General discussion about the sport of hang gliding
Tad Eareckson

Re: 2015/03/27 Jean Lake crash

Post by Tad Eareckson »

http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=32681
Tandem crash in LV (speculation thread)
SkyPoke - 2015/04/01 03:17:47 UTC
NE USA

I think the USHPA should just get out of the hang gliding and paragliding business - that way they'll have no reason to worry about being sued over a potentially avoidable accident. Let's change into the US Hodge Podge Association. Sell insurance and ratings under the table! What a concept!

Mr. Forbes,

I wonder, when a litigant's lawyer quotes anonymous gibberish posted on some forum web site is the USHPA's lawyer capable of refuting/debunking that type of unfounded - based on what facts - comment? Has the USHPA's lawyer ever won a lawsuit made against the association? If he has, has he asked the court to have the complaining (losing) party pay USHPA's legal bills? If not, he's not much of a lawyer.

Might also help if ALL HG/PG forums went private. Not a member (with a valid USHPA #) and you can't see the threads and posts (like over in Oz).
Ooh! :)
2015/04/01 10:49:28 UTC - Sink This! -- Jim Rowan
Mark G. Forbes - 2015/04/01 03:46:29 UTC

Yes, such comments can be refuted.
Almost as easily as the totally valid ones - which are Tim's specialty.
All I'm asking is that folks be sensitive to the fact that what you say here is in public, and it can be taken and used in ways that you do not expect.
Can it be taken and used in ways that I'm constantly praying for?
We have been generally successful at containing risk and fighting lawsuits.
Using the tobacco industry's tactics as models.
It costs money and effort, and we try hard not to have things happen which result in lawsuits in the first place.
Like you're doing now - trying to get productive discussions suppressed.
That's why we have a waiver, for example. It's a contract that says you won't sue USHPA, other pilots, landowners, government agencies and so on.
So much cheaper and easier than implementing and enforcing solid SOPs comparable to what people have in REAL aviation.
Despite that waiver, sometimes people file lawsuits anyway. Sometimes we get sued for things that are only vaguely related to us.
And obviously you've never gotten sued for any totally legitimate reasons because u$hPa's record in safety and integrity has always been miles above any hint of justifiable reproach.
All of these require legal defense, and failing to defend even a ridiculous claim is likely to result in a default judgment against us. All of that defense costs money and time, and we try not to incur more of it if we can avoid it.
We spare no measure in our never-ending battle to shield ourselves from liability - short, of course, of...

http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=27736
Increase in our USHpA dues
Mark G. Forbes - 2012/12/20 06:21:33 UTC

We're re-working the accident reporting system, but again it's a matter of getting the reports submitted and having a volunteer willing to do the detail work necessary to get them posted. There are also numerous legal issues associated with accident reports, which we're still wrestling with. It's a trade-off between informing our members so they can avoid those kinds of accidents in the future, and exposing ourselves to even more lawsuits by giving plaintiff's attorneys more ammunition to shoot at us.

Imagine a report that concludes, "If we'd had a procedure "x" in place, then it would have probably prevented this accident. And we're going to put that procedure in place at the next BOD meeting." Good info, and what we want to be able to convey. But what comes out at trial is, "Ladies and Gentlemen of the Jury, my client suffered injury because USHPA knew or should have known that a safety procedure was not in place, and was therefore negligent and at fault." We're constantly walking this line between full disclosure and handing out nooses at the hangmen's convention.
...ever doing anything to provide a safe product.
In the USA, the rule is that each party pays their own expenses. This is in contrast to Europe, where it's usually "loser pays" for both sides. That's partly why we have the legal system you see today. It is extraordinarily unlikely that a prevailing defendant can recover legal fees or costs from a plaintiff. To have that occur, you have to be able to prove that the case was absolutely without any merit, and the plaintiff and their attorneys knew that from the start.
You mean like the situation you have going now with your laughably bogus expulsion action against Bob Kuczewski?
Even then, you're unlikely to get much of anything, and you may spend a small fortune trying to recover costs. Again, our waiver says that if you do sue in violation of the agreement, we can recover costs. In practice, that's very difficult to achieve.
Good.
If we were not generally successful in having lawsuits dismissed early, before they get really expensive, we wouldn't be here talking about USHPA at all. What we hope is that our insurance will be used for its intended purpose, the compensation of third-parties who are genuinely damaged by the actions of our members.
Among ourselves, we agree (via the waiver) that we understand we're engaged in a risky sport that can cause serious injury or death.
You pieces o' shit have it OPTIMIZED to cause serious injury or death. The focal point of your safe towing system has for over a third of a century been the exact equivalent of a dangerously frayed towline and you use a strategy to protect against unhooked launches which increases their frequency at least tenfold over doing nothing at all.
We each agree that we are personally and individually responsible for our own safety.
That sure lets ratings officials, instructors, tow drivers, ride factories nicely off the hook...
Manned Kiting
The Basic Handbook of Tow Launched Hang Gliding
Daniel F. Poynter

"A bad flyer won't hurt a pin man but a bad pin man can kill a flyer." - Bill Bennett
...don't it, Mark?
If we have an accident and get hurt, we agree in advance that it is solely our own fault, no matter what the circumstances might be.
Yeah...

http://www.chgpa.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2467
weak links
Jim Rooney - 2007/08/01 13:47:23 UTC

Whatever's going on back there, I can fix it by giving you the rope.
We know EXACTLY how you motherfuckers have this deck stacked.
We sign at the bottom saying that we fully understand these things, that we accept them, and that we know we are giving up the right to sue anybody if an accident happens.
Yeah muppets. If Jim Keen-Intellect Rooney's tow mast breakaway protector dumps you into a stall and leaves you quaded you're shit outta luck - regardless of the fact that Jim Keen-Intellect Rooney was knowingly and flagrantly violating FAA aerotowing regulations with his front end crap.
Those are fundamental tenets of our sport. We are all individually responsible for ourselves and our safety.
And that's total fucking bullshit in ANY instructional issue and/or towing operation.
We need to see and avoid all other pilots, avoid crashing into people or property and use good judgment when flying.
I did. My only responsible option was to not fly.
If someone doesn't agree with those principles, then they don't need to be involved in our sport.
OUR sport? You motherfuckers run an off-the-scale corrupt and evil monopoly from sea to shining sea controlling hang gliding and have the fucking gall to refer to hang gliding as OUR - read YOUR - sport? Rot in hell, Mark.

