suspension

General discussion about the sport of hang gliding
Steve Davy

Re: suspension

Post by Steve Davy »

http://www.kitestrings.org/topic5.html
suspension
Tad Eareckson - 2011/02/01 06:51:14 UTC

A backup loop makes the pilot look stupid. It's a flag that announces, "I don't really understand the physics and engineering of my aircraft." It's like a four foot one point bridle, a Bailey release, a loop of 130 pound Greenspot, or a suspension carabiner turned backwards for anchoring an AT release. Whenever I see that crap I instantly know I'm looking at someone who really doesn't know what the hell he's doing.
http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=33453
Extending the hang strap with rock climbing slings
Pedro Enrique - 2015/09/26 19:01:18 UTC

Take a look at the picture attached. Now, imagine the yellow strap is my hang strap (both emergency and main together) that connects to the glider. I picked up a couple of slings from the rock climbing store, 27kn, and attached them like so to my hang strap.

Nice looking 27kn flag you have there, Pedro.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=33453
Extending the hang strap with rock climbing slings
Mike Badley - 2015/09/26 19:08:53 UTC

I like that you are choosing to use TWO of them - not likely that they will both fail.
Steve Davy

Post by Steve Davy »

http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=34135
Near miss in Valle
flysurfski - 2016/03/09 07:49:12 UTC

just my opinion but what I take from this is the importance of a one strap back up to the keel even with extenders.... Image Image Image
Right! This Bozo is too incompetent to secure himself to the glider via an extension, and your take is that adding another loop to the equation is going to make the situation safer.

Good thinking! Image Image Image

PS - I was going to say "was too incompetent" but after considering that hang glider folk tend to do the same stupid things over and over, and expect different results...
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=34135
Near miss in Valle
Dave Hopkins - 2016/03/05 23:57:01 UTC

3/4//16. A visiting American pilot at Valle fell out of his glider and successfully deployed his chute. landed in trees and only bruised his thigh. WOW ! luckily he recognized something was wrong and flew away from the mountain gaining clearance for deployment. Seems his extended hang strap setup failed. There was no backup. Probably a main that was sewn to the backup. I don't like that setup. Although I fly with it on my atos, sometimes.
We all know that using an extender should a temporary setup an must have a good backup. This was a loop over the main and then it had been taped with electrical tape to hold in place.
Even if you miss a loop or part of the loop slips under the tape? this setup with the tape may sustain a hang check. Maybe not a bounce hang check Image We know all this and it has been proven by dead friends that a proper hang strap set up is a must.
Any how, it's spring and time to get a new and proper hang strap if you or your friends are flying on a extender. Next pilot may not be so lucky!
3/4//16. A visiting American pilot at Valle fell out of his glider and successfully deployed his chute. landed in trees and only bruised his thigh.
And in what subforum do we have this posted?
Incident Reports

Report hang gliding incidents and mishaps. Include Date, Site Location, Pilot Rating, Wing Type, Conditions
...seven down from the top? Nah...
The camp fire

Funny/Friendly Off topic discussion. Fail this test and threads will be migrated to Way Off Topic.
...nine down from the top. 37 posts so far on this moronic issue.
WOW ! luckily he recognized something was wrong and flew away from the mountain gaining clearance for deployment.
Instead of doing what?
Seems his extended hang strap setup failed. There was no backup.
Yeah, ya always wanna have a backup for when you're too fucking stupid to figure out how to hang a harness from a keel with a single strap and extender.
Probably a main that was sewn to the backup.
I thought we weren't supposed to speculate about any incidents. Or does that only apply when someone's seriously fucked up or killed?
I don't like that setup.
The fact that you don't like something always gives me a nudge towards liking it.
Although I fly with it on my atos, sometimes.
We all know...
Safe to say bullshit without reading the rest of the sentence.
...that using an extender should a temporary setup an must have a good backup.
Like a two point aerotow release. Just velcro on a shoddy Quallaby piece o' crap primary then use a good bent pin piece o' crap backup for when the primary fails.
This was a loop over the main and then it had been taped with electrical tape to hold in place.
Well that sounds really professionally done. We need check no further.
Even if you miss a loop or part of the loop slips under the tape?
Deep into Darwin territory.
this setup with the tape may sustain a hang check.
Tons o' deadly crap will sustain a hang check and has. That's how come a hang check is a totally moronic procedure for anything other than checking clearance. And checking clearance is a totally noncritical issue.
Maybe not a bounce hang check Image
Yeah, let's all do bounce checks 'cause they're more likely to reveal an electrical tape connection. We certainly wouldn't wanna waste the time and effort LOOKING AT the suspension to see if there's a problem.
We know all this...
Like we all know that a tow bridle which splits the tow pressure between the pilot and glider is a three point.
...and it has been proven by dead friends that a proper hang strap set up is a must.
- And we need dead friends to prove this. Not very convincing otherwise.
- The more dead friends you have the better the gene pool.
Any how, it's spring and time to get a new and proper hang strap if you or your friends are flying on a extender. Next pilot may not be so lucky!
And now a Russian novel's worth of moronic discussion about this incident because after about a half century of hang gliding history participants still view the technology involved in extending hang strap length a couple inches with a short length of webbing or rope make a Mars rover mission look like pouring water out of a bucket with an instructions label on the bottom.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

http://ozreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=47013
Electric tape
Davis Straub - 2016/03/15 12:18:44 UTC

