Skyting demolition

General discussion about the sport of hang gliding
Tad Eareckson

Re: Skyting demolition

Post by Tad Eareckson »

So unfortunately I stumbled upon the Russian copy instead of stumbling upon the Davis Show material I'd previously known about to which the Russian forum led me back. So the sequence of analysis and dismemberment is a bit out of sequence but one does what one can.

This topic is a pivotal point in hang gliding devolution and I have its seven pages cleaned up and ready to post as another really embarrassing archive.

http://ozreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=21649
Truck Towing Accident in South Texas
Davis Straub - 2010/10/20 02:27:23 UTC

Sent: Tuesday, October 19, 2010 2:02 PM
To: Davis Straub
Subject: RE: Truck towing accident?

Davis,

No, they did not simply hook the rope to the pickup. They were using a home built payout winch that I have never seen. And, I suspect that they tested its tension setting by pulling some line out immediately before foot-launching, because that is the procedure they had been practicing when using my equipment. But when one fails to release and overflies the payout winch, the normal towing tension is enough to force the glider into the ground, especially when the towline is routed over the control bar. I am confident that they were also using a weak link (because that was what they always trained on), but again a towline force sufficient to cause a tuck is not sufficient to break a weak link.

Clearly, Lemuel thought he understood the critical components of my towing system and tried to duplicate what he thought was important. He also thought he was competent to launch, climb out, release, and land because he had done so consistently numerous times. He simply forgot or ignored the dangers of (1) towing without an instructor present, (2) using an inexperienced crew, (3) not using an observer with the winch, (4) not using a reliable release at the pilot end of the towline, (5) using a pocket knife rather than a hook knife as an emergency pilot release, (6) not having an emergency release at the winch end of the towline, (7) failing to release from tow, (8) dragging a slack towline, (9) overflying the tow vehicle, and (10) flying too high on a short towline. These are mistakes that cost him his life. They are also mistakes well known to the towing community and must continue to be emphasized in every tow-training program. My mistake was failing to emphasize the danger of these mistakes sufficiently to prevent him from making them.

Donnell
Davis,
Why Davis? Why does that serial killing motherfucker merit your direct correspondence? Why not post this on your own website or, failing that, to the forum as a Davis Show Member In Good Standing? Trying to maintain a little buffer zone?
No, they did not simply hook the rope to the pickup.
Good thing. This one could've been really serious if they had.
They were using a home built payout winch...
Name some payout winches that AREN'T home built. You emphasize "home built" to help shade this guy as a fringer. Tell us one thing that was wrong with it.
...that I have never seen.
Please do tell us what was wrong with it when you see it. And make it good 'cause we've got mainstreamers doing fixed line surface tow. Not to mention the fact that ALL AT is fixed line.
And, I suspect that they tested its tension setting by pulling some line out immediately before foot-launching...
Why is he foot launching? He's got the "skill" to foot launch, fly upright on the control tubes, make the easy reach to his easily reachable actuator while flying the glider with the other hand, foot land... But not the skill to prone out and execute a coordinated turn or two?
...because that is the procedure they had been practicing when using my equipment.
They who? I think we just slipped up and revealed that wife Patricia G. Lopez was driving, knew something about towing gliders, maybe had taken lessons. In the previous post you identified her as an "inexperienced driver" which could easily cover the bottom third of the proficiency range. (If you wanna try make a case that there's all that fuckin' much proficiency involved in payout rig driving - which there isn't.) I think Lemmy was doing enough things right to not have put somebody totally green behind the wheel - which is what I'd been assuming all these years until just now. And there's not a snowball's chance in hell that if he HAD done that you wouldn't have pounced on it for every inch you could've gotten. The plot just majorly thinned.
But when one fails to release and overflies the payout winch...
...which, we'll soon find out, never came anywhere close to happening...
...the normal towing tension is enough to force the glider into the ground, especially when the towline is routed over the control bar.
Even though it wasn't routed over the control bar. There was no reason for it to have been and you never state that it was. But hey... Sure doesn't hurt to imply that it was.
I am confident that they were...
They were. Not he was.
...also using a weak link (because that was what they always trained on)...
Patricia was a student of his. Probably had lessons and experience comparable to his.

Remember this fishy smelling chunk from the previous post?:
When the driver could no longer see the pilot in the rear view mirror, the driver stopped and may even have backed up somewhat before getting out of the pickup to watch the flight. The pilot apparently tried to release without success by cutting his weak link with a pocket knife. He continued to fly straight ahead with the towline draped over the control bar still attached to the pickup. When the towline tightened, the glider nosed down and the pilot crashed head first into the ground.
That I commented on? There's TWO pilots involved in this one. One's flying, the other's driving. Which is exactly how you want things done.
...but again a towline force sufficient to cause a tuck is not sufficient to break a weak link.
Well then how is it all that great in keeping you from getting into too much trouble? I'm thinking Tad-O-Link.
Clearly, Lemuel thought he understood the critical components of my towing system and tried to duplicate what he thought was important.
- Pity he didn't understand the critical components of a solid platform rig - like everybody up the road in Houston had been using since the beginning of time - and try to duplicate what he thought was important.

- Thought you said:
He was also progressing well in ground school...
Just how fucking well does he need to progress in ground school to understand the critical components of your towing system and duplicate what he thought was important? There's never been the slightest shred of evidence that there was the slightest relevant issue with his towing system or that he missed something you got right. Just this nonstop innuendo.
He also thought he was competent to launch, climb out, release, and land because he had done so consistently numerous times.
So then how wasn't he? 38 consecutive launches and you don't cite a single issue with any of them. I had my Two after five more. So was the problem with the student or with the instructor?
He simply forgot or ignored the dangers of (1) towing without an instructor present...
I didn't need a fuckin' instructor present for that level of flying. After those 43 I WAS the fuckin' instructor. And I was a lot less full o' shit than a lot of my seniors were.
(2) using an inexperienced crew
Yeah? I missed the part where you told us what Patricia did wrong.
(3) not using an observer with the winch...
To try to compensate for that easily reachable and reliable placebo release you taught him to reliably release with.
(4) not using a reliable release at the pilot end of the towline...
Totally with you there. But it was a duplicate of the crap you taught him would be just fine. I myself was fed that same bullshit on my first ever tow. 1980/11/14, Seahawk 180, frame-only connection, foot launch, smooth evening wind, probably 25, kited up to 500 feet. Tell me why you couldn't have had Lemmy doing something comparable.
(5) using a pocket knife rather than a hook knife as an emergency pilot release
Bullshit on more levels than I care to go into - beyond the basic fact that he DIDN'T use a pocket knife rather than a hook knife as an emergency pilot release.
(6) not having an emergency release at the winch end of the towline
- Yours being a spare student with a hook knife? You've already established that there was nobody on the winch so this sounds a little like piling on.

- 1999/02/27 - Rob Richardson - Dewey, Arizona. There was an emergency release at the tug end of the towline, Corey Burk made a good decision in the interest of his safety, killed him and knocked his passenger unconscious. The only reason you want emergency releases at the winch end of the towline is 'cause you send students up with total crap for the primary releases at the back end of the towline.
(7) failing to release from tow
- Why do you think? I'da thunk that would've been a pretty fundamental skill and you're gonna report that he was doing fine with it. Ya think it was just another example of a pilot's skills failing him when he most needed them not to?

- Failing to use a release that he could use to release from tow whenever he actually needed to. He used the crap on which you trained him and believed the crap you taught him.
(8) dragging a slack towline
- He didn't.
- Nobody ever got a skinned knee from dragging a slack towline.
(9) overflying the tow vehicle
He didn't.
...and (10) flying too high on a short towline.
- He didn't.

- How do you get hurt flying too high on a short towline?

- It's a fucking payout winch so you CAN'T fly too high on a short towline.

- When you're on a platform launch - which Lemmy should've been - you start out at a ZERO length towline and as you're doing your initial climbout your towline is pretty damn close to zero. So what's your problem with short payout towlines?
These are mistakes that cost him his life.
Great job, Donnell. There's so little valid and legitimate in your list it's not even worth reviewing to get an accuracy percentage.
They are also mistakes well known to the towing community...
Fuck the towing community and the horse it rode in on. If it had anything in the way of legitimacy you'd have been immediately disemboweled for publishing crap like this.
...and must continue to be emphasized in every tow-training program.
Not yours though. I think yours has just totally and permanently crashed and burned.
My mistake was failing to emphasize the danger of these mistakes sufficiently to prevent him from making them.
Your mistake? Where to even begin?

The quality of these two submissions tells us all we'll ever need to know about the quality of your instruction. Incompetent, illegitimate, can't be trusted an inch.

How well are your priorities riding this one out?
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

Truck towing accident in south Texas
Gerry Grossnegger - 2010/10/20 03:47:23 UTC

What kind of release was at the top end of the rope?
One very very reliable easily stowed bent pin jobs like Davis sells. Davis has never had a problem pulling his so we know they're fine. So we know he got at least that much right.
What kind of rope was it (twisted or braided)?
Twisted. Like T** at K*** S******.
Marc Fink - 2010/10/20 07:36:24 UTC

Students are often motivated to save money and hasten progress (as they see it) by getting their own gear so they can fly on their own early in their development.
Fuckin' students. Pretty much all idiots - if you want my opinion.
Dallas Willis - 2010/10/20 15:11:04 UTC

six hang gliding lessons ... totaling about ten minutes [airtime] in nine months.

Really no reason to read past that sentence.
There are TONS of reasons to read past that sentence. 'Specially seeing as how we can't even tell whether that's directed against the student, the instructor, both.

My take... Pretty fuckin' obvious that Lemmy was putting a helluva a lot more effort into his advancement as a pilot than Donnell was.

But we can jump to your 2010/10/26 13:57:48 UTC post and see that you're one hundred percent dumping on the victim.
Brian McMahon - 2010/10/20 15:46:37 UTC

I can hardly believe someone with the brains to be a lawyer did this.
But you're perfectly OK with someone with the brains to be a physics professor saying:
Donnell Hewett - 1982/09

In addition to the above mentioned roll and yaw tendancies, there is some sideways force on the pilot due to the body line. This is illustrated below:

As can be seen, this sideways force tends to pull the pilot over to the correct side to make the glider turn naturally in the proper direction.
Jim Rooney - 2010/10/20 18:44:20 UTC

Thanks for the update from Lionel.
- He goes by DONNELL - asshole. Which you'd know if you knew shit about the history of the sport.

- Yeah. Fantastic job, Davis.

- Any thoughts on why Lionel's not posting:
-- here on Davis's dump?
-- over on Peter's dump where he's registered and has participated in the recent past?

- Any comment on the contrast between this 2010/10/20 02:27:23 UTC update from Lionel and the 2010/10/24 / 2010/10/26 05:49:12 UTC and final ever anywhere update from Lionel? Just kidding.
Spot on Dallas.
Totally. Lemmy was a total asshole who got what was coming to him and Lionel did everything 100.00 percent right - way above and beyond the call of duty.
Thanks for the update from Lionel.

Spot on Dallas.
That's the first and last we're gonna hear from this keenly intellectual egomaniacal little douchebag who loves nothing more than hearing himself run his mouth.

Really no reason to read past those two sentences / nine words.

P.S. Dallas. A compliment from Jim Keen-Intellect Rooney is the ABSOLUTE LAST thing anyone's gonna want on his record.
P.P.S. No, strike that. An endorsement of Jim Keen-Intellect Rooney would be a tiny bit worse.
Rob Clarkson - 2010/10/20 23:44:40 UTC

I don't really find this that surprising. Just the nature of learning to hang glide has a lot of risk and we work very hard to keep our students within their limits and safe. Just about every student I've ever seen stick with it pushes against those boundarys we set to try and keep them safe. Always always always it's move down the hill your too high, no your not ready to move up any further, it's too windy we can't fly today. Just about never do they except what they are told with out question. At least not the ones who will stick with it.

Some manage to listen and learn enough to stay safe, some push harder and I've seen students get hurt bad early on when they refused to listen and will quite and never come back. Some get lucky and don't get hurt but learn their lesson the hard and expenisive way.

This is very sad and tragic news but really not surprising. Just makes me think he had the love and desire to really stick too it. I would say he really wasn't any different than the rest of us that have the sport in our blood.

One thing I'm unclear of, he was using a pay out winch with only 250' of line? That seem very odd to me.
My take...

Anyone who butchers the English language to the extent you do has no fuckin' business teaching aviation to anyone. Some of the grammar stuff I can let slide but "boundarys" and "expenisive"? A simple spell check picks those up and makes you look less incompetent. If that's too much trouble to run you can bet your bottom dollar that the instruction - which is pretty much all about communication - is gonna be massively incompetent.
Davis Straub - 2010/10/21 15:47:05 UTC

That is very unclear. I think (from emails from Donnell) that there was more than 250' on the reel (not clear how much a real payout winch it was) but that only 250' were out when the driver stopped the truck.
The conspicuously unidentified driver stopped the truck.
Davis Straub - 2010/10/21 16:31:43 UTC

Sent: Wednesday, October 20, 2010 6:57 AM
To: Davis Straub
Subject: RE: Truck towing accident?

