General discussion about the sport of hang gliding
Tad Eareckson

Re: Weak links

Post by Tad Eareckson »

http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=26870
weak links
Carole Sherrington (psuguru) - 2012/09/22 22:31:58 UTC
Chelmsford, Essex
The weak-link sure taught him a lesson, perhaps we should also have given him a good kicking while he was on the ground waiting for the air ambulance.
I seem to remember landing a few swift kicks; I distinctly remember a rib going.'
'Rotter made us miss a whole hour of flying!'
Could've been worse... On 2005/09/03 an illegal understrength weak link on the tug end was one of the necessary factors for taking out a tandem glider and the student and flight park owner underneath it, prompted a lawsuit, and forced USHGA to craft a bullshit safety advisory with excruciatingly careful avoidance of the term "weak link".
Carole Sherrington - 2012/09/22 22:35:06 UTC

How well does it knot?
Yeah, now that we're all good with 160 pound test and whatever the hell that might translate to on a two or one point bridle of any material and diameter and while knowing NOTHING of flying weight or glider model... Let's start talking about knots.
Some fishing lines and man-made materials will unfasten in front of your eyes unless you've applied a PhD in topology to the knot.
Bullshit.

- Nobody uses monofilament and this OBVIOUSLY isn't monofilament.

- This is fucking braided Dacron - just like the damnable Greenspot.

- Any of this stuff - whether it's twenty or twenty thousand pound test - accepts the same knots.

- There are no secure knots for monofilament, braided, or twisted line that a goddam eight year old kid can't learn to tie after a few minutes instruction.
hangster - 2012/09/22 22:52:16 UTC

I don't know , i couldn't find 160lb green spot anywhere
And since we've concluded that 160 is the perfect test strength for you there really wasn't much point in considering any other numbers.
Brad Barkley - 2012/09/22 23:08:52 UTC

From Tracy and Lisa's article mentioned in this thread:
Also the article of Trisa's mentioned in THIS thread:

http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=26302
HIGHER EDUCATION ?
So, the typical weak link used for aerotowing most hang gliders, made as a single loop from 130 lb. line, will have a nominal 1G breaking strength of 260 lbs. and be legal for both the very small, light glider and the heavier, larger glider--assuming there is no reduction in strength of the weak link due to a knot in the line...And these are extreme cases. When we look at gliders and pilots of more average size, the standard 260 lb. weak link placed on the end of the V-bridle is FAA-legal for most gliders and pilots, and closer to the USHPA nominal 1G recommendation.
Hey Brad... Do yourself and everybody else a huge favor and stay the fuck out of discussions involving material you don't have a snowball's chance in hell of ever understanding.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

weak links
Zack C - 2012/09/23 14:57:20 UTC
From Tracy and Lisa's article mentioned in this thread...
Also mentioned in this thread, this breaking strength assumption is not correct, as has been experimentally verified many times by many sources.
But definitely not at Cloud 9.
Dr. Trisa Tilletti - 2012/06

We could get into details of lab testing weak links and bridles, but this article is already getting long. That would be a good topic for an article in the future. Besides, with our backgrounds in formal research, you and I both know that lab tests may produce results with good internal validity, but are often weak in regard to external validity--meaning lab conditions cannot completely include all the factors and variability that exists in the big, real world.
Bench test results would be completely meaningless 'cause in the real world you have total assholes at both ends of the towline and there's just no way to accurately simulate that on a test rig.
Would this in 160lb be good?
Good for WHAT? If your expectation of the weak link is as high as that of Trisa's it really doesn't matter what you use.
For an S2 155, 160 lbs would put you at around 0.9 times the MCOW. Legal, but barely so, and far below 'the USHPA nominal 1G recommendation' (i.e., your hook in weight plus the glider's weight).
How well does it knot?
It's braided Dacron, same as Greenspot, so I'd expect them to be similar.
Identical.
Brad Barkley - 2012/09/23 15:12:10 UTC

It's what they use at their own flight park.
All these fucking morons use the same junk at their own flight parks. They see Bobby Bender Bailey do something, they all copy it down to the last coat hanger 'cause he's a fucking genius when it comes to this shit.
Zack C - 2012/09/23 16:21:08 UTC

