General discussion about the sport of hang gliding
Tad Eareckson

Re: Manifesto

Post by Tad Eareckson »

http://ozreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=39347
Please explain yourself without deleting me
Orion Price - 2014/10/01 00:15:56 UTC

The problem with tad:

1. He's been writing the FAA trying to get aero-tow governmently regulated according to his protocol. If you chance upon his faux scholarly-ish article about areo tow safety you will see a window into the mind of a mad man. It's like 80 pages of ASCII text drawings of his Rube Goldberg designs. He's been mailing, and emailing his article to government agencies. I'm sure his communications get filed along with alien sightings, crop circles, and perpetual motion machines the FAA receives from other crackpots. Still weird behavior.
OK, OP...

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/skysailingtowing/message/7048
AT SOPs - proposed revisions
Tad Eareckson - 2009/05/09 14:33:21 UTC

Anybody wanna give this a skim and check for punctuation errors and stuff before I click it off to my new pen pal in a couple of days?

---

Gregory T. French
Aviation Safety Inspector
800 Independence Avenue
AFS 810 Room 832J
Federal Aviation Administration
Washington DC 20591-0001
202-493-5474
gregory.french@faa.gov

Dear Mr. French:

I am writing to you regarding concerns I have with the United States Hang Gliding and Paragliding Association's Standard Operating Procedures and practices regarding the conduct of the towing of unpowered by powered ultralight vehicles as allowed under FAA Exemption 4144.

As the principles involved in towing hang gliders are identical to those concerning sailplanes we should be modeling our protocols on techniques understood, accepted, and proven many decades ago in conventional aviation rather than making feeble and misguided efforts to reinvent these wheels.

The current SOPs - available at http://www.ushpa.aero - are problematic in terms of validity, scope, consistency, and compliance and these deficiencies translate to a great many minor crashes and incidents and a few very serious injuries and deaths.

The key to conducting safe towing operations is CONTROL. The Dragonfly tugs typically employed have more than enough of it but the gliders at the other end of the tow line most assuredly do not and cannot afford to squander any of their already limited potential.

Lacking the movable control surfaces of conventional aircraft, weight shift hang gliders are relatively sluggish in response and often require a great deal of physical effort to keep under control - especially on tow.

It is not an uncommon occurrence for hang gliders to be thrown by thermal turbulence (which is the reason they are launching in the first place) out of position to the point at which the tow is not recoverable and must be aborted. Occasionally significant altitude is lost during recovery and if that altitude is not available the pilot has virtually no chance of survival.

The control of a hang glider requires two hands at all times.

If the above statement is something of an oversimplification the following is not.

During a crisis situation - especially on tow - any relinquishment of a grip for so much as a fraction of a second can have lethal consequences.

From the current SOPs:
A release must be placed at the hang glider end of the tow line within easy reach of the pilot.
The concept of an "easy reach" in a low level crisis situation is a completely oxymoronic MYTH. The technology to allow a pilot to maintain torque on the basetube with both hands while instantly actuating a release is cheap, has been available since the introduction of the Dragonfly in 1991, and has absolutely no downsides. The people who have a good idea what they are doing in this sport accept nothing less. The vast majority, however, need to be protected from themselves and a culture which operates under the philosophy that noncompliant second and third rate equipment is acceptable because crisis situations are rare and can usually be mitigated by someone at the front end of the tow line.

While at least the concept - if not the practice - of being able to get off tow while maintaining control of the glider is universally accepted there is virtually no understanding that losing the tow at an inopportune moment can be every bit as lethal as not being able to terminate it.

Center of mass hang gliding towing was initiated in the UK three decades ago and was not widely accepted and implemented in the US and elsewhere for several years after that and hang gliding culture has never been able to shake its genetic memory of the period prior during which it was ALWAYS safer to be off tow than on.

The combination of low altitude and high angle of attack is one of the most dangerous to which one can subject an aircraft. And an aircraft under normal tow tension will ALWAYS experience an abrupt and dramatic increase in angle of attack when a release is actuated or a weak link fails.
The weak link at the glider end must have a breaking strength that will break before the towline tension exceeds twice the weight of the hang glider pilot and glider combination.
While USHPA requires a tug to be able to generate a minimum of 250 pounds of thrust and has circulated an advisory warning of the lethality of releasing a low partially stalled glider, its failure to specify a MINIMUM allowable weak link strength renders these policy positions almost completely without substance.

