instructors and other qualified pilot fiends

General discussion about the sport of hang gliding
Tad Eareckson

Re: instructors and other qualified pilot fiends

Post by Tad Eareckson »

http://ozreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=59569
You Should Complain, That'll Help
Steve Kroop - 2019/05/02 11:47:33 UTC

I have been listening to the USHPA bashing and scapegoating that has been going on and it makes me think of one of my favorite sayings, You Should Complain, That'll Help.

People complain about USHPA like it is some external force that has been forced upon us, however, in reality it is comprised exclusively of members and democratically elected directors who are simply members that have chosen to volunteer their time and often money, with the goal of benefitting the sport.

There has been much discussion about how the decline in hang gliding is due to the association placing undue burdens on instructors This line of reasoning does not make sense since (1) paragliding is not declining even though it is governed by the same USHPA and (2) hang gliding is declining worldwide where USHPA is not a factor. Additionally, it has been pointed out that hang gliding has been declining for 40 years. I hope the inference of that statistic is not to suggest that we should go back to way we did things 40 years ago. On the other hand, if the inference is that USHPA is responsible for the 40 year decline, then that should suggest support in favor of changing USHPA governance which does not seem to be the case.

With regard to the "burdens" that USHPA places on instruction, is it really the argument that a few day instructor clinic, minimal apprenticeship time, minimal understanding of first aid, minimal risk-management and carrying liability insurance is too much to ask for an activity that can seriously injure or cause the death of the participant? Seriously?!? Is there a successful instructional business that poses the same risk to the participant and the landowner where the activity occurs, that has such minimal requirements?!

The decline of hang gliding is a sad thing and the sense of loss is exacerbated by our affinity for the activity. We think because we love it, so many others will love it, too. However, when reality does not coincide with what we believe, scapegoating the USHPA is not only naive, it is counterproductive since it focuses our energy on "fixing" something that at best has a minimal effect on participation and away from the complex factors that are actually causing the decline.

I suggest that it would be far more productive for any available effort and energy to be focused on the development of concrete and actionable proposals to revitalize hang gliding rather than blaming the honest efforts of those that, for better or worse, are actually committing their time, effort and money to helping. Better still, stand up and offer to serve.
I have been listening to the USHPA bashing and scapegoating that has been going on...
In...

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/skysailingtowing/message/4633
Weaklinks and aerotowing (ONLY)
Steve Kroop - 2005/02/10 04:50:59 UTC

I have been reading the weak link discussion in the Oz Report with quiet amusement.
...quiet amusement, motherfucker? How quietly amused are you about weak link discussions now? No, wait... Nobody dares breathe a word about weak links - in any capacity - nowadays.
...and it makes me think...
You sure? I've never seen any evidence of anything making you think before.
...of one of my favorite sayings...
This...

http://ozreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=31052
Poll on weaklinks
Jim Rooney - 2013/03/03 19:37:19 UTC

My response is short because I've been saying it for years... and yes, I'm a bit sick of it.
This is a very old horse and has been beaten to death time and time again... by a very vocal minority.

A fun saying that I picked up... Some people listen with the intent of understanding. Others with the intent of responding.
I like that.
...one?
You Should Complain, That'll Help.
I agree. We SHOULD be shutting the fuck up through all the u$hPa generated death and destruction. Just maintaining friendly atmosphere coffee shop chitchat.
People complain about USHPA like it is some external force that has been forced upon us...
Can't imagine why anyone would do that. What's your take?
...however, in reality it is comprised exclusively of members and democratically elected directors who are simply members that have chosen to volunteer their time and often money, with the goal of benefitting the sport.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TUGS/message/1184
aerotow instruction was Re: Tug Rates
Larry Jorgensen - 2011/02/17 13:37:47 UTC

It did not come from the FAA, it came from a USHPA Towing Committee made up of three large aerotow operations that do tandems for hire.

Appalling.
There has been much discussion about how the decline in hang gliding is due to the association placing undue burdens on instructors This line of reasoning does not make sense since (1) paragliding is not declining even though it is governed by the same USHPA and (2) hang gliding is declining worldwide where USHPA is not a factor.
- Nice job on proofreading prior to publication.
- Suck my dick. Most of the rest of the planet follows what the US does with the sport.
Additionally, it has been pointed out that hang gliding has been declining for 40 years.
It's been run by bigger and bigger sleazebags and morons for forty years. And they keep getting better and better at what they do.
I hope the inference of that statistic is not to suggest that we should go back to way we did things 40 years ago.
How 'bout we go back to...
Manned Kiting
The Basic Handbook of Tow Launched Hang Gliding
Daniel F. Poynter

"A bad flyer won't hurt a pin man but a bad pin man can kill a flyer." - Bill Bennett
"Never take your hands off the bar." - Tom Peghiny
"The greatest dangers are a rope break or a premature release." - Richard Johnson
...45 years?
On the other hand, if the inference is that USHPA is responsible for the 40 year decline, then that should suggest support in favor of changing USHPA governance which does not seem to be the case.
- Right. It's just HANG glider people who get to vote.
- The vast majority of u$hPa member dickheads didn't bother to vote one way or the other.
- Changing u$hPa governance can only mean concentrating more power in fewer hands.
With regard to the "burdens" that USHPA places on instruction, is it really the argument that a few day instructor clinic...
Traveling hundreds of miles to few day instructor clinics that don't exist anymore and are conducted by major dickheads when they do.
...minimal apprenticeship time...
Wow, that sounds really useful. How come we never seem to hear about any of the real gems our instructors have picked up with these experiences?
...minimal understanding of first aid...
Bullshit. You don't have to minimally understand it. You have to take a Red Cross course, demonstrate knowledge and skills, pass tests, get certified.

