instructors and other qualified pilot fiends

General discussion about the sport of hang gliding
Steve Davy

Re: instructors and other qualified pilot fiends

Post by Steve Davy »

...they would not have been knocked out.
So this was a tandem incident, or the tug and glider driver were knocked out, or Davis is an idiot.
<BS>

Post by <BS> »

Concussions are in fact very serious and have life long effects. The last time I was knocked out what in 9th grade football. I have felt the effects of that ever since. It changes your wiring.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

http://ozreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=59325
Paradise Airsports launch incident
Davis Straub - 2019/04/11 01:19:19 UTC

We didn't witness it.
- Bummer.
- "We" the fuck WHO? Goddam royal "we"? "We" the individuals who MATTER?
From speaking with pilots who did...
Any of 'em got names? This wasn't a big enough fucking deal to get first hand accounts?
...the pilot...
I remember the days when pilots had names, ratings, experience levels.
...had a good angle of attack...
ANGEL of attack.

http://www.wallaby.com/aerotow_primer.php
Aerotow Primer for Experienced Pilots
The Wallaby Ranch Aerotowing Primer for Experienced Pilots - 2019/04/11

If you should have a weak link failure close to the ground, it will be important to immediately lower the nose of the glider, due to the relatively high angel of attack while under tow and the sudden loss of energy upon release.
And no one knows AT like Wallaby does. It's all they do and they do it every day, year round. (Right Brian?)
...on the cart...
Is there any way NOT to have a good angel of attack on a cart?
...and launched off the cart well.
Amazing.
The pilot was a little above the tow plane...
Duh.
...but this is fairly normal.
Just fairly. Lotsa times people are level with or bit below the tow plane before it's gotten airborne.
I'm usually above the tug when I come off the cart.
- No shit.

- So I guess he was flying pro toad. 'Cause if he was flying three point you'd have probably mentioned it to further emphasize what a clueless dork this guy was.
The pilot was flying straight then drifted off to the right.
- How 'bout the glider? What was it doing?
- WHY? If the wind's cross from he left the glider's SUPPOSED TO drift to the right. (Right, John Woiwode?)
Then a wing came up...
Guess it doesn't matter which one.
...and the pilot appeared to the tug pilot...
There's only ONE pilot.

http://www.chgpa.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3600
Weak link question
Jim Rooney - 2008/11/24 05:18:15 UTC

Well, I'm assuming there was some guff about the tug pilot's right of refusal?
Gee, didn't think we'd have to delve into "pilot in command"... I figured that one's pretty well understood in a flying community.

It's quite simple.
The tug is a certified aircraft... the glider is an unpowered ultralight vehicle. The tug pilot is the pilot in command. You are a passenger. You have the same rights and responsibilities as a skydiver.
It's a bitter pill I'm sure, but there you have it.

BTW, if you think I'm just spouting theory here, I've personally refused to tow a flight park owner over this very issue. I didn't want to clash, but I wasn't towing him. Yup, he wanted to tow with a doubled up weaklink. He eventually towed (behind me) with a single and sorry to disappoint any drama mongers, we're still friends. And lone gun crazy Rooney? Ten other tow pilots turned him down that day for the same reason.
That's the tug pilot. The guy on the glider is just a passenger. And the Pilot In Command is totally responsible for the safety of his passenger. So who's the tug pilot? We need to set up a GoFundMe page to help him cover the medical costs.
...to be going into a lockout attitude.
What the fuck is a LOCKOUT ATTITUDE? Is THIS:

17-1821
http://c1.staticflickr.com/1/962/40373978690_9aef9ff7ca_o.png

a lockout attitude?
The pilot did not take action to correct their position or attitude.
- What the fuck was THEIR position and attitude?

- So what? He's flying with a weak link which will break before he can get into too much trouble, right? So by definition if he's still on tow he can't be in too much trouble.
The tug pilot gave the hang glider pilot the line.
- Oh. We're back down to singular again.

- Good job, conspicuously unidentified tug pilot / Pilot In Command of the flight.

http://www.chgpa.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2467
weak links
Jim Rooney - 2007/08/01 13:47:23 UTC

Whatever's going on back there, I can fix it by giving you the rope.
Wills Wing / Blue Sky / Steve Wendt / Ryan Voight Productions - 2007/03

NEVER CUT THE POWER...

