. Tell me how that's NOT by DESIGN. Didn't always used to be that way. But the good news is people haven't invented any ways to crash that hadn't established long track records by the early Eighties so all ya need to do is read the magazine archives. And in the early Eighties they weren't all that shy about telling what the fixes were.
If there is one please advise...
Nobody's permitted to advise it on The Jack Show.
...perhaps the org & the OZ report and the magazine is it.
Yeah, they're all pretty much the same.
It seems to me there is a catch-22 snafu where 'sharing' this info could become fodder for lawsuits and bad publicity for potential students...
Why is accurate information bad publicity for potential students? How much worse off would Nancy have been if she'd known about Debbie Young's 1999/12/11 fatal lockout?

And so what if this is fodder for lawsuits. Shouldn't some of these assholes who kill trusting students and thrill riders have their asses sued out of existence? The sport's going down the drain as we speak because every time it kills somebody u$hPa degrades its standards in order to be able to say that what was being done was typical and had an extremely looooong track record.
...on the one hand and endless speculations...
What's wrong with endless speculation? Let's say we bought Quest's bullshit about the invisible dust devil. What would be the downside of having extra windsocks around the field and made two point bridles and Tad-O-Links mandatory? (They very quietly implemented the Tad-O-Links as things were and Jim Keen-Intellect Rooney suddenly very quietly stopped running his fucking mouth about the looooong track record of the standard aerotow weak link.)
...and unwarranted criticisms on the other...
Let's say Pat's getting unwarranted criticisms on this one. What's stopping him from addressing them? Showing us the videos that prove or strongly indicate otherwise?
e.g, I think of kite string threads here...
Oh. You HAVE looked a bit.
...which btw I've never been able to read through just one of those threads.
I've never been able to read through the entire content of Wikipedia. So I just type in what it is that interests me at the moment and read all, most, some of the material related to it.
Tried one time took almost a week and I just gave up.
1. Now where...

AT release
piano_man - 2016/04/01 16:34:04 UTC

It's only part in jest as today is April Fool's Day, but seriously, I've tried to make sense of all those knots and pulleys but always give up.
...have I heard something like that recently?

2. I just spent about the same length of time - ending yesterday - scanning through every post on Kite Strings - about 9200 of them - to identify unsaved photos, dead links and videos, some errors here and there. I relearned things I'd forgotten and made some connections based on more advanced understanding and more recent information.

3. So what was stopping you from registering and talking to me and/or one or two of the few individuals who participate in or monitor the traffic here? Why does somebody hafta be a Jack Show member in good standing for you to engage him?

- You know that all the non Rube Goldberg releases totally suck but you won't pursue my stuff 'cause it's too complicated for you to understand. Is that how you shop for gliders? You get an early Seventies standard 'cause it's got fewer parts and you wouldn't get a T2C 'cause you can't understand the VG system by looking at the owner's manual schematics, can't figure out the sequence for installing all the bushings, spacers, collars, saddles, and washers at critical junctions, aren't all that sure how sprog adjustment works?

- You know you're getting total crap in the way of accident reporting from u$hPa, Davis, and Jack - who are all the same people - but it's too much trouble to look into the Kite Strings coverage of Jean Lake to learn everything u$hPa doesn't want anyone to know about it?

And you won't even ask anybody over here for help in walking you through things?
I haven't gone so far as to document any of the so many reports I've come across over the years but it seems to me most of the time - as of late - I've learned about them haphazardly and often by hearsay, the last one (just a few days ago) was a student from Oklahoma texting me about a Georgia pilot being heli-airlifted to a hospital in Florida.
Welcome to the future.
I'm just a pilot, not an instructor or flight school owner.
If you were an instructor or flight school owner you'd know to never do a hook-in check as it would give you a false sense of security. You'd also know never to do a stomp test so as to eliminate the risk of grinding a sidewire into a sharp rock.
I can't imagine what they go through when serious accidents & fatalities occur.
Massive cover-up efforts.
I've seen them cringe when their students just take off from the mountain for the first time and don't perform the classic conservative approach on landing.
02-02513
http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5075/14208925773_f327a6169e_o.png
03-02800
http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5493/14165632776_5cf298464c_o.png
06-24901
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7401/14002108089_d8cb00a0c2_o.png
08-43827
http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5120/14188732974_08536f5037_o.png
12-45812
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2907/14186191732_79f3f38d41_o.png
14-50104
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2930/14188775255_69d724b438_o.png
15-50209
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2908/14208899483_ddcdb0b12b_o.png

Put the fuckin' glider down...

23-10629
http://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1843/44410454212_5ffcaa5588_o.png
28-11505
http://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4231/34683464104_88bfcfd2b1_o.png
34-12413
http://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4216/34683462724_74534af232_o.png
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

Davis Straub - 2016/04/11 18:45:46 UTC

Dave Jacob
http://blueskyhg.com/
Rock on! Steve Wendt. He's exceptionally knowledgeable. Hell, he's so exceptionally knowledgeable that he signed off Jim Keen-Intellect Rooney's instructor rating. You've gotta be exceptionally exceptionally knowledgeable to do something like that.
2016/04/11 23:15:20 UTC - thumbs up - rregier
flyhg1 - 2016/04/11 20:09:23 UTC

You can't ever know for sure how a person will react in an emergency situation until that person is faced with an actual emergency.
1. Yeah, that was the problem. Nancy didn't know how to react to the emergency situation of a Hang One training tow. I know those things make my blood run cold and I have a real hard time holding things together until I'm safely down and stopped.

2. Nah. No fuckin' way can you do emergency simulation exercises - the way the rest of the planet does when teaching people to react properly in emergency situations.
2016/04/11 20:29:14 UTC - 3 thumbs up - Paul Hurless
Go fuck yourself, Paul.
Richard Palmon - 2016/04/11 21:18:16 UTC

Is it fair to say that instructors can prepare and train students how to handle an emergency or potential lock out situation?
Sure. Everybody does that. They:

- take them up to altitude tandem and teach them how to roll out of violent turns flying with only the left hand on the left control tube.

- all teach you to put a loop of 130 pound test fishing line on a bridle end with the not hidden so it will meet with your expectation breaking as early as possible in lockout situations, but being strong and reliable enough to avoid frequent breaks from turbulence.
To avoid a student from locking out on a training hill. Most instructors know how to introduce students to wind speeds and gusts gradually.
Of course nothing like that is possible in surface towing.

