Weak links

General discussion about the sport of hang gliding
Tad Eareckson

Re: Weak links

Post by Tad Eareckson »

http://ozreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=24846
Is this a joke ?
Jim Rooney - 2011/08/26 08:24:31 UTC

Thought I already answered that one... instead of quoting myself (have a look back if you don't believe me), I'll just reiterate it.

I don't advocate anything.
I use what we use at the flight parks. It's time tested and proven... and works a hell of a lot better than all the other bullshit I've seen out there.

130lb greenspot (greenspun?) cortland fishing line.
In stock at Quest, Highland, Eastern Shore, Kitty Hawk Kites, Florida Ridge, and I'm pretty sure Wallaby, Lookout and Morningside.
Not sure what Tracy up at Cloud Nine uses, but I'll put bets on the same.

Did I miss any?
Is it clear what I mean by "We"?
I didn't make the system up.
And I'm not so arrogant to think that my precious little ideas are going to magically revolutionise the industry.
There are far smarter people than me working this out.
I know, I've worked with them.
(Bobby's a fucking genius when it comes to this shit... for example.)
Jim Rooney - 2011/08/28 10:40:24 UTC

Hi Tormod.
Oh, not at all.
I think what you're picking up on is my lack of willingness to discuss this with people that have already made up their minds.
Sorry for that, but it's just the nature of the beast.

I have no issue with discussing this with people that don't have an agenda.
I get very short with people that do however.

Am I "certain" about anything?
Nope.
However, some things get real obvious when you're doing them all the time. One is that weaklinks do in fact save people's asses.
You're 100% onto it... relying on the skill of the pilot is a numbers game that you'll lose at some point.

I find that so many people do not appreciate how fast and furious lockouts can happen.
They're exponential in nature.
Twice the time doesn't equate to twice the "bad"... it's four times the "bad"... then 16... it gets dramatic fast.

Is a weaklink going to save your ass? Who knows? But it's nice to stack the deck in your favour.

Now flip the argument and you start to see the devil.
A glider can take a whole shitload more force than a weaklink can.
So, if you're of the "sole purpose" cult, then you see no issue with a LOT stronger weaklink.

Well, it won't take long with that system before we've got a lot more dead pilots out there.
So they can stuff their philosophical purity bs... cuz I have no desire to tow someone to their death, no matter how willing they may be.

I'm not playing with this stuff in my head and just dismissing it. There's been a lot that's gone into this system.

I've seen too many people walk the "strong link" road only to find out the reality of things.
Fortunately, they've been unscathed, but there have been a lot of soiled underpants in the process.

I'm happy to discuss this stuff.
But I'm sick to death of arguing about it.
Jim Rooney - 2011/08/28 19:39:17 UTC

Weak links break for all kinds of reasons.
Some obvious, some not.

The general consensus is the age old adage... "err on the side of caution".

The frustration of a weaklink break is just that, frustration.
And it can be very frustrating for sure. Especially on a good day, which they tend to be. It seems to be a Murphy favourite. You'll be in a long tug line on a stellar day just itching to fly. The stars are all lining up when *bam*, out of nowhere your trip to happy XC land goes up in a flash. Now you've got to hike it all the way back to the back of the line and wait as the "perfect" window drifts on by.

I get it.
It can be a pisser.

But the "other side"... the not cautions one... is not one of frustration, it's one of very real danger.
Better to be frustrated than in a hospital, or worse.
No exaggeration... this is the fire that the "other side" is made of. Best not to play with it.
Jim Rooney - 2011/08/31 09:25:57 UTC

Oh how many times I have to hear this stuff.
I've had these exact same arguments for years and years and years.
Nothing about them changes except the new faces spouting them.

It's the same as arguing with the rookie suffering from intermediate syndrome.
They've already made up their mind and only hear that which supports their opinion.

Only later, when we're visiting them in the hospital can they begin to hear what we've told them all along.

