Tow Mystery

General discussion about the sport of hang gliding
Zack C
Site Admin

Re: Tow Mystery

Post by Zack C »

There goes my only good rational explanation for the Bridle Link issue.
It does appear to have gotten wrapped around the base tube (as visible at 2:35)...not sure if that alone could've broken the floss. But regardless, it appears to have broken well before the strength stitching, so is it really a problem other than having to restitch it?
So now can I say that the bottom end of my bridle cleared the tow ring under high tension no problem?
You've got the same evidence as me, but that does appear to be the case.
Can't tell. Would guess nylon. Pull on it. If it stretches it's nylon. If it is it's not that big a deal but it shouldn't be.
Well, it's not like a bungee or anything...it seems to have some slight give, but so does my leech line.
You could've used a rubber band as a reasonably good patch for that configuration.
I forgot to ask you about that...can you elaborate?
Why not? Everybody else has.
Because knowing me the balloonist I arrange this with will turn out to be an FAA agent and I'll be permanently banned from all forms of aviation, fined for all the money I was saving to buy a rigid, locked up for a month, fired from my job because I now have a criminal record, and unable to find employment the rest of my life because no one wants to hire a thug.

Zack
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

It does appear to have gotten wrapped around the base tube...
Yeah, I noticed that. And from underneath the basetube running forward and up. I gave up trying to figure that one out too.
...but so does my leech line.
No problem then.
I forgot to ask you about that...can you elaborate?
You could've just wrapped your fingers and the loop with the rubber band such that you couldn't shake the loop loose. That sure ain't the best way to do it bet it would've worked. Hopefully you'll soon be using nothing but Joe's releases with the Monkey's Fist - which IS about the best way to do it - and that will no longer be an issue.

Thought anyway...

The Lookout Release sounds like it's gonna require a lot more pull at max weak link than may be a good idea to try to deliver with just a line running between your fingers to a little button. But you could run a line from the loop between your fingers and to a little button so you wouldn't lose the loop but could still deliver the pull.
...and unable to find employment the rest of my life because no one wants to hire a thug.
Yeah, probably. It's amazing how many regulations Rooney and the Flight Park Mafia can violate and how many gliders they can get away with crashing - and who does the FAA bust? John Heiney 'cause he gets a little outside of the corridor doing an aerobatics performance at an air show.
Steve Davy

Post by Steve Davy »

Is there a good reason scooter tow instructors don't use a launch dolly? Maybe some do but I have never seen or heard of it.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

Most of them have "arrangements" with orthopedic surgery practices.