Dear Niki...

General discussion about the sport of hang gliding
Tad Eareckson

Dear Niki...

Post by Tad Eareckson »

Thought I'd start a thread targeting the new student pilot, focus on the fundamentals necessary for survival. Nothing that hasn't been beaten to death many times over throughout the forum (and pretty much everything on the forum has been beaten to death many times over throughout the forum) but hopefully it'll be helpful to have stuff somewhat organized in the same place.

So let's start with the lay of the land...

http://ozreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=25321
Stop the Stupids at the USHPA BOD meeting
Mark G. Forbes - 2011/09/29 02:26:23 UTC

We can establish rules which we think will improve pilot safety, but our attorney is right. USHPA is not in the business of keeping pilots "safe" and it can't be. Stepping into that morass is a recipe for extinction of our association. I wish it were not so, but it is. We don't sell equipment, we don't offer instruction, and we don't assure pilots that they'll be safe. Even so, we get sued periodically by people who say we "shoulda, coulda, woulda" done something that would have averted their accident.

It's not just concern for meet directors and policy makers...it's about our continued existence as an association. It's about minimizing the chance of our getting sued out of existence. We're one lawsuit away from that, all the time, and we think hard about it. I would LOVE to not have to think that way, but every time a legal threat arises, it reminds me that we have a very dysfunctional legal system in this country (note: not a "justice" system...there's little justice involved) and we have to recognize that reality and deal with it.
Mark G. Forbes - 2011/09/30 23:21:56 UTC

Here's how it really works:

- Member submits an accident report. Could be the pilot who had the accident, or some other witness.

- Accident report is sent to Tim to maintain legal privilege. Tim reviews the report and determines whether there's significant legal risk associated with it. He may redact certain parts (personally identifiable information, etc.) if in his opinion exposure of that information poses a risk to us. If the report is very risky, he may decide that it can't be shared further, and will notify the ED about it. He may also notify our insurers if he sees a potential for a claim, as is normal practice for any incident where we are aware of such a potential.

- Redacted report goes to the accident review chairs, for incorporation into periodic articles in the magazine. Articles focus on root causes of accidents, not on personal narratives or details.

The whole procedure is outlined in SOP 03-16, which you can read by logging into the USHPA website and clicking on "Policy Manual".
http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=27736
Increase in our USHpA dues
Mark G. Forbes - 2012/12/20 06:21:33 UTC

We're re-working the accident reporting system, but again it's a matter of getting the reports submitted and having a volunteer willing to do the detail work necessary to get them posted. There are also numerous legal issues associated with accident reports, which we're still wrestling with. It's a trade-off between informing our members so they can avoid those kinds of accidents in the future, and exposing ourselves to even more lawsuits by giving plaintiff's attorneys more ammunition to shoot at us.

Imagine a report that concludes, "If we'd had a procedure "x" in place, then it would have probably prevented this accident. And we're going to put that procedure in place at the next BOD meeting." Good info, and what we want to be able to convey. But what comes out at trial is, "Ladies and Gentlemen of the Jury, my client suffered injury because USHPA knew or should have known that a safety procedure was not in place, and was therefore negligent and at fault." We're constantly walking this line between full disclosure and handing out nooses at the hangmen's convention.
I think every single individual with more than an ounce or two of sanity, decency, integrity who read these naked, open, unabashed, incredible statements was stunned, shocked, horrified, aghast to the point of speechlessness - 'cept, of course, for the few of us who'd been watching these motherfuckers for the last couple decades and had figured out that that was exactly what was going on.

Aviation is just a flavor of safety. That's ALL Wilbur and Orville were concerned with - putting people up on a wing that they could reliably make do what they wanted it to and put it back down in one piece. And WHATEVER the flavor of aviation is - hang gliding, paragliding, Cessna hops, airline, aerobatics, carrier landings, bombing missions, dogfights, kamikaze runs (to the point of impact anyway) - it's still ALL about safety.

So you've got a national aviation organization - which is used as a model by national aviation organizations the world over - which refuses to have any real involvement in aviation. Sets pilot proficiency and experience standards, certifies instructors, issues and revokes ratings, interfaces with the FAA as a monopoly power but, "Hey, we really don't know which way is up and we're not gonna take a stand on any of the controversies on that particular issue. Every man for himself."

And this is just the barest tip of the iceberg and there are inescapable conclusions one MUST reach from these statements.

- In the eras of Robert V. Wills and Doug Hildreth, ending in 1994, we had really excellent "accident" reporting and analysis and - even though they were pretty much totally ignored by the schools and instructors - recommendations. Started going downhill after that and...

http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=16439
Some day we will learn
Steve Morris - 2010/03/31 23:58:54 UTC
Sunnyvale, California

In 2009 there were several serious hang gliding accidents involving pilots on the HG forum (or who had close friends on the forum that reported that these accidents had occurred). In each case there was an immediate outcry from forum members not to discuss these accidents, usually referring to the feelings of the pilots' families as a reason to not do so. In each case it was claimed that the facts would eventually come out and a detailed report would be presented and waiting for this to happen would result in a better informed pilot population and reduce the amount of possibly harmful speculation.

In each of these cases I have never seen a final detailed accident report presented in this forum. So far as I can tell, the accident reporting system that has been assumed to exist here doesn't exist at all, the only reports I've seen are those published in the USHPA magazine. They are so stripped down, devoid of contextual information and important facts that in many cases I have not been able to match the magazine accident report with those mentioned in this forum.

The end result has been that effective accident reporting is no longer taking place in the USHPA magazine or in this forum. Am I the only one who feels this way?
...reached the point of total extinction years ago. Conclusion... Tim Herr correctly concluded that ALL crashes are the consequences of USHGA negligence and incompetence. And if you don't report them...

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8143/7462005802_bbc0ac66ac_o.jpg

... they never happened. End of problem.

If someone drinks himself stupid and flies into the powerlines USHGA will probably publish the accident report and, after proper consultation with its attorney, issue an advisory against drinking oneself stupid and flying into powerlines. Beyond that... You're on your own.

- No person with the slightest vestige of conscience or decency could work within a system like that and be able to look at himself in a mirror or sleep at night. Thus one can very safely conclude that:

-- one hundred percent of the people who DO work within that system are total pieces of shit

-- anybody who wasn't a total piece of shit who entered that system with the intent of reforming it would become a shit slathered scorched slice of toast within five seconds tops

-- the farther up the hierarchy you go the sleazier the scum you're gonna be dealing with - and that totally and extremely includes all glider manufacturers, flight parks, major discussion groups

-- chapters and the discussion groups they control all totally suck - if they didn't they wouldn't be chapters of a sewer such as that

-- competence and integrity are feared, hated, ridiculed, punished - the lower you go down the hierarchy you go the better off you'll be (welcome to Kite Strings)

- USHGA's scared just as shitless of the justice system as any other sleazy Ponzi schemer.

- The last time USHGA put a fix to a problem on the books was 1981/05 with:
With each flight, demonstrates a method of establishing that the pilot is hooked in just prior to launch.
and in the 33 plus years since that has NEVER ONCE been implemented by A SINGLE USHGA instructor with A SINGLE USHGA student. And I mean that totally literally. Try to find a shred of evidence to the contrary. And ever since right after the 2005/10/01 Bill Priday fatality USHGA has been at war insisting that "a method of establishing that the pilot is hooked in" means only a hang check in the setup area "just prior to launch" means a fifteen minutes or more as anything under that only serves to give the pilot a dangerous false sense of security.

So obviously - and, again, I mean this totally literally - EVERY SINGLE FIX to every single lethal problem in hang gliding, including but not limited to basic, common sense, up down stuff:

- from conventional aviation that Wilbur and Orville we're doing before they figured out they needed to put a rudder on their plane

- that was universal in hang gliding in the Seventies before it was determined that basic, common sense, up down stuff presented a major threat to USHGA from a liability standpoint

has been shredded and buried along with its advocate.

