Blue Sky Scooter Towing

General discussion about the sport of hang gliding
Tad Eareckson

Re: Blue Sky Scooter Towing

Post by Tad Eareckson »

Blue Sky Scooter Towing
Glider To Be Used For Initial Training - Condor 330 or Condor 225

First Day Introductory Ground School

The following sequence represents a simple and reasonable first day introduction to pre flying skills and information.

1. Have students help set up the glider, with a brief description of the parts and associated nomenclature.

2. Show the harness and how it is put on and checked.

3. Demonstrate in a simulator or suspended control bar the various hand and body positions for holding the glider prior to launch, transitioning the grip (grapevine to bottle) during the launch run, hanging in the harness during flight, pulling the body forward for increased speed, letting the control bar out (as opposed to pushing out) to slow down to trim speed, using a light grip, moving the hands up slightly prior to flare, the landing flare motion, and bumping to the side for turn control. The most effective way for students flying upright to effect proper turn control is to pull an elbow towards their hip - this ensures that the weight shift is being accomplished correctly.
What's the most effective way for students flying prone to effect a proper turn? I occasionally see videos of people flying gliders prone and I'm wondering if there would be any advantage in learning a few of the ins and outs of this quaint practice.
Demonstrate the difference between this effective means of lateral weight shift and the ineffective movement of leaning with the head to one side.
Yeah. Make sure they learn how to do it wrong before they get into the air. They might not be able to figure it out on their own.
4. Demonstrate the routing and connection of the tow line and bridles, and the use of the primary release...
Ain't it marvelous the way that thing works on the simulator!
...and the secondary release.
What's the secondary release for? I thought the aerotow type V-bridle and release system worked well for scooter towing.
5. Demonstrate hooking in, doing a hang check...
Yep.

http://www.ushawks.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=821
Fatal hang gliding accident
Sam Kellner - 2011/11/07 02:47:58 UTC

Preflight, Hangcheck, Know you're hooked in.
Always do that hang check. How else ya gonna know that you're hooked in when it comes time to launch?
...lifting and holding the glider at the proper angle of attack.

6. Demonstrate the walk - jog - run method of initiating a run with the glider, accelerating smoothly until it is flying its own weight and lifting off the shoulders.
Should start feeling that suspension going taut any moment now.
7. Demonstrate running with the glider on level ground, with the glider flying and carrying its own weight, and then letting go of the control bar such that the glider is being towed by the pilot's harness during the ground run.

8. Have students practice each skill as demonstrated.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

Blue Sky Scooter Towing
First Day Ground Skimming Tow Flights

1. Establish the student's signal to the instructor that he is ready for the tow to begin - student says "Clear" in a loud, clear voice.
Clear!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0lvH-KxGlQ

5:00
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcKebsmnVUk

I know I'm hooked in hooked in 'cause I just did a hang check five minutes ago! So...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u51qpPLz5U0

...let 'er rip!
2. Begin first student tows - focus on student properly holding and balancing the glider, and properly initiating the run in response to the tension from the tow line.
How 'bout we focus a little on the student NOT initiating the run until he feels some tension from the suspension on his leg loops so we don't kill another Bill Priday - motherfuckers.
Smoothly and gently reduce tow pressure when the student is not performing correctly, so that only properly executed skills result in flying.
Yeah, let's start using "tension" and "pressure" interchangeably so they start getting the hang gliding jargon down properly.
Student's goals are to lift and hold the glider in a wings level, appropriately nose up attitude, to smoothly accelerate the run in response to the tow line tension, to properly transition his grip from grapevine to bottle grip as the glider lifts, to achieve a loose grip on the bar...
If you're gonna skip the hook-in check wouldn't be a good idea to also teach the student how to keep a TIGHT grip on the bar?
...and let the glider go to trim, to keep running as the glider exerts increasing lifting force so that he flies smoothly into the air, to look ahead towards a target rather than down at the ground, and to remain centered so the glider flies straight.

3. Follow each flight attempt with a de-briefing on what was done well, and what could be done better. As student's demonstrated skills improve, extend duration of the flight, and add a very slight increase in altitude.

Note: Some students may not progress this far on their first day, while some may progress farther. Patience is vital, for both the student and the instructor - only the student's mastery of skills should drive the rate of progression towards the next step.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

Blue Sky Scooter Towing
Subsequent Ground Skimming and Slightly Higher Tow Flights

1. Continue to work on refining student skills, and reward progress with slightly increased altitude, and longer flights.

