General discussion about the sport of hang gliding
Tad Eareckson

Re: Quotes

Post by Tad Eareckson »

http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=26007
THE CODE AMONGST ALL PILOTS
Manta_Dreaming - 2012/05/04 23:37:23 UTC

Mountains always have the right of way.

If you've never forgotten anything in your life, you don't need to do a hook-in check.
Zack C
Site Admin

Post by Zack C »

An exchange in our local club...I had to bite my tongue.
A wrote:The club will work a lot better if we all focus on contributing what we can and not criticizing others for not contributing what they can't or couldn't. This is usually called professionalism. The rules are simple
1. Positive input, including well-intentioned criticism and questions, are welcome from everyone.
2. Anyone who puts pen to paper (on this forum or anywhere else) needs to be prepared to defend their position.
The best-supported arguments will win the day.
B wrote:Point no 2 seems to me a bit harsh.

Let's just indulge one anothers' hubris, grandstanding, and moronic opinions.

Charity is called for among friends.
A wrote: ,

you are absolutely right. As it stands, I agree it is too harsh a requirement. Requires the addition of point 3 below

3. Anyone who does not defend their position is either grandstanding or a moron and can be charitably ignored.
MikeLake

Post by MikeLake »

http://ozreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=28336
Cross Wind Landing: wing banked?
Jim Rooney - 2012/07/02 15:15:59 UTC

As much as I like Pagen, you'd be surprised how often I'm left trying to remove ideas that he's directly or inadvertently put in people's heads.
This often is just a symptom of if you write enough stuff and enough people read it, someone is going to interpret it wrong, or your going to get it wrong when you write it... or things may have changed since you wrote it... and he's been writing a very long time.

That said... a short way I put it is... I don't take Denis's word as gospel. Just cuz he said it doesn't mean I believe it.
Pot, Kettle
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

Note that both of those sainted serial killing assholes are amongst the untold thousands of aerotow professionals and experts who are fine enough with last month's installment of The Lisa and Tracy Show to offer no hint of disagreement.

Rooney's a total vegetable, Pagen's smart enough to be able to dissect and explain the dynamics of a lockout and politely tell Hewett that he's clueless on his understanding of the phenomenon. But beyond that...

I remember back around 1991 when I was bugging Dennis to sign me off on my Four (and he was giving me some bullshit about how that should be the call of a "local" instructor) him saying something about how our goal in hang gliding should be to earn the respect of our peers and me getting a very slight feeling that there was something a bit off with that statement. But now that I fully understand what a slimeball he is and what a sewer this sport has been for most of its history...

If you want to maximize the respect of your "peers" you latch onto the corrupt Quallaby / Lookout caliber centers of power and tell the rank and file the same bullshit they're being taught by those motherfuckers, the messages that everybody wants to hear - you appeal to their boundless stupidity.

Towards the other end of the scale you've got your Doug Hildreth - who was always looking at the big picture, figuring out what was wrong with it, and forever pushing to get its many deadly problems fixed. Nobody ever listened to him, cared one way or the other about him, or remembers who he was.

If you want to do ANYTHING to fix the problems and implement the solutions Doug was so good at identifying, you need to go to war against scumbags like Pagen and Rooney who have the respect of their peers. And that doesn't make you popular - that gets you marginalized and ostracized.

P.S. Note that if you hopped in the time machine and set it early enough to get Rooney's mom to understand that an abortion Thursday morning was in everybody's best interest and then dropped by to shoot Dennis in the back of the head, hang gliding would look - at worst - EXACTLY the way it does today.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

http://www.kitestrings.org/post2417.html#p2417
miguel - 2012/07/11 19:36:21 UTC

Yes, you can cherrypick countless bad foot landings. People post them because they are exciting and get hits. There are infinitesimally more good foot landings that are made safely every day.
miguel

Post by miguel »

Words of Wisdom
Jack from hg.org wrote:That can fail as well. I know a guy who lifted his wing on launch, felt the tug on his harness and launched.

Flew around a bit, and realized he was hanging from his pod's limiter line, and thats it. Wasnt really hooked in. Came in and landed quickly.

Very lucky.
http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=26557
Failure to hook in 6/29/12
2012/07/13 01:34:50 UTC
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

http://ozreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13132
Unhooked Death Again - Change our Methods Now?
JBBenson - 2009/01/25 16:27:19 UTC

I get what Tad is saying, but it took some translation:

HANG CHECK is part of the preflight, to verify that all the harness lines etc. are straight.

HOOK-IN CHECK is to verify connection to the glider five seconds before takeoff.

They are separate actions, neither interchangeable nor meant to replace one another. They are not two ways to do the same thing.
miguel

Post by miguel »

Tad wrote:You have too many "m"s in "cummies". This forum should be an appropriate place for people of varying ages to visit. Please be more careful in the future.
Mr. Kettle, I would like you to meet Mr. Pot :D
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

It was a shot at the motherfucker who banned me from The Bob Show. You can talk about cummies a poppin' all you want. Just don't ever make the mistake of referring to a weak link as the focal point of a safe towing system.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

Lisa Colletti - 2012/06

We want our weak links to break as early as possible in lockout situations, but be strong and reliable enough to avoid frequent weak link breaks from turbulence. It is the same expectation of performance that we have for the weak links we use for towing sailplanes.