2005/09/03 AT crash

General discussion about the sport of hang gliding
Tad Eareckson

2005/09/03 AT crash

Post by Tad Eareckson »

I have a lot of old files with scraps of information from significant events in the history of this crappy sport that caught my eye at the time but which I failed to document very well. Real pain when in later years I realize what important pieces of puzzles they are and have no freakin' clue as to the sources. Congratulations to Davis Dead-On Straub for having the foresight to lock his forum down and shield it from the eyes of former contributors aware of the shit he likes to pull, members of the public with interests in learning what they can about hang gliding, and all search engines.

The 2005/09/03 tandem aerotow crash at Cushing Field / Hang Glide Chicago which fatally inconvenienced Arlan Birkett, the owner and Kolb tug driver at the time Mike Haas was fatally inconvenienced in a similar manner fourteen months and eight days prior, and his student/victim Jeremiah Kaiwiki Thompson with Gary Solomon, who, thankfully, wasn't inconvenienced, at the front/high end of the string on the same tug was extremely problematic for USHGA and a lot of other people - seeing as how there were hardly any USHGA and FAA regulations that WEREN'T being grotesquely violated.

A few days ago I stumbled across:

http://ozreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=865
Tandem pilot and passenger death

Fuckin' gold mine. The source of lotsa my orphaned snippets and a wealth of tons of incriminating statements that hadn't registered back in my days of relative innocence before I realized that everything I'd been seeing for at least the previous dozen years was a component of a vast Ponzi scheme.

I have information on this one scattered all over Kite Strings but it deserves a thread of its own to consolidate and tie everything together. So here goes...
Davis Straub - 2005/09/04 12:35:11 UTC

I received this tonight:

I just received a call from the wife of an Illinois hang glider pilot with terrible news: Arlan Birkett and an unidentified student/passenger died in a tandem hang gliding accident at Cushing Field, IL at about 7 pm tonight.
- I'm glad you told us:
I received this tonight:
before elaborating that:
I just received a call...
That would've been most confusing without the clarification.

- How come neither the wife nor the Illinois hang glider pilot have names? Don't non sociopaths tend to be more open with that kind of information?

- Isn't it wonderful that they called the most important and trusted name in hang gliding instead of just broadcasting information on the web where just any one of us muppets could have access to it!

- "TERRIBLE" news? Just a couple more guys getting killed at an AT operation. Not "GREAT" news, for sure... But let's not go nuts with the superlatives.

- Oh. You don't know whether he was a student or a passenger but you title the thread: "Tandem PILOT and PASSENGER death". Probably just some wacko bucket lister who panicked and grabbed the controls and stupidly caused the death of an tow park operator and all around great guy.

- I didn't think it was legal to take "passengers" for rides on tandem gliders. I thought all tandem flights were "instructional" and all second parties were "students".

- "7 pm tonight" as opposed to "7 pm this morning".

http://ozreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=25015
Zippy pounds in
Davis Straub - 2011/09/02 18:37:09 UTC

Concussions are in fact very serious and have life long effects. The last time I was knocked out what in 9th grade football. I have felt the effects of that ever since. It changes your wiring.
Tad Eareckson

Re: 2005/09/03 AT crash

Post by Tad Eareckson »

Squeakygeek - 2005/09/07 17:02:19 UTC

yikes

I just joined the University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign hang gliding club. Me, a friend of mine, a few other new club members, and club president Craig were planning on driving up there sunday morning, the very next day after the accident.
It wasn't an accident, Squeaky.
We were all scheduled for our first tandem flights (except for Craig, of course).
Sounds like a pretty savvy guy. No wonder he's president.
We were going to camp out at the air field and have a barbicue. Arlan was supplying hot dogs and burgers.
Yeah, that would've more than compensated for the total crap equipment he was about to put you up on.
Seemed like a great guy...
All these guys do. Me... I seem like a total asshole. But I wouldn't have gotten myself and my student killed. Also wouldn't have gotten Mike Haas killed.
...but I didn't get a chance to meet him.
Bummer!
Anyway, this accident has scared the shit out of me, because it could have been one of us in that glider.
Faggot.
Maybe someday I will give gliding another shot... but not any time soon.
Good. Stay home were you belong and play checkers with the other faggots.
The only info in the local papers is that the student pilot was in his 30's (exact age was given, but I don't remember)...
Thirty-two. Died doing what he loved.
...and that there was some kind of glider malfunction at takeoff at about 250 feet.
Power failure. Abrupt loss of maybe three hundred pounds of thrust with the glider at a high angle of attack. Looks like THIS:

when it happens to a tug. When it happens to a glider it's known as an "inconvenience", "manageable situation", and/or "pilot error".
It said the accident is still under investigation, so I'm sure we'll hear more.
You will but what you hear will be more and more shredded and layered with bullshit. Gotta understand that all hang glider crash investigations are geared towards obfuscating the actual causes and dumping as much blame and responsibility as possible on the lowest ranking victims.

By the way... Did you read this one?:

http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=1245
bad tow
T.B. - 2007/01/17 03:08:33 UTC

OK..As an aerotow pilot i had one really bad tow...(thought i'd share it and see if i'm not alone)..

Just got my new glider..(Horizon ET April 2005)..Started flying in 2004 at Hang Glide Chicago (Arlan Birkett..Instructor....Some of you may have known him)

Anyway the glider was a brand new model.(Arlan had placed the order before it was released by North Wing)...When it finaly showed up Arlan flew it a couple of times to find the tow point on it , after that i flew it a few times in smooth air (not a problem)

So then i take it up mid day and had fantastic flights (hour long ...first flight 5 miles out and return)..But then one week later , I set up and get ready to take a tow in the morning , At this point i haven't really used my VG as it was something i could mess with later after i got a good feel for the wing , I set up the glider as i have done before , but on the gliders down tube the VG line is routed through ruber back end of the down tube , this i've noticed before and so i wraped my release velcro on loosely (otherwise you can't use the VG).

I get the glider set up as allways, put it on the dolly, got in my harness,hooked up to the tug and gave the magic words GO GO GO ....We took off, lifted off the dolly and started following the tug up...at around 200 ft i noticed that the glider wasn't climbing very good (tug too high and i don't have the bar pulled in at all)

I decided to stick with the tow anyway , at around 700 ft i decide to push out and see if i can get it to climb..(we used a Kolb not a Dragon Fly) at the same time the tug is turning sharply left , no climb ,no responce to roll the glider decides to bank hard right on it's own,,(i am high up on the left) Image I reach to hit the release and accidently push the release on the outside of the down tube "shit" at this point i was at a bank angle of about 75 dg still high up on the left (thank god for secondary). When i pulled the secondary the glider was at 90dg , i kept the bar pulled in and followed through the turn loosing 350 ft almost instantly.. (glad i had the altitude).

When i landed one of the pilots on the ground told me "I was 100% shure you were going to go inverted"..Tug pilot landed and asked me "what happened" , I explained it and he said "well it was partly my fault I was flying too slow".

Then i looked over my glider and noticed that the right side wire fitting was turned downwards ..(making the right flying wire slightly shorter than the left), This is what caused the turn . (I learned..Preflight, Preflight,Preflight)
That incident occurred around five months prior to the double inconvenience everybody's talking about. And no, the flipped cable fitting subtracted a little bit of dihedral and made the glider a little more roll unstable - but it did nothing to put it in a turn.

When tugs climb out on gliders...

06-01602
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3826/11414264713_1fa67f5689_o.png

...bad things...

42-05328
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7309/11414153476_3ca8cc4036_o.png

...tend to happen to the plane that's trying to compensate.