- Related to this it's obvious that the more total moronic lunatic crap USHGA is able to get promoted through its instructional programs and magazine the more secure it will be. "There are many different approaches to and opinions regarding this issue. We have no solid consensus. This is an inherently dangerous sport and sometimes shit just happens. Rest assured, though, this issue will remain high on our list of priorities until it's thoroughly understood, a consensus is reached, and the remedial procedure is implemented."
Zack C - 2010/12/13 04:58:15 UTC

I had a very different mindset too back then and trusted the people that made my equipment. Since then I've realized (largely due to this discussion) that while I can certainly consider the advice of others, I can't trust anyone in this sport but myself.
Never stop checking your six.
Tad Eareckson

Re: Dear Niki...

Post by Tad Eareckson »

http://ozreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=24846
Is this a joke ?
Kinsley Sykes - 2011/08/25 04:12:33 UTC

An eminently qualified tandem pilot reported a random incident that we all could learn from
My response would be - "Thanks for letting us know that we have to be careful about how long our weaklinks are".
All the other crap you (ridgerodent) wrote is just noise.
Jim Rooney - 2011/08/25 04:55:25 UTC

Ditto dude.

It always amazes to hear know it all pilots arguing with the professional pilots.
I mean seriously, this is our job.
We do more tows in a day than they do in a month (year for most).

We *might* have an idea of how this stuff works.
They *might* do well to listen.
Not that they will, mind you... cuz they *know*.

I mean seriously... ridgerodent's going to inform me as to what Kroop has to say on this? Seriously? Steve's a good friend of mine. I've worked at Quest with him. We've had this discussion ... IN PERSON. And many other ones that get misunderstood by the general public. It's laughable.

Don't even get me started on Tad. That obnoxious blow hard has gotten himself banned from every flying site that he used to visit... he doesn't fly anymore... because he has no where to fly. His theories were annoying at best and downright dangerous most of the time. Good riddance.

So, argue all you like.
I don't care.
I've been through all these arguments a million times... this is my job.
I could be more political about it, but screw it... I'm not in the mood to put up with tender sensibilities... Some weekend warrior isn't about to inform me about jack sh*t when it comes to towing. I've got thousands upon thousands of tows under my belt. I don't know everything, but I'll wager the house that I've got it sussed a bit better than an armchair warrior.
Kinsley Sykes - 2011/08/31 11:35:36 UTC

Well actually he didn't. But if you don't want to listen to the folks that actually know what they are talking about, go ahead.
Feel free to go the the tow park that Tad runs...
- There is NOTHING of any importance to a pilot in hang gliding that can't be explained in a few short sentences and easily and thoroughly understood by a halfway intelligent fifth grader.

- For that reason you don't find many people with the brains of a halfway intelligent fourth grader working as hang gliding instructors for more than a few months because it soon becomes mind numbingly tedious. Dial that down a few notches for tug driver.

- All newbies and the vast majority of recreational participants in the sport assume that people in the business with vast numbers of flights, hours, years have depths of acquired knowledge and wisdom unattainable by mere mortals. The reality tends to be the precise opposite. Every new day brings new challenges and mysteries - identical to the previous day's challenges and mysteries.

- The more some asshole talks about how he knows what he's talking about the more you can rest assured he doesn't have the slightest clue as to what he's talking about.

-- The goal of a REAL instructor is to teach you everything he knows, render himself redundant, leave you with the capability of doing and relaying everything he can just as well or better.

-- My goal here is to be able to add you to the list of members here totally capable of replacing me and doing just as good or better of a job.

-- A REAL instructor will tell any student with any reasonable degree of aptitude that the proficiencies he has - dune, thermal, towing, XC, aerobatics, restricted landing field - are just extensions of the basics he'll be acquiring in the first few training flights.

-- Any asshole who presents himself as being in possession of the kind of knowledge, wisdom, skills that you won't be able to grasp for a minor eternity is:
--- full of shit
--- attempting to:
---- undermine your confidence in yourself
---- increase your dependency on him
--- setting you up for a serious crash
and deserves to be taken out and shot.

- On Kite Strings you will find NOTHING of any importance in flying that:
-- isn't:
--- or can't be fully explained in a few short sentences
--- well illustrated in photos and videos
-- can't be thoroughly understood by a halfway intelligent fifth grader
-- is the slightest bit inconsistent with the universally accepted principles of conventional aviation
-- has:
--- not been stated by highly experienced, qualified, and successful hang glider pilots decade after decade
--- been quoted and demolished on enemy forums (and everything else out there is an enemy forum)
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

Speaking of "instructors" who should be taken out and shot...

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/hhpa/message/11700
Zack C - 2010/11/18 05:59:03 UTC

But I'm one of Matt's 'defective products'. The first thing I learned to do in the field at Lookout was a hang check. I was told a story by my instructor about the then-recent death of a pilot who launched without being through his leg loops. The instructor called this pilot an 'idiot'. This is how I was taught to think from Day 1. As you said, it's a bitch to rewire a brain...
The guy who fell to his death may or may not have been an idiot. No doubt whatsoever about the two instructors here.

Let's call the victim Mark...
1991/09/19 - Mark Kerns - 41 - Advanced, Years - Airwave Magic IV - Wasatch State Park - Fatal: head, chest, pelvis, leg

Experienced pilot simply forgot to put legs through leg straps of cocoon harness. He could not get his foot into the boot after launch (which has saved other pilots), was able to hold on for several seconds, but slipped out of the harness and fell 200 feet. Died instantly.
That's the last name I have on a fatal leg loops misser. Mark undoubtedly also had some piece of shit posing as an instructor telling him the previous guy who missed his leg loops and fell to his death was an idiot.

"Hell, you're obviously not an idiot - like that guy. And besides... You've got ME as an instructor! And I'm a really great instructor!"

Another total piece of shit:

http://ozreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13132
Unhooked Death Again - Change our Methods Now?
Quinn Cornwell - 2009/01/24 19:57:03 UTC
HPAC Accident Review and Safety Committee Chairman

No, don't think about the jagged boulders. That'll mess with your head. Don't ever tell pilots to think about "Oh, if you screw this up, you'll crash and burn into those jagged rocks down there, so make sure you don't screw this up." This sort of psychology is detrimental. It's good to be conscience of the dangers in hang gliding, pointing this out right before you start running is just plain stupid.
in serious need of being taken out and shot.

My students... Before I ever let them get near a glider I sit them all down in the classroom and tell them that they're all total, useless, scatterbrained idiots who have no fuckin' business even THINKING about flying gliders - just like I am. Then I tell them about all of the truly brilliant and gifted pilots who ain't around no more 'cause of tiny human lapses into idiocy. Then I tell them the strategies they can employ to compensate for being total, useless, scatterbrained idiot humans who have no fuckin' business even THINKING about flying gliders so they can fly gliders over long careers more safely than they can get out of bathtubs.

Conventional commercial sleazebag hang gliding instruction is to feed the student tons of crap about how safe all aspects of the sport are for anyone not so stupid as to be a major blight on the gene pool. Read Towing Aloft cover to cover and try to find any mention of the dangers of roll instability or abrupt loss of thrust. Then compare/contrast what happens with that motherfucker...
Bill Bryden - 2000/02

Dennis Pagen informed me several years ago about an aerotow lockout that he experienced. One moment he was correcting a bit of alignment with the tug and the next moment he was nearly upside down. He was stunned at the rapidity. I have heard similar stories from two other aerotow pilots.
Dennis Pagen - 2005/01

I pulled in all the way, but could see that I wasn't going to come down unless something changed. I hung on and resisted the tendency to roll to the side with as strong a roll input as I could, given that the bar was at my knees. I didn't want to release, because I was so close to the ground and I knew that the glider would be in a compromised attitude. In addition, there were hangars and trees on the left, which is the way the glider was tending. By the time we gained about 60 feet I could no longer hold the glider centered--I was probably at a 20-degree bank--so I quickly released before the lockout to the side progressed. The glider instantly whipped to the side in a wingover maneuver. I cleared the buildings, but came very close to the ground at the bottom of the wingover. I leveled out and landed.

