Towing Aloft

General discussion about the sport of hang gliding
Tad Eareckson

Re: Towing Aloft

Post by Tad Eareckson »

http://pagenbooks.com/products/hang_gliding/hang_gliding.htm
Dennis Pagen - 2013/04/20

TOWING ALOFT: The latest towing techniques are described in this new manual which focuses on safety.
Yeah Dennis...

- It's been over fifteen years since you published that crap and it DOES still describe most of the rot that's being being done, taught, used today - and did for a similar period prior to publication.

- It focuses on the safety of the people on the front end of the string, conducting the operations, selling the equipment, and running the national organizations.

Really appreciate the way you waded into the Zack Marzec postmortem discussion and set everybody straight on the focal point of a safe towing system so we all could understand what really happened on that one.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

Fortunately, we have good defenses against lockouts. These defenses include limiting the tow forces by using weak links and pressure gauges...
Yeah, that makes perfect sense. High line tensions reduce the pilot's ability to control the glider and...
Jerry Forburger - 1990/10

High line tensions reduce the pilot's ability to control the glider and we all know that the killer "lockout" is caused by high towline tension.
...we all know that the killer "lockout" is caused by high towline tension. People get themselves in the shit on the high tension side...

http://ozreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=30971
Zach Marzec
Jim Rooney - 2013/03/07 06:47:22 UTC

That's exactly the problem.
People get themselves in the shit on the high tension side... a stronger weaklink gives you more tension... allows for stronger whipstalls/etc.

People that are in the shit are asking for stronger gear to get further into the shit?
I'm baffled.
A stronger weaklink gives you more tension... allows for stronger whipstalls, etc.

But...
Caution: The slower you fly, the more likely lockouts are to occur. The slowest possible flying speed on tow should only be used in smooth conditions once you have gained experience tracking the towline.
...the slower you fly, the more likely lockouts are to occur.

Wow. This is really confusing. I guess that's why...
This book describes these procedures in detail for common forms of towing with safety as a guiding light. However, this book cannot be a substitute for personal expert instruction...
...we really need personal expert instruction to guide us through all the eccentricities. Personal expert instruction provided by people...
...and is intended to be an enhancement to the training situation as well as a reference manual for schools and pilots.
...using this book as a reference manual.
Zack C - 2012/06/02 02:20:45 UTC

I just cannot fathom how our sport can be so screwed up.
Steve Davy

Post by Steve Davy »

This thread is just too good to not be on the front page.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

http://www.ushpa.aero/store.asp
USHPA - Store
SHOP USHPA
Get the Goods AND Support Your Sport!

USHPA Amazon Webstore
To buy media items including:
DVDs
Books
USHPA soft shell flight jackets
Top item.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

Somebody:
- name me another book:
-- in which Dennis has cooperated or collaborated with a "coauthor"
-- Bill Bryden has written or coauthored
- quote me something from Towing Aloft that doesn't sound like it was written by Dennis
- point me to some illustrations not pencilled by Dennis
- find me another significant book from hang gliding or anywhere in conventional aviation that was coauthored

So why this glaring coauthor exception of Towing Aloft - which is pretty much just an expansion of a section of Performance Flying Dennis published all by his lonesome fifty-seven months prior?

All Dennis's other books cover nuts and bolts issues about which there are no OPINIONS and which he doesn't fuck up too badly 'cause there's not all that much that CAN BE fucked up too badly. But at the beginning of the Eighties Donnell Hewett and the USHGA assholes who swallowed him hook, line, and sinker sent the sport of hang gliding into a death spiral with the voodoo physics, Autocorrecting Skyting Bridles, Easily Reachable Releases, Infallible Weak Links, dismissals of the others' ARGUMENTS / reality... And this Towing Aloft atrocity is just an infomercial for u$hPa and its commercial towing interests - oozing with the misinformation, disinformation, contradictions, conspicuous omissions, lies, contempt for the recreational pilot that Jim Keen-Intellect Rooney would just a few years later take to their unsustainable extremes.
We suggest this manual be used as a textbook and references for all towing schools or operations.
Sounds a helluva lot less self serving than:
I suggest this manual be used as a textbook and references for all towing schools or operations.
don't it?

