instructors and other qualified pilot fiends

General discussion about the sport of hang gliding
Tad Eareckson

Re: instructors and other qualified pilot fiends

Post by Tad Eareckson »

The following I've edited to bring up to a tolerable literacy level.

http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=34036
ALERT ,All mountain bikers to be insured on public land..FLY
Mike Jefferson - 2018/03/14 06:07:25 UTC

As I sit here and wait for Paul (Hurless)'s response, I realize I could do this. I could start the United States Mountain Bike Association (USMBA) and start signing people up. It wouldn't be hard. First I have to tell all the mountain bikers that the could lose their houses and bank books if they were sued by someone they could injure while riding.

All the wealthy ones would be happy to join 'cause they have the most to lose and they got the extra cash to spend anyway. I could also make them feel good about it by telling them they would be contributing to the growth and preservation of the sport.

After a while the well-to-do members would start pressuring the rest of the guys on the mountain that are riding regular steel framed bikes. You know, the guys who ride for fun on beat up hand-me-down bikes.

I really want this organization to succeed so I will immediately get special use permits to start relationships with the public parks to gain their trust. Special Use Permits in my area are for large groups of people to get permission to use the parks as a group. Large groups like weddings, athletic events etc. are generally more work for the park service employees to control and clean up after.

SUP's especially at the NPS were never intended for ongoing usage and are at the discretion of the park superintendent. There is no government regulation which allows this. If there were it would be in the 36 CFR and, trust me, it ain't. These federal regulations are all online.

Later on I will convince the park employees that they can count on me to control all the other riders and they can sit on their butts and do nothing. If they give other groups permits it would be way too much work to manage.

With the backing of one park employee I could then start charging or kicking out any bike rider who does not buy into our organization. Man, I will be rich in no time and I could mess with anyone who disagrees with me or starts a competing mountain bike organization. Right Bob K?
By the way...
Jack Axaopoulos - 2018/03/18

The Basement
All topics the user community has voted to take off the front page are moved here.
Click on the "BURY this topic" link at the top of each topic to vote to bury a topic and take it off the front page.
The user COMMUNITY - the douchebags Jack tolerates as guests in his Living Room. Near a dozen years now and the only individual who gets a vote that counts for anything is Jack. (Bob's closing on eight and will only be able to start catching up if Jack drops dead.)

A "vote" whose "results" - or actual existence - are known only to Jack.

The only "vote" that's permitted is one to bury. "Oh, you wanna vote for a President? That'll be Trump then."

There hasn't been a "BURY this topic" link at the top of any topic since Jack bought into the Tapatalk Plague at the beginning of last summer. But since it was a totally fake protocol from Day One anyway, why bother to edit anything?

Hang gliding. Rugged manly individuals and fierce unrelenting fighters for individual freedoms. Totally useless cocksuckers content to be led around by whatever appendage any u$hPa operative finds convenient at the moment. And The Bob Show's even worse while advertising itself as the polar opposite.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

http://ozreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=55398
Is this story about a sex cult true?
Un Tuckable - 2018/03/13 14:36:48 UTC

I had a prospective student in the early 80s that didn't want to be bothered with any training, just want to 'try it' by launching from the top of a trainer hill and left because I wouldn't loan him a glider.
Just as well.
Ken de Russy - 2018/03/14 05:31:38 UTC

For those who did not begin until the mid seventies it is far less apparent how likely success could have been when that sort of thing was common. And it was common. In 1974 when I began teaching at the Mesa - 200' elevation difference between launch and landing - simply hooking in and running down the slope from the top was possibly more common than starting at the bottom and working ones way gradually to the top.
Yeah, there's definitely something of an idiot gene associated with the sport.
From the thousands of descriptions of activity at other locations that I witnessed or heard about at that time, and since, I believe this was a common practice everywhere in that very early period. This was the very reason, in my view, that the sport exploded, exactly because this was so eminently practical.
I think the sport exploded 'cause it was gonna explode. Baby Boom thing.
Contrary to the myth that the Dickenson Wing was a death trap, no other design before or since was as tolerant of pretty much any old angle of attack and exactly because many, if not most, simply hurled themselves off hills great and small with such very high odds of getting into the air that the sport grew rapidly.
Fuckin' lunacy - even if you can get away with it 99 percent of the time. It's not that much of a burden to start on the flats and work your way up over the course of a couple hours. And do we really want anyone in the sport who finds such a burden to be totally intolerable?
In most cases the Henny Pennys of later years who chastised anyone contemplating such an approach weren't around to witness what I am describing.
http://ozreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=24846
Is this a joke ?
Jim Rooney - 2011/08/28 10:40:24 UTC

