birds

General discussion about the sport of hang gliding
Tad Eareckson

Re: birds

Post by Tad Eareckson »

So got back on schedule and fairly uneventfully Tuesday night. Have been recovering; working on reconstructing, understanding movements, sightings, experiences; fighting a crippling cold bug that bottomed me out yesterday; thinking about how to deal with this write-up.

My Staphylococcus aureus issue seems to have turned a corner at maybe 2019/12/04. And I'd gotten a recommendation for Chlorhexidine Gluconate which I started 2019/12/06. Can't really tell if it's helping but it sure doesn't seem to be hurting. Prior to this window the infection had been fairly crippling and I was afraid I'd be majorly trashed for the trip. Since then it's gone down to intermittent annoyance status.

But on the afternoon of 2019/12/14 (during the Army-Navy game) HM went out back to refill the feeders, slipped on some mud, went down like a ton of bricks, made it back inside with great difficulty and effort. At that point I thought the trip was gonna be toast.

Seems to have just been some major bruising but that catalyzed some back issues and he was pretty much total wheelchair material before the trip's end.

Me... For the trip I was in the best physical shape I've seen for at least a decade (ignoring the aforementioned neck issue anyway).

- My left wrist continued steadily recovering at a fair clip. It's back to at least 99 percent now.

- A side-effect of all that experimentation and practice I'd done with tripod assembly setup and breakdown was aerobic exercise and I was really OK on endurance issues.

- I'd mentioned my temporary paralysis issue back at:

http://www.kitestrings.org/post8358.html#p8358

There wasn't the slightest trace of it kicking in at any point during the trip. I deployed the Walkstool I think only once but just for a comfort issue and shortly afterwards stopped packing it for foot excursions. (Had a little numbness start kicking in at the Safeway however on Thursday - Day 2 back home. Maybe the return plane trip didn't do me any good.)

2020/01/07

BWI to HOU to - in rapidly fading light - HRL. At Harlingen rented a car and rolled to motel in Weslaco.

2020/01/08

After substantial morning recovery time hit a couple little parks in town on a rather gray day.

Valley Nature Center

There's something really close and loud which does an excellent job of keeping an adequate degree of dense foliage between us. Eventually get a clean shot at a US Great Kiskadee. OK, got the call down. And there'll be tons more before the trip's through.

Chachalacas. Anything but shy.

A pond loaded with Red-Eared Sliders, my first ever anywhere in-the-wild Soft-Shell Turtles, probable Mud Turtles.

Frontera Audubon

The wind's cranking and the place is totally engulfed with wintering Turkey Vultures. They're swirling low and close, landing, taking off. It's incredibly beautiful to watch but I shortly afterwards hear that local radio tower guys aren't overly enthralled with them.

Throughout the trip I'm surprised by how few and far between are Black Vultures. We're lousy with them here and they're the more southerly inclined of the two but nevertheless...

2020/01/09

We can still use a little downtime and, in the morning, I wanna kill a couple to-do birds with one stone in the morning.

Shortly before the trip I found that I needed to adjust the legs-spreading resistance of one of the three on my "Swarovski" (Gitzo) tripod - needed to be cranked up a bit to keep it from falling away from parallel during the setup operation. And that required two Torx 25 bits. (I had two with me but had to pull them from sets and that sorta thing makes me break out in a rash.)

And I'd run outta time to get a haircut the day before departure.

So about three quarters of a mile north of Frontera Audubon there's an Ace Hardware and Rick's Barbershop. And I start getting the impression that average Joes and Josephines in modern culture think birders are cool. They're interested in what you're doing and have questions about stuff they're seeing. At the second stop "Yeah, those are Chachalacas."

Then three crowflight miles SE to ELG - Estero Llano (pronounced "Yanno") Grande State Park - originally a Ducks Unlimited engineering project.

Sunny but - bad news - a wind advisory day.

There's a nice Visitor Center with a covered deck overlooking a big pond. You can set up a scope and stay there forever without getting too bored. It would almost be easier to list the stuff we DIDN'T see.

From the deck some of the treats... Wilson's Snipe, Vermillion Flycatcher, Anhinga, Shoveler, Snowy Egret. A Harrier (brown) keeps sailing around and terrorizing everybody - but I don't know how these birds survive 'cause never once in my life can I recall any one of them actually catching anything.

The wind's SE and pretty ferocious. The facility has a public use scope set up on the deck and it gets blown over. (Don't think it was damaged any though.)

I head out to see what's going on in some of the other ponds and areas.

Someone in the vicinity of:

26°07'37.39" N 097°57'10.38" W

points out the shop Pauraques. They're nightjars (Whippoorwills, Nighthawks, Potoos), nocturnal, hide out during the day exquisitely camouflaged in plain sight.

The setting is right off the trail, open forest floor, some brush arranged at the side of the trail to provide a bit of barrier.

The first one blows me away. Totally unobstructed, I'm damn near leaning over it, yet at first I mistake the tail for a section of branch / small diameter log with lichen growing on it. The second another five or ten yards up the trail I find on my own. Reinforces my hypothesis that camouflaged critters don't seek/utilize cover in which to hide. They want to be clearly seen but mistaken for some useless common landscape issue.

And in front of Pauraque One I had to point out the Rose-Bellied Lizard on one of the barrier branches in full sunlight. A few of those at ELG and Santa Ana but no other lizards or snakes for the trip. (I'd so hoped to score a Carolina Anole.)
---
2020/02/17

This is a shot of pretty much exactly what I saw with Pauraque One:

http://fieldguides.com/images_hero/rgr-Pauraque-TEXAS-USA.jpg

by Chris Benesh from the 2019/01/12-18 trip. It may even be the exact same individual in the exact same location off the trail.
---
Made it around to the top of the levee overlooking Llano Grande Lake. Wind up there was pretty intense and I had to be careful securing bags as I was setting up the scope. Also had to be careful with the scope. Enjoying a fair bit o' protection below... White Pelicans, Spoonbills, Stilts, Avocets.

Blow for lunch back under a mile and a half up the road, return for Round 2.

Screech Owls are nesting in a decaying building several minutes walk from the Visitor Center. I get a description and get to the right place but don't think it matches the description. So I wander the area and stumble upon a couple of staffer/volunteer types at a woodlands feeder station where some nice birds are coming in. One of the guys says he'll take me to the Owls.

After things break up he takes me back to the building I'd passed up and starts to describe the position - which, from where we're standing, is the far high corner of the East face. I start to hand him my laser, he refuses it and rebukes me a bit - explaining that lasers on owls is a no-no. And I'm thinking - "Yeah? Got some data to back that up? Or are you just assuming that these nocturnal birds are extra prone to being freaked out?"

The Owl (one of the Owls?) is surveying the area from his cavity - no-brainer to locate him.

So after we break up I sneak back to the scene of the crime and run a test. I certainly don't wanna significantly disturb/stress any wildlife but...

It's a 200 milliwatt laser and pretty bright. I start it at ground level and fairly slowly bring it up the wall below the Owl. When I get to a foot below him he looks down at it for a couple seconds then goes back to normal sentry configuration.

Half an hour later I repeat the experiment and he doesn't even bother to look down. Yeah, I kinda figured.

2020/01/10

Day is overcast, gray. Wind is horrendous. After the previous day's wind advisory I'd been thinking it would hafta go the other way. Back to ELG to continue checking things out.

Broke for lunch at The Soup Doctors - five miles to the NW. Four guys at the next table - local fishers/hunters. I eavesdropped on their conversation for a while then joined in. Clicked pretty well discussing regional wildlife issues.

Back to ELG. I wanted to give the scope a real shock test. Hiked back out to the top of the levee at:

26°07'25.29" N 097°57'07.02" W

I swear the wind was sustaining at fifty. Same crowd of birds sheltering below as the day before.

Had to keep a hand on the tripod at all times. Pointing straight into the SE wind the scope was steadily rapidly vibrating - and turning crosswind sure didn't improve the situation. And on top of that my body was swaying - so even if the scope had been mounted in concrete... In those circumstances my Canon 10x42 stabilized binoculars totally kicked the scope's ass.

Coming back down on the lee side of the levee I had a foraging Armadillo coming straight toward me. Either didn't see me or didn't care. That was my first ever - and, so far, last. I'd expected it to be the first of a fair many.

Further back toward the Visitor Center I picked up the first of many trip White-Tailed Kites.

2020/01/11

In the evening the 2020/01/11-17 "South Texas Rarities" birding tour group will form up back at Harlingen. So we'll hafta pack up and check out from Weslaco, dump the rental car back at Harlingen, check in for two nights at the local Holiday Inn Express, rendezvous for our first group dinner.

Finally some pleasant civilized weather, do another stop at ELG - short, under an hour, stay at the observation deck. Then East to settle in, reorganize, gear up...
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

2020/01/11

So Saturday evening the group forms at Holiday Inn Express, Harlingen.

Chris Benesh from Tucson leads.
Tina Rose - 2019/12/10 21:12:37 UTC

We are also happy to announce that as Field Guides is always on the look-out for prospective new guides, and after receiving recommendations from some of our participants who met Mandy Talpas as a local guide, we've decided we just need to see for ourselves! As a result, Mandy Talpas will be joining us on this tour.

She is interested in working with Field Guides and we decided this would be an ideal tour to get to know her. Mandy is a Jersey Girl transplanted to Hawaii! She cut her birding teeth growing up in Pennsylvania and New Jersey. She graduated from East Stroudsberg University with a Bachelor's of Science in Environmental Studies and went to graduate school at Villanova University. Mandy has worked in conservation efforts throughout the US, and even a three-month stint in Peru, before landing in Hawaii where she is currently leading tours.