Won't hold you connected to your glider

From the Vermont Hang Gliding Forum
jafcmx5 - 2016/03/15 19:22
VHGA

I awoke to the sound of rain. The forecast had not been promising either but it turned out to be just a shower. At breakfast we decided to head out later at 11 to give the heating more time to develop. When we got to launch it was blowing straight in and stronger than the past 2 days. There were Cus out front and patches of blue sky.

Having worked out the turn in my glider and figured out the right number of layers to stay warm I was rigged quickly and ready to go before the rest of the crew. A local pilot was already on launch when I stepped up for a hang check from Damian. After the check I observed the wind was crossing from the back. We both waited and then the local pilot stepped back and rotated his glider tail to launch. I was about to do the same when the wind switched and started blowing up the front. I carried over to launch, set the glider down for a moment, the wind was still up the front so I picked up and ran off.

I headed left to the house thermal, put a few turns in broken lift and then started heading down the spine. I connected with a weak climb that got me up over launch and convinced the local pilot to launch. This fizzled so I pushed out front a short distance and connected and started turning again. Portro launched to join us.

I started zipping up and banged my helmet on the control bar, odd. Then I realized I was hanging lower than I should be. I put in a few more turns and then decided something was wrong so I radioed to Damian that I had an issues and was heading to the LZ to land and figure it out.

10 or 15 seconds later my hang strap tension dropped to zero and I was hanging by my armpits with my elbows over the control bar. As I swung back and forth I tried to get one hand to my parachute bridle but then slipped so I was hanging from the control bar with my arms over head. I let go with my left hand and grabbed my parachute bridle and started ripping it open when I lost my grip with my right hand. I fell facing up, ripped open my chute pocket and hucked upward. I didn't see the chute open but I was yanked hard and was now hanging by the hang strap again, head up and leaning slightly forward. I radioed that I had deployed successfully.

I came down on a steep wooded slope, crashed through a tree, banged the outside of my left thigh on a branch and came to rest on the ground.

My radio antenna runs up my harness mains and deploying had ripped through the coax cable so I had to get out my rubber ducky to respond that I was on the ground and essentially unhurt. I didn't see it happen but the glider came down about 100' from me.

About 10 people came to help get the glider and my parachute out of the trees and hike it all down to the Piano LZ.

The failure to remain connected to the glider was the result of using a hang strap extender. The previous pilot had wrapped electrical tape around the extender, presumably to make it more aerodynamic. As pilot in command I failed on 2 accounts. I should have removed the tape to determine exactly how the extender was attached (or not) to the hang strap. I also should have gotten another extender to act as a secondary. The extender appeared to be doubled over so that there were 2 loops to hook your carabineer through. It is possible I missed one but I highly doubt it. I knew I had to hook into 2 and was conscious of doing so. It seems more likely that the extender had remained in place due to friction and all that tape. Up to this point I had flown the glider 8 hours in this configuration. The glider was intact except an approximately 2' tear along the #6 batten on the top surface. The extender was in the carabineer and the carabineer was locked. The harness mains and secondaries and parachute bridles were intact.

Needless to say I am taking tomorrow off to inspect my gear, see how my bruised leg really feels and talk with Heather.
Electric tape
Davis Straub - 2016/03/15 12:18:44 UTC

Won't hold you connected to your glider
It actually WILL, dickhead. Try reading the account. There's a whole bunch o' shit that hang glider morons have found will hold them connected to their gliders...

http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=22079
Hanging from velcro.........

Sometimes all the way to the old Frisbee in the middle of the LZ, sometimes not. I myself did just fine for a whole flight à la:

Which is why the idiot fucking hang check does NOTHING but INCREASE the probability of a plummet - sometimes fatal, sometimes not.
jafcmx5 - 2016/03/15 19:22
VHGA

I awoke to the sound of rain. The forecast had not been promising either but it turned out to be just a shower. At breakfast...
So much for...

http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=21474
fatal accident in Israel
Fred Wilson - 2012/02/08 15:32:33 UTC

Start your day off right, with a good cup of coffee and a solid breakfast.
...that idea as well.
...we decided to head out later at 11 to give the heating more time to develop. When we got to launch it was blowing straight in and stronger than the past 2 days. There were Cus out front and patches of blue sky.

