Surface tow, foot launch release opinions.

General discussion about the sport of hang gliding
Tad Eareckson

Re: Surface tow, foot launch release opinions.

Post by Tad Eareckson »

Damn. Missed Mike - again.
...but it is not unusual for pilots to get in 6 or 7 launches throughout the day in a production line fashion.
My goal is always to get in ONE launch per day. Finally understanding that 130 pound Greenspot people are total morons went a long way towards attaining it.
Any foot launch problems turn out to be not really tow related, just poor T/Os (run & lurch).
But those disappear with rolling launches. Like I said - EXTREMELY highly idiot resistant.
For me rocket tow ups are ok, once I'm away from the ground.
With these platform launches you're well away from the ground before you have time to notice - whether you wanna be or not.
Dave Broyles - 1990/11
Allen, Texas

At first, I personally had questions about launching from a trailer rig. I wasn't worried about needing aerobatic skills because of the nearness of the basetube to the ground prior to launch. I was worried about turbulence behind the tow truck. My worries have been eliminated because trailer launching has proved itself. The vast majority of towing in our club is done from trailer rigs. The average height of the basetube mount on the trailer rigs is 24" from the ground. We have had a multitude of weak link breaks, a few early launches, etc., and have seen no safety problem even remotely related to the basetube mount height. In fact, when a weak link break occurs, the glider ends up just as high in the air as from a launch from above the truck bed. I have launched with no towline attached, a number of times and at varying speeds from my trailer rig, and have always easily been able to land on my feet. I let one inexperienced pilot with not very great flying skills launch from my trailer rig without a tow rope about twenty times. He was always able to land on his feet, even though he had wheels on his glider. As it turns out, launching at too slow a speed is easier and safer to fly out of than a weak link break at a higher speed. The nature of a weak link break on launch, or a launch with no tow rope attached at normal launch speed, is such that even with a glider trimmed to launch flat, the glider goes up much higher than it would with a tow rope on it, and in a nose-high attitude. The pilot must have proper pitch control to be safe under such circumstances, but the basetube mount height doesn't seem to be a factor.
I'm not a fan of rocket T/Os and a relatively mild T/O makes converting to prone and the first release a bit less 'twitchy'.
With platform you're prone before you start rolling - and the first release is also the last release and usually happens at a thousand feet or more - depending upon available runway.
For me to have a rocket T/O I'd first want to replace my weak-link with a bit of rope.
That's one thing those Houston guys got right. But, like Dave demonstrated...

Subjectively... This launch just FEELS good.
Zack C
Site Admin

Post by Zack C »

My turn to miss someone's post...
Tad Eareckson wrote:
Zack C wrote:
Tad Eareckson wrote:You are, by definition, doing it [first stage release] a long ways from the ground.
Not if you're using it with a payout winch, in which case the tow line angle increases very rapidly.
Not sure I understand this one. Yeah, if you're launching close to the winch. But why would you wanna do that unless you're gonna kite and pull out line in a strong wind or step tow?
'Close' and 'long ways' are relative terms, so here's the best vid I could find at the moment since a video is worth 30,000 words per second (password = 'red'):

http://vimeo.com/21138966

I stopped the camera just as the pilot was reaching for the first stage release.

Not what I would call 'close' to the ground, but not a 'long ways' either. We could lay out more line, but that would mean less runway.

Zack
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

- That's not very scary looking. That's about nine seconds after he's fully airborne.

- Even if it were a scary situation he'd just be doing pretty much the same thing a good bit less carefully.

- And he's flying the easiest of the gotta take a hand off options.

- I'm all for using runway as efficiently as possible - at both ends of the flight - and you could lay out a lot less line than that and still not have me any more concerned about Stage One.
deltaman

Post by deltaman »

Tad, I'm here too. Some friends start a school towing activity..
I had a look on their pics and video.

But before I would you to clarify the release(s) options in the different ways to be towed.
If the tow angles are staying low you can use AT equipment.
Which kind of tow is it exactly ? school training with low altitude?