2. Have students begin working on trying to land on feet consistently.
Yeah, how are they gonna be able to safely land in narrow dry riverbeds with large rocks strewn all over the place and fields filled with seven foot high corn if they can't land on their feet consistently?
This requires the student to be hanging in a relaxed and upright position, to be looking ahead rather than down, to be mentally relaxed enough to be aware of approaching the ground, to be able to get their feet moving under them in a running motion, to move their hands slightly up the downtubes, and to smoothly push up and out as they touch down and run out any remaining forward motion.
Yeah, teach them to land as safely as possible.

http://vimeo.com/36062225

http://vimeo.com/39385390

http://ozreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=27086
Steve Pearson on landings
Steve Pearson - 2012/03/28 23:26:05 UTC

Landing straight is easy in smooth or dead air but sometimes requires every bit of control authority that I can manage if the LZ is breaking off or if I have to maneuver late on approach. I always have plenty of pitch authority and don't grip the downtubes because it only takes a light push to get the nose up. I can't control the glider in strong air with my hands at shoulder or ear height and I'd rather land on my belly with my hands on the basetube than get turned downwind.
Teach them to land like the pros.
3. Have students work on pulling in just slightly (perhaps one inch) to fly at just slightly above trim speed while on tow.

4. Have students work on refining directional control. Lateral bumps to induce a small turn, or to correct for a turn should be deliberate and properly executed, keeping the body in a proper vertical position, while pulling one elbow to the hip, and releasing back to center.
Yeah, keep that body bolt upright.
I can't control the glider in strong air with my hands at shoulder or ear height...
http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=25536
Whoops! Snapped another tip wand :-O
NMERider - 2012/03/14 15:17:14 UTC

I refuse to come in with both hands on the downtubes ever again. I have had some very powerful thermals and gusts kick off and lost control of the glider due to hands on the downtubes. I prefer both hands on the control bar all the way until trim and ground effect. I have been lifted right off the deck in the desert and carried over 150 yards.
Everybody knows you have vastly superior roll authority when you're flying that way.
5. Have students work on refining landing skills, letting the bar out to trim as the ground approaches, maintaining wings level and directional control during the descent and roundout process, and transitioning smoothly into a properly timed, gentle flare, with appropriate runout as required.
I can't control the glider in strong air with my hands at shoulder or ear height and I'd rather land on my belly with my hands on the basetube than get turned downwind.
6. As all of these basic skills are mastered gradually increase altitude to about fifteen feet, to prepare students for practicing releasing from tow.
I dunno. You're using an aerotow type V-bridle and release system which works well for scooter towing and...
Joe Gregor - 2004/09

There is no evidence that the pilot made an attempt to release from tow prior to the weak link break, the gate was found closed on the Wallaby-style tow release.
...a lot of pretty good pilots have bought the farm 'cause they've been unable to get them to work well when they've needed them. Are you really sure you want to start PREPARING the to PRACTICE such a highly demanding advanced skill like this at this stage?
Because of the complexity of the situation the student is dealing with at this stage, and the prospect of sensory and cognitive overload, any instructions you give the student have to be fairly simple.
They're already pretty overloaded as things are and blowing one of those aerotow type V-bridle and release system which works well for scooter towing is no simple matter - as we've seen time and time again in the incident reports.
7. Review the release procedure sequence: Confirm flying straight and level towards target...
DUDE! Goes without saying! Just THINKING about what could happen if they WEREN'T flying straight and level towards target and tried to blow that thing...
Doug Hildreth - 1991/06

Pilot with some tow experience was towing on a new glider which was a little small for him. Good launch, but at about fifty feet the glider nosed up, stalled, and the pilot released by letting go of the basetube with right hand. Glider did a wingover to the left and crashed into a field next to the tow road. Amazingly, there were minimal injuries.

Comment: This scenario has been reported numerous times. Obviously, the primary problem is the lack of pilot skill and experience in avoiding low-level, post-launch, nose-high stalls. The emphasis by countless reporters that the pilot lets go of the glider with his right hand to activate the release seems to indicate that we need a better hands-on way to release.

I know, I know, "If they would just do it right. Our current system is really okay." I'm just telling you what's going on in the real world. They are not doing it right and it's up to us to fix the problem. Think about it.
...makes your blood run cold. (You fucking shitheads.)
...pull in slightly to increase speed...
Yeah, DEFINITELY pull in.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/skysailingtowing/message/4049
Towing errata
Bill Bryden - 2004/04/01 16:20:18 UTC

Some aerotow releases, including a few models from prominent schools, have had problems releasing under high tensions. You must VERIFY through tests that a release will work for the tensions that could possibly be encountered. You better figure at least three hundred pounds to be modestly confident.

