launching

General discussion about the sport of hang gliding
NMERider

Re: launching

Post by NMERider »

Tad Eareckson wrote:...P.S...
Not seeing anything in the way of a hook-in check, Jonathan. MAYBE you did one a couple seconds before 02:03 but it's the most critical component of every foot launch and needs to be included in every relevant video until such a time - three to five years from now I'd guess - when everybody and his dog is launching in compliance with u$hPa SOPs and it's a no brainer that it's been done.
I always do hook-in check by lifting my glider until I feel David Mueller's hand on Taylor Swift's bare ass. I've stopped including these in my edits because as much as I try to be a positive influence in different aspects of the sport, few, if any pilots listen and follow through on any of it. If there was a song called, "Pissing in the wind" I'd make it my anthem. If I'm with somebody who could use some constructive input then I'll just do that in person.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

You can read how and why Kite Strings was founded in its first post (in Welcome). We were then operating under the delusion that we'd be able to do something substantial in the way of getting hang gliding's many systemic problems fixed through appeals to intelligence, logic, reason, respect for science. And then we started understanding how totally the deck was stacked, who the players were, why and how they were doing what they were doing. And so we rebooted into pissing in the wind mode.

First post in the "wires" thread - 2011/12/30 13:23:46 UTC. Do the fuckin' stomp test - like it says when you RTFM. Close to three and three quarters years before Rafi Lavin had to have his body scraped off the cliff at Funston rather than slapping one of the replacement sidewires he always carries in his spares bag and having a somewhat delayed nice regular soaring flight. 45 posts in the thread prior to the point of no return.

We did the best WE could do.

I'm not gonna lean on you regarding your video editing decisions but Southern California tends not to go very long between unhooked launch incidents and the sport is overdue for another fatality. Think how cool it would be to have posted a video from the previous weekend in which the fraction-of-a-second procedure/effort that would've made the difference between fun flight and horrifying death plummet is clearly illustrated.

And in person you reach - at most - one person. On line there's no limit to the potential for getting a point across.
TheFjordflier

Post by TheFjordflier »

I know you like videos of how to launch a hang glider, and also how NOT to.
Here is a video, but I'm not sure in which category you'll put it ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIQXdgf6m28

Edit 04.01.2020

Edit 23.02.2020

original:
http://vimeo.com/232159679
TheFjordflier's Fall
TheFjordflier - 2017/09/02 16:25 UTC
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

Falling straight and level off the edge a vertical cliff in a trickle-in sure beats getting sucked off a vertical cliff sideways from way back from the edge by a rotor - à la Craig Pirazzi two years plus about a week before that one.

No, I have no problem with anything on that one. Keep the wings straight and level and the nose low and it's gonna fly. It's the shallow slopes in zilch or switchy air that requires either lots of running and fine glider control or staying put that scare me shitless.

And always nice to see the suspension tensioned before it needs to be.

I DID, however, get a bit nervous watching your downwind. But it looks like you've got lots of shallow available before proper terra firma so a lot more safety margin than I was thinking initially. Deep and/or rough water also scares me shitless.
TheFjordflier

Post by TheFjordflier »

This video was my initial inspiration for that launch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PNaTI4ZS0g

Not sure, but seems like these Swiss pilots plunge deeper before picking up speed.
When first determined to do it, it was my easiest launch ever. Just had to overcome the mentally worries. (like a tumble)
The cliff is undercut, so no worries about hitting the cliff face.
Normally I never ever get close to that edge. It scares me shitless. But connected to my wings it is surprisingly easy :)
With the glider in balance, it could be done blindfolded.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

Not sure, but seems like these Swiss pilots plunge deeper before picking up speed.
Kinda cool but:
- your video quality is a lot better
- ditto for scenery
But connected to my wings it is surprisingly easy :)
And always be sure that you're connected to your wings - by always operating under the assumption that you're not.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

http://www.kitestrings.org/post10350.html#p10350

http://www.shga.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=5730
Airspeed is What You Need - DON'T LET YOUR GUARD DOWN!
Steve Murillo - 2017/08/10 18:30:51 UTC

8Crestline Launch

Jonathan, you are correct. This was Crestline launch, not Marshall. I've launched Crestline many times before, but never had an issue. This one caught me a bit off guard, but my instinct for survival kicked in and I was able to accelerate the last part of the run.

To my fellow pilots - guard up!
Michel Moacanin - 2017/09/10 01:42:09 UTC
Somis

Yes ... airspeed is pretty much key to any takeoff -- applies to powered pilots as well.
No shit. And who more typically finds himself hurting for airspeed at takeoff?

- A conventional powered pilot at a runway or a hang glider foot launcher?