0:34
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7CP-hk9ZZE

You recommend a Joe Street on the next sentence so you talk about a 2 points (glider+pilot) towing, different that the video where the release is on the ring of the line but if we use the Joe Street, what kind of release is the secondary in the 2 points option ? In france maximum load permitted is 1.6G on the tow line. Do you suggest your barrel ?

Now look at my friends:

0:45
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kC57lmyuslo

they use a 2 point as AT with a LMFP release with lanyard mounted on the basebar, student pilots at the downtubes after a foot launch.
here you can see a barrel (which type?) on hips as a secondary (if the bridle should wrap):

They use a pulley rather than a ring and have the belief that wrap possibility is zero..
Not everything to make me confortable after our exchange..

Which kind of wl do you use in this case and where ?

Thanks
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

Which kind of tow is it exactly ?
If I were going to teach somebody who REALLY wanted to learn to fly hang gliders (who, in my opinion, is the only sort of person who SHOULD be flying hang gliders) I would spend a LOT of time just having him running with the glider on flat ground and standing in a moderate breeze trimming, rolling, correcting it.

On my second day of lessons I volunteered to take the trainer back across the dunes to the shop. I had about an eight mile per hour headwind and ran and floated and turned the glider across a plateau. I cheated Kitty Hawk Kites and my fellow students out of a lot of extra airtime and experience with that exercise.

Lots of times on the dunes with some wind or at fly-ins in mountain landing fields we'd let kids grab the downtubes, put their feet on the basetube, and hang back while they floated in the wind and/or a couple of us ran with the wires. They could get a pretty good feel for pitch and roll control by moving their hips back and forth and side to side.

I guess scooter tow is pretty effective and safe for training and - in the absence of a lot of smooth wind - less work and more fun but I don't see that it's terribly necessary to learn to foot launch and I couldn't care much less about people learning to land on their feet much before they're going to be encountering situations in which they may need to. And low on tow is a lousy place to learn and practice turns.

The best idea for a foot launch tow release when you're staying at low angles - at which a bridle or line over the basetube isn't an issue - is a cable lanyard release (like Joe Street's) engaging one end of a Bridle (Link) with a Mosquito throttle control in your teeth on the other end of the cable. (And put a barrel release on the other end of the bridle.) Paul Farina has done a pretty good job of this for aerotowing a rigid wing that has major problems with a launch dolly.

But keeping new students out of air, altitude, and situations in which they NEED to release isn't a bad idea either.

When they know how to fly and want to start getting a taste of altitude I wouldn't lose much sleep dolly launching them with a Koch two stage in mild conditions and/or with lots of ribbons around.
...different that the video where the release is on the ring of the line...
Those gliders ARE towing - or at least launching - in two point mode. But the release is at a fixed point/apex on the bridle, so as soon as they're at a high enough tow angle and/or pitch attitude the top attachment slackens and they're in one point mode. But of course at medium tow angles there's not a lot of distinction anyway. And at high angles there's none whatsoever.
...but if we use the Joe street, what kind of release is the secondary in the 2 points option ?
Barrel releases can - and do - open if they come in contact with the basetube. The straight pin / narrow barrel jobs are less likely to accidentally blow than those idiot Baileys with the fat flared barrels but not immune by any means. The lower/secondary bridle WILL be in contact with the basetube. I would probably put a couple of three-string releases at my hips and use a long Bridle Link between them. (Note: The material of the three-string loop that engages the Bridle (Link) must not be of a greater diameter than the material of the bridle. (That's the phenomenon that got Shane Smith killed at the beginning of this year.)
In france maximum load permitted is 1.6G on the tow line.
Ask them why. I could live with that number but I don't want to go much below 1.5 and I'd have to do a fairly precise job with the weak link to keep us all happy. In the US it's officially 2.0 for aero. But practically it's whatever the goddam idiot tug driver says it is - 0.5 to 0.8 for a lot of us bigger folk.
Now look at my friends...
And everybody - Greg, the launch assistant, and the driver - were all POSITIVE he was hooked in when he nodded his head. Glad it worked out OK.