Reduce Gradually
Increase Gradually
At this point the hang glider was stalled and the pilot did not pull in.
- What a total fuckin' douchebag. I'll bet he just bought his AT signoff. So who were the instructors who signed him off on his ratings? 'Cause lotsa my first flight dune students would instinctively pull in in response to low airspeed.

- Notice the way that the guy who's been critically slammed in on a tow flight was ALWAYS too stupid to have pulled in to recover from the low level stall or lockout? And yet we have ZERO videos showing people not pulling in after any separation from tow in any circumstances at any altitude?
The hang glider spun in.
- Well, what was it we expected it to do?
- From how high and in what direction?
The pilot was knocked out and helicoptered to the trauma center at Orlando Regional.
I'll bet the chopper didn't have much trouble...

...finding the field.
This is not a practice day and the pilot was not in the upcoming competition.
Are there any slots still open? Maybe he'll get back in shape soon enough to get back in action.
My recommendation for a helmet:

http://ozreport.com/23.058#2

It is my contention that if the pilot had been wearing a full- faced helmet of this construction they would not have been knocked out.
- Suck my dick.

- Oh. He was just "knocked out". So then why did they bring a chopper in?

- Tell me what a full face helmet does to prevent a concussion.

- So aren't you gonna tell us what open face salad-bowl-on-a-string he was using so's we can get it out of circulation?

- Wow! You can listen to some accounts from witnesses who were at least a hundred yards away from the crash site and tell us that a particular helmet would've let him walk away smelling like a rose. You really HAVE been at an around all this plenty long enough to understand what's what and who's who! Fuckin' bullshit maneuver to divert attention from the ACTUAL scores of issues with this one.

- Notice there's no comment about him having made "no effort to release"? That was an Industry Standard smear for dead or memory-wiped tow victims for decades but they can't use it anymore 'cause there are so many flyers with so much experience flying junk tow equipment that nobody considers back end release in any flavor of emergency situation as the remotest of possibilities.

"Paradise Airsports" is the new iteration of Quest, right? Davis is dependent on that operation for his physical/economic survival. None of its owners, managers, tug drivers, cart monkeys, state-of-the-art equipment designers, tandem drivers, instructors, launch directors will ever have or share the slightest degree of blame for anything - exactly as they never ever have before.
---
Edit - 2019/04/13 21:50:00 UTC
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

Stephan Mentler - 2019/04/11 02:25:04 UTC

Based on the incident description - the tow pilot was on the ball and probably saved the hang glider pilot's life by giving him/her the rope. What where the launch conditions like (wind?, cross, etc?). Very sorry to hear about this happening.
Based on the incident description...
Why is there a quarter baked incident DESCRIPTION from some notoriously incompetent and corrupt total douchebag who wasn't anywhere near the crash site instead of a detailed legitimate CRASH REPORT from the cart monkey who checked out the victim, the tug pilot who pulled him, and the flyers in line behind him?
...the tow pilot was on the ball and probably saved the hang glider pilot's life by giving him/her the rope.
Fuck YEAH! Got him/her out of that lethal situation with a fraction of a second to spare such that instead of being killed fairly instantly, like Zack Marzec, or totally instantly, like Jeff Bohl, he got off with a mere moderately scrambled brain and a chopper ride out to Orlando Regional. With a tug pilot of lesser proficiency things could've turned out really ugly.

And I'm guessing by Davis's time stamp that the impact occurred on the evening of 2019/04/10 so we should be hearing from him/her very shortly assuring everybody that he/she is just fine, explaining and apologizing for his/her crappy airmanship and all the distress and downtime he/she caused, champing at the bit for getting his/her glider repaired and back in the flight line.
What where the launch conditions like (wind?, cross, etc?).
Everything was light and glassy smooth. The problem was that this asshole suddenly forgot everything he'd ever learned about piloting a hang glider. And he was obviously using a...

02-00820c
http://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7252/27169646315_9af9a62298_o.png

...Tad-O-Link. A proper Standard Aerotow Weak Link...

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8394/8696380718_787dbc0005_o.png

...will always break before you can get into too much trouble.

http://ozreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=26134
Whipstall almost tumble
Mike Bomstad - 2011/12/26 08:33:15 UTC

Well, how about a weak link......
Six times in a row in light morning conditions if you're really lucky.
Very sorry to hear about this happening.
Don't worry. You really didn't hear anything of any actual substance about this happening. And they've got their system under tight enough control down there such that you won't ever hafta hear any more.