Maybe eight to ten years ago I got several comments from people saying a popular aerotow release (with a bicycle type brake lever) would fail to release at higher tensions. I called and talked to the producer sharing the people's experiences and concerns. I inquired to what tension their releases were tested but he refused to say, just aggressively stated they never had any problems with their releases, they were fine, goodbye, click. Another person tested one and found it started getting really hard to actuate in the range of only eighty to a hundred pounds as I vaguely recall. I noticed they did modify their design but I don't know if they ever really did any engineering tests on it. You should test the release yourself or have someone you trust do it. There is only one aerotow release manufacturer whose product I'd have reasonable confidence in without verifying it myself, the Wallaby release is not it.
You FER SURE don't wanna have much tow pressure on that sucker when you let go of the downtube to try to get it to work. One shot may be all you get and you wanna have everything going for you when you take it. Keep repeating:

"Straight and level towards the target, pull in slightly to increase speed."

You just can't afford to fuck up on this one.
...squeeze release until line drops away...
http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=11497
Aerotow release options?
Axel Banchero - 2009/06/20 04:57:01 UTC

I just kept hitting the brake lever for a few seconds in WTF mode, and the instructor used the barrel release.
...maintain direction of flight during descent...
Of course it might not be a bad idea to check and see if your direction of flight is still the same after the line drops away as it was before you started working on the problem.

http://www.chgpa.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3107
I have a tandem rating!!!
Lauren Tjaden - 2008/03/23 22:20:15 UTC

Anyhow, the tandem can indeed perform big wingovers, as I demonstrated when I finally got separated from the tug.
Joe Gregor - 2004/09

Once free, the glider was reportedly too low to recover from the unusual attitude and impacted the ground in a steep dive.
Every now and then you'll need to make some minor adjustment if you really wanna nail that spot.
...look out towards target, let bar out to trim to round out with feet one to three feet off the ground, slide hands up slightly, get feet moving underneath you, ease the bar out to maintain height, push out and up to flare and run out landing as necessary.

8. Practice releasing (using primary release) and descent and landing flare sequence.
Yeah, two skills you just can't practice too much - reaching for the release lever when the glider is level and trim and nailing that flare timing without breaking an arm.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

Blue Sky Scooter Towing
Transition To The Falcon - Higher Tows - Laying the Foundation For Working On Novice Level Skills
When the fuck are you planning on laying the foundation for THIS:
The United States Hang Gliding and Paragliding Association, Inc.

Standard Operating Procedure
12. Rating System
02. Pilot Proficiency System
03. Rating Requirements

07. Novice Hang Gliding Rating (H-2)
-B. Required Witnessed Tasks
02. Demonstrated Skills and Knowledge
-c. With each flight, demonstrates method of establishing that pilot is hooked in just prior to launch.
Novice level skill? You've totally disregarded it as...
06. Beginner Hang Gliding Rating (H-1)
-B. Required Witnessed Tasks
02. Demonstrate proper ground handling of equipment.
-a. With each flight, demonstrate method(s) of establishing that pilot is hooked in just prior to launch.
...a Beginner level skill so far.
When the Beginner Level skills as described above...
How 'bout the Beginner level skills as they've been described in the fucking USHGA rating requirements since 1981? Or you you assholes just do and skip whatever you feel like?
...have been mastered on the Condor, the student can be transitioned to the Falcon in preparation for working on the next level of skills.

The transition should start with the student being returned to ground skimming tows on the Falcon, so that the student can become accustomed to the Falcon's faster flying speed and quicker, more sensitive response. The progression of steps one through eight above is then repeated on the Falcon, making sure that the student is mastering each skill along the way. Avoid any temptation to rush this stage of development - even though the student has previously mastered these skills on the Condor, it may take them significant additional practice to master them again on the Falcon.
Yeah, totally skipping the most critical training in all of hang gliding is perfectly OK - but for the love of God don't rush any of the stupid dangerous crap you're electing to shove down the student's throat.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

Blue Sky Scooter Towing
Beginner Level Student Rating

When the student has mastered the skills and clearly demonstrates both mental and physical relaxation in flight, situational awareness, and the ability to focus on goals such as releasing prior to a marked location while handling the demands of controlling the glider, the pilot has reached the Beginner (Hang 1) flight skill level and can take the Beginner Rating written test for that rating.
Yeah. When the student has MASTERED the ABILITY to FOCUS on the GOAL of releasing prior to a marked location while handling the demands of controlling the glider, he's has reached the Beginner flight skill level and can take the written test for that rating.

What's he doing? Trying to grow a third hand? Fuck you guys.

You have him under low tension in glassy air under highly controlled conditions so you can pretend that you're training him to be able to get off tow in the real world without the glider going upside down while he's working on the problem. But if he masters the ability to focus on that GOAL he's good to go for a rating.