MY sport doesn't have scum like Tim Herr, Rich Haas, you, Davis, Jim Keen-Intellect Rooney within fifteen thousand miles of it - and that don't leave a whole lotta surface area on this planet.

I think you pieces o' shit are in serious trouble now. You invaded Russia with this expulsion action against Bob and at the worst (best) possible time you kill this cute li'l eleven year old kid. And the membership ain't real thrilled with the way things are going. And you know you're in serious trouble or you wouldn't have oozed out from under your rock to beg everyone to help shore up the Wall of Silence.

I'm really glad I'm not you guys right now having this shit blow up in my face. I'm ten times more optimistic now than I've ever been since I finally figured out what's been going on.
2015/04/01 10:47:49 UTC - 3 thumbs up - Jim Rowan
Big fuckin' surprise.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

Dave Gills - 2015/04/01 13:09:33 UTC

Re: Please, no speculation
Mark G. Forbes - 2015/03/30 23:29:59 UTC

We have a very experienced tow administrator (Mitch Shipley) headed to Las Vegas to do an accident investigation, and when we learn what really happened we'll convey that information to our members. He'll be working with two of the local instructors there to get to the truth.
Yeah right....More like fighting over who gets to eat the video card.
Ex fuckin' ZACTLY.
Jason Boehm - 2015/04/01 13:16:11 UTC

is this thread accomplishing anything?
Yeah motherfucker. The beginning of the end of u$hPa and the world's greatest threat to the sport of hang gliding.

Keep kicking these sonsabitches until about half an hour after you're absolutely positive they're dead. We got 'em where we want 'em now and we can't afford to fuck up this opportunity. Simultaneous Bob Kuczewski and Arys Moorhead. Perfect Storm.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

Dave Brose - 2015/04/01 14:03:30 UTC

I've checked every sport that has a forum, has an incident/accident/death section.
everybody can say whatever on those forums, and they do, we are no different. It's human nature to ah well talk...
It's pilot nature - and duty - to constantly speculate on what:
- could happen
- will likely or definitely happen
- did happen
- could be or have been done to make things happen differently
- motivations the individuals around him might have for trying to fuck him over

Anybody in this game who isn't constantly speculating is a total fucking moron and detriment to the gene pool.
so please guys don't be human.
And please don't be pilots because US hang gliding isn't a pilot based culture. It's a corporation based culture and totally hostile to actual pilots.
Comet - 2015/04/01 17:26:12 UTC

I think what DG is implying is: Can an association with an express vested interest (avoiding litigation) be trusted to perform and release an unbiased accident review?
We know from DECADES of ugly experience EXACTLY what these motherfuckers can be trusted to do.

- If they WEREN'T motherfuckers they wouldn't be oozing out from under their rocks begging uppity hang glider pilots not to speculate on why a highly qualified skydiving instructor died with his eleven year old student on a routine jump in a massively benign environment in totally benign meteorological conditions.

- If they were top notch pilots they'd be constantly involved in leading speculation and getting problems fixed to keep shit from happening again - and they'd be able to go into court with their heads held high and testify with the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth that they'd done everything within their power to make the sport as safe as possible and the reason this happened was because the skydiving instructor suffered a seizure that no one could've predicted.

- If they weren't the motherfuckers they are they'd never hafta go into court at all for bullshit like this 'cause the skydiving instructor would've had a mass produced release that would've cost more than his helmet that could've been used to blow him off tow in the event he hit some nasty air or his driver did something stupid.

Human nature, by the way, is something that evolved over the course of hundreds of millions of years to minimize our chances of being eaten by leopards. It's something that it's NOT a great idea to suppress at the bidding of some corporate motherfucker who doesn't give a rat's ass whether or not you get eaten by a leopard or...

...whatever other kind of cat you might happen to have in your neighborhood.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

http://ozreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=41697
Two Dead on Hang Glider
Joe Faust - 2015/03/29 22:12:21 UTC

Have an observer.
Why? So:
- there's:
-- an extra point at which there's a possibility of towline failure?
-- compensation for an incompetent pilot, driver, or combination of the two"
- the:
-- driver doesn't hafta be able to see what's going on with the glider?
-- pilot has someone else available to second-guess and override his decisions?

Part of my preflight procedure is to check for observers and shoot any I find within a quarter mile of my tow vehicle - once through the heart and once through the back of the head to make sure.
Edit - 2015/04/01 16:03:01 UTC

- Pilot is to have two or more ways to release.
Why? Does:
- a sailplane pilot have two or more ways to release?
- he have two or more:
-- ways to connect the port end of the basetube and bottom end of the port downtube?
-- opportunities to:
--- do a hook-in check?
--- land?
The ways are to respect contingencies.
Fer sure. I just always assume that I won't have the opportunity to exploit any.

Here's Davis Dead-On Straub:

http://ozreport.com/pub/images/fingerlakesaccident2.jpg
http://ozreport.com/pub/images/fingerlakesaccident3.jpg

- main release within easy reach velcroed to his starboard downtube
- backup release within easy reach coming off his right shoulder
- hook knife sheathed within easy reach on his harness
- Infallible Weak Link at the top end of his bridle

None of these highly respected contingencies do him any good. Maybe we should be thinking a lot more about QUALITY and a lot less about QUANTITY.
Jonathan Boarini - 2015/03/30 20:20:09 UTC
The driver in the truck thought the tether had been released.
I think we can reasonably make a few guesses:
No we can't. u$hPa has asked us not to speculate. Wanna end up like Bob Kuczewski?
1. There was no observer
In aerotowing...