Me... I always like to check one last time before I give the OK to start pulling. And if I were helping someone launch or on the other end of the rope I would also insist that the pilot check before anything potentially life altering started happening.
...they use a 2 point as AT with a LMFP release with lanyard mounted on the basebar, student pilots at the downtubes after a foot launch.
1981/04/12 - Joel Lewis - 31 - Advanced - Columbia, South Carolina - Seagull, 10 Meter - Atlantic Ultralight Mini-Hill winch

Low-level lockout. Hands on downtubes, release on basetube, missed on first attempt. Hit head first.
Five months earlier we were roommates working as instructors at Kitty Hawk Kites.
here you can see a barrel (which type?) on hips as a secondary (if the bridle should wrap)...
Great. So if the bridle wraps they've got the full towline tension going directly to something that looks a lot like a curved pin barrel release.
Which kind of wl do you use in this case and where ?
I can't see and don't think there's a weak link anywhere on the glider's system so I sure hope there's something on the back end of the towline.

I'd advise configuring him just as I did Zack. But if I had to do a quick and dirty job on him I'd put a double loop of Greenspot at the top end of the primary bridle, barrel releases (any barrel releases) on both his shoulders, and double loops on both ends of the secondary bridle.
deltaman

Post by deltaman »

Mosquito throttle control in your teeth
I don't know how it works: release by biting or opening the mouth?. Seems to me hard to manage reliably while continuing to breath without drooling and bite his lips when it gets tense..
0:34
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7CP-hk9ZZE

Those gliders ARE towing - or at least launching - in two point mode. But the release is at a fixed point/apex on the bridle, so as soon as they're at a high enough tow angle and/or pitch attitude the top attachment slackens and they're in one point mode.
Why do you say it is a
fixed point on the bridle
? I don't see how it could work if there was no slide of the bridle inside a ring.. By climbing the top attachement would become more tense instead if it were the case.. I see 2 point at all stages.. help if I miss something.
The lower/secondary bridle WILL be in contact with the basetube.
Is the risk of tumbling the same as in AT by being towed by the keel as Tow don't need an important forwarded anchor?

Considering security is a no end way.. or maybe stop all activities
As I told you, they use a pulley rather than a ring and expect a zero risk to wrap... I haven't the same feeling at all.

0:45
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kC57lmyuslo

being towed by 2 point at high altitude as you can see here, put the upper part of the bridle close to the basebar. Hope the bridle never wrap around the basebar or anything on the pilot..
I would probably put a couple of three-string releases at my hips and use a long Bridle Link between them. (Note: The material of the three-string loop that engages the Bridle (Link) must not be of a greater diameter than the material of the bridle. (That's the phenomenon that got Shane Smith killed at the beginning of this year.)
I thought 3 rings were better, as pb occured with 3 strings (misconception, bad design ? nothing in the mousetrap)
In france maximum load permitted is 1.6G on the tow line.
I was talking about towing force not AT.
Ask them why
maybe a paraglider issue..
I can't see and don't think there's a weak link anywhere on the glider's system so I sure hope there's something on the back end of the towline.
they just told me using no wl at all.. (as in paragliding here in France) and I remembered not using one when I was towed by a koch. It should be enough strong to resist to the jolt at the 1st stage release? Nobody want a blow close to the ground with big angle. I thought the driver was the wl..
I'd advise configuring him just as I did Zack. But if I had to do a quick and dirty job on him I'd put a double loop of Greenspot at the top end of the primary bridle, barrel releases (any barrel releases) on both his shoulders, and double loops on both ends of the secondary bridle.
? shoulders ? you'd like to say hips.
? barrel ? you just said "a couple of 3 strings"
? double loop on both ends of the secondary ? you said long bridlelink..
different options?
When they know how to fly and want to start getting a taste of altitude I wouldn't lose much sleep dolly launching them with a Koch two stage in mild conditions and/or with lots of ribbons around.
What is the real advantage of a 2 point (glider+pilot) by towing? prevent "surpilotage" (oversteering?) ? not to manage 1st stage release?
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