47-05508
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7353/11414310093_ddeecbcbfa_o.png

How 'bout this one:?
2004/06/26 14:00 - Mike Haas - 53 - H4 - Litesport 147 - Kolb, Arlan Birkett, 46, H4, Advanced Tandem Instructor, AT Administrator - W 5 mph, thermally - Hang Glide Chicago, Cushing Field, Sheridan, Illinois
Joe Gregor - 2004/09

The weak link broke after the glider entered a lockout attitude. Once free, the glider was reportedly too low (50-65 feet AGL, estimated) to recover from the unusual attitude and impacted the ground in a steep dive. The pilot suffered fatal injuries due to blunt trauma. There is no evidence that the pilot made an attempt to release from tow prior to the weak link break, the gate was found closed on the Wallaby-style tow release.
Add these things together. How do they smell?
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

Amdemma - 2005/09/07 18:11:03 UTC

I too was planning to fly first thing Sunday morning and had contemplated going out to the field Saturday afternoon and camping there. How lucky do I feel right now...I think you can guess that one for yourself!
Yeah, another faggot who should be staying home playing checkers with all the other faggots. Too stupid to understand that we engage in a sport that has risk and that is part of the attraction.
The fact that Arlan is gone has still not really set in. I just cant picture him not being at the field about to take to the skies.
Arlan should've spent a lot more time getting his shit together and a lot less taking to the skies in front of gliders and behind tugs.
I'm a little dazed at the moment as to whether to continue my training...I was nearing going solo.
So was Arlan's last "passenger".
The experience is pretty cool during training and I can only imagine what it would be like to go solo but this really has put a focus on the risk.
When someone clips a treetop at the downwind end of the field and slams in you don't attribute the results to the inherent risks of the sport.
I guess Im better off knowing what can happen but I wish it did not have to come at the expense of my instructor and friend.
It didn't. You need better instructors and friends - even if your instructor and friend WAS a really nice guy.
I may not have know Arlan as well as many or as well as I would have liked but I was looking forward to getting to know him and the adventures that we will now never have together :(
You don't really want adventures in hang gliding - 'specially in hang glider aerotowing. You want things as boring as possible.
Davis Straub - 2005/09/07 18:25:27 UTC

There was most likely not a failure of the glider before the accident.
Nah, it was mainly just another symptom of the whole rotten hang glider towing culture dating back...
Donnell Hewett - 1980/12

Now I've heard the argument that "Weak links always break at the worst possible time, when the glider is climbing hard in a near stall situation."
...near a quarter century and perpetrated by total pieces of shit such as yourself.
The whole issue is being looked at and there is a full court press to make sure that we can learn everything we can from this accident.
Yeah...

http://www.ushawks.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=818
Peter (Link Knife) Birren
Peter Birren - 2011/11/27 02:13:08 UTC

No, I'm not going to comment on Arlan's accident and you really ought to quit as well because neither you nor I were there. The difference is that you have no trouble talking out your ass about that which you know nothing about. I could, however, speculate on several scenarios from having spoken at great length with the tug pilot and eyewitnesses. How many of those at the site did you speak with?
Tad Eareckson - 2011/11/27 05:47:34 UTC
No, I'm not going to comment on Arlan's accident and you really ought to quit as well because neither you nor I were there.
- And yet ANOTHER never fails indicator that you're dealing with someone with a brain half the size of a walnut.

"If you weren't looking up through a telescope while the Columbia broke and burned up during reentry you couldn't POSSIBLY have any idea what went wrong and why."

- ARLAN didn't have an ACCIDENT. Arlan ran a dangerous operation using dangerous equipment out of compliance with USHGA/FAA regulations and got his student killed in the course of a NOTHING, ROUTINE, tandem training flight. The fact that he got killed too was incidental to the real tragedy.
The difference is that you have no trouble talking out your ass about that which you know nothing about.
Yeah dickhead? Then why don't you start telling me what I've got wrong, disgrace me in front of my cult members, and start bringing them back to The True Path of USHGA Righteousness?
I could, however, speculate on several scenarios from having spoken at great length with the tug pilot and eyewitnesses.
Why bother? You weren't there so getting eyewitness accounts could serve no possible purpose in enhancing your understanding of the situation.
How many of those at the site did you speak with?
- Those at the site at the time? NONE.

- So how did what they told you off the record differ from what they put in print?

- In other words, when were they telling the truth and when were they lying?

- What were their reasons for lying and/or suppressing accurate information about the crash?

- What are your reasons for not having publicized your conclusions about why this double killing took place? Did the eyewitnesses swear you to secrecy before whispering their true accounts? Or does USHGA recall your Safety Award if you don't go along with the whitewashes and coverups?

- Ya wanna start by explaining why the front end weak link blew before the glider's - when neither aircraft was in immediate danger - when the Standard Operating Procedures state that it should be a hundred pounds over?

P.S. Bob, you wanna help him out a bit here? Tell that he should just ignore the questions to which the answers will be inconvenient? Show him how to break through walls to extract himself from the corners he's painted himself into? I'm certain he'll be eternally grateful.
Right.
This is all happening right now along with the "official" report.
Oh good. The OFFICIAL...
There is no evidence that the pilot made an attempt to release from tow prior to the weak link break, the gate was found closed on the Wallaby-style tow release.
..."REPORT".
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

Martin Henry - 2005/09/07 22:41:14 UTC
Abbotsford

Davis,
Why are you addressing Davis? Is he more important, qualified, deserving, likely to fix the problem(s) which precipitated this one than the rest of us dregs?
A few years back, after a tandem towing accident...
2002/08/17 - William Allen Woloshyniuk / Victor Douglas Cox
...(where both the pilot and passenger were killed)...
Passenger?
The Vancouver Sun - 2012/04/30
Kelly Sinoski and Tara Carman

No oversight on hang-gliding

There have been other tragedies involving tandem hang-gliding flights.

In 2002, a pilot and student were being towed by an ultralight on a tandem training flight near Fort Langley when the tow line snapped and the glider spiralled out of control.

William Allen Woloshyniuk, 40, of Coquitlam and his student, Victor Douglas Cox, also 40, of Cumberland on Vancouver Island, both fell 300 metres, struck a tree and died.
I was under the impression he was STUDENT.
I worked with our Regional Coroners office investigating what went wrong.
Stronglink - OBVIOUSLY. An appropriate weak link keeps the glider from getting into too much trouble. This glider got into too much trouble so the conclusion is inescapable.
The experience was a real eye opener. The investigation of a crash is a very complex and unpleasant business (And I have to admit, has effected my personal view of our sport ever since).

My recommendations to the community closest to this accident is to make sure a technically competent individual steps forward and insist that they be included in the local authorities investigation.
Well yeah, but the most technically competent individual in that community went down with the glider. Poses something of a problem, doesn't it?
Sad, but true, local authorities, some very well meaning can ruin an investigation.
Before a technically competent individual from the community can step in and ruin it to the best advantage of the community.
In my investigation, the police removed the wreckage without someone present that could logically collect evidence from the aircraft. In addition, eye witness reports often disappear into the abyss of police reports, with no one able to correlate and collaborate what actually took place.
How does that compare to what we got on the Terry Mason towing fatality?
You could be sure that if the aircraft was not a "kite" but a powered aircraft they would have treated it differently! The moving of the glider without being properly inspected caused weeks of extra effort just to sort out even the most minor of discrepancies.
How long did it take you to determine that Jon Orders had failed to clip Lenami Godinez-Avila into his tandem glider?
If the parties involved would like to share their findings or ask questions with regards to the incident involving my investigation I would be more than happy to compare notes with them on a confidential level.
Oh. They give you secret valuable potentially lifesaving information about this one and you in turn give them secret valuable potentially lifesaving information on yours. Just don't leak it out to any muppets who have nothing of value to anyone. Sounds reasonable enough.
Davis Straub - 2005/09/07 22:55:01 UTC

The wreckage was inspected and proper conclusions already drawn.
The same kind of proper conclusions that were carefully drawn up in the days following the Zack Marzec inconvenience fatality? That he must've flown into an invisible dust devil and wasn't wearing a full face helmet? Or for the Robin Strid fatality in which it was determined that he wasn't using a light enough weak link in conjunction with his defective Industry Standard release?
The condition of the glider is not to blame.
You sure, Davis? Does that include the powertrain?
Squeakygeek - 2005/09/07 23:11:53 UTC

Do you have any more information?
Davis Straub - 2005/09/08 00:07:35 UTC

Yes.
Don't take that the wrong way, Squeaky. That's just Davis's way of telling you to go fuck yourself.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

Davis Straub - 2005/09/08 00:09:31 UTC
Guy Denney - 2005/09/04 20:02

Arlen Birket

Davis,

As you may know. A double fatality on a tandem glider took the life of Arlen Birket at 7:00PM on 3 Sep. We are all vary sad.
A double fatality on a tandem glider that took the life of Arlan Birkett? Was there anyone else involved or was Arlan killed twice over?
I will be conduct the accident investigation and writing the report. At this time we do not need any guessing about what happened.
Like whether or not there was a student or passenger involved.
We all need answers, I know, But give me some time to complete the report.

