2015/03/27 Jean Lake crash

General discussion about the sport of hang gliding
Tad Eareckson

Re: 2015/03/27 Jean Lake crash

Post by Tad Eareckson »

http://www.brooklyndaily.com/stories/2015/14/all-nfn-gliding-2015-04-03-bd_2015_14.html
Jo shakes her head at tween hang-gliding - Brooklyn Daily
Joanna DelBuono - 2015/04/01

The accident occurred when the team in the truck made a sharp turn while the glider was still attached and the glider came crashing down.

According to the story in the NY Daily News: "The boy’s family had hired the man to take him hang gliding near Jean, Nevada." They hired him? SMH.

Not for Nuthin™, but what is wrong with parents today? Why do parents feel they have to allow their children to make these decisions, and why do they feel the more dangerous the activity, the more fun it is? What the heck ever happened to visiting a museum, the beach, or a famed landmark for a good, old-fashioned, fun-filled, family vacation adventure?
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2015/06/15/06/29A0E26500000578-3124048-image-a-8_1434344850189.jpg
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2015/06/15/02/29A03C5F00000578-0-image-a-32_1434332371433.jpg
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2015/06/15/02/29A03AB800000578-0-image-a-35_1434332438968.jpg
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2015/06/15/02/29A03C6300000578-0-image-a-37_1434332488656.jpg
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

http://www.flyfunston.org/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1067
UHSPA Gag Rule and Threat to Funston
Dan Brown - 2010/12/13 18:44 UTC

At their October meeting USHPA directors imposed a gag rule limiting free speech by pilots and by flying clubs. The gag rule applies to USHPA members and to non-members who are club officers. The gag rule, SOP (Standard Operating Procedure) 06-01et seq., is available at USHPA's WEB site.

The rule requires all clubs and officers "to be goodwill ambassadors for USHPA and ... to support USHPA's image and support USHPA programs." Clubs may not be publically "critical" of USHPA or have policies "detrimental" to USHPA. The rule doesn't state who at USHPA or by what standards a policy or comment will be determined to be "critical" and "detrimental".

Besides limiting free speech, the rule violates USHPA's stated relationship with the clubs.
These clubs are independent, autonomous, self-governing organizations, which elect to affiliate with USHPA and obtain club benefits, such as site insurance coverage.
Dissent is vital to democratic organizations from countries to clubs. Criticism frequently is "detrimental" but that is the price for democracy. It is unknown why USHPA is so fearful and insecure that it cannot tolerate dissent.

Even though the gag rule was passed at the October meeting, it doesn't appear that it was on the agenda USHPA posted for the meeting and the failure to post it raises legal and ethical issues. There is no indication that clubs or members were consulted.

USHPA did post a proposal to keep accident reports secret. The proposal requires reports to be sent to USHPA's attorney to create an attorney client privilege. I don't know if the proposal passed. It is standard practice for many organizations on their incident and accident reports to delete names but there is no justification for keeping reports secret. The purpose of a report is to learn from an accident by publicizing not suppressing information about it. The FAA doesn't keep reports secret.

When I reviewed the SOPs, I discovered a rule that appears designed to end local control at Funston. The SOP states:
Chapters are required to allow membership by all USHPA-rated pilots who are also qualified to fly at Chapter-controlled sites, without restrictions. All Chapter members must have full voting privileges.
At Funston our site is run by the pilots who fly it and our bylaws limit club voting to those pilots. USHPA may demand that we change our bylaws but we may be able to evade the poorly drafted rule. Our landlord only allows hang gliding. Only hang glider pilots are "qualified" to fly at Funston. Therefore we could limit club membership to hang glider pilots.

The Marin County Hang Gliding Association has taken a strong public position against the new requirement. Its President, Dave Berman, sent the following e-mail:
In my opinion, a healthy organization welcomes and encourages criticism. Threatening to punish any chapter officers who are critical of USHPA is counter-productive, and possibly illegal. Please join me in asking USHPA to remove this negative language from its SOPs. I suggest you contact your regional directors and other board members to express your opinion.
We should join MCHGA and, I am sure, other clubs in opposing the gag rule and the ending of local control.

GAG RULE
F. Chapters and its officers are required to be goodwill ambassadors for USHPA and are expected to work within the USHPA committee system to support USHPA's image and support USHPA programs. Chapters cannot on one hand participate in USHPA subsidized programs and on the other take actions which are detrimental to the USHPA and the sport. Examples of actions which may be detrimental are:
1. Any correspondence in any public media which is critical of USHPA's programs and policies.
2. Any correspondence in any public media which is critical of other Chapters.
3. Any Club policy which is detrimental or causes harm to any USHPA program.
Chris Valley- 2010/12/14 07:01 UTC

From SOP 06-01.04:
G. Chapters may not, as a matter of policy, negligently or willfully discriminate against pilots of one glider type, either hang glider or paraglider, or discriminate between pilots of equal pilot rating. Chapters must ensure that recreational flight privileges are made available to any and all qualified USHPA members meeting Chapter site requirements in a fair and equitable manner without discrimination.

Note: This requirement does not indicate that a site cannot be hang gliding only or paragliding only. Glider specific sites are permissible for safety, land owner, and possibly other conditions.