Nobody's talking about 130lb weaklinks? (oh please)
Many reasons.
Couple of 'em for ya... they're manufactured, cheap and identifiable.

See, you don't get to hook up to my plane with whatever you please. Not only am I on the other end of that rope... and you have zero say in my safety margins... I have no desire what so ever to have a pilot smashing himself into the earth on my watch. So yeah, if you show up with some non-standard gear, I won't be towing you. Love it or leave it. I don't care.

So please, find me something... that you didn't make... that I can go out and buy from a store... that's rated and quality controlled... that fits your desire for a "non one size fits all" model, and *maybe* we can talk.
But you see... I'm the guy you've got to convince.
(or whoever your tug pilot may be... but we all tend to have a similar opinion about this)

You've not heard about strong-link incidents.
Uh, yeah... cuz we don't let you use them.

"light" weaklink issues?
"I had to land"... boo hoo.
Oh, I thought of an other one... I smashed into the earth after my weaklink let go cuz I fly as badly as I tow, and I'm only still here cuz my weaklink didn't let me pile in harder.

Your anecdotal opinion is supposed to sway me?
You forget, every tow flight you take requires a tug pilot... we see EVERY tow.
We know who the rockstars are and who the muppets are.
Do you have any idea how few of us there are?
You think we don't talk?
I'll take our opinion over yours any day of the week.

Ok, I'm tired of this.
I'm not really sure who you're trying to convince.
Again, I don't care to argue this stuff.
I'll answer actual questions if you're keen to actually hear the answers, but arguing with me? Really? Have fun with that.

Gimme a call when you think of something that we haven't already been through years ago... cuz to date, you have yet to come up with anything new. Well, maybe it's new to you I guess. It's old as dirt to me though.
http://ozreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=30971
Zach Marzec
Jim Rooney - 2013/02/12 18:00:27 UTC

Your second statement is why.
I just buried my friend and you want me to have a nice little discussion about pure speculation about his accident so that some dude that's got a pet project wants to push his theories?

Deltaman loves his mouth release.
BFD

I get tired as hell "refuting" all these mouth release and "strong link" arguments. Dig through the forums if you want that. I've been doing it for years but unfortunately the peddlers are religious in their beliefs so they find justification any way they can to "prove" their stuff. This is known as "Confirmation Bias"... seeking data to support your theory... it's back-asswards. Guess what? The shit doesn't work. If it did, we'd be using it everywhere. But it doesn't stand the test of reality.

AT isn't new. This stuff's been worked on and worked over for years and thousands upon thousands of tows. I love all these egomaniacs that jump up and decide that they're going to "fix" things, as if no one else has ever thought of this stuff?

But back to the root of my anger... speculation.
Much like confirmation bias, he's come here to shoehorn his pet little project into a discussion. Please take your snake oil and go elsewhere.

Tune him up?
Yeah, sorry... no.
Jim Rooney - 2013/03/07 18:24:58 UTC

You're the one advocating change here, not me.
I'm fine.

These are only questions if you're advocating change. Which I'm not. You are.

You're the one speculating on Zack's death... not me.
Hell, you've even already come to your conclusions... you've made up your mind and you "know" what happened and what to do about.
It's disgusting and you need to stop.
You weren't there. You don't know.
All you have is the tug pilot report, who himself says he doesn't know... and HE WAS THERE... and he doesn't know.

Ever heard of "Confirmation Bias"?
Because you're a textbook example.
You were out looking for data to support your preconceived conclusion, rather than looking at the data and seeing what it tells you... which is why this is the first time we've heard from you and your gang.

Go back to Tad's hole in the ground.
While you're there, ask him why he was banned from every east coast flying site.
http://ozreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=31052
Poll on weaklinks
Jim Rooney - 2013/03/03 19:37:19 UTC

My response is short because I've been saying it for years... and yes, I'm a bit sick of it.
This is a very old horse and has been beaten to death time and time again... by a very vocal minority.