...release by biting or opening...
Biting. You bite and cable is pulled - just like squeezing a bicycle brake lever. Normally that would open the throttle / increase power on your engine.
Seems to me hard to manage...
These things have been around since the Seventies when people were using the Soarmaster - the Mosquito's predecessor. They're intended to be and are used the entire time until people run out of gas.
Jim (Scruffy) LeMieux - 1979/02
Mount Clemens, Michigan

I recently witnessed an incident with a motorized glider which I felt should be brought to everyone's attention. The pilot was flying a 215 Alpha with a Soarmaster unit he had slightly modified. Rather than the mouth throttle, he had a deadman's throttle on the control bar U-tube. He would lock the throttle in a wide open position while flying in order to have his hands free. He also had a kill switch which had to be held closed for a second in order to shut down the engine. I warned him of the danger involved, should he have to abort, but he replied, "We don't abort."

After flying all day without incident, one side of the propeller let loose at the hub. The pilot was 100 to 150 feet in the air at the time. If you have ever seen the vibration caused by even a slightly out of balance prop, you can imagine the violent shaking caused by a prop with only one blade. The control bar shook so badly that the pilot could not find the throttle or kill switch. The glider was shaking so violently, he said it felt like he was being electrocuted. Fortunately, he was flying a stable and well built glider and was able to ride it down and land without damage.

The moral of the story is never use a throttle that is locked in position. No matter how uncomfortable the mouth throttle may be, it is the safest way. Also, I recommend the type of kill switch I personally use. It is a snowmobile type that has the base mounted on the control bar and a pin which pulls out to break the connection. The pin is attached to one end of a cord with the other end clipped on your sleeve. This way you need only to jerk your arm in order to kill the engine.

As I have had my flying wires break because of an out of balance prop, and I feel this latest accident could have been caused by the same thing, I can't stress strongly enough how important it is to check the balance of your prop every time you go out to fly.
It seems you also need two hands to fly a powered glider when the power is with rather than in front of you.

But we're only on tow for three or four minutes. And we're only in much danger for the first couple of hundred feet. When I use my Four-String I spit the trigger line out at about two hundred feet so I don't accidentally arm it.
By climbing the top attachement would become more tense instead if it were the case...
Oops. I massively screwed up interpreting what I was looking at and also did the geometry backwards on my mistaken assumptions.

I was trying to download it from Youtube through dialup and it would crash when I tried to watch it through afterwards. I had only been able to see it via cell phone and that wasn't helping things. Had better luck on the computer this morning.

Those guys are using Hewett Bridles. Unbelievable. The Hewett - or Skyting - Bridle is a two point bridle - pilot and keel - which is a pulley system that puts two thirds of the tension on a ring on a bridle between the pilot's hips and the remaining one third up to the glider in front of the hang point. Thirty years now and people still haven't figured out that it doesn't do anything
Is the risk of tumbling...
No, just the opposite. With the bridle pushing up on the basetube there's a tendency for the glider to nose up / stall - but that's usually manageable. But god help you if the bridle catches on something mounted on - or protruding from the ends of - the basetube. There have been several serious/fatal crashes as a consequence of that scenario.

But the original Hewett Bridle was without a doubt the most dangerous device ever deliberately put on an aircraft by someone who wasn't a terrorist. It was released from the pilot end first and - if you were lucky - through Rube Goldberg engineering the top release would be auto triggered and wouldn't smash you in the helmet (btdt) or hands and would clear the glider without tying itself to the basetube and/or flying wires. And several gliders were totaled before they hit the ground when the top connection WASN'T auto triggered.

Those guys have what looks like a really nice winch setup - but they're idiots for not matching it with a really nice Koch two stage at the more important end of the operation.
...or maybe stop all activities
I think that if we do everything right we can eliminate one hundred percent of the risk out of hang gliding - EXCEPT getting tumbled by a rogue thermal or a shear layer, and then we've still got better than a prayer with the parachute.

The Tim Martin fatality at Henson Gap a month ago was a pretty tough one. I'm not at all sure I would have fared any better myself in that situation.

