Weak links

General discussion about the sport of hang gliding
Tad Eareckson

Re: Weak links

Post by Tad Eareckson »

Sounds like something he composed by throwing darts at pages he ripped out of a math textbook and pasting all the longest hit-words together in long strings.

http://ozreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=25015
Zippy pounds in
Davis Straub - 2011/09/02 18:37:09 UTC

Concussions are in fact very serious and have life long effects. The last time I was knocked out what in 9th grade football. I have felt the effects of that ever since. It changes your wiring.
And here he is four years later in a thread of Yours Truly's:

http://ozreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=15716
weak links
Davis Straub - 2009/04/22 12:07:12 UTC

Pro tow?

So. It would be the same with a V-bridle.
Not the slightest hint of a fuckin' clue that tensions increase with apex angle increases. But what the hell... All his weak links have to be is appropriate - so he can check that box in his Risk Mitigation Plan.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

In REAL aviation...
Tost Flugzeuggerätebau

Weak links protect your aircraft against overloading.
...a weak link is THE weak link - a cheap piece of hardware that will break before something expensive does. In hang gliding, SINCE THE BEGINNING OF TIME...
Donnell Hewett - 1980/12

Now I've heard the argument that "Weak links always break at the worst possible time, when the glider is climbing hard in a near stall situation," and that "More people have been injured because of a weak link than saved by one." Well, I for one have been saved by a weak link and would not even consider towing without one. I want to know without a doubt (1) when I am pushing too hard, and (2) what will break when I push too hard, and (3) that no other damage need result because I push too hard.
...it's been a lockout protector. A weak link BEING USED AS A WEAK LINK *WON'T* always or EVER break at the worst possible time, when the glider is climbing hard in a near stall situation. That's not ANYTHING LIKE an OVERLOAD situation. Climbing hard...

10-03323
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2928/14397296584_1d0e5e389b_o.png

...in near stall situations is what we're SUPPOSED TO BE doing on tow.

If the thrust on a passenger jet takeoff instantaneously goes to zero as it's getting or has recently gotten airborne hundreds of people on the plane and a few dozen on the ground are DEAD. And, for all intents and purposes, that NEVER HAPPENS. Hang glider tugs tend not to fair very well...

...EITHER. And ditto regarding the frequency of such incidents. But for us hang glider muppets an instantaneous total loss of thrust at the worst possible time, when the glider is climbing hard in a near stall situation "every once in a while" is the only thing standing between us and certain death. Good news... We're all trained to be able to safely respond to the increase in the safety of the towing operation - in smooth air at two thousand feet and at a moment of our instructor's choosing.

So it recently occurred to me that in the pre Hewett Insanity era the ONLY assholes using weak links were using marginal ones as lockout protectors...
Jerry Forburger - 1990/10

High line tensions reduce the pilot's ability to control the glider and we all know that the killer "lockout" is caused by high towline tension.
...to compensate for the shortcomings of easily reachable releases. It was all or nothing - the glider connected directly to a carefully-inspected-every-ten-flights two thousand pound towline or to a one G Hewett Infallible Weak Link prequel. There was never a five or six hundred pound weak link to prevent anything sanely engineered from being bent or broken.

Then we had decades of carnage illustrating how totally way-south-of-useless Hewett Links were in complying with our expectations and ACTUAL NUMBERS...
Dr. Trisa Tilletti - 2012/06

We could get into details of lab testing weak links and bridles, but this article is already getting long. That would be a good topic for an article in the future. Besides, with our backgrounds in formal research, you and I both know that lab tests may produce results with good internal validity, but are often weak in regard to external validity--meaning lab conditions cannot completely include all the factors and variability that exists in the big, real world.
...became serious threats. So then we established a priesthood...

http://www.paraglidingforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=28697
Weak links why do we use them. in paragliding.
Morey Brown - 2009/12/05 02:33:33 UTC

Yes, the forces increase in a lockout situation. Sufficiently to break a proper weak link.

How do we know where to set the weak link's breaking limit? From my perspective, it always seems to be a magic formula known only to towmasters, which is why I will only tow with people who have done a thousand of them.
http://ozreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=24846
Is this a joke ?
Jim Rooney - 2011/08/25 21:40:25 UTC

Tommy.
First, I sent Steve a bunch of info offline. Hopefully it clears things up a bit for him.
Unfortunately, he's stumbled onto some of Tad's old rantings and got suckered in. So most of this was just the same old story of debunking Tad's lunacy... again .

See, the thing is... "we", the people that work at and run aerotow parks, have a long track record.
This stuff isn't new, and has been slowly refined over decades.
We have done quite literally hundreds of thousands of tows.
We know what we're doing.

Sure "there's always room for improvement", but you have to realize the depth of experience you're dealing with here.
There isn't going to be some "oh gee, why didn't I think of that?" moment. The obvious answers have already been explored... at length.

Anyway...
Weaklink material... exactly what Davis said.

It's no mystery.
It's only a mystery why people choose to reinvent the wheel when we've got a proven system that works.
http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=36170
Weak Links?
Bart Weghorst - 2018/09/14 17:58:16 UTC

Please understand that the use of weak links does not prevent a lockout. They could help but they really serve a different purpose. I don't like to explain all this here because I think this forum is not a good medium to teach hang gliding subjects like these. When in doubt, consult an experienced AT operator and attend an AT course.
...to provide guidance and define proper behavior and attitudes in our understandings and relationships with the Focal Point of Our Safe Towing System.

And the establishments of Dragonfly tow mast breakaway and its protector and...

http://ozreport.com/5.126
Flytec Dragonfly
USAFlytec - 2001/07/14

Steve Kroop - Russell Brown - Bob Lane - Jim Prahl - Campbell Bowen

The tail section of the Dragonfly is designed so that it can accept in-line as well as lateral loads. Furthermore the mast extension, which is part of the tow system, is designed to break away in the event of excessive in-line or lateral loads. The force required to cause a breakaway is roughly equivalent to the force required to break the double weaklink used on the tail bridle. More simply put, the mast would break away long before any structural damage to the aircraft would occur.
http://www.chgpa.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3600
Weak link question
Jim Rooney - 2008/11/24 18:54:27 UTC

I'm confused. I never said the tug's ass was endangered. That's why we use 3strand at the tug's end. Using 4 strand can rip things off (it's happened).

...the Bobby Fucking-Genius Bailey bent pin backup / pro toad release...

http://ozreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=31052
Poll on weaklinks
Jim Rooney - 2013/03/10 22:58:21 UTC

I'm not bothered by straight pin releases.
I do think the strong link guys gravitate to them due to the higher release tensions that strong links can encounter.
...have guaranteed that never in the course of whatever remains of hang gliding history will there be sane mainstream discussions and implementations of weak links as structural overload protectors. Anything else... What the hell, knock yourself out.

I think the hang glider weak link issue has found its stable bottom point in the hang gliding cultural cesspool and that we'll see no noteworthy changes in what's left of our lifetimes. And the power structure is never again gonna tolerate - let alone legitimize and...

http://ozreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=22660
What can be learned from this "scooter" towing accident?
Mitch Shipley - 2011/01/31 15:22:59 UTC

Enjoy your posts, as always, and find your comments solid, based on hundreds of hours / tows of experience and backed up by a keen intellect/knowledge of the issues when it comes to most things in general and hang gliding AT/Towing in particular. Wanted to go on record in case anyone reading wanted to know one persons comments they should give weight to.
...promote an off-the-scale stupid, egomaniacal, self-delusional, sociopathic little snake oil salesman like Jim Keen-Intellect Rooney. It was fuckin' Christmas morning for us every single time he put anything in print - invariably a blatant glaring contradiction of five or six other revelations he'd previously put in print.

(Kinda ironic. Puts him in the same category as someone who totally knows what the fuck he's talking about.)

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/skysailingtowing/message/7230
Towing question
Martin Henry - 2009/06/26 06:06:59 UTC

PS... you got to be careful mentioning weak link strengths around the forum, it can spark a civil war ;-)
We won the civil war. And weak length strengths will no longer be mentioned on any mainstream forum. It's an extremely complicated formula that can only be understood and calculated for an individual by a tow operator with many thousands of cycles under his belt. Takes into account experience level, gender, social connections, religious affiliation, Zodiac sign, lapse rate, relative humidity, Coriolis effect, sunspot activity... Any factors a tow operator feels like considering save for the glider's maximum certified operating weight.

Ten Chris McKeon topics on Jack Show General Page One. Guess something's gotta surge in to fill the vacuum Jack created by outlawing rational competent posts and posters on the worlds largest hang gliding community. I wonder how long those assholes think that particular Living Room Ponzi scheme will be sustainable.

P.S. About a day or so ago we got hit by another major unregistered bot attack which majorly inflated hits counts on all our topics. So comparisons with what's going on with the Jack Show topic are no longer valid.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

Back around the 2009/2010 transition I got on the international bags rag and started kicking ass with respect to the Hewett Infallible Weak Link issue. But...

http://www.paraglidingforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=28697
Weak links why do we use them. in paragliding.
Forum Moderators - 2010/02/24 22:02:46 UTC

Tad Eareckson

We, the Moderators, feel that weak links are an important topic. In our view Tad Eareckson's posts have discouraged others from taking part in this discussion, so, after several warnings, he has been banned. His most recent post, after this topic was locked, is here. We are happy to lift the ban if we come to the view that Tad has further positive contributions to make - please contact us by PM or by email if you feel that this is the case.
...in the view of the bags Moderators my posts were discouraging others from taking part in the discussion of this important topic. So, after receiving several warnings to stop making sense and kicking incompetent sleazy BHPA and Moderator ass so effectively, I was banned.

They were happy to lift the ban if they'd come to the view that I had further POSITIVE contributions to make and asked members to contact them by PM or email if they felt that this was the case - rather than post the sentiments for the public to see as well. And they obviously received no private communications in my favor or they would've posted the sentiments for the public to see as well. So, obviously, their decision was fully vindicated.

And, about eight months later the healthy PG weak link discussion that had been progressing before T** at K*** S****** broke in and destroyed all pretenses of civility, some asshole posted something about a guy who was DOA after suffering a heart attack on tow who would have been fine had he been using an appropriate weak link with a finished length of 1.5 inches or less.

And a Moderator told him that his post had pretty much zilch to do with anything - with the possible exception of sticking to a healthy diet.

And the poster expressed further interest in finding out exactly what an appropriate weak link would be for such a situation.

But the bagger crowd had been so traumatized by the incivility I'd brought to their previously harmonious kingdom that his inquiry was just left hanging there. Getting close to eight years now.

2011/12/01 14:28:18 UTC
2011/12/01 16:06:33 UTC
2011/12/01 16:12:04 UTC

And, by the way, it was Houston area dinosaur John Moody's interest in that thread (those two threads, actually) that motivated him to contact me. And that led me to the Houston rag - where I similarly kicked ass with no regard for the sensitivities of stupid sleazy douchebags. And that got me banned for a bit. And that was the catalyst for the founding of Kite Strings (by Zack).