Thank you.
Guy Denney
Guy Denney - 70509 - 2015/06/30 - H4 - 1999/09/20 - Jeffrey Hunt - AT FL LGO AWCL CL RLF TUR XC
When you get the report out maybe you could get the spelling of either his first or last name right. Don't knock your self out doing both, however.
A_goldin - 2005/09/08 12:02:21 UTC

Over/under harness

This is probably not a contributing factor in this accident (the altitude was too low anyway), but what bothered me after I saw over/under configuration for the first time is that instructor does not have access to reserve when he is above.
When you see some MORONIC BULLSHIT like THIS:

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7395/13626862385_ae79ba296a_o.png

does it bother you IN THE LEAST...
British Hang Gliding and Paragliding Association Technical Manual - 2003/04

On tow the Pilot in Command must have his hand actually on the release at all times. 'Near' the release is not close enough! When you have two hands completely full of locked-out glider, taking one off to go looking for the release guarantees that your situation is going to get worse before it gets better.
...that what can become the most critically important element of the control system in a heartbeat might as well be on the fuckin' moon? Do you have any fuckin' clue how many deaths we could've prevented by using one of THESE?:

01-1225
http://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7436/13700570583_049b5b7ded_o.png
02-1302
http://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7117/13700891354_b31d51ed74_o.png
03-1304
http://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2938/13700558193_0e0946218e_o.png

Do you realize that these pigfuckers are deliberately equipping their tandem training gliders with these total pieces of shit so they can sell the despicable lie that one hand is plenty to safely control the glider in a low level lockout while you're using the spare hand to effect the easy reach to the bicycle brake lever velcroed onto the downtube over your right shoulder while the glider's snap-rolling onto its left ear?

Do you realize that Mike Haas...
Joe Gregor - 2004/09

There is no evidence that the pilot made an attempt to release from tow prior to the weak link break, the gate was found closed on the Wallaby-style tow release.
...had ZERO chance of either getting off safely before things started getting tits up or staying on when the towline was the only thing keeping him alive?
I learned HG flying side by side tandem (footlaunch), when instructor always has access to reserve. After I moved to flatland and started flying below instructor (to learn aerotow) I just noted this little detail. I am probably not as experienced in throwing reserve as instructor, but I hope (may be without reason) I'd do Ok. Student about to solo is probably Ok as well. I am not that sure about student on his 2nd or 3rd flight.
Fuck the reserve. Maybe if it had been more easily accessible it would've made a difference. Fuck it anyway. We can't afford to be getting into tow situations at ANY ALTITUDE in which our lives may become dependent upon getting a parachute out and sufficiently inflated.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

Davis Straub - 2005/09/08 12:42:43 UTC

Good point.
There was an attempt to throw the chute.
Great! :)
Jim Gaar - 2005/09/08 21:36:39 UTC

Our Instructor can and does practise reaching for the chute in our DD harness.
Sounds like a really great guy! Bet he practices reaching for his release, flying inside the Cone of Safety, recovering from weak link inconveniences too!
He would not fly if he couldn't.
If he couldn't why wouldn't he just limit his tows to two hundred feet - at and below which a parachute is gonna be worth shit anyway?
It's not easy but it is possible. He does have long arms too.
Sounds a bit like the same sorta asshole who's just fine with Quallaby releases, Rooney Links, and pro toad bridles but wouldn't DREAM of flying without a backup loop and locking carabiner.
Martin Henry - 2005/09/09 00:05:13 UTC

Jim,

During the 2002 Fort Langley tandem fatalities investigation, the harness used had an excellent deployment system on DD style of harness. It had both a side mount handle and a top mounted handle.
How would that advantage affect its effectiveness below two hundred feet and/or with a broken spinning glider?
When tested, I was satisfied the function of the system was good.

What we were faced with, when evaluating system was something completely unexpected.

The school used a pilot/instructor command of "my Glider" when the student was to release and remain clear of the control bar. We tested several reactions to that command with a passenger in the bottom of the DD harness and instructor in the top position. Nearly all of the reactions to the command (by the lower pilot) were to tuck their arms into and against the side of the lower harness. This reaction inevitably would place the side mounted handle, at best, out of view, at worst inaccessible.
Sounds like a super way to condition a student to react in an emergency situation as well.
In a calm, on the ground check of accessibility the average pilot would have obviously not fore scene the potential of interference by the lower pilot. The real world of an emergency, many things can and do go wrong.
When you're reaching for a parachute damn near everything that matters that can go wrong already has.
Whether or not this issue was a contributing factor to the deaths involved in the 2002 accident is not known.
Who cares?
What is known is the glider experienced a catastrophic sail failure at an altitude of approximately 1000 ft above the ground.
Great! So how is that information of any practical value?
It could be assumed that this altitude is more than enough to have used, and been saved by the reserve.
Not interested. I don't wanna be flying a glider with a sail on the verge of catastrophic failure even if I know that with lotsa altitude I should have plenty of time to get a chute open.
Evidence at the crash site (deployment bag within 150 yards of the impact point and the chute streamed to length but not deployed) indicated that there was a lengthy delay in using the reserve. The only witnesses who can say what exactly happened did not survive.
Require all tandems to fly with cameras. Damn near all of them do anyway.
To say an instructor regularly practices reaching for the handle may not be a fair and thorough evaluation of the deployment system.
Make sure not to apply that kind of critical thinking to making the easy reach to release actuators with the glider straight and level.
My curiosity is, has there ever been a tandem reserve parachute 'save'?
Manned Kiting
The Basic Handbook of Tow Launched Hang Gliding
Daniel F. Poynter

"A bad flyer won't hurt a pin man but a bad pin man can kill a flyer." - Bill Bennett
"Never take your hands off the bar." - Tom Peghiny
"The greatest dangers are a rope break or a premature release." - Richard Johnson
Further to that, has there ever been a save of a tandem glider that was being towed (aero or winch)?
If you hafta ask the rate is so low it's not worth talking about. And if the rate is so low it's not worth talking about then we've got better things to talk about.
I am sure having a hand deployed system is better than no system...
07-0520
21-0724
26-0902
34-1209
...but perhaps we are fooling ourselves as to its reliability?
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/skysailingtowing/message/7230
Towing question
Martin Henry - 2009/06/26 06:06:59 UTC

PS... you got to be careful mentioning weak link strengths around the forum, it can spark a civil war ;-)
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8394/8696380718_787dbc0005_o.png
Brendon McKenna - 2009/06/26 13:20:41 UTC

Hey Martin,

I have seen the odd discussion about weaklinks here on this list... LOL We definitely don't want to go there!
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-bRrpHNa68iY/UQ6Pv9gRZyI/AAAAAAAAjTg/Hc22bx5122Q/s2048/20943781_BG1.jpg

Totally missed your participation in the Zack Marzec discussions, dude.
Jim Gaar - 2005/09/09 15:39:06 UTC

same

I for one am in favor of the BRS system but it needs to be on a Tandem wing that can handle all the extra weight and still perform.
I'm pretty much totally against anything and everything you're in favor of. Not an absolute perfect strategy but the downsides are too trivial to be worth talking about.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

Martin Henry - 2005/09/09 17:05:50 UTC

Catastrophic sail failures appear on the surface to be rare.
Which is really unfortunate because on the surface they're no big fucking deals.
Our investigation did uncover several probable sail failures of trike configured gliders that in all likelihood suffered sail failures that resulted in fatalities (Trike wings exhibit similar heavy wing loadings that a commercial tandem hang glider would experience). The reality of this type of failure is that there is little hope for survival if a reserve system is not used, or fails.

