Releases

General discussion about the sport of hang gliding
bobk

Re: Releases

Post by bobk »

Warnarr wrote:"Brothers" not uncles..
No, the "Banned of Brothers" is the other forum. :lol:

Good to see you here Warren (thumbsup).

I'm going to stay out of most of this debate. The Torrey Hawks has about 230 members. There are probably as many issues ( paper or plastic? / conservative or liberal? / Ginger or MaryAnn? ) that could shred that group into little pieces. So I try to keep those folks focussed on the one topic where we can all agree and work together - preserving and protecting the sport of hang gliding at Torrey Pines. If they want to join some other forum and beat each other to a pulp, then I can't stop them. But within our club's forum, I try to keep us all working toward the common goal that we all share.

OK, that's all I need to say. Carry on Gentlemen!! :)
Join a National Hang Gliding Organization: US Hawks at ushawks.org
Warnarr

Post by Warnarr »

Put a gun to my head and I would choose Mary Ann!

The 'debate' (that hasn't happened) isn't about paper or plastic but the difference between freedom and slavery.
Forgive my poor communication skills for not yet getting that point across.

You are traveling again and you haven't answered, Choice: naked radiation strip search or hands on sexual molestation? If you are lucky you may get both!
With three you get a free rectal exam!
That ain't freedom.

It's not CO2 that is destroying life as we know it.
It's the slimy lying Nazis that are playing a grand chessgame with the world's people as the pawns.
Those that herd the herd. The secret government that is an open conspiracy..
It's all documented. It's history, it's white papers. It's in our face.
The dots all connect and the picture isn't pretty.
It's better to see the picture than ignore it.

Free scary movie:
End Game: Blueprint For Global Enslavement
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=1070329053600562261#

Eugenics is the end game. We are being poisoned. In the water. In the food and in the air.
I'm an enviornmentalist and I don't like it!

I don't like being lied to. I don't like my grand children being poisoned. I don't like their minds being poisoned.
I want freedom. I want clean air. I want freedom.

STOP forcing the chemicals down our throats! Stop poisoning the planet.
Stop Monsanto.. stop the senseless killing.. stop the endless wars.

As an ex-Ranger, (is there such a thing as an ex-ranger?) your head must be far past the shut off off point.
Resistance to crazy conspiracy theories is our programming.. except when the conspiracy theory comes from the benevolent experts we are trained to worship. Lick the hand that beats us..

As Homeland Security slips their hand down your pants tonight, maybe you'll reach that tipping point..
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=21033
barrels release without any tension except weight of rope..
deltaman - 2011/02/25 18:33:03 UTC

You are low just after AT take off and the tug just break its weaklink and loose the tow rope. So, now, as the hangglider pilot you have to release quickly before the rope possibly hook on anything on the ground, but there is no tension anymore..

Now my question:
Is it possible to release with a barrels (protow release) without any tension except the weight of a part of the tow rope ?..
Here's the problem, Delta...

http://ozreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=865
Tandem pilot and passenger death
Mike Van Kuiken - 2005/10/13 19:47:26 UTC

The weak link broke from the tow plane side. The towline was found underneath the wreck, and attached to the glider by the weaklink. The glider basically fell on the towline.
You may already be dead at this point. (Two people were killed instantly on that one.)

In REAL aviation they REQUIRE a MINIMUM rating on the back end weak link which is HIGHER than shitheads like Jim Rooney "ALLOW" and they REQUIRE the tug end weak link to be stronger than the back end weak link.

Anybody with half a brain or better knows that a hang glider weak link much under one and a half Gs is dangerous as hell but there are only about half a dozen aerotow pilots with half a brain or better so damn near everyone uses a single loops of 130 pound Greenspot on a bridle end - like the one you have in your pictures - 'cause every other clueless asshole uses a single loops of 130 pound Greenspot on a bridle end.

Questions... Why are you using:
- a single loop of 130 pound Greenspot on a bridle end and at what G rating does that put you?
- that particular G rating?

Yeah. I thought so.

But when I tell Jim Rooney to go fuck himself and hook up behind him with a one and a half G weak link - which I HAVE DONE - his weak link is still lighter than mine when it's fresh and neither he nor any of the other shitheads at Ridgely give a rat's ass about their weak link so even the 130 pound Greenspot morons end up with the towline not infrequently.

Yeah, you SHOULD be prepared to get and deal with the rope for three reasons...
- The tug may experience an emergency which necessitates him dumping you instantly and without warning to keep him from being killed.
- The towline may fail.
- The front end weak link may fail.

But while there may be a good excuse for One, there's almost no excuse for Two, and there's no fucking excuse whatsoever for Three.
Bart Weghorst - 2011/02/25 19:06:26 UTC
Cowboy Up Hang Gliding
Jackson Hole

Most of the time. But I've had it once where the pin had bent inside the barrel from excessive tow force. My weaklink was still intact. The tug pilot's weaklink broke so I had the rope. I had to use two hands to get the pin out of the barrel.

No stress because I was high.
Well DUH! What the hell did you expect it to do? It was bent before you connected. Did you expect it to get straighter during the tow?
The United States Hang Gliding and Paragliding Association, Inc.
Standard Operating Procedure
12. Rating System
02. Pilot Proficiency System
10. Hang Gliding Aerotow Ratings
-B. Aero Vehicle Requirements

06. A release must be placed at the hang glider end of the tow line within easy reach of the pilot. This release shall be operational with zero tow line force up to twice the rated breaking strength of the weak link.
But why bother making the slightest effort to adhering to hang gliding "regulations" anyway? After all - it's HANG GLIDING dude! Just do whatever the fuck you want.

Do you use this same piece o' shit release for tandem? (Rhetorical question.)

