Weak links

General discussion about the sport of hang gliding
Tad Eareckson

Re: Weak links

Post by Tad Eareckson »

I can't see how a (fast) trim would make a tuck anymore likely assuming the glider is flying and within the trim range of the few inches we are talking about.
If it's eight inches like in the Bart Bridle article Stage One and on a fixed line pulling at an increasingly steep angle...
During a 'nod' I have felt a pitch down with the glider accelerating ahead of me followed by the reassuring tug of the belly line and instant later.
The glider accelerating ahead is fine but the pitch down leaves my vector diagrams in trouble IF the:
upper anchor point is the hang point; and
pilot isn't using the basetube to keep up with the glider / not be left behind.
Any hope on either of these, particularly the latter?
Brian, despite his insight and obvious knowledge...
Too bad, he really deserves a bronze statue somewhere. Totally nailed it.

Beating up on Bart a bit...
This is mostly because the people who make airplane laws are mostly airplane pilots, and they doubt the aerodynamic stability of our kites. And, in fact, we cannot yet say bluntly they are mistaken.
This is 1979/10, right about when the Ultralite Products Comet came out. The HGMA was firmly in place and we knew how to do and were doing strong, stable, airworthy gliders long before.
Until either of these, we will soar our twenty-metre dunes.

As you see, any creative ideas of mine on tow launching aren't worth trying out at fifty metres.
This makes ya wanna scream. He lives thirty miles from the freakin' beach, he's got sand and strong steady breezes right off the North Sea. It's like God handed him a padded wind tunnel on a silver platter and he's not even gonna consider using it. The Wright Brothers went 530 crow flight miles out of their way to access an environment like that.

That's EXACTLY where he should've been trying his creative ideas - 'cept within three meters of the surface. A glider, a test pilot, thirty feet of line, a piece of driftwood, two guys to serve as oxen. You don't even need a release. Oops, that's not working very well at this angle, let go please.

The solution was SO simple and obvious. When you're just standing there in the wind with the glider floating and pulling on your suspension you're kiting/towing it. Just tie the line to a ring on the pilot's harness and you've got it. The problem was we had to unlearn a decade or two's worth of the wrong way to do it first - kinda like the way we've been trying for thirty years to unlearn that the weak link is a lockout preventer.
MikeLake

Post by MikeLake »

I can't see how a (fast) trim would make a tuck anymore likely assuming the glider is flying and within the trim range of the few inches we are talking about.
If it's eight inches like in the Bart Bridle article Stage One and on a fixed line pulling at an increasingly steep angle...
Still thinking about this one. A terminal dive for sure, but a tuck?
---
During a 'nod' I have felt a pitch down with the glider accelerating ahead of me followed by the reassuring tug of the belly line and instant later.
The glider accelerating ahead is fine but the pitch down leaves my vector diagrams in trouble IF the:
upper anchor point is the hang point; and
pilot isn't using the basetube to keep up with the glider / not be left behind.
Any hope on either of these, particularly the latter?
The upper anchor point IS at the hang point, yes for sure.

The pilot (me) IS in a state of PIN (pilot induced nodding), no doubt pushing, pulling, relaxing, freezing all at the wrong times.
Of course, the pilot is playing a BIG part in this scenario. Also at some point the glider is semi stalled state, this is a big factor.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

A terminal dive for sure, but a tuck?
Dive, tuck, sheared cross spars pivot bolt, broken keel, whatever... The important thing is that it's TERMINAL. As long as the pilot dies my vector diagrams are OK and I'm happy. I was sloppy saying tuck versus dive but it seems that a lot of dives induced this way end up as tucks.
The pilot (me) IS in a state of PIN...
And all this time I've been thinking that that too was an American invention - something that came along with the ATM.
...no doubt pushing, pulling, relaxing, freezing all at the wrong times.
Yeah, if I suddenly saw the bar three feet in front of me I have no doubt that I'd wanna put it back an least under my nose, probably to my knees, regardless of what the glider was trying to tell me.