I repeat: Fuck you guys.
Following that, the instructor can again begin gradually increasing the altitude and distance of each flight beyond what the student experienced on the Condor.
And you assholes can keep pretending that what you're doing to him and training him for is SAFE.
When the student is flying the Falcon with consistent skill at altitudes of 20-25 feet, making smooth, proper and accurate course corrections, and performing good landings, the instructor can again begin to add new skills.
Like fighting a lockout with one hand...
Dennis Pagen - 2005/01

By the time we gained about sixty feet I could no longer hold the glider centered - I was probably at a twenty degree bank - so I quickly released before the lockout to the side progressed. The glider instantly whipped to the side in a wingover maneuver.
...while releasing with the other.
Review the procedure for using the secondary release...
Yeah, let's do that.

- Pretend you can take your hand off the control bar, swat for the stupid fucking brake lever, and still be alive long enough to start thinking about Plan B after Plan A doesn't work.

- Blind yourself to the reality that - in a situation that actually matters - there'll be an...

http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=14230
pro tow set-up
Jim Rooney - 2009/11/02 18:58:13 UTC

Oh yeah... an other fun fact for ya... ya know when it's far more likely to happen? During a lockout. When we're doing lockout training, the odds go from 1 in 1,000 to over 50/50.
...over fifty/fifty probability of the bottom end of your piece of shit primary bridle tying itself to the tow ring IF your piece of shit secondary bridle manages to clear the bottom end of your piece of shit primary bridle.

I haven't heard what the purpose of this "secondary" release is yet. Is the spinnaker shackle you assholes welded to a bicycle brake lever a safe piece of equipment or isn't it? Is there a possibility of the bridle wrapping at the tow ring or not?
...and have student practice using this release.
Yeah. Have the student blow the bottom end of the bridle at scooter tow altitude. Brilliant. Why don't you have him throw his parachute a couple of times too?

There's a REASON this thing is called and supposed to be used as a SECONDARY release. Fuckin' morons.
Have student make small, deliberate turns of 15 degrees change in heading at predetermined points, while on tow, using shallow bank angles, and return to the original heading. Student should be able to repeatedly turn away from the original heading by a consistent amount, and turn accurately back to original heading before the instructor allows the student to practice turns of greater deviation.
Should he be using TWO hands while he's doing this? Or just one the way he does while he's controlling his glider and going for his primary and secondary releases?
Any evidence of loss of execution of skills mastered earlier, such as airspeed control, landing technique, releasing at the proper location, etc. should be cause for stopping the progression in skills and taking a step back.
And of course YOU guys have all MASTERED skills like landing on your feet...
Gil Dodgen - 1995/01

All of this reminds me of a comment Mike Meier made when he was learning to fly sailplanes. He mentioned how easy it was to land a sailplane (with spoilers for glide-path control and wheels), and then said, "If other aircraft were as difficult to land as hang gliders no one would fly them."
http://ozreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=27086
Steve Pearson on landings
Steve Pearson - 2012/03/28 23:26:05 UTC

I can't control the glider in strong air with my hands at shoulder or ear height and I'd rather land on my belly with my hands on the basetube than get turned downwind.
...and...
Dennis Pagen - 2005/01

By the time we gained about sixty feet I could no longer hold the glider centered - I was probably at a twenty degree bank - so I quickly released before the lockout to the side progressed. The glider instantly whipped to the side in a wingover maneuver.
...releasing at the proper location.
When 15 degree turns are mastered, student can progress to 25 degree turns. Do not allow student to turn more than 30 degrees off the tow line direction without reducing power.

When the above is mastered, increase altitude of tow to 50 feet - student's task is to tow straight ahead, release and land.

Next, tow to 50 feet, have student fly slightly faster than trim, and slow to trim, while on tow.

Next have student repeat turns of 15 degrees away from original heading and back, while on tow, at the higher fifty foot altitude. Verify that student is using proper technique.

The following steps should be done in sequence. The student should only move on to the next step after demonstrating mastery of the current step being worked on. The goal is not to see how quickly the student can progress, but to strive for a combination of relaxed focus and precise execution of skills.
Some of them while flying with one hand.
(Note all specifications of degrees in this section refer to heading change, NOT bank angle. All turns should be at no more than 30 degrees bank maximum.)

Next, tow student to 75 feet, have student release and perform one 45 degree turn, turn back to original heading, execute straight approach and landing. Repeat with initial turn in the opposite direction.

