Wheels

General discussion about the sport of hang gliding
Steve Davy

Re: Wheels

Post by Steve Davy »

That was intended to be a joke, birukobu. :)
birukobu

Post by birukobu »

Hah!! Now I understood you!!
But seriously: I took that video on saturday during the training of Saint-Petersburg hang gliding club "Sokol" (Falcon) (it is in north of Russian Federation)
All our students have wheels on base bar, but also all of them are trained to land on feet. Maybe it is because of we do not have flat enough grass fields, but a lot of swamps, stones and bushes. Especially in winter time it is very difficult to land on wheels due to deep snow. Sometimes we are flying on the Finish bay (on Baltic sea) and in that case it's better to install ski like here
or here
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1rOwCSzjzM
Steve Davy

Post by Steve Davy »

Hello birukobu,

I do not understand the reason for the very short rope seen in the video that you posted above.

A longer rope would be more safe, yes?
birukobu

Post by birukobu »

So short tow line is only for training purpose. It just for first step of static line towing training. The idea is to not have strong connection of the towing line to quadricycle, but, as you can see, one of the people hold the rope by his hands and continuosly seeing to pilot. There are two diameters of ropes - bigger rope to hold it in hands and small one - ordinary 4 mm Dynema wire. Doing this way we trying to provide more safety for beginners. In case of some dangerous situations operator just release the rope or can't physically continue hold of the rope due to much force.
<BS>

Post by <BS> »

birukobu wrote:Maybe it is because of we do not have flat enough grass fields, but a lot of swamps, stones and bushes.
We have a similar problem.
Narrow dry riverbeds with large rocks strewn all over the place.
<BS>

Post by <BS> »