Tad Eareckson

Re: Departing the launch cart - Davis Show

Post by Tad Eareckson »

http://ozreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9230
Departing the launch cart
Jim Rooney - 2007/08/24 12:20:06 UTC

Bad things...

Having to push out of the cart.
Your AOA is too high or you're pulling in (or both!).

If you're having to push out when pro-towing (and your cart AOA is right), then you're allowing yourself to get pulled through the control frame. This is an easier mistake to make pro towing as YOU must transmit all the energy of the tow to the glider (through your hang strap). In three point towing, 1/2 the energy is transmitted to the glider, 1/2 to you. In pro towing, you're it.
The tug will "want" to pull you through the bar.
If you let it, you're essentially pulling in.

All result in leaving the cart at too high a speed.
Why is this bad? I thought speed was good?
Too much of anything is bad.
You pretty much guarantee that you will slam into the propwash. Not only does this make the glider harder to control (you're now swiming in the rapids instead of a calm lake), it tends to help break weaklinks.

This is normal everyday highspeed cart exit.
Taking things a bit further...
Take the "I shouldn't need to do anything on tow" mentality (UHG!) and mix it with transitioning to pro towing.
This gets really interesting really fast.

Bad habit #1, not flying the glider... just letting the tug drag you around by the nose, combines with the fact that pro towing REQUIRES the pilot to do something (not let that bar move). So instead of holding the bar where it is, bad habit pilot just lets the tug pull him. This pulls him through the control frame with the same effect as the pilot pulling in... a LOT.

I've seen gliders go negative while still on the cart this way.
The results are never pretty.

Ok, on to a less dramatic (and much more prevalent) problem...
Taking the cart with you, then dropping it.

This comes from 582s vs 914s and crosswind launching with bad AOAs.
582s take longer to get you to flying speed.
Bad AOAs in crosswinds have you at high AOAs and low speed (dangerous).
The two combine to put you in harms way longer.
So the idea of holding the cart till it's lifted off the ground was born.

Not a bad hack solution.
If I'm out in a crosswind with a WW glider and an old style cart (no AOA adjustment), I'd probably do the same.
But we have better equipment these days.

With a proper AOA, you should simply slide out of the cart... no need to take it flying with you. I teach students to feel for the glider tugging against the rope and let the rope slide out of their hands.

So what's the bad side of holding on?
Behind a 582, not much.
Behind a 914, it gets a bit more exciting.

Your wingloading is changing dramatically.
Behind a 582, you're not accelerating nearly as fast as a 914.
Things happen faster.
Holding on a second too long now has dramatic results.
You wind up slaming into the propwash at the same time you're radically altering your wingloading (dropping a 100lbs).

I can't count the number of weaklinks I've seen break due to this alone.
It's not a horrible problem, but it just makes me shake my head.
Jim Rooney - 2007/08/26 11:34:17 UTC

582 technique... let me explain
Yes, it's the accelleration. 115hp gets you flying much quicker.
Add to this the fact that it's a 4 stroke engine so it develops power imediately. A 582 has to spool up. It develops power much more gradually.
That transitional time in the cart where the glider is flying, but just barely, gets extremely short behind a 914.
Where as with a 582, it's a noticeable thing. With a 914, it's over in an instant.
So waiting till you're lifting the cart, which can help behind a 582, can actually become a hindrance behind a 914.
See in the window for holding the cart "a few inches" becomes an instant... then you're in the 'radically cahnging your wingloading' arena.
You'd have to get a pretty knarly wind shift behind a 914 for it to matter... you're accellerating around twice as fast.
I see people that are used to flying behind 582s breaking weaklinks behind 914s all the time.
The worst are people that pull in a bit "for sufficient flying speed", then push out of the cart (that never goes well).

Consider footlaunching for example.
Footlaunching has a much more distinct "akward" time, where the glider is flying but not fully supporting your weight.
Behind a 582, you get to 'moon walk' a long time.
Behind a 914, as soon as you start to moon walk, I litterally yank you off the ground (I add power). A 582 hasn't yet spoolled up enough to do this.
Jim Rooney - 2007/08/30 10:26:08 UTC

Yes, you can leave the cart too early, even behind a 914 (you just have to try harder), but guess what? You can leave late too. And more often than not, people used to 582s that get behind 914s do so, then they break weaklinks at 5 feet off the ground because they fail to adjust thier techniques to match the launch conditions. The regularity of this is saddening.

After the first couple weaklinks, they ask what's up (most often in the form of "can we tow slower?"... or my personal favorite "Why can't I use two weaklinks?") when I explain to them that taking the cart into the air with them might be counterproductive... that towing behind a 914 isn't the same as a 582... Then, amazingly, they stop breaking weaklinks.
Jim Rooney - 2007/08/31 12:57:14 UTC

If you forget to "resist the tug", as I put it (holding that bar in position prevents you from getting pulled through), the tug will pull you through the control frame while you're waiting for the keel to rotate.
Behind a 582, not too big of a deal.
Behind a 914, things get a bit more dramatic.
As the keel rotates, you're now essentially pulling in even more (the glider's nose has come down relative to you). You're behind a 914, so it accelerating at a very rapid pace. This extra speed "pins" you to the cart. Now you have to push out to get out of the cart. Now, you're at a high AOA, going a million miles an hour straight into the propwash. Or the glider goes negative and you faceplant.

