Tad Eareckson

Re: Weak links

Post by Tad Eareckson »

http://ozreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=30971
Zach Marzec
A tumble at very low altitude
Paul Tjaden - 2013/02/07 23:47:58 UTC
Quest Air, Groveland, Florida

A few days ago I promised that I would write a more complete accident report regarding the tragic hang gliding accident we recently had at Quest Air resulting in the death of our good friend, Zach Marzec. I do want to warn you in advance that there will be no great revelations from what you already know. Many times Zach flew with a video camera which could have possibly told us more but on this occasion he did not.

The weather conditions seemed quite benign. It was a typical winter day in central Florida with sunny skies, moderate temperatures and a light south west wind. It was, however, a high pressure, dry air day that sometimes creates punchy conditions with small, tight, strong thermals versus the big fat soft ones that Florida is famous for. Time of day was approximately 3:00. None of these conditions were even slightly alarming or would have caused any concern about launching.

Zach Marzec was an advanced rated pilot who was a tandem instructor for Kitty Hawk Kites where he logged a huge number of aerotow flights. He was current (flying every day) and was flying his personal glider that he was very familiar with and had towed many times. Sorry, I do not have specific numbers of hours or flights logged but experience does not appear to have been an issue.

The glider was a Moyes Xtralite. This glider was a fairly old design. I believe the last ones built were in the mid 1990's, but it was in good, airworthy condition and rigged properly. I know of no reports that this glider is difficult to tow or has any deficiencies for aero towing but I am not an expert on it and have never flown one. The glider hit base tube first and sustained very little damage upon impact so it was easy to ascertain that the glider did not appear to have had any structural failure that would have caused the accident.

The tow aircraft was a Moyes Dragonfly with a 914 Rotax engine and was piloted by a highly experienced tow pilot. The tow line was approximately 250 feet long which is standard and Zach was using the “pro tow” method where the tow line is attached directly to a bridle on the pilot's harness and is not attached to the glider at all. A standard 130 pound test weak link was being used.

Another pilot had launched with no issues immediately before the accident. The launch started on the main runway at the north end (2,000 feet long) and was normal until at approximately 50 feet in altitude when the tow plane hit extremely strong lift elevating it quickly and abruptly. Because of the length of the tow line, it was a few seconds later when Zach's glider entered the same strong lift and he was at an estimated 100 to 150 feet in altitude at this time. When the lift/turbulence was encountered, the weak link on the tow line broke as the nose of the glider pitched up quickly to a very high angle of attack. Apparently, the glider stalled or possibly did a short tail slide and then stalled and then nosed down and tumbled. Eye witnesses said the glider tumbled twice and then struck the ground with the base tube low. Due to the extremely low altitude, there was no time for the pilot to deploy his reserve parachute.

Zach was conscious immediately after the accident but died in route to the hospital.

Beyond these facts anything else would be pure speculation. I have personally had numerous weak link breaks on tow, both low and high, after hitting turbulence and have never felt in danger of a tumble. I have witnessed countless others have weak link breaks with no serious problems. We train aero tow pilots how to handle this situation and I am certain that Zach had also encountered this situation many times before and knew how to react properly. Apparently, Zach simply hit strong low level turbulence, probably a dust devil that could not be seen due to the lack of dust in Florida, the nose went too high and he tumbled at a very low altitude.

Strong dust devils in Florida definitely do exist even though they are rare. My wife had a near miss when she encountered a severe dusty a couple years ago and I almost lost a brand new $18,000 ATOS VX when it was torn from its tie down and thrown upside down.

I wish I could shed more light on this accident but I am afraid this is all we know and probably will know. Zach was a great guy with an incredible outlook and zest for life. He will be sorely missed.
A few days ago I promised that I would write a more complete accident report regarding the tragic hang gliding accident...
The tragic hang gliding WHAT?
...we recently had at Quest Air resulting in the death of our good friend, Zach Marzec.
Not so good a friend that you knew that he spelled his first name with a "k" - but do continue.
I do want to warn you in advance that there will be no great revelations from what you already know.
That's OK, Paul. The moment we heard "The weak link broke at around 150 feet or so..."
Manned Kiting
The Basic Handbook of Tow Launched Hang Gliding
Daniel F. Poynter

"The greatest dangers are a rope break or a premature release." - Richard Johnson
...we already had everything important we really needed to know.
Many times Zach flew with a video camera which could have possibly told us more but on this occasion he did not.
Too bad he didn't fly more times with equipment that was actually up to the job - but I guess videos were more of a priority.
The weather conditions seemed quite benign. It was a typical winter day in central Florida with sunny skies, moderate temperatures and a light south west wind. It was, however, a high pressure, dry air day that sometimes creates punchy conditions with small, tight, strong thermals versus the big fat soft ones that Florida is famous for. Time of day was approximately 3:00. None of these conditions were even slightly alarming or would have caused any concern about launching.
Ya know sumpin', Paul... ANY time you're aerotowing hang gliders in ANY thermal conditions the situation is moderately alarming and should cause as much concern about launching as you can muster. But you keep throwing gliders up on crap, best case scenario equipment with about a dozen extra ways to kill people already built into the system because you keep getting away with it.
Zach Marzec was an advanced rated pilot...
He had an Advanced rating. That didn't make him a pilot.
...who was a tandem instructor for Kitty Hawk Kites...
Great. Was he teaching everybody how to tie loops of 130 pound Greenspot and, when installing them on bridles, position the knot such that it's hidden from the main tension in the link and excluded altogether from the equation?
...where he logged a huge number of aerotow flights.
So...

http://ozreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=24846
Is this a joke ?
Jim Rooney - 2011/08/25 21:40:25 UTC

First, I sent Steve a bunch of info offline. Hopefully it clears things up a bit for him.
Unfortunately, he's stumbled onto some of Tad's old rantings and got suckered in. So most of this was just the same old story of debunking Tad's lunacy... again .