But anyway, what brought me to that stretch of Memory Lane. The BHPA towing douchebags tend to follow whatever the US douchebags do. In the early Eighties they swallowed Hewett lunacy hook, line, sinker and wrote Brian Pattenden and the Brooks Bridle out of the history books. And in doing so helped send hang glider towing on a slow path to extinction.

In the US the situation is pure unadulterated fubar. But if one must do a short version...

- No one in the establishment can afford to utter with a pretense of authority a single syllable on the subject of weak links and it's virtually impossible to find out what AT operations anywhere are using.

- u$hPa SOPs - which no one ever read or made and pretenses of complying with in the first place - were rewritten to give a veneer of compliance with FAA AT regs. But it's been scientifically proven that weak link bench test breaking strengths are ten miles south of totally useless in predicting what they'll do in the air you just use whatever the fuck you feel like and pronounce the rating as whatever the fuck you feel like. (This article was peer-reviewed and approved for publication by the USHPA Towing Committee. (So fuck you, T** at K*** S******.)

So I check the current version of the BHPA SOPs...

http://www.bhpa.co.uk/pdf/BHPA_Tech_Manual_17.pdf
THE BHPA TECHNICAL MANUAL - 2017/07

...for the first time in a coon's age.

Same IDENTICAL idiot rot those motherfuckers have been spewing since the beginning of time.
Approved maximum weak link values for tow launch operations.

1. All weak link values stated are maximums.
2. All weak link values stated are for professionally purpose built calibrated weak links such as Tost and Koch. These values must be reduced by 20% if using any other type
of weak link.
3. 1daN is approximately 1kg force.
Absolutely nothing to do with overload issues, the weaker the safer so as light as your tow operator or tug driver feels like.

One fun thing that just occurred to me...

The Tost weak links...

ImageImage

...are well engineered, tested, calibrated, protected, good for zillions of launches.

In the US we (STILL commonly) use precision fishing line...

27-40324
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8394/8696380718_787dbc0005_o.png
http://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1866/44651441882_6c889632e4_o.png
23-22918

...because of its extremely long track record - and we replace it every ten tows in order to maintain the validity of the track record and cut down a bit on the totally harmless...

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-bRrpHNa68iY/UQ6Pv9gRZyI/AAAAAAAAjTg/Hc22bx5122Q/s2048/20943781_BG1.jpg

...inconveniences.

17-1821
http://c1.staticflickr.com/1/962/40373978690_9aef9ff7ca_o.png

So in the UK you obviously can test and verify your precision fishing line implementation accurately enough to ensure that it's a half pound shy of that twenty percent margin they mandate to ensure that it's twenty percent safer than the carefully calculated acceptable danger limits of their max ratings. So obviously the only thing these total fucking douchebags are worried about is the fishing line getting stronger with tow cycles and exceeding the limit.

Tost weak links...
Tost Flugzeuggerätebau

Weak links protect your aircraft against overloading.

- Use only the weak links stipulated in your aircraft TCDS or aircraft manual.

- Checking the cable preamble is mandatory according to SBO (German Gliding Operation Regulations); this includes the inspection of weak links.

- Replace the weak link immediately in the case of visible damage.

- We recommend that the weak link insert are replaced after 200 starts: AN INSERT EXCHANGED IN TIME IS ALWAYS SAFER AND CHEAPER THAN AN ABORTED LAUNCH.

- Always use the protective steel sleeve.
...protect your aircraft against overloading and need to be inspected every preflight and replaced if any damage is visible and after 200 tows even if it isn't 'cause of this crappy argument that being on tow is somehow safer than being off tow.

Fishing line needs to test at twenty percent under but then you can keep using it for as long as you like even though it keeps getting stronger and will pass through the Tost max acceptable danger limit.

Somebody make a case for some other possible BHPA logic take. What a bunch of off-the-scale total fucking assholes. And keep it civil 'cause we don't discourage too many others from taking part in this discussion.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

http://ozreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=30971
Zach Marzec
Jim Rooney - 2013/02/13 19:09:33 UTC

It was already worked out by the time I arrived.
The reason it sticks?
Trail and error.
It wasn't already worked out by the time *I* arrived, motherfucker. I arrived as an active participant in the sport 1980/04/02 at a time a bit over six months after a lone individual - Brian Pattenden of the Norfolk Hang Gliding Club - had determined, using aeronautical...

Is this a joke ?
Jim Rooney - 2011/08/26 06:04:23 UTC

So I don't give much credence to something that someone doesn't agree with about what we do for some theoretical reason.
...THEORY, that towline tension needed to be routed through the pilot and maybe about the same length of time before the concept was first implemented anywhere with an actual human clipped into an actual hang glider. And that latter point was also, unfortunately, about the same time that Donnell Hewett pulled outta his ass the opinion that a towed glider couldn't get out of control if the tension were limited to one G and couldn't stall if a tow force of one G were instantly eliminated by the successful failure of a loop of nylon string.

That was such an outstanding opinion that neither aeronautical theory nor untold hundreds of thousands of field experiences and observations has ever been able to dislodge it. Thus what had previously been the most dangerous issue in hang glider towing suddenly became the focal point of a safe towing system.

Then Bill Moyes, Bobby Bailey, and the rest of the Dragonfly pioneer assholes determined that a single loop of 130 pound Greenspot precision fishing line on a bridle end would put all solo gliders at one G and that if you wanted to double the loop you needed to add a passenger to the hang strap to prevent the Tad-O-Link from rendering the front end weak link inert and critically endangering the tug pilot.

And all of that crap is well documented in magazine and website and forum archives - so one's arrival date isn't really all that important (assuming one has the ability to READ anyway).

But your statement from that Zack Marzec inconvenience fatality discussion implies that AT weak link standards were determined by flight testing with various strengths of fishing line to identify what was best one-size-fits-all lockout protection for the typical solo hang glider. And there isn't a single scrap of evidence that such an exercise in total lunacy was ever conducted anywhere at any point in the history of any flavor of hang glider towing. (No shortage of field data to support the argument heard by Donnell that Infallible Weak Links always break at the worst possible time, when the glider is climbing hard in a near stall situation. (But of course the problem with all the assholes mangled and killed in those situations was that they failed to respond to the inconveniences as they'd been properly trained to.))

And your total bullshit semiliterate seventeen word proclamation pretty much proves that point. If the single loop of 130 pound Greenspot serving as the focal point of one's safe towing system had been worked out before you'd arrived it wouldn't NEED to stick due to trail and error. It would stick because it had been so well worked out.

The HGMA glider certification standards were worked out in 1976 before I arrived and the reason they stick is because they clearly define minimum acceptable strength, stability, performance, control standards. And we know EXACTLY what we're getting with them - an aircraft that can be flown safely in any halfway sane meteorological conditions. And that's prone, BOTH hands on the CONTROL BAR, trimmed with the control bar under your nose. It flunks the trails, it doesn't get the stamp.

Do some moronic Flight Park Mafia bullshit like:

it's a total no-brainer what's gonna happen when one encounters some of the less user friendly real world conditions we know we're gonna see from time to time. Decide you're too cool a dude to need to worry about trimming your glider in anything remotely near compliance with HGMA standards, expect to play a big price every now and then.
THIS:

Is this a joke ?
Bart Weghorst - 2011/08/28 20:29:27 UTC

Now I don't give a shit about breaking strength anymore. I really don't care what the numbers are. I just want my weaklink to break every once in a while.
is where we are now and is as advanced as the sport will ever get on the issue.

Sailplanes use manufacturer specs to protect their aircraft against overloading and hang gliders don't give shits about breaking strengths or numbers anymore - they just want their weak links to break every once in a while. And:

- Six times in a row in light morning conditions qualifies as "every once in a while.

- After qualifying for AT ratings they need to attend clinics from Cowboy Up, Wallaby, Quest, Florida Ridge, Lockout, Cloud 9, Ridgely to adequately understand the concept of a weak link that breaks every once in a while and determine what flavor of fishing line is best for attaining this sweet spot.

- Little girl gliders are, of course, good continuing to use weak links for which the definition of "every once in a while" is synonymous with...

02-00820c
http://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7252/27169646315_9af9a62298_o.png

..."never" - since we all play by the same rules or we don't play.

At 2018/09/15 05:23:24 UTC Bart was obviously still good with his 2011/08/28 20:29:27 UTC AT weak link concept referenced by Seahawk and the worlds largest hang gliding community is also obviously still good with it 'cause there's been no further comment from anyone in over three weeks now.

http://www.questairforce.com/aero.html
Aerotow FAQ
Weak Link

The strength of the weak link is crucial to a safe tow.
Yeah guys, you want it to break every once in a while. I can't stress enough how crucial it is that it does that. And if it breaks six times in a row in light morning conditions go ahead and double it to start working on a brand new track record. Just make sure to tell your 914 Dragonfly pilot if you do that - so's he can compensate of the increased risk by using full power to blast you quickly and safely away from the surface and up through the kill zone.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/skysailingtowing/message/4633
Weaklinks and aerotowing (ONLY)
Steve Kroop - 2005/02/10 04:50:59 UTC

To: Davis Straub; Tow Group
Cc: Rohan Holtkamp; Paris Williams

Davis,

Your weak link comments are dead on. I have been reading the weak link discussion in the OR with quiet amusement. Quiet, because weak links seem to be one of those hot button issues that brings out the argumentative nature of HG pilots and also invokes the "not designed here" mentality and I really did not want to get drawn into a debate. Amusement, because I find it odd that there was so much ink devoted to reinventing the wheel. Collectively I would say that there have been well over a 100,000 tows in the various US flight parks using the same strength weak link with tens of thousands of these tows being in competition. Yes I know some of these have been with strong links but only the best of the best aerotow pilots are doing this.

You are completely correct about weak links and lockouts. If I can beat the horse a little more: Weak links are there to protect the equipment not the glider pilot. Anyone who believes otherwise is setting them selves up for disaster. The pilot activating his or her releases is their way to save themselves. A perfect analogy is the circuit breaker in your home, it is there to protect the wire not what you plug into the wall socket. If anyone does not believe me they can plug their car retrieve 2-way radio into the wall socket and watch it go up in flames with the circuit breaker cumfortably remaining in the on position (I hope no one really tries this ;-).

A discussion of the strength of weak links is incomplete without a discussion of the tow bridal. I hear (read) strengths quoted with respect to the combined pilot and glider weight yet this is meaningless info with out knowing what bridal configuration is used and where it is placed in the bridal system. For example, a 200# weak link can allow between 200# and 800# of towline force depending on where it is placed within the various popular bridal configurations.

On the tow plane we use 1-1/2 loops (3 strands) of 130# line. The weak link is placed in the top of a V-bridal which would yield a maximum nominal towline tension of around 780#. However, due to the fact the knots (two are required since there are three strands) are not "buried" the maximum towline tension is greatly reduced. I do not know the exact tow line tension required to break this weak link but the value is somewhat moot since the weak link is not too strong so as to cause any damage to the tow plane and it is not too weak to leave the glider pilot with the towline.