Now flip the argument and you start to see the devil.
A glider can take a whole shitload more force than a weaklink can.
So, if you're of the "sole purpose" cult, then you see no issue with a LOT stronger weaklink.

Well, it won't take long with that system before we've got a lot more dead pilots out there.
http://ozreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=31052
Poll on weaklinks
Jim Rooney - 2013/03/04 19:31:36 UTC

The accepted standards and practices changed.
There are many very good reasons not to take this approach which I won't go into.
I just did. There's no appreciable downside to doing it the sane way. Fledging eagles do a lot of flying in place on the nest then make short excursions around the branches in its vicinity.
Just a few years ago some young guy got a contemporary intermediate and successfully flew off Blanchard 1200' down to the LZ. He botched his first attempt and broke a down tube.
Good thing he was foot landing, right?
He repaired it and then got very good results on his second try.
Perfected flare timing. Good to go.
Although he swam against the dominant beliefs and imposed on the good will of an unsuspecting flying community I have to applaud his spirit of adventure.
Aviation and spirits of adventure tend not to mix all that well over the long term.
It is a significant loss to the opportunity to dare to be different that we have lost our collective admiration for this kind of thing.
How much DIFFERENCE do we tend to see between the flying of the most highly experienced and successful pilots? Lotsa times in long world class XC comp tasks first and second places are separated by matters of SECONDS. And let's go back to the eagles model again.
It is the dilemma I had managing the Mesa hill for 25 years. I hated to be the site NAZI but circumstances obliged me to generally deny this kind of daring.
Fuck daring. By definition it refers to people going in way over their heads.
I thought then and continue to think the relations with the property owners were delicate enough that I had no other choice.
Meaning you know that a fair dose of this bullshit would inevitably translate to a lot of death and destruction.
I always hated being a NAZI.
Probably deprived yourself of a lot of really spectacular entertainment.
Apologies to all who felt my Jack Boot on their necks. I was just "following orders".
What a load o' crap. This guy's a total moron.

HOWEVER... This DOES illustrate what a total load o' crap all this Taber/Greblo hazing presented as conservative instruction is.
Un Tuckable - 2018/03/16 18:20:36 UTC

The death sport had a few different angles before glider tests/certifications. There were some gliders that were pitch unstable, and divergent ones, but the 'standard' was fairly stable. A large hay-bale could make a good flight & landing. Anyone could get one shipped to them, no instruction included. Some pilots nosed-in, swung thru the control bar and broke their neck on the keel. Others tried to do a 360 without enough room. In the early days there could of been many accidents that were never recorded as hang gliding. The customers were the test pilots and crash test dummies.

In the 90's at one place that I worked, a VP asked me about a group going out for a few hours one afternoon to just 'try it' as a team building project.
Yeah.
---
P.S. - 2018/03/18 16:10:00 UTC
Ken de Russy - 2018/03/14 05:31:38 UTC

Contrary to the myth that the Dickenson Wing was a death trap, no other design before or since was as tolerant of pretty much any old angle of attack and exactly because many, if not most, simply hurled themselves off hills great and small with such very high odds of getting into the air that the sport grew rapidly.
You could say pretty much the same thing about a crack cocaine epidemic. And at the earliest stages you wouldn't be seeing all that much in the way of fatalities and lesser downsides.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=35926
BOD USHPA
Steve Corbin - 2018/03/19 10:59:07 UTC

RETAINING OLDER PILOTS

Most of the older pilot population have outgrown the silly notion that landing on wheels, or even launching that way, is somehow "lesser" Hg.
http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=12682
Landing on your feet (for AEROTOW)- So Dangerous
Jack Axaopoulos - 2009/06/29 14:26:26 UTC

