General discussion about the sport of hang gliding
Tad Eareckson

Re: Surface towing for teaching

Post by Tad Eareckson »

http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=27396
Scooter tow faillure... or Never Land On Your Face
Matt Christensen - 2012/10/18 23:37:38 UTC
Vienna, Virginia

PJ, Very sorry that this incident happened to you. With the right instruction and equipment, scooter towing is IMO a key tool in modern HG training. I learned via scooter tow and have seen hundreds of foot launch tows by total newbs without incident.

I like your approach of taking full accountability.
I don't, he's not, and he shouldn't.
You can never count on those around you to keep you safe and I think you are a safer pilot if you acknowledge that.
You may not be able to but, in many circumstances - including/especially towing - you HAVE to.

Hang glider towing is the equivalent of being in a cockpit with a copilot who:
- has FULL control of your throttle while you have none whatsoever
- can abruptly and permanently kill the engine when it's running full throttle at the most critical of moments
- as long as the engine is running, can overpower your control of the ailerons, elevator, and rudder
- has a failproof ejection seat to remove himself from whatever nonrecoverable situation in which he has left you
- will be the expert witness who submits the fatality report
- will never in a thousand years be held the slightest bit accountable for any of the carnage he creates

And if you think you're good enough to survive any combination of shit that he and Mother Nature is throwing at you then you have absolutely no business whatsoever hooking up.
If you are killed in an accident on launch, it doesn't do a hell of a lot of good to say it was the instructors fault...
It sure does for the next guy. If Steve Fucking Wendt - your instructor, by the way - had had his instructor's certification permanently revoked and ass sued out of existence for signing Bill Priday off without ever once required, taught, or mentioned hook-in checks and if USHGA had had its ass sued out of existence for permitting him - along with every other instructor in its goddam programs - to get away with that shit for decades there's a real good chance that both Kunio and Lenami would still be alive.
Of course you want future students to be safe and everyone needs to be accountable blah, blah, but my point is you are still dead.
We've got enough focus on dead pilots to last us the next couple of centuries and virtually no focus on instructors, tow drivers, administrators, and equipment manufacturers. We need to start shifting the balance towards blah, blah bigtime.
We are all accountable for our own safety first and foremost, even when we are receiving instruction. Having said that, I have always been vocal about safety concerns and quick to comment if things don't seem right.
Really? I've never heard you getting real vocal in discussions about Industry Standard releases, tug weak links, standard aerotow weak links, sidewire load tests, hook-in checks, mandatory stunt landings, or Davis, Jack, Rooney, Sam, or Bob.
I also agree that as a community we owe it to each other to be vocal about any safety concerns and that includes pilots that we see getting away with poor practices, i.e. bad launches, bad landings, choosing to fly in poor conditions, etc...
- Nobody's ever been shy about talking about bad launches and the people who make them tend to get pretty good feedback whether or not anyone says anything.

- If we had people roll landings in whenever they came down on surfaces where they could there wouldn't be enough bad landings to be worth talking about.

- If we don't fly in poor conditions we don't stay up very long and it tends not to be worth the effort of staying up.

You're not addressing anything that's gonna make a difference.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

Tim Dyer - 2012/10/18 23:39:00 UTC

I can see over the bar, low and slow, but not a full tow.(look at that, I'm a poet and didn't know it 8-) )The angle of the line would be to great to not touch the bar and cause issues.
- That's not an issue as long as the pulley's in front of you - all it does is restrict your climb at a noncritical part of the flight.
- What WAS a critical issue was Paul's total inability to abort the tow when he really needed to.

Given that he eschewed the launch dolly and had a tailwind and a driver doing a less than steller job the ability to abort the tow at will entirely on his call would've been the best thing he could've had going for him. But he was effectively welded to the towline and that state has been such business as usual for the past three plus decades that nobody's even discussing it.
I also see your point with the cart, allowing the glider to achieve the speed necessary with the keel attachment.
Really? You think it may be a good idea to use launch dollies to launch? Do remind me to run that idea by some of the aerotow operations.
Thanks for the well wishes and debate.
There's nothing that needs to or should be debated here.
Guest - 2012/10/18 23:40:40 UTC

Paul,

Respect!
For what?
As a Lookout pilot...
As far as I can tell, there's no such thing as a Lookout pilot.
...I heard about this (and Colin's 'incident') soon after it happened.
So how come the rest of us don't get to hear about Colin's 'incident'?

Oh...

http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=20756
How is Zach Etheridge doing?
Bob Flynn - 2011/02/04 11:26:34 UTC

Lookout keeps this kind of stuff under their hat. You never hear of accidents there. But every time I go there, I hear about quite a few. Blown launches, tree landings, etc.
Right.
I was relieved to hear your injuries weren't more serious. I then began to wonder how long it would take for you to post your story, since you are a serial poster here, and like to share your experiences, good or not-so-good... it took a bit of courage, yes?
Why? What are the possible repercussions he might suffer for anything he's saying? What's he saying that's gonna make much of a difference in this sport?
Respect!
Yeah. You said that already.
It's obvious that you learned several very important lessons, and you are now a better HG pilot.
BULLSHIT. He can't breathe as easily as he did before. And breathing is an important prerequisite for flying hang gliders.
I agree with the other posters that you should not shoulder all the responsibility for this incident, nor should Colin for his. Perhaps the anonymous tow guy will add to this discussion, if he feels it would help.

Ask Dan Zink how his first scooter towing experience went!

And, once again, Paul... Respect!
Save it.
Mike Lake - 2012/10/19 00:45:33 UTC

NMERider is correct the bridle is not the problem whatever you call it.

But first, at least for this post, let's clarify this protow, aerotow, one point, two point, three point, confusion.

One point = Pilot only.
The line is attached in some way to the pilot only, just the pilot, only one place where the 'thrust' is going, and that would be the pilot, just the pilot regardless of the sewing details. The important thing is that the forces are not split with an attachment to the glider 'cos that would be two point.

Two point = Pilot and glider.
The important thing is that the forces ARE split with an attachment to the pilot AND glider, hence two point. Two areas of 'thrust', Pilot AND Glider, so that would be two point, not one or three but two.
You'da thunk most of these assholes would've been able to have picked that up watching Sesame Street a good while back.
One or two point can and are used for both aerotowing and ground towing so you could call either an aerotow bridle, but I hope not.

You can winch launch by foot with either system. Of the two systems two point is a SAFER method than one point because with one point you lose some of your ability to keep the nose of the glider down when close to the ground.
Your climb might be restricted with two point depending on how far the top attachment point is towards the nose of the glider and whether the bottom line is over or under the base bar. Under the base bar and you lose some of the T/O advantage because the line (with some of the force) is pulling the base bar up. Over the base bar and the top out is restricted.