Yeah, don't worry. No stress 'cause you're high. And no fucking way this is gonna happen when you're low. (Something to do with the Van Allen Belt.)
deltaman - 2011/02/25 19:10:48 UTC

Thanks for replying.
But except for the defect of the release..
Aside from that bit of unpleasantness during Act III, Scene 2, Mrs. Lincoln...
Is the weight of a small part of the tow rope enough to use barrels with ONE hand. In france we don't use a carrabiner on the tow rope (that is an interesting weight in this case) just a ring..
WHY THE HELL ARE YOU *STILL* MORE CONCERNED ABOUT DUMPING A *SLACK* LINE UNDER *NO* TENSION WHEN YOU *JUST HEARD* THAT THE SHITRIGGED "RELEASE" YOU'RE USING WILL WELD ITSELF SHUT UNDER *NORMAL* TENSION???
Steven Leiler (kermit) - 2011/02/25 19:19:29 UTC
Durham, Connecticut

The weight of the rope would be more than enough to pull out the pin if everything is working properly.

Going somewhere with this?
Never mind, Delta. The rest of these people are total morons too.
Dennis Wood - 2011/02/25 19:20:43 UTC
Suffolk, Virginia

what is the vid supposed to be demonstrating? i'm confused, again...
Oh, peanuts... You? Confused?
Nibs - 2011/02/25 19:22:53 UTC
Atlanta

This exact scenario happened to me on my first solo aerotow. The tug engine sputtered so the pilot gave me the rope at about 100' or so. I thought I must have broken a weak link but then I looked and saw that I still had the rope. The weight of the rope is not enough to make a barrel release work...
If you use a stupid, piece o' shit Bailey release - yeah.
...but it isn't that big of a deal.
Nah, no BFD whatsoever. As long as you don't have big P-factor spirals of towline coming at you - like Ollie Gregory did at the 2005 ECC - or the loose end of the towline ties itself to something on the ground - like it did for Shane Smith two and a half months ago.
I just grabbed the tow rope with one hand, held it steady, and pulled the barrel release with the other, problem solved. But no, I don't see how you could do it with one hand. Why would you need to do it with one hand though... it only takes about 1.5 seconds.
Yeah, Nibs. I drive my car and ride my bicycle under that assumption all the time. I can't possibly conceive of ANY situation in hang gliding when it wouldn't be perfectly OK to take both hands off the bar for a second and a half.
deltaman - 2011/02/25 19:42:48 UTC

Why I ask ? cause some french pilots aren't confident with this release for that..
I never had trouble.

A tow rope is maybe 20gr/m so 100 feet high represents 600gr (without carabiner). It's like more than 2 coke cans. It should be enough to release in tension...

What do you think?
Maybe you should be more concerned about "If" than "What do".
Craig Hassan - 2011/02/25 19:52:46 UTC
Ohio

I use a barrel on each shoulder. Easier to dump everything with the second barrel, than to pull out the hook knife and try to cut the line.

My primary barrel is pretty loose, and probably would work with just line tension. My secondary bridle would need help, like Nibs mentioned. Grab the rope, grab the barrel and pull them apart.
So why are you using a secondary barrel that's even crappier than your primary?
In any case I have always assume it will not work and have taken the necessary actions.
Instead of using something that isn't a piece o' shit that you can assume WILL work. (I admire your sense of sportsmanship.)
(scooter towing I went thru a lot of line breaks and such.)
Yeah, you might as well use shit towline and such so everything matches.
As I sit here going thru the motions in my head, it shouldn't take more than 4 or 5 seconds to grab the rope and pull.
Yeah, if a second and a half is no BFD four or five shouldn't be either. Hell, Todd did fine fucking around with his hook knife for forty-three over that lakebed a year ago. Why don't we use that as an acceptable standard? Oh hell, let's round it off to forty-five. Nah, make it an even one minute - easier to remember, same as our weak links.
That is if you have a little trouble finding it. My barrels are also on a short leash so they stay pretty close to the same place regardless if being pulled forwards or draping backwards. That way I can find them easy enough.
Yeah, and I put a string between my teeth so the issue of "finding it" doesn't enter into the equation. But I'm nowhere near as good a pilot as you are.
Nibs - 2011/02/25 19:58:26 UTC

The barrels I have are VERY hard to pull... there is no way even a full length tow rope is going to offer enough resistance to make the barrel release.

I did hear about a double-way release barrel a couple of years ago. You can push or pull the barrel to release. Not sure who makes them or if they are available but it would solve the problem.
Or you could just design - or copy a design of - a sane barrel release which requires virtually no pull whatsoever. But it's so much more fun to further shitrig the kind of crap you're using.
Craig Hassan - 2011/02/25 20:01:54 UTC

There are a bunch of different barrel releases. Some have thicker webbing, some thinner, some have bigger barrels bent pins, straight pins, etc...etc...
Yeah, everything's just random, there's no predictability to anything, so just slap together whatever shit you have lying around the garage, throw it up in the air, and see what does or doesn't happen.
So some may, and some may not release. As I mentioned, assume they won't and it'll only take you a few seconds to drop the line.
Yeah, it's not like a total douchebag like you can conceive of anything that you can assume will.
deltaman - 2011/02/25 20:08:26 UTC

yes chassan, for me it s not a pb. But I'd like french pilots use their own weaklink on their harness and not anymore on the line. They have to use a release with a briddle, barrels or whichard which can work with pull and push (I didn't know that a pro tow release like this could exist).
I build some barrels and I saw that the breadth of the loop is important to configure the effort to release..
Are you using bent pins? (Rhetorical.)

