Tad Eareckson

Re: landing

Post by Tad Eareckson »

http://ozreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=49667
Ron Keinan
John Simon - 2016/09/20 19:50:38 UTC

Thoughts
Better late than never, John.
First, Heather and I are really pulling for Ron.
Me too. I'm hoping for a full and speedy recovery - despite the fact that he's still in a coma (and will be for a week or two to come).
We just met him this week and you couldn't meet a nicer guy with a better attitude or bigger smile.
And now he's junk.
I will simply say what I noticed both in the air and on the ground at the scene. It's only my observation and perception... I was fairly busy flying my own glider.
Which made one of you.
I DID NOT see his crash.
I did. Airtribune did a really great job. How come you're not referencing it?
He and I glided out from a mountain with unlandable terrain to a small "town" at the base as we were the low guys in a low stack. Pedro...
...L. Garcia...
...also came, but I never saw him...
Neither did Airtribune.
He landed very, very close to me as I understand it though. He mentioned his LZ was difficult (many cactuses).

Ron and I flew side by side at the Same altitude from the mountain to the ENE towards a few roads with houses and one very nice looking LZ (completely empty field) and only a couple other possibilities. The wind earlier had been light west, but it was now ENE and it was a touch more than I thought. I misjudged it and hence my glide to the nice LZ (the farthest) was looking more and more tight. Ron was 1/4 mile off my left wing (north of me) at the Same altitude and very slightly closer to the main LZ. As we proceeded, I started picking out alternates in the scrub desert and found a decent one that had a significantly less dense area of vegetation (more "runways").
Defined by parallel draws and associated vegetation patterns aligned SSW-NNE.
I also found a third near a street that had a nice "spot" that was clear, although it would require a spot landing... It looked more an H3 than H4 spot.
But you're a Four, right? That means you can consistently and safely stop on your feet within a radius of well under a wingspan of a spot. Should be able to do it in your sleep by now, right?
Gliding further, I decided to proceed to my secondary, which was larger than the primary but had some bushes/cactuses, a power line on 2 sides and a low fence. I felt I could reach the primary, but also felt I'd be very low and if I hit sink... I'd not make it. Ron was slightly closer than me and proceeded. I did not see him again until later when I heard the ambulances and I ran up to his site, as I was busy setting up my approach. It went fine, except I dropped a shoe on final and was not willing to take any steps in the rough terrain. I needed a no stepper, got a one stepper and pogo'd on my one leg to a gentle whack.
A shoe falling off on final. In cactus country. Gotta be a first. (Nice job preflighting, John.)
40 minutes later, hearing the sirens I ran up to his landing site...
Sirens. Hard to beat whenever you're trying to locate "landing" sites.
...and Larry and Heather had been there for 10 minutes or more (they were in a vehicle coming to retrieve me). It appeared he clipped a tree on approach the LZ was indeed a nice one, completely devoid of obstacles excepting the low trees on the sides. It was not super big though and would require a good approach.
1. In other words, his approach was crap.
2. Bummer that he'd never attended a Voight, Shipley, Rooney, Wendt, Ridgely, Greblo good approach clinic - wasn't it John?
The wind had hurt our glides and we hadn't planned well enough.
No. The problem was that your decisions were influenced by pilot desires to be competitive. Haven't you bothered to read the earlier comments in this thread?
There were reasonable alternatives, although none were wide open like the primary and all would require a good approach.
1. Second time in the space of three sentences, John. We seem to be homing in on the fundamental issue here.
2. Name some schools, instructors who teach RLF approaches.
The weather was generally turbulence free so it was not too worrisome.
Maybe Ron wasn't worrying about the right things.
Ron K was slightly closer to the clean LZ and that is likely why he continued. Not sure why he clipped the tree.
Me neither. He certainly had RLF and XC signoffs right?
I arrived at less than 300' at my LZ.
He arrived at his at less than a third of that. Any comment?
Heather and I are wishing mightily for good news.
Don't hold your breath.

And look who was pretty much mirroring Ron's final minutes as a functional human and giving us the most useful report.

http://www.kitestrings.org/post47.html#p47

Fuckin' carrier pilot who flies into a taxiway sign in dead air at a wide open empty airport 'cause:
- he's gotta put it down on his feet on his fuckin' predetermined spot
- all hang glider runways are infinite in length.
John Simon - 2009/01

I was planning a simple sled ride followed by an easy approach into a well manicured, ruler flat airport field. What could go wrong? I intended to make a nice, long, straight final while upright on the downtubes - conservative and safe.
Total fucking moron. And note that in the eight and a half years since publishing that crap in u$hPa's rag he's never uttered a syllable's worth of retraction.

