Cutting the line

General discussion about the sport of hang gliding
Tad Eareckson

Re: Cutting the line

Post by Tad Eareckson »

http://www.kitestrings.org/post930.html#p930

Belated thanks for the heads up on that one, Steve.

http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=23803
My first post / I messed up!
Ross Lowery - 2011/11/01 15:00:03 UTC
Arkansas

I've wanted to fly for many years and recently attempted to take the first step. I found an instructor somewhat local, got my H1 and bought a Freedom 170. My flying is very limited (scooter tow) because wind conditions were not right at the training hill (about three hours away).

Well, on my ninth scooter tow (less than ten feet on previous tows) I screwed up.
When you're a Hang One on your ninth scooter tow and there's a screwup the person primarily responsible isn't the Hang One.
During my run I reached "my" top speed and was *still* on the ground. This hadn't happened on any previous runs. Sooo, I sort of fell/dove/pushed out on the glider all in one futile motion.
Maybe if you had STARTED down with your hands on the basetube, let the scooter get you up to speed, and eased out after it did the day would've gone a bit better.
The glider instantly went up to maybe twenty feet with me almost prone and fully extended. Panicked, I held that position and fell *almost* straight back down.
Kinda like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYe3YmdIQTM
Somehow I hyperextended both elbows (never let go of downtubes) resulting in completely torn triceps (both) and completely torn medial collateral ligaments (both elbows). I'm about two weeks out of surgery and helpless but thankful for what I still have. I want to continue my lessons but am having second thoughts. Any input would be appreciated.
Walt Conklin - 2011/11/01 15:13:58 UTC
Montana

Get back on the horse and try it again, but only when you are completely healed.

Mishaps have a way of creating doubt. Don't let that discourage you. Learn from your mistake.
Learn from WHOSE mistake?
Only you can decide whether to continue or not. All we can do is offer support.

Good luck, heal well and keep us posted.
Ross Lowery - 2011/11/01 15:23:29 UTC

Thanks. Definitely getting ten inch wheels, at least, on my next trip. Think I will stick to hill training for a while once I'm healed up. Just having a hard time grasping the injury with such a non eventful looking crash. Also, tweaked the cross bar a little.
Walt Conklin - 2011/11/01 15:58:24 UTC

Eight inch wheels will work just fine. Just remember, if you know you're going eat it, just let go of everything, tuck your head and ball up.
Yeah, we always tell people that. But the people who are most likely to need to let go of everything are almost always the ones least likely to be able to do it.
It's a natural instinct to grab onto something, but let the wing take the punishment and not you. Stay safe and keep the faith.
- STAY safe?
- Lose the goddam faith. That's your worst enemy in this sport.
Red Howard - 2011/11/01 08:03:29 UTC
Utah

Sounds like you had squirrely air, maybe a light tailwind or thermal behind you.
Sounds like his "instructor" bloody well knew what kind of air it was before, during, and after this little training exercise.
I do not tow, but I have heard of scooter towing being used when conditions were not optimal. That damage was tough for you. It sounds like you are tougher, though.
Bullshit.
Yeah, I really recommend big wheels. Back in the day, flying something I now regard as Experimental, big wheels probably saved me once from a huge hospital bill or worse (I walked away, literally).

When you start getting it together again, do some serious tandem flying first, with launch and landing ON WHEELS.
And if you wanna minimize the chances of a rerun KEEP launching and landing ON WHEELS.
Do the scooter towing (if any) from a launch cart.
Oh no. Blue Sky / Wills Wing scooter towing doesn't recognize dolly launching as a legitimate takeoff technique. You really need to be running as fast as you can with your hands on the downtubes to do this right.
We have NO possible use (or benefit) with foot-launched scooter towing as a special skill in actual fact. Carts can run way faster than you can.
Interesting concept. But if that were really true I'm sure you'd see a lot more dolly launching than we do now.
Disregard any HG operation where your safety is not the first priority.
Don't ya think that would eliminate damn near every option on the continent?
YOU are the Pilot in Command on anything that you fly solo.
Unless it's a glider behind Jim Rooney - God's Gift to Aviation.

http://www.chgpa.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3600
Weak link question
Jim Rooney - 2008/11/24 05:18:15 UTC

Gee, didn't think we'd have to delve into "pilot in command"... I figured that one's pretty well understood in a flying community.

