LMFP Release Dysfunction

General discussion about the sport of hang gliding
Tad Eareckson

Re: LMFP Release Dysfunction

Post by Tad Eareckson »

I got a call from an employee at Lookout earlier this week asking how my new release was working (fine, so far).
GREAT!!! How many tows and under how much pressure?
I sent them the video of my difficulties.
What "DIFFICULTIES"? You got it to open in under five pulls didn't you? And you had plenty of altitude. Sheesh.
...the manual specifies that only 130 lb weak links should be used with this release.
Excuse me? The manual specifies:
At this time it is not recommended to use this release with a higher value weak link.
"At this time" means over two years ago. And even then 130 pounds was the MAXIMUM. I can't believe that, given the issues they've been having with "the best release in the industry", they're not recommending and using a much safer weak link.
I admit that's excessive...
And if you use the extreme on a tandem for that requirement you get up over ten times the Sacred Greenspot. The SOPs were written by USHGA idiots and accepted by FAA idiots and I would never rake somebody over the coals for something like that but if I can build around a two and a half dollar pin a two point that blows 650 pounds towline with under a twelve pound pull...
...but they're not testing the releases to anywhere near the level necessary to comply with the SOPs.
Don't worry, I'm sure that at the next USHGA BOD meeting Matt will have them revised to bring you into compliance.
And what exactly was wrong with the release in the first place?
If I could just get you to drill one tiny little hole.
deltaman

Post by deltaman »

If I could just get you to drill one tiny little hole
?
Zack C
Site Admin

Post by Zack C »

Tad Eareckson wrote:How many tows and under how much pressure?
Two or three tows, normal tension.
Tad Eareckson wrote:If I could just get you to drill one tiny little hole.
You know there's a lot more to it than that. And even after building the release, I'd have to find some way to test it on the ground.

Zack
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

Two or three tows, normal tension.
PRESSURE. "Tension" applies only to sailplanes. Whole nuther set of physics. Function of the weak link is ENTIRELY different - and you can get killed when it blows.

After the Dragonfly's promo tour Currituck stop - 1991/08/02-04 - and a couple more tows behind a Mountaineer trike in 1993 I independently rediscovered the spinnaker shackle (it had gone up at least as early as 1983 but I'd never seen one) and after that I never went up with cable again - and I never had to pull more than once on a lanyard.

At first I just ran 205 leechline up through rings lashed to the downtube to a spinnaker shackle with some line stitched to it in an arrangement which would allow it to operate under zero tension - crude but perfectly functional. Then things started evolving.
You know there's a lot more to it than that.
Not as much as you think.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/aerotowrelease/sets/72057594141352219/

Forget the stuff inside the basetube and just look at VG cord on the starboard side.
- Install a cleat on the basetube just to keep things tight and clean after release.
- Install a 20P-1270 VG Bearing at the bottom of the port downtube.
(So far you've just mirror imaged what's at the opposite corner.)
- Run a 205 leechline lanyard through the cleat, around the pulley and out the hole you drilled at the top.
- Bug me to make you the upper assembly.
- Install and adjust it.
...I'd have to find some way to test it on the ground.
- How rigorously has what you're flying now been tested?
- No, you wouldn't. I've already done that.

(Got all that, Antoine?)
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

The release you returned to us has been fixed. We are retesting every release at full weak link value and recording the amount of pressure it takes to release. Your old release currently releases at 12 pounds of pressure.
Towing Aloft

Appendix III
Release Test Procedures
LOAD TESTING

For releases near the pilot, as typically occurs in aerotowing and platform launch payout winch towing, the trip cord should actuate the release in any direction to the side, above, below and even forward with no more than 25 pounds actuation force.
I use a 272 pound weak link at the top end of my two point bridle to tow at one and a half Gs. Do the math with twelve pounds "at full weak link" and I'm redlining at 25.
Zack C
Site Admin

Post by Zack C »

Tad Eareckson wrote:Install a cleat on the basetube just to keep things tight and clean after release.
Can you elaborate on this? I'm having a hard time seeing the need for a cleat. Unlike the VG, which will go to full loose without anything holding tension on it, it seems like the release lanyard would just stay wherever you left it.