WHY? (Not rhetorical.)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/aerotowrelease/8307303546/
Greg Pierson - 2011/02/27 20:13:11 UTC
Dunlap, California

Release that has never failed me

Platform and scooter tow experience. Not sure if these are still being made. Perhaps Mojo gear has a few.
Peter Birren are you still on this list?? Mid west tow master.
He designed and had them manufactured. Easy simple would be real hard to make it fail.

http://www.mojosgear.com/mojos/link-knife-release-p-1029.html
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/skysailingtowing/message/6726
Weaklinks
Peter Birren - 2008/10/27 23:41:49 UTC

Imagine if you will, just coming off the cart and center punching a thermal which takes you instantly straight up while the tug is still on the ground. Know what happens? VERY high towline forces and an over-the-top lockout. You'll have both hands on the basetube pulling it well past your knees but the glider doesn't come down and still the weaklink doesn't break (.8G). So you pull whatever release you have but the one hand still on the basetube isn't enough to hold the nose down and you pop up and over into an unplanned semi-loop. Been there, done that... at maybe 200 feet agl.
Define "failed".
Jim Rooney - 2011/02/27 20:21:36 UTC
Queenstown

Short answer, no.
The long answer's been covered here pretty well, so I'll just point up to Nib's post

I've used those push or pull barrel releases.
Personally, I don't like them... the one I had liked to jam.
Yeah?

http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=14230
pro tow set-up
Jim Rooney - 2009/11/02 18:58:13 UTC

Oh yeah... an other fun fact for ya... ya know when it's far more likely to happen? During a lockout. When we're doing lockout training, the odds go from 1 in 1,000 to over 50/50.
Since when did you start having a problem with shitrigged releases that like to jam? What makes these so unacceptable? None of your asshole friends sell them?
They're a great idea in theory, but I've yet to see one that I like in practice.
http://ozreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=22308
Better mouse trap(release)?
Jim Rooney - 2010/12/16 18:47:05 UTC

A few years ago, I started refusing to tow people with home made gear.
You've seen them, motherfucker. You've just made sure that they don't make it into circulation.
I'm in the "not a big deal" camp, but for those not in that camp, I'll echo the link knife. Good stuff that.
Yeah, you're never in a "big deal" camp.
Jean-Joseph Coté - 2011/02/27 21:52:52 UTC
Lunenburg, Massachusetts
Well sure, dude, it's always a good idea to take a few tokes first to mellow you out, just in case, y'know, things get gnarly up there... :lol:

(Yes, I know what you actually meant...) Image
Yeah, I know what he meant too. Boils down to pretty much the same thing: detachment from reality.
deltaman - 2011/02/27 22:30:27 UTC

i tried this with the barrel:
an experimental release with one hand with 120gr:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtStrzx5W0o
Largueur à tube - largage "sans" tension: 120gr
Steven Leiler - 2011/02/28 00:50:44 UTC

That's what I thought would happen, But I'm sure what happen to Nibs was very real
Red Howard - 2011/02/28 03:08:02 UTC
Utah

Greg,

Peter Birren's award-winning LinkKnife is still in production, and available direct from:

http://www.birrendesign.com/linknife.html

"NASA purchased Linknifes for use on the X-38 Space Station Lifeboat, using four on each craft to cut away the chutes if there's a problem. The head engineer was amazed that the Linknife weighs a mere 1/4 ounce and has no moving parts except for the sliding O-ring. It was also used to cut away the parachute on landing in Project Stardust."

P.S. Pete has published his new astronomy field guide, now, also.

http://www.birrendesign.com/astro.html
Yeah, Peter should spend a whole more time in space and a whole lot less time on the flight line. I'm still waiting to hear how a Linknife is anywhere near as good as this:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/aerotowrelease/8312399698/

...and why having to cut, replace, and tie a piece of string each flight is such a great thing.
Peter Birren - 2011/02/28 03:31:16 UTC
Elk Grove, Illinois

Hi, Greg. Hi, all.
Hi Peter! Go fuck yourself.
Yes, the Linknife will work with no tow tension. I had a static towline break once that left me with 30' of 3/16" poly, smaller and lighter than an aero towline. A quick snap of my wrist and the weaklink was cut. It takes a few more seconds to set up at launch, but it works at any angle... every time. I'd be happy to answer any questions.
Yeah Peter, I have a few questions.

- What's the glider gonna be doing while you're grabbing the lanyard and quickly snapping your wrist? An unplanned semi-loop at maybe two hundred feet?

- What happens when you start your unplanned semi-loop at maybe one hundred feet? Do you get a quick snap of your freakin' neck?

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/skysailingtowing/message/6726
Weaklinks
Peter Birren - 2008/10/27 23:41:49 UTC

I know about this type of accident because it happened to me, breaking four ribs and my larynx... and I was aerotowing using a dolly.
- How did you manage to fuck up a dolly launch that catastrophically?
The shit happened so fast there was no room for thought much less action.
- How do you know there was no room for thought when you've never actually tried it before?

- What if you had had a release that would've let you maintain your grip on the basetube? Would you have been worse off?
But I wasn't dragged because the weaklink did its job and broke immediately on impact.
- Is the "JOB" of the weak link to break on IMPACT and keep some moron from being dragged? Did you read that somewhere and - if so - can I get a reference?

- Wouldn't it have been better if you auto released as soon as your hand came off the basetube?

- Would you have broken four ribs and your larynx if you HAD been dragged instead of slamming into the glider and ground when the weak link blew?

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/skysailingtowing/message/7066
AT SOPs - proposed revisions
Peter Birren - 2009/05/10 01:33:31 UTC

If you want a truly foolproof release, it's got to be one that eliminates the pilot from the equation with a release that operates automatically. Certain tradeoffs would have to be made, like limiting the top altitude of a surface-based tow or having it release within certain limits of pitch, but if you want to legislate safety.... See http://www.birrendesign.com/LKOpinions.html for more details. I am not trying to push the automatic release, definitely not the way you're pushing your setup, but it works.
- How does an asshole who wants to ELIMINATE THE PILOT FROM THE EQUATION end up with a SAFETY award from a PILOT CONTROLLED organization?

- Brad Anderson and Eric Aasletten HAD pitch limiting auto-releases and BOTH of those KIDS *WERE* eliminated from the equation. Is that the objective for which we should be shooting?

- Yeah, I'll bet it works. Can you put out a recall and make it NOT work somehow?