I'm not speaking of theory here. I see this crap a lot.
It generally starts with someone that's been behind 582s.
I very often hear "I pull in a tad on the cart and wait for it to get lifted off the ground" a lot too (582 technique) when I discuss why someone's breaking weaklink after weaklink at 5ft in smooth morning air.
Jim Rooney - 2007/09/01 02:39:53 UTC

First off I guess is that a simple conversation fixes the problem, or the problem is unfixable.
Let me explain.
See one side is lack of information, the idea that 914s require a different launch technique.
The other is a pilots willingness to adjust.
The first is easily solved with a simple conversation but only if the second is possible.

See, there's no 'learning curve'. You either wait stubbornly till you're lifting the cart, cuz "that's the 'right' way", or you don't. The timing is easy. You actually have to work hard to leave the cart at the wrong time (early or late).

In the end, it really does boil down to a willingness to adjust.
It's not a skill thing. The timing is exceptionally simple. 1st time solos do it all the time.
It's as simple as saying "I'm going to let the glider fly out of the cart when it starts tugging on the handles/rope instead of insisting that the cart becomes airborn before I let go."
Jim Rooney - 2008/05/04 10:50:46 UTC

That "pop" out of the cart is cuz one of two things.
A) you're lifting the cart into the air and dropping a couple hundred pounds when you let go... might have a bit of an effect eh?
B) you're hitting the propwash of the tug.

Snapping weaklinks because of "thrust"
Yeah, that hits on the "how" a bit...
That thrust is applied smoothly. What you're doing with it isn't.
Smooth will not break weaklinks.

In the end, you're achieving the same tow force. With a 914, you're getting there faster.
This is why I say towing behind a 914 takes a different technique.
Behind a 582 you're free to make all kinds of sharp corrections... you can get away with it. Not so on a 914.

When I see someone breaking weaklink after weaklink... they're always hamfisting something.

Hanging onto the cart and dropping it "pops" you because you're dropping a few hundred pounds... you radically alter your wingloading. This is the same as pushing out sharply. Yeah, that puts a sharp load on the weaklink. People get away with it behind a 582 most of the time (I've seen 'em botch that up too, just not as often) because you're not accellerating as quickly.

With faster acceleration, everything happens faster so everything you do is amplified. So little things like a "small push" become a big push even though you haven't "done anything differently". It's the same as getting in your car and starting to drive normally... now think of doing the same while stomping on the gas... every little twitch matters.
And ALL OF OUR ROONEY LINK INCONVENIENCE PROBLEMS are OVER.

http://ozreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=31052
Poll on weaklinks
Jim Rooney - 2013/03/05 21:40:02 UTC

You want MORE.
I want you to have less.
This is the fundamental disagreement.
You're afraid of breaking off with a high AOA? Good... tow with a WEAKER weaklink... you won't be able to achieve a high AOA. Problem solved.
Problem solved.

http://www.chgpa.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2467
weak links
Jim Rooney - 2007/07/22 22:30:28 UTC

I've heard it a million times before from comp pilots insisting on towing with even doubled up weaklinks (some want no weaklink). I tell them the same thing I'm telling you... suck it up. You're not the only one on the line. I didn't ask to be a test pilot. I can live with your inconvenience.
Doesn't sound like the problem had been solved under 32 days prior to your entry into the "Departing the launch cart" thread. You're not coaching the million hamfisted comp pilots on how to not be hamfisted when they're slaming into the hogwash. You're just telling them to suck it up so you won't hafta operate as a test pilot towing tandem aerotow weak links on gliders with too few people underneath them.

And obviously these Rooney Links are blowing all the fucking time and...

http://www.chgpa.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3600
Weak link question
Jim Rooney - 2008/11/24 05:18:15 UTC

BTW, if you think I'm just spouting theory here, I've personally refused to tow a flight park owner over this very issue. I didn't want to clash, but I wasn't towing him. Yup, he wanted to tow with a doubled up weaklink. He eventually towed (behind me) with a single and sorry to disappoint any drama mongers, we're still friends. And lone gun crazy Rooney? Ten other tow pilots turned him down that day for the same reason.
...saving scores of tug pilot lives every month 'cause if that wasn't happening then why would they all be that rabid about not allowing solos to fly on standard tandem aerotow weak link? Like with guns to their heads they'd never consider driving a couple miles to the grocery store with their seatbelts unbuckled 'cause they have serious head on collisions two or three times a week and the seatbelts are making the difference between flying through the windshields and walking away smelling like roses.

