General discussion about the sport of hang gliding
Tad Eareckson

Re: wires

Post by Tad Eareckson »

http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=24544
Another 2mm Racing Wire Failure & Crash
Jason Rogers - 2012/01/18 06:33:16 UTC
Port Macquarie

I hate rules, but do we need a minimum wire thickness in competition?
I love rules. Yes.
At least it would be easier to check than sprogs.
=:)
(never been in competition...)
Good move. One's forced into contact with way too many total assholes in just recreational flying.
Davis Straub 2012/01/18 06:54:48 UTC

We already have just that rule.
12. 3.1. Structural Cables

Minimum diameter of any structural external wire cables is 1.9 mm or 5/64 inches.
Gee Davis, your minimum allowable wire diameter is only 0.9 millimeters over your maximum allowable weak link diameter. Why don't you assholes just knock the wires down to one millimeter to make things real easy for everyone to remember?

Or...

Why don't you assholes make 3/32 the minimum for everybody and remove the incentive to do one more stupid thing in your pecker measuring contests? You already penalize the crap out of anybody responsible enough to fly with wheels and you won't allow built in two point releases into circulation so everybody has to "pro tow" in order to keep a performance point from getting knocked off his glide ratio.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

http://shga.com/forum/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2094
Recent side wire failure
Joe Greblo - 2010/06/11 03:55:46 UTC

Those who witnessed Bill Soderquist's side wire failure at the Andy Jackson Flight Park last week, understand just how important it is to keep your glider well maintained.
http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=17038
CSS Regional Hang Glider Aerobatics Competition - June 5th
Mike Blakely - 2010/06/06 16:12:48 UTC
Monrovia, California

This is what I was told by someone who personally inspected the failed side wire. I specifically asked if the wire slipped from the nico and was told no, that it broke above the nico but underneath the shrink tubing.
That's not a maintenance issue. That's an abuse issue.
I've already had several requests from pilots that want their side wires changed.
WHY did they want them changed? Because they were damaged or because they were "old"?

Pick a (3/32 inch) wire...
- ten years of thermal and aerobatics flying but never abused during setup or breakdown
- one thousand foot sled run on brand new glider but bent at the bottom nico during breakdown

Changing wires on a time schedule is STUPID.
Most hang glider side wires will fail if loaded to over 900 pounds. Some new gliders will fail with less load than that.
- Are the newer gliders themselves failing or are their wires failing?
- If they're using the same wires the wires will fail at the same loads.
- If the gliders are certified they'll take a minimum of about six Gs.
Think of that, 900 pounds...
Why? If the wires are holding to nine hundred pounds a cross spar or leading edge section is gonna blow first.
...IF they're not "race wires"...
- If they ARE race wires why should I worry about idiots blowing them apart doing aerobatics?
- Or, for that matter, anything else?
...WHEN they were new and IF they are in good shape...
- New and old don't have shit to do with anything on 3/32 inch glider wires.
- Abuse is the issue.
Of course it's easy to load a modern intermediate or advanced glider with way more than 900 pounds on one wing, simply by turbulence, or abrupt maneuvers at high speeds.
- I'm having a hard time picturing a glider with a load on one wing appreciably different from the load on the other wing.

- My flying weight is 320 pounds so for me to load one wing to 900 pounds I'd hafta pull 5.6 Gs which - with my normal and mild aerobatics background - is probably twice what I've ever done. So yeah, I'd hafta go a bit out of my way to load a wing to 900.

- A 900 pound wire angling up and out from a control frame corner to a leading edge / cross spar junction OBVIOUSLY doesn't blow when the when that wing is loaded to 900 pounds (the glider is loaded to 1800).

- The airframe is feeling down vector stress primarily at the hang point, insignificantly at the nose and/or tail wires attachments, and I'm guessing only about ten percent at each leading edge / cross spar junction.

- It's physically impossible to blow a 900 pound wire because by that time the Gs will be WELL into double digits and you can't get into double digits 'cause the airframe will have snapped or buckled a long time ago.

- Barring tumbles... Has ANYBODY EVER had a certified glider overloaded by flying in TURBULENCE?