OMG!!! You dont even have wheels!!?!?!?!? Image
YOURE GONNA DIE FOR SUUUUREE!!!! Image
I have a brilliant idea. People who cant land for sh*t.... LEARN TO LAND Image That way when a weak link breaks on you, ITS A NON-ISSUE. Genius huh??? Image
And how 'bout the instructors, Steve? All they teach is how to perfect your flare timing, it's been that way since near the beginning of time, and it only gets worse and worse and worse.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=35916
I can not keep quiet any longer.
Thunderchicken - 2018/03/19 16:52:11 UTC

Here to more civil discourse!
http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=14230
pro tow set-up
Jim Rooney - 2009/11/10 17:19:54 UTC

Ah, back to civil discussion. Image
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=35892
Roll control augmentation
Steve Corbin - 2018/02/28 22:19:12 UTC

Postings on other topics indicates that many, but not all, pilots would appreciate either reduced lateral bar forces or faster response times or both.
Well, many of our "pilots" are girls and fags. But REAL pilots appreciate both increased lateral bar forces and slower response times - 'specially in critical situations. Why do you think we:
- have Christopher LeFay's Five Second Rule for ramp launches?
- use easily reachable release actuators velcroed to control tubes for aerotow launches?
- rotate to upright and put our hands at shoulder or ear height on the control tubes as we go to final at two hundred feet?
If I'm not mistaken...
Perish the thought.
...the first Roll Augmentation device was the tall keel pocket.
Yeah, it was all about the keel. Nothing to do with how loads were transmitted to the WING.
This was invented by whom I don't know...
Just one of untold thousands of total fucking morons who had no clues as to how to apply high school physics to hang gliding to reach understandings of how our birds actually work.
...at a time when designers were first reducing sail billow in an effort to improve performance of flex wing gliders. If you know who did it first please let us know.
Please. Such a pity that he isn't being properly recognized and credited for such a brilliant innovation.
When more augmentation was needed the cross-bar was disconnected from the keel so that the two components were free to move relative to each other.
Please describe how / explain why you would design a glider with a pocket extending the keel way the fuck below the wing...

...while leaving the cross spars attachments on the keel.
I recall that this was first referred to as a "floating cross-bar", but later on someone pointed out that it was the keel that was "floating". I suppose that one term or the other will get the point across, so call it what you will.
- The UP Comet. My first glider. Total fucking lunacy.

- The fact that someone had to point out that it was actually the keel that was floating with respect to the entire wing should tell you all you need to know about the soundness of the "thinking" that led to this modification.
Both of these developments were low-tech...
...zero intelligence...
...lightweight, and inexpensive to incorporate into a glider's construction, and they worked.
And we had the data to prove it beyond any shadow of a doubt. Reminds my of the data we recorded in the trail and error period establishing a single loop of 130 pound Greenspot as the ideal pitch and lockout protector for all solo hang gliders.

So why do you think that now, close to four decades later, top performing and handling gliders tend to look like:

18-3015
http://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1577/26397779096_6c07682e71_o.png

Everything pretty flat, tight, coplanar?
I personally have no need for my glider to be eligible for Class 1 competition, which stipulates that roll control must result from weight-shift alone.

For some time now I've wondered how an augmentation device that converts lateral bar forces directly into warping of the sail or wing twisting might look like.
Given any thought to the LeverLink?
So I've opened this new topic in the hope that a good discussion of the subject will take place.
What better place than Jack's Living Room, The worlds largest hang gliding community? Name a brilliant hang gliding innovation from anywhere in the past dozen years that DIDN'T spring to life from those discussions and the hard work of some of its outstanding members.

Hang gliders started out as cheap four-to-one slope skimmers people used for spot landing contests 'cause that was about the extent of their capabilities. They SLOWLY - due to the fundamental incompetence of the sport - evolved into the clean high performance flying wings we've had for the past couple dozen years or so.