I think that the diagrams are OK and I haven't written anything that'll leave me vulnerable.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

The solid comments of Head Trauma, based on hundreds of hours/tows of experience and backed up by his keen intellect/knowledge of the issues when it comes to most things in general and hang gliding AT/Towing in particular, on Tost weak links versus the single loop of 130 pound Greenspot which breaks when and only when the towline tension hits exactly 520 pounds, regardless of where it's installed, and thus puts all gliders at exactly 1.0 Gs - just like the shitheads at Ridgely and Manquin who trained him and signed him off told him...

http://www.chgpa.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3600
Weak link question
Jim Rooney - 2008/11/25 20:49:28 UTC

I work with a lot of people that would tend to disagree with that.
Yeah Jim, it's incredibly easy to get a bunch of assholes to agree on whatever the least common denominator pulls out of the sewer.
Just because the solo pilot crowd isn't aware, please do not assume this.
Yeah, all tandem pilots are, obviously, twice as smart as all solo pilots - simple arithmetic - and, of course, only our lords and masters are capable of understanding the complex issues they deal with every day.
One criteria is of course that they are recognizable... to me... not you.
Not ENTIRELY sure about that. Whenever I see someone blow a weak link ten feet off the cart I've always had a pretty good idea what he was using. But I'll defer to your keen intellect/knowledge of the issues.
But that's not it. They are kept because they have a huge track record. That's really hard to argue with.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/hhpa/message/11155
Question
Shane Nestle - 2010/09/17 22:17:50 UTC

So far I've only had negative experiences with weak links. One broke while aerotowing just as I was coming off the cart. Flared the glider immediately to land and put my feet down in preparation only to find the cart still directly below me. My leg went through the two front parallel bars forcing me to let the glider drop onto the control frame in order to prevent my leg from being snapped.
Yeah Jim, just like cigarettes - a HUGE track record. I've seen and experienced the broken downtubes myself. No possibility of argument whatsoever.
I've yet to hear anyone successfully do so.
http://ozreport.com/12.081
Weaklinks - the HGFA rules
Davis Straub - 2008/04/22 14:47:00 UTC

Here is the requirement from the 2007 Worlds local rules (which I wrote) for weaklinks:
Pilots must use weaklinks provided by the meet organizers and in a manner approved by the meet organizers. All weaklinks will be checked and use of inappropriate weaklinks will require the pilot to go to the end of the launch line to change the weaklink.

Weaklinks will consist of a single loop of Cortland 130 lb Greenspot braided Dacron Tolling line and should be placed at one end of a shoulder bridle.
http://www.chgpa.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2467
weak links
Jim Rooney - 2007/07/22 22:30:28 UTC

I've heard it a million times before from comp pilots insisting on towing with even doubled up weaklinks (some want no weaklink). I tell them the same thing I'm telling you... suck it up.
http://ozreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=24846
Is this a joke ?
Jim Rooney - 2008/11/24 05:18:15 UTC

I've personally refused to tow a flight park owner over this very issue. I didn't want to clash, but I wasn't towing him. Yup, he wanted to tow with a doubled up weaklink. He eventually towed (behind me) with a single and sorry to disappoint any drama mongers, we're still friends. And lone gun crazy Rooney? Ten other tow pilots turned him down that day for the same reason.
Nah, you stupid pigfuckers have any faint hope of success pretty much smothered.
Plastic links...
By which Head Trauma means the stuff I'd referenced at:

http://www.tost.de/evers/edefault.htm
http://www.wingsandwheels.com/page30.htm

"Manufactured by Bob" doesn't meet my criteria.
Oh!!! Forgive us All Wise And Knowing Very Very Reliable Bent Pin Jim. We had NO IDEA. If only we had known!
They are not manufactured to tolerances. They're not "manufactured" at all... They are a material that some guy found consistent enough to feel comfortable about. He cuts holes and tests, but it's still Bob in his backyard. He doesn't make the plastic, so he has no control over the quality of it.
Tost Flugzeuggerätebau