And it's not like you could train everybody prone at all times - starting them off on a trainer with Gregg Ludwig landing gear or a cart. It's really easy to have someone start by foot launching off a hill and staying upright but it would be nuts start with short glides off a dolly.
Tow line pressure, tension...
TENSION? In addition to tow line pressure? How would you transmit tension? A long hydraulic line?
...and speed is another story and added dynamic along with wind speeds/gusts.
Think Nancy had enough speed?
Takeo77 - 2016/04/11 21:37:31 UTC

Air France 447, Colgan Air 3407, Asiana 214, C-5 Galaxy 84-0059 come to mind.
A lot of this game is not getting into emergency situations you can't get back out of in one piece.
Dave Jacob - 2016/04/11 22:25:22 UTC

Looks like a sweet facility they have at Blue Sky.
Yeah. No nasty drop-offs until you get about ninety miles away. So when Steve's products run off ramps without being connected to their gliders and tandem passengers the connection back to Steve ain't all that strong.
I'm guessing you were wanting me to see the low towing.
You've gotta be extremely careful looking at anything Davis wants you to see.
But are they not H0's working on their H1's?
Yes.
MSC doesn't even let students on tow until they have their H1 from foot launching on the local hills and they start them towing low as well.
And we all know how well that worked out.
I don't know how long they do it for but I've seen that at their training site. At some point you need to pull the students higher though so a release becomes necessary.
You immediately start perfecting your flare timing so you'll be prepared to land in a narrow dry riverbed with large rocks strewn all over the place whenever you need to but separating from tow under normal sled conditions is a skill you don't start attempting until you're well on your way to a Two and have plenty of air below you. And we wonder why Nancy failed to release even with the prospect of a couple of broken arms an fatal head trauma seconds ahead of her.
But in agreeing with your original statement...
Keep agreeing with Davis's original statements. Hard to go wrong.
I think it would be best to share access to the release with the instructor.
Sure. Hell, why not just have the instructor up there with the student doing everything the student's supposed to be learning to do to stay alive on a hang glider? And with an easily reachable release and four hands available you'll have an extra one left over rather than needed. But don't worry... Only a hook-in check will give the student a false sense of security.
Richard Palmon - 2016/04/11 22:52:29 UTC

Help me out here guys! How does the mindset of a mass shooter compare to somebody wanting to learn how to fly a Hang glider?
It's The Jack Show. Get used to it.
And how are airbus crashes equal in comparison to hg crashes?
What's it matter how big the plane is? Don't they all crash and kill people mostly for the same reasons? Power failure, stalls, blown launches and landings?
If your saying or making the point that people screw up!

As instructors...we should know this simple fact. And do everything to guard ourselves against this reality! And teach....Teach in a way that allows student pilots or pilots in general. To expand their comfort zone and skill set.
Do you ever teach them to land like REAL aircraft and not tolerate total shit typical towing equipment?
In flyhg1 comment. He says FACED with an emergency. We can argue if hg pilots/students choose or are put in emergency situations.
Isn't somebody who tows up with an easily reachable release, Infallible Weak Link, and/or pro toad bridle choosing to put himself in an emergency situation that begins when the glider starts moving forward?
once&future - 2016/04/11 23:10:21 UTC

I always felt that was one of the good arguments for the old-style slow-march-up-the-training-hill style of instruction. It would tend to generate the occasional "micro-emergency", like getting popped up or turned a bit in a little gust, and the instructor could see if the student focused or froze - but at an altitude where the latter wouldn't be a fatal mistake.

I would like to think that by the time I would throw my pre-H2's off the big hill I had at least an inkling that they could respond proactively to unexpected stressful events in flight. I would hope that any training program would provide similar opportunities for the instructor to evaluate the emergency response of their students early in their training.
Name a training program that doesn't treat every landing as an emergency ditch in a narrow dry riverbed with large rocks strewn all over the place.
2016/04/11 23:13:05 UTC - 3 thumbs up - Richard Palmon
Richard Palmon - 2016/04/11 23:24:20 UTC

Thank You once&future! For you to put it so plain and simple is a breath of fresh air!
For those that know me? It's fine if you have your opinions or judgements of me?
Yours Truly!
Old Wind Bag

p.s. I would also like to add. That a solid, clear and concise training program. Should not force some students into purchasing 15 le$$ons to acquire a high quality hg1?
Should pilots be forced to buy tandem lessons in order to get AT signoffs?
Takeo77 - 2016/04/11 23:44:45 UTC
flyhg1 - 2016/04/11 20:09:23 UTC

You can't ever know for sure how a person will react in an emergency situation until that person is faced with an actual emergency.
That was exactly my point. I am not saying there shouldn't be a thorough examination of the situation, changes to training implemented, and even technological fixes, but the fact is people screw up in real life very badly, regardless of their level of training or the situation involved, and as others have said just when you think you have all the problems nailed down someone will figure out some new way to kill themselves.
Name some new ways people are killing themselves.
I've almost been in a locked out (mental, not physical) situation and the only thing that saved me was the training I got in the military that said, in essence "if you panic, you die", the decision point vs taking this action or that was so blurred it could have gone either way... it's a situation no instructor can consistently foresee (and if you can, then you're awarded the immediate rank of jedi master).
In the military you can find yourself in a position in which no matter what you do you can or will die.
In addition to all of the technique-based training, and technological fixes...
Tell me about the technological fixes Pat had implemented prior to putting Nancy up. If he could turn the clock back on the condition that he had to launch her again would he have used the same equipment?
...perhaps there needs to be some self examination of the underlying psychology of these kinds of accidents...
Bullshit. He put a student in way the fuck over her head on total crap equipment and she bought it.
...for me personally, dealing with emotional and mental states are far more difficult problems (and rarely addressed by the myriad of instructors I have been exposed to) than simply handling the glider.
So you think the problem was that Nancy had some emotional and mental issues going on that prevented her from functioning as she had been extensively trained to? Maybe had an issue with a boyfriend going on that interfered with her concentration on the task at hand?
2016/04/12 01:33:52 UTC - 3 thumbs up - Jim Rowan
2016/04/12 03:16:25 UTC - 3 thumbs up - Glenn Zapien
Figures.
Richard Palmon - 2016/04/11 23:53:55 UTC

And improvements we will make!
When should we start holding our breath? You obviously haven't made any improvements up to this point, you didn't do shit after Lin Lyons, Jean Lake, or any of the myriad of other recent bloodbath disasters. Why should we expect you to start doing something now?
As we work together into the future.
So you still think this sport has a future?
As instructors!
1. Since we totally suck as engineers!

2. Let's say you hang gliding DOES have a future and you DO work together to revolutionize instruction and safety SOPs. What do you think the chances are that u$hPa will incorporate and other operations will adopt them? Cite some prior examples from the past three dozen years.
It is tough to manage a calm, cool and truly confident environment.
Wanna see a calm, cool, and truly confident environment?

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7597/16975005972_c450d2cdda_o.png

Do you have some reason to believe that Tres Pinos wasn't an equally calm, cool, and truly confident environment fifteen seconds before Nancy slammed in? It's a no fuckin' brainer that Nancy was killed BECAUSE the environment was calm, cool, and truly confident when it should have been anything but. Ditto for all the other recent fatalities.

http://ozreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13132
Unhooked Death Again - Change our Methods Now?
Quinn Cornwell - 2009/01/24 19:57:03 UTC

No, don't think about the jagged boulders. That'll mess with your head. Don't ever tell pilots to think about "Oh, if you screw this up, you'll crash and burn into those jagged rocks down there, so make sure you don't screw this up." This sort of psychology is detrimental. It's good to be conscience of the dangers in hang gliding, pointing this out right before you start running is just plain stupid.
Nobody ever slammed gliderless into the jagged rocks below launch after considering the possibility.
Skill set is everything!
Yeah. Tell that to Kelly, Trey, Rafi, and Jesse.
The psychology of any student/pilot is the hardest part as instructors to nurture. And yes! For future sake. A discussion on what locks a student/pilot out? Mentally and or physically. I'm sure if we take a much closer look at how to recognize and prevent talented/non-talented student/pilots. I'm sure we will start to see a pattern emerge.
What a load o' total crap.
Richard Palmon - 2016/04/12 00:12:51 UTC

One thing I know for a fact after working with thousands of newbies. Mental tension creates physical tension and vice versa.