One of the very few ACTUAL innovations that we saw - something that required some intelligence and cleverness - was the French Connection (and I don't know whom to credit). It was realized that in executing control inputs we were wasting muscle by having to RAISE ourselves while repositioning to load the wing at something other than trim and those trapezoidal contraptions made their appearances. (Also the pitch-only speed rail.)

But then that hardware started disappearing as we addressed the issue with VG, speed bars, taller control frames, kingpost suspension (well neutralized by all the assholes who think the purpose of the spread is no keep the carabiner from being crushed), backplated harnesses.

Forget the detachment of the cross spars from the keel. The only reason it was ever attached in the first place was 'cause it LOOKED LIKE the way to put the airframe together. The "floating crossbar", deep keel pocket lunacy accomplished the right thing for the wrong reason. But I'm pretty sure just regular common sense engineering would have brought us to were we've ended up anyway.

And we HAVE ended up. Hang glider design reached its final plateau eons ago - and now we're watching the Easy Flyer and the Big Crash.
Although my primary interest is in developing a whole new glider, a means of improving roll on our current designs is a more practical thing to pursue.

Hopefully we can come up with a system that, like the aforementioned ones, would be simple, lightweight, inexpensive and most importantly reliable.
Aerotow launch in thermal conditions (i.e., all of them)...

- So dangerous that we need a standard loop of precision fishing line to abort fifty percent of them before we've made it up to twenty feet. Anybody who attempts to use anything ten pounds heavier is not only willing to endanger his own like but that of the Dragonfly pilot so selflessly providing him an opportunity to soar. Exceptions are made only for the rare individuals who've been at an around all this plenty long enough to understand what's what and who's who.

- A fucking airline pilot at Quest relinquishes the grip of one hand for a second and a half to secure a dangling camera and from that instant on he's a dead man. Neither he nor his highly skilled, brave, selfless, modest, anonymous 582 Dragonfly can do anything to lessen the severity of the outcome. And bear in mind that he's using the only equipment with high enough standards to be acceptable to and sold by someone who's been at an around all this plenty long enough to understand what's what and who's who.

- Second professional pilot fatally splattered at the same launch operation in a period a bit over two years and there's never a suggestion that anything was being done wrong - let alone a call for things to be done better.

Practical hang glider aerotowing has now been around for over 35 years and not one glider manufacturer anywhere on the planet has ever built in a release system for aero (or anything else) that allows the pilot full/maximum/continuous control while releasing. The kinda thing that 100.00 percent of tugs have had since prior to the advent of the Cosmos trike. And the motherfuckers have refused to adopt or even look at the one I developed and made publically and freely available.
The goal, in my opinion, is a glider that doesn't require what we now call a Variable Geometry system.
Good job, Steve. Way to prioritize. These VG systems with their Rube Goldberg internal lines and pulley systems are real expensive, draggy, pains in the ass. 'Bout time somebody with the requisite integrity and guts took a stand against these things.
Ideally a VG would only be used to modify a gliders flight profile to allow a steeper angle of descent for approach to landing, although it could also be used for other reasons, such as adding or reducing stuff like camber and reflex and what have you. But I resent having to decide whether I get a flat glide or being able to maneuver. I want both at the same!
Get a sailplane.
An idea that I've thought about but haven't tried is a keel built so that parts of it could rotate, causing the trailing edge or the leading edges or both to be displaced one side up and the other down.

In describing this to friends the subject of adverse yaw comes up, and while it is a matter of concern I believe it can be accommodated as it is now, by having the just right amount of anhedral. However, it has been demonstrated that a vertical fin can be used with only minimal added weight and expense. My Sensor has one that takes probably only a minute to rig and weighs a few ounces, and some gliders have them for towing operations.
Well then, ya don't really need a safe release system if you have a fin. (And, of course, a proper weak link set up including acceptable knotting. But that goes without saying.)
Making a vertical fin that also can be used as an active rudder shouldn't require a lot of engineering. But using it as a control may be problematic as the glider would need dihedral to convert the skid induced by a rudder into a rolling moment.