The Sail/Glider involved in the 2002 accident was a Double Vision, re-fitted with a replacement North Wings sail. The sail was just over three years old and was estimated to have cycled (launch/landing) 900-1100 times with an accumulated air time of approximately 275 to 300 hours.
How much UV time?
The investigation also concluded that the glider (according to the original certification specifications) was being flown 25 pounds over the maximum payload (pilots + harness/reserve + landing gear + additional airframe mods).
Big fuckin' deal. It's designed to pull a coordinated sixty degree roll turn which doubles the loading. Then triple that to get into the ballpark of its certification test loading.
Of course, being that the glider is no longer being manufactured and that the replacement sail was not re-tested to any updated standards would mean the certification of the glider is not valid and used only for reference. Further, there exist no manufacture standards or recommended test procedures to evaluate sail airworthiness.
Mount a ballistic chute, ballast it up to max hook-in, take it up real high, wang the crap out of it. If you're not comfortable doing that then don't take passengers up on it.
Testing of the sail cloth using standardized PG cloth tests yielded results that showed cloth strengths were substantially less than new referenced materials (a few critical areas were as low as 20% of original spec).

I would also like to make the following comment. The 2002 accident investigation concluded that a catastrophic sail failure occurred (this conclusion was based on the flight profile, eye witness reports and physical evidence). Unfortunately, the investigation was unable to conclude what caused the failure.

What is known, the event occurred at or near the departure from the tug.
Which might well put it in the category of inconvenience incident.
The departure from tow was reported (by the tug operator)...
Wouldn't it be a good idea to use PILOTS on those things?
...to be a violent separation.
Oooh... Doesn't sound good...

http://ozreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=30971
Zach Marzec
Mark Frutiger - 2013/02/08 19:12:21 UTC

Zack hit the lift a few seconds after I did. He was high and to the right of the tug and was out of my mirror when the weak ling broke. The load on the tug was not excessive as with a lockout, but I was not surprised when the weak link broke.
See how much damage you can do with a nonviolent separation?
The tug (Moyes)...
You were right. Those things don't have pilots. Sorry.
...suffered a failed vertical pylon on the upper portion of the tug end V bridal, just prior to the tug end weak link failure.
Don't you mean, "BENEFITTED FROM a failed vertical pylon on the upper portion of the tug end V bridal, just prior to the tug end weak link failure." That's EXACTLY what the tow mast breakaway is designed to do.
-A sail failure may have caused a loss of control and a departure from tow.

-A lock-out may have overloaded the sail, resulting in failure and departure from tow.

-A lock-out may have resulted in recoil of the upper spinnaker release; this recoil of hardware may have damaged the sail, resulting in failure and loss of control.
- Got news for ya, dude. The spinnaker shackle doesn't recoil in response to a lockout. It does pretty much the precise opposite. It only recoils upon the termination of the lockout.

- Bullshit. You show me one single fiber of sailcloth that's ever been broken by a recoiling spinnaker shackle on ANY glider using a double loop of 130 pound Greenspot as a weak link. Plus consider that with a front end blow there's gonna be some recoil damping due to the inertia/resistance of the towline.

- But if it was a lockout shouldn't you be asking why the glider pilot wasn't able to blow the spinnaker shackle before the tow mast breakaway kicked in?

- How come you can spell SPINNAKER but not BRIDLE?
With regards to the wing loading...
Wait a minute... How 'bout the elephant here? Everything was going fine until right around the instant that the tow mast breakaway increased the safety of the towing operation.

The tug driver has no fuckin' clue whether or not the glider was locking out in SMOOTH AIR, and we know it was smooth air because the slightest bounce hasn't been mentioned, while the tug was climbing straight and level, and we know it was flying straight and level because the slightest turn hasn't been mentioned, but we can rule out the possibility that he'd outclimbed the glider and the glider was mushing to try to get in position?

The shit hit the fan when the tension peaked.

We know the tensioned peaked at around four hundred pounds towline because idiot fucking Bobby Bailey built his idiot fucking tow mast breakaway to break away at the same tension as his idiot fucking double loop of 130 pound Greenspot tandem standard aerotow weak link.

Something caused the tension to peak and it wasn't a lockout. It was almost certainly the glider trying to mush up to clueless tug driver level.

Tow mast breakaway increases the safety of the towing operation, heavily loaded glider gets inconvenienced into a severe stall, tries to pull out under fairly high G loading, worn out sail disintegrates, Plan C parachute ALMOST has time to open.

All other explanations totally suck compared to that one.
...there is no question, the industry in general, regularly operate tandem gliders well over the manufactures recommended maximum wing loading. Tandem gliders fitted with landing gear for Aerotowing are burdened with a substantial amount of additional hardware. These accessories need to be subtracted from the total payload that the glider is rated for.
Do people need to be told that? If they're breaking the limit they're doing it quite intentionally.
With this in mind, Gliders like the Vision and T2 and Falcons are regularly loaded well in excess of the gliders gross payload.
How 'bout the wangs these tandems almost invariably pull near the ends of their thrill rides? Those things totally dwarf a few over the limit pounds of landing gear and passenger.
Also, aerotow tandems are now being flown with much heavier passengers. Pilots who foot launch would often limit the size and weight of their passengers (out of necessity). With the advent of wheels and aerotowing, passengers that would have been turned away are now being loaded.
Which is another way of saying that rolling tow launches are a hundred times safer than foot launch slope launches.
(I would like to point out that the combined pilot weights involved in the 2002 accident were not unusually heavy, estimated to be 170 pounds per pilot, yet the glider exceeded its maximum wing loading).
It might have exceeded the max hook-in weight but it sure as hell didn't exceed the max certified wing loading.
In addition to the passenger and accessory loads, there is little known about the forces exerted by the towing process in general.
By whom? The average dumb fuck who runs a tandem aerotow operation and teaches that putting weak links on both ends of a bridle doubles the towline tension limit? It's simple vector stuff.

If you've got a five hundred pound glider being pulled straight forward two hundred pounds worth the glider's feeling a resultant of 539 pounds about 22 degrees forward of straight down.
A constant 150 to 200 pound of tow force needs to be considered when looking at the overall loading of the towed glider.
No. What needs to be considered is a safe weak link limit - like one and half Gs - and the gliders max certified operating weight with the worst possible alignment of forces and some turning stress thrown in for good measure. A one and a half G weak link will limit the load on the glider to around three Gs in a worst case scenario.
So, with payload and gross aircraft weight considered, adding a BRS system may be a good idea but will further degrade the payload.
If you think the chances are gonna be greater than one in a hundred thousand that you're gonna need a parachute on any given flight then stay on the fuckin' ground.
My investigation was a real eye opener. This accident encompassed so many factors, the Glider, the pilots, the tow system, the DD harness - all of these factors combined and all had some level involvement in the accident.
But obviously not the most obvious and likely factor: the fuckin' piece o' shit Dragonfly tow mast breakaway. 'Cause then we'd hafta admit that these two guys were killed by one of Bobby Fucking-Genius Bailey's safety devices, Donnell Hewett and his Infallible Weak Link...
Manned Kiting
The Basic Handbook of Tow Launched Hang Gliding
Daniel F. Poynter

"The greatest dangers are a rope break or a premature release." - Richard Johnson
...are totally full o' shit, the fundamental assumptions of safe hang glider towing are absolute rot, the sleazy motherfuckers selling this snake oil - Dennis Pagen, Trisa, Matt, Malcolm, Russell, Bill Moyes, Bobby Fucking-Genius Bailey, Jim Keen-Intellect Rooney, Martin Henry - are serial killers.

Asshole.