If they assume their weak links break at twice what they actually do, what else would you expect?
AND, based on several decades of experience and hundreds of thousands of tows conducted by numerous aerotow operators across the county, they've got a proven system that works. So why reinvent a perfectly good wheel?
They think...
Neither of those assholes could think with guns to their heads - especially if they were in the same room constantly reassuring each other that they were the greatest things to hit hang gliding since aluminum tubing.
...they're following their own recommendations and the FAA regulations.
THIS:
Steve Davy - 2012/05/31 11:17:01 UTC

I suspect the article is an attempt to provide flight park operators and USHPA with justification and ammunition in a legal case filed against them.
is what they're thinking and doing.
I'm just saying actually follow them.
Yeah.

http://ozreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=24846
Is this a joke ?
Jim Rooney - 2011/08/28 19:39:17 UTC

But the "other side"... the not cautions one... is not one of frustration, it's one of very real danger.
Better to be frustrated than in a hospital, or worse.
No exaggeration... this is the fire that the "other side" is made of. Best not to play with it.
Right.
Dennis Wood - 2012/09/23 18:28:23 UTC

just speaking to the forces applied to the weak links.
Just exactly what is it that leads you to the conclusion that you're qualified to speak to any towing related issue?
...in a pro-tow situation...
Glad we're agreed that "pro-towing" is - in and of itself - already a "situation".
...the force is divided between two points...
Of course it is. That's why they call it two point towing.
...i.e. at each shoulder, so if force is split into two equal parts, how much is it?
I have absolutely no idea, Dennis. Maybe you can enlighten us all.
now on a keel tow, again the force is split.
In half, just as with "pro-towing". Right Dennis? 'Cause were the load increased due to the separation of the two connection points surely Bobby Bender Bailey - who's a fucking genius when it comes to this shit - would insist upon a heavier standard aerotow weak link for two point than the standard aerotow weak link used for "pro-towing".
before complaining about how strong a weak link is...
Sorry, I missed the part in this discussion in which someone was complaining about how strong a weak link was.
...look at the different rigs and see how it is used.
And then what should we do, oh Revered Wise One?

Go fuck yourself, Dennis. These Jack Show discussions tend to be plenty moronic enough without any of your input.

http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=11497
Aerotow release options?
Dennis Wood - 2009/04/12 13:52:58 UTC

probably obvious to everyone, but i'll say it anyway. just as we practice locating our reserve handles and even hanging for hours in our harnesses in the garage, maybe we should also have a tow release rigged up so as to while away the hours hang waiting, so that we can find it every time, even with someone messing with you. be familiar with what you got. as for the best type release, it ain't been made yet, or people wouldn't still be trying. but remember, the release is safety equipment of the first order. treat it as such.
Go practice reaching for your bent pin release in the garage where you can keep pretending that it'll release under load and the glider won't instantly roll on its ear and slam you in the way it does to people in real life.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

weak links
Chris McKeon - 2012/09/23 16:36:10 UTC
California

Safe towing release setup
Why would you want a SAFE towing release setup when you can get an Industry Standard one with a huge track record from an operation that's been perfecting aerotowing for decades?
I realize that I am asking a question that is not on task, so to speak. But, I figure if all of you are into towing. Maybe one of you could turn me on to system, a set-up as in how the towing force/line is released. It has always seemed to me that one would not want to being taking one's hands off the control frame while things are getting out of shape, providing they are.
Sorry Chris, this is utter nonsense. But you're from California where there isn't a lot of towing done so your naivety can be forgiven.
So, please show me your systems for disconnecting yourself from the Tow Line.
Well, we'd like to but...
No posts or links about Bob K, Scott C Wise, Tad Eareckson and related people, or their material. ALL SUCH POSTS WILL BE IMMEDIATELY DELETED. These people are poison to this sport and are permanently banned from this site in every possible way imaginable.
...rules are rules, dude.
Thank You
The Big Guy
925-497-1059
CCMCK@GOLDSTATE.NET
Carole Sherrington - 2012/09/23 23:52:53 UTC
Chelmsford, Essex

Re: Safe towing realese set up

If it's got to the point where you have to release because of an impending lock-out, taking your hands off the control bar won't make much of a difference.
Yeah Carole, you'd THINK that when flying a weight-shift aircraft over which your control authority is a bit marginal to begin with, hooking it up to a rope to make it REALLY roll unstable, getting into a thermal induced, critical, rapidly degrading situation near the surface in which what control authority you have is being overwhelmed while you're straining to resist with every ounce of muscle you can muster, that there'd be some downside to taking a hand off the controls - which, in hang gliding, is pretty much the same as taking both hands off the controls.