With one point ideally the line should go over the base bar for T/O and transfer under for maximum climb out. One point under the base bar on T/O introduces an extra element of risk because the line (at full force) is pulling the base bar up.
(Egg sucking tuition over).

Basically then, PJ, being allowed to foot launch with maybe a tailwind and no experience in launching in such conditions was likely to have been your downfall, not the bridle arrangement (or the other things on your list).
NMERider - 2012/10/19 01:11:04 UTC

Here is how this is properly executed as shown by my friend Olaf at the Hamburg Hang Gliding Club...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dtvjfz8ak8
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

Paul Edwards - 2012/10/19 12:53:11 UTC

Thanks everyone for the input. I don't know enough about towing rigs to weigh in.
If you flew a kite at the beach when you were ten years old you know enough to weigh in. And if you understand that putting weak links on both ends of a bridle doesn't double the strength of the system you can kick Mitch's ass.
The other launches I saw on this rig were done using a two point release off of a dolly with the lines above the bar. No one was towing high... just enough to release and land.
How much nicer your day would've gone if you had duplicated that.
During my launch my AOA was way too low. If I had pushed out little bit chances are good I would have gotten off safely.
The fact that you said the chances were good that you'd have gotten off safely indicates to me that you wouldn't have. I'd have bought it if you had said, "If I had just pushed out little bit the tow would've been a no brainer."
Even though the operator had told me as much just moments beforehand, when it came time to execute my years of mountain launch training took over and I just didn't do it. Had I done a few practice runs I think it would have been a no-brainer.
You think.
Had the wind been blowing in at five miles per hour I would have gotten away with it.
That statement sounds backed with a lot more confidence.
Were I on a Falcon I would have been flying already, bad AOA and all.
Maybe. I'm not sure.
Had I a proper set of wheels I likely would have had an embarrassing splat, got up, dusted myself off, and tried again. As is so often the case, it is when the risk factors start to stack up that we get into trouble. With so much working against the launch it is not surprising that it when sour.
Yep.
As a pilot, I look at accountability from the bottom up. I'm responsible for my actions because it's my life at stake.
When your life is at stake the guy who's supplying the only power that has the ability to end it better be feeling some responsibility as well.

If you're saying otherwise then there should be no problem grabbing the nearest first time wuffo, putting him at the throttle, and saying, "When I nod my head you hit it."
Matt said it eloquently.
Matt said what Steve Wendt taught him to say. Steve's business model and legal survivability is based on the strategy that the instructors and drivers only get credit for successful flights - never unhooked launches or near fatal lockout crashes.
As a community...
Fuck the community. This sport needs a lot more thinking individuals to offset some of the damage done by the communities.
...it is important that we look at it from the top down.
The very same strategy we use when we're trying to locate a body from the Whitwell ramp.
That is to say we need to have a set of high safety standards that we all live by.
Sounds like regulation talk to me. Somebody get a rope.
E.G. A towing operation must take accountability for the safety of its operation.
But it's so much easier to snow the flying public, tell everybody to trust them because of their vast experience, there's no equipment on the planet that has the length of track record that the stuff they're selling does, and that if there were better ways of doing things everyone would be doing them already.
The crew and, for that matter, every pilot standing around that has a pair of eyes should be on the lookout for red flags.
You mounted your Wallaby release lever on your basetube because common sense - if not the binders of fatality reports - told you that you could get killed a lot easier with the lever on your downtube when the shit hit the fan. (And you're little scooter tow adventure SHOULD have reinforced that perception a good bit.) When you see someone on a cart with a lever on a downtube do you see a red flag?
We owe it to each other to speak up.
- When you see some flight park asshole showing a student how to velcro a lever to a downtube do you speak up?
- After nothing happens what's your next move?
If we adopt this attitude the whole affair becomes safer for everyone.

I am fortunate to live in an area that fosters an amazing flying community.
It's amazing alright - but definitely not in a way that makes you fortunate to live in that area.
I didn't have to try and force the tow operator to take accountability for his part in this because my friends stepped up. Not just because they're my friends, but because it was the right thing to do for the future safety of this guy's students.
After they graduate from Mitch's scooter they're gonna be flying at Quest, Wallaby, and Florida Ridge - so what's the point?
I didn't have to chide my peers for not speaking up and telling me I was stepping in it because they all came to that conclusion themselves.
Nothin' like a twenty-five mile per hour faceplant to make things obvious - even to the Chattanooga crowd.
Honestly, I think this is the way it has to be. I couldn't stand up, as the idiot who made the decision to launch, and start blaming the tow operator for letting me launch...
I was a partial idiot flying with Mike Robertson's operation at Ellenville - but after the way he let me take all the heat and fucked me over beyond that I've got no problem whatsoever ripping apart someone who's contributed a fair bit of negligence to a situation.
...or blaming the assembled crowd of pilots for not trying to stop me.
If there had only been one other person present at the operation he might have said something that would've resulted in a better day. Three or more - forget it.
However bringing those important factors to the fore did need to happen, and thankfully my flying community rose to the task admirably.
And now their work is done and they can go back to ignoring Matt and that deadly piece shit aerotow "release" he sells all over the world - while equipping his own tandem gliders with weak linkless Wallabies.
If I am ever on the other side of this equation you can bet I'll do my utmost to return the favor.
Look around, dude. Hang gliding is a Great Plains of red flags. You could easily spend the rest of your life doing your utmost to return the favor.
Fly safe people!
PJ
First they gotta figure out what safe flying is. And I'm not holding my breath on that one - 'specially in that brain damaged little Jack Show "community" to which you're posting.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

Mikkel Krogh - 2012/10/19 15:23:14 UTC

Here is an other example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcnx2Hw9W0g
And another example of a launch dolly lying idle while someone foot launches.
Brad Barkley - 2012/10/19 15:47:21 UTC
Frostburg

Like Matt, I learned to fly by taking scooter tow lessons. It was close to impossible to launch in even a slight tail wind. I did it once, when it was VERY slight, just a bare trickle, and I had to run my a$$ off.
Thank you for spelling "ass" with dollar signs. One never knows when someone of a varying age might be reading the thread.
If it was more than a slight trickle, we wouldn't launch at all, or would switch fields and face the other way. I have also seen people blow out quads or hamstrings trying to outrun what again was just a trickle of tailing wind, though most ended up in the dirt.
And the reason for NOT using dollies was?
(Seeing any red flags here, Paul?)
I think you are also right about holding the nose angle down as you would on a FL. With a scooter tow launch, after the first couple of steps you have to let the glider out to trim, otherwise it just gets ahead of you.
Yeah, let's keep launching and landing these things on foot - no matter how difficult and dangerous it is. It's the only thing we have besides weight shift control to separate us from sailplanes - and keep instructors and doctors in business.
NMERider - 2012/10/19 15:58:32 UTC

I used to know a pilot who got lifted up and swept sideways off the launch area at Crestline. When I debriefed him afterward, he told me that scooter towing was his primary launch method and he was in the "habit" of holding his nose high in the launch area. Unfortunately, this "habit" caught up to him on the ramp at Henson's Gap and killed him.
Chris Thale - 2009/11/27?
Ask Nibs if you want to know the details.

