birds

General discussion about the sport of hang gliding
Tad Eareckson

Re: birds

Post by Tad Eareckson »

Got one major to-do item crossed off on the tour.

038-05009
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3689/13745951103_e238b1804a_o.png
075-05116
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7601/16221429884_3d3118758b_o.png

Those shrubs making Bob Buxton's situation on 2012/10/03 a bit more dismal...

When we cruised through zillions of miles of Mojave Desert two winters ago that's all there was lining the roadsides. They drove me nuts 'cause if you concentrated on one as you closed you'd invariably see a sparrow sized bird perched out at a branch extremity. And it would invariably morph back into the clump of leaves it always had been as the range further decreased and the angle started changing quickly.

And I didn't know what they were or how to go about finding out. But I knew Chris would be good for it in a fraction of a second. Creosote Bush - Larrea tridentata.

And I'd been briefed on it by the leader of the Christmas Count group at Red Rock Canyon State Park on the morning of 2017/12/30...

http://www.kitestrings.org/post10805.html#p10805

...but I hadn't gotten wired enough to ID it beyond that session.

Real interesting plant. It's so effective at sucking the little water out of the soil that becomes available in that habitat that nothing else can compete with it. And it grows as a "clonal colony" (see the Wikipedia article) and the age of the oldest one of those - the King Clone - has been estimated to be 11.7 thousand years.

Dead center:

http://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49558947713_1cbbb6f2f2_o.png
34°25'13.60" N 116°42'17.13" W - 4664 feet - 3030 feet MSL

Creosote Rings Preserve (California Department of Fish and Game). 38.7 miles ENE of Andy Jackson. (Jonathan's probably landed near it.)

Check out the other rings in the vicinity - and note the WNW-ESE alignments.

And speaking of water - and lack thereof issues...

I'd been really thrilled to see the Whooping Cranes in the Aransas area. Then a couple days later someone asked me if I'd seen any kids. Lightbulb, heart sinks. No. Eleven adults, zero kids - not an indication of great recent breeding success.

That evening I'm looking on the web and finding out about how upstream agriculture - corn, soybeans - sucks up all the water, deprives the estuary of the fresh flow, trashes the ecosystem. Cranes starve and die. Lawsuit. I don't know how the battle's going now.

So we can have food cheap enough to be able to toss forty percent of it into the garbage.

You go through these areas and lots of them are pretty amazing but you really wonder what they must've been like prior to 1492. (There's a display a display on Tower of the Americas observation deck with a photo of the last Jaguar shot in Texas - Eighteen Something or Other. Nice job guys.)

Tuesday I had a midday thing to attend at Saint John's College in Annapolis and used it as an excuse to hit the Chesapeake Bay Foundation with the scope afterwards.

Got my first Eagle in it since the 2020/01/05 Annapolis Christmas Count. The Lower Rio Grande is right at the edge of the bird's wintering range and is totally absent from the eight currently available reports.

By a nest about 250 yards south of where I was parked on the deck. There was a state women's federation meeting breaking up at the time and I got a small appreciative line.

Also had gone out to the end of their dock and scanned the Bay - Surf Scoters, Bufflehead, Long-Tailed. But no Swans, Widgeon, Goldeneye, Canvasback, Scaup... Hope they're doing well somewhere else.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

At the end of last week I started noticing a bit of discomfort in the dental department and found Number 13 (top - left second bicuspid) was decidedly loose and otherwise problematic. Wednesday morning took the Baltimore Light Rail up to the University of Maryland School of Dentistry and returned without it. (By the time I got out of the building the anesthetic had worn off and life wasn't much fun for a while but after a few Scotch mouthwash applications, the first of a week's worth of Amoxicillin, an Aleve, and my first meal of the day I started doing not bad - save for exhaustion.)

My supervising doc was one Ramsay Koury. Turns out he's a major bird freak and has been to all the same places I have - Asa Wright in Trinidad, Aransas, Lower Rio Grande in particular. We both knew we had to break things off or nothing would've been accomplished on that wing for the morning.

Heading back on the Rail around noon... Cars pretty thinly populated, I'm on the starboard/west side checking out the mergansers (not Hooded, probably Red-Breasted) in a wetlands area near the north end of the trip and notice a pair of my fellow travelers behind and across from me doing birds (and soon lotsa Whitetails) on their side. I relocated and joined in.