In extraordinary circumstances, a Club may not be able to conform to the organizational requirements. The Club can submit a request for exemption from an organizational requirement to the Chapter Support Committee. Exemptions to requirements must be approved by the Chapter Support Committee and the Board of Directors.
Urs Kellenberger - 2010/12/14 19:01 UTC
Redwood City

FYI:

http://ozreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=22269
USHPA caught in an embarrassing brouhaha
Rich Hass - 2010/12/14 06:45:05 UTC

First, let me apologize. As the new president of USHPA, this is not the direction I want to see USHPA headed. Having a good relationship between USHPA at a national level and USHPA at a local level through its chapters and members is paramount. While the intentions behind changes to this SOP may have been good, I understand most of the concerns I've read on this forum and I'm committed to helping fix the problem.

After hearing from some of you and reading every comment in this thread, I wrote to USHPA board members today and asked RD's to give the Executive Committee permission to delay implementation of this SOP; sending it back to the Chapter Support Committee for further study. Roughly half the RD's have already responded and a clear majority favors the recommendation. The EC, which acts for the board between board meetings, will review this recommendation shortly.

I'd rather not play the blame game nor will I make excuses for recent events. The draft SOP had been circulated to board members along with roughly a hundred other pages of very detailed material. Chapter Support Committee is not known for stirring up controversial issues and I suspect most directors reviewed the SOP but didn't give it the critical look it deserved. Once your concerns were brought to the BoD's attention, the board responded positively. I think we can get this fixed. The underlying objective has always been to have a strong relationship between USHPA and USHPA chapters and members.

One of my goals is to improve USHPA's ability to communicate with its membership. Mark Forbes mentioned a hosting a forum on the USHPA website where members will have an opportunity to engage in a two-way dialog with USHPA. We recently received clearance from our legal counsel to move forward. Of course, a forum only works if members know what is going on within USHPA in the first place. We will do this, in part, by using USHPA's email newsletter to share information about various initiatives that may be on the next board meeting agenda. Another new communication tool we've developed is email aliases, where members can write directly to a particular committee or workgroup to share ideas. Committee contact info will be on the USHPA website shortly.

Once the EC meets and discusses the Chapter Support SOP, I'll report back.

Thanks,
Rich Hass
Urs Kellenberger - 2010/12/14 22:14 UTC
Redwood City

Here is the update Rich promised:
Rich Hass - 2010/12/14 20:48:58 UTC

I promised to post an update after the USHPA Executive Committee had an opportunity to review concerns over revisions to the USHPA Chapters SOP. Here's a copy of what I just sent to USHPA board members:
The EC met this morning and reviewed changes to SOP 06-01 the BoD approved at the Fall Meeting. Since most of the changes in this SOP aren't controversial, we decided to let the SOP stand except for SOP 06-01.04 C (language to require chapters to have open membership) and SOP 06-01.04 F (language characterized as limiting free speech). These two subsections are now removed. Both have been sent back to committee for further study.

Thanks for responding to my email on such short notice. The USHPA office will send an update to chapters.

Thanks,
Rich
Over half the directors responded to my email yesterday and almost all supported my recommendation to send the SOP back to committee. The EC felt most of the changes approved by the board at the Fall Meeting were worthwhile changes and they don't seem to be the subject of concern. As such, we voted to leave those changes in place an only remove the two subsections that are problematic. The spring board meeting isn't that far away and further fine tuning can be discussed in that venue. I'll do my best to be sure any proposals affecting members (which should be all of them!) get publicized in advance of the board meeting to give members a chance to share their views with their own RD's and USHPA committees.

Thanks,
Rich
David Royer - 2010/12/15 20:31 UTC
San Francisco

Thank you Dan for bringing this issue to light for USHPA Members, and thank you Rich for resolving!
http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=32681
Tandem crash in LV (speculation thread)
Mark G. Forbes - 2015/03/30 23:29:59 UTC

Hi folks,

I understand the interest in learning the cause of this, but could we please not speculate on the forum? We have a very experienced tow administrator (Mitch Shipley) headed to Las Vegas to do an accident investigation, and when we learn what really happened we'll convey that information to our members. He'll be working with two of the local instructors there to get to the truth.

Meanwhile, please refrain from offering speculation or opinion on what might have happened, what might have been theoretically done to prevent it and so on. Emotions are raw, people are hurting, and uninformed speculation doesn't help anybody. News reports are of little use since they're written by people who have no idea how our sport works or what is typical.

Thanks for your understanding and patience.
zamuro - 2015/03/31 01:59 UTC

New York

Maybe is only me but I feel that can do a reasonable job at forming my own opinion about what happened based on available facts and the overall discussion. This includes filtering out whacky ideas but I don't mind seeing them if the alternative is not getting any fact or hypothesis at all.

It seems that facts need not to be public for legal* or other reasons so it always going to be speculation based on the few facts available. Even the ones doing the investigation may have an incomplete list of facts so the best they could do is to give a best (speculation) case scenario.

* It is also hard for me to understand why anything posted in this forum in particular would have any legal consequence if you can always say that it was some non-official random BS posted by an anonymous user. I am not a lawyer though.
Mark G. Forbes - 2015/03/31 03:10:32 UTC

I'm not either, so I rely on the advice I get from people who are. Based on our past experience, comments in club forums and venues like this one can and will be cited in court. As an example, a comment as innocuous as "Let's all keep an eye out for each other out there" was used to argue that every pilot present at a launch site had a duty to prevent a launched-unhooked fatal accident. The pilots at the site didn't know that the pilot in question was intent on launching; they thought he was just walking over to the ramp to line up first. And then he ran off the ramp...
...leaving his...

http://www.chgpa.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1149
Team Challenge: Daily Update Thread
Holly Korzilius - 2005/10/01 18:38:40 UTC

Status Update

Scott just informed me that Bill didn't make it. He died. The only other information I have is that no CHGPA or Blue Sky pilots were part of Bill's wire crew.
...wire crew in stunned disbelief, as they all thought he was just walking over to the ramp to line up first...
...the glider flew away and he didn't. And then we got sued.