Then look at what happened to Julia Kucherenko's face last year:

http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?p=239944

So, even a launch cart, if improperly set up for a particular glider can also result in a face plant due to low AoA. So, you are far from alone in the annals of tow launch face plants. Myself and others have had our control bars get jammed back into launch ramps when holding our AoA too low in gusty conditions and there is a video of a glider getting sucked under a ramp on the Michigan lake shore that had its nose too low.

On the Org, most of the harping on each other seems to center around too high of an AoA on launch but as you and a multitude of others have borne witness, it is all critical whether high or low.
It's not all that critical on a cart. Just set it a bit nose high and it'll trim as you're picking up speed.
Thanks again for reporting so that other may learn and benefit. And of course the arguing and debating can be fun too.
Paul Edwards - 2012/10/19 16:15:20 UTC

Yeah, totally. Your story about the scooter tow pilot's experience is similar to mine. I understood intellectually the technique for achieving the proper AOA for a scooter tow, however I failed to execute the technique well because of my years of mountain launch experience.
Tim Dyer - 2012/10/19 17:12:11 UTC

The OP had a 3 point system.
NOBODY has a three point system.
Attached to the chest and keel 6" in front of the hang strap. Just for clarity, PUD/NME do you think this is a good set up for ground tow? Even with a cart?
Paul Edwards - 2012/10/19 17:17:05 UTC

This was one thing specifically mentioned by the tow operator. His opinion was that we should have connected the upper to the carabiner, not out on the keel at my aerotow hang point.
Mike Lake - 2012/10/19 21:35:19 UTC

You mean of course a two point bridle, pilot AND glider, so that's two point not three.
Sorry to be fussy but when describing the FLYING qualities of the various forms of towing three point is a nonsense.

Anyway, the SAFEST form of foot launch winch towing is one with a top leg connected in front of the hang point.
This configuration is desirable as the pilot does not have to put so much effort into keeping the nose down on T/O.
Once flying and just off the ground keeping the nose down, or more to the point, not letting it get too high is far more important, despite PJ's face plant.

Had PJ been briefed about tow launch T/O angles...
He was.
...and had there been a bit of a breeze in his face T/O would have been easy.
This assumes a tow system powerful enough to get him safely away from the ground in the first place and not so weak as to scrape him along with little chance of aviation.
He's using a standard aerotow weak link so the value of this part of the discussion is a bit limited.
I have had hundreds of tows with two point systems with the top leg set in front of the hang point.

However, two point systems can restrict you at the top end making it an effort to get maximum height, also the bits of the bridle can get in the way and there is the over/under compromise for the bottom leg of the bridle.

One point systems were developed out of a need for convenience sacrificing a bit of safety in the process. Many think this trade off worth it including me.
As the tow angle steepens the value of two point diminishes, disappears, and becomes negative.
So to recap and answer your question.
For training new winch tow pilots a two point system is not only suitable but desirable.
For convenience and maximum performance one point is better.
In all cases a trace of tail wind will make T/O difficult, combine this with a weak tow and the likely outcome is just like any other stall/mush on T/O.
And I don't think there's any question that Mitch was giving him a nice safe GRADUAL transition to flight - as prescribed by Dr. Hewett.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

Mitch Shipley - 2012/10/22 19:04:16 UTC
Quest Air

Greetings all,

Mitch Shipley here. My apologies for not posting sooner.
Points for showing up - not sure that you really had a whole lot of choice though.
Davis...
Your good friend Davis. Tireless supporter of everything Quest - regardless of the number of people it kills. Nah - BECAUSE of the number of people it kills.
...sent me the link of PJ's outstanding report a while back...
And it's not worth giving these forums a scan every now and then to keep abreast of some of the shit that goes on? Especially one of these in which it was you on the other end of the string?
...but my first attempts at registering / logging in on the forum resulted in just frustration...
Yeah. I never could get on as Tad Eareckson - that's why I was AeroTow.

Much easier to get off though - just start making Jack and some of his pet ass kissers look like the morons they are. But you don't need to worry about that any - YOU'LL always be plenty welcome.
I'm on now.
We can tell.
OK, I am the anonymous tow operator to take my full share of the responsibility here in the incident and offer my lessons learned.
Maybe people would like to come over here instead. All the lessons you needed to crash somebody to learn were emphasized a few hundred times over in these threads well before your little clusterfuck.
I brought my ElektraTow (ET) system to the Team Challenge for some landing clinic training.
Good job, Mitch. People flying in the Chattanooga area might as well slash their wrists as launch without highly polished foot landing skills. Ditto with respect to Quest and Ridgely.

Ever consider putting your energies into advancing issues that would make this sport better and safer instead? Just kidding.
I've developed and operated the system over the last two years at Quest Air flight park in Groveland FL.
Did Shannon Moon ever get to take it for a spin before being crippled out of the sport? If so, how was her flare timing?
I have hundreds of all sorts of tows on the system (dolly launch, foot launch, hang gliders, paragliders, tandem, solo, and even towed canoes and kayaks across our lake at Quest). I am a believer in the training utility of a scooter tow type approach, as well as advantages that an electronic tow system brings to the table over gas driven systems.
What are your beliefs about:
- weak links which meet the FAA legal minimum and are proportional to glider capacities?
- releases that can be used in emergencies to abort tows?
- wheel landings?
- hook-in checks?
Following the failed attempts to use the Henson's LZ as a training site, ET very successfully operated over the next three days out of the Galloway grass airstrip doing dolly, foot launch (330 Condor and 195 Falcon) and tandem paragliders.