We're excited to have Mandy join this tour and trust you'll have a wonderful time with this new addition.
Translation: You seven clients will be subsidizing the ride of a prospective Field Guides guide. But don't worry. This makes the guide to client ratio 3.5 to one so your experience will obviously be twice as good.

(She's probably under half the age of the next youngest participant.)

And Mark from Toronto, the two of us from here, Kathy from Adamstown, Maryland (1.65 miles NW of THE Sport Flight training hill (Lily Pons) at which I first flew my first glider (Comet 165) on 1982/02/21), Carey and Ruth from Fort Myers, Jim from Corrales.

2020/01/12

The van has four rows of seats
- driver and shotgun (obviously)
- three more rows which could hold up to three individuals

Chris is always gonna drive and he divides the rest of us into three groups (Anis, Becards, Chachalacas (ABC)). Through each of the six (five and a half actually) birding days there will be a rotation in which the groups get first, second, last choice of seating positions. (I forget how or if Mandy went into the equation - but it should've been last every time.)

So obviously shotgun is the top choice:
- visibility second only to the driver (who can aim the vehicle wherever he wants
- comfort, space, ease and speed of entry and exit

And obviously left rear totally sucks:
- crap visibility
- worst for communications with the lead guide
- a real bitch for boarding and exiting - ya tend to hafta be first in and last out

There's always gonna be a conflict for shotgun 'cause a groups always gonna consist of two to three members. And a POLITE person is always gonna select the smallest piece of cake when the plate comes around. So this strategy encourages and rewards negative social behavior and I decide immediately I'm not gonna play this bullshit game and will ALWAYS select left rear. And I'm also gonna run an experiment for he duration of the trip to see if the group or anyone in it notices what I'm doing and figures out why. (And I already know what the results will be.)

Our first major stop is Resaca De La Palma State Park. They have feeders up at the Visitor Center and the place is swarming with cool birds.

There's a small army of Turkeys around the building. I remind Chris to speak softly as these are extremely wary birds - as we're close to literally tripping over them as we make our way around the sidewalk.

The feeders were bringing in tons of Green Jays - really spectacular. But that bird was nearly it for trip corvids. Chihuahuan Ravens are in range but only one or two folk in the group got a quick glimpse at a pair from the speeding van.

Chris takes us around the area and starts describing the position of a target up in the branches. I hand him my laser and tell him to hold onto it.

"Are you sure?" "Yeah. I packed nine of these things so - worst case scenario - everyone who wanted a loaner could have one." "Really? Thanks!" These are 200 milliwatt jobs running off of 18650 rechargeable Lithium batteries.

He apparently had a laser but neglected to pack it for the day's outing. Returned mine the next morning and started using his (which was rated a fraction of mine but kicked out a beam almost indistinguishable).

The more people you have armed with lasers the more efficient, successful you'll be at getting people birds. And you're also stressing birds LESS 'cause the intruders are in and back out faster. Period.

Mark and Kathy also take me up on my loaner offer for the duration - but I don't think either of them ever came into play.

Chris is also packing a scope - I think that's virtually mandatory for any trip leader. It's a Swarovski ATX 65 - min focus 2.1 meters - with a light traditional head and light carbon tripod and he carries everything assembled and extended. Extended - that is - such that the shortest individual in the group can get a comfortable look. So when he's taking a group down a trail in an area with substantial cover he can quickly lock onto a target and make sure everybody gets a quick but solid look.

Mandy is packing nothing beyond her binoculars.

I'm packing my Swarovski ATX 85 - min focus 3.6 meters - with a really serious heavy head and heavy carbon tripod. I carry - and need to - the scope assembly in a backpack and the tripod/head assembly in a case slung over a shoulder.

UNASSISTED - as one can pretty much count on being in a birding group - I can unload, set up, lock and focus on target in a fair bit under two minutes. And I can break down, pack and harness back up in under a minute and a half.

Chris is light infantry, I'm heavy artillery. BOTH have their place. When we're moving through the scrub it's gonna be all 65. When we have a high value target and/or are at a target rich platform or position the long line's gonna be behind the 85.

Mark is the only other individual packing a scope but he has a pinched nerve issue along the lines of what I'd been dealing with and it doesn't appear very often - at all when a significant walk is involved - and I don't recall it getting significant use by other individuals.

I think it's here at Resaca De La Palma that Chris gathers the group to give a brief on use of his scope system - focus, zoom, tilt, pan. Everyone presses in and listens attentively for the relevant minute.

This is what I'd wanted to do early in the trip when the time was right. Please let me clean glass in the unlikely event any needs it, same focus and zoom, please return it to zoomed out if you've zoomed in and finish, pan and tilt resistance, this is the clamping knob - don't try to adjust anything with it 'cause you can drop the scope... And if there'd been anyone really interested I could've gone on for as many hours as he or she liked.

We start rolling for the west end of Texas 100 / Ocean Boulevard to head out to South Padre. I ask Chris when he's gonna get us our first Shrike. "Eleven minutes." That ends up being accurate to about plus or minus fifteen seconds. South Texas is LOADED with them - not to mention Kestrels. Started getting hard to find a span of wire WITHOUT one or the other on it.

I score a very light Buteo looking bird which merits a stop. Krider's Redtail subspecies / color phase. Only one of the trip. And tons of White-Tails and Harris.

We pull off on the south side of the road at 26°05'30.22" N 097°19'39.03" W. The area is National Wildlife Refuge turf and there's a pair of Aplomado Falcons on their nesting platform at 26°05'20.06" N 097°19'30.73" W. (Zoom in and you can see the platform, its shadow, the service track to it.)

Scope range from closest public access point is 360 yards and there's a substantial thermal turbulence issue but they're still fairly easily identifiable. I also pick up another falcon, airborne, which Chris IDs as a Merlin - the only one of the trip.

A bit later nothing's going on, people are standing around talking, I figure now's a good time for a quick Tad's Swarovski 85 scope system (the one they pretty much all just used for the Aplomados) orientation and ask for a moment of their attention. The bulk of them behave as if they're deaf and I don't exist, one or two others (not including Chris and Mandy) press the roundup, I do the eight second version. (Thanks bigtime for your time and attention, folk. Now please move back to your earlier positions and fuck yourselves.)

On to South Padre for lunch at the Painted Marlin where we can dine on the deck and scan the sky and Laguna Madre for Spoonbills and Brown Pelicans then up to the South Padre Island Birding And Nature Center.

That place is pretty cool. Boardwalks through nice wetlands area, they sell little paper bags of something that brings birds in fast and frenzied.

Some Hispanic nine-year-old comes up to me all excited about having the (male Belted) Kingfisher overhead nearby on a wire. I ask him if he'd like a much better look. "Thanks but I don't do well with scopes."

A bit later there's a Yellow-Crowned Night Heron close in. Bit of a tough shot 'cause I've gotta get over the rail with the tripod set low and angle down but I get it and have him sharply focused and nearly filling the field of view. Kid's mom holds him up and - paydirt - he suddenly lights up like a Christmas tree.

Lotsa oohs and ahs from other casual types using my toy on other targets.

About seven hundred crowflight yards to the north just beyond the Convention Center there's a publicly accessible expanse of tidal flats. Wet sand, drive anything right on in. Loaded. Laughing Gulls, Terns, Skimmers, waders, a big raft of Redheads not far out...

We start rolling back inland via the southerly route - Texas 48 / Brownsville - Port Isabel Highway. Stop at the Jaime J. Zapata Memorial Boat Ramp. One lousy Oystercatcher which the two of us both miss. Stilt, Avocet, Black-Bellied Plover, Turnstone, Long-Billed Dowitcher, Forster's Tern...

It's about at this point that I start getting an appreciation of how modern serious birding really works. Chris's iPhone pings and he instantly has intelligence on a Fork-Tailed Flycatcher a bit over forty crowflight miles to the WNW. A dozen seconds later he's in contact with on-site humans.

I don't say anything as an alteration of plans is being contemplated but I'm less than thrilled 'cause Plan A was to hit an evening pre-roost concentration of parrots much closer by in Brownsville at Joe & Tony Oliveira Park and I'd been looking forward to that one.

The Flycatcher is a real cool bird and way the hell out of its normalish range but we've seen tons of them in the savannah areas of Belize and I feel real queasy about burning all that gas for this one ounce (literally) potential contribution to our species. But - as Chris points out - the title of the tour IS "South Texas RARITIES" so... And he has another parrot scene we can do back in Harlingen on the way back to the hotel. So...

I'm still thinking that this is gonna be a total bust but as we're closing on:

26°14'39.10" N 097°52'37.40" W

there appears a small parking lot's worth of birder vehicles on the north side of the road and...

He's on the powerlines, will hold position for a while, relocate farther out or closer in. After a while he came in and landed real close in the plowed field. I kept the scope on him pretty much constantly for anyone who wanted a(nother) look.

Earlier, shortly after discovery, he'd been landing on the road and people were real afraid he was gonna get killed.

We leave him safe and in good health and roll for a decent display of Red-Crowned Parrots at:

26°12'50.40" N 097°41'36.96" W

in failing light. Then dinner, hotel...