Analyzing my incident made me realize that had I released earlier I probably would have hit the ground at high speed at a steep angle. The result may have been similar to that of the pilot in Germany. The normal procedure for a tow pilot, when the hang glider gets too high, is to release in order to avoid the forces from the glider pulling the tug nose-down into a dangerous dive. However Neal kept me on line until I had enough ground clearance, and I believe he saved me from injury by doing so. I gave him a heart-felt thank you.
...out in the NONfiction world.

Big killers in:
- free flying:
-- foot launches
-- unhooked launches
-- midairs
-- approaches
-- foot landings
- towing:
-- "rope" breaks
-- premature releases
-- bad pin men (ALL Dragonfly drivers)
-- releases within easy reach
-- pro toad bridles
-- lockouts

We can train and equip for, manage, eliminate those issues - assuming you don't have a Dragonfly and a Dragonfly person on the other end of the rope anyway.

IRRATIONAL fears, such as those propagated by total pieces of shit like...
Dr. Trisa Tilletti - 2012/06

Historically, a 520 lb. double loop of 130 lb. green spot line has been the de facto standard for weak link used on the V-bridle for both the tandem and the tug. Technically, this can be legal if the V-bridle on the tug is longer and has a more acute angle than the V-bridle on the glider, which results in a vector angle that effectively makes the weak link on the tug act slightly stronger than the weak link on the glider. There has been a trend lately for some tandem operators to go with about a 400 lb. weak link on both the tandem glider and tug V-bridles, rather than 520 lbs., to help protect the equipment from large stresses. If tandem operators think that, practically, a 520 lb. double loop weak link is too much for a tandem, it is way too much for a solo pilot.

Solo hang glider pilots should not place a 520 lb. double loop weak link on their V-bridle, unless they get specific approval from the tow operator. It could be hard on the equipment and could be illegal if the tug is using a weaker weak link. It is also far beyond USHPA's nominal 1g recommendation.
http://ozreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=24846
Is this a joke ?
Davis Straub - 2011/08/28 15:26:28 UTC

Then again, Russell Brown had us double up behind him after six breaks in a row at Zapata. We couldn't figure out why we had so many breaks so quickly. Maybe just coincidence.
...Tracy Tillman - bad things. They can and do get people mangled and killed all the time.

RATIONAL fears...

http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=11497
Aerotow release options?
Dallas Willis - 2009/04/13 18:44:46 UTC

Could you go into more detail about your push button truck tow release and the lanyard version you experimented with? I'm truck towing an awful lot lately and have yet to find a release that doesn't scare the heck out me.
022-04610
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2809/13746340634_a74b33d285_o.png
070-05111
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7207/13745841035_6b79a43ea8_o.png
088-05301
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3708/13746233274_c1a80f35c1_o.png

http://www.chgpa.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3600
Weak link question
Jim Rooney - 2008/11/22 22:31:35 UTC

Nail on the head Brian!

The simple fact is this. The only reason anyone even gives Tad the time of day is that they want to believe him. Why? Because they don't like to be inconvenienced by a weaklink break. That's it.

Sure, everyone digs around for other reasons to believe, but at the heart of it, it's convenience.
No one is actually scared to fly with a standard weaklink. They may say they are, but deep down inside, they're not.
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-bRrpHNa68iY/UQ6Pv9gRZyI/AAAAAAAAjTg/Hc22bx5122Q/s2048/20943781_BG1.jpg
Rob Kells - 2005/12

Always lift the glider vertically and feel the tug on the leg straps when the harness mains go tight, just before you start your launch run. I always use this test.

My partners (Steve Pearson and Mike Meier) and I have over 25,000 hang glider flights between us and have managed (so far) to have hooked in every time. I also spoke with test pilots Ken Howells and Peter Swanson about their methods (another 5000 flights). Not one of us regularly uses either of the two most popular methods outlined above. Each of us agrees that it is not a particular method, but rather the fear of launching unhooked that makes us diligent to be sure we are hooked in every time before starting the launch run.
http://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5566/14704620965_ce30a874b7_o.png

REALLY good things. Well maintained rational fear...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tj1Z_BI5OXs
[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tj1Z_BI5OXs[/video]
Mike Barber - 2007/12/25

I don't risk safety any more. I'd say... the absolute hardest I would push it is on a thousand to one chance of getting hurt - and that's pushing VERY hard. It's pushing it TOO hard. Because, I do this more than a thousand times a year. You're really pushing the envelope at a thousand to one chance of getting hurt. It should be more like one in a HUNDRED thousand - which is probably the same as driving your car.
...is BY FAR the single best arrow in your safety quiver. (And the foot landing is your worst. It's a hundred times more likely to circle back and stick you than it is to be of any use.)
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

http://ozreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1166
Too many death
Brett - 2006/02/01 22:26:38 UTC

My feeling is human reactions are never fast enough to make a truly unstable wing safe. Birds have some very specialized vestibular apparatuses and sensory feedback systems but for us to get away with a truly unstable wing we need computer fly-by-wire systems - so we compromise.

The big problem we face is more a problem of towline force exceeding weight shift control authority in towing hang gliders, than the stability or lack of in the wing... I am aware of those who quote acceptable statistics these days (I do remember the old days when towing was akin to death and agree things have improved considerably). Personally, I still think weight shift is an inadequate control mechanism for safe towing and weak links, etc. do not sufficiently compensate. When the pulling force from the towline can exceed your control, hoping the towline breaks or you detach in time doesn't really stake me as a safe option. These days with superlight sailplanes and rigid hang gliders like the Swift, Millennium, etc. even spoiler controls like the Atos seems a safer better option to control lateral lockout (though vertical lockout may persist).
Brett - 2006/02/02 23:07:46 UTC

Sailplanes for example tow directly from the glider - no need for elaborate systems to compensate. Clearly with sufficient control nothing else is necessary. I recall early in my training I was so bad I let the glider get so far off station I could barely see the tug plane in the corner of the canopy and was in total panic. Finally the instructor took over. He simply pointed at the tug with the rudder and cross controlled with the stick. The glider came back behind the tug in the blink of an eye from a position my HG experience told me was totally unrecoverable. I was amazed at how effective the control was.
http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=31574
Alpha meets Atos
leesidelee - 2014/07/16 20:59:14 UTC

In an advanced hang glider when thermalling near min sink speed I routinely am applying maximum roll input to put the glider where I need it to maximize my position in the thermal. When flying an airplane pilots never have to give full control input as the amount of effectiveness with control surfaces is so much greater.
Hang glider roll control authority sucks - times twenty when you're on tow. (And, seeing as how you're doing the vast majority of your flying in Texas (hopefully in thermal conditions at this point)...)

Even in free flight one moment you can be flying along just fine, minding your own business...

01-1200
http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5493/14372086227_49503abddb_o.png

...and the next...

04-1409
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3903/14555125331_c930110666_o.png

the horizon's all fucked up and you're at the stops, along for the ride, passenger mode, waiting for things to get better.

Throw a towline into the equation...

14-14513
http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5486/14556436064_651da3bb06_o.png

They're not gonna get better. They're gonna get exponentially worse.

Take the towline out of the equation...

16-14515
http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5510/14371445969_b23de4d8d5_o.png

SURPRISE! :D They're STILL gonna be getting worse for a good bit - contrary to the reassuring bullshit...

http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=14230
pro tow set-up
Ryan Voight - 2009/11/03 05:24:31 UTC

It works best in a lockout situation... if you're banked away from the tug and have the bar back by your belly button... let it out. Glider will pitch up, break weaklink, and you fly away.

During a "normal" tow you could always turn away from the tug and push out to break the weaklink... but why would you?

Have you never pondered what you would do in a situation where you CAN'T LET GO to release? I'd purposefully break the weaklink, as described above. Instant hands free release Image
...you've been taught. The loss of the towline isn't the end of your problems. It's the end of the beginning of your problems.

All losing the towline does for your glider is to restore the POSSIBILITY of it recovering. And for that possibility to become a reality you'll need to hold the bar back all the way for a while and...