First, PJ was very gracious in his response throughout this whole unfortunate incident. His "personal responsibility" view throughout his posts says a lot for his future success in hang gliding. We are the ones that hook in and say "Clear!!".
Yeah Mitch. That's EXACTLY what we do. Hook in, skip the hook-in check, and say "Clear!!"

http://ozreport.com/9.201
Unhooked
Dean Funk - 2005/10/02

Bill Priday, a pilot from Richmond, launched unhooked yesterday (Saturday) from the Whitwell site here in Tennessee. Whitwell is a cliff launch with a mixture of trees below, extremely steep terrain, and multiple cliff bands. The pilot separated from the glider at tree level and did not survive the fall.

This terrible accident happened on the first day of our Team Challenge.
But I guess after what happened on the first day of the Team Challenge seven years ago people in that neck of the woods have really got their shit together on this issue.
No amount of finger pointing changes the fact that we personally will suffer the majority of the consequences.
I have this theory that if a lot more instructors, tow operators, and meet heads suffered a lot more consequences the percentage of pilots who suffer consequences would go WAY down. (By the way... How much did you chip in to help out with Paul's medical expenses?)
All great hang glider pilots I know have that attitude and so does PJ.
Name some. I don't know of a lot of people who fly hang gliders who impress me all that much - and it's pretty much a no brainer that there's not a lot of overlap on our lists.
Second, PJ's analysis is right on. It speaks volumes for his awareness and understanding of the issues, as well as his willingness to take, give and hear input on his flying.
What flying? He never got airborne.
In general the whole TTT flying community is very "pro-learning" and does a great job in that regard as I witnessed during the TTT Team Challenge.
World leaders without a doubt. One would hardly expect anything less with damn near all of them being nurtured by the great program Matt runs.
So while PJ was pilot in command...
Bullshit.

He had no control over his thrust, ability to abort the tow, or landing gear to allow him to safely stop the glider. And if he HAD been able to get airborne there was an element in his tow system which would've left him hanging by a thread. If there was a "pilot" in command of that pooch screw it was you - hands down.
I failed him in three significant ways as instructor/operator.
I can come up with a few more than that no problem.
PJ hit the most of these points and I'll reinforce.

1) Casual/non-skeptical approach to two significant "first time" flying situations. First time the ElektraTow (ET) system had been used in Henson's main LZ.
Relevant how?
First time PJ had foot launched any hang glider by scooter type tow. My instructor radar should have been screaming "Danger Will Robinson, Danger!!" and it wasn't.

There are several reasons (none of them good...) for this that are worth pointing out. The most significant and insidious is that as instructors/experts...
What are your "expert" qualifications?

http://ozreport.com/16.078
The Rob Kells Meet
Davis Straub - 2012/04/18 15:02:09 UTC

Mitch Shipley (T2C 144) crashed at launch after a weak link break. He tried to stretch out the downwind leg and then drug a tip turning it around and took out his keel (at least).
How many tows do you have under your belt and how come you don't seem to be able to stay airborne behind a Dragonfly long enough to get to a comfortable approach altitude?
...we have to be very careful to view our training situations through the lens and abilities of the people we are helping fly and not our own.
Paul's glider stayed in a lot better shape than yours did.
I was excited to tow in the Henson's LZ. The LZ is a potato chip in shape and elevation, which brings in new elements (both good and bad) to such a towing operation. Not only a new place, but one with 75 feet or so elevation of the launch above the turn-around pulley. That offered some cool possibilities. Foot launching down a shallow slope that you could easily foot launch without a tow seemed like a risk reducer to me.
A lot of gas at the right time - for similar reasons - would seem like a risk reducer to me. How 'bout you?
It would have been a risk reducer that made the flight very doable for me, even in no wind or light tail, but I wasn't doing the flying! PJ was and for his first foot launch tow!

Which brings up the next casual/non-skeptical approach mistake...
Back up a little. Why was he foot launching?
...I didn't know anything about PJ's abilities/skills/strengths/weaknesses other than what he told me there in the LZ...
You had a pretty good idea that he was at least a Hang Two by virtue of the fact that he had just landed in one piece in the Henson primary.
...and his enthusiasm for wanting to foot launch tow his glider was contagious.
All the stupid shit in this sport - hang checks, backup loops, Skyting Theory, Quest Links, Quest releases, hook knives, "pro towing", standup spot landings - is contagious. And the good stuff - hook-in checks, Newtonian physics, legal weak link configurations, built in releases, runway wheel landings - is avoided like the plague.
Now PJ is a very self-aware hang gliding pilot and represented his experience well to me, but that very well could not have been the case. I should have viewed the situation through a more skeptical filter and crafted an approach (i.e. try a Falcon first as has been suggested)...
How 'bout the fuckin' dolly?
...that had better safety margin while trying these new things, as well as doing it in a place similar to all my experience - flat grass air park.
Sounds like a really great place for taking off and landing on wheels.
2) Aero-Tow bridal arrangement and mountain foot launch muscle memory.

a. I know the proper bridal arrangement...
What's a bridal arrangement?
- Something from the florist's for the reception?
- Where the maid of honor is positioned for the group photo?
- Wedding plans for six year old girls in India?
...and missed it completely. The two pilots before PJ launched off an aerotow cart, as is my approach in 90% of my ET towing and I failed to mentally shift to the foot launch approach.
So why even shift to the foot launch approach? I haven't heard the justification from either Paul or you.
His three point tow bridal...
Fuck you, dude.

- Mike:

-- has gone to a lot of trouble, REPEATEDLY, to explain to the Jack Show morons why the two flavors of towing are one - pilot only - and two - pilot and glider - point.

-- was an important part of the development of modern towing. If the job had been left to a pile of you Quest caliber assholes we'd all still be towing off the control frame and listening to you talking about how you'd been busy perfecting aerotowing for two decades and that if there was a better way of towing everybody would be doing it already.

-- doesn't send people to Jim Rooney to benefit from his keen intellect like lambs to the slaughter.

-- knows what a weak link is. None of you assholes has a fucking clue.

-- can spell "BRIDLE".

- Lemme quote ya sumpin' from Page 25 of excellent book, Towing Aloft - 1998/01, by Dennis Pagen and Bill Bryden:
HANG GLIDING BRIDLE TYPES

After discussing bridle materials, we begin with two-point bridles. They are classified as two-point because they route to both the pilot and glider and divide the forces between the two. We then discuss single-point bridles which route only to the pilot.
That's the sacred text endorsed and sold by your national organization and it's got a track record of going nearly a decade and a half now without needing so much as a revision of a single punctuation mark.
...(and it is three point...
And you obviously read what Mike said or you wouldn't be writing this rot in contradiction.
...one on the glider taking 50%+ of tow force and one on each shoulder splitting the remaining 50%+ tow force at 25%+ a piece.
So the stuff on the end of the towline takes more force than the tension of the towline delivers?