And how much good has any of that crap been doing? "Well, the bad news is that I was too crappy of a hang gliding instructor to prevent from turning back into the hill and slamming in. But the good news is that I was able to very competently administer CPR until the guys arrived in the chopper and pronounced you dead.
...minimal risk-management...
Minimal risk management and zero aeronautical competence... Can't wait to start taking lessons from one of these guys.
...and carrying liability insurance...
Homemade liability insurance - since the insurance industry guys started looking at the great job we were doing at managing risk. (See above about the first responder stuff.)
...is too much to ask for an activity that can seriously injure or cause the death of the participant?
- Can and does. All the fuckin' time. Anybody hear how Quest 2019/04/10 is doing? I'm guessing he had a full and speedy recovery. And I'm betting we'll be getting a really solid and detailed accident report any day now. Lots more stuff we all can learn from, use to develop even better risk mitigation plans.

- You assholes have the slightest shred of data to indicate that any of what you're doing is more effective than just letting individuals learn and fly any way they can and want?
Seriously?!?
Yeah - SERIOUSLY.
Is there a successful instructional business that poses the same risk to the participant and the landowner where the activity occurs, that has such minimal requirements?!
Sorry Steve, it's really hard to even begin to figure out how to answer that question when any student crashes that actually get reported are reported by the businesses responsible for the crashes and anything that makes it to u$hPa gets shredded by Tim Herr within twenty minutes of delivery.
The decline of hang gliding is a sad thing and the sense of loss is exacerbated by our affinity for the activity.
"OUR" affinity for the activity? Gimme some links to some discussions in which YOU've gotten involved...

http://ozreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=24846
Is this a joke ?
Jim Rooney - 2011/08/25 04:55:25 UTC

It always amazes to hear know it all pilots arguing with the professional pilots.
I mean seriously, this is our job.
We do more tows in a day than they do in a month (year for most).

We *might* have an idea of how this stuff works.
They *might* do well to listen.
Not that they will, mind you... cuz they *know*.

I mean seriously... ridgerodent's going to inform me as to what Kroop has to say on this? Seriously? Steve's a good friend of mine. I've worked at Quest with him. We've had this discussion ... IN PERSON. And many other ones that get misunderstood by the general public. It's laughable.
...to help get things set on right tracks.
We think because we love it, so many others will love it, too.
If assholes like you are tolerated in it then I hate it.
However, when reality does not coincide with what we believe...
You mean like:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-bRrpHNa68iY/UQ6Pv9gRZyI/AAAAAAAAjTg/Hc22bx5122Q/s2048/20943781_BG1.jpg
...scapegoating the USHPA is not only naive, it is counterproductive since it focuses our energy on "fixing" something that at best has a minimal effect on participation and away from the complex factors that are actually causing the decline.
Yeah, the buck always stops somewhere else.
I suggest that it would be far more productive for any available effort and energy to be focused...
...on the development of concrete and actionable proposals to revitalize hang gliding...
- Name something by way of an example.

- I tried to do that over a decade ago. I tried to get aerotowing under control of competent hang glider pilots and out from under control of off-the-scale stupid ultralight drivers...

http://www.chgpa.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3600
Weak link question
Jim Rooney - 2008/11/24 05:18:15 UTC

Well, I'm assuming there was some guff about the tug pilot's right of refusal?
Gee, didn't think we'd have to delve into "pilot in command"... I figured that one's pretty well understood in a flying community.

It's quite simple.
The tug is a certified aircraft... the glider is an unpowered ultralight vehicle. The tug pilot is the pilot in command. You are a passenger. You have the same rights and responsibilities as a skydiver.
It's a bitter pill I'm sure, but there you have it.

BTW, if you think I'm just spouting theory here, I've personally refused to tow a flight park owner over this very issue. I didn't want to clash, but I wasn't towing him. Yup, he wanted to tow with a doubled up weaklink. He eventually towed (behind me) with a single and sorry to disappoint any drama mongers, we're still friends. And lone gun crazy Rooney? Ten other tow pilots turned him down that day for the same reason.
...precision fishing line, tow mast breakaways, tow mast breakaway protectors, easily reachable releases and guess how well that went over.
...rather than blaming the honest efforts...
What the fuck does a Flight Park Mafia sleazebag such as yourself know about honesty?
...of those that, for better or worse, are actually committing their time, effort and money to helping.
Better for whom and worse for whom?
Better still, stand up and offer to serve.
I've done that over here, Steve. But my rule of thumb has become that pretty much anything that's bad for u$hPa is a good thing for anything that might be left of hang gliding.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

http://ozreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=59569
You Should Complain, That'll Help
Jeff Roberson - 2019/05/08 13:21:48 UTC

It about what is easiest to learn

The decline in HG is due to the advent of PG.

Same thing happened with Skiing when the Snowboarders showed up.

Same thing happened with RC helicopters when the quads/multirotors/drones showed up.