Both can be remedied and nurtured equally and evenly.

My voice in posting on behalf of Nancy and all student pilots. Is geared and aimed more toward our community of instructors. Be they old, new or potential.

I don't want to see or hear of anymore fatalities in our beloved sport. And maybe after we are gone...we can only hope that the efforts and sacrifices we make today. Will make what we all want for our sport. A reality.....
See above.
Takeo77 - 2016/04/12 00:17:27 UTC

You're not going to get any disagreement from me. I'm still a Hang-3, but I have instructed critical skills in another venue, and I'm always thinking about how I would have taught myself differently. My instructors did a good job (which is why I am still here despite myself) but I have a long list of potential improvements inside myself for when the time is right. Hopefully everyone else is compiling that same list.
See above.
Davis Straub - 2016/04/12 00:23:34 UTC

Dave Jacob

All students at Blue Sky learn first using the low and slow method with the small scooter tow. Later students are taken to a hill side to learn to launch on a hill.

Other tow methods are used for more advanced students later at the Blue Sky flight park.
Then they graduate to cliff launches where they understand that it all comes down to one thing: you've got to hook in. Period.
The low and slow scooter tow method is in my humble opinion by far the best instruction method.
What's your current humble opinion on the safest possible weak link and why do you think that Pat was using one that was too strong to work when it needed to? Was he trading off safety for the sake of convenience?
I have written extensively about it in the Oz Report over the years...
So many wonderful things you've written extensively about it in the Oz Report over the years. Hard to understand how the sport could be going down in flames now.
...and has been endorsed by Wills Wing.
The Wills Wing that produced the tandem glider in the photo above? The Wills Wing that designs all its gliders for foot launched soaring flight, not to be motorized, tethered, or towed - and tells us to always use an appropriate weak link with a finished length of 1.5 inches or less but doesn't give a flying fuck what we use for a...

...release?
Richard Palmon - 2016/04/12 01:01:29 UTC

This is proof that scooter towing, aerotowing, hillside launching, cart launching etc.. can be done with the highest degree of safety and success.
Yeah. Whenever Davis is happy with something we can safely assume that it's proof of the highest degree of safety and success.
For schools or instructors to set their ego's aside.
I'm guessing Pat's ego is been pretty much set aside. This is the event in his life that will permanently define what's left of it.
Is another subject in itself. We can learn and make teaching more enjoyable.
Since we're geared up to make the learning as unpleasant and degrading as possible.
JJ Coté - 2016/04/12 01:02:55 UTC
Richard Palmon - 2016/04/09 04:55:10 UTC

I should have put a ? mark after "herself."
Richard Palmon - 2016/04/09 05:38:58 UTC

It would be speculation if I were to say..."She was towing to prove herself!"
You know. I hate to! have to say it? But your. Punctuation and formatting is so arcane and? Unpredictable that I really can't believe that! Anybody could infer any kind of nuance from? it!
ARCANE is the adjective you'd use to describe that lunacy?
Richard Palmon - 2016/04/12 01:09:21 UTC

Sorry jjcote.
How 'bout all your other readers?
I would never claim to be a writer.
And you'd never make the slightest effort to become one. 120 posts in this thread as I write this post, 40 of them, a third, are yours and you couldn't do any better than that with a gun to your head.
And no worries for pointing it out.
But you're gonna be the one spearheading the movement to revolutionize hang gliding instruction - which is pretty much all about communication.
Richard Palmon - 2016/04/12 01:11:08 UTC

I should have mavi edit and proof read my post before I hit submit Image
1. "Mavi" is supposed to be capitalized, "proofread" is one word and generally something one does BEFORE editing, "post" should be plural, "Image" isn't a punctuation mark with which one ends sentences.

2. Yeah, Mavi should have a bit more spare time now that he won't be busy posting on Kite Strings.

P.S. Speaking of literacy... Mission's still advertising:

http://hang-gliding.com
The Mission Soaring Hang Gliding school provides professional training on state-of-the-art equipment at our dedicated training site at Tres Pinos (near Hollister, CA),.. just south of the San Jose / San Francisco Bay Area.
top center on their home page - contrary to what I've been saying since the Nancy leak hit the airwaves.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

Erik Boehm - 2016/04/12 07:05:57 UTC
once&future - 2016/04/11 23:10:21 UTC

I always felt that was one of the good arguments for the old-style slow-march-up-the-training-hill style of instruction. It would tend to generate the occasional "micro-emergency", like getting popped up or turned a bit in a little gust, and the instructor could see if the student focused or froze - but at an altitude where the latter wouldn't be a fatal mistake.
"tend to" does not mean always... do it enough, and statistics says eventually you'll have a bad outcome.
Bull fucking shit.
Ryan Voight - 2016/04/07 20:07:36 UTC

These three events I know of, from the other side of the country, within the past few years. Were there other, lesser incidents? Could there have been, and "luck" was a factor in there being a favorable outcome instead?
Erik Hinrichs - 2016/04/08 00:38:45 UTC

The safety record is very questionable being that we hear about major problems fairly frequently. I can guarantee that there are many other issues and incidents that most of us never hear about.
You don't suddenly pile drive a student into a shortly-to-be-lifeless pulp without getting warnings from lotsa near misses, bent and broken downtubes, and a few broken arms and dislocated shoulders.
Those little "micro-emergencies" while still very low will not have the same mental effect as a similar one up higher where the person recognizes a greater potential danger. They may handle the same thing calmly down low, and freeze once speed/altitude increase.
Bullshit.
Can you do things to make instruction safer/ unsafe? sure.
Can you make all instruction past H-1 completely 100% safe? no.

What was the case in this incident? I have no idea.
Get fucked. All these comments about students mentally locking out and freezing in emergency situations are deliberate and/or knee-jerk responses geared to absolving the "instructor" of responsibility for fatally pile driving an unqualified student. Nancy was a goddam Mission Hang One with zilch in the way of experience beyond running a Condor off the training hill in glassy conditions, staying upright with her hands way the fuck up on the control tubes...

04-03122
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7411/14002169857_c3b9551a3b_o.png

...from start to finish, keeping the glider straight as a fuckin' arrow, and focusing ninety percent of her attention on nailing her flare timing. Pat put her into a situation in which immediate and substantial roll control authority could have been called for and was and she didn't have a fuckin' clue how to respond. If she did...

http://ozreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=27086
Steve Pearson on landings
Steve Pearson - 2012/03/28 23:26:05 UTC

I can't control the glider in strong air with my hands at shoulder or ear height and I'd rather land on my belly with my hands on the basetube than get turned downwind.
...her hands wouldn't have been on the control tubes at shoulder or ear height where we know to a dead certainty...
Richard Palmon - 2016/04/09 04:08:26 UTC

Both arms looked fractured.
...they were. Same place Joe Julik's were when he got hit by the rare and elusive Whitewater Invisible Dust Devil.

