General discussion about the sport of hang gliding
Tad Eareckson

Re: 2005/09/03 AT crash

Post by Tad Eareckson »

http://ozreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=865
Tandem pilot and passenger death

Back to you, Mike...
Michael Bradford - 2005/09/15 01:41:35

Matt Taber's speculative analysis in The Oz Report today describes a fact so simple as to be easily overlooked. I too have heard tandem instructors pontificate that one cannot stall on tow.
I've read it in the magazine:
The Wallaby Ranch Aerotowing Primer for Experienced Pilots - 1998/02

by Austin Scott Collins, USHGA Aerotow Pilot. Based on instructional information developed by David Glover and Malcolm Jones, USHGA Advanced Tandem Instructors. Copyright 1998 by Florida Hang Gliding, Inc.

The pilot fails to anticipate the tug's quick climb-out after launch, gets low, and then doesn't push out far enough to climb up. Remember: it is almost impossible to stall under aerotow. The induced thrust vector makes the glider trim at a higher attitude. It is OK to push way out; you will climb, not stall.

Should you find yourself low behind the tug, you may need to actually push out on the control bar forcefully, resulting in a "past normal" bar position, that in non-towing situations would lead to a stall. However, because of the "pull" of the tow line, this action will result in a CLIMB, and not a stall. Stay with the tug using pitch input. If you are low, PUSH OUT!
You can go to:

http://www.wallaby.com/aerotow_primer.php
Aerotow Primer for Experienced Pilots

TODAY and read the exact same outrageous load o' pure unadulterated crap.
This may be arguable, but only by those who enjoy argument.
http://ozreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=24846
Is this a joke ?
Jim Rooney - 2011/08/25 04:55:25 UTC

Ditto dude.

It always amazes to hear know it all pilots arguing with the professional pilots.
I mean seriously, this is our job.
We do more tows in a day than they do in a month (year for most).

We *might* have an idea of how this stuff works.
They *might* do well to listen.
Not that they will, mind you... cuz they *know*.

I mean seriously... ridgerodent's going to inform me as to what Kroop has to say on this? Seriously? Steve's a good friend of mine. I've worked at Quest with him. We've had this discussion ... IN PERSON. And many other ones that get misunderstood by the general public. It's laughable.

Don't even get me started on Tad. That obnoxious blow hard has gotten himself banned from every flying site that he used to visit... he doesn't fly anymore... because he has no where to fly. His theories were annoying at best and downright dangerous most of the time. Good riddance.

So, argue all you like.
I don't care.
I've been through all these arguments a million times... this is my job.
I could be more political about it, but screw it... I'm not in the mood to put up with tender sensibilities... Some weekend warrior isn't about to inform me about jack sh*t when it comes to towing. I've got thousands upon thousands of tows under my belt. I don't know everything, but I'll wager the house that I've got it sussed a bit better than an armchair warrior.
It may be difficult to stall while on tow, but the problem does not occur while on tow... technically, it occurs during towing operations, after a release. Don't forget that release can come at any moment, and uninvited.
But not a weak link break, of course. That always increases the safety of the towing operation - at the expense of...

http://ozreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=31052
Poll on weaklinks
Davis Straub - 2013/03/06 18:29:05 UTC

You know, after all this discussion I'm now convinced that it is a very good idea to treat the weaklink as a release, that that is exactly what we do when we have a weaklink on one side of a pro tow bridle. That that is exactly what has happened to me in a number of situations and that the whole business about a weaklink only for the glider not breaking isn't really the case nor a good idea for hang gliding.

I'm happy to have a relatively weak weaklink, and have never had a serious problem with the Greenspot 130, just an inconvenience now and then.
...a bit of inconvenience now and then.
The resultant abrupt stall happens when the tug's energy is instantly subtracted from the system.
Total...

http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=12682
Landing on your feet (for AEROTOW)- So Dangerous
Jack Axaopoulos - 2009/06/29 14:26:26 UTC

OMG!!! You dont even have wheels!!?!?!?!? Image
YOURE GONNA DIE FOR SUUUUREE!!!! Image
I have a brilliant idea. People who cant land for sh*t.... LEARN TO LAND Image That way when a weak link breaks on you, ITS A NON-ISSUE. Genius huh??? Image
...bullshit.
And it is functionally equivalent to sudden power loss when flying a powered aircraft at or near full throttle, below Vx speed.
Shove it up your ass. It's an inconvenience.
Having survived such an event in a powered aircraft many years ago (the aircraft was totaled,) I will side with Matt.
I wouldn't do that if I were you. Just 'cause two people are on the same page with two plus two equals four doesn't mean they should immediately jump into bed with each other.
Regardless of its relevance to this incident, it's really really important to dispel this idea that "you cannot stall while towing."
Why? How is that idea any more lethal than the, "You cannot launch unhooked after you've had a hang check." idea? How 'bout a different tack? How 'bout we PROMOTE it to the HILT? Why do we wanna keep any of the stupid fucks who could swallow this shit under any circumstances sticking around continuing to stink up the sport and the gene pool?
For years I've told my story to friends, students and strangers alike, with the warning that when the power disappears, "You cannot count to one. It might as well be a balloon drop. If the ground is near, never never never venture on the backside of the pitch curve."
What do you tell them about standard aerotow weak links and Dragonfly tow mast breakaways?
Before Paris Williams soloed me during training, he threw me a traditional pinoff at 20 feet...
By means, of course, of a traditional release that can only be used in traditional conditions and traditional circumstances.
...to test my reaction. "I've never seen anyone react quite that quickly," he told me after I lowered the nose and flew the glider onto the grass. "Can't count to one," I told him.
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8394/8696380718_787dbc0005_o.png
37-23223
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3713/9655904048_89cce6423a_o.png
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-bRrpHNa68iY/UQ6Pv9gRZyI/AAAAAAAAjTg/Hc22bx5122Q/s2048/20943781_BG1.jpg
Whatever the outcome of the investigation of this accident...
The outcome of the "investigation" of this "accident" will be obfuscation, coverup, and an even MORE dangerous towing environment with the same sociopaths still firmly in control.
...please pay attention to Matt.
And Trisa, Davis, Paul and Lauren, Steve Exceptionally-Knowledgeable Wendt, Jim Keen-Intellect Rooney, Mike Dead-Eye Robertson, Jack, Bob, Sam, all the other duplicitous pieces of shit running and in this game.

Fuck that, Michael - in the spirit in which you intended it. Nobody who needs to pay attention to ANY individual in order to grasp ANY essentials of aviation - 'specially something as brain dead two-plus-two-equals-four obvious and fundamental as a thrust failure is a BAD thing - has any goddam business ever flying ANYTHING. Probably needs his driver's license permanently revoked as well just to be on the safe side.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

Mike - 2005/09/15 02:38:59 UTC

stall on tow

Michaelb51,

While your post was good, dramatic copy, it seems you got in the way of yourself while reading Matt's article.
Forgive him. Any time anyone reads more than a sentence or two of anything of Matt's his IQ will inevitably take a temporary dive of ten or fifteen points.
Matt's point was that a glider can stall while on tow. Yes, stall while on tow. Get too low on tow, push out to reposition and perhaps the glider does not respond. More airspeed would fix the problem, but you are way too low (with respect to the tug) with no response from the glider no matter how much you push out. I think this is a stall.
It's not a stall as long as you're flying. It's a really dangerous mush.
The longer and farther you push out, the greater distance between bad and worse.
Doesn't make any sense. One millimeter worse from bad is worse.
I would subscribe to the gospel of never trying to recover after getting that low...
Somebody show me a video of a GLIDER getting LOW. I'll put it in my collection along with gliders thinking they can fix a bad thing and not wanting to start over and hook-in checks giving people false senses of security. This is more of the crap we're getting from aerotow training. It's as physically impossible for any tug driver to do anything wrong as it is for a Rooney Link to decrease the safety of the towing operation.
...just release.
Don't bother pulling in and getting some speed up first. Certainly wouldn't wanna do anything to inconvenience the fuckin' douchebag on the tug any. Just dump yourself off. You'll be just fine...
Wills Wing / Blue Sky / Steve Wendt / Ryan Voight Productions - 2007/03

NEVER CUT THE POWER...

