The Bob Show

General discussion about the sport of hang gliding
Tad Eareckson

Re: The Bob Show

Post by Tad Eareckson »

http://www.ushawks.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=913
Christmas at Torrey (with Little Hawk)
miguel - 2011/12/28 05:01:48 UTC

It needs a abbreviated harness so the pilots can experience control with a tight strap. (not a joke)
It MUST be.

There IS NO control with a tight strap. Once that wing gets up into that turbulent jet stream always lurking just above the level at which the wing is safely clamped down on one's shoulders (irrespective, of course, of his height) it's virtually certain death - even with an adequate wire crew.
Bob Kuczewski - 2011/12/28 19:33:20 UTC

Great observation.
Yeah, pretty much everything anyone left on The Bob Show says is a great observation.
That's been on the back burner for a little while now, and I may start to make a more serious effort.
Now that you've finished making The Bob Show a safe place for people of varying ages.
However, there are safety and convenience reasons for not using a harness in most situations.
What are you trying to run? A nanny state? Just inform everyone of the risks and make everything a matter of personal responsibility. That way when ANYTHING bad happens it's ALWAYS gonna be ENTIRELY HIS FAULT. (Unless it involves Tad. Then EVERYTHING bad that happens is ALWAYS gonna be ENTIRELY *TAD'S* FAULT.)
Remember that Little Hawk is an outreach tool.
Yeah? Has anyone who's ever played with it turned up for a lesson anywhere?
It's designed to allow people to walk up and try it with the fewest barriers.
So they'll get a good taste of what hang gliding is REALLY like.
Putting on a harness can be a turn-off to people and keep them from giving it a try.
And, of course, those are EXACTLY the sorts of people we want to help build a better hang gliding organization.
There are also increased safety problems with having people physically attached to the glider.
Yeah Bob, having people physically attached to gliders is a problem we need to eradicate by whatever means we have available.
Right now I compromise by having people run with the glider without hooking in at all...
So they'll get a good feel for what it's like to launch at Plowshare, Whitwell, or Mingus.
...and then I also have them hang from the glider (hang check style) in a full harness to give them a feeling of comfort and safety.
Good job, Bob!!! Let's get people doing hang checks and feeling comfortable and safe. That way they'll be better prepared for schools like Lookout and Manquin.
That's when I show them how we steer with weight shift.
Might also be a good time to show them how fast they can go when dangling from the basetube.
But I would like to have something in between. I've been thinking of a quick velcro harness (mostly just a few straps) and including a weak link in the suspension (maybe 50 lbs?) in case they get in trouble.
Yep. That's EXACTLY how they should start thinking about a light weak link...
Wallaby Ranch - 1998/02

If you fail to maintain the correct tow position (centered, with the wheels of the tug on the horizon), the weak link will break before you can get into too much trouble.
Something that will always break before they can get into too much trouble.
Any ideas?
Yeah, but you probably don't wanna hear them.
Thanks!! Image
Don't mention it!!
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

http://www.ushawks.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=883
What will keep the US Hawks from becoming another USHPA or HGAA?
Nobody - 2011/12/10 06:26:15 UTC
You will ... hopefully. The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. Everyone has to do their part once in a while. If you see something that's not being done correctly, then it's your duty to speak out. One big difference between the US Hawks and other organizations is that the US Hawks really does honor the free speech of its members.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lie
Bob Kuczewski - 2011/12/28 20:18:03 UTC

Tad was (and is) an unrepentant child molester.
Yeah? Bob's an uneducable idiot and hypocrite.
He expressed no regrets over his homosexual relationship with a 12 year old boy other than that he regretted the consequences of getting caught.
1. Can you quote something, Jim? Sorry - Bob?
2. Nobody "got caught" - asshole.
As the operator...
Dictator For Life...
...of this forum I felt the duty to protect our members...
1. That was SO NOBLE of you to take up the slack of our absolutely hopeless legal system and appoint yourself double jeopardy judge, jury, and executioner.