I ask because I've seen what's happened in the past.
Liar.
Things we post in public forums can have consequences, and I'm trying to give you some context so you understand what's at stake. Please consider that when posting.
http://ozreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=30971
Zach Marzec
Paul Tjaden - 2013/02/07 23:47:58 UTC

Beyond these facts anything else would be pure speculation.
Angelo Mantas - 2013/02/08 15:30:49 UTC

Yes, but speculation is not a bad thing, as long as it's not presented as fact but as questioning. If we want to reach an understanding of WHY this happened, not just what happened, we have to figure out possible reasons. This is speculation. These possible reasons need to be looked at, considered, analyzed, then rejected or accepted. This is the only way we will learn anything from this.

This thought that there should be no speculation really bothers me. It cuts off any discussion. Reasons given to not speculate include being insensitive to the feelings of loved ones and possible blame being placed or inferred. As someone who lost a dear friend to an aerotow accident, I would much rather find out what happened and how it could be prevented, even if it means some pain in confronting that, than not examining it and missing possible lessons that might be learned.
Fuck you, dude...

http://ozreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=30971
Zach Marzec
Jim Rooney - 2013/02/28 01:17:55 UTC

Well said Billo
I'm a bit sick of all the armchair experts telling me how my friend died.

Ah but hg'ers get so uppity when you tell them not to speculate.
Now whenever one of these tandem thrill ride industry shits tells one of you uppity nigger pilots not to speculate you better goddam well listen...
MEMORANDUM

TO:
ALL USHPA MEMBERS
RICH HASS, PRESIDENT
DATE:
APRIL 18, 2015
RE:
ROBERT KUCZEWSKI EXPULSION HEARING INFORMATION
At USHPA's Spring 2015 directors meeting, the Board of Directors determined Robert Kuczewski has failed in a material and serious degree to observe the rules of conduct governing this corporation and has engaged in conduct materially and seriously prejudicial to the purposes and interest of USHPA.
ANY speculation about ANY halfway serious glider crash COULD be detrimental to the interests of the Corporation and therefore WILL be considered to be detrimental to the interests of the Corporation. And now the Corporation has established a precedent that it can end the flying career of anyone it feels like for any "reason" it feels like trumping up at any time it feels like.
https://ushpa.aero/member_file.asp?id=587
USHPA - Members Only File Download

The PDF file you are about to download is intended for members only. You may download it for personal use, but you may not upload or re-post the file on another website. By clicking on the button below you agree to these restrictions.

File Name:
Jean_Dry_Lakebed_Accident_Report_and_Analysis.pdf
You can't even post a sentence of this bullshit cover-up document and discuss it. This is the single most important crash in the world history of hang gliding. The fuckin' bullshit report was made available to privileged information decimators earlyish last month, it's now latish this month, and not one of you cowardly motherfuckers has quoted a single word of the bullshit for public decimation.

First they came for the unrepentant child molesters - and I said nothing because I was a repentant child molester. Then they came for Bob - and I said nothing because, fuck, it's BOB we're talking about ferchrisake.

And now none of red blooded rabid American freedom loving freeflying motherfuckers has any real freedom whatsoever. Go ahead. Try exercising a little free speech which may be in conflict with the interests of the Corporation and see what happens. My flying career got terminated for me by these tandem thrill ride industry shits over half a dozen years ago but at least *I'M* able to exercise some of my First Amendment rights. You fuckin' worms have all had your balls handed to you by Tim Herr and his sellout lackeys. And you will NEVER AGAIN be able to have any ability whatsoever to have a meaningful positive influence on the sport. Price of not having any actual principles.

P.S. Although having my flying career ended was pretty devastating it does have the considerable upside of no longer having to associate and interact with you fuckin' worms.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=33032
Jean Lake accident report
Davis Straub - 2015/06/18 01:37:23 UTC

http://ozreport.com/1434590603
USHPA releases accident report
Thanks bigtime, Davis. I started covering over here at the end of last month.
Steve Seibel - 2015/06/18 05:05:10 UTC

Is the link working for anyone?
What's it matter, asshole? Did I miss including some punctuation mark in my copy?
When I check the download I just see some sort of menu for members-only site navigation, but no accident report.
Keep working on it, aeroexperiments. I have every confidence that, with your brilliance, you'll be able to hack your way in eventually.
Mike Bomstad - 2015/06/18 05:14:26 UTC

Yep works fine.
See? Fellow hook-in check skipper Wonder Boy was able to figure it out.
Rcpilot - 2015/06/18 06:43 UTC

http://www.kitestrings.org/topic84.html
Careful, RC. Banning offense.

(Anybody else notice the way the hit counts started ramping up from pathetic right after that post?)
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

Hey stupid cowardly Jack and Davis Show twats...

I see your Exalted u$hPa Stooge Information Decimator has deleted RC's post with the link to this thread. Big fuckin' surprise.