But the good news is that this is hang gliding. And in hang gliding Newtonian physics and reality in general always take back seats to our expectations. And our expectations of a hang glider release are that...
Doug Hildreth - 1991/06

Pilot with some tow experience was towing on a new glider which was a little small for him. Good launch, but at about fifty feet the glider nosed up, stalled, and the pilot released by letting go of the basetube with right hand. Glider did a wingover to the left and crashed into a field next to the tow road. Amazingly, there were minimal injuries.

Comment: This scenario has been reported numerous times. Obviously, the primary problem is the lack of pilot skill and experience in avoiding low-level, post-launch, nose-high stalls. The emphasis by countless reporters that the pilot lets go of the glider with his right hand to activate the release seems to indicate that we need a better hands-on way to release.

I know, I know, "If they would just do it right. Our current system is really okay." I'm just telling you what's going on in the real world. They are not doing it right and it's up to us to fix the problem.
Steve Kinsley - 1996/05/09 15:50

Personal opinion. While I don't know the circumstances of Frank's death and I am not an awesome tow type dude, I think tow releases, all of them, stink on ice. Reason: You need two hands to drive a hang glider. You 'specially need two hands if it starts to turn on tow. If you let go to release, the glider can almost instantly assume a radical attitude. We need a release that is held in the mouth. A clothespin. Open your mouth and you're off.
...experienced pilots will always be able to hold things together so well with one hand that there's really no point in looking at existing technologies which allow one to release with both hands on the controls at all times - even in aerotowing in which you're hooked up on a short fixed length towline to a vehicle with very limited options for adjusting speed.

And besides, we're using an appropriate weak link which is the focal point of a safe towing system. And our expectations for an appropriate weak link are...

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/skysailingtowing/message/6726
Weaklinks
Peter Birren - 2008/10/27 23:41:49 UTC

Imagine if you will, just coming off the cart and center punching a thermal which takes you instantly straight up while the tug is still on the ground. Know what happens? VERY high towline forces and an over-the-top lockout. You'll have both hands on the basetube pulling it well past your knees but the glider doesn't come down and still the weaklink doesn't break (.8G). So you pull whatever release you have but the one hand still on the basetube isn't enough to hold the nose down and you pop up and over into an unplanned semi-loop. Been there, done that... at maybe 200 feet agl.
Dennis Pagen - 2005/01

I pulled in all the way, but could see that I wasn't going to come down unless something changed. I hung on and resisted the tendency to roll to the side with as strong a roll input as I could, given that the bar was at my knees.

I didn't want to release, because I was so close to the ground and I knew that the glider would be in a compromised attitude. In addition, there were hangars and trees on the left, which is the way the glider was tending.

By the time we gained about sixty feet I could no longer hold the glider centered - I was probably at a twenty degree bank - so I quickly released before the lockout to the side progressed. The glider instantly whipped to the side in a wingover maneuver.
...that it will:

- if you fail to maintain the correct tow position (centered, with the wheels of the tug on the horizon), break before you can get into too much trouble;

- clearly provide protection from excessive angles of attack, high bank turns, and the like for this form of towing;

- break as early as possible in lockout situations, but be strong and reliable enough to avoid frequent breaks from turbulence;

- function as an instant hands free release when you increase your roll and push out.

Think about it, Carole. If there were really any advantages to having both hands on the basetube at all times, would not...
Manned Kiting
The Basic Handbook of Tow Launched Hang Gliding
by Daniel F. Poynter

"Never take your hands off the bar." - Tom Peghiny
- everybody be using equipment which allowed him to keep both hands on the basetube at all times instead of the Quallaby crap that virtually everyone and his dog has been surviving with for the past couple of decades?

- Donnell Hewett, inventor of the center of mass towing system, have included a point about uninterrupted glider control in his criteria for safe towing systems?