And...

http://www.chgpa.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6408
Highland : Party Sat Oct 25 & Seminar Spring 2015
Ward Odenwald - 2014/08/30 01:44:02 UTC

To enhance towing safety, Highland will present a seminar that covers the science and art of staying on tow in both smooth and thermic air at the beginning of the 2015 season (3rd or 4th Saturday of March). This learning event should be considered a "must attend" for all who fly at Highland or tow elsewhere!
You were there at Hiih Gland Aerosports through the 2015 season during which Hiih Gland never presented the "must attend" for all who fly at Highland or tow elsewhere seminar that covered the science and art of staying on tow in both smooth and thermic air. (Funny they didn't say anything about behind both 582s and 914s - the way you didn't say anything about both smooth and thermic air.)

And Hiih Gland won't be hosting this learning event at the beginning of the 2016 season either. The knowledge of the science and art of staying on tow in both smooth and thermic air for those who flew at Hiih Gland and tow elsewhere...

http://www.chgpa.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6326
An OK Day at Ridgely
Matthew Graham - 2014/06/09 01:51:11 UTC

It was pretty quiet at Ridgely when we arrived at noon. Brian VH and Felix were there-- and Sammy (sp) and Bertrand... and Soraya Rios from the ECC. She was not flying.

Felix test flew Bertrand's T2C for about an hour and loved it. Brian had a short flight on a Falcon. I got on the flight line at a little after 1pm behind Sammi. She had a sledder. Then the tandem glider called rank and went ahead of me. The tandem broke a weak link and it took a while to sort out a new weak link. I finally towed around 1:30 and also broke a link at 450'. Back to the end of the line. Actually, my wife Karen let my cut in front of her. Bertrand and Sammi towed again. Each having sledder. The cirrus had moved in and things did not look good. Again I arrived at the front of the line only to have the tandem call dibs. And then the tug needed gas. I thought I would never get into the air...
...has died with them and now the remaining AT universe is just shit outta luck.
Jim Rooney - 2007/09/01 02:39:53 UTC

I don't tow solos under full power... you could't keep up with me if I did. I wouldn't be going faster horizontally, but my accelleration and climb rate would be so extreme that most pilots couldn't keep up the timing needed to make it work. (I think Bo's the only one I've successfully towed at full boost)

Which brings us to the reason to have a 914 in the first place... you need one.
Something made you get a 914 instead of a 582. 914s are horribly expensive to own and maintain. If you own one, you need it... it's a safety thing.
Short runways, tall trees, whatever. You've got a 914 to increase your safety margin. So when it comes down to my safety or having a conversation, we're going to have a conversation. Wether you chose to adjust is then up to you.
Jim Rooney - 2007/09/04 12:47:39 UTC

The cost of maintenance depends heavily on if you can do it yourself and if you're a club or business.
582 maintenance is pretty easy stuff, but will cost you if you have to pay for it.
914 stuff is harder and will cost you dearly if you can't do it.
582s typically break cheaper than 914s. The whole engine's not that expensive to start with... even a crankshaft isn't bad compared to the crap that breaks on a 914 (like the turbo). When a 914 breaks, open your wallet.

Here's the business part.
Downtime becomes money. With the low cost of the engine, it's easier to have a ready to go spare on the shelf. You can swap a 582 in about 1/2 hour. Try that with a 914. When they break, the plane is typically down for the day (at least)
That's smoking gun GOLD. Highland's gonna present this "MUST ATTEND" seminar that covers the SCIENCE and ART of staying on tow in BOTH SMOOTH AND thermic air at the beginning of the 2015 season because...

http://ozreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=24846
Is this a joke ?
Jim Rooney - 2011/08/28 19:39:17 UTC

Weak links break for all kinds of reasons.
Some obvious, some not.

The general consensus is the age old adage... "err on the side of caution".

The frustration of a weaklink break is just that, frustration.
And it can be very frustrating for sure. Especially on a good day, which they tend to be. It seems to be a Murphy favourite. You'll be in a long tug line on a stellar day just itching to fly. The stars are all lining up when *bam*, out of nowhere your trip to happy XC land goes up in a flash. Now you've got to hike it all the way back to the back of the line and wait as the "perfect" window drifts on by.

I get it.
It can be a pisser.

But the "other side"... the not cautions one... is not one of frustration, it's one of very real danger.
Better to be frustrated than in a hospital, or worse.
No exaggeration... this is the fire that the "other side" is made of. Best not to play with it.
...they can't get any gliders airborne in soaring conditions. They've got all the expenses of 914s but they've gotta fly them as 582s and they're beating the crap out of them with zillions of extra launch and landing cycles doing "free" relights all season long.

Great business model. How many people would be spending two, four hours on the road on a great soaring conditions Saturdays for four minute sleds because they'd only be permitted to launch in dead cycles. "The snow conditions are FANTASTIC today and you'll be able to have awesome speed runs. So we're gonna make sure you're bindings are really loose to make sure you have extra wide safety margins."

That "must attend" seminar was a desperation move to try to stem the operating cost bleed-out. But here's the "must attend" seminar that covers the science and art of staying on tow in both smooth and thermic air:
Davis Straub - 2011/08/26 14:04:52 UTC

...go ahead and double up (four strands of Cortland Greenspot).
OK. Any questions? No? Cookies and lemonade on the table at the back of the room. You've been a great audience, thanks for coming and for your attentiveness.
Tad Eareckson - 2008/11/15 22:49:17 UTC

A DOUBLE loop of Greenspot IS a pretty good one size fits most. It would max out Karen at 2.0 if she towed one point but only puts her at 1.74 as is and it puts me and Janni at 1.09, 1.25 off the shoulders.
Jim Rooney - 2011/08/25 04:55:25 UTC

It always amazes to hear know it all pilots arguing with the professional pilots.
I mean seriously, this is our job.
We do more tows in a day than they do in a month (year for most).