- In light, irregular, cross, downwind air a hang glider foot launcher on some runway, ramp, rocky slope, slot or a tow launcher lying down on a launch cart behind a tug that can't even take off until well after the gliders virtually blasted into the air or on a platform on or behind a truck easily capable of going stall speed times four?

07-03524
http://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4340/36884018026_3330444c00_o.png
21-04443
http://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4442/36884011856_b3a0cdb9c8_o.png
22-04504
http://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4442/36901934662_caa24f4915_o.png
23-04507
http://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4392/36884010686_ea4965c88e_o.png
24-04511
http://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4404/36884009846_db4cae7c1f_o.png
25-04515
http://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4393/36901933442_27ff69ab1a_o.png
27-04526
http://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4356/36901933092_42fc06a694_o.png
33-04717
http://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4417/36930881031_5244c55898_o.png
34-04801
http://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4402/36901932132_303cd0bcbe_o.png

Notice how there are never any stupid tow launching discussions about the importance of airspeed, launch techniques, tight versus loose strap, hang check versus Aussie Method, crew, commands, grapevine versus beer bottle grip, cycles timing, katabatic flows, rotors, Five Second Rules for transitioning to prone, kicking into boots...

But yeah, simpler is always better so never opt for towing if you're within a three day drive of something high you can run off of.

And also notice how all the downsides of towing are never expounded by the people who just tow or do both tow and mountains - just by the assholes like Rick Masters who've never actually towed.
TheFjordflier

Post by TheFjordflier »

Tad Eareckson wrote:
And always nice to see the suspension tensioned before it needs to be.
That IS my best life insurance.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

http://www.ushpa.org/legacy/safety/Fatality%20Report%202015.pdf
2015/11/08 - Karen Carra

Karen Carra (54), an Intermediate Hang Glider (H3), Novice Paraglider (P2) pilot and USHPA member since 1994, suffered fatal injuries after launching her hang glider in High Rock, MD. The pilot was performing a cliff launch in lightly cycling 5 MPH winds with a full three person wire crew. Just after launching the glider stalled, pitched nose down and rapidly lost altitude resulting in insufficient clearance and impact with the trees below launch. Fatal injuries resulted from the glider's fall from tree height.
Karen Carra (54), an Intermediate Hang Glider (H3), Novice Paraglider (P2) pilot and USHPA member since 1994, suffered fatal injuries after launching her hang glider in High Rock, MD.
She was launching her GLIDER (and please don't trouble us with the model and size information) AT High Rock - douchebag.
The pilot was performing a cliff launch...
And here I was thinking she was performing a STALL.
...in lightly cycling 5 MPH winds with a full three person wire crew.
Think she had enough crew to help her hold it on the ramp and keep it safely trimmed?
Just after launching the glider stalled...
Oh well, at least it didn't stall just before launching.
...pitched nose down and rapidly lost altitude...
For those of you who don't understand what a stall is - mostly the aerotow guys who understand it as the harmless inconvenience which results from a Standard Aerotow Weak Link increasing the safety of the towing operation.
...resulting in insufficient clearance and impact with the trees below launch.
Just as well. The trees above launch there are really nasty.
Fatal injuries resulted from the glider's fall from tree height.
But no impact when it hit the ground - just when it hit the trees.

- So she'd have had a max of a five mile per hour headwind if she'd timed things right plus whatever speed she could generate in several steps worth of accelerating from a standstill on the short flattish ramp.

- But mountain foot launching is so much safer than towing because of the complexity of the latter. (Three man crews, ramps, cliffs, legs, arms, upright to prone transitions, trees, rocks don't count towards complexities at the latter.)

- Zero to five late in the flying season. Maybe a six minute slightly extended sled to the LZ. Super risk to potential reward ratio.

I did a zero winder at Woodstock. Glider was skimming down the slot pointed at the halfway up mark at the trees at its end, basetube was ringing with weed tops almost all the way down. Finally got the needed speed and cleared OK. Said NEVER AGAIN. But light air stuff isn't considered dangerous in the foot launch flavor of this stupid sport.
The United States Hang Gliding and Paragliding Association, Inc. - 2017/03/04
Standard Operating Procedure
12. Rating System
02. Pilot Proficiency System
07. Novice Hang Gliding Rating (H2)
-C. Recommended Operating Limitations for Novice Pilots

03. Should fly only in smooth winds of 18 mph or less and gusty winds to 11 mph.
04. If foot launching, should launch only on slopes 2:1 to 7:1, where wind is within 25° of being straight up the slope.
Nothing about MINIMUM winds though. Who ever heard of still air being dangerous. ('Cause when you have engines, wheels, and virtually unlimited paved runways - like everybody and his dog does in conventional aviation - it's not. So why should glider foot launchers lose any sleep.)