- Yeah, there are lotsa different planes you can break up by doing abrupt maneuvers at high speeds. Solution... DON'T DO abrupt maneuvers at high speeds. And by abrupt and high speeds I mean insanely outside of the scope you'd ever need for anything but deliberate and entirely optional aerobatics.
Performing aerobatics on a hang glider is just one more way to easily over stress not only the side wires, but many other structural components that are not designed for these excessive loads.
Performing aerobatics is THE way to over stress hang gliders - unless you wanna count crashing.
There are some pilots that will push their gliders structural limits, simply by the way they fly. Most of the time, they will get away with it. Sometimes they won't. Are you one of those pilots?
Erik Delf - 2010/06/06 19:10:49 UTC
Southern California

I have the whole thing on video as my wife was filming it from the LZ. I've watched it several times now, and I don't see any pilot error involved. Bill was doing some nice spins prior to this. At the beginning of the pullup for a loop, the glider folded up (apparently/obviously a side wire failure). Then it spun violently and spit him out in just a surreal way. The pullup looked controlled and smooth, nothing unusual at all.
When that wire blew Bill was probably under three Gs and within the loading for which the glider had been intended to handle in the course of flying within the placard limits.
If so, I'm not so sure that good glider maintenance will protect you.
- When a sidewire blows it wasn't a maintenance issue. It was an abuse issue.

- When a spar blows blows it wasn't a maintenance issue. It was either a previous abuse issue involving a rock or a current abuse issue involving blown aerobatics.

- We're SUPPOSED to be following preflight procedures to identify abuse issues.
"Safety in not a word, it's a book."
Michael Robertson
- I've read Mike's book. A lot of its chapters are EXTREMELY thin - and a lot more are missing altogether.

- Bill didn't load test the wires before he flew. If he had - trust me - we'd have heard about it.

- So Joe... How come you're not saying anything about preflight sidewire load testing? And, yeah, you're a Wills Wing dealer. And, no, I don't give a rat's ass that Bill's glider was a Moyes Litespeed.

- Has anyone ever heard of an in flight wire failure - placard or aerobatics - following a preflight load test?
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

http://www.shga.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=3019
Accident Sunday 1/15/12
Sylmar Hang Gliding Association Forum
Safety and Incidents in flight

Joe Greblo - 2012/01/16 18:21:28 UTC

Sadly, Joe Petrosian (Army Joe) was injured when he experienced a side wire failure as he pulled out of a dive over the lz on Sunday afternoon. The glider entered two or three left 360s that he was unable to stop and he crashed into the riverbed where he was assisted by club members until paramedics arrived. Joe was transported to Holy Cross Providence Hospital in Mission Hills where he is at this time of writing.

I'm told that Joe is able to see visitors so I hope many will drop by and see him. More info will follow I'm sure.
-
Safety is a book, not a word
Michael Robertson
- When somebody blows a sidewire in flight what happens next is not an ACCIDENT.

- Six posts in this stupid thread and NOT ONE WORD about the load testing of sidewires in the course of one's preflight routine.

- This is the second sidewire blow you assholes have had in under twenty months.

- Great jobs getting getting your acts cleaned up and the words out on these, guys. I'm really impressed by your tireless dedication to making this sport safer for all of its participants.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

http://www.shga.com/sylmartians.asp
Sylmar Hang Gliding Association

Jrans Petrosian

If you haven't heard "Armie Joe's" story of flight-to-freedom from Iran, ask him. It will help you understand why he flies at supersonic speeds even while making his approach to the LZ; he's never sure that something isn't catching up. But now that Joe feels relatively safe, his main goal is to smile and have fun. We're so glad he made it here.
Something WAS catching up, Joe. But it was the quality of your instruction, the overall incompetence of your little social circles, and your failure to utilize the resources available to you to prevent that from happening - quite possibly including your owner's manual.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

http://ozreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=28605
Mart blows up his glider
Davis Straub - 2012/07/20 13:58:59 UTC

Way beyond maximum rated speed

Laragne-Monteglin, France

I received the following on my smart phone from an apparently Australian phone number:
Mart Bosman broke his Airborne C4 on final glide at the Belgian Nationals here in Laragne on Thursday. He deployed his parachute without a problem. He didn't break any bones, but was in the hospital overnight.