01-23225
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2932/14086319383_9a2df32839_o.png

...the:
- glider's on a fixed short length (250 foot) towline
- tension during takeoff and initial climbout is pretty much fixed in accordance with the tug's safe takeoff speed
- drivers:
-- tend to be total incompetent morons with their heads permanently way the fuck their asses
-- are pretty occupied with getting their own planes safely airborne through the most dangerous period of the tow
- glider's "releases" tend to be total crap
- rate of non Davis Link related launch incidents microscopic and virtually always the result of:
-- glider pilot incompetence
-- launching in known marginal conditions - which is another way of saying tug and glider pilot incompetence

So how come when there IS a major aerotow launch disaster we never seem to hear loads of postmortem discussion crap about the absence of an observer - just hear loads of postmortem discussion crap about a glider pilot who thought he could fix a bad thing and don't wanna start over? How come there hasn't been one single syllable uttered about Arys' skydiving instructor maybe thinking he could fix a bad thing and not wanting to start over?
2. The driver was oblivious to what was going on in the glider
How 'bout the skydiving instructor? Wouldn't he also hafta be oblivious to what was going on in the glider with a lot less excuse and a lot more ability to fix what was going on back there?
3. The driver did not know anything towing
So what if he didn't? Mark G. Forbes has just told us:

Mark G. Forbes - 2015/04/01 03:46:29 UTC

Among ourselves, we agree (via the waiver) that we understand we're engaged in a risky sport that can cause serious injury or death. We each agree that we are personally and individually responsible for our own safety. If we have an accident and get hurt, we agree in advance that it is solely our own fault, no matter what the circumstances might be. We sign at the bottom saying that we fully understand these things, that we accept them, and that we know we are giving up the right to sue anybody if an accident happens.

Those are fundamental tenets of our sport. We are all individually responsible for ourselves and our safety. We need to see and avoid all other pilots, avoid crashing into people or property and use good judgment when flying. If someone doesn't agree with those principles, then they don't need to be involved in our sport.
So what possible bearing could a guy controlling the power, vector, stability of our thrust on takeoff have on the safety of a hang glider flight? Beg to differ? Go fuck yourself. You don't need to be involved in OUR sport - asshole.
The question I want to know is: who was driving?
Well...

http://www.reviewjournal.com/news/nevada/hang-gliding-instructor-had-no-permit-fatal-crash-blm-says
Hang gliding instructor had no permit in fatal crash, BLM says | Las Vegas Review-Journal
2015/03/31 23:22 UTC - posted
2015/04/01 00:31 UTC - updated

Ricardo Torres

The police investigation was still active Tuesday, Metro spokeswoman officer Laura Meltzer said. The pickup driver has not been charged.
Looks like the guy at the other end of the tether is off the hook - so we should be getting that info any at any moment. I'm gonna start holding my breath now. How 'bout you?
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

I think what DG is implying is: Can an association with an express vested interest (avoiding litigation) be trusted to perform and release an unbiased accident review?
Dave Pendzick - 2015/04/01 18:40:25 UTC

Good point, I guess this is why we have government agencies perform accident investigations instead of leaving it up to airplane manufacturers or associations such as EAA or AOPA. This is an interesting scenario in the fact that the craft was apparently still teathered to the truck.
It wasn't TEATHERED to the truck. It wasn't even TETHERED. It was being TOWED by the truck using a payout winch and a TOWline.
Can it even be called an aircraft it that is the case?
- That's NOT the case.
- The FAA doesn't call it an airCRAFT regardless of how it's getting into or staying in the air. They call it an air VEHICLE.
- But it's a goddam aircraft - off surface or aero tow or on. Same as a goddam sailplane.
I dont think the FAA will want anything to do with this...
The useless fucking FAA doesn't want ANYTHING to do with ANYTHING we do - regardless of how many people of varying ages we kill.
...& probably will defer the investigation...
Cover-up.
...to USHPA as they often do with skydiving accidents & USPA.
This WAS a skydiving accident. Didn't you listen to the interview with the surviving skydiving students?
The kicker with this one is that it involved a student.
He was a student of Mesa Verde Elementary School.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7644/16353971834_15d6781e0c_o.png

I'm pretty sure he didn't get more than half of the ten seconds worth of instruction he needed to qualify as a hang gliding student.
I suspect they will at least want to review the truck towing procedures contained in USHPA publications, if such a thing exists.
The excellent book, Towing Aloft, by Dennis Pagen and Bill Bryden and HANG GLIDING FOR BEGINNER PILOTS By Peter Cheney, Published by Matt Taber, Official Flight Training Manual of the U. S. Hang Gliding Association
If it doesnt, it will soon!
Mandatory parachutes in the setup area any time one is hooked into a glider at a tow operation setup area and three or more observers armed with five or more machetes at all times a truck is moving with a glider on the platform.
Dave Gills - 2015/04/01 23:59:45 UTC

Can an association with an express vested interest (avoiding litigation) be trusted to perform and release an unbiased accident review?
Thanks Comet for putting it into unsarcastic text.

An observation...
Is tandem helping or hurting this sport?
It's fuckin' destroyed the sport. I hate it with a passion.
It seems the most high profile incidents involve "joy rides" and not instruction as originally intended.
It was never intended as instruction. We got the FAA exemption on the pretense that tandem would be used to enhance or implement safe training.
Should a person have an H1 before qualifying for a tandem ride to further their training?
I never had the slightest need or desire to further my training with tandem. My first flight on a hang glider was a short dune hop and it was one of the coolest feelings of my life. I'd soloed an aircraft. I was the fucking Pilot In Command of that aircraft for the few seconds the flight lasted.
Dave Pendzick - 2015/04/01 18:40:25 UTC

I dont think the FAA will want anything to do with this & probably will defer the investigation to USHPA as they often do with skydiving accidents & USPA.
Have you ever read a USPA incident report?
They should be a role model for the USHPA.
Why is it they can do it but we "lawyer up".
Because people started jumping parachutes on 1797/10/22, you can only run up a track record of one jump using cheap shoddy equipment, and parachute equipment and procedures have evolved through wars in which frauds, fuckups, cowards like Jim Keen-Intellect Rooney, Davis Dead-On Straub, Mark G. Forbes, Rich Hass, their lawyer get quickly and efficiently removed from the gene pool one way or another - the farm, firing squad, fragging. (Being a big fan of redundancy myself...)