When some new prospective pilot shows up at the hill and sees both HG and PG pilots coming in to land, they look at the PGs and say to themselves: "I think I could do that!"

I think its as simple as that. Potential new pilots entering the sport know nothing about USHGA politics.
Davis Straub - 2019/05/08 23:39:33 UTC

Yep, act helpless, that'll help.
When you could be doing proactive stuff - locking, basementing, deleting threads; threatening and banning people you don't want anyone to hear, sabotaging equipment you don't want replacing the easily stowed bent pin shit you market...
Steve Pearson - 2019/05/09 00:10:32 UTC

Re: It about what is easiest to learn

These comments are misinformed and useless. Hang gliding has been in decline for 40 years and at pretty much the same rate as the last 20 years with PG in the scene except for the last few years. The point is that the rate of decline has been precipitously steeper since additional costs and administrative burdens associated with the insurance were applied to schools and instructors. This isn't idle speculation--this is counting schools and talking to those who closed.
These comments are misinformed and useless.
Yeah? Let's take a look...
When some new prospective pilot shows up at the hill and sees both HG and PG pilots coming in to land, they look at the PGs and say to themselves: "I think I could do that!"
Gil Dodgen - 1995/01

All of this reminds me of a comment Mike Meier made when he was learning to fly sailplanes. He mentioned how easy it was to land a sailplane (with spoilers for glide-path control and wheels), and then said, "If other aircraft were as difficult to land as hang gliders no one would fly them."
http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=22176
Paragliding Collapses
Jim Rooney - 2011/06/12 13:57:58 UTC

Most common HG injury... spiral fracture of the humerus.
http://ozreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=27086
Steve Pearson on landings
Steve Pearson - 2012/03/28 23:26:05 UTC

I can't control the glider in strong air with my hands at shoulder or ear height and I'd rather land on my belly with my hands on the basetube than get turned downwind.
http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=28835
Why I don't paraglide
Tom Emery - 2013/04/17 14:29:12 UTC

Been flying Crestline about a year now. I've seen more bent aluminum than twisted risers. Every time another hang pounds in, Steven, the resident PG master, just rolls his eyes and says something like, "And you guys think hang gliding is safer."
Hang gliding has been in decline for 40 years...
And how long has Wills Wing been selling gliders with owner's manuals illustrating this:

lunatic bullshit as the only safe and acceptable method of landing one of your HGMA certified aircraft?
...and at pretty much the same rate as the last 20 years with PG in the scene except for the last few years. The point is that the rate of decline has been precipitously steeper since additional costs and administrative burdens associated with the insurance were applied to schools and instructors.
Maybe largely as a consequence of...

http://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5788/23461251751_e98b9c7500_o.png

http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=32673
This is terrible
Dave Pendzick - 2015/03/30 17:42:41 UTC

This is not going to end well for us...
...one of your customers...
It has not been designed to be motorized, tethered, or towed.
...motorizing, towing, tethering one of your gliders four hundred feet straight down to impact on a dry lakebed.
This isn't idle speculation...
Perish the thought.
...this is counting schools and talking to those who closed.
- So it's informed speculation.

- Maybe you should be talking to some of the people who were getting thrown out of local coffee shops for screaming about the bullshit these now closed...

http://c2.staticflickr.com/4/3931/33514237086_55665b6f1e_o.png

...operators were pulling.
Steve Davy

Post by Steve Davy »

Steve Pearson - 2019/05/09 00:10:32 UTC

Re: It about what is easiest to learn

These comments are misinformed and useless. Hang gliding has been in decline for 40 years and at pretty much the same rate as the last 20 years with PG in the scene except for the last few years. The point is that the rate of decline has been precipitously steeper since additional costs and administrative burdens associated with the insurance were applied to schools and instructors. This isn't idle speculation--this is counting schools and talking to those who closed.
Odd that Steve doesn't say anything about the big three poisons to "this" sport.

http://www.hanggliding.org/wiki/HG_ORG_Mission_Statement
HangGliding.Org Rules and Policies
No posts or links about Bob K, Scott C Wise, Tad Eareckson and related people, or their material. ALL SUCH POSTS WILL BE IMMEDIATELY DELETED. These people are poison to this sport and are permanently banned from this site in every possible way imaginable.
Oh, now I see that the "These people are poison to this sport and are permanently banned from this site in every possible way imaginable." part has been deleted.

So are these people still poison to "this" sport or not? I'm so confused!
Steve Davy

Post by Steve Davy »

And now I see that Tiki has a little something to say:

http://ozreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=59671
Tiki critiques the USHPA

I figure that the folks that care about the future of "this" sport need to get it in gear and start doing a LOT more of the same things and expecting a LOT better results. :lol:
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

And your last post was Number 1776 in this Fiends thread - for whatever that's worth. Yeah, this is a revolutionary war alright - but it's pretty much all total douchebags in conflict with other total douchebags. If that weren't the case there'd be tons of participants aligning with Kite Strings. But yes, that's all it is and forever will be - doing a LOT more of the same things and expecting a LOT better results.

Tiki whistle blow... Just when you're thinking you can't get any more stunned.

