Weak links

General discussion about the sport of hang gliding
Tad Eareckson

Re: Weak links

Post by Tad Eareckson »

WASHINGTON, March 26 (Reuters) - An emergency fuel shut-off switch had been accidentally tripped moments before a fatal crash of a helicopter in New York's East River on March 11, a pilot told the National Transportation Safety Board in a preliminary report released Monday.

The Eurocopter AS350 chartered by Liberty Helicopters of New Jersey crashed, killing all five passengers after a private photo shoot trip over New York City. The pilot, who escaped, also told the NTSB that the engine trouble started shortly after a passenger slid across the seat and leaned back to take a picture. The pilot also said he saw part of a passenger's restraint harness underneath the switch as the craft was going down.

The pilot said he was "committed to impact," and "when he reached down for the emergency fuel shutoff lever, he realized that it was in the off position," the report said.

The NTSB said the pilot told investigators that as the craft was flying along the eastern side of Central Park, "the front seat passenger turned sideways, slid across the double bench seat toward the pilot, leaned back, and extended his feet to take a photograph of his feet outside the helicopter."

The engine trouble began shortly after that, said the pilot, who also said he briefly considered landing in Central Park, "but thought there were 'too many people,'" the report added.
Mere inconvenience.

Liberty Helicopters said in a statement earlier this month it was "focused on supporting the families affected by this tragic accident," adding that it was cooperating with investigators.
Say hi to Mitch for me.
The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) on March 16 ordered an end to so-called "doors off" helicopter rides unless passengers are equipped with quick-release restraints.

The FAA said operators and pilots must take immediate actions to control or mitigate the risk presented by passengers wearing what it called "supplemental restraints."
Why? What they were doing had a perfectly long track record. And you don't ever see the FAA ever getting its panties in a bunch over anything that happens to...

http://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5788/23461251751_e98b9c7500_o.png

...legitimate hang gliding students.
Two of the five passengers died at the scene and three were taken to local hospitals where they died later, officials said. They had been tightly harnessed and the harnesses had to be cut and removed to free them, officials said.
http://c1.staticflickr.com/1/890/41043304701_0f9968e95f_o.png
The NTSB report Monday said the passengers had restraint systems installed by the manufacturer as well as a harness system comprised of off-the-shelf components consisting of a nylon fall-protection harness that was attached at the occupants' back by a locking carabineer to a lanyard.
And nice to see them getting the speelling right.
Steve Davy

Post by Steve Davy »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Ui8m0J4do8
Clive Jones

Shame on the tug pilot in not releasing him?
Flying Wolfe

April released a pilot at the Quest Nationals in '16 in a similar position and it ended in a fatality. Dumping the pilot isnt always a fix, especially that close to the turf.
<BS>

Post by <BS> »

That release was a unanimous decision shared with the weak link, and miraculously executed at the same time.

http://ozreport.com/20.102#2
Accident on the launching pad
Davis wrote:The pilot's weak link broke at apparently the same time as tug pilot gave him the rope.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

We all seem to be thinking along the same lines.

Steve...

Fuckin' GOLDEN - on so many levels, issues. But fuck you anyway 'cause now I'm gonna hafta spend a zillion hours obsessively working this new smoking gun gem to death while I'm trying to prep for the trip.

Brian...

I actually pretty much buy that one for several reasons.

Flying Wolfe is full o' shit of course. Jeff was living on borrowed time probably from a couple seconds after the instant he instinctively went for the dangling camera and went from extremely marginal pilot into total passenger mode. Obviously the Tad-O-Link needs to be fully vaporized at least a millisecond before April...

http://www.questairhanggliding.com/images/april.jpg?crc=27491998
dead

...("Smackin" Mackin) attempts to make a good decision in the interest of his (read her (and her underpowered Dragonfly's)) safety, but I have no doubt whatsoever that both the focal point of Jeff's safe towing system and she were thinking the same thing at the same time for similar reasons.

Plus there were too many witnesses around for Davis to risk an outright lie on that issue. And he'd have been a bit hurting for motivation - as far as I can tell.

I've pulled this 36.67 second beauty up into Final Cut and some historic stills will be forthcoming. I'm sure this is unlike anything that's ever been captured on video before.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

I've moved the previous three posts from the "Videos" topic for the sake of continuity.

Scary Ride
Robert Skinner - 2018/04/06

Popped off the cart ...
By which he means GOT popped - as opposed to anything he did.

My best effort of a transcription of the pre launch dialog:
Alright. Push back while you're on the dolly. You pull in and stay on the dolly too long. Ready?
Yep.
Crossing from the left a bit.
Yep, if you pull in you stay on the cart too long. Then you do what Jim Keen-Intellect Rooney calls a Mach 5 takeoff. And you SLAM into the propwash

Towing out in the desert, like it or not, you get to see it and see it in a big way - big ol' cloud of dust and rocks.

