instructors and other qualified pilot fiends

General discussion about the sport of hang gliding
Tad Eareckson

Re: instructors and other qualified pilot fiends

Post by Tad Eareckson »

When you spend years running a forum and selecting for, cultivating, rewarding, nurturing stupidity...

P.S. Oops (speaking of stupidity).

Near the end of my 2012/02/24 20:15:06 UTC post I initially had the 2012/02/24 16:15:13 UTC quote incorrectly attributed to Brad Barkley instead of Dan Johnson.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=24633
Interview with Davis Straub, OzReport founder
Dan Johnson - 2012/02/24 16:15:13 UTC
San Andreas

Talk about being a mensch? Thanks, SG! And thank PaulH for clueing me in!
Image Image Image Image Image Image
Paul Hurless - 2012/02/25 02:52:05 UTC
Reno

You're welcome. Image
Mike Bomstad - 2012/02/25 05:45:28 UTC
Spokane

ImageImage
Dan Johnson - 2012/02/25 09:41:03

Really Spark gets the hat tip on this thread, but I read the name first from the man in Reno.

Now, let's get back to giving Davis his due, and suggesting more interviews!

Sometimes we get so wrapped up in fighting other people's old battles, we miss taking a look at the good side of people.

As someone who has been mob attacked many times, once to the extent of using a certain metropolitan TV and radio station, basically for refusing to submit to peer pressure and having a much different work ethic, I can't really feel that great about ripping on someone and continually escalating the process.
Really Spark gets the hat tip on this thread...
Yeah, I tremble to think what this forum, hang gliding, and life itself would be without him. That was a HUGE favor he did you.
...but I read the name...
Good thinking there, Dan.
No posts or links about Bob K, Scott C Wise, Tad Eareckson and related people, or their material. ALL SUCH POSTS WILL BE IMMEDIATELY DELETED.
Be real careful when you make a post about Tad or Lord Jack will immediately delete it. If you don't actually say "Tad" it might slip through the cracks.
...from the man in Reno.
What "man" in Reno? Paul? He'd hafta get brain, spine, and character transplants to make it up to the level of parasitic worm.
Now, let's get back to giving Davis his due...
Oh, come now. Don't you think it's about time to pull your nose back out of his ass and look around a little bit?
Tormod Helgesen - 2012/02/21 16:16:24 UTC
Oslo

Once I commented on something errenious Davis wrote, He subsequently edited his post without commenting on his changes, made me look like an ass. Stayed (mostly) away from threads where he's active since.
How much respect does a motherfucker who'd do something like that - even once - deserve?

And how much respect does a motherfucker who'd read something like that and talk about getting back to giving Davis his due - and meaning something other than telling him to go fuck himself and ostracizing him - deserve?
...and suggesting more interviews!
Yeah. How 'bout Jim Rooney?
Oh, right. Jack kicked him off of there too.
How 'bout Matt Taber? If it'll help I'll supply a few questions.
Sometimes we get so wrapped up in fighting other people's old battles...
Have you checked into any of the history of "other people's" old battles?

http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=12403
weak link table
ian9toes - 2009/06/14 15:18:37 UTC
Gold Coast

I strongly disagree with banning the one guy who has the most knowledge about safety issues involving what I believe is the most dangerous part of our sport. I hear someone dies every year from towing. I hope SG bites his tongue in the interest of public safety. Maybe just changing the heading of the post to Blatant plug for aerotow weaklink. Does anyone really think he stands to get rich out of selling these, I don't think so. I suspect his main motivation is to save some lives and to not have all his hard work gone to waste. Keep the cocky bastard on I say.
http://ozreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8441
Calculating Weak Link strengths
Steven Seibel - 2007/06/29 17:55:24 UTC

I tend to think your "jihadi" is on the right track. And even if not, there's a lot of very good food for thought in that thread. Weak link breaks should be rare in the hang gliding world, like they are in the sailplane world - where they usually mean someone screwed up and didn't notice the knot in the rope, or the abrasions on the rope, etc. Instead they are common.
http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=11497
Aerotow release options?
Adi Branch - 2009/07/02 12:50:02 UTC

I have to chirp in on this.. I know I'm a noob and all that, but Tad seems to be talking sense to me. From what I can gather the US has some quite different (dated?) ways of doing things which it appears are not used here in the UK, and some of the reasons I've heard cited for not using these methods relate directly to accidents in the US.