See, most people are happy with how we do things. This isn't an issue for them. They just come out and fly. Thing's aren't perfect, but that's life... and life ain't perfect. You do what you can with what you've got and you move on.

But then there's a crowd that "knows better". To them, we're all morons that can't see "the truth".
(Holy god, the names I've been called.)

I have little time for these people.

It saddens me to know that the rantings of the fanatic fringe mask the few people who are actually working on things. The fanaticism makes it extremely hard to have a conversation about these things as they always degrade into arguments. So I save the actual conversations for when I'm talking with people in person.

A fun saying that I picked up... Some people listen with the intent of understanding. Others with the intent of responding.
I like that.

For fun... if you're not seeing what I mean... try having a conversation here about wheels.
Well, Mister Jim Keen-Intellect Know-It-All Rooney...

http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=31717
Weak link?
Davis Straub - 2014/08/20 19:48:26 UTC

Many of us are now using 200 lb test line from Cortland.
It appears that the work of the few who've actually been working on things has finally been unmasked. After over a couple decades worth of Standard Aerotow Weak Link hell they've decided they'd be happy with a weak link 54 percent heavier than what had been previously worked out through quite literally hundreds of thousands of tows worth of trail and error by numerous aerotow operators across the county.

That's it, right? Or can you name some other development that's come out of The Aerotow Industry since Bobby Fucking-Genius Bailey first decided that a downtube would be a great place to velcro on a bicycle brake release actuator and a bent parachute pin would make a great core mechanism for a lever based release?

You shackled yourself to the biggest, longest, most successful scam that's ever been perpetrated on any flavor of aviation. Hope you enjoyed the ride and feel that it was worth the crash and burn at its end.

Your reputation is now solidly in the toilet right where it - and you - have always belonged. No longer are the vegetables infesting this sport the least bit interested in any of your opinions on this issue and they're also now gonna be highly suspicious of all the other crap you've been spewing on other issues. Your favorite boyfriend Davis is toast as well. And things aren't gonna get any better for either of you as it becomes blindingly obvious that the promised stronglink induced death and destruction is never gonna happen - same way it doesn't with sailplanes that fly with stronglinks that never break.

Ultimately, people want at least some pretense of understanding what they're doing and "trust us, we know what we're doing", "we're happy with this", "weak link breaks are mere inconveniences" aren't cutting it any more. The people from Tad's Hole In The Ground are now firmly in control of the conversation and the idea of a weak link as an overload protector varying in proportion to the load capacity of the glider is starting to catch on - seeing as how it's the only one that actually makes sense.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

Weak link?

Hey Davis...

Is this a joke ?
Davis Straub - 2011/08/26 14:04:52 UTC

We had six weaklink breaks in a row at Zapata this year. Russell Brown (tug pilot, tug owner, Quest Air owner) said go ahead and double up (four strands of Cortland Greenspot). He knows I used his Zapata weaklink in Big Spring (pilots were asked to tell the tug pilot if they were doing that).
Jim Rooney - 2011/08/26 17:34:33 UTC

Do NOT skip this little bit...
pilots were asked to tell the tug pilot if they were doing thatpilots were asked to tell the tug pilot if they were doing that
See, Russel knows what's up.
He knows that you're changing the equation and because of this, you need to ask the tug pilot.
Davis Straub - 2011/08/28 15:26:28 UTC

Then again, Russell Brown had us double up behind him after six breaks in a row at Zapata. We couldn't figure out why we had so many breaks so quickly. Maybe just coincidence.
Zach Marzec
Davis Straub - 2013/02/09 16:45:39 UTC

I am more than happy to have a stronger weaklink and often fly with the string used for weaklinks used at Wallaby Ranch for tandem flights (orange string - 200 lbs). We used these with Russell Brown's (tug owner and pilot) approval at Zapata after we kept breaking weaklink in light conditions in morning flights.
Do we still need to run up to our tug drivers and let them know we're using dangerous stronglinks so's they can adjust their flight plans accordingly?