Summary

Do not attempt to aerotow unless you have received proper training
Do not attend an aerotow comp if you do not have considerable experience flying a comp class glider in comp class conditions
Weak links are there to protect the equipment
Weak links do NOT prevent lockouts and no amount of weak link rules will prevent lock outs
In the event of a lock out releases are there to save the pilot

Best regards, Steve - Flytec USA

#1 instruments in the world for Hang Gliding, Paragliding and Ballooning
800-662-2449 (inside the US)
+352-429-8600 (outside the US)
+352-429-8611 (fax)
http://www.flytec.com
Your weak link comments are dead on.
What are they nowadays, Steve? Not long after the 2013/02/02 fatal inconvenience stall and tumble at Quest Davis and many of us suddenly became happy with a slightly stronger weak link and he stopped telling us what an appropriate weak link would be under the rules of his pecker measuring contests. So if his comments were dead-on eight years prior (right after Robin Strid's Tad-O-Link failed to succeed when it was supposed to - "before the pressure of the towline could reach a level that would compromise the handling of the glider" (in the immortal words of your base of operations) - and killed him and critically endangered Bobby Fucking-Genius Bailey...

http://ozreport.com/9.008
2005 Worlds
Davis Straub - 2005/01/10

As he took off his left wing was dragging. Bobby Bailey, the best tow pilot in the business, moved to the right into get further into the wind, and Rob got his left wing up and flying as he lined up behind Bobby.
...the best tow pilot in the business) they're obviously slightly off of dead-on now.
I have been reading the weak link discussion in the OR with quiet amusement.
So how come you're just sending this to Davis to post on The Peter Show (and ccing to Rohan Holtkamp and Paris Williams) and not posting this on the weak link discussion in the OR with quiet amusement? 'Cause the OR is publicly viewable and Peter's sleazy little dump isn't?
Quiet, because weak links seem to be one of those hot button issues that brings out the argumentative nature of HG pilots...
- UPPITY HG pilots.

- Oh. The argumentative nature of HG pilots... Let's work hard and find some aspect of hang gliding that isn't a total load o' shit.

- How 'bout foot launching on a shallow slope in iffy air? Does anybody ARGUE that you SHOULDN'T hold your pitch down to a low angle of attack, run like hell, power the glider to the maximum extent physically possible, ease up on the pitch until your feet leave the ground?

- Or:

http://ozreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9230
Departing the launch cart
Jim Rooney - 2007/09/01 02:39:53 UTC

Which brings us to the reason to have a 914 in the first place... you need one.
Something made you get a 914 instead of a 582. 914s are horribly expensive to own and maintain. If you own one, you need it... it's a safety thing. Short runways, tall trees, whatever. You've got a 914 to increase your safety margin.
Show me an argument contrary to that one. Which is actually identical to the previous one. Anybody standing in line to trade his 914 in for a 582 so's he can floor it and still be using and delivering safer lower thrust?

- Another example...

Poll on weaklinks
Jim Rooney - 2013/03/04 19:31:36 UTC

The accepted standards and practices changed.
Morningside decided that they were happy with 200lb weaklink.
Quote me one single motherfucker breathing a single word to the effect that Jeff Bohl - one of the best of the best of the best (got an annual XC event named in his memory ferchrisake (speaking again of Cowboy Up)) - might have walked away smelling like a rose if only he hadn't been using a Tad-O-Link to protect his equipment.

Somebody name me a topic that's LESS likely to bring out the argumentative nature of HG pilots these days. That Ponzi scheme isn't even dust lightly drifting away from the rubble of the collapse anymore. And all the motherfuckers who propped it up and aided and abetted for all those decades treat it like plutonium now 'cause they all know they can and will be quoted.

So maybe you just get arguments when the mainstreamers are totally full o' shit - which is damn near everything in this total shit-hole of a flavor of aviation.

- You're a hang glider pilot, right? How come YOU don't have enough of an argumentative nature to engage in any public discussions and help get this critical issue properly sorted out?
...and also invokes the "not designed here" mentality...
Right Steve. A one-size-fits-all loop of 130 pound test fishing line hooked onto one end of a pro toad bridle was something that was DESIGNED somewhere. That's the upper limit of the engineering capacity of you Flight Park Mafia dickheads. And...

ImageImageImageImage

...you're not even capable of getting that much right.
...and I really did not want to get drawn into a debate.
- HG pilots don't seem to have such an argumentative nature nowadays. Did you see how long this one:

http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=36170
Weak Links?

lasted?

- I can certainly understand why a semiliterate Industry douchebag such as yourself wouldn't wanna get drawn into any debates with any of us clueless muppets. Best continue confining yourself to closed-to-the-public inbred little dumps like The Peter Show in which the opposition will be silenced whenever things start getting out of hand.

- Fuck anybody who actually knows what the hell he's talking about on critical black and white safety issues and doesn't wanna get drawn into debates. That's another way of saying Flight Park Mafia students and victims are getting crashed and killed due to general cultural incompetence and you don't really give a rat's ass.
Amusement, because I find it odd that there was so much ink devoted to reinventing the wheel.
Must've finally run outta ink. 'Cause for some years now you can't find shit about what shape wheel people are currently using and what it's supposed to be doing for them.

Lemme tell ya EXACTLY how your wheel was invented, motherfucker. It had absolutely NOTHING to do with protecting any equipment and was TOTALLY for the purpose of preventing the glider from being able to climb out at a high enough pitch attitude to permit a stall WHEN the one G focal point of its safe towing system succeeded. You'd need to multiply that tow force by about seven before you'd need to start to worry about a threat to the "EQUIPMENT". That wheel was the most indescribably moronic innovation ever to find its way into any flavor of aviation. And it needed the fertile soil of hang glider cultural incompetence and stupidity to take root and thrive.
Collectively I would say that there have been well over a 100,000 tows in the various US flight parks using the same strength weak link with tens of thousands of these tows being in competition.
- Wow! That's a really long track record! People doing the same thing over and over again continually expecting optimal results - the fishing line preventing one from getting into too much trouble. Really hard to beat it.

- The same strength weak link? A few months back the FAA expanded its AT weak link regs to cover hang gliders. They specify weak links in proportion to the glider's max certified operating weight. But we're still doing one-size-fits-all Davis Links without protesting this clueless regulatory intrusion? How come?

- Since then two professional pilots have been killed launching at Quest - one whose Standard Aerotow Weak Link increased the safety of the towing operation and another whose Tad-O-Link failed to succeed when it was supposed to. Any comment on either? Didn't think so.
Yes I know some of these have been with strong links...
A strong link? What's that? I'm guessing...

http://ozreport.com/3.066
Weaklinks
Davis Straub - 1999/06/06

During the US Nationals I wrote a bit about weaklinks and the gag weaklinks that someone tied at Quest Air. A few days after I wrote about them, Bobby Bailey, designer and builder of the Bailey-Moyes Dragon Fly tug, approached me visibly upset about what I and James Freeman had written about weaklinks. He was especially upset that I had written that I had doubled my weaklink after three weaklinks in a row had broken on me.
http://ozreport.com/9.032
The Worlds - weaklinks
Davis Straub - 2005/02/07

For a couple of years I have flown with a doubled weaklink because, flying with a rigid wing glider, I have found that there is little reason to expect trouble on tow, except from a weaklink break.
Is this a joke ?
Davis Straub - 2011/08/26 14:04:52 UTC

We had six weaklink breaks in a row at Zapata this year. Russell Brown (tug pilot, tug owner, Quest Air owner) said go ahead and double up (four strands of Cortland Greenspot). He knows I used his Zapata weaklink in Big Spring (pilots were asked to tell the tug pilot if they were doing that).
...a doubled loop of 130. 'Specially since you're talking to Davis and he's so very obviously one of the best of the best and his comments are always so dead on.

So how come you're so studiously not saying anything about strong link strengths or tandem gliders - motherfucker?
...but only the best of the best aerotow pilots are doing this.
- What about tandem rides? Aren't they using exactly what the best of the best solo guys are? You know goddam well they are.

Aerotow FAQ
Weak Link

Most flight parks use 130 lb. braided Dacron line, so that one loop (which is the equivalent to two strands) is about 260 lb. strong - about the average wing load of a single pilot on a typical glider. For tandems, either two loops (four strands) of the same line or one loop of a stronger line is usually used to compensate for nearly twice the wing loading.

That was up from the beginning of time until around late last decade when you assholes started figuring out that this clueless bullshit was a major liability to you.

- Really? I thought you said:
Weak links do NOT prevent lockouts and no amount of weak link rules will prevent lock outs
So do the best of the best pilots need less equipment protection? They're willing to accept more equipment damage? And what's the tradeoff? They're using heavier and draggier weak links so their climbs are gonna be slower and they'll be carrying extra weight for the durations of their free flights. I'm not understanding what the logic is here.

Are the best of the best pilots also using smaller parachutes and lighter helmets with less shock absorption capacity? If not then there's something seriously wrong with this picture.

Ya know who needs less equipment protection? The larger gliders. 'Cause smaller gliders - being constructed from the same strength/diameter tubing, wires, hardware but of lesser square footage and carrying lighter pilots - are proportionally stronger than larger gliders of the same models. So is anyone actually implementing that flavor of scaling?

- So you're obviously doing the third person plural thing with respect to the best of the best. Meaning you're just another Standard Aerotow Weak Linking muppet. So how come we're not hearing from any of the rockstars who fly the strong links? How come they're not posting videos illustrating the techniques they've learned to be able to safely fly the Tad-O-Links, running Tad-O-Link seminars to bring us muppets up to speed, getting a Tad-O-Link Special Skill signoff established for the Pilot Proficiency Program so's a Tad-O-Linker from Quest can show up at Whitewater and be good to go without having to waste valuable time convincing his tug driver of his rockstar status?

- Only the best of the best aerotow pilots are doing this...

http://www.chgpa.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2467
weak links
Jim Rooney - 2007/07/22 22:30:28 UTC

I've heard it a million times before from comp pilots insisting on towing with even doubled up weaklinks (some want no weaklink). I tell them the same thing I'm telling you... suck it up. You're not the only one on the line. I didn't ask to be a test pilot. I can live with your inconvenience.
Sounds to me like a million comp pilots consider themselves to be the best of the best. And nobody's arguing - despite the argumentative nature of HG pilots - otherwise. Pro toad bridles, state of the art bladewings with sprogs set as low as they can get away with, wheel-less basetubes, racing harnesses which...

http://ozreport.com/13.238
Adam Parer on his tuck and tumble
Adam Parer - 2009/11/25

Due to the rough conditions weak links were breaking just about every other tow and the two tugs worked hard to eventually get everyone off the ground successfully.
...jam parachute deployment after tumbles... So how come they're not being permitted to fly with equipment commensurate with their masterful skill levels?

Safety of the tug driver? The best of the best comp pilots can't control their solo wings as well as the crappiest tandem thrill ride driver on the planet using the exact same strong link?
You are completely correct about weak links and lockouts.
Which is really amazing - seeing as how for a decade or so the motherfucker was dictating the one-size-fits-all Standard Aerotow Weak Link for all competitors, regardless of glider, flying weight, bridle configuration, skill level with no clue as to its actual breaking strength.