Davis,

Yes, that is my understanding. I do not know if that was the total length of the rope including what was wound up on the reel or the length of the rope strung out while towing. His brother, who heard from the only eye witness, told me that there was towline still on the reel after the accident. Therefore, I suspect that there was about 250 ft of line between the pickup and the pilot.

Donnell
Davis,
Sounds like you're monitoring the discussion pretty well, Donnell. How come you're not directly participating in it?
Yes, that is my understanding. I do not know if that was the total length of the rope including what was wound up on the reel...
Oh. You're gonna include that? A fatal lockout almost immediately after getting airborne? Probably a good idea.
...or the length of the rope strung out while towing.
The same as an AT towline.
His brother, who heard from the only eye witness...
- The ONLY EYEWITNESS?

So either the driver never saw ANYTHING of the glider from the signal to roll until a bit after impact and there was a totally unidentified individual watching from the passenger's seat, behind the glider, along the side of the road (we know that he or she wasn't on the back of the truck 'cause we've already established that there was no "observer with the winch") or the driver was the only eyewitness.

We're really bending over backwards to obscure the identity of the driver, aren't we Lionel? How come?

- His sister-in-law, right? (Jesus H. Christ.) And "eye witness" is one word. If you're gonna beat it do death this much at least learn to spell it right.

- Probably doesn't wanna ever speak to you again, huh? And just how well do you think all the total crap you've been posting about this one would be going over with her? Or the brother/brother-in-law either - for that matter.
...told me that there was towline still on the reel after the accident. Therefore, I suspect that there was about 250 ft of line between the pickup and the pilot.
Duh.
Gregg Ludwig - 2010/10/24 13:16:14 UTC

Low'n'slow training with proper equipment is a great way to introduce HG to new students and get them hooked on flying. A training program, however, that only provides 10 minutes of airtime with 6 lessons over a 9 month period is seriously lacking...
How 'bout Joe Greblo who won't let anybody touch the control bar...

16-031309
http://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4348/37169463766_6f13e0b9fe_o.png

...before he's racked up forty hours?
it is no wonder this student tried to speed up his progress on his own. A some point early on, students should be referred to professional instructors who offer tandem training for the fastest, safest and easiest way to learn.

- Didn't say anything about the most rewarding.
Bille Floyd - 2010/10/24 14:48:32 UTC

Hope nobody thinks that I'm overstepping boundaries here,with this statement,
If you do it won't matter. All these mainstream Administrators want as many as possible total morons posting to help gum up the works for people with halfway intelligent stuff to say.
But i'm going to say it anyway...
No shit.
"There simply --IS NO BETTER WAY-- it introduce a new-be to the fundamentals of Hang Gliding, than tandem time with an instructor" ( . )
When tandem,the student doesn't have that,( I'm all alone here - what happens if I forget ), feeling and the learning curve increases exponentially.
I NEVER ONCE had that feeling flying solo. Even on 1982/08/08, Flight 497, High Top, Comet 165 when I was sledding down into that tiny dangerous LZ scared sick 'cause I'd had total shit instruction on how to pull off an actual RLF approach. I figured it out myself on the way in and ever afterwards I was pretty fuckin' bulletproof.
Not even a radio on the helmet will give a person the same security as another human, ready to take-over, if things go Bad !!
I don't want anybody telling me how to do it in the air and I definitely don't want anybody taking over my glider.
Marc Fink - 2010/10/24 15:12:20 UTC

I'd be careful about judgments that qualify one training method as being better over another.
Hey people of varying ages... Come over here and punch a hole in anything you find wanting. There's been nothing very significant in our near nine year history and it's a pretty good bet that we're now totally watertight.
I would argue...
You got all the mainstreamer douchebags giving you tons of covering fire. So you shouldn't really need to argue much.
...that training with the "low and slow" scooter as being more effective and safer in initial training than any other-
Unless you count what happens after you've graduated from the "low and slow" scooter and gotten out in the REAL world where control authority starts actually mattering.
-but tandems certainly have their place-
Making money off of bucket listers.
-as do foot-launch training hills and other towing methods--as a training methods.
Davis Straub - 2010/10/24 15:27:32 UTC

This is a much better way - low and slow "scooter" tow training. It is by far the "best" way to get introduced to hang gliding.
But it's not real hang gliding 'cause you're not running off a slope to get airborne.
It has been shown rather conclusively by the analysis of the results at Lookout Mountain that getting the student to "fly" first on their own is what gives them that "pivotal" experience.
And Matt's published these findings in most of the leading scientific journals.
Tandem instruction suffers from numerous defects which I don't need to go into now.
That's OK, I'm sure you'll cover them in depth as soon as you get some free time.
Bille Floyd - 2010/10/24 16:08:58 UTC

Sometimes I forget about stepping on toes,
I Don't have any !!
'Cause you never did hook-in checks just prior to launch!! Like it's said in the SOPs since the beginning of time!! And you still won't do or even endorse them!! (And that was a foot launch surface tow by the way.)
Davis--"FLY" first...
Rick-- "Low and slow"...
Tad-- "Go fuck yourself"...
Guess we Kinda Need all of them to build a rounded pilot !
The kind who gets along well with all the people who matter.
Sam Kellner - 2010/10/24 16:14:52 UTC

Let's not get in an argument about which method is best...bla bla... subject: accident in S Tx.
Alright. How 'bout a discussion about an "accident" in SW Tx?

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8143/7462005802_bbc0ac66ac_o.jpg

http://www.ushawks.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1081
Platform towing /risk mitigation / accident
Sam Kellner - 2012/07/03 02:25:58 UTC

No, you don't get an accident report.
OK, I'm totally outta ideas.
Gregg said at some point AFTER the low and slow instruction...

After the low and slow, what we have available in Lemuel's area is tandem instruction, eventhough it would be a considerable drive from Edinburg, it would have most likely saved his life.
Says...
Martin Apopot - Texas - 87177 - H3 - 2012/07/16 - Sam Kellner - AT FL PL ST CL FSL RLF
Terry James Mason - Leakey, Texas - 31982 - H3 - 2011/07/22 - Sam Kellner
Gregg makes the "real" point, that a student shouldn't have to wait 9mo. to get 10min of airtime. Accident waiting (ornot) to happen for the second time this year in Reg11.
2010/06/26 / Packsaddle / John Seward. Four months and a couple weeks prior.
Sam,
SW Texas Hang Gliders
Yahoo!
Marc Fink - 2010/10/24 22:17:49 UTC

I don't know if you guys really mean it--but asserting that the student "shouldn't have to wait" sounds almost like implying a deficiency on the instructor/school.
Ya think?
Who knows what the reasons are for the lesson frequency/progression.
Donnell would probably be a real good resource for that one. But I don't hear him commenting - for some odd reason. Another real good bet... The only "eye witness". His kids...
My take is the real failure was in judgment.
Mine too. Huge multiple failures. But we're probably talking about different individuals here.
Gerry Grossnegger - 2010/10/25 19:06:34 UTC

What it really sounds like is a release failure.
A make-shift "Linknife" constructed from a thin plastic tube with two single-edged razor blades inserted parallel to one another inside activated by a rope attached to the pilot's harness on the left side, similar to the way he had been trained. No-brainer.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

Truck towing accident in south Texas
Jeff Nibler - 2010/10/25 19:16:36 UTC
Marc Fink - 2010/10/24 22:17:49 UTC
That's exactly what I was thinking...
You're on real shaky ground whenever you're thinking anything in the ballpark that Marc is.
...who says the student was able and willing to go to the instructor more often than he did?
How come the instructor hasn't whispered a single syllable about that being an issue or any degree of problem in his training?
Or was progressing quickly enough for longer air time?
I dunno... Let's take a look at the second and third sentences we have on the Lemmy incident from his highly experienced and esteemed instructor:
Donnell Hewett - 2010/10/19 13:21:59 UTC

He was progressing well with consistently good take-offs, climb outs, straight flights, releases, and landings. He was also progressing well in ground school and was well aware of the risks of trying to tow on his own.
Solid as a rock. Any other ideas?
Or that the weather was cooperating when the student was available?!
- See above. Also below. The issue's off the table.
- Also note that Donnell isn't addressing a lot of the issues being raised here. If he's:
- following this discussion and not addressing these issues that's a huge fucking problem.
- not following this discussion that's also a huge fucking problem.
Pick one.
Where I trained, some people took years to get their H2 while others got it in one week... same school, same training methods, same everything.
- See above. He was doing fine. And bear in mind that Lemmy took the initiative to put together a tow system with which nobody's found or will find any degree of fault - as far as it went And if it was solid enough to quickly get him up to 25 feet and lock him out and kill him then it was also solid enough to get him safely up to a thousand feet.

- If some people are taking YEARS to get a fucking NOVICE rating on the same training schedule that the weekers are doing it - and they are 'cause you've just said "same everything" - then there's something SERIOUSLY WRONG with this picture. And there is. Bullshit like that would NEVER happen in any legitimate flavor of aviation. And it never USED TO happen even in hang gliding.
Student participation, availability, and conditions at time of availability have a huge impact. Why assume the instructor or his program was the bottleneck?
Because the instructor says absolutely nothing about any of these issues. Fuckin' period.
Gregg Ludwig - 2010/10/25 19:43:50 UTC

The dead pilot's instructor reports 6 lesson days over a 9 month period including 36 tows...
Nope. At this point he's said "Some thirty". He'll soon amend that to "some 38".
...resulting in:

-about 10 min. of airtime
-no ratings
There's no fuckin' way he shouldn't have been rated a One - based on what Donnell's already told us. And he's UNDOUBTEDLY keeping him upright on the control tubes so he can more quickly, efficiently, safely get his flare timing perfected. And what he SHOULD have been doing was getting him proned out, pulling him up to five hundred feet, having him work on hard coordinated turns.
-fatality
Show me some videos of tandem "instructional" flights staying upright any longer than they have to...

066-42014
http://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1950/46206626512_706984e9a5_o.png

...after foot launches. And damn near all of them are towed up from wheels and land on wheels...

149-74316
http://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4878/31318159957_023202f2d9_o.png

...regardless of how they got airborne.
I feel it is safe to assume the training program had deficiencies.
It's safe to bet the fuckin' farm.
Gregg Ludwig - 2010/10/25 20:05:14 UTC

I would agree and support a quality low and slow training method to introduce the fundamentals of hang gliding, for many reasons.....but geez an introduction shouldn't take 9 months and result in only 10 min of airtime. Modern training programs and equipment can achieve results much more quickly than what this pilot experienced.
Donnell for the most part stayed stuck in what he came up with in the early Eighties.
Sam Kellner - 2010/10/26 00:00:55 UTC
Gerry Grossnegger - 2010/10/25 19:06:34 UTC

What it really sounds like is a release failure.
Yep, nothing that I've heard yet really defines what release, if any, he had.
Idiot.
Release failure or failure to release, then nosing over. There was a report that said he attempted to cut loose with his pocket knife :?:
Define "report".
I doubt I could pull that off, not from 250'.
Give it a shot anyway, pigfucker.
It would be interesting to see a picture of his winch he made and what type of release.
Then we can see how home built and make-shift it is.
Tragic. :(
Tragic it wasn't you.
Davis Straub - 2010/10/26 01:43:31 UTC

Hewitt bridle?
- Auto correcting for roll. Wonder why it didn't work?
- How many times have you seen "Hewett" spelled correctly in this thread so far? I count three.
- Four with the next post and you never go back and correct anything. Suits me just fine though.
Davis Straub - 2010/10/26 05:49:12 UTC

Revised Accident Report 10-24-10
Let's see what I've missed before.
This letter is a follow-up of my original accident report of Lemuel Lopez's fatal hang gliding accident in order to confirm and correct various aspects of that earlier report.
Confirm and flatly contradict various aspects of that earlier report.
After interviewing the witness...
- And since you say ABSOLUTELY NOTHING about her credentials, experience, familiarity with hang glider towing it's a real safe bet that I was spot on with my deductions.

- That must've been loads of fun - for both of you.
...consulting with the police investigator...
...slipping him fifty bucks to help persuade him not to investigate too thoroughly...
...and inspecting the equipment...
Pity you didn't photograph any of it to show us just how crappy it was.
...and crash site...
Which you don't identify.
I believe the following facts are in evidence:
If you hafta believe them then they're not facts.
On October 13, 2010, at approximately 6:30 pm CDT, Lemuel Lopez age 45 was killed while towing a Wills Wing Falcon hang glider...
No mention of the size or if he was flying that glider at your operation.
...on a public road...
Which you don't identify as well as the mainstream media does.
...just north of Edinburg, Texas. Prior to the accident, he had taken 6 hang gliding lessons from me and logged some 38 flights totaling about 10 minutes in 9 months. He had progressed to the point of towing up to as high as 100 ft with consistently good foot-launchings, climb outs, straight flights, releases, and landings.
- I've had plenty of dune students do pretty much all that shit on their first lessons.