Hang gliding didn't come around until about seventeen decades later / five decades ago and for the bulk of its history has been controlled by egomaniacal stupid jocks, scam artists, snake oil salesmen, religious nut jobs, professional ass coverers. And it's the intelligent, competent, selfless, innovator types who end up getting fragged and stood up against walls.
Jonathan Boarini - 2015/04/02 00:26:43 UTC

http://www.reviewjournal.com/news/nevada/hang-gliding-instructor-had-no-permit-fatal-crash-blm-says
Hang gliding instructor had no permit in fatal crash, BLM says | Las Vegas Review-Journal
The Federal Aviation Administration initially assisted but its role was limited since the aircraft was not motorized or registered with the agency.
Just flying under an FAA tandem exemption - to facilitate skydiving instructors in their efforts to safely introduce into and advance their students through the wonderful world of sport aviation. Fuck those guys.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

Two Dead on Hang Glider
Steve Davy - 2015/04/01 06:56:45 UTC

1. Who do you expect to do something about "this lackadaisical attitude, when Towing"?
Jim Keen-Intellect Rooney and Davis Dead-On Straub. Both tireless hang gliding safety activists.
2. Do you think that it is unreasonable that a hang five tandem instructor should be able to RELEASE himself and his victim from the "tether" when needed?
Yes. A release is a mechanical thing and all mechanical things fail. Just use an observer to fix whatever's going on back there by giving you the rope and a safer weak link - none of these Tad-O-Links that everyone's suddenly decided they're happy with.
Steve Corbin - 2015/04/01 14:05:11 UTC

I think Bille was referring to that big killer monster living wherever aviation takes place.
Complacency.
And mistakes. If we could just get people to stop being complacent and making mistakes we could eliminate crashes for all time. If only we had more people like Bille working to set us on the right path.
Brian Scharp - 2015/04/01 15:27:56 UTC

The acceptance of the suggestion that a spotter is the first remedy/solution for a pilot not releasing is the definition of complacency.
Definition of a few other things that come to mind as well.
Steve Corbin - 2015/04/01 20:13:40 UTC

Well now, I wouldn't go so far as to suggest that a spotter is "the first remedy/solution".
I'd go so far as to say it's not even "the LAST remedy/solution". Whenever I throw a pulley into a release system to increase mechanical advantage I hear thousands of total douchebags screaming about my "Rube Goldberg devices" and to "Keep It Simple Stupid" but no problem whatsoever throwing a monkey with a machete onto the back of the truck to compensate for a Kept It Simple Stupid Industry Standard "release" that nobody can even conceive of being of the slightest use as a release when it's actually needed to be used as a release.
I will go so far as to say that an educated observer, equipped with an adequate device for severing the tow line, would be a step in the right direction.
I will go so far as to say that an educated observer, equipped with an adequate device for severing the towline, would understand that an educated observer, equipped with an adequate device for severing the towline, is only gonna INCREASE the probability of a crash. The way an educated surgeon, equipped with an adequate scalpel, understands that he's not gonna be of much use to an Ebola patient. The way someone who understands the unhooked launch issue...

http://www.chgpa.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1153
Hooking In
Steve Kinsley - 2005/10/02 02:45:48 UTC

When Bob Gillisse got hurt I suggested that our local institution of the hang check is more the problem than the solution. I still believe that. It subverts the pilot's responsibility to perform a hook-in check. I often do not see pilots doing a hook-in check. Why should they? They just did a hang check and they are surrounded by friends who will make sure this box is checked.

DO A HOOK IN CHECK. You need a system that you do every time regardless of how many hang checks you have been subjected to that assures you are hooked in.
http://www.chgpa.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1167
The way it outa be
Steve Kinsley - 2005/10/04 14:04:25 UTC

One last attempt.

We have now rounded up all the usual suspects and promised renewed vigilance, nine page checklists, hang checks every six feet, etc. Bob Gillisse redux.

A hang check is part of preflighting your equipment. You do it in the setup area - not on the launch or the ramp. When you get in line you are hooked in and ready to go. No going down for a hang check cum hook-in check.
http://ozreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=25550
Failure to hook in.
Christian Williams - 2011/10/25 03:59:58 UTC

What's more, I believe that all hooked-in checks prior to the last one before takeoff are a waste of time, not to say dangerous, because they build a sense of security which should not be built more than one instant before commitment to flight.
...understands that idiot fucking hang checkers with their idiot fucking hang checks do NOTHING but INCREASE the probability of an unhooked launch.
Brian Scharp - 2015/04/02 02:14:28 UTC

First I'm interested in why no release occurred on the pilot end.
Because shit was going wrong. Releases are only useful when everything's going right. Everybody knows this - asshole.
Bille Floyd - 2015/04/02 02:53:39 UTC

It Probably Never occurred to Ya ; that something ,((Might)) have "Gone-Wrong" on the pilot's end ?
Wow! By all undisputed accounts something was going wrong at the bottom end of the towline and at that EXACT SAME INSTANT something went wrong on the top end of the towline. What a coincidence! Dude, like, what are the odds! Just wasn't anybody's day.
I mean ; the pilot was , Very GOOD at what he did !
Yeah, past tense. I just love hearing about pilots who WERE Very GOOD at what they DID.