P.S. A little after noon today (still 2020/02/03 here at Eastern Standard) HM gets back from a morning medical appointment. Seems a less than stellar job was done checking him out following that 2019/12/14 slip and fall. For the past month and a half - short story - he's been hobbling around with fractures on both sides of his right ankle. I was wincing and squirming throughout the extensive damage report.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

2020/01/13

Somewhere around this point in the tour, I'm virtually certain it was the evening before, Chris pulls me aside and politely, diplomatically informs me that "The Group" had a expressed a concern that I seemed to frequently lag three or four minutes behind when everyone else was ready to roll.

Couple thoughts that came quickly to mind...

- The "GROUP". Wanna hear a few of my thoughts on "GROUPS"? How much time ya got?

- Oh. So all eight members who weren't Tad had this meeting about the Tad Problem.

-- And The Group had determined that Tad wouldn't be permitted to comment or vote on anything.

-- But not one of these motherfuckers had ever had five seconds to lift a finger to help Tad with the gear they'd all been quite happy to take advantage of.

He suggests that leaving everything assembled and unbagged - the way he does with his configuration - would help.

- My stuff's heavy. And it's likely to get banged up and bang up other stuff if that becomes SOP.

- To date we haven't ventured more than five yards from the van for any 85 relevant action. And when we do - no, I'm not carrying the heavy artillery on my shoulder with one hand while birding with my Canon 10x42s with the other. My configuration is gonna be (see above) binocular harnessed, scope assembly in the backpack, tripod assembly slung over my shoulder in its quiver.

I got spoiled by Xavier on my first scope expedition in Alaska. He knew and appreciated what I was bringing to and doing for the group, looked to see when I could use and/or really needed some help, learned how to handle and deal with my equipment. At the end of every scope stop the two of us worked and performed a bit like an Indy 500 pit crew - as a TEAM - and everything got broken down and safely stowed in a flash. And ditto at the beginning - Xavier on the tripod, me on the glass.

I decided right then to run an experiment that was already in progress. Bet myself a thousand bucks that not once in the course of the trip would any of these motherfuckers lift a finger to give me the slightest degree of assistance with anything.

Chris was pretty much off the hook 'cause he was dealing with his own system. HM was massively crippled. Mark had his own scope rig and some physical issues which merited him a total pass. Jim (a former windsurfing junkie) seemed a bit frail. But we still have Mandy, Kathy, Carey, Ruth - ESPECIALLY the first half of that subgroup.

Neglected to mention that four group members were packing Canon stabilized glasses - 10x42s on Mark, Tad, Cary and 10x32s on Jim. Chris had us line up for a photo at the beginning of the trip.

First stop is the Harlingen Reservoir on the south side of town. Ring-Necked Ducks and Black-Bellied Whistling-Ducks.

Next down to University of Texas Rio Grande Valley. If a stop has been published I've checked it out reasonably thoroughly on Google Earth, checked websites when relevant, punched coordinates into the Garmin. On this one I know nothing until we're there. I think we're just gonna do some binocular stuff in the trees and brush for twenty minutes then go on to something major like ELG. So the (best) scope stays and gets locked up in the back of the van.

And after a walk of a couple three minutes we're on a footbridge crossing a resaca (oxbow lake formation from the Rio Grande) which is the center of the campus...

25°53'42.08" N 097°29'13.58" W

...and it's fuckin' LOADED. And I'm kicking myself.

And it just now as I'm writing this occurs to me that if Chris had really been doing his job right he would've said, "You wanna bring your scope for this one, Tad." Not to mention Mandy.

Eight birders (HM was never able to make anything any distance from the vehicle), one 65 millimeter scope. Mark's wasn't out there either. Someone could've carried it for him. And our targets were up to five hundred yards out.

So was Chris deliberately NOT doing his job right? Maybe even subconsciously? I'm getting the feeling that tour guide culture ain't all that crazy about group members having scopes. Dilutes their power and sends something of a message that one might be able to have a pretty good experience minus a professional guide.

Again, the wording from the Naturalist Journeys trip prep info:
ALASKA
Clothing and Gear Recommendations
EQUIPMENT AND MISCELLANEOUS

Spotting scope (optional). Guides will have a scope to share, but feel free to bring your own.
As opposed to:
Spotting scope. Each guide will have a scope to share, but we strongly encourage clients to acquire and bring scopes of their own. More scopes:
- more, better, faster sightings and identifications
- better overall group and individual experiences
Least and Pied-Billed Grebes, Anhingas, Neotropic and Double Crested Cormorants, White Ibis, Red-Shoulder, Belted and Green Kingfisher...

About straight south of Harlingen on the north side of US 281 we get a quick of a tight cluster of about eight Cattle Egrets. We'd get another single later in the trip but that would be it for this bird for this trip. I'd assumed we'd have tons. Not much in the way of cattle either.

Mandy's home is Oahu. I'd enjoyed seeing the birds on that and the Big Island and was thinking they'd become established by being blown in on a storm or maybe catching rides on ships. Nah. They were deliberately introduced in '59 for reasons and with consequences similar to the deal with the Javan Mongoose.

They DID however make it from Africa to South America on their own late in the Eighteenth Century so I should be allowed to enjoy seeing the Western Hemisphere continental birds.

In the area of:

26°03'58.98" N 097°56'59.99" W

at Progreso Lakes there's a massive grain elevators operation, the grain isn't all that well protected, and the blackbirds have noticed. Sky darkening clouds of Redwings with Brown-Head and Bronzed Cowbirds and Yellow-Headed Blackbirds mixed in.

After lunch in Weslaco it's Estero Llano Grande where I have some measure of home field advantage. Not too worried about staying with the group 'cause I know my way around and how to get back to base fast if necessary.

They go east from the Visitor Center, I catch up after they've gone a bit beyond the Pauraque Zone. Only Pauraque One was on station as I went by, I turn people around and get Chris back to him. Chris tells me to not point him out, to make people crack the puzzle. My popularity goes up for a while.

The light's good, the wind's sane, I'm looking forward to Spoonbill from the levee. The group trip's had occasional Spoonbills but all airborne to date. Get to the levee, everybody's there EXCEPT the fuckin' Spoonbills. We linger a bit, as we're about to relocate Chris gives me a cryptic hint, I connect the dots, look straight up, get a bird low and running downwind to the west. Rounds a bend and parks just out of sight. Shit.

Chris - I think - gets us a really out-of-wintering-range Swainson's Hawk in with some White-Tails.

A bit under nineteen crowflight miles to the WNW:

26°16'04.59" N 098°13'00.30" W

Sun's low, hundreds of Green Parakeets are coming into the wires for pre-roost. A twelve-year-old armed with a decent looking pair of Vortex glasses zips up on a bike and asks me if we're birders. Yeah. On a tour? Yeah. Who with? Field Guides. OOH!!! (Beatles status.)

He can't wait till he'll be able to do what we are.

Well... (In a low conspiratorial voice.) You can check their past trip reports, harvest locations, do this on your own for a fraction of the price tag. Yeah, he knows that trick. Then he's gotta go home so he doesn't get run over in the dark.

Shortly after we've gotta say bye-bye to what was recorded as four hundred Parakeets and eight thousand Great-Tailed Grackles. (Gawd it was loud and lots of us were thinking about how close to design loading the powerlines were.)

Holiday Inn Express, Mission. On this stop Mandy unloads "ALL" the client luggage and equipment from the back of the van.

I gather up all our stuff and cart it into our room - which on this stop is directly across the hall from Chris's.

Dinner, come back and clean, organize, gear up for Day. It's 22:00 I'm 45 seconds from going horizontal and into a much needed coma and... "Wait a minute! Where the fuck is my TRIPOD?"

OK, it didn't get offloaded, I'll put my boots back on, use my iPhone flashlight to light up the back of the van and verify that it's secure, get my pulse and breathing back down to normal levels...

I'm expecting to see the van within about 25 yards of the main entrance and shortly thereafter accomplish my mission. Instead I find myself checking and rechecking half a mile of nearby asphalt in what-the-fuck mode. Then I start wondering if this is MY fault. What if Mandy offloaded it, I missed it in its black case, some unrelated party later didn't? I can't knock on Chris's door this time of night, the desk knows nothing, I'm not gonna sleep so I start looking online at replacement costs, throw in the towel.

Then at 23:00 the phone starts ringing just before the knocking on the door starts, HM gets woken up, I'm announcing that I'm on my way as I stumble to the door, there's Chris holding my bag with its intact contents...

They (Chris and Mandy? And/Or some other favored party member(s)?) had gone out after dinner. (Must be nice to have those kinds of energy reserves.) And while I was most relieved to have the assembly safe and secure next to my bed this was THEIR screw-up and there was no trace of an apology.
---
Took HM to an appointment yesterday morning and sat in. Different doc, new x-ray. Fracture all the way across the ankle - even the doc was a bit horrified. The big immobilization boot got replaced by a cast.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

2020/01/14

There's a well known Burrowing Owl location at about 26°08'05.66" N 098°17'54.24" W. We get it/one with zilch effort. I think that's the first one of those guys I've had since the summer of 1985 in south central North Dakota (Standing Rock Reservation).

Hidalgo Cemetery - 26°06'20.47" N 098°15'30.93" W. A dozen Monk Parrots. First time I've ever seen any wild. Triggers a lot of painful memories and emotions.

Santa Ana National Wildlife Refuge...

There's a Crimson-Collared Grosbeak that's been showing up at the Visitor Center feeders that has high Rarity value. HM can't walk anywhere so he'll take that battle station.

The Group - and Tad - head out on trail, meander through the scrub, come out at an observation point on North Lake already populated by a German probable family group. We're there for a few minutes, bird action is reasonable, I figure we're gonna be there for a bit, unsheathe the tripod. The herd immediately heads East.