But I've never heard of tow incident that couldn't have been prevented with competence at both ends of the line and good equipment.
As I told you, they use a pulley rather than a ring and expect a zero risk to wrap... I haven't the same feeling at all.
The New South Wales guys are clear here, I'll give them that. There's zero risk of a wrap but the price for that is there's a one hundred percent risk of having to take a hand off the basetube every single time you have to release. Donnell Hewett, Peter Birren, Dennis Pagen, Bill Bryden, and hang gliding culture in general dealt with that risk by defining it not to be a risk.
Doug Hildreth - 1991/06

Pilot with some tow experience was towing on a new glider which was a little small for him. Good launch, but at about fifty feet the glider nosed up, stalled, and the pilot released by letting go of the basetube with right hand. Glider did a wingover to the left and crashed into a field next to the tow road. Amazingly, there were minimal injuries.

Comment: This scenario has been reported numerous times. Obviously, the primary problem is the lack of pilot skill and experience in avoiding low-level, post-launch, nose-high stalls. The emphasis by countless reporters that the pilot lets go of the glider with his right hand to activate the release seems to indicate that we need a better hands-on way to release.

I know, I know, "If they would just do it right. Our current system is really okay." I'm just telling you what's going on in the real world. They are not doing it right and it's up to us to fix the problem. Think about it.
...being towed by 2 point at high altitude as you can see here, put the upper part of the bridle close to the basebar. Hope the bridle never wrap around the basebar or anything on the pilot...
For Greg...

- If the (upper) bridle isn't in contact with anything at the moment of release I can't see that there's really any possibility of it snagging anything.

- If the bridle is close to the basetube and pilot then the glider is - by definition - at a high tow angle and thus high altitude. It's pretty hard to get into a really dangerous situation on tow at altitude.

- With a lot of line out the proximity of the upper bridle to the pilot and glider can't change quickly.

- If the upper bridle DID tie itself to something he can solve that problem with the secondary release (or probably even a hook knife or parachute).

- This is a pretty common form of towing and I've never heard of that problem manifesting itself.

- I think they're keeping him upright and on the downtubes to keep his head away from the bridle when he's topping out.

- If I were to do that tow I'd have the primary release actuator on the basetube, rotate to prone immediately after launch, and either go back upright or probably twist my body while topping out.

- I think I mostly like the way they're doing this (and I don't say something like that about people in hang gliding very often). I think I'd opt for this over a Koch.

- But I also think they can and should be using a cart and starting him with his hand on the basetube and trigger.
I thought 3 rings were better, as pb occured with 3 strings...
- Hang gliding stole the three-ring from skydiving (Bill Booth) in about 1983.

- It was soon modified to a three-STRING because people preferred strings over rings flying back in their faces.

- If they had been really smart they'd have stopped using perlon for bridles and gone with Dacron or other low stretch materials so it wouldn't have mattered.

- As similar as they look the core principles are really quite different. Both are force reduction mechanisms but the rings are a based on a lever system and the strings are based on a pulley system.

- I believe the rings are actually a lot more efficient.

- Note that the third (big) ring is not really part of the mechanism - it's what's released by the mechanism - equivalent/analogous to our tow ring.

- The ONLY real problems with multi-strings were that they were often put together by idiots who built in obvious predictable defects. The Ron Smith I mentioned yesterday was killed (1992/09/10) because the end of the release pin was left exposed where the lanyard could and did hook over it.

- OK, there's another somewhat minor problem with multi-strings. The more strings you add to handle high loads the more you degrade the performance for light loads. Often after topping out at the end of a truck tow there isn't enough tension to blow a three string so you've got to tug it a couple of times to dump the line. One could conceive of a situation in which that could be dangerous but they don't seem to happen in real life in situations in which multi-strings are employed.

- Also... I much prefer barrels because multi-strings burn themselves a little with each use and barrels have excellent performance over a very wide range.

- But for a secondary/emergency release that can handle a lot of load and won't blow inadvertently...
I was talking about towing force not AT.
Do you mean you're not allowed to set winch tension above 1.6 Gs? If so, it seems a bit weird but I can't really see a major problem with that.
they just told me using no wl at all.. (as in paragliding here in France)
This is wacko. It's a million times LESS wacko than one G or under and a big move in the right direction but it's still wacko.