And if you Jack Show motherfuckers wanna keep playing the mental lockout card then show us some videos which prove that this convenient cop-out phenomenon actually exists out in the REAL world.
Janica Lee - 2016/04/12 07:57:32 UTC

Transparency of process, please
How much more...
Mark G. Forbes - 2016/04/06 16:41:47 UTC

There was a fatal crash on Sunday at the training site in Tres Pinos, near Hollister. The H1-rated pilot apparently turned away from the line, locked out and failed to release. An investigation is under way to review the facts and produce an accident report.

Please be careful out there.
...TRANSPARENCY do you need things? Pilot error. Shit happens. Let's be careful out there. Move on. Get a fuckin' life.
Ryan Voight - 2016/04/11 13:37:20 UTC

...you don't get to point a finger...
Already had reached out to AG directly... so put your finger away.

Calling attention to the process/non-process, not the personalities. Geographical distance + time zone difference are not factors in the delay here.
When are they EVER factors in the delays here? It's not like we're dependent upon the Pony Express to relay communications back and forth.
Am I honestly the only one floored by the fact eyewitnesses haven't been contacted a week after the accident?
Possibly. A lot of us are totally disgusted but anybody who's been watching the shit u$hPa's been pulling the last couple decades and is floored by this is a total moron.
Usually a 1st step in a non-biased investigation.
What part of:
An investigation is under way to review the facts and produce an accident report.
are you having so much trouble understanding?
To passively rely on eyewitnesses to make reports on a known incident doesn't inspire confidence in the teeth promised by the RRG proponents to get to the truth and/or fight off lawsuits.
http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=32681
Tandem crash in LV (speculation thread)
Mark G. Forbes - 2015/03/30 23:29:59 UTC

Please, no speculation

Hi folks,

I understand the interest in learning the cause of this, but could we please not speculate on the forum? We have a very experienced tow administrator (Mitch Shipley) headed to Las Vegas to do an accident investigation, and when we learn what really happened we'll convey that information to our members. He'll be working with two of the local instructors there to get to the truth.

Meanwhile, please refrain from offering speculation or opinion on what might have happened, what might have been theoretically done to prevent it and so on. Emotions are raw, people are hurting, and uninformed speculation doesn't help anybody. News reports are of little use since they're written by people who have no idea how our sport works or what is typical.

Thanks for your understanding and patience.
If the delay is an issue of needing more volunteers, members would step up to help. Myself included.
How big a video card do you think you can swallow?
2016/04/12 14:41:38 UTC - 3 thumbs up - Michael Grisham
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

Robert Kesselring - 2016/04/12 11:01:49 UTC

Hang gliding is dangerous.

One of the most critical questions that comes to my mind is "Was the student aware that hang gliding is dangerous?"
Three seconds before impact the idea was at least beginning to occur to her.
We all do everything we can to mitigate the danger...
Who the fuck is "WE", dickhead? u$hPa, Pat, all these student and ride factories do as much as they possibly can to PREVENT danger from being mitigated.
...but at the end of the day, it can't be completely eliminated, even by the most competent pilots/instructors.
Then let's talk about Karen Carra and Ken Muscio - 'cause those are about the only half decent recent fatal examples lending credence to your statement.
Did this pilot go into training with her eyes open and aware of the danger? Or was she fed some "hang gliding is very safe" line of BS?
She was fed the usual state-of-the-art equipment, upright control flying, foot landing, simplicity line of bullshit.
If her instructors told her hang gliding was safe then (in my opinion) they are guilty of something very close to homicide.
They're guilty of negligent homicide no matter what they did or didn't do in this one - or should be found so by a jury anyway.
Besides the obvious moral problem with putting someone in a dangerous situation without telling them that it's dangerous, how do you expect to teach risk mitigation without informing students of the risk?
Get fucked. Nobody's slamming in 'cause hang gliding is inherently dangerous. Nancy slammed in 'cause of the criminally negligent shit that Mission and u$hPa have pulled for decades as SOP and "typical". Notice Mark G. Forbes has been absent from a relevant participation in this thread since the opening post - 2016/04/06 16:41:47 UTC, 120 posts back from yours.
If, on the other hand, the student was accurately informed about the risks of hang gliding, then all I see here is an unfortunate tragedy.
Oh. If she scribbled her name at the bottom of the standard waiver form when she handed over her credit card anything that Mission did subsequently was totally OK and they're totally off the hook.
If there was negligence on the part of the instructors...
IF?!?!
...then that needs to be addressed.
It has been. Right at the opening post Mark asked us to please be careful out there. What more do you want?
But if she chose to engage in an activity she knew to be dangerous, then there's a lot less room for finger pointing in my opinion.
Fuck your opinion. And don't bother registering for Kite Strings.
Dave Gills - 2016/04/12 11:59:43 UTC

Think R.W.T.S.
(Remember What Tad Said)?
Eat shit and die, sleazy Jack Show motherfuckers?
R = Release
Hands free release you can operate instantly w/o moving hands from control bar like a Russian mouth release.
Or Joe Street's release:
http://www.getoffrelease.com/
W= Weak Link
1.5-2.0 G in strength so when you are in the kill zone you don't get dumped off tow with a stupid high nose attitude.
If you do it's your fault for not keeping the nose down enough. If you're functioning as a pilot it'll just be an inconvenience increasing the safety of the towing operation.
T= Two point tow
T= THREE point tow - half the tension to the pilot and pilot, the other half to the glider.
Allows you to have pitch down authority when you need it w/ bridle attached to keel and harness.
Incorrect understanding.
S= Safety
Preflight your Release, Weak Link & bridle every time before you launch.
Why bother preflighting your release? It's a mechanical thing and will fail from time to time no matter how carefully you maintain and preflight it.
This is nothing new folks.
I dunno. The reactions always seem to get more clueless and insane.
Davis Straub - 2016/04/12 12:55:45 UTC

There is no way that hang gliding instruction for beginning students should be dangerous.
1. That should only come later when they show up at one of your AT comps and are forced to use standard aerotow weak links and your cheap shit bent pin pro toad equipment.

2. Well then what is their attraction to the sport supposed to be based on?
It has been proven not to be dangerous with the right instruction procedures.
And the very best of easily reachable releases - the kind that were banned (at least for a short while) from the Worlds at Hay. One of our many proven systems that work.
Brad Barkley - 2016/04/12 13:18:11 UTC

This is a H1 scooter tow flight I did during my training at Blue Sky.
Funny this one doesn't seem to have been important and relevant enough for Steve Exceptionally-Knowledgeable Wendt to have weighed in and given us the benefit of some of his exceptional knowledge, dontchya think? How come his students feel the need to contribute but he doesn't? If he really gives a flying fuck about the lives of the people participating in the sport - other than the ones who have just handed him their credit cards - then why isn't he saying anything?
Here I'm on a Falcon and allowed to practice going prone...
Oh, the Great Steve Exceptionally-Knowledgeable Wendt has ALLOWED you to PRACTICE going prone. How long did you hafta suck his dick to earn a privilege like that?