- Three man crew. Undoubtedly all longtime local chums. And...

-- Nobody thought this was an iffy enough situation to caution against launching.

-- Fuckin' ZERO public discussion of the incident which took out a two decade plus heavy duty participant in the sport. Compare/Contrast what happened on the Capitol Club wire after Bill Priday ran off the Whitwell ramp sans glider on 2005/10/01 - only a dozen years ago. What an unbelievable and sickening change in the culture.
---
P.S. - 2017/12/01 21:25:00 UTC

Karen's demise came about eight days after Highland Aerosports' effective one - as best as I can tell.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

http://www.shga.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=5797
Blowin' In The Wind
Kris Greblo - 2017/10/13 02:49:18 UTC

It was quite a few weeks this accident happened;and likely old news.

Short version:
I blew over on launch while hooked in.

Long version:
I wanted to feel wind on my face and bugs in my teeth before i left for a non flying vacation.
I was tired but took the opportunity to squeeze in a hot mid day launch flight.
The winds were as expected, a bit gusty and unsettled.Nothing to be concerned about.
I had very capable help from set up area to launch and on launch. I clearly cleared my helper then hesitated as the wind shifted quite cross from the west. I called back my help and at that point i had stepped back a few steps from launch and my helper had made it back to the tail of my glider and I felt he was fine there.Once stabilized and happy with the wind I turned my head over my right shoulder so i could be heard and once again cleared the help.I was looking behind me more when i should have looked in front. As i was walking and talking I believe i lifted the right wing a bit and stepping up to launch with the wind still a bit west. A bit of a gust came up for the perfect storm. I started to slide to the east side of launch and not able to get the rising wing back. The glider flipped over.It was like being on a carnival ride but not any fun.During the mayhem I broke my 4th metacarpal on my left hand.But even so i had only a little pain in my pinky .I disassembled the slightly scuffed glider my self and did about 3 hours of gardening afterwards, went home took a shower and washed my hair. My hand was swelling bit so took off my wedding ring and then noticed something in my hand felt funny.So off to Olive View hospital about 7:30 PM and then to finally return home about 3:30 AM with a huge splint.Now i have plenty of time to reflect on my focus.
It was quite a few weeks this accident happened;
- Oh. So this accident happening had a duration of quite a few weeks. Really gotta admire the tenacity, endurance, dedication required to sustain an accident for quite a few weeks. Most of the ones I know about run their courses within spans of two to four seconds. Pity no one came by to intervene in all that time. (Any chance we can get a rough estimate of the start and completion dates?)

- Also, please don't bother giving us any indication regarding the launch site. We don't wanna get bogged down in superfluous trivia like that. (Undoubtedly Kagel.)

- Yes, Kris. An ACCIDENT.
..happened;and...
Space key. The really wide one in the middle of the bottom row. You can get it with either thumb.
...likely old news.
Old news on which no one has uttered a single public comment over the quite a few weeks this accident happened. This verges on being another case of a dead horse being beaten.
Short version:
I blew over on launch while hooked in.
So much more of pain than blowing over on launch while NOT hooked in.
Long version:
I wanted to feel wind on my face and bugs in my teeth before i...
Shift key. The one on the extreme left and one row up from the bottom. Says "shift" on it. There's another one like it on the opposite end of that row.
...left for a non flying vacation.
And isn't it wonderful that you have the ability to leave for non flying vacations while lacking grade school level writing proficiency.
I was tired but took the opportunity to squeeze in a hot mid day launch flight.
Sorry. Missed the part in which flight was involved.
The winds were as expected, a bit gusty and unsettled.Nothing to be concerned about.
Right. I know I'm always at my lowest concern levels when I'm tired during midday launches in hot, gusty, unsettled conditions at unidentified flying sites.
I had very capable help from set up area to launch and on launch.
- And just think how badly things might have turned out if you HADN'T had very capable help from set up area to launch and on launch.

- So how come you're not identifying any of this very capable help? Afraid that if you do the rest of us will know who these people are and try to snatch them away from you for our own selfish benefit?
I clearly cleared my helper then hesitated as the wind shifted quite cross from the west.
- Which could be either left or right 'cause you haven't identified the launch.

- And it's always a really great idea to clearly clear one's very capable helper as you approach launch position. The more components you have in a launch system the more likely you are to have a catastrophic failure. KISS.
I called back my help...
Great job continuing to not identify it. You don't miss a trick.
...and at that point i...
See above.
...had stepped back a few steps from launch and my helper had made it back to the tail of my glider...
As opposed to the tail of your helicopter.
...and I felt he was fine there.
- Yeah, that's a SUPER position for your very capable anonymous help who very conspicuously has neither previously posted anything about this old news nor participated in this current discussion. (I guess it's his modesty that's holding him back.) It would be totally nuts to put him on the upwind wing (of your glider).