Does anybody remember the days from back in my early years of the sport when a pilot like this would have friends with him who would rush to the hospital, report on his condition, give their accounts of the crash, try to figure out what lined up wrong for things to go so south, generate wider discussions?

And what do we have now instead?

Davis Straub - 2019/04/11 01:19:19 UTC

It is my contention that if the pilot had been wearing a full- faced helmet of this construction they would not have been knocked out.
http://ozreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=30971
Zach Marzec
William Olive - 2013/02/27 20:55:06 UTC

We probably never will know.
Jim Rooney - 2013/02/28 01:17:55 UTC

Well said Billo
I'm a bit sick of all the armchair experts telling me how my friend died.

Ah but hg'ers get so uppity when you tell them not to speculate.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

Davis Straub - 2019/04/11 02:33:07 UTC

No wind, no thermal, after 5 PM.
Wow! Ideal conditions for a low time Two to solo and qualify for his AT rating! So was this a low time Two soloing to qualify for his AT rating?
NMERider - 2019/04/11 04:10:35 UTC

I learned about the incident from a friend who was right there and came to the pilot's aid.
And that's all the useful information we're gonna get from this source line?
I just ordered a commuter model of the Wavecel helmet:

http://www.rei.com/product/153000/bontrager-charge-wavecel-helmet
Bontrager Charge WaveCel Helmet | REI Co-op
That's definitely a nice looking AT lockout crash helmet. But it's probably best used in conjunction with a lighter range weak link. I'm not sure it could handle one of the more severe lockout crashes one tends to get with some of the strong links most of the best of the best are using.
I'll pick it up at a local REI as of the 17th.
When you do see what they have and/or recommend in the way of AT bridles, releases, weak links. Maybe pick up a hook knife or two just to be on the safe side.
Christopher LeFay - 2019/04/13 13:21:53 UTC

We've enjoyed great advances in helmet tech this last decade.
Fuckin' obviously. This guy just got knocked out. A dozen years ago an inconvenience impact like this one would've been extremely serious at the very least.
That said- despite ample data -some still disregard half the helmet.
WHAT "ample data", motherfucker? Maybe crap like:

http://www.ushpa.aero/safety.asp
USHPA - Safety Articles
Fatality Reports
2013/02/02 - Zack Marzec

Zack Marzec (27), an H-4 Pilot with Aero Tow and Tandem Aero Tow proficiency as well as Advanced Instructor and Tandem Instructor appointments, and a USHPA member since 2009, suffered fatal injuries when when his glider tumbled during an aero tow launch. During the launch, at an altitude of 150 AGL, the pilot encountered an invisible bullet thermal which pitched the nose up, causing the weak link to break. Upon the breakage of the weak link, the glider whip stalled and then tumbled twice. The pilot and glider's leading edge hit the ground simultaneously. The pilot was utilizing his own pro-tow style tow harness, this own high performance glider with VG on, and was not wearing a full face helmet.
You'll see folks wearing half-helmets- people you admire and respect -most all will have 'reasons' in the form of rationalizations or anecdotes for this... lamentable ...choice.
And then you go to the hang glider wing of the ICU and look at what used to be pilots' faces... Gives ya nightmares. And you need special clearance and a strong stomach to do strong link rooms.
Full helmets save lives, faces;
Cite some examples from this sport - either faces that were bashed in for want of them or crushed chin guards that saved faces.
...it might feel weird the first time you wear one; by your third flight it will start to disappear; after a bit of airtime, it will never impose on your thoughts again. Wear the entire helmet- it's the smart choice -and, if you're unlucky, it may save your life one day.
http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=14312
Tow Park accidents
Jim Rooney - 2009/11/09 19:01:33 UTC

Oh yeah, and I think Ken broke his nose when he power whacked and when his full face helmet chin-bit caught the ground, it rotated his helmet down and the forehead bit smashed his nose.
And we have no fuckin' clue about ANYTHING this guy was flying with. If he'd been using an open face it would've been the reason he was damn near killed. If it were a full it would be the reason he got away with just being knocked out. EXACTLY the same deal as in the pre-Marzec era with weak links.
Steve Davy

Post by Steve Davy »

Towing Aloft
Dennis Pagen and Bill Bryden
Sport Aviation Publications
1998/01
Pro Tip: Always thank the tug pilot for intentionally releasing you, even if you feel you could have ridden it out. He should be given a vote of confidence that he made a good decision in the interest of your safety.
I wonder if the tug driver will be getting any thanks from KO, if/when he/she recovers.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

http://ozreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=59370
An example of how some USHPA rules hurt us
Davis Straub - 2019/04/12 12:56:17 UTC