Yeah, when you start moving bridle attachment points apart there will be increased loading on them but that's not increased tow force. If the tug is pulling 150 pounds straight ahead the pilot/glider system will - as a result - be feeling a forward vector of 150 pounds and nothing more, less, or elsewhere.
Important points worth mentioning about being a 3 vs 2 point system are that tow bridal angle can significantly increase bridal tension above tow force and the two weak links - one at keel and one on shoulder - experience different tensions by a factor of two...
Lemme fix that for you...

Due to the wide apex angle - approximately sixty degrees - of the TWO point / primary bridle the strain it feels is half the towline tension plus fifteen percent.

The secondary bridle feels a strain of half that figure plus a little more but since the attachments (on the pilot's shoulders) are so close together and the apex angle is so acute - especially at Quest where we assholes use a bridle six times longer than it should be - this increase is negligible.

When a cheap Quest bridle wraps at the tow ring during release - over fifty percent of the time in higher tension situations - or when some moron like Lauren uses a weak link six times longer than it should be and it welds itself to the tow ring during a normal tension release, the system becomes one point and the strain on the one point bridle is a negligible bit over half the towline tension. This is a good thing because it's a real bitch to pry open a Quest bent pin backup release under any kind of load.

Because a Quest two point bridle can wrap it's important to have a weak link below the tow ring as well as above.

But, although a Quest one point bridle can wrap just as easily as a two point, NEVER use weak links on both ends because that will result in a doubling of the towline tension required to blow.

A Quest link is a loop of 130 pound Greenspot installed on the bridle with the knot positioned such that it's hidden from the main tension in the link and excluded altogether from the equation and blows - obviously - at 260 pounds direct or 520 pounds towline.

Installing a weak links on both ends would - obviously result in a towline blow tension of 1040 pounds and that force is high enough to tear the wings off the glider. This is no exaggeration... it can be done.

With a proper Quest configuration if the 260 pound Quest Link on your left shoulder blows and the bridle wraps, just dump the resultant 520 pounds with your Quest bent pin backup release real fast before the loads build up any more - you'll be fine
...but I digress ....)...
No. Please continue. I'd like to hear the important points worth mentioning about two versus one point systems.

Also...
Important points worth mentioning about being a 3 vs 2 point system are that tow bridal angle can significantly increase bridal tension above tow force and the two weak links - one at keel and one on shoulder - experience different tensions by a factor of two...
WHY is it an important point worth mentioning that a two (three) point tow bridle (bridal) angle can significantly increase bridle tension? What are we supposed to do with that information?

Should we use a fifteen percent heavier weak link for towing two point than we do for one? Or should we follow Dr. Trisa Tilletti's lead and use a fifteen percent heavier weak link for towing one point than we do for two? Maybe it's a latitude thing - or something in the water.

This is all so confusing to me. It sure is a good thing we've got brilliant PhDs like you and Trisa to explain all this stuff to us. I'd really hate to have to be taxing Jim Rooney's keen intellect all the time with these endless questions.
...had the keel attachment point set to moderate the bar pressure of a 30+MPH aerotow. As mentioned, the attachment some six inches ahead of the downtube junction on the keel made his trim speed on tow well above what he could generate running.
Likewise, if you feel like it on a free flight foot launch, you can tilt the nose down to an attitude which would necessitate a 40 plus mile per hour no wind takeoff speed.
That said, I have towed that way in foot launching and it is easy to push out to establish what ever Angle of Attack (AOA) is required to fly the glider.
Yes.
That said, however, the tow position on the keel required PJ to push out on the downtubes to get the required AOA.

b. As PJ mentioned, we talked about the importance of controlling AOA during the launch and the fact that it would be a higher AOA than mountain foot launch.
BULLSHIT. The PITCH ATTITUDE is higher. The ANGEL OF ATTACK is THE SAME.
That said, requiring a pilot to overcome recent muscle memory in launching a new method does not have a high percent chance of success - we all revert to recent successful techniques as the adrenaline goes up and I think that was a contributor to PJs failed launch. Both his "pull in" TTT ramp foot launch muscle memory and the transition from a grapevine to bottle grip on the downtubes right as he got the wing flying and tow tension was increasing...
Yeah Mitch. Right as he got the wing flying - when he was running flat out - and YOU *FINALLY* increased the tension.
Paul Edwards - 2012/10/17 15:41:42 UTC

I run. I run some more. Still running. Just as the glider starts to lift off my shoulders I feel the line tension increase and it's as if the hand of God grabbed me by the chest and pulled me through the control frame.
Great timing dude.
...conspired against him.
On a dolly launch you could've gotten away with that shit.
The video...
WHAT VIDEO?
...shows he had perhaps half a second after getting his hands to a bottle grip to push out, maintain/raise AOA and get flying at a lower than aerotow trim speed, but the point is he had to push out to get that AOA - something he would not have to had to do at all (or at least much less) had the upper bridal tow point been placed on the carabineer.
There's a reason you're describing what's on the video instead of posting it so we all can see what happened. And it's not to difficult to figure out what it is. (Hope you didn't hafta swallow the memory card after watching it.)

Also... That's the same way Davis mangles the spelling of carabiner. Really love the way the Quest Cult feels so comfortable rewriting language, math, aerodynamics, physics... in its own image.
3) Conditions were poor. No wind or switchy cycles of 5 MPH or less, with nothing coming straight in well. Just not the conditions for a first time foot launch of a double surface glider. Had PJ had 5+ MPH in the face as he launched, I bet he would have been fine.
Yeah, it's amazing how well one is able to overcome ramp launch muscle memory when one isn't running twenty miles an hour waiting for the bozo on the winch to crank up the tension.
A classic incident where several things conspired and resulted in a terrible outcome.
No. THINGS didn't conspire - PEOPLE did.
It is a tough dance that we do.
Bullshit. You stupid arrogant assholes MAKE it a tough dance with your crap equipment and creative English and math.
We engage in a sport that has risk...
The vast majority of which you create.
...and that is part of the attraction.
FUCK THAT.

- NOBODY, despite all the macho crap one here's from brain dead Hang Threes on the forums, is attracted to risk. Yes, buzzing ramps is fun. But NOBODY does it in conditions in which he thinks there's a one percent chance that he's gonna fuck up and clip a tree with his left wingtip 'cause that'll make it MORE fun. Just like Chris Muller wasn't thinking two seconds before his fatal impact, "Gee, snatching a goodie bag off a traffic cone going seventy miles an hour is really fun 'cause I might hit the cone, plow in, and break my neck." He was doing what he was doing 'cause the was confident that he was good enough to have eliminated one hundred percent of the risk.