http://ozreport.com/forum/files/2_264.jpg
Steve Davy

Post by Steve Davy »

http://ozreport.com/supporters.php
Davis has been flying hang gliders since 1984, and has been competing since 1989.
I wonder how many decades it'll take for Davis to figure out that his release can't handle a two hundred pound weak link.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

What's it matter?

http://ozreport.com/pub/images/fingerlakesaccident2.jpg
http://ozreport.com/pub/images/fingerlakesaccident3.jpg

He doesn't use releases that can actually be used as releases anyway.

http://ozreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=31052
Poll on weaklinks
Jim Rooney - 2013/03/10 22:58:21 UTC

I'm not bothered by straight pin releases.
I do think the strong link guys gravitate to them due to the higher release tensions that strong links can encounter.
I don't like homade stuff.
I so hope one of these stupid pin benders at least has the crap scared out of him. Probably better if he lives - otherwise it gets written off as "just froze", "no evidence that the pilot made an attempt to release from tow prior to the weak link break, the gate was found closed on the Wallaby-style tow release".
<BS>

Post by <BS> »

Davis Straub - 2011/08/26 14:04:52 UTC

We had six weaklink breaks in a row at Zapata this year. Russell Brown (tug pilot, tug owner, Quest Air owner) said go ahead and double up (four strands of Cortland Greenspot). He knows I used his Zapata weaklink in Big Spring (pilots were asked to tell the tug pilot if they were doing that).
What changes do tug pilots make when they're informed of this? Do they make the same changes for tandem tows?
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

They make a mental note so that if the the engine seizes on the tug or the glider flies into the powerlines three hours later and a hundred miles downwind they can blame it on the Tad-O-Link.

Original response:
http://www.kitestrings.org/post698.html#p698
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

http://ozreport.com/3.066
Weaklinks
Davis Straub - 1999/06/06

A few weeks later I was speaking with Rhett Radford at Wallaby Ranch about weaklinks and the issue of more powerful engines, and he felt that stronger weaklinks (unlike those used at Wallaby or Quest) were needed. He suggested between five and ten pounds of additional breaking strength.
Aw, fuckit Davis...

http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=31747
Lockout
Davis Straub - 2014/09/01 15:22:41 UTC

I can tell you that I fly with a 200lb weaklink on one side of my 750lb pro tow bridle. I am happy with it.
Just fly with 130 for another fifteen years and then decide you're happy with jacking it up seventy pounds (twice that towline).

Trail and error my ass.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

Lockout
Davis Straub - 2014/08/29 14:50:20 UTC

From the link to the Oz Report forum above: Jim Rooney - "The "purpose" of a weak link is to improve your odds of survival when things go wrong."
As long as we're quoting the Patron Saint of the Standard Aerotow Weak Link, Davis...

Is this a joke ?
Jim Rooney - 2011/08/28 10:40:24 UTC

Hi Tormod.
Oh, not at all.
I think what you're picking up on is my lack of willingness to discuss this with people that have already made up their minds.
Sorry for that, but it's just the nature of the beast.

I have no issue with discussing this with people that don't have an agenda.
I get very short with people that do however.

Am I "certain" about anything?
Nope.
However, some things get real obvious when you're doing them all the time. One is that weaklinks do in fact save people's asses.
You're 100% onto it... relying on the skill of the pilot is a numbers game that you'll lose at some point.

I find that so many people do not appreciate how fast and furious lockouts can happen.
They're exponential in nature.
Twice the time doesn't equate to twice the "bad"... it's four times the "bad"... then 16... it gets dramatic fast.

Is a weaklink going to save your ass? Who knows? But it's nice to stack the deck in your favour.