It's quite simple.
The tug is a certified aircraft... the glider is an unpowered ultralight vehicle. The tug pilot is the pilot in command. You are a passenger. You have the same rights and responsibilities as a skydiver.
It's a bitter pill I'm sure, but there you have it.
Then you've got some asshole regulating your thrust who's stated in no uncertain terms that he'll kill it whenever he feels like it and dictates what your weak link will be and what equipment you can and can't use on your aircraft. And damn near all the crap on his approved list is substandard and illegal under USHGA and FAA regulations.
I have gone out to watch HG towing more than a few times, with the intent of learning to tow. In each case, I saw bad practices which the operators had assured me would NOT happen (launches in poor winds, skipped checklists, equipment failures) and I just walked away with my bones and wallet intact. I may go back, but not with me as the tow pilot unless I see things have improved.
Don't hold your breath. I'm seeing one long process of everything slowly drifting south.
Send us a picture of your "tweaked" crossbar. It may be easy to fix, or not.
Brad Barkley - 2011/11/01 16:25:23 UTC
Frostburg

Make SURE you have an experienced tow operator who knows what he's doing and knows how to keep you safe.
He's got one.

http://www.chgpa.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2467
weak links
Jim Rooney - 2007/08/01 13:47:23 UTC

Whatever's going on back there, I can fix it by giving you the rope.
Just like Jim Rooney.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8143/7462005802_bbc0ac66ac_o.jpg

Or Sam Kellner.
What did the tow operator do when you zoomed up twenty feet to help keep you from pounding in?
Wills Wing / Blue Sky / Steve Wendt / Ryan Voight Productions - 2007/03

NEVER CUT THE POWER...

Reduce Gradually
Increase Gradually
Take a wild guess.
And, was he allowing you to scooter tow without wheels?
Sure. He's a Hang One. You don't get a Hang One until after you've perfected your foot landings.
Just make sure you have an instructor who can help you stay safe.

I have done hundreds of scooter tows at Blue Sky (I am now truck towing there) and, though I have screwed up plenty, I have never felt unsafe, never been hurt beyond a few scraped knees.
Yeah, ya can't go wrong with good ol' Steve Wendt.

http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=17404
Aerotow barrel release - straight or curved pin?
Jim Rooney - 2010/05/31 01:53:13 UTC

BTW, Steve Wendt is exceptionally knowledgeable. Hell, he's the one that signed off my instructor rating.
He's exceptionally knowledgeable. Hell, he's the one who signed off Jim Rooney's instructor rating.
Ross Lowery - 2011/11/01 18:06:05 UTC

Thanks for all the advice. The instructor wanted me to have wheels.
Good to know his heart was in the right place.
I didn't have time to get them before my lesson.
Well, you've got lotsa time now.
And, yes, there was a intermittent tailwind, very, very slight. Could that have caused my impact to be "worse".

It was just a bad day, but I *respect* the glider and sport more because of it.
And I'm sure your *respect* for your "instructor" remains undiminished.
I've been reading and watching all I can but nothing takes the place of experience.
There are TONS of things that can and do trump experience.
- good pair of wheels
- launch dolly
- mindset to lift the glider to the stops five seconds before launching
- one and a half G weak link
- both hands on the basetube release actuator
- two point tow bridle
- runway streamers

A Hang One can walk away smelling like a rose while a Hang Five can leave in a body bag.
I plan to lay off the towing and concentrate on hill launches/landings when I get back. I mean, what could happen on a hill? ;)

My cross bar is just a little tweaked/wrinkled at the padding over by the attachment joint. The downtubes have a very slight arc/bend, almost unnoticeable, and symmetrical on each one. The Freedoms have oval style downtubes. I wondered if they had a slight bend/arc from the factory.