- Anybody who signs a Hang One on a student who's taking lessons 'cause he's attracted to the risk of the sport instead of calling the appropriate authorities and helping him get committed needs to have his certification permanently revoked.

- Were either you or Paul thinking, "Let's see what we can do to make this tow a little riskier. It would be a lot more fun if we could increase the likelihood of a faceplant."?
Too cavalier and you don't survive.
Cavalier attitudes - as pertaining to Paul, you, and everyone present - had absolutely NOTHING to do with this incident. You were easy on the throttle and Paul was low on the nose because you and he were trying to keep the tow as safe as possible. Unfortunately, both of those actions were the wrong call - especially in combination.
If you want the best chance of survival, don't fly.
Or don't fly behind total fucking assholes who make statements like:
Whatever's going on back there, I can fix it by giving you the rope.
A few years ago, I started refusing to tow people with home made gear.
And yes, get behind me with a "strong link" and I will not tow you.
It's more of this crappy argument that being on tow is somehow safer than being off tow.
See, the thing is... "we", the people that work at and run aerotow parks, have a long track record. We know what we're doing.
Enjoy your posts, as always, and find your comments solid, based on hundreds of hours / tows of experience and backed up by a keen intellect/knowledge of the issues when it comes to most things in general and hang gliding AT/Towing in particular. Wanted to go on record in case anyone reading wanted to know one persons comments they should give weight to.
Our buddies/friends/instructors can, should and do help us, but the cold hard X-Ray table only has room for one.
When ya pull off two-fers ya just get an extra X-ray table for the postmortems.
- 1996/07/25 - Gates Field
- 1998/10/25 - Groveland
- 2002/08/17 - Fort Langley
- 2005/09/03 - Cushing Field

Shortages were never problems in any of those.
People make poor judgments.
The ones you focused on aren't our big problems.
I feel I did in PJ's case and I am not the first or last buddy/friend/instructor to do so.
Don't feel too bad. Pretty much all buddies/friends/instructors in this sport totally suck.
I absolutely could have been the one to say no, let's not try this and pushed back more against his enthusiasm.
His primary objective was to practice his stupid foot landings. How crushed do you think his enthusiasm would've been if, instead of just saying no, you'd suggested he use a dolly?
I also could have done better at the attempt. I feel terrible about the outcome that I was a significant part in creating, however gracious PJ has been. I can guarantee it will make me a better instructor - I owe PJ that much at least.
It'll make you better at doing things wrong. But in the big picture / long run you'll continue to suck as much as you always have and do your bit to leave the sport - on the balance - a good deal worse than you found it - even if your work on your ElektraTow system is of some value.
OK, my input. I gotta go fly now.

Mitch
Gonna take a break - not, unfortunately (thanks to your douchebag buddies), to go flying. But I'm not done with this one.
Steve Davy

Post by Steve Davy »

That is first class work, Tad. Well done!

Steve Davy
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

Thanks, that one was exhausting.

Thanks also - zillions - for all the PMs notifying me of the typos and less forgivable errors that the spellcheck won't pick up in my posts. I'm often seeing double and reading what I thought versus actually wrote by the time I do final proofreads and click submit.

Anybody else sees any mistakes I'm always happy to know about them - no matter how smell.

(Yeah, that was a test.)
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

Tim Dyer - 2012/10/22 20:25:36 UTC

Thanks Mitch, well said.
Fuck both of you.
Mike Lake - 2012/10/22 20:57:33 UTC

I said when describing the FLYING characteristics of the two systems ie: tow from the pilot only or the pilot and glider.
Logic would dictate that pilot only is one point and pilot + glider two point.
You're talking to a Quest asshole. Logic doesn't dictate shit. The long track record is the name of the game.
The method of attachment is a cosmetic detail irrelevant to PJ's 'event' and only serves to confuse.
Yeah. Confusion inevitably goes with the long track record.
Some two point systems with a weak link at the apex may have a single ring to attach the lower leg. And a Koch type system has no such 25% divide.
You mean a chest crusher? Who cares? It would be totally insane to use something like that for towing - especially given US weak link failure rates.
Other systems have a single webbing loop to attach the bottom leg and yet others have a simple webbing belt arrangement.
The only common denominator is where the tow forces go, pilot only or pilot plus glider - one or two point.

It's a bit like describing the virtues (or otherwise) of weight shift control by referring to the number of lines your harness has to support you instead of referring to a single hang point.

A small point but at least some sort of accurate continuity would be useful when describing how this stuff works as sometimes the tow launching of hang gliders is in need of all the help it can get.
It's a fuckin' lost cause.
Brad Barkley - 2012/10/22 22:00:18 UTC

There is always the "two point, three point" confusion in every thread of this type.
Beats the crap out of the fights between hang checkers and Aussie Methodists one always gets after someone skips a hook-in check just prior to running off a ramp. On this one at least you have a faction that's got things right.
Maybe the terms "pro tow" and "V bridle" would be clearer?
Fuck the "pro tow" and "V bridle". If you're applying your idiot "pro tow" term to THIS:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/aerotowrelease/8313526097/

please explain to me how that bridle doesn't form a "V".
Mike Like - 2012/10/22 22:29:26 UTC

I'm glad I'm not the only one to notice this confusion. :)

V-Bridle is actually not too bad and fairly descriptive as long as it's followed by "It means you tow from both the pilot AND the glider".
No, you tow from the pilot's TWO shoulders. And those move independently - especially after you've been a little off on your flare timing for want of one of Mitch's landing clinics.
Pro-tow on the other hand is no more than a 'bastard' made up term...
Made up, not surprisingly, by bastards.
...that has no meaning other than to suggest you either have to tow for a living...
Invariably because you're intellectually overextended at that level.
...or be part of some pimp syndicate.
The Flight Park Mafia - to be specific.
For the first twenty years the terms used for the two flavours of towing caused little or no confusion.
But with each passing year the sport gets stupider and stupider as the original innovators die out and are replaced by total vegetables who wolf down whatever shit is fed to them because of its long track record.
Diev Hart - 2012/10/23 03:43:46 UTC
I also could have done better at the attempt. I feel terrible about the outcome that I was a significant part in creating, however gracious PJ has been. I can guarantee it will make me a better instructor - I owe PJ that much at least....
Thanks Mitch, that was what I wanted to hear...
Yeah, Diev. You're pretty easy to please.
...sorry this went bad on you to, never a good feeling.
It seem we all got to learn from this...
Careful how you use the term "we". Even on The Jack Show there are several individuals who aren't that stupid.
...THANKS AGAIN PJ for sharing.
Yeah PJ. And thank you so much for the noble sacrifice you made which will enable the rest of us to become better pilots. It's almost impossible to start getting a simple point across to people unless someone has just smashed his face into the takeoff strip.
James Dean - 2012/10/23 10:57:44 UTC
Chattanooga