And you're wondering why you're breaking weak links???? Are you kidding me?

Think about it. You're going a million miles an hour under huge (relatively speaking) line tension as you come blazing out of the cart - struggling to stay down - and slam into turbulent air. Hell yes you're going to break your weak link. That's what it's there for!

You're subjecting it to massive loading. (The shock loading a weak link sees as you hit the propwash is far greater than people appreciate.) That's why you have it... it's doing its job.

Oops. Forgot we're not allowed to mention weak links in any context under any circumstances anymore. Ditto regarding Jim Keen-Intellect Rooney (strangely absent, once again, from the discussion.)

Cart monkey's an asshole. It's hard for anybody who's got any business being on a launch cart to stay on it too long. And Robert here's a semipro toad - has his upper attachment at the midpoint between where all the kool kids have theirs and the trim point the muppets use to maintain their gliders in certified configuration. And he sure doesn't stay on the cart too long. If he had this would've been just another boring AT launch video. And note how much time he spends with the bar fully stuffed during the solution phase.
Ron Wolff

Way to fly the kite, was that a rotor from the tug?
Yeah Ron:

- Way to fly the kite - which you get to do a lot more of when it's too goddam much of a bother to TRIM the kite.

- It was a ROTOR from the tug. Happens all the time. Those things are so powerful that the prop wash causes the air to start coming in from behind the glider. It can get pretty ugly on the odd occasion - like this one.
Robert Skinner

I think it was just a thermal rolling down the field, although it didn't hit the tug.
You mean the tug that didn't need to shove the stick full forward to maintain a safe climb rate? The tug which uses a bridle that lines up the towline with the centers of mass, drag, thrust? What are you using your bridle to line up with? Oh, right. You're just hooking up to your carabiner 'cause of the convenience consideration.
The next day 3 out of 4 gliders on carts waiting to launch got flipped off the cart by a thermal rolling down the field.
The fourth one was being attended by its owner who'd considered the possibility of a thermal rolling down the field.
MrFalcon195

This was really scary! And so close to the ground you didn't have much choice but continue...
Well, he made the right choice then.
Good job!
And great job trimming your glider! I think I'm gonna move my upper trim point way the fuck back and down in order to be able to bask in compliments like these when I narrowly miss eating it.
Clive Jones

Shame on the tug pilot in not releasing him?
- Definitely. They can fix whatever's going on back there by giving us the rope. They can rectify the crappy judgment they used in allowing the incompetent muppets in the first place by instantly morphing into superb judgment mode and making the precise right call at the precise right moment for us from 250 feet in front of us looking in a mirror while flying their own planes and dodging all the five hundred foot trees that encircle their flight parks.

- Shame on the glider pilot in not releasing himself? Thank you, Clive, accidentally acknowledging that the person on the glider has ZERO chance of releasing himself in any emergency situation using the appropriate bridle that Davis mandates and sells at all the u$hPa sanctioned comps. And the next time some u$hPa / Flight Park Mafia operative motherfucker like Joe Gregor writes in an AT fatality report that...
Joe Gregor - 2004/09

Highly experienced mountain pilot aerotowing a newly-purchased glider experienced a lockout at low altitude. Witness reports indicate that the glider began oscillating immediately after leaving the launch dolly. The weak link broke after the glider entered a lockout attitude. Once free, the glider was reportedly too low (50-65' AGL, estimated) to recover from the unusual attitude and impacted the ground in a steep dive. The pilot suffered fatal injuries due to blunt trauma. There is no evidence that the pilot made an attempt to release from tow prior to the weak link break, the gate was found closed on the Wallaby-style tow release.
...there was no evidence that the pilot made an attempt to release from tow prior to impact we'll be able to trot out this video and discussion and point out the fact that there's no evidence that anybody in the history of Flight Park Mafia aerotowing has ever had any viable option for making an attempt to release.

http://ozreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=31052
Poll on weaklinks
Brad Gryder - 2013/02/21 23:25:31 UTC

There's also a way to swing your body way outside the control frame so it stays up there while you reach out with one hand and release. Come on - do some pushups this winter. :roll: See if you can advance up to some one-arm pushups.
Still waiting for the video on that technique - or anybody describing how he so much as once practiced it in a drill - as well.
Robert Skinner

I'm glad she kept me on.
- Sounds like more of this crappy argument that being on tow is somehow safer than being off tow.

- Now where have we heard something like that before?
Dennis Pagen - 2005/01

I pulled in all the way, but could see that I wasn't going to come down unless something changed. I hung on and resisted the tendency to roll to the side with as strong a roll input as I could, given that the bar was at my knees. I didn't want to release, because I was so close to the ground and I knew that the glider would be in a compromised attitude. In addition, there were hangars and trees on the left, which is the way the glider was tending. By the time we gained about 60 feet I could no longer hold the glider centered--I was probably at a 20-degree bank--so I quickly released before the lockout to the side progressed. The glider instantly whipped to the side in a wingover maneuver. I cleared the buildings, but came very close to the ground at the bottom of the wingover. I leveled out and landed.