What he was Very GOOD at was making the easy reach to his Industry Standard release in the course of the absolute safest way...
Zack C - 2011/03/04 05:29:28 UTC

As for platform launching, I was nervous about it when I started doing it. It looked iffy, like things could get bad fast. I've since logged around a hundred platform launches and have seen hundreds more. Never once was there any issue. I now feel platform launching is the safest way to get a hang glider into the air (in the widest range of conditions). You get away from the ground very quickly and don't launch until you have plenty of airspeed and excellent control.
...to get a glider in the air whenever everything was going right. And the ONE TIME ONE THING went wrong he TOTALLY SUCKED at what he DID - and he got himself and his student of an extremely varying age killed pretty much instantly. And ultimately he totally sucked at his job - and this is what he's gonna be remembered for a million times over anything he did in his entire life. Just ask Jon Orders...

...if you don't believe me.
YES ---- Absolutely ---- an observer, with a way to cut the line , after seeing that things went South on the pilots end ;
Oh, was there a PILOT somewhere back there on that end of the towline?

KSNV-CNN-1-1916
http://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5788/23461251751_e98b9c7500_o.png

Didn't seem to do much good, did it?
there is a very good chance the 12-year old and his instructor could actually be Living right now (.)
- He was an ELEVEN year old - and always will be, asshole.

- His INSTRUCTOR? What exactly do you think he was INSTRUCTING? How well did the LESSON go? Think the person of the varying age will retain the lessons he learned for a while? Anybody else in the class?
Anything else ?
Lots. But I'm running a bit low on contempt right now.
GOD i Hate ; talking to Idiots !!! :( ----------------------------------------------------Yea You Brian !!
Hey Bille...

http://ozreport.com/forum/files/having_a_bad_day_178.jpg

Notice you're missing your spleen?

http://ozreport.com/forum/files/copy_2_of_imgp1239_197.jpg
http://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7220/13949046702_ccfa0fafab_o.png
http://www.thekiteboarder.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/opener-532x800.jpg

Notice you're missing the lower ends of BOTH of your legs?

YOU don't EVER get to call ANYONE an IDIOT again. You lost that privilege - if you ever had it before - on 2007/10/18 at probably that same lakebed.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

Two Dead on Hang Glider
Brian Scharp - 2015/04/02 03:33:59 UTC

I'm still interested in what that problem may have been.
Problems. Driver screwed up and the release was within easy reach.
Knowing that may also help prevent future accidents.
What does any of this hafta do with accidents?
Bill Cummings - 2015/04/02 03:44:36 UTC

Bille, Have you a special pass to say you hate Idiots on the OZ report ----------------------------and then connect that to Brian?
Yes.
This could be a BOHICA moment for you when Davis or Scare see this.
- You don't think Davis has seen this already?
- What does Gerry have to do with ANYTHING?
Greendog - 2015/04/02 03:52:24 UTC
Queensland

Did the pilot and the tow vehicle have radio contact?
- What "PILOT"?
- The glider's locking out. Is that a good time to chat on the phone? Wouldn't RELEASING - assuming you have that capability - be a better plan?
Martin Henry - 2015/04/02 05:15:59 UTC
Oh good, a word from the Canadian Industry Standards Expert.
Bill, I think what your really saying is you hate "talking" to anybody that does not take your posts as the word of "God" ?
http://ozreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=24846
Is this a joke ?
Jim Rooney - 2011/08/26 07:51:12 UTC

Ok, here's something to chew on, while we're on the topic.
It's not going to taste nice, but it's the god's honest truth.
I know you mean well...
How? What was the tipoff? I've looked but I can't find anything.
...but please take a deep breath and let the dust settle.
Please take a REALLY deep breath if you're gonna wait for the dust to settle on this one.
WE DO NOT KNOW what happened...
I got enough to work with pretty well.
...(tho, I'm sure those close to this tragedy have a much greater insight...
Fer sure. That Vegas hang gliding crowd is a virtual hotbed of much greater insights into tragedies.
...and over time, a detailed accident investigation will reveal the cause).
BULL FUCKING SHIT. The ONLY things that happens "OVER TIME" are cover-up, obfuscation, spin. The more "over time" the more total bullshit we're gonna get.
Having performed several investigations into fatalities in our sport...
http://www.lfpress.com/news/canada/2012/08/23/20131206.html
B.C. hang-glider's death 'preventable' | The London Free Press
Michael Mui - 2012/08/23 05:37:08 UTC
QMI Agency

Vancouver - An investigation into the hang-gliding death of Lenami Godinez-Avila has found a "hang check" was not performed prior to takeoff and the fatality was preventable.

Investigator Martin Henry said instructor William Orders, charged with obstruction of justice in the April 28 flight after a memory card detailing the accident was swallowed, was possibly "distracted."
Quality stuff there, Martin.
- A "hang check" was not performed prior to takeoff.
- The "INSTRUCTOR" was possibly "distracted".
- The fatality was preventable.

Kinda quality one only gets with a good Industry Standards Expert and about four months of intensive professional investigation. Keep up the great work for OUR sport.
I have come to believe that there is no "single" cause to any of these terrible deaths.
Oh, you've COME TO BELIEVE that? That virtually never does one get killed in a glider wreck - or car crash - because of ONE fuckup. That's pretty groundbreaking stuff you came up with. I'd have never guessed from any previous fatality report I've ever read.

Hey Martin... Ya ever do NON fatal stuff?

2-112
http://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7600/28811055456_925c8abb66_o.png

This was a less serious failure...