For instance, the idea of tying your own weak link is absolute nuts to me, as is using a bit of string for the job! Over here it's aluminium only (sailplane style link) and if I turned up with a bit of tied string, I'd be shown the exit road.
http://ozreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14931
Tad's release (even more)
Freedomspyder - 2009/02/14 17:43:30 UTC

I've found your posts on both hook-in checks and releases very interesting and well thought out.
Best of luck dealing with the Oz Report forum cult and its leader.
This is physics, asshole. So there ARE right and wrong positions and good guys and bad guys. And when you treat these old battles as popularity contests people crash and die. And one of those people just might be YOU.
...we miss taking a look at the good side of people.
Yeah, take a look at the GOOD side of sleazebags like Davis, Jack, Rooney, and Matt. And forget about all the people they've gotten killed.
And when you preflight your glider just look at all the things that are RIGHT with it.
As someone who has been mob attacked many times, once to the extent of using a certain metropolitan TV and radio station, basically for refusing to submitt to peer pressure and having a much different work ethic...
Sounds pretty intense. Guess that must've really drained your integrity reserves.
...I can't really feel that great about ripping on someone...
- Yeah, just express your appreciation to the other assholes for doing it.

- Yeah, after somebody has been royally fucked over with zero justification and has been permanently exiled to some little backwater we should just forget about him.

- And when Lord Jack has just banned someone who obviously ISN'T Tad for the sole reason that he SUSPECTS him of being Tad that's no BFD either.

- And when Lord Jack implements policy that outlaws anybody even saying anything in defense of Tad or his position (physics)... Aw, what the hell.
...and continually escalating the process.
Go ahead. Escalate. I ALWAYS win when things get escalated. Of course your buddies always cut my wire when it becomes obvious that I am winning. But I've got my own wire over here and when you assholes over there rip on me and escalate my hit counters always accelerate a good bit.
Steve Davy

Post by Steve Davy »

http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=25393
Instructor lesson plans, are they required yet ?
Ryan Voight - 2012/02/29 23:16:22 UTC

No, lesson plans are not required. There IS a 'USHPA Approved Method of Instruction'... But honestly most of it is stuff that should be common sense- use appropriate equipment, in appropriate conditions, on appropriate training hills, and so on... I don't think it is bad that lesson plans aren't required... To each his own. As long as the instruction is effective.
SOP 12-05.05 C. 5. At the time of certification or re-certification, all Instructors must submit a copy of their curriculum or syllabus.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=25435
Raunchy Day At The Ridge + Release Failure
Terry Ryan - 2012/03/04 03:06:14 UTC
Toronto

Yeah, it was a wild day at the Florida Ridge ... for me especially. Winds were 10 to 20 mph with booming thermals. I had two lockouts and weak link breaks. One at 400, the other at 300 feet. They tell me if you made it above 500, it smoothed out.

My specific problem was that, as I approached lockout, I pulled my release but nothing happened. My release, from Lookout Mountain, has worked flawlessly up to this point. I conclude that under extreme pressure plus friction the darn thing requires a MUCH stronger pull than normal.

A secondary problem was that, at the spinnaker clasp end, the nose of the cable sheath pulled right through the cable sheath retainer. This results in no effective pull on the actual mechanism. I repaired (crimped) the cable sheath retainer before my second flight. But I think I still had the friction problem.

These are two separate and distinct problems.

Has anybody else experienced anything like this? Any solutions or comments?

Cheers!
TR from T.O.

PS: Just as an aside ... by the time the bridle "cleared" the second time, my wing was about 60 degrees off line with the tug. The bridle whipped to the side and my weak link caught on, and must have wrapped around, low down on my right nose wire. It wrapped around so tightly and embedded itself in the plastic sheath and consequently there was a second weak link break. All very fast of course. When I landed there was a 2-1/2 inch chunk of weak link material stuck firmly in my nose wire. Very strange!
Casey Cox - 2012/03/03 05:00:52 UTC
Eastern North Carolina

Here's a link about it wrapping around the tug biner.

http://www.davisstraub.com/OZ/blogFull.php?start=1311989608

I started pro-tow and was surprised that I like it better and seems easier to me. I was reluctant at first and started in smooth air.
-
LiteSport 4
Country Club Pilot
Thank you, God.
My specific problem was that, as I approached lockout, I pulled my release but nothing happened. My release, from Lookout Mountain...
NO!!! REALLY?!

Did you try pulling it four times?

http://vimeo.com/17472603

password - red

Sometimes that works.