So how 'bout here?:

Poll on weaklinks
Davis Straub - 2013/03/06 18:29:05 UTC

You know, after all this discussion I'm now convinced that it is a very good idea to treat the weaklink as a release, that that is exactly what we do when we have a weaklink on one side of a pro tow bridle. That that is exactly what has happened to me in a number of situations and that the whole business about a weaklink only for the glider not breaking isn't really the case nor a good idea for hang gliding.

I'm happy to have a relatively weak weaklink, and have never had a serious problem with the Greenspot 130, just an inconvenience now and then.
Doesn't sound like he's so completely right about weak links after racking up another eight years worth of comp flying and risk mitigation plan writing. Sounds more like he's constantly trying to figure out which way the cultural wind will be blowing and position himself accordingly.
If I can beat the horse a little more:
Oh ferchrisake, Steve. This horse has been BEATEN TO DEATH ten times over. We know what we're doing and have a track record of collectively, I'd say, well over a hundred thousand tows in the various US flight parks using the same strength weak link - with tens of thousands of those having been in competition. Yes, I know some of these have been with strong links but only the best of the best aerotow pilots are doing this.

And just watch what happens when you put some low time Three muppet up on a strong link - if you're having trouble understanding why. Right off the cart he starts oscillating all over the place and refuses to release because he thinks he can fix a bad thing and doesn't wanna start over. And the tug driver doesn't fix whatever's going on back there by giving him the rope 'cause he's too busy trying to keep his plane from piling in to make the easy reach to his release. And the tug weak link won't function with a stronger one on the back end. The results are never pretty.
Weak links are there to protect the equipment not the glider pilot.
- Don't you mean the EQUIPMENT pilot? That's the only thing we hear about that's being protected by the weak link in this post. "Glider" pilot is far too restrictive a term because the weak link is also protecting the backup loop, harness, parachute, release, instrument deck, radio, hook knife... Anything solid that goes up behind the tug that doesn't have a pulse.

Asterisk. Well, 'cept for a tandem student. They never touch the control bar and serve only as ballast and thus full under the category of equipment - which the weak link, under the clearly stated terms of the contract, is required to protect.

- Well good. 'Cause if they were there to protect the glider pilot then the best of the best glider pilots would be less well protected than the crappy muppet jobs like T** at K*** S******. That would be totally insane - the polar opposite of natural selection / the Darwinian evolutionary progression.

- Bullshit. The goddam pilot's a component of the glider - 'specially a hang glider. He's the EQUIPMENT that keeps it under control and he's about a thousand times more expensive than the rest of the equipment put together. If he breaks his fuckin' arm that's multiple times the expense of all the other equipment put together. It's virtually impossible to protect one without protecting the other and statements like:
Weak links are there to protect the equipment not the glider pilot.
are pure unadulterated bullshit and the people who make them are filled to the brim with same. There's nothing that's a component of a properly designed sport aircraft or towing system - wings, wires, wheels, skids, helmets, parachutes, tugs, towlines, bridles, releases, weak links, instruments - that isn't there for the protection and safety of planes and pilots. Name anything and I can give you a scenario in which it will:
-- save your ass and/or glider
-- be of zero relevance
-- kill your ass and/or glider

Wheels have kept a lot of necks from being broken; will be of zero use in keeping your brain from being mushed if you select a wheat field as your landing option; can, if they're not lockable, be real problematic if you get caught by a wind surge alone on a launch ramp. (Ask Steve Kinsley about that last one.)

Weak links, 'specially the Infallible kind, have defused low level lockouts and prevented overload situations, ALWAYS on gliders equipped with Reliable Releases; been causes of inconvenience at launch (not to mention forever lost prime flying days); stalled and killed gliders fighting for control at up to a couple hundred feet.
Anyone who believes otherwise is setting them selves up for disaster.
- Semiliterate u$hPa / Flight Park Mafia operative total douchebag.

- OH! So then everybody not using a Tad-O-Link, the south-of-the-best-of-the-best muppet 99.8 percent who are using these Standard Aerotow Weak Links that will blow six times in a row in light morning conditions, are setting themselves up for disaster!

- So how many of these disasters manifest themselves in the course of an average flying season and what responses do we typically get from u$hPa, the Flight Park Mafia, the FAA?

- How 'bout the total fucking douchebags like your dear friend, Jim Keen-Intellect Rooney?

Is this a joke ?
Jim Rooney - 2011/08/26 02:44:10 UTC

Zach, you can nit pick all you like, but I'll put a 100,000+ flight record over your complaints any day of the week.

Let me see if I can clear up a few things for ya.
A lot of this I sent to Steve btw...

The "purpose" of a weaklink is not in question. Your semantics are.
The "purpose" of a weaklink is to increase the safety of the towing operation. PERIOD.

There are many ways in which it accomplishes this.
You're nit picking over what you call the "true purpose"... but all you're griping about is a definition... and an erroneous one at that.

Again, The weak link increases the safety of the tow.

Now, how it does this also provides a telling answer to one of the most hot button topics surrounding weak links... lockouts.
People will rail up and down that weaklinks do not protect against lockouts... which they don't.
But this is a half truth.

The whole truth is that while they don't prevent them, they help.
Aren't they ALSO setting the equipment pilots up for disaster? Maybe you can provide us with a list of u$hPa certified AT instructors, flight park operators, tug pilots who AREN'T setting the equipment pilots up for disaster.
The pilot activating his or her releases is their way to save themselves.
- And only the best of the best understand this concept. It's the muppets who always think they can fix bad things and don't wanna start over. That's why they need better equipment protection. But they still don't understand that while the equipment will come through totally unscathed they themselves will be lucky to come off with long hospital stays. This is due to the differences in the protection capabilities of the relevant safety devices.

- What if its a reliable easy reachable release with no load capacity? Doesn't the pilot cease being a pilot the millisecond he takes his hand off the control bar? Is it possible for a situation to exist in which the pilot will die if he:
-- remains on tow
-- stops flying the glider to separate themselves from tow

Heads I win, tails you lose?

Which option would you recommend in such a situation? What are the best of the best...

http://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7077/27082298482_cda1aba01b_o.png

...usually doing in these situations?

- Won't the tug pilot...

weak links
Jim Rooney - 2007/08/01 13:47:23 UTC

Whatever's going on back there, I can fix it by giving you the rope.
...fix whatever's going on back there by giving us the rope? Hasn't he already done it by this point? Or...

09-20
http://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5315/29962431842_1b260f7a81_o.png

...maybe we shouldn't be putting as much faith in him as he's assuring us we can. Any thoughts? (Funny you're not mentioning anything along this line.)
A perfect analogy is the circuit breaker in your home, it is there to protect the wire not what you plug into the wall socket. If anyone does not believe me they can plug their car retrieve 2-way radio into the wall socket and watch it go up in flames with the circuit breaker cumfortably remaining in the on position...
Wow! I never thought of it that way before, Steve! That's a really useful perfect analogy! Really clears things up for me on this weak link issue. So I guess only the best of the best can plug their car retrieve 2-way radios into the wall sockets and NOT watch them go up in flames with the circuit breakers cumfortably remaining in the on position.
(I hope no one really tries this ;-).
'Cept for the best of the best, of course. I so do admire they way they remain so cumfortable while using safety devices which would kill us mere mortals in a nanosecond.
A discussion of the strength of weak links is incomplete without a discussion of the tow bridal. I hear (read)...
I'm assuming that your reading level sucks as much as your writing level.
...strengths quoted with respect to the combined pilot and glider weight yet this is meaningless info with out knowing what bridal configuration is used and where it is placed in the bridal system.
Oh good. Some Flight Park Mafia asshole who thinks that "without" is two words and can't even spell "bridle" is gonna tell us muppets all about the various bridle / weak link configurations.
For example, a 200# weak link can allow between 200# and 800# of towline force depending on where it is placed within the various popular bridal configurations.
- Also... If you use weak links on BOTH ends of a bridAl at Quest or Florida Ridge it doubles the tension required to blow off tow.

- Various popular bridal configurations...

-- Can you tell us which ones tend to be the most popular and why?

-- I guess they all trim the glider equally well...

http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=22233
Looking for pro-tow release
Davis Straub - 2011/06/16 05:11:44 UTC

Incorrect understanding.
Otherwise you'd certainly be bringing this issue up in order to complete the discussion.

- No it can't. The only way it can limit the towline tension to 200 is if it's on the end of the towline in front of one of the various popular bridal configurations. And nobody configures that way anyway.

- Ignoring the issue of increase in weak link loading with increase in two point bridle apex angle - which all you assholes do anyway - you could only get 800 by installing the 200 on an end of the secondary bridle. Which nobody, even in hang gliding, has ever been stupid enough to do.

- At Quest and Florida Ridge flying two point with two hundreds installed on both ends of the secondary and the top end of the primary you could get up to 1800. Hell, let's stick another one on between the end of the towline and the tow ring and bring it up to an even two thousand. And this would override the crap outta what's on the tug and either prevent the equipment from getting airborne at all or kill it instantly. Nobody's really sure which.

- Note that:

-- none of the various popular bridal configurations this asshole's talking about include a secondary weak link anywhere so the only reliable weak link they have is the towline.

-- while untold thousands of tug drivers have refused to pull solos with anything over a 130 on a back end bridle end due to the insane risk that would pose to the tug not one of them has ever required configurations in which reliable weak link protection...

http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=14230
pro tow set-up
Jim Rooney - 2009/11/02 18:58:13 UTC

Oh it happens.
I have, all the guys I work with have.
(Our average is 1 in 1,000 tows)

Oh yeah... an other fun fact for ya... ya know when it's far more likely to happen? During a lockout. When we're doing lockout training, the odds go from 1 in 1,000 to over 50/50.
...actually exists...
Towing Aloft - 1998/01

I witnessed a tug pilot descend low over trees. His towline hit the trees and caught. His weak link broke but the bridle whipped around the towline and held it fast. The pilot was saved by the fact that the towline broke!
...anywhere.
On the tow plane we use 1-1/2 loops (3 strands) of 130# line.
Yeah? I thought you were using...

Flytec Dragonfly
USAFlytec - 2001/07/14

Steve Kroop - Russell Brown - Bob Lane - Jim Prahl - Campbell Bowen

The tail section of the Dragonfly is designed so that it can accept in-line as well as lateral loads. Furthermore the mast extension, which is part of the tow system, is designed to break away in the event of excessive in-line or lateral loads. The force required to cause a breakaway is roughly equivalent to the force required to break the double weaklink used on the tail bridle. More simply put, the mast would break away long before any structural damage to the aircraft would occur.
...a double loop (4 strands) of 130# line. What happened? Did you fuckin' dickheads finally figure out that if you make the tow mast and tug end and best of the best solo glider weak links all the same strength then a third of the times the:
- tug will fly away with the towline and a severely stressed tow mast
- glider will fly away with the towline and the tug will fly away:
-- with a severely stressed tow mast
-- minus its tow mast

So now you've fixed the problem such that:
- your breakaway tow mast is better protected
- a muppet leaves you with the towline
- the best of the best and your tandem rides fly away with the towline
The weak link is placed in the top of a V-bridal which would yield a maximum nominal towline tension...
- Oh, the NOMINAL towline tension. "Nominal" essentially meaning something some douchebag pulled outta his ass and posted as having some degree of legitimacy.