Reduce Gradually
Increase Gradually
...after those couple hundred pounds of tension are instantly subtracted from the equation.
Though actually, it'll never happen to me.
It'll never happen - AGAIN - to me either.
Michael Bradford - 2005/09/15 09:19:29

Mike,

Too true. The tug's power is no more infinite than the tow gear's.
Depends on what you mean by "power". Looking at the way we've let these motherfuckers hijack the sport I'd say it IS pretty much infinite.
I stand clarified. What the tug can do though, is help you fly well into the back side of the pitch curve.
If you've got a tug the slightest bit interested in helping you then you will NEVER find yourself low and slow behind him in the first place.

Also, a really good Dragonfly tug pilot will never tow a glider behind one of those pieces of shit.
This can also happen even when you are not "too low."

Too low, too slow or too fro' -- time for me to go.
What?
Pin off, or be popped off at high angle of attack though, and the result may be the same.
Then what did you mean by that previous load o' crap?
Jeff Nielsen - 2005/09/15 23:44:09 UTC

Stalling on Tow - ready to talk now !!

I agree with Matt's statements and it echos what we were taught and teach in our area; "never push out, only let out."

I don't know about the rest of you, but I am falling off my chair waiting to hear more details about Arlan's (and Jerimiah) accident AND to talk about everything.
- Why do you think all available details haven't been publicly released already? Isn't it pretty fucking obvious that what's going on is damage control, spin doctoring, obfuscation, ass covering?

- ACCIDENT?

- Jeremiah's name doesn't deserve to be in parentheses and misspelled.

- Notice the conspicuous absence of any statement from and identification of the tug driver?
The main issue that I have is the height at which this accident was said to have happened. Everyone refers to him as being "low." Unless that tug was having problems, I don't think he was low.
Tugs don't have problems which put them ABOVE gliders.
He was found 500(?) off the end of a 2831 feet runway so he traveled 3300 feet. If they averaged 35 mph, this means that he was in tow for 1 min 5 seconds. (35 mph or 3080 feet per minute). If you figure he was on the ground for 10 seconds, he would have be climbing for 55 seconds. At a minimum, he was climbing at 400 feet per min using the Rotax 912 engine. This means he "should have" been closer to 400 feet !! Right? Maybe, maybe not, but it's an interesting calculation.
We haven't heard a single word about wind direction or speed. That can seriously fuck up your calculations.
The second issue is that the chute has been reported as "thrown."
These things don't add up to "stall at low altitude" in my opinion. Here's an experience pilot that throws his chute in a stall? If he was below 200 feet in a stall, he must have know that a chute would not helped.
What's he got to lose?
If he was higher than that (see above) and thought he was in a stall, why would he throw his chute? If that were me, I would have been trying to fly all the way to the ground. Throwing my chute in a stall would have been a distant thought for me.
It's a distant thought for everyone who's still got something with a chance of flying. But if Bill Bennett / Mike Del Signore had thought of theirs before their tug's safety device kicked in they'd have probably been able to walk away.
The third issue questions if the tandem glider got low behind the tug...
It didn't. The fuckin' douchebag on the tug got high in front of the glider and fuckin' STAYED THERE.
...and then went into a stall. If you have ever towed behind that Kolb, you would KNOW that flying too slow and getting low behind the tug is NOT an issue ... quite the opposite in my experience.
Yep. And behind anything else as well. Which leads us to conclude that the tug outclimbed the glider.
I have many flights behind that tug in a double vision and getting low has never been the issue. Trying to keep low enough because of a fast tug is the issue.
Goddam right.
I can fly much slower than that particular Kolb tug. That Kolb tug stalls way before I do (double vision with 300 lbs hook in). So, this "got to low, stalled, went into the ground" sounds unlikely behind this tug.
Or any other tug. It's bullshit.
What was an experienced pilot thinking throwing his chute at whatever height he was? What circumstances would lead him to think throwing a chute was his best option? A stall? What was his motivation for doing so? A medium loaded glider stalling behind a fast tug ... doesn't sound right to me.
It sounds fine IF the tug outclimbs the glider - which is EXACTLY what happened with Bill Bennett and Mike Del Signore. The tug pilot, Dave Farkas, didn't know what he was doing, tried to help by doing the precise opposite of what he needed to, and gave us an honest highly detailed account of his actions, reasoning, recollections. What's your best guess as to why we're not getting a SINGLE PEEP on ANYTHING out of Gary Solomon?
Personally, I think there must be another answer. This is just MY opinion, btw !!!
There is a lot we can learn talking about this tradegy whether we have facts or not.
And there's a lot of benefit the motherfuckers responsible for this one can get by making sure we get as few facts and as much disinformation as possible.
I think it's time to talk about it.
Sorry. They won't be giving you any facts and you're not permitted to speculate. Check the conditions of your rating.
As long as we are not drawing conclusions and being respectful, I can't see the harm with discussing the "what ifs."
Oh my God! This asshole's about to start SPECULATING! Somebody report him to Jim Keen-Intellect Rooney before this situation spins out of control any further!
While we all hope to find a reason for this accident...
I one hundred percent guarantee you that's the LAST thing the higher ups are hoping.
...a lot more can be learned JUST by talking about this situation in general.
C'mon Davis...

http://ozreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=22660
What can be learned from this "scooter" towing accident?
Davis Straub - 2011/02/07 19:21:29 UTC

Okay, enough. On to new threads.
This has gone on way too long already. What's the point of having a lock button if you're not gonna use it for anything constructive?
For instance, Matt's information on the OZ report about following a tug and stalling (whether it applies to this accident or not) is quite valuable and may save someones butt.
Bless you, Matt.
Anyone else ready to discuss this accident?
Gary maybe? Any details you can fill in? I've always had the greatest respect for those of us who've jumped through all the hoops necessary for certification as a tug pilot.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

Amdemma - 2005/09/16 00:26:36 UTC

As a stundent of Arlans (at the time) Im following this thread very carefully.
Were you ever a stundent of second grade English? Or are you just trying to see how much language butchering you can cram into a fourteen word sentence?
Im as anxious as the rest of you to find out more about the accident. Two things... "What circumstances would lead him to think throwing a chute was his best option?"
Based on the way the tandem is set up, if a chute was thrown, I dont think it would have been Arlan that would have thrown it (its in the students chest). Assuming it was thrown, which I have only heard here, my guess is that Jerimiah threw it.
Not a bad guess. When there are only two hands available to deal with a situation both of them are almost certainly gonna stay glued to the basetube rather than even making the easy reach to the release actuator. Four hands? Might as well give the chute a shot - nothing else seems to be working very well.
And...Can someone tell a newer pilot what the "backside of a pitch curve? means :)
I'm an older pilot. I don't have a fuckin' clue. And I seem to have gotten through a fairly long career in pretty good shape without ever having had a fuckin' clue.
Thanks
Martin Henry - 2005/09/16 01:14:14 UTC

Everybody, I can understand the frustration with the lack of information on this accident. But please lets just be patient and let the people who are doing the investigation do their jobs.
- And trust:

-- them, of course, to have the best interests of us and the sport as there utmost priorities.