It looks like the crossbar broke. He was overtaking a British pilot flying an ATOS that was doing 115 km/h (71 mph) which is far beyond the design VNE (50 mph) when the glider folded up. The side wires were okay as was the pullback. I haven't checked the VG yet.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

http://ozreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=29325
Limiting flight privileges for safety reasons
Graeme Henderson - 2012/09/26 01:16:52 UTC

We also had a crew of heroes refuse to have their gliders inspected at a club inspection day, they went elsewhere to fly and one of them had a top wire break in flight.
Ya wanna say anything about preflight load testing? Just kidding.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=27684
glider mods sidewire material
Devin Wagner - 2012/12/01 04:41:14 UTC
Yankton, South Dakota

I've been looking for a replacement for SS side wires. Well I found a few.
2 mm Dyneema 12 strand 500 Kilograms = 1102.31131 pound test
Yeah Devin. It holds to 1102.31131 pounds. But you gotta make sure it's a good lot number. With an inferior production run you might only get 1102.31130 pounds.
.5 mm Dyneema for luff lines 100 lb test. It's a quarter the weight of SS cable.
The other is 452x (Dyneema) bow string 16 strands = 1120 test plus you gain a adjustment on the wing by twisting the cable.
You can make a wire just like a bow string - continuous loop with serving at the ends.
2 mm SS line 19 racing wires breaks at 800 lb.
800.00000 pounds.
NMERider - 2012/12/01 05:14:29 UTC

Why? What's wrong w/ funky old 3/32" 1x19 stainless?
What's wrong with the i, t, and h keys on your machine?
Tom Low - 2012/12/01 05:19:23 UTC
Belmont, California

All of these fibers will stretch over time. They also degrade with UV exposure. Yea they're strong, but I'd stick with stainless. It's also tough to terminate the synthetic fibers without compromising their strength.
Ever hear of splicing?
The big advantage of fibers is low weight and bending radius. Neither are of significant importance for sidewires...
Bending radius isn't of significant importance as long as nobody screws up. And people HAVE screwed up on this issue and paid with their lives.
...IMHO.
This is engineering - it has nothing to do with opinions.
Devin Wagner - 2012/12/01 05:24:34 UTC

Jonathan,

It's abrasive, heavy, fatigues easy when bent, gets weaker every flight.
On the last issue... Pure unadulterated BULLSHIT.
On a topless it would take two pounds off the wing weight and on a Sport 2 it may be almost five pounds of total weight plus less drag for both.
Devin Wagner - 2012/12/01 05:40:17 UTC

Tom,
My compound bow string doesn't stretch or the bow would be out of tune all the time.
Plus a loop slice is as easy as it gets.
If you wax them they're 100% UV stable and would still outlast the sail.
Mike Bomstad - 2012/12/01 09:04:53 UTC
Spokane

I honestly hope you are not seriously considering doing this... :?
Why?
Dyneema is not the "other" sidewire.
Because you say so?

Either it's safer and he's made and advance or his wing's five times more likely to fold up and...
Everyone who lives dies, yet not everyone who dies, has lived.
We take these risks not to escape life, but to prevent life escaping us.
...flying becomes a lot more rewarding an experience for him. Either way he comes out ahead.
Andy Long - 2012/12/01 12:47:56 UTC
California

It's a very different set of circumstances because the lower rigging on the Atos isn't integral to the structural integrity of the wing as it is with flex wings but...

There was a time when Felix was considering using very thin Dyneema for all the lower flying "wires" for the Atos. For the usual reason; to cut drag.

After all, the control bar on the Atos is just there so the pilot has something to hang on to. And wiggle from side to side to activate the spoilers.
Jason Boehm - 2012/12/01 15:11:06 UTC
Stapleton, Colorado

If you are worried about weight... go drink a coffee and take a shit.
Maybe he's done that already and still wants a weight reduction.
I have the wires still for my sensor... all up they weigh almost nothing... there is no weight savings of any signifigance.
ANY weight saving on an aircraft is of significance. You put lotsa almost nothings together they start to add up.
Red Howard - 2012/12/01 17:01:25 UTC
Utah

Campers,

+1 on knowing when fibers have lost some of their strength, due to age, UV, kinks, shock loads, etc.
Is anybody gonna say anything about a preflight sidewire load test? Just kidding.
Weight in a HG:

If you build a giant, inflatable HG and fill it full of helium, then you could go up from flat ground, in no wind.