Years back I was coming back on that trip in the late afternoon and noticed a duck coming in from the port side low and real fast. Goddam, that's not a duck! That's a fuckin' PEREGRINE! (This is only about a mile and a quarter SSW of where my kids grew up last season. (Just checked the webcam for the first time this season and an adult appeared within a minute or two. (There's an unattended egg but I'm pretty sure it's the dud from last season.))) The car was reasonably well filled and I was able to announce the sighting a second and a half before the bird disappeared low to the southwest. Everyone was pretty interested.

Another time during fall migration and a station stop there's a male Kestrel in great light on a wire close to the side. Pointed him out to the schoolkid in front of me on her way home ("Wanna see a little falcon?") and she totally lit up. Told me about the (very probable) Redtail she'd recently seen at her school.

Recently realized that I substantially screwed the pooch on my selection of the 85 millimeter objective element for the scope - primarily as a consequence of thinking with my binocular wired brain.

With a binocular - generally speaking - you don't want more than eight or ten power 'cause of field of view, weight, stability issues. And you don't see birders going beyond ten - even with the stabilized option.

The three Swarovski objective millimeter options are 65 - 85 - 95. The zoom range for the lighter two is 25-60, the heavy is 30-70. And that minimum higher power figure was scaring me off. But last week I reviewed and went into a little more depth on the arithmetic.

I'm pretty much always using the 85 at minimum zoom and I'm pretty happy with its performance. But the 95 has 125 percent of the front end glass area of the 85's and as soon as you start zooming in a wee bit the 95 starts totally kicking the 85's ass (assuming it wasn't to begin with). And I set up and practiced zooming back and forth between 25 and 30 and the difference is pretty negligible.

And binoculars are virtually always handheld and frequently used on close moving targets and scopes are ALWAYS tripod mounted and used pretty much exclusively on stationary and distant moving targets. So power on the latter isn't anything like the disadvantage it pretty much always is on the former.

Currently and seriously looking at a used 95 on eBay.

Meanwhile, back in Texas...

2020/01/23, first night in San Antonio. I was thinking about Zack and checked out his apartment on Google Earth. And then early morning - still dark - when I light up the TV the news is all about this horrendous explosion in Houston. Oh shit, did I just kill him? No, a bit over thirteen miles to the SSW. Bet he would've been able to hear it though.

Just checked out follow-up reports. Propylene gas and it sounds like the operation, Watson Grinding and Manufacturing, probably permanently extinct now, was being run with really shoddy safety practices. But now that we've finally been able to Make America Great Again let's not have no Big Government wading in, telling people how to do their jobs, enforcing laws and regulations.
---
P.S. - 2020/02/29 19:15:00 UTC

I suspect I'm far from being the only bird person to have gone for the 85 over the 95 for the same and wrong reason(s).

All of us are heavily wired with binocular experience and that's gotta predispose us to be shy of power.

From my first birding trip with a scope - and a substantial understanding and awareness of scope issues - a year and a half ago I have yet to see a 95 in the wild (or anywhere else). (That's Alaska, Costa Rica, South Texas.)

I'd mentioned that in Costa Rica at Palo Verde I crossed paths with a pair of (Costa Rican) guides who were packing a setup identical to mine save for the head (Swarovski DH101 versus PTH) and they made the point that when you're getting paid to lead a group you owe them the best possible views of the birds they've traveled thousands of miles to see. No argument there whatsoever.

But I'm now fairly certain that the 95 was what we should've been using.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

http://ozreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=62029
Australia Rain
Doug Marley - 2020/02/13 14:54:28 UTC

Oh, go hug a tree. Go hug a kanga. Then go hug a wallaby. You and Chicken-Little are best buds, aren'tchya?

There has been drastic environmental changes throughout the earth's history. We are experiencing the most minimal changes within human-kind's existence. Nothing remains the same for very long. By the way, forest fires are good for the environment. It's nature's way of making new, stronger growths. Merely because you liked the pristine, green forests does not mean that they should remain that way. Real natural conservationists have finally learned that fire helps renew old forests. Everything must die at some point. But you are afraid of death, so you fight against everything that causes death in some way, even your own species. Too bad you forget or disregard the earth's history. It's filled with death, destruction and renewal. We all are merely living in a time where humans have not experienced environmental and human turmoil as in the relatively recent past. Please, educate yourself and stop your chicken-little hysterical squawking.