- What's a "good release"? All releases are good in straight flights - which were all that he was doing. What did you do to prepare him for releases when the shit's hit the fan and the glider's rolled on its ear the way it was the first time he went out into the REAL world?

You got him doing foot landings and getting his flare timing perfected in case he needed to land in a narrow dry riverbed with large rocks strewn all over the place - of which you have NONE within a five hundred mile radius. How come you don't train him to be able to handle the air he found on his first time out in his own backyard?

Got any videos of any of your more advanced students practicing emergency releases during induced lockouts at safe altitude? Does any other instructor or school? Why not?
He was able to handle and make corrections for light turbulence, mild wind gradients...
Really impressive. How long did it take?
...and slight cross-winds...
Oh really? So for a slight crosswind you have him steer back upwind to get back in line with the truck. Like this asshole:

18-3003

has just done in a more substantial crosswind at Steve Exceptionally-Knowledgeable Wendt's operation.

You don't "CORRECT" for crosswinds. You let the fuckin' glider drift and track where it wants to - pointing at the truck. That's EXACTLY what got hotshot Hang Five comp pilot John Woiwode mostly killed on 2005/07/07. Doesn't seem to be an issue here though 'cause he drifted and locked out right.
...but he had not advanced to the point of making major corrections or banked turns.
What was stopping him? You? That's the only sane conclusion I'm able to draw. You weren't teaching this guy how to fly. You were preventing him from learning to fly. If he learns to fly at a sane rate of time you don't get to sell him as many lessons. I'm familiar with that scam from my earliest days in the sport.
He was progressing well in ground school...
Really? What was a guy you hadn't authorized to begin practicing turns in 38 flights learning in ground school?
...and was fully aware of the risks of trying to tow on his own.
- Doesn't sound like what you were teaching him in ground school was sinking in all that well. So how do you really know he was progressing well?

- You?
Donnell Hewett - 1982/09

In addition to the above mentioned roll and yaw tendancies, there is some sideways force on the pilot due to the body line. This is illustrated below:

As can be seen, this sideways force tends to pull the pilot over to the correct side to make the glider turn naturally in the proper direction.
Teaching aeronautical theory?

- Undoubtedly also the risks of trying to tow with you - going broke and dying of boredom or old age - whichever hits first.
That was why he was taking professional lessons and why he tried very hard to duplicate the system he was training on and to follow the procedures he was learning.
See above about the crosswinds.
Unfortunately, the system he had acquired was unproven...
And yet everything worked exactly as it should've. Go figure.

No, wait. The auto-correcting Skyting Bridle didn't weight shift him back to level and back into position behind the truck. Did you take it back with you to test fly and figure out why it didn't work?

And then there's his Infallible Weak Link which failed to succeed when it was supposed to. How come you're not telling us anything about it?
...and the experience he had acquired was inadequate for him to properly evaluate the weather conditions and to tow safely on his own.
Bull fucking shit. That has ZILCH to do with EXPERIENCE and damn near everything to do with common sense. But if you're claiming that was an issue and that he was progressing well in ground school then I don't know what the hell you were covering in ground school.
Only after the accident did I learn that his primary release was a make-shift "Linknife" constructed from a thin plastic tube with two single-edged razor blades inserted parallel to one another inside.
So they were single-edged razor blades inserted parallel to one another inside a thin plastic tube. They weren't ANGLED to converge and form a "V" the way a GENUINE Linknife is constructed. What a total moron. It's totally astounding that he got it to work AT ALL in the preflight tests and during the lockout emergency. Go figure.
It was activated by a rope attached to the pilot's harness on the left side, similar to the way he had been trained.
Good thing you only need one hand to pull it when the situation's going tits up.
His secondary release was a high quality folding utility knife with the standard one-inch blade.
- Guess he was flying with it in his pocket 'cause you're not telling us shit otherwise.

- So since he was duplicating all the equipment on which you’d been training him I guess this was SOP 'cept for the high quality of the folding utility knife with the standard one-inch blade.

- What kind of total fucking idiot considers anything remotely like this a secondary release?

- You've got him on Saint Peter of Birren's Linknife. It's physically impossible for those things to fail. (Just as long as there's no wheat stubble around within a hundred yard radius.) Why were you training him to fly with a secondary release? And if you had to fly him with a secondary release then how come it wasn't another Linknife activated by a rope attached to the pilot's harness on the right side?

- How come sailplanes have never used or needed secondary releases since the beginning of time? I thought the unique quality and beauty of the hang glider was its simplicity.
His payout winch was home-built with a wheel for adjusting the brake tension but with no emergency tension release and no hook knife to cut the line.
- There was no one on the back of the truck. So why the fuck WOULD there have been a hook knife to cut the line?

- And if they'd had the luxury of a backender they'd have been way too stupid to provide him with something to use to cut the line.

- How come the towline is a "line" and the lanyard for the make-shift "Linknife" is a "rope"?

- I just figured out that the brake pressure adjustment wheel is on the winch and not in the cab. And thus with no back end observer it's only good for presetting resistance. And since he's duplicating your equipment and you're not pointing out that your system is adjustable from the cab you're configured about the same way. Big surprise - considering you're also not configured for platform.
On the evening of the accident, the pilot and driver setup the towing system, adjusted the winch tension...
Since they can't do anything about it after they'd started rolling.
...and tested the pilot primary release several times to see that everything was working properly.
It wasn't, of course, due to the make-shift and parallel blades issues. But Lemmy said what the hell and hoped for better luck in the air.
The winds were reported...
Obviously by Patricia - which you're conspicuously not telling us.
...to be variable with maximum speeds estimated to be below fifteen miles per hour.
- Suggesting that the max was getting close to fifteen. But "variable". This is estimated at 18:30 CDT, sunset for that date in Corpus Christie is 19.01. So we're not talking about thermal blasts.

- The winds WERE NOT reported to be variable switching around from all different directions at up to fourteen miles per hour - which is what you're implying.
The pilot was eager to fly, but waited until a lull in the wind before giving the signal to accelerate.
The wind was significantly cross from the left/southwest. If it had been reasonably straight down the runway he'd have taken it when it peaked.
The pilot launched westward on an east-west paved roadway with grass fields on both sides. The take-off was good and the pilot climbed to approximately 25 ft with a ground speed of 20 to 25 mph before drifting to the right, out of sight of the driver who was looking through the rear-view mirror. The driver immediately looked over her shoulder only to see the glider in a steep bank to the right.
Since he'd never once had any practice in serious roll control input. Oh well, at least he died with an excellent career long record of light touch control.
By the time the driver could stop the pickup...
Probably using a light touch on the brake pedal.
...the glider had crashed in the grass field approximately 100 ft to the right side of the tow road.
XC. First effort. Well done.
Inspection of the equipment after the crash showed that the right wing had broken where it joins the cross-bar, that the keel had broken near the hang point...
Really? The keel broke and the main and backup loops and steel carabiner were all still OK? Must have been a corrosion and/or metal fatigue issue.
...and that the control bars had been mangled.
How 'bout the basetube? (Catch that? Control barS.)
An autopsy revealed that the right side of the pilot had numerous broken bones and that there was a severe head injury in spite of the pilot wearing a safety helmet.
- Good thing he went in upright. Just think how severe his head injury would've been if he'd been flying prone.
- Sounds like he was using a salad bowl on a string. You'da thunk we'd have learned something after Robin Strid.
Inspection of the site revealed that the towline was approximately 250 ft long at the time of the accident and lined up with the crashed glider with its free end approximately 100 ft from the glider. The weak link had been cut...
Which tells us that as this glider was violently locking out Lemmy was flying the glider with one hand - the right one on the right "control bar". Seems to be pretty good support for the theory that you need to use TWO hands to safely control a hang glider. (Right...

http://ozreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=31052
Poll on weaklinks
Brad Gryder - 2013/02/21 23:25:31 UTC

There's also a way to swing your body way outside the control frame so it stays up there while you reach out with one hand and release. Come on - do some pushups this winter. :roll: See if you can advance up to some one-arm pushups.
...Cloud Hopper?)
...and was lined up with the glider and towline, approximately 30 ft from the glider.

Analysis of the above facts suggests that the primary cause of the accident was the weather conditions.
Not MY analysis, motherfucker. If the pilot's not prone with both hands on the control bar, tons of airspeed, safely and securely connected to the towline, the ability to release so configured we don't start looking at or for other issues - 'specially hypothetical ones.
...Although we do not know the direction of the wind at the time of the accident, the fact that the pilot launched westward suggests that the wind at the time of take-off was from the west.
He immediately drifted right. The wind was southwest.
However, the prevailing wind at that location is from the southeast...
So what? They took off - IMMEDIATELY and SUCCESSFULLY - to the WEST.
...so there is a reasonable probability that the wind at 25 ft was stronger than that at take-off...
Yes, the wind at 25 feet is virtually ALWAYS gonna be stronger than the stuff in which we're walking. But not MUCH and not enough to be talking about on this one.
...and from the left. If that were the case, it would have caused the glider to drift and bank to the right as observed.
Bullshit. It wasn't observed to bank. It was totally out of sight when it banked. It was only observed when it was steeply banked to the right and almost certainly beyond the point of recovery whether still on or shortly off tow.
In any case, the fact that the wind was variable with speeds approaching 15 mph would likely have produced a significant wind gradient when launching from a lull.
Rubbish. And it wasn't gusted either 'cause the driver had the windows down in order to be able to do launch communications, she'd have been aware of any serious shit going on with the air, and she didn't report any.
Even if the wind gradient were head on, it would have caused the glider to climb rapidly and the pilot to pull in hard on the control bar to keep from climbing higher.
- Perish the thought.

- Yeah, will all instinctively do that when we find ourselves climbing up through the kill zone at a real good clip.

- I notice you're not saying as he was trained to do in ground school.

- You've got him foot launching with his hands on the left and right control bars. So he CAN'T pull in hard. Well, he can pull in HARD but he can't pull in very FAR. We see this sorta problem in the sport,,,

http://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4174/34261733815_bfb41c49d8_o.jpg
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-bRrpHNa68iY/UQ6Pv9gRZyI/AAAAAAAAjTg/Hc22bx5122Q/s2048/20943781_BG1.jpg

...quite a bit.
In either case, if the pilot had tried to release at the first sign of trouble as he had been trained to do...
...instead of...
Manned Kiting
The Basic Handbook of Tow Launched Hang Gliding
Daniel F. Poynter

"Never take your hands off the bar." - Tom Peghiny
...flying his glider...
...then he would have taken his hand off the left down tube...
Great. You've already got him in...

http://ozreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=27086
Steve Pearson on landings
Steve Pearson - 2012/03/28 23:26:05 UTC

I can't control the glider in strong air with my hands at shoulder or ear height and I'd rather land on my belly with my hands on the basetube than get turned downwind.
...in a dangerously decertified flying configuration during the most dangerous phase of the flight, you've trained him to do what's virtually always the worst possible response when things start going south, he does it and successfully releases by pulling the rope going to his make-shift "Linknife", and is immediately annihilated.

- I think he DID try to release at the first sign of trouble as he had been trained to do. You'd trained him how to handle and make corrections for slight cross-winds - but not shit about authoritative roll control. Which he wouldn't have been able to exercise anyway 'cause you had him upright on the on the control bars with shit airspeed and no experience with the technique for getting substantially more.

So he launches with a left crosswind from straight behind the truck in brief lull. The wind picks back up as he's climbing through the gradient and the glider drifts to the right / downwind and keeps pointing at the truck. So far everything's fine.

But you'd trained him how to handle and make corrections for slight cross-winds and to release at the first sign of trouble. So no problem. Being substantially downwind of but not behind the truck is definitely a sign of trouble - at the very least - and he's got shit airspeed and shit roll control authority and experience. So what the hell. Make the easy reach to the make-shift "Linknife" and maybe bag it and come back tomorrow evening to give it another shot in lighter conditions.
Manned Kiting
The Basic Handbook of Tow Launched Hang Gliding
Daniel F. Poynter

"Never take your hands off the bar." - Tom Peghiny
"The greatest dangers are a rope break or a premature release." - Richard Johnson
End of fuckin' story.

This is pretty much 2005/07/07 John Woiwode redux. 'Cept he launched platform and flew prone with both hands on the control tubes connector bar with Hang Five experience and skills and tons of airspeed and roll control authority and the ability to completely correct for a strong crosswind. So he corrected for the crosswind all the way back to behind the truck and into a violent lockout, made the easy reach to his release rope, got BRUTALLY, TOTALLY, PERMANENTLY DEMOLISHED right after the safety of the towing operation was increased.