Repeat, with student performing one 60 degree turn, and turn back to original heading, execute straight approach and landing. Repeat with initial turn in the opposite direction.
Do they get to fly prone for any of these drills? Or is that just not an important enough aspect of hang gliding to be worrying about while we're mastering standup landings and one handed lockouts?
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

Blue Sky Scooter Towing
Transition to More Powerful Scooter For Higher Tows

For flights to altitudes above 75 feet, it will be necessary to transition to the more powerful (125 cc) scooter with the longer (3500 feet) tow line.
And we're still good with the standard aerotow weak link, right?

Yeah, I guess so. They're good for twenty-five hundred feet so we're probably talking massive overkill anyway. Forget I asked.
Continuing With Tasks Working On Novice Level Skills

Repeat the two prior tasks (one each with initial turns in opposite directions) on the more powerful scooter - towing to 75 feet, performing one 60 degree turn and turn back to original heading, and executing straight approach and landing.

Repeat, except tow is to 100 feet, have student perform one 90 degree turn, then a 90 degree turn back to original heading, execute straight approach and landing.

Repeat with initial turn in the opposite direction.

Repeat, except have student perform an initial 45 degree turn, then a 90 degree turn in the opposite direction, then 45 degrees back to original heading, execute straight approach and landing. Turns to be over points on ground marked by cones.

Next, student releases at 100 feet, accelerates smoothly, straight ahead to 30 mph, slows smoothly to trim, and executes straight approach and landing.
We still on the downtubes at this point? Guess so, the word "prone" appears nowhere in this document.
Next, tow is to 200 feet, student performs an initial 45 degree turn, then 90 degrees in the opposite direction, then reverses for another 90 degree turn, then 45 degrees back to original heading, and executes straight approach and landing.

Repeat with initial turn in opposite direction.

Next, explain "Box" pattern to student - four 90 degree turns in the same direction: an initial 90 degree turn to crosswind, a 90 degree turn to downwind, a 90 degree turn to crosswind, and a 90 degree turn to upwind.

Turns to be smooth, square, 90 degree changes in heading, separated by brief segments of straight flight.

Student tows to 300 feet and executes a box pattern and straight approach and landing.

Repeat with initial turn to the opposite direction.

Repeat with two alternating 45 degree turns on the final, upwind leg.

Repeat with the student trying to adjust the location of turns to land on a target.

When student has mastered all of the above, and can land reliably within 100 feet of a target, the student can take the Novice level written test.
Without ever ONCE having:
- been exposed to - let alone been taught - anything remotely resembling a hook-in check
- flown prone with his hands on the basetube
- deliberately executed a wheel landing
- dolly launched
- been told the function of a weak link
- heard a weak link discussed in terms of:
-- the load capacity of the particular glider
-- anything other than a loop of 130 pound test greenline
- used glider end towing equipment which makes any pretense of any compliance with any load capacity or performance standards
- been:
-- exposed to towing equipment which allows him to release with both hands on the basetube
-- advised:
--- of any danger associated with a weak link failure
--- that towing equipment which allows him to release with both hands on the basetube is of any value whatsoever
--- of the:
---- existence of towing equipment which allows him to release with both hands on the basetube
---- possibility of bridle wrap
---- lethal potential of bottom end bridle wrap
- heard any mention whatsoever of the word "lockout".

Fuck you guys.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

Blue Sky Scooter Towing
Ground Markers

As already discussed, at least one clearly visible ground marker - such as an orange cone - should be placed at a point two thirds of the way from the scooter to the return pulley. This marks the limit of how far the beginning student should fly under tow. Under no circumstances do you want to have any risk of the student overflying the return pulley and being pulled towards the ground by the tow rope...
Well yeah, obviously. But even if he does, isn't it a fairly simple matter for the him to dump the line? I mean...
The activation handle for the top release is attached on the downtube, near the location where the student will be holding the downtube in flight.
...the activation handle for the top release is attached on the downtube, near the location where the student will be holding the downtube in flight. I'm not really seeing how this should be too much of a problem.
...(which, at this stage of the training, passes OVER the basetube).
At what stage of the training does it pass UNDER the basetube?
On the initial flights, when there is no plan for the student to release from the tow rope, the instructor will ease the student back down to the ground before he reaches the marker by gently reducing tension on the tow line.
Doesn't sound like you assholes...
Gregg B. McNamee - 1996/12

Primary Release Criteria

To actuate the primary release the pilot does not have to give up any control of the glider. (Common sense tells us that the last thing we want to do in an emergency situation is give up control of the glider in order to terminate the tow.)