- I think we just found the origin of all this "de jure" "de facto" "nominal" "actual" crap from Dr. Trisa Tilletti.
...of around 780#. However, due to the fact the knots (two are required since there are three strands)...
And at Quest and Florida Ridge two knots weaken the weak link twice as much as one would. (But you can cancel that issue out with an identical weak link on the other end of the bridle.)
...are not "buried" the maximum towline tension is greatly reduced.
Well, really hard to go wrong reducing maximum towline tension.
I do not know the exact tow line tension required to break this weak link but the value is somewhat moot since the weak link is not too strong so as to cause any damage to the tow plane and it is not too weak to leave the glider pilot with the towline.
'Cept for the best of the best flying the strong links you mention and the tandem guys flying the same strong links you don't mention. But that sure is good enough for a muppet such as myself.

Funny it wasn't good enough for Quest back when they wrote:

Aerotow FAQ
Weak Link

A good rule of thumb for the optimum strength is one G, or in other words, equal to the total wing load of the glider. Most flight parks use 130 lb. braided Dacron line, so that one loop (which is the equivalent to two strands) is about 260 lb. strong - about the average wing load of a single pilot on a typical glider. For tandems, either two loops (four strands) of the same line or one loop of a stronger line is usually used to compensate for nearly twice the wing loading.
But I guess when you've racked up as much trail and error track record as they have things just naturally evolve towards superior operating standards.

By the way... Exactly when did the advisory that you assholes were switching from four to three strand go out to all us AT rated muppets?

Weak link question
Jim Rooney - 2008/11/24 18:54:27 UTC

I'm confused. I never said the tug's ass was endangered. That's why we use 3strand at the tug's end. Using 4 strand can rip things off (it's happened). When forces are achieved that do break a 3 strand, your tail gets yanked around very hard, which does have implications as to the flight characteristics and flightpath. AKA, I have no desire to allow you to have the ability to have that effect on me when I tow you... esp near the ground.
Jim Rooney - 2008/11/24 23:38:01 UTC

It's not "uncharted territory"... you're just not aware of what's been done. Just as you weren't aware of the reason for 3 strand links on the tug.
I was flying regularly at Ridgely through that transition period and none of those motherfuckers ever advised me of shit. Maybe you can give me a link to something on u$hPa or The Davis Show.
Summary

Do not attempt to aerotow unless you have received proper training
- And you'll obviously get proper training anywhere an AT operation is up and running.

- If proper training is available anywhere then how come you've gotta explain to us that a weak link is just like the circuit breaker in your home - it's there to protect the wire not what you plug into the wall socket?
Do not attend an aerotow comp if you do not have considerable experience flying a comp class glider in comp class conditions
And remember that only the best of the best are flying strong links. And you can now become one of the best of the best by...

Is this a joke ?

We had six weaklink breaks in a row at Zapata this year. Russell Brown (tug pilot, tug owner, Quest Air owner) said go ahead and double up (four strands of Cortland Greenspot). He knows I used his Zapata weaklink in Big Spring (pilots were asked to tell the tug pilot if they were doing that).
...telling the tug pilot that you are.
Extremely well. There's not a single account of any equipment being destroyed...

http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=21033
barrels release without any tension except weight of rope..
Bart Weghorst - 2011/02/25 19:06:26 UTC

But I've had it once where the pin had bent inside the barrel from excessive tow force. My weaklink was still intact. The tug pilot's weaklink broke so I had the rope. I had to use two hands to get the pin out of the barrel.
No stress because I was high.
...when protected by an Industry Standard aerotow weak link at any top notch operation.
Sure didn't for Jeff Bohl, one of the best of the best, on 2016/05/21. Neither did his pro toad bridle, easily reachable release, or tug driver. But his equipment was extremely well protected all the way down to impact.
In the event of a lock out releases are there to save the pilot
If only people would understand that and use them instead of thinking they can fix bad things 'cause the don't wanna start over.
Best regards, Steve - Flytec USA
Suck my dick Steve - Flytec USA.

Is this a joke ?
Jim Rooney - 2011/08/25 04:55:25 UTC

Ditto dude.

It always amazes to hear know it all pilots arguing with the professional pilots.
I mean seriously, this is our job.
We do more tows in a day than they do in a month (year for most).

We *might* have an idea of how this stuff works.
They *might* do well to listen.
Not that they will, mind you... cuz they *know*.

I mean seriously... ridgerodent's going to inform me as to what Kroop has to say on this? Seriously? Steve's a good friend of mine. I've worked at Quest with him. We've had this discussion ... IN PERSON. And many other ones that get misunderstood by the general public. It's laughable.

Don't even get me started on Tad. That obnoxious blow hard has gotten himself banned from every flying site that he used to visit... he doesn't fly anymore... because he has no where to fly. His theories were annoying at best and downright dangerous most of the time. Good riddance.
A decade plus a week since my last flight as a hang glider pilot. Back then and through a fair chunk of Kite Strings history I thought/hoped that if/when this Standard Aerotow Weak Link bullshit Ponzi scheme collapsed the reputations of untold scores of perpetrators would be destroyed. That's happened to a fair extent. But I was also envisioning that they'd suffer fates along the lines of what Bill Cosby recently has - and that I get some sorta public apology. Nah.

Most of these motherfuckers are still around, many have gone extinct. Standard Aerotow Weak Links have been kept in circulation to prop up the pretenses that we've always known what we've been doing. But we don't publicly acknowledge them - or any other flavor of AT weak link. Nobody's ever heard of Donnell Hewett, Dennis Pagen, Dr. Trisa Tilletti, Jim Rooney, Zack Marzec, Lauren Tjaden, T** at K*** S******, Kite Strings itself, locked topics all over the fuckin' internet. Good model for how natural selection works for parasites.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

Interesting little timeline thing here...

http://ozreport.com/3.066
Weaklinks

During the US Nationals I wrote a bit about weaklinks and the gag weaklinks that someone tied at Quest Air. A few days after I wrote about them, Bobby Bailey, designer and builder of the Bailey-Moyes Dragon Fly tug, approached me visibly upset about what I and James Freeman had written about weaklinks. He was especially upset that I had written that I had doubled my weaklink after three weaklinks in a row had broken on me.

I told him that I would be happy to publish anything that he wrote about weaklinks, but I never received anything from him or anyone else at Quest.

A few weeks later I was speaking with Rhett Radford at Wallaby Ranch about weaklinks and the issue of more powerful engines, and he felt that stronger weaklinks (unlike those used at Wallaby or Quest) were needed. He suggested between 5 and 10 pounds of additional breaking strength.

To compensate for the greater power of the 619 engine that Rhett has on his tug, he deliberately flew it at less than full power when taking off or in anything other than absolutely smooth conditions. He started doing this after he noticed that pilots towing behind his more powerful tug were experiencing increased weaklink breakage.

A number of the pilots at the US Nationals were using "strong links" after they became fed up with the problems there.
These "strong links" were made with paraglider line and were meant to fool the ground crew into thinking that the pilot had a weaklink.
2001 Flytec World Record Encampment
Davis Straub - 2001/07/14

I couldn't help but put in this photo after David Glover encouraged me.

http://ozreport.com/pub/davisandbotogether.jpg
http://ozreport.com/9.032
The Worlds - weaklinks

For a couple of years I have flown with a doubled weaklink because, flying with a rigid wing glider, I have found that there is little reason to expect trouble on tow, except from a weaklink break.
weak links
Jim Rooney - 2007/07/22 22:30:28 UTC

I've heard it a million times before from comp pilots insisting on towing with even doubled up weaklinks (some want no weaklink). I tell them the same thing I'm telling you... suck it up. You're not the only one on the line. I didn't ask to be a test pilot. I can live with your inconvenience.

I don't tow solos under full power... you could't keep up with me if I did. I wouldn't be going faster horizontally, but my acceleration and climb rate would be so extreme that most pilots couldn't keep up the timing needed to make it work. (I think Bo's the only one I've successfully towed at full boost)

Something made you get a 914 instead of a 582. 914s are horribly expensive to own and maintain. If you own one, you need it... it's a safety thing. Short runways, tall trees, whatever. You've got a 914 to increase your safety margin. So when it comes down to my safety or having a conversation, we're going to have a conversation. Wether you chose to adjust is then up to you.
Weak link question
Jim Rooney - 2008/11/22 22:31:35 UTC

The simple fact is this. The only reason anyone even gives Tad the time of day is that they want to believe him. Why? Because they don't like to be inconvenienced by a weaklink break. That's it.

Sure, everyone digs around for other reasons to believe, but at the heart of it, it's convenience.
No one is actually scared to fly with a standard weaklink. They may say they are, but deep down inside, they're not.

Tad loves to speak of himself as a scientifically minded person. Yet he ignores a data pool that is at minimum three orders of magnitude higher than his. It is thus that I ignore him.
http://www.chgpa.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3661
Flying the 914 Dragonfly
Jim Rooney - 2008/12/06 20:01:49 UTC

You will only ever need full throttle for the first fifty feet of a tandem tow. Don't ever pull a solo at full throttle... they will not be able to climb with you. You can tow them at 28 mph and you'll still leave them in the dust... they just won't be able to climb with you... weak links will go left and right.
Towing question

PS... you got to be careful mentioning weak link strengths around the forum, it can spark a civil war ;-)
Is this a joke ?

I have had a 582 Dragonfly with a 200 pound pilot in it pretty much suspended vertically from my Northwing T2. Tiki was my passenger. This situation lasted so long that the tug pilot (Neil Harris) had enough time to idle all the way back while looking straight at the ground. This was while practicing slow lockouts at altitude. On other occasions, the same weaklink broke for no apparent reason.
Now I don't give a shit about breaking strength anymore. I really don't care what the numbers are. I just want my weaklink to break every once in a while.

If tandem operators think that, practically, a 520 lb. double loop weak link is too much for a tandem, it is way too much for a solo pilot.
Poll on weaklinks
Jim Rooney - 2013/03/04 19:31:36 UTC

The accepted standards and practices changed.
Morningside decided that they were happy with 200lb weaklink.
Jim Rooney - 2013/03/05 21:40:02 UTC

You want to break off the towline? Push out... push out hard... it will break.
As others have pointed out, they've used this fact intentionally to get off tow. It works.

You want MORE.
I want you to have less.
This is the fundamental disagreement.
You're afraid of breaking off with a high AOA? Good... tow with a WEAKER weaklink... you won't be able to achieve a high AOA. Problem solved.

I'm sorry that you don't like that the tug pilot has the last word... but tough titties.

Don't like it?
Don't ask me to tow you.