See, the thing is... "we", the people that work at and run aerotow parks, have a long track record.
He had a long track record.
He was current (flying every day) and was flying his personal glider that he was very familiar with and had towed many times. Sorry, I do not have specific numbers of hours or flights logged but experience does not appear to have been an issue.
And, of course, neither does the glider size or flying weight - so don't bother giving us those figures.
The glider was a Moyes Xtralite. This glider was a fairly old design. I believe the last ones built were in the mid 1990's, but it was in good, airworthy condition and rigged properly. I know of no reports that this glider is difficult to tow or has any deficiencies for aero towing but I am not an expert on it and have never flown one. The glider hit base tube first and sustained very little damage upon impact so it was easy to ascertain that the glider did not appear to have had any structural failure that would have caused the accident.
Well, it appears that your Quest Link did its job well and...
Davis Straub - 2011/07/31 17:55:25 UTC

To break under load before the glider does.
...broke under load before the glider did. Perfect track record, a proven system that works.
The tow aircraft was a Moyes Dragonfly with a 914 Rotax engine and was piloted by a highly experienced tow pilot.
And the reason you're not naming him is...?
The tow line was approximately 250 feet long which is standard and Zach was using the "pro tow" method...
Yeah, Paul, the good ol' "pro tow" method. You "pros" never cease to impress me.
...where the tow line is attached directly to a bridle on the pilot's harness and is not attached to the glider at all.
I really don't understand this "pro tow" action, Paul. Pretty obviously implies that it requires more skill to pilot the glider this way, otherwise everybody would be able to do it.
- Exactly what is this skill and how does one go about attaining it?
- Once one attains it I'm assuming he'll be just as safe flying that way in any situation as he would be flying two - sorry - THREE point?
A standard 130 pound test weak link was being used.
Fuckin' asshole.
Another pilot...
Mark Frutiger. What's the point in not identifying him? *©
...had launched with no issues immediately before the accident.
He HAD issues - as does everyone who launches behind a Dragonfly and/or with any Industry Standard equipment, especially if he's a "pro". But he got away with them because things didn't line up badly enough for them to come into play.
The launch started on the main runway at the north end (2,000 feet long) and was normal until at approximately 50 feet in altitude when the tow plane hit extremely strong lift elevating it quickly and abruptly.
But not so quickly and abruptly that either of the people in the air thought it advisable to abort the tow.
Because of the length of the tow line, it was a few seconds later when Zach's glider entered the same strong lift and he was at an estimated 100 to 150 feet in altitude at this time. When the lift/turbulence was encountered, the weak link on the tow line...
What the fuck does that mean? You guys don't use weak links on towline ends. There's a weak link above the Dragonfly's tow ring and a weak link at the end of the one point bridle which engages the single bent pin barrel release on Zack's right shoulder.
...broke as the nose of the glider pitched up quickly to a very high angle of attack.
How very odd. I'd a thunk that a pro like Zack coulda held the nose down better than that.
Apparently, the glider stalled or possibly did a short tail slide and then stalled and then nosed down and tumbled.
Instead of continuing to climb until Zack got things stabilized, flew through the thermal, and continued the tow - as he would've had no problem doing if you fucking morons weren't so keen on using a chintzy piece of fishing line as the focal point of your safe towing system.
Eye witnesses said the glider tumbled twice and then struck the ground with the base tube low.
Lost interest the instant the Quest lockout protector blew.
Due to the extremely low altitude, there was no time for the pilot to deploy his reserve parachute.

Zach was conscious immediately after the accident but died in route to the hospital.

Beyond these facts anything else would be pure speculation. I have personally had numerous weak link breaks on tow, both low and high, after hitting turbulence...
No shit...

http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=26870
weak links
michael170 - 2012/08/17 17:01:40 UTC

Zack, let me see if I understand your logic.

You had a thing and it broke needlessly.
You didn't want the thing to break needlessly.
You replaced the thing with a stronger thing.
Now the thing doesn't break needlessly.
...Paul.
...and have never felt in danger of a tumble.
So then, OBVIOUSLY, it would've been a total waste of time to look at any of the scores of incidents of people getting creamed when their Quest Links dumped them and start using safe legal stuff.
I have witnessed countless others have weak link breaks with no serious problems.
Wanna tell us about a few of the minor problems, you stupid sonuvabitch? Any serious stalls and potentially lethal losses of altitude way up high?
We train aero tow pilots how to handle this situation...
- I'll bet you do - and I'll bet your victims get plenty of practice.