"We"...

http://ozreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=24846
Is this a joke ?
Jim Rooney - 2011/08/24 16:26:09 UTC

We've been doing this a long time and are quite familiar and comfortable with our processes.
Jim Rooney - 2011/08/25 04:55:25 UTC

We *might* have an idea of how this stuff works.
They *might* do well to listen.
Not that they will, mind you... cuz they *know*.
Jim Rooney - 2011/08/25 21:40:25 UTC

Tommy.
First, I sent Steve a bunch of info offline. Hopefully it clears things up a bit for him.
Unfortunately, he's stumbled onto some of Tad's old rantings and got suckered in. So most of this was just the same old story of debunking Tad's lunacy... again .

See, the thing is... "we", the people that work at and run aerotow parks, have a long track record.
This stuff isn't new, and has been slowly refined over decades.
We have done quite literally hundreds of thousands of tows.
We know what we're doing.

Sure "there's always room for improvement", but you have to realize the depth of experience you're dealing with here.
There isn't going to be some "oh gee, why didn't I think of that?" moment. The obvious answers have already been explored... at length.

Anyway...
Weaklink material... exactly what Davis said.

It's no mystery.
It's only a mystery why people choose to reinvent the wheel when we've got a proven system that works.
http://ozreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=30971
Zach Marzec
Davis Straub - 2013/02/13 15:45:22 UTC

IMHO aerotowing is relatively safe compared with foot launching. I would certainly like to make it safer. What we would all like to know is what could we do to make it safer.

We have no agreement that a stronger weaklink would make it safer (again, I fly with a slightly stronger weaklink).
http://www.ushawks.org/forum/faq.php
Frequently Asked Questions
How will the US Hawks try to be different from USHPA or the HGAA?
We believe that good decisions sometimes require a significant effort to dig into the facts. Sometimes arguments are heated, and that's not something to be feared or rejected. That's the process - painful or not - that leads to better decisions.
...is the ultimate weasel word. It's an ESSENTIAL tool for snake oil salesmen. The instant one of them goes first person singular he's totally fucked. He's gotta be constantly giving the illusion that he's speaking on behalf of a consensus of highly qualified individuals with unimpugnable expertise, authority, integrity.

There's no fuckin' way I'd ever consider coauthoring a text on towing with ANYONE 'cause I'd be saying that:
- there are some aspects of this game that are simply beyond my scope
- I really don't have the time, energy, writing skills to do this job right
- we had some disagreement on a couple of key issues so we reached and agreeable compromise
- some or all of the above

I'd happily write a CHAPTER of such a book but it would be MY NAME on the chapter and every fuckin' punctuation mark on it would be mine - along with the responsibility for it being competent and solid. And if I found total crap in other writers' chapters subsequent to publication I'd make very certain that my condemnation would be loud, widespread, and really hard to miss.

So find me a single sentence in this heap o' crap beyond "ACKNOWLEDGEMENT" on the front side of the second piece of paper under the cover which is attributed to one author or the other.

And on its flip side... "ABOUT THE AUTHORS" - Who was supposed have written those mini bios?

Here are excerpts from ALL of the relevant personal anecdote clips from the book:
Some years back, I suffered a weak link break and the ring snapped back and struck my glasses dead center in the left lens...
My first aerotow was at Kitty Hawk, North Carolina in 1983. I attended a seminar put on by Gérard Thévenot using his Cosmos trike...
As the dolly began to move, a gust lifted me into the air. I felt I didn't have enough airspeed if the gust quit and naturally reacted with a quick pull-in...
Once I launched from a dolly in fairly light conditions...
In that same year, with that same tug pilot, I was aerotowing on a turbulent day...
I witnessed a tug pilot descend low over trees...
Nowhere do we get to hear who the fuck "I" is. Possibilities...

Dennis is:
- too fucking stupid to bear in mind that he's supposed to be writing a coauthored book
- smart enough to know that if:
-- he identifies who the fuck "I" is he'll tip the reader off to the fact that it's a fake coauthored book
-- his reader base is stupid enough to swallow the crap he's peddling it'll also be so stupid that the absence of attribution will make no difference whatsoever
A friend tied a deployment system to the release of his Skyting bridle. He towed to 1600 feet, released, and the parachute entangled in his tow bridle...
A friend of WHOSE?
We have seen dual towing practiced in France as Gérard Thévenot worked on development of his kingpostless glider. He and an identically weighted pilot towed to several thousand feet and flew at the same speed for miles to see which glider stayed higher and thus had the performance edge.
Oh. You were both there at the same time. What a coincidence. (You guys gay or sumpin'?)
My first aerotow was at Kitty Hawk, North Carolina in 1983.
We know for a certainty that that was Dennis. This was actually the second weekend in the February of the next year (I was there) and Bill didn't start flying until 1985. So we can pretty safely assume that "I" is Dennis wherever it appears. Damn good bet on "We" entries as well.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/skysailingtowing/message/6124
Bridles and Releases
Bill Bryden - 2007/01/05 16:52:14 UTC

How did your design fair in a Failure Mode and Effects Analysis (FMEA) and in Failure Mode and Effects Testing (FMET)? What were the results of performance tests like those in the Appendix III of Towing Aloft?