CHGA Incident Report
Ralph Sickinger - 2000/08/28 18:18:20

After towing to altitude, Sunny waved me off; I pulled on the release (hard), but nothing happened! After the second failed attempt to release, I thought about releasing from the secondary, but before I could move my hand the tug stalled and started to fall; Sunny had no choice but to gun the engine in attempt to regain flying speed, but this resulted in a sudden and severe pull on the harness and glider; I was only able to pull on the release again, while simultaneously praying for the weak link to break. The release finally opened, and I was free of the tug.
Sometimes persistence and muscle pay off - as long as you've got plenty of time and altitude.
...has worked flawlessly up to this point.
Yeah, lotsa this crap works flawlessly - right up to the point at which you really need it to work.
I conclude that under extreme pressure plus friction the darn thing requires a MUCH stronger pull than normal.
- Yeah, PRESSURE.

- How "EXTREME"? Any chance we could get a number on that? Just kidding.

- Any idea as to the towline pressure required to blow your weak link? Just kidding.

- What's normal pressure? When you're lined up just fine half a mile up and your driver waves you off? Any idea how many pounds per square inch you're dealing with there? Just kidding.
The United States Hang Gliding and Paragliding Association, Inc.
Standard Operating Procedure
12. Rating System
02. Pilot Proficiency System
12. Hang Gliding Aerotow Ratings
-C. Aero Vehicle Requirements

05. A release must be placed at the hang glider end of the tow line within easy reach of the pilot. This release shall be operational with zero tow line force up to twice the rated breaking strength of the weak link.
- So what you're saying is that neither the assholes at Lockout Mountain Flight Park, the assholes at Florida Ridge, nor you give a rat's ass about compliance with equipment regulations.
A secondary problem was that, at the spinnaker clasp end, the nose of the cable sheath pulled right through the cable sheath retainer.
Gee, some asshole welds a piece of metal to a piece of sailboat hardware and it fails under extreme pressure. Who'da thunk?
I repaired (crimped) the cable sheath retainer before my second flight.
Good idea! Take a dangerous piece of crap that just tore itself apart when you tried to operate it under a direct load of something well under 130 pounds, bend it back together, and then launch again in the ten to twenty with booming thermals that just locked you out twice below five hundred and hope nothing bad will happen under two hundred. Can't see a problem with that plan.

Just out of idle curiosity...
If properly used, there is a minimum of three ways to release from the towline. Do not depend on any of these ways by themselves and fly with a back up. The first release is the primary release which under certain situations may fail, second, is the secondary release that works most of the time, if all is set up correctly, and third, the weak link which will break under the right load. You should also fly with a hook knife that will allow you to cut the line if need be.
- Why didn't you go for your backup release?
- How 'bout your hook knife?
- How much altitude did you burn recovering from those lockouts?
Has anybody else experienced anything like this?
Ease up on the bandwidth a little, dude. Ask if there's anybody who HASN'T experienced anything like this.
PS: Just as an aside ...
Yeah - PS, just as an aside... Yet another reason, for the purpose of exercise, you got killed.
When I landed there was a 2-1/2 inch chunk of weak link material stuck firmly in my nose wire.
And of course you used a weak link of a length sufficient to safely clear the spinnaker shackle and no more, right?
Very strange!
Yeah, who'da thunk? NO WAY anybody coulda seen THAT ONE coming!
Any solutions or comments?
Yeah!

How 'bout trying the New and Improved Lockout Mountain Flight Park Aerotow Release?

Oh, right...
GT Manufacturing Inc. (GT) and Lookout Mountain Flight Park Inc. (LMFP) make no claim of serviceability of this tow equipment. There is no product liability insurance covering this gear and we do not warrant this gear as suitable for towing anything.
It's not really suitable for towing anything. And it's such a piece of crap that they took it off their own gliders and just sell it to idiots such as yourself.

So I'd recommend that you just fly in the smooth air for which your Lockout equipment was intended. Mornings and evenings are pretty good bets. And the launch lines tend to be a lot shorter then.
Here's a link about it wrapping around the tug biner.
Yeah...

http://ozreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=24846
Is this a joke ?
Kinsley Sykes - 2011/08/25 04:12:33 UTC

An eminently qualified tandem pilot reported a random incident that we all could learn from.
Read that link from an eminently qualified tandem pilot who reported a completely unpredictable incident that unbelievably stupid people could learn from.
I started pro-tow and was surprised that I like it better and seems easier to me.
Well, as long as it SEEMS easier...

http://www.chgpa.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3391
More on Zapata and weak link
Paul Tjaden - 2008/07/22 04:32:22 UTC

I have never had a lockout situation happen so quickly and dramatically and had no chance to release as I have always thought I could do.
...I wouldn't worry about anything.