Paul - thanks for sharing your experience. I truly believe that stories like this can go a long way toward making all of us safer, better, more self-aware, and more humble pilots.
Don't hold your breath. If something like that were ever gonna happen it would've done so decades ago.
I was there with you and made every mistake that you made except for one: I didn't go first! I'm pretty sure that it would have been my nose in the dirt if you hadn't beaten me to the front of the line!
And YOUR reason for not having used the dolly would have been?
Mitch - I appreciate your having publicly taken ownership for your part in the incident.
Ask him if he submitted a report to USHGA and - in that very unlikely event - what he's gonna do to keep Tim Herr from shredding it before anyone else sees it. Also ask him what happened to the video of the clusterfuck and how come that hasn't been made public in the twenty-six days since impact.
I did not take part in the E.T. experience at all, but it was a close thing. If it hadn't been me taking Paul to the E.R., then I believe it would have been the other way around! After the incident, and after learning how many obvious (to an experienced winch tow pilot/operator at least) potential problems were missed, I couldn't trust your instruction and chose to stick to mountain foot launches.
Tell me what advantage being an experienced winch tow pilot/operator would have in assessing the problems of that tow attempt.
- foot launch
- wind zero or tail
- no possibility for the guy in the glider to abort

And the sonuvabitch will never as long as he lives recognize the last one as a downside - let alone make the slightest effort to remedy it.
I think that your assessment was fair and accurate and it has earned back some of my respect. Thanks.
Didn't do shit for me. But, of course, he'd need about five hundred grand to buy an an ounce of respect from me after his high praise of Rooney a couple of years ago. Anybody who doesn't thoroughly despise that vile little motherfucker I want nothing to do with ever.
Everyone - I have a book on my shelf here called "Towing Aloft" by Dennis Pagen and Bill Bryden.
No shit. The very book that did so much to make Paul's rearranged face possible.
I knew I was going to go try out the E.T. system... I knew it was a ground-based winch... and I knew that it was going to be all kinds of crazy fun and super easy.
Since when did it become easy to run a sixty pound glider up to twenty miles an hour or so on a shallow slope in no wind? You want easy get on a fuckin' cart.
That's ALL I knew. If I had taken the time to actually study this book, ask around, and prepare myself for what I was about to do, there's a good chance that Paul's accident could have been prevented by me - even though I'd never even seen a ground winch before!
- If you had read that crap you'd have found it riddled with typos, oozing with contradictions, total nonsense, and lies and engineered to lull its victims into EXACTLY the false sense of security that precipitated that little disaster.

- You HAVE an AT rating. Put the glider on the fuckin' cart and it's identical to an AT launch. And I have every confidence that anybody with a USHGA AT rating is as qualified as he will ever need to be to handle it - especially someone trained at Lockout Mountain Flight Park.
At the very least, I wouldn't have this feeling of "Oh shit, that was almost me in the hospital!" I feel foolish for not having better prepared myself for attempting a new skill and incredibly fortunate that I was spared a more painful lesson.
Use the goddam cart and eliminate the requirement for skill.
Paul Edwards - 2012/10/23 12:10:57 UTC

Thanks for your input Mitch. Your thoughts definitely add to the discussion.
Mitch doesn't have any actual thoughts. Whenever he needs to make a decision he asks himself, "What would Rooney do?"
Glad to hear that we all learned some things!
If nothing else, that a bridle that splits the tow tension evenly between the pilot and glider is three point.
Mike Lake - 2012/10/25 08:51:58 UTC

Any chance of posting the video PJ?
I'm sure this would be very helpful.
Very helpful to some, very damaging to others.

I never get tired of this one:

0:50
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JR_4jKLqrus

for example.
Paul Edwards - 2012/10/25 12:13:09 UTC

Although I did see it once, I don't have a copy of Mitch's video to post.
So you got to see it ONCE.

- Don't you think:

-- after Mitch's contribution to your little adventure that afternoon that it would've been an appropriate gesture for Mitch to have burned you a copy?

-- it's a bit odd/suspicious that he DIDN'T?

- Any thoughts on why - if Mitch is being so noble with his mea culpa on this - that he's not making this publicly available?

I notice you said:

- I don't have a copy of MITCH'S video to post.

rather than:

- I don't have a copy of THE video to post.

And we all know that Mitch:

- dropped in just long enough to cover as much of his ass as he could, appear noble, and con all the weak minded Jack Show zombies into believing that he's a great guy; and

- will NEVER be back to discuss this any further.
Although I did see it once, I don't have a copy of Mitch's video to post.
You know this smells real fishy, Paul - that sentence tells me you do. If you wanna evolve above the Jack Show, Lookout, Quest, USHGA sewer that you're in then come over here and at least look around a little. If you had done that a couple of months ago and listened I one hundred percent guarantee you that...
Tad Eareckson - 2010/12/14 23:51:17 UTC

I think foot launch towing should be a felony - without a much better excuse than this situation indicated anyway.
...you'd still be breathing symmetrically.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

Quest Air Hang Gliding

Personable and fun...
And a friend to every pilot he meets - including douchebags like Davis, Bobby, Bo, Rooney, and Steve Kroop.
...Dr....
Oh good. Another PhD. Just what hang gliding needed.
...Mitch Shipley excels at flying...
Compared to your average Turkey Vulture he totally sucks - as do we all. And, much as I admire and respect Turkey Vultures, they're only good for two things with respect to hang gliding - showing us where the thermals are and cleaning up our mistakes. People who excel at flying tend to be only half as useful - at best.