We *might* have an idea of how this stuff works.
They *might* do well to listen.
Not that they will, mind you... cuz they *know*.

I mean seriously... ridgerodent's going to inform me as to what Kroop has to say on this? Seriously? Steve's a good friend of mine. I've worked at Quest with him. We've had this discussion ... IN PERSON. And many other ones that get misunderstood by the general public. It's laughable.

Don't even get me started on Tad. That obnoxious blow hard has gotten himself banned from every flying site that he used to visit... he doesn't fly anymore... because he has no where to fly. His theories were annoying at best and downright dangerous most of the time. Good riddance.
Jim Rooney - 2011/08/26 23:12:32 UTC

He has been banned from every flying site he's ever set foot at and some he hasn't.

And yes, he is a deranged megalomaniac.
I had the displeasure of having to put up with him before he was kicked out of one of the flight parks that I was working for.

Good riddance.
http://ozreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=30971
Zach Marzec
Jim Rooney - 2013/03/07 18:24:58 UTC

You're the one advocating change here, not me.
I'm fine.
These are only questions if you're advocating change. Which I'm not. You are.
You're the one speculating on Zack's death... not me.
Hell, you've even already come to your conclusions... you've made up your mind and you "know" what happened and what to do about.
It's disgusting and you need to stop.
You weren't there. You don't know.
All you have is the tug pilot report, who himself says he doesn't know... and HE WAS THERE... and he doesn't know.
Ever heard of "Confirmation Bias"?
Because you're a textbook example.
You were out looking for data to support your preconceived conclusion, rather than looking at the data and seeing what it tells you... which is why this is the first time we've heard from you and your gang.
Go back to Tad's hole in the ground.
While you're there, ask him why he was banned from every east coast flying site.
For saying double up your idiot fucking Rooney Links you IDIOT FUCKING MORONS - before the science and art of staying on tow in both smooth and thermic air had adequately evolved and the accepted standards and practices had changed.

That fuckin' fishing line and all the waste, carnage, insanity that it and its perpetrators wreaked - and the related contempt for the recreational pilot and his safety - was what killed Ridgely - above all other factors.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/skysailingtowing/message/4593
Weaklinks
Peter Birren - 2005/02/08 19:22:49 UTC

What is the big issue? Re-launching? Oh, the wasted time! Oh, the hassle! Oh, the embarrassment! These are sure preferrable to Oh Shit!
Suck my Peter, dick.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

http://ozreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=22308
Better mouse trap(release)?
Jim Rooney - 2010/12/15 23:30:11 UTC

There does tend to be a lot of "Reinventing The Wheel" that goes on when people try to "Build a Better Mousetrap".

This is fine and dandy if you realize and accept that you are quite literally experimenting with your life.
As over the top as that sounds, it's pretty damn accurate.

I get called a wet blanket a lot, and that's ok. But I've seen a lot of my friends try to put themselves in the hospital "experimenting" with this stuff.

Please realize that there are hidden issues with all this stuff.
It is by no means as straight forward as it looks.
There does tend to be a lot of "Reinventing The Wheel" that goes on when people try to "Build a Better Mousetrap".
There TENDS to be? Can you cite any examples? I'm a bit surprised that anybody would bust ass designing and constructing something that already exists.
This is fine and dandy if you realize and accept that you are quite literally experimenting with your life.
We're rolling dice with our lives every time we go up behind a tug anyway.

http://www.chgpa.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2467
weak links
Jim Rooney - 2007/08/01 19:49:30 UTC

It's more of this crappy argument that being on tow is somehow safer than being off tow.
GOING UP on TOW is at least thirty times more dangerous than COMING DOWN in an INCONVENIENCE STALL. Everybody and his fuckin' dog knows that.
Wills Wing / Blue Sky / Steve Wendt / Ryan Voight Productions - 2007/03

NEVER CUT THE POWER...

Reduce Gradually
Increase Gradually
What other reason would a sane person have for going up on a piece of fishing line that inconveniences him back onto the runway...

http://ozreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=24846
Is this a joke ?
Davis Straub - 2011/08/26 14:04:52 UTC

We had six weaklink breaks in a row at Zapata this year.
...six out of six times in light morning conditions?

http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=14230
pro tow set-up
Jim Rooney - 2009/11/02 18:58:13 UTC

Oh it happens.
I have, all the guys I work with have.
(Our average is 1 in 1,000 tows)

Oh yeah... an other fun fact for ya... ya know when it's far more likely to happen? During a lockout. When we're doing lockout training, the odds go from 1 in 1,000 to over 50/50.
http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=16384
Tow Release Malfunction
Jim Rooney - 2010/03/26 20:54:43 UTC

Bent pin releases are indeed very very reliable. But 100%? Nope. It's exceptionally rare, but they jam. All mechanical things do.
Jim Rooney - 2011/08/28 10:40:24 UTC

Am I "certain" about anything?
Nope.
However, some things get real obvious when you're doing them all the time. One is that weaklinks do in fact save people's asses.
You're 100% onto it... relying on the skill of the pilot is a numbers game that you'll lose at some point.