Also, by the way, a Peter Birren Linknife cocksucker - although he wasn't using one at the time and released just as successfully anyway.

I know ENTIRELY what happened now during the interval in which the glider was out of view of the driver. Thanks bigtime, Donnell. This one's been bugging me for close to a decade.
...long enough to release.
Did you ever consider implementing a release that didn't require any time, effort, control authority compromise to blow?

20-22804
http://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8262/29074014833_6b92a0f6d7_o.png

Just kidding.
If his make-shift release failed to release immediately...
Total fucking bullshit. There isn't the slightest shred of evidence or logic upon which to base a speculation that the release didn't respond fully and flawlessly within a millisecond of it getting the signal.
...his continued pull-in on the right side of the control bar would have produced a strong roll and turn to the right as observed.
Or maybe a gravity wave. Who can say for sure?
The amount of time from the initiation of the roll-out until the impact on the ground could only have been a matter of seconds, probably about 5 seconds.
Amazing how much totally bogus speculation one can squeeze into a time interval like that.
The glider would have accelerated during the roll-out and the pilot would have impacted on the ground head-first on his right side at approximately 40 mph.
59 feet per second. Sure. Sounds pretty reasonable.
It is doubtful that the pilot had time to even consider using his back-up release. In all probability, the primary release finally functioned immediately before impact or upon impact, cutting the weak link too late for the pilot to have any chance of recovery or survival.
What a massively incompetent effort to redirect attention away from legitimate and freakin' obvious issues.

You weren't a big and economically powerful enough operation to get away with this one, Donnell. Wallaby, Quest, Lockout, Manquin, Ridgely, Whitewater, Mission, Greblo... No problem.

And gee... Where were all your graduates when you really needed them to speak up in your defense?
<BS>

Post by <BS> »

You don't "CORRECT" for crosswinds. You let the fuckin' glider drift and track where it wants to - pointing at the truck. That's EXACTLY what got hotshot Hang Five comp pilot John Woiwode mostly killed on 2005/07/07. Doesn't seem to be an issue here though 'cause he drifted and locked out right.
I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss this as an issue. What's described as drifting to the right could have alternatively been forcing the glider upwind to the right.
As in the picture above, this glider did not drift to the left. It seems to me, cross from the right would be a more "reasonable probability".

Edit- Sorry, did this reply before reading to the end of your post.
So he corrected for the crosswind all the way back to behind the truck and into a violent lockout...
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

Oh good. As I began reading I was trying to figure out where I'd majorly screwed the pooch. And I'm so massively wasted now that I was totally horrified at the prospect of having to untangle something.

Thanks for the affirmation of my assessment.
---
Edit - 2019/09/26 19:50:00 UTC

No. I just carefully reread your post and realized I DID screw that up. My understanding of the situation evolved as I was composing. I'd meant to go back and revise but was too fried to remember when I thought I'd gotten my ducks in a row. Glad you caught it - otherwise it would've probably stayed that way for a good while.
---
Sotos - 2010/10/26 13:00:56 UTC

He continued to fly straight ahead with the towline draped over the control bar still attached to the pickup. When the towline tightened, the glider nosed down and the pilot crashed head first into the ground. He was killed on impact.
Did you bother to read the current and final revision just above over seven hours ago? Or was it way too much overload for your ninety second attention span? Aside from the part about him being killed on impact it's pretty much all total fiction. And I don't think he got this from any iffy source - 'specially seeing as how he gives us no explanation, excuse, apology. I think it's what he imagined happened and wired it into his circuitry as reality. Try reading some of his Skyting newsletters and see if you don't agree.
I am not experience in truck towing but I have done the training with this winch some years ago.
I kinda doubt it. 'Cause - unless you're a local with access to unpublished information you're not telling us about - you don't know anything more about it than the rest of us. And it doesn't sound like you were a student of Donnell's either. Maybe you just mean a vehicle mounted payout winch.
I was using a maisons 3 loop release.
Just as easily reachable, adequate load capacity, almost certainly "genuine", and you don't hafta cut and replace a goddam loop of precision fishing line every time you blow off tow or test fire it.
This release is set to pass under the control bar and attached to the hips.
No it's not. The bridle you use to configure it is. Or over.
Question: Is there any kind of release for truck towing that is set to pass over the control bar?
Yours - if you route it over the CONTROL bar.
If not then how this glider nosed down after a tightening of the towline?
It didn't. The glider was nosed down in a lockout precipitated by Lemmy trying to move upwind under constant moderate tension to behind the truck and making the easy reach with his left hand to the make-shift "Linknife"'s release rope while using his right hand on the right control bar to fly the glider into the ground a bit after coming off of tow.
Dallas Willis - 2010/10/26 13:57:48 UTC
Donnell Hewett - 2010/10/26 05:49:12 UTC

Analysis of the above facts suggests that the primary cause of the accident was the weather conditions.
You've got to be kidding right?
Read his newsletters. I have them all posted here at:
http://www.kitestrings.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=54
The primary cause of the accident was the man's own overconfidence in his meager abilities.
And his instruction from the guy of whom you just asked:
did a totally stellar job in training him over the course of his 38 training flights.
This has nothing to do with the quality of instruction...
Suck my dick, Dallas. It had virtually EVERYTHING to do with the quality of instruction, If the instruction for which he'd spent a significant load of dollars and an enormous amount of time, energy, effort hadn't been totally clueless he'd have been fine. And then he could've swapped places with Patricia and she'd have been fine.
...the wind, the glider, the weaklinks...
The weak link didn't break when it was supposed to. So tell me what its function was supposed to have been in that configuration.
...etc. Nothing other than the fact that he made a mistake and thought he could fly a hang glider on his own.
He did. He got through the most dangerous and demanding phase of the flight just fine. But then his training kicked in.

http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=11497
Aerotow release options?
Dallas Willis - 2009/04/13 18:44:46 UTC

Could you go into more detail about your push button truck tow release and the lanyard version you experimented with? I'm truck towing an awful lot lately and have yet to find a release that doesn't scare the heck out me.
Donnell was putting him up on one of those releases that scare the heck out of you and totally ignoring the several much better and totally safe options that had been available decades prior.
Sotos - 2010/10/26 15:38:27 UTC

Within this restricted experience of truck towing I know that the towline is passing under the bottom bar. If you do the mistake to pass the towline over the bottom bar instead, then in any case you fail to release or cut the line while it is tighten, you will have a nose down crash caused from the pressure of towline over the bottom bar regardless if your experience pilot or not.
How 'bout when you're stupid enough to tow with Wills Wing extended wheels...

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7597/16975005972_c450d2cdda_o.png

...and get something hooked over one of the axles? What happens then?

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8819/18267685796_64156e9c91_o.png

Also to your little kid tandem "student"? Any blame for the instructor on that one?
An alternate way of payout winch towing, is to launch from a dolly...
Duh. So how come Lemmy's stellar instructor hadn't once pushed for it in the previous two and a half decades? 'Cause his early Eighties Skyting Criteria for safe towing hadn't included that when he'd finished perfecting them?
...or foot from 100m or so behind of a truck.
Yeah, that sounds like a pretty good option if you can't be bothered to rig something for platform or get a dolly to greatly reduce the likelihood of someone getting totaled.
With this method you use the two stage (or Koch) release that is set with one shorter rope over the bar and one longer under. When the line angle is increase as much as to contact the bar you release first the shorter one (over the bar) and finally the lower one.
Or if you wanna do that option RIGHT:

13-04601
http://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48250878486_61ca224ba5_o.png
This kind of launch might not be considered as a truck towing or platform launch.
Who gives a flying fuck what something is CONSIDERED in a sport that considers the force transmitted by a towline to be PRESSURE?
Although you use the same winch, as soon as I know the truck towing or platform launch is the launch from a truck or a trailer (platform) behind the truck.
I'm getting a headache.
This report is clearing that:
He continued to fly straight ahead with the towline draped over the control bar still attached to the pickup. When the towline tightened, the glider nosed down and the pilot crashed head first into the ground.
If this launch has been performed from a platform or truck then a passing of the towline from the wrong side of a bar could be one of the reason of this accident.
See above. Oh well, let's cut him some slack. English obviously ain't his first language and Donnell's revision is massive and largely designed to mislead. And nobody bothers to get him straightened out.
Davis Straub - 2010/10/26 15:51:12 UTC

In Hobbs New Mexico I foot launched behind a payout winch (ATOL) truck with about 100 feet of rope out. The rope was below the bar. The winch was not tightened enough and I had to have them tighten it up a bit as I ran so I could get off the ground.
Do please engage in more of those sorts of options.
Mike Lake - 2010/10/26 18:44:20 UTC

I suspect there is little or no advantages in having the towline under instead of over the base-bar in a trailing line snag situation.
In either case the glider is going to nose in. It might take a fraction longer if the pilot is not holding onto the base-bar, but basically I suspect whatever, the glider is going to rotate around the rapidly decelerating or halted pilot.

I can only agree with Dallas Willis. How the weather is singled out as the primary cause amongst the list of accidents in waiting is beyond me.
I can disagree with him on a whole shitload of other stuff.
I get the impression that it is not uncommon (correct me if I'm wrong) to have just a driver and a pilot with the various payout systems in the US, with no separate winch-man.
I can't imagine not having a winch-man giving me his exclusive attention and ready to reduce, back-off, abort or cut if things get out of hand.
I can. I'm pretty sure I've done it for platform launches and I know I've done it for one hundred percent of my aero. And I don't really like the idea that there's some Rooney caliber douchebag 250 feet in front of me ready to fix whatever's going on back there by giving me the rope.
Us UK flyers are either a bunch of wooses or you US guys are a super brave outfit. :)
Yeah, we have no shortage of extremely brave people over here. Makes the fatality reports pretty entertaining.
Mike Bomstad - 2010/10/27 06:53:40 UTC

.l
---
Last edited by Mike B on 2010/10/28 03:03:06 UTC; edited 2 times in total
Very enlightening, Mike. Not to mention concise. Thanks bigtime.
Doug Doerfler - 2010/10/27 12:51:30 UTC

By these standards anything that ever happens can be weather conditions
- I was at the top of a loop and just lost air and fell into the sail
- I was flying very close to the hill in thermal conditions and a random gust of air lifted one wing
- That thunderstorm just came out of nowhere (I know this has been used)
- I had a really nice tail wind on launch, I don't understand why I crashed into the rocks
I was going up pro toad with a bent pin barrel release in violent thermal conditions at the Zapata World Record Encampment behind a Dragonfly with a flagrantly illegal three strand tow mast protector while fucking around trying to cleat off my VG with one hand while flying my topless comp blade wing with the other. Then one of those world record thermals I came down from Virginia to fly in blasted me on my ear in three milliseconds and I was locked out 'cause the Tad-O-Link T** at K*** S****** gave me didn't break when it was supposed to and pulled Russell's tail around really hard and relieved him of his towline.

This was THREE YEARS before everyone and his dog became happy with Tad-O-Links and took credit for inventing them. Tad was a real asshole. Doesn't even fly anymore. Good riddance.
---
See top of post for correction note.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

I got myself extremely run down, physically exhausted, mentally fried, eyestrained to half blindness in trying to deal with this crap.

Subsequent to my last post - 2019/09/26 19:36:13 UTC - and 2019/09/26 19:50:00 UTC edit note at the top of it I went back through my 2019/09/26 16:08:39 UTC previous and found a small shitload of typos and inconsequential errors (now hopefully all fixed).

So let's reboot on the Lemmy crash.

I don't have a problem flying a crosswind surface tow 'cause it's natural and brain dead easy. You just let the glider do what it wants to - drift downwind to the sweet spot and point at the truck.

All AT launches start out as surface tow launches. One day at Ridgely there was a really ferocious but smooth left/southwest cross for a Runway 30 launch. I was rather nervously watching things as Zach Woodall finalled in and Sunny told me to come on out.

"I wanna see if he lands safely first."

Sunny just about doubled over laughing and told me just to stay level and not worry about anything.

I came out of the cart which was tracking straight behind the tug, the glider instantly went sideways fast but I kept it level and it yawed beautifully until it was pointing straight at the starboard side of the tug. Then the tug came off and instantly yawed into the wind and off and up we went to the southwest. It was really cool and fun and it was the only time I ever did that.

But (getting more back on topic) I always have a hard time visualizing and understanding what happens to some idiot (not meaning Lemmy here, Jason Boehm - http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=35129 - Truck Towing - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LI36s50m_lI - works fine) insists on staying right behind the truck and nicely lined up with the runway.

Left cross, Avolar and Lemmy. Let's call it southwest (which is what it was for Lemmy). Crabbing upwind to get behind the westbound truck is the same as having no wind or a straight west headwind and flying to the southeast of the truck on a mostly southwest heading. Eventually the towline which is pulling with a north vector is gonna roll your glider to port and lock you out - as we're seeing in this absolutely classic still:

18-3003

from Steve Exceptionally-Knowledgeable Wendt's operation.