- Do you also train them how to...

http://www.chgpa.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3391
More on Zapata and weak link
Paul Tjaden - 2008/07/22 04:32:22 UTC

I have never had a lockout situation happen so quickly and dramatically and had no chance to release as I have always thought I could do.
...release in response to a lockout when they're using the Quest equipment you've been perfecting for twenty years that gives them no chance to release?
...and I am certain that Zach had also encountered this situation many times before and knew how to react properly.
Yeah. Go figure.
Apparently, Zach simply hit strong low level turbulence, probably a dust devil...
BULLSHIT. If it was a dust devil your "highly experienced tow pilot" would've known and reported it.
...that could not be seen due to the lack of dust...
...and streamers along the runway...
...in Florida, the nose went too high...
How high would it have gone if he had used some sort of bridle which split the tow force between two points - the pilot and a trim point on the keel?
...and he tumbled at a very low altitude.

Strong dust devils in Florida definitely do exist even though they are rare.
So rare that there's really no need to use ribbons to check for them before committing to launch.
My wife had a near miss...
You're wife IS a perpetual near miss - except for every now and then when she doesn't.
...when she encountered a severe dusty a couple years ago...
But still there's really no need for ribbons and "pro towing" is a perfectly safe means of getting airborne.
...and I almost lost a brand new $18,000 ATOS VX when it was torn from its tie down and thrown upside down.
Maybe it would be a good idea to use tie-downs actually up to the job when you've spent much more than fifteen grand on a glider.
I wish I could shed more light on this accident but I am afraid this is all we know and probably will know.
Got that part goddam right. Too bad you're too fuckin' clueless to look at the glaringly obvious issues here.
Zach was a great guy with an incredible outlook and zest for life. He will be sorely missed.
But let's continue operating exactly the same way as before and see how long we can keep getting away with it for another cycle.

Asshole.

P.S. Paul, if you weren't such as stupid arrogant dick...

http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=12587
weak links (here we go)
Patrick Halfhill - 2009/06/21 23:22:23 UTC

Another pilot that was convinced at the ECC that he needed a stronger weaklink, took his to Texas and I believe through it away after a near death experience.
...and had adopted my Bridle Links...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/aerotowrelease/8305393601/

...I ONE HUNDRED PERCENT GUARANTEE YOU that that tow would've been a nonevent.
---
* - 2017/05/13 15:30:00 UTC

Oops. Didn't do that very well. It was the identity of the previous glider jockey he was concealing - not the Pilot In Command of Zack's glider. But fuck Paul anyway. If he hadn't been deliberately obfuscating high value information I wouldn't have made the mistake.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=28290
Report about fatal accident at Quest Air Hang Gliding
Lauren Tjaden - 2013/02/07 23:56:42 UTC
Groveland, Florida

I am posting the report my husband, Paul Tjaden, just wrote about Zach Marzec's death at Quest. It is a great tragedy to lose someone so young and vital. We are sick about it, and our hearts go out to his friends, family and loved ones.
Fuck you, Eminently Qualified Tandem Pilot.
Steve Morris - 2013/02/08 01:14:27 UTC
Sunnyvale

Paul,
Thanks so much for writing this report. There have been countless serious HG accidents...
It wasn't an accident, Steve.
...in recent years that never were properly investigated or reported and I'm glad you took on the tough task of writing one for this tragic accident.
Yeah, thanks Paul.
The glider was a Moyes Xtralite.
The little Xtralite is has a maximum certified flying weight of 308 pounds, so the Quest Link limited him to an absolute maximum of 0.84 Gs - WELL under the FAA maximum of 2.0, so there was ABSOLUTELY NO POSSIBILITY of that glider being overstressed.

And if it was the big Xtralight it would've been less than 0.81. And you just can't get much safer than that without running off the bottom of the legal range.
Fletcher - 2013/02/08 02:34:36 UTC

Thank you for writing that report, sorry you had to.
There wouldn't have been anything to report on if they weren't a bunch of incompetent negligent douchebags.
We all, or we should, know the risks involved with avation and most continue to fly, because risks or not it's a part of who we are.
Bullshit. Your average glider diver can't even spell aviation, let alone understand the risks and how to eliminate them. This wasn't aviation, just another amusing anecdote in a decades long clusterfuck.
I for one have enjoyed a much fuller life experience since becoming a part of this flight community.
Cult.
We don't know when our last day in this life will be so I feel it's important to live to the fullest and to let those we love know how much they're loved.
And let's not forget to let those we hate know just how much they're hated. That's WAY more important at times like these.
So to all my brothers and sisters
Fly High Be Free
And pray your Quest Link doesn't free you in the circumstances that Zack's freed him or you're gonna be just as fucked.
Davis Straub - 2013/02/08 01:18:37 UTC

Scare asks:
Could he have been low enough, relative to the tug, that the prop wash could have changed the glider's normal stall recovery into a tumble?
I'm wondering about that also. As the tug is jerked up the pilot should go through the prop wash just as he hits the thermal.
I'm wondering about that also. I think that's a pretty good bet because we have SO MANY reports of people tumbling during stall recovery after Davis Link pops at altitude. That's the reason your smarter competition pilots bring an extra parachute with them to meets so they can get right back in line without having to do repacks.

Something else I'm wondering about as well...

http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=26870
weak links
Davis Straub - 2012/08/13 18:08:42 UTC

Used to do 130 lbs. Now do 200 lbs.
Zach Marzec
Paul Tjaden - 2013/02/07
Quest Air

I thought the new universal standard aerotow weak link was 200 hundred pounds.