OK, there'll be something on the trail in a hundred yards that'll hold them up as has been the case scores of times before... Nope.

A major blind near the east end of the lake. Nobody there either.

Then the trail splits and there's nothing helpful coming through on audio. I don't know if the plan is for another twenty minutes or another two and a half hours. The Refuge is fuckin' HUGE and I can't afford to go exploring to the south and risk having them slide in between me and the parking lot so I meander back towards and to the Visitor Center.

No Grosbeak and that scene starts getting real old real fast. Green Jays and Altamira Orioles are spectacular birds but after an hour or so... I wander the trails close in, eventually hear familiar voices nearby, merge back in.

Lunch.

Back to Santa Ana. The Group returns to the point at which it had spent 85 percent of the morning's Refuge expedition. This place has a really serious...

26°04'38.76" N 098°08'17.66" W

...observation tower. I'd guess a hundred feet, way the hell above the canopy, 360 degree unlimited out until the curvature of the Earth becomes an issue. Best observation platform of the Field Guides trip and best observation platform of our extended trip - with the possible exception of about:

28°18'05.80" N 096°48'23.30" W

at the Aransas National Wildlife Refuge we later hit on our own.

And I'm really pissed off that Chris and The Group couldn't have been bothered to lift a finger to make sure that the guy hauling the heavy artillery got to participate in one of the best experiences of the tour at the earlier ascent.

And, let's remember, the guy hauling the heavy artillery - not to mention having to run a lot of support for the Group member participating in the tour with a broken ankle - had the night before been deprived of an hour's sleep and had it replaced with an hour of physical and emotional stress.

And all Chris / Field Guides would've had to have done would've been to have made his phone number available to Group members - hell, had all phone numbers published on a Group emailing.

And because nobody bothered to lift a finger towards that purpose the seven motherfuckers who WERE on the tower had only half the number of scopes and 36.9 percent of the scope objective glass area they would have had available otherwise. My 85 had been doing little more than gathering dust for the duration of that exercise.

In the evening exercise it's fun watching the Harris Hawks. As the light starts getting low Chris asks what kind of raptor one would expect to see on a water tower. Kathy suggests Osprey. Something else. I try "Peregrine?" as I begin rotation.

A couple young, local, substantially tattooed white guys are finishing their ascent about this time and I tell them what they'll be doing for the next couple minutes. They are totally blown away by the bird and the power of that glass to bring it in.

The Group does its exit, the guys remain and I get buried with offers of assistance. Compare/Contrast the way under zero I've had from The Group to date.

Fortunately Local Boys are remaining at the tower longer than I am 'cause I don't want The Group seeing them carrying my tripod and/or scope assembly and starting to think.

Local Boys catch up with and pass me a bit before I catch up with The Group.

After dinner and back at the hotel...

Every birding trip evening I do a really anal optical glass cleaning ritual:
- my prescription progressive eyeglasses:
-- transition
-- dedicated sun
--- polarized
--- not polarized - if I've been driving in daylight
- binoculars
-- Canon 10x42s Stabilized - mine
-- Swarovski 8x32s - HM's
- scope

Steps:
- rinse
- spray with Ivory dishwashing detergent solution
- wipe with soft bristle toothbrush
- rinse
- spray with lens cleaning solution
- wipe clean and dry with microfiber lens cloth
- secure in cases

Objectives on scope and binoculars usually get skipped 'cause they usually stay immaculate.

Lens cloths periodically get sprayed with detergent solution, rinsed, dried overnight.

Hafta do HM's binocular 'cause if I don't he'll wipe the oculars off with his dusty shirt - as I discovered to my horror on their maiden expedition just prior to the whale watch ride from Dana Point two years ago. And I always clean the back end of the scope to minimize the probability of having some idiot guest user getting a similar idea.

Several mornings back I've found my polarized sunglasses case empty and have no freakin' clue what happened. Long shot... Kathy uses a case nearly identical to mine. But that avenue soon fails to pan out.

This evening HM says, "Why do I have THREE pair of sunglasses?"

:idea:

But the bad news is he only uses three dollar sun and reading glasses and treats them like crap. Nothing he's ever owned has ever seen the inside of a case or pouch. So a short while later when I confirm my hypothesis about the reason he's up and I'm down a pair I also confirm my prediction about the kind of shape in which my glasses will be.

2020/01/15

We'll be changing lodging again, I get all my non daily birding gear packed up and loaded, go back to the room for final, get back to the front as boarding is underway.

By this time in the trip there are some blindingly obvious seating and boarding patterns.

- I ALWAYS take D1 - the shit seat - from which I'm running my experiment.

- Mark ALWAYS takes D3 as it's the only place he can survive with his pinched nerve issue other than A3/shotgun. And he never takes shotgun.

- Nobody EVER takes D2 - we're both pretty big and D2 totally sucks anyway.

- HM ALWAYS takes C1. It's reasonably easy to access and he:
-- doesn't hold up anybody else exiting
-- can stay put for a shorter stop if he feels like it

- Both HM and Yours Truly need to board C and D first - respectively.

- Carey and Ruth tend to sit together - I think.

I've forgotten about the stupid Anis, Becards, Chachalacas rotation and arrive as only Mark, Carey, and Kathy remain outside. I start heading for the shit seat so Mark can do D3 ASAP.

Kathy has appointed herself Boarding Nazi for the duration of the trip and says...

"Hold on! What boarding group are you in?"

"It doesn't (fuckin') matter. NOBODY wants (the shit seat) to sit back there." (Risking the integrity of my experiment a bit but my fuse is really short now.)

"Well you don't know that. You may not be able to sit where you want."

(I don't WANT to sit back there - you moron. I'm just running this experiment to be able to document what a group of douchebags you all are. Thanks bigtime for the bonus data.)

"What group are you it?"

(Bi-. I mean...) "Becard."

Carey takes some half decent seat, then I'm allowed to occupy my shit seat and stop blocking Mark from getting as comfortable as possible.

Back to Santa Anna.

Just outside the entrance there's a Border Patrol version of Woodstock. I think it was a group of about eight individuals who'd made the swim and been rounded up. Enforcement had massed enough firepower to invade Normandy and it was still rolling in as we made our way to the regular entrance.

I know where we're going, make my way up to the top of the tower ahead of The Group (save for maybe one or two), start working on birds. I've got a nice adult White-Tail locked before Chris and the rest arrive. I see from the report it was the only one from Santa Ana.

The target bird is a Hook-Billed Kite. An adult male's been showing up on a moderately regular schedule. We get him but he doesn't park for the scope.

Couple Gray Hawks and the Peregrine does an encore on the tower.

Chris knows:
- when he'll pull The Group off the tower
- that I:
-- don't know when he'll pull The Group off the tower
-- will need a minute and a half or two to pack up and remobilize

So without giving me a two minute warning he abruptly issues marching orders then from a bit beyond the base of the tower hollers something moderately abusive up at me and I fire back.

And fuck you and this bullshit - that was a totally planned setup and everyone and his dog would've known it at some level. Another experiment.

Without pushing myself or my pace I descend the tower, pause for bird IDs as I would normally, catch up with The Group stalled at some target, take it in, pass The Group.

We haven't yet had Chachalacas at Santa Ana. I get a handful along the trail, stop, wait for Chris and The Group to catch up to ensure that they get the birds. Then I continue birding my way back to the Visitor Center and parking lot.

As I touch and pull the locked handle on the van's back door I start my stopwatch. Then when Chris unlocks the van's back door I stop my stopwatch.

14:49.46 - half a second shy of a quarter hour. That's the time Chris and The Fuckin' Group had kept ME waiting. Just think how much fun everybody would have had with the roles reversed.

Next stop - Banworth Park Pond in Mission. I think Egyptian Goose is the primary target - it's established enough to count on a North American list.

Both Whistling-Ducks - Black-Bellied and Fulvous.

For me the Stilts are the major treat. You can walk right through them like they're city pigeons. Normally to get good looks you need a scope.

Also turtles - Red-Eared Sliders and Soft Shells. On the far bank there's a humongous Soft Shell being used as a rock my a much smaller Soft Shell.

Lunch at Caro's Restaurant in Rio Grande City. Chris does a gas run. I sit down and notice an eye cup missing from my Canon glasses. Good news - it had to have been stripped off as I was struggling through the web of shoulder belts between the shit seat and freedom and it's almost certainly on the van floor. So I gotta go back out and wait for Chris to return - which takes forever. But, yeah, it's on the floor between Rows B and C.

Later in the trip I pick up some wide webbing related plastic clip which I reunite with Mark after he identifies it the next morning - obviously stripped off in the same manner.

On to Salineño / Salineño Wildlife Preserve. The main action is run out of a trailer:

26°30'52.46" N 099°06'54.96" W

Chairs aimed at feeders NW a few yards. They ask for a few bucks contribution to keep the feeders running. Chachalacas, Golden-Fronted and Ladder-Backed Woodpeckers, Altamira and Audubon's Orioles, a Cotton Rat.

Down to the river access - Mexican terra firma is ninety yards across. Blue-Winged Teal, Mottled Duck, Double-Crested Cormorant, Great Blue Heron, Osprey... I show Jim how to set a tripod up vertically on sloping ground. He's interested.

The Group minus two or three of us heads upstream on a trail in hopes of bagging a Morelet's Seedeater. I pass for the moment to deal with some issue I can't recall and soon regret my decision 'cause they score almost immediately and return.