What were the sample sizes of repeated tests and number of product samples (ie were they statistically significant)?

Just a little aside observation: I have supervised many projects and engineers over the years. Oddly, there often is a correlation between the robustness of a design and the engineer's humbleness regarding it. Others also have a sense of that relationship and it affects our thinking, makes us wary.

Have fun.
Bill
When I called that motherfucker out in my next post...
http://www.kitestrings.org/post2885.html#p2885
...on some of the bullshit in the excellent book, Towing Aloft, by Dennis Pagen and Bill Bryden he disappeared from the conversation but fast. I'm pretty sure he never posted anything anywhere ever again.

This was Bill's first and last shot at actual decency:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/skysailingtowing/message/4049
Towing errata
Bill Bryden - 2004/04/01 16:20:18 UTC

Some aerotow releases, including a few models from prominent schools, have had problems releasing under high tensions. You must VERIFY through tests that a release will work for the tensions that could possibly be encountered. You better figure at least three hundred pounds to be modestly confident.

Maybe eight to ten years ago I got several comments from people saying a popular aerotow release (with a bicycle type brake lever) would fail to release at higher tensions. I called and talked to the producer sharing the people's experiences and concerns. I inquired to what tension their releases were tested but he refused to say, just aggressively stated they never had any problems with their releases, they were fine, goodbye, click. Another person tested one and found it started getting really hard to actuate in the range of only eighty to a hundred pounds as I vaguely recall. I noticed they did modify their design but I don't know if they ever really did any engineering tests on it. You should test the release yourself or have someone you trust do it. There is only one aerotow release manufacturer whose product I'd have reasonable confidence in without verifying it myself, the Wallaby release is not it.
It FLATLY CONTRADICTS the crap in Towing Aloft:
The towline release is a critically important piece of equipment. It is the device which frees you from the towline and it must be failure-proof. Numerous designs have evolved over the years--some very good and some not so good. Unfortunately, releases are items that many pilots feel they can make at home or adapt from something they have seen at the hardware store. Two fatalities have occurred in the past 5 years directly related to failures of very poorly constructed and maintained releases. For the sake of safety, only use releases that have been designed and extensively tested by reputable manufacturers.
Find an instance of Dennis ever taking a stand against any mainstream garbage. Never do ANYTHING to risk crossing ANY commercial operator, piss all over the individual recreational pilot to the maximum extent possible.

Coauthored my ass. This book was fraudulent by the time you got to the sixth word on the front cover.

Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

In the Forbes Flatland meet in Australia (January, 1996) a pilot launched behind a trike from a dolly in gusty crosswind conditions. His left wing suddenly went down and struck the ground when he was still on the dolly and we watched the whole scene deteriorate. The glider nosed in and tumbled as the pilot and dolly flew over it. The pilot ended up dazed, the glider was pretzled, but the dolly survived intact. We learned a new meaning for the term cart-wheeling!
- Great! So the comp was being run in conditions which, for the purpose of the exercise, killed the pilot twice over. Same Safety Committee that was running the ECC on 2014/06/02 when John Claytor's career got ended?

- I thought a weak link would very clearly provide protection from excessive angles of attack, high bank turns and the like for that form of towing. He wasn't using a weak link? Did the Safety Committee have any comment on that issue?

- Pity the tug pilot didn't make a good decision in the interest of his safety. Probably hadn't been thanked enough by the people he'd intentionally released before who felt they could've ridden things out.

- Probably using a release he felt he could make at home or adapt from something he'd seen at the hardware store. Hope he learned his lesson - only to use easily reachable releases that have been designed and extensively tested by reputable manufacturers.

- Did he just freeze or think he could fix a bad thing and not wanna start over?