It'd probably be a good thing for you to limit your exposure to the msm BS. It's all money-driven to make the gullible so aggravated that they become absorbed into the narrative and most of all, the advertisements. It's all about selling you something, whether you want it or not.
Real natural conservationists have finally learned that fire helps renew old forests.
Yeah, the REAL natural conservationists have FINALLY learned that fire helps renew old forests.

After everyone else - all the individuals who WEREN'T real natural conservationists had spent decades trying to get them to understand that - to look at the evidence, start listening to the fake natural conservationists, see what was actually going on. Better late than never, I always say. And if you think I'm just blowing this outta my ass then go to:

http://www.realnaturalconservationists.org

for a really great presentation on what a great environmental boon what's happening in Australia actually is.

And if you still think this is a total load o' crap then just do some image searches to show how much healthier these Australian old growth forests are now that the healing fires have finally burnt away all the invasive understory crap threatening and choking the mature trees that thrived for untold millennia before we started fucking things up with all our misbegotten fire suppression strategies.

The true environmentalists get this and if you don't believe me then just try to book an ecotour slot for any of the relevant areas for anything prior to 2023.

Ya know one really great key to revealing how totally full o' shit your total douchebag side of the equation is? When Swift publishes total lunatic numbers like:

http://ozreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=60132
Best Plan to Save Sport of Hang Gliding
Swift - 2019/07/23 01:03:37 UTC

But again, what is the point if our .06% contribution of the .04% CO2 atmospheric makeup is going to end life on earth as we know it in less than 12 years?

.06% of .04% is .0024% of the CO2 in the atmosphere.
nobody from your camp calls him on it.

He even asks in the next sentence:
Is this correct?
And still no response. Hell, correct enough for you and your ilk.

P.S. motherfucker... When are you gonna show us some photos, numbers showing all us assholes just how much better things got a couple years down the road?

P.P.S...
You and Chicken-Little are best buds, aren'tchya?
Chicken Little?

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/skysailingtowing/message/7067
AT SOPs - proposed revisions
Subj: Re: [Tow] AT SOPs - proposed revisions
Date: 2009/05/10 02:08:52 UTC
To: skysailingtowing@yahoogroups.com
cc: GreggLudwig@aol.com, lisa@lisatateglass.com

Supportive comments from aerotow experts along with convincing data can make a difference. Otherwise, it may seem as if your perception of "the sky is falling" may not be shared by most others who have a wealth of experience and who are deeply involved in aerotowing in the US.
Anybody wanna make a case now, over a decade later, that the sky ISN'T falling on the sport of hang gliding on a global scale? And do please note the permanent extinction of Cloud 9 of Webberville, Highland Aerosports of Ridgely, one hundred percent of the personnel involved in the operations.

P.P.P.S. And the last time there was a public mention of the Infallible 130 pound Greenspot Standard Aerotow Weak Link?
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

Reporting here on the off chance that a Kite Strings reader might not have been following the updates I've been posting at:

Swarovski ATX spotting scope system

I did score my eBay target:

Swarovski Optik ATX/STX/BTX 95mm Objective

2020/03/03 06:19:31 UTC and took it off the FedEx driver's hands half past 2020/03/07 - 12:13 local.

You'll be able to see the listing for a while by:
- Advanced Search
- Completed listings
- Swarovski Optik ATX/STX/BTX 95mm Objective
- See original listing

There were only two other bidders - both of them the kinds of idiots who place bids with more than about half a dozen seconds to go. My damages were:

1291.00 - Winning Bid
0035.00 - FedEx
0077.46 - Maryland state tax
0014.99 - Auction Sniper (max charge) - four seconds
1418.45 - Total

I was prepared for $1602.89 counting the shipping - but not the state tax which came as a nasty surprise. This was the earlier/first edition of the hardware and part of me was hoping I'd be outbid. Current delivered new in the box from B&H - $2059.00. And there's a way to beat the tax.
utahtimpanogos

Swarovski ATX/STX 95mm Objective. Condition is used. I am the original owner. This objective has never been dropped or damaged. It has been used frequently, but it is in excellent condition. The 95mm objective is spectacular. I have never found anything that compares. Yet, at nearly four pounds by itself, it is simply too heavy for how I use it. I will miss this piece dearly, but I will always remember to good times. Feel free to ask questions. Shipping costs include carrier costs, additional insurance, shipping supplies, and expert packaging of this beauty.
Had a bit of a correspondence after the sale.