They're risking release overload and glider structural failure for NO reason. Granted, those risks may be microscopic - but there's no reason to take them. Put goddam two G weak links on everything and you're never going to seriously overload anything.
and I remembered not using one when I was towed by a koch.
Don't fly without a weak link. Get a Tost Number Eight / 200 decaNewton weak link and throw it in the bag. Or just put SOMETHING between the towline and the over/under split that goes to your Koch.
It should be enough strong to resist to the jolt at the 1st stage release?
Definitely. You're not going to die if it fails at that point but use something heavy.
Nobody want a blow close to the ground with big angle.
You must be MAD!!! The entire foundation of towing safety since 1981 has been to have a blow close to the ground at a high angle. Just read the Skyting newsletters, Towing Aloft, and the BHPA towing regulations.
I thought the driver was the wl..
The driver is your tension/thrust control regulator. The weak link is YOUR GLIDER's emergency fuse for after all control of the situation - and most hope for survival - was lost five seconds ago. But most tow operators and all (idiot) tug drivers conceive of the weak link as the driver.
shoulders ? you'd like to say hips.
I'm confused here.

When I looked at the photo:

http://hikkaduwa.free.fr/images/M_images/activites/CABANAC/120211/cab3G.jpg

I thought I was looking at aerotow because:

- the guy clipped into the glider has his secondary bridle connected to his harness fairly high and his primary bridle appears to be routed OVER his basetube; and

- the guy holding his keel has a bridle connected high on his shoulders.

But now I'm thinking this is the same operation as the Gregoire video?

Maybe the guy on the keel is going to release at a low tow angle?

If someone is staying at a low tow angle (and aero is ALWAYS at a low tow angle) go to the shoulders and use barrels.

If someone is going from a low to a high tow angle (all surface except platform) use a Koch two stage or a two point with the secondary bridle at the hips. And for secondary releases use whatever works that either doesn't come into contact with the basetube or won't have a problem if it does.
double loop on both ends of the secondary ? you said long bridlelink..
different options?
The Bridle Link is better but - in that application - we're very unlikely ever to see or read about anything in which it will make the difference between a safe tow and a crash.
What is the real advantage of a 2 point (glider+pilot) by towing? prevent "surpilotage" (oversteering?)
- The lower the tow angle the more of an advantage two point towing offers.

- At high tow angles (like platform in which the angle is high and constant) it offers no advantage whatsoever and in fact becomes problematic...
Hope the bridle never wrap around the basebar or anything on the pilot..
...as you just observed.

- At low tow angles two point doesn't prevent overcontrolling - but it does make it a whole lot less likely for people who are new and haven't gotten the feel for one point (which was the big catalyzing factor in the Holly Korzilius crash).

- The main disadvantage to one point towing at low angles is that - despite Davis's contradiction of reality - you're pulled forward more than the glider is so you're farther through the control frame than God and Wills Wing intended during certification. And that means that when you stuff the bar it's not really stuffed.

If you get blasted by a thermal shortly after launch on a payout winch or long static line that's still not a big problem (if the release lanyard isn't on your wrist, your weak link holds, and there's no idiot on the other end trying to help you out) because you can continue climbing indefinitely and ride it out.

Low on aero however...
Dennis Pagen - 2005/01

Soon after lift-off the trike tug and I were hit by the mother of all thermals. Since I was much lighter, I rocketed up well above the tug, while the very experienced tug pilot, Neal Harris, said he was also lifted more than he had ever been in his heavy trike. I pulled in all the way, but could see that I wasn't going to come down unless something changed. I hung on and resisted the tendency to roll to the side with as strong a roll input as I could, given that the bar was at my knees. I didn't want to release, because I was so close to the ground and I knew that the glider would be in a compromised attitude. In addition, there were hangars and trees on the left, which is the way the glider was tending. By the time we gained about sixty feet I could no longer hold the glider centered - I was probably at a 20-degree bank - so I quickly released before the lockout to the side progressed. The glider instantly whipped to the side in a wingover maneuver.
...it's a BIG problem because you're on a short fixed towline, the tow angle is going up fast, and there's another plane down there somewhere on the other end of the line who has a limit on how much misalignment he can take before he starts thinking about his loved ones - or, in a pinch, the wife and kids.