Because they don't make any sense.
Steven Pearson

We didn't have a local admin to run an instructor clinic here at Andy Jackson Flight Park in San Bernardino, California so a group of local pilots paid Paul Voight to fly out. Despite Paul's experience and credentials (let's us just say that they are vast), he wasn't allowed to conduct the clinic at Crestline. Same story for Zac, who until recently was the only west coast tandem administrator, but wasn't allowed to give clinics at any USHPA sites. The USHPA should have paid all these expenses, and clinic administrators should have blanket coverage at all sites.

The USHPA is being managed by Martin, Tim and the leadership from a narrow perspective of minimizing liability at all cost, and the practical and effective result of that policy is reducing the number of instructors, schools and pilots. No pilots, no exposure. I would also note that this policy is distinct and not entirely consistent with advancing safe practice. So many opportunities for improving safety are ignored while bureaucratic initiatives are advanced. I don't even understand why Martin and Tim have any authority to advance their agenda when they are neither elected nor have any significant experience with the programs and policies they are administering. A smaller and less experienced board is only going to compound the problems as they will increasingly defer these decisions to administration.
Here are two of the most advanced and experienced instructors and pilots within the USHPA. They are prevented from providing their expertise to the hang gliding community by rules that do not make any sense what-so-ever. These rules tie instructors to specific sites and do not allow for instructors who do not have a specific site or who visit other sites. This certainly is a disincentive for obtaining USHPA site insurance.
Sure, here ya go...
The United States Hang Gliding and Paragliding Association, Inc. - 2017/03/22
Standard Operating Procedure
12. Rating System
02. Pilot Proficiency System
09. Advanced Hang Gliding Rating (H4)
-B. Advanced Rating - Required Witnessed Tasks
02. Demonstrated Skills and Knowledge
-f. All landings must be safe, smooth, on the feet and in control.
-h. Demonstrate three consecutive landings that average less than 25' from a target, or, optional landing task (see Addendum 1 - Optional Landing Task) after a flight which requires turns on approach. In smooth conditions, the spot location should be changed by the Observer, for each of the three flights. Flights should be a minimum of one minute and 200' AGL.
Different take from out in the REAL world:

http://ozreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=27086
Steve Pearson on landings
Steve Pearson - 2012/03/28 23:26:05 UTC

I can't control the glider in strong air with my hands at shoulder or ear height and I'd rather land on my belly with my hands on the basetube than get turned downwind.
Davis Straub - 2019/04/12 12:56:17 UTC

Because they don't make any sense.
Since when did you start giving the least flying fuck about anything that made any actual sense?
Steven Pearson

We didn't have a local admin to run an instructor clinic here at Andy Jackson Flight Park in San Bernardino, California so a group of local pilots paid Paul Voight to fly out. Despite Paul's experience and credentials (let's us just say that they are vast)...
And let's us just say absolutely nothing about their legitimacy and his competence and integrity. And ditto for the lying little shit he spawned to follow in his footsteps.
...he wasn't allowed to conduct the clinic at Crestline.
What a terrible loss. Now no one in the area will ever learn how to make sure he's connected to his glider before running off of launch or perfect his flare timing.
Same story for Zac, who until recently was the only west coast tandem administrator, but wasn't allowed to give clinics at any USHPA sites.
A serious blow to the regional tandem thrill ride industry.
The USHPA should have paid all these expenses, and clinic administrators should have blanket coverage at all sites.

The USHPA is being managed...
...into it's death spiral...
...by Martin...
Palmaz
..Tim...
Herr
...and the leadership from a narrow perspective of minimizing liability at all cost, and the practical and effective result of that policy is reducing the number of instructors, schools and pilots.
And who was making that point first? Years ago and after he got his career ended for trying to get some of this massive bullshit dealt with? And what were you doing in the first dozen years of that war?
No pilots, no exposure.
And no glider sales. No shit.
I would also note that this policy is distinct and not entirely consistent with advancing safe practice.
A little bit though. We must be sure to give credit where credit is due.

http://ozreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=25321
Stop the Stupids at the USHPA BOD meeting
Mark G. Forbes - 2011/09/29 02:26:23 UTC

We can establish rules which we think will improve pilot safety, but our attorney is right. USHPA is not in the business of keeping pilots "safe" and it can't be. Stepping into that morass is a recipe for extinction of our association. I wish it were not so, but it is. We don't sell equipment, we don't offer instruction, and we don't assure pilots that they'll be safe. Even so, we get sued periodically by people who say we "shoulda, coulda, woulda" done something that would have averted their accident.