- Dickhead. (Yeah, I know, that wasn't a question.)
- Peter ("Mid west tow master"? :-) I'll take it :-)

Yeah, Peter, you probably are. That WOULD explain a lot of things.
Adi Branch - 2011/02/28 08:40:15 UTC
UK
Imagine:
You are low just after AT take off and the tug just break its weaklink and loose the tow rope
prevention blah blah ;)
Yeah, Adi, I'm REALLY LIKING that approach. Too bad you always seem to hafta cross the Atlantic to find signs of intelligent life. (You never seem to get much crossing the Pacific.)
bisleybob - 2011/02/28 18:06:53 UTC
Norfolk

just get a koch release and be done with it ive had one now for 3 years and its the bees knees. i pro AT and statick winch with it. and with one press of the lever even with one little finger it will spit out the line under no tension as its spring loaded and can not in anyway fail EVER. to this end i dont even have a hook knife.
Craig Hassan - 2011/02/28 18:16:12 UTC

Nothing in aviation is fail proof. Maybe fault tolerant.
Right - asshole. If there was any such thing as bulletproof equipment why would everybody in the US be using cheap shitrigged garbage?
deltaman - 2011/02/28 18:37:35 UTC

bisleybob

Too heavy and too much drag for a racer.. sorry I'm hanged low on the base bar dont want to scratch it !
http://www.flickr.com/photos/aerotowrelease/8306152861/

Never mind. I hate everybody and my posts are too long so you should just ignore this.
Where is your weaklink ? on the line again ? Don't want this anymore. I think that every pilot should be responsible of it own..
Why? Why not just put a Tost weak link on the end of the towline just like sailplanes have been doing for a million years instead of the idiot place you have yours?
bisleybob - 2011/02/28 19:47:29 UTC

each to their own and i respect your choice as i dont know your situation but the whole drag thing for me is a bit old and i dont believe in it that much. the savings of say no king post thinner lines are small enough that one poor descision in a flight matters more.

i find people who scratch around for minimal drag are often making up for bad flying. no one can be that perfect and constant in their flying where they consistantly loose to a competitor due to somthing so small. if this were true what would be the point in competing as equipment is more important than skill.

many of the best pilots win because of their skill. years of experience nothing less.

i know of pilots who fly kingposted 10 year old gliders in the same tatty gear they used in the 80s and the knock the ass of carbon laced racing boys with their streamlined everything.

i suppose in the top clas of world championships maybee its more of an issue.

but to the average pilot it would be like sticking slicks on a van.

my release system is tested proven and there is no recorded evidance of one ever failing, sticking jamming or hook knife intervention. it is so simple it cant fail. it weighs a few gramms which wont effect my wing loading at all. the winner of the loxley trophy (uk XC winching leugue) this year uses a similar type

If you can use something lighter, cleaner, cheaper, safer - win-win-win-win - why not?
the weak link is in line and properly rated and so is not a problem certailnly less of a problem than 40feet of dangling line at a 20feet break.
Define "properly rated". (If it's in the UK... not a snowball's chance in hell.)
happy flying i hope you find something that suits your purpose.
deltaman - 2011/02/28 20:03:42 UTC

;-)
Why manfred Ruhmer don't use any kingpost glider?
We race fast in competition and long distance. For sure drag becomes important cause after a transition if you are lower than the other, finally you lost the group and its dynamic and you become slower!!
Look at the design of the new harnesses. Every modification in manufacture find its source in competition experienced pilot. Sorry for you.. So I dont want a Koch.
20 feet break doesn't matter. The barrel release don t need lot of tension if it is properly build (thinner loop). Second, It should be enough to land without the rope come in tension..
Probably. (If you like doing "probably".)

http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=21377
AT several Questions
Davis Straub - 2011/04/01 21:32:37 UTC

Clip the carabineer at the end of the tow line to one ring. Put your protow (or whatever) through the other ring. Now the carabineer is three or four feet away from the wires and won't snag them.
GREAT, DAVIS!!! We've got the deadly problem of the carabiner snagging the wires that's plagued mankind for centuries TOTALLY LICKED!!! Now we can go back to totally ignoring issues like:
The barrel release wouldn't work because we had too much pressure on it.
...and...
But I've had it once where the pin had bent inside the barrel from excessive tow force.
...and...
When we're doing lockout training, the odds go from 1 in 1,000 to over 50/50.
...and...
I have never had a lockout situation happen so quickly and dramatically and had no chance to release as I have always thought I could do.
...and...
The basebar hit the ground first, nose wires failed from the impact, and at the same time she was hitting face first.
...and...
Elliot shattered four bones in his neck and damaged several blood vessels that supplied blood to the brain. He was flown to the Royal North Shore Hospital in Sydney and put into an induced coma but died on Monday.
Warnarr

Post by Warnarr »

Tad,
I've spent some more time admiring the all work you've done toward a safer, more reliable tow release system.
The picture documentation alone must have cost you many hours of work.

What a shame this work it is so misunderstood, so misrepresented and ultimately suppressed by some very small minded people. No good deed goes unpunished.. sure seems that way sometimes.. I can understand anger and that it doesn't do YOU any good. I'd like to tell you how to leave it behind but you are the only one to walk in those shoes. For now I'll just offer you a virtual beer and little sympathy for what little good that will do.

Hope you are eating right and getting your rest. We ARE being poisoned, ya know..
And that makes me angry because the knowledge of nutrition that will save a lot of lives is well known.
Some don't want you to know. Even Europe treats their people better because more people there know real food than us dumbed down Americans and THEY insist on cleaner food where Americans don't seem to give a crap. Here's one small example I just saw on the leftist rag Huffpo..

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/laurie-david/post_1891_b_843577.html

Americans think red dye #40 is cherry flavor or something and wonder why their kids bounce off the walls..
They believe there isn't enough ritalin in their diet.. Your (Obomba's) Energy Czar and eugenics advocate, Cass Sunstein, wants to add drugs to ALL the tap water, on top of fluoride and other associated heavy metals and toxins already in it, in order to deal with the issues that our corporatized poison franken food causes in the first place.