- So why is Quest - and, apparently, Kitty Hawk - still using the old standard?

- What was the thinking behind the abrupt 54 percent increase?

- Any chance that the weak link strength could've been a factor...

http://ozreport.com/12.081
Weaklinks - the HGFA rules
Davis Straub - 2008/04/22 14:47:00 UTC

Here is the requirement from the 2007 Worlds local rules (which I wrote) for weaklinks:
Pilots must use weaklinks provided by the meet organizers and in a manner approved by the meet organizers. All weaklinks will be checked and use of inappropriate weaklinks will require the pilot to go to the end of the launch line to change the weaklink.

Weaklinks will consist of a single loop of Cortland 130 lb Greenspot braided Dacron Tolling line and should be placed at one end of a shoulder bridle.
At the 2008 Forbes Flatlands Greenspot for the first time was used as the standard weaklink material (thanks in large part to the efforts of Bobby Bailey). We applaud these efforts to improve the safety of aerotowing by using a better weaklink material.
...in the safety of this flight?

- Are you still very happy...

http://ozreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=24534
It's a wrap
Davis Straub - 2011/07/30 19:51:54 UTC

I'm very happy with the way Quest Air (Bobby Bailey designed) does it now.
...with the way Quest Air (Bobby Bailey designed) does it now, despite the 54 percent discrepency regarding the focal point of the safe towing system?

- I've heard that comments from Jim Rooney - due to his keen intellect - are the ones to which we should give the most weight.

Is this a joke ?
Jim Rooney - 2011/08/25 21:40:25 UTC

Weaklink material... exactly what Davis said.

It's no mystery.
It's only a mystery why people choose to reinvent the wheel when we've got a proven system that works.
Is he on board with this? Is that heartwarming relationship...

Is this a joke ?
Jim Rooney - 2011/08/28 06:15:12 UTC

You may not know, but Davis is a friend of mine.
We have discussed this many times in person. We are not in disagreement.

If you can not see that we're in agreement, perhaps I can clear things up for you. Or Davis can.
...you two guys share in any kind of trouble? If there's a problem DO let me know. I know several EXCELLENT relationship counselors who could do absolute marvels in getting things patched up. Or maybe you and Jim could just compromise on 165 pound Greenspot.

Another little issue here...

http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=22233
Looking for pro-tow release
Casey Cox - 2011/06/15 15:32:49 UTC

Pro-tow is not as safe a tow bridle as a 2 point with aero release. It's just smaller, less drag, shorter bridle that takes a little less time to stow, and looks cooler.
http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=22233
Looking for pro-tow release
Davis Straub - 2011/06/15 12:50:03 UTC

Do you have any references that back up your opinion here?
Try this one...
Paul Tjaden - 2013/01/07

When the lift/turbulence was encountered, the weak link on the tow line broke as the nose of the glider pitched up quickly to a very high angle of attack.
That one good enough to back up his "OPINION", motherfucker?
I would suggest that this statement is in fact false.
I would suggest that you are, in fact, an incompetent lying blight on the gene pool.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

Guest - 2013/02/08 04:21:13 UTC

A tragic...
...and EASILY predictable and EASILY preventable...
...loss.

From having witnessed hundreds of tow launches in mid day thermal conditions, I imagined that as the tug rose quickly in the lift, Zachary found himself very low in relation to the tug and with his airspeed dropping (the result of the tug going up more than going forward).
Absolute rubbish.
Your description is somewhat vague when describing the events occurring from the 50 to the 150 foot level, but I imagined Zachary might have pushed out hard to try to "catch up" to the tug's altitude (even before the tug leveled out or began to descend to his level)...
Bullshit.

You see the tug pop up you know you're gonna get popped up in a few seconds so you climb a bit to prepare. But you don't climb all the way up because you know that it's about to get dumped and you'll be getting dumped to in a few seconds. Any halfway competent aerotow flyer knows and does this.
...resulting in a high AOA, slow relative airspeed...
Bullshit. There is NOTHING in the reports to suggest this.
...a small but strong thermal, and then the weaklink breaks. The horror...
Yeah, dude, but but what are ya gonna do?
How could this combination of factors have ended any differently?
Maybe a weak link that didn't meet Dr. Trisa Tilletti's expectation that it break as early as possible in a lockout situation?
What options did either pilot have at that moment in time?
At THAT moment in time?
Whipstall, tumble, smash back into the runway, die in the ambulance en route to the hospital.
A couple of minutes BEFORE that moment in time?

Is this a joke ?
Davis Straub - 2011/08/26 14:04:52 UTC

We had six weaklink breaks in a row at Zapata this year. Russell Brown (tug pilot, tug owner, Quest Air owner) said go ahead and double up (four strands of Cortland Greenspot).
Double up your Quest Link, fly through the thermal, spin around the sky for a few hours, land back at the airport, have a beer.

If you get any shit from your driver...

http://www.chgpa.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2467
weak links
Jim Rooney - 2007/07/22 22:30:28 UTC

Hahahahahahahahaha
Oh that's just rich!
Riiiiiight... it's my attention span at issue here....
and I'm the one that's arrogant!
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHA

No, I'm not being nice. No, I do not feel the need to be nice. You're trying to convince people to be less safe. I don't want to be on the other end of the rope when someone listening to this drivel smashes in.