Me? I was *NEVER* ALLOWED to PRACTICE going prone. I was doing it two seconds into my first ever flight on a hang glider - as was demonstrated and instructed at Kitty Hawk Kites 36 years and ten days ago.
...but only after weeks of being pulled on a Condor very low and very slow, working up to this flight in small increments.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIsd9IkjrKs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIsd9IkjrKs
Wow. That was truly amazing for somebody who only had weeks of being pulled on a Condor very low and very slow, working up to that flight in small increments. Reminds me a lot of:

http://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4778/39004826790_90f4fd60c9_o.jpg

Me? After six days, five of them flying, a was doing dune soaring quality turns, had my Two, and was invited to come back as an Instructor. And I did that fall - with no further flights in the interim. But then I wasn't encumbered by the serious Fetal Alcohol Syndrome issues a lot of you good ol' Manquin boys seem to be.

There's your smoking gun video, people of varying ages. With the best hang gliding instructor with the best instructional tow system on the planet and after weeks of being pulled on a Condor very low and very slow Brad has been able to work up in small increments to flying with the skill of a sack of potatoes. Dead air, releases himself with everything going right, literally never deviates from the runway centerline half a degree.

So what expectations should we have had of Nancy's capabilities after her experience in this widely denounced and discredited operation?

Also...

If Pat's using state-of-the-art-equipment then what's Steve using? Shouldn't they both be using the same stuff?
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

Diev Hart - 2016/04/12 15:00:59 UTC

I am with ya Davis...
Hard to go wrong in this sport being with Davis. I'd have been stunned if you weren't. (Funny there's no mention of - let alone discussion of - this one over on HIS rag, dontchya think?)
I still can't get why they(MSC) think pulling a H1 off a cart into the air with a (Toyota) truck motor (not scooter mind you) and also expecting them to play with that crazy AOA needed (and the skills to recover from any issues)while ST...is safe....I don't care how good of a throttle operator/instructor one is...i feel this process is just wrong period....and I have said this in the past.....
So sad and makes me sick, pissed, angry, frustrated....
1. So having a Toyota truck motor means you hafta use all its available power. It's physically impossible to regulate it for a low and slow skim.

2. What SKILLS to recover from shit? What SKILLS were guys like Arlen Birkett, Steve Elliot, Zack Marzec, Ollie Chitty, John Claytor lacking when they ran into their issues?

3. I guess you were totally OK with Mission's state-of-the-art glider end equipment.

http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=22540
LMFP release dysfunction
Diev Hart - 2011/07/14 17:19:12 UTC

I have had issues with them releasing under load. So I don't try to release it under a lot of load now.
http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=30306
Non-fatal crash in Tres Pinos, CA
Scott Howard - 2014/11/06 16:06:31 UTC

...the best i can do for now is a clip of the day b4 when i told the instructor about release problem. (still released by normal method but had to yank 3 times on release to get it to release.)
Never heard any comments to the contrary from you.
Ryan Voight - 2016/04/12 15:19:18 UTC
I am with ya Davis...
...expecting them to play with that crazy AOA needed (and the skills to recover from any issues) while ST
Image x2billion

Technically, it's a high relative nose angle to the horizon, but NOT a high AofA... while on tow... but when the tow force is reduced, disappears, whatever... then it's suddenly a VERY high AofA.
1. Technically? I guess if it's just TECHNICALLY it's nothing we really hafta worry about.

2. Oh. Like when a Rooney Link increase the safety of the towing operation...

http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=11497
Aerotow release options?
Tad Eareckson - 2009/07/04 00:46:06 UTC

There IS NO SUCH THING as "the limit for safe operation" with respect to tow line tension 'cause you can get killed BECAUSE you have ZERO tension (ask Helen) and you can be perfectly safe under tension which falls just shy of the point at which your port cross spar is gonna buckle.
Jack Axaopoulos - 2009/07/04 01:08:20 UTC

You really need to stop with exaggerating to the point of lying, just to try to make your point, its annoying and misleading.

If you are under ZERO tension, then you are simply a hang glider flying. You DO know how to fly a fricken glider dont you???? Image
Tad Eareckson - 2009/07/04 11:50:50 UTC

Nope. I just know how to read, observe, and think.

Two things I'm sure of - death and taxes.
And one of the factors that goes into the first thing...
When you lose tow tension your angle of attack goes way up.
And if your angle of attack was way too high to begin with, your hang glider may not ever again be of any use to you or anyone else.
Jack Axaopoulos - 2009/07/04 12:13:01 UTC

Bullshit.

a) only the pilot can let the angle of attack increase when you lose tension. Thats 100% on the pilot. You are simply wrong and misleading again.

b) "And if your angle of attack was way too high to begin with..." Which should never be the case or youre making a pilot error. Again, you are misleading people.

This is the problem I have with you. You attempt to fallaciously attribute pilot errors to issues of mechanical towing devices or other things.

Sorry... but if you suddenly lose power, your nose just doesnt pop Image
Mike Lake - 2009/07/04 12:16:32 UTC

At the risk of death threats.....

I admire the undoubted skill and bravery of pilots who are able to deliberately break a weak link to get them out of trouble.
That this technique can be relied upon horrifies me.
Michael Bradford - 2009/07/04 13:00:24 UTC

SG,

A glider under tow is a powered aircraft. String powered. When climbing under power, the angle of attack is relevant to the climb path, not the horizon. And if the tow force is subtracted instantly, the angle of attack is instantly translated, whether or not there is pilot input. A classic Departure Stall can easily, almost instantly result. Pitch and power are not independent forces.

If you are in the middle of a climbing correction when the "power" fails, failure to immediately lower the angle of attack can yield an immediate deep stall.
Jack Axaopoulos - 2009/07/04 13:48:47 UTC

My second sentence describes what im trying to say better.

Agree on the power versus non-power. Just never had an issue cuz I know how to fly a glider. If you dont instinctively know how to set your proper angle of attack in any given scenario, you shouldnt even be flying. Any sudden loss of bar pressure should trigger a response from the pilot.

What I was trying to address is AT's original quote:
There IS NO SUCH THING as "the limit for safe operation" with respect to tow line tension 'cause you can get killed BECAUSE you have ZERO tension
Its nonsense and more grandstanding. You can get killed BECAUSE you ran out of gas in your car. You can get killed BECAUSE you stop pedaling your bicycle. Image

Guess what, I can fly a glider all over the sky with a towline attached to the nose and nothing on the other end, and guess what??? It still flies! WOW! Image

Really sick of this bombastic, grandstanding, arguing style I come to my own forum each day and get pissed off. Time to end this.
This something you just figured out recently, Ryan Instant-Hands-Free-Release Voight?
Stationary winch towing CAN BE a very safe and practical method of teaching- both the "low and slow" style that we tend to associate with the term scooter towing, and also the use of a stationary winch to get students higher in order to practice things like setting up approaches, transitions to/from prone, etc... But even though both of those uses of a stationary winch involve very different tow methodology... NEITHER should ever employ such a drastically high nose angle... because weaklinks break...
WHY do weak links break? What kind of dickhead uses a weak link that has any possibility of breaking while the pilot is under or fighting for control?
...releases can open unexpectedly or accidently...
Any comment on the fact that Pat was deliberately putting everybody up on Birrenators - which function EXACTLY like the release system that killed Brad Anderson and Eric Aasletten back in 1990?
...engines can stall...
Yeah. That's a real biggie in glider towing - engines stalling at just the wrong time. The only reason engines stall in hang glider towing is so assholes like Ryan Instant-Hands-Free-Release Voight and Jim Keen-Intellect Rooney can tell everybody standard aerotow weak link pops are no big fuckin' deals 'cause we hafta be prepared for loss of tow pressure at all times anyway.
...whatever...
What? You ran outta stuff already?
...and expecting a new pilot (or even a very experienced one!)...
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3713/9655904048_89cce6423a_o.png
...to make such a drastic correction to nose angle, reacting quickly and within a very short window before it's too late...
...or when it's not too late but the stall is so severe...