More ritalin please, master.. Ya knew that Hitler and Stalin used fluoride to keep the concentration camp and gulag prisoners dumbed down and docile, didn't ya?

Anyway I'm rambling, a little angry and I need some sleep.
Eat some dandilions that haven't been sprayed and you'll feel like a new man.
Thanks for all the work you've done on the releases but remember about casting pearls before swine.
The documentation is out there.
One day maybe the swine will get it.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

AT several Questions
Davis Straub - 2011/04/01 21:32:37 UTC

Clip the carabineer at the end of the tow line to one ring. Put your protow (or whatever) through the other ring. Now the carabineer is three or four feet away from the wires and won't snag them.
Kinda like:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/59821214@N00/3772211534/

He's towing one point, he's being pulled forward with respect to the glider / control frame / nose wires, the entire can of release / bridle / tow carabiner worms is low and way in front of the nose wires, the nose wires are majorly spread and majorly receded at that level, there's no freakin' way a glider under anything remotely resembling a faint vestige of control is gonna have a problem in that department, we launch zillions of gliders in that configuration all the time with no record of problems in that department, and we're having this discussion why?
The "video" shows a leader.
Yeah, I was kinda wondering why that needed to be a video myself. But while we're on the subject...

- You have:
-- a stupid piece o' shit Davis-style bent pin release that we know in no uncertain terms WILL NOT WORK under load on your right shoulder.
-- an unnecessarily/excessively long bridle running from piece o' shit release, through the tow ring, and back to your idiotic piece o' shit 130 pound Greenspot weak link on your left shoulder.

- What happens if your idiotic piece o' shit 130 pound Greenspot weak link blows and the left end of your bridle ties itself to the tow ring? Where's your weak link now? What's limiting the load on your stupid piece o' shit Davis-style bent pin release?

- What moronic reasons do YOU have for using a meter long bridle and NOT using releases and weak links on both shoulders?
Davis Straub - 2011/04/02 15:49:03 UTC

Again, I don't feel that there is a problem with the bridle wrapping around the carabineer.
Of course you don't Davis. Because YOU don't FEEL there's a problem with the bridle wrapping around the carabineer we can all just stop worrying about it.
Oh yeah... an other fun fact for ya... ya know when it's far more likely to happen? During a lockout. When we're doing lockout training, the odds go from 1 in 1,000 to over 50/50.
http://ozreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11591
Where to put the weaklink - the HGFA rules
Rohan Holtkamp - 2008/04/21

Once again history has shown us that this thread-through system can hook up and the hang glider remains being towed by the keel only, with the bridle well out of reach of even a hook knife. I know of just one pilot to survive this type of hook-up, took him some twelve months to walk again though.
You are really obsessively focusing about pretty irrelevant issues.
Oz Report's Useful Goodies - 2011/02/09

Pro tow Mini Barrel Release and Bridle, $40.

If you want two mini barrel releases (one on each side), order two of these (you'll have an extra bridle). Bridle is 750 pound Vectran.

This release won't accidently open by hitting your base tube, if you connect it to your chest tabs. It is small and easily stored. If you can't store it during flight, it is the most aerodynamic one available. The bridle is thin and gets out of your way right away. Easily stored. Also creates less drag if you don't put it away. Much stronger than your weaklink. I change bridles about once a year after about fifty tows. I've never had one break.

Vectran or Spectra Bridle for Pro tow, $15.

The top one is the Spectra, the bottom, the Vectran. The bridle is thin and gets out of your way right away. Easily stored. Also creates less drag if you don't put it away. Much stronger than your weaklink. I change my bridle once a year after about fifty tows.

V-Bridle line, extra long Vectran line, $20.

This is used connect to the keel (works with the Pro tow setup). You can connect to the keel through a weak link to a line attached to the keel, or through a bicycle/cable/spinnaker release, which is attached to a line on the keel. Vectran is used because it doesn't melt when Vectran or Spectra runs through the loop at the end of the line (if you release using a barrel release).
Right, Davis. Delta really obsessively focuses about pretty irrelevant issues and you DON'T obsessively focus on ASTRONOMICALLY irrelevant issues.
Jim Rooney - 2011/04/02 18:08:49 UTC

Deltaman....

I just watched your AT video from the link at the bottom of your posts.
Rather than worrying about what's at the end of the tow rope, I would suggest you fix your pilot end. You have a release on your harness, but not on your passengers.

Long bridals released under tension tend to grab things. It doesn't matter what you have on the tow rope. The day that thing snags, you will wish that you had a release on the other side as well. A weak link is also sufficient.

As a rule, I don't like anything solidly attached to my harness... I always want a release.
Right, Head Trauma. You always want a release but if you don't wanna spend the extra five bucks you can just use a weak link 'cause there's NO FREAKIN' WAY a weak link will NOT sense your being in danger and automatically cut you loose at just the right instance no matter what. They make those things out of Collie hair after all.

Delta...

I wouldn't have thunk there could possibly be many more national hang gliding programs near as abysmally clueless and incompetent as USHGA, HPAC, and HGFA - but the fact that you're apparently rated to fly aerotow and use THAT equipment has shattered any illusion along those lines pretty definitively.

You wanna kill yourself flying solo with that crap and bullshit sense of priorities you go right ahead.

But if you fly tandem and trash a passenger you better hope you die along with him 'cause if you don't I'm gonna do whatever I can to make you wish you had. (And I have a sister who's spent a lot of time in your country and teaches your language in high school so that's probably enough to get things rolling in the legal system.)

Or you can stop talking to these assholes, come over here, start engaging and answering questions, start getting your merde together, and start doing things right.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

Warren,
The picture documentation alone must have cost you many hours of work.
Thanks much - but HOURS??? A lot of those shots took a day to set up and another to shoot and Photoshop - some more.

Pretty pissed off right now 'cause last night I was checking out some things on my Flickr site and found out that those bastards - with no notification whatsoever - had trashed the resolutions.