Analyzing my incident made me realize that had I released earlier I probably would have hit the ground at high speed at a steep angle. The result may have been similar to that of the pilot in Germany. The normal procedure for a tow pilot, when the hang glider gets too high, is to release in order to avoid the forces from the glider pulling the tug nose-down into a dangerous dive. However Neal kept me on line until I had enough ground clearance, and I believe he saved me from injury by doing so. I gave him a heart-felt thank you.
Pretentious asshole quack.

http://www.chgpa.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3600
Weak link question
Danny Brotto - 2008/11/04 12:49:44 UTC

I came out of the cart rolled and yawed to the right with the upwind wing flying and the downwind wing stalled. It was rather dramatic. If I had released or if the weak link had broken, the downwind wing would have further stalled and I would have cartwheeled into terra firma in an unpleasant fashion. I held on tight gaining airspeed until the downwind wing began flying, got in behind the tug, and continued the flight.

Sunny later told be he was about to give me the rope and I thanked him to no end that he didn't.
Notice the way Danny references the focal point of his safe towing system while Dennis never heard of the elephant in the Jack's Living Room.
Would have whacked hard if she hadn't.
- But if you'd used an appropriate weak link with a finished length of 1.5 inches or less it would've kept you from getting into too much trouble and the resulting increase in the safety of the towing operation would've included a no-brainer perfectly timed landing flare.

- People have died as consequences of whacks a lot lighter than the one that, with a bit less going for you, you'd have experienced.
Flying Wolfe

April released a pilot at the Quest Nationals in '16 in a similar position and it ended in a fatality. Dumping the pilot isnt always a fix, especially that close to the turf.
- Funny that we've never heard the slightest hint of a comment from April on that one and that this, in fact, is the first we've heard her publicly identified. She's got nothing to hide, right? Did the best possible from start to impact given the circumstances, right? Her passenger DID relinquish his grip on the control bar with one hand for a good three quarters of a second - contrary to warnings we all get throughout our training and at the pilots meetings at all the comps. If he'd pulled a gun out of a harness pocket and blown his brains out would she have been any more to blame?

- The "pilot" had a name. It was Jeff Bohl. Are you not using it out of respect for his memory and family?

- Not all that similar. Both and the Tad-O-Link and Pilot In Command were a bit slow in recognizing the seriousness of and remedying the situation and Jeff understood that while one easy reach would kill a pro toad fast two easy reaches would kill one twice as fast. He was locked out and it was, within a very tight range, only a matter of when - not IF.

- Remember the decades when this discussion would be 99.9 to 100.0 percent about the use of an inappropriate weak link. It's STUNNING how totally and quickly the landscape changed with that ONE textbook incident less than 22 miles up the peninsula from this one.
Donnell Hewett - 1980/12

Skyting requires the use of an infallible weak link to place an absolute upper limit to the towline tension in the unlikely event that everything else fails.

Now I've heard the argument that "Weak links always break at the worst possible time, when the glider is climbing hard in a near stall situation," and that "More people have been injured because of a weak link than saved by one."
Argument's over, Donnell. Took a third of a century's worth of death, destruction, insanity... but your name is fading fast from the history books. You're too much of an embarrassment to too many of the players.

- Especially that close to the turf?

http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=11497
Aerotow release options?
Tad Eareckson - 2009/07/04 00:46:06 UTC

There IS NO SUCH THING as "the limit for safe operation" with respect to tow line tension 'cause you can get killed BECAUSE you have ZERO tension (ask Helen) and you can be perfectly safe under tension which falls just shy of the point at which your port cross spar is gonna buckle.
Jack Axaopoulos - 2009/07/04 01:08:20 UTC

You really need to stop with exaggerating to the point of lying, just to try to make your point, its annoying and misleading.

If you are under ZERO tension, then you are simply a hang glider flying. You DO know how to fly a fricken glider dont you???? Image
Tad Eareckson - 2009/07/04 11:50:50 UTC

Nope. I just know how to read, observe, and think.

Two things I'm sure of - death and taxes.
And one of the factors that goes into the first thing...
When you lose tow tension your angle of attack goes way up.
And if your angle of attack was way too high to begin with, your hang glider may not ever again be of any use to you or anyone else.
Jack Axaopoulos - 2009/07/04 12:13:01 UTC

Bullshit.

a) only the pilot can let the angle of attack increase when you lose tension. Thats 100% on the pilot. You are simply wrong and misleading again.

b) "And if your angle of attack was way too high to begin with..." Which should never be the case or youre making a pilot error. Again, you are misleading people.