-- also that these anonymous individuals are the best of the best. And when they release a report which states:
There is no evidence that the pilot made an attempt to release from tow prior to the weak link break, the gate was found closed on the Wallaby-style tow release.
you can bet your bottom dollar that there was no evidence that the pilot made an attempt to release from tow prior to the weak link break as the gate was found closed on the Wallaby-style tow release.

- And make sure not to discuss any likely or possible scenarios on an internet forum because doing so will make the jobs of these crack investigators virtually impossible. Also be sure not to discuss anything in private with anybody because of the extreme fragility of these operations.
As a past investigator to this type of accident, there is more to understanding the crash then what ends up on the ground.
Yeah, sometimes you find a crushed body in a hang gliding harness on the ground a thousand feet below a hang glider launch and absolutely no idea what happened. Then after two and a half months of painstaking investigation you find that the tandem operator who was arrested and charged with obstruction of justice for taking the memory card out of the wing camera and swallowing it after landing in the LZ with fewer passengers than he started out with failed to hook one of them in.
For the job to be done right, time is needed to get the facts right.
Years. Decades sometimes. Keavy Nenninger's Dragonfly augured in at Ridgely on 2011/07/23. And the NTSB immediately began an investigation. But then T** at K*** S****** speculated that there was a control system failure. And that totally derailed the investigation. And as a direct consequence Mark Knight's Dragonfly augured in at Phoenix Regional in an almost identical manner on 2014/02/23. Hope you're proud of yourself, T** at K*** S******.
I do agree that a basic statement of fact should be made (that includes a fundament profile of the know events). I am sure such a statement will be forthcoming.
I certainly am too, Martin. How can one possibly lack confidence in any organization honest enough to make a statement like:

http://ozreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=25321
Stop the Stupids at the USHPA BOD meeting
Mark G. Forbes - 2011/09/30 23:21:56 UTC

Here's how it really works:

- Member submits an accident report. Could be the pilot who had the accident, or some other witness.

- Accident report is sent to Tim to maintain legal privilege. Tim reviews the report and determines whether there's significant legal risk associated with it. He may redact certain parts (personally identifiable information, etc.) if in his opinion exposure of that information poses a risk to us. If the report is very risky, he may decide that it can't be shared further, and will notify the ED about it. He may also notify our insurers if he sees a potential for a claim, as is normal practice for any incident where we are aware of such a potential.

- Redacted report goes to the accident review chairs, for incorporation into periodic articles in the magazine. Articles focus on root causes of accidents, not on personal narratives or details.

The whole procedure is outlined in SOP 03-16, which you can read by logging into the USHPA website and clicking on "Policy Manual".
Until then, its best that speculation is kept to a minimum...
Kept to a MINIMUM!!! There IS NO minimum. You either speculate or you DON'T. There's no such thing as a MINIMUM pregnancy. We've just seen what a "minimum" amount speculation did to Mark Knight - who was a really great guy beloved by all who knew him.
...and let the investigator take their time to draw sound conclusions.
Yeah douchebag. Do you want the investigator having to spend all their time having to read speculation on The Davis Show? 'Specially the speculation that's spot on and just makes the desired spin damn near impossible?
The 2002 Fort Langley accident investigation took well over a month just to attain a suspect theory. Then and additional 2 months to collect data and facts to support the theory.
- Pretty good clip compared to the two and a half months it took you to determine that Jon Orders failed to clip Lenami Godinez-Avila in.
- The theory that totally excluded the Dragonfly tow mast failure as a possible contributing or relevant issue.
Out of respect for the pilots that lost their lives, let the investigators get it right!
Stop interfering with them and preventing them from doing their jobs. The First Amendment was NEVER intended to protect such obscenities as unauthorized speculation!
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

Martin Henry - 2005/09/16 01:48:18 UTC
Amdemma - 2005/09/16 00:26:36 UTC

And...Can someone tell a newer pilot what the "backside of a pitch curve? means :)
I believe...
You BELIEVE? So you don't have a fuckin' clue what he's talking about neither.
...the statement (simply put)
The statement is NOT simply put. That's the problem.
...means being pushed out when the hang glider flight profile needs to be pulled in.
"FLIGHT PROFILE" didn't really need to be included in that possible "clarification".
Or, you're aft of your CG during a stall, when you should be forward.
Stop. I got a headache from this one a long time ago.
Depending on the type of aircraft, this can be a very serious place to be.
If it's a toy wind-up aircraft on the living room rug you're probably gonna be in reasonably good shape.
For an aircraft that relies on the movement of mass to trim its flight characteristics, being aft while in a severe stall is very bad indeed. Staying aft can result in a tail slide or whip stall (or worse, a tumble caused by the radical pitch down that occurs with a whip stall).
I think I'm beginning to understand how an investigation into a failure to hook in fatality can take two and a half months.
Matt's theory gets straight to the point:
FUCK "MATT'S THEORY". That motherfucker doesn't get to say two plus two equals four and call it his theory. We've got mushrooms that figured that shit out hundreds of millions of years ago.
Don't let yourself get near this situation, recovery may not be possible from a low altitude.
Oh. So if you stall you can hit the ground? And that can be a BAD thing? Can anybody on speaking terms with Bob tune him into Matt's Theory so he can see how it checks out when he runs it through his Navier-Stokes equations?
I would really like to put Matt's theory into perspective as to why this is such a serious issue.
A tandem glider, under tow, that is being flown near stall, pushed out and is gradually descending into the wash of towing aircraft suddenly looses its tow force (glider/tug/weak link release).
Tow mast breakaway? Tow mast breakaway protector?
What little balance that existed up to that point is gone and a whole new real set of balances occurs (extreme aft CG).
So if you're flying slow on the end of a rope that's pulling up really hard and you lose the rope you're probably gonna fall? Like if you're hanging from a climbing rope and somebody cuts it you're probably gonna fall? Is that the point you're trying to get across to us, Martin?
The tandem glider stalls completely and at the same time descends even further into the wash of the towing aircraft. It is at this point we are asking a 175 pound pilot take command (in an emergency) of a glider that has a gross Mass of 500 pounds. That's why, no time or risks should be taken. Just getting close to this situation should be addressed with an aggressive pulling in and release.
Why do you hafta release? Why can't you just stay on and stall the fuck out of the tug? Isn't the ultimate goal of this sport to have as much fun as possible while minimizing the risk to oneself?
I some cases you will not get a second chance.
If you follow MY suggestion you will.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