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-9Ek9_lFeSII/UZ4KuB0MUSI/AAAAAAAAGyU/eWfhGo4QeqY/s1024/GOPR5278.JPG
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-Xh_NfnOcUns/UZ4Lm0HvXnI/AAAAAAAAGyk/0PlgrHfc__M/s1024/GOPR5279.JPG

...have started out with a nice cushion of altitude. (Recognize the runway and tug?)

If you're sure you're always gonna have a nice cushion of altitude in an emergency situation, use whatever piece of shit "release"...

6-17-2726
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7195/14043008286_317de3673d_o.png

...your total fucking idiot of an instructor puts you up on. Rest assured that while you're fumbling around effecting the easy reach to the "release" lever velcroed onto your downtube:

- time will freeze

- the dangerous roll instability of your glider will cease to be an issue with just ONE hand on the CONTROL bar

- your altitude cushion will either remain constant or thicken a bit

- if all else fails your Rooney Link...

2-23-05007
http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5040/14063158252_d7c017fbf1_o.png
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7323/14043200776_4ac99ea901_o.png
2-24-05008

...will pop before you can get into too much trouble

If you'd prefer to MAXIMIZE your chances of survival, on the other hand...

01-1225
http://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7436/13700570583_049b5b7ded_o.png
02-1302
http://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7117/13700891354_b31d51ed74_o.png
03-1304
http://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2938/13700558193_0e0946218e_o.png

http://www.getoffrelease.com/

And no, this piece of SHIT:

2-22-03818
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2921/14063160172_f812c28b03_o.png
http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5499/14062975901_f70f74bd12_o.png
5-16-12305

from Lookout is NOT an acceptable alternative. Right principle but its pusher is a Grade A Pigfucker, his junk fails left and right, and he doesn't put out advisories 'cause he's already informed you in the owner's manual that shipped with it that it's a useless piece of shit. ALL of your tow equipment is shoddy lethal junk and we need to address those issues before you tow again.

Back to addressing roll authority and stability issues...

Yeah, our roll authority sucks - but:
- at altitude so the fuck what?
- just at low to midrange flying speeds.

If we have speed we have roll authority to burn. You'll never see a fast glider over at the stops waiting for a response. A fast glider over at the stops will be upside down in the blink of an eye if it isn't already. So all you have to do is carry extra speed, not slow down to milk lift in potentially choppy air, near surfaces. But...

28-11505
http://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4231/34683464104_88bfcfd2b1_o.png

...you already know that. You're fuckin' bulletproof for damn near anything that could hit you in any halfway reasonable conditions. As a matter of fact you're TOO bulletproof. You don't need to be that fast, that high, in smooth air. Work on coming with the just the speed you need for a bulletproof safety margin for the particular set of conditions. Don't just stuff the bar high because somebody told you to always come in with speed. You'll get more airtime, have more fun, get more comfortable with the performance capabilities of your glider. But if you're gonna err, keep doing it on the fast side.

Brett's off base with his fly-by-wire comments.

- First off, you'd need to wire the system into the nerves controlling your arm muscles - 'cause those are the only things we have effecting pitch and roll control.

- Secondly, such a system would be of no appreciable advantage in sustainable tow situations. If you watch Heels here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5dhm3TnwIU

you'll see her almost constantly making rapid little bump corrections to keep the instability thing in check. If you watch a video of yourself in thermal conditions you'll see yourself doing the same thing.

- Lastly, when the shit hits the fan control is overwhelmed no matter how fast and authoritatively countermeasures are effected. A few hundredths of a second lead aren't gonna make any difference worth mentioning.

He's on base, however, but not nearly enough, about weak links being, for all intents and purposes, totally fuckin' useless with respect to the roll instability/lockout issue.

- As we've just seen, in free flight, with zero tow tension, any glider can get knocked on its ear in a heartbeat and reduce the pilot to passenger status long enough to kill him if there's something hard in the right place.

- It's gonna take you well over a hundred pounds of towline tension to get you into the air and climbing. Your "standard aerotow weak link" will, if you're lucky, allow around 226 pounds of towline tension. But let's throw that out and just use a hundred.

- So you're gonna be reasonably OK low and rolled on your ear 'cause you're only gonna have a hundred pounds pulling sidewise on you and your glider in the direction opposite to what you'd like it to be doing? Total fuckin' lunacy - and the foundation of hang glider towing theory.

That's what the incompetent, negligent, idiots instructing, equipping, coaching, pulling you are trying to use that goddam standard aerotow weak link to do. Your North Wing Freedom 170 has a max certified operating weight of 294 pounds. Your Rooney Link is putting you below the FAA legal minimum of eighty percent of that - 0.77 to be precise. A middle of the legal/safety range is 1.40 or 412 pounds towline. The fishing line that puts you there is about 240. Probably can't get that. Use 250 to nudge you a bit farther in the direction you wanna go.

But first give your release away to someone you really hate and replace it with one designed for hang glider towing.

P.S. Just did a bit o' research. I can't pull punches or be diplomatic 'cause the people setting you up for disaster are dear friends, spouses, parents, kids, kidney donors, whatever. Incompetence is incompetence and will kill you just as dead regardless of intensions.

The driver on that:

one is Joel Froehlich, undoubtedly one of the guys pulling you. Count it as a kill. (Duh.) That happened because the place was OOZING with USHGA and FAA aerotowing regulations violations - as it undoubtedly still is. As far as hang gliding is concerned these people are no more your friends than anonymous oncoming drunk drivers going twenty miles an hour over the speed limit on the wrong side of the road.

P.P.S. Note just how much good the illegally light standard aerotow weak link - same one you use - did towards increasing the safety of that towing operation.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

Skim this crap from these assholes then go to comments from this asshole at the bottom before wasting too much time with it.
Bill Bryden - 2000/02

Our sport suffered a tragic fatality the evening of December 11. Debbie Young, age 43, an enthusiastic new novice-level pilot died from injuries suffered in a hang gliding crash.

Deb successfully launched a beginner glider from ground-launch cart being towed with a static-line tow system. At approximately 125 feet (estimates by observers ranged from less than 100 up to 150 feet), her glider started turning relative to the towline. Observers did not note corrective action by the pilot. The glider turned enough that the tow bridle strongly contacted the flying wires and/or the pilot strongly contacted the control frame of the glider. The resulting lateral force on the control frame pulled the glider into an aggressive lockout. The glider rolled over extremely quickly and dove into the ground in a manner of only several seconds.

An instructor mentoring Deb during her early solo tows radioed release instructions and the tow was aborted, but it was observed that her hands appeared to not leave the control bar to effect release. Towline tension was controlled at 120-130 pounds and the towline release's integrated weak link did not break. (Nor should it have broken. Reference this column in the December, 1998 issue for a detailed discussion as to why it should not have been expected to break.)

The rapidity of the lockout was absolutely stunning to those observing the event. The glider went from being banked approximately 25 degrees and angled roughly 45 degrees to the towline, to being rolled over and pointed down in less than two to three seconds after the rollover. This may sound like an unreasonably brief time, but remember that 10 mph equals 15 feet per second, and a hang glider diving straight down at only 30 mph would travel 90 feet in two seconds.

When a towline strongly contacts the front flying wires or the pilot's body is pulled into strong contact with the control frame or rear flying wires, a lateral, sideways pulling force is applied to the control frame. This force very strongly causes the glider to bank and turn further away from the towline and will easily be much stronger than any weight shift the pilot may effect. This is a lockout, and releasing and terminating or reducing the tow force are the only means of escape at this point.

This tragic accident vividly demonstrated how rapidly a lockout can occur, and teaches the lesson that pilots must not be hesitant to release when their glider gets turned too much. Unfortunately, I can not effectively communicate how quickly and aggressively this may occur. Dennis Pagen informed me several years ago about an aerotow lockout that he experienced. One moment he was correcting a bit of alignment with the tug and the next moment he was nearly upside down. He was stunned at the rapidity. I have heard similar stories from two other aerotow pilots.