We work our way through the scrub on the Salineño Shortcut road to the main drag to Falcon State Park. Then on up US 83 to the Holiday Inn Express, Zapata (yeah, that Zapata) which will be our last Field Guides trip lodgings.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

2020/01/16

Way the hell back down to the river access at Salineño this morning - but a much better selection of water habitat birds.

Back up the Salineño Shortcut. The eBird trip reports list only one Roadrunner but I'm positive there were two - both crossing left to right directly in front of the van. Driver and Shotgun get great - albeit short - views. D1 gets total shit.

Roadrunner's major for me. I've only had one before - right to left and quickly gone forever near the North end of the Salton Sea a half dozen years prior. Bit disappointing so far.

Back to Falcon State Park where we pick up Peccaries. And on Lot 125 at, I think:

26°35'06.93" N 099°08'52.88" W

there's another trailer/feeder operation that entertains us for a good chunk of the morning. This guy has marshmallows impaled on twigs all over the place and they got a lot of attention.

Pyrrhuloxia - same genus as the Cardinal (which we had there too) was a nice pickup for me. A lifer I'm pretty sure.

After lunch...

Three Red-Billed Pigeons have been reported at Max A. Mandel Municipal Golf Course which is way the hell up to Laredo and a real good bit upriver beyond. Off we go.

Park at the clubhouse, get HM parked in as good a vantage point as possible, start hiking upstream.

It's surprisingly nice habitat for a golf course - where the usual goal is to groom to the extent that the biodiversity gets down to humans and a couple flavors of grass.

The Pigeons are gotten in reasonably short order but they don't pick real conspicuous perches and stay in one place very long. Chris gets his scope on them and Groupies are getting their shots. I've got my scope in a better position but I don't know exactly where the birds are and ask Chris to target them.

He tries for a couple seconds then bails and tells me he doesn't know how. And I'm wondering then how the hell are you targeting your own scope which is exactly the same thing 'cept with a smaller diameter objective which gives you a reduced field of view and should be making the trick a lot harder.

Maybe he didn't know how to work the tilt and pan resistance controls on the head? Maybe he should've been paying attention during my eight second presentation on Expedition Day One.

I say, "OK, laser them and I'll lock them up."

And I get them and everyone and his dog lines up behind my scope.

Then after they disappear back downstream I show Chris my trick. I select an imaginary bird location at a conspicuous fork in a major limb, lock it up, show it to Chris with the laser, have him look through the scope, then have him sight through the cylinder in the head where the handle isn't.

"OH!"

(Yeah, this is one of the things I'd have LIKED to have shown everybody in The Group at the BEGINNING of the trip. (But nobody had the least fuckin' interest and got the least fuckin' encouragement from Leadership.))

I note to Chris that I've noted that he uses one of the techniques I've discovered for getting his tripod set up quickly and efficiently. And he'd also figured it out on his own - probably decades earlier. But the only place anybody's gonna find this technique described, documented is on my "Swarovski ATX spotting scope system" Kite Strings archive.

Chris calls retreat and all those motherfuckers who'd been lining up behind my scope for their latest life bird instantly comply - leaving me in their dust totally alone to break down, pack up, carry out. I'm simultaneously massively depressed by their behavior and totally delighted to see how magnificently my experiment is proving my predictions. Just half a day more to go.

Mark (not carrying anything beyond his Canon 10x42s) fizzles out about a third of the way back and Kathy and one or two others immediately rush in to give aid, comfort, moral support.

I'm still fifteen yards back and feign a little exhaustion to see what kind of reaction -I- will get. A quick glance from Kathy. Eh, he'll be OK. (And even if he won't there's only a half day of the trip left. Then we can draw straws and the loser will get stuck with the odious task of carrying and managing his scope.)

Back at the clubhouse... There's a Roadrunner making his way through the shrubs on the slope on the near/WNW side of the building. I'm not close in and get pretty much zilch before he totally disappears. But not long afterwards he re-emerges and I get nicely saturated from near zilch range with great lighting. Spectacular look at a spectacular bird.

Dinner back in Laredo. Palenque Grill - Mexican - on the main drag.

I've gotten pretty good at requesting no straws please at the earliest opportunities at the meals stops. Chris reiterates, "Yeah, we're a birding group. Please, no straws."

With all the press on this issue in this era one would think you'd need to make a special request and fill out a form to be issued a straw. But...

These guys were very friendly, attentive, eager to serve - and we must've had a hundred and fifty straws in glasses and on the table before we got outta there. Repetitions, reminders did absolutely NOTHING. Massively depressing.

2020/01/17

Final Field Guides trip day - half day actually.

We load. Kathy's subgroup has rotated around for first pick seating and she has shotgun wide open.

"I'm feeling a little guilty about this 'cause I've already had shotgun once before."

(Here's a thought Kathy... Maybe you should be thinking about who's had shotgun zero times and has taken the shit seat every loading. Maybe a thought or two about how everyone else has been benefitting, why he's doing what he's doing, perhaps thanking him to some small extent by insisting that he takes shotgun for this final (half) day. (Just kidding.))

Target One - Anzalduas (Hidalgo County) Park back south of Mission. We're maybe a dozen miles down the road; it's about 07:12 local, still totally dark as far as those of us in the van are concerned; we're going about 67 on a 75; there's this horrendous impact front center.

From D1 I say, "Oh no." Somebody from about B says, "What was it?" "An owl." (The only thing it could've been.) Chris confirms, "A Great Horned Owl."

Are you sure? I'm not seeing one listed on any of our eBird reports for that date. Oh well, at least we didn't stress him out with a laser any.

OK kids, we're gonna have a great time chasing all kinds of really cool birds around the Lower Rio Grande Valley for five and a half days. But part of the cost is we're gonna annihilate a Great Horned Owl in the process. (Or, in Alaska, a Hoary Redpoll.) Who's in?

It was real quiet in the van for a while - but, in my humble opinion, not long enough. We should've turned around and taken a good long look at what we'd done.

Carey and Ruth, by the way, are pretty dedicated wildlife rehabbers.

---

Mandy and I have gotten into a discussion about photography and she expresses some interest in digiscoping. All of my relevant gear is accessible and I figure I can do a show-and-tell and could use a field assembly drill.

The Hood components are all broken down and packed and padded for air travel and it takes me a bit to figure out how to put them back together but I have the back end stuff action ready before long and give her a look.

26°09'01.30" N 098°19'15.60" W

That's the north corner of a square plowed field. We see a car pulled off on the shoulder as we approach. And what unfolds as we arrive is amazing. From the report...

01 - Great Blue Heron
01 - Harrier
01 - Redtail
05 - Turkey Vulture
15 - Black Vulture
30 - White-Tailed Hawk
45 - Caracara

Birds are parked on the ground, airborne, taking off, landing, harmlessly scrapping with each other. I've never seen or heard about anything like it and I still have no clue what was going on and/or why.

The main mission for Anzalduas is three Sprague's Pipits. I've left the digiscoping assembly intact for Chris to get a look when we arrive at the park but wanna get it broken back down and properly packed ASAP so I eliminate myself from that mini expedition. As with the Seedeater, they get them in short order, I don't. But I do get a nice Rock Wren and our only other Cattle Egret.

Anzalduas is kinda cool 'cause if you're a crow on the westernmost extremity of the park and wanna fly straight and don't wanna cross into Mexico you've gotta fly a heading from East to SSE.

We finish Anzalduas then it's the most direct route to HRL for Group disassembly.

I want to get a little time to talk to Chris and the situation is as I expected it to be - rushed and not really conducive - but with a little prompting he figures out that D1 is the crappiest seat on the van and I took it for the entire duration for that reason.

I told him about how after he gave me the crap at Santa Ana about not holding up The Group that The Group had held me up for fifteen minutes.

And I told him how perfectly my scope experiment had gone - that not one motherfucker had once so much as offered to lift a finger to save me an ounce's worth of effort and/or a second's worth of time with the equipment which they were ALL quite happy to take advantage of. Whereas the two local boys on the tower...

And he doesn't know the formula for calculating group intelligence - IQ of the most intellectually challenged member of the group divided by the number of members of the group. If I'd been out alone with any one of the members of The Group I'd have had assistance in packing in and out, setting up and breaking down my equipment every single stop. And appreciation would've been expressed.

I actually liked Chris a lot. He was very intelligent, articulate, quick, funny, knew his shit, was excellent at getting us birds. But he set a tone that translated to disrespect and a not insignificant degree of bullying. And I'm thinking that's a general birding guide industry issue. And I'm pretty sure I never wanna put myself in a position like that again.

I've had untold scores of experiences sharing glass with all sorts of individuals and the collective response I got from this group on this trip has gotta be feet, ankles, and lower legs below the next lowest.

So we pick up a rental and set the navs for the Port Isla Inn in Port Isabel. Stop at the Aplomados access. Both birds again present but the platform hasn't moved any closer and the turbulence issue isn't any better.

How nice it will be to:
- stay in one place for three consecutive nights
- not hafta permanently bail at 06:30 on the second morning
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

2020/01/18

I'd really enjoyed the tidal flats...

26°08'34.27" N 097°10'20.00" W

...we'd hit with The Group six days prior. Lotsa birds, species - scope paradise. Drove in fairly close to the masses and set up. Shortly afterwards a guy from Michigan - if I recall correctly - with some really serious camera gear approached from behind. Wanted to make sure he wouldn't be doing anything that would interfere with what we were doing. Nah, we weren't doing anything the least bit important and the birds weren't spooking very much and for very long.