Edit: My glider has the small plastic wheels.
Steve Baran - 2011/11/01 19:26:49 UTC
Chattaroy

Ouch - that's got to have hurt! Hope you heal up completely. Wheels will help. I've never towed but from what I've seen in person and heard about on the org - things can go bad quickly (in any form of launching) and towing can accentuate the situation.
He didn't get fucked up until his "instructor"...
Manned Kiting
The Basic Handbook of Tow Launched Hang Gliding
Daniel F. Poynter

"A bad flyer won't hurt a pin man but a bad pin man can kill a flyer." - Bill Bennett
"The greatest dangers are a rope break or a premature release." - Richard Johnson
...STOPPED towing him.
Brent Benoist - 2011/11/01 21:20:10 UTC
Memphis

If you can't use your arms, what are you typing with?
Ross Lowery - 2011/11/01 21:40:19 UTC

Lol, I can type. I just can't reach my face/head. Put on / take off my shirt. Can't push anything (triceps) but CAN bend my elbows against gravity to sixty degrees. My hands are fine.

Edit original post. I'm not helpless ;). Issues yes, but who doesn't.
Nic Welbourn - 2011/11/01 22:29:36 UTC
Canberra

It's a real bummer you crashed while training, hope you heal well and get back on your dream horse.

I've always wondered about learning HG via towing. Personally, I've recently decided not to continue aerotowing because (apart from the cost, time, and inconvenience) it seems to have a much more narrow margin of error.
Depends a lot on who you have on the front end and what kind of equipment you're using on the back end.
Add thermic conditions to the mix (i.e. this is when you want to be towing) and the risk factor is a little high for this leisure pilot.

But I always have wheels unless it's too windy to self-launch with them.

And there's just something I love about running your wing off a mountain.
Secure in the knowledge that since you NEVER get into your harness unless it's connected to your glider there's NO FREAKIN' WAY you can't be connected to your glider so why bother with a hook-in check?
Best of luck! Better to follow your dreams than know regret.
It's not like they're mutually exclusive.
AirNut - 2011/11/02 00:07:27 UTC
Australia

Well said about regret, Nicos.
Yeah, sure.
Once I heard a Buddhist monk say something about the basic aim of life that really struck a chord. And that was to get to your deathbed with no regrets (and also not to hurt anyone along the way).
Whenever you get hurt like that other people get hurt as well. And if you don't have regrets about one of those you're a fuckin' moron.
CAL - 2011/11/02 00:51:27 UTC
Ogden

This is something I have wondered as well. I love flying and at this point can't imagine not flying, but I also love my health and strength, if I ever limited my health and strength hang gliding (course I am 56 years old) I am not sure if I would return or not.

I think it would be a tough decision, I know several pilots that dust themselves off and hit it again.

My brother-in-law has had two accidents, one from paragliding and one skydiving.

One almost cost him his life. He was hired to dive into stadiums for the Fourth of July.

After returning to dive again for the Fourth of July, I remember the announcer saying after a bad accident he is a hero for returning and jumping once again.

As I thought to myself, a hero? His wife was the hero, it was she who nursed him back to health, day after day! It is she that worries each time wondering if she will ever see him again, every time he enters the plane for his next jump.

I am not sure I could put my wife through that again.

Things that could have changed is, instead of jumping once a year he could have stayed current.

This sport is as safe as you make it.
Unless you're towing. Then you're a total idiot if you don't think the guy controlling your thrust can fuck you over but good.
If you return, stay close to someone who is conservative, knows you and your ability.
Try to look for a little competence as well.
I have always loved flying with Ryan Voight, he has never stopped me from flying but he lets me know the risks, then lets me decide. Most of the time I listen and have enjoyed the margin of safety it renders.
Yeah, right. Did you hear what I said about competence?
If I would have listened to my ego I would be flying a T2 instead of my U2 which I now love and plan on flying to the best of my abilities so that I can have many fun and rewarding flights. I understand the risks and try to stay focused and current.

Good Luck, I hope your decision will bring you happiness! Flying brings me happiness!
His cost/benefit ratio leaves a bit to be desired at this point.