Understanding how incredibly fast this can occur, we should question and reexamine the procedures and equipment utilized to abort a tow. Many payout winches employ a pressure-dump valve to quickly drop pressure, but some have to be cranked down and most utilize a hook knife to sever a towline. Many, if not most, tension-controlled, static-line tow systems require the vehicle to aggressively brake and then the driver to cut the line or back up as required. Many stationary, pay-in winch systems can drop tension somewhat quickly and others are rather pokey at dumping tension. In addition, some do not employ a quick mechanical system to sever the line, relying upon an operator with a hook knife or ax to accomplish this emergency task.

If a lockout occurs and the glider rolls over, when the tow tensions are reduced with the glider in this position it may pull out flying opposite the original tow direction. If the towline or bridle connect to the pilot or glider above the control bar, this will be wrapped down and around the control bar or frame, and any residual line tension will pull in the bar, pitching the nose down. Fifteen to twenty pounds can "stuff" the bar and dive the glider into the ground, hence the extreme importance of dropping the line tension to zero or severing the line at the tow rig and the pilot releasing.

From the time Deb's tow was noted as going bad, there was only about two or three seconds to completely terminate the tow and provide the glider with zero line tension, giving it a couple of seconds to pull out of the dive. Problems encountered at lower altitudes would permit even less time for pilot and tow crew reaction. The implications of this establish some equipment requirements that some tow rigs likely don't accommodate. I'm not leveling criticisms. I simply don't think the sport or the industry fully understood or comprehended the rapidity with which these lockouts can occur, and hence these corresponding needs. I didn't.

Payout winches absolutely must employ a tension-dump valve. A guillotine or other automatic line cutter to sever the line is also required. A quickly rotating or free-spooling winch drum can spin off extra line resulting in a jumble and snarl. You likely don't have time to snatch a hook knife, then grab and cut a line in two seconds or less. With static-line tow systems the line tension monitor at the vehicle must have a quick-release that the driver can actuate in a fraction of a second, cleanly releasing from the vehicle. Stationary pay-in winches (including scooter systems) must be able to stop and dump tension almost instantly. Inertia and hydraulics may preclude this, and as with a payout winch a line snarl can occur, thus likely making line cutters that can be activated very quickly mandatory.

A secondary observation from this accident is the occurrence of pilots freezing during a moment of panic. During tandem training, Deb had been taught how to correct glider and towline alignment during a tow and had been instructed when it was necessary to release. Her instructor had simulated lockout scenarios, covertly banking the glider while she was flying, and testing how she reacted and released. She performed this superbly. During her second solo tow she got a bit angled to the towline and demonstrated that she knew when and how to release. Before each of her solo tows she was quizzed about what to do if the tow bridle touched the flying wires and was required to demonstrate the release action. Still, it would seem that fear or panic overwhelmed her during this incident and she froze.

This phenomenon has jammed fear into the hearts of most instructors at some point during their careers. Unfortunately, there is no way to really test a pilot for this tendency during training. Situations can be created to incite a degree of panic in a student and some might freeze. But for those who don't, they know it is a training scenario, and in the back of their minds know the instructor is controlling things, protecting their safety. Remove this safety net, during a real emergency -- and who knows what a pilot might do -- even experienced pilots have been seen to freeze in an emergency.

Knowing that all pilots, but especially new pilots, are potential candidates for brain lock, and considering the rapidity with which a lockout can occur, the tow system and ground crew must be capable and prepared to save a pilot as soon as possible should the tow go bad. The equipment must be able to accommodate this and the crew must be trained to perform this.

A third lesson from this event was highlighted during discussions with pilots several days later. After the crash, an instructor sprinted to Deb's aid, arriving just moments later. He sliced through the hang straps and began CPR in scarcely more than a minute. Two other observers present assisted until a firefighter arrived, and his instructor continued compressions for paramedics until she was transported to the trauma center. Another pilot summoned the ambulance with a cell phone, providing location and directions. It was commented by a few pilots that they were glad these particular people were present, because they would not have known what to do, or didn't have a cellular phone, or didn't recall the road name, etc.

Pilots with first-aid training must be present each flying day, and there must be enough of them so that there are always a few around when everyone else is flying. This means that most folks in a club need to have first-aid and CPR training. This is a good time of year to contact the Red Cross and schedule the training. CPR efforts sustained Deb till she arrived at the hospital where the trauma team battled for nearly an hour attempting to save her. Tragically, she died, but the CPR gave her a chance she never would have had otherwise.

A telephone, cell phone or radio capable of reliably reaching emergency services through a phone patch must be present whenever folks at a flying site, and everyone must know where to find it and how to use it. Everyone must either know by heart or be able to promptly access the address and specific directions to the accident site. Everyone must know where the club's first-aid kit is located. Your club does have one doesn't it? This kit shouldn't be just a boo-boo kit, but have supplies for significant life-threatening injuries.

This month's incident column was personally particularly troubling to write. I knew Deb. I was there. I saw her crash. Her husband saw the crash and we cried together at the hospital. During the thousands of tows I've made and probably tens of thousands I have witnessed, I had never seen a true, hardcore lockout, nothing close to this. I am still stunned by how fast it occurred. I did not fully comprehend Dennis's lockout when he described it to me. I do now. These must be treated with a great deal of respect. It is now clear to me that tow equipment must be capable of terminating a tow, including severing or releasing the line almost instantly. Taking a few seconds as required with many systems, and previously considered adequate by much conventional wisdom, is now clearly too long. Pilots can freeze in a panic, and tow observers and proper equipment must be capable of assisting them out of a disaster as much as possible. Your flying community members must be prepared to quickly react to an accident and have the proper communications and first-aid equipment at the ready.

I hate writing about fatal accidents and I usually agonize over these articles for hours and days, trying to identify the relevant lessons and to say things with proper sensitivity but enough objectivity toward lessons to be learned. Please spare me that and work aggressively to not lose a fellow pilot this new year.
http://ozreport.com/9.223
Auto Release line
Davis Straub - 2005/11/02

To stop lockouts
Pat Denevan

We tow with the line through the control bar for foot launch, under the bar for cart launch. The auto release is about two feet longer when the line is under the bar. Line through the bar limits how high they can get, like a governor in pitch.

Illustrations by Greg Shaw.

The glider is released with a combination of pitch and turning off line. It is not really yaw that causes the release to work.
Peter Birren

http://www.birrendesign.com/LKOpinions.html

So far, nobody around here (Indiana) has seen fit to even try the auto release for either aero or static towing (except me, both ways). I thought it was an original idea when it came to mind following Deb Young's fatality. Tried to engage Bill Bryden in developing it, but he apparently couldn't see the benefit (never mind that Deb was his student).

Bill's reasoning at the time was, "Rich Sacher and I tried a yaw-activated release to both control bar corners but it didn't work, so your nose line idea won't work either." Then Pat Denevan chimed in on the Towing List that he'd been using something very similar for a few years.

In a recent phone call with Martin Beresford, he mentioned having done his first tow launches only two weeks ago with Pat Denevan. I asked him to describe the release and he did a great job telling about the "auto trip line" setup.

I've been trying to figure a way to do this for PG but have come up empty- handed so far.
This is about 23 months after what idiot sleazebag Peter refers to as "the excellent book, Towing Aloft, by Dennis Pagen and Bill Bryden" which is deadly bullshit sloppy written by two other sleazebags.

Towed hang gliders are dangerously roll unstable. The business about the bridle and/or pilot needing to contact a nose wire and/or downtube in order for things to go to hell is rubbish. It's one of two or three myths Donnell Hewett clung/clings to in order to explain why the myth of his autocorrecting Center Of Mass tow system won't hold up to reality.

Isn't it simply amazing how few people there are who prefer to die as a result of not making the easy reach to the release actuator over dying as a result of making the easy reach to the release actuator - even when they're being instructed to do the latter by some asshole?

Note we're told NOTHING about the release type or the actuator location. Not really all that important I guess. Oh well, at least we know that she had to cease flying the glider to blow it and that she knew she'd be fucked even faster if she did. That's probably enough.