He spread his tripod legs out to near horizontal and was shooting from point-blank with his belly on the wet sand. Must have a lot of amazing shots in his collection.

Redhead; Lesser Scaup; Coot; Stilt; Oystercatcher; Long-Billed Curlew; Marbled Godwit; Turnstone; Dunlin; Greater Yellowlegs; Gull - Laughing, Ring-Bill; Tern - Caspian, Forster's, Royal; Skimmer; Double-Crested Cormorant; Pelican - White, Brown; Great Blue Heron; Great Egret; Snowy Egret; Tricolored Heron; Great-Tailed Grackle.

I try to rescue from the garbage all the food they heap on you at restaurants and I'm hauling a substantial load of bread. Within seconds I have an Alfred Hitchcock movie going on - Laughing Gulls and a few wary (of the Gulls) Grackles.

I try to distribute fairly - throwing bit around randomly on the surface and at varying altitudes, making them come in and take it from my fingers. At one point I have half a dozen timid Gulls parked out a foot or two and another does a high speed snatch and go from way back and to the left. That one hurt.

Managed to get a bit to the Grackles but they were seriously avoiding conflicts with their much larger competitors. (And I'd just had a taste of what they could do without trying.)

Bailed for lunch at Louie's Backyard, open deck on the bay side a bit under three miles back south, the Grackles made out a lot better with most of the French fries I hadn't ordered and didn't know I was getting.

Next stop - Laguna Atascosa National Wildlife Refuge. Visitor Center is at:

26°13'33.53" N 097°20'54.12" W

or thereabouts. It's closed by the time we arrive but the feeders aren't and another dose of Green Jay and Altamira Oriole won't hurt anything. And there are still staffers and other visitors around and coming in and the company's kinda fun.

The place is Ground Zero for Ocelots this side of the border. Don't hold your breath waiting to see one but it's nice to know they're around.

Picked up a single overhead Sandhill Crane - a bird missed by the Field Guides tour.

Make our way to Osprey Overlook:

26°14'05.07" N 097°21'55.45" W

It overlooks the refuge's namesake body of water from the East at about its middle latitude. Elevated pavilion makes for one helluva scope platform. Overcast, beautiful even light but starting to fade a bit. Coots, Great Egret, I think Great and Little Blue and a Spoonbill.

Dirk and Maria show up, I get them playing with the glass and they get totally blown away. We clicked pretty good, they take each other's pictures with me, light fades to near useless, We're supposed to be off the refuge by sunset or dark - but I don't think it's an issue anyone actually cares about.

Dirk is tripping over himself wanting/trying to help me break down. He actually makes more work for me by over-unlocking the tripod legs but, nevertheless, what a wonderful contrast to the total crap I got from near a week's worth of The Group. I lock the legs back up and show him the tricks.

It's pretty much full darkness when we roll and there are untold scores of little Cottontails trying to kill themselves under the tires - the only lagomorphs of the trip. Real healthy dose of Pauraques on and flying up from the gravel road as well. Made it out with no damage done to anyone.

2020/01/19

Eager to see more of Laguna Atascosa made back the following mid morning - Visitor Center open this time. Could've stayed there forever talking with the staffers and volunteers but headed back to Osprey Overlook after a bit.

Should've stayed at the Visitor Center. One step up onto the pavilion was like throwing the switch for a wind tunnel - a really cold (north) wind tunnel. Stayed long enough to see what thirty would do to the scope. Birds weren't having any part of it either anyway.

We'd been given some suggestions for better Aplomado than we could get back at our platform and headed out with that bird in mind.

Picked up about a dozen Bobwhite on the right side of the road on the way out. First of that bird - in a sustained population - I'd seen since Ridgely (2008 season). (I'd had a single here in the yard maybe a decade ago but it would've been something that had escaped or been released. They've long been extinct in this chunk of their range.)

A bit on out down in an agricultural field at about:

26°11'38.63" N 097°21'21.50" W

and about three hundred yards out I had a good prospect for an Aplomado with his back to us. First thought - the scope's gonna be as totally useless here as it was back at Osprey Overlook. But wait... If I have my window mount with me - and I do - rather than clamping down on under seven pounds of draggy tripod/head assembly I can clamp onto over a ton and a half of fairly well streamlined Chevy Malibu plus near another quarter ton of people and gear ballast.

And I have my digiscoping gear with me which includes an STX ocular module (straight versus angled) so I don't hafta go through the hell of making the ATX work in that configuration.

It works great but it's still a lot of range and a crappy perspective and I'm not quite convinced. I relocated to East of the bird for a side view but that added another 140 yards and the thermal turbulence did a nice job of neutralizing me.

Pulled out the field guide, looked back through the scope, target was gone, an Osprey was airborne in a position one would have expected the target to have been had it taken off within the available timeframe. Fuckin' Ospreys aren't supposed to park in the middles of big fields three miles from the edge of the fuckin' lake. But it was a good field drill anyway.

Continued on with our quest. No shortage of Redtails, Kestrels, Shrikes but...

Turned around and I wanted to stop at a wind turbine close to the road (can't yet reconstruct where) I'd noted on the way out.

Wind turbine farms have seemed to be never out of sight over the course of this trip. On the one hand it's nice to see energy being produced minus the burning of fossil fuels ('specially in Texas), on the other one wonders how the birds and bats are coping. I'd raised the issue during the Group part of the trip and was hopeful 'cause I knew that they've slowed the rotation and the rotation appears slow from any distance but tips can still be spinning up to 180 miles per hour so...

I stop back at my choice and watch and listen to it spinning, flexing, creaking for a couple minutes.

There was supposed to be another Aplomado nest platform farther west from our regular on East Ocean Boulevard and closer in but we couldn't find it so just did a final stop for 26°05'20.06" N 097°19'30.73" W. They were again both home but it was kinda dark, cold, windy so the viewing hadn't gotten any better or more enjoyable.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

2020/01/20

Most major relocation of the trip to date. We're bailing from Port Isla and will spend the next three nights at the Days Inn Rockport. Harlingen, Raymondville, Sarita, Riviera, Kingsville, Bishop, Robstown, Corpus Christi, Mustang Island, Port Aransas, Harbor Island, Aransas Pass en route in between.

Raptors - mostly Redtails and Kestrels - and Shrikes are pretty thick on the wires and poles. At some point there's a rather major traffic backup. Border Patrol is asking travelers about their citizenship. Nice to be able to say "US" minus any color, accent issues.

As we approach Kingsville I switch the Garmin to:

27°31'10.31" N 097°52'46.73" W
315 North Wanda Drive

http://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49542642951_6e6fc046ea_o.png

Donnell's place since the beginning of time. Imagery date - 2011/04. About six months after Lemmy Lopez - 2010/10/13. You can still see glider stuff in the overhead of the carport.

We get to within two and two thirds driving miles. If I'd been alone I'd have swung over and done a slowish pass. And little did I know that three weeks prior to this day...

At Port Aransas there's a free Port Aransas Ferry that gets you off of Mustang Island and back on asphalt that runs to the mainland (or vice versa). As things work out after a surprisingly short wait we get bow center of three lanes. (Thank you God.) And as we wait while loading continues I get a small pod of Dolphins working the middle of the channel - about two hundred yards out. I give a shout.

Car to port. "Huh"? "Bottlenose Dolphins - twelve o'clock." "OH! Thanks!"

And they stayed working back and forth for quite some time. I think the last time I'd seen these guys was off the beach north of Nags Head after the 1994 Spectacular comp.

Nice score but, what the hell, we're scheduled with Rockport Birding and Kayak (two and a third crowflight miles north of the hotel) the next morning for a half day hop on their Skimmer boat to do the Cranes and should be up to our armpits in Dolphins in the process.

2020/01/21

The Skimmer sails at 09:30, the weather's great, we're supposed to check in a half hour prior. We show up but:
- there's no one with whom to check in
- we're the only ones who've shown up to check in
and it soon becomes apparent that this won't be happening.

Eventually an operations person shows up and opens up their office / coffee shop. They require a ten person minimum to roll, didn't get it, she tried to notify HM via a dozen avenues of communication.

The weather's supposed to suck tomorrow but the morning may be doable and we reschedule accordingly.

The south end of the Lyndon B. Johnson Causeway doubles as the Copano Bay State Fishing Pier and it has a bit of nice marshy habitat and a few wader sorts of birds. I give it a short stop.

Then on to Goose Island (peninsula) State Park. Don't get much bird bang for the entrance fee buck but a bit to the NNE centered around:

28°08'59.53" N 096°58'31.68" W

Gold mine. Pasture area, tons of Sandhill Cranes, Great Blue Heron, Black-Bellied Whistling-Ducks, Gallinule. (Purple Gallinules are in range for breeding but not for wintering - so Gallinule means Common.)

I scope a mile and two thirds plus across the Saint Charles Bay to the some marshy shore area of the Blackjack Peninsula and I KNOW I have Whooping - there's nothing else that's that big and that white and moves. But that's a lot of thick low level atmosphere to deal with and the views are WAY less than stellar.

Note: I'm near totally clueless as to where I'm fitting into the big geographical picture. I don't know the name of the bay or what the land across it is. But what I'm seeing is the southern end of the Aransas National Wildlife Refuge. (Whoopers. Big surprise.)

And then a pair of Whoopers appears south of Twelfth Street at an range of about 150 yards. Spectacular birds, tallest North American, dwarf the Sandhills - who themselves are pretty spectacular birds. I have casual folk of all ages lining up behind the scope. The birds are pausing and strolling so I need to keep retargeting.