It's not just concern for meet directors and policy makers...it's about our continued existence as an association. It's about minimizing the chance of our getting sued out of existence. We're one lawsuit away from that, all the time, and we think hard about it. I would LOVE to not have to think that way, but every time a legal threat arises, it reminds me that we have a very dysfunctional legal system in this country (note: not a "justice" system...there's little justice involved) and we have to recognize that reality and deal with it.
All of our risk mitigation strategies and programs for example.
So many opportunities for improving safety are ignored...
They don't just get ignored. They get brutally suppressed and their advocates...

http://ozreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=24846
Is this a joke ?
Jim Rooney - 2011/08/25 04:55:25 UTC

Don't even get me started on Tad. That obnoxious blow hard has gotten himself banned from every flying site that he used to visit... he doesn't fly anymore... because he has no where to fly. His theories were annoying at best and downright dangerous most of the time. Good riddance.
...get their flying careers ended. And has Wills Wing been doing in any of this? Being friends with every pilot they meet?
...while bureaucratic initiatives are advanced.
Down everybody's throats.
I don't even understand why Martin and Tim have any authority to advance their agenda when they are neither elected nor have any significant experience with the programs and policies they are administering.
Welcome to the REAL world.
A smaller and less experienced board is only going to compound the problems as they will increasingly defer these decisions to administration.
Oh don't worry. Smaller and less experienced boards tend to be really quick on uptakes and I have every confidence that they'll be doing what the old board was in no time at triple the effectiveness and efficiency level.
Here are two of the most advanced and experienced instructors and pilots within the USHPA.
Fuck the u$hPa and everything within it.
They are prevented from providing their expertise to the hang gliding community by rules that do not make any sense what-so-ever.
That's OK, we'll always have the worlds largest and friendliest hang gliding community available to provide unlimited expertise and opinions.
These rules tie instructors to specific sites and do not allow for instructors who do not have a specific site or who visit other sites.
I really don't see any other way. Most of the best instructor opinions are extremely site specific.
This certainly is a disincentive for obtaining USHPA site insurance.
So? u$hPa's self insured now. What's the problem?
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

http://ozreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=59370
NMERider - 2019/04/13 15:52:15 UTC

Furthermore, USHPA's policies have turned the liability waiver into a 'License to Kill' with no small number of avoidable and readily preventable fatal accidents. USHPA's head-up-its-ass philosophy is literally killing the sport by killing pilots among other ways that it's imploding.

The numbers of lawsuits are IMHO rising and just look how far the case against Mission Soaring is Going in the federal court system.

http://norcalrecord.com/stories/511719753-decision-in-man-s-case-against-mission-soaring-over-hang-gliding-accident-reversed-by-appellate-court
Decision in man's case against Mission Soaring over hang gliding accident reversed by appellate court | Northern California Record

There are more in process as I write this.
Very sad.
Furthermore, USHPA's policies have turned the liability waiver into a 'License to Kill'...
Which had been u$hPa's intent from about Day Two.
...with no small number of avoidable and readily preventable fatal accidents.
Fatal whats?
USHPA's head-up-its-ass philosophy is literally killing the sport by killing pilots among other ways that it's imploding.
http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=14312
Tow Park accidents
Jack Axaopoulos - 2009/11/12 14:49:58 UTC

One of the stated goals of this site is to promote HG. MOST views on this site are NOT from members but from visitors, they have no ignore button.

Having Tad run around every day giving the impression that there is a massive weekly slaughter of pilots at tow parks due to their horribly dangerous devices surely doesnt promote HG. Especially when the safety records are quite excellent.

Like Jim said, theyve gone a decade with no fatalities at their tow park. Pretty damn good I say.