Jack... The version he now wants people to see:
* No posts or links about Bob K, Scott C Wise, Tad Eareckson and related people, or their material. ALL SUCH POSTS WILL BE IMMEDIATELY DELETED.
And, I believe, the previous version he's found he actually doesn't want anybody to see.
* No posts or links about the toxic Bob Kuczewski, Scott C Wise, Tad Eareckson and related people, or their material or organizations. ALL SUCH POSTS WILL BE IMMEDIATELY DELETED. These people are poison to this sport and are permanently banned from this site in every possible way imaginable. They have been banned over and over again by multiple websites and organizations. Bob Kuczewski even holds the title as the only regional director, in history, to be forcibly REMOVED from office by the United States Hang Gliding & Paragliding Association. Bob was then even expelled from U.S.H.P.A. for his misdeeds. Bob Kuczewski even requested that I change peoples votes (ELECTION RIGGING) during an election in a newly formed hang gliding organization. This would have been a felony in an american election. If it is suspected you are working on behalf of Bob or his organization, you may be immediately banned. Bob consistently manipulates people to push his agenda here. Do not act as a proxy for toxic Bob Kuczewski. Don't even try it. Lot's of people are watching and report these Bob games to me.
Bob is a serial harasser, and has been arrested twice, possibly thee times now for his harassment at Torrey Pines. Avoid at all costs. Bob has libeled me for many years since being democratically voted out of the Hang Gliding Association of America (HGAA). The absolute worst, petty, case of sour grapes you have ever seen. He is now obsessed with attacking me for almost a decade. His constant lies and delusions have no place in this sport. WARNING: Do not attack Bob unless you are prepared to be libeled forever. Bob has a history of turning on his friends that disagree with him and harassing them too. Read more about his endless harassment of people below.

FORMER DIRECTOR AT USHPA COMMENTS ON BOB KUCZEWSKI

I am not at liberty to discuss all of the reasons behind his expulsion, but let it suffice that his intentional, deliberate actions caused significant harm to our association and its members, and directly caused significant expense which we all pay for through increased dues. He was disruptive, defiant and unapologetic about his actions. He was given every opportunity to change his behavior. He chose instead to become even more belligerent. And after due consideration, the USHPA board decided that his actions had made him an unacceptable liability to our association, and revoked his membership.

Mark G. Forbes
Former Director of the United States Hang Gliding & Paragliding Association

More on Bob Kuczewski's toxic history

(c)HangGliding.org
And good freakin' luck getting in to see:
More on Bob Kuczewski's toxic history
even as a logged in Member In Good Standing of the worlds largest hang gliding community.

The more you mainstreamer douchebags don't want anybody to see something the easier we're gonna make it for people to see it. And we know, well beforehand, exactly what'll eventually gonna be the stuff you won't want anybody to see - everything you mainstreamer douchebags have ever written about Infallible Standard Aerotow Weak Links for example.
HangGliding.Org's Mission Statement

* To actively promote the sport of HANG GLIDING
* To actively market and position the sport of HG in the recreational/sporting market place
* To provide a friendly and positive, approachable community for people interested in the sport of HG.
* To provide a friendly community for Hang Glider pilots to hang out and discuss hang gliding
* To provide online resources to potential pilots and hang glider pilots
Really striking out on all that bullshit, ain't ya Jack? All you've done is gutted your shit excuse for a forum, made it substance less, boring, irrelevant.
2019 HangGliding.Org Simplified Rules and Policies
Keep on simplifying, Jack.

http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=11497
Aerotow release options?
Paul Hurless - 2009/05/01 16:35:30 UTC

Adding more parts like pulleys and internally routed components makes it that much more likely that a device will fail. Simple is best.
Always works best. And I can hardly wait to see your 2020 HangGliding.Org Simplified Rules and Policies - along with the corresponding improvements in participation, activity level, posting quality.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvhzoVC1UqM
Simple Progression for Teaching Hang Gliding
Ryan Voight - 2015/02/22

As with all hang gliding...

050-15900
http://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1525/26142970320_9ed1b0d1f3_o.png

...it's important to encourage a light touch.

069-25104
http://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1572/26142964830_289bc3f2cb_o.png
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

Ryan Voight - 2015/02/22

As with all hang gliding, it's important to encourage a light touch.
And yet...

http://www.willswing.com/hang-gliders/falcon-4/
Falcon 4 - Wills Wing
Falcon 4

The Falcon 4 represents twenty years of cumulative refinement of the most popular and successful glider in Wills Wing's history. Since 1994, the Falcon series of gliders have represented the most accessible, stress-free soaring performance available in hang gliding, and have helped to introduce an entire generation of new pilots to the sport.

What's New

Updates on the Falcon 4 include a new sail cut and new sail panel layout, improved lateral stability at higher speeds and under aero tow conditions, and the option for the glider to be built with a Litestream Control bar for an extra $275. The Falcon 4 comes standard with an airframe that breaks down to shipping length, but is not short-packable into the 2 meter length. The short-packable airframe is an available option on the Falcon 4 for an extra $250. The 195 size features an extra batten for improved airfoil definition, and, on the standard airframe, a smaller diameter crossbar for reduced drag and improved performance. The Falcon 4 is currently available in the 145, 170 and 195 sizes and the Falcon 4 Tandem at this page.