The only difference that matters any is that Swarovski introduced it with their Swarovski Standard Foot and then bailed to the Arca-Swiss standard - which is DEFINITELY the way to go. But with the equipment I have now - which is exactly the same equipment I'd select tomorrow if money were no obstacle - the substantive difference is zilch.

And if I'd gone with a new one I'd have been kicking myself for having blown $640 on a foot (with a price difference between the 85 and 95 Objectives of three hundred bucks less than that). And used 95 Objectives on eBay come up a bit more often than hens' teeth. The timing on this one was divinely inspired. And everything on this baby is as pristine as it would be after three or four careful field setups.

I actually wasn't tuned into the Model/Foot issue until about the twentieth time I'd scrolled through Utah's photos and Number 6 finally registered. Sure glad I did finally catch it 'cause otherwise I'd have been majorly pissed at myself twenty minutes after extraction from the box.

Spent a lot of time playing with this new toy within a fifteen yard radius of the front steps. Set up the 95 ATX side by side with the 85 STX (Angled and Straight ocular modules) and checked out various targets. Pretty much exactly what one would expect, predict and if you had to pick one to purchase new it would be hard to go wrong flipping a coin. The ideal two person air travel birding trip would have both setups in the luggage.

On 2020/03/08 / 95 Day Two this:

http://www.manfrottospares.com/
D1108138 - Scroll Lock Knob

component of my Gitzo Swarovski label "Professional Tripod Head" sheared in half during normal operation. Total crap. Yeah Swarovski, it's a Gitzo product but you put your name on it (while jacking up the price considerably). Good news... I learned a new trick and engineered a rather excellent Plan B solution. Baddish news... The replacement and spare I got in a shade over a week are, of course, identical - save for an irrelevant cosmetic issue. But I've learned how to baby the piece and make things way easier, faster, more efficient for both of us to boot.

2020/03/12 afternoon when it was overcast, cold, dreary I took a short spin back to my first Mercury Transit observation point to do some actual birds in an actual field situation. Was willing to settle for Canada Geese but it looked like the migrants had all migrated and some distant locals parked out of sight on audio were the best I could do on that score. But I had a couple Turkey Vultures parked on the cell tower I pretended were Condors to start me out. Then a smattering of airborne TVs.

Then an adult Eagle approached from the north / primary direction I'd been viewing up no more than two or three hundred feet. Was able to hit and stay on him/her pretty easily, zoom in full to seventy, see clear detail (since there was no turbulence).

Afternoon of 2020/03/24 was able to get back to Chesapeake Bay Foundation and do some serious distance test driving. Wind was light enough, air was stable, lighting was good.

The immediate area was deafening with Ospreys - they have platforms up everywhere you look. My Eagle was gone and had been replaced by an Osprey. And there was a goddam Canada Goose incubating on a platform at the top of a fifteen foot pole. Rather incongruous looking. A couple Fish Crows standing by hoping she'd move.

The Bay was still/again loaded with Surf Scoters - and about the same density of Buffleheads. But also Horned Grebes - shifting into breeding plumage - an a few pockets of Lesser Scaup.

I could watch Turkey Vultures soaring the shore of Kent Island across the Bay - over five and a third miles to the East. Swung NE to the high points of the Bay Bridge spans a bit farther out. Peregrines nest under the road surface and they can be seen parked on the high points on occasion (so I've been told). If there'd been one available I'd have been able to ID it. Shifted South and found a crane whose barge was well below the horizon.