Now if you WEREN'T *ALL* stupid cowardly Jack and Davis Show twats content with living your flying careers - and lives - walking around with your balls in your hands kissing lawyer, dictator, privileged information decimator ass and sucking lawyer, dictator, privileged information decimator dick you'd stitch your balls back on and:

- spam links to the K*** S****** thread and copies of the privileged information every place you on the web you could think of

- tell Tim Herr, Rich Hass, Mark G. Forbes, Mitch Shipley, Jim Keen-Intellect Rooney, Dr. Trisa Tilletti, Official Privileged Information Decimators, Jack and Davis to kiss YOUR asses and suck YOUR dicks.

You could EASILY mount a successful revolution - with little risk of facing tear gas, clubs, machine gun fire - and take back a significant control of the sport that's at the center of most of your lives.

But that ain't never gonna happen 'cause you're all nuthin' but stupid cowardly Jack and Davis Show twats content with living your flying careers - and lives - walking around with your balls in your hands kissing lawyer, dictator, privileged information decimator ass and sucking lawyer, dictator, privileged information decimator dick.

So keep kissing all the right ass and sucking all the right dick. If you get really good at it you might achieve your childhood dreams of yourselves becoming Tim Herrs, Rich Hasses, Mark G. Forbesses, Mitch Shipleys, Jim Keen-Intellect Rooneys, Dr. Trisa Tillettis, Official Privileged Information Decimators, Jacks and Davisses.

OK, back to your discussions on flare timing and spot landing perfection, the five most easily reachable locations for releases, what type of fishing line will break most consistently in accordance with your expectations, Joe Greblos Four or Five Cs, how to most safely abort a launch when you notice your glider floating up a bit too high, whose opinions you should give the most weight to.

Y'all totally DISGUST me and it's totally inevitable that you're just gonna get more and more disgusting as this sport continues to degenerate under the control of its corporation and corporate lawyer. That's really all I have to look forward to - you assholes all devolving into total pure unadulterated shit heaps and more really cool fatalities like this Jean Lake farce.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

http://ozreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=42842
Fatalities at Jean
Bille Floyd - 2015/06/18 08:18:58 UTC
Las Vegas

Just got the Accident Report & Analysis from the USHPA , for the Fatalities on Jean dry-lake ;
There were FATALITIES on Jean Dry Lake Bed?! First I've heard of it. Sure hope there were no Hang Five tandem instructors or people of varying ages involved.
anyone else read it ?
Not I, fer sure. What was the problem? Weren't they using typical towing equipment?
Bille Floyd - 2015/06/18 08:28:39 UTC

Make certain Ya read this , before you start to re-post any part of that PDF :
USHPA wrote:The PDF file you are about to download is intended for members only. You may download it for personal use, but you may not upload or re-post the file on another website. By clicking on the button below you agree to these restrictions.
Then can we start to re-post any part of the PDF? Ya think there will come a point when we may be permitted to finish re-posting some part of the PDF?
Sam Kellner - 2015/06/18 12:09:44 UTC
Leakey, Texas

Yes, three weeks ago. ;)
Hey Sam... When do ya think we're gonna get to read the 2012/06/16 Leakey, Texas platform tow fatality report? ;)
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

http://ozreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=42848
Davis Straub - 2015/06/18 01:23:23 UTC

For members only
So they didn't really "release" it, did they? The date on the report is 2015/05/11 - five and a half weeks ago. And you're just now reporting that it was RELEASED? And why should anybody hafta to go to some shit heap like The Davis Show to find out about it?
The report is an analysis of the tandem accident at Jean Dry Lakebed on March 27, 2015.
Yeah, obviously. Cleared everything right up for us. We even found out that an eleven year old student perished with the tandem instructor during the tandem hang gliding flight. (No name or Hang rating given out of respect for his family.)
The major finding is that the pilot in command...
There was a Pilot In Command somewhere around during that massive clusterfuck? Anybody know who he was and what he was able to accomplish?
...was not able to pull the release...
- What release? Already you've referred to a report that's been released, a Pilot In Command, and a release. Where's the evidence that any of this stuff ever actually existed?

- Bull fucking shit.
The tandem instructor next attempted to release from the tow line by pulling on the lanyard connected to the release pin of a typical two string surface tow release system. The tandem instructor pulled twice with one hand without success.

On failing to release with his initial one handed attempts, the tandem instructor then grabbed the lanyard with two hands and pulled twice with both hands.
The "Pilot In Command" was able to pull the fuck out of the release - repeatedly and over a pretty long time interval.
...and disengage...
Oh. AND *DISENGAGE*. Sorry, I'd missed that part. Please continue.
...the glider from the tow rope.
It was a platform tow. I thought the connection was pilot only - two point. So tell me just how the glider was connected to the tow rope.
There had been a repair of the release and the pin was not able to be retracted.
Holy FUCK! Lesson learned! Ya sure won't be catching ME repairing any releases. I sure hope there'll be a section on this technical information in the next edition of "Towing Aloft" by Dennis Pagen and Bill Bryden, the excellent and complete reference on towing equipment and procedures.
USHPA members can find the report here.
And anybody who:
- fuckin' feels like can actually SEE the "report" - and a detailed demolition of it - here
- isn't a total fucking douchebag is also welcome to DISCUSS IT here
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

Gary Solomon - 2015/06/18 14:13:36 UTC
Chicago

I am sad for the pilots...
Yes. Master rated hang glider pilot, Advanced Instructor and Tandem Instructor Kelly Harrison who suffered fatal injuries and his eleven year old student who also perished, tragically, four minutes and seven seconds into what appeared to be a very promising hang glider pilot career.
...and families...
'Specially Kelly's family. They've been a HUGE help in getting the video out there so's all of us muppets can better understand exactly what went wrong with this one and make sure nothing like it ever happens again again.
you ID issue number one...
Not capitalizing words at beginning of sentences?
...but there are a couple of honorable mentions.
A couple? Maybe it would be a lot easier working on a couple things that were done RIGHT. Winch probably did OK and the dump lever in the cab wasn't a bad idea.
I am a firm believer in effective weaklinks...
Me too. Anybody who doesn't use effective weak links that break consistently when they're supposed to - before he can get into too much trouble - deserves whatever happens to him. Ditto for his student pilot.
...and apparently they didn't have one of those either.
Obviously NOT!