2. How many of "OUR" fuckin' members asked you to protect them?

3. Getting the kind of overwhelmingly positive feedback...
all the PM's so far have been very supportive and positive, thanks guys!
I worry every time I see my PM notification, and then after I read it, just more and MORE support from everyone thanking me for getting rid of these people.
This community rules and is 100X better without them. THANK YOU ALL for your support. I really appreciate the flood of positive PM's. I expected only the people with an issue to PM and flame me. What a surprise when 100% of the PM's were positive instead
Another morning... another basket of support PM's
Thank you, thank you thank all!
...that Jack did after he decided to ban you and Scott?
...some of whom may not be adults.
1. Many of whom couldn't cheat their ways through third grade English, math, science, or social studies multiple choice tests with guns to their heads if they were told in advance that all the answers were "C".

http://www.ushawks.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=463
Davis Straub's "Oz Report" Conflict of Interest
Bob Kuczewski - 2011/03/09 02:33:49 UTC

This is going to sound cold, but I believe people have a right to make their own choices.
2. What's the reason you're ONLY concerned about protecting people who may not be adults and don't give a rat's ass about anybody who's hit his or her eighteenth birthday? I think you've got something a little weird going on there, Bob.
That's why I ultimately chose to ban Tad from this site.
Yeah. Like you weren't trying to figure out how you were gonna do that anyway after "about a month" at the conclusion of your scientific experiment to see if locking Tad down in The Basement boosted participation in The Bob Show. How's that experiment going anyhow? Lotsa people of varying ages flocking in from all corners of the country now?
However, I am not opposed to his name or his hang gliding ideas being discussed. I am not opposed to links posted to his KiteStrings forum.
Shouldn't each of those links be accompanied by a warning message?
CAUTION! The US Hawks Surgeon General advises that Kite Strings may not be a safe environment for people of varying ages.
I'm just having a REAL HARD TIME understanding why you think it's not OK for me to be on US Hawks but it's OK for US Hawks to send people of varying ages to Kite Strings. Just doesn't seem consistent to me.

http://www.chgpa.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2467
weak links
Jim Rooney - 2007/08/01

Whatever's going on back there, I can fix it by giving you the rope.
It's more of this crappy argument that being on tow is somehow safer than being off tow.
That IS one dangerous motherfucker - no ifs, ands, or buts. He's not coming here and I'm not gonna send ANYONE of ANY varying age anywhere NEAR him, his friends and fellow "professionals", anybody who ever signed him off on anything, or anybody who refuses to condemn him in no uncertain terms - including/especially YOU.
I am not trying to obliterate Tad (as Jack and Davis have done).
None of you assholes has a snowball's chance in hell of obliterating me 'cause the people who can do the math keep getting the same numbers as I do.
Instead, I'm just trying to create a forum where we can build a better national hang gliding association than the one we have.
You screwed that pooch to death already. I wonder how long it'll take you to realize it.
I stand behind my decision with Tad...
I stand behind it too, Bob. You did more damage to yourself than I could've ever hoped to do on my own.
...and I would like to hear how you think this might have been handled differently.
Did you read:

http://www.kitestrings.org/post1019.html#p1019

Zack's post?

How 'bout your own mission statements?
I had hoped for a better solution myself, but I wasn't able to find one.
Neither could Custer on 1876/06/25.
If you have a better solution, then please don't be stingy about sharing it with us.
Nah. I think this is working out REALLY WELL. I wouldn't change a thing.
Thanks.
Oh no... Thank YOU.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=15047
Thank You SG!.
Bob Kuczewski - 2010/01/01 06:08:31 UTC
San Diego

Finally!! A topic where everyone agrees with me!!!

You've done a great thing here SG!!

ImageImageImageImageImage
Is this a great medium or what!
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

http://www.ushawks.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=918
US Hawks; The Hang Gliding Assn.
Terry Mason - 2011/12/30 16:59:30 UTC

May I advance the proposal to the membership that Political issues be discused in the FREE SPEECH zone, as well as personal problems, pschological, raciest, or Religeios, as well as any thing ellse, unrelated to soaring. It has been my experiance that the only time I could tell if a politition was lying was if their mouth was moving. And to expect a Splinter group to influence a national ellection is irrational. We need to attract Pilots of all persuation, Phobice expresions tend to drive away the best, Please do not take this personal, as praCTICALITY is my priority! THANKS, Terry
A bit late for that, don't ya think?
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

http://www.ushawks.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=918
US Hawks; The Hang Gliding Assn.
Bob Kuczewski - 2011/12/30 23:00:52 UTC

Terry is making a sound suggestion to help grow the sport of hang gliding by creating a new national organization dedicated to hang gliding.