A couple birders stop and let us know about the Cranes a bit north of Eighth Street in the ballpark of:

28°08'54.00" N 096°58'50.00" W

After our pair has been beaten to death we roll the requisite 0.9 miles to find a group of seven cruising backyards. They're practically standing on a back deck and looking like they're interested in getting through the glass patio doors and into the dining room. They're behaving like Mallards in a city park. Wow.

Back near the previous observation point at:

28°09'09.19" N 096°58'35.95" W

there's a little public park area dedicated to "The Big Tree" - which they don't even identify with respect to species. It's a Live Oak and estimated to be maybe a thousand years old. Pick up Eastern Bluebirds.

Bail for lunch a few yards from where we didn't board the Skimmer near the beginning of the day.

Drive back up North Fulton Beach Road hugging Aransas Bay and checking out little patches of wetlands habitat. Get a Belted Kingfisher near the top end.

It's a bit late in the day but decide to head to the Aransas NWR. And despite the fact that I was able to identify Cranes in the refuge near the beginning of the day from practically next door it's 32 road miles to the refuge entrance gate at 28°18'37.54" N 096°48'05.59" W - and another fourteen crowflight SSW back to where I was seeing the birds. There's a lot of water that needs to be navigated around for this exercise.

The good news is that there's also lotsa cool wetlands habitat traversed by Texas 35 as one heads NNE and lotsa cool birds inhabiting it.

Office is closed upon our arrival but the Refuge isn't until a half hour after sunset. At that point - the sign informs us - the gate closes automatically and doesn't open back up until tomorrow morning. Still a fair number of visitors around though.

I stop somewhere around:

28°18'05.80" N 096°48'23.30" W

We're looking NE at a Tomas Pond wetlands area with the sun fairly low directly behind us. Translation: hard to ask for more spectacular lighting.

A pair of glowing Whoopers right in front of us. (Can't remember whether or not we had Sandhills as well.) Herons, Egrets, White Pelicans, Spoonbills, tons of Deer everywhere. (The South Texas deer we saw were all small White-Tails.) Lotsa folk sharing the scope including a Swiss family group. Practically had to threaten them to get them to look a lot less at the Deer and a lot more at the Cranes.

I'd have preferred to have stayed there until eight minutes prior to gate lock. HM wanted to do the wildlife drive loop.

The loop scared the crap outta me. It was just about all scrub and a miniscule fraction as interesting as the wetlands we were leaving, tons of Deer, one Possum (only one of the trip (ignoring roadkill)), little in the way of birds.

At 28°15'04.41" N 096°47'23.76" W there was a really cool boardwalk - I'd noted it on Google Earth when prepping for the trip and entered the coordinates but hadn't realized it was majorly elevated. Too dark and late to do anything with it though.

Sky was mostly clear so one could get periodic assurances that the sun was still up but there was also enough in the way clouds and trees to shake one's confidence. (And I didn't know exactly when sunset was supposed to be and didn't wanna sacrifice any time to try to figure things out with available gadgets.) And the road was really windy and irregular so it was really hard to guestimate percentage remaining.

Speed limit I believe was 25. I was trying to maintain ten over. Felt I could do that without risking killing any Deer - which were fuckin' EVERYWHERE.

Was so happy to finally blow through the gate - with no close calls with any of the little herdlets.

2020/01/22

Heavy rain for the first half of the day, more reasonable the rest. Boat trip scrubbed. The downtime was really needed and it was nice to have the excuse.

Decided to scrub on the boat for our next/last morning / partial day on the coast. Felt a bit bad about that 'cause I'm sure it would've been majorly target rich but I'm sure it would've finished me physically. (Hope they still made their minimum and were able to sail without us.) Sure glad we got the Dolphins at the ferry crossing 'cause they were gonna be our last.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

2020/01/23

Packed up to blow for San Antonio. Stopped at the Texas Maritime Museum a third of a mile down the main drag on the way out.

I have some more bread I need to lose and there are three of four Laughing Gulls across the street. It's astonishing how quickly and widely the word spreads.

Check out the museum. There's a pretty bird savvy volunteer manning the desk.

One of the subjects that comes up is Harvey. The Google Earth imagery that's currently up for this stretch of coastal Texas is 2017/08/29 - days after the hurricane - and it looks like nuclear blast aftermath. One hears as lot about recovery and rebuilding but he rattles off scores of businesses, establishments, livelihoods that no longer exist. (The museum itself took some heavy hits but...)

Again... Tons of raptors and Shrikes en route. But our destination is Riverwalk Plaza - pretty much dead center - so pretty much bye-bye habitat and stuff that lives in it until late morning 2020/01/26. Car's gonna be locked up for the duration and will make do with Lyft and Uber.

East side, fourth floor, pretty good view of the Tower of the Americas - San Antonio's Space Needle. No Whooping Cranes so use it as a scope target.

2020/01/24

Lyfted over to the Tower late morning, elevatored up to the Chart House Restaurant for lunch. Sky's clear to the horizon - which varies (I was informed) from 15 to 25 miles out depending on the relevant terrain. The restaurant rotates within its glass shell counterclockwise at a rate of 45 minutes per hour / four revolutions per three hours. There's an observation deck above with museum / visitor center type displays.

Everything's pretty spectacular but kinda sterile and I was a lot happier on top of the Santa Ana National Wildlife Refuge tower at a small fraction of the elevation - even with The Group.

Did the San Antonio Symphony Orchestra at the Tobin Center after dinner - Shostakovich and Tchaikovsky.

There's an eighteen year old kid in front of me with a dinky pair of Nikon (8x20?) glasses. "I'll bet I can beat you to death with my glasses a lot faster than you can beat me to death with yours." He checks them out and is totally blown away.

I check his out and they're not bad - given the numbers - but he has the diopter compensator cranked to the max in whatever rotation. I zero and lock it, hand the glasses back, explain the reason for the huge improvement.

2020/01/25

I Lyft solo to the Alamo - under a half a crowflight mile to the ENE away. Family in line with me - have a fun history/birds mix discussion before we get separated in the crowd.

There are some armed re-enactor types in an area of the grounds. I'm interested in the engineering of the firearms and he answers my questions and explains things well. A bit later on the half hour or whatever when they do the regular public talk and presentation he addresses damn near everything he'd just explained to me in the individual discussion.

I KNOW I'm hearing Blue Jays in the tops of the trees on the grounds but I can't get visual. They stop rather abruptly not far north of the Rio Grande Valley area we did. I persist and FINALLY. That would be the last new species for the trip.

In the afternoon we head for the Majestic Theatre for SpongeBob. I'm a bit wiped and start nodding off a bit around the three quarter mark but am able to maintain audio contact. And fortunately I'd seen it on Nick several times through a month or two back so I make it through OK until I get my second wind. I think they had some / a lot / most of the same cast members.

2020/01/26

Blew San Antonio and started seeing habitat and birds again. First target:

26°32'23.50" N 098°02'29.60" W

Lower Rio Grande Valley National Wildlife Refuge - Sal Del Rey. (Don't waste your time looking for a visitor center.) We drove around it clockwise - Chapa Road to Brush Line Road to Texas 186.

Nice close Harris Hawks around the first corner, big herd of Turkeys - around a couple dozen - shortly thereafter.

26°32'25.80" N 098°05'58.40" W there's a Bobcat on the near/right/NE shoulder. I pull over just beyond him. First (and last) wild cat I've ever seen in the wild - even if not still viable. Suspicious skid marks. But on closer inspection they're not skid marks. They're tar tracks - artifacts of the road work you can see on the Google Earth current / 2019/05 Street View imagery. So no evidence that it was anything deliberate. (But I'll bet I'd have been going at a speed at which that wouldn't have happened.) I drag him off of the shoulder.

Edinburg under eighteen miles farther south. We undoubtedly pass within a quarter mile of the 2010/10/13 Lemmy Lopez impact site.

I have Edinburg Scenic Wetlands and World Birding Center on the Garmin. But when we get there... Athletic fields, bumper-to-bumper traffic, good luck parking, total mob scene.

I do find some open parking and a few surprisingly good water birds - given the circumstances - but feel little but relief after extraction.

Checking the web info... It looks like they do have some nice habitat, resources, facilities that I missed but a late Sunday afternoon in pleasant weather was probably not a great time to go exploring on a first visit.

Crashing at La Quinta Inn McAllen the final two nights. We check in, I'm dealing at the west entrance with a cart and pretty much all the luggage, gear from the car. A younger couple with a dog approach.

"There's a Peregrine on the big green "E" at Hilton Embassy next door." (They've seen my glasses before I've seen their glasses.)

"Wow! The last Peregrine I saw was from the tower at Santa Ana on the water tower just north of the refuge."

"Yeah, us too."

I really wanna get the bird but I can't afford to leave all that gear unsecured. (Should've asked if they'd have minded watching it for two minutes.) And by the time I've gotten things safely dealt with it's fairly dark and the bird's gone. Oh well, tomorrow evening then - probably.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

2020/01/27

Southwest of Mission on the Rio Grande at:

26°10'50.54" N 098°22'00.60" W

there's a National Butterfly Center I've harvested from somewhere and punched into the Garmin. It's a small private sanctuary/foundation on east edge of the Bentsen Rio Grande Valley State Park. On the evening of 2020/01/09 - Day 03 of the trip - back at the Super 8 Weslaco I'm astonished to hear its Director exploding all over the national news. Yeah, the fuckin' Wall.