This is the problem I have with you. You attempt to fallaciously attribute pilot errors to issues of mechanical towing devices or other things.

Sorry... but if you suddenly lose power, your nose just doesnt pop Image
Not really seeing the problem here. You DO know how to fly a fricken glider dont you????

http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=12682
Landing on your feet (for AEROTOW)- So Dangerous
Jack Axaopoulos - 2009/06/29 14:26:26 UTC

OMG!!! You dont even have wheels!!?!?!?!? Image
YOURE GONNA DIE FOR SUUUUREE!!!! Image
I have a brilliant idea. People who cant land for shit.... LEARN TO LAND Image That way when a weak link breaks on you, ITS A NON-ISSUE. Genius huh??? Image
Robert Skinner

Yep, this tug pilot...
THIS tug pilot? She doesn't have a name? Why do you feel her identity needs protecting even when you come out smelling like a rose? When Tiki Mashy exhibited all that FANTASTIC FLYING she did on 2016/11/06 while Richard Thorp was trying to figure out what to do with the launch dolly he'd snagged and taken up with him nobody had any problem identifying HER and singing her praises. What? This tug pilot wasn't flying as fantastically as Tiki was?
...questioned her decision...
She questioned the decision she made to maintain your thrust in a life or death situation? She'd never trained for - or even considered - a scenario like this before? So what emergency scenarios do you think she HAD trained, WAS prepared for?
...but I thanked her profusely for for not handing me the rope.
Oh really?
Towing Aloft - 1998/01

Pro Tip: Always thank the tug pilot for intentionally releasing you, even if you feel you could have ridden it out. He should be given a vote of confidence that he made a good decision in the interest of your safety.
You're only supposed to thank the tug pilot for intentionally releasing and piling you into the turf when you and the focal point of your safe towing system (which, according to Dennis Pagen, should've functioned long before you reached any point of concern), were electing to continue the tow. By thanking her profusely for NOT handing you the rope you're conditioning her to make POOR decisions in the interest of your safety - not to mention the safety of all future pilots in similar situations. If you'd been a PRO (instead of just a SEMIpro) you'd have punched her out and called her a dangerous incompetent bitch who'd damn near gotten you killed.

And gee Dennis, you don't reference the slightest problem with blowing any of the Industry Standard releases anywhere in the excellent book, Towing Aloft, by Dennis Pagen and Bill Bryden in any emergency situation. So why should any tug pilot ever make the assumption that any glider still on tow would be better off not on tow? Or is this proof of the bullshit you and your asshole buddy are feeding us that we'll never have the slightest problem with blowing any of the Industry Standard releases listed and illustrated in your bullshit book in any emergency situation?
I don't think we consider things from the tug pilots perspective enough.
It's not really OUR JOB to consider things from the tug pilot's perspective enough, asshole. WE pay THEM to get us to altitude safely. OUR job is to fly OUR plane as safely as possible for the duration of the tow. And if we do that - and all of us DO, for all practical purposes - we're automatically also maxing out the tug's safety.

And they don't really give flying fucks about OUR safety 'cause:
- no Dragonfly tows with a legal front end weak link configuration
- those douchebags ALL tow gliders with total shit:
-- bridle configurations - like yours
-- excuses for tow releases - like yours
-- for landing gear (yours is marginal)
-- understandings of what weak links are and what they're supposed to do for us

And what ill fate are you envisioning might have happened to her for our want of consideration for her perspective? Can you cite ANYTHING relevant from over a third of a century's worth of hang glider aerotowing. And bear in mind that for every flight an individual glider pilot makes the fuckin' tug pilot does fifty. So, all other things being equal, they should be dropping like flies relative to our population.
I'm was dangerous for her to keep me on.
Bullshit.

- Here's the worst we see you with your tug also in the same frame:

17-1821
http://c1.staticflickr.com/1/962/40373978690_9aef9ff7ca_o.png

You're still lined up perfectly as far as what she's feeling. She's not even sure you're back there. Tell me how that differs from:

38-3306
http://c1.staticflickr.com/1/829/27309745997_a8e3031fe8_o.png

as far as your idiot driver's concerned.

Compare/Contrast with:

http://c1.staticflickr.com/1/900/26320843187_42024d4ef3_o.jpg

That glider's fuckin' SIDEWAYS to the Dragonfly at the other end that's just lifted off and Evgeniya doesn't have the slightest fucking clue that there's the slightest fucking issue at the back end of her rope. She's straight, level, doing fine. Maybe a little more right rudder than usual.

Also... Frame 17-1821 from your tow above is as out of straight and level as we ever see your Dragonfly.