06-00601
http://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1559/24907345841_d1522e0549_o.png

...that the glider's gonna tumble...
...is a recipe for accidents.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/skysailingtowing/message/4633
Weaklinks and aerotowing (ONLY)
Steve Kroop - 2005/02/10 04:50:59 UTC

Weak links are there to protect the equipment not the glider pilot. Anyone who believes otherwise is setting them selves up for disaster.
Towing with these high nose angles is the result from pulling "too hard", IE high tow forces... or in other words too much line tension... and, more specific to this recent accident- it's known that high tow forces accelerate lockout situations DRAMATICALLY.
1. Which, of course, is why we use Rooney Links to increase the safety of the towing operation.

2. It's KNOWN that high tow forces accelerate lockout situations DRAMATICALLY? Like it's KNOWN that keeping your foot on the gas when you've lost the curve is going to accelerate you into a tree DRAMATICALLY? Duh.

3. But ya know what ISN'T discussed very much?

http://www.chgpa.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3661
Flying the 914 Dragonfly
Jim Rooney - 2008/12/06 20:01:49 UTC

You will only ever need full throttle for the first fifty feet of a tandem tow. Don't ever pull a solo at full throttle... they will not be able to climb with you. You can tow them at 28 mph and you'll still leave them in the dust... they just won't be able to climb with you... weaklinks will go left and right.
http://ozreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=24846
Is this a joke ?
Davis Straub - 2011/08/26 14:04:52 UTC

We had six weaklink breaks in a row at Zapata this year. Russell Brown (tug pilot, tug owner, Quest Air owner) said go ahead and double up (four strands of Cortland Greenspot). He knows I used his Zapata weaklink in Big Spring (pilots were asked to tell the tug pilot if they were doing that).
"Too hard" tow forces also get people capable of flying gliders the fuck into the air and through the kill zone with tons of airspeed and control authority and a minimum of risk exposure time. Within a reasonable range the higher the towline tension....
Zack C - 2011/03/04 05:29:28 UTC

As for platform launching, I was nervous about it when I started doing it. It looked iffy, like things could get bad fast. I've since logged around 100 platform launches and have seen hundreds more. Never once was there any issue. I now feel platform launching is the safest way to get a hang glider into the air (in the widest range of conditions). You get away from the ground very quickly and don't launch until you have plenty of airspeed and excellent control.
...the fewer people you're gonna kill in the long run.

http://ozreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9230
Departing the launch cart
Jim Rooney - 2007/09/01 02:39:53 UTC

I don't tow solos under full power... you could't keep up with me if I did. I wouldn't be going faster horizontally, but my accelleration and climb rate would be so extreme that most pilots couldn't keep up the timing needed to make it work. (I think Bo's the only one I've successfully towed at full boost)

Which brings us to the reason to have a 914 in the first place... you need one.
Something made you get a 914 instead of a 582. 914s are horribly expensive to own and maintain. If you own one, you need it... it's a safety thing. Short runways, tall trees, whatever. You've got a 914 to increase your safety margin. So when it comes down to my safety or having a conversation, we're going to have a conversation. Wether you chose to adjust is then up to you.
And that actually DOES increase the safety of the towing operation for all concerned - 'specially in an AT operation when there's another plane involved.
So, less time for a pilot to react (or think, then react!)... more speed... and if it comes to it, greater impact forces...
That's a reason to keep a new student low and skimming. But that's not anything we wanna be applying to qualified pilots - who can't afford to be going up in thermal soaring conditions if they need to THINK about how to react WHEN a wing goes up. Flying slow in:
- dead air down in ground effect is pretty safe
- thermal conditions up high is what hang gliders are designed to do
- anything in between tends to be a really bad idea
I will say again- I was not there for this accident, and the only information I have about it is what is in this thread.
Based upon what we've had in the way of eyewitness reports so far it seems like only one person who survived the afternoon was there.
I'm mostly speaking in generalities above, based on the commonality in the 3 serious incidents I know of from this operation.
Appreciate you setting yourself up so nicely with this one, Ryan.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

Davis Straub - 2016/04/12 15:27:13 UTC

Years ago at the USHPA BOD meeting I spoke with Pat about his towing system. I was dismayed.
Years ago I tried to get the u$hPa BOD dickheads to do something about the lunatic Davis Link situation that was driving global hang glider aerotowing into the ground - literally. Didn't have much luck then but I'm getting massive toldyaso payoffs nowadays - motherfucker.
It takes real work to understand how the many aspects of the low and slow small motor scooter tow system work to make beginning instruction safe.
For somebody who's sustained the kind of brain damage you have...

http://ozreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=25015
Zippy pounds in
Davis Straub - 2011/09/02 18:37:09 UTC

Concussions are in fact very serious and have life long effects. The last time I was knocked out what in 9th grade football. I have felt the effects of that ever since. It changes your wiring.
...I have very little doubt.
So many just will not listen.
Where's Jim Keen-Intellect Rooney...

http://ozreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=24846
Is this a joke ?
Jim Rooney - 2011/08/25 04:55:25 UTC

Ditto dude.

It always amazes to hear know it all pilots arguing with the professional pilots.
I mean seriously, this is our job.
We do more tows in a day than they do in a month (year for most).

We *might* have an idea of how this stuff works.
They *might* do well to listen.
Not that they will, mind you... cuz they *know*.
...when ya really need him.
NMERider - 2016/04/12 16:08:32 UTC

$300/year USHPA membership is just around the corner. Image
For those of us who still have options to fly.
KTMPilot - 2016/04/12 16:19:13 UTC
Lafayette, California

And/or perhaps risk based formulas for membership types:
pilot = $
foot launch instruction = $$
towing instruction = $$$$
I remember when ya just hooked up a one point bridle behind a cosmos trike, foot launched, and figured things out on the way up.
Dave Pendzick - 2016/04/12 16:52:23 UTC

You forgot to add one category

student = $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Nancy - hopefully.
Davis Straub - 2016/04/12 18:58:26 UTC

Low and slow scooter tow instruction certified by Steve Wendt, the USHPA pays him and students go free.
Ryan Voight - 2016/04/12 20:31:10 UTC

The video Wills Wing hired me to make- documenting Steve Wendt's methodology of tried-and-true safe use of low horsepower scooters and lightweight, slow flying training equipment- is freely available on their web site.
http://www.willswing.com/scooter-tow/
1. Tried-and-true safe use of low horsepower scooters and lightweight, slow flying training equipment. So he's pretty good at not busting students up on his Happy Acres putting green. So how does that translate to producing pilots reasonably qualified to handle the real world stuff they encounter after they graduate?