Jeff Nielsen - 2005/09/16 02:21:14 UTC

Just for clarification, I am not asking that it be "right" at this moment, I am asking that it be discussed.
Fuck that. You hafta be ONE HUNDRED PERCENT *RIGHT* about these things. Just like the final report we're gonna get ten years from now will be after the anonymous crack investigator completes their exhaustive crack investigation.
I see no inherent respect to the dead in NOT talking about what happened.
It's fuckin' DESPICABLE to not talk about these. That's damn near ALL we should be talking about until:
- ONE HUNDRED PERCENT of the people we have flying these things understand exactly what the fuck happened
- are on the same page with two plus two equals four
- all the motherfuckers responsible for these are properly dealt with
Arlan was a good friend and the last thing I would do is disrespect him (and/or Jerimiah too).
Then stop putting him in parentheses. Arlan was responsible for the safety of that operation and did a total shit job. He used total junk equipment and violated the crap out of rules and regulations. Three deaths - including his own in the space of a bit over fourteen months.
In my opinion, simply talking about anything would be better than waiting in silence.
Sorry dude, your opinion is in direct conflict with the opinions of the motherfuckers orchestrating these things.
In fact, I think it IS a disrespect NOT to be talking and learning right now.
Try not to think too much. That sort of behavior tends to get threads locked down. Come over here and ask around if you don't believe me.
People, including myself, are highly motivated right now to learn.
You REALLY don't know when to shut the fuck up, do ya?
Just from the few phone calls I have made to friends talking about this has led to tremendous insight and learning.
DANGER! DANGER! DANGER!
Perhaps I have already become a better pilot exercising my mind through a couple of senerios. Make sense?
Yes. Now read the crap published by sleazebags like Dennis Pagen and Matt Taber and see if IT makes sense.
I think people are confusing two seperate issues here. One would be the findings and conclusions of the people who are investigating this accident...
Who are they? Out in the REAL WORLD are the names of the investigators kept secret? Don't they appear on television to show crash scene video; give updates on their progress; rule out various scenarios; give most likely scenarios; publicize eyewitness accounts, black box data, recordings and/or transcripts of communications with the tower?

You're watching Massey Energy run the investigation of the Upper Big Branch coal mine explosion disaster. They don't want information getting out to the families, other coal miners, the public and people discussing things, reaching inescapable conclusions.
...and rest of us who are close or concerned pilots who want to know more and learn.
Fuck concerned pilots. USHGA's been running a campaign to turn concerned pilots' brains into mush for decades - and been doing a really good job of it.
Clearly, the people who are investigating shouldn't give a conclusion or talk until everything is done.
'Cause they're the best of the best. They're gonna work tirelessly for as long as it takes to get every punctuation mark dead on. They don't wanna hafta deal with the totally clueless comments, questions, ideas, suggestions of any of us mental midget muppets who think they might have something to offer or who have ideas about homemade gear with little to nothing in the way of track record. STRAIGHT pin releases that you can't use on heavy ropes without weak links... Get real dude.
The rest of us? In my opinion, we should be talking and learning about everything right now.
You should shut the fuck up and do what you're told by Dr. Trisa Tilletti, Davis Dead-On Straub, and Jim Keen-Intellect Rooney. Fuckin' armchair, keyboard warrior, weekender muppet.
Despite saying that, it would be nice if they could give us an investigating update other than "2 people died in a hangglider at 7:00pm." Just a simple update would be nice ... not conclusion, just a simple update. Perhaps facts that are not in question, for instance.
OK. The wreckage was found on the ground and the pilot and passenger are believed to have been uninjured prior to impact with the aforementioned ground.

Now fuck off.
If I am the only person who feel this way...
If you weren't then...

http://www.ushawks.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1041
"Sharing" of Hang Gliding Information ?!?
Merlin - 2012/05/26 13:22:30 UTC

I confess to previously having a bit of an Oz Report habit, but the forced login thing has turned me off permanently, and I am in fact grateful. Frankly, the site had pretty much been reduced to a few dedicated sycophants in any case.
...you pretty much are now.
...please forgive me...
This ONE TIME. Never let it happen again.
...and I will shut up. :)
Now shut the fuck up. :)
Thanks.
Don't mention it.
Martin Henry - 2005/09/16 03:16:19 UTC

Jeff,

We are "talking".

Look through this thread. Look at the OZ report.
As long as you've got Davis's permission. He's got it locked down now.
We are discussing;
- the DD harness
- Glider:
-- certifications
-- airworthiness
- Tow force and theory
- The evolution of our form of aviation
You're NOT discussing:
- the:
-- tow mast failure in the double fatality Martin reported on
-- facts that:
--- the HGC glider was supposed to have gotten dangerously low on the tow with the instructor either in command or available to take it
--- FAA aerotow weak link regulations were being blatantly violated
--- no weak link strengths are being mentioned
--- the front end weak link overrode the decisions of all three pilots to continue the tow
- why Davis is being privileged with inside information being withheld from everyone else
- what:
-- purpose the weak links being used were supposed to be serving
-- qualifications our resident brain damaged sociopath is supposed to have that we don't
Yes its frustrating waiting for a statement, but I too lost a very good friend, and three other fellow flyers (in a sport where we often establish a very close bond to our fellow dreamers).
Yes Jeff, it's frustrating waiting for a statement but Martin lost a very good friend and three other fellow dreamers with whom he hadn't established a very close bond. Understand now why you should tolerate these motherfuckers having sat on the information for near two weeks now?
I stand by my statement asking for patience, I apologize if you have taken offence.
I accept your apology, Martin. Fuck you anyway.
Michael Bradford - 2005/09/16 03:16:36 UTC

Imagine a graph which plots a curve that is smoothly sloping from left to right, until it peaks, then after a short steepening downturn, plunges vertically to 0.

The curve plots angle of attack (increasing, from left to right) and lift produced (the up and down axis.)

On the left ("front") side of that curve, near the top, is the angle of attack producing "best glide" speed. Increase the angle of attack (push out) and just the right of the apex, you find minimum sink. Push out any farther and first mushing, then stall occurs.

Everything to the right of the apex of that curve is called the "back side." Power pilots refer to it as the "back side" of the power curve because in this region, where best angle of climb occurs, the engine is gobbling up the drag. If the engine quits, the drag immediately wins.

Metaphorically, the towline is a long skinny engine.
Bullshit. You're just making more of this crappy argument that being on tow is somehow safer than being off tow.

In hang glider towing high tension causes lockouts so we use weak links which prevent the high tension necessary for lockouts to occur and the high angles of attack necessary for a stall to occur if power is abruptly lost for any reason.

And stalls are no big fuckin' deals in hang gliding anyway.
James Lawrence - 2005/09/16 13:18:40 UTC

Re my previous post, I have to agree with Jeff. While I certainly respect Martin's opinion and emphathize with his feelings, having lost many close friends to hang gliding myself over the years, his urging patience feels suppressive to me.
Bloody well IS suppressive. Justice delayed is justice denied.
Talking about accidents is as old as our prehistoric ancestors sitting around the campfire after a hunt, grunting about the successes and failures of the day's events. Hunters died in those days too.

There is a time for mourning, and there is a time for learning. They can run parallel. Life isn't a textbook and we can't control nearly as much of it as we think we can or would like to.
AVIATION bloody well IS a textbook. And a fairly simple and straightforward one at that.
Manned Kiting
The Basic Handbook of Tow Launched Hang Gliding
Daniel F. Poynter

"A bad flyer won't hurt a pin man but a bad pin man can kill a flyer." - Bill Bennett
"The greatest dangers are a rope break or a premature release." - Richard Johnson
There was a really bad pin man and - INTENTIONALLY - a really crappy rope that broke.