You're so totally full o' shit, Dennis.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

On a tow during a competition in Australia, the wind was gusty. As the dolly began to move, a gust lifted me into the air. I felt I didn't have enough airspeed if the gust quit and naturally reacted with a quick pull-in. The glider, dolly and I settled back to earth, but suddenly there was a powerful back bar pressure as the glider tried to nose in. I had to react immediately and push hard to prevent this from happening. With my hard push, the glider leaped into the air and the tow proceeded without further ado.
Cool Dennis! And just think how much extra safety margin you'd have had if your weak link had blown or your tug pilot had made a good decision in the interest of your safety.

Do you have any actual personal experiences that don't flatly contradict all the "theoretical" crap you spew in the text totally devoid of real world incident examples?
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

Weak links have greatly improved the safety of towing over the years.
Over WHAT years?

Prior to 1981 ALL gliders were towed using a bridle configuration which connected to the basetube and control frame apex which made gliders roll unstable as hell. The Infallible Weak Link wasn't very popular because there was an argument circulating that they always broke at the worst possible time, when the glider was climbing hard in a near stall situation, and that more people have been injured because of a weak link than saved by one. But then Donnell came along with his two to one center of mass bridle that autocorrected for roll and Infallible Weak Link that always broke at the BEST possible time, before you could get into too much trouble - and thus made pilot skill, control, decision making pretty much totally irrelevant.

This transition took place pretty much overnight and worldwide - control frame towing became instantly extinct and Donnell's towing through-the-pilot package included the nonnegotiable 1.0 G max Infallible Weak Link.

So how can you say that, "Weak links have greatly improved the safety of towing over the years."? You're comparing through-the-pilot bridles with Infallible Weak Links to control frame towing that was so inherently dangerous that nobody was doing it and the few people who WERE doing it were just about all doing it over water 'cause that was the only environment in which lockouts were survivable. And those people were going to great lengths to ensure that NOTHING between the front end and glider broke 'cause they'd all seen what happened when the glider was climbing hard in a near stall situation...
Dennis Pagen - 2005/01

Soon after lift-off the trike tug and I were hit by the mother of all thermals. Since I was much lighter, I rocketed up well above the tug, while the very experienced tug pilot, Neal Harris, said he was also lifted more than he had ever been in his heavy trike. I pulled in all the way, but could see that I wasn't going to come down unless something changed. I hung on and resisted the tendency to roll to the side with as strong a roll input as I could, given that the bar was at my knees. I didn't want to release, because I was so close to the ground and I knew that the glider would be in a compromised attitude. In addition, there were hangars and trees on the left, which is the way the glider was tending.

By the time we gained about sixty feet I could no longer hold the glider centered - I was probably at a twenty degree bank - so I quickly released before the lockout to the side progressed. The glider instantly whipped to the side in a wingover maneuver.
...and something broke or disconnected prematurely.

Where's your data on this claim? Or is this something you just pulled outta your ass and included 'cause it sounded good and fit in the package?

On 2013/02/02 at Quest an Infallible Weak Link very clearly provided protection from an excessive angle of attack and the lucky pro toad was inconvenienced into a tumble and died in the ambulance a short time after finishing doing what he loved.

And by about the next weekend many (all) of us had decided we were happy with a Fallible Weak Link about twice as dangerous as the one Donnell and you specified. And in the near two and a half years since there have been ZERO reports of:

- weak links very clearly providing protection from anything - including normal fully controlled tows

- any towing incident in which any mention was made of tension higher than what could be expected in a normal, controlled, successful tow to altitude in thermal conditions

The focal point of the safe towing system has been removed from the equation even more completely and effectively than Skyting Theory and Industry Standard Towing have removed the guy under the glider as Pilot In Command. If we all used thousand pound Tad-O-Links we'd see no difference whatsoever.

On top of that the VOLUME of towing - boat, truck, scooter, winch, aero, worldwide - is ASTRONOMICAL compared to what it was over the years when weak links were greatly improving the safety of towing.

So how is it even remotely possible that that statement isn't just total crap you felt like pulling out of your ass and selling to us for thirty bucks a pop?