If it makes any difference, I'd probably tie a loop in the release end...I know you're not big on loops, but I am (for two fingers anyway...I wouldn't put my whole hand through).
Tad Eareckson wrote:
Zack C wrote:...I'd have to find some way to test it on the ground.
- How rigorously has what you're flying now been tested?
Dunno about that particular release, but you tested another copy pretty rigorously. And many people have been using these so they've gotten a good deal of in-flight testing. That counts for a lot, even if my particular release had never been tested at all.
Tad Eareckson wrote:- No, you wouldn't. I've already done that.
I wouldn't be worried about the upper assembly if I got it from you...I'd be worried about the stuff I implemented. Antoine copied your barrel release design and had some issues initially.
Tad Eareckson wrote:I use a 272 pound weak link at the top end of my two point bridle to tow at one and a half Gs. Do the math with twelve pounds "at full weak link" and I'm redlining at 25.
Twelve pounds did seem a lot for 130 lbs of towline tension, but it's hard for me to imagine what that kind of pull feels like.

If I built a rope lanyard release into my glider without anything to give a mechanical advantage, could I expect any better?

It would be nice to a) have a release I could be confident in, b) get rid of the draggy cable, c) not have to worry about velcroing and tying the damn thing to my glider every time I tow (which is actually a significant part of the time it takes me to get ready), d) have an alternative to cable releases I can actually show people, and e) have something to show Steve Pearson when I try to convince him to build releases into their wings. Keep at it, Tad...you'll convince me eventually. I've got a few other projects that take precedence right now, though (so long as I have a functioning release...).

Zack
Steve Davy

Post by Steve Davy »

I'm disappointed in you Zack. All this effort and for what? I don't tow but if I did I would buy an airline ticket to wherever this Tad guy lives and beg him to teach me as much as he would be willing. It's your neck, do as you wish.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

Zack,

My own system with the bungee in the basetube is really really cool 'cause it:
- automatically hits the actuation system with a brutal amount of force; and
- keeps what little there is in the airflow tight as violin strings for the duration of the flight.
But it's a LOT of work to build it in - especially with faired tubing. And if I were gonna build another one for myself I'd probably just use a cleat.

No, it's not all that important but it would be nice to keep the upper assembly neat and clean.

Or...

Another idea that just occurred to me that maybe I like better. Just put a cord lock (the little gizmo they use on the drawstrings for stuffbags) on the lanyard, pull the lanyard taut, and jam the cord lock up against the downtube when convenient.
...I'd probably tie a loop in the release end...I know you're not big on loops, but I am (for two fingers anyway...I wouldn't put my whole hand through).
Put a button on the end - like I did. Statistically, there doesn't seem to be an issue doing it the way you're proposing but it still scares me and there's no need to take the chance.
Dunno about that particular release, but you tested another copy pretty rigorously.
No, I didn't. I loaded ONE up to 388 pounds and pulled the cable ONCE. As I've said many times, it WAS a surprisingly light pull. But...

- I never dissected the core mechanism.

- The core mechanism is NOT well designed.

- Cable is problematic. The spinnaker shackle - ignoring the issues of the weak link unfriendly gate - is a beautiful, well engineered piece of hardware but cable - as you and untold hordes know from firsthand experience - can render it inert under normal tow tension.

And after a short time getting to know Matt a little better I had ZERO interest in ever being near him or anything that came out of his shop ever again.
And many people have been using these so they've gotten a good deal of in-flight testing.
And every one I've so far heard about has failed.
That counts for a lot, even if my particular release had never been tested at all.
Noooooooooo. It counts for NOTHING!