If you're really worried about tug pilot safety then keep them out of:
- hang gliding 'cause they're as incapable of doing hook-in checks as they are of doing safety checks in aerotowing
- para gliding 'cause they'll contend that canopy collapses can be handled as quickly and safely as Standard Aerotow Weak Link inconveniences

The only thing worth mentioning that's ACTUALLY dangerous to a tug is the exact same thing:

that those motherfuckers have insisted for decades is the best and really only hope for any hang glider pilot's long term survival - an instant and total power failure on takeoff. Six times in a row in light morning conditions if ya really wanna do things right.

You titled this video "Scary Ride". She's watching you in her mirror and she's probably more scared than you are 'cause all she can do is maintain direction and power and hope that you have enough competency and luck to be able to pull it out. Neither of you are real sure you're gonna survive and she knows that if you don't she could get sued out of existence.

We usually have a hard time figuring out who was on the front end. (Case in point here - where we're lucky to have scored a gender to date.) You're not identifying your driver and she's not participating in any discussion. Probably 'cause she's too modest to wanna be known as the ace Dragonfly pilot who saved your incompetent ass at great risk to herself.
Tormod Helgesen

"Don't pull in or you stay on the cart to long" WTF! Does this operation TRY to kill People?
They all do - to some extent or other. They like to see glider people scared, intimidated, lacking in confidence. Helps inflate their images and consolidate control of our sport to their advantages.
Robert Skinner

I don't have my head around the logic either, but I'm sure there's a good reason.
Like maybe the sooner you come off the cart the easier it'll be for him to retrieve it? Think you might be able to wrap your head around THAT logic?

I didn't like to take the cart down the runway more than I needed for a safe launch so as soon as I felt I was in the ballpark I just EASED the nose up a tiny bit. If the glider lifted - and it always did - I just continued slowly sliding clear of the cart, pulled in a little when free to skim and build up more speed minus the cart, then started climbing out normally.

But that took a little thought, skill, subtlety. This asshole's been burned by assholes like Matthew Graham who take the cart halfway down the runway and lift it three feet into the air just to make damn sure. TEACHING's too much of a pain and none of these flight park assholes do it - 'cept for advice and clinics on how to perfect your flare timing - so he just tells you to hold the bar out so you wallow into the air and leave the cart behind using as little runway as possible.

And you do it.

Here's your keel still resting in, being supported by the cradle:

06-1316
http://c1.staticflickr.com/1/959/42181255731_cd4beaf9b5_o.png

Here's as high as it gets before you separate:

08-1512
http://c1.staticflickr.com/1/944/42181254471_eafa89b54f_o.png

and you're still pushed way the fuck out.

09-1606
http://c1.staticflickr.com/1/829/41460443984_f80db8e3e8_o.png
10-1617
http://c1.staticflickr.com/1/832/42181252181_3dc545c1fb_o.png
11-1700
http://c1.staticflickr.com/1/970/41280650175_96c66444d8_o.png
12-1704
http://c1.staticflickr.com/1/823/41280649535_3cfbc7a32d_o.png

You don't skim, you're pushed out and climbing, not leaving the cart behind... And then in under a second from that last frame:

15-1803
http://c1.staticflickr.com/1/953/42181248861_265b7af8e2_o.png

You're fully stuffed trying to get speed, down, control, leveled.
He's got more AT experience than anyone else I know.
Bobby Fucking-Genius Bailey had more experience than Robin Strid or anybody else knew - when he hooked up behind him a dozen seconds before he got pile driven back into the paddock at Hay. So the fuck what? There's only so good, skilled, knowledgeable one can get with aerotowing and none of it's anywhere near beyond the grasp of a halfway intelligent solid high Two.

This motherfucker put you on a cart with crappy equipment, gave you instructions that didn't make any sense to you - and shouldn't have - and in mellow conditions at the worst you came as close to getting killed as anyone I've ever seen whose been able to recover and fly away smelling like a rose. And you still don't understand what happened and why and the unidentified sonuvabitch isn't participating in the conversation and helping you out. And there's a REASON he's not doing that.
Flying Wolfe

Man needs to go buy a lottery ticket.
What? You don't think he has enough in the way of gambling going on by flying Wallaby?
Hazem Arafeh

Glad you are okay.
Tell me how he's OK. Came fairly close to getting killed on this one. What's he learned / gonna do differently to prevent something similar happening in any or all of his next dozen flights?
Was the tow behind a 582 or 912 engine?
Robert Skinner

Yeah, I'm glad I'm OK too.
You're not. Not if you're planning on continuing aerotowing anyway. You got killed for the purpose of the exercise and have learned NOTHING. You were rolling dice on the last one, you'll be rolling the same dice on the next one.
It was a 582 ... Not sure if it would have been better or worse with a 912.
- She took off at FULL POWER. She never DECREASED the power. Continuous power was what allowed you the control speed you needed and used to recover - barely. Pick one.