And way the hell out on the surface at the edge of my capabilities I was pretty sure I had a pod of dolphins - which would've been Bottlenose. The motion looked like dolphin but I couldn't quite get a good enough shape to swear that I wasn't seeing something from the Anatid department being bounced in the waves. And when I got back home and checked I found - to little surprise - that Dolphins aren't supposed to show up here until we've gotten into this month.

I'm sure I wouldn't have been much worse off with the 85 but that exercise was a good excuse for all the glass and power one could get.

I've spent about a billion hours on my scope article since returning from Texas two months plus a week ago. Lotsa moments it seems like a sickening waste of time but I'm now confident that it's the best reference on the issues on the planet - the way Kite Strings itself is with respect to our special little aviation disaster area - and I've been surprised to find that it's established a significant web footprint with respect to the industry and culture. Lotsa information and explanations that one will find nowhere else. And this exercise was about the only way I'd have been able to gain the understandings I have.

2020/03/26 21:59:38 UTC I got a notification from Field Guides that our trip list was up:

http://fieldguides.com/bird-tours/texas-rarities/
Texas Birding Tour with FIELD GUIDES: Rio Grande Valley

Photos of the first and last Roadrunner to provide me with a satisfactory viewing experience, the Pauraque I was able to hand to the group, the Great Horned Owl we DIDN'T kill with the tour van, the Scissor-Tailed Flycatcher for which me made the massive detour, the Sprague's Pipit and Morelet's Seedeater on which I'd regrettably opted out.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

Another test drive at Chesapeake Bay Foundation this afternoon. We're supposed to be keeping ourselves locked in at home save for necessary excursions. But there's an exercise loophole and I figured I could make a pretty good case that lugging all that optical gear out to the end of the dock and back should qualify as exercise. Didn't have to though.

The gate was open, no signs. A couple cars around were the only signs of human life at the facility until another one showed up and parked while I was gearing up. Exchanged hellos at a range of twenty yards.

Mild temperature, dreary overcast, moderate wind. Turbulence wiped out my long range capability - combination of mechanical surface and temperature differential maybe. Still Scoters and Bufflehead - maybe a bit thinner. One lousy Grebe, no Scaup, no alleged Dolphins.

Two dead Kennedys - ages 41 and 8 - about seven and two thirds miles downstream yesterday. They found the canoe.

I almost bought it at age 15 in November of '68 when I flipped my kayak (no skirt) surfing swells off of Bay Ridge in the mouth of the Severn. I could stand up even way out there, was pulling the boat back in not terribly worried. Water wasn't cold but the wind was on a wet head and I eventually realized I wasn't gonna make it back to shore - that I was going to die with boats going by unaware of my presence and situation.

Finally got the attention of some kids who'd come down to the shore and a little dinghy with a tiny outboard came out. Hooked an arm over the bow, got taken in and put in a hot shower for about a half hour until the uncontrollable shaking stopped.

P.S. My neck - after about thirteen and a half months - appears to be healing.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

I've been following my Baltimore Inner Harbor Peregrines...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDzgu0ihW8g

...again this season. I'd started checking over the winter (a bit surprised to see that the webcam was active) and saw the adults. (I think I had both birds together to confirm.) Faded dead egg was still intact where we last saw it last year near the SE (far left) corner.

Caught Mom when she started incubating and the three kids shortly after they hatched out. When they were developed a bit a fourth egg appeared but it obviously wasn't gonna go anywhere.

The meals come in frequently enough and it's always a bit sad - even if they're non native Rock Doves (city pigeons) - 'cause you know that at least somebody just died and at worst there's a nest of kids that are gonna die (hopefully by crows rather than starvation, exposure). Recently noticed scattered Flicker primaries - they're still blowing around and easily identifiable.

If the kids are unattended - as they're gonna be nine times out of ten at this stage - I often nudge the cursor back down the timeline until I pick up an adult.

On my most recent check there was something unusual being converted to Peregrine biomass - long dark tail. Scrolled back to the delivery - a bit after 2020/05/04 18:45:00 UTC - and shortly afterwards got a pretty good shot. I'm virtually certain it was a Cooper's Hawk. Brown / First year plumage, probably a male (smaller and less dangerous).

I posted about it on the chat - first time I've ever done anything like that. Last season you could go back to find out what was going on. This year it appears that everything gets vaporized after an hour or whatever. There's never any history worth mentioning.