On top of that there was very likely a reflex bridle that wasn't adjusted for sail shrinkage but that's a totally secondary issue. You can still kill a glider with a properly adjusted bridle by decreasing the altitude at which the shit hits the fan and/or increasing the severity of the shit. See Mike Haas, 2004/06/26, Hang Glide Chicago.
As I posted earlier, I believe it is vitally important that we all share our feelings, not just our hard and fast evidence. It's part of the healing we all have to do when someone loses their life in an activity that we do.
Fuck feelings. You give me one single example of the death of one of our beloved friends has catalyzed a measurable implementation of a fix we had available and in use on a small scale years prior.
It's also part of our learning, and part of our understanding.
Fuck that. If anything is to be learned here it's that the more we allow sleazebags like Davis and his buddies to get away with the more they're gonna try to get away with.
It's how we move on, wiser, safer, and we can hope, more human pilots.
Close to nine years later now, Jim. Tell me about all the progress we've made.
In similar instances I have called upon the writings of Tom Wolfe from his great book on the early US space program, The Right Stuff. He talked about how pilots in various test programs were consumed with anxiety after someone they knew or knew of died when testing a vehicle. The fear could be overpowering...until they knew the probable cause of the accident.
We know the DEFINITE cause of the "accident". The fuckin' rope broke. Lemme know when you wanna stop talking about what an excellent operation Highland Aerosports is and help me get better ropes into circulation.
Once they had some handle on what happened, or even what "might" have happened, they could get back in the cockpit and do their jobs.
What would they do if they knew precisely what the problem was and the military kept forcing them back up on the same lethally defective equipment?
It's the not knowing that cripples our resolve to do dangerous things. Ignorance is the panther that waits just beyond the circle of firelight.

It's completely natural that we talk about these thoughts and feelings after a tragedy like this. Inhibiting the dialog is what governments and trial lawyers do.
You mean like the hang gliding government and its lawyer we have in place now are doing at this very moment?
It has, in my opinion, no place in an enlightened society, which is what we're all trying to be here.
Well if that's what WE'RE ALL trying to be here we should probably try something else 'cause we all totally suck at this.
Personally, I've learned a lot about towing just from reading this thread that I might not have learned.
You could've learned all about the primary factor in this one by reading Manned Kiting which was published 31 years prior.
And a couple things are directly opposite to tips I learned from my first tow instructor, one of which is "Don't let that tug get above you whatever you do, push out! push out! You can't possibly stall!"
So how come you're not naming your first instructor so we can get his certification revoked - or at least advise everyone to avoid him like the plague?
Apparently you can.
And you needed to have this happen in order to be able to reach that conclusion?
I want to know more.
Guess we'll just hafta wait for more rerun fatalities to get other points - like there's no such thing as an easy reach on a plane that requires two hands for control - across to you.
Clearly there is more information to share about this potentially lethal activity of towing.
Nothing that hasn't been clearly stated and repeated by sane people thousands of times before.
Learning through an accident is not, in my opinion, a disrespect or disservice to the memory of those who fell.
No. It's a waste of the life or life - 'cause there's NEVER an "accident" that happens as a result of an issue that wasn't fully understood decades before.
On the contrary, I think if they could read this dialog, they'd encourage every scrap of insight be shared so the same thing doesn't happen to any other pilots down the road.
Arlan had pulled Hang Four rated Mike Haas up on a totally piece of shit Wallaby "release" that had been savaged by one of the authors of the excellent book, Towing Aloft, by Dennis Pagen and Bill Bryden 86 days before and a standard aerotow weak link off the bottom of the end of the legal range and killed him dead as a doornail. And both of those issues were critical factors.

Arlan had ZERO in the way of public comment, made ZERO - along with everyone else in The Industry - in the way of recommendations, did ZERO in the way of modifying procedures at his own operation.

But because it was his own ass that got killed at his operation in similar circumstances - illegally light weak link pop the next season he's now supposed to be having all these concerns that mistakes not be repeated?

Arlan developed no insights he deemed worthy of sharing in the fourteen plus months left of his life subsequent to Mike's fatal crash. But you think he developed some really good ones in the span of however many seconds it took him and his student to freefall 250 feet?

This guy:
Martin Apopot - 2010/01/18 22:21

He went back to the scooter machine and I gave him my signal I am ready. Before the signal, I should have picked up my glider to feel for the pull in my strap and leg loops.
leaves the field with a broken neck.

This guy:

http://ozreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=25550
Failure to hook in.
Bille Floyd - 2011/10/27 16:59:26 UTC

The Wind came back up and i picked up the glider & made a mental pre-launch check. Remembering that i had already hooked in previously --
i deleted the, "lift the glider" part to check for tension on the harness.
and signaled for the driver to GO !!
http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=17330
Take your flying--seriously--OR....
Bille Floyd - 2010/05/26 03:27:41 UTC

After hitting the ground I looked down at where my feet should be and knew it was Bad - then I looked back at my Mom and sighed. I wasn't going to be taking care of her any more.
http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=4046
Accident Report
Doug Koch - 2007/10/20 15:42:57 UTC
Las Vegas

The impact broke both legs at the ankles and drove his shin bones out the bottom of his feet six inches.
Find EITHER OF THEM in a subsequent unhooked launch discussion advocating hook-in checks of any kind.
I know that's what I would want, if it happened to me.
It happened to Jeremiah and Arlan instead of you. How much are you doing to keep this from happening to someone else? Not as much of a priority for you 'cause it wasn't you who slammed in?
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

Christian Williams - 2005/09/16 16:42:43 UTC

Just bear in mind the long tradition in aviation of not jumping to conclusions about accidents. It's not really respect for the dead, since most aviation accidents are pilot error anyhow. It has more to do with the fact that first impressions are often wrong, and obscure the real issues.
Totally with ya there, Christian.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/flyhg/message/17223
Pilot's Hotline winter flying
Mark Frutiger - 2013/02/03 13:41

Yesterday was a light and variable day with expected good lift. Zach was the second tow of the afternoon. We launched to the south into a nice straight in wind. A few seconds into the tow I hit strong lift.

Zach hit it and went high and to the right. The weak link broke at around 150 feet or so and Zach stalled and dropped a wing or did a wingover, I couldn't tell. The glider tumbled too low for a deployment.
http://ozreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=30971
Zach Marzec
Mark Frutiger - 2013/02/08 19:12:21 UTC

Zack hit the lift a few seconds after I did. He was high and to the right of the tug and was out of my mirror when the weak ling broke. The load on the tug was not excessive as with a lockout, but I was not surprised when the weak link broke. I was still in the thermal when I caught sight of Zack again. I did not see the entry to the tumble, but I did see two revolutions of a forward tumble before kicking the tug around to land. The thermal was still active in the area that I had just launched from so I did a go round and landed on a runway 90 degrees cross to the direction we were towing in.
http://ozreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=30971
Zach Marzec
Paul Tjaden - 2013/02/07

Apparently, Zach simply hit strong low level turbulence, probably a dust devil that could not be seen due to the lack of dust in Florida, the nose went too high and he tumbled at a very low altitude.

Strong dust devils in Florida definitely do exist even though they are rare. My wife had a near miss when she encountered a severe dusty a couple years ago and I almost lost a brand new $18,000 ATOS VX when it was torn from its tie down and thrown upside down.