Hang gliding has adopted a loop of a particular type of one millimeter line - 130 pound Cortland Greenspot Braided Dacron Trolling Line - installed on one end of a bridle as its universal standard weak link for solo gliders of any weight or size based on the untested assumption that this loop fails at 260 pounds. It, in fact, frequently fails in flight at a half to a quarter or less of that figure.

Weak link breaks occur with monotonous frequency for all but the lightest of gliders and resulting crashes are commonplace - though most, in no small part thanks to the low stall speeds, are relatively minor.

As hang gliding culture has convinced itself that these weak links have become the only acceptable option for some long forgotten rational reason, flight park operators, tug pilots, and event and competition organizers very commonly refuse to allow medium light gliders and up to use anything which puts them at anywhere close to a reliable 1.0 Gs - a figure I view as the absolute minimum for expectation of a safe and reliable tow.
The weak link at the tow plane end of the towline should break with a towline tension approximately 100lbs. greater than the glider end.
This point MUST NOT be any more of an OPTION in hang gliding than it is in sailplane towing. It is extremely dangerous for a hang glider to be trailing 250 feet of Spectra routed in front of his basetube following a front end weak link break at low altitude.
A weak link must be placed at both ends of the tow line.
Most tugs and virtually all gliders engage the tow line by means of a bridle which runs through a ring on the end of the tow line. Separation is typically achieved by releasing one end of the bridle which allows it to but does not guarantee that it will run through and clear the ring.

Weak links are typically installed on the ends of bridles rather than of tow lines. Unless weak links are installed at both ends of bridles the weak link is removed from the equation in the event of a bridle wrap. Thus introducing this failure mode was formerly prescribed and almost universal practice and is still quite common today.
This release shall be operational with zero tow line force up to twice the rated breaking strength of the weak link.
By failing to define both a minimum allowable weak link rating and a maximum allowable required release actuation force this requirement is completely meaningless. Twenty-five pounds is a widely recognized top allowable required actuation force and releases should be able to function well under this limit at 2 Gs of tow line tension and 350 pounds of direct loading.

Gliders are almost universally equipped with extremely poorly designed releases which have been demonstrated on the ground and in the air to come nowhere close to any reasonable interpretation of the existing requirement.
Must give a complete discussion of aero tow vehicle operations including all normal and emergency procedures, and signals between aero tow pilot and glider pilot, in accordance with the USHPA Aero towing Guidelines.
The referenced Aerotowing Guidelines are not available at the USHPA website and apparently do not exist. Past editions I have archived from unofficial sources are rife with inconsistencies and dangerous misinformation.

Finally, even if the glider pilot takes the initiative to stray from the mainstream and properly equip himself and is ALLOWED to tow with a weak link of something approaching adequate strength, he still can, through no fault of his own, find himself in a situation in which his life is entirely dependent upon the tug pilot's understanding of equipment and emergency procedures.

As discussed above, unnecessary weak link failures must be regarded as potentially lethal events, not mildly annoying background noise as is now the case. The tug pilot must take seriously his responsibility of ensuring that his weak link not be the first to go.

And the tug pilot must understand that robbing the glider of the time, airspeed, power, and option to climb out of a dangerous situation should almost never be his first reaction to a crisis situation.

Situations in which Dragonflies find themselves in imminent danger as a consequence of having a glider on tow and out of position are somewhere between rare and nonexistent and when not jeopardized himself the tug pilot must take very seriously a decision to override the glider pilot's option to remain on tow. Unfortunately, due to inadequacies of training and failures of education, many tug pilots believe that there is no problem too large, serious, complicated, or inappropriate to be solved by an immediate squeeze of a release lever.

For many years I have tried to work within the community, culture, and organization of hang gliding to address these and other safety issues but have had little success beyond the conversion of a few isolated individuals. I believe the lack of a critical mass of understanding of the fundamental physics associated with towing within hang gliding which will prevent any significant improvement in our situation as a result of internal efforts. Conflict of interest issues may be a significant barrier as well.