Go troll somewhere else buddy.
I'm over this.
http://ozreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=30971
Zach Marzec
Jim Rooney - 2013/03/07 18:24:58 UTC

You're the one advocating change here, not me.
I'm fine.

These are only questions if you're advocating change. Which I'm not. You are.

You're the one speculating on Zack's death... not me.
Hell, you've even already come to your conclusions... you've made up your mind and you "know" what happened and what to do about.
It's disgusting and you need to stop.
You weren't there. You don't know.
All you have is the tug pilot report, who himself says he doesn't know... and HE WAS THERE... and he doesn't know.

Ever heard of "Confirmation Bias"?
Because you're a textbook example.
You were out looking for data to support your preconceived conclusion, rather than looking at the data and seeing what it tells you... which is why this is the first time we've heard from you and your gang.

Go back to Tad's hole in the ground.
While you're there, ask him why he was banned from every east coast flying site.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_sUcPYeKkdI
Gecko Girl
09-20
http://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5315/29962431842_1b260f7a81_o.png

http://ozreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=49837
Jim Rooney tandem paraglider incident in New Zealand
Jim Rooney - 2016/10/01 05:55:48 UTC

Up from surgery... Plates on L2 while it heals, will come out after. Feeling good.
I won't comment on my crash just yet. Maybe after the CAA investigation.

Just posting here too let people know that I'm doing well.

I told him that I would be happy to publish anything that he wrote about weaklinks, but I never received anything from him or anyone else at Quest.
Well, Bobby's a fucking genius when it comes to this shit and fucking geniuses virtually never publish anything about anything. If they did then just about anybody could become a fucking genius when it came to that shit and where would that leave the original fucking geniuses?

And nobody else at Quest is a fucking genius when it comes to this shit 'cause Bobby doesn't wanna bring any of those guys up to speed either - for the exact same reason.
A few weeks later I was speaking with Rhett Radford at Wallaby Ranch about weaklinks and the issue of more powerful engines...
They've started off with the Rotax 582 two-stroke 64 horsepower engine. It's not supplying enough kick to do the job safely and efficiently so they start going to the 914 turbocharged four-stroke with close to twice the horsepower - 115. (Davis's "619" is actually a 914 - but he hasn't been all that good with numbers since all those brain mushings he got in junior high football.) But then they can't use all that expensive extra safety and efficiency power because their 130 pound test fishing line Pilot In Command won't permit them to.

Yeah Rhett. Let's up the permissible tow tension five pounds. Maybe even go nuts and do ten (0.03 Gs for a three hundred pound solo glider). And they never even do either of those. It's another dozen years before Russell tweaks it up a bit. Double it. Trail and error. Now everybody who feels like telling the tug pilot he's doing that becomes a test pilot. Also the tuggies - no telling what could happen when we use the same weak link we've used to pull a zillion tandems on a solo. (Undoubtedly a fair number solos heavier than some of the tandems...

7-14522
http://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5517/14036301121_17849a6a04_o.png

...we've pulled. (Interesting that The Industry has never felt that weightless little five-year-old kids need and deserve the same lockout protection...

http://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7258/13942011055_71692dc927_o.png

...that 200 pound tandem students do when they're going up for their weak link success simulation response training.))

That, now that I think of it, really gives the lie to all this trail and error bullshit. These assholes were all in on the ground floor of this crap. If trail and error had ever been a component of this culture they'd have actually dialed the Standard Aerotow Weak Link up the five or ten pounds Rhett wanted around the end of the first decade's worth of Dragonfly history. (And that post of Davis's was nine days after Highland Aerosports started up at Ridgely.)

Three weak links in a row... Double them up. Six weak links in a row...
Davis Straub - 2011/08/28 15:26:28 UTC

Then again, Russell Brown had us double up behind him after six breaks in a row at Zapata. We couldn't figure out why we had so many breaks so quickly. Maybe just coincidence.
Also double them up. But then try to figure out why we had so many breaks so quickly. My understanding is that when you do the exact same thing over and over again - decade after decade - you should expect different results. So maybe just coincidence.

Doubling them up... Funny they didn't go to three strand - as the rules of trail and error would dictate - isn't it? That's what they did when they found that double loops were too heavy to protect the tow mast the designed to blow at double loop tension. Find me a record of anybody ever doing that - or having supplies of 150, 180 with which to dial up.

Their circumstances and stupidity boxed them into doing something fairly intelligent with no actual intelligence behind the action. If your weak links are blowing at a bit under the towline tension you're trying to deliver then doubling the capacity gets you into a reasonably good capacity. It's what I'd been recommending...

weak links
Tad Eareckson - 2007/05/17 23:03:32 UTC

A 400 pound weak link will keep solo gliders from 250 pounds up within specs and leave tandems no worse off than they are now.
Marc Fink - 2007/05/19 12:58:31 UTC

A 400lb load limit for a solo tow is absurd.
...well over five years before Russell threw in his towel. (And with a Russell Link the knot is well hidden such that a single gets you 520 and a double 1040. How much more absurd can one get?)

Tuggies want all the power they can get. It's a safety thing. Short runways, tall trees, whatever. You've got a 914 to increase your safety margin. And of course the glider's safety margin. Just ask 582 April Smackin Mackin and...

http://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7077/27082298482_cda1aba01b_o.png

...Jeff Bohl if you don't believe me. And NEVER ANYWHERE do we hear anything about the extra power the tuggies wanna use for THEIR safety being the slightest threat to the safety of the glider. ANYBODY who takes off FROM ANYTHING and WITH ANYTHING - conventional fixed wing, chopper, carrier launched fighter, tug, towed glider, foot/slope launched glider - wants all the power he can get to blast him up, out, away from the hard stuff and through the low turbulent crap as quickly as possible.

Somebody quote me a hang glider pilot from ANY flavor of towing - aero, truck, boat, payout, fixed line, stationary winch - saying, "Damn! That was WAY too much power! Sure wish he'd dialed back thirty percent."

I don't tow solos under full power... you could't keep up with me if I did. I wouldn't be going faster horizontally, but my acceleration and climb rate would be so extreme that most pilots couldn't keep up the timing needed to make it work. (I think Bo's the only one I've successfully towed at full boost)

Something made you get a 914 instead of a 582. 914s are horribly expensive to own and maintain. If you own one, you need it... it's a safety thing. Short runways, tall trees, whatever. You've got a 914 to increase your safety margin.
Another way of saying that if you use full boost to clear the trees at the upwind end of your short runway you WILL dump the solo glider into them. See 2008/05/18 / Florida Ridge / Doc Soc as a pretty good real life / near death example of this phenomenon. This is why this little shit is feeding us this crap about Bo Hagewood being the only pilot on the planet with the superhuman abilities to handle all the acceleration, climb rate, timing issues. Sure don't wanna mention anything about the focal point of his safe towing system.

But he doesn't need to. His buddy Steve Kroop...

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/skysailingtowing/message/4633
Weaklinks and aerotowing (ONLY)
Steve Kroop - 2005/02/10 04:50:59 UTC

Yes I know some of these have been with strong links but only the best of the best aerotow pilots are doing this.
...told us what he was using the better part of two and a half years back. Best of the best of the best. Maybe even using four loops.

You will only ever NEED full throttle for the first fifty feet of a tandem tow. Don't ever pull a solo at full throttle... they won't be able to climb with you. You can tow them at 28 mph and you'll still leave them in the dust - with a broken downtube or two. The safety of the towing operation will be increased left and right. The glider may still NEED full throttle for the first fifty feet of a solo tow but he won't be able to use it 'cause the focal point of his safe towing system will dump him back into the gradient, propwash, whatever it was that made full throttle for the first fifty feet a NECESSITY. But don't worry. Once he's piled in due to his crappy towing and landing abilities you'll be able to kick in the turbocharger and climb out like a bandit.
Don't ever pull a solo at full throttle... they will not be able to climb with you. You can tow them at 28 mph and you'll still leave them in the dust... they just won't be able to climb with you... weak links will go left and right.
Another way of saying they'll be able to climb with you perfectly fine if they're using weak links that DON'T GO left and right. So much for the superb aeronautical prowess bullshit.

Note also that Jim Keen-Intellect Rooney is apparently under the impression that he's constantly "accelerating" through the course of a four minute 2500 foot climb. Must be going about Mach 15 by that point what with him already up to...

http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=14230
pro tow set-up
Jim Rooney - 2009/11/10 17:19:54 UTC

It doesn't sound like a problem at first... more speed is good right? As with all things, yes but .... "to a point". See what happens behind a 914 if you use 582 technique is this....

You accelerate very rapidly of course and gain a lot of speed. I call it leaving the cart at Mach 5.
...Mach 5 before he's gotten off the runway. Everybody else seems to be accelerating to 35 mph or so and staying there until they top out.

So here's fucking pro toad asshole Bo...

...Hagewood demonstrating his world class AT acceleration and timing abilities at Zapata. Bar to his knees, arms locked, glider rolled and going sideways. Gawd only knows what one of us clueless two-pointer muppets would've looked like at that point. Splattered all over the runway about fifty yards back would be a fair guess.

Wanna talk REAL tow power?

10-03323
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2928/14397296584_1d0e5e389b_o.png
http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5312/14395027351_2c50d06c3e_o.png
11-03602

2.3 seconds between those two frames. Probably a more powerful engine and it doesn't hafta waste energy lifting itself and a snotty driver seated in another plane - a big, draggy, heavy one. Granted, the tug pulls at a more efficient angle, but in the first seconds of the tow that issue is totally to reasonably negligible.

Davis tries to give cover to his Standard Aerotow Weak Linking buddies with the "flying with a rigid wing glider" caveat. Well yeah, you've got dedicated control surfaces so you don't need the degree of lockout protection a flex wing requires. But it actually backfires if you think about it a bit. 'Cause WITH that superior control authority a weak link break results in TROUBLE - not the mere inconvenience nor actual increase in the safety of the towing operation...

weak links
Jim Rooney - 2007/08/01 19:49:30 UTC

It's more of this crappy argument that being on tow is somehow safer than being off tow.
...consistent with the party line.

Tad loves to speak of himself as a scientifically minded person. Yet he ignores a data pool that is at minimum three orders of magnitude higher than his.
Kinda the way Russell did at Zapata over two and a half years after you wrote this? So maybe ignoring a data pools at minimums three orders of magnitude higher than one's own can be good things in this AT game. And maybe the people who do it years ahead of others are a lot smarter and more competent than the ones with the massive experience backgrounds. The smart guys who understand physics, engineering, aeronautical theory.
It is thus that I ignore him.
So are you also thus ignoring Russell?

Is this a joke ?
Jim Rooney - 2011/08/26 17:34:33 UTC

See, Russel knows what's up.
Guess not.

The simple fact is this. The only reason anyone even gives Tad the time of day is that they want to believe him.
Well now that the accepted standards and practices have changed, people are flying Tad-O-Links all over the place, not one single glider skinned knee or tug pilot fatality in the past eight seasons has been attributed to Tad-O-Link use, people are giving Tad massive less time now than they were back then. Any thoughts on that?