I wish I could shed more light on this accident but I am afraid this is all we know and probably will know. Zach was a great guy with an incredible outlook and zest for life. He will be sorely missed.
See the way the first impression of the guy towing Zack was that there was a sustained smooth monster thermal streaming out of the Quest field and the weak link break dumped Zack into a fatal tumble? And then after five days of careful, rational, painstaking analysis of the situation Paul, unbiased and untainted by any experience of having been part of or witnessing the events determined that what Mark and Zack actually encountered was probably an invisible dust devil and the violent turbulence was probably what doomed the glider?

I think the horrific fatality rate we experienced in the mid to late Seventies was almost entirely a consequence of accident reports based upon facts.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

Martin Henry - 2005/09/17 00:19:35 UTC

For those who are interested in how complex an accident investigation can be, you want to watch out for a broadcast of a program called "The Nature of Things" and the episode involving Swiss Air flight 111 (I believe Nova ran the program last year).

http://www.cbc.ca/natureofthings/show_swissair.html

Well in there is little to compare when it comes to the complexities of the Swiss Air crash and our tandem crash, it gives very good insight into the fundamentals of how things "happen".

While the program deals mainly with the science of crash investigations, it did a very good job of conveying the emotions and feelings that surround such a tragic occurrence.
Jeff Shapiro - 2005/09/22 15:19:53 UTC

Hey everyone,

Just wanted to shed some light on the student that was tragically killed with Arlen in the Hang Glide Chicago accident. His name was Jeremiah Thompson and he was the best kind of guy and will be sorely missed. He grew up in Missoula, Mt and excelled in school and athletics. He went on to earn a Masters degree in mathmatics and was on his way to a PHd in theoretical physics when he decided to join the .com world and write programs for a investment (Hedge) investment group. He was a incredibly talented skiier and was the captain of his college ski team and proudly earned himself a spot on the U.S. ski team. He was also a very talented and accomplished surfer and surfed all over the world. We had a conversation over a scotch about 3 months ago in which I suggested that he learn how to H.G. and should look up Arlen. I am an instructor and tandem instructor and have very mixed feelings regarding the loss of both my friend and a fellow instructor. Jeremiah understood the risks in life and never has had regrets regarding any of the activities he participated in. His mother and father are also very dear to me and I would love to be able to explain the technical aspects of the crash that killed thier son. They (nor I) are looking for blame, just answers. If someone could give me any info on whether this was a low level lock out or something else, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks everyone and fly safe.
Just wanted to shed some light on the student...
Passenger. Read Davis's title for the thread.
...that...
Who.
...was tragically...
Predictably.
...killed...
Murdered.
...with Arlen...
Arlan.
...in the Hang Glide Chicago accident.
Crash.
His name was Jeremiah...
Jerimiah. No, sorry, you got that one right. I've just gotten really used to seeing it spelled the other way.
...Thompson and he was the best kind of guy and will be sorely missed.
Not by the hang gliding "community" he won't. He never got to graduate much beyond the status of total unknown.
He grew up in Missoula, Mt and excelled in school and athletics. He went on to earn a Masters...
Master's.
...degree in mathmatics...
Mathematics.
...and was on his way to a PHd...
PhD.
...in theoretical physics...
THEORETICAL physics? GAWD! What was he doing in hang gliding? Shoulda been going for a PhD in Opinion.
...when he decided to join the .com world and write programs for a investment (Hedge) investment group.
Which without the (Hedge) in the middle would be an investment investment group.
He was a incredibly talented skiier...
Skier.
...and was the captain of his college ski team and proudly earned himself a spot on the U.S. ski team.
And on the runway overshoot at Hang Glide Chicago.
He was also a very talented and accomplished surfer and surfed all over the world. We had a conversation over a scotch about 3 months ago...
Right around the one year anniversary of the Hang Glide Chicago Mike Haas fatality. Were you sober enough to discuss anything on that one or did you just focus on all the positive stuff? The track record tows that HADN'T ended in fatal crashes?
...in which I suggested that he learn how to H.G. and should look up Arlen.
An excellent choice - seeing as how the chances of TWO fatal AT crashes at the same operation in consecutive seasons should be totally microscopic.
I am an instructor and tandem instructor...
Jeff Shapiro - 62044 - H5 - 2007/02/01 - Karl Hallman - AT FL PL ST TFL AWCL CL FSL RLF TUR XC - ADV INST, INST ADMIN, TAND INST
Like THESE:

37-23223
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3713/9655904048_89cce6423a_o.png
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-bRrpHNa68iY/UQ6Pv9gRZyI/AAAAAAAAjTg/Hc22bx5122Q/s2048/20943781_BG1.jpg

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-9Ek9_lFeSII/UZ4KuB0MUSI/AAAAAAAAGyU/eWfhGo4QeqY/s1024/GOPR5278.JPG
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-Xh_NfnOcUns/UZ4Lm0HvXnI/AAAAAAAAGyk/0PlgrHfc__M/s1024/GOPR5279.JPG

guys?
...and have very mixed feelings regarding the loss of both my friend and a fellow instructor.
Whom you should've known was totally incompetent were not you yourself totally incompetent.
Jeremiah understood the risks in life...
BULLSHIT. This had ABSOLUTE *SHIT* to do with "the risks in life" and EVERYTHING to do with incompetence and negligence.
...and never has had regrets regarding any of the activities he participated in.
I one hundred percent guarantee you he was having HUGE regrets watching the ground rush up at the end of his participation in THIS activity.
His mother and father are also very dear to me and I would love to be able to explain the technical aspects of the crash that killed thier son.
- First work on getting competent in grade school English and the ability to run spellcheck software.

- Too bad you didn't get your shit together on the technical aspects of hang glider towing enough to be able to tell Jeremiah not to do it. If you've EVER read ANY Hewett era and beyond mainstream text on hang glider towing and not recognized it as total rot you're a total moron.

- But what the hell...

-- Gary Solomon - the uncertified and incompetent tug driver - outclimbed the glider.

-- The glider nosed up in an attempt to get into proper position.

-- Gary just continued to outclimb the now dangerously mushing glider.

-- The rope broke.

-- The glider went down like a fuckin' brick - same way Seventies gliders used to go down like fuckin' bricks before Donnell determined that rope breaks were GOOD things.
They (nor I) are looking for blame, just answers.
- You need a "Neither" at the beginning of that sentence in order for it to make some kind of sense.

- We NEED to be looking for BLAME. There is ALWAYS incompetence and/or negligence involved when something like this happens and there are ALWAYS issues with the chain of command controlling the ratings, authorizations, equipment, SOPs.

- How 'bout reading the fucking USHGA SOPs and FAA aerotowing regulations for starters? The front end weak link is REQUIRED to be heavier than the back end weak link. It WASN'T. Let's start dealing with that - like nobody has been so far.
If someone could give me any info on whether this was a low level lock out or something else, I would greatly appreciate it.
- Whatever it was it was a 250 foot whatever and that's not particularly low level.