I want to go there. We go there. I want to get a staffer alone in a situation in which he or she feels he or she can speak his or her mind freely. Turns out it's gonna be a he (but don't even know his name).

People trickle in and out of the Visitor Center getting wrist band passes, maps, guides, books... There's a big poster listing scores of laws and treaties that have been waived in order to expedite the local effort of Making America Great Again. When no one's around I ask him if "waived" isn't at this time an overly polite term for what's being perpetrated here.

Boy does he seize the opportunity to speak freely.

And anger just boils out of the office conference room. They don't seem to really care who hears what.

And what's being done is just too upsetting, outrageous, depressing, sickening for me to reiterate here. If you have the stomach for some of it:

http://www.nationalbutterflycenter.org

And that's just a sample of the atrocities that are being perpetrated by the dickhead we currently have in the White House and the fascist thugs he incites and empowers. National Butterfly Center just on this side of the border, Homero Gómez González and Raúl Hernández Romero down near Mexico City. Same flavor of perps.

Lunch then:

26°10'37.34" N 098°13'47.53" W

Quinta Mazatlan World Birding Center. Closed on Mondays. But the gate's open and a staffer appears in the parking area. Suggests McAllen Nature Center and Old Hidalgo Pumphouse. Yep, I had them both punched in months ago.

The former:

26°12'30.73" N 098°15'56.62" W

doesn't look like much from Google Earth but gets bigger and more interesting when you walk into it.

Also... There's a Shrike on the chain-link fence between the parking area and a drainage. I've seen zillions of them on the trip but never once in a situation in which I can really enjoy a close, relaxed, comfortable, quality view.

I get the scope set up and targeted. He disappears. But you don't hafta wait long for him to return and pose. I break off satisfied, descend into the park proper, have a candid discussion with a couple female staffers working on their projects, climb the little mountain they have constructed down there...

The latter:

26°05'50.36" N 098°15'42.71" W

Steam powered facility that was used to elevate water from the Rio Grande to benefit local agriculture.

I hike the area and nearby trails - fairly productive. There's a first year Cooper's bombing around - I'll call it a male.

Take a stroll through the pumphouse to get a feel for how the system worked. Think about how much all that coal burning over the decades contributed to today's increasingly horrible state of affairs.

Emerge and soon find a little flock of eight Monk Parrots foraging on the grass. Looks like they're a whole lot better equipped to handle Coops with numbers on their side. At this time I don't realize that we're only about eleven hundred yards from the cemetery at which The Group scored them part of a day shy of two weeks prior.

Regroup with HM and we cruise the neighborhood streets to the East and within a radius of about four hundred yards. It seems like every single utility pole in range is supporting a couple hundred pounds of Monk Parrot colonial nest. I've heard these things pose a serious and expensive problem for the grid folk. Now I've gotta admit, "Yeah, no shit." And I don't have any brilliant ideas about how to deal with the situation without doing something I don't wanna think about.

(The Street View imagery is a dozen years old and there's nothing established at that point.)

Bail for La Quinta McAllen, unload, check the Big E.

26°11'54.99" N 098°15'37.98" W
http://r-cf.bstatic.com/images/hotel/max1280x900/775/77582480.jpg

Peregrine is back. Adult, I'm calling her female. Get the scope set up outside of the main entrance of our place and locked on at a range of about 150 yards. Light's started to fade a bit but is even and excellent. Goal - empty the lobby.

There's a mostly black basketball team - the Something Skyhawks - staying at the hotel and I have a victim in range. Within a few minutes I have a long line and the lobby's totally empty - save for several employees and three assholes at the bar.

One may not know shit about Peregrines, falcons, birds in general but when one gets a shot like this one knows that he's looking at something AMAZING. I let them know that this is the fastest living thing this planet has ever produced - and ever will.

I ask individuals to guess how fast. Forty is a surprisingly frequent response. (C'mon. A fuckin' Cheetah can crack SEVENTY and that's just RUNNING. (Quarter Horses and Thoroughbreds crack forty.)) Try five times that with a healthy plus.

People are also aware that they're looking through some pretty nice glass. Somebody asks if it's about 2K. Somebody else knows that's kinda like the forty guess for the bird's speed. (Try multiplying that one by about three.)

Lighting stays great and the colors on the bird are rich and beautiful. But this is just a pre roost staging post and while we're doing a rotation she disappears minus a single witness.

I'd say this was the biggest bang-for-the-buck bird on the entire trip by several parameters - ease and quality of view, number of viewers, public education value. (Even if the setting weren't as pristine as it might have been.) For me personally... The Roadrunner and Aransas Refuge Whoopers probably.

2020/01/28

Packed for the plane; rolled to Harlingen; gassed back up, unloaded, dropped the rental; dumped in the trash all the recyclables I'd been hauling around hoping to find an appropriate bin somewhere.

Checked the two big Manfrotto bags. TSA guy asks about the contents. "Tripods. Anything that looks like an explosive is a laser." Nah, he just wants to make sure they're not undeclared rifles.

Go to the gate for Southwest 1843 to Houston. Also going to the gate for Southwest 1843 to Houston are a zillion kids wearing blue sweatshirts emblazoned with: Edinburg (some special school) Class of 2023.

I'm still looking for Constitution Street / 2010/10/13 Lemmy Lopez crash site. Do the math, they're probably four or five years old then so probably not much help. But I approach a clump, briefly explain, say "Take me to your leader." He doesn't know either and also figures that it's not likely that any of the kids will be of any use. Oh well, thanks...

14:45 departure approaches, HM's in a wheelchair, wheelchairs board first, HM's the first of the wheelchairs. And if you're on the same reservation as the wheelchair you board at the same time as the wheelchair. So I go to the same shit seat I had on the Field Guides trip van - port all the way back. 'Cept it's not really a shit seat on the flight. Yeah it's still pretty much first on / last off but it's on the north/shady side of the plane, is a window and less blocked by the wing than anything not in front of the wing.

And, force of habit, I hadn't even considered anything in front of the wing with this opportunity - but:
- blocking isn't that much of an issue back here anyway
- it's kinda fun to watch the control surfaces being actuated

Soon they plop a couple (Hispanic) Edinburg kids next to me in B and C. I tell B a bit about my Edinburg situation and he has a blast learning how to fly and soar hang gliders; launch, control, land passenger jets; navigate, monitor altitude and airspeed with the Garmin 3590. Also watching my plastic Coke bottle get crushed as we descend. He writes down the GPS model number when I tell him they're cheap used on eBay.

I tell him - as I've explained here - that these street models don't handle jet speeds very well and will lock up for annoyingly long periods after you've messed with functions and/or screens. We're on approach to Houston, I'm locked up, estimate our altitude to be about four thousand feet. A couple seconds later the Garmin lights back up - 4300 feet. Rockstar.

They go on to Chicago, we go on to BWI.

Land well ahead of 20:35 EST schedule, get our luggage without too much headache, need to hire a very large cart to maneuver to Lyft pickup position fifteen miles away. I'm not dressed very heavily and don't expect to live very long waiting for the ride but things prove not to be overly brutal.

Start worrying about the door key, HM reminds me that I made a last dash back into the house before departure and that indicates that I probably still have the key. (There's an emergency copy stashed but it's really stashed and I'd prefer not to hafta dig it up.) I TRY to explain to him that if I have it I'm pretty sure that I know where it is.

Lyft drops us and our tons of luggage at the base of this cliff of a driveway, I'm working on extracting the key from its secure little pouch in a laptop bag and not paying much attention to what HM is doing.

What HM is doing is limping up the driveway - on what we soon would know was a broken right ankle - using only a cane for support while carrying a heavy backpack in which he thinks he might have the key.

I get in and turn around to see him come within a hair's breadth of toppling on the concrete and brick front steps. If he'd gone down there I doubt that he'd have ever walked anywhere again.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

Three Rio Grande centric shots:

26°42'14.29" N 098°55'34.57" W - 194.74 miles
http://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49548583211_730361dd4c_o.png

Overview. Shows everything the trip covered until a bit beyond Kingsville on 2020/01/20. (And picks back up about 115 miles south of central San Antonio for 2020/01/26.) The Laredo area is near the top about a third of the way back from the left/west.

26°06'48.02" N 097°58'45.24" W - 092.72 miles
http://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49548081143_56cd8b043f_o.png

West to Rio Grande City.

26°01'53.08" N 097°57'40.95" W - 064.68 miles
http://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49548080998_c14e7e5a67_o.png

Pretty good representative look at the lower Rio Grande Valley. Note:
- Reynosa and Matamoros dense, expansive, and crammed against the border with relative zilch on the US side
- the contrast between the Mexican concentration and US sprawl development patterns
- that virtually all the dark green heavily forested habitat areas:
-- are:
--- in the river bends
--- on the US side only
-- very abruptly end at the US bank

These areas are ecological GOLD and pretty much all protected park, refuge, sanctuary resources.

The Rio Grande:

- majorly alters its course over time and, by treaty, defines the US/Mexico border. The river moves, the border moves.

- is water in a fairly water hungry area of the continent. A lot of life depends upon its relatively healthy existence.

- defines an ecotone between tropical and temperate biological communities - lotsa tropical stuff extends to just north of it and lotsa temperate stuff extends to just south of it

And if you really wanna do something to maximize permanent, irreversible environmental degradation and destruction - the way this piece o' shit of an excuse for a President under whom we've been suffering for over three years now obviously does - it's really hard to go wrong shoving a massive straight-line border wall through the middle of what's still hanging on.