But a rudder might be used as a "servo tab" like thing to help with the pilot's workload, by using the force it generates to move something else, such as rotating a keel. Something to think about...
I'll put it on the front burner.
It's been a long time since the floating keel/X-bar and the VG were originated.
And how long has it been since Wills Wing figured out that the floating keel/X-bar didn't actually do what it was assumed it would?
It just doesn't seem to me to be a difficult task to create something that would make high performance flex wings more entertaining to play with. But flight testing can be hazardous to one's health, and I suspect that that is one good reason why we don't see developments being tried.
Bullshit.

- Anybody who's worth shit at what he does KNOWS on the ground what his bird WILL DO in the air well before it ever gets there. And nobody has to run off thousand foot cliffs in strong thermal conditions for initial test flights. We can do those just fine standing on the beach at Dockweiler with a smooth fifteen coming in off the ocean or running into something lighter at the AJX LZ.

- We know that conventional hang gliders are only certified to be flown prone with both hands in proper position on the control bar. Yet the sport has ZERO problems:

-- having its participants - 'specially the least skilled and experienced ones - rotate to upright at two hundred feet and place their hands on the control tubes at shoulder or ear height regardless of conditions and bring their gliders to dead stops with perfectly timed whipstalls

-- aerotow launch with pro toad bridles which pull the occupant forward through the bar three feet forward of proper control position, easily reachable bent pin releases, and Standard Aerotow Weak Link pitch and lockout protectors into the most violent thermal conditions available

And people with Zeroes through Fives on their cards get crashed, bashed, crippled, killed at unsustainable rates through the DECADES and there's NEVER a problem with any of these moronic practices.
For testing purposes it might be a good idea to build a horizontal tail surface or canard to at least help a pilot feel confident with trying out a new device.
Feeling confident - invariably the first step in getting one's freaking neck broken. Second step - being focused.
Making it so that the new device can be disabled until a safe place to try it is reached would also be a good thing.
Yeah, let's add some complexity to the new device so it can be disabled until a safe place to try it is reached. Perish the thought that it should be properly designed and certified under safe conditions before being released to the public.
There's a "law of unintended consequences". It's not at all difficult to fail to see where one action could affect another, so it behooves one to approach any glider modification with caution. Bill Murray suggested "Baby Steps", and it's a good suggestion. Or was that Richard Dreyfus?
Cite some actual examples of this bullshit in the course of hang glider evolution.

http://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5788/23461251751_e98b9c7500_o.png

Whoa! The bridle snagged on the port wheel extension. Who coulda seen THAT coming? Such a total shock that he forgot that he had a parachute!

I spent YEARS developing a beautiful, clean, light, efficient, high capacity, built-in, both-hands-on-the-control-bar-at-all-times aerotow release that was acknowledged even by individuals whom I now totally despise as the masterpiece of engineering that it was and is. I provided detailed construction plans and specs and way-beyond-professional quality photo documentation. I was initially POSITIVE that it would just be a matter of a short time before it would became just as industry standard an option as a VG system.

Then I watched as The Industry continued to flood the market with the same deadly moronic cheap shit they'd been using to kill participants since the beginning of time, piss all over Yours Truly and my design, and lead the rank and file to do the same. ONE copy was built and installed in a tandem glider by someone else (Antoine) in France and put into service. And Joe Street in Ontario has managed to get some number of slap-on versions into circulation.

But at this point you could install one in every glider on the planet that was gonna be dolly or wheel launched and pulled by aero or steady low angle surface, totally eliminate lockout as an appreciable threat, and it wouldn't make any appreciable difference in the rate at which the sport is rapidly going extinct.

And you think you and your Jack, Davis, Bob Show douchebag forum buddies - none of whom have ever done shit in the way of getting an effective design of ANYTHING airborne - are gonna reinvent the hang glider and save the sport. None of you dickheads have ever even done shit to get anyone rolling a glider in prone on wheels or skids.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=35892
Roll control augmentation
Red Howard - 2018/03/01 05:00:33 UTC

Lazypilot,

You might want to do a Search on the Lever Link. It causes a flexwing to turn by physically billow-shifting the sail. This is one way to get the augmented roll control that you want. One post (of many), and worth a listen:

http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?p=247171#p247171
Wing Tip Inertia, etc.