The ONLY thing I've EVER learned in the field that I didn't on the bench was "Oh yeah, I can't put that there because that's where the basetube rests on the cart bracket." And I COULD have thunk that through at home.

Releases have EVERYTHING to do with tension and NOTHING to do with aerodynamics. There's NEVER been a release issue that couldn't have been easily predicted on the ground.

The Bailey Release does GREAT as far as in-flight testing is concerned - tens of thousands of consecutive problem free releases. 'Cause:

- Nobody flies with anything heavier than a loop of 130 pound Greenspot.
- Emergency situations hardly ever involve much in the way of tension anyway.
- When somebody DOES have a problem with it he probably won't survive the "landing" in good enough shape to be able report on it.

Please don't ever say that again. It's the tactic Rooney and his adoring zombies use to make sure nothing better ever gets into the air.

http://ozreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=22308
Better mouse trap(release)?
Jim Rooney - 2010/12/16 18:47:05

Oh, I've heard the "everything we do is an experiment" line before. The trouble is, it's not.

I've seen experimentation with towing gear more than anything else in HG.

I've not seen many go out and try to build their own sails for example. When someone does, they're very quickly "shown the light" by the community. Example... the guy that was building the PVC glider in California somewhere.

But for some reason, towing gear is exempt from this.

The difference is what we do has been done by thousands of people already. It's been tested... a lot.
What we do is free of the experimentation part.
It's still dangerous, but not at the level of building new gear is. Not even close.

That's what people fail to realize.
It's no small difference. It's a huge chasm.

Notice how I'm not saying to not do it.
Go forth and experiment. That's great... that's how we improve things.
I'm just warning you of that chasm.

A few years ago, I started refusing to tow people with home made gear.
I like the idea of improving gear, but the lack of appreciation for the world they were stepping into didn't sit with me.
For example... flying with the new gear in mid day conditions?
Are you kidding me????

Approach it for what it is... completely untested and very experimental gear which will likely fail in new and unforseen ways as it tries it's damndest to kill you... and then we can talk.
- The only way to certify something new is to tow it ten thousand times.
- But you can't tow it because it hasn't been towed ten thousand times.
- So just use the stuff we sell you 'cause it's been towed tens of thousands of times and works almost half the time.
...I'd be worried about the stuff I implemented.
We're talking about running a string around a pulley, up through a tube, and out a hole in the top. It's pretty hard to fuck that up.
Antoine copied your barrel release design and had some issues initially.
Not by any stretch of the imagination did he copy my design. One of his issues is impossible on mine ('cause the Base runs are stitched together) and the other he had to deliberately induce and...
Zack C - 2011/07/21 12:22:09 UTC

I tried it on the releases Tad provided me and I can't do it.
...you tried it on the releases Tad provided you and couldn't do it.
...but it's hard for me to imagine what that kind of pull feels like.
- Get three two liter bottles of Coke.
- Drink a quarter of one and put it back in the bag with the others.
- Tie a string to the bag.
- Use a pulley if you wanna see what it feels like horizontal.
If I built a rope lanyard release into my glider without anything to give a mechanical advantage, could I expect any better?
With my Remote Barrel unboosted you can blow 130 with an eight pound pull. But I use a block and tackle for a two to one mechanical advantage, so half that. (Four.) ((Sorry.))
It would be nice to a) have a release I could be confident in...
Yes.
b) get rid of the draggy cable...
Yes.
c) not have to worry about velcroing and tying the damn thing to my glider every time I tow (which is actually a significant part of the time it takes me to get ready)...
Yes.
d) have an alternative to cable releases I can actually show people...
Good luck. You may do better in an environment in which there's not a lot of flight park scum around telling everybody what an asshole Tad is and to stay the hell away from his dangerous unproven equipment.
...and e) have something to show Steve Pearson when I try to convince him to build releases into their wings.
Steve will know instantly and exactly what he's looking at with my photo set.
Keep at it, Tad...you'll convince me eventually.
I won't be able to claim all the credit - I'll have a big debt of gratitude to Matt.
I've got a few other projects that take precedence right now, though (so long as I have a functioning release...).
I hesitate to mention Joe Street 'cause that'll probably work well enough to make you forget about items b, c, d, and e.