Hang gliding in the United States is supposed to be primarily a self regulated aeronautical activity but over the course of the quarter century since the issuance of Exemption 4144 it has done a poor job of following even the bare minimum of its own hopelessly inadequate rules and the consequences of self regulation morphing into no regulation whatsoever have occasionally been catastrophic.

I feel that an outside review of the manner in which operations are being conducted would be the first step to helping improve the technology and safety of aerotowing to the long term benefit of all involved.

Thank you very much for your attention to this important matter.

Sincerely,
Tad Eareckson
And then I waited for over five and a half months for one of you motherfuckers to point out a single punctuation mark that needed revision or deletion before I dropped anything into the mailbox and guess how much I got in the way of response.

You're simultaneously sure that my communicationS get filed along with the alien sightings, crop circles, and perpetual motion machines the FAA receives from other crackpots and terrified that I'm gonna get areo-tow governmently regulated according to my protocol. So just how many of you motherfuckers have written the FAA to discredit any of my concerns and make SURE that my communications get filed along with the alien sightings, crop circles, and perpetual motion machines?

That's what any LEGITIMATE person would do. But LEGITIMATE people up in the hang gliding power hierarchy are ONE HUNDRED PERCENT NONEXISTENT. They're all cockroaches like you - focused entirely on suppressing free speech and open discourse.

By the way...

Does the FAA actually GET any communications about alien sightings, crop circles, perpetual motion machines? Doesn't it get a bit painful reaching up your ass as far and frequently as you do?
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

http://www.shga.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=4574
Drogue use in the LZ
Ken Andrews (Site Administrator) - 2014/10/23 05:30:05 UTC
Pasadena

Restricting access to the pilot forum

I confess I don't see a compelling reason to restrict access to the pilot forum.
Nobody but your sleazy little OP does. His compelling reasons - fear, cowardice.
My general belief is that if something isn't suitable for the world at large to read, then it's probably better not to post it on a forum in the first place, whatever the access policy. One reason is simply pragmatic: an interesting secret shared among 149 people (our current membership) isn't likely to stay secret for long. Another is philosophical: I prefer a free and open environment, where everyone is welcome to read and learn and contribute, instead of a compartmentalized one, where some people are included and others are excluded.
OP's concept of Utopia.
If something sensitive just has to be said, then there are plenty of more controlled ways of doing so, such as email, or a face-to-face conversation.
Cite something that would meet your concept of sensitive that's ever appeared on SHGA's forum.
As OP notes, there are trolls out there who search for material on the pilot forum to use against the SHGA, or against hang gliding.
- A TROLL - by definition - cannot be OUT THERE. He's gotta be IN HERE.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=troll
troll
One who posts a deliberately provocative message to a newsgroup or message board with the intention of causing maximum disruption and argument
A troll is NOT someone anywhere within hearing range of Planet Earth who says something you disagree with or don't like. You want ACTUAL trolls I highly recommend Davis Straub, Jim Rooney, Marc Fink, Ryan Voight, Bob Kuczewski, Sam Kellner, Orion Price, Jack Axaopoulos.

- There are? Sounds pretty serious. Can you name some of them? What are their tactics? What kind of success have they had? How much damage have they been able to do?

These guys sound pretty dangerous...

http://www.shga.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=3638
FTHI
Mike Blankenhorn - 2012/10/26 02:39:07 UTC

Wow, I never saw it put quite like that before. Great write up!
People could read their stuff, start doing hook-in checks, get false senses of security.
Let them; so long as we're running a good organization...
How do you know what that's like?
...we can withstand the scrutiny. Curiously, my experience over the years has been that the ones most determined to stir up trouble for the SHGA are members themselves.
Maybe the definitions of trouble those members have are different from yours. But what do I know... You could be doing everything perfectly...

http://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5566/14704620965_ce30a874b7_o.png

...already.
A pilot forum with access restricted to SHGA members wouldn't keep those folks out. Well, I suppose their access could “accidentally” be disabled, but we'd have to keep that a secret.
Doesn't THIS motherfucker:
Orion Price - 2014/10/21 17:09:25 UTC

As internet peeps have been mining our incident sub for their glory, i'm going to be polluting it with all my posts until chip makes it subscribeable only.
fit the definition of a troll a lot better than T** at K*** S******?