I find that so many people do not appreciate how fast and furious lockouts can happen.
They're exponential in nature.
Twice the time doesn't equate to twice the "bad"... it's four times the "bad"... then 16... it gets dramatic fast.

Is a weaklink going to save your ass? Who knows? But it's nice to stack the deck in your favour.
Tell me how we're not just rolling dice every single time we go up? At least with Russian roulette there's only one way we can lose. In towing our bridle's gonna wrap more times than not in any situation in which we need it to clear, our mechanical thing will fail regardless of how much we do in terms of maintenance and preflight, lockouts will happen fastly and furiously no matter how well we stay centered in the Cone of Safety, we'll experience catastrophic skills failures at the worst possible times - when we're climbing hard in near stall situations, since nobody knows whether or not a weak link will save his ass we hafta stack the deck in our favour so well that we need seven tries in light morning air to get high enough for almost certain death.

We've got so much shit coming at us from so many directions that each of us is killed about four or five times a season. Most of the time when I survive a tow I'm so stressed out that I need to squeeze off a round or two of Russian roulette just to steady my nerves before I hit the road for the drive home.

Poll on weaklinks
Jim Rooney - 2013/03/05 05:15:25 UTC

Nonsense.
It's completely about convenience.
People like to argue about it and in their arguments, they dig up rationalizations of it not being about convenience, but sorry... it very much is about convenience.

Take if from the other angle... if it were about safety... if you are truly concerned about your safety... why are you towing? Why are the people that are arguing about weaklinks towing?
See? And on top of all those other issues...
Jim Rooney - 2011/09/02 19:41:27 UTC

Why is the devil always in the fine print, and incidentally in the things people *don't* say.

Yes, go read that incident report.
Please note that the weaklink *saved* her ass. She still piled into the earth despite the weaklink helping her... for the same reason it had to help... lack of towing ability. She sat on the cart, like so many people insist on doing, and took to the air at Mach 5.
That never goes well.
Yet people insist on doing it.
The vast majority of us are hopelessly, perpetually incompetent muppets who always insist on doing things wrong and breaking half the bones in our bodies in spite of your top notch instruction and equipment. It does you guys a tremendous amount of credit to continue towing us despite these lethal shortcomings.
As over the top as that sounds, it's pretty damn accurate.
As are all clueless pompous statements you pull outta your ass on various whims and present as undisputed and indisputable fact.
I get called a wet blanket a lot...
Can you quote anybody calling you a wet blanket even once? I find it rather difficult to believe that if someone would go to the trouble of calling you something he'd waste the effort on "wet blanket" - motherfucker.
...and that's ok.
Right. 'Cause you and your pigfucker buddies have (had) control of the airport and make up and ignore any rules that do and don't suit you as they do and don't suit you.
But I've seen a lot of my friends try to put themselves in the hospital "experimenting" with this stuff.
- Can you provide us with a list of your "friends"? You're always referring to them but...
Jim Rooney - 2011/08/26 06:04:23 UTC

As my friend likes to say... "Sure, it works in reality... but does it work in theory?"
Hahahahhaa... I like that one a lot ;)
...seldom specify any names. THESE:

http://ozreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=27909
Dragonfly Accident at Lookout
Jim Rooney - 2012/06/09 03:05:22 UTC

BTW, you have no need or use of reminding me of the other tug pilot that we lost.
She was a friend of mine and an exceptionally close friend of my mates.
You will likewise not be able to inform me of anything regarding her accident.
Allow me to inform you.
She was a rookie and it was a rookie mistake made under duress and extremely low.
And your little string thing wouldn't have done jack shit in her case either.
http://ozreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=30971
Zach Marzec
Jim Rooney - 2013/02/11 19:22:18 UTC

Of course not... it's Asshole-ese.

Sorry, I'm sick and tired of all these soap box bullshit assheads that feel the need to spout their shit at funerals. I just buried my friend and you're seizing the moment to preach your bullshit? GO FUCK YOURSELF!!!!!!!!

I can barely stand these pompus asswipes on a normal day.
..."friends" don't have opportunities to confirm or deny. And we have zero documentation of anything indicating friendship. One thing that's clearly evident from your years of "contributions" to discussions (seems like centuries) is that the more references you make to anything - few hundred pound carts, radically altered wingloading, 914 hogwash for example - the more certain we can be that it doesn't exist. It's a freakin' no brainer that you make more references to "friends" - mostly unidentified - than anybody else in the history of the sport. People who have as many friends as you do are INVARIABLY con "artists" building up their inventories of marks.