And here we are (on the left) a bit under four months earlier celebrating our award less than a day after a fellow competitor and airline pilot...

http://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7394/27205018655_892d8a0852_o.jpg

...buys it at Quest as a consequence of attempting to fly with cheap shit Industry Standard tow equipment.

http://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7447/26578855104_69f4705474_o.jpg

Anyway John... You good with posting this detailed account on a forum that's closed off to the public and glider people Davis has arbitrarily decided to exclude? And same deal now for anything posted in the Jack Show Incident Reports.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

Ron Keinan
David Williamson - 2016/09/20 22:06:44 UTC

There's a big discussion just been started in the U.K. about the influence of modern harness/glider/helmet setups on spinal injuries, following a few serious incidents here.
Super! I'll bet we'll be seeing something concrete coming out of it any day now. Keep up the great work!
NMERider - 2016/09/20 22:41:07 UTC

I have read the discussion on British Hangies that Nick started and I'd suggest starting a new topic (thread) here if you want to discuss it.
No. I wanna hear the revolutionary insights here and now.
I'd rather not speculate on the precise nature of Ron's impact or internal injury here.
Absorbed all the impact with his head. Salad bowl on a string for a helmet. Vegged.
Let's wait for Ron himself to recover and offer his knowledge when the time arrives.
Don't hold your breath.
He's a healthy and motivated person.
Was.
I know people who came back from long comas and serious internal injuries.
Came back as what and for how long?
Thermalfinder - 2016/09/20 23:11:15 UTC

In my opinion...like advanced paragliders topless h-gliders are unforgiving advanced-plus rated so riskier than sport-class.
Yeah. If Ron had had something with a crappier glide ratio he wouldn't have tried for that field.
Sustainability may require all sport-class glider fields.
In other words... All these Three and Four rating spot landing requirements are 100.00 percent totally fucking useless out in the REAL world - and much worse than that in the practice environments.
Better fundamentals & training may also help 8-)
1. Ya think?
2. So point to one single school, program instructor anywhere on the planet who's teaching and training appropriately.
3. Any thoughts on the assholes who signed Ron off on his Ratings and Special Skills? Just kidding.
Patrick Halfhill - 2016/09/21 00:23:07 UTC

these new topless kites are really easy to fly
Funny the way Ron didn't.
NMERider - 2016/09/21 01:11:29 UTC

They sure are. But they still rely on pendulum stability and control which has inherent limits that easily be exceeded.
And they don't fly through trees very well.
It's easier now than ever to develop a false sense of security and get into trouble.
Just never do a hook-in check. Problem solved.
It's up to each pilot to create an imaginary set of boundaries based on time of day, location, weather, terrain, health and any other relevant factor then not venture outside those boundaries.
Ron did. They were way too narrow though.
It's up to each pilot to periodically update this set of boundaries on an active and ongoing basis or as needed before and during each flight.
When was the last time anyone else reading this...
Meaning only people on Davis's approved list.
...sat down and discussed with anyone else what I just stated in the two lines above?
Nobody had time. Everybody was out on the training hill perfecting his flare timing.
I ask because this is what active risk management is and frankly, I don't find too many pilots engaged in this process--at least not that I'm aware.
Just use an appropriate weak link with a finished length of 1.5 inches or less. It will break before you can get into too much trouble.
That simple two line process can be the difference between a happy ending and a sad one and I have lost count of the number of friends and associates who failed to engage this process and had a sad ending.
From the half dozen 2-man practice task races I have done I had to learn to integrate this risk assessment process into my strategizing to win the task.
It's very easy for me to get so wrapped up in winning that I forget I need to land in one piece to do the next race task and the one after that.
That's not what happened with Ron. He selected the safest looking field he could find and executed the safest possible approach - just as he was trained. (Joe Julik comes to mind. (Also Joe Greblo.)
Jeff Chipman - 2016/09/21 04:22:35 UTC

I'm pretty sure he may be speaking of task selection. This day there was a small discussion (if you could even say it was a discussion since only Davis spoke up).
Like what happens when appropriate bridles and weak links are determined for everyone for the beginning of the flight. (And anybody else who speaks up...

http://www.chgpa.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3600
Weak link question
Jim Rooney - 2008/11/24 05:18:15 UTC