I've heard it a million times before from comp pilots insisting on towing with even doubled up weaklinks (some want no weaklink). I tell them the same thing I'm telling you... suck it up. You're not the only one on the line. I didn't ask to be a test pilot. I can live with your inconvenience.

Please tell me again what's wrong with the wheel? Why you keep trying to reinvent it?

Yes, please fall back on the "I'm just saying they could be stronger" bull when you've made it quite clear that anything lower than cable (1200lb) is acceptable.

The simple fact is that you're not improving the system.
You're trying to make it more convenient and trying to convince yourself that you should be towing with a stronger weaklink.

Enjoy your delusion.
Jim
Beat him to a senseless pulp, rip his throat out with the jagged end of a broken downtube, get another one more willing to operate within FAA safety regulations.
Despite the excellent safety record of the (modern) tow program...
FUCK YOU.
...I think all pilots must accept that this could happen to them in mid day conditions, regardless of their experience or the glider they happen to be flying.
Asshole.
I know of many HG pilots who no longer tow for this reason - they are wary enough of the conditions present or possible in a super-heated LZ but are unwilling to accept the additional risk when the added complexity of the tow is factored into the equation.
In other words...
...a small but strong thermal, and then the weaklink breaks. The horror...
...they're scared shitless of their Rooney Links.
In fact, There is a small group of experienced pilots at LMFP (and Henson's) that will not foot launch mid day - because no matter how soarable it looks, there is a distinct possibility that they will have to land in the super-heated LZ sooner than they wish.
And, of course, that landing MUST BE...
Gil Dodgen - 1995/01

All of this reminds me of a comment Mike Meier made when he was learning to fly sailplanes. He mentioned how easy it was to land a sailplane (with spoilers for glide-path control and wheels), and then said, "If other aircraft were as difficult to land as hang gliders no one would fly them."
...a foot landing.
Especially on high pressure days and especially on light wind days, when thermals present could mean a 180 degree wind switch while you are on final (a thermal you yourself triggered, perhaps?) Strong & Variable, if you will.

It's ironic that the best thermal soaring conditions frequently result in the worst launching/landing conditions here in the Southeastern U.S.
Yeah...

Is this a joke ?
Jim Rooney - 2011/08/28 19:39:17 UTC

Weak links break for all kinds of reasons.
Some obvious, some not.

The general consensus is the age old adage... "err on the side of caution".

The frustration of a weaklink break is just that, frustration.
And it can be very frustrating for sure. Especially on a good day, which they tend to be. It seems to be a Murphy favourite. You'll be in a long tug line on a stellar day just itching to fly. The stars are all lining up when *bam*, out of nowhere your trip to happy XC land goes up in a flash. Now you've got to hike it all the way back to the back of the line and wait as the "perfect" window drifts on by.

I get it.
It can be a pisser.

But the "other side"... the not cautions one... is not one of frustration, it's one of very real danger.
Better to be frustrated than in a hospital, or worse.
No exaggeration... this is the fire that the "other side" is made of. Best not to play with it.
http://ozreport.com/13.238
Adam Parer on his tuck and tumble
Adam Parer - 2009/11/25

Airborne Gulgong Classic
New South Wales

Due to the rough conditions weak links were breaking just about every other tow and the two tugs worked hard to eventually get everyone off the ground successfully.
Ironic.
(dammit! That's it- I'm getting some wheels!)
Yeah...

http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=27415
Friday the 19th with Hawks & Friends!
NMERider - 2012/10/24 21:47:05 UTC

I have to say that landing on the wheels is so much fun it's not funny.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2Gd2kcyOes

http://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7094/13952342741_f71f343877_o.png
http://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7151/13952329131_03e535bc8b_o.png
- "Oh, that's so much more brainless than landing on your feet!"
- "That was beautiful!"
- "That was a GREAT landing, Rotor!"
- "Who cares if it's downwind!"
- "Ooh shit, that was awesome!"
Wheels.
The tow guys know this all too well, and that's why the LMFP tugs have the 914 Turbo option- to get the hell up and away A.S.A.P. with power to spare.
Yeah...

http://www.chgpa.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3661
Flying the 914 Dragonfly
Jim Rooney - 2008/12/06 20:01:49 UTC

You will only ever need full throttle for the first fifty feet of a tandem tow. Don't ever pull a solo at full throttle... they will not be able to climb with you. You can tow them at 28 mph and you'll still leave them in the dust... they just won't be able to climb with you... weaklinks will go left and right.
Power to spare.
When hearing...
...Rooney Link catalyzed...
...horror stories like this latest...
...self inflicted...
...fatality, I'm reminded of Mike Meier's excellent essay "Why Can't We Get A Handle On This Safety Thing?
Good ol' Mike. So if good ol' Mike is so fucking concerned about getting a handle on this safety thing then where the hell is he when we're having these discussions?
Loosely translated here; In mid-day, high pressure thermal conditions, anything can happen, and, over time, everything will happen.
But just keep going up with whatever cheap, shitty, illegal equipment your scummy Wills Wing dealer feels like telling you they've been perfecting for twenty years and hope that when something like this happens it'll happen to somebody else - preferably a Hang Two we can paint as an idiot...

http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=14230
pro tow set-up
Ryan Voight - 2009/11/03 20:51:52 UTC

My whole point is that people tend to "hang on" too long trying to save things, rather than recognize a bad situation and release (one way or another), go back, and reset.
Who tried to "hang on" too long trying to save things, rather than recognizing a bad situation and releasing (one way or another), going back, and resetting.