Note that the weak link "didn't work" the way we're assured it will in the excellent book, Towing Aloft, by Dennis Pagen and Bill Bryden.

Note that the weak link strength isn't given - so we know that it was 1.0 Gs max 'cause if it had been a tenth of a G over that this would've been yet another needless death by Tad-O-Link.

And we're absolutely ASTONISHED at how fast this shit went down after having just published THE definitive text on hang and paraglider towing...
Towing Aloft - 1998/01

Lockouts do not just magically happen to snatch a glider from the sky. They are generally progressive events originating from situations that can usually be terminated. The pilot and tow team must recognize these situations and the potential for acceleration into full lockout conditions so they can take appropriate corrective action prior to occurrence.
...but nearly a quarter century after this fatality we're still happily selling this crap.

Pressure-dump, hook knife, brake, cut, back up, pay-in winch systems, drop tension, dump tension, quick mechanical system to sever the line, above the control bar, residual line tension, pilot and tow crew reaction, tension-dump valve, guillotine, line tension monitor, quick-release that the driver can actuate in a fraction of a second, line cutters, pilots freezing, panic, simulated lockout scenarios, CPR, cell phones, first-aid training, emergency services, phone patch, address and specific directions, first-aid kit, backup loop, fire extinguisher, flak jacket, shark repellent, signal mirror, flare gun, snakebite kit, kitchen fucking sink... NOTHING ABOUT GIVING THE FUCKING PILOT A RELEASE HE CAN ACTUALLY USE IN AN EMERGENCY.

Every single time I read this TOTAL CRAP from this TOTAL DOUCHEBAG I get renewed urges to beat him to a lifeless pulp three times over.

This CANNOT be happening by ACCIDENT. There's gotta be an ironclad injunction against all USHGA operatives suggesting that we equip PILOTS with RELEASES they can use to RELEASE.

ALSO...

At some point "prior to" the story somebody decided to save a couple thousand bucks and not spring for a platform launch payout system. But let's make REAL SURE to not mention it takes fifty times the effort to successfully kill oneself on platform that it does on static.

Then Peter's certifiable insane crap to one hundred percent guaranteed to whipstall the glider occupant to safety in the event his pitch attitude becomes abnormally high.

Somebody name something from within the past quarter century that the western hang gliding establishment has developed or promoted that's fixed or mitigated a problem.

- We have better performing and somewhat better handling gliders but that evolutionary process was pretty much maxed out along time ago.

- We have more highly performing and more dangerous competition harnesses.

- Hook-in check promoters are hunted down and gang raped.

- Aerotowing started out one hundred percent one point with releases within easy reach. Phase 2 with one hundred percent two point and functional releases passed in a heartbeat. In Phase 3 gliders stayed two point and the vast majority of releases went back to within easy reach and the performance was degraded. In Phase 4 gliders started going one point with caution and the Dragonfly tow mast breakaway protector became the defining factor for weak links. And now at Phase 5 pro tow is promoted as safer, functional releases are being viciously driven out of circulation, and the official conversation on weak links has gone dumbfoundingly moronic and insane.

Anyway...

Husband, instructor, friends. Put her up on crap equipment. No safety margins, no Plan B. Kill her. Just froze. We really didn't do anything wrong, standard equipment, standard operating procedures. Let's try to rethink the way we're doing things and bend over backwards to not mention the blindingly obvious stuff that's already in widespread use and should've been developed well before we started putting people up on gliders.

When people get slammed in and killed on and because of the crap you've got in your configuration none of the people involved in your operation are ever around in the discussions - even on the enemy side attempting to justify and defend the ways they're doing things.

And if you wanna become a safe and competent pilot you can't just swallow, digest, and incorporate the rot that's being fed to you. You've gotta look at the crashes that result from people swallowing, digesting, and incorporating the crap that's fed to them and get involved in the discussions.

Sumpin' to think about...

These photos:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-9Ek9_lFeSII/UZ4KuB0MUSI/AAAAAAAAGyU/eWfhGo4QeqY/s1024/GOPR5278.JPG
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-Xh_NfnOcUns/UZ4Lm0HvXnI/AAAAAAAAGyk/0PlgrHfc__M/s1024/GOPR5279.JPG

went instantly and majorly viral throughout the hang gliding web and the first (amazingly) was used as the cover shot of the April magazine this spring.

How much sense does it make that:

- USHGA and key USHGA players - such as Pagen, Trisa, Peter

- major flight park operations - Quest, Wallaby, Florida Ridge, Lockout, Currituck, Manquin, Ridgely, Morningside, Cloud 9, Cowboy Up

- glider manufacturers - Wills Wing, Moyes, North Wing, Aeros

- self proclaimed top world authority on everything in general and hang glider aerotowing in particular - Jim Keen-Intellect Rooney

- the tug driver who pulled and dumped the glider and appears in the photo:
Joel Froehlich - 46674 - H4 - 2004/11/02 - Karl Hallman - AT FL LGO PL TAT TPL CL FSL RLF TUR XC - BAS INST, OBS, TAND INST
had ZERO public comment?

What kind of smell are you getting off of that? Is this the kind of dynamic you'd expect to see in sailplaning, general aviation, sailboat racing, pro hockey, anything comparable you can think of? All the lower ranks majorly abuzz and the brass across the board silent as a tomb? How reassured does that make you feel?
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

Watching your early flying videos - and damn near all of them at this point are early ones - is an absolute blast for me and, obviously, many others. For those of us who've been around a while - and, unfortunately, due to demographics, cultural and economic shifts, and a great deal of internal crap, the vast majority of hang gliding people have been around awhile and there's not that many of us and the situation is constantly going south - it's an absoluter blast 'cause it brings back memories of our own landmark first steps. All that undiluted joy and happiness.

Bad news...
Zack C - 2010/12/13 04:58:15 UTC

I had a very different mindset too back then and trusted the people that made my equipment. Since then I've realized (largely due to this discussion) that while I can certainly consider the advice of others, I can't trust anyone in this sport but myself.
We need to kill it. It's a major threat to your health and chances for survival.

In a better world, like the ones they have in REAL aviation - theory, equipment, procedures, standards, regulations that all trace straight back to Wilbur and Orville - you could become competent in all the same stuff that Charles Lindberg, Chuck Yeager, Neil Armstrong did, get rated accordingly, gain the respect of your fellow aviators, help others follow in your path.

You try to do the same thing in hang gliding - WATCH OUT. You WILL get multiple stab wounds - mostly in the back.

Here's another version of you:

Aerospace engineering degree, commercial pilot certificate, Delta intern, on her way to the Air National Guard, took a summer job...

...with the scum I helped take over hang gliding in this part of the country a decade and a half ago. Same flavor of scum you're working with at Luling.

They killed her almost instantly, pissed all over her body, then swept her under the carpet.

http://alancockrell.blogspot.com/2011/08/ode-to-keavy.html
Decision Height*: Ode to Keavy
From Keavy's Facebook page: "I love this plane!"
BIG mistake. That piece of JUNK and the scumbags who control it killed her. And it and they represent a totally lethal threat to you as well. And don't think for a nanosecond that if it and/or one of its drivers kills you those scumbags won't piss all over YOUR body and sweep it under the carpet. Just read a few aerotow fatality reports - CAREFULLY - if you don't believe me.

Most of the participants here have gone out in the mainstream and taken principled stands on the behalf of safe and sane aviation practice. And every one who has has experienced a threat, personal attack, lockdown, deletion, restriction, banning, one of the above, several of the above, all of the above, lotsa all of the above.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/hhpa/message/11629
Question
Tad Eareckson - 2010/11/11 23:13:24 UTC

Stay with me in this conversation and I guarantee you that within eighteen months I can make you as frustrated, exasperated, hated, hateful, abusive, isolated, ostracized, lonely, depressed, borderline alcoholic, and suicidal as I am.
Zack C - 2012/08/02 01:30:21 UTC

LOL...you are a prophet.
That's my goal for you. You'll never again be as happy as you were when you started out unless we win the war - and there's no way in hell we're ever gonna win the war. But your likelihood of ending up as a mangled heap on a runway or hillside or in a boulder pile below the ramp, narrow dry riverbed with large rocks strewn all over the place, waist high wheat field, wide open sod farm LZ, or 25 foot radius spot landing circle is gonna plummet.