BTW, if you think I'm just spouting theory here, I've personally refused to tow a flight park owner over this very issue. I didn't want to clash, but I wasn't towing him. Yup, he wanted to tow with a doubled up weaklink. He eventually towed (behind me) with a single and sorry to disappoint any drama mongers, we're still friends. And lone gun crazy Rooney? Ten other tow pilots turned him down that day for the same reason.
...can go fuck himself.
What did he speak up about? It was that the second turnpoint really didn't have any good landing options compared to other TP's available in the vicinity.
Oh. So despite the fact that everyone and his dog start training from Day 1, Flight 1 to safely land in narrow dry riverbeds with large rocks strewn all over the place and never stop, actual comp pilots actually need actual safe landing fields within range at all times. Who'da thunk.
On our way into the second TP, I report my progress and altitude a Ron warns me that he's struggling and to make sure I have the altitude before heading into the 2nd TP.
You mean the way he didn't have much altitude before heading to his target field and total squandered what he did have when he arrived?
As I climbed above Derrick Turner, I finally near 4900' assuring the TP. On the way there is see two gliders looking like they are flying in formation leaving the mountains low. Turns out this would be Ron and John Simon. I looked for a while but had my own task to fly. There didn't look like much out there as stated hours earlier by Davis.
Good ol' Davis. Always working his ass off to ensure that all pilots always have the widest safety margins passible.

This task put pleanty of pilots in perilous landing situations.
No it didn't. No pilots had guns to their heads being forced to fly out low over injun country.
But I don't really think we had an adequate discussion on the merits of choosing TP I885 over I8Stan which would have been a safer alternative.

However this was my best flight of the competition placing 12th for the day. But mostly thanks to my buddy Ron who was basically telling me to downshift, which I did.

This time I'm telling him to speed up his recovery because we miss him.
Too late.
Doug M - 2016/09/26 02:48:02 UTC

May I suggest that most every pilot needs to heavily concentrate on his / her landing skills.
Smaller old Frisbees in middles of primary LZs. More perfected flare timing.
So many comp pilots (at least in vids that I've studied as well as watching the shenanigans at the LZ's) have some very atrocious landing mechanics and seemingly little understanding of airflow at ground level...
Tell me how landing mechanics and airflow at ground level had any bearing whatsoever on Ron's crash.
...yet they are quite adept at sniffing out the slightest of thermals.
Upright, with their hands on the control tubes at shoulder or ear height.
Seemingly, too many believe the gear will help save them (helmets).
1. (Rooney Links.)

2. Bull fucking shit. NOBODY takes a greater chance of smashng his head into something because of groater confidence in the quality of his helmet.
As any long-lived, experienced motorcyclist will tell you, helmets will only help in a very slight glancing blow, and / or VERY slow speed impact.
Why does one need to be long-lived and experienced to understand that?
Too much acceleration (or de-acceleration to non-physics types)...
Meaning all hang glider pilots.
...will obviously permanently injure the brain.
http://ozreport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=25015
Zippy pounds in
Davis Straub - 2011/09/02 18:37:09 UTC

Concussions are in fact very serious and have life long effects. The last time I was knocked out what in 9th grade football. I have felt the effects of that ever since. It changes your wiring.
The only way to limit the excessive acceleration of the brain is to keep the head from hitting anything immovable.
Like the ground. So ya always wanna get bolt upright with your hands high on the control tubes...
John Simon - 2009/01

I intended to make a nice, long, straight final while upright on the downtubes - conservative and safe.
...right at the beginning of your nice, long, straight final - conservative and safe.
Most motorcycle accidents that involve head injuries involve riders with low experience and/or those that have not had any formal ride training nor accident evasion training. The brand of helmet (contrary to what all the helmet manufacturers will tell you) really does not matter.
Got that much bloody well right.
What really needs to happen in our chosen sport is for ALL pilots to better understand landing mechanics. Use those non-soarable days for landing practice. Get your clubs to implement landing clinics, with the help of someone who really knows his / her craft (landing skills).
1. Ryan Instant-Hands-Free-Release Voight, Jim Keen-Intellect Rooney, Mitch Shipley - the people who are never around participating in any of these postmortem discussions.

2. Bull fucking shit. If these assholes who really know their craft (landing skills) their expertise would be assimilated by their students and infused into the culture and the aforementioned assholes would become redundant. This crap we hear in hang gliding endlessly decade after decade doesn't exist in CONVENTIONAL aviation 'cause landing ain't all that complicated and there's only so good you can get at it. And when people crash on landings there's never any great mystery as to why and the reason is never because they hadn't adequately mastered the understandings and techniques.
Too many instructors believe they know how to land, but it is usually in very controlled, easy environments that they practice.
It's ALWAYS and ONLY in very controlled, easy, fake environments that they practice and show everybody how great they are.