4-220
http://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8673/28811054116_21b87e3a38_o.png
6-311
http://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8691/28811052626_37e54c1f64_o.png

...'cause it was a solo training hop at Barker Dam rather than a tandem thrill ride at Mount Woodside and nothing bad happened to the guy or the glider? Does an incident need to be fatal to be worth looking into and identifying issues?
You have no proof that a "spotter" would have helped or hindered the outcome.
I don't give a flying fuck if it would've one hundred percent certainly turned this into a nonevent. Just reinforces a shitty approach to aviation. Let's ya get away with a shoddy dangerous patch instead of doing things right. TOTALLY analogous to a Davis Link. Goddam thing will crash 999 gliders out of a thousand and kills someone every now and then but if it breaks JUST ONCE when it's SUPPOSED TO...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/meaneyman/35642942/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/meaneyman/35642828//
http://www.flickr.com/photos/meaneyman/35642837//
http://www.flickr.com/photos/meaneyman/35642853//
http://www.flickr.com/photos/meaneyman/35642875//
http://www.flickr.com/photos/meaneyman/35642889//

...and keeps some incompetent dope on a rope from piling in it's hailed by one and all as the greatest boon to aviation safety since the ejection seat.
Having a spotter does not solve the "human factor"... humans make mistakes.
So obviously you should CHOOSE to make one of them - a "release" you know will be totally useless in any emergency situation - before you go up and thus increase the likelihood that you've filled your quota for the flight - quite possibly for the whole freakin' weekend.
I have no doubt, a proper investigation will discover a series of "multiple" events culminated in the death of the pilot and passenger.
C'mon Martin... How are we ever gonna have a PROPER investigation on this one with you on the other side of the border?
Regarding the topic of the "spotter" I would like to point out some of our most popular forms of towing do not use a "spotter". Aero-tow Tug pilots have no spotters, they rely on mirrors and towline feedback to monitor the towed pilots status.
Aero-tow Tug pilots don't NEED spotters. They can fix whatever's going on back there by giving us the rope and they make sure we use Rooney Links which - if we fail to maintain the correct tow position (centered, with the wheels of the tug on the horizon) - will break before we can get into too much trouble. A spotter would just be overkill.
Would you suggest we have a "spotter" sitting backward in the tug with a hair-trigger looking for any sign of trouble?
Like the trouble Zack Marzec was in? Mark was watching him in the mirror and saw a sign of trouble. I wonder why he didn't think to release him? Well, with a standard aerotow weak link on Zack's pro toad bridle Mark was probably pretty confident that...

http://ozreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=30971
Zach Marzec
Mark Frutiger - 2013/02/08 19:12:21 UTC

Zack hit the lift a few seconds after I did. He was high and to the right of the tug and was out of my mirror when the weak ling broke. The load on the tug was not excessive as with a lockout, but I was not surprised when the weak link broke.
...it was gonna increase the safety of the towing operation in a second or two anyway.
In another example, recently there was a posting of a video where a pilot on a single surface is being towed by a stationary winch.
2013/06/15. That's not all that fucking recently.
The operator looks straight at the entire tow... yet for reasons unknown fails to see that the towed pilot who had reached the top of the tow was unable to release does nothing to help the desperate pilot (or at least do something to buy the pilot time to solve his release problem).
You're totally full o' shit, Henry. Try reading the goddam report before you shoot your mouth off.
Instead the pilot, under tow line tension...
Yeah, he was under towline tension...

109-15221
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8615/16487544910_41f57852ac_o.png

But the fuckin' winch had been freewheeled.
...passes vertical and is saved by a parachute deployment.
Saves himself with a parachute deployment...

156-20623
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8678/16487365818_607ced92a0_o.png

That thing didn't just happen to come out of the container by itself with a couple seconds to spare.
What about the human factor (like the winch story above)? Your "spotter" serves endless hours, standing guard, waiting at the ready to slice a towline to save the day... day after day of safe tows...
Working for free of course.
...and then falls asleep at the switch? (the human factor).
So assuming that an observer is actually a GOOD thing we probably shouldn't use one because he MIGHT be asleep when needed. Reminds me of the Aussie Methodist standard bullshit that you shouldn't ever do hook-in checks because you might forget to do one when you're not hooked in.
On my own tow rig and system I do not use a spotter. I do not want to introduce a third "human factor" into the system.
With ya there. If getting a hang glider in the air on a string is something that can't be done safely by two pilots I don't wanna do it.
I try to maintain a qualified operator at the winch end.
But if it's a busy weekend you'll settle for whatever asshole you can get.
If the operator lacks experience, then the pilot needs to be skilled and knowledgeable enough to compensate that lack of operator skills.
Yeah, and a skilled and knowledgeable enough pilot can ALWAYS compensate for ANYTHING that can happen upwind of him.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-bRrpHNa68iY/UQ6Pv9gRZyI/AAAAAAAAjTg/Hc22bx5122Q/s2048/20943781_BG1.jpg
I have carefully evolved my procedures to reduce risk.
Bet you've carefully evolved your procedures to reduce risk in manners that nobody else has ever thought of before in hang gliding and sailplaning.
The payout winch on my system incorporates auto tension and has a free wheel emergency option with ultimately a hook knife at the ready (but do not have a guillotine system).
Course not. We certainly wouldn't wanna go nuts with this careful evolution of risk reduction procedures thing. When you really need to cut a towline ultimately a hook knife at the ready is almost always good enough. I've got a very long and totally perfect track record with the one I fly with.
My vehicle is mounted with multiple observation mirrors and we use those mirror to monitor status of the tow (combined with winch behavior)...
And if the winch behaves badly enough you ultimately always have a hook knife at the ready. Actually much better than a guillotine 'cause...

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/skysailingtowing/message/8068
Towline Guillotine
Stuart Caruk - 2012/01/22 02:00:53 UTC

Great, now how about a picture of the same system after sitting cocked for a couple years in a salty, sandy environment... Everything works great in the lab in static conditions. The real world tends to be harsher though...

Springs stretch, metal rusts in place, etc.
...you might have left it out sitting cocked for a couple of years in a salty sandy environment and the springs might be stretched and the metal might be rusted.
Much like an aero-tow pilot monitors the status of his client at the end of the tow line.
He's not his client...

http://www.chgpa.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3600
Weak link question
Jim Rooney - 2008/11/24 05:18:15 UTC

Well, I'm assuming there was some guff about the tug pilot's right of refusal?
Gee, didn't think we'd have to delve into "pilot in command"... I figured that one's pretty well understood in a flying community.

It's quite simple.
The tug is a certified aircraft... the glider is an unpowered ultralight vehicle. The tug pilot is the pilot in command. You are a passenger. You have the same rights and responsibilities as a skydiver.
It's a bitter pill I'm sure, but there you have it.