I shoot at a long dimension of 2816 pixels. Flickr used to not load anything over 1024 and I formatted and uploaded copies accordingly Used to be able to so view and download them. Now with no notification whatsoever everything's down to 640.

The camera shoots a 4:3 ratio so now I'm down to a wee bit over five percent of what I started out with. That totally sucks - even if it is free. Anybody got alternate suggestions - preferably for the full original?
No good deed goes unpunished.. sure seems that way sometimes..
No, I'm pretty sure now that it ALWAYS IS that way - 'cept maybe on Frank Capra movies.
I can understand anger and that it doesn't do YOU any good.
Nah, that's pretty much my only reason for getting out of bed nowadays.
Hope you are eating right...
Yeah, sure - until I run out of Coke and Fritos then I just eat whatever junk I can find.
...and getting your rest.

HUH? WHAT? Oh... Yeah, I'm OK on that score too. Thanks.
We ARE being poisoned, ya know..
Yep. When I started flying Ridgely there was always a pair of Kestrels nesting nearby. And all summer long a heavy crop duster would be tanking up and taking off all day long. And then I stopped seeing Kestrels. But no problem, the important thing is that we Americans have enough food so we can throw eighty percent of what comes off the farm into the garbage.
Anyway I'm rambling, a little angry...
If you're not angry you're not paying attention.
One day maybe the swine will get it.
I don't want the swine to get it. I want them not to get it and give the gene pool a fighting chance. It just pisses me off when the swine gets into positions in which they can take out the good DNA and leave theirs intact.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

AT several Questions
deltaman - 2011/04/03 07:26:21 UTC

Davis,

Sorry but your reply sounds a little bit confused...
I don't understand why do you consider my focus on release issues "obsessive" as you know all cautions we have to take with AT release stuffs.
Especially as your website reports dramatical accidents ?
Lemme see if I can help here a bit, Delta...

- Davis would have to have a functional brain to be really confused about anything. His was totally hardwired when he was three years old.

- Davis sells shitrigged junk at obscene prices 'cause he knows that idiots like you will buy it and, even though it fails all the time, usually a couple of other things have to line up wrong at the same time for it to really matter.

- When it DOES really matter he gets a lot of readership at his shit forum where he can kill any discussion on the role his shitrigged junk played and sell more of it to idiots like you. Win-win.
Stupid questions are better than shadow.
Not when they're being addressed to stupid people and the answers have been stunningly obvious for at least tens of thousands of years.
Jim,
Great. Now discuss things with, not just one of the stupidest people I've ever met, but one of the stupidest people I've ever met in hang gliding.
A weak link is also sufficient.
Mine is on the line and I just read a story with V-bridle wrapping a WL on the line: http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=20529 !! Glurps !
Yeah, who could POSSIBLY have seen THAT ONE coming? We're not gods after all!
Setting one on the shoulder of my passenger make me a problem as a weaklink failure here will release the V-bridle by the "secondary release". Then if there is a snag, I'm in a big trouble !
Not if you can get the glider to go down passenger side first. Then your blow gets cushioned. You might wanna consult Bo on how to best implement that one.

OR, if you did something completely out of the box...

You COULD put releases AND weak links on BOTH sides so that if one weak link blew the other would instantly be double and shock loaded so that there would be a ONE HUNDRED PERCENT CERTAINTY that you'd be free and clear.

You could also make the bridle too short and fat to wrap but why do something halfway intelligent when what it is that you obviously enjoy so much is engaging in endless idiot discussions with other idiots.
What do you think?
Yeah Jim, pretend that you can "THINK" and give us all the benefit of your "keen intellect".
Long bridals released under tension tend to grab things
I read the inverse, that it's better to tight the line before to release ! And I can see in several videos the pilot pulling just before to release !?
What is the true ?
Yeah. To avoid wraps you want TENSION. A LOT of TENSION. And be sure to make your bridAls as THIN as possible. There's nothing safer and more predictable than a really thin bride under a lot of tension.
Is there another document that the USHGA Guideline ?
Eh. Just do whatever the fuck you feel like. Everybody else does and all these documents flatly contradict each other anyway. And the really good ones contradict themselves a few dozen times. Give Towing Aloft a whirl. I'll help you translate English Stupid into French Stupid. (Anybody know the French for "bent"? That'll help me get started.)

Or you might wanna go to:

http://www.energykitesystems.net/Lift/hgh/TadEareckson/index.html

and read the "SOPs" and "Guidelines" documents I prepared for the USHGA Towing Committee a couple of years ago which nobody ever looked at 'cause they didn't have anybody who could handle a third grade reading level.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

AT several Questions
Jim Rooney - 2011/04/03 12:23:02 UTC

The misconceptions about this accident are pretty widespread apparently.
From what I understand, his setup was "non-standard" to say the least.

There are many reasons we setup our tow systems the way that we do. I have no idea why he was doing things "his own way". Unfortunately, if he had had the setup we use, he would not have had the problem that he did have.

#1 issue with his setup was that he didn't have a ring or caribiner at the end of the towrope. Everything else was a symptom of this.

This is in no way similar to what I have suggested you do.
pro tow set-up
Jim Rooney - 2009/11/02 18:58:13 UTC

Oh it happens.
I have, all the guys I work with have.
(Our average is 1 in 1,000 tows)

Yeah, Jim. NO FREAKIN' WAY this woulda happened with a carIbiner on the end of the towline - just once out of a thousand when it doesn't matter and over half the time when it does.
The connection to your, and your passenger's, harness is where you NEED a release. This isn't merely a suggestion.
Really? Didn't you just finish saying:
A weak link is also sufficient.
Oops. Never mind. I forgot that releases and weak links are the same things.
Please do not find out that I'm right the hard way. You have a bridal directly connected to your passenger's harness... this can kill you.
Yeah, your spelling of "bridle" always imbues me with total confidence in your competence.
A proper setup...
A barrel release and weaklink at each point that any bridal touches any harness.
A very very reliable bent pin barrel release to be specific - the kind they went back to on the tandems at Ridgely 'cause they didn't wanna make it so's just anybody could survive all the time.
In this manner, if any part of the bridal system snags, you can release.
Assuming your brains aren't oozing out of your ears at this point.
1/2 the time, when they snag, the resulting shockloading blows out the weaklinks before you hit the second release... but not always.
Or you could just use a bridle that's too short to snag but that just wouldn't be very sporting.
If the bridals grab and you do not have a weaklink/release... you are at the mercy of the tug pilot and the weaklink at the tug end. In other words... you're a passenger... left to pray that the tug pilot drops the rope in time.
http://www.chgpa.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3600
Weak link question
Danny Brotto - 2008/11/04 12:49:44 UTC