- Translation. It was totally moronic for the very capable help to go to the tail (of your glider) and for you not to put him on the upwind wing (of your glider).
...there.Once...
See above.
...stabilized and happy with the wind...
The expected, gusty, unsettled wind.
...I turned my head over my right shoulder...
Yeah, make sure you tell us which shoulder you turned your head over but not which side the wind was coming from.
...so i could be heard...
Damn good thing he was on the tail (of your glider) then. If he had been on the left wing (of your glider) you might have turned your head an additional ninety degrees and fatally snapped your neck.
...and once again cleared the help.
The help. One of your very capable black servants I'm guessing. (Hard to imagine just how far you'd be bending over backwards to not identify him if he HADN'T been so fucking very capable.
...help.I...
See above.
...was looking behind me more when i should have looked in front.
- Just can't emphasize enough how important it is to have your very capable help on the tail (of your glider).

- Why? He's so very obviously very capable help so why do you need to be checking on him so much? Afraid that he's pitching the nose (of your glider) down by pulling down on the tail (of your glider)?
As i was walking and talking...
About WHAT? Did you NEED to be talking about anything while being helped into position by your very capable help?
...I believe i lifted the right wing a bit and stepping up to launch with the wind still a bit west. A bit of a gust came up for the perfect storm.
- In which to launch.

- It couldn't be a PERFECT storm. In order for it to be perfect your very capable helper would've need to be incompetent. (And thank you very much for slipping up just now and verifying that you know that this obvious Grebloville, Inc. product totally was.)
I started to slide to the east side of launch and not able to get the rising wing back.
Pity you didn't have another very capable helper on the rising wing (of your glider) while your very capable helper maintained his critical position on the tail (of your glider).
The glider flipped over.
No shit.
...over.It...
See above.
...was like being on a carnival ride...
So the effort wasn't a TOTAL useless clusterfuck.
...but not any fun.
Hard to imagine a carnival ride not being any fun.
...fun.During...
See above.
...the mayhem...
The mayhem which endured for quite a few weeks.
...I broke my 4th metacarpal on my left hand.
And then what happened as the mayhem further progressed?
...hand.But...
See above.
...even so i...
See above.
...had only a little pain in my pinky .
Guess your very capable help wasn't much up to speed on first responder issues. Oh well, very capable help so seldom needs to be.
...pinky .I...
That's better. You got a space in there this time. Not quite in the right place but we'll take what we can get.
...disassembled the slightly scuffed glider...
Good thing you'd had the forethought to bring the necessary tools.
...my self...
- Maybe you could move that space to somewhere it DOES belong.
- So what happened to your very capable help?
...and did about 3 hours of gardening afterwards...
You've gotta take a firmer hand with the help.
...went home took a shower and washed my hair. My hand was swelling bit so took off my wedding ring...
The one you got 35 years ago from the greatest instructor in Southern California hang gliding history?
...and then noticed something in my hand felt funny.So...
That must be what's been affecting your typing.
...off to Olive View hospital about 7:30 PM and then to finally return home about 3:30 AM with a huge splint.Now i have plenty of time to reflect on my...
...literacy issues.
...focus.

Which seems to have been the very capable help you had on the tail (of your glider) while the right wing (of your glider) was going up and over the top. Just how much time do you think you'll need for reflection on this?
Bob Kuczewski - 2017/10/13 09:50:38 UTC

Thanks for the report.
The beautifully written report including every detail of all relevant issues regarding an accident that happened quite a few weeks.
It's never fun to write those...
Especially so for those of us who never advanced to a second grade literacy level.
...but they serve as a good lesson to us all.
- And thank you for speaking on my behalf and expressing things so much more accurately and succinctly than I could ever imagine being able to do on my own.

- And the good lesson to us all being that when we're moving our glider into launch position in gusty and unsettled conditions which are nothing to be concerned about with very capable help on the tail (of our glider) where we feel he is fine we should be looking forward more than behind. What a pity it is that u$hPa won't be able to amend it to their SOPs due to the concern of being sued out of existence for not having amended it years earlier and thus prevented so many others from similar and more devastating accidents.
I'm glad you're (mostly) O.K. Image
You can mostly suck my dick, Bob. Image
Jeff Bjorck - 2017/10/19 23:51:43 UTC

Thanks for the report, Kris. All of us need to be reminded because I bet all of us have done the same thing more than once.
Fuck yeah. I myself did it three times in two days last weekend. And now I think I'm getting a handle in these issues by spending lotsa time reflecting on my focus.
Hope you heal fully and fast!
And keep up the great typing and careful attention to not identifying any very capable help.