(Any comment on this one, Ryan? (You miserable little smartass USHGA shit.)
You may not ever be able to predict or prevent their occurrence, and you may not be able to react properly.
BULLSHIT. You equip for and fly EVERY launch as if it WILL happen. And if you're a really competent pilot you don't fly behind Dragonflies 'cause those MOTHERFUCKERS *REFUSE* to get their ends up to regulation strengths and you can get killed even more dead with the rope than you can without it.
You can only choose the time you launch, or whether or not you will launch. You may be able to choose the moment you will land. Maybe...
Great!
Paul Tjaden - 2013/02/07

Let's just stop flying in thermal conditions then.
- Give him:
-- a two point bridle and he walks away with an intact glider
-- a one and a half G weak link and he continues the tow
-- both and he doesn't even remember getting popped by the time he lands three hours later
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

NMERider - 2013/02/08 05:29:57 UTC

Lauren,

Thank you for sharing Paul's report here. Zack's family and friends and the crew at Quest all have my heart-felt condolences.

Regards,
Jonathan
Fuck Lauren, Paul, Zack's friends, the crew at Quest, and you, Jonathan. If you useless goddam Jack Show douchebags...

http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=16265
weaklinks
Kinsley Sykes - 2010/03/18 19:42:19 UTC

In the old threads there was a lot of info from a guy named Tad. Tad had a very strong opinion on weak link strength and it was a lot higher than most folks care for. I'd focus carefully on what folks who tow a lot have to say. Or Jim Rooney who is an excellent tug pilot. I tow with the "park provided" weak links. I think they are 130 pound Greenspot.
...had allowed what I was saying to penetrate your three inch thick skulls instead of...

http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=25302
Interview with Davis Straub, OzReport founder
Allen Sparks - 2012/02/20 21:44:47 UTC

to round it out, you should also do an interview with hang gliding safety activist Tad Eareckson

http://www.kitestrings.org/topic2.html
NMERider - 2012/02/20 23:27:48 UTC

Image Image Image
...lining up to piss all over me you useless goddam Jack Show douchebags at least wouldn't be discussing this as one of the inevitable risks of aviation.

And lemme tell ya sumpin' else, motherfucker...
NMERider:

I voted for Bob after spending a very enjoyable hour on the telephone with him a few months ago. My impression of Bob is that he is a level headed and enthusiastic supporter of both hang gliding and paragliding, and above all: SAFETY.
There wasn't a SINGLE safety standard that I tried to get into place that that sociopathic wack job didn't block, undermine ridicule, denigrate, and/or sabotage.

If he's so fuckin' concerned about safety then show me where he's had a single comment on this one. Hell, show me where where he's had a single comment on the circumstances of THIS:

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8143/7462005802_bbc0ac66ac_o.jpg

one. And Terry was one of Bob's half dozen loyal cult members. Took him five days shy of three months to even acknowledge that he'd been killed.

So what's your contribution to the discussion gonna be THIS time?
deltaman

Post by deltaman »

Tad Eareckson wrote:- Give him:
-- a two point bridle and he walks away with an intact glider
-- a one and a half G weak link and he continues the tow
-- both and he doesn't even remember getting popped by the time he lands three hours later
Tad, hope your work will make sense.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

This is THE BEST opportunity we will have in our lifetimes to kill this 130 pound Greenspot "standard aerotow weak link" bullshit.

But making sense isn't gonna do what we who are capable of rational thought processes always believe/hope it will because we're dealing with an incomprehensibly stupid but powerful and well metastasized religious cult with high priests whose incompetence, negligence, fraudulence, and duplicity will be laid bare for all to see if we win.

So let's not get our hopes up too high but let's do as much damage to these motherfuckers as we possibly can in the short time we have before the attention spans of these idiots cycle down and they start a discussion about the best material to use for backup loops.

I REALLY appreciate what you're doing on this one. And it looks like you're having a significant impact with some of this stuff on continental (non English speaking) Europe.
Mike Lake, do you copy? Come in, Mike.
miguel

Post by miguel »

Really sad on how Zack is being ignored on both boards.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

Zach Marzec
Deltaman - 2013/02/08 13:57:01 UTC

What lacks to your friend Zack is a good understanding of what should be a weaklink..
Its purpose is not to protect the pilot as every ranches are saying but just to protect the glider from overload.
In accordance of the FAA rules we should all fly a 1.5G of the MAXIMUM certified operating weight weaklink and use a reliable release with 2 hands on the bar during actuation:
2 points GetOff release :

http://www.nanoavionic.com/
http://www.getoffrelease.com/

or 1 point mouth release :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rh3-uZptNw0

Here, the pilot needed tension and not the opposite !
and with a poor "standart 130lb weaklink" you take unnecessary risk !!

How much deaths again ?
The more the merrier - preferably people like Zack who are beloved by everyone with whom they come into contact and have experience, skills, qualifications, ratings coming out their ass.

This is the only way we can get people's attention and get them to start thinking a little bit.

Plus shit like this gets out to the general public and increases the probability that the useless fucking FAA may be forced to take some action.
Davis Straub - 2013/02/08 16:57:42 UTC
Its purpose is not to protect the pilot as every ranches are saying but just to protect the glider from overload.
All the flight parks that I am aware of are quite aware of this.
BULL FUCKING SHIT - you lying sack of dog shit.