If your system requires you to take your hand off the control bar to actuate the release it is not suitable.
...EVER have much of a plan for the student to release from the tow rope.
On later flights where the student has been instructed to release, if he fails to do so the instructor will again gently reduce power to ease the student back to the ground before reaching the marker.
Why don't you just chop power?

http://www.chgpa.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2467
weak links
Jim Rooney - 2007/08/01 13:47:23 UTC

Whatever's going on back there, I can fix it by giving you the rope.
Everybody knows that there's no problem on tow that can't be fixed by the driver chopping power.
In either situation, the instructor should never cut the power suddenly, but rather gradually reduce power to reduce the tension on the rope and make the glider descend, without stopping the rope entirely. Enough power should be maintained on the scooter to continue to take up the rope onto the winch reel as the glider flies forward, until the landing occurs.
Sorry dude.
Jim Rooney - 2007/08/01 19:49:30 UTC

It's more of this crappy argument that being on tow is somehow safer than being off tow.
This just sounds like more of this crappy argument that being on tow is somehow safer than being off tow. I'm not buying it.
Students at more advanced levels will, of necessity, be achieving altitudes that would allow them to overfly the return pulley. For this reason, a reliable means of cutting the rope at the scooter must be available to the instructor...
Why?
- When a free flying student has been cleared to solo from two hundred feet is there somebody available to do his job for him if he can't?
- How many times have you had to cut the towline in the seventeen thousand scooter tows you've pulled?
- And why aren't you telling telling us the circumstances and failures which precipitated these incidents?
...and, once again, it is fundamentally necessary that it not be possible for the rope to be snagged or fouled by the pulley or the pulley anchor.
But it's OK to use a spinnaker shackle for a release mechanism which is very obviously capable of snagging a weak link...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/aerotowrelease/8318769461/

...and killed someone someone twenty-six months ago in doing so.
Also, no student who has not clearly demonstrated the ability to release properly and reliably, using both the standard and the back up releases, should be allowed to attain an altitude or position from which he could overfly the return pulley.
Right.
If your system requires you to take your hand off the control bar to actuate the release it is not suitable.
- You equip the student with total crap and tell him that it "works well for scooter towing".

- If he manages to pry it open a couple of times when the glider's trim, he's got plenty of time, and everything's going great then you check him off as having clearly demonstrated the ability to release properly and reliably and allow him into situations in which his life may be dependent upon his ability to release properly and reliably.

- I got news for ya, motherfucker. If you read a few fatality reports it doesn't take very long to reach the conclusion that NO ONE has the ability to blow these things properly and reliably.

- And you know goddam well that the equipment itself isn't proper or reliable or you wouldn't be sending people up with piece of shit "backup" release to back up a piece of shit primary release - without ever once giving us the slightest excuse of an explanation about the circumstances which would require a "backup" release.

- Typically when the shit hits the fan low people do not survive Wallaby releases.

- The idea that - at scooter tow altitude - a piece of shit bent pin barrel "backup" release mounted on a hip is gonna be of any use whatsoever after one of the fairly routine failures of the piece of shit Wallaby release is patently absurd.

- How many tows have you had in which someone has successfully actuated a "backup" release after a Wallaby release didn't "work well for scooter towing"?

http://www.ozreport.com/9.133
Lesson from an aerotow accident report
USHGA Accident Report Summary
Pilot: Holly Korzilius
Reporter: Steve Wendt, USHGA Instructor # 19528
Date : 5/29/05

Holly immediately had control problems right off the dolly and completed 3 oscilations before it took her 90 degrees from the tow vehicle upon when the tug pilot hit the release and Holly continued turning away from the tow in a fairly violent exchange of force . Holly pulled in to have control speed and then began rounding out , but there was not enough altitude and she hit the ground before she could do so. She was barely 100 feet when she was locked out in a left hand turn. At that time, she was banked up over 60 degrees.

The basebar hit the ground first, nose wires failed from the impact, and at the same time she was hitting face first.
- At what stage of Holly's training had she clearly demonstrated the ability to release properly and reliably, using both the standard and the back up releases?
This release shall be operational with zero tow line force up to twice the rated breaking strength of the weak link.
- Does the barrel type release she had at her right side attachment point comply with aerotowing regulations?

- Where was her backup weak link?

- Why are you referring to this as a BACKUP release here and a SECONDARY release at every other reference?
Additionally, when students are making higher flights, it is of paramount importance for the instructor to be aware, at all times, of the relationship of the tow line to the basetube - the angle of inclination of the student's location above that of the turn around pulley must never be allowed to approach the point where the tow rope would contact and impinge on the basetube, as this could cause the rope to impart a nose down pitching moment to the glider and create a very dangerous situation.
You mean like killing someone instantly? À la Shane Smith - 2011/01/15?
Good thing you're equipping your students with the finest towing equipment we mere mortals are capable of developing - an aerotow type V-bridle and release system which works well for scooter towing. Motherfucker.
Other ground markers can be set out as targets or points of focus for the student for use in various tasks, but it is important that the two thirds limit marker be clearly distinguishable to both the students and the instructor and that everyone clearly understand the significance of it.
Yeah, we understand.