Our own Ridgerunner here is one smart dude, and a good friend. He also developed the Phyn, something like the blade tail of a tadpole, for pod harnesses. Interesting stuff.
You might want to do a Search on the Lever Link.
Yeah, do one on it over here.
It causes a flexwing to turn by physically billow-shifting the sail.
Or it would if anyone ever actually built some version and put it in the air.
This is one way to get the augmented roll control that you want.
Another would be through prayer.
One post (of many), and worth a listen:

http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?p=247171#p247171
Wing Tip Inertia, etc.

Our own Ridgerunner here...
Our own Ridgerunner here hasn't been our own Ridgerunner here for the better part of two years.
...is one smart dude...
Must be. Kept his mouth totally shut while Ryan was telling us how easy it is to weight shift control a glider hands free by running towards the lifting wing.
...and a good friend.
So obviously totally with you while you warn people of all the lethal work hardening issues they'll incur by adhering to the Wills Wing sidewire stomp test preflight protocol.
He also developed the Phyn, something like the blade tail of a tadpole, for pod harnesses. Interesting stuff.
It actually is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WvW7ARcj8k8

Also functional - to give credit where it's due. But after over a decade I don't see his good friend actually using it.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

http://jmrware.com/articles/2001/phyn/Phyn.html
The Pod Harness Yaw Neutralizer (PHYN) © 2001-2008 Jeff Roberson (Rev:20081014)
The Pod Harness Yaw Neutralizer (PHYN)

Jeff Roberson
Created: 2001-Jun-10
Edited: 2008-Sep-14

Introduction

Occasionally while flying a hang glider, you must completely let go of the control bar to take care of some task that requires both hands (e.g. fiddling with zippers, opening containers, troubleshooting radio problems, etc).
And occasionally pilots make mistakes configuring tow equipment and less than stellar decisions regarding launch conditions, have the misfortune to hook up behind incompetent drivers...

01-001
04-200
07-300
10-307
15-413

...or are doing everything right and get blasted by something not terribly predictable and need to release while maintaining maximum possible control of their gliders with both hands.

015-04301
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2914/14042647893_b34671e305_o.png
016-04308
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3799/13746342624_c9b015f814_o.png
017-04413
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7397/13999525606_15bb50b143_o.png
019-04501
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2915/14023092524_85d0cda4db_o.png
022-04610
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2809/13746340634_a74b33d285_o.png
041-05012
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3691/13745942893_d4b49eedd9_o.png
079-05120
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8666/16656199128_a9b3cba59d_o.png
When you do let go, your glider continues to fly along pretty much A-OK for a while in accordance with its inherent stability...
Thanks bigtime, Jeff, for putting all this time, thought, creativity, effort into finding a solution which allows free flight pilots a fair level of directional control authority while flying with one hand on the control bar.
Bill Bryden - 2000/02

Dennis Pagen informed me several years ago about an aerotow lockout that he experienced. One moment he was correcting a bit of alignment with the tug and the next moment he was nearly upside down. He was stunned at the rapidity. I have heard similar stories from two other aerotow pilots.
Also thanks bigtime for not ever lifting a finger to help us get Reliable Releases, Infallible Weak Links, Dragonfly tow mast breakaway protectors, pro toad bridles, Birrenators, drivers who can fix whatever's going on back there by giving us the rope the fuck outta circulation.

And next time you see Red, do be sure to say hi to him for me and send him my love.
Steve Davy

Post by Steve Davy »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kenny_Roberts#The_rebel_leader
Kenny Roberts
Roberts left his mark on Grand Prix motorcycle racing as a world championship winning rider, an advocate for increased safety standards in racing, and as a racing team owner and a motorcycle engine and chassis constructor.
---
Roberts' proposal to create a rival motorcycle championship in 1979 broke the Fédération Internationale de Motocyclisme (FIM) hegemony and increased the political clout of Grand Prix racers, which subsequently led to improved safety standards and a new era of professionalism in the sport.
---
The event highlighted the animosity between Roberts and the FIM concerning track safety. Roberts further irritated the FIM when he began talking to the press about forming a rival racing series to compete against the FIM's monopoly.
---
Although the competing series failed to take off due to difficulties in securing enough venues, it forced the FIM to take the riders' demands seriously and make changes regarding their safety.
---
During the 1979 FIM Congress, new rules were passed increasing prize money substantially and in subsequent years, stricter safety regulations were imposed on race organizers.
---
His battles with the Grand Prix establishment eventually led to the adoption of stricter safety standards for Grand Prix race organizers.
Honors:

Inducted into the Motorsports Hall of Fame of America in 1990.
Inducted into the International Motorsports Hall of Fame in 1992.
Inducted into the AMA Motorcycle Hall of Fame in 1998.
The FIM named him a Grand Prix "Legend" in 2000.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

http://ozreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=55691
Test flying the Wills Wing Sport 3 - 155
Davis Straub - 2018/04/06 12:29:43 UTC

A late evening flight

I had an opportunity to fly the Wills Wing Sport 3 at the Wills Wing Demo Days at Wallaby Ranch on Thursday. It was late in the afternoon almost evening and the sky was still covered with thick high clouds that substantially reduced lift all day. The winds were light out of the northeast.

I pro-towed the glider and there was no bar pressure. The tug pilot later said that he was flying at 25 mph. Steve Pearson had told me earlier that the bar pressure was very light. There is no need for a three point tow bridle setup with this glider.

I could "feel" that I was flying a "bigger" wing than the Wills Wing T2C 144. That did not appear to affect the handing, which was very light. I would just give a slight bump to the left or right and the glider would respond right away. Pulling didn't require much effort.

The VG line was an easy pull. I didn't have a way to see if it changed anything other than the bar position. Steve said than unlike the Sport 2 you can comfortably thermal with the VG on say half way or more. I did have a chance to thermal it in very light lift and it was responsive and easy to fly.

Steve tells me that you can fly it at the top end 7 mph faster than the Sport 2. I didn't have a chance to pull the bar in all the way. I was mostly floating around and seeing how it penetrated at mid range speeds. It seemed to have no issues with getting back to Wallaby.

I came in for a landing and despite having all my muscle memory tuned for the T2C it was easy to do the approach. Actually landing it was vastly easier than the T2C and basically the same as a Falcon. It stopped instantly when I flared in very light winds.

I think that David Aldrich will have one here at Quest next week as he gets ready for the 2018 Quest Air Nationals. I'll attempt to give it a longer test flight and report on that.

Steve Pearson said that there is too little competition in the hang glider market place. He had wanted to produce the Sport 3 for quite a while now and only when the Moyes Gecko came along was he motivated enough to go ahead and go through the pain of development and production.
I pro-towed the glider...
Can you describe the extra skills you have to allow you to fly it pro toad?
...and there was no bar pressure.
So you could've just taken your hands off the bar and everything would've gone just the same - possibly better. So it's sounding like there are no skills - extra or any other kind - involved in flying pro toad. Which makes one wonder what's so fucking PRO about it.
The tug pilot later said that he was flying at 25 mph.
Well then. We certainly don't need to worry about flying behind tugs and/or conditions in which 25 mph isn't doable.
Steve Pearson had told me earlier that the bar pressure was very light.
You mean the Steve Pearson who designs all the Wills Wing gliders that aren't designed to be motorized, tethered, or towed? How much warning did he give before you flew the Wills Wing Sport 3 at the Wills Wing Demo Days at Wallaby Ranch on Thursday?
There is no need for a three point tow bridle setup with this glider.
- Did Steve Pearson who doesn't design gliders to be motorized, tethered, or towed tell you that? Or is that a proclamation you just pulled outta your ass and presented to us muppets as indisputable fact?

- There was also no need - way less than no need in fact - for Zack Marzec to use a three point bridle on his Moyes Xtralite...

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-bRrpHNa68iY/UQ6Pv9gRZyI/AAAAAAAAjTg/Hc22bx5122Q/s2048/20943781_BG1.jpg

...a few miles back up the road at Quest a bit over five years ago.