Foundation of Tost company as a locksmith's shop.
Gliding is again permitted in Germany. Tost begins developing safety equipment for gliding.
Manufacture of the first Tost nose release.
Type approval of the Tost weak link.
The first Tost safety releases are produced in series. Today over 60.000 Tost releases are used day in, day out, all over the world.
Start of manufacture of aircraft wheels: landing wheels, shoe brake wheels and hydraulic disk brake wheels for use in gliders, motor gliders, and aircraft.
Start of development and manufacture of rescue cages and rope-down securing units to ensure the safety of rescue teams.
Focus on the core business of safety equipment, tow releases and wheels.
Start of production of a proprietary aircraft tire: TOST AERO 4.00-4, 260x85, 200x50.
Development of retrofit kits for disk brake wheels.
Tost production of Tow Cable Retractor Winch with Guillotine.
LBA approval as production organisation.
For helicopter rescue teams: 1-man rope down securing unit for fast mounting in airline rails.
Distributor for Condor Aircraft tires.
Distributor for Michelin Aircraft tires.
LBA approval of the small, light tow release E22.
Certification as EASA production organisation DE.21G.0065.
Celebration of the 60th anniversary.
Redesign of the Tost premises.
Tost weak links in optimised format.
Stahlbus bleeder valve - sole distributor for General Aviation.
Brass tail wheel as trimming weight.
Split tail wheel Max II and Moritz II for easy tire mounting.
Certification as EASA design organisation and EASA maintenance organisation.
We are celebrating 65 years of Tost company.
Hydraulic actuation of drum brake wheels.
Yeah, how could some loser like Bob even hope to hold a candle to some asshole who drives a Dragonfly up and down all summer long year after year in two hemispheres?
That said, I'd feel a whole lot better about these than Tad's stuff.
Good. I'd probably slash my wrist if you didn't. As it is I take it as a supreme compliment.

http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=11497
Aerotow release options?
Adi Branch - 2009/07/02 12:50:02 UTC

I have to chirp in on this.. I know I'm a noob and all that, but Tad seems to be talking sense to me. From what I can gather the US has some quite different (dated?) ways of doing things which it appears are not used here in the UK, and some of the reasons I've heard cited for not using these methods relate directly to accidents in the US.

For instance, the idea of tying your own weak link is absolute nuts to me, as is using a bit of string for the job! Over here it's aluminium only (sailplane style link) and if I turned up with a bit of tied string, I'd be shown the exit road.

I dunno... Maybe I'm missing something, but if someone (who appears to be knowledgeable in his field) is suggesting some aspects of towing methods are unsafe (to which as an outsider I agree with him), then why are there criticisms and not constructive arguments or additional input to rectify these issues?
http://ozreport.com/12.081
Weaklinks - the HGFA rules
Davis Straub - 2008/04/22 14:47:00 UTC

At the 2008 Forbes Flatlands Greenspot for the first time was used as the standard weaklink material (thanks in large part to the efforts of Bobby Bailey). We applaud these efforts to improve the safety of aerotowing by using a better weaklink material.
Lauren Tjaden - 2003/12/14

This fall at Ridgely, I had a weak link break at maybe fifty feet. I thought I was going to have to land in the soybeans - the very tall soybeans - when I looked at my angle. But, my glider stalled quite dramatically almost instantly (hard not to stall when you have a break), and dove towards the ground (a bit disconcerting from so low).
http://www.jm2c.com/hangola/2005/0125.htm
Lauren Tjaden - 2005/01/21

I came off the cart smoothly, but at 100 feet, started getting slammed. I tow lots, and I will tell you I have never felt anything like this before. Ginny leapt sideways and would go slack and then violently shudder. Jim hung onto the plane and I hung onto her basetube, but at 400 feet my pussy-##s weak link broke. Great. Now I had to land in the monster that had just attacked the runway. My glider set me down neatly, but adrenaline was practically spilling out my eyeballs by then.
Yeah Bobby, thanks zillions. Aerotowing would be so dull without this contribution and all of the adoring clones around to make it stick. And while I think of it...

http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=21033
barrels release without any tension except weight of rope..
Bart Weghorst - 2011/02/25 19:06:26 UTC

But I've had it once where the pin had bent inside the barrel from excessive tow force. My weaklink was still intact. The tug pilot's weaklink broke so I had the rope. I had to use two hands to get the pin out of the barrel.
Can't thank you enough either for making the bent pin the global standard for barrel releases for all eternity. If you don't get a call from Stockholm this year we can be absolutely certain that the whole system's rigged.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

http://www.chgpa.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3661
Flying the 914 Dragonfly
Jim Rooney - 2008/12/06 20:01:49 UTC