- Who really gives a rat's ass whether or not it was a lockout? You take off with a piece of shit Quallaby release within easy reach you already got killed in a lockout for the purpose of the exercise - as was so graphically illustrated at Hang Glide Chicago on 2004/06/26. If somebody:
-- drives without a seatbelt you don't worry about whether or not he flew out through the windshield in a crash
-- refuses to do hook-in checks you don't worry about whether or not he ended up as a lifeless heap on the rocks two hundred feet below the ramp

- The glider was flying dangerously slowly. That's really all we need to know. Didn't really matter whether or not he was flying behind an incompetent bozo on a tug. The glider could've have been killed just as dead just free flying that slowly at 250 feet if the right kind of air had come along.
Thanks everyone and fly safe.
Fuck you. Hang glider towing has been a battlefield of nonstop raging controversy ever since Donnell came along with all of his snake oil and thousands of people swallowed it. You haven't bothered to participate in a single discussion to help get two plus two equal to four and you sent this kid off to his death.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

Davis Straub - 2005/09/22 15:48:38 UTC

We are waiting for the accident report.
Yeah, we know that Davis. The fact that no report has been posted is pretty good evidence that we're still waiting for it.

But while we're waiting for it perhaps you can explain WHY we're waiting for it. I'm trying to think of a hang gliding crash - anything from a slightly bowed downtube to a double fatality - that required anything over about 45 seconds to thoroughly understand and nothing's coming to me.
Jeff Nielsen - 2005/10/08 00:12:33 UTC

Law Suit

After reading Jeff Shapiro plead for information for the family and now seeing this lawsuit, is there much doubt as to what is going on?
Not by me.
Jeff was begging for answers and knows the family but not a word said that we know of? If no answer is ready, how does one know: 1) what reasonable time might something like this take? 6 months? 6 years? 100 years?
You forgot 45 seconds, which is about all that's ever needed, and never, which is what we usually get.
2) who is in charge to keep a family updated as to what is going on?
T** at K*** S******.
3) where would one find an official report when it is done...
In the shredder.
...and how would they know it's complete?
When everyone gives up and stops talking about it.
4) how does one access that report when it is done?
The paper strips go into the incinerator and you can breathe it.
Did the family get these answers?
Yeah. The send the family a legitimate one. Not the kinda crap they publish for our consumption. Basically all the stuff that gets redacted from what gets published.
If I lost a loved one and no information were forthcoming, I would be pretty upset too. I would want some type of answers even if it's "no one knows for sure but here are some of the possibilities...
Pushed out hard enough to release and continued to push out after release.
There is no evidence that the pilot made an attempt to release from tow prior to the weak link break, the gate was found closed on the Wallaby-style tow release.
Always perform a full and complete hang check just prior to launching.
No, you don't get an accident report.
During the launch, at an altitude of 150 AGL, the pilot encountered an invisible bullet thermal which pitched the nose up, causing the weak link to break. Upon the breakage of the weak link, the glider whip stalled and then tumbled twice. The pilot and glider's leading edge hit the ground simultaneously. The pilot was utilizing his own pro-tow style tow harness, this own high performance glider with VG on, and was not wearing a full face helmet.
...and we will know more in 3 months most likely."
Think of a scenario in which more in three months is known than what is known in three minutes. These are hang gliders INVARIABLY crashing at launch or in the vicinity of the LZ with lotsa witnesses - not passenger jets suddenly disappearing from the radar out in the middle of the Atlantic. When stuff isn't reported that evening it's because the people running the show don't want anybody knowing and understanding what happened.
I am totally frustrated by this entire process.
See how well they're doing their jobs?
This very well may hurt hanggliding in a big way.
MAY? Shit like this has totally destroyed hang gliding.
It "seems" that the process has much to be desired.
Don't worry, the Davis caliber scum running this show will make sure it keeps getting worse.
Maybe I shouldn't say that ... just what is the process? Anyone know?
Yeah, it's fuck you and protect the perpetrators.
Does USHGA handle this?
Obviously.
Perhaps I should just say that I am frustrated at all of this.
Try getting infuriated by all of this. Try going to war against the sleazy motherfuckers who keep getting away with all of this.
http://ozreport.com/9.205
Lawsuit re Arlan
The family steps in
Gerard Farell Baril

It's getting uglier:
Chicago Sun-Times - 2005/10/06

Family's suit seeks answers in deadly hang-gliding crash

Steve Patterson - Staff Reporter

Four weeks after a horrific hang-gliding crash killed two people in LaSalle County, one victim's family is demanding answers.

Jeremiah Thompson was killed Sept. 3 while on a tandem hang glider, learning the hobby from Arlan Birkett, owner of Sheridan-based Hang Glide Chicago.

An airplane towed the hang glider into the air, with plans to reach 3,000 feet before the cable was released and their tandem hang glide began, an attorney said.

But two hundred feet into that ascent, the cable snapped, and the hang glider plummeted to the ground, smashing to pieces and instantly killing Thompson and Birkett.

On Wednesday, Thompson's family filed a negligence lawsuit against the company, demanding unspecified damages but also hoping to find out how the crash happened.

"They're two hundred feet in the air, and while normally they would glide to the ground, this hang glider nose-dived to the ground," attorney Matthew Rundio said. "We need to find out why that happened."

Rundio is now collecting witness accounts of the crash, including a possible videotape of it happening.

Thompson's family said, in his obituary, that he died in "the last of a series of lessons" with Birkett.

Birkett, 47, had been hang gliding since 1987, according to his obituary, and was certified by the U.S. Hang Gliding Association as an advanced hang-glider pilot and as a tandem instructor.

Thompson, 32, was a Montana native who came to Chicago to work as a computer programmer at Epiphany Capital Management.

In his obituary, his family said he was a member of the U.S. ski team and was nominated as a Rhodes Scholar before graduating from Dartmouth College.
I doubt that a lawsuit will provide better answers to how their son died.
It certainly won't provide any WORSE answers than we've been getting since the early Nineties. Bring them on.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

Pete Anderson - 2005/10/08 01:21:27 UTC

Lawsuits

Now that an attorney has stepped in, generally the lawyers between the two parties will negotiate a settlement, if there's money, or court, if there's a lot of money.

During this time frame, voluntary information given to the family from other sources regarding the accident would indeed give insight to the grieving party, but it would also damage the defense for the hang gliding business, or Arlan's estate.
GOOD.
Its a sensitive subject because everyone wants to help...
Bullshit.
...and everyone misses the student and the instructor.
A guy who can't get a tandem glider to release altitude in glassy evening air without killing two people is NOT an INSTRUCTOR.
Both great people.
No. Arlan might have been a friendly, generous, nice person but as for as running a hang gliding operation was concerned he was a negligent incompetent motherfucker.
But now its about the money. Its about indemnification.
- You think that's unreasonable?

- It's also about finding out what the fuck happened. You saw how frustrated and angry regular hang gliding Joe's were getting at the arrogant evasive bullshit Davis and his anonymous pigfucker buddies were pulling? How many times do you think we need to multiply that to get the feelings of his family? A hundred? A thousand?
As an owner of a hang gliding school, I am very concerned about the legal outcome of this incident.
Didn't seem too concerned about the PHYSICAL outcome of that incident - this is your first comment on it.
I've got one lesson on the training hill tomorow morning...
Where you WILL teach foot landing but WON'T teach hook-in checks.
...and a tandem and a high altitude lesson in the afternoon. I do this not for the money, but for the love of the sport.
If you REALLY loved the sport you'd have wanted to have seen it cleaned up. The incident in which Mike Haas was killed and Joe Gregor's / USHGA's report on it where absolute outrages. Where the fuck were you? Busy teaching foot landings on the training hill?
Hence, I can't justify purchasing liability insurance in the event I pound in tandem...
Are you wheel landing? I've never seen a wheel landed tandem so much as dip its nose a degree after touchdown?
...or if a student lands on a freeway, high tension wires, or simply slamms into the mountain.
If one of your students does any of the above you deserve to be sued out of existence.