When you pull in, though, nothing would happen. HG comp pilots add ballast, to go someplace fast.
Sailplanes are clean, in terms of drag, but not light. Clean is the way to GO.

When gravity is the engine, then weight becomes power.
Bullshit.

There isn't an aircraft designer on the planet who doesn't bust his ass to make his plane as light as possible and the helium example is totally absurd. If Wills Wing could make five pound hang gliders they could make them smaller and sell them for twenty times as much and they would KICK ASS.

Comp pilots RARELY add ballast 'cause - while it helps them BETWEEN thermals it hurts them IN thermals.

It's a lot easier to ADD ballast than it is to SUBTRACT equipment weight.

When you add ballast to a hang glider you don't add it to the wing where it butchers your control authority. You add it to the harness where it enhances it.

Sailplanes - like everything else - are as light as they can be made. Clean AND light is the way to go.

Weight makes you go faster DOWN as well as forward. And not everyone is all that interested in going forward that much all the time. I'm quite content to hang out over an airport all afternoon long and land within fifty yards of my car.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

Tom Emery - 2012/12/01 17:21:37 UTC
San Diego

Joke?

With all due respect, you aren't serious, are you? Don't get me wrong. There are extremely strong ropes out there. But... there is a reason you don't see them used for side wires.
Is it anything like the reason we don't see built in aerotow releases but DO see backup loops?
I used to rig boats. For most boats, wire is used to keep the mast up. Some racing boats use stainless steel rods.
Boats are out in the elements twenty-four/seven year round and their masts are pretty much permanently rigged. Hang gliders go back in the bag and into the garage after a few hours of exposure per weekend and are re- and de-rigged every cycle.
Paul Hurless - 2012/12/01 23:25:34 UTC
Reno

How well does Dyneema hold up to abrasion?
Who cares? It's a new idea - kill it.

How well:
- does your trailing edge hold up to abrasion?
- do your:
-- cross spars hold up to denting?
-- downtubes hold up to bending?

It's a goddam aircraft. You're supposed to take care of it when it's on the ground and check it before you put it in the air. You're not supposed to drag it over asphalt, rocks, and broken glass then run off a cliff with it and see what happens.
Devin Wagner - 2012/12/02 00:18:37 UTC

It holds up fairly well. It also shows damage were SS won't.
Paul Hurless - 2012/12/02 01:09:26 UTC

How would Dyneema hold up under everyday wear and tear?
How do you think it holds up under everyday wear and tear on the sailboats for which it's intended and primarily used? On sailboats it's used to hoist and trim sails and run around winches and through block and tackle systems and cleated.
You stated that it would show damage that SS wouldn't. What kind of damage are you claiming that SS doesn't show?
If I recall correctly stainless steel cable damage has escaped attention well enough that people have died because they missed it. And I've always found it WAY easier to check a line for damage.
What kind of drag would a dyneema sidewire have?
About the same as stainless of the same diameter.
Would it be more prone to drag producing vibrations/oscillations than a SS wire?
Ever seen anyone flying a stunt kite with low stretch line having problems with vibrations/oscillations?
I think there are more things to consider than just weight when it comes to a very important part of the structural integrity of your wing.
130 pound Greenspot crashes gliders left and right and, when things line up poorly, can kill them just as dead as failed sidewires but you defend their use.
Fletcher - 2012/12/02 01:25:02 UTC

I can't understand why someone is always trying to be a test pilot.
Nobody's trying to be a fucking TEST PILOT - asshole. He's talking about swapping out some material that's brutal overkill with some other material that's about the same.
Gliders are made with SS wires because that's what works RELIABLY!
EXACTLY!!! That's precisely why we all use International Game Fish Association certified 130 pound Cortland Greenspot Dacron Trolling Line for our weak links. It NEVER breaks BEFORE it's overloaded and ALWAYS breaks WHEN it's overloaded. It's absolutely impossible to beat reliability like that!
Seriously, risk your life for two pounds?
- Seriously, I missed the part where he's risking his life.