Interesting the way you've always oscillated between hemispheres with not one relationship so deeply attached to you as to have the slightest inclination to follow. And that you didn't have a single friend from Ridgely and its sphere of influence worth sticking around for and preventing the catastrophic implosion of Highland Aerosports.

You don't have any friends. We see zero evidence of actual friends in the posting patterns. You're a parasitic sociopath and the reason you've exploited your position to have Yours Truly ostracized is 'cause you know I've had your number from shortly after we first crossed paths.

A thought I just had on this, people of varying ages... If you wanna see how you're really being regarded and will be treated by someone you believe to be a friend then watch the way he treats his enemies. And hell, it doesn't hafta be a relationship involving oneself. You can make predictions about ANY relationships using this analysis.

- So you've SEEN - personally - "A LOT" of your untold THOUSANDS of FRIENDS...
Jim Rooney - 2011/08/25 04:55:25 UTC

I mean seriously... ridgerodent's going to inform me as to what Kroop has to say on this? Seriously? Steve's a good friend of mine. I've worked at Quest with him. We've had this discussion ... IN PERSON. And many other ones that get misunderstood by the general public. It's laughable.
Jim Rooney - 2011/08/26 06:04:23 UTC

As my friend likes to say... "Sure, it works in reality... but does it work in theory?"
Hahahahhaa... I like that one a lot ;)
Jim Rooney - 2011/08/28 06:15:12 UTC

You may not know, but Davis is a friend of mine.
We have discussed this many times in person. We are not in disagreement.

If you can not see that we're in agreement, perhaps I can clear things up for you. Or Davis can.
Either way, you're the one creating the drama.
http://ozreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=30912
Death at Quest Air
Jim Rooney - 2013/02/03 10:57:17 UTC

I hate getting "that" phone call. I got it this morning.
I'm considering becoming an asshole. With all the nice people dying, it just seems safer. So kiss my ass.

I met Zach up at Morningside.
Zach was hard not to like... and hard not to like instantly.

He will be sorely missed.
http://ozreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=36446
Mark Knight dies in Dragonfly crash
Davis Straub - 2014/02/24 13:23:27 UTC

I assume at the Phoenix Regional airport northwest of the Francisco Grande
...TRY to put themselves in the hospital "experimenting" with THIS STUFF. But apparently not a single one has so much as scratched himself "experimenting" with THIS STUFF. Meanwhile you've had so many of your friends succeeding in putting themselves in the morgue using the tried and true stuff...
Jim Rooney - 2013/02/12 18:00:27 UTC

Your second statement is why.
I just buried my friend and you want me to have a nice little discussion about pure speculation about his accident so that some dude that's got a pet project wants to push his theories?

Deltaman loves his mouth release.
BFD

I get tired as hell "refuting" all these mouth release and "strong link" arguments. Dig through the forums if you want that. I've been doing it for years but unfortunately the peddlers are religious in their beliefs so they find justification any way they can to "prove" their stuff. This is known as "Confirmation Bias"... seeking data to support your theory... it's back-asswards. Guess what? The shit doesn't work. If it did, we'd be using it everywhere. But it doesn't stand the test of reality.

AT isn't new. This stuff's been worked on and worked over for years and thousands upon thousands of tows. I love all these egomaniacs that jump up and decide that they're going to "fix" things, as if no one else has ever thought of this stuff?

But back to the root of my anger... speculation.
Much like confirmation bias, he's come here to shoehorn his pet little project into a discussion. Please take your snake oil and go elsewhere.

Tune him up?
Yeah, sorry... no.
...with incredibly long track records that you're considering becoming an asshole. Got me convinced, Jim Keen-Intellect Rooney. Hard to argue with doing the same things over and over again when it's better results you're after.

- We had a major US bloodbath that started early at the beginning of the 2015 season and has run through 2016/02/02 as of the last fatal event. Said bloodbath included contributions from two major Ridgely patrons on of which was AT Ridgely. Pretty healthy contribution from beyond the borders as well. Name ONE incident in which a reinvented wheel had been a component of a configuration - relevant or ir. Tell me when we last had an incident report in which a reinvented wheel had been a component of a configuration - relevant or ir.

- Cite me a recent fatal crash that would've been made more problematic with the use of a reinvented wheel. Or hell, feel free to go back a few years.
Please realize that there are hidden issues with all this stuff.
- How do you know? They're HIDDEN, right? That's like warning people about the dangers of camping in all state parks because of all the velociraptors that nobody ever gets attacked by or sees.

- This one:

http://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5788/23461251751_e98b9c7500_o.png

had more hidden issues than one can count and was one hundred percent pure unadulterated typical Industry Standard gear. But the issues were only hidden if one were a total moron. And total morons shouldn't be taking eleven year old kids up with them on commercial tandem thrill rides masquerading as "instruction".

- Right. Let's all pee ourselves coming unglued about the hidden issues with all this stuff and remain perpetually overjoyed with the fuckin' obvious and field proven deadly issues with the shoddy junk...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/aerotowrelease/8318769461/
Image Image
http://www.flickr.com/photos/aerotowrelease/8318781297/

...you fucking geniuses sell and force everyone to use.
It is by no means as straight forward as it looks.
Yeah. We know. 'Cause of all the hidden issues we'll never know about. We realize that looking is a totally useless exercise when there are hidden issues involved with all this stuff.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

Poll on weaklinks
Jim Rooney - 2013/03/03 19:37:19 UTC

My response is short because I've been saying it for years... and yes, I'm a bit sick of it.
This is a very old horse and has been beaten to death time and time again... by a very vocal minority.