If a few years down the road he blows a low altitude loop or breaks his neck trying to land in a narrow dry riverbed with large rocks strewn all over the place then maybe he's somebody else's problem.
My only protection is my 3 page waiver that all my students sign. This isn't enough, especially when the party that signs it is deceased.
Your best protection is becoming thoroughly competent in hang gliding and doing the best possible job you can making your students at least as competent as you are.
Yes, its a tragic accident.
Bullshit. Anybody who believes that has no fuckin' business FLYING - let alone TEACHING - hang gliding.
But what is more tragic is now its about the money, IMO.
Fuck you and your opinion, IMO.
As one well known hang gliding instructor told me who has been teaching forever, "the best way to protect yourself is don't own anything of any value."
Compare/Contrast with what I just told you.
Hangglide-utah.com
Peter CJ Anderson - 45031 - H4 - 1987/12/28 - David Wiese - AT PL AWCL CL FSL RLF TUR XC - Expired: 2009/06/30
Davis Straub - 2005/10/08 01:26:22 UTC

You can contact Peter Birren: <email> and/or Joe Gregor <email> and/or <email> and/or <email> and/or the guy who I heard was writing the report: <email>
One guy with a name who's a total fucking douchebag, one guy with a name who's a total waste of space, three guys with no names. Fuck that.
Accident reports can easily take six months.
Yeah, we all know that, Davis. They can take centuries. We also all know that any effort done beyond the day of the incident will be totally geared toward spin and obfuscation.
Personally if lawyers were involved I wouldn't be doing any accident report myself.
- Personally, if you and/or any of the scum what's on speaking terms with you is involved in an accident report I'd just go through it line by line and change as many words as possible to their opposites.

- Of course not, Davis. That would be like if you saw a glider overshoot the beach and go down in the surf. Attempting to rescue him would involve a risk to yourself. Remaining on your beach blanket and watching other people take the risks of a rescue attempt or just watching him drown would involve no risk to yourself. No brainer.

- Meaning that if you had critical information that could prevent one of our living international treasures like Bobby Fucking-Genius Bailey, Steve Exceptionally-Knowledgeable Wendt, Jim Keen-Intellect Rooney or...

7-14522

...some cute little kid tandem rider from getting crippled or killed you'd sit on it. Yeah Davis, that's been pretty fucking obvious over the course of your entire hang gliding career.

- And, fucking OBVIOUSLY, *ANY* accident report will be available to lawyers - today, tomorrow, next week, next month, next year, fifteen years from now... So, fucking OBVIOUSLY...

http://www.ushawks.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1081
Platform towing /risk mitigation / accident
Sam Kellner - 2012/07/03 02:25:58 UTC

No, you don't get an accident report.
What a total sociopathic piece o' shit.
---
2014/08/05 16:45:00 UTC

Something weird with the zeros and ones going on here. This and the previous post have identical time stamps. Steve alerted me to a duplication of text and a couple of posts and I got majorly derailed checking, fixing, proofreading, trying to figure out what the hell happened. Figured it was a mistake I'd made but it looks like something got corrupted. When I search my posts 6378 and 6379 are listed in reverse order.

Oh well, I didn't lose any work and everything - 'cept at least one accurate time stamp - is restored.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

Jeff Nielsen - 2005/10/08 01:51:23 UTC

Law Suit

Yeah, I wonder if it's always about money. I bet his parents are more angry than they are thinking about money ... in this case.
Ya think?
But you are right, most of the time, it's about money.
There is no MOST OF THE TIME. Most of the time somebody launches unhooked, blows a cliff launch, breaks his neck in or near the LZ practicing his spot no-steppers, blows a loop, and just ceases to exist. There aren't enough lawsuits by family members to provide a basis for making generalizations.
Jeff P...
Who's Jeff P? Jeff Shapiro?
...may have been giving us some insight into what may be going on. I am not a letigous type person...
Obviously not. You'd have a clue how to spell it if your were.
...but if I "thought" that information was being withheld...
It fuckin' obviously is. Just how long do you think the fact that Gary Solomon wasn't certified as a tug pilot was gonna go unnoticed?
...or even that no one "seemed" to care...
People care, alright. Rest assured of that. Not what they SHOULD be caring about, of course, but nevertheless...
...I might change my tune also (and I am NOT saying this is what happened...
Relax. It's exactly what's happening.
...but to someone on the outside, it may look that way).
It quacks like a duck because it is a duck.
This is difficult no matter what.

I do medicine and we have the same issues ... if something goes wrong, do you call the patient or not? Regardless of what you do, it seems wrong or it might go against you. Generally, our risk department recommends, "do what you feel is right."
USHGA's does the precise opposite.
To me, the right thing is to make that call, be yourself, and show true compassion... If I risk showing my hand or coming off as a fake, well at least I tried to do what I think is right ... which is show compassion and concern for someone who is going through hell with the loss of a loved one. It may be stupid in the end, I don't know.
But not showing your hand? Show TRUE compassion but don't admit hooking up the tubes backwards?
In this case, Jeff P was making that call. I would bet money that he came up empty handed. It's doubtful that the family learned anything from anyone ... just as I have experience to date. I am sure the family is very angry with us as a whole.
Yeah. "We" deserve to be sued out of existence and a lot of "us" deserve to go to prison. That would do wonderful things for the sport on a global scale.
(Don't get me wrong, I am not blaming anyone here or saying that someone did something wrong.
Perish the thought. Nobody in this sport ever dies because anybody else is a sleazy, incompetent, corrupt motherfucker.
I just think that as a culture and because of the way the "law" has influenced us...
Not to mention the scum that's hijacked control of the sport.
...our processes of getting information to people about accident and injury are lacking on the human side?)
And any and every other side you care to mention.
Thanks for listening.
Jeff Nielsen - 2005/10/08 01:58:58 UTC
Davis Straub - 2005/10/08 01:26:22 UTC

Personally if lawyers were involved I wouldn't be doing any accident report myself.
No kidding and doesn't that suck. No doubt those people will be dragged into court at their own expense. It make me worry about posting here. Is this discoverable? My heart sinks about all of this on many levels. :-/
One more rat swimming from the shaky hang gliding ship to the safe and secure Davis ship.
Brian McMahon - 2005/10/08 06:31:36 UTC

Considering the liability waivers you have to sign I seriously doubt a lawsuit will go anywhere. I'm sure this lawyer isn't working a contingency case, the family is paying for it. Unless they discover that it was a murder or foul play involved somewhere, they are simply wasting everybody's time.
It was obviously ALL murder and foul play. If it weren't then how come the motherfuckers supposedly investigating this one have kept everything locked down like Fort Knox? Locking everything down like Fort Knox wasn't a response to the lawsuit - the lawsuit was a response to everything being locked down like Fort Knox.
Bringing a lawsuit just makes the situation that much more tragic.
Lessee...

- All you assholes scream for information so you can understand what went wrong.

- You don't get any information so you have no idea what went wrong. (Again, at Hang Glide Chicago, for the second time in two seasons.)

- But a lawsuit brought by the victim's family against Hang Glide Chicago makes the situation that much more tragic because whatever went wrong couldn't possibly have been the fault of Hang Glide Chicago 'cause nobody in hang gliding has ever done anything wrong or even capable of ever doing anything wrong.