open phones

General discussion about the sport of hang gliding
bobk

Re: open phones

Post by bobk »

Steve Davy wrote:Crash on highway one today. People waiting for the road to clear. Fireman walks by as we are waiting and everyone is asking him how long it will be before the road is opened. No one, other than me, bothers to ask about the status of the folks involved in the crash. What a totally depressing display of human behavior.

Three fairly minor injures and one definitely not.
What were you going to do with the information you requested? Were you going to run up there with your surgical skills and patch 'em up? Were you going to summon your personal helicopter to get them to a hospital? Or were you just going to sit there doing nothing - either way?

The people asking about wait time could use that information productively (turn off their engine, call to cancel appointments, eat a sandwich, etc).

Who was really wasting the fireman's time? Who's human behavior was objectively "depressing"? Don't you think people can feel badly about others and still take pratical actions at the same time?

Most importantly, what makes you think you know enough about what other people are thinking to levy your criticism? Think about that in the context of your conduct on this forum. Then you'll really be depressed.
Join a National Hang Gliding Organization: US Hawks at ushawks.org
Steve Davy

Post by Steve Davy »

Steve Davy

Post by Steve Davy »

It was a fun project, that's for sure. Steep learning curve building a swept, tapered, twisted wing with a cambered airfoil at the root and symmetrical at the tip.

Looking back, I think that we should have built something more like this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windward_Performance_SparrowHawk

PS - And maybe we will. ;)
<BS>

Post by <BS> »

I'll take exception with Red Jensen. While there may be those with more experience, you were most certainly a REAL test pilot.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

http://ozreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=30971
Zach Marzec
Jim Rooney - 2013/02/16 05:05:41 UTC

My general rule is "no funky shit". I don't like people reinventing the wheel and I don't like test pilots. Have I towed a few test pilots? Yup. Have I towed them in anything but very controlled conditions? Nope. It's a damn high bar. I've told more to piss off than I've told yes. I'll give you an example... I towed a guy with the early version of the new Lookout release. But the Tad-o-link? Nope.
08-19
http://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5277/30076449505_1f6ed2f804_o.png

Notice how NOBODY in the enemy camp - meaning pretty much everyone in the sport and not a Kite Strings member - has ever done a goddam thing to get a significantly better anything airborne?

The gliders themselves... Weightshift controlled foldable flying wings. Show me anything flying today that couldn't have been engineered decades ago with enough concentration of brains and resources. Ignore stuff like carbon and sail materials developed for and by other applications and industries. (Ditto for the electronics spawned by the digital revolution.)

We've got high tech XC racing harnesses which are nice for winning comps but prevent one from balling up to prevent tumbles and parachutes from being deployed after the tumbles that couldn't be prevented have turned everything to airborne wreckage.

The fuckin' Dragonfly was designed a bit shy of three decades ago as a flying focal point of a safe towing system - for anyone upwind of the tow mast breakaway. And fuck anybody and everybody on the downwind end.

Western hang gliding has bent over backwards to make and keep towing equipment as shitty and lethal as subhumanly possible.

When we taught "students" on the dunes in the early Eighties we had them proning out within a fraction of a second of becoming airborne. And now Joe Greblo has his victims logging forty Kagel hours before they're permitted to touch the control bar.

What a breath of fresh air. Pity we had to go well outside of hang gliding proper to get it.

Open phones...

Sunday afternoon play then dinner around the corner at the Galway Bay Irish pub in the back room. Then water started dripping in from multiple points above. I volunteered to take the umbrella and retrieve the car from a Saint John's College lot.

The rain was biblical times five and the umbrella started feeling a lot like a lightning rod. Water was exploding from downspouts and I needed to plot courses to stay in reasonably shallow areas. Things dialed back to lightish rain just before I got to the car but cycled way up and down during the drive home.

From where I was taking my stroll, Ellicott City lies a bit under 26 crow flight miles northwest on the Patapsco River - which becomes Baltimore Harbor as it enters the Chesapeake estuary. It got the shit ripped out of it - again. One Good Samaritan sucked under and not seen again. Second thousand year flood in less than two years. Obviously nothing to do with all the CO2 we keep pumping into the atmosphere though. Shit just happens sometimes. Frequently.

And speaking of pumping CO2 into the atmosphere... Boarding for Anchorage in another day and a half. Yours Truly and what he'll be wearing (including the Canon 10x42s), backpack, laptop case for carry-on, a couple of hundred centimeter Manfrotto tripod bags precision packed to the gills I'm hoping to be able to gate check. I've written myself a five page operator's manual for inventorying, packing, organizing everything. Stomach feels like I'm going on my first combat mission.

Just checked the ten day forecast for Nome though. Up until now I'd seen nothing but rain for our scheduled 06/02-06 Seward Peninsula expedition. But now we're down to just partly cloudy with ten percent chance of precipitation. I can so live with that.

I've studied the crap outta that peninsula, our routes into it, points of interest, likely critters - and was looking forward to it more than any other leg of the tour and majorly bummed out by the prospect of nonstop rain. The Arctic Circle grazes the northern extremity of the peninsula and we should max out to within eighty miles of it - farthest north I'll have ever been and the sun won't be very low behind the horizon at midnight in the coming weeks.

Just past midnight here in the Eastern Daylight Time Zone. Better sign off and get back into gearing up mode. I'll have internet access on and off until return late on 06/19 so should at least be able to keep an eye on things - Grizzlies, Gray Wolves, mosquitos permitting.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

Stumbled across this:

http://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1727/28558039328_108b506650_o.png
http://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1754/28558039098_4b05ece063_o.png

at:

43°50'37.53" N 080°46'42.25" W

whilst working on background checks for Rob Skinner and Willie Van Caulart - just around two thirds of a mile south of their Teviotdale, Ontario AT facility. Terrain is about 1356 feet, eye altitudes 7111' and 2758'. Note the twin engine contrails.

Undoubtedly something heading out from Toronto a bit under sixty miles behind it and many thousands of feet higher than it looks. The ghost image must be a glory effect but I don't understand the offset - the speed of light being what it is.

Forecast for Nome for the relevant period is looking totally awesome - not much worse than partly cloudy at the worst and clear as freakin' bell at the best. Temperatures bottoming out at 41 and topping at 52. And I'm guessing that the interior of the peninsula will see lows not much colder - 'cause the sun won't be doing much in the way of setting - while the highs will be more comfortable for some of us non Musk Ox types. (Mosquitos will probably be a lot happier too.)

Feeling pretty well organized and prepared now. Hoping for smooth sailing with respect to Southwest, Alaska, and the TSA.
Steve Davy

Post by Steve Davy »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LIGO
LIGO
These can detect a change in the 4 km mirror spacing of less than a ten-thousandth the charge diameter of a proton, equivalent to measuring the distance from Earth to Proxima Centauri (4.0208x1013km) with an accuracy smaller than the width of a human hair
Goes to show what can be done when ya got smart people running the show!
Steve Davy

Post by Steve Davy »

Was watching this live video last night and at about thirty seconds after launch I thought maybe I should have a look out of my south facing window on the chance that I might be able to see a little something. I was expecting to see nothing at all or perhaps a tiny little light going up. I was shocked when I found that the event was clear as could be (ran outside at that point), and not a subtle deal. Witnessed the whole thing until engine shut down. Lots of Goose bumps on that one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rN8gceUElqo
<BS>

Post by <BS> »

By sheer luck, I got to see it too. It caught Jennifer's attention and she alerted me. She noticed it before the first separation and I started watching just after. A spectacular event.