Now flip the argument and you start to see the devil.
A glider can take a whole shitload more force than a weaklink can.
So, if you're of the "sole purpose" cult, then you see no issue with a LOT stronger weaklink.

Well, it won't take long with that system before we've got a lot more dead pilots out there.
So they can stuff their philosophical purity bs... cuz I have no desire to tow someone to their death, no matter how willing they may be.

I'm not playing with this stuff in my head and just dismissing it. There's been a lot that's gone into this system.

I've seen too many people walk the "strong link" road only to find out the reality of things.
Fortunately, they've been unscathed, but there have been a lot of soiled underpants in the process.

I'm happy to discuss this stuff.
But I'm sick to death of arguing about it.
Weak link?

Lockout
Davis Straub - 2014/09/01 15:22:41 UTC

I can tell you that I fly with a 200lb weaklink on one side of my 750lb pro tow bridle. I am happy with it.
So now many of us are now using 200 pound test line from Cortland, which, if you do the arithmetic is a LOT stronger than 130, for the sole reason that you're happy with it - not because it has the slightest positive effect on the safety of the towing operation.

And we know beyond any doubt from your Davis Show resident expert on weak links - world renowned for his keen intellect - that it won't take long with that system before we've got a lot more dead pilots out there.

How can you possibly justify putting a system into the air that will result in a sharp increase in the fatality rate? What are you saying? Seeing more people killed makes you HAPPY?

Zach Marzec
Davis Straub - 2013/02/13 15:45:22 UTC

IMHO aerotowing is relatively safe compared with foot launching. I would certainly like to make it safer. What we would all like to know is what could we do to make it safer.

We have no agreement that a stronger weaklink would make it safer (again, I fly with a slightly stronger weaklink).
We have no agreement that a stronger weak link would make it SAFER?! We have perhaps the world's leading authority on aerotowing, the one you endorse as the go-to weak link guy, screaming at us that it'll do the polar opposite, which we know from quite literally hundreds of thousands of tows worth of trail and error by numerous aerotow operators across the county as well as just plain common sense, to be indisputable fact.

http://ozreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=25015
Zippy pounds in
Davis Straub - 2011/09/02 18:37:09 UTC

Concussions are in fact very serious and have life long effects. The last time I was knocked out what in 9th grade football. I have felt the effects of that ever since. It changes your wiring.
Untold thousands of glider folk have been feeling the effects of your serious and lifelong altered wiring. Maybe it's time you shut the fuck up and found another hobby that involves fewer dimensions.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=31861
Aerotowing Bösingen
Andre van der Lingen - 2014/09/22 21:37:48 UTC
The Netherlands

Hi guys/girls,

after some mountain and winch towing starts in order to gain my H2 license this was our chance to try aerotowing for the first time. Thanks to the effective safety precautions (a fin for my Icaro Orbiter and V-bridles for the single surface wings)...
- Pussy single surfacers. Can't even pro tow.
- And, of course, a standard aerotow fracture piece to increase the safety of the towing operation.
...and great instruction...
By some obviously really great instructors.
...we managed to get 8 safe flights...
...one of them REALLY safe...
...across two days of flying.

It was tricky at first getting used to the more direct response to steering input at higher speeds...
With the double surface pro toads stuffing the bar just to stay level with the tug right out of the cart and all the way up.
...but in the end I loved every second of it.
Great!

15-03714
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3897/14571089821_0ec493e856_o.png
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3713/9655904048_89cce6423a_o.png
37-23223

:D
I'd like to share some of it with you:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWdiKaDCzvg

Happy landings!
2:39
WHOA! dat was het breukstukje.
WHOA! The standard aerotow fracture piece just increased the safety of the towing operation.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=31861
Aerotowing Bösingen
Andre van der Lingen - 2014/09/22 21:37:48 UTC
The Netherlands

Hi guys/girls,

after some mountain and winch towing starts in order to gain my H2 license this was our chance to try aerotowing for the first time. Thanks to the effective safety precautions (a fin for my Icaro Orbiter and V-bridles for the single surface wings)and great instruction we managed to get 8 safe flights across two days of flying.