Both dead eggs have been moved around - currently together near the NW corner.

Demolishing a Rock Dove at 2020/05/04 19:25:00 UTC. Wow, that was quick.
---
2020/05/04 22:00:00 UTC - P.S.

May the Fourth be with you.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

Wednesday (two days ago) at 16:00 EDT I emerged from the car for a groceries mission, heard a familiar but noteworthy call, looked up to see a Killdeer come straight overhead at maybe eighty feet while passing from NW to SE. They're ground nesters, consider the flat roofs of shopping mall buildings to be ground, did really well for decades at the Annapolis Mall. You were always happy to hear them but never considered it to be a BFD.

But then after more and more pavement, overpopulation, environmental degradation... It's been decades since I've gotten them in the haunts that could earlier be taken for granted. Even vanished from my Kent County Christmas Count territory. I was DELIGHTED to see them on the Texas trip - first at Estero Llano Grande pre Group.

I had just earlier this week started driving around eBird a bit. I'd been thinking about going down to my Red-Headed Woodpecker turf for another shot but then my brain started kicking in. Didn't need to burn fossil fuel with no other justification. If they were there then they'd be there on eBird. They weren't - big surprise - but they WERE scattered a bit thinly around the region.

Then I started checking out other old friends I wonder and worry about - Bobwhite, Woodcock, Kestrel, Cattle Egret, Bobolink... Good news - lotsa stuff still around. Bad news - the numbers are moving in the wrong direction.

On the other hand I was totally stunned by the Raven sightings. They blanketed the region and I'm sure that in fairly recent times they were restricted to the Appalachian ranges. And I've never bagged one myself in this area and they're pretty hard to miss if airborne and/or talking. (My first bird upon getting out of the airport at Nome.)

So yesterday armed with something worth reporting I went in to figure out how to report something. I'd gotten the precise time and had intended to get the precise coordinates before rolling home. Didn't but was able to get my parking space off of Google Earth. And now:

http://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49978301161_4e6b7952e4_o.png

The red marker in the center is my first eBird bird. If you click on it it says:

Waugh Chapel Towne Centre
Anne Arundel, US-MD
2020-05-20 - 1 - Tad Eareckson

It stays red for thirty days after the sighting. The next closest one geographically is also the next closest one chronologically and that's 2017/10/06 (Sam Miller) so I'm feeling a little smug.

You need to be registered and logged in for this level of access but it don't cost nuthin' and it's a really incredible tool. And to get here from Home:

Explore
Species Map
Type in species - and it throws up suggestions as you go.
Zoom and slide.

Also in that screen shot in the upper right corner you can see the powerline cut running SE to NW. Head SE and you first get to last year's Red-Headed Woodpeckers and then to my Anne Arundel County Christmas Count territory.

Here at home I'm pretty happy to be having Catbirds again for the first time in a decade or two. Pretty hard to miss when they're around and defending territory.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

http://www.kitestrings.org/post7087.html#p7087

http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=32112
Yet another PPG harrassing wildlife

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPcVWh9hccE

Was checking old posts for format, typos, broken links. He got busted and convicted for that one but:
- The flight had something of a legitimate purpose and this wasn't anything he does all the fuckin' time.
- He:
-- says he made a mistake.
-- responds to the criticism and abuse he got and raises some really good points.
-- has left the video up.

It's still tough for me to watch that number of big animals get stampeded but let's bear in mind that the individuals are no longer being stampeded once he's flown past them. Stress time for any individual is pretty short.

I stampeded a pretty substantial gathering of White-Tails 1993/10/03 landing - having to land at that point - at the end of a McConnellsburg ridge flight in a mountainside clear-cut. Not deliberate, not as many deer, but the stress on the individual wasn't a lot less.

Two Lower Kent County Christmas Counts ago I spooked two or three thousand Canada Geese up out of their field from behind a treeline while carefully and quietly getting out of the car for a better vantage point.

This isn't a Dell Schanze total psychopath singling out a Barn Owl, harassing it in conjunction with an accomplice possibly to death, giving it a farewell kick to demonstrate to the planet what a superior individual he is.

If I'd have been on a jury I'd have probably let him off with a parking ticket level penalty. Or if what he got were the only penalty option I'd have gone with not guilty.