That's not what happened with Lemmy. He rolled and locked out to the right/north/downwind side of the road. If he subscribed to what Donnell tells us he was teaching him - and we have zilch indication that he didn't - he WANTED to get back behind the truck but couldn't make much happen with crap airspeed and being upright on the port and starboard control bars. And he just lost the left wing making the easy reach to his make-shift "Linknife" release rope. And in a lockout progression the worse things get the worse they get but fast.

This is the only explanation that makes ANY sense and it makes PERFECT sense. Case closed.

37 more mostly rot posts to deal with on this one. Looking forward to having it done with but now I really need to back off for a healthy number of hours.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

Sotos - 2010/10/27 14:00:18 UTC

Mike Lake...

I wouldn’t disagree with what you state about a trailing line snag situation. However I would not set anything in stone or between black and white if I would judge a situation that it could cause an accident.
Read the fuckin' most recent less fictional revision. No more slack 'cause of the language issue.
If this glider was not more than 100ft as it is reported then it could be possible to lose some height down to 60-70ft before to stop to fly. With the towline behind your body is possible to have from this height a stall and nose in, in lower height and probably a quite hard impact even the large sail area of this beginner’s glider not excluding the possibility of fatally accident any way, but with more possibilities to save something rather than an opposite case to have the towline over the bar. With the towline over the bar in any case would result in an accident caused from something more like a free fall.
Who the fuck cares? Dragging a line is already in the zone of fringe activity. Not having the capability to dump a line - tight or slack - within an overly generous two seconds under any circumstances is astronomical fringe activity.
Further about trailing line snag situation I wouldn’t say that in any other case the result is always the same. The possibilities to avoid something having the line behind your body are not the same if you snag it for example in a small bush that is possible to release it with a tension just below the limits to stop you to fly and I wouldn’t compare it with an opposite case of a towline that is pulling backwards and with the same tension over the control bar.

Any way what I want to state above is that any possibility that is tending to apply an out of the limit back bar pressure is always a cause of a catastrophic situation not excluding many incidents with drogue chutes that passed accidentally over the bar.
Any chance we can bring the discussion around to something relevant?
I agree as well with your concern about the requirement of another one person for an inclusive attention in order to avoid any happening.
If it floats your boat - fine. Leave me out of it.
Steve Seibel - 2010/10/27 16:23:10 UTC

amazing
Gregg Ludwig - 2010/10/25 19:43:50 UTC

I feel it is safe to assume the training program had deficiencies.
I was shocked to read this and a few other similar posts on this thread.
Steve... You're a total fucking waste of space. Nothing you say or do:
- slightly nudges the sport in any positive direction
- damages any of the motherfuckers who really need to be damaged
- puts you at the slightest risk of having your wire cut
Maybe there is more that you want to say about this instructor...
Who's:
- conspicuously not engaging in this discussion 'cause he can't afford to
- permanently finished as a visible entity in this sport - that 2010/10/26 05:49:12 UTC is the last anyone will ever hear from or of him
...that you are not saying.
Wanna read a real shitload of stuff that's not being said? Try actually reading what the instructor of the dead student isn't saying.
Or maybe not. To those of us who are only going by what we have read here...
See above.
...your comments are pretty incredible.
You people are total morons. You're functionally illiterate if you can't see through the total crap he's spewing out there for public consumption. When we started up Kite Strings I'd wanted you on board. What an idiot I was. Now that I've gotten my shit much better together I wouldn't click you in with a gun to my head.
The guy goes off on his own...
- The sport was founded entirely by guys going off on their own. A pretty good chunk of them were and are total douchebags but the gliders themselves eventually evolved into pretty decent flying machines.

- And you're not and never will be one of those guys who goes off on his own and fixes any actual problems - for all of your testing / experimentation to better understand some of the aerodynamics of these birds.

- He wasn't off on his own. He had Patricia - another Hewett product who may have had the same background level he did - with him and participating in the flight. And tell me where she came up short.
...for unsupervised winch towing...
- And because Donnell has some papers issued by an unregulated, incompetent, and thoroughly corrupt national association he's qualified as a supervisor.

- Donnell started by going out on his own for unsupervised towing. Came up independently with one partially good idea - that had previously (1979/09/26) been come up with - theoretically and better - by Brian Pattenden in the UK.
...with home-made gear...
- With the exception of the pickup trucks, boats, and tugs - ALL TOWING GEAR IS HOME FUCKING MADE. And the lower the scale of production the better it tends to be.

- With which ZERO fault has been documented.

- Suck my dick.
...way over his head...
Bull fucking shit. It was NOT way over his head. He was totally through the most critical and dangerous phase of the tow. It was Donnell's total crap instruction and training that kicked in and got him killed.
...and you blame the training program...
Goddam right. Whenever somebody speeds through the training program and starts flying comp XC in six weeks the training program gets blamed. But whenever a student or product gets totaled it's always 100.00 percent the student's or product's fault.

I mentored Frank Sauber for about eight years before he went out on Santos Mendoza's early scooter setup and got killed 1996/04/28 for pretty much the same reason - I'm convinced - that Lemmy did. Frank was convinced that he was supposed to "correct for crosswinds". Wrote an article for the newsletter proclaiming same and handed it to me at a Capitol club meeting. I reviewed it and told him in no uncertain terms - WRONG - FIX IT. He went over to Saint Bill of Bennett to get support for his opinion and came back to me with it. I stuck to my fuckin' guns but I could see that he'd decided to go with what he'd wanted to hear.

From the report in the magazine - 1996/07:
At 50 feet Frank got into a left turn for reasons unknown.
18-3003

Carbon fuckin' copy. Right down the easily reachable three-string truck tow release and bridle. 'Cept without Avolare's altitude. And Avolare's at Manquin. And Steve was obviously OK with Avolare crabbing to behind and even upwind of the road / truck path. 'Cause he says NOTHING about the lockout. Doesn't understand shit about it either.

P.S. Also seems O.K. with Avolare's faith that a weak link is a bulletproof lockout protector for a payout (not to mention aero) tow.

P.P.S. Also oversaw the aerotow that two thirds killed Holly Korzilius, sent Bill Priday to a fatal unhooked launch at Whitwell, signed off Jim Keen-Intellect Rooney so he could go to Queenstown and run an unhooked tandem launch into the powerlines. At least Lemmy never hurt or killed anybody but himself.

Steve is Mister/Saint Blue Sky Scooter Tow. If there's any wind he's gonna configure to tow straight into it.

Three days shy of three months after Frank Bill's gonna be running a tandem instructor certification clinic - at which he told Yours Truly he would not be welcome - at Gates Field a bit east of Cleveland and will eat it along with Mike Del Signore. Hot humid high density altitude still evening air, underpowered tug outclimbs the heavy tandem glider. Bill and Mike Del Signore push out to climb into "position" and:

42-05328
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7309/11414153476_3ca8cc4036_o.png

'Cept at maybe a hundred feet.

These are just vertical versions of the stay-behind-the-truck-in-the-crosswind phenomenon - I've just now realized. The glider naturally trims to the path it wants to take, the glider driver tries to force it to get behind the truck/tug where it belongs, the glider severely stalls and drops like a fuckin' brick.

I got indoctrinated to believe that a lot of these surface tow lockouts were being precipitated by thermals and crosswind gusts - that's what I'd believed about Lemmy's until after I'd gotten well into this project - but we really need to be looking at the probability of a lockout we hear about having been deliberately flown into. And of course it can be a combo - a little cross, a little crabbing, a substantial puff.
...which the guy didn't bother to take the time to pursue to completion...
The guy would've been dead of old age if he'd taken the time to pursue this chickenshit program to completion. And if this program were so fucking effective, valid, legitimate then how come it went immediately and permanently extinct right after this one? Along with Donnell himself?

How come when you go to Wikipedia TODAY you find:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hang_gliding
Hang gliding
In 1983 Denis Cummings re-introduced a safe tow system that was designed to tow through the centre of mass and had a gauge that displayed the towing tension, it also integrated a 'weak link' that broke when the safe tow tension was exceeded.
when everyone and his dog knows - or did before 2010/10/13 anyway - that that's one hundred percent pure unadulterated Hewett? And do you hear him protesting anywhere?
...nor did he bother to attend...
- BOTHER to attend? It's a fuckin' two hundred plus mile round trip - asshole.

- Speaking of bothering to attend... If Donnell's so fuckin' pure as the driven snow on this one as you're painting him then how come:

- he's not in here returning fire to this asshole? I know I would be. And I know I'd quickly get my wire cut, my posts deleted, and the topic permanently locked. Check around if you don't believe me - asshole.

- none of the untold scores of his finished products are in here chiming in on his behalf? Even T** at K*** S****** can produce a few examples from enemy territory where his name is stated to be off limits in the site rules.

There are 26 participants in this thread - counting Donnell himself. Only one of them is a Hewett product - counting Donnell himself. If he's doing such a great fucking job training and graduating pilots for real world flying then where the hell are they? We know something about three of them - if you count Patricia. And she ain't coming back to top off her training. Ditto for Lemmy. And in another fifteen posts Gregg's gonna post an account from the Houston wire by a Hang Two sounding flyer who goes for a taste of Kingsville and comes reasonably close to getting his fuckin' neck broken but nowhere near close to getting airborne. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong but right now I'd say we have zero evidence of Donnell ever graduating a One - since maybe the early Eighties anyway.

And if Lemmy ever got airborne via a tow like the one described he should've been awarded a Three on the spot.
...frequently enough to have any realistic hope of a steady upward learning curve?
- See above.

- Go fuck yourself, Steve. If you BOTHER to actually READ what Donnell said in his first bullshit communication:

He was progressing well with consistently good take-offs, climb outs, straight flights, releases, and landings. He was also progressing well in ground school...
He didn't have just any REALISTIC HOPE of a steady upward learning curve. He, according to his highly esteemed and experienced instructor, was ACCOMPLISHING a steady upward learning curve.

Furthermore he says:

He had progressed to the point of towing up to as high as 100 ft with consistently good foot-launchings, climb outs, straight flights, releases, and landings. He was able to handle and make corrections for light turbulence, mild wind gradients, and slight cross-winds, but he had not advanced to the point of making major corrections or banked turns. He was progressing well in ground school and was fully aware of the risks of trying to tow on his own.
So you tell me where he came up short and/or what else he was lacking in order to execute that flight in those conditions. He executed - flawlessly as far as we've heard - the stupid dangerous unnecessary foot launch, climb-out - compromised as he was upright with his hands on the control bars, straight flight with a significant crosswind drift, correction for a substantial crosswind, and release under fatal lockout conditions.

If he was fully aware of the risks of trying to tow on his own either he should've been OK or Donnell lied about him being fully aware of the risks of trying to tow on his own. Furthermore... He was towing on his own from Day 1, Flight 1 through Day 7, Flight 39. Just as I was dune flying alone from Day 1, Flight 1 on through the rest of my 373 plus hour career. There was never anybody up there with me poised to take over the controls if/when I fucked things up. And I would've never had it any other way.

Yeah, he locked out and fatally slammed in - solely because of rather than despite Donnell's training. So did Eric Aasletten, Bill Bennett, Jamie Alexander, Rob Richardson, Bill Woloshnyiuk, Robin Strid, John Woiwode (for all intents and purposes), Arlan Birkett, Steve Elliot, Zack Marzec, Kelly Harrison, Jeff Bohl... (I could go way the fuck on.) Six of those guys took students, trainees, passengers down with them. So tell me how Lemmy's mistakes were so much worse than theirs?

Also note Donnell says:
...but he had not advanced to the point of making major corrections or banked turns.
Wasn't at the point at which he was CAPABLE of making major corrections or banked turns? Or fuckin' Donnell hadn't ALLOWED him to make major corrections or banked turns?