So what are you using for a release mechanism?

http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=21033
barrels release without any tension except weight of rope..
Bart Weghorst - 2011/02/25 19:06:26 UTC

But I've had it once where the pin had bent inside the barrel from excessive tow force. My weaklink was still intact. The tug pilot's weaklink broke so I had the rope. I had to use two hands to get the pin out of the barrel.
No stress because I was high.
Just kidding.

Zack or Antoine... How 'bout posting a link on that Jack Show thread to this Davis Show thread.

http://ozreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=26440
"GETOFF" Primary Release

Same freakin' province ferchrisake.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

http://www.ushawks.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=992
Continuing Saga of Weak Link and Release Mechanism Failures
Warren Narron - 2012/03/04 16:03:16 UTC

No one wants to admit they are wrong and Tad Eareckson, is right.
Thanks Warren.
Yeah, kinda quiet on the ol' Jack Show thread. Just one reply and 210 hits so far.
Compare/contrast with the hate frenzy that exploded after the mere reference to Tad at:

http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=25302
Interview with Davis Straub, OzReport founder

4817 hits to date - a pretty good chunk of them mine.
Steve Davy

Post by Steve Davy »

Look on the bright side, Dan has just about figured out how to use a zipper. Some progress is being made on the Jack Ass show. Good call Dan, ask the experts.

Dan,

Just a crazy idea , how about contacting the manufacturer with your questions then reporting what they have to say?
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

Mike Lake - 2012/03/05 11:19:57 UTC

Jesus!
This is serious stuff.
Two lockouts, two weak-link breaks, one failed release (in two different ways) and a wrap.

Terry, you are lucky to be alive.
Oh ferchrisake, Mike. Get a fucking grip! This happens ALL THE TIME. I'm surprised he even wasted the bandwidth mentioning it.
TWO weak link breaks?

http://ozreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=24846
Is this a joke ?
Davis Straub - 2011/08/26 14:04:52 UTC

We had six weaklink breaks in a row at Zapata this year.
And his were all all the way up at three and four hundred feet!

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/hhpa/message/11155
Question
Shane Nestle - 2010/09/17 22:17:50 UTC

So far I've only had negative experiences with weak links. One broke while aerotowing just as I was coming off the cart. Flared immediately and put my feet down only to find the cart still directly below me. My leg went through the two front parallel bars forcing me to let the glider drop onto the control frame in order to prevent my leg from being snapped.
Not just coming off the cart where they usually happen.

http://ozreport.com/13.238
Adam Parer on his tuck and tumble
Adam Parer - 2009/11/25

Due to the rough conditions weak links were breaking just about every other tow and the two tugs worked hard to eventually get everyone off the ground successfully.
I think they might've been a little dangerously overstrength. Probably got a bad spool of Greenspot.
I can't be the only one who finds this disturbing, but you guys seem to take this sort of thing in your stride.
You're the only one who finds it disturbing who hasn't been banned from the Jack and Davis Shows - YET.
Hardly a flicker of attention given to this post.
Well there's nothing about cats in the subject line. What did you expect?
Do you not have some kind of investigation into these incidents...
Investigation into WHAT?! A RELEASE FAILURE?!?!?! How would we ever manage to get gliders into the air if we investigated every incident of a cable binding up or a bent pin jamming in a barrel? KEERISTE! We all have hook knives and have all been trained how to use them.
...or do you consider it all an occupational hazard?
What "HAZARD"? Can't you READ? He bent it back into shape and went back up. And it probably woulda worked if...
Lockout Mountain Flight Park

Note: A sharp pull on the release handle works best and pulling in prior to releasing reduces the line tension thereby reducing release actuation force.
...he had just read the fuckin' manual, pulled in to reduce the line tension to reduce the actuation force, and given it a sharp pull - or two or three or four.
Here in the UK this would require immediate attention, maybe even a grounding...
A GROUNDING?! Why would one of your tow operations ground equipment they had just sold hundreds of flyers?

Besides...

http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=22540
LMFP release dysfunction
Jim Gaar - 2011/07/14 15:40:13 UTC

In a litigious society like the U.S. it's all part of the game. If you don't like it, you just take your ball and go home...