I came out of the cart rolled and yawed to the right with the upwind wing flying and the downwind wing stalled. It was rather dramatic. If I had released or if the weak link had broken, the downwind wing would have further stalled and I would have cartwheeled into terra firma in an unpleasant fashion. I held on tight gaining airspeed until the downwind wing began flying, got in behind the tug, and continued the flight.

Sunny later told be he was about to give me the rope and I thanked him to no end that he didn't.
Or you could be left to pray that the tug pilot DOESN'T drop the rope, but with Head Trauma...

http://www.chgpa.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2467
weak links
Jim Rooney - 2007/08/01 13:47:23 UTC

Whatever's going on back there, I can fix it by giving you the rope.
Jim Rooney - 2007/08/01 19:49:30 UTC

It's more of this crappy argument that being on tow is somehow safer than being off tow.
...you'd be spared the moment of uncertainty.
We're not guessing about this stuff.
I didn't invent any of it... This system has been in use for hundreds of thousands of tows. It was around long before I even touched a hang glider.
Yeah, you little shit. Long before you even touched a hang glider at Ridgely your future colleague assholes at Ridgely were busy mocking me for having releases and weak links on both sides of the tow ring and both shoulders. See my letter to the editor in the 1997/02 issue of Hang Gliding.
Jim Rooney - 2011/04/03 12:37:14 UTC

This is first hand experience. Long bridles released under tension tend to grab. I am not guessing. This is not theory, although I can explain why this happens if you like. This is not something that I "think" is true or something that I've "heard". This is something that I've experienced... many times. I've also tested it just to know for sure.
But you're gonna keep making them ten times longer than they need to be anyway, right? Just to keep things interesting.
I've been a full time professional aerotow tandem instructor for six years.
Yep. That WOULD explain a lot of things.
I've done thousands and thousands and thousands of tows.

Pull in as you release.
Except in a lockout emergency. Then ya wanna do the precise opposite.

pro tow set-up
Jim Rooney - 2009/11/03 06:16:56 UTC

As for being in a situation where you can't or don't want to let go, Ryan's got the right idea. They're called "weak" links for a reason. Overload that puppy and you bet your ass it's going to break.

You can tell me till you're blue in the face about situations where it theoretically won't let go or you can drone on and on about how "weaklinks only protect the glider" (which is BS btw)... and I can tell ya... I could give a crap, cuz just pitch out abruptly and that little piece of string doesn't have a chance in hell. Take your theory and shove it... I'm saving my a$$.
Jim Rooney - 2011/04/03 12:42:58 UTC
Setting one on the shoulder of my passenger make me a problem as a weaklink failure here will release the V-bridle by the "secondary release". Then if there is a snag, I'm in a big trouble !
What do you think?
Oh boy... are you saying you do not have a weaklink on the top release either?
Please put one there if you do not.
Yes, if you don't, then if you have a v-bridal snag and release failure... you are in big trouble. That's why we put one there.

I wish I was in a place where I could send you pictures of a proper setup. Maybe Davis is and can?
Yeah, you can see some real good pictures of the Davis setup - and how effective it is - here:

http://ozreport.com/pub/fingerlakesaccident.shtml

But if you wanna see something that ISN'T a PROPER setup, try:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/aerotowrelease/sets/72057594141352219/
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

AT several Questions
Bart Weghorst - 2011/04/03 14:28:18 UTC

Deltaman,
Have you visited (one of) the Florida flight parks?
If not, it might be very worthwhile for someone who's aerotowing hang gliders in a business.
B.T.W I think you have a great location and I hope you get very successful in your venture.
Cowboy Up Hang Gliding
Jackson Hole

Most of the time. But I've had it once where the pin had bent inside the barrel from excessive tow force. My weaklink was still intact. The tug pilot's weaklink broke so I had the rope. I had to use two hands to get the pin out of the barrel.

Hey there Bart Most Of The Time No Stress Because I Was High Weghorst. How's tricks?

Yeah, let's send him to Florida Ridge...

http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=5089
The Good-The Bad-The Ugly....
Socrates Zayas - 2008/01/14 05:22:38 UTC

Yesterday was a very emotional day for me and my household. My better half did something that I really didn't expect from a medical student/mother/busy no time to waste...

This would be the final flight of the day, just in front of her was a student tandem flight about to launch, so I was headed back to the car to finalize the packing up when I heard the tug make the familiar sound it does when a weak link breaks.

I looked back to see the tug circle around and saw a wing turned up in a WHACK configuration. I was like "wow". Then I noticed it wasn't the tandem but Sherb-Air's Falcon 170.

When I got there her nose was lacerated and her lip was bleeding (yeah, she had a full face helmet) and the dolly's left wheel was missing.

The radiography showed acute multiple fractures around the top and head of the humerus. Her nose didn't break but she may have hairline fractures to the septum. She had a hard time remembering the date, day, names of her kids, number of kids, and other basic things...

The dolly had hit a huge hole and she went left shoulder into the ground at 25+ mph.
Or Quest...

http://www.chgpa.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3107
I have a tandem rating!!!
Lauren Tjaden - 2008/03/23 22:20:15 UTC

When Jim got me locked out to the right, I couldn't keep the pitch of the glider with one hand for more than a second (the pressure was a zillion pounds, more or less), but the F'ing release slid around when I tried to hit it. The barrel release wouldn't work because we had too much pressure on it.