I believe that diluting that effort with other causes undermines our ability to do so. So I'd like to see non-hang-gliding topics in the Free Speech Zone. Can anyone make an argument against that? Warren?
Nope, I got nuthin'. Just curious though... At what point did you reach this determination and why?
bobk

Post by bobk »

bobk wrote:Terry is making a sound suggestion to help grow the sport of hang gliding by creating a new national organization dedicated to hang gliding.

I believe that diluting that effort with other causes undermines our ability to do so. So I'd like to see non-hang-gliding topics in the Free Speech Zone. Can anyone make an argument against that? Warren?
Tad Eareckson wrote:Nope, I got nuthin'. Just curious though... At what point did you reach this determination and why?
The "Free Speech Zone" is a sub forum under the "Off Topic Soap Box". It's been that way for a long time because I knew that people would want a place to discuss things other than hang gliding (like Ron Paul, 9/11, and cats). Initially, I was fairly lenient about allowing non-HG topics in the main forum, but I've seen how that can be abused. So I'm trying to keep hang gliding topics in hang gliding and non-HG posts in the "Off Topic Soap Box".

Does that answer your question?
Join a National Hang Gliding Organization: US Hawks at ushawks.org
bobk

Post by bobk »

bobk wrote:You've done a great thing here SG!!
Tad Eareckson wrote:Is this a great medium or what!
When someone does something good, I say they've done something good. When they've done something bad, I say they've done something bad. At that time - as far as I could tell - Jack was providing a place for open discussions. That was good, and I said so.

Similarly, I've praised you when you've been correct, and I've criticized you when you've been incorrect. But just because I've praised you or Jack (at one time or another) doesn't make either of you right for life. When you do something wrong, I'm going to say so ... and I have.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

1. As far as you could tell wasn't good enough. There was tons of glaring evidence that the guy was total piece of shit LONG before you posted that. I needed precisely one exchange with the sonuvabitch to know EXACTLY what I was dealing with. If we had been in the first grade together I'd have had his number before lunchtime on the first day of school. He's a big part of the corrupt machinery that runs this sport, he's got a lot of innocent blood on his hands, and anyone who says ANYTHING positive about him is part of the problem.

2. Hang gliding is aviation. Aviation is numbers and logic. I don't get beat very often on numbers and logic and it's not your place to criticize me on issues having nothing to do with aviation or its relevant numbers and logic.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

Oops. Missed one
Does that answer your question?
Not entirely. Seems like the previous pattern was to take very relevant and solid hang gliding posts and throw them in The Basement and plaster stuff that had absolutely nothing to do with hang gliding all over the general hang gliding subforum.
bobk

Post by bobk »

Tad Eareckson (referring to Jack) wrote:He's a big part of the corrupt machinery that runs this sport, he's got a lot of innocent blood on his hands, and anyone who says ANYTHING positive about him is part of the problem.
You're wrong to say that anyone who says ANYTHING positive about Jack is part of the problem. Jack has done some good things ... just as you have. But Jack has also done some bad things (again, just as you have). What makes you so similar is that neither of you are willing to admit that you've done bad things and apologize for them. It's not true that anyone who recognizes the positive qualities in either of you "is part of the problem". Indeed, it's people who only see black and white that are part of the problem.
Tad Eareckson wrote:Hang gliding is aviation. Aviation is numbers and logic. I don't get beat very often on numbers and logic and it's not your place to criticize me on issues having nothing to do with aviation or its relevant numbers and logic.
Aviation is human beings taking flight. Our particular form of aviation is human beings taking flight for the sheer joy of taking flight. You can't remove that aspect of hang gliding from the discussion of its regulation. But if you want to talk numbers and logic, then start by explaining the laws of physics in terms of differential equations and not your simple 2+2=4 "logic" if you want my respect. Go ahead and explain the first quarter of Newtonian physics for us and see how far you get. We'll let you work your way up to the Navier-Stokes equations.