2. Here's the stuff I made freely available on MY website:

AT release
piano_man - 2016/04/01 15:16:53 UTC
Georgia

http://www.flickr.com/photos/aerotowrelease/sets/72057594141352219/
Aerotow Release System

Can anyone tell me how and if this thing works?
Karl Allmendinger - 2016/04/02 03:47:53 UTC

Tad Eareckson or Heath Robinson?
Is it of no value to anyone?
For those unfamiliar with that project- WW management became aware of Steve's methods and saw the great potential it offered to improving safe, successful hang gliding instruction- and bringing availability of this to nearly anywhere in the country, no hill needed!
Very generous of them - considering their gliders are designed for foot launched soaring flight, not to be motorized, tethered, or towed.
I guess you could say growing the sport is profitable for WW...
How would we know? The sport doesn't seem to have been growing much for many a year.
...but being closely involved with this project, I was really impressed with the totally philanthropic motives. Too busy to take time away from WW, they hired me to visit Blue Sky and interview Wendt, and video-document his every move and every bit of equipment used.
How 'bout this:

http://vimeo.com/116997302
Blue Sky Scooter Towing Method
More Details on Equipment:
V-Bridle/Release System

But with the towline we use a standard weak link like we would for aerotow... Uh... This... In this particular case it's 130 greenline, 130 pound test.
bit of equipment used?

- What's its purpose?

- Is that still the standard weak link we use like we would for aerotow?

- How compatible is it with:
NEVER CUT THE POWER...
Reduce Gradually
Increase Gradually
and what you just said about:
Ryan Voight - 2016/04/12 15:19:18 UTC

Technically, it's a high relative nose angle to the horizon, but NOT a high AofA... while on tow... but when the tow force is reduced, disappears, whatever... then it's suddenly a VERY high AofA.
about the issue of instantaneous loss of 250 pounds of thrust with the glider in a climb?
I compiled the many hours of footage onto a DVD...
Was 480 resolution the best you could do?
...more or less unedited, and (I believe in his spare time AFTER work!) Mike Meier reviewed all the footage and assembled a training manual for teaching using scooter towing best practices.
The best, of course, being whatever Steve Exceptionally-Knowledgeable Wendt said - by virtue of his tried-and-true methodology.
Mike realized there was more than enough video content to hire me again, to then edit the footage into a short video that would accompany the manual.

Both the manual and the accompanying video- funded out-of-pocket by Wills Wing- were given away, entirely free and with no expectation of anything whatsoever in return.
You mean like?:

http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=31781
Another hang check lesson
Alan Deikman - 2014/09/23 19:47:06 UTC

For my part I will just refer you to the classic Tad Eareckson essay which I call "the gun is always loaded" which is a bit overworked but probably all you will ever need to read regarding FTHI. A lot of people will find it gores their particular sacred Ox, but I have never seen anyone point out a flaw in his logic.
Knowing the travel time/expenses, and hours I put in and billed them for... and I can only imagine the hours Mike put in... that's a pretty loud statement from a company that generally goes out of their way to avoid stepping on USHPA's toes regarding training and instruction methods, endorsements, certification, yada yada.
No shit. And how many people do you estimate have been snuffed as a consequence?
Whether you TEACH via "scooter tow" (stationary winch)... or you're a student that trains this way... or you might every some day be either of these... or you just want to be more educated on the subject... I urge and beg to please at least watch the video at the link above... and better still is to take a gander at the PDF manual.

EDIT: I just noticed, on WW's new web site their scooter tow page also includes a YouTube snipit of our school and one of our instructors doing a demo tow of how easy and mellow low-and-slow scooter towing can (should) be. I did NOT know my business was featured when I wrote the above urging people toward that page... I feel dirty now :roll:
How do you feel about?:

http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=14230
pro tow set-up
Ryan Voight - 2009/11/03 05:24:31 UTC

It works best in a lockout situation... if you're banked away from the tug and have the bar back by your belly button... let it out. Glider will pitch up, break weaklink, and you fly away.

During a "normal" tow you could always turn away from the tug and push out to break the weaklink... but why would you?

Have you never pondered what you would do in a situation where you CAN'T LET GO to release? I'd purposefully break the weaklink, as described above. Instant hands free release Image
http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=18868
Almost lockout
Ryan Voight - 2010/09/07 02:50:00 UTC

Weak link in truck towing WILL (read: should) still break in a lockout situation... but as everyone has already pointed out, it takes a lot longer because the glider can continue to pull line off the winch.

There is a limit to how fast line can come off the winch though... so the forces still build up, and the weaklink still fails.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

Dave Jacob - 2016/04/13 00:20:55 UTC

Been over the blue sky video. The operation looks great. But I just want to understand what the low and slow advocates are suggesting. Do you want to see an end to the training hill for Hang 0's?
Yeah. They gotta be mutually exclusive. We don't wanna be preparing people to tow and slope launch.
What methods are you suggesting for working towards H2's?
More upright flying and spot landings. No turns under two hundred feet.
Davis Straub - 2016/04/13 00:27:29 UTC

Dave Jacob

As I wrote previously, Steve Wendt takes his students who have learned through the low and slow method out to his training hill to teach them to foot launch.
Since none of them ever foot launch on his scooter tow.
I have also written that when his students are ready he tows them higher than a few feet off the ground.
Whoopee.
He has a number of higher power scooters and ATV's as well as a truck towing system and a Dragonfly.
You aren't permitted to roll your glider beyond sixty degrees but no problem if you wanna fly illegally light weak links and/or decertify your glider by going up pro toad.
Dave Jacob - 2016/04/13 00:54:27 UTC

So what is the principle difference between what MSC is doing by taking H1's on tow and what Blue Sky is doing when they start towing higher. Is it simply the strength of the drive motor, or the time spent low and slow to gain familiarity?
Stephan Mentler - 2016/04/13 02:26:59 UTC
Pensacola

@ Dave,

The primary answer is time spent on instruction and low and slow - Steve trains to standard not time.
Yeah. HIS standard. And his standards are ones that have gotten some of his products mangled and killed. And weeks to get to the point I used to have kids doing on Flight One at the dunes.
I went to Steve as an experienced H2 looking toward getting my H3. I had a great deal of aerotow experience - probably a few hundred tows at that point.
HOW IS IT HUMANLY POSSIBLE TO HAVE *HUNDREDS* OF AEROTOWS AND *NOT* HAVE A FUCKIN' *THREE*?! That's Four range experience and skill. And unless they're all in sled conditions that's the most demanding and dangerous flying you're ever likely to need to do.
I figured it would be simply a matter of hooking me up to the truck and towing me aloft.
But you didn't figure on what a rabidly safe guy Steve Exceptionally-Knowledgeable Wendt is.
I am glad that was not his approach.
Yeah. You'd be DEAD if it had been.
We started low and slow.
Good. You'd have probably been terrified and mentally locked out otherwise.
I did not progress to higher altitudes until I demonstrated mastery of the skills for the level of towing.
1. Including worst case scenario Rooney Link inconvenience recovery and one-handed low level lockout glider control.