Yet listening to Tad, you would think guys were dying all over the place
He's been nothing but misleading and negative and ignored multiple warnings from me. So He's GONE
The numbers of lawsuits are IMHO rising and just look how far the case against Mission Soaring is Going in the federal court system.

http://norcalrecord.com/stories/511719753-decision-in-man-s-case-against-mission-soaring-over-hang-gliding-accident-reversed-by-appellate-court
Decision in man's case against Mission Soaring over hang gliding accident reversed by appellate court | Northern California Record
Good. Pity nothing happened with respect to the 2016/04/03 Nancy Tachibana.
There are more in process as I write this.
I so do hope plaintiffs' attorneys are competent and smart enough to google and exploit the resources we have freely available on...

http://www.hanggliding.org/rules/
Rules - Hang Gliding Org
No posts or links about the toxic Bob Kuczewski, Scott C Wise, Tad Eareckson and related people, or their material or organizations. ALL SUCH POSTS WILL BE IMMEDIATELY DELETED. These people are poison to this sport and are permanently banned from this site in every possible way imaginable. They have been banned over and over again by multiple websites and organizations.
...Kite Strings.
Very sad.
Very inevitable. Hang gliding is a grotesquely defective lethal product by deliberate design and it deserves and needs to be burned to the ground. One can dream about something decent and legitimate emerging from the ashes but I'm having a hard time imagining the conditions under which that could happen.

P.S. Note the way there hasn't been so much as a whisper's worth of reaction to this to date over at Jack's Local Coffee Shop.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

http://ozreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=59331
USHPA - the not so slow suicide
Davis Straub - 2019/04/11 12:31:49 UTC

Death by a thousand cuts

For me, personally, the USHPA works great. I have excellent interactions with Beth Van Eaton regarding all my competition requirements. I work with volunteer Mitch Shipley on the Tow Device Supplement Applications, but then he lives at Wilotree Park part time. I send our competition results in to volunteer David Wheeler. Volunteer Jamie Shelden contacts me regarding membership on the national team.

The incident report system is up and running. It's easy to renew my membership. Same for Belinda's family membership. We, obviously, have very specialized needs when it comes to dealing with the USHPA.

But the bigger concerns are with both the short and long term health of hang gliding and our association Steve Pearson has some concerns about how the USHPA is handling these bigger concerns. He writes:
1) There has been an extraordinary amount of discussion and good ideas shared over the last 20 years. (2) These ideas and efforts have been ineffective at arresting the decline of hang gliding.

I would argue that there is no recipe that the USHPA can conceive of that is likely to be adopted and implemented by, or even that is even helpful to a successful school. That's not to say that the ideas are flawed, but that they are in conflict with our experience. Make a list of the top schools in the last 45 years--KHK, Lookout, Windsports, Mission, Morningside, Wallaby, etc. and ask if any of them would have been receptive to adopting a USHPA business plan for managing their business. Every school and community is unique--what works in Kitty Hawk is different from Morningside, LA, Chattanooga and San Francisco. The ideas that have been shared are a great resource for schools to consider for business development, but they are not a stand-alone solution.

I'm suggesting that revisiting this subject with clean whiteboards and new participants is unlikely to do any better--we are looking at this from the wrong perspective. It's like trying to push a rope uphill--forcing top-down management on a system that doesn't respond to that approach.

Let's recognize that new pilots only come from flight schools (rather than marketing programs). That the root of our problem is that sustaining a flight school is near impossible, and compliance with the rules, regulations and expenses imposed by the USHPA is a significant burden. And ultimately, the only mechanism for stabilizing hang gliding is to make teaching both easier and more rewarding.

There are a couple of familiar refrains that we need to address head-on: (1) commercial interests are in conflict with the best interests of the association and (2) ideas for promoting growth are too expensive or otherwise subordinate to other priorities.

1. There is a direct and immutable correlation between the health, safety and vitality of every hang gliding community and the status of the local flight school. When flight schools close, even thriving communities of pilots diminish within a few short years. I can't even think of any exceptions to this. Schools, more than any other factor, are the foundation of our association and we need to stop seeing them as beneficiaries and sources of revenue. We should be supporting them, not taxing them.

2. How can we pretend to have be successful association with unrelenting declining membership? Membership is the only product that the USHPA sells, and all of the associated services are to support membership. We could argue that there are a lot of metrics to evaluate the performance of a business, but I can't imagine not including product sales. Most successful and sustainable businesses invest the majority of their discretionary resources in product development and those who don't more-often fail. That's not to say that investing in product development is any guarantee, just a fundamental requirement.