See, most people are happy with how we do things. This isn't an issue for them. They just come out and fly. Thing's aren't perfect, but that's life... and life ain't perfect. You do what you can with what you've got and you move on.

But then there's a crowd that "knows better". To them, we're all morons that can't see "the truth".
(Holy god, the names I've been called.)

I have little time for these people.

It saddens me to know that the rantings of the fanatic fringe mask the few people who are actually working on things. The fanaticism makes it extremely hard to have a conversation about these things as they always degrade into arguments. So I save the actual conversations for when I'm talking with people in person.

A fun saying that I picked up... Some people listen with the intent of understanding. Others with the intent of responding.
I like that.

For fun... if you're not seeing what I mean... try having a conversation here about wheels.
My response is short because I've been saying it for years...
Well then, be sure to keep saying it for years. If you keep saying the same thing for years eventually you're bound to get better results. I'd caution against shortening your responses though.
...and yes, I'm a bit sick of it.
Well stop then. The truth of what you're saying is obvious and self evident and the sport is in the hands of extremely competent and capable individuals who will certainly step up to the plate at any point at which you'd feel disinclined to continue.
This is a very old horse and has been beaten to death time and time again...
So then why does it keep getting back up time and time again? When lower attachments got moved off the frame and onto the pilot did we have decades of arguments to go back onto the frame?
...by a very vocal minority.
Yeah? So why is that a problem? u$hPa's controlled by majority voting and one hundred percent of the country's AT operations are run as their operators see fit - pretty much all the same and u$hPa SOPs and FAA regs be damned.

And even when an AT operator tries to get out of line...

http://www.chgpa.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3600
Weak link question
Jim Rooney - 2008/11/24 05:18:15 UTC

BTW, if you think I'm just spouting theory here, I've personally refused to tow a flight park owner over this very issue. I didn't want to clash, but I wasn't towing him. Yup, he wanted to tow with a doubled up weaklink. He eventually towed (behind me) with a single and sorry to disappoint any drama mongers, we're still friends. And lone gun crazy Rooney? Ten other tow pilots turned him down that day for the same reason.
...he gets shut down by the very silent majority - AND remains one of Jim Keen-Intellect Rooney thousands of anonymous friends. Win/Win. (Better man than I, Jim. I wouldn't keep an ingrate like that as a friend if he didn't come forward under his own name and thank me publicly for thwarting his misguided attempt to decrease the safety of the towing operation...
Jim Rooney - 2013/03/04 19:31:36 UTC

The accepted standards and practices changed.
...before the accepted standards and practices were degraded to decrease the safety of the towing operation.)
See, most people are happy with how we do things.
Others are now happy...

http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=31747
Lockout
Davis Straub - 2014/09/01 15:22:41 UTC

I can tell you that I fly with a 200lb weaklink on one side of my 750lb pro tow bridle. I am happy with it.
...with how *I* do things.
This isn't an issue for them. They just come out and fly.
Great! So everything's perfect!
Thing's aren't perfect...
Oh. Thing's AREN'T perfect. So what's not perfect? Never mind... If these things were capable of being perfected...

http://ozreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=24534
It's a wrap
Paul Tjaden - 2011/07/30 15:33:54 UTC

Quest Air has been involved in perfecting aerotowing for nearly twenty years.
...Quest Air which has been involved in perfecting them for nearly twenty years would've already perfected them. And, obviously...

ImageImageImageImage

...if Quest Air can't be involved in perfecting aerotowing for nearly twenty years nobody can be involved in perfecting aerotowing for nearly twenty years.
...but that's life... and life ain't perfect.
Yep. Global warming, cancer, Donald Trump... So what are ya gonna do.
You do what you can with what you've got and you move on.
Or you double your loop of Sacred Fishing Line after six pops in a row in light morning conditions and get told by lone gun crazy Rooney and ten other tow pilots to go fuck yourself. Or you go to a TWELFTH tug pilot who ISN'T a total shithead and get pulled up high enough to do what you traveled halfway across the country to do.
But then there's a crowd that "knows better".
Like, for example:

http://ozreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9230
Departing the launch cart
Bart Weghorst - 2008/05/03 15:57:18 UTC

Any tug that's adjusted right (whether it is a 582 or a 914) will produce the most thrust when it flies at the airspeed that you would normally tow at. This airspeed is usually reached when the glider has come out of the cart, with the tug still on the ground. (At this speed the tug pilot could probably fly, but wants a little extra airspeed to get off the ground with an extra airspeed margin).

In other words: The thrust of the tug at full throttle varies with airspeed. As you get close to best climb speed, the thrust increases. Also the acceleration increases. When this happens, the glider experiences "maximum pull".

This acceleration is faster with a 914. Therefore we get more weak link breaks during the take-off run.