2. Why don't you give us a description of some of the skills you're MASTERING as you progress through low and slow foot launched scooter towing in sled conditions? I've towed just about all flavors and in all conditions you wanna name starting in the fall of 1980 with a frame connection and I'm having a hard time remembering anything about SKILLS or getting fucked up for want of them.
Once again, I am very glad that this is Steve's approach.
Yeah. HUNDREDS of the most demanding and inherently dangerous tow flavor in the sport and you weren't qualified to hop on the back of a truck for the most brain dead safe and easy means of getting a glider airborne the sport will ever see.
Despite my experience aerotowing, had he pulled me higher off the bat - which seems to be what occurred with a new H1 - I would likely have been challenged with possible negative outcomes.
1. Yeah...
Zack C - 2011/03/04 05:29:28 UTC

As for platform launching, I was nervous about it when I started doing it. It looked iffy, like things could get bad fast. I've since logged around 100 platform launches and have seen hundreds more. Never once was there any issue. I now feel platform launching is the safest way to get a hang glider into the air (in the widest range of conditions). You get away from the ground very quickly and don't launch until you have plenty of airspeed and excellent control.
You'd have figured out how to fuck up a platform launch. You're hundreds of aerotows at Quallaby would've meant NOTHING and you'd have likely ended up just as dead as that H1-rated pilot at Pat's operation who went through her entire hang gliding career without ever once having controlled a turn or proned out and put her hands on the basetube.

2. I got news for ya, motherfucker... Whenever any one of us leaves the ground on a hang glider by any means in thermal soaring conditions there's a possibility of us being challenged beyond human capability to control the situation at least for...
Bill Bryden - 2000/02

Dennis Pagen informed me several years ago about an aerotow lockout that he experienced. One moment he was correcting a bit of alignment with the tug and the next moment he was nearly upside down. He was stunned at the rapidity. I have heard similar stories from two other aerotow pilots.
...the immediate future. And if Steve's taught you that you can "MASTER" towing "SKILLS" to the point that you won't be "CHALLENGED" by anything Mother Nature can throw at you he's taught you shit that's worse than nothing at all. Your primary thought before any launch into thermal conditions should be, "I can get the shit kicked out of me at some point in the next ten seconds." And if you aren't using equipment to give you the best possible chance of surviving it you have no fuckin' business proceeding into the air - regardless of how many stupid pro toad pin benders have gotten away with it in the past twenty years.

And any equipment Steve is gonna put you up on is total crap - as your statement:
I did not have to actuate a release until later in the instruction...
below proves beyond any shadow of a reasonable doubt.
To me the high AOA associated with surface towing was very different.
1. What do you think it would be like to other people?

2. Yeah. In Blue Sky Scooter Towing high pitch attitude is the same as high angle of attack. Thank you so very much for confirming how fucking clueless Steve is on grade school level aeronautical theory.

http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=18868
Almost lockout
Avolare - 2010/09/03 19:37:11 UTC
North Carolina

The weak link should break with a lockout.
Ryan Voight - 2010/09/07 02:50:00 UTC

Weak link in truck towing WILL (read: should) still break in a lockout situation... but as everyone has already pointed out, it takes a lot longer because the glider can continue to pull line off the winch.

There is a limit to how fast line can come off the winch though... so the forces still build up, and the weaklink still fails.
3. Bull fucking shit. Your PITCH ATTITUDE - minus pilot input - is a function of tension and tow angle. Surface towing angle can AT BEST be zero - as per a low tension scooter tow ground skim. But as you climb above the point at which the other end of the towline is anchored, pulling in, paying out your nose starts trimming down - as Lin clearly demonstrated at...

020-10819
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8665/16052643454_ef408619ca_o.png
029-12406
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8653/16487388718_dbb1ba4e9e_o.png
096-14515
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8629/16673939502_08b58b0ffa_o.png

...Tres Pinos on 2013/06/15. For any given tow tension AT is the absolute HIGHEST a pitch attitude you're ever gonna see once the glider's off the ground significantly. You think you're pitched up more on surface 'cause on surface your eyes are fixed down on the pulley, winch, truck - while in aero you're looking straight ahead level.

AT:

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2921/14063160172_f812c28b03_o.png

Similar pitch attitude under typically much lower tension.

(Yes, on the last frame of Lin's tow the basetube's getting pulled back on ('cause Pat saves his state-of-the-art equipment for his students while accepting a Koch two-stage chest crusher for his personal use) but recall that the winch was freewheeled immediately after the release jam was detected. So we're seeing about the same thing we would with the line routed under.)
After several lessons (each lesson comprising a few hours of instruction), I was put on the truck and knew exactly what to do and what to expect. It made for a very enjoyable and stress free flight.
Which no fuckin' way you'd have had if Steve had just thrown you on the back of the truck - the way it was done with ALL of us before the commercial operations figured out we needed a thousand bucks worth of scooter tow instruction to fix all the problems nobody ever had before.
I actually have my first truck tow on video. I will try to post it on youtube in the next couple of days - you will see that Steve is a very thorough instructor.
1. Kinda the way Jehovah's Witnesses are about explaining why evolution is a load o' crap.

2 Find me some truck tow videos that DON'T show what very thorough instructors the towees had. You've gotta try REALLY HARD to fuck up a truck tow.

- John Woiwode figured out one way - move back to straight behind the truck in a crosswind with an easily reachable release available to abort the tow.

- Bob Buxton had another similarly effective strategy.

-- Use an easily reachable release.

02-02929
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7332/14023101014_e8a522f404_o.png

-- Route the towline/bridle OVER the basetube.

11-04221
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3806/13745948525_5582fa1a40_o.png
13-04308
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3799/13746342624_c9b015f814_o.png
19-04610
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2809/13746340634_a74b33d285_o.png

-- Have your observer carefully monitor the tension gauge to make sure nothing's going wrong with the glider.

27-04925
http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5116/13999518006_d4c7488e6e_o.png
83-05127
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7606/16656417750_82e4a661c2_o.png
With regard to equipment, I believe Steve uses purpose built equipment for the task at hand - i.e. low and slow has you on a low and slow scooter.
You BELIEVE that? You had this really in-depth training experience and you're really not all that sure about the equipment involved? Equipment which included a spinnaker shackle, bicycle brake lever, bent parachute pin, and precision fishing line?
My only job was to fly the glider.
With both hands on the control tubes at all times.
I did not have to actuate a release until later in the instruction...
Since in Blue Sky Aerotowing releasing oneself from tow isn't considered to be an element of flying the glider. Kinda like a driving instructor who doesn't teach anything about taking your foot off the gas and pushing down on the brake pedal until the day before graduation.
...even then, as I remember it, his design was such that if I failed to release by a certain point, power was stopped and I glided safely to the ground (i.e. the return pulley is far enough in front of the release-by-point, that there is sufficient slack to make a safe decent...
To make a safe decent what?
...if you don't release off of a higher scooter tow).
EXCELLENT training, preparation for the real world. If nothing ever goes wrong down low you'll be fine.
What a total fucking dickhead that guy is.