P.S. The fact that you're so conspiciously NOT MENTIONING *ANYTHING* about the tow mast breakaway being even the SLIGHTEST of a potential issue or contributing factor is absolutely GLARING evidence that it was the PRIMARY factor.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

Davis Straub - 2005/09/09 17:16:14 UTC

There may have been issues with the sail and shrinkage. There is the possibility that the glider was divergent.
There's also the possibility that there was sabotage by Al Qaeda operatives. What actual evidence do you have that these issues might have been factors?

http://ozreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=30971
Zach Marzec
Jim Rooney - 2013/03/07 18:24:58 UTC

You're the one advocating change here, not me.
I'm fine.

These are only questions if you're advocating change. Which I'm not. You are.

You're the one speculating on Zack's death... not me.
Hell, you've even already come to your conclusions... you've made up your mind and you "know" what happened and what to do about.
It's disgusting and you need to stop.
You weren't there. You don't know.
All you have is the tug pilot report, who himself says he doesn't know... and HE WAS THERE... and he doesn't know.

Ever heard of "Confirmation Bias"?
Because you're a textbook example.
You were out looking for data to support your preconceived conclusion, rather than looking at the data and seeing what it tells you... which is why this is the first time we've heard from you and your gang.

Go back to Tad's hole in the ground.
While you're there, ask him why he was banned from every east coast flying site.
Hey Jim... Where's the outrage at this disgusting exercise in speculation of your friend Davis Dead-On Straub?
I'm working on this.
Oh good. I feel so much better knowing that YOU are being provided with inside information and spearheading the investigation. So tell me all about the special qualifications you have...

http://ozreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=15716
Weak Links
Tad Eareckson - 2009/04/22 14:38:53 UTC

It's why the cables droop instead of being stretched to horizontal.

Yeah, I'm totally cool with Greenspot for pro-tow - for anyone who's gonna be dead from anorexia in a couple of days anyway.
Davis Straub - 2009/04/22 15:00:07 UTC

What are you talking about?
And what does the Golden Gate bridge have to do with anything?
that we muppets don't. Or is it just that you've gotta have been at an around all this plenty long enough to understand what's what and who's who?
Davis Straub - 2005/09/09 17:23:39 UTC

Malcolm has BRS units on the two tandems at Wallaby.
In ADDITION to weak links which, if you fail to maintain the correct tow position (centered, with the wheels of the tug on the horizon), will break before you can get into too much trouble? Sounds like overkill to me.
Bart may have one at Cowboy Up. Not sure there.
Bart...

http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=21033
barrels release without any tension except weight of rope..
Bart Weghorst - 2011/02/25 19:06:26 UTC

I've had it once where the pin had bent inside the barrel from excessive tow force. My weaklink was still intact. The tug pilot's weaklink broke so I had the rope. I had to use two hands to get the pin out of the barrel.

No stress because I was high.
http://ozreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=24846
Is this a joke ?
Bart Weghorst - 2011/08/28 20:29:27 UTC

Now I don't give a shit about breaking strength anymore. I really don't care what the numbers are. I just want my weaklink to break every once in a while.
...really NEEDS one at Cowboy Up. Can you make sure he has one and understands why for me?
250 feet in free dive is a little low for parachute deployment.
Twenty-five in IQ points is a little low to be serving as the self appointed spearpoint of a major incident investigation.
Brian McMahon - 2005/09/09 17:34:00 UTC

If you're only 250 feet up and have to deploy, I'd want a rocket chute for sure. 250 is hardly enough to deploy a regular ram air chute in free fall, let alone a HG reserve system.
Sorry dude, this sounds WAY too much like Marc Fink...

Is this a joke ?
Marc Fink - 2011/08/28 21:11:09 UTC

I once locked out on an early laminarST aerotowing. went past vertical and past 45 degrees to the line of pull-- and the load forces were increasing dramatically. The weaklink blew and the glider stalled--needed every bit of the 250 ft agl to speed up and pull out. I'm alive because I didn't use a stronger one.
I'm OK with a 250 foot weak link - but a 225?
Marc Fink - 2011/08/31 08:11:05 UTC

This all happened in a few seconds--in a lock out the line/bridle will likely be caught in your corner bracket further complicating things. I was actually in the process of reaching for the release and just about to pull it when the weaklink blew. If procedures were amended to "insist" on stronger weaklinks I would simply stop towing.
That's just plain wacko!
Martin Henry - 2005/09/10 17:03:05 UTC

During the 2002 Fort Langley Tandem accident, we looked at the question of glider stability (as it pertained to our tandem glider).

All gliders have a minimum wing loading. On large or Tandem gliders, this minimum wing loading is not only used to determine the minimum weight that the glider needs to have for a pilot to be in control but also the minimum weight that the glider needs to exhibit good trim characteristics (Double Vision for example). Below this minimum, the gliders trim can become an issue.
Define:
- in control
- good trim characteristics
- an issue

Everything's a gradient, there are no clearly definable go/no-go points, and we can get hit with shit - on or off tow - that turns us into passengers.
(The Double Vision manual specifies that the glider must not be flown below its minimum payload)
Fuck the payload. We're taking about stuff being suspended from the hang strap. That - assuming you can exert the muscle necessary to move it - HELPS with control authority. Anything mounted on the frame - like instruments, landing gear, ballistic chute - does the opposite.
The concept is that heavily loaded gliders lift is distributed around the normal hang point. If the glider is under loaded the lift distribution begins to move aft, behind the normal hang point. In this condition, the pilot will (may) experience negative bar pressure at the gliders normal trim position.

This concept is based on the substantial differences that the airframe assumes from a loaded state to an un-loaded state. Not so much a factor on smaller solo gliders but with the flex and give of a big glider you end up with substantial airframe dimensional changes that the potential exist for serious aerodynamic issues.

When we first considered why in our accident the glider descended from 1000 feet without recovery we thought that perhaps something had gone terribly wrong with the stability system on the glider.
Like it did with the powertrain?
(To be clear, in our accident investigation, the gliders pitch stability was compromised because of a sail failure).
(How can you be sure that the glider's sail integrity wasn't compromised because of pitch instability?)
After consulting several experts on glider stability...
Who are these "experts" on glider stability and what do they understand that any halfway intelligent junior high kid can't.
...and the stability as it pertained to a Double Vision with an aftermarket sail the conclusion was, yes during a low G moment the glider may exhibit a poor pitch/trim characteristic. It is also believed that this moment should not have been permanent, eventually the glider would return to a normal loaded stable state.
So you're assuming that we have an intact sail at this point, right?
The potential of a low G moment is minimal. Such a moment could occur during the release from a lock-out or getting dumped in turbulence.
OH! So GETTING DUMPED in turbulence could be a BAD THING - not the mere INCONVENIENCE we've all been lead to believe.

How 'bout getting dumped in nice smooth glassy air? We're still perfectly OK with that, right?
If you're low to the ground, and in a low-G moment, pitch control, in theory, may be very poor.
What's it like in a stall close to the ground?
One very sad fact is if you carefully look at all of the Tandem gliders out there, very few are being flown in a certified configuration (within the criteria that the glider was originally certified).
Hang glider people piss all over just about damn near any other guideline and regulation you can name, so why get all bent out of shape about this one?
Adding landing gear, aftermarket sails, airframe modifications and excessive wing loading are all adding to the question of whether or not a glider is certified.
There is no question. If you're adding so much as a light pair of wheels you're not flying it in the configuration for which it passed certification. Some shit is negligible but if you're using a different sail or flying it beyond either end of the hook-in weight range?

How 'bout flying a glider upright with your hands on the downtubes or using a pro toad bridle? Are issues like those worthy of discussion?
We also have a tendency to overlook that fact that most of our tandem gliders were built to be foot launched and not to be fitted with landing gear and cycled thousands of times off of a runway.
ALL of our tandem gliders were built, marketed, and sold by manufacturers who bloody well knew huge percentages of them would be fitted with landing gear used exclusively for bucket lister thrill rides at runways.
Far too many pilots assume our big old fat tandems are safe.
How 'bout the total fucking assholes thinking it's safe to fly behind a tug with a critical tow mount structure that disintegrates under normal range tow loading?

http://www.chgpa.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3380
Lauren and Paul in Zapata
Lauren Tjaden - 2008/07/21 14:27:04 UTC

Zapata has delivered as promised, day after day with howling winds and good lift, where flights of over 100 miles (and much more) are possible.