- Ease up on the gas and the 912 converts to a 582. Doesn't work the other way around. And have you ever heard anyone say, "DAMN! If only I'd had less power to work with!"?

- What was the engine on the only other incident (fatal) mentioned in THIS discussion?

http://ozreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9230
Departing the launch cart
Jim Rooney - 2007/09/01 02:39:53 UTC

Which brings us to the reason to have a 914 in the first place... you need one.
Something made you get a 914 instead of a 582. 914s are horribly expensive to own and maintain. If you own one, you need it... it's a safety thing.
There's one thing that total fucking douchebag has said about which no one's ever had the least degree of disagreement

http://www.chgpa.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3661
Flying the 914 Dragonfly
Jim Rooney - 2008/12/06 20:01:49 UTC

You will only ever need full throttle for the first fifty feet of a tandem tow. Don't ever pull a solo at full throttle... they will not be able to climb with you. You can tow them at 28 mph and you'll still leave them in the dust... they just won't be able to climb with you... weaklinks will go left and right.
Don't seem to be having that problem anymore. Any thoughts on why not? And, for extra credit, the implications? 'Specially with respect to your recent situation?

21-1927
http://c1.staticflickr.com/1/968/41280644535_f2afe7b9ac_o.png
<BS>

Post by <BS> »

Cart monkey's an asshole.
Malcolm?
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

Could be, hadn't considered the possibility. But that would certainly be consistent. I'll try to check against some Bob Grant photos when I've gotten better caught up.
---
Amendment - 2018/05/18 22:22:22 UTC

Been through some photos. Not a bad match and a pretty good bet/call.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

Jump to next post:
http://www.kitestrings.org/post10988.html#p10988

Here's the whole 39 frame stills project from:

Scary Ride
Robert Skinner - 2018/04/06

Popped off the cart ...
and from which the shots in my 2018/05/18 14:20:31 UTC post above were excerpted - obviously.

The incident was precipitated by crap:
- training
- equipment
- final instructions from a way south of useless launch assistant
- misplaced trust in his highly experienced Wallaby aforementioned launch assistant

The sole comment from the film's star:
Popped off the cart ...
is ambiguous as it stands and with no other context one would assume that Robert meant the incident was precipitated by him popping off the cart. But in the first exchange of the twelve post discussion on his YouTube page he makes it clear that his best guess is that things started going seriously awry as a consequence of an ill timed thermal.

This speculated thermal:
- he states didn't affect the tug in the least (rather strangely)
- was noted by none of the:
-- three pilots involved in and responsible for getting him safely airborne:
--- himself, the Pilot In Command of the aircraft for which this operation exists
--- two Wallaby staff professionals, the unidentified:
---- 582 Dragonfly tug pilot - and Jim Keen-Intellect Rooney's definition of the Pilot In Command
---- highly experienced AT glider pilot launch director/assistant
-- AT glider pilots staging behind Robert (we know there was at least one - we can see a wingtip and we can see it move)

The launch director obviously checks wind indicators and advises:
Crossing from the left a bit.
as he's signaling the tug and in less than a second before the glider starts rolling. And we can clearly see both the glider's starboard nose wire streamer and the near red and yellow windflag indicating a rather substantial and steady left crosswind - the former up through commencement of launch and the latter until after the alleged shit has hit the fan - and there's everything to suggest that one would've had to have been LUCKY to find a thermal strong enough to feel and use to one's advantage ANYWHERE in those conditions.

And note that this:
The next day 3 out of 4 gliders on carts waiting to launch got flipped off the cart by a thermal rolling down the field.
is the best he can do to support this hypothesis that no others present are backing - despite the fact it would be in Wallaby's distinct interest to do so. "Yeah, AWESOME thermal conditions down here now! Look at the effect one of them had on this glider last Saturday before he'd cleared twenty feet just off the cart!" Nothing's their fault and dangerous thermal and dust devil launch conditions don't scare glider pilots off. They attract them like flies from all corners of the planet.

Wallaby knows EXACTLY what happened and why and wants it noticed and discussed as little as possible. This was a short but, initially, fairly violent PIO by a semipro toad somewhat reminiscent of Holly's first and last experimentation with untrimmed aerotowing at Manquin on 2005/05/29.

I really like watching good semipro toad videos 'cause unlike any other flavor of any form of hang glider towing you can really see what's going on with the tow tension at all times. The higher the tension the sharper the angle formed at the connection (carabiner) of the glider and harness suspension. I'm sure that if you knew the weight of the pilot on a given glider/harness configuration you'd be able to calculate the towline tension based on the measured angle. Watch what's going on in the series.