- Bobby Bender Bailey, who's a fucking genius when it comes to this shit, have developed release equipment for the glider comparable to what he designed into the Bailey-Moyes Dragonfly in which he spends just about all of his time?

- Bill Moyes...

http://ozreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1143
Death at Tocumwal
Davis Straub - 2006/01/24 12:27:32 UTC

Bill Moyes argues that you should not have to move your hand from the base bar to release. That is because your natural inclination is to continue to hold onto the base bar in tough conditions and to try to fly the glider when you should be releasing.
...be offering good, built-in, two point release systems with his gliders?

- Peter Birren, inventor of the most reliable release system...

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/skysailingtowing/message/6726
Weaklinks
Peter Birren - 2008/10/27 23:41:49 UTC

I know about this type of accident because it happened to me, breaking four ribs and my larynx... and I was aerotowing using a dolly. The shit happened so fast there was no room for thought much less action.
...known to mankind, developer of the Birren Pitch and Lockout Limiter, tireless advocate of...

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/skysailingtowing/message/7066
AT SOPs - proposed revisions
Peter Birren - 2009/05/10 01:33:57 UTC

If you want a truly foolproof release, it's got to be one that eliminates the pilot from the equation with a release that operates automatically.
...eliminating the pilot from the equation, and recipient of the 2006 USHGA NAA Safety Award, have incorporated something along those lines in one of his configurations?

- the excellent book, Towing Aloft, by Dennis Pagen and Bill Bryden, have included a mention of such an advantage at least once in the course of its 374 pages?

Just talk to Christopher...

http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=26800
Sport 2 VG lessons learned IMHO!
Christopher LeFay - 2012/08/06 05:30:55 UTC

Training yourself to transition in the first second of launch will kill you eventually.
It may be deadly to move a hand from a down to a base tube at a time of your chosing when the glider's flying trim and everything's under control during a free flight launch. But in any imaginable situation on a tow launch... Don't sweat it, dude.

http://ozreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14221
Tad's release
Tad Eareckson - 2008/12/16 16:14:02 UTC

Anybody else ever notice that the ONLY AT pilots we hurt or kill are the ones who have to reach for their release actuators?
Paul Farina - 2008/12/16 16:42:24 UTC

I rest my case.
Well...
British Hang Gliding and Paragliding Association Technical Manual - 2003/04

On tow the Pilot in Command must have his hand actually on the release at all times. 'Near' the release is not close enough! When you have two hands completely full of locked-out glider, taking one off to go looking for the release guarantees that your situation is going to get worse before it gets better.
The situation CAN get worse if you take a hand off the control frame to go looking for a release when you're trying to deal with a locked out glider - but just for tandems and just in the UK.
If it's got to the point where you have to release because of an impending lock-out, taking your hands off the control bar won't make much of a difference.
And lemme tell ya sumpin' else - asshole.

Having a release setup that doesn't stink on ice allows a PILOT...
- NOT to get the point at which he HAS TO release because of an impending lock-out
- abort a tow for a whole bunch of reasons other than lockout threat such as...
-- dolly stability issue
-- dolly snag
-- crosswind gust
-- thermal blast
-- blown launch
-- incompetent driver

Yeah, if everybody's careful an individual pilot can get away with flying releases that stink on ice for a decades long career just as he can get away with skipping hook-in checks and standup landings. But don't be so shitheaded as to think for a nanosecond that safety margins won't be butchered and we won't be maiming and killing people we don't have to.
Most people in the UK who tow with a static winch use a Koch-type 2-lever release and use that for aerotowing too.
Using a Koch two - or one - stage for aerotowing is moronic. It's engineered for a job it doesn't need to do for aerotowing and NOT engineered for a job it DOES.

And lemme ask ya sumpin' - asshole.

If there's no particular disadvantage to flying with a release that stink on ice, why are the shitheads who use them so terrified of not being able to blow tow with both hands on the basetube that...

Is this a joke ?
Marc Fink - 2011/08/31 08:11:05 UTC

I was actually in the process of reaching for the release and just about to pull it when the weaklink blew. If procedures were amended to "insist" on stronger weaklinks I would simply stop towing.
...they're all so happily using standard aerotow weaklinks that blow every other tow or more and crash them on regular bases on the desperate hope that they'll blow early enough in lockouts to keep them from breaking their stupid fucking necks?
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

Hey Marc...