Having worked out the turn in my glider and figured out the right number of layers to stay warm I was rigged quickly and ready to go before the rest of the crew. A local pilot was already on launch when I stepped up for a hang check from Damian.
Joe Greblo's Four or Five Cs.
After the check I observed the wind was crossing from the back. We both waited and then the local pilot stepped back and rotated his glider tail to launch. I was about to do the same when the wind switched and started blowing up the front. I carried over to launch, set the glider down for a moment, the wind was still up the front so I picked up and ran off.
Confident that you were safely connected to your glider - 'specially as you started feeling your suspension tensioning.
I started zipping up and banged my helmet on the control bar, odd.
Fuck. The hang check doesn't even work to make sure your clearance stays proper.
Then I realized I was hanging lower than I should be.
Reminds me a bit of:

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7570/15661252749_7fcfe6445a_o.jpg
I put in a few more turns and then decided something was wrong so I radioed to Damian that I had an issues and was heading to the LZ to land and figure it out.
What did you need to figure out that required parking in the LZ? You should've done one of two things THE INSTANT you became aware you were hanging lower. The bulletproof but messy one would've been to toss your chute. If you're feeling lucky climb up in your control frame and monkey bar your way to the LZ. With the benefit of hindsight you'd have had no problem pulling that off for this one.
10 or 15 seconds later my hang strap tension dropped to zero...
...for the first time since my fifth step into my launch run...
...and I was hanging by my armpits with my elbows over the control bar. As I swung back and forth I tried to get one hand to my parachute bridle...
Try getting one hand to your deployment handle next time.
...but then slipped so I was hanging from the control bar with my arms over head. I let go with my left hand and grabbed my parachute bridle and started ripping it open when I lost my grip with my right hand.
I'd have been reluctant to start ripping my parachute bridle open at that point.
I fell facing up, ripped open my chute pocket and hucked upward. I didn't see the chute open but I was yanked hard and was now hanging by the hang strap again...
No you weren't. The hang strap was flying safely away with your glider.
...head up and leaning slightly forward. I radioed that I had deployed successfully.
Good to see you got something right that day.
As pilot in command...
I think you're using that term a bit too freely.
I failed on 2 accounts. I should have removed the tape to determine exactly how the extender was attached (or not) to the hang strap.
Well enough to hold you connected to your glider - contrary to Davis Dead-On Straub's only comment on this incident.
I also should have gotten another extender to act as a secondary.
Or you could've just taken a length of eighth inch leechline and done a bunch of coils through your (unextended) hang strap and tied the ends. You'd have been good regardless of any horrors electrical tape might conceal. But on this one there were no horrors.
The extender appeared to be doubled over so that there were 2 loops to hook your carabineer through.
Oh look, Davis! He spells "carabiner" the same way you do. And launches without making sure he's actually connected to his glider. TWO things you have in common.
It is possible I missed one but I highly doubt it.
You missed one.
I knew I had to hook into 2 and was conscious of doing so. It seems more likely that the extender had remained in place due to friction and all that tape. Up to this point I had flown the glider 8 hours in this configuration.
Boy that electrical tape sure was doing the job well. Eight hours with no detectable elongation.
The glider was intact except an approximately 2' tear along the #6 batten on the top surface. The extender was in the carabineer...
If you'd hooked into both loops it wouldn't/couldn't have been. You only hooked into one loop. That's consistent with you're having been fine for 8 hours of previous airtime and your slow elongation shortly after launch on the last one.
...and the carabineer was locked.
Good thing you had that carabiner locked. Might have lost the extender otherwise.
The harness mains and secondaries and parachute bridles were intact.
And glad to see that you had at least one parachute bridle backup.

Care to say anything about hang checks and false senses of security, Tom (Galvin)? Just kidding.
1991/11/03 - Leonard Rabbitz - 55 - Elizabethville, Pennsylvania - Intermediate - Several years - UP Comet I
1997/04/04 - Tom Sapienza - Mount Tom, Coburg Hills, Oregon
But let's keep tying up two people to run hang checks while we keep having zero people looking at the suspension.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

Electric tape
JD Guillemette - 2016/03/15 19:14:29 UTC

Wow, that was a close call and very glad your OK.

If you had an extender loop doubled over, yes you would have had to hook through two loops as you said. If you only got one loop, the tape may have held for a few moments as it did. But you would still have the extender loop on the caribiner if you hooked through only one loop (did you check). If you lost the extender loop, then yes it was likely only secured by tape ... as unbelievable as that sounds.
Wow. Some actual detectable brain activity on The Davis Show. And from this douchebag no less. (Pretty safe assumption he wasn't plagiarizing from Kite Strings.)
I rigged my hang strap with a loop doubled over like that just last weekend to extend a strap on a new to me glider. Only difference (besides not using tape) is I used an extra back up loop as you said you should have. So I thought it silly to hook through 4 loops and this big mess of straps, but glad I did. Initially I didn't think I need the second loop, because the first one is twice as strong as the main hang loop (it's doubled over), but that extender loop is still a single point of failure.
And then he pretty much cancels it all back out.
Get a new proper length hang loop if this is then glider you regularly fly with that harness, and be done with it.