Falcon 4 Performance

Less than ten days after the first production Falcon 3's left the factory, a demo Falcon 3 170 had been flown 205 miles by Davis Straub for a new single surface cross-country world distance record. The Falcon 4 carries forward the tradition of exceptional effective soaring performance of the Falcon line, by providing an unmatched combination of relaxed and responsive handling with exceptional climb rate and low speed glide. For developing pilots, this is a glider that will allow you to have longer flights more often, and as a result will help you improve your flying skills more rapidly. For experienced pilots, the Falcon 4 will remind you of just how simple and how enjoyable soaring flight can be.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nsnlF7fJYE

Ready to order? Contact your local Wills Wing dealer!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nsnlF7fJYE
Falcon 4 Fun!
FLYWillsWing - 2015/01/28

Some winter fun flying Wills Wing Falcon 4 hang gliders and Wills Wing FlyLite 3 cocoon harnesses.
Site is Ellenville Flight Park, in Ellenville, NY
Pilots are Ryan and Paul Voight/Fly High Hang Gliding http://www.flyhighhg.com
http://www.willswing.com/t3/
T3 - Wills Wing
The Wills Wing T3

A Breakthrough In Competition Class Handling and Performance

The outstanding design feature on the T3 is a new system of bearings in the wingtips that provides an extraordinary improvement in handling and control authority. With the bearing tips, control response at VG full tight is comparable to a conventional airframe T2C at VG 50%. The result is a dramatic increase in effective performance.

BEARING TIPS

The majority of time in competition or serious cross country flying is spent either in climb or racing to the next thermal at speeds well above best glide speed. Climb performance depends on the ability to maintain precise and consistent control at low speeds. In the past this has meant settling for a looser than optimum VG setting, but with the T3's bearing tips, you can climb effectively with significantly more VG. Between thermals, where tighter VG settings are critical to obtain the best glide performance at speeds 50% higher than best glide speed, precise and reliable control is critical to avoiding performance destroying excursions in yaw or roll caused by convective turbulence. The reduced pilot workload from the enhanced handling response is also important in maintaining optimum pilot performance over long tasks.

The first two T3s were introduced at the 2019 Governador Valadares meet in Brazil by Filippo Oppici and Alvaro Figueiredo Sandoli (Nene). Filippo took the podium in first place and Nene was close behind in third against a strong international field. A few weeks later, more T3s debuted at the first week of the 2019 US Nationals in Florida. Although we missed the top podium position, T3s took 2nd through 5th, including 3 of 4 day wins, 7 of the top 10 places, and the only 2 gliders in goal on the longest 247 km task. In the second week of the US Nationals, T3 pilots finished 1st, 2nd and 3rd, so altogether 7 of 9 possible podium positions in the first 3 meets after the first 2 T3s were released.

New Features

All T3s feature a system of bearings integrated into the tip wand receptacles. This configuration provides a significant improvement in handling and control authority that is especially and increasingly evident as more VG is applied. At any VG setting, you don't have to plan as far ahead to initiate a turn which allows you to work small scraps of lift more effectively. This extra control pays dividends whenever absolute authority and precision is a priority like landing in turbulent conditions.

The wand receptacle assembly is also extraordinarily effective for fine-tuning lateral and longitudinal trim characteristics so it's quick and easy to correct a turn, adjust roll stability or change VG-related transient trim speeds.

Climb performance is unquestionably improved compared to the T2C. The ability to fly slower, with more precise control and more VG activated consistently produces superior climb rates. With full VG on glide, you are unlikely to get overpowered by rough air. The extra flexibility in the outboard wing helps performance throughout the speed range because the sail adapts more effectively to the lift distribution throughout the wide angle of attack range from stall to Vd and because you can control the glider precisely without inducing unwanted yaw excursions.

Redesigned and Refined Sail

The sail has been through refinements to the fit and finish, to the planform shape, and with a new panel layout and bottom surface color pattern. You can chose bottom surface colors for 4 graphic elements—perimeter forward of the W, the W, the central area behind the W and the large panel which is also available in UVP2LX clear-black laminate. All T3s include UV-film laminate top surface. T3 Race and Team editions include Technora laminates with carbon reinforcement on the top surface to prevent any stretch or deformation at the tightest VG settings. The laminate 'window' bottom surface option is also included with Race and Team editions. Check out your options with the T3 color-picker.

Carbon Fiber Raked Tips

All T3s are configured with raked tips. Raked tips improve performance at low speeds by effectively increasing span and reducing induced drag. They also improve stall behavior and control authority at high angles of attack, especially while thermalling, by mitigating stall propagation over the wingtips.

ACLER - Advanced Composite Leading Edge Reinforcement

The new composite leading edge inserts are made from high-temp carbon fiber pre-preg and are produced at Wills Wing in high-pressure closed aluminum molds. They precisely fit the leading edge airfoil curvature and have additional geometric features to make them stiffer than simple carbon sheets. Compared to conventional inserts, these inserts are longer, lighter, don't compromise the handling and support the leading edge panel far more effectively at higher speeds. ACLER inserts are standard on the Team Edition and optional on other trim levels.

Carbon Fiber Over-molded Battens

Our carbon fiber over-molded battens are produced in-house and are available for the longest 4 battens which are most subject to destabilizing and performance-robbing deformation in high-speed glides. The unidirectional carbon fiber adds only 20 grams of weight per batten but increases the strength and stiffness by a factor of 3. Carbon reinforced battens are standard on the Team Edition and optional on lower trim levels.
All that emphasis on handling and handling/performance tradeoffs... Why do you think that is, given that all you need are light touches to control any glider in any circumstances? Or maybe the problem's just with all those earlier gliders - the ones that aren't Falcon 4s and T3s.

http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=25536
Whoops! Snapped another tip wand :-O
NMERider - 2012/03/14 15:17:14 UTC

When I come in on many of these flights with sloppy landings, I am often physically and mentally exhausted. That means fatigued to the max. Many times I can't even lift my glider and harness, I'm so pooped.