Steve,

But if we do it this way the carbon footprint is lower and everybody gets to follow along with the process and progress.
deltaman

Post by deltaman »

Antoine copied your barrel release design and had some issues initially.
Not by any stretch of the imagination did he copy my design. One of his issues is impossible on mine ('cause the Base runs are stitched together) and the other he had to deliberately induce and...
I think Zack would rather mention this:
How do you manage this to have the good L/A ratio you said ?
GET A TUBING CUTTER!!!

Are you guys still using stone tools over there? I thought all the Neanderthals came over here and started running all the flight parks, flying all the tugs, and getting elected as USHGA directors.

And then bevel out the ends of the barrel. You're using aluminum - you can do that with a good steel knife blade.

It looks like you're using the same pin and diameter tubing - your problem is undoubtedly that jagged metal cutting into your line. You can easily see where it's chewing up the sleeving.

You should be able to blow well over three times that just pulling back with two fingers.
Zack C
Site Admin

Post by Zack C »

Tad Eareckson wrote:Put a button on the end - like I did.
If I'm following you...for the design we're discussing for me, the string goes between the basetube and your hand and up through two of your fingers, the button keeps it from slipping out between the fingers, and sliding your hand inward releases as the string is pulled with it. Right?
Tad Eareckson wrote:
Zack C wrote:Dunno about that particular release, but you tested another copy pretty rigorously.
No, I didn't.
Well, you did by most release manufacturers' standards. :roll:
Tad Eareckson wrote:Cable is problematic.
You say that a lot but I don't fully understand why. The problems I've had are completely mysterious to me. Other than excessive curvature, kinks, or broken strands, what exactly causes cable to be ineffective?
Tad Eareckson wrote:
Zack C wrote:That counts for a lot, even if my particular release had never been tested at all.
Noooooooooo. It counts for NOTHING!
I don't think you understood me. I'm not saying that the fact that the testing was in-flight counts for a lot, but rather the fact that it has been 'tested' many times under realistic tow tensions counts for a lot (relative to my untested release). Yes, it would be better tested on the ground. My point is that, method aside, it's been tested infinitely better than any release I build would be UNLESS I had some way to test it on the ground (which you say is not necessary).
Tad Eareckson wrote:We're talking about running a string around a pulley, up through a tube, and out a hole in the top. It's pretty hard to fuck that up.
Leave it to me. :lol: But there's more to it than that, such as securing and tensioning the upper assembly. And can the string go straight to the assembly from the top of the downtube without any additional routing? What addresses the friction/abrasion between the string and the drilled hole (which will occur if the string isn't pulled in line with the downtube)?
deltaman wrote:I think Zack would rather mention this...
Yes, that was what I had in mind. Just sayin'...you can tell me exactly what to do, and I could still eff it up, so I feel it needs to be tested.
Tad Eareckson wrote:Steve will know instantly and exactly what he's looking at with my photo set.
Judging from people's reactions to your photos, he might be the first. :D Even if you're right, you said yourself it's a lot of work to build and he may not be interested in implementing something that complex for a limited segment of the market. Maybe showing him something easy to implement initially will have more of an impact.
Tad Eareckson wrote:
Keep at it, Tad...you'll convince me eventually.
I won't be able to claim all the credit - I'll have a big debt of gratitude to Matt.
That would have been hilarious if it wasn't so true...
Tad Eareckson wrote:I hesitate to mention Joe Street 'cause that'll probably work well enough to make you forget about items b, c, d, and e.
I've already contacted him, but if I'm sufficiently convinced this project isn't too big an undertaking for me, I may pursue it regardless.
Nobody wrote:It's your neck...
Which is precisely why I'm reluctant.

Zack