Any thoughts on why you're getting even less time of day than I am? Maybe 'cause just about all hang glider people are ass covering total dickheads who've never been wrong about anything or anyone?
Jim Rooney - 2013/03/05 21:40:02 UTC

Don't like it?
Don't ask me to tow you.

Go troll somewhere else buddy.
I'm over this.
Yeah motherfucker? Well everybody and his dog in these sports is totally over you.
Jim Rooney - 2016/10/01 05:55:48 UTC

Just posting here too let people know that I'm doing well.
Nobody gives a flying fuck how you're doing. You're history as far as the sports of hang and para gliding are concerned. You no longer have a public presence on anything anywhere. You gave us so much ammunition every time you opened your mouth that I'm surprised Tim Herr didn't have a contract taken out on you ten minutes after Zack Marzec bought it.

(Hey Capitol Club shits... Ya notice that none of the other Highland Aerosports crew people...

...ever took fifteen seconds to weigh in with three or four words one way or another on this civil war level controversy? At the time or in the years that followed through the Zack Marzec inconvenience fatality and on until their extinction? Any thoughts on why not?

Also notice that they didn't seem to be pleading with Jim very hard to come back for the 2016 season, keep them alive another year, maybe keep them from going extinct?)

u$hPa's known from shortly after the dawn of the Dragonfly era that its had a MAJOR problem with Donnell's Infallible Weak Link bullshit. Fourteen page bullshit article in the magazine...

This article was peer-reviewed and approved for publication by the USHPA Towing Committee.
...eight months before Zack Marzec is fatally inconvenienced at Quest and all hell breaks loose? That was a pathetic attempt at major damage control and Jimmy Boy wasn't learning fast enough when, how, why he needed to shut the fuck up. Motherfucker's got way fewer friends left in this sport than T** at K*** S****** does - zero at last count.

I have had a 582 Dragonfly with a 200 pound pilot in it pretty much suspended vertically from my Northwing T2. Tiki was my passenger. This situation lasted so long that the tug pilot (Neil Harris) had enough time to idle all the way back while looking straight at the ground. This was while practicing slow lockouts at altitude. On other occasions, the same weaklink broke for no apparent reason.
And here I was thinking that one of the most critical missions of the back end weak link was to guarantee that the tug's control authority...

http://www.chgpa.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3380
Lauren and Paul in Zapata
Lauren Tjaden - 2008/07/21 14:27:04 UTC

Zapata has delivered as promised, day after day with howling winds and good lift, where flights of over 100 miles (and much more) are possible.

Yesterday I chased Paul again. The tow rope weak link broke when Paul locked out and the weak link he got from Tad did not break. Russell said it was about the worst he has ever had his tail pulled around. Anyhow, I would advise against those weak links, though Tad's barrel releases do seem better able to release under stress. After Russell got a new rope and Paul recovered, he was late leaving and got trapped under some cirrus.
...wouldn't be dangerously compromised during the launch phase. (Hey Lauren, Russell ever report having his tail pulled around THAT badly? And I note you said he said "it was ABOUT the worst". How come we never heard about any of the more spectacular stuff? (And did you ever ask him why he didn't just squeeze his release lever if getting his tail pulled around that badly was such a big fucking deal? Maybe 'cause it WASN'T such a big fucking deal?))

If tandem operators think that, practically, a 520 lb. double loop weak link is too much for a tandem, it is way too much for a solo pilot.
They don't think that anymore, Trisa. So now I guess it's NOT way too much for a solo pilot. But down the road... Who really knows. Maybe at some point in the future it will again be way too much for a solo pilot.

Yeah Martin. It was a real civil war with real planes getting crashed and real people getting badly injured and killed. A pretty good argument can be made that virtually all hang glider tow crashes are the result of the Infallible Weak Link Donnell Hewett designed to prevent gliders from climbing steeply enough to stall WHEN the focal point of his safe towing system safely terminated the questionable tow. It's killed people by working when it was supposed to, not working when it was supposed to, making the easily reachable Reliable Release acceptable because it won't allow you to get into enough trouble for a bulletproof release to be a necessity.

It was the sport's controllers on the Infallible Weak Link side and the hang glider pilots on the other. The bad guys just declared victory and shut up without any actual resolution of the issue. I spearheaded the other and it cost me my flying career.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

One biggie I missed on my first run at dealing with this load of Davis Show clueless semiliterate sewage...
Jim Rooney - 2007/08/26 11:34:17 UTC

582 technique... let me explain
Yes, it's the accelleration. 115hp gets you flying much quicker.
Add to this the fact that it's a 4 stroke engine so it develops power imediately. A 582 has to spool up. It develops power much more gradually.
The two/four stroke shit is totally backwards - not to mention totally fucking irrelevant. Two strokes are twice as powerful and responsive as fours of the same displacement 'cause every other stroke is a power. And they're also a lot lighter - and thus the tug's a lot lighter. The reason the 914 gets you airborne faster is 'cause...
Jim Rooney - 2008/05/04 16:31:24 UTC

(A 914 has nearly twice the horsepower of a 582... 115hp vs 65hp)
...its nearly twice as powerful. Also nearly twice as likely to actuate the focal point of your safe towing system so, in practice, probably not.

Acceleration, assuming one has adequate runway, doesn't really have shit to do with anything other than rolling distance 'cause you take off at the same airspeed regardless of the time it takes you to attain it.

And headwind issues tend to dwarf to insignificance other factors. If it's blowing twenty-couple you can anchor the front end of the towline to a stake pounded into the strip and get airborne instantly by easing your bar out at zero miles per hour groundspeed.

And none of these Davis Show douchebags call him on any of this - or much of anything else.
115hp gets you flying much quicker.
Won't it also lock you out much quicker? How can this possibly be a GOOD thing? Aren't you just making...

weak links
Jim Rooney - 2007/08/01 19:49:30 UTC

It's more of this crappy argument that being on tow is somehow safer than being off tow.
...more of this crappy argument that being airborne on tow is somehow safer than hanging out on the cart or being immediately dumped back onto the runway by your Standard Aerotow Weak Link?

Another miss from the topic...
David Glover - 2008/05/04 23:20:43 UTC

A simple way to check yourself is to put the glider on the cart, hook in and lay down and let go of the base tube. Your flying position should be between trim and min sink. If you are positioned faster or slower than that you should consider changing the keel height. Too nose down or too nose up are both bad situations, having watched thousands of aerotows and seen accidents from both extremes I can attest there is a happy medium when it comes to correct position.
Yeah Dave. And then as soon as you get airborne...

06-03114
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3728/9655895292_f4f808fb0e_o.png
http://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4174/34261733815_bfb41c49d8_o.jpg
03-02421
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7200/14097626583_03972773c6_o.png

...you can totally ignore glider trim issues. If you don't hit trim until the bar's totally stuffed what's the worst that could happen?
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_hang_gliding
History of hang gliding
1983. Gérard Thévenot, the manufacturer of the Cosmos trike, introduced aerotowing, the use of weak links, parachute retrieval system of tow line and centre of thrust towing.
Rob Kells - 1985/09

Chris was telling me at breakfast that morning that Thevenot, when towing at the factory, doesn't use a weak link.
And the motherfucker most assuredly DID NOT introduce the use of weak links. Neither did Donnell Hewett - of whom there's zero mention in this bullshit article. Also zero mention of Brian Pattenden.

Thévenot introduced practical aerotowing to hang gliding (mostly with a trike capable of flying at a slower - but far from comfortable - speed) but all solid towing procedures and equipment configurations were established in the conventional glider scene decades before modern hang gliding first reared its ugly head.

The conventional glider weak link is a structural overload protector. This is a pretty much unheard of concept in hang gliding in which the weak link is snake oil - perpetrated as an emergency release; pitch, roll, yaw, stall, lockout mitigator. That concept originated an asshole or two forever lost to history. All Donnell did was to enshrine it with a 1.0 G value and codify it within a snake oil set of towing criteria.

And whereas Gérard DID have the line of the towline centered in and aligned with his center of thrust (via a hollow propeller shaft - to make HIS end safe - the gliders were all pro toad. I was there at Kitty Hawk Kites on the weekend of 1984/02/11-12 when he, Jean-Michel Bernasconi, and total fucking dickhead Mark Airey came through on their promo tour. And anybody who knows what the fuck a weak link is doesn't use it for some environments and not others. He uses it for ALL TOWING ACTIVITIES 'cause it's totally moronic not to.

A parachute retrieval system for an AT line. Can't imagine why he didn't get a Nobel Prize for that innovation.
Towing Aloft - 1998/01

We especially thank Gérard Thévenot for teaching us to aerotow, Wallaby Ranch for refining our skills and Raven Hang Gliding for their helpful input.
Sure is nice to have gotten everything from the best of the best, ain't it Dennis?

You read this crappy article and get the impression that towing is a virtually nonexistent component of hang gliding history, evolution, accomplishment.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_hang_gliding
History of hang gliding
2001. Manfred Ruhmer breaks 400 mile barrier on flex-wing.
2001/07/17. Out of Zapata. Dragonfly launch. Seven mentions of Bill Moyes. Zero mentions of his Dragonfly tug. Also zero mentions of Bobby Bailey - who's a fucking genius when it comes to this shit.

The long paragraph that begins "Now thousands" and "his Cumulus 5 b."... It's in there twice.

Great job, Industry insiders and your pet cocksuckers.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

More Wikipedia enshrined hang gliding bullshit...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hang_gliding
Hang gliding
Launch

Launch techniques include launching from a hill on foot, tow-launching from a ground-based tow system, aerotowing (behind a powered aircraft), powered harnesses, and being towed up by a boat. Modern winch tows typically utilize hydraulic systems designed to regulate line tension, this reduces scenarios for lock out as strong winds result in additional length of rope spooling out rather than direct tension on the tow line. Other more exotic launch techniques have also been used successfully, such as hot air balloon drops from very high altitude. When weather conditions are unsuitable to sustain a soaring flight, this results in a top-to-bottom flight and is referred to as a "sled run". In addition to typical launch configurations, a hang glider may be so constructed for alternative launching modes other than being foot launched; one practical avenue for this is for people who physically cannot foot-launch.

In 1983 Denis Cummings re-introduced a safe tow system that was designed to tow through the centre of mass and had a gauge that displayed the towing tension, it also integrated a 'weak link' that broke when the safe tow tension was exceeded. After initial testing, in the Hunter Valley, Denis Cummings, pilot, John Clark, (Redtruck), driver and Bob Silver, officianado, began the Flatlands Hang gliding competition at Parkes, NSW. The competition quickly grew, from 16 pilots the first year to hosting a World Championship with 160 pilots towing from several wheat paddocks in western NSW. In 1986 Denis and 'Redtruck' took a group of international pilots to Alice Springs to take advantage of the massive thermals. Using the new system many world records were set. With the growing use of the system, other launch methods were incorporated, static winch and towing behind a ultralight trike or an ultralight airplane.
Modern winch tows typically utilize hydraulic systems designed to regulate line tension, this reduces scenarios for lock out as strong winds result in additional length of rope spooling out rather than direct tension on the tow line.
And...