And it's almost certain death if you're towing behind an asshole like this:
Jim Rooney
---
I've heard it a million times before from comp pilots insisting on towing with even doubled up weaklinks (some want no weaklink). I tell them the same thing I'm telling you... suck it up. You're not the only one on the line. I didn't ask to be a test pilot. I can live with your inconvenience.

And yes, get behind me with a "strong link" and I will not tow you.
---
Whatever's going on back there, I can fix it by giving you the rope.

It's more of this crappy argument that being on tow is somehow safer than being off tow.
---
which I was for just about all of my aerotowing career.

- The higher the performance the glider the less far forward you'll be pulled but you'll never have as good a safety margin as you would two point.
not to manage 1st stage release?
I can't imagine that that has EVER been anything of a safety issue.
- You're doing it only when you're at a higher tow angle (read: with reasonable altitude).
- There's a wide window for performing the action.
- You're not going to die if you don't do it - the worst you'll suffer is limited climb.
- If an emergency release is required the stage issue is totally irrelevant.
- I've never heard of an incident relating to this issue.
deltaman

Post by deltaman »

Is the risk of tumbling the same as in AT by being towed by the keel as Tow don't need an important forwarded anchor?
I'm not sure your answer concerned surface towing by 2 points (with no Hewett system). So I try again.
In the example of Greg surface towing by 2 points (video), what happens if the release happens by the secondary and bridle wrap around the ring? What happens in this configuration by surface towing by the keel at stage 'low angle" and at stage "high angle" ? Here in surface towing the anchor is not so shifted forward as in AT.
I come back here too cause pulley was not part of a Hewett Bridles. They use a 2 point with half on the pilot half on the glider with 1 primary release and a secondary release. The pulley replaces the classic ring, that's all, and they figure that no wrap can occur.. I'm sure you re not agree with that..

Thanks for all your answers that helps me to consider the activity with more safety.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

I'm not sure your answer concerned surface towing by 2 points (with no Hewett system).
For the record...

The Hewett / Skyting / two to one bridle isn't significantly different enough in performance/effect from a one to one to be worth mentioning.
In the example of Greg surface towing by 2 points (video), what happens if the release happens by the secondary and bridle wrap around the ring?
In his case the upper tow / anchor point is either precisely at the hang point or too close to tell it's not so he'd be in reasonably good shape no matter what.

At low tow angles it would be more problematic since the pilot would:
- not have any of the tension routed through him to help with control authority; and
- be way aft of the proper position relative to the control frame.

Doable, but a decidedly bad idea. We discussed this enough on the "Weak links" thread, starting 2011/03/10, to figure out what all was going on.

At high angles you still have problem "a" but "b" - the big issue - is no longer an issue.

Hopefully there's no reason you can't blow the primary quickly enough to avoid finding out about handling and how right we got it.
Here in surface towing the anchor is not so shifted forward as in AT.
The anchor point often IS forward in aerotowing but it doesn't have to be. It can be exactly where Greg's is (or from the carabiner for a similar effect).
I'm sure you re not agree with that..
Absolutely. The pulley can reduce abrasion - which I've never seen to be an actual problem using an aluminum carabiner as a tow ring. But I'd predict that - if anything - you'd be MORE likely to have a wrap with the pulley.

Bridle design is the big factor but separation speed is another. (Characteristics of the tow ring may also figure into the equation.) Separation speed is virtually all a function of towline tension but the pulley is virtually frictionless so the glider will decelerate faster and the bridle will feed through - and whip - faster. There may not be any appreciable difference with respect to the results and I might well prefer the pulley. But nobody should make the mistake of thinking that he's bulletproof because of it.
Thanks for all your answers that helps me to consider the activity with more safety.
And thank you a thousand times over for being one of the extremely rare individuals in hang gliding who isn't openly hostile to the concepts of safety and engineering and has better than the five second attention span it takes to accomplish anything positive.

And deepest apologies for being an occupant of the same continent as the four "individuals" who replied to your post on The Jack Show.