Let's take a look at the scene of the crime, with which...

http://ozreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=24534
It's a wrap
Davis Straub - 2011/07/30 19:51:54 UTC

I'm very happy with the way Quest Air (Bobby Bailey designed) does it now.
...you maintain an extremely incestuous relationship.
Lauren Tjaden - 2011/08/01 02:01:06 UTC
Quest Air

For whomever asked about the function of a weak link, it is to release the glider and plane from each other when the tow forces become greater than desirable -- whether that is due to a lockout or a malfunction of equipment or whatever. This can save a glider, a tow pilot, or more often, a hang glider pilot who does not get off of tow when he or she gets too far out of whack.
How 'bout Ridgely - with whom you also maintain an incestuous relationship?

http://www.chgpa.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3600
Weak link question
Jim Rooney - 2008/11/22 22:31:35 UTC

Nail on the head Brian!

The simple fact is this. The only reason anyone even gives Tad the time of day is that they want to believe him. Why? Because they don't like to be inconvenienced by a weaklink break. That's it.

Sure, everyone digs around for other reasons to believe, but at the heart of it, it's convenience.
No one is actually scared to fly with a standard weaklink. They may say they are, but deep down inside, they're not.
Jim Rooney - 2008/11/23 08:50:52 UTC

Oh if only life were so simple. Image
How's it go?... that's right... Sh1t Happens.

That's what weaklinks are all about. There for that "OH SH1T" moment.
You can ponder all you like the way this or that should happen and what you should do in such a moment. But the plain fact is that when it all goes to custard, things tend to happen really fast.

Now I'm of the variety that likes to stack the deck in my favor. I like to have things that might help me out when it's all going to hell. I most certainly do not want things that don't help involved. I don't need to rely on these things to appreciate that they're there.

BTW, all this talk about "the only reason for a weaklink is to protect the glider" stuff is absolute piss. Sorry, that's a reason for weaklink. This notion that it's the only reason is nothing short of dangerous.

A weaklink's purpose is to improve your safety.
Plane and simple. The rest is how it does it.

Not having the glider fold up does help your odds of survival. So does inconveniencing you by letting go of the rope for you... whether you like it or not.

I'm sure Tad will happily write a 20 page dissertation on everything I've said here. Have fun. I don't read posts from him. If anyone else cares to discuss any of this, I'm happy to do so. You might have to pm me to get my attention as the weather here is often far more conducive to flying.

Fly safe guys.

Jim
Jim Rooney - 2008/11/24 05:18:15 UTC

BTW, if you think I'm just spouting theory here, I've personally refused to tow a flight park owner over this very issue. I didn't want to clash, but I wasn't towing him. Yup, he wanted to tow with a doubled up weaklink. He eventually towed (behind me) with a single and sorry to disappoint any drama mongers, we're still friends. And lone gun crazy Rooney? Ten other tow pilots turned him down that day for the same reason.
Jim Rooney - 2008/11/25 19:21:57 UTC

Brian,
While I appreciate your quest for the perfect weaklink, didn't we cover this already? (Again?)
Are we to go down the road of debating the quality standards of greenspot again?
Ok, for review, it doesn't matter.
Why?
Because you have nothing else.
Do I have to review why we don't tow handmade gliders?

Listen we're all perfectly aware that greenspot is not laser calibrated to 130lbs. It's bloody fishing line. Get over it. Are you flying below your perfect numbers as a heavy guy. Yes. Yes you are. Get over it.
Why?
Because it's all you've got.

Why lower numbers? Because your choice is lower or higher... and higher is more dangerous than lower.
Plain and simple. Janni, 1G, but please stay.

Now, my turn.
Name one commercially available strength rated material that can be used as a weaklink OTHER than greenspot.
Is that all about not going higher for fear of tearing the glider apart?

How 'bout...

http://ozreport.com/12.081
Weaklinks - the HGFA rules
Davis Straub - 2008/04/22 14:47:00 UTC

At the 2008 Forbes Flatlands Greenspot for the first time was used as the standard weaklink material (thanks in large part to the efforts of Bobby Bailey). We applaud these efforts to improve the safety of aerotowing by using a better weaklink material.
...Bobby Bailey - whom you elevated to sainthood for solving all of aerotowing's back end problems by pulling a fishing line rating out of his ass?

http://ozreport.com/3.066
Weaklinks
Davis Straub - 1999/06/06

During the US Nationals I wrote a bit about weaklinks and the gag weaklinks that someone tied at Quest Air. A few days after I wrote about them, Bobby Bailey, designer and builder of the Bailey-Moyes Dragon Fly tug, approached me visibly upset about what I and James Freeman had written about weaklinks. He was especially upset that I had written that I had doubled my weaklink after three weaklinks in a row had broken on me.
Was he visibly upset because he was terrified of getting his tail ripped off by the same weak link he uses on his end and for tandems?