That's the point at which the guy on the throttle starts losing his ability to protect us and we start becoming totally dependent on an aerotow type V-bridle and release system works well for scooter towing.

That's the point at which scooter towing starts looking a bit like the real world aerotowing to which we're soon to graduate.

And we've all seen what can happen with an aerotow type V-bridle and release system which works well for scooter towing when it's used for aerotowing.

Don't worry. No fuckin' way I'm getting anywhere NEAR that cone while I'm still connected to the towline with an aerotow type V-bridle and release system which works well for scooter towing. I'm probably gonna try to sneak it back a few yards when nobody's looking.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

Blue Sky Scooter Towing
Scooter Tow Video
Wills Wing Scooter Towing Resources

Background - What Is Scooter Towing - and Why?

Scooter Towing is the use of a motor scooter as a stationary winch to tow a hang glider or paraglider into the air. Towing, as a launch method, has been around since the beginning of hang gliding.
And here's a bit of what was known about tow launching near the beginning of hang gliding:
Manned Kiting
The Basic Handbook of Tow Launched Hang Gliding
Daniel F. Poynter

"Never take your hands off the bar." - Tom Peghiny
"The greatest dangers are a rope break or a premature release." - Richard Johnson
- Got a problem with either of those?
- Are you equipping the student so that he can stay in line with those fundamentals?
The idea of using a scooter as a powered stationary tow winch has also been around for a number of years. In the last few years, however, a number of developments in equipment and technique have brought scooter towing to a highly refined state of development and made it an exceptionally useful tool for training.
Right. We know it's in a highly refined state of development 'cause you just told it it is.
On this page we offer a link to a detailed manual...
- Yeah, right. I've reviewed it pretty thoroughly and I really can't think of anything important that it doesn't cover.

- And besides...
A suggested reference book on towing is Towing Aloft by Dennis Pagen and Bill Bryden.
Between all the contradictions within and between the comprehensive video, the detailed manual, and the suggested reference, if there's any lunatic crap that the instructor or student wants to hear or believe he'll have very little trouble finding it.
...on the Blue Sky Scooter Towing method, written by Steve Wendt and Mike Meier.
Dual authorship! Cool! That way the moronic stuff can always be blamed on the other party. That's probably why the excellent book, Towing Aloft, by Dennis Pagen and Bill Bryden, was written by Dennis Pagen and Bill Bryden.
We also present a comprehensive video, featuring Steve Wendt demonstrating the equipment and techniques described in the manual.
Do we see him demonstrating a hook-in check?
Oh, wait. That's not described in the manual so I guess he's OK on that one.
Well how 'bout the function of a standard aerotow weak link or a backup release?
Finally, there is a list of hardware resources to aid interested instructors in assembling their own Scooter Tow systems.
Any place you can get better release equipment than the total shit that Blue Sky, Wallaby, Quest, and Lockout Mountain sell?
Scooter Tow Video

A streaming video that complements and illustrates the written manual.
Featuring Steve Wendt and Produced by Ryan Voight
Oh goodie! Steve You've-Got-To-Hook-In-Period Wendt and Ryan Instant-Hands-Free-Release Voight! I can hardly wait!
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

Blue Sky Scooter Towing
Scooter Tow Video
Ryan Voight Productions

Scooter Towing

Wills Wing

Steve Wendt
Blue Sky Hang Gliding

Copyright 2007 by Sport Kites, Inc.
dba Wills Wing, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

No part of this video may be reproduced without the express written permission of Sport Kites, Inc. dba Wills Wing.

This video is intended for use by trained and qualified hang gliding instructors, in conjunction with the companion written manual:

"Blue Sky Scooter Towing
Method, Equipment & Practices."
Bullshit. It's intended for use by incompetent useless douchebags like Steve Wendt and Ryan Voight.
Together they assume in the user a thorough knowledge of the principles and practices of teaching hang gliding.
That's a pretty dangerous assumption in a sport that's totally unregulated, universally incompetent, and corrupt beyond all imagination.
Instructors wishing to use scooter towing as a training tool must also have significant experience as pilots in at least one method of ground based towing, and have a thorough understanding of the general principles of towing.
And we're supposed to believe that you guys have a small fraction of a clue regarding the general principles of towing?
BlueSky Scooter Towing
The Three Key Aspects:

The key aspects of the Blue Sky scooter towing method that make it such a valuable training tool are:

- the use of a low horsepower scooter to provide a gentle and precisely controllable tow tension;

- the use of special, purpose built, large area, lightweight training gliders that allow slow flight speeds in no or very light wind conditions;

- the combination of these two factors in an instructional technique that involves extended, low speed, low altitude tows, providing the student with an ideal learning environment and experience.