01-0813
- 01 - chronological order
- 08 - seconds
- 13 - frame (30 fps)

Note:
- wingtip of staging glider / conspicuously unidentified and silent substantially qualified eyewitness.
- starboard nose wire streamer over assistant's shoulder less than a second prior to beginning of roll

01-0813
http://c1.staticflickr.com/1/966/41460447564_ec1bb904de_o.png

Note assistant staying on sidewire as glider accelerates. Compare/Contrast with the way launches were being conducted up the road at Quest prior to the 2018/03/23 Westmoreland incident shortly before during the Green Swamp Sport Klassic.

02-1013
http://c1.staticflickr.com/1/903/28308712708_dbd67864d2_o.png
03-1116
http://c1.staticflickr.com/1/826/41460446834_3d48f1fba3_o.png
04-1123
http://c1.staticflickr.com/1/958/41460446464_5135496793_o.png
05-1129
http://c1.staticflickr.com/1/829/41460445284_aa6b9ef715_o.png

Windflag. Tug appears to be still groundbound - as one would expect for a bit after glider lifts off.

06-1316
http://c1.staticflickr.com/1/959/42181255731_cd4beaf9b5_o.png

Keel lifted out of cradle...

07-1406
http://c1.staticflickr.com/1/968/41460444664_3f4a1e3032_o.png

...A LITTLE. Still pushed out / following (nonsensical) orders.

08-1512
http://c1.staticflickr.com/1/944/42181254471_eafa89b54f_o.png

Lifting off of cart STRAIGHT UP relative to it, rather than sliding forward. Letting hold-downs slip through his grips. Not using the Jim Keen-Intellect Rooney approved 582 AT launch dolly wheelie technique (that nobody with half a brain or better does more than twice after having been instructed to by some AT instructor total moron).

09-1606
http://c1.staticflickr.com/1/829/41460443984_f80db8e3e8_o.png
10-1617
http://c1.staticflickr.com/1/832/42181252181_3dc545c1fb_o.png

Good job, Robert. You made cart retrieval real easy for someone.

11-1700
http://c1.staticflickr.com/1/970/41280650175_96c66444d8_o.png

Windflag.

12-1704
http://c1.staticflickr.com/1/823/41280649535_3cfbc7a32d_o.png

High over the bar, still not pulled in.

13-1715
http://c1.staticflickr.com/1/907/42181249721_4d410efe59_o.png

FINALLY starting to pull in. Glider significantly rolled, first oscillation (to port) is commencing. Pilot exerting correcting input. Use the URL to go to full res and check out the windflag. Still substantial smooth steady left cross.

14-1727
http://c1.staticflickr.com/1/912/41280647985_0f3c6397c0_o.png

Bar fully stuffed, harness in contact with port rear flying wire. Note the position of the suspension spreader. A third of the way down from the keel to the carabiner. Very well thought out 'cause the keel's much more susceptible to being crushed than the top of the carabiner is and thus the protection is portioned out roughly in accordance with the need of the components. (Nice to see you getting these concepts through to your student and visiting pilots, Wallaby.)

15-1803
http://c1.staticflickr.com/1/953/42181248861_265b7af8e2_o.png

Bar fully stuffed, glider badly rolled, harness pressing against and bending port rear flying wire.

16-1812
http://c1.staticflickr.com/1/912/41280647345_07b0afa822_o.png

All of the above and worse, bringing knees forward inside harness. First (port) oscillation maxed out.

17-1821

Knees starting to protrude from pod.

This glider is for almost all intents and purposes LOCKED OUT. He's totally at the stops of all his control authority - arms locked back, knees balled forward, pressing hard on the port tail wire fighting the roll, glider not coming back in the desired roll correction. If the ground were a little higher, his driver were to make a good decision in the interest of his safety, Jim Keen-Intellect Rooney had fixed whatever was going on back there, the focal point of his safe towing system had increased the safety of the towing operation, Joe Gregor would've written that there was no evidence that the pilot made an attempt to release from tow prior to impact. The gate had been found closed on his Wallaby-style tow release. This would've been a classic solid lockout fatality.

But because he has just enough in the way of altitude, time, thrust, airspeed, altitude, weight, muscle, control authority to pull it out with a little margin to spare...

18-1903
http://c1.staticflickr.com/1/963/40373977440_faf1e5088b_o.png

More knees.

19-1912
http://c1.staticflickr.com/1/831/41280645295_1def689ff5_o.png
20-1920
http://c1.staticflickr.com/1/961/40373976490_49783570ff_o.png
21-1927
http://c1.staticflickr.com/1/968/41280644535_f2afe7b9ac_o.png

Glider maxed out in the second (starboard) roll oscillation. And now we can start thinking about starting to breathe a little again. Not ACTUALLY breathe quite yet 'cause we're still thinking about the focal point of our safe towing system kicking in. We're, of course, no longer permitted to mention it in any discussion if we live long enough... But we still know that it's there, constantly lurking and awaiting the perfect moment to increase the safety of the towing operation.