Yesterday I chased Paul again. The tow rope weak link broke when Paul locked out and the weak link he got from Tad did not break. Russell said it was about the worst he has ever had his tail pulled around. Anyhow, I would advise against those weak links, though Tad's barrel releases do seem better able to release under stress. After Russell got a new rope and Paul recovered, he was late leaving and got trapped under some cirrus.
1.4 G solo Tad-O-Link doesn't break when it's supposed to and Russell soils himself under the terror. The tow mast gets ripped off the back end of the Dragonfly in smooth air by an in-position tandem glider using an Industry Standard weak link and there's barely a notice or a mention.

GOTCHYA - motherfuckers.
But no one really knows for sure.
Well we're just shit outta luck then, aren't we Martin? Just rolling dice with our lives and those of our students and thrill riders. Totally incapable of duplicating the load, performance, stability tests we did to certify our gliders in the first place.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

Bjorn Hammer - 2005/09/11 23:39:42 UTC

Re. Brad Kushner comment

About Brad Kushner's comment in the Ozreport:
http://www.ozreport.com/9.186
What About The Over/Under Tandem Harness?

I think Brad's comments and analysis were very good. One thing is the information we have from the accident (or the info we do not have), but evaluating and determining the risk of over/under tandem harnesses compared with side-by-side requires additional information. Further, it is a clear destinction between problems related to one specific incident vs. general problems related to a specific design of harness, or anything else.

Brad states that he has a few colleges courses in statistics, and I would claim that he must have done fairly well in these course :D (I am a college lecturer in research design and management research).
Uberdogmax - 2005/09/13 10:44:56 UTC

friend of Jeremiah's

Hi, there. I'm not a hang glider, nor do I know anything about it.
That's OK, damn near all of the people you're talking to are incompetent morons. You'll certainly be at no DISadvantage whatsoever.
It's 3:30 am in Cali, and I'm googling around trying to get info about what happened to my friend, Jeremiah Thompson.
WHO? Oh yeah. The passenger. Please continue.
I'm very sorry your sport has lost someone you are all close to...
Don't worry 'bout it. He died doing what he loved.
...but a whole bunch of us have also lost a great friend in Jeremiah.
Don't worry 'bout that either. Jeremiah also died while Arlan died doing what he loved.
In fact, I'm not nearly as close to him as others I know, and I am still shocked and deeply saddened by his loss. I first met Jeremiah when he was graduating from Dartmouth, and visiting UCSB as a potential PhD student in our Math dept.
Fuck math. We just do opinions here.
I was taken with him instantly and knew he would add great value to the program. Over time, he became a friend. When I think back to the last time I saw JT, it was just like always - we hadn't seen each other in a while, but it didn't matter. I can only imagine what his family, his girlfriend, and his lifelong friends are going through.
Same sorta thing Mike Haas's family, girlfriend, and lifelong friends were going through a bit over fourteen months before that one. But there is no evidence that the he made an attempt to release from tow prior to the weak link break, the gate was found closed on the Wallaby-style tow release. Also no evidence that he made an attempt to stay on tow after the weak link break. This sport ain't for just anybody, ya know.
Jeremiah was one of those people that if he ever touched your life for a moment, you'd remember him forever.
You really DON'T know anything about hang gliding, do ya? That's DEFINITELY not how we operate.
I have yet to fully grasp that he is gone. As I lay here, full of life, with the joy of my twin babies moving inside me, my tears are for Jeremiah.
Just take a tandem flight in his memory next weekend. You'll be fine.
Anyway, amongst the technicalities of what happened, I just wanted to add something about the 'student' who none of you knew.
PASSENGER. Read the title of the fuckin' topic, ferchrisake.
My thoughts are with all of you as well, on the loss of your friend Arlan.
And best o' luck with the coverup.
Davis Straub - 2005/09/13 13:08:07 UTC

Thanks.

It's good to hear about the student also.
Passenger.
Many are working hard to try to understand the reasons for this accident.
While those who DO understand the reasons for this "accident" are working overtime to suppress and obscure them.
James Lawrence - 2005/09/13 16:31:14 UTC

Thank you all for this excellent thread.
Excellent...
Squeakygeek - 2005/09/07 23:11:53 UTC

Do you have any more information?
Davis Straub - 2005/09/08 00:07:35 UTC

Yes.
...relative to WHAT?
I'll be closely watching as it unfolds.
If you'd REALLY been watching it closely as it's unfolded to this point you wouldn't be characterizing it as an "excellent thread".
I add my compassion and condolences to the families and friends (including uberdogmax, thank you for your sensitive and heartfelt post) of the two lost flyers.
One lost flyer and his passenger.
As a new tow rated pilot (I did some towing this weekend at Highland Aerosports in the DC area, excellent operation as Davis has noted)...
Yeah sure, Jim. Remember what I was telling you 'bout Wallaby "releases"? And remember when I went back into the hangar with you and Sunny when you were purchasing one? And remember when Sunny was trying - unsuccessfully - to get it to work and I was saying, "Toldyaso."? Yeah, really classy operation - just as Davis has noted.

Funny none of those classy operators is participating in this discussion, donchya think?
I very much appreciate the information shared here...
It's always the stuff that's NOT being so generously SHARED that's REALLY interesting.
...the excellent reporting on previous accidents, and the desire to share information but also feelings, so we can all understand better not only how to fly as safely and responsibly as possible, but to remember the human factor in what we do, and honor the emotional landscape of those closest to the lost flyers and within ourselves as well.
What planet are you from and how is all this oxygen affecting you?
It's hard to lose good people.
We don't lose a lot of good people in this sport - at least not as a result of crashes. The best people are the ones who DON'T crash - and don't crash their students, passengers, and towees. And, of course, those are the ones nobody listens to 'cause they don't have any experience crashing themselves and their students, passengers, and towees.
It hurts all of us.
Do you REALLY THINK that more than ten percent of the assholes in this sport give the slightest flying fucks about anyone but themselves? 'Specially sociopaths like Trisa, Matt, Davis, Jack, Bob?
It can be frightening.
Doesn't scare me in the slightest. I don't go up on shit equipment behind clueless or worse drivers. Of course that means I don't get much in the way of airtime but sometimes you do things right or you don't do them at all.
It can cause us to rightly question our own risk factors in our flying.
Yeah Jim, this was just another example of sometimes shit happens.
Talking about it here and on other boards is a great therapy in my opinion.
'Course it is. 'Specially after...

http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=14312
Tow Park accidents
Jack Axaopoulos - 2009/11/12 14:49:58 UTC

One of the stated goals of this site is to promote HG. MOST views on this site are NOT from members but from visitors, they have no ignore button.

Having Tad run around every day giving the impression that there is a massive weekly slaughter of pilots at tow parks due to their horribly dangerous devices surely doesnt promote HG. Especially when the safety records are quite excellent.

Like Jim said, theyve gone a decade with no fatalities at their tow park. Pretty damn good I say.

Yet listening to Tad, you would think guys were dying all over the place
He's been nothing but misleading and negative and ignored multiple warnings from me. So He's GONE
http://ozreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=592
Linknife
Davis Straub - 2010/04/03 12:46:26 UTC

Tad is gone.
...after you get rid of all the disagreeable sky-is-falling types.
It starts all of us, who feel a sense of loss, the fervent desire to have more information, and the need to learn so as to keep our own flying happy and safe, on the road to healing.
Go fuck yourself, Jim. Keep your flying happy. Leave it to those of us who fuckin' despise Davis and his enablers and sycophants to work on making it safe.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

Michael Bradford - 2005/09/15 01:41:35 UTC

Matt Taber's speculative analysis in The Oz Report today describes a fact so simple as to be easily overlooked.
SPECULATIVE!!! That's DISGUSTING!