And let's also note that with all this great improvement of the safety of towing over the years due to weak links you don't cite ONE SINGLE ACTUAL INCIDENT to support that claim. What you DO cite is idiot fucking Dennis Pagen getting his left glasses lens taken out and idiot fucking Mike Robertson getting an eye taken out by tow rings propelled by their idiot fucking elastic bridle and towline after their idiot fucking Infallible Weak Links greatly improved the safety of normal controlled tows.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

http://ozreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=43279
Concerning Dennis Pagen
Davis Straub - 2015/07/16 13:59:22 UTC

And his impending retirement

Concerned Guys<<ridgeliftguys1>> writes:
This was sent yesterday to USHPA and blind copied most of the BOD and candidates.

The USHPA BOD Has a Big Opportunity to Improve Our Representation

In about a month BOD nominations will be over and at the fall BOD meeting one of the new board's actions will be to appoint at large directors. Our representatives need to be future forward and willing to work for the sport, not old fashioned and arrogant, using the organization to sell books and get free travel via CIVL.

Dennis Pagen claims that he nearly stepped down from USHPA four years ago "but everyone begged him to stay until he achieved 40 years in hang gliding". That's not the story we heard - apparently he's offended and overruled too many people and has become even more demeaning in his anti-woman ways in both our sports. But, at the last minute in 2011, the new USHPA leadership didn't want to take him on in a pissing contest as a major issue, so they agreed he could step down in four years. It's time now - but will Dennis keep his word?

2015 - is finally the year of his "40th Anniversary" and a lot of people can hardly wait for him to retire or be retired.

Paragliding is the growth area of USHPA. While Dennis touts that he co-wrote a paragliding book, he has not flown one in ten years. And despite his assertions that a "thermal is a thermal" the skies are different for paraglider pilots. And so is today's flying world, for all pilots, HG and PG, male and female, old experienced hands and beginners.

Dennis refuses to use any modern technology - all the apps and videos that are coming out are miles ahead of his paperbacks. He teaches seminars from flip charts with a Magic Marker - really?

Dennis has also missed some key safety calls at meets in the past four years (PG and HG) so at this point it's pretty obvious he only supports his CIVL and FAI connections, not the pilots or the USHPA. So what are we losing? But, make no mistake, - he will cry "victim" at the drop of a hat and pull every trick he knows to get his position extended yet one more time. Let's keep that from happening. Our organization is not a clique. Old dog, old tricks.

And everyone has been patient. When Jamie was first made the USA CIVL delegate in 2011, she got to the international Plenary Meeting and Dennis had already arrived ahead of her and designated her the alternate U.S. delegate so he could "show her the ropes". Four years later and either she has been shown all his ropes or he never had any intention of helping her. See "Til Death Do Us Part" from the Oz Report (July 19, 2011): http://ozreport.com/15.141#4

Whether you personally like Davis Straub or not, he usually calls it like it is. Pagen has a history of saying one thing and doing another and it's likely his "four more years" promise is just a pledge he made four years ago to save his skin. Lately he's been telling people "70 is the new 40" and that makes us think he will hang on for dear life (no pun intended). It's all about control with him. He uses his USHPA appointment to bully the CIVL guys and he uses his CIVL position to make the USHPA let him overturn elections.

No one disputes that going up in a hang glider in 1975 took guts or that early on he encouraged pilots to better use an understanding of weather. Let's give him his due recognition for pioneering. But every dog has his day and his day is done. Have a "lifetime achievement" plaque made, thank him, toast his accomplishments and long service and give him a nice send off. That's better than his current "lifetime monopoly". When other countries gather he is our "chief" representative. We want Jamie instead, and more pilots like her.

This fall is the only real chance to see Dennis off gracefully. He brags about "always getting the first or second biggest number of votes" for an at large directorship at the USHPA BOD meeting and, more importantly, he watches closely to see who doesn't vote for him. So the way to accomplish this change without a lot of drama is to give him the plaque and toasting first and then everyone abstain from voting due to his "retirement". - That way he cannot single anyone out. Now is the time - we need someone whose agenda is bigger than their own ego and whose attitude is more inclusive than exclusive.

This move is long overdue. Frankly it was overdue in 2011. What did we gain by having him for four more years?

So let USHPA take the high road and facilitate positive change by thanking him and orchestrating a gold plated goodbye so that he has to honor his word. Have a party for him in Austin at the Fall BOD and present his plaque. To discuss this on the Oz Report or HG.Org, just call it "Old Dog Party". He doesn't read either one, hates Davis Straub and doesn't read what the pilots are talking about unless something becomes an "official issue" and he can issue an edict about it.