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8819/18267685796_64156e9c91_o.png

If that wasn't too much trouble than there's very little that ISN'T!
People complain about weaklinks breaking at inopportune times...
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-bRrpHNa68iY/UQ6Pv9gRZyI/AAAAAAAAjTg/Hc22bx5122Q/s2048/20943781_BG1.jpg

FUCK THEM! Compromising SAFETY in order to increase CONVENIENCE...
...but in this case (and some that have happened to me)...
Yet another brain dead Davis Show, pin bending, easy reaching, dope on a rope.
...I think...
No you don't. And it's WAY too late at this point for you to ever consider starting.
...the only thing worse than the weaklink breaking, is the weaklink NOT breaking.
That and the hook knife being within a moderately difficult reach.
Would have been nice to have a guy in the truck facing backwards, but us aerotow guys are rarely gonna have such luxury.
Name some tugs incapable of watching gliders in mirrors.
Gary Solomon - 53771 - H4 - 2010/09/28 - Daniel Hartowicz - AT FL ST FSL HA RLF TUR XC
This, people of varying ages, is the asshole who was flying the Kolb - uncertified, illegally, incompetently - in front of Arlan Birkett and Jeremiah Thompson at Hang Glide Chicago on 2005/09/03. Outclimbed them, remained totally oblivious, his illegal and effective front end weak link blew at an inopportune time and dumped the glider into a double fatal 250 foot whip-inconvenience.

And he has the fuckin' gall to give us his two cents on tandem tow fatalities and effective weak links.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

Dallas Willis - 2015/06/18 14:43:26 UTC
Raleigh

There was a proper weak link installed...
Bull fucking shit. There was a...
A typical two loop / four strand weak link for tandem surface tow operations was properly installed and positioned between the tow bridle and the tow line.
...TYPICAL two loop / four strand weak link for tandem surface tow operations properly installed and positioned between the tow bridle and the towline. A PROPER weak link will ALWAYS break when it's supposed to. TYPICAL ones almost never do. But typical ones are a lot less expensive than proper ones and we don't want no nanny state dictating safety equipment to us.
...and it did not break because you are mistaking the purpose of a weak link in towing as do most people.
Why do you think that is...

http://ozreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=31052
Poll on weaklinks
Davis Straub - 2013/03/06 18:29:05 UTC

You know, after all this discussion I'm now convinced that it is a very good idea to treat the weaklink as a release, that that is exactly what we do when we have a weaklink on one side of a pro tow bridle. That that is exactly what has happened to me in a number of situations and that the whole business about a weaklink only for the glider not breaking isn't really the case nor a good idea for hang gliding.

I'm happy to have a relatively weak weaklink, and have never had a serious problem with the Greenspot 130, just an inconvenience now and then.
...Dallas?
The tow forces likely never became excessively high in such a way as to structurally damage the glider (until impact).
What makes you think that glider was structurally damaged...

1-1916
http://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5788/23461251751_e98b9c7500_o.png

Dave Pendzick - 2015/03/30 20:33:35 UTC

Something apeared overstressed. The picture of the wreckage showed the wings were folded in such a manor that would indicate structural failure from positive G load, which in that instance, would expain the glider coming down in a nose down attitude.
...on impact? How do you know it wasn't ripped apart in the air by one of those Tad-O-Links that everybody seems to be happy with nowadays?
That is the SOLE PURPOSE of a weak link.
FUCK YOU!!!

http://ozreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=24846
Is this a joke ?
Jim Rooney - 2011/08/26 02:44:10 UTC

Zach, you can nit pick all you like, but I'll put a 100,000+ flight record over your complaints any day of the week.

Let me see if I can clear up a few things for ya.
A lot of this I sent to Steve btw...

The "purpose" of a weaklink is not in question. Your semantics are.
The "purpose" of a weaklink is to increase the safety of the towing operation. PERIOD.

There are many ways in which it accomplishes this.
You're nit picking over what you call the "true purpose"... but all you're griping about is a definition... and an erroneous one at that.

Again, The weak link increases the safety of the tow.

Now, how it does this also provides a telling answer to one of the most hot button topics surrounding weak links... lockouts.
People will rail up and down that weaklinks do not protect against lockouts... which they don't.
But this is a half truth.

The whole truth is that while they don't prevent them, they help.

Where this discrepancy comes from is truck towing.
See, in truck towing, a weaklink does next to nothing for you (unless the line snags).
This is because you're on a pressure regulated system... so the forces never get high enough to break the link.

This is not the case with an aerotow.
This is why the weaklink exists.

The forces of an aerotow can get high enough to tear the wings off the glider.
This is no exaggeration... it can be done.

So think about it.
How is this accomplished?
Simply put... lock out.

So, in a lock out, the forces can very rapidly get so high as to destroy the glider?
So then, weaklinks do not help in a lock out situation?
You can see what I'm getting at here can't you?