Glad your still with us.
Me too, JD. Totally thrilled. What a blow to the gene pool it would've been otherwise. Everybody in the sport should be breathing a deep sigh of relief.
BTW what chute were you using and you should send a writeup to the manufacturer. They like to know when one of their chutes saved someone
You should also send a write-up to Quallaby, Lockout whenever you can get one of their releases pried open at the top of the tow. They like to use those to show what great track records they have.

It should be astounding that a "pilot" who came within a couple of seconds of extremely totally splattering himself after falling out of his glider is unable to figure out what he did wrong with the smoking gun evidence of his carabiner nicely hooked into the detached extension loop. But it's so totally not.
Steve Davy

Post by Steve Davy »

Tad Eareckson wrote:It should be astounding that a "pilot" who came within a couple of seconds of extremely totally splattering himself after falling out of his glider is unable to figure out what he did wrong with the smoking gun evidence of his carabiner nicely hooked into the detached extension loop. But it's so totally not.
In other words "typical".
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

Electric tape
Steve Seibel - 2016/03/18 17:58:02 UTC

this has happened before
And, glider people being glider people, will again.
A pilot...
Briefly.
...died in Oregon around 1990 in an accident VERY much like this--

* a requirement to hook through two or more different loops to make the hang strap extender topologically secure

* extender wrapped with tape that was able to hold things in position for a while if things were not hooked correctly into all required loops

The pilot stayed in position long enough to fall hundreds of feet to earth. Tall conifers softened the impact and kept him alive long enough to later die of internal bleeding after hours of delay due to law enforcement agency jurisdictional squabbling and failure to contact an available helicopter (Coast Guard helicopter doing practice landings in a neaby city) with hoist capability.
Not quite, Steve...
Bill Bryden - 1999/03

Fortunately, we do not have any recent fatalities to report this month. However, we will reference one from about two years ago to further this month's discussion.

The accident occurred in April of 1997 while the position of USHGA Accident Review Committee Chairman was vacant. Consequently, the important lessons were not reported in the magazine; lessons that the pilot, Tom Sapienza, would certainly have wanted others to learn, consistent with his spirit as a fine instructor. I also know that his family would like his story to be told, and I apologize for it having taken this long. This incident also has a degree of similarity with an accident I recently learned about (reported by our friends from the New Zealand Hang Gliding and Paragliding Association), which is in part why I chose to discuss it here.

Tom performed a hang check and proceeded to foot-launch his competition glider from the ramp normally. As he cleared the launch area he transitioned to a prone position and shouted a thank you to the launch assistants who turned away, and who thus failed to witness the events that followed. Details are not precisely known, but the conclusion is that Tom's harness detached from the glider. He held on to the control bar, which possibly inverted and dove the glider into tall trees well below the launch area. He fell approximately 110 feet to the ground below and died four or five hours later after a lengthy evacuation to the hospital.

The mystery is how his harness separated from the glider. The carabiner was found closed and locked, and the hang loops on the glider were intact and properly connected. A search of the launch area revealed a third intact hang strap on the ground midway between launch and crash sites. Prior to launch, Tom had to make some hang loop adjustments to accommodate the shorter straps on the harness he was using. It seems that this third strap was used to make the adjustment.

Various methods were tried to recreate likely modifications and determine the most probable cause of the failure. It would appear that the third strap was looped three times to extend the main and backup straps, and that Tom only hooked into two of the three loops. It appears that no additional backup or redundancy system was used. When recreated, this arrangement could support some weight momentarily, but the straps would eventually slip and separate.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

33-02705c

So remember, people of varying ages... Always make sure you're clipped into your backup loop in case the main breaks under load. And check to make sure your carabiner's locked. Also not a bad idea to clip a spare helmet to your control bar so you'll be good if your primary flies off. And always maintain safe altitude. (But that goes without saying.)
Steve Davy

Post by Steve Davy »

Tad Eareckson - 2011/02/01 06:51:14 UTC

A backup loop makes the pilot look stupid. It's a flag that announces, "I don't really understand the physics and engineering of my aircraft."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nsnlF7fJYE

:lol:

P.S.
http://www.willswing.com/harnesses/covert/
The Covert is a race style harness incorporating a carbon fiber backplate supported by a single suspension main.
No backup on the harness main. Certain death is sure to follow, just you wait and see.