Then the "spool up" argument:
A well adjusted 582 will be completely spooled up in the first few feet of the take-off run. By the time the glider is ready to fly out of the cart the engine will be spooled up and at max rpm for many seconds already.
To them, we're all morons that can't see "the truth".
Please allow me to speak as one of the more prominent members of "them". To us your all total fucking morons and sleazebags whose existence is dependent upon suppressing "the truth" when and where ever there's the slightest indication of it rearing it's ugly head.
(Holy god, the names I've been called.)
- Thank you. But the English language doesn't have enough appropriate names for you.

- Just you? In the previous sentence you were doing first person plural. How come you're not saying, "(Holy god, the names WE've been called.)"? Because you're not really getting much help telling hang glider pilots to do what they can with what they've got and move on?
I have little time for these people.
Name some people for whom you have more time. Because of your selfish choices and actions a high volume seventeen year major aerotow operation has just imploded, professional AT careers are over, a huge inventory of planes and support infrastructure is being liquidated, the AT option for just about all of the Mid Atlantic has been wiped off the map. I'd estimate that about twenty percent of US aerotowing just went permanently down the toilet and predict that they're will be a domino effect.

http://aerosports.net
Hang Gliding School - Baltimore MD, Washington DC, and Philadelphia PA Areas
After sixteen years of service we are extremely sad to announce that we will be closing our doors. With the combination of employee, financial, and our own personal issues, we find ourselves unable to operate this spring.

We will spend the month of March attempting to liquidate our inventory and equipment from the Ridgely Airpark. We will be at the airfield on Saturdays and Sundays from 10:00 through 4:00 throughout the month if you need to retrieve any stored items or want to pick up any of our discounted inventory or shop equipment. If you need to meet us outside of those days or times we can easily arrange that. Please email us to arrange any other meetings.

We can't express how emotional this is for us as it feels like we're abandoning our best friends and family. We're sorry that we can't continue to provide the services you have grown accustomed to. This is honestly the hardest thing we've ever had to do and we hope you can sympathize with our situation. Thank you for all the wonderful times.

Sincerely, Sunny and Adam
It was actually SEVENteen years of what you're characterizing as "service". But grade school arithmetic was never a strong suit with you guys. And that was one of your biggest problems.
It saddens me to know that the rantings of the fanatic fringe mask the few people who are actually working on things.
- I thought you just said that thing's aren't perfect, but that's life... and life ain't perfect. So you do what you can with what you've got and you move on. What is it that the few people who are actually working on things have to enable them to actually work on things that the fanatic fringe doesn't have to enable it to actually work on the same things that the people who are actually work on things are actually working on?

- MASK the few people who are actually working on things? You know this and it saddens you? Name some fanatic fringers who haven't been banned from or otherwise silenced on the Jack and Davis Shows. Point me to one single post of a single one of the few people actually working on things describing a thing he's actually working on, advising us of his progress, describing the brick wall that he's been trying to bore his way though in the three years plus since you advised us of this issue.

- If it saddens you to know that the rantings of the fanatic fringe are masking the few people who are actually working on things please tell us what it does to you to know that Davis has walled off The Davis Show from the public and search engines?

- These things the few people actually working on things are working on are obviously life and death issues, right? They wouldn't be working on them for untold years and you wouldn't be saddened knowing that they're being masked if we were just talking about the pisser of not being able to get airborne for in decent soaring conditions and a few fatal whip inconveniences, right? So how many people do you estimate have been crashed, mangled, killed worldwide in the past three years due to this callous masking campaign of the fanatic fringe's?
The fanaticism makes it extremely hard to have a conversation about these things as they always degrade into arguments.
So? The few people actually working on things and never identifying themselves and the things they're actually working on and never participating in conversations that always degrade into arguments are being prevented from actually working on things because the fanaticism makes it extremely hard to have a conversation about these things as they always degrade into arguments?

Fuckin' Wilbur and Orville solved one hundred percent of the issues blocking the advent of modern aviation and got it off the ground successfully on 1903/12/17 and were widely regarded as frauds until they went to France and in early August of 1908 and blew the crap out of the world with what they were doing. Compare/Contrast with the few people actually working on things in hang glider aerotowing eleven decades plus after Kitty Hawk.
So I save the actual conversations for when I'm talking with people in person.
Yeah, those are the best kind. The ones that can't be documented and proven to have actually existed. 'Specially the ones all these people your talking to in person also never mention publicly.
A fun saying that I picked up...
Oh, DO tell us. Life would be so empty and meaningless without knowing what fun sayings you've picked up.
Some people listen with the intent of understanding. Others with the intent of responding.
I like that.

For fun...
Try Googling that fun saying you've picked up with quotation marks at the ends and check out the eight (probably nine after I post this) results.
...if you're not seeing what I mean... try having a conversation here about wheels.
That's OK, Jim. Anybody with a halfway functional brain or better is seeing the crap you're trying to pull. Pathetic little parasitic worm.
With the combination of employee, financial, and our own personal issues, we find ourselves unable to operate this spring.
No shit. And you have only yourselves to blame.