BTW, if you think I'm just spouting theory here, I've personally refused to tow a flight park owner over this very issue. I didn't want to clash, but I wasn't towing him. Yup, he wanted to tow with a doubled up weaklink. He eventually towed (behind me) with a single and sorry to disappoint any drama mongers, we're still friends. And lone gun crazy Rooney? Ten other tow pilots turned him down that day for the same reason.
He's his PASSENGER. He has the same rights and responsibilities as a skydiver - like li'l Arys Moorhead.

Fuck this "CLIENT" shit, Martin. I'm not the CLIENT of some douchebag Dragonfly driver any more than Kelly Harrison was the CLIENT of the conspicuously anonymous douchebag who was driving the pickup truck. The goddam Dragonfly driver is part of the launch equipment used to get the glider up to workable altitude. It's the GLIDER around which everything evolves in a competent operation.
At the other end of my systems tow line, we adhere to the use of weak links...
Yeah? Of WHAT weak links do WE adhere to the use of? What PURPOSES do they serve? What are your EXPECTATIONS of them? Why do you think the one Kelly was using didn't work when it was supposed to?
...a sound reliable release...
So I'm guessing Kelly wasn't using a sound RELIABLE release like you do. He'd have probably been OK if he'd been up to your standards on that one.
...and mandatory hook knife.
Well yeah. An appropriate weak link with a finished length of 1.5 inches or less, a sound reliable release, and a mandatory hook knife. Fuckin' bulletproof. What could possibly go wrong? So tell me about the incident you had that convinced you to make hook knives MANDATORY. Got a video of the critical save the hook knife allowed someone or the guy who got killed 'cause he didn't have a mandatory hook knife?
In the end, towing is a risky business and bad things can happen to even the best and brightest.
So the deaths of Kelly and his skydiving student of a varying age were pretty much inevitable - shit happens - and way are we wasting our time speculating about this one? Let's grab our appropriate weak links with finished length of 1.5 inches or less, sound reliable releases, and mandatory hook knives and get some air!
Lets wait for this accident to be properly investigated...
I'm sorry... What' your indication that this "ACCIDENT" will be properly investigated while we clueless muppets sit around with our thumbs up our asses carefully not speculating out of respect for the REAL investigators and families of the "ACCIDENT" victims?
...and let there be a rational assessment of what went wrong.
Let there be light! And world peace!

Lemme tell ya sumpin' Martin...

1:15
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJGUJO5BjnA

That asshole got killed ten times over for the purpose of the exercise, that was a few days over five years prior to this double fatal six days ago, at the El Dorada Lake Bed 'bout eighteen miles to the ENE of the Jean one, and there was NEVER the SLIGHTEST PROBLEM with that motherfucker's very very reliable bent pin release.

http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=16384
Tow Release Malfunction

It's a mechanical thing. It just fails once in a long while - like ALL mechanical things. So shove the idea of "a rational assessment of what went wrong" with this one from these pigfuckers back up your ass where it belongs.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

Two Dead on Hang Glider
Steve Davy - 2015/04/02 07:16:23 UTC
Martin Henry - 2015/04/02 05:15:59 UTC

Lets wait for this accident to be properly investigated and let there be a rational assessment of what went wrong.
http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=27736
Increase in our USHpA dues
Mark G. Forbes - 2012/12/20 06:21:33 UTC

We're re-working the accident reporting system, but again it's a matter of getting the reports submitted and having a volunteer willing to do the detail work necessary to get them posted. There are also numerous legal issues associated with accident reports, which we're still wrestling with. It's a trade-off between informing our members so they can avoid those kinds of accidents in the future, and exposing ourselves to even more lawsuits by giving plaintiff's attorneys more ammunition to shoot at us.

Imagine a report that concludes, "If we'd had a procedure "x" in place, then it would have probably prevented this accident. And we're going to put that procedure in place at the next BOD meeting." Good info, and what we want to be able to convey. But what comes out at trial is, "Ladies and Gentlemen of the Jury, my client suffered injury because USHPA knew or should have known that a safety procedure was not in place, and was therefore negligent and at fault." We're constantly walking this line between full disclosure and handing out nooses at the hangmen's convention.
Wake up folks!

Wake:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wake_(ceremony)
Davis Straub - 2015/04/02 12:46:30 UTC

Yah, Billie, cool it.
OK Davis, you've done your duty and feigned your deep concern for civility. Now ooze back under your rock and leave the discussion to people who might give fucks about something.
Bille Floyd - 2015/04/02 13:04:27 UTC

Yea -- your correct ; i got a bit over-passionate there .
That's your characterization of your post?
Sorry Brianscharp !
Great. Now stay the fuck out of the conversation.
Jim Gaar - 2015/04/02 14:03:12 UTC

Never a "sure" solution
Nah. EVERYTHING we do in this sport's just a crap shoot.

http://ozreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=22660
What can be learned from this "scooter" towing accident?
Jim Rooney - 2011/02/06 18:35:13 UTC

The minute someone starts telling me about their "perfect"system, I start walking away.
Even with an observer or a driver paying attention, cutting the tow line has it's own possible set of consequences...
Obviously. It's not like a piece of 130 pound test fishing line making the call for ya...

http://ozreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=30971
Zach Marzec
Jim Gaar - 2013/02/13 17:57:05 UTC

Former Flight Park Manager

Because it has the best known and accountable safety record (in my personal books anyway).
Worst that can happen when your standard aerotow weak link blows is a bit o' inconvenience.
Brian Scharp - 2015/04/02 15:21:04 UTC

No worries Bille.
I'll worry him a bit if you don't mind.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

http://www.brooklyndaily.com/stories/2015/14/all-nfn-gliding-2015-04-03-bd_2015_14.html
Jo shakes her head at tween hang-gliding - Brooklyn Daily
Joanna DelBuono - 2015/04/01