- Compared to THIS:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7NurwKyyEE

BULLSHIT?!?!?! Run off a fucking cliff without checking because you THINK you're connected to your glider because you THINK you checked a minute or so ago? Risk your life ONLY because you're too fuckin' stupid and lazy to take a second or two to lift the glider six inches to make sure?

We know what kind of record that has but you're one of the untold thousands of bozos who see absolutely nothing wrong with it.
If it ain't broke - don't fix it!!!!!
Ever wonder how much better than four to one our glide ratios would be now if the sport were fully saturated with if-it-ain't-broke-don't-fix-it and Keep-It-Simple-Stupid shitheads like you?
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

Devin Wagner - 2012/12/02 02:07:11 UTC

You can't see fatigue at the swage.
Drag should be the same if not less since diameter is the same or slightly smaller.
3/32 ss cable is 1200 lb test, 2.3 mm normal topless side wire.
2 mm ss racing wire is 800 lb test.
2 mm dyneema 12 strand is 1100 lb test.
Devin Wagner - 2012/12/02 02:41:26 UTC

It's been done before by the guy the designed the Predator and TRX. But he used kevlar that wasn't UV resistant.
As being a test pilot every time you fly a Hg you are one.
Absolute bullshit.
Jatay - 2012/12/02 03:04:01 UTC
California

What model glider is this for?
What possible difference could it make?
Dennis Wood - 2012/12/02 03:09:10 UTC
Suffolk, Virginia
You can't see fatigue at the swage.
yes you can. one more time...paint the ends of the cables at the nicos with a drop of cheap bright nail polish. if any thing moves, the nail polish pops off... just a dab will do ya.
Wanna say anything about the preflight sidewire load test? Just kidding.
as for your idea of side wire mat'l, even the Wright Bros. were able to design a crude wind tunnel to test their ideas. try it with the different options, including the ss, at some different speeds, including top speed and then some that you might encounter. might be able to answer your some of your own questions with a little observation and interpolation.
And then go ahead and slap a Wallaby Release on your downtube - 'cause the drag it generates doesn't matter.
JJ Coté - 2012/12/02 15:34:51 UTC

Idea: make up cables for your glider that are a couple of mm shorter under load than the ones you have now, and add them on in parallel. They'll take the load, and the existing cables will be just barely slack (they may look tight, but by plucking them you'll know that they aren't. Then fly like that for a season, with the steel cables as backups, and see if you run into any unanticipated problems.
What an absurd waste of time and glider performance.
Tom Emery - 2012/12/02 16:32:31 UTC

Side wires

Good idea about the parallel wires.
Yeah. Reminds me a lot of parallel hang loops.
Might be falling on deaf ears.
I really hope so.
Let us know how your rope idea works out. Sounds like your "betting your life" on it... literally.
Yeah? Why? What is it you anticipate going wrong?

If you don't have anything then shut the fuck up. We've got stuff we KNOW *WILL* kill people going up all the time - and I don't hear you speaking up about ANY of it.
Steve Baran - 2012/12/03 22:52:49 UTC
Chattaroy

Haven't seen anyone mention other considerations (important ones) other than strength. What about temperature (both ends of spectrum that might be encountered - accidently or otherwise), pinching forces, ability or resistance to looping and kinking, shock loads (not just static loads), chemical resistance, freeze & thaw, etc.
Ya know sumpin', Steve? Humans have been using ropes starting about the time they climbed down from the trees and in environments like the Kalahari, Tibet, Polynesia, the High Arctic, and Mars. We've got ropes figured out pretty well, we keep making them better, and they're aren't gonna be any surprises in anything a goddam hang glider can survive.
If ya really need something light - paraglider. Otherwise, you can always get lighter and stronger yourself.
Hey Steve... How 'bout shutting the fuck up until after you've had an original idea of your own?
Devin Wagner - 2012/12/03 23:16:20 UTC

Have you ever used FireLine or Spiderwire braided fishing line? It's the same material. How does it hold up for you?
Matt Melvin - 2012/12/03 23:20:00 UTC
Scituate, Massachusetts

Yeah, let's just forget about any more innovation!
No Matt...

http://ozreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=22308
Better mouse trap(release)?
Jim Rooney - 2010/12/18 20:12:54 UTC

I love innovation.
We LOVE innovation. But we just can't afford to risk using anything that doesn't have a long track record.
No way hang gliders can get any better.
Might as well freeze the glider designs at least until...