But let's break away anyway and have a look-see...

http://ozreport.com/9.189
Tandem Towing
Matt Taber - 2005/09/14

I have looked into the past east coast aerotow tandem accidents (as they happened)...
1996/07/25 - Bill Bennett / Mike Del Signore
1998/10/25 - Jamie Alexander / Frank Spears, Jr.
...and the one common denominator or thread in all of the east coast aero tow tandem accidents is...
Towing Aloft - 1998/01

Three recent aerotowing accidents have occurred--one fatal. The common thread in all three was a lockout and the use of a much too heavy weak link. Tandem gliders are much less responsive than smaller gliders and the pilot in command often has a less than ideal position on the control bar. The situation shouldn't be compromised by an over-strength weak link.
A much too heavy weak link?

http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=25435
Raunchy Day At The Ridge + Release Failure
Diev Hart - 2012/03/06 01:06:39 UTC

Right there (I think) is the main issue...some pilots think they can fix a bad thing and don't want to start over.
Some pilot who thought he could fix a bad thing and didn't want to start over?

http://ozreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=22308
Better mouse trap(release)?
Jim Rooney - 2010/12/16 18:47:05 UTC

Oh, I've heard the "everything we do is an experiment" line before.
The trouble is, it's not.

I've seen experimentation with towing gear more than anything else in HG.
I've not seen many go out and try to build their own sails for example. When someone does, they're very quickly "shown the light" by the community. Example... the guy that was building the PVC glider in California somewhere.
But for some reason, towing gear is exempt from this.

The difference is what we do has been done by thousands of people already. It's been tested... a lot.
What we do is free of the experimentation part.
It's still dangerous, but not at the level of building new gear is. Not even close.

That's what people fail to realize.
It's no small difference. It's a huge chasm.

Notice how I'm not saying to not do it.
Go forth and experiment. That's great... that's how we improve things.
I'm just warning you of that chasm.

A few years ago, I started refusing to tow people with home made gear.
I like the idea of improving gear, but the lack of appreciation for the world they were stepping into didn't sit with me.
For example... flying with the new gear in mid day conditions?
Are you kidding me????

Approach it for what it is... completely untested and very experimental gear which will likely fail in new and unforseen ways as it tries it's damndest to kill you... and then we can talk.
Homemade gear?
...the glider was released from the tow vehicle while low to the ground.
Yeah.

http://www.chgpa.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2467
weak links
Jim Rooney - 2007/08/01 13:47:23 UTC

Whatever's going on back there, I can fix it by giving you the rope.
Right.
Jim Rooney - 2007/08/01 19:49:30 UTC

It's more of this crappy argument that being on tow is somehow safer than being off tow.
Sure.

http://ozreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=31052
Poll on weaklinks
Jim Rooney - 2013/03/05 01:32:20 UTC

Btw, it's nothing to do with you "counting" on the weaklink breaking... Its about me not trusting you to hit the release.
If it were only about what you want, then you could use what you like.
You want the strongest weaklink you can have.
I want you to have the weakest one practical.. I don't care how much it inconveniences you.
I don't trust you as a rule. You Trust you , but I don't and shouldn't.
"WAS RELEASED" by whom or what, Matt?
This may have been the tow vehicle releasing or the weak link breaking or the pilot/student releasing from the tow vehicle.
- Cite ONE SINGLE INCIDENT in which the pilot or student released causing a crash. With the kinda crap pigfuckers like you put them up on the guys on the gliders can't release to PREVENT crashes. They're sure as hell not gonna jump through any dangerous and/or impossible hoops to CAUSE extra crashes.

- Drop the pretentious "tow vehicle" crap. It's a goddam TUG.
They all released low.
WERE released or dumped low.
Witnesses agree that it was at least under 200 feet and in most instances less than 100 feet.
Zack Marzec was at 150. How come you didn't comment on that one? Wasn't worth any of your valuable time?
I do not know any details regarding Arlen's crash...
- Like, for instance, how to spell his name.
- It wasn't just Arlan's crash, motherfucker.
...but if it is not a structural failure and it happened close to the ground involving being released then I feel it is related in concept to the other crashes. Any low to the ground crash that kills a pilot means to me that the glider went in at a steep angle.
Probably to the pilot and student or passenger too.
It is my feeling, and some of the witnessed that I have spoken with from other accidents...
I thought just about all of the witnessed from other accidents were dead.
...clearly support this theory...
http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=14230
pro tow set-up
Jim Rooney - 2009/11/03 06:16:56 UTC

As for being in a situation where you can't or don't want to let go, Ryan's got the right idea. They're called "weak" links for a reason. Overload that puppy and you bet your ass it's going to break.

You can tell me till you're blue in the face about situations where it theoretically won't let go or you can drone on and on about how "weaklinks only protect the glider" (which is BS btw)... and I can tell ya... I could give a crap, cuz just pitch out abruptly and that little piece of string doesn't have a chance in hell. Take your theory and shove it... I'm saving my a$$.
THEORY. :roll: Shove your theory up your ass.
...that the towed aircraft...
The "TOWED AIRCRAFT"? Would that be the GLIDER you're talking about?
...was lower than it should have been...
Why do you think, Matt?
...and the pilot was trying to get back into position.
Oh. The GLIDER got LOWER THAN IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN but now he's suddenly realized that he should've been staying level with it. So now he's TRYING TO GET BACK INTO POSITION. So what's the fuckin' douchebag on the "TOW VEHICLE" been doing all this time, Matt? Never mind, I forgot that the fuckin' douchebags on the tow vehicles can do no wrong. Anything that happens to the glider is its own stupid goddam fault.
The glider was getting low on tow and the pilot was pushing out...
...and the fuckin' douchebag on the tug was just continuing to climb out...
...and then the weak link broke...
What weak link?
- Front or back end?
- What's its strength?
- Is it legal under FAA aerotowing regulations?
- If it's legal where in the range does it fall? Low? Mid? High?
- What's its purpose?
...or the rope was released by the tow vehicle or on the glider end.
Sleazy lying son of a bitch.
This caused an immediate loss of control with the glider impacting the ground at a steep angle -- usually on one wing or another. This low release with a high angle of attack causes in effect a whip stall.
HANG GLIDING FOR BEGINNER PILOTS
By Peter Cheney
Published by Matt Taber
Official Flight Training Manual of the U. S. Hang Gliding Association

Lockouts can be prevented by using good technique, light tow pressures, and appropriately-sized weak links--if you get too far off heading, and a lockout begins to develop, a proper weak link will break and release you from tow.
While low to the tow vehicle you can push out all the way and still not climb to position -- you are being towed in a stalled condition.
What's the fuckin' douchebag on the tug doing?
The procedure should be to release if you can not get in position by letting the bar out or using a quick momentary push out then back to trim.
The procedure is to stuff the fuckin' bar and stand the fuckin' tug on its tail to restore your safety margin and remind him that he's got a glider back there behind him. And if you stall him and kill him in the process I'm totally cool with that. We've got some major scores to settle here.
Regardless of what was going on or when --- in all the above mentioned aero tow tandem accidents the glider was released from tow at low altitude and immediately crashed killing one or both pilots on board.
And, as usual, leaving the fuckin' douchebag on the tug unscathed and free to slink away from the discussion and resume his career like nothing happened.
I feel strongly that the cause of crash in the cases that I looked at...
Tell us about some of the cases...

http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=20756
How is Zach Etheridge doing?
Bob Flynn - 2011/02/04 11:26:34 UTC

Lookout keeps this kind of stuff under their hat. You never hear of accidents there. But every time I go there, I hear about quite a few. Blown launches, tree landings, etc.
http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=18777
Accident - Broken Jaw - Full Face HG Helmet
Keith Skiles - 2010/08/28 05:20:01 UTC

Last year, at LMFP I saw an incident in aerotow that resulted in a very significant impact with the ground on the chest and face. Resulted in a jaw broken in several places and IIRC some tears in the shoulder.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TTTFlymail/message/11545
Cart stuck incidents
Keith Skiles - 2011/06/02 19:50:13 UTC

I witnessed the one at Lookout. It was pretty ugly. Low angle of attack, too much speed and flew off the cart like a rocket until the weak link broke, she stalled and it turned back towards the ground.
Is this a joke ?
Jim Rooney - 2011/09/02 19:41:27 UTC

Yes, go read that incident report.
Please note that the weaklink *saved* her ass. She still piled into the earth despite the weaklink helping her... for the same reason it had to help... lack of towing ability. She sat on the cart, like so many people insist on doing, and took to the air at Mach 5.
That never goes well.
Yet people insist on doing it.
Davis Straub - 2011/09/03 01:39:55 UTC

I think that I know the one that is being referred to.