This sport is infested with people who excel at flying and whenever I hear of one all kinds of warning lights start flashing.
...and at whatever else he decides to do, too.
What a terrible shame it is that he never decided to learn:
- how to spell bridle and carabiner
- the difference between:
-- angle of attack and pitch attitude
-- a weak link and a release
-- one and two point bridles
- that:
-- there's no such thing as a three point bridle
-- competent tow drivers don't hook up gliders who aren't equipped to release in emergencies
-- a lot of people have been killed because release actuators that were within easy reach weren't
- how to load test a release on the ground
- that when a release fails you ground it - even if people DO have backups and hook knives
- how to design bridles to minimize or eliminate wrap potential
- that:
-- the heaviest gliders need weak links heavier than the lightest gliders
-- two point gliders need heavier weak links than one pointers
- the strengths of "standard" solo and tandem glider and tug weak links
- that:
-- there are FAA regulations which mandate minimum safe weak link ratings
-- putting weak links on both ends of a bridle doesn't double the blow tension
- how to configure weak links such that:
-- the tug and glider and their releases are protected in all circumstances
-- the glider will never end up with the towline as a result of an overload
-- it's impossible for them to weld themselves to tow rings
- that you don't design a tug such that part of it breaks at the same load a light weak link does
- what a hook-in check is
- that:
-- a dolly virtually eliminates the possibility of a blown launch for a halfway competent pilot
-- standup landings cause many thousands times more crashes and injuries than they prevent
-- NOBODY who's attracted to risk flies hang gliders - for very long anyway
- enough history of the sport to know the people who deserve to be treated with respect
- that endorsing a stupid, lying, thieving, scummy little shit like Rooney puts one right at his level
He's been hang gliding since 1987 and competed actively from 1995-2002. He flew more than 100 hours and 1000-2000 cross country miles each of those years, racking up numerous accolades and site records.
On equipment other people developed and while doing absolutely nothing to help fix any of this sport's many lethal problems.
He began flying tandem in 1997 so he could take his sons with him into the sky. He's introduced many others to the joys of hang gliding since...
And I don't recall him ever once making a single comment in the wake of a single towing or failure to hook in disaster since the beginning of his participation in the sport or doing shit to help prevent a rerun. The only reason he's commenting on this one is damage control.
...and is a gifted, empathetic and thorough instructor.
So of course he'd stay up to date on all the best information and developments in the sport. What were his comments on Dr. Trisa Tilletti's article on weak links in the June issue of Hang Gliding?
This overachiever graduated from the United States Naval Academy and completed a 21 year naval career in submarines and submarine related research.
Seems like he's had a few problems understanding that a hang glider needs to move in the opposite direction with respect to the surface to end the mission safely and that overshooting it tends to be a big fucking deal.
He rides dirt bikes, boasts 500 sky-dives and routinely crushes his age group in running and triathlon races.
That WOULD help explain why he never has the time to start reading and figuring out what the fuck he's talking about and doing.
He's also a devoted father who dotes on "his boys."
Family values. How touching. Too bad he doesn't give enough of a rat's ass about other people's boys and girls to help make the changes needed in this sport to reduce the rates at which they get mangled and killed.
Are you surprised that he flies the tow plane, too?
Not in the least. Now ask me just how much of a plus I consider that to be.
I didn't think so.
Right as usual, Quest dudes.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

Mitch Shipley - 2012/10/22 19:04:16 UTC
Quest Air

A classic incident where several things conspired and resulted in a terrible outcome.

It is a tough dance that we do. We engage in a sport that has risk and that is part of the attraction. Too cavalier and you don't survive. If you want the best chance of survival, don't fly. Our buddies/friends/ instructors can, should and do help us, but the cold hard X-Ray table only has room for one. People make poor judgments. I feel I did in PJ's case and I am not the first or last buddy/friend/instructor to do so. I absolutely could have been the one to say no, let's not try this and pushed back more against his enthusiasm. I also could have done better at the attempt. I feel terrible about the outcome that I was a significant part in creating, however gracious PJ has been. I can guarantee it will make me a better instructor - I owe PJ that much at least.

OK, my input. I gotta go fly now.
So why didn't you post anything about this conspiracy and its terrible outcome for over three weeks - and not until you started taking heat about it on The Jack Show? Why was there nothing about it shortly after the fact on The Davis Show - Quest's partner in promotion and sales - on which Invisible Wave Rider was already registered?
People make poor judgments. I feel I did in PJ's case...
Stop right there.
...and I am not the first or last buddy/friend/instructor to do so.
Cop-out.
I absolutely could have been the one to say no, let's not try this and pushed back more against his enthusiasm.
Cop-out.
I can guarantee it will make me a better instructor - I owe PJ that much at least.
You owe PJ, everyone else who flies hang gliders, and the public medical care system the fuckin' video so people can see EXACTLY what was went wrong on this one and make the best analysis of the situation and the factors which contributed to it - foot launch, hook-in check, release actuator placement, weak link configuration, running speed, pitch attitude, tension application, presence or absence of streamers and, if present, what they were doing...

Everybody makes mistakes in this sport. Some of them are made by and primarily affect the guy with the glider. But tons of them are made by people not with the glider - equipment manufacturers, instructors, wire crew, tow drivers - and they tend not to be the ones primarily affected. And when someone's actions have negative consequences for someone else the ethical and proper thing to do is to apologize, provide full disclosure, make available all evidence, stay engaged in the postmortem discussion, answer all questions, and do whatever you can to prevent a rerun.

Someone who does that is worthy of having his slate wiped clean - if, for no other reason, that there aren't a whole lot of us in positions to be casting stones.
OK, my input.
Of poor quality and too little too late.
I gotta go fly now.
No you don't. You need to finish addressing this incident.

NOT ONCE in your response did you address the issues of the justification for foot - versus dolly - launching this tow or why Paul was allowed to hook up with piece of shit Quallaby primary and "backup" releases with which he had no chance whatsoever of aborting the tow.

Paul...
Paul Edwards - 2012/10/17 15:41:42 UTC

Also, the release handle is mounted on the base bar. While launching I had no way of releasing from the tow line.
...itemized the latter issue, you totally ignored it.

You know bloody well how valuable that video would be as an educational tool and it's no accident or oversight that you're sitting on it. I have little doubt that if you'd dropped an unhooked tandem passenger after a mountain launch we'd have been reading about you in lockup while people waited for the card to pass through your digestive tract. As far as I'm concerned there's no ethical difference between the manners of Jon Orders suppressing the evidence of his failures of judgment and procedure and you suppressing yours.

These:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3h1uyn_zTlo

7-14522
http://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5517/14036301121_17849a6a04_o.png

make super marketing tools but that's where their value ends.

There was interest in the video expressed on that thread over two days ago and you haven't addressed it either because you're ignoring it or not continuing to following the thread - and both of those scenarios totally suck.

This is the minimum you needed to do to get your ass out of the line of fire. It's negligence, cop-out, and coverup - and I'm never gonna let you off the hook for it.

Enjoy your flying.