This is the reality of the sport we love. "Always the student". Learn how to use it or don't. You just missed out on what every American pilot already knows from birth.

We assume risk every day. Sometimes with a LMFP release. Hope you get your issues ironed out. The classified section is ready if you don't. 8-)
Steven Leiler - 2011/07/14 17:05:44 UTC
Durham, Connecticut

From here I have an image of France, that the people want the government and corporations to take care of them so they don't have to do it themselves
Mike Bomstad
Spokane

Everyone who lives dies, yet not everyone who dies, has lived. We take these risks not to escape life, but to prevent life escaping us.
What POSSIBLE fun could an aerotow launched flight be if we didn't add a whole bunch of stupid unnecessary risks getting it off the ground?
...but then we are all a bunch of helmet wearing wooses.
Bunch o' nanny state luvin' faggots if you ask me.
Zack C
Site Admin

Post by Zack C »

Tad Eareckson wrote:Zack or Antoine... How 'bout posting a link on that Jack Show thread to this Davis Show thread.
Done.

Zack
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

Casey Cox - 2012/03/05 12:38:14 UTC

The lockouts are pilot problem.
Yeah, after you rack up a bit of experience...
Bill Bryden - 2000/02

Dennis Pagen informed me several years ago about an aerotow lockout that he experienced. One moment he was correcting a bit of alignment with the tug and the next moment he was nearly upside down. He was stunned at the rapidity. I have heard similar stories from two other aerotow pilots.
...you shouldn't have many problems with them - especially down low.
The release not releasing sounds like his specific release and he mentioned that he worked on it.
By "specific" do you mean:

- that particular copy; or

- the thousands of copies of that model that came out of Matt's shit factory before he retooled and started producing something about twenty times more likely to kill you?
I do not see towing as an occupational hazard.
No, the way it's operated in the US it's a bit more like Russian roulette. You know you've got some live rounds in the cylinder that you can remove very easily but you just choose not to 'cause the risk of getting killed each repetition gives you the thrill which makes flying so rewarding and your life so much more meaningful.
He mentioned other pilots said it calmed down after so many feet.
Yeah, once you get through the kill zone and high enough so that nothing really matters everything's fine.
Terry must not be used to towing in those conditions.
Right. A REAL pilot coulda done much better. And if he gets killed 'cause he gets hit by the shit down low it'll always be 'cause he made ineffectual control inputs, decided to save the tow instead of himself, made no attempt to release, or just froze - nothing that one of us REAL pilots need be concerned with.
I see no difference in towing in unfamiliar conditions as foot launching in unfamiliar conditions.
Yeah, our gliders are certified to solid internationally recognized standards and the good people of the Flight Park Mafia likewise spare no effort in providing the best tow equipment possible under the constraints of human engineering.
And I believe the bridle wrap was after release.
There WAS NO release. Both tows ended with lockouts and weak link failures.
That's why we wear eye protection.
- Right. In case we're hanging from the nose when the weak link blows.

- Bullshit. Name ONE person who's been so much as tapped in the face when the tow equipment - towline, bridles, releases - was constructed from low stretch materials.
And another advantage of pro tow.
Yeah. You don't get hit in the face as much. And thus you can completely ignore the issue of all the speed range you're throwing away 'cause you're hardly ever gonna need it under a couple of hundred feet.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

John Fritsche - 2012/03/05 12:46:16 UTC
Lompoc, California

I had a failure-to-release once, years ago, before having two releases became the norm.
Yep, back in the golden days of aerotowing - before there was ever any possibility of a spliced polypro bridle wrapping at a tow ring.
(Don't you guys fly with two releases there?)
Yep. For the same reason that I fly with two sidewires: a main on the left and a backup on the right - just in case.
(One a line pull and one a bicycle brake?)
http://ozreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14221
Tad's release
John Fritsche - 2008/12/12 05:38:02 UTC

I haven't towed in several years. Do people still use those (IMO, stupid) releases that involve bicycle brakes?
Well, some people use those stupid releases that involve bicycle brakes...

http://www.chgpa.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3107
I have a tandem rating!!!
Lauren Tjaden - 2008/03/23 22:20:15 UTC

When Jim got me locked out to the right, I couldn't keep the pitch of the glider with one hand for more than a second (the pressure was a zillion pounds, more or less), but the F'ing release slid around when I tried to hit it.
Aerotow release options?
Axel Banchero - 2009/06/20 04:57:01 UTC

I just kept hitting the brake lever for a few seconds in WTF mode, and the instructor used the barrel release.
...but others like Terry just use the one with the loop.
Brian Vant-Hull - 2000/08/28 22:49:13

I purchased my release (the one Ralph used) at Lookout Mountain over a year ago, but never had any problems until the Ridgely Fly-In, where the same thing happened. I pulled three or four times on the release, then finally went to the secondary, by which time I was high above the tug and Sunny (is there a connection here?) was frantically waving me off.