22-2003
http://c1.staticflickr.com/1/943/41280644105_03ed62b309_o.png

And of course another major problem with the aerotow weak link is that we've all had tandem training in smooth air at two thousand feet to certify us as a capable of responding to the inconvenience. That way when we wind up dead as a consequences of our weak link having won the argument about it always breaking at the worst possible time, when we're were climbing hard in a near stall situation, the weak link won't have been the issue. Our failure to respond properly as we were properly trained and certified to - right after the safety of the towing operation has been radically increased in fact, will have been.

23-2009
http://c1.staticflickr.com/1/966/40373974000_8528e53655_o.png
24-2022
http://c1.staticflickr.com/1/832/40373973570_9474eb33b4_o.png
25-2107
http://c1.staticflickr.com/1/947/41280642345_e01373505c_o.png
26-2127
http://c1.staticflickr.com/1/903/40373973010_3f97f2ef2e_o.png

Max tow tension - as best as I can tell - of the posted flight sequence. Compare/Contrast with just how much suspension bend we see back at 17-1821 and 21-1927 with our glider standing on its ear and our shadow getting very big and very black if you wanna get a good feel for just how much correlation there is between tow tension and lockout severity. And bear in mind that tow tension goes way the fuck down with the bar pulled in and the dramatic opposite with it pushed out and that it this point he has the bar pretty well stuffed.

27-2215
http://c1.staticflickr.com/1/964/41280641665_fcaf1da360_o.png
28-2305
http://c1.staticflickr.com/1/951/41280641295_6a2962d1d5_o.png

Glider maxed out in the end of third (port) oscillation cycle.

29-2320
http://c1.staticflickr.com/1/962/41280640225_96f1878783_o.png
30-2417
http://c1.staticflickr.com/1/973/40373970460_d3705febb3_o.png

Still pulled in pretty good and showing a bit o' knee.

31-2502
http://c1.staticflickr.com/1/826/40373969820_b832f97978_o.png

End of fourth (starboard) mild oscillation cycle. Glider's under essentially full control - for the first time again since right after having elevatored out of the cart - from this point on.

32-2600
http://c1.staticflickr.com/1/979/41460438224_63cc6f41cb_o.png
33-2702
http://c1.staticflickr.com/1/967/42181238791_2fbd11120d_o.png

Hope you realize and appreciate just how much your brave and strangely unidentified tug pilot put her personal safety and plane at risk to allow you the luxury of getting your shit together and flying out of this one totally unscathed, Richard. Not to mention the tow pressures her tow mast breakaway and tow mast breakaway protector and the focal point of your safe towing system had to endure.

34-2805
http://c1.staticflickr.com/1/826/41460437604_8506a64cc6_o.png

If you really wanna SHOW some appreciation you should post this video on the Jack and Davis Shows where LOTSA people will see it and better understand what a top quality program these top quality...

35-2819
http://c1.staticflickr.com/1/954/42181238221_55098f4139_o.png
Tormod Helgesen

"Don't pull in or you stay on the cart to long" WTF! Does this operation TRY to kill People?
36-2916
http://c1.staticflickr.com/1/977/41460437144_1ed8c94874_o.png

...pilots and instructors are delivering.

37-3115
http://c1.staticflickr.com/1/965/41460436424_e757067d78_o.png

Wallaby Ranch, right?

38-3306
http://c1.staticflickr.com/1/829/27309745997_a8e3031fe8_o.png

And you can still see the strongest, smooth, steady, left cross on the far windflag without having to go full res.

39-3600
http://c1.staticflickr.com/1/824/27309745567_25c617f971_o.png

Gawd it's AMAZING to be able to get our hands on, dissect, analyze material like this and see what's really going on, figure out who the players are. Just over twenty years ago the Flight Park Mafia industry contracted Dennis to publish his excellent syndicate infomercial. They typed on paper the reality they wanted to sell us, excluded all the real world ugliness, line drew the reality that strangely couldn't ever be captured on film.

No fuckin' way assholes like that can get away with any of that bullshit in today's reality - where we can rip things to shreds one pixel at a time if we need to. We're now in a world in which the best they can do is keep their mouths totally shut as much as possible.

Jump to top:
http://www.kitestrings.org/post10987.html#p10987
Steve Davy

Post by Steve Davy »

You're just hooking up to your carabiner 'cause of the convenience consideration.
Possibly, but Wills Wing does specify that setup on the U2 and Talon.
<BS>

Post by <BS> »

I noticed the stills weren't posted in advance this time. Although the subsequent one shows more dramatic control inputs and what looks like a closer proximity to the ground, this is my favorite.

17-1821

19-1912
http://c1.staticflickr.com/1/831/41280645295_1def689ff5_o.png

P.S. Interesting how the framing changes due to camera mounting/area flexing.