I started working on substantial coordinated turns on the dunes after Flight 15 and my Hang One and was doing hard coordinated turns beyond ninety after Flight 33 and had my Hang Two at 38 (one under Lemmy's total). And I never had more than eighty feet of air under me and never got in trouble. And I wasn't anymore gifted than a lot of the students I had - including an eleven year old kid who took to it like a fish to water. (Just before maybe his last launch of the package I whispered to another instructor, "Watch this.") Donnell was a major detriment to this guy before, during, and after his death and the number of individuals he's demolished with his Skyting Theory is incalculable and counting.
And these glib comments, in the context of a fatality? Incredible...
Fuckin' dickhead.
PS I appreciate Donnell's report and his assessment of the proximate cause of the accident as being weather conditions beyond the pilot's ability to deal with while towing.
I appreciate the report fifty times beyond anything you can begin to imagine. But for entirely different reasons.
That's not the same as saying that "the guy was doing everything right and a freak gust hit him."
The only thing that hit him was a freak correction for a crosswind.
Obviously other mistakes were made-- e.g. the decision to fly unsupervised-- that contributed to the situation, and Donnell never implied otherwise.
Try looking real hard at what he IS implying and see how well it fits into the big picture.
PPS Maybe by "training program" you meant the deceased pilot's own training history and whatever "program" he had for himself in his own head, rather than the "program" that his instructor would have offered him.
Since the evening of 2010/10/13 the training program Lemmy has in his head is exactly as effective as the one Donnell continued on with. But it's infinitely less damaging 'cause he didn't leave a global legacy of total crap to ensnare all but the extremely wary.
If so, sorry, but that's not the way it came across to me, and I can only imagine how the instructor would feel on reading something like that in this tragic situation.
Must be perfectly OK with it 'cause we haven't heard a whisper of any kind of response to it in the nine years since.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

Jerry Forburger - 2010/10/27 18:00:37 UTC

Donnell could be (and probably is...) exactly correct in his analysis of the cause of this accident...
- Exactly. Down to the last punctuation mark. Even though the later stuff flatly and grotesquely contradicts the earlier stuff. Not to mention inconsistencies and contradictions within revisions.

- Really not all that complicated though...
Jerry Forburger - 1990/10

High line tensions reduce the pilot's ability to control the glider and we all know that the killer "lockout" is caused by high towline tension.
High towline tension. Odd though that he didn't tell us a single goddam thing about the weak link - the focal point of a safe towing system - beyond the fact that it was successfully cut by his make-shift "Linknife".
...but there could be other factors.
Yeah, I think the guy was probably a closet fag.
All of the posted evidence can also describe the classic 'lock out' which can be enhanced by the above mentioned weather factors.
But he was perfectly OK flying upright with his hands on the control bars and correcting for the crosswind.
The cause of this tragedy is a pilot flying outside his own limitations of skill, knowledge and judgement.
Yeah Jerry, you guys may have put together the first hang glider platform launch payout winch rig but it wasn't rocket science or even an original concept and if you hadn't somebody else would've a half hour later. And you're a total shit excuse for a human being. Always have been, always will be.
(Thanks Mike Meier)
Yeah, Mike Meier solved all of our safety issues by writing an article advising us not to make any mistakes while flying. Wish I'd thought of that. The Mike Meier who:

- doesn't design his gliders to be motorized, tethered, or towed but sells them to guys like Lemmy in extreme South Texas a three day drive to the nearest useable bump.

- can't be bothered to contribute a single punctuation mark to any of these postmortem discussions or help tear new assholes for total douchebags such as yourself.

- is going out of business 'cause we're killing people on his gliders faster than we can bring new people into the sport. Also eleven year old kids who go up on Wills Wing tandem glider thrill rides.
Stupid is as Stupid does... and that's all I got to say about that.
Way too goddam much - motherfucker.

Only Gregg's gonna call this son of a bitch on this and it's not a tiny fraction enough.
Rob Kells - 1986/05

TRUCK TOW - A PRELIMINARY IMPRESSION

Towing has in the past always been a much more dangerous proposition than foot launch for hang glider pilots. Jerry and Mike of Air Time Of Lubbock (ATOL) have made some great steps forward recently to make towing safer.

The truck launch they have developed allows for launches with airspeed already established for the pilot. The pilot is prone and holding onto the base tube at the time of launch, which eliminates the need of transition from upright to prone.

I feel that the ATOL folks have really done their homework over the two years it took to perfect this new system. Safety is the top priority, and they have done a very impressive job of conceptualizing and executing an innovative system. The winch and release hardware are clean and well engineered, and worked flawlessly on my test flights.

I would recommend that anyone interested in flat land towing take a close look at this system. It's the best I've seen.
And this piece o' shit won't even give Donnell the slightest shadow of rebuke for not having implemented the system he codeveloped or even endorse it to help prevent a rerun.
Gregg Ludwig - 2010/10/27 21:12:27 UTC

The reports suggest to me that after the student pilot completed 6 days of lessons over a 9 month period he didn't learn squat from this instructor.
He learned way the fuck too much from this instructor. If he'd just researched stuff on the web and worked things out on his own he'd have probably been OK. Sure wouldn't have been any worse off.
Gregg Ludwig - 2010/10/27 21:33:12 UTC
Jerry Forburger - 2010/10/27 18:00:37 UTC
It is always so easy to just blame the dead pilot...call it pilot error. End of story.
Stick to the motherfucker. On a thread about Hewett disciple Peter Birren's stupid Linknife Hewett disciple Butch Pritchett called me a turd and Davis banned ME...

http://ozreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=592
Linknife
Davis Straub - 2010/04/03 12:46:26

Tad is gone.
...six months and ten days before Lemmy piles in on a copy of Peter's snake oil miracle release.
Davis Straub - 2010/10/27 22:39:04 UTC

Well it is pretty clear that in fact it was quite a few pilot errors that lead to his death here as opposed to equipment failure (which would be the other option, or perhaps unsafe flying conditions, which in this case would point back to pilot error). Now pilot error is a broad category and what we are most interested in is what pilot errors were they and how to avoid them in the future.
...pilot errors...pilot error...pilot error...pilot errors...
Think you laid "pilot error(s)" on thick enough, Davis? History's gonna hold Donnell accountable for this one. They're not even gonna remember Lemmy. But after a bit more time they're not gonna remember Donnell either. They've already forgotten his Skyting Bridle, mostly forgotten his Infallible Weak Link, largely forgotten foot launch tow for anything but scooter.
Gregg Ludwig - 2010/10/27 23:14:59 UTC

Yes, the pilot made several errors. I feel that the fact that so many errors were made reflects poorly on the quality of instruction received over a period of 6 lesson days over a period 9 months.
Oh bullshit. Everybody knows that whenever a pilot aces something sixty percent of the credit goes to his excellent instruction and or the fantastic job his tug pilot did getting him started and that whenever a pilot leaves the field on a medevac chopper or in a body bag it's 'cause he was a stupid douchebag who never had any business starting lessons with his totally excellent instructor in the first place.
Several effective ways for new pilots to avoid pilot errors/accidents are:
-obtain quality instruction (good instructor/ good equipment/good method of teaching/ good location and conditions)
Good freakin' luck. Anything in front of the location and conditions is gonna be total crap - by design.
-follow ushpa guidelines for skill level (instructor discussion topic)
Kinda hard to go wrong doing the opposite of whatever it is the u$hPa's trying to sell you.
-novice pilots fly and learn under supervision (instructor discussion topic)
We just saw how well that worked out for Lemmy and Patricia.
Gregg Ludwig - 2010/10/28 00:30:36 UTC
Steve Seibel - 2010/10/27 16:23:10 UTC

...and I can only imagine how the instructor would feel on reading something like that in this tragic situation.
I can only imagine how the pilot's friends and family feel, especially with them likely knowing that he had been taking HG lessons for months.
The friends and family were never elements of Donnell's Priorities. Just Donnell's family. And it's pretty much a no-brainer that he no longer has any friends in hang gliding - including the assholes here who are totally whitewashing him and pissing all over his victim.

And imagine that you had negligently/incompetently but not maliciously gotten a student killed. Would you really want assholes like - so far - Marc Fink, Dallas Willis, Brian McMahon, Jim Rooney, Davis Straub, Jeff Nibler, Doug Doerfler, Steve Seibel, Jerry Forburger to be your friends? (We'll pick up Rob Clarkson, Peter Birren, Mark G. Forbes, Quinn Cornwell later.)
Rob Clarkson - 2010/10/28 01:31:40 UTC

Gregg get off this topic you have no clue what you are talking about.
Says someone who leads in with a sentence of that quality.
If he had six lessons in a week perhaps he'd have a few skills. Six lessons in a month he may be showing some progress. Six lessons in Nine months!! He has no more skill than some one who has never taken lessons.
This has already been flatly contradicted...

He was progressing well with consistently good take-offs, climb outs, straight flights, releases, and landings. He was also progressing well in ground school and was well aware of the risks of trying to tow on his own.
...by the instructor. And if you're actually right about this then what does that say about the competency of the instructor? Catch-22.
To suggest this is the instructors fault is insane.
Since when his insanity been considered a negative issue in hang gliding?
If you think he would have been better served by scooter towing you are sadly mistaken. This would have only provided a different method for which to kill himself.
Yeah. The guy was instantly snuffed on this one. Let's not change anything 'cause there's always the chance that we'd get even less desirable results.
As I posted earlier all of us who are hard core and really want to fly have probably done some stupid shit.
All of the stupid shit he did was what he'd been trained to do.
Most of the time we get away with it some times we don't. Sadly this time it was fatal.
Oh well, at least it'll make crap like:

http://birrendesign.com/rhgpa_criteria.html
RHGPA: Hewett skying criteria - Tungsten Rings
These are Donnell Hewett's original 12 elements of a good tow system. They are as viable today as they were in the early 80's when he wrote them.
a bit harder to dish out and get people to swallow.
Davis Straub - 2010/10/28 01:45:02 UTC

Upset stomach, Rob?
Long term effects of concussions, Davis?
Gregg Ludwig - 2010/10/28 02:57:09 UTC

While this accident is not the instructors fault...
Yeah it is. If it weren't Donnell would be participating in the discussion. As it is we'll never hear from him again.
...especially since he wasn't even there...
Isn't the whole point of instruction to get the student qualified to fly safely and competently when the instructors not there?
...the facts seem to indicate poor training...
Seem to?
...a likely contributing factor.
Likely?
Steve Davy - 2010/10/28 03:20:39 UTC

What " facts" would you be referring to ? How many actual facts do you ( we ) have on this ?
We got enough. You tend to miss tons of shit when you just do a read through but when you start looking at things much more closely than they ever wanted you to or thought you would...
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

Steve Seibel - 2010/10/28 03:46:10 UTC

Gregg is an instructor in Texas-- I just checked the USHPA website-- I remember his name came up on the hanggliding.org forum...
The worlds largest hang gliding community. Top quality discussion group. That Jack guy really knows how to run a coffee shop and maintain a friendly inviting atmosphere to help promote the sport of hang gliding. Sure won't tolerate the kinds of unpleasant exchanges we're now seeing here. How's that been working out lately?
...when someone posted about how he kept emailing and calling Gregg with no response...
Would that have been Lemmy?
...and was seeking other recommendations for instructors.
Did he eventually find Donnell?
Not that that has anything to do with this, that's just why his name stuck in my head.

To have an instructor say things like "he had been taking HG lessons for months"...
(Gregg Ludwig - 2010/10/28 00:30:36 UTC)
...about a guy who had only taken 6 lessons, is beyond bizarre.
OK.. Let's see how Donnell phrases it.

Lemuel Lopez was a wonderful person with an adventurous spirit who took six hang gliding lessons from me and logged some thirty flights totaling about ten minutes in nine months. He was progressing well with consistently good take-offs, climb outs, straight flights, releases, and landings. He was also progressing well in ground school and was well aware of the risks of trying to tow on his own.

Prior to the accident, he had taken 6 hang gliding lessons from me and logged some 38 flights totaling about 10 minutes in 9 months. He had progressed to the point of towing up to as high as 100 ft with consistently good foot-launchings, climb outs, straight flights, releases, and landings. He was able to handle and make corrections for light turbulence, mild wind gradients, and slight cross-winds, but he had not advanced to the point of making major corrections or banked turns. He was progressing well in ground school and was fully aware of the risks of trying to tow on his own. That was why he was taking professional lessons and why he tried very hard to duplicate the system he was training on and to follow the procedures he was learning.
Much less beyond bizarre.
It boggles the mind, how completely unprofessional some people in this sport are.
I'd go with pretty much all people in the sport. What's your point?
Compare and contrast to the GA world -- imagine some guy had taken 6 flying lessons and went out to fly solo unsupervised without permission...
You mean the way tons of people did in the early years of conventional aviation? That's how Wilbur and Orville got airborne - minus the lessons part of course.
...and crashed and some flight instructor says "he had been taking lessons for 9 months and didn't learn anything, there was a deficiency in his training." The guy would be laughed onto the next planet!
You'd think the guy who published:
Donnell Hewett - 1982/09

would be laughed onto the next planet - but that hasn't really happened at any point in the past 37 years, has it Mister AeroExperiments?
I expect crap like that from experienced pilots who aren't used to dealing with new students and forget all the pitfalls a new student can get into. To them it seems so natural, they forget all the mistakes that can be made and they are willing to huck someone off a mountain way before they are ready and all kinds of other crap.
John Seward and Jeff Hunt come to immediate mind.
But from an instructor!
http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=27393
Pro towing: 1 barrel release + weak link or 2 barrel release
Juan Saa - 2012/10/18 01:19:49 UTC
Boca Raton

The normal braking force in pounds for a weak link is around 180, at least that is the regular weak link line used at most aerotow operations. By adding a second weak link to your bridal you are cutting the load on each link by half, meaning that the weak link will not break at the intended 180 pounds but it will need about 360.
If that is what you use and is what your instructor approved then I have no business on interfering, i dont know if you are using the same weak link material but there shoul be only ONE weak link on a tow bridle for it to be effective in breaking before higher loads are put into you and the glider should the glider gets to an attitude or off track so much that the safety fuse of the link is needed to break you free from the tug.