http://www.chgpa.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3391
More on Zapata and weak link
Paul Tjaden - 2008/07/22 04:32:22 UTC

I have never had a lockout situation happen so quickly and dramatically and had no chance to release as I have always thought I could do.
...we can thaw the release designs out a bit.
What is wrong with you people?
They're all a bunch of brain damaged shitheads who've read...
Towing Aloft - 1998/01

Unfortunately, releases are items that many pilots feel they can make at home or adapt from something they have seen at the hardware store. Two fatalities have occurred in the past 5 years directly related to failures of very poorly constructed and maintained releases. For the sake of safety, only use releases that have been designed and extensively tested by reputable manufacturers.
...WAY too much Pagen and give the most weight to Rooney's opinion due to his keen intellect.
Materials change all the time, ten years from now we may be saying that only a fool would fly with antique style metal wires.
We won't. But that don't make Dyneema a bad idea.
Whether this idea pans out or not it is an interesting idea and JJ offers a reasonable compromise to test it out.
Fuck his compromise. Devin would be perfectly OK slapping on the line and treating it with care comparable to what he does with his wire.
Easy to criticize but I am glad some are willing to try and make advancements.
And merci beaucoup for all the support you gave me three years ago on my release systems when all the Jack Show assholes were pissing all over everything I'd ever done.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

Steve Baran - 2012/12/03 23:32:42 UTC

No, don't even really know much about the stuff. But, I do know that steel has decent chemical resistance along with being able to handle a wide temperature range. It is my guess that nonmetallic materials do not match steel in these areas???
Yeah, Steve, you should probably knit yourself a sail out of stainless steel wool so when you're...
- pouring chemicals on your wires it won't matter if you get some splashing; and
- flying on a hot day you won't have any melting problems.
What I'm mainly concerned about is how FireLine and Spiderwire (F&S for short) last over time and when encountering all those things a glider might go through when in a bag atop a vehicle.
Like what? What happens to it in a bag atop a car that doesn't happen to it when it's used as a main sheet on an ocean race?
How do F&S hold up to pinching forces (such as being caught between a couple of DTs when folding up a glider or during transport)? Are F&S porous? If so what happens when they are wet and then freeze?
Find something REAL to worry about.
It is all that sort of stuff that stainless steel cable has met over time being customer tested that adds to reliability.
When customers test stainless steel cable a little too rigorously it fails and they die. Sometimes in aviation the reliability of the customer is a lot more important than the reliability of a particular material.
I don't think I'd want to use F&S unless it also stood the test of both treatment by the less careful ones of us and went through a lot of in-flight testing.
- See above.
- Flight testing tells you NOTHING. The air isn't the place where cable and line get abused.
Steve Baran - 2012/12/03 23:39:58 UTC

I hope I don't sound critical - at least for being critical sake. But, one must be discerning and think about all those things that wires on a glider can encounter.
Unless they're abused the ONLY thing that wires on a glider can encounter that matters is tension loading.
Change is good unless it comes back to haunt you.
Just like not changing can. And this cult has killed a lot of people because it REFUSES to change any crap that has a long track record.
Think about DDT. It was touted as the cat's meow and then used extensively (and still used in many other countries).
- It wasn't touted as the cat's meow by any responsible biologists. And it's not like some of the downsides - like the extinction of the largest subspecies of Peregrine in the world - weren't pretty fucking obvious long before it was banned in the US.

- These lines have had the hell tested out of them. We know what they'll do - this ain't rocket science.
Something new might look good on paper but not survive the real world test.
Fuck real world tests. On the ground you can test to ten times what could be survived in the air.
Tom Galvin - 2012/12/03 23:54:14 UTC

I don't see stainless steel sidewires being replaced as the default material anytime soon...
And, thanks to assholes like you, I don't see preflight bullshit being replaced by hook-in checks as the default method for preventing unhooked launches.
...but I could see the use of alternate materials for specific design goals. A hike and fly glider being one of them.
So why would Dyneema be acceptable for a glider you hike in but not for one you drive to launch? You planning on establishing a Hike-In Hang Glider Manufacturers Association with reduced airworthiness standards?
Devin Wagner - 2012/12/03 23:54:18 UTC