It was tricky at first getting used to the more direct response to steering input at higher speeds but in the end I loved every second of it. I'd like to share some of it with you:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWdiKaDCzvg

Happy landings!
01-03824
- 01 - chronological order
- -0 - minutes
- 38 - seconds
- 24 - frame (25 fps)

That's a pretty good two stage release and piece o' crap aerotow release.

01-03824
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2944/15153707317_37080d5385_o.png

First ever aerotow? Pro toad? No tandem training from Dr. Trisa Tilletti? If you survive this one it'll be a total miracle. I certainly hope you're using an appropriate fracture piece with a finished length of 1.5 inches or less.

02-10615
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3857/15153655588_913de98a81_o.png
03-10818
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2942/15153706767_427654f991_o.png

Wow. Made it all the way to the top. Lucky bastard.

04-12200
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2944/15317206226_368ec79af2_o.png

That's a wee bit forward of where the bar should've been trimmed for when you were behind the tug.

05-13814
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3917/15340245855_8d044897bd_o.png
06-14109
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3915/15339931692_d32907dded_o.png

Do you ever worry about needing to pour on a lot more speed than you have right now just coming off the cart and how you're gonna accomplish that?

07-23504
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2943/15153535090_b44a84d6d9_o.png

Uh oh. You're headed for a lockout, buddy. Don't make the mistake of thinking you can fix a bad thing and staying on just 'cause you don't wanna start over. ALWAYS RELEASE THE TOWLINE before there is a problem.

08-23908
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3891/15317205246_8c3264de5d_o.png
09-23909
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3922/15339930722_18a28b163e_o.png
10-23910
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3873/15340244775_0bbcaf7ae5_o.png

There. Your appropriate fracture piece with a finished length of 1.5 inches or less just saved your ass. If you'd been using a Tad-O-Link or one of those Cortland two hundred pound stronglinks Davis and many of us are now happy with you'd have been dead by now.

11-23911
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2944/15337063791_d359cd7e56_o.png

Notice above that the line isn't accelerating away with the tug - it's recoiling back towards the glider. These morons are using an eighteen foot "leader" aft of the fracture piece on the end of the towline. The towline is dark and small diameter and invisible in just about all of the footage. The leader is thick and white and easily visible.

12-30616
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3873/15339930072_6501c43974_o.png
13-30913
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3847/15317204276_262b914d7d_o.png
14-31109
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3931/15153533120_6d252c41b4_o.png
15-31312
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3857/15340243415_cd1ea3d902_o.png

Here you can JUST see it against the trees.

16-32023
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3911/15153472809_c1897b71b9_o.png
17-33824
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2943/15153651958_32fa510a99_o.png

All the way to altitude again. The human on the glider gets to make the decision to cut the power.

18-33903
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2944/15153651708_9c66f82408_o.png

Oops! The appropriate fracture piece with a finished length of 1.5 inches or less just increased the safety of the towing operation and dumped the eighteen foot leader into some farm field. (How the fracture piece managed to blow at the precise instant the release was blown I have no fuckin' clue. Any ideas?)

19-33914
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2944/15153702477_2345abb54f_o.png

I think these morons are using a high strength, low diameter, zilch stretch towline and a high stretch leader to keep the towline from acting somewhat like an impact wrench on their idiot fucking DHV fracture piece.

20-34521
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2944/15339927392_ac34d12b80_o.png

Another dope on a rope going up.

21-44316
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2943/15153471479_7d9f00d6de_o.png

Good view of most of the Dragonfly control system. I wonder if we'll ever be able to get a straight answer about what occasionally goes wrong with it and kills Keavy Nenningers and Mark Knights.

22-52818
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3920/15153530750_e86864a8db_o.png