The problem was an inexperienced female student put on a cart that had the keel cradle way too high, so she was pinned to the cart. The folks working at Lookout who helped her were incompetent.
...you didn't bother to look at.
...is most probably a result of the pilot pushing out to maintain or get into position and then the line was released, or the weak link broke.
Or the tow mast breakaway snapped. Or the Birrenator kicked in.
This low release with a high angle of attack causes in effect a whip stall.
It doesn't ACTUALLY cause a whipstall. It just causes IN EFFECT a whipstall. So ya still got some wiggle room.
I feel that this is a sure killer...
What if I feel differently, Matt? Won't I be a lot better off than you?
...and not as obvious as it could or should be...
Seeing as how sleazy pigfuckers like you have been lying your asses off to all your students for decades.
...furthermore many tandem professionals do not share or buy into my theory.
- Oh. This is *YOUR* THEORY. Instantaneous full catastrophic power failure causes an abrupt and severe increase in angle of attack. May result in a stall. You thought of that all by yourself. Guess we should call Southwest Airlines and let them know that they really better start watching it on engine maintenance.

- Fuck tandem professionals. They're all DREGS.
For instance, Greg DeWolfe...
DeWolf.
...had a tandem crash while teaching an aerotow tandem clinic at Lookout.
Obviously the most valuable lesson of the clinic.
His weak link broke on take off...
Bullshit. A weak link increases the safety of the towing operation. PERIOD. It's physically impossible to crash a glider after a weak link break on takeoff. The worst that can happen is an inconvenience.
...and he explained that he felt that he could let the bar float in to maintain control and affect a proper landing...
Affect it how? By rotating upright and throwing away what little control authority he had as things were so he could properly land on his feet?
...we debated the issue and assured him that he would have to aggressively pull in to keep or get the glider flying depending on how high the nose angle was allowed to go.
How can he aggressively pull in AND do a proper landing?
This was a minor crash that took out the tandem landing gear and the control frame -- no injuries.
Told ya so. Just an inconvenience.
I still do not know if he agrees that he can not push out in a tandem situation and recover if the weak link breaks -- the rope breaks or the engine quits.
I certainly hope not. The more of these asshole we kill the better off the sport will be.
I preach the dangers of pushing out -- getting the nose up (angle of attack) or allowing the nose angle to get too high -- while flying tandem while close to the ground.
But you solo guys... Knock yourselves out.
I feel that this is a sure killer and that the crash can not be avoided if you lose the tow vehicle for any reason.
Just your opinion. What makes you think yours is any better than anyone else's?
I feel strongly that the pilot must not allow the angle of attack to get too high and the pilot can not afford to give up his energy close to the ground.
Opinions, strong feelings... Image
I feel that the safe procedure is to take off and maintain position 20 feet above the tail of the plane awaiting the plane to take off. Then let the bar out as necessary (not push out) to stay in position while under 200 to 300 feet...
Yeah, I'll bet Bill Bennett, Mike Del Signore, Jamie Alexander, Frank Spears, Arlan Birkett, Jeremiah Thompson didn't know that. Probably just took off and enjoyed the ground skimming for a while, eventually looked up, noticed that the tug was doing what it was supposed to be, started pushing out to make up for lost time...
...remember, your glider is trimmed with the tow attach point at around 28 to 30mph.
Yeah?

14-03704
http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5523/14571090561_4086ee6832_o.png
06-03114
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3728/9655895292_f4f808fb0e_o.png
03-02421
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7200/14097626583_03972773c6_o.png
The tug flies faster than that close to the ground. Above 300 feet it is OK to push out a bit -- not a lot -- as necessary to stay in position. You should not continue to hold the bar out.
Stuff the fuckin' bar. Send the fuckin' message.
If you get low and the plane does not speed up to bring you back in position...
Then you know beyond any doubt - if you had any to begin with - that your life has been put into the hands of an incompetent asshole.
...without pushing out then you should release and re-do the tow.
And don't bother pulling in first. We don't wanna go TOO nuts on this safety/airspeed thing.
I have preached this method to many, however there are instructors that still teach that you can not stall while being towed.
http://www.chgpa.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2467
weak links
Marc Fink - 2007/07/23 11:14:35 UTC

Exactly. Tad says we go to the upper end, we say it's fine where it is. Tad says "inadvertent" breaks are malfunctions which will kill you and inconvenience him with waiting an extra 3 minutes on the flight line while he's eager to go after that huge xc flight or Manfred's world distance record; we say it's the weak link doing what it's supposed to do. (it's a wonder he tolerates tandems on the same day he's out).

Why are we "hyperventilating?"

Because Tad has:

1. Continued to attack us and call us names just because we don't agree with everything he says.

2. He has also insulted the integrity of several professional instructors and implied that they are deliberately putting students at risks.

3. He has donned the hat of part-time NTSB crash investigator and used anectodal accounts of spectacular accidents to bolster his arguments.
They have politely listened to my fears and I question whether what I am saying is accepted. I do not believe that we have a consensus in the industry and it is difficult to safely prove what will happen.
Then shut the fuckin' industry down until all the motherfuckers in it can get on the same page with reality.

By the way, Matt... Who are you preaching to? Obviously not any of the douchebags at OTHER flight parks. They're obviously your own tug and tandem drivers. So why are you hiring them / aren't you firing them? Maybe 'cause with what you pay you've gotta take whatever dregs you can get?
I maintain that if you go to altitude and then get a bit low on the plane...
The only way YOU can get low on the plane is to pull in. And if that's how you got there you're probably good no matter what increases the safety of the towing operation on you or who makes a good decision in the interest of your safety. But NOBODY DOES THAT.

The ONLY REASON anybody's ever "LOW ON THE PLANE" (discounting normal, unavoidable, short duration thermal stuff) is 'cause the fuckin' douchebag on the plane has outclimbed him. And we all instinctively ease the bar out 'cause we're trying to make things easy on the fuckin' douchebag on the plane and we're assuming that he'll wake up and start doing his job in a second or two.

Don't EVER make that mistake kids. Gotta do the opposite of what your considerate instincts are telling you to.
...have the plane fly slowly (about 30mph indicated) and then push out to get in position -- while doing this release -- your feat will hit the keel as the glider violently whip stalls to recover.
Thanks Matt. I don't hafta actually DO that to UNDERSTAND that. Kinda like I don't need to experience landing with a thirty mile per hour tailwind to know that that's a bad idea.
At best you will do unusual attitude recovery practice. You will use up a lot of altitude. Doing this once is not a scientific test and a highly loaded tandem glider is the last and worst choice for performing whip stalls.
Depends a lot on who's on the glider.
I have spent a lot of time with our tandem instructors explaining how serious this can be and making sure that we are in agreement that they will never push out while low to the ground and then only push out moderately and for a moment at altitude.
How does some total fucking moron who needs to have this explained to him manage to get rated as a tandem instructor in the first place?
Like I said earlier -- I do not know what happened, if, however there is a preventable reason why we are seeing this kind of accident and if these accidents are related as to how they occur then we should discuss the push out and how much issue and come up with a consensus.
How 'bout we come up with some consensuses on:
- weak links
- Dragonfly tow mast:
-- breakaways
-- breakaway protectors
- thanking our drivers for making good decisions in the interest of our safety
- releases:
-- within easy reach
-- not warranted as suitable for towing anything
while we're at it?

Motherfucker.