I've found it to fail this way once more since then, then on Ralph's flight, for about one time in ten.
Neither one of them works worth shit so it's really just a personal preference issue relating to where you want your hand to be when you slam in on tow.
When we got to two thousand feet, the tug pilot waved me off, and I tried my hardest to pull the release but it wouldn't let go. An improper routing of the three strings was the problem - my fault.
Yep, that's what makes three strings fail - and what's gotten a couple of people killed.
I got all out of whack trying different things to get the damn thing to release and finally locked out. The tug pilot said he was a split second away from giving me the rope when the weak link broke. Thank God this didn't happen low.
FINALLY!!! Somebody with enough brains to realize that that CAN happen low.
From what I've read since, I believe the Linknife release is the best way to go.
Maybe you really haven't read enough to be making recommendations.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/skysailingtowing/message/6726
Weaklinks
Peter Birren - 2008/10/27 23:41:49 UTC

I know about this type of accident because it happened to me, breaking four ribs and my larynx... and I was aerotowing using a dolly. The shit happened so fast there was no room for thought much less action. But I wasn't dragged because the weaklink did its job and broke immediately on impact.

Imagine if you will, just coming off the cart and center punching a thermal which takes you instantly straight up while the tug is still on the ground. Know what happens? VERY high towline forces and an over-the-top lockout. You'll have both hands on the basetube pulling it well past your knees but the glider doesn't come down and still the weaklink doesn't break (.8G). So you pull whatever release you have but the one hand still on the basetube isn't enough to hold the nose down and you pop up and over into an unplanned semi-loop. Been there, done that... at maybe 200 feet agl.
Peter's always praying for his Davis Link to blow the same way you are when your three-string lanyard is misrouted and Terry is when his Lockout Release assembly has disintegrated. Maybe you should be referring him...

Aerotow release options?
John Glime - 2009/04/13 18:09:32 UTC
Salt Lake City

Rick,

Not being constructive? There is one person who has put more thought and time into releases than anyone. That person is Tad. He explains the pros and cons to every release out there. I gave you the link to more release information than the average person could ever digest, and I didn't get a thank you. Just you bitching that we aren't being constructive. What more could you want? He has created something that is a solution, but no one is using it... apparently you aren't interested either. So what gives??? What do you want us to tell you? Your concerns echo Tad's concerns, so why not use his system? Every other system out there has known flaws.
...to someone who HAS.
Google it for more info.
Try googling:

"aerotow release" site:www.hanggliding.org

...and check out some of the posts between 2009/04/11 and 2009/11/09.
And to order one - they're really cheap.
Yeah, don't worry about whether or not you can get to it in an emergency...
Gregg McNamee - 1996/12

To actuate the primary release the pilot does not have to give up any control of the glider. (Common sense tells us that the last thing we want to do in an emergency situation is give up control of the glider in order to terminate the tow.)

If your system requires you to take your hand off the control bar to actuate the release it is not suitable.
The really important thing is that it only costs about the same as your hook knife.

And don't ever worry about the Linknife having...

http://ozreport.com/9.047
Avoiding Linknife failures
Phil Wainwright - 2005/02/27

We've been using Linknives here in Western Australia for many years now for both car and aerotowing. From thousands of tows there have been only a couple of release failures. These have been due to either the release line twisting around the Linknife, or wheat stubble becoming jammed in the "v" of the blades.
http://www.ushawks.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=818
Peter (Link Knife) Birren
Peter Birren - 2011/11/29 20:05:46 UTC

Phil and I exchanged a few emails about this. A slight change to his pre-launch procedure eliminated both problems. That change was to tension up the towline and then inspect the release to make sure all was correct, including the routing of the bridle. It's the "last chance" preflight of a system that had just been hooked up, pretty much like it's a release's Hang Check.
...worse lanyard routing vulnerability than the three-string plus the potential to be put out of commission by a few stalks of grass. The fact that it'll force you to use fresh Greenspot every tow will more than make up for those minor issues.