Why don't we try something different, like investing in and listening to individuals who have demonstrated aptitude and commitment to achieving our goals? Instead of analyzing and dictating the minutia of how to run a successful flight school, why not ask our instructors, "what can we do to help?" What incentives (product and services) can we offer to achieve the outcome we want (growth and pilot retention)?

What specific actions can the USHPA implement develop hang gliding, i.e. to support schools ?

1) Provide financial incentives for the development of new pilots. I'm suggesting that a program like rebating the entire 1st year membership fee, and 50% of the second year would relatively increase membership and long-term income for the USHPA. It would also focus the efforts of schools on making pilots rather than other income opportunities like tandem rides.

2) Mandate a reduction in the administrative burden of PASA/RRRG compliance.

3) Reduce the instructor fee, and perhaps even make the first year free.

4) Provide funds and support for instructor clinics rather than requiring participant to organize and pay for them. Wills Wing did this for years--we paid for Tim Morely, Jim Shaw and others to give clinics around the country. More flight schools = more pilots = more glider sales.

5) Reduce the administrative costs and requirements for sanction competitions.

6) Eliminate all fees and requirements for local chapters to hold fly-ins and other community events.

I don't mean this to be an exhaustive list, just the first things that occurred to me. Certainly we can do better than this?

Finally, these new policies don't address the structural problems with hang gliding like how long it takes to learn, or the physical requirements, or the inconvenience of carrying and storing bulky equipment. That's for us to solve.
Death by a thousand cuts
Self inflicted. Do please keep up the quality work.
For me, personally, the USHPA works great.
Name something that for you, personally, DOESN'T work great. Maybe now that you're happy with 400 pound towline tension weak links the Standard Aerotow Weak Link doesn't work so great for you anymore? If so can you please elaborate? Maybe just a bit of...

http://ozreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=31052
Poll on weaklinks
Davis Straub - 2013/03/06 18:29:05 UTC

You know, after all this discussion I'm now convinced that it is a very good idea to treat the weaklink as a release, that that is exactly what we do when we have a weaklink on one side of a pro tow bridle. That that is exactly what has happened to me in a number of situations and that the whole business about a weaklink only for the glider not breaking isn't really the case nor a good idea for hang gliding.

I'm happy to have a relatively weak weaklink, and have never had a serious problem with the Greenspot 130, just an inconvenience now and then.
...inconvenience every now and then.
I have excellent interactions with...
Fuck anybody you've ever had any excellent interactions with.
...Beth Van Eaton regarding all my competition requirements.
http://ozreport.com/12.081
Weaklinks - the HGFA rules
Davis Straub - 2008/04/22 14:47:00 UTC

Here is the requirement from the 2007 Worlds local rules (which I wrote) for weaklinks:
Pilots must use weaklinks provided by the meet organizers and in a manner approved by the meet organizers. All weaklinks will be checked and use of inappropriate weaklinks will require the pilot to go to the end of the launch line to change the weaklink.

Weaklinks will consist of a single loop of Cortland 130 lb Greenspot braided Dacron Tolling line and should be placed at one end of a shoulder bridle.
At the 2008 Forbes Flatlands Greenspot for the first time was used as the standard weaklink material (thanks in large part to the efforts of Bobby Bailey). We applaud these efforts to improve the safety of aerotowing by using a better weaklink material.
...I work with volunteer Mitch Shipley on the Tow Device Supplement Applications...
...and child murder cover-ups...
...but then he lives at Wilotree Park part time. I send our competition results in to volunteer David Wheeler. Volunteer Jamie Shelden contacts me regarding membership on the national team.

The incident report system is up and running.
Wonderful. Stuff we all can learn from. Cite an example.
It's easy to renew my membership.
I would've never had the slightest doubt.
Same for Belinda's family membership. We, obviously, have very specialized needs when it comes to dealing with the USHPA.
And I'm sure u$hPa has very specialized responses for fulfilling your very specialized needs.
But the bigger concerns are with both the short and long term health of hang gliding and our association
Give me a period in which hang gliding and your association were enjoying some reasonable measure of healthiness.
Steve Pearson has some concerns about how the USHPA is handling these bigger concerns.
Guess everything's been going swimmingly until recently. 'Cause this is the first time I've heard him express any concerns. But it sure is a good thing we have The Oz Report out there as a platform for him to express his concerns publicly. Can't imagine where we'd be without it. Do keep up the great work, Davis.
<BS>

Post by <BS> »

Is there any way NOT to have a good angel of attack on a cart?
Higher angels have been noted for their reliability.