Argue all you like about the "true" purpose of a weaklink... but it's only you that's arguing.
I find no disagreement in the professional community as to such.
I only find a disconnect when they're talking to the general public, and it always boils down to semantics.

See, we're not confused.
You're searching for an argument and only finding it within yourself.

This btw is one of the main reasons that most of the professionals do not bother with the forums.
Cuz it's generally a bitchfest around here.

Instead of looking for an argument, you may consider listening instead.
Jim Rooney - 2011/08/28 10:15:12 UTC

Oh, in case it's not obvious (which it doesn't seem to be), once someone starts telling me what the "sole" purpose of a weaklink is, I tune them out as they have no clue what they're talking about.

Weaklinks are there to improve the safety of the towing operation, as I've stated before.

Any time someone starts in on this "sole purpose" bullshit, it's cuz they're arguing for stronger weaklinks cuz they're breaking them and are irritated by the inconvenience. I've heard it a million times and it's a load of shit. After they've formed their opinion, then they go in search of arguments that support their opinion.
Jim Rooney - 2011/08/28 06:15:12 UTC

You're looking for an argument were there is none.

Please note:
is that for those that see the sole purpose of the weak link

This is a very different question than "what is the purpose of a weak link".
One allows for multiple purposes, the other doesn't.

So, you see, we're both "right".
The argument you're trying to create is one of semantics.

You may not know, but Davis is a friend of mine.
We have discussed this many times in person. We are not in disagreement.

If you can not see that we're in agreement, perhaps I can clear things up for you. Or Davis can.
Either way, you're the one creating the drama.
Jim Rooney - 2011/08/28 10:40:24 UTC

Hi Tormod.
Oh, not at all.
I think what you're picking up on is my lack of willingness to discuss this with people that have already made up their minds.
Sorry for that, but it's just the nature of the beast.

I have no issue with discussing this with people that don't have an agenda.
I get very short with people that do however.

Am I "certain" about anything?
Nope.
However, some things get real obvious when you're doing them all the time. One is that weaklinks do in fact save people's asses.
You're 100% onto it... relying on the skill of the pilot is a numbers game that you'll lose at some point.

I find that so many people do not appreciate how fast and furious lockouts can happen.
They're exponential in nature.
Twice the time doesn't equate to twice the "bad"... it's four times the "bad"... then 16... it gets dramatic fast.

Is a weaklink going to save your ass? Who knows? But it's nice to stack the deck in your favour.

Now flip the argument and you start to see the devil.
A glider can take a whole shitload more force than a weaklink can.
So, if you're of the "sole purpose" cult, then you see no issue with a LOT stronger weaklink.

Well, it won't take long with that system before we've got a lot more dead pilots out there.
So they can stuff their philosophical purity bs... cuz I have no desire to tow someone to their death, no matter how willing they may be.

I'm not playing with this stuff in my head and just dismissing it. There's been a lot that's gone into this system.

I've seen too many people walk the "strong link" road only to find out the reality of things.
Fortunately, they've been unscathed, but there have been a lot of soiled underpants in the process.

I'm happy to discuss this stuff.
But I'm sick to death of arguing about it.
http://ozreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=31052
Poll on weaklinks
Jim Rooney - 2013/03/07 06:40:02 UTC

From first hand experience, I'm sorry to say that you're quite wrong.
They are rather capable and some have tried to kill me.
Yes, I have, and have used, the option of letting them go.

As Davis said here or somewhere else... I have no idea where this "purpose of the weaklink" nonsense got started, but it's utter nonsense ok. Stop it.

The "purpose" of a weaklink is to improve the safety of the system.
PERIOD

It's not "lockout protection"... but I'll be damned if it hasn't stopped some of the muppets I've had to tow from locking out.
Is that what's it's "for"?
Who cares what it's "for"?
Who cares what it's "purpose" is?... or more specifically, what *you* define it as?

It helps.

Is it perfect? No, of course not.
Does it "prevent" lockouts... of course not.
Should you rely on it to do so? Nope.

Does it help you when you're f*cking up?
You better believe it.

Does it do other things?
You bet it does.

So... if it's *only* purpose is to prevent your glider from breaking apart... which is complete and utter bullshit... but if that was it's only purpose... why then do we have them at all?
Your glider will tear the rope apart before it breaks.
It will tear the towmast off the tug before it breaks.
Your glider is capable of amazing feats of strength... it is in no danger of folding up on you.

So why have a weaklink at all?
The answer?
Because... brace yourself... You're wrong.
I know, it sounds crazy, but it's actually true.
The *purpose* of a weaklink... is... well... perhaps a bit more than just one simple little thing.

Is the *purpose* of my tow release "lockout prevention"?
No.
But I'll be damned if I won't use it to do so.
See... same thing.
Go back to Tad's hole in the ground. While you're there, ask him why he was banned from every east coast flying site.
They DO NOT tend to break in a lockout situation.
'Specially on a payout winch. And it's a bit misleading to refer to what's going on with a glider with the bridle snagged by a wheel extension as a "lockout". Ask that asshole what G rating he considers "PROPER" to handle that situation?

P.S. Hey Jim...