Sonuvabitch has started five bullshit topics in "Safety and Incidents in flight" in order to try to extort the club into going into permanent paranoia mode. I'da banned his spammer ass in a New York minute.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

Joe Faust - 2014/03/07 15:58:01 UTC

Below I quote without giving name...
Orion Price.
...as I do not have permission to identify the person yet:

START OF QUOTE:
Is it possible to remove Tad Eareckson's postulation from your server? He is a generally discounted crackpot whom doesn't advance much of anything.

He threatened to advise the FAA about our dangerous activities. After much discouragement from the USHPA...
Rich Hass - 2014/11/14
President, United States Hang Gliding and Paragliding Association, Inc.

USHPA requires helmets for both occupants when flying tandem. USHPA requires pilots to wear protective headgear when flying at USHPA-insured sites. USHPA's Basic Safety Requirements require protective headgear while in flight. I checked, and I don't see any requirement for helmets/protective headgear when kiting. Gabriel Jebb wasn't teaching at a USHPA-insured site and he wasn't flying. As such, he didn't directly violate USHPA guidelines or SOP's. If there is such a requirement and I missed it, please bring it to my attention.

At the same time, I think we all agree - instructors need to set a good example when it comes to best practices. When instructors are demonstrating inflation techniques, they should be wearing a helmet - as should their students. After your incident was brought to USHPA's attention, Greg Kelley, as chair of S&T, contacted Gabriel and discuss the importance of the hemet requirement whenever clipped in. This was done before your email below was even received.

In the future, consider working with your regional directors or the S&T committee to resolve issues like these. No need to get yourself arrested unless you are doing it for the sake of publicity. USHPA won't get involved in your dispute with the Gliderport. Regarding this latest stunt, It will be up to the court to decide the matter, now.

Bob, I couldn't help but notice that the very detailed description of the incident you posted fails to mention the number of times you've confronted instructors at the Gliderport. It also fails to mention how your decision to serve as a paid expert witness, testifying against the Gliderport and USHPA instructors may have influenced how Gabriel responded to your passive/aggressive attempt to harass him while he was teaching. You've offered yourself up as an expert witness on the management of flight parks for the purpose of discrediting the concession operation. If the people reading your account of this most recent confrontation understood the backstory, it would certainly help them frame an understanding as to why Gabriel responded as he did when he saw you filming. I'm just saying, if you are as open and as transparent as you claim to be and as you expect others to be, why not let the flying community know you have agreed to receive compensation as an expert witness, where the outcome could involve closure of a landmark flying site? Yes, I know you claim that's not your stated goal and you say you don't intend to pocket the money you earn as an expert witness but the facts are, you did agree to the compensation and you are doing everything possible to disrupt Gliderport operations, where the end result may put the site at risk rather than simply causing a change in management.

You are free to serve as an expert witness. I'm just suggesting that you be honest about it. People have a right to know what their candidate for RD is up to.

One last thing: You are no Rosa Parks. Your self-described comparison to her is insulting and demeaning to those who put their lives on the line during the civil rights movement. There is no comparison. None.

Thanks,

Rich

PS - If you or anyone chooses to cross-post or quote from my response, please post it in its entirety.
...he still sent it in. His ill-lettered advice was unintelligible and disregarded by the FAA. His ASCII colored text is still found on your server. As a younger person trying to keep free flight alive, I request you stop publishing Eareckson's letters.

I hope you publish all factual and critical observations about our flight. I want to advance safer free flight. I don't want weirdos having an artificial pulpit.
But, anonymous younger person trying to keep free flight alive, when for the crime of taking pictures at a flying site, a public park, one of your fairly close neighbor hang glider buddies who's been battling for many years at great personal, financial, social, political cost to himself to keep hang gliding from being snuffed out of existence at one of the country's most important flying sites gets physically assaulted, charged with trespassing, arrested, handcuffed, thrown in jail, and pissed all over by USHPA you don't do shit. Keep up the great work, OP.

All mouth, no brains, balls, or integrity.