- Great! 'Cause a three point bridle has never been appropriate at any Davis Dead-On Straub controlled XC comp.
A late evening flight
It was late in the afternoon almost evening and the sky was still covered with thick high clouds that substantially reduced lift all day. The winds were light out of the northeast.
I did have a chance to thermal it in very light lift and it was responsive and easy to fly.
I didn't have a chance to pull the bar in all the way. I was mostly floating around and seeing how it penetrated at mid range speeds.
It stopped instantly when I flared in very light winds.
I'll attempt to give it a longer test flight and report on that.
Well, you certainly put that glider through all the wringers imaginable. I can't simply can't conceive of any conditions or situations in which any sane person would wann go up in which a three point bridle would be of the slightest advantage.
Actually landing it was vastly easier than the T2C and basically the same as a Falcon. It stopped instantly when I flared in very light winds.
Great! Then obviously you weren't injured by any of the large rocks strewn all over the place in that narrow dry riverbed.
I think that David Aldrich will have one here at Quest next week as he gets ready for the 2018 Quest Air Nationals.
Do make sure that he understands that there is no need for a three point tow bridle setup with this glider so he'll be able to fly it with an appropriate bridle - and whatever you douchebags at Quest are defining as an appropriate weak link nowadays.
Steve Pearson said that there is too little competition in the hang glider market place.
Tell him to get used to it.

And note that Steve Pearson hasn't bothered to log in and participate in this discussion.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?p=403031#p403031
New organization for rating Hang glider pilots
Mike Jefferson - 2018/04/06 18:12:13 UTC

We have to do something. The USHPA has become a bunch of straight up bullies.

I just received a phone call from my friends wife. She was very distraught and upset about a phone call that she and her husband received this morning from Kurtis Carter a member of the Berkeley hang gliding club. Curtis made a phone call to my friend Saeid Shekarchi this morning and told him he was suspended from flying at Ed Levin Park. Saeid is a member of the USHPA and the Wings of Rogallo hang gliding club and is very qualified to fly at Ed Levin Park. Saeid has also experienced cyber bulling from other members of the USPHA including the Fellow Feathers hang gliding club president on Facebook referring to his Muslim religion.

This harassing activity from USHPA members must stop at once.
We have to do something.
We who? The individuals u$hPa Operative Jack Axaopoulos tolerates in his Living Room?
I just received a phone call from my friends wife. She was very distraught and upset about a phone call that she and her husband received this morning from Kurtis Carter a member of the Berkeley hang gliding club. Curtis made a phone call to my friend Saeid Shekarchi this morning and told him he was suspended from flying at Ed Levin Park. Saeid is a member of the USHPA and the Wings of Rogallo hang gliding club and is very qualified to fly at Ed Levin Park.
http://ozreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=24846
Is this a joke ?
Jim Rooney - 2011/08/25 04:55:25 UTC

I mean seriously... ridgerodent's going to inform me as to what Kroop has to say on this? Seriously? Steve's a good friend of mine. I've worked at Quest with him. We've had this discussion ... IN PERSON. And many other ones that get misunderstood by the general public. It's laughable.

Don't even get me started on Tad. That obnoxious blow hard has gotten himself banned from every flying site that he used to visit... he doesn't fly anymore... because he has no where to fly. His theories were annoying at best and downright dangerous most of the time. Good riddance.
First they came for the convicted paedophiles...
Saeid has also experienced cyber bulling from other members of the USPHA including the Fellow Feathers hang gliding club president on Facebook referring to his Muslim religion.
http://www.hanggliding.org/wiki/HG_ORG_Mission_Statement
HangGliding.Org Rules and Policies
No posts or links about Bob K, Scott C Wise, Tad Eareckson and related people, or their material. ALL SUCH POSTS WILL BE IMMEDIATELY DELETED. These people are poison to this sport and are permanently banned from this site in every possible way imaginable.
This harassing activity from USHPA members must stop at once.
You motherfuckers got NOTHING. You all sold your souls and handed your balls over to u$hPa decades ago, you never stood up for anyone or anything on principle, and now the whole system's imploding on you but fast. You're FUCKED and there's not a goddam thing you can do about anything.

Try running into Emperor Bob's open arms and see how well that works out for ya.