How 'bout you come outta YOUR hole in the ground now and set all us muppets straight on the purposes of the weak link and the subtle differences between the proper, typical, appropriate, standard, accepted flavors?
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

http://ozreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=42842
Fatalities at Jean
Joe Faust - 2015/06/18 13:35:31 UTC

The following is a draft letter proposed for use by the P-saturated org...
Martin Henry - 2015/06/18 14:10:14 UTC

I read this report a few weeks back.
Pretty incisive wasn't it? Not to compare it to your report concluding that Jon had failed to hook Lenami in, but still...
I'm a little disappointing this is not issued as a public document...
I'd have gone for disgusted but you're the industry standards expert.
...but have no doubt it has found it's way out...
Pretty confident 'bout that, aren't ya? What if T** at K*** S****** had been hit by a truck a bit too early in the cycle?
...IMO, its content should be shared with all members of the towing community.
- But definitely not with the NON towing community, folk who are thinking about towing or doing it but aren't yet rated, parents of people of varying ages wanting to research the best pilot training options...

- What exactly is this "towing community"? Where can I go to find this one big happy family in which everybody's constantly striving to get things right and decimate the knowledge and techniques to others? Were Kelly and his tow vehicle operator, primary spotter, and eleven year old student pilot members of the "towing community"?
The report graphically demonstrates the risks of towing and the additional risks of "step" or "turnaround" payout techniques.
Fuck you. It graphically illustrates the risks of stupid jocks using whatever the fuck crap equipment they feel like and the total absence of standards and oversight.
The report also demonstrates how quickly a tow can go wrong and how little time there is to react to terminal event.
Bullshit.

- Things started going wrong when Donnell Hewett bestowed on us his Skyting Theory 34 years ago and then took another sharp turn to the south when the FAA granted u$hPa its tandem exemption.

- Then there's the issue of the assholes at both ends of the rope - the back one now deader than a doornail and the front one in the witness protection program.

- That asshole had all fuckin' afternoon to sort that one out but lacked the towing and radio equipment to save the flight and the brains to use the parachute to save the glider.
A failed modified release...
Tell me what this "modification was. I somehow managed to miss the description in the report. Maybe you privileged information decimators got some photos we muppets were deemed unworthy of seeing?
...also drives home the need to test...
Yeah...
Dr. Trisa Tilletti - 2012/06

We could get into details of lab testing weak links and bridles, but this article is already getting long. That would be a good topic for an article in the future. Besides, with our backgrounds in formal research, you and I both know that lab tests may produce results with good internal validity, but are often weak in regard to external validity--meaning lab conditions cannot completely include all the factors and variability that exists in the big, real world.
Right.
...and not deviate from a proven system.
'Specially not a proven system that works. When you've got a standard aerotow weak link based on several decades of experience and quite literally hundreds of thousands of tows conducted by numerous aerotow operators across the county you don't just go out and change it - unless of course, Davis Dead-On Straub, who's been at an around all this plenty long enough to understand what's what and who's who - suddenly decides he's become happy with something else with fewer inconveniences and coincidences.
This issue of a "spotter" (or lack there of) is again forefront in towing risk management (or any system to enhance tow operator control/awareness).
- Bull fucking shit. Tow operator control/awareness has absolutely no bearing on the safety of the tow ever under any circumstances.

Mark G. Forbes - 2015/04/01 03:46:29 UTC

Among ourselves, we agree (via the waiver) that we understand we're engaged in a risky sport that can cause serious injury or death. We each agree that we are personally and individually responsible for our own safety. If we have an accident and get hurt, we agree in advance that it is solely our own fault, no matter what the circumstances might be. We sign at the bottom saying that we fully understand these things, that we accept them, and that we know we are giving up the right to sue anybody if an accident happens.

Those are fundamental tenets of our sport. We are all individually responsible for ourselves and our safety. We need to see and avoid all other pilots, avoid crashing into people or property and use good judgment when flying. If someone doesn't agree with those principles, then they don't need to be involved in our sport.
That's a fundamental tenets of OUR sport. If you don't agree with it you can go fuck yourself.

- They HAD a PRIMARY spotter. How many are we supposed to have?
I've studied many towing incident reports...
Must've been quite a task for some asshole with a brain the size of a walnut who takes two and a half months to study an unhooked launch fatality and conclude that the fatality occurred as a consequence of an unhooked launch.
...and believe we have tended to overlook one glaring issue that seems to pass without any attention: Communication.
Oh my Gawd! Who's gonna break this news to all the aerotow people?
IMO...
Big fuckin' surprise.
...I would like to see the introduction of continuous full duplex pilot/operator communication. (and I am not referring to VOX or PTT simplex communications).
Nah, let's not ever discuss a TYPICAL solo pilot radio system with a button on a finger wired into a full face helmet system. Let's go continuous full duplex pilot/operator communication.
Like all accidents...
What do ACCIDENTS have to do with the bullshit that happened at Jean Lake?
...the "what if" scenarios are endless...
'Specially when you've got a couple incompetent douchebags running the show who've decided to fuck up everything they can get their hands on before they even get to the tow site.
...but I suggest many disastrous accidents would have had different outcomes if the pilot and operator where in direct contact.
Like, for example:
Bill Bryden - 1998/12

Rich was platform-launch towing in strong (25-30 mph) winds crossing 35-40 degrees to the tow road. Thermal activity was also reported as moderately strong. The launch sequence commenced with the "go to cruise" command, and the glider cleared the tow vehicle. Approximately 300-400 feet of line unspooled, and according to the data memory in the vario the glider reached about 80-90 feet AGL. The pilot then radioed to the vehicle driver to stop, and a few seconds later the VOX on his radio transmitted the words, "Oh no."
A pilot desperately attempting to deal with a failed release...
...isn't a PILOT. There is ZERO excuse for going up with a release that has any possibility of failing. How many decades do we need to spend dealing with cheap shit that Hang Fives can't seem to be able to figure out and do right?
...or lockout (terminal event)...
Lockout? Terminal event?

http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=14230
pro tow set-up
Ryan Voight - 2009/11/03 05:24:31 UTC

It works best in a lockout situation... if you're banked away from the tug and have the bar back by your belly button... let it out. Glider will pitch up, break weaklink, and you fly away.