This is the price of flying real X/C. I have seen many great pilot come in an land on record-setting flights and they literally just flying into the ground and pound in. I kid you not.

None of this is any excuse mind you. There has to be a methodology for preparing to land safely and cleanly while exhausted. This is NOT something I have worked on.
Just work on flying with a lighter touch. That way you won't be physically exhausted. And if you're not physically exhausted you're way less likely to be mentally exhausted.

http://ozreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=27086
Steve Pearson on landings
Steve Pearson - 2012/03/28 23:26:05 UTC

I wouldn't presume to teach others how to land but for me the challenge is having precise control of the glider before flare. The flare window is really long on a T2, maybe 2 seconds or 50 ft, but I can't initiate pitch unless the wings are level and the glider isn't yawed (you can see the result in the landing video, I start thinking about avoiding Joe, the glider yaws almost imperceptibly and I drop a wing). Landing straight is easy in smooth or dead air but sometimes requires every bit of control authority that I can manage if the LZ is breaking off or if I have to maneuver late on approach. I always have plenty of pitch authority and don't grip the downtubes because it only takes a light push to get the nose up. I can't control the glider in strong air with my hands at shoulder or ear height and I'd rather land on my belly with my hands on the basetube than get turned downwind.
You could certainly control the glider in strong air with your hands at shoulder or ear height if you'd just learn to use the same light touch for roll control that you do for pitch...

015-03014
http://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1632/26037938763_148dd85fb8_o.png
http://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1464/26615010786_cfe9c05fd6_o.png
016-03115

See? Just your fingertips on the outsides of your control tubes about a third of the way up. That's all you'll ever need. You'll be amazed at how well it works. (And don't be alarmed by the fact that the last student of that instructor of Ryan's on the nose got killed instantly by a scooter tow lockout. (Probably using a Tad-O-Link that didn't break when it was supposed to anyway.))

18-3003
17-1821
http://c1.staticflickr.com/1/962/40373978690_9aef9ff7ca_o.png
05-215
http://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7406/12980976575_d4a5b08283_o.png
http://c2.staticflickr.com/4/3141/12981414774_e6ddd85c13_o.png
15-413
119-083237
http://c1.staticflickr.com/1/942/40764720725_f8667740e7_o.png
Imagehttp://2.bp.blogspot.com/-9Ek9_lFeSII/UZ4KuB0MUSI/AAAAAAAAGyU/eWfhGo4QeqY/s1024/GOPR5278.JPG

See? It's always the guys with both hands death gripping the control tubes connector bar way over and torqueing the hell outta things that are having the problems. Compare/Contrast with Ryan's Fly High Hang Gliding student. Relaxed, the lightest of touches, doing fine. I rest my case.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

http://ozreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=59671
Tiki critiques the USHPA
Ryan Voight - 2019/05/14 2:28:43 UTC

The answer I think you're looking for is that it cost next-to-nothing... a day or two of filming, with help from a bud, and several hours of editing. It was produced using camera and production equipment I already possessed, so I guess that doesn't count. My Bachelors degree is in video production, but that probably doesn't count either.

Then there's the real cost. I learned to fly, and teach flying, because it's what my dad did... and he was a stay-at-home dad with me at the same time, so I spent a lot of time on training hills, hearing ground schools, sitting through instructor certification clinics. Hang gliding was all around me, always... and as I grew older I only chose to make it worse. I became an instructor. I moved to Utah and opened/ran my own school. I studied, sought deeper understanding. Took on more and more mentors, sometimes traveling great distances to connect (or hiring them to travel to me).

Where I'm going with this is, I would say the cost of making that video was the first 30 years of my life. I got really good at flying, and developed a deep understanding of the art of instruction- with massive awakening of how wrong we were (still are) doing it in hang gliding. Those first 30 years left me with no career path, no way to support a family, and no resume to speak of. I'd like to believe it wasn't a waste, but... get this...

I made this video to highlight a couple things in particular. The biggest and most important to me is we need to be teaching people how to land BEFORE putting them in the air. That might sound funny, but look at any school. ANY one. They're either having students fly until the ground comes up and calling it wheel landing, or they're trying to have students put together a launch, control straight ahead flight, and figure out the whole flare (flare and run) thing, simultaneously. It's disgustingly wrong.

I brought that 5 minute video to the USHPA Board, and wanted to give it to them for free, to be shown in all instructor certification training clinics. After some discussion it was decided the idea was great, but not everyone loved THIS specific progression. I tried repeatedly to explain the video is meant to endorse teaching using A progression, and I/it made no claim that was THE progression to be used. Deaf ears. Instead, a budget is approved to do a re-write and produce mostly the same thing for USHPA. Which we did (with MUCH interference from the office staff!). Have you seen it? Where did it go ?!?! That *would* be an excellent example of something the Executive Director should know (and should have followed through with).