It's hard to cut with sharp knife so pinching is a non point. Cold and heat within reason, like -30 to 200 F, have no effect. Have yet to find chemical that damages it.
Keep trying. Steve won't be happy until you come up with a reliable solution.
On my fishing rods I get two years out of the line and I leave them in my truck bed in full sun all the time.
Why?
The sun will wreck it but it takes a lot of exposure. Wet is also not an issue. Is your sail an issue when it gets wet?
With water or the sulfuric acid he prefers to use?
JJ Coté - 2012/12/06 04:19:18 UTC

Using synthetic fibers in a recreational flight application? Paragliders do it all the time. And their lines are often in the dirt, and getting wet, and in the snow, and on asphalt, and exposed to UV. I don't hear too many complaints about how the lines don't work, or that they're breaking or anything. Now, sure, they have a lot of redundancy and each line has a comparatively low load on it. But all the concerns about how these fibers might be too delicate seem misplaced.
Seems?
So, would it be safe to try for a HG? My second suggestion would be to use the synthetic to replace the wires in order of increasing loading and importance, seeing how things go, and maybe never getting around to replacing them all:
1) reflex bridles
Reflex bridles were originally 205 leechline. Ever hear of any failures or problems?
2) top rigging
And then take the glider to three Gs negative so that part of the experiment will mean something.
3) front and rear lower wires
Which take absurdly low loads in comparison to what the sidewires see.
4) haulback cables
5) lower side wires
And if you get a few in-flight failures you'll know that it was a bad idea.

What a load of crap. Just do the fuckin' math. If you wanna see if a cable or line is still up to the job then take it off the glider and load test it.
Steve Forslund - 2012/12/06 04:29:38 UTC

Factory Trawlers have long ago given up steel for spectra due to better strength per weight.
Funny... One would think they'd have used polypro - which has a reasonable amount of stretch and can act as a shock absorber and reduce the intensity of the impact load. They really need to get in touch with Russell Brown and Dr. Trisa Tilletti so they can learn how to their job right.
Hell I flew a paraglider today that weighs less then 9 1/2 lbs for wing, harness, reserve, pack and vario. There is a market for lighter simpler hang gliders.
I sure hope they have enough sense to use elastic suspension lines. Without shock absorption, low stretch line acts somewhat like an impact wrench on the canopy.
Jason Boehm - 2012/12/06 04:53:10 UTC

I have seen top rigging on a laminar replaced with PG lines.
Which proves what?
consider though....how many lines are on a PG?.......a rough guess. is 100........and i suspect thats on teh low end

so you are probably seeing 3# per line in 1 gee flight..............NOTHING...

now a HG typically weights about 300# all up, and with the angle of the lines..each line sees about that weight in 1 gee flight..........the loads are 100 times what the PG sees

so while he is seeing virtually nothing in the way of load/stretch....we would see about 100 times that
- Maybe you should get your keyboard fixed so the period key doesn't alternate between staying stuck in the down position in the middles of sentences and not functioning at all at the ends of them.

- Your writing sucks as much as your "thinking" does.

- While you're considering how many lines are used on paragliders don't forget to consider their diameters.

- So you're saying that in straight and level flight flight a sidewire on a three hundred pound glider is feeling about three hundred pounds.

- 3/32 inch wire is rated for under a thousand pounds.

- So tell me how a T2 154 - which is rated to a flying weight up to 360 pounds - can be certified to six Gs. They should be blowing sidewires left and right at the bottoms of normal, well executed loops.

Note...

Way more often than not I clean up the writing of the bozos who post on the Jack and Davis Shows to make it less of a headache to read over here. Devin's posts, for example, wouldn't begin to get him out of a second grade classroom with any kind of standards but I translated to English because he at least had an idea worth listening to. Jason's, on the other hand, deserved to be left as he wrote it.

A couple of comments on the thread - currently up to 41 posts...

NOT ONCE has anyone suggested:
- doing or even mentioned the preflight sidewire load test that's in all the Wills Wing owner's manuals
- periodically pulling a Dyneema side line and testing it to, say, five hundred pounds

In this sport all engineering starts and stops with the glider manufacturer and after that it's all about putting stuff in the air and establishing track records. The science and math is quite consistent with the English.