Don't ever pull a solo at full throttle... they will not be able to climb with you. You can tow them at 28mph and you'll still leave them in the dust... they just won't be able to climb with you... weaklinks will go left and right.
http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=13689
eating dirt
Jim Gaar - 2009/09/18 19:23:44 UTC

Hell I've literally shoved the control frame out in front of me to avoid a whack when it got a little ahead of me in a light DW landing, similar to when I've had to slide it in on my belly (did that once after a weaklink brake coming off a launch cart).
http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=21231
Dolly Launching Error - Critical Analysis
Jim Rooney - 2011/03/15 00:25:57 UTC

There is a HUGE difference between 914s/912s and 582 tugs.
And I mean huge.

If you do that "lifting the cart" nonsense behind a 914, you're going to start blowing through weaklinks left and right.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/hhpa/message/11155
Question
Shane Nestle - 2010/09/17 22:17:50 UTC

So far I've only had negative experiences with weak links. One broke while aerotowing just as I was coming off the cart. Flared immediately and put my feet down only to find the cart still directly below me. My leg went through the two front parallel bars forcing me to let the glider drop onto the control frame in order to prevent my leg from being snapped.
http://www.chgpa.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2467
weak links
Jim Rooney - 2007/08/01 19:49:30 UTC

It's more of this crappy argument that being on tow is somehow safer than being off tow.
Sure is a GOOD THING you All Wise And Knowing Guardians of our well-being are keeping us safe with those lockout protectors. Keep up the good work.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

Zack,

Got to worrying a bit 'cause I hadn't actually tested a loop weak link on the material from which I constructed your two point bride - eighth inch Samson AmSteel.

200 pound Cortland Greenspot, Double Lark's Head, Fisherman's Knot - 225 pounds, failed at the (allegedly out of the equation) Fisherman's.

Still plenty of margin over your Number 8 Bridle Link - 288 pounds, 1.28 ratio.

Puts your Sport 2 155 (60) with you (200) on it at 1.50 Gs. Sport 2 maxed out - 1.26. Not bad.

Assuming 250 string on that line behaves the same way your numbers would be 1.88 and 1.58.
Zack C
Site Admin

Post by Zack C »

Thanks for checking that, Tad...I'm happy with those numbers.

I sent Bill three tied loops of 130 lb Greenspot and three of the 200 lb to test on his rig. He secured them to a loop of 1/4" Spectra (presumably with a Double Lark's Head). The 130s broke around where I expected, but the 200s broke at a good bit less.
200: 160.0, 171.2, 179.2
130: 124.8, 124.8, 140.8

Zack
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

I'm a lot happier with the one number I got for the 200 than ANY of the three Bill did.

His numbers for the 130 are quite consistent with what I got on 2000 pound Spectra. My one test with the 200 on Spectra was (as I've reported) 202.

The top two Greenspot lines are 130 and 200 so it's not like you could get mixed up with something in between.

I really can't account for the discrepancy and I'd have a hard time buying any explanation which includes the word "batch".

Do you have a factory spool of the stuff?

I'll be more than happy to run tests on anything you wanna send me. Need about 140 millimeters a shot for the 200. I can also use the calipers to compare diameters with what I've got in my stash.
Zack C
Site Admin

Post by Zack C »

Tad Eareckson wrote:Do you have a factory spool of the stuff?
Aye. Purchased late last year.
Tad Eareckson wrote:I'll be more than happy to run tests on anything you wanna send me. Need about 140 millimeters a shot for the 200. I can also use the calipers to compare diameters with what I've got in my stash.
Cool, I'll send you some of my 200...I'm interested in seeing if you get the same numbers. I'll send some pre-tied loops to approximate what I sent Bill just in case the knot or size of the loop had anything to do with it as well as some loose line. Just send me an address to send them to.

An interesting thing Bill reported after doing some earlier tests is that weak links secured with a Double Lark's Head failed before those with a Single.

Zack
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

The 200 I have is a few feet I ripped off from Lookout a couple of Junes ago. If I get results like Bill's see if there's a lot number you can gimme.

Single Lark's... This wacko knot hiding religion drives me berserk. It makes so little difference that anything that appears to show up is within the range of variation you're gonna get testing them "properly" configured.