I believe ADAMANTLY that the failings of the sport to thrive are almost entirely due to poor instruction techniques and practices. Everyone is teaching the way they were taught, and it's such a busy scramble there's no opportunity to reevaluate a better way. There were TWO new pilot deaths that shook me to my core, and the only good to come of them was what it opened my eyes to (how poor instruction is, how much students struggle, and why so many don't stick with it). But even with all the views on YT... the right people don't want to hear it. They don't see the problems I see, and so they're unmotivated to change. I understand, but I hate it. I moved on, I'm done teaching, and very done trying to help USHPA. Hang gliding isn't even that big a part of my life anymore... I sold my T2, and just have one glider now, a Falcon. Saturday was my second flying day in 2019...
Ryan Voight - 2019/05/14 02:52:15 UTC

Just re-read my response above...

I want to point out that I do not blame or fault instructors in any way. The deficits originate at the top. Almost every instructor I know is a thoughtful, caring, intelligent, best-intentioned person. It's just that these qualities do not automatically make for a great teacher, never mind someone that can completely tear down and reassemble teaching methodology. I was very fortunate to have the experiences and exposure I did, and it put me in a very unique place... so when a new pilot died in an accident, while under direct instructor supervision, being towed by another instructor, and at least two other “USHPA CERTIFIED” instructors were there... and not one of them saw it coming (or even the potential?). That was the moment I realized that- if ALL these instructors, whom I know well, missed the warning signs (signs I saw) then the failing was not their own, but that of the system that trained and certified them.

Instructors are ill equipped to teach. Students are then underprivileged in their learning. Failure is imminent, and only the MOST stubborn, head-strong, dedicated, or persistent will make it through to becoming a pilot.

Think about it; if a rational cautious person gets scared being allowed to launch and get flying and feels out-of-control returning to the ground... they don't come back. A student that's more ok with the unknown outcome of how he'll return to standing stationary on the ground- ya know, the ill figure it out when I get there type- they're more comfortable and more likely to continue training. Think about that... and think about our accident statistics. Considering the greatest determinant of aviation safety is mentality and decision making...

Again, I am not knocking instructors. They just don't know. I didn't know, despite getting a generational head-start in teaching...
I made this video to highlight a couple things in particular. The biggest and most important to me is we need to be teaching people how to land BEFORE putting them in the air.
Really. On 1980/04/02 after one practice ground run I took off unassisted from a fifty foot dune and landed on the wheels INSTINCTIVELY and PERFECTLY. And then things went downhill for decades as I worked on doing it "RIGHT" - getting my flare timing perfected.

And then when I went back to Kitty Hawk Kites as an instructor and had tons of "students" do on their first flights exactly what I'd done on my first flight. Then I'd fuck them all up teaching them the right way to do it.
That might sound funny, but look at any school. ANY one. They're either having students fly until the ground comes up and calling it wheel landing...
Right. They don't even ease the bar out and level off. Just fly it into the ground and it gets called a wheel landing.
I tried repeatedly to explain the video is meant to endorse teaching using A progression, and I/it made no claim that was THE progression to be used.
I didn't see any of your victims - or instructors - progress enough to ever once touch the control bar. That was something I was doing minus any problem whatsoever within a couple seconds of initiation every flight. Ditto for everyone's students.
I believe ADAMANTLY that the failings of the sport to thrive are almost entirely due to poor instruction techniques and practices.
With ya there, Ryan 'cept for the "almost" part. Maybe you can show me a video of an exception.
Everyone is teaching the way they were taught, and it's such a busy scramble there's no opportunity to reevaluate a better way.
Nah, it gets incrementally worse each passing year. Motherfuckers like Greblo figuring out that they can make fortunes by not letting any students prone out and go to the control bar until after they've racked up forty hours.
There were TWO new pilot deaths that shook me to my core...
2015/05/17 - Scott Trueblood
2016/02/02 - Tomas Banevicius
...and the only good to come of them was what it opened my eyes to (how poor instruction is...
I knew that by Day 3 of my session.
...how much students struggle, and why so many don't stick with it).
They'd struggle less and stick with it more if they’d learn to do what I did - start ignoring the motherfuckers.
...the right people don't want to hear it.
Who are the right people? And where were they when Team Kite Strings was dealing with the easily reachable bent pin barrel release and Standard Aerotow Weak Link?
Hang gliding isn't even that big a part of my life anymore...
Hang gliding was never a big part of u$hPa's life. Really wasn't any room for it with perfected flare timing in the picture.
I want to point out that I do not blame or fault instructors in any way.
http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=34243
Fatal HG crash in Tres Pinos CA 4-3-2016
Ryan Voight - 2016/04/07 20:07:36 UTC

Lin- dude... hgflyer implied nothing. It's not IMPLIED. A student, under direct instruction, is dead. That does not happen without some kind of instruction F*** up. So far we have no details on this one. And yes, I'm a couple thousand miles away. Wasn't there, didn't see it, don't even know who the individual instructor(s) were...

Again I'll say- there is no implication of lacking instruction. There is proof. Cold, stiff, lifeless proof god damnit. Someone's daughter, sister, wife?, mother?

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'm thinking the courts may blame and fault the Mission instructors on the Scott Howard one.
The deficits originate at the top.
And they should definitely be going after the top as well.
Almost every instructor I know is a thoughtful, caring, intelligent, best-intentioned person.
Your ol' buddy Jim Keen-Intellect Rooney for a superb example. Heard anything from him lately?
It's just that these qualities do not automatically make for a great teacher, never mind someone that can completely tear down and reassemble teaching methodology. I was very fortunate to have the experiences and exposure I did, and it put me in a very unique place...
Ryan Voight - 2015/02/22

If you teach them how to pull the glider with the harness they'll learn to steer the glider through weight shift simply by running toward their target.