During a "normal" tow you could always turn away from the tug and push out to break the weaklink... but why would you?

Have you never pondered what you would do in a situation where you CAN'T LET GO to release? I'd purposefully break the weaklink, as described above. Instant hands free release Image
Get real, dude.
...simply will not initiate an emergency communication.
An emergency communication like WHAT?

"I fucked up a modification on my idiot-proof typical two-string release, my typical two loop / four strand weak link for tandem surface tow operations properly installed and positioned between the tow bridle and the towline didn't break before I got into too much trouble, my hook knife is typically duct taped to my downtube within easy reach and therefore inaccessible in an emergency, I'm too focused and stupid to go for my parachute, I'm not talking to on this radio 'cause I only rigged it for non emergency use, and I'm having trouble recovering from this lockout. Think you could ease off on the gas a bit?"
An "operator" or "spotter" will not have the pilots perspective without direct two way communications (lockout or ?) , nor will a pilot have the perspective of the operator (mechanical or system event). VOX systems are unreliable. PTT (push to talk) require a manual operation. Neither offer duplex (two way, phone like conversation).
Good job as usual, Martin. It's a tough job to spew this much diarrhea out on one of these Jack or Davis Show threads without addressing anything of any actual substance. Takes a real industry standards expert such as yourself.
One other comment, the "step" or "turnaround" system using a payout winch has unique challenges...
Like showing up with a functional brain.
...(and I'm not aware of to many operators that use this technique).
I'm aware of one who definitely won't be using it again.
One particular item from this incident that I noted missing was the use of a weighted section of line similar to some Euro step tow stationary winch systems.
That's OK. Kelly had a pair of those Wills Wing extended wheel assemblies. If you manage to hook the bridle on one of them it'll keep things in place pretty well.
The weight (or line drag device) should be installed on the tow line far enough from the pilot that during the "turnaround" the line (under very little tension) will drape clear of the glider. This system works well with a stationary winch, difficult to implement on a payout system.
Probably why Kelly didn't implement it. He wasn't much into implementing anything he didn't absolutely have to.
I thank the USHPA for having issued the report to the members...
I'd also like to thank the u$hPa for having issued the report to the members - 'cept:
- it didn't
- the report's a total load o' crap
...(tho I wish, it was a public document).
It is, asshole.
I believe if you operate a winch or you tow, you should read the report...
- How many hang glider people who operate winches or tow do you know who are capable of reading the report?

- I believe if you operate a winch or you tow, you should read the excellent article by Mike Meier, "Why Can't We Get a Handle On This Safety Thing?" (http://www.willswing.com/why-cant-we-get-a-handle-on-this-safety-thing/). Although published in 1998, the risk mitigation analyses and approaches in the article are timeless and still applicable.
Martin Henry
http://ozreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=41619
Goodbye Bob K?
Martin Henry - 2015/04/15 14:48:28 UTC

This is one of the most bizarre topics/threads I have every followed (rivals Tad's Utopian "release" )
Suck my dick, Martin.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

Davis Straub - 2015/06/18 18:57:51 UTC

The purpose of a hang glider weaklink is to reduce your risk of bad consequences.
Oh c'mon, Davis. Now you're just plagiarizing...

http://ozreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=24846
Is this a joke ?
Jim Rooney - 2011/08/26 02:44:10 UTC

The "purpose" of a weaklink is to increase the safety of the towing operation. PERIOD.
...Jim Keen-Intellect Rooney. But anyway...

What's the best kind of fishing line to use reduce our risk of bad consequences and what are some of the consequences, downsides of using other kinds of fishing line?

Or does it really matter. As long as you have some kind of fishing line somewhere in your system it reduces your risk of bad consequences. 130, 200... Doesn't really matter. It reduces your risk of bad consequences. The actual figure is just a matter of what the individual pilot is happy with.

Somebody DEMOLISH this totally malignant motherfucker.
Gary Solomon - 2015/06/18 19:26:16 UTC

only to save the glider?
I buy and tie my own.
Pre-Tied or Wrapped and Tied? Wrapped and Tied weak links break more consistently in accordance with your expectations.
They are 120 lbs and I have in the past intentionally flown perpendicular to the tow in order to break it as a fast release.
Well sure. You start to lock out at forty feet you just go to the low side, pitch out abruptly, break the weak link, and fly away. Instant hands free release! Image Everybody knows that. If only more people would actually DO it in low level lockouts.

But instead they always seem to do the precise opposite - fight the roll and pull in. Total insanity. What we really need is a requirement for fifteen or so tandem low level lockout training flights. Bo Hagewood, Adam Elchin, Jim Keen-Intellect Rooney, Lauren Eminently-Qualified-Tandem-Pilot Tjaden, Bart Weghorst, Brad Gryder, Dr. Trisa Tilletti...

Total fucking moron. One of the two most important double fatals in the history of hang gliding prior to Jean Lake in his tug log and he's still got total shit for brains. Apparently never even heard of Zack Marzec.

We REALLY NEED another Rooney Link pro toad fatality to get this point across in no uncertain terms to these assholes.