High line tensions reduce the pilot's ability to control the glider and we all know that the killer "lockout" is caused by high towline tension.
...high line tensions reduce the pilot's ability to control the glider. And we all know that the killer "lockout" is caused by high towline tension.
In 1983 Denis Cummings re-introduced a safe tow system that was designed to tow through the centre of mass...
Bull fucking shit. He didn't RE-introduce anything. The guy's a total Hewett product. Kite Strings "Skyting" topic/archive, Posts:
- 2637 2638 2639 2640 2647 2648 2649 2651 2654 2655 2658 2659 2662 2667
...and had a gauge that displayed the towing tension...
Yeah, ya always wanna keep a close eye on the gauge to make sure the tension's on target and steady. That tells you that everything's going smooth as glass with the glider...

022-04610
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2809/13746340634_a74b33d285_o.png

...on the other end. It's high towline tensions that reduce the pilot's ability to control the glider and cause the killer "lockout" - as we all know all too well.
...it also integrated a 'weak link'...
Oh. It INTEGRATED 'weak link'. How come sailplanes don't INTEGRATE weak links? How come they just INSTALL them at the ends of the towline with ratings and in configurations that also make sense?
..that broke when the safe tow tension was exceeded.
Maximum safe tow tension - as we all know - being one G. So when a 300 pound glider is pulling 300 pounds tension he's almost certainly climbing hard in a near stall situation. At that point the integrated 'weak link' will break, the tow tension will instantly drop to zero, and the glider will fly away in maximum safety configuration.
After initial testing, in the Hunter Valley...
...to make sure the integrated 'weak link' performed as it was supposed to...
...Denis Cummings, pilot, John Clark...
Clarke.
...(Redtruck), driver and Bob Silver, officianado...
- Not an actual word. (Try running a spellcheck, asshole.)
- Both also referenced by Denis in his Skyting newsletter contributions.
...began the Flatlands Hang gliding competition at Parkes, NSW. The competition quickly grew, from 16 pilots the first year to hosting a World Championship with 160 pilots towing from several wheat paddocks in western NSW. In 1986 Denis and 'Redtruck' took a group of international pilots to Alice Springs to take advantage of the massive thermals. Using the new system many world records were set. With the growing use of the system...
Denis's system, right?
...other launch methods were incorporated, static winch and towing behind a ultralight trike or an ultralight airplane.
Boy, we really owe this Denis Cummings a real debt of gratitude, don't we? And really hard to imagine where post-Dickenson hang gliding would've gone without all these awesome contributions from...

http://ozreport.com/9.022
Worlds organization critique - a response
Davis Straub - 2005/01/25

Weaklinks are a big issue. The problem is that pilots "learn" to make stronger and stronger weaklinks because they do not want to have a weaklink break when it is dangerous (they are low and out of control) and they are penalized by the meet rules which put them to the back of the launch line after they land. Bill Moyes lost eleven spectra ropes the first two days of the Worlds because the pilots' weaklinks were a lot stronger than the ones at the tug end.
http://ozreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1143
Death at Tocumwal
Davis Straub - 2006/01/24 12:27:32 UTC

Bill Moyes argues that you should not have to move your hand from the base bar to release. That is because your natural inclination is to continue to hold onto the base bar in tough conditions and to try to fly the glider when you should be releasing.
...Australia.

Donnell is very obviously, deliberately, conspicuously being written out of the history books.

The Industry - news flash - doesn't like us. And they shut down and/or sweep under the rug as much as possible all the cool stuff upon which we feed. Like, for example, when I pointed out that u$hPa PG rating requirements FORCE pilots to fly in conditions (thermal) which their chief damage control officer had carelessly confirmed were dice rolling...

http://www.kitestrings.org/post10823.html#p10823

...it wasn't long afterwards that the Pilot Proficiency rating requirements were removed from public access. And the public can't see who's been getting recognized with special awards anymore either.
Pat Denevan:
- 1992 - NAA Safety Pat Denevan
- 2001 - Hang Gliding Instructor of the Year

A wee bit embarrassing now.

Jim Keen-Intellect Rooney for many years was their golden boy who could do or say no wrong. Then the 2013/02/02 Zack Marzec inconvenience fatality and it all blew up in their faces. The little motherfucker couldn't open his mouth without flatly contradicting a minimum of fifteen other statements he'd made that we could pull up and post within the next ninety seconds and he was too fucking stupid to just shut up and ooze away. That's another mistake The Industry will never make again.

Donnell...

Need I say more. What the hell, I will anyway. We have all his stuff beautifully archived.

The Industry can't afford to have any experts on anything out there anymore. If they're totally full o' shit we're gonna tear them to shreds. (When was the last time ya heard anybody citing Dennis Pagen on anything?) And if they're actual experts they're gonna tear The Industry to shreds. Donnell's an expert of the former flavor. Wrote the fuckin' book on hang glider towing. And we've got it.

Towing question

Not anymore. You motherfuckers got reduced to ashes in the war. So just don't mention anything about weak links PERIOD. ANYWHERE.

P.S...

High line tensions - as all of us who tow and have functional brains will know - INCREASE the pilot's ability to control the glider. The problem we can get into with high tensions on aero (fixed length line) is OVER control - PIO. And a halfway competent tug driver will dial back a bit to REDUCE the glider's responsiveness enough for us to get back on track.

It's MISALIGNED tension that can overwhelm our control authority and get us locked out. And it takes precious little misaligned tension to do it. And weak links - despite what you've heard from just about every national organization, instructor, tug driver on the planet - totally suck at detecting and responding to misalignment.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

https://ozreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=57418
Florida Ridge raising aerotow rate
Luke Waters - 2018/10/25 17:10:37 UTC

It doesn't matter if you are running a Dragonfly on weekends, seasonally, or full time year round. $25 for a solo tow is likely a net loss for any Dragonfly.

You can see many cost analysis spreadsheets of operating aircraft that break down costs per hour. I once broke it down even further, per tow, for my 582 Dragonfly. I was as accurate as I could be, based on receipts from 3 years of operation. The results were eye-opening. The Dragonfly was at best breaking even, but more than likely operating at a net loss on every solo tow.

Factor costs of aircraft, and depreciation every time it leaves the ground.
Factor high costs of insurance, if you can find it. If not, then factor the risk of complete loss on any given flight.
Factor costs of fuel, oil, and other consumables.
Factor costs of engine rebuilds, and many power plant related wear parts needing constant maintenance and replacement.
Factor the costs of the tools, not just regular tools but many expensive specialty tools to work on the engine.

Factor costs of a hangar to keep it in, a field to operate from, electricity to keep the lights on.
Factor the costs of the pilot. It needs a skilled and experienced pilot, the training, flight reviews, medical, and other expenses are often overlooked.
Factor the cost of the launch cart that gets abused and left out in the sun and rain, the tow rope that occasionally gets dropped and lost, all those little things start to add up.
Factor in the time away from doing a much more profitable tandem tow.
Factor in the beginner pilot, the guy who pays the same $25 as you, but needs help every step of the way, assistance, hand holding, etc. This adds up to hours and hours of extra time for the crew.
Then on top of all that, factor in the risk, the exposure to possible litigation you open yourself up to by towing solo pilots with varying skills and abilities.

If you were doing a business cost analysis of running a Dragonfly, you'd be crazy to even consider solo tows as part of your business.

Luckily for us, most DF owners are not just in it to make money, but they are in it for the love of hang gliding. Solo tows are a gift at any of these prices we are talking about.

This is why as a hang gliding community, we must support tow parks, support instructors, and support those in the business of operating Dragonflys. We need to make it easier to do discovery tandems, we need to make it easier for them to be profitable.

Skydiving operations are not paying for turbine aircraft with $25 fun jumpers either. And the fun jumpers know that. Their industry and organizations support tandem jumps. Almost every major metro area has some kind of skydiving operation. It is easier to find a professional sky diving instructor than a professional hang gliding instructor almost anywhere in the US.

But some people in our sport, and even some people in our national organization, want to label business owners as detrimental to the sport. They want to think anyone making money in hang gliding is bad for the sport.
So Luke...

http://ozreport.com/13.238
Adam Parer on his tuck and tumble
Adam Parer - 2009/11/25

Due to the rough conditions weak links were breaking just about every other tow and the two tugs worked hard to eventually get everyone off the ground successfully.
Is this a joke ?
Davis Straub - 2011/08/28 15:26:28 UTC

Then again, Russell Brown had us double up behind him after six breaks in a row at Zapata. We couldn't figure out why we had so many breaks so quickly. Maybe just coincidence.
Jim Rooney - 2011/08/28 19:39:17 UTC

Weak links break for all kinds of reasons.
Some obvious, some not.

The general consensus is the age old adage... "err on the side of caution".

The frustration of a weaklink break is just that, frustration.
And it can be very frustrating for sure. Especially on a good day, which they tend to be. It seems to be a Murphy favourite. You'll be in a long tug line on a stellar day just itching to fly. The stars are all lining up when *bam*, out of nowhere your trip to happy XC land goes up in a flash. Now you've got to hike it all the way back to the back of the line and wait as the "perfect" window drifts on by.

I get it.
It can be a pisser.

But the "other side"... the not cautions one... is not one of frustration, it's one of very real danger.
Better to be frustrated than in a hospital, or worse.
No exaggeration... this is the fire that the "other side" is made of. Best not to play with it.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/flyhg/message/17223
Pilot's Hotline winter flying
Mark Frutiger - 2013/02/03 13:41

Yesterday was a light and variable day with expected good lift. Zach was the second tow of the afternoon. We launched to the south into a nice straight in wind. A few seconds into the tow I hit strong lift.

Zach hit it and went high and to the right. The weak link broke at around 150 feet or so and Zach stalled and dropped a wing or did a wingover, I couldn't tell. The glider tumbled too low for a deployment.
What's the real cost of THAT bullshit?

And fuck all you Dragonfly assholes...

Weak link question
Jim Rooney - 2008/11/24 05:18:15 UTC

I've personally refused to tow a flight park owner over this very issue. I didn't want to clash, but I wasn't towing him. Yup, he wanted to tow with a doubled up weaklink. He eventually towed (behind me) with a single and sorry to disappoint any drama mongers, we're still friends. And lone gun crazy Rooney? Ten other tow pilots turned him down that day for the same reason.
...for getting that bullshit established, institutionalized, perpetrated, enforced for decades.
Tost Flugzeuggerätebau

- Use only the weak links stipulated in your aircraft TCDS or aircraft manual.

- Checking the cable preamble is mandatory according to SBO (German Gliding Operation Regulations); this includes the inspection of weak links.

- Replace the weak link immediately in the case of visible damage.

- We recommend that the weak link insert are replaced after 200 starts: AN INSERT EXCHANGED IN TIME IS ALWAYS SAFER AND CHEAPER THAN AN ABORTED LAUNCH.

- Always use the protective steel sleeve.
And STILL not a single one of you motherfuckers has ever acknowledged that there's any more expense involved in an increase in the safety of the towing operation than the price of three inches worth of 130 pound test precision fishing line.