First Day Training
General Summary of Layout

Once we have the line set up, we'll have your orange cone set up about two thirds of the way to the pulley. Remember, that's the point at which we wanna at least be off the rope or have landed before we get to that that cone so that we never have a chance of running out of rope. And we won't let that happen. That's a big safety issue. But I'll... I'll be a big factor on that as well as teaching you how to do it properly.
- Yeah Steve, you're gonna HAFTA be a big factor on that 'cause you're sending them up on crap equipment which prevents THEM from from being a big factor on that.

- BULLSHIT. There's no way in hell you're EVER gonna be able to teach anybody how to do this properly 'cause you yourself don't have a fuckin' clue how to do it properly.
British Hang Gliding and Paragliding Association Technical Manual - 2003/04

On tow the Pilot in Command must have his hand actually on the release at all times. 'Near' the release is not close enough! When you have two hands completely full of locked-out glider, taking one off to go looking for the release guarantees that your situation is going to get worse before it gets better.
- Every now and then in aviation you need equipment capable of doing the fuckin' job. Kinda like you can't teach somebody to keep a plane right side up through a cloud layer without an artificial horizon no matter how good you think you are.

- And every single flight you ever put these guys up on when there's a possibility of the glider not being level and trim is gonna be a dice roll. If you give the students decent equipment they won't NEED some asshole pretending to be teaching them to do this properly - they'll just do it.

- But the shit you're sending them up on...
Steve Kinsley - 1996/05/09 15:50

Personal opinion. While I don't know the circumstances of Frank's death and I am not an awesome tow type dude, I think tow releases, all of them, stink on ice. Reason: You need two hands to drive a hang glider. You 'specially need two hands if it starts to turn on tow. If you let go to release, the glider can almost instantly assume a radical attitude.
...doesn't just stink on ice - it goes way out of its way to stink on ice.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

Blue Sky Scooter Towing
Scooter Tow Video
First Day Training
General Guidelines

Our goal today is to take off comfortably...
Hey Steve...

Ya know what *I* do when I want to take off comfortably? I put my glider on a launch dolly. Lotsa my buddies do too. I'm not just uncomfortable taking off behind a tug on my feet - I'm scared shitless. Even more so after watching the Robin Strid video and reading about Justin Needham having his glider totaled and almost getting his neck broken in a dragging incident.

How can ANYONE *POSSIBLY* be comfortable taking off on a tow he has no means of safely aborting? And how do you configure a release for foot launch towing that you can blow with both hands on the downtubes?

So you've never had anybody at Manquin who needed to foot launch.

Have you ever had anybody at Manquin get half killed 'cause she couldn't abort a tow launch 'cause she needed her hands on the basetube and her "release" was on her shoulder?

And since all you assholes totally refuse to do anything resembling a hook-in check, there's no possibility of anyone having to deal with an issue like THIS:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u51qpPLz5U0

By the way... Ever had one of your Manquin students run off a cliff without his glider?

Nobody beyond scooter tow training at Manquin foot launches - it's all platform and dolly. So if your goal today is comfortable takeoffs, what's the point in foot launching these students? Is that a skill that they're ever gonna need in a tow environment?

Do they even need to be on tow to develop it? Can't they just practice running the glider on flat ground into a five mile per hour breeze?
...and aggressively...
Bet your most impressive college age jock can't take off half as aggressively on foot as I can on a launch dolly - especially if the wind starts to tail.
...fly five feet off the ground, maybe five to seven hundred feet in length, and land safely - maybe some on your feet - and if we do that we've had a great first day.
- Oh! So they can land safely *NOT* ON THEIR FEET! How very odd - I've always been led to believe otherwise.

- Ever had anybody at Manquin have a problem bellying in?

- Ever had anybody at Manquin break an arm doing a totally unnecessary foot landing?

- I've had some pretty good days that didn't involve legs on either end of the flight.

- I've had a few somewhat expensive days solely because I tried to land on my feet when I didn't need to.

- I've very rarely been in a situation in which a foot landing was called for and when I have it was always as a result of putting myself in a situation I shouldn't have.

- One time I did an excellent no wind no stepper on a mountainside clearcut and needed crutches for a while thereafter.

So tell me... Why do we need to be foot launching and maybe landing to have a great first, second, tenth, or hundredth day?