I made the same mistake on putting two weak links thinking that I was adding protection to my setup and I was corrected by two instructors on separate occacions at Quest Air and at the Florida RIdge.
Unbelievable.
Yeah...

http://www.chgpa.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2467
weak links
Jim Rooney - 2007/07/22 20:16:36 UTC

And as for your cracks about me being a tug pilot (and somehow less qualified to comment on hg stuff)... HAHAHA I'm a freakin hg instructor. I towed more yesterday than you've towed all year. I use this crap on a daily basis. If anyone here's less qualified to comment... It's YOU.
What's this world coming to?
Maybe you know something more that you aren't telling, Gregg...
You can get some really amazing insights into this one by reading all the stuff Donnell's not telling us - and never will.
...but judging only by what we've read so far on this thread...
See above.
...your comments seem utterly without merit...
Stick around for another four posts. Gregg will get to a reasonable degree of merit.

P.S. There isn't all that fuckin' much to hang gliders and hang glider towing. One can and SHOULD be up and running on this stuff after a short interval. That USED TO BE a big selling point on them - in the years before all the commercial instruction got so much mere professional and responsible.
Davis Straub - 2010/10/28 04:17:26 UTC

I see that that bug is going around.
Your wit and comments are always so cutting, Davis. But is there any way you could get something in there about "pilot error"?
Rob Clarkson - 2010/10/28 05:48:29 UTC

Ok Greg, what indicates to you poor instruction?
The newspaper reports and obituary?
I'll tell you why I don't think any instructor wouldn't have any success with any student
Can anybody make any sense of that sentence?
Any one who teaches anything will tell you a very high percentage of what is taught is forgotten with in 48 hrs. The second time it is taught they retain more and so on. The longer between lessons the less information is retained there fore you are going to need to reteach the entire lesson and still much of it will be forgotten.
And yet...

Prior to the accident, he had taken 6 hang gliding lessons from me and logged some 38 flights totaling about 10 minutes in 9 months. He had progressed to the point of towing up to as high as 100 ft with consistently good foot-launchings, climb outs, straight flights, releases, and landings. He was able to handle and make corrections for light turbulence, mild wind gradients, and slight cross-winds, but he had not advanced to the point of making major corrections or banked turns. He was progressing well in ground school and was fully aware of the risks of trying to tow on his own. That was why he was taking professional lessons and why he tried very hard to duplicate the system he was training on and to follow the procedures he was learning.
Best case this student had six lessons all in one week. That way each lesson is fresh in his memory and he is able to learn new things each day. Nine months later how much is he going to remember. More likely the lessons are spread out. So your not even getting one lesson a month. Even the most talented student isn't going to retain much skill doing less than one lesson a month.
From my analysis he did everything exactly as he was trained to. I know exactly how and why he crashed. You don't.
Living in Canada our winter season is six months we can't fly. After flying for ten years and getting over 100hr/year the last couple years, I still feel a lot of rust in the spring after not being able to fly for six months over the winter. I can imagine how poor some ones going to do with 10min air time over nine months. So please explain to me how this pilot had obvious poor training.
'Cause he did EXACTY what Donnell tells us he trained him to. And none of you motherfuckers have read this stuff and/or thought about it carefully enough to figure it out. I hadn't either before my 2019/09/26 16:08:39 UTC post.
BTW I have no idea who this pilot was or who was trying to teach him.
Then you read and think even worse that you write. This thread has been a total gold mine - the kinda stuff they subsequently learned to suppress the hell out of that you'll never see again.
All I know is what was posted here...
You don't have the slightest fuckin' clue what's posted here.
...and my own personal experience flying and teaching.
You don't have the literacy and communications competencies to have any business teaching.
Peter Birren - 2010/10/28 13:44:28 UTC

Some 15 years ago in Illinois, there was a similar fatality. The pilot was someone who would not take advice - very headstrong - because after a few lessons, he knew everything. In the accident, he used a 2:1 bridle, a home-made 3-string release, no radio and maybe 250' of towline; told the driver to stop when he got high where he'd release and land. On the last flight, the release failed and he pendulumed into the ground nose-first. The similarities to what I've read about this latest one are amazing. However, there was no definitive description of the bridle used... just conjecture.
This is almost certainly:

1992/09/10 - Ron Smith - 55 - Hang 4 - Enterprise Wings Foil - Akin Illinois

Dolly launched behind a truck with a payout winch. Plan was for a short tow to a hundred feet, truck pulls off the road perpendicular to it, glider releases and lands upwind of the truck on the road. Glider couldn't release, the guy on the back\ dumped tension. That didn't work 'cause the winch was sideways and the towline hung up on the glider rack and the hook knife had been stolen the week before. Glider kept going straight ahead until the line tensioned and pile drove him in from fifty feet. Lived a little while but...

Enough monkeys and enough typewriters...

I'd retained a fair memory of that one.
I was also amazed to read ... his primary release was a make-shift "Linknife". As the inventor of the real Linknife, this concerns me for several reasons.
Did you bother to read that the make-shift "Linknife" worked just fine after he sacrificed ninety percent of what little control he still had flying upright with his hands on the control bars to make the easy reach with his left one to the make-shift "Linknife" release rope - asshole?
I know that Don Hewett has several of them, that he's a big fan of its simplicity....
Really hard the beat SIMPLICITY when your engineering aptitude is total shit.
...and ease of use....
Yep...

if the pilot had tried to release at the first sign of trouble as he had been trained to do, then he would have taken his hand off the left down tube long enough to release. If his make-shift release failed to release immediately, his continued pull-in on the right side of the control bar would have produced a strong roll and turn to the right as observed.
Simplicity and ease of use. Naturally go together like yin and yang. And it's got a track record length that just can't be beat.
...and that, to date, this is the first fatality since introducing the release in 1996 (or was it '95?)...
- The magazine article was 1996/10 so it's a real good bet it was the former reference and latter year.
- Who gives a flying fuck whether the flight ended in a perfectly timed flare or a fatality? That's not how you asses and certify shit.
Steve Kinsley - 1996/05/09 15:50

Personal opinion. While I don't know the circumstances of Frank's death and I am not an awesome tow type dude, I think tow releases, all of them, stink on ice. Reason: You need two hands to drive a hang glider. You 'specially need two hands if it starts to turn on tow. If you let go to release, the glider can almost instantly assume a radical attitude. We need a release that is held in the mouth. A clothespin. Open your mouth and you're off.
Your snake oil shit stinks on ice 'cause it's totally useless or worse in any actual emergency scenario. He's foot launching in a lull so he's got shit for airspeed for starters and he's upright so he can never get any non shit airspeed and control authority. Then Donnell has him correcting for the crosswind and making the easy reach to the make-shift "Linknife" release rope. This was such a tits up operation from the word go to impact that it's a total miracle that he wasn't killed any more instantly than he was. How the hell did such a cult of lunatic idiots ever manage to attain such prominence in the sport?
...in which one (or a make-shift one) was involved.
Real pity that Donnell:

- failed to impress upon Lemmy how important it was to use a genuine factory built and certified Linknife instead of the chintzy homemade make-shift "Linknife" that decided to kill him after all those successful preflight tests

- wasn't able to get a photograph of the chintzy homemade make-shift "Linknife" so we could shake our heads in amazement of its incredible shoddiness
I don't know any more than what's been written here...
You don't know any more than the most exculpatory five percent of the misleading and fictional total crap that's been written here. You haven't even bothered to read Donnell's final self-serving version of Donnell's report.
...and so won't speculate why he couldn't/didn't release.
Oh, fuck no. Speculation is the absolute most despicable thing anyone can do following a serious accident. Also make sure not to speculate about the version which reports a totally successful release with his make-shift "Linknife". And NOBODY calls this total douchebag on any of this rot - 'specially Donnell. The more fabrications and contradictions he has floating around in this cesspool the better off he is with respect to not getting his ass sued out of existence.
Blame on a bunch of different things have been thrown around but it was ultimately the pilot who did not learn enough before venturing off on his own, using home-made equipment and untrained crew.
He never said anything about an "untrained crew". What he said was:

2010/10/19 13:21:59 UTC
accompanied only by an inexperienced driver
2010/10/20 02:27:23 UTC
using an inexperienced crew
And absolutely nothing about her on the final report other than to slip up and use a female pronoun.

And you motherfuckers quote me him saying a half a syllable about her doing anything south of what Steve Exceptionally-Knowledgeable Wendt would've done in the same situation.
Is it any wonder the result?
No. It was all such total lunacy that I'm amazed they didn't kill themselves, half a dozen innocent bystanders, and a couple of armadillos before they'd gotten the glider off the racks.
Perhaps an alternate subject line could be "Hey, watch this!"
Or "Suck my dick and rot in hell you miserable lying total scumbags."

I'm wondering if Tim Herr reads this shit as carefully as I do and makes people quietly disappear as necessary.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

Gregg Ludwig - 2010/10/28 15:46:59 UTC
Rob Clarkson - 2010/10/28 05:48:29 UTC

Ok Greg, what indicates to you poor instruction?
Here is another report from a student (H-0) (Al Hernandez) that may shed some light on the methods of instruction used. This student weighs about 250 pounds and was using a glider too small for his first tow over asphalt as reported.
Who is flying in Texas this weekend?
28th and 29th I will be up in Kingsville, at the Kleberg County Airport about 8 am. I will be training With the Doc. He will be having lessons there Saturday, depending on weather conditions, will be towed up with a tow winch, this will be my first tow. Have just been doing foot launch, will get some airtime in on those days.
I now understand of having the right HG for the right size of person. I can't say you didn't tell me so, cause you. Saturday 29th 2009 time 11:45 am using a WW F 160 way too small for me, but that was all there was for training at Kleberg County Airport at the time, I can't not run 35 MPH that the WW-F-160 needed for airspeed, I was braking up at 25MPH.

My ground experience was real good ( A-plus), and nerver crashed, or wacked the glider. Using a payout winch, this device is a trip, it is nothing like foot launching from a hill at all, nothing like walk, jog, and run, like I was taught in the past. The payout winch is more like RUN LIKE HELL. Once your body weight pressure is taken for the payout. my payout pressure was 65 lbs. Lighter pilots 55 lbs. I had to stand like a post, and not move at all once the truck took off at 25 mph with one foot in front of the other, and I am still standing in the same place leaning back, with the payout feeding me line, and there is a strange feeling, odd feeling to being pulled by the payout. Then I take the first step to the run, and i am now running 25 Mph, I am thinking, oooOOOOH SH#T, hope I don't have to run that far, hoping the HG gets lift so I don't have to run no more... my F-A running down the runway like a rocket there is no wind, I have the right angle of attact the HG is up, but still not enough lift for the pilot, I can't reach my Cut line, cause I have both hands on the downtubes, and if I let go of the Coke bottle grip I will crash, I feel like pushing the HG into the air, or jumping up so it can lift, but I do not, that would make my situation worse, I feel I am about to fall into the asphalt face first, and crash, I am at my run limit, and feel I can not take another step, still Hg not lifting me, the winch operater lets go of the pressure of the payout winch, my run comes to a jog, and to a stop and drop to my keens. Payout winches are odd. The HG got lift but, couldn't lift me in no wind conditions, the HG was too small in the first place. This was a trip, and a HG experience "Hang gliding for dummies." the glider would had taken me up if there was a 10 to 15 MPH wind or maybe a hurricane in the area.

I am still pondering about the Payout winch, I did a few more runs, but did not lift. Should I do it again??????
Yes, I think I should. An odd feeling for Payout winches, but with the right glider WW-2-225, and the right wind I should be airborne ; )
You'd also be airborne brain dead easily and ultra safely with a platform launch payout but being prone with both hands on the control bars connector tube for a powered rolling launch isn't one of the Donnell's Skyting Criteria for safe hang glider towing. He only had room for twelve and the last two slots had to go to the Reliable Release and Infallible Weak Link. And perish the thoughts that we compromise Constant Tension and Constant Direction.
Sergey Kataev - 2010/10/28 17:09:33 UTC

Condolences to the pilot's family :(
Yes, he shouldn't have gone out on his own with this kind of experience - that probably is the main cause of the accident, but...
Mouth is quick to open and one doesn't need to take hands off control bar to release: a mouth release _could_ have saved his life.
See above, Sergey. Donnell's never once in his entire fucking existence attached any importance to his dope on the rope being able to maintain full control of the glider through the most critical phases and potential emergency situations of the tow. And his total dickhead of foremost disciple wants to take the pilot out of the equation to the maximum extent possible. Lemmy having gone out on his own with this kind of experience is just a simpleton of the lethal foundational problems.