Anyhow, the tandem can indeed perform big wingovers, as I demonstrated when I finally got separated from the tug.
Or the other place...

http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=17092
Crash at Questair
Alfie Norks - 2010/06/03 12:24:40 UTC
Brazil

Speedy recovery to the pilot in question.
It could have been worse. It could have happened at...the other place (but nothing happens there. Image) Image Good luck if it does. No 911 calls allowed. My friend was lucky, the nurse on hand convinced the owner not to move him, this after he snatched and threw her phone away. Image She was trying to dial 911. My friend suffered lower back injury.
Got any more suggestions if none of those works out?
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

Bob Kuczewski - 2011/03/31 13:59:26 UTC

What you say is important to having better towing systems.
But how you say it is important to having those better towing systems actually saving lives.
Hey Bob,

I know I'm supposed to shut up and back off when somebody cries uncle but lemme give you a little example of how ABSOLUTELY NOTHING works when you're trying to get through to a bunch of terminally shitheaded pilots.

Here's a little except from the Jack Show. On the phone you asked me for a link to the thread on which the Shithead In Chief banned me...

http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=14312
Tow Park accidents

The thread from which this was taken ain't it but the/my last post on it came four and a quarter hours before I was locked out.

pro tow set-up
AeroTow (Tad) - 2009/11/05 12:52:02 UTC

Ryan,

If you slept through most of fifth grade science you can see why "standard" Bailey releases are crap at:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/aerotowrelease/sets/72057594066304861/

I've given up wondering why anyone with half a brain or better would design a release around a core component that's already bent BEFORE you put any load on it. In a sane universe a pin that is bent is thrown in the recycling bin and replaced with a good one.
Richard Bryant - 2009/11/05 14:11:27 UTC
New Jersey

Just a guess but probably the trigger that got you booted is when you went to the FAA with your draft proposal for more regulation of the sport...yeah, that was a great idea on your part! Image
Jason Dyer - 2009/11/06 02:40:43 UTC
Canada

I would like to focus on bent pin vs straight. What physics state that if a bent pin release takes a 28lb pull then a straight pin in the same tension would take 9?
Paul Hurless - 2009/11/06 02:59:01 UTC

Those releases have curved pins, not bent. There is a difference.
AeroTow - 2009/11/06 13:38:24 UTC

Jason,

A barrel release is a second class lever. The eye of the pin is the fulcrum, the load is applied - usually via a weak link - between the eye and whatever part of the pin's shaft - the lever arm - contacts the inside wall of the barrel.

At any given load - the longer the EFFECTIVE lever length the less it's pushing on the barrel wall and the less pull you're gonna hafta exert to clear the barrel.

In a Bailey (curved pin) release the pin shaft contacts the barrel wall at about its HALFWAY point. The second half of the shaft is USELESS. As a matter of fact, it's worse than useless - it actually starts working against you after the barrel clears the halfway point.

In a straight pin release using thin leechline instead of thick webbing - as you can see in my avatar photo (which is why I use it as my avatar photo) - the load is applied closer to the fulcrum and the effective lever length is the FULL length of the pin shaft.

I've illustrated and explained this in this series of photos:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/aerotowrelease/sets/72057594066304861

Paul,

Once you load up a curved pin a bit, the distinction is lost.

Dennis Wood - 2009/11/06 17:36:55 UTC
Suffolk, Virginia

peeps on here been discussing curved vs. straight pins. anyone ever contemplate the barrel itself, i.e. size, mat'l, etc.
Ryan Voight - 2009/11/06 18:14:30 UTC

Caption reads:
This Pin was deformed under something under a direct loading of 220 pounds (achievable for a 315 pound glider using a 1.4 G Weak Link).
All the more reason to use a WEAKER weaklink. If you're bending pins rather than breaking the weaklink, I have to think your weaklink is too strong (and now the pin has become the weakest link in the system).
AeroTow - 2009/11/06 19:23:49 UTC

peanuts,

Yeah. Definitely. I use a 4 inch length of 3/8 x .058 aluminum tubing with a sleeve of heat shrink tubing hot glued over it to improve the grip. It's a helluva lot easier to pull than the idiot Bailey flared barrel and a lot less likely to autorelease on the basetube.

Ryan,

You're trying to use pathetic, dumbed down, fuzzy weak links to compensate for stupid, useless releases which don't allow the pilot to blow tow while maintaining control of the glider and won't function under load. Instead of just recognizing and using proven solid technology to do things right you're trying to patch dangerous crap with more dangerous crap.
Bart Weghorst - 2009/11/09 18:34:13 UTC
Cowboy Up Hang Gliding
Jackson Hole
Richard Bryant - 2009/11/05 14:11:27 UTC

Just a guess but probably the trigger that got you booted is when you went to the FAA with your draft proposal for more regulation of the sport...yeah, that was a great idea on your part! Image
Can anyone but AeroTow fill me in? This sounds serious. Was he heard by the FAA?
So what is it that's made Jackson Asshole's heart skip three beats and prompted him to get involved? NOTHING about the shitrigged equipment that the AT shitheads are endangering their own, students', and passengers' lives on.

"My GOD!!! Somebody's threatening to communicate to the FAA about the fact that we're using shitrigged equipment which endangers our own, students', and passengers' lives!!! We might hafta stop using and selling shitrigged equipment. This isn't the America I know! This is one of those Koreas. The bad one - East I think. This sounds SERIOUS!!!"

"Dude. My release just welded itself shut. No stress because I was high. Can ya toss me another one from the second drawer down? Look behind the reefer. Gotta get back up again fast. Got a whole Girl Scout troop waiting in line."

It doesn't matter a rat's ass who says it, how, how many times, or for how many years or how blindingly obvious it is. These stupid motherfuckers are gonna do exactly what they feel like until you start grounding them, suing them, shutting them down, and putting them in prison where they belong.