069-25104
http://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1572/26142964830_289bc3f2cb_o.png
...so when a new pilot died in an accident, while under direct instructor supervision, being towed by another instructor, and at least two other “USHPA CERTIFIED” instructors were there... and not one of them saw it coming (or even the potential?).
I'm guessing all direct and indirect Fly High Hang Gliding products?
That was the moment I realized that- if ALL these instructors, whom I know well, missed the warning signs (signs I saw) then the failing was not their own, but that of the system that trained and certified them.
Did Tomas Banevicius get killed any more quickly and or deader than Jeff Bohl?
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=36469
USHPA President on preliminary results: "change is hard" suck it up!
Jack Axaopoulos - 2019/05/29 12:47:07 UTC

Nothing has changed for decades. Ushpa has never been a hang gliding org, and never will be, so we can just expect more of the same. The membership apathy is also clear and apparent. Lot's of blame to go around. I sent an email to 5000 people about the issue.... LAST DAY TO VOTE message... only 5% of email receivers even bothered to click on the link, well below the rate of other email sends on different subjects. Either few care, or everyone has simply checked out when it comes to USHPA stuff... or other?

The sport needs entirely new leadership for any chance of a turn around. Ushpa's track record is good evidence they are not the solution, and no one else seem's to be stepping up. I think most pilots rather just go fly. Not a good state of affairs. The sport is committing a slow suicide.
Nothing has changed for decades. Ushpa has never been a hang gliding org, and never will be, so we can just expect more of the same.
And the worlds largest hang gliding community can't seem to do anything about it? Go figure.
The membership apathy is also clear and apparent.
Wow. Who'da ever thunk.
Lot's of blame to go around.
Do T** at K*** S******, related people, his organization get any credit?
I sent an email to 5000 people about the issue.... LAST DAY TO VOTE message... only 5% of email receivers even bothered to click on the link, well below the rate of other email sends on different subjects.
Maybe try including something about...

http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=12403
weak link table
ian9toes - 2009/06/11 09:39:02 UTC

Thank you for going out of your way to educate us. I've never done any towing so it's all Dutch to me, but when I do I'll be revisiting this thread. I wouldn't have cared if you were trying to sell them, when I get my local hang gliding mag the first thing I do is look at the ads, they're more interesting than most of the rest of the mag. It's not like we can just mosey on down to our local hang gliding shop and check out what's on offer. I'd be happy to see any new products or even old ones that I haven't seen yet.

I'm sorry you copped some flak when you were actually posting hang gliding stuff on a hang gliding website, especially when the threads "Hang Gliders' Gardens" and "we luv cats" are sitting on 12 and 20 pages. Image
...cats. Best include a reference in the subject line.
Either few care, or everyone has simply checked out when it comes to USHPA stuff... or other?

The sport needs entirely new leadership for any chance of a turn around.
Maybe you could get Jim Keen-Intellect Rooney to come back and get all us stupid muppets whipped into proper shape.
Ushpa's track record is...
Extremely...

http://ozreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=24846
Is this a joke ?
Jim Rooney - 2011/08/25 21:40:25 UTC

Tommy.
First, I sent Steve a bunch of info offline. Hopefully it clears things up a bit for him.
Unfortunately, he's stumbled onto some of Tad's old rantings and got suckered in. So most of this was just the same old story of debunking Tad's lunacy... again .

See, the thing is... "we", the people that work at and run aerotow parks, have a long track record.
This stuff isn't new, and has been slowly refined over decades.
We have done quite literally hundreds of thousands of tows.
We know what we're doing.

Sure "there's always room for improvement", but you have to realize the depth of experience you're dealing with here.
...LONG. Sure, "there's always room for improvement", but you have to realize the depth of experience you're dealing with here.
...good evidence they are not the solution...
Well then let's replace them all with single loops of properly tied 130 pound Greenspot with the knots well hidden from the main tension in the link and excluded altogether from the equation. Never in the history of modern hang gliding have we had such an outstanding solution for pretty much any problem one can think of.
....and no one else seem's to be stepping up.
'Cept for all those poison to the sport types about whom nothing is permitted to be mentioned.
I think most pilots rather just go fly.
I think lotsa pilots rather just go fly no longer have anywhere to just go fly.
Not a good state of affairs.
Depends a lot on one's perspective. I myself am really enjoying the show.
The sport is committing a slow suicide.
Not really all that slow. I think you motherfuckers dropped below critical mass a long time ago.

P.S...
Lot's of blame to go around.
...and...
...and no one else seem's to be stepping up.
...but:
Worlds largest hang gliding community.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

Regarding:
http://www.kitestrings.org/post11315.html#p11315

We'd had that issue before:
http://www.kitestrings.org/post10296.html#p10296

But subsequent to Steve's 2019/01/16 04:51:45 UTC post I'd been using the:
http://forum.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=12403
versus:
http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=12403
format.

But couldn't face up to the task of running through the whole forum and revising over six and a third thousand references. Then yesterday decided to commence the effort and found the original format to be functional and instead just edited the new "forum" links back to the old standard.