Lunacy rears its ugly head again.
No shit.
Several...
Five.
...days ago a 12...
Eleven.
...year old...
...person of a varying age...
...was killed in a hang-gliding accident in Nevada when the boy and the...
...skydiving...
...instructor crashed into a dry lake bed.
At least they didn't drown.
What is wrong with parents to day?
Everything.
And where has all the common sense gone?
Vegas.
In these United States you have to be 21 to drink, 18 to vote and in most states 16 to drive.
How old do you hafta be to ride in a car with a driving instructor at the wheel - asshole?
So how come there is no restriction on hang gliding?
Fuckin' Democrats.
Or shooting an automatic weapon on a range in Arizona for that matter.
I dunno. Seems to me it's a lot better to be a nine year old girl with an Uzi than standing next to one.
Why hasn't the FAA enacted an age restriction on all types of aviation practices?
Probably 'cause most parents aren't sure they can pack enough of the right food in the crates to last their kids to their destinations for surface shipping.

http://media.utsandiego.com/img/photos/2013/07/08/San_Francisco_Airline_Kles1_r620x413.jpg
I don't care how safe an instructor says it is.
How safe did the instructor say it was?
There is no way on this green earth...
It's not all that green anymore - particularly where...

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7588/16793597978_a1e73bd274_o.png
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8755/16371420963_2fb0bb7c9b_o.png
23-03400

...this flight was being run.
...that I would allow my 12 year old child to step into a glider...
This isn't the sorta glider ya step into - idiot.
...and soar into the wild blue yonder...
Soaring into the wild blue yonder doesn't appear to have been a problematic issue on this one - ya stupid twat.
...with anyone.
Even T** at K*** S******?
I don't care how experienced, or what the guarantee.
A brand new twelve year old with similar hair and eye color and a six month supply of Cap'n Crunch?
No one is taking my child on such an adventure.
If I were your child I'd have punched Arys in the nose and taken his place.
Not for all the "Please, mommy, pleases," in the world.
I don't believe that was the situation here.
"Hang gliding was this year's adventure" reported KMVT.com. "The 12-year-old wanted to be first," said a relative. Who cares if he wanted to be first?
Yeah, things would definitely had turned out a lot better for him if he'd wanted to go second.
If it isn't safe you just say "no."
And you know exactly what's safe and what isn't 'cause you're obviously a Certified Fucking Genius.
That's why we are the adults and they are the children - we know better.
I'm sure you do. The wisdom of adults never ceases to amaze me.
The accident occurred when the team in the truck made a sharp turn while the glider was still attached and the glider came crashing down.
And no twelve year old has ever been scratched because a truck he was in or was coming toward him made a sharp turn on the highway.
According to the story in the NY Daily News: "The boy's family had hired the man to take him hang gliding near Jean, Nevada." They hired him? SMH.
And I'll bet your head is pretty easy to shake because there doesn't seem to be a problem with excessive mass.
Not for Nuthin™, but what is wrong with parents today?
Nothing. You just told us they all know better.
Why do parents feel they have to allow their children to make these decisions, and why do they feel the more dangerous the activity, the more fun it is? What the heck ever happened to visiting a museum...
...the beach...
http://cdn.grindtv.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/Bethany-Hamilton.jpg
...or a famed landmark...
http://www.lawyersgunsmoneyblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/738-567-mt-st-helens.jpg
...for a good, old-fashioned, fun-filled, family vacation adventure?
What kind of total fucking moron pays something like you to write stuff?
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

http://www.ushawks.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1802
Jean Lake
Warren Narron - 2015/03/31 22:39:19 UTC

The reporting leaves much to be desired.
Just wait until u$hPa gets through with it.
If the line went slack the driver probably thought they were off line and angled the rig for line retrieval.
That makes sense.

I doubt seeing any report from u$hPa anytime soon.
Fuck no.

http://ozreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=25656
The young girl who died hang gliding solo
Jim Rooney - 2012/03/06 18:34:14 UTC

Accident investigations involving fatalities take a long time. And by long, I mean they can take years.
(yes, years, I'm not kidding)
Accident investigations involving fatalities take a long time. And by long, I mean they can take years. (Yes, years, I'm not kidding.) When they DON'T involve fatalities they just take minutes. It's just so much harder to understand what happened after a glider slammed in hard enough to kill somebody.
[quote http://ozreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=25321
Stop the Stupids at the USHPA BOD meeting
Mark G. Forbes - 2011/09/30 23:21:56 UTC

Here's how it really works...
http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=16439
Some day we will learn
Steve Morris - 2010/03/31 23:58:54 UTC

In 2009 there were several serious hang gliding accidents involving pilots on the HG forum (or who had close friends on the forum that reported that these accidents had occurred)...
The two copied messages above we totally purloined from Tad at Kitestrings.org[/quote]
Better known as T** at K*** S******.
Thank you.
PS: There are couple examples of sarcastic gamesmanship over there that are too much, even for my taste, Tad. Inappropriate emoticons IMO, that I'm sure are meant for specific people that have dismissed your warnings but not everyone that reads it knows that whole story.
No, look at the post...

http://www.kitestrings.org/post7629.html#p7629

...again - CAREFULLY this time. Pay particular attention to the top.
I would take those down.
Nah. I love that one just as it is.
The language doesn't help either.
OK, so...

http://www.ushawks.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=992
Continuing Saga of Weak Link and Release Mechanism Failures
Warren Narron - 2012/03/06 02:26:04 UTC

Tad, used to post about as nice as anyone, and nicer than some. Remember?

Blowback... You put in a thousand plus hour$, tooling, te$ting and documenting safety issues for the masses and have it ignored and suppressed by people, for whatever reason, and you would get testy too.
...tell me what DOES. I'll tell ya what helps. When super popular hotshot pro toads...

25-23223
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3713/9655904048_89cce6423a_o.png

...and cute little eleven year old kids...

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7644/16353971834_15d6781e0c_o.png

...get killed and all the u$hPa shits start ordering everyone not to speculate. Too bad we can't do things the RIGHT way.
Sorry, I would like to be able to post links to your comments and you are making it very difficult.
Life's a bitch. But with the sport totally infested with and dominated by total motherfuckers it's really hard to get through a paragraph and keep it G rated.