It's up to the BOD. You can't expect to have USHPA executive leadership rein in his behind the scenes maneuvering if you keep re-appointing him. If you think your responsibility is just to "help your region" then you are forgetting that you also influence who represents our sports nationally and internationally.

All you have to do is agree he deserves recognition while at the same time making room for some new representation. Let's pave the way for a bright future with new blood and team players. We've all waited long enough for the next generation to run things.

Respectfully and Patiently Submitted,
The Ridgelift Guys

Who are we? Three pilots who want to see change and know that our flying credentials will be pulled if we speak out openly. Sadly that is the kind of power and retribution we risk and we're not willing to never fly again. But we are willing to speak up and put this before USHPA BOD. And we feel there's been enough history for you as a group to want to make some changes. Just keep to the high road and remember, Dennis is the one who agreed he would step down on his 40th anniversary - so you are not forcing anything, just making sure the guy keeps his word. Do it up right and it can be a very smooth transition.
This was sent yesterday to USHPA and blind copied most of the BOD and candidates.

The USHPA BOD Has a Big Opportunity to Improve Our Representation
There's not much left for the u$hPa BOD to degrade. Maybe they're bored and we'll get lucky.
In about a month BOD nominations will be over and at the fall BOD meeting one of the new board's actions will be to appoint at large directors. Our representatives need to be future forward and willing to work for the sport...
Good freakin' luck.
...not old fashioned and arrogant, using the organization to sell books...
Fiction.
...and get free travel via CIVL.
Anything one-way available?
Dennis Pagen claims that he nearly stepped down from USHPA four years ago "but everyone begged him to stay until he achieved 40 years in hang gliding".
I know I didn't.
That's not the story we heard - apparently he's offended and overruled too many people...
Don't forget ripped off, lied about, ignored.
...and has become even more demeaning in his anti-woman ways in both our sports. But, at the last minute in 2011, the new USHPA leadership didn't want to take him on in a pissing contest as a major issue, so they agreed he could step down in four years. It's time now...
It was time decades ago.
...but will Dennis keep his word?
Dennis has never had a word good for anything.
2015 - is finally the year of his "40th Anniversary" and a lot of people can hardly wait for him to retire or be retired.

Paragliding is the growth area of USHPA.
No shit. 'Specially at Torrey.
While Dennis touts that he co-wrote a paragliding book...
Also touts that he co-wrote a hang/para glider towing book.
...he has not flown one in ten years.
He's also never towed in sync with any of the rot in his towing book.
And despite his assertions that a "thermal is a thermal" the skies are different for paraglider pilots. And so is today's flying world, for all pilots, HG and PG, male and female, old experienced hands and beginners.
...dead people of varying ages...
Dennis refuses to use any modern technology...
He told me about twenty years ago that computers were for linear thinkers. And why bother going with STRAIGHT pin releases when the bent pin jobs have such long track records.
...all the apps and videos that are coming out are miles ahead of his paperbacks.
Yeah, they tend to reflect reality a lot better than his fictional writing and fictional drawings.
He teaches seminars from flip charts with a Magic Marker - really?

Dennis has also missed some key safety calls at meets in the past four years (PG and HG) so at this point it's pretty obvious he only supports his CIVL and FAI connections, not the pilots or the USHPA.
Sure didn't support Tad in early 2009 or Bob in early 2015.
So what are we losing? But, make no mistake, - he will cry "victim" at the drop of a hat and pull every trick he knows to get his position extended yet one more time. Let's keep that from happening.
What are you gonna replace him with?
Our organization is not a clique.
Nah, it's a criminal syndicate.
Old dog, old tricks.

And everyone has been patient. When Jamie...
Fuck that thirty miles south of useless bitch.
...was first made the USA CIVL delegate in 2011, she got to the international Plenary Meeting and Dennis had already arrived ahead of her and designated her the alternate U.S. delegate so he could "show her the ropes".
Pro Tip: Always thank the tug pilot for intentionally releasing you, even if you feel you could have ridden it out. He should be given a vote of confidence that he made a good decision in the interest of your safety.
Four years later and either she has been shown all his ropes or he never had any intention of helping her. See "Til Death Do Us Part" from the Oz Report (July 19, 2011): http://ozreport.com/15.141#4

Whether you personally like Davis Straub or not...
Anybody who doesn't personally despise Davis is also a sleazy piece o' total shit.
...he usually calls it like it is.
http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=33069
Fatality @ Slide Mountain Nevada
Paul Hurless - 2015/06/29 17:19:46 UTC

What Davis Straub promotes is Davis Straub.
Suck my dick.
Pagen has a history of saying one thing and doing another and it's likely his "four more years" promise is just a pledge he made four years ago to save his skin. Lately he's been telling people "70 is the new 40" and that makes us think he will hang on for dear life (no pun intended). It's all about control with him. He uses his USHPA appointment to bully the CIVL guys and he uses his CIVL position to make the USHPA let him overturn elections.