Wanna read the original Jack Show thread?
You are not authorised to read this forum.
My red eBird Killdeer flag should be turning blue very shortly but subsequent to my report one Sam Miller has lit up the near vicinity with three more - two singles and quad.
---
Kevin Christopherson - 2015

The point was to show the game and fish the shear number of animals in this small area (we sent them the video first). An out of state rancher has locked up a large portion of land and has created a private hunting reserve. There were over 3,000 elk in this valley and the numbers increase every year and eventually crowding like this could lead to problems that many of us that love elk are worried about (starvation, brucellosis, chronic wasting disease, etc.). I am also an archery hunter and have a hard time with the hypocrisy that it is evil to make an animal run when filming it, but noble to buy a $50 license and hammer into a panicked herd with a shoulder cannon! I was born and raised in Wyoming and have seen things that were perfectly legal that makes me sick. Hunters lined up shooting at truly panicked elk that have their tongues hanging out from running for their lives for miles.

Due to the huge number of elk on these private reserves, the game and fish have been forced to open the gun hunting season earlier and keep them open later each year. In my area the gun season for cow elk starts in mid August and runs through January! Talk about elk harassment.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

http://earthsky.org/earth/wild-hummingbirds-see-colors-humans-can-only-imagine
Hummingbirds see colors we can only imagine | Earth | EarthSky
Deborah Byrd - 2020/06/23
To other hummingbirds, this male's magenta throat feathers likely appear as an ultraviolet+purple combination color. Image via David Inouye (U. of Maryland-College Park)/ Princeton University.
David Inouye, who is affiliated with the University of Maryland and the center where the study took place, added:
The colors that we see in the fields of wildflowers at our study site, the wildflower capital of Colorado, are stunning to us, but just imagine what those flowers look like to birds with that extra sensory dimension.
This article got circulated through a few local bird buddies right after it was published. Hummer's a Broad-Tail, flower's an Indian Paintbrush.

David Inouye is (very probably WAS) a glider person whom I met at the 1992 Labor Day weekend Hyner fly-in. Also flew with him a couple seasons later at Woodstock. Article's quite interesting.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

Been doing some housekeeping on early Kite Strings posts and stumbled upon:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-8oVEo8ybA

Pretty crappy quality - shot 2004/10/02, low rez and frame rate, handheld - but still one of the rare examples of an approach being done right. I'd noticed the birds scrapping with the glider but didn't give them a lot of thought. Upon this review however:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCFVJSqugfw
4-1420

came to mind and I thought yeah, probably also Pied Butcherbirds. And it didn't take me too long to see flashes of white coming from the bandits. (Helps a lot if you can load the video into Final Cut, blow things up, go frame by frame.)

The original collection consisted of just seventeen shots from late on downwind to glider stopped but now it's precisely three times that, includes a lot of descent, optimized for interactions with the birds. I think by 34-11412 we have three of them on the glider.

Thought I was gonna get lucky with 12-03508 and 13-03509 but I think that bird is neither involved nor near the right flavor. I'm getting a bit of pink off the breast. Maybe a Galah (cockatoo)?

This is supposed to be Moriarty (with TWO "r"s) Park in Canungra. I can't match it real well on Google Earth but it was near a dozen years before the imagery and I can't see it being anywhere else. Pretty sure the camera's shooting from 28°01'07.44" S 153°09'31.24" E. About 150 yards worth of runway to play with.

The bird trying to down the tandem is pretty precisely sixty miles to the SSE at Lennox Head:
28°48'00.19" S 153°35'45.38" E.

This chunk of the collection runs from 01-00110 - the beginning - to 40-12812 - turning onto final.

The original purpose - approach and landing - is at:

http://www.kitestrings.org/post6044.html#p6044
2014/05/26 01:10:35 UTC

and runs from 32-11208 to the end at 51-14300 (eight frames of overlap).

01-00110
- 01 - chronological order
- -0 - minutes
- 01 - seconds
- 10 - frame (15 fps)

01-00110 - 02-00602
ImageImage
03-01611 - 04-01809
ImageImage
05-02102 - 06-02402
ImageImage
07-02606 - 08-02710