Is this a joke ?
Marc Fink - 2011/08/28 21:11:09 UTC

The weaklink blew and the glider stalled--needed every bit of the 250 ft agl to speed up and pull out. I'm alive because I didn't use a stronger one
Marc Fink - 2011/08/31 08:11:05 UTC

I was actually in the process of reaching for the release and just about to pull it when the weaklink blew. If procedures were amended to "insist" on stronger weaklinks I would simply stop towing.
weak links
Davis Straub - 2012/08/13 18:08:42 UTC

Used to do 130 lbs. Now do 200 lbs.
Sounds like procedures are being amended to "insist" on 385 foot stall recovery weak links. 54 percent increase in the kill zone height. Gonna simply stop towing? Or are you just gonna continue going along with whatever the douchebags running this show are saying and doing at the present - like the stupid clone you've always been?
Steve Davy

Post by Steve Davy »

...and NOT engineered for a job it DOES.
Please explain what you mean by this statement.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

Meaning:

...and NOT engineered for a job it DOES need to do for aerotowing.

It's a pretty good release for non platform surface towing but...

It's SO EASY to engineer a both-hands-on-the-basetube release for aero - two or one point - that it's criminally negligent to allow anybody up with the crap that damn near everybody, save for the Russians, uses.

Steve Elliot would've wound up just as dead with the Koch as he did with the Bailey crap he was using. If he had just had one of fuckin' Peter Birren's fuckin' twenty dollar Linknives at the other end of a string in his teeth he'd have been able to abort the tow and give it another shot.

But since Davis sells the kind of Bailey crap that got him killed the reason he died was 'cause he set his keel bracket too low.
Steve Davy

Post by Steve Davy »

Thanks for the clarification. I was reading that as not designed to do the job it was designed to do.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

Yeah, that sentence was overly truncated. Sorry 'bout that.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

http://ozreport.com/3.066
Weaklinks
Davis Straub - 1999/06/06

During the US Nationals I wrote a bit about weaklinks and the gag weaklinks that someone tied at Quest Air. A few days after I wrote about them, Bobby Bailey, designer and builder of the Bailey-Moyes Dragon Fly tug, approached me visibly upset about what I and James Freeman had written about weaklinks. He was especially upset that I had written that I had doubled my weaklink after three weaklinks in a row had broken on me.
http://ozreport.com/9.032
The Worlds - weaklinks
Davis Straub - 2005/02/07

For a couple of years I have flown with a doubled weaklink because, flying with a rigid wing glider, I have found that there is little reason to expect trouble on tow, except from a weaklink break.
http://ozreport.com/12.080
No one makes it back - Santa Cruz Flats Race, day two
Davis Straub - 2008/04/22 06:02:32 UTC

I was not the only one breaking weaklinks as it seemed for a while every third pilot was having this problem.
http://ozreport.com/13.238
Adam Parer on his tuck and tumble
Adam Parer - 2009/11/25

Due to the rough conditions weak links were breaking just about every other tow and the two tugs worked hard to eventually get everyone off the ground successfully.
Is this a joke ?
Davis Straub - 2011/08/26 14:04:52 UTC

We had six weaklink breaks in a row at Zapata this year. Russell Brown (tug pilot, tug owner, Quest Air owner) said go ahead and double up (four strands of Cortland Greenspot).
Davis Straub - 2011/08/28 15:26:28 UTC

We couldn't figure out why we had so many breaks so quickly. Maybe just coincidence.
http://ozreport.com/16.003
Forbes Flatlands - practice day not so great
Davis Straub - 2012/01/04 05:55:02 UTC

The tugs weren't up to the job of getting everyone off in time and given the poor conditions, it was a poor showing all around. Lots of weak link breaks in some turbulent air. No safety issues due to good organization on the lines.
http://ozreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=27494
The exciting bits
Steve Davy - 2012/04/27 03:13:52 UTC

Kinda seems like you guys that do a lot of towing would be able to figure this out. Guess not.
Davis Straub - 2012/04/27 11:51:33 UTC

I wrote about Zapata because what happened is very unusual.
Steve Davy

Post by Steve Davy »

Davis, you're not smart enough to be a moron.