No one disputes that going up in a hang glider in 1975 took guts...
No one? Anybody who does anything in aviation - outside of military combat missions - that requires "guts" is a total moron.
...or that early on he encouraged pilots to better use an understanding of weather.
Talk to a professional meteorologist about Dennis's Understanding of The Sky.
Let's give him his due recognition for pioneering.
Yeah. Let's. Tell me what the fuck he ever pioneered. Show me some of the gliders, equipment, procedures we owe to his early efforts. Show me a tweak he made to a release or tow system. Motherfucker won't even lift a finger to endorse anything developed by anyone outside of the US mainstream.
But every dog has his day and his day is done. Have a "lifetime achievement" plaque made, thank him, toast his accomplishments and long service and give him a nice send off.
I'm all for the send-off part.
That's better than his current "lifetime monopoly". When other countries gather he is our "chief" representative. We want Jamie instead...
I hope you're limiting the scope of that pronoun to the three of you.
...and more pilots like her.
She's not a pilot and we've already got tons of assholes like her.
This fall is the only real chance to see Dennis off gracefully. He brags about "always getting the first or second biggest number of votes" for an at large directorship at the USHPA BOD meeting and, more importantly, he watches closely to see who doesn't vote for him. So the way to accomplish this change without a lot of drama is to give him the plaque and toasting first and then everyone abstain from voting due to his "retirement". - That way he cannot single anyone out. Now is the time - we need someone whose agenda is bigger than their own ego and whose attitude is more inclusive than exclusive.
I thought agendas of any kind were totally prohibited from the sports.
This move is long overdue. Frankly it was overdue in 2011.
Frankly, it was overdue in the mid Eighties.
What did we gain by having him for four more years?
A few more needless deaths.
So let USHPA take the high road...
Yeah. Right.
...and facilitate positive change by thanking him and orchestrating a gold plated goodbye so that he has to honor his word. Have a party for him in Austin at the Fall BOD and present his plaque. To discuss this on the Oz Report or HG.Org...
Yeah, the only two shows worth talking about. And don't worry about any of the people who've had their wires cut by those two motherfuckers.
...just call it "Old Dog Party". He doesn't read either one, hates Davis Straub...
Can't be all bad.
...and doesn't read what the pilots are talking about unless something becomes an "official issue" and he can issue an edict about it.
I'd REALLY like to hear his official edicts on the Zack Marzec fatality and the New and Improved Davis Link that everyone and his dog immediately thereafter became ecstatically happy with.
It's up to the BOD. You can't expect to have USHPA executive leadership rein in his behind the scenes maneuvering if you keep re-appointing him. If you think your responsibility is just to "help your region" then you are forgetting that you also influence who represents our sports nationally and internationally.

All you have to do is agree he deserves recognition...
No problem there.
...while at the same time making room for some new representation.
Fuck anything I have to choose from.
Let's pave the way for a bright future with new blood and team players.
Fuck team players. See if we can get some competent aviators with actual principles.
We've all waited long enough for the next generation to run things.
It's doing it.
Respectfully and Patiently Submitted,
The Ridgelift Guys

Who are we? Three pilots who want to see change and know that our flying credentials will be pulled if we speak out openly.
Got that right.
Sadly that is the kind of power and retribution we risk and we're not willing to never fly again.
Don't worry, flying tends to fade to a distant memory after half a dozen years or so.
But we are willing to speak up and put this before USHPA BOD. And we feel there's been enough history for you as a group to want to make some changes. Just keep to the high road and remember, Dennis is the one who agreed he would step down on his 40th anniversary - so you are not forcing anything, just making sure the guy keeps his word.
I've never had much luck in that department.
Do it up right and it can be a very smooth transition.
Meet the new boss.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

http://ozreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=43279
Concerning Dennis Pagen
Mark G. Forbes - 2015/07/16 23:26:45 UTC

As one of those people supposedly "in the know" about all the steamy smoke-filled-room politics, I find this piece more than a little fanciful. I don't know where they're getting their information from, nor who they are, but I give it very little credence. And I told 'em so...I said that I'd give their opinion the level of consideration it deserves. I think that level is just barely above zero.