How 'bout...
Dr. Trisa Tilletti - 2012/06

We want our weak links to break as early as possible in lockout situations, but be strong and reliable enough to avoid frequent weak link breaks from turbulence. It is the same expectation of performance that we have for the weak links we use for towing sailplanes.
Cloud 9 / The USHGA Towing Committee?
This article was peer-reviewed and approved for publication by the USHPA Towing Committee.
How 'bout the excellent book, Towing Aloft, by Dennis Pagen and Bill Bryden, that USHGA and all the flight parks sell which states:
Weak links very clearly will provide protection from excessive angles of attack, high bank turns and the like for this form of towing.
(Gotta give 'em credit for the part about protection from excessive angles of attack, however. Sure did the job for Zack Saturday afternoon.)

When your baby boyfriend Jimmy is visiting all the people who didn't listen to him in the hospital...

Is this a joke ?
Jim Rooney - 2011/08/31 09:25:57 UTC

Oh how many times I have to hear this stuff.
I've had these exact same arguments for years and years and years.
Nothing about them changes except the new faces spouting them.

It's the same as arguing with the rookie suffering from intermediate syndrome.
They've already made up their mind and only hear that which supports their opinion.

Only later, when we're visiting them in the hospital can they begin to hear what we've told them all along.
...is after they survived in flight glider breakups?
They tell their pilots that the point of the weak link is save the glider from overload and that they should not rely on the weaklink to save them.
- And they do such a STELLAR job...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlIGsgNFRWM

...of saving the glider from overload.

- Right. But they tell them not to worry about the piece of shit release that they sell them that they can't get to...

http://www.chgpa.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3391
More on Zapata and weak link
Paul Tjaden - 2008/07/22 04:32:22 UTC

I have never had a lockout situation happen so quickly and dramatically and had no chance to release as I have always thought I could do.
...and probably won't work if they do because it MIGHT break in time...

Is this a joke ?
Marc Fink - 2011/08/28 21:11:09 UTC

I once locked out on an early laminarST aerotowing. went past vertical and past 45 degrees to the line of pull-- and the load forces were increasing dramatically. The weaklink blew and the glider stalled--needed every bit of the 250 ft agl to speed up and pull out. I'm alive because I didn't use a stronger one.
...to keep their stupid asses alive.

- You find me ONE person in the entire history of hang glider aerotowing saying, "WHOA!!! I sure am glad my standard aerotow weak link blew when it did 'cause my glider was well on its way to getting folded up!"
Paul Tjaden - 2013/02/07

- Did Zack's last words include anything about how grateful he was that his Quest Link prevented his glider from blowing up in the air and thus provided him with another few minutes of conscious life?

- So tell me, Davis... If the flight parks are teaching everyone that the point of the weak link is save the glider from overload and that they should not rely on the it to save them then why:
-- do we see nothing but single loops of 130 pound Greenspot on gliders from under 200 pounds to over 350, one and two point?
-- are most gliders skimming or off the bottom of the FAA legal range?
-- is everyone so rabidly opposed to the recommendation of flying in the middle of the FAA legal range?
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

Zach Marzec
Deltaman - 2013/02/08 18:24:58 UTC
All the flight parks that I am aware of are quite aware of this.
For example, here, from Wallaby Ranch in WEAKLINK FAILURES:

http://www.wallaby.com/aerotow_primer.php
In an excessive out-of position situation, the weak link will snap before the control authority of the glider would be lost.
that's wrong.
You can easily loose control before the wl blow ..and close to the ground, that's already too late.
That's why we need reliable, "two-hands-on-the-bar" actuation device to release immediately, with few effort, without loosing more control if we need
..rather than a dangerous weak weaklink in which you should expect nothing good.

KEEP THE TENSION or RELEASE ASAP

(weak) Weaklink is in no way a security for the pilot, that's strictly the opposite ..and you can find some evidence in this sad story.
Jim Rooney - 2013/02/08 18:40:12 UTC

aaaaaaaand... here we go again.
Go ahead, you ratty little piece of shit. Open your mouth and say something. You've got yourself painted into a corner now more tightly than you ever have in your entire miserable life. And that's saying something.
Davis Straub - 2013/02/08 20:32:45 UTC

You'll have to ask Malcolm to update his document. He knows better.
Just about all you Flight Park Mafia / USHGA motherfuckers know better. But that's not what you want your cult members, students, sales targets to believe.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

michael170 - 2013/02/09 04:55:51 UTC

The weak link broke.
The glider pitched up.
The glider stalled.
Struck the ground.
Zack died.
Who's next?
Wrong sequence.

The glider pitched up.
The weak link broke.
The glider stalled.
Struck the ground.
Zack died.

When a weak link breaks the angle of attack goes through the ceiling but the glider immediately starts pitching down.
Dan Johnson - 2013/02/09 05:22:34 UTC

Ask not for whom the bell tolls...
Don't need to. Bell's toll for people who:
- never subject their sidewires to abuse during preflight
- are always:
-- sure they're hooked in on the launch ramp
-- working to perfect their standup landings
- use:
-- releases within easy reach that have very long track records
-- standard weak links they expect to to break as early as possible in lockout situations
- have drivers always poised to make good decisions in the interest of their safety
Davis Straub - 2013/02/09 05:38:41 UTC

The glider pitched up.
The glider stalled.
The weak link broke.
Wrong sequence.

A standard 130 pound test Davis Link was being used.
The glider pitched up.
The standard 130 pound test Davis Link worked as a pitch limiter.
The glider stalled.
So what?
So the Flight Park Mafia took out one of its Made Men this time.

P.S. You didn't answer my question about why Kitty Hawk and Quest haven't switched over to the new 200 pound standard yet.