If Lemmy had been properly equipped with a platform or dolly and...

01-00000
http://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8194/29698759425_ce05a4e46a_o.png

...a Kaluzhin release. These pieces o' shit won't even afford you the courtesy of acknowledging your existence in the conversation. If you make any significant noise about this issue Donnell will just continue to stay deaf and Peter and/or Davis and their loyal douchebags will piss all over you and cut your wire when you score on them too much.
Steve Seibel - 2010/10/28 18:31:11 UTC

Sure, its hard to make progress with the wrong equipment.
But you're gonna protect that strategy anyway, aren't ya Steve?
That's not the same as being taught specific techniques that are substandard and dangerous.
Yeah...

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TUGS/message/1149
aerotow instruction was Re: Tug Rates
Tracy Tillman - 2011/02/10 20:08:32 UTC

Anybody who is truly a good pilot, in any form of aviation, knows that the knowledge, skills, and judgement you have in your head, learned from thorough instruction from a good instructor with a good curriculum, are the best pieces of equipment you can fly with. Good equipment is important, the best equipment is a well-trained brain.
It's the well trained brain that we need to focus on here. Lemmy's wasn't well trained quite well enough so the autopsy's gonna reveal that he'd sustained a severe head injury in spite of the pilot having worn a safety helmet.
Between the mashed-up writing style...
...I went to the trouble of highlighting it for you...
...and my lack of knowledge about these towing methods...
Nah, there's no fuckin' way you could've begun to have really understood how these launches were being operated.
...I can't really make heads or tails out of the quote you posted, except that the glider ("WW F-160" --??) was too small, and/or the truck not driving fast enough for the glider / pilot combo.
Yeah, that was the problem. The guy could easily have run another ten miles per hour.
Maybe you should start a new thread entitled "Donnell Hewett uses substandard equipment and techniques" and tell us more about why.
He doesn't use substandard equipment. He uses Peter Birren's award winning Linknife. It's so freakishly superior and advanced that it will still be fifty years ahead of its time two centuries from now.

But if it IS the greatest thing since sliced bread - as all these Hewett-Birren cult members and ass kissers are always proclaiming it to be - then shouldn't even Lemmy's make-shift "Linknife" still be a couple hundred times the quality of the bent pin Flight Park Mafia...

http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=21033
barrels release without any tension except weight of rope..
Bart Weghorst - 2011/02/25 19:06:26 UTC

But I've had it once where the pin had bent inside the barrel from excessive tow force. My weaklink was still intact. The tug pilot's weaklink broke so I had the rope. I had to use two hands to get the pin out of the barrel.
No stress because I was high.
...total crap? And Cowboy Up is just up the road from Kingsville? So how come those asshole shitriggers never seem to get the withering barrage of assault rifle fire that Dead Lemmy's taking on this one?
It sure looks to me like you are mixing apples with oranges and jumping to conclusions in the interest of grinding your axe. This guy goes into do-it-yourself mode...
Instead of going with Donnell's and Peter's vastly superior do-it-yourself crap.
...and kills himself and you immediately point the finger at the instructor who he has only seen six times in nine months.
- While Donnell rocketed him up to the skill level we dune instructors would usually see our "students" doing within the first two or three flights of their five flight packages.

- And yet Donnell heaps nothing but unadulterated praise on him for the rapid rate of progress Lemmy had made under his guidance. Go figure.
...Is there any hope of anyone generating an unbiased accident report...
From the dead guy's totally unbiased and disinterested instructor who was always doing everything at least three times as right as the next highest quality instructional program. (Lockout Mountain Flight Park...

http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=18777
Accident - Broken Jaw - Full Face HG Helmet
Keith Skiles - 2010/08/28 05:20:01 UTC

Last year, at LMFP I saw an incident in aerotow that resulted in a very significant impact with the ground on the chest and face. Resulted in a jaw broken in several places and IIRC some tears in the shoulder.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TTTFlymail/message/11545
Cart stuck incidents
Keith Skiles - 2011/06/02 19:50:13 UTC

I witnessed the one at Lookout. It was pretty ugly. Low angle of attack, too much speed and flew off the cart like a rocket until the weak link broke, she stalled and it turned back towards the ground.
http://ozreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=24846
Is this a joke ?
Jim Rooney - 2011/09/02 19:41:27 UTC

Yes, go read that incident report.
Please note that the weaklink *saved* her ass. She still piled into the earth despite the weaklink helping her... for the same reason it had to help... lack of towing ability. She sat on the cart, like so many people insist on doing, and took to the air at Mach 5.
That never goes well.
Yet people insist on doing it.
Davis Straub - 2011/09/03 01:39:55 UTC

I think that I know the one that is being referred to.

The problem was an inexperienced female student put on a cart that had the keel cradle way too high, so she was pinned to the cart. The folks working at Lookout who helped her were incompetent.
...in case you were wondering.)
...that we can all learn from...
The more I hear about shit that we can all learn from the more I feel like beating the author into a bloody unrecognizable pulp. I can't even imagine writing a line containing that crap.
...with attitudes like that?
Nah, should've gone to Lockout to get his attitudes properly adjusted.
An instructor doesn't have any obligation to teach.
Yeah. If the motherfucker's getting paid he has an obligation to teach. And if he teaches lethal crap that gets somebody annihilated then society has on obligation to retaliate to an appropriate level.
If the instructor is only available for 6 lessons in nine months (which no one was saying was the case here)...
But go ahead and say it anyway. This entire thread is based on statements that had no foundation in reality with all the shit that actually happened is being studiously ignored.
...that doesn't force anyone to go out and learn on their own.
If he'd gone out entirely on his own from Day One on the results couldn't have been any worse.
That guy who was so frustrated because you wouldn't return his calls and emails, was he supposed to go teach himself also?
Like tons of people did in the early days? Damn near all of the real progress I made in the sport came through unlearning the crap I'd been fed by instructors and the culture at large.
I'm sure there's more than one instructor in Texas.
There are way too many...

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8143/7462005802_bbc0ac66ac_o.jpg

...instructors in Texas.
Mark G. Forbes - 2010/10/28 21:16:38 UTC
Glad you could finally find time to join us 9 days and 51 posts into the discussion a couple weeks after impact, Mark.
Gentlemen...
- Define "gentlemen".
- Ladies? Just kidding.
- The Davis Show. One of the two unofficial official u$hPa web forums.
I would ask that you please take this entire "who's to blame" discussion completely off-line and private.
I would ask that you please go fuck yourself completely on-line and publicly. There's no requirement for u$hPa membership to participate in and/or read and analyze this discussion and I can identify at least four participants who aren't US citizens or residents.
Gregg, as a former BOD member you're familiar with some of the legal and liability challenges we face...
Why? Don't you have such stellar instructor, pilot, equipment, procedures standards and compliance that everyone and his dog knows that the national organization always has been and always will be tens of thousands of feet above and beyond reproach for anything unfortunate that happens to anybody at any level of the sport?
...and this discussion is venturing into an area that I would really prefer that it should avoid.
- Well then if YOU - PERSONALLY - would prefer that we shouldn't be having a public discussion about a devastating fatal hang glider crash and the issues we feel led up to it and need to be dealt with to minimize the likelihood of a rerun then we'll immediately shut the fuck up, keep our thoughts to ourselves, trust your private ass covering national corporation to properly deal with matters as you've always done so outstandingly in the past.

- How come you never address the gentlemen of Kite Strings with a polite request not to hold public discussions venturing into areas that you would really prefer that they should avoid? That's pretty much all we do; we never lock discussions down, make rules about not discussing or quoting various individuals, delete posts; and we have a HUGE fucking presence on Google search results. Seems like your efforts are being rather sadly misdirected and misprioritized.
The facts that we know are that a student with few lessons, minimal airtime, home-made equipment and an untrained driver attempted to go towing on his own, and paid the ultimate price.
End of story then. Your u$hPa certified instructor did the absolute best superhumanly possible and if he had a time machine for a do-over there is absolutely nothing he could've done better or differently beyond telling Lemmy to take is interest in learning to fly hang gliders and fuck off. Just deal with the students who came to his operation with...

He had progressed to the point of towing up to as high as 100 ft with consistently good foot-launchings, climb outs, straight flights, releases, and landings. He was able to handle and make corrections for light turbulence, mild wind gradients, and slight cross-winds, but he had not advanced to the point of making major corrections or banked turns. He was progressing well in ground school and was fully aware of the risks of trying to tow on his own.
...only students who had actual aptitudes for this game.
His reasons for doing so are based on speculation.
Isn't a huge shitload of the stuff we do to fly safely and successfully based on speculation?
- going with a particular school or instructor
- heading out on a particular flying day
- choosing:
-- glider model
-- launch cycle
-- tow launch abort point
-- XC route
-- go/no-go point
-- landing field option
-- approach pattern

Shouldn't we really speculating as much as humanly possible in order to get really good at it and make best decisions and judgments at the highest possible rates?

Aren't you speculating that our speculations will have an overall adverse effect on the long term health of the sport and national organization? Or do you know with one hundred percent certainty that we need to bury this one as quickly and deeply as possible to conceal and maintain your negligence, incompetence, corruption?

I think I'll go ahead and speculate that the latter option is what's actually going on. (I really like "Kite Strings" but "Hang Gliding Crashes Speculation Group" wouldn't have been a bad alternative.)
If there are first-hand observations of poor instructional practices which are relevant to an instructor's performance...
There are - mostly from the instructor but also from the only one of his students who's posted or been posted here.
...they should be communicated to our safety and trainung committee...
Our safety and trainung committee firmly dedicated to getting everything right down to the last punctuation mark. Because people's lives literally depend on the dedication and professionalism with which they do their job.
...and not bandied about in public.
Fuckin' PUBLIC. The assholes we wanna recruit for our sport and open up their lands and facilities so's we can pursue it. Fuck the public and their interest in the way OUR SPORT is being conducted.
That information should come directly from witnesses...
Lessee...

- The primary and most valuable witness was killed instantly on impact. So that puts a bit off the table.

- The only surviving eyewitness was the driver whose identity Donnell is trying to keep secret without providing the least hint of justification. She (he slipped up with the pronoun) reported the micrometeorological conditions and saw and reported only on the beginning of the launch, which was totally safe and normal, and the end of the flight at which the glider was steeply and fatally locked out to the right. The last part would've been obvious just from the postmortem report and looking at the wreckage. So we really didn't learn much worth shit there.

Besides, this doesn't come directly from the only surviving witness. It's all been edited and filtered through Donnell - who has major conflict of interest issues and is about the last individual you'd wanna pick for the job.

So on the incident itself under your standards we have absolutely nothing and never will. So how's the Safety and Trainung Committee gonna deal with that? Fuckin' OBVIOUSLY. I just went on u$hPa's website and through the last couple magazine issues of 2010 and all the issues of 2011. The u$hPa Safety and Trainung Committee has never heard of this one - motherfucker.

And the only other relevant witness stuff we have is from Donnell's other known student victim who damn near got his fuckin' neck broken with Donnell on the other end on his first and only known effort. But that's off of the closed - non PUBLIC - Houston wire pulled and posted minus author ID by recent u$hPa Towing Committee Chairman Gregg Ludwig so we gotta totally shit can that one too.

And we know that all accident reports submitted to u$hPa go directly to non-pilot corporate attorney Tim Herr who immediately shreds them if he determines they may present a liability problem - which two hundred percent of them do. So...

Really hard to not speculate any better than that, Mark. Well fuckin' done.
...not through third-hand reports.
Or the second or first hand reports. And Donnell hasn't actually posted, responded to anything directly on the Davis Show. They've all been filtered through Davis - and thus reduced to inadmissible second hand hearsay.
Mark G. Forbes
USHPA insurance chairman
USHPA Director At Large--Region 1 (OR/WA/AK)
Were motherfuckers like you BORN perfect total scumbags? Or did you need to work on things for a few decades to really get things down right?
Marc Fink - 2010/10/28 23:40:21 UTC

Well said Mark--this is wandering onto legal thin ice.
- See above, Mark. I mean MarC.
- Legal thin ice for WHOM - cocksucker?
Gerry Grossnegger - 2010/10/29 03:30:42 UTC

To hell with legal, we can talk all we want...
- So far, so good - Canadian Davis Show Administrator.
- I can't talk all I want to there, Gerry. 'Cause you pigfuckers banned me for no reason without dissent from anyone several month back.
...and it won't make any difference to anything that's happened...
People can be held accountable. They won't ever be but that would start making differences in outcomes.
...but MAYBE we can reduce the chance of something like that happening again if we can figure out exactly what happened.
"MAYBE"? Sounds a lot like third hand speculation to me. Mark? Aren't ya gonna call him on this? Davis? Anybody?