As for the silliness about worrying over being tossed out of USHPA, that's just ridiculous. Our recently-expelled former member's behavior was far beyond simple criticism, and extended over a period of many years. Citing that as a reason for cowardly anonymity is laughable.

If you want to have influence, then be willing to put your name on your words and back them up with provable facts. You don't have to guess who I am, or wonder if I'm hiding behind some fake identity. I don't have multiple personalities or pseudonyms, and I sign my name to what I write. You may disagree with what I say, and that's fine. I take criticism a lot more seriously from people who are willing to say what they think and identify themselves.
As one of those people supposedly "in the know" about all the steamy smoke-filled-room politics...
Yeah Mark. You're SUPPOSEDLY "in the know".

http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=32681
Tandem crash in LV (speculation thread)
Mark G. Forbes - 2015/03/30 23:29:59 UTC

News reports are of little use since they're written by people who have no idea how our sport works or what is typical.
Great job, by the way, in getting those news reports put in proper perspective and getting all us muppets properly squared away by letting us know just how "typical" the Kelly Harrison / Arys Moorhead was.
I find this piece more than a little fanciful.
- Oh. You FIND it to be.
- Can you put a percentage on its fancifulness? Sixty? That would be more than a little. Twenty? Ten's still a pretty good chunk.
I don't know where they're getting their information from, nor who they are, but I give it very little credence.
Well, fuck, Mark... If you don't know where they're getting their information from or who they are and give it VERY LITTLE credence then we muppets should probably give it VERY LITTLE credence too.
And I told 'em so...I said that I'd give their opinion the level of consideration it deserves. I think that level is just barely above zero.
Well then I guess I THINK I also give their OPINION - as well as their statements of FACTS - a level of consideration JUST BARELY above zero.
As for the silliness about worrying over being tossed out of USHPA, that's just ridiculous.
Yeah. Bob was tossed out for very clearly acting in a manner contrary to the Interests of the Corporation. Fuckin' HUNDREDS of pages of worth of examples.
Our recently-expelled former member's behavior was far beyond simple criticism, and extended over a period of many years.
Yeah, that too. I have no idea how you were able to tolerate it as long as you did - and restrain yourselves from citing him with any specific violations in that period of many years.
Citing that as a reason for cowardly anonymity is laughable.
Image Image Image
If you want to have influence, then be willing to put your name on your words and back them up with provable facts.
Yeah...

http://www.ushawks.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=463
Davis Straub's "Oz Report" Conflict of Interest
Bob Kuczewski - 2011/02/12 06:56:36 UTC

Without naming names (I'm curious to see if they'll own up to it first), on May 10, 2009, one Director wrote:
We need to consider getting an injunction against this guy communicating with the FAA on this subject.
That same day, another Director responded:
I forwarded the letter to Tim Herr yesterday asking about this.
For those who don't know, Tim Herr is ... USHPA's lawyer!!

A third Director (who I'll call "Mr. X") chimed in that same day with this:
Perhaps a strongly worded letter from Tim will do the trick. We can't force Tad to work within the USHPA framework but we can make it unpleasant and expensive for him if he chooses to makes derogatory and false statements about USHPA to the FAA he can't back up.
That'll work.
You don't have to guess who I am, or wonder if I'm hiding behind some fake identity.
You don't need to, Mark. You've got a highly paid corporate lawyer to hide behind.
I don't have multiple personalities or pseudonyms, and I sign my name to what I write.
And whenever there's a question that might be slightly embarrassing for you to answer you just walk out of the conversation.
You may disagree with what I say, and that's fine.
Of course. I may disagree with what you say but I will fight to the death to protect your right to say it.
I take criticism a lot more seriously from people who are willing to say what they think and identify themselves.
Suck my dick, Mark.

Sincerely,
Tad Eareckson
- 32674 - H4 - 1991/12/17 - Santos Mendoza
- AT FL PA VA AWCL CL FSL RLF TUR XC

Ya learn how to read these motherfuckers after dealing with them long enough. Sounds like Mark's dismissing this set of charges as total unfounded rubbish while in fact, by not actually refuting a single punctuation mark in the document, he's actually totally validating it as being totally rock solid.