And there ARE side benefits which help compensate. You WILL get respect from the kinds of people from whom you'd want respect, you'll have a lot of influence in the reform direction, and you'll rack up lotsa really cool toldyasos - and you oughta see what that does to the Jim Keen-Intellect Rooneys of this world.

I'm feeling pretty warm and fuzzy right now 'cause I just totally UNLOADED on the Dragonfly pigfuckers:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TUGS/

and there's not a goddam thing they can do or say 'cause they've been spewing total shit, lying, sweeping stuff under carpets with people watching, painting themselves into corners, setting themselves up for DECADES. And I know where all the bodies are buried and skeletons are hidden.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

http://www.rmhpa.org/messageboard/viewtopic.php?t=4959
Still Breathing and Flying
George Longshore - 2013/07/07 15:16

Well, after being absent from the area for about ten years, I am back in the States. Wife Niki just started aerotowing here in the south Texas flatlands and I am hoping to get her up to Colorado for some real flying sometime in the near future.
She's ALREADY doing REAL flying, George. Flatland flying, in fact, is one helluva lot more real than mountain flying.

I've spent a lot of time on ridges boating around in upward deflected air and circling in drifting thermals generated, collected, concentrated by slopes. Not all that demanding or rewarding.
I have kept current although not at any level I would consider as being ready for 100 mile XCs.
Who cares? As long as you can take off and land safely...
Mostly coastal ridge and dune stuff in the Islands. Still have the soaring Samba trike and a big floaty Falcon and just got Niki a Freedom 170, don't have the topless anymore but looking.

Living in Galveston while Niki attends the A&M Maritime Academy. I'm working in Brazil on a two months on, one month off schedule. Still captaining ships.

If any of you want to knock off some serious miles down here or just some fun flatland thermals the Thermalriders llc tow park out of Luling is an awesome outfit...
Yeah, couple months prior to your post Ben Dunn had a short but really spectacular flight a still from which made it to the cover of the April issue of the national magazine.
...and they are in the perfect spot for throwing long distances off your wing in just about any direction.
Which mountains tend not to be.
Or just flying around and landing back at the field.
Next to your car without having had to shuttle vehicles.
The owners Joel Froelich and Mark Moore are super nice and their equipment is top notch.
Compared to WHAT? How well have you been keeping up with fatality reports?
Hope all the old gaggle is still at it and enjoying the friendly skies safely.
Look me up if you come down this way.
Real friendly place, George. Great club, all really top notch people.
George Longshore
Jim Yocom - 2013/07/13 15:35

You know you are always welcome here George! Bring Nikki up sometime and she can tow behind your former Dragonfly!
http://www.rmhpa.org/messageboard/viewtopic.php?t=3029
HOOK IN
Jim Yocom - 2010/05/05 21:55
Golden

I immediately shoved the glider forward into the air, which put me square on my rear halfway down launch. I sat watching my Wills Wing Ram Air fly away from the hill and make a gentle turn to the left. I was relieved it turned away from the houses below where it might hit someone. The glider continued to turn, making two complete 360s, gaining about fifty feet. Once over launch, it straightened out disappearing over the back. Several PG pilots and I ran back to find the glider upright in a bush with nary a scratch.
Fuck you, Jim.
James Yocum - 27723
- H4 - 1987/09/20 - R. Annis - AT FL AWCL CL FSL RLF TUR XC - AT ADMIN, EXAM, OBS
- P2 - 1995/02/15 - William Laurence
Fuck your idiot instructors, too.

http://www.thermalridersllc.com/Our_Staff.html
Thermalriders Hang gliding Staff
Mark Moore III - Senior Tandem Instructor / Basic Instructor
Joel Froehlich - Tow-Pilot / Tandem Instructor
JP Ducos - Tow-Pilot / FAA Sail Plane Instructor
George Longshore - Tow-Pilot / Tandem Instructor
Danny Jones - Tandem Instructor / Basic Instructor
Don Crouse - Launch Director
Chris Riker - Launch Director

All instructors are United States Hanggliding & Paragliding Association (USHPA) certified instructors.
Ask these guys some basic fundamental questions...

- Are you towing in compliance with FAA weak link regulations?

- What weak links are you using for different gliders, what are their towline tension limits, why are you using those particular strengths, what purpose are they supposed to be serving?

- What are the load capacities of the releases being used and do they meet the standards specified in USHGA's SOPs?

- How long will it take you to teach me to pro tow safely?

I one hundred percent guarantee you you're gonna get total bullshit for responses. And WHEN you do how's that gonna make you feel about THEIR competence and thus YOUR safety?

No, fuck that. How's that gonna make you feel about THEIR competence and thus EVERYBODY's safety?

(Thanks bigtime for this lead, Steve.)
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

Welcome to <BS>, our latest Niki - as far as towing is concerned anyway.

Shortish intro on towing...

Kite Strings is geared towards fixing stuff in hang gliding that's being done wrong and thus the bulk of it addresses towing issues - thousands of posts worth.

Modern hang glider towing evolved from some hypotheses of Donnell Hewett at the beginning of the Eighties. He got one thing mostly right and damn near everything else monumentally WRONG, often totally backwards - literally.

Pretty much everything you're gonna be taught, equipped with, put up on, forced up on, sold by mainstream hang gliding is total crap based upon Donnell's lunatic "Skyting Theory".

Most mainstream towing operations will deliberately design in several gratuitous options for getting you crashed and bent, hurt, crippled, or killed.

The biggie is the Infallible Weak Link that will blow you off tow before you can get into too much trouble. The actual purpose of the weak link is to keep your glider (including and particularly releases) from being overloaded. It's stupid to fly with NO weak link although if you did the increased risk would be about the same as being struck by lightning. But flying with a LIGHT weak link is many thousands of times more dangerous than flying with NO weak link.

A light weak link is one G or less and will frequently override your decision to stay on tow. Count on being stalled for a while - a two or three seconds, occasionally the rest of your life - after a weak link blow.

A SAFE weak link is one and a half times the max certified operating weight of your glider. It will protect your equipment from overload and never break unless you get into a totally tits up situation that you can't afford to ever get into anyway. And if you DO get into such a situation don't expect ANYTHING to keep you alive anyway - not your weak link, driver, release, hook knife, full face helmet, or parachute. Maybe a well placed haystack.

Any release that requires you to fly with one hand on the basetube for a quarter second will be one hundred percent useless in an emergency. If you can make sure that all of your launches will be safely controlled until you clear a couple hundred feet you can get away with them for your entire career - many people do. But if you get hit by a crosswind blast, violent thermal, dust devil, dolly issue, misrouted bridle... count on being FUCKED - slammed, demolished, crippled, vegged, quaded, killed. Also count on a bunch of hang gliding industry and community douchebags talking about you having waited too long, made no effort to release, just frozen, died doing what you loved.

Releases need to be able to handle loads. You need to be able to blow the max a safe weak link will allow with negligible effort.

If you can learn how to safely fly a totally decertified glider you can learn how to safely aerotow one point ("pro tow"). Keep us posted on how it goes.

DO NOT EVER foot launch UNLESS:
- you REALLY wanna fly
- the available environment isn't platform or dolly doable
- you have somebody really good on the other end
- you can really keep things under control
- your glider is capable of rolling or skidding a couple feet if something bad happens

Dragonflies cannot be safely towed behind because:
- they're designed to not be able to handle loads
- virtually all the people flying them are total morons or much worse

Never trust anyone. Especially never trust anyone who tells you he's an expert because he's been towing for twenty years. There's nothing important in towing that can't be learned in twenty minutes - 'cept for a little getting used to the response of the glider under tow.
<BS>

Post by <BS> »

Welcome to <BS>, our latest Niki - as far as towing is concerned anyway.
Thanks for the welcome and the intro.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

http://ozreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=54675
Niki finds the dragon
Davis Straub - 2018/01/01 13:41:49 UTC

Glider blows up

Niki Longshore writes:
Forbes task 3: It was all going so well. I was charging and catching up to the first gaggle with my hang gliding hero's. Jonny and Attila were just ahead and I was determined to get to them. I did, and even got out ahead! It was perfect. I couldn't have planned for it to be better.

I was with Dr. Craig for the most part. We found a good climb, Craig and I consistently left as the gaggle came to us. I pulled VG, saw Craig sinking bad off to the right so I veered to the left.

I hit the nastiest air. No warning whatsoever.

Nose up, then straight down. No bar pressure, face down, and then my glider blew up.

I couldn't believe it.

Luckily I was over 8,000 feet. I had enough time to pull my chute which didn't deploy right away. It had wrapped around my neck and my wing tip. My glider was behind me with only the keel in front. I looked up to see if the chute opened and it didn't. I first unwrapped it from my neck and then gave it a good tug. It was nice to see it inflate but I was still spiraling down uncontrollably.

Needless to say, it was not a good feeling. I didn't want it to be the end but reality set in and I realized it could. Not to add to the drama but it was a pretty traumatic experience. I pulled out my radio to tell the hooligans I love them, and to pass the word onto my family. I also had enough time to pull out my SPOT tracker to send an emergency SOS.

After that I thought about how I could get the glider under control with nothing in front of me except for the keel. I could only use my legs to try to push it to the right to counter the spiral. It worked for a few seconds, then it started spiraling again.

I had a few minutes to think about my life and my loved ones, and how much it was going to hurt when I arrived back to earth.

I could see Jonny off to the side spiraling down with me. What a guy. Jonny, you are amazing.

Within the last 500 feet I was able to stop the spiral by kicking the keel.

I landed in a perfect paddock, between two trees, right next to the road, and into the wind.

Unbelievable.

The touchdown was pretty gentle, but my left ankle took a vertical crush. Me and ankles = no good.

The way I was spiraling down compared to where I had landed and how gentle it was, my guardian angel was looking over me. Power lines behind me, a fence and trees in front. I was saved.

Jonny landed same moment as I did. We hugged, thankful nothing bad had happened. Tina arrived, Ollie, and Lenny. Judi found me thanks to radio calls being relayed through the air. There was no signal where I had landed. They helped pack my wreckage away. Thank you all, and thank you Jonny for coming down with me. You are a gem.

My brand new glider is completely destroyed. Sail ripped, every batten broken in half or bent, keel completely destroyed. My dingle dangle, which keeps me attached to my glider was almost ripped off. Sprogs detached. My glider is toast, but I'm still here. The only thing I can save is my base bar which is still solid.

I am lucky, thankful, and so happy to be writing this to you.

I don't know what happened, why it did, or why I'm here, but I'm here to tell you I believe it was my guardian angel. ???? Thank you Jesus for another day.

And that is my tumbling experience. I never want to come down under canopy again.
I love you all. Have a happy new year indeed.
http://ozreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=54706
Niki Reflects
Davis Straub - 2018/01/04 12:28:08 UTC

Mysteries

Niki Longshore writes:
Status Update: I am the team Hooligan driver now as our wonderful Madam Hooliganette Judi needs a break :) I would love to be in the air racing, but I do not have a parachute or a harness. My parachute was blown into the barbed wire fence minutes after I landed, and my Tenax harness has bad juju all over it. It never fit quite right anyway. Good thing Gecko Girl won a new Moyes harness ;)

I have also been trying to thank each and every one of you personally for your kindness. I am overwhelmed, and the messages keep coming.

Anyway, here's a breakdown and update for anyone interested. I will try not to be repeatitive.

The tumble: It was instant; blink of an eye. Everyone who saw couldn't believe it either. Sure we were racing through some turbulent air, but this was a mystery.

The pitch over was so abrupt and with so much force. I felt like I was being sucked towards the ground at 100 mph. The only thing I could do was keep the base bar pulled in with my knuckles turning a brighter shade of white. I could feel and hear my glider explode as I fell forward through the control frame. The base bar ripped out of my hands, and I fell into the sail. I dangled around as the glider started spinning, in disbelief of what had happened. "Not good," I thought. The rest you already know what happened...

Instruments: All of my instruments stopped tracking about 10 km before the fall. The tracks for my 6030, Airtribune, and SPOT tracker all paused and stopped recording. My Digifly broke away from its mount and tether so it is long gone. We all would have been interested to see what the track looked like on the computer, but I have no data! Also very mysterious, I would say.

SOS: Even more mysterious was the absence of EMS upon sending an SOS. I was able to pull out my SPOT tracker to send an SOS as I was spiraling down. Emergency services were never informed yet my primary contact still received the SOS message. I pay for the extra GEOS search and rescue services so it was a real disappointment to see it did not work. I am in contact with SPOT now to see what went wrong. I'll post an update when I find out what happened. So far they are giving me a free upgrade for 2.5 minute tracking opposed to 10.

Conditions: It's Forbes, baby. We come here for these conditions! I did feel a bit scared on practice day and I flew very conservatively exiting the thermals, gliding no more than 80kph in between thermals, and keeping VG 3/4 or less. I talked to the boys afterwards who did not feel it was rough, so that night I had a cup of concrete to harden up. (Insert Chopper emoji here). Yeww! Get it intya.

Confidence: I grew more confident each day as I adapted to the hardcore air. The concrete was doing me good. On the day of the tumble I was gliding over 90 kph to catch up to Jonny and Attila and ditch the gaggle behind. I kept my VG mostly at 3/4, sometimes in the red. When I pulled away from the gaggle, I was in the red when I tumbled.

Luck: It's a race. We all charge, we all fly fast, and we all have white knuckles when it gets gnarly. Guy and Vic both had some scary experiences close to the ground on practice day and one of the tasks. Vic did an unintended loop as he was on final glide approaching the LZ on practice day. Guy got pitched really bad and thought he was going to tail slide low to the ground as well on task 2. I was unlucky to tumble, but very lucky everything else unfolded as it did.

Mystery: It was a very mysterious day! From the air I hit, to my instruments not working, EMS never being notified, and simply how I arrived back to earth without injury. There are no explanations. Again, I am so happy to be here. Plus I have a really cool story to tell when I'm old and gray and still flying hang gliders ;)

Conclusion: As for now I am enjoying the competition as a driver, I am enjoying my Hooligan family, and the beautiful people in our sport. I also had a chat with the legend himself. After falling from the sky 5 times, Bill said "Walk the earth for a while and enjoy it. You can still learn from the ground." Thank you Bill Moyes, you are a legend.

Like I said before, I would love to be racing in the sky, especially since I had started off so well in the comp, but I am happy to drive for my team, The Hooligans. I feel good and I am very, very happy.

And here's the video of a lot of the descent phase of the incident:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7XcOBN7fTQ
Niki Longshaws long drop
Neale Halsall - 2018/01/08

some video of Niki Longshaw descending under parachute after her wing broke up in nasty air at Forbes flatlands comp 2018, task 3, captured with smart phone , quality is not great, abit like where's wally, look for the red parachute, Johnny Durand spiralled down with her to assist when she thankfully landed well in a clear spot near a road.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7XcOBN7fTQ

Eight sequences and I'll help you find the spinning wreckage at the beginning of each.
1 - bottom right corner
2 - lower left
3 - about a third of the way in from the bottom left corner and near bottom edge - note brief appearance of Jonny Durand's gliders at bottom edge to Niki's left about half way to the left edge
4 - bottom right corner
5 - bottom right corner
6 - bottom right corner
7 - near bottom edge about a third in from the right and just to the left of the dirt road
8 - bottom right corner - grounded just in the clear to the left of road and associated trees

Have so far been unable to locate the incident site. Task 3, 2018/01/01, Forbes to Wellington to north of Gulgong (-32.2985, 149.5573).