18-3806
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2929/14082628227_f96a81b821_o.png
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3786/14082586920_34b189f5c2_o.png
20-4106

None of these fucking douchebags fly XC scratching in light thermals low over injun country. If they did we'd see them getting busted up, vegged, killed along with everybody else.

60-34928
http://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1618/25962147565_61631bc627_o.png
http://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1485/25962144855_8d0a7dff0c_o.png
64-35902

Then they wouldn't have their precious fake reputations to fall back on.
We must practice landings more often in non-perfect conditions. Cross winds, tight approaches, with and without drogues, bla bla bla bla bla.
We just did. That's how Ron got vegged. And now everybody's screaming about not having comp XC routes that that involve non-perfect conditions, crosswinds, tight approaches, bla bla bla...
We needto have more tools on our belts rather than more safety equipment that only come into play when we F-up...
Would that include Low Turns to Final?
(NOT that I am against safety equipment and safety procedures).
'Cause if it does I don't recall you speaking up on Telepilot's Jack Show thread.
Any good GA or commercial pilot will practice many, many touch-and-goes and short landings to keep his landing skills up.
1. Super. And I'll bet they're all masters and coming into marginal fields they've never seen before low with engines out.
2. Short landings? What are those? The concept doesn't exist in hang gliding.
We need to do the same.
Great. You be first and post some of your better videos. I'll be over here holding my breath.
Perhaps one of the best methods for quickly getting back into the air after each landing is by scooter tow. Logistics and property to execute this are not always easy, but it's something to think about.
And scooter tow is such an excellent tool for teaching challenging approaches to severely limited cactus infested landing fields.
Just like XC practice, we all need more landing practice to hone our skills so that we may fly again.
Bull fucking shit. Ron's disaster had shit to do with skills and everything to do with fundamental theory and judgment. Do ANYTHING in this game in which your safety dependent on finely honed skills and you WILL get bit.
Davis Straub - 2016/09/26 03:39:58 UTC

That's exactly why scooter towing is the superior teaching method.
Practice, practice, practice.
Suck my dick, Davis - times three.
Bille Floyd - 2016/09/26 19:33:18 UTC

I don't like towing ; but i would do a scooter-tow with an attentive operator , (even with the fake feet) !!
Which match your fake brain.
Greg Kendall - 2016/09/28 05:48:17 UTC

I'd just like to point out that there's a big difference between landing practice and out-landing practice.
"Big" doesn't scratch the surface.
I looked at Ron's LZ. It's tight because there are power lines on two sides and trees on the remainder. Ron is an experienced XC and competition pilot. Hopefully we'll get the whole story when he wakes up, but I suspect he cut it close to the trees because he was worried about overshooting into the power lines.
Bull fucking shit. Did you look at the Airtribune animation?
Leaving the hills low and heading for a collection of previously unseen, marginal LZs results in a lot of decision making. The practice that one gets from a scooter tow (while valuable)...
For the operator.
...is only a fraction of what is needed to consistently make safe out-landings.
It's ten miles south of TOTALLY USELESS. Every MINUTE wasted on scooter tow is a minute forever lost to learning and/or practicing something of ACTUAL VALUE.

And if that's not true then where are all the really accomplished XC flyers - and I'll cite Jonathan as a - probably THE - top example of someone with a lot of success dealing with a lot of extremely hostile XC landing environments - raving about scooter tow practice and spending every third weekend so engaged?
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

Ron Keinan
Nrogado - 2016/09/28 07:59:38 UTC

Approach more important than landing
What's an "approach"?
This is really an issue... I'm a beginner and everyone practices landings...
Because nobody can ever actually DO what hang gliding defines as a landing.
...and of course landings include approaches...
Long straight ones upright to old Frisbees in middles of LZs.
...but theoretic approaches are always easy ones and by the book: U, S, 8, O... whatever...
Whatever, of course, excluding Low Turns to Final.
1) National authorities for each country should be responsible to implement the same procedures for aviation, like having an accident investigation being public to distribute the knowledge about the findings...
Have you noticed that for the past few decades u$hPa does the precise opposite of all that?
2) National authorities should also create for each flying site the take-offs conditions and landing approaches recommended...
1. Site specific, of course.
2. And all possible landing options within a 200 mile radius of launch. (After that you're on your own.)
3) For each competition there should be landing zones identified for each possible path... before the competition all that information should be made available electronically so it can be uploaded to each one devices... in aviation we call it planning and it's stated that planning should be part of Hang Gliding but actually I don't see a consistency planning across all hang glider flyers... (may be that's why they call it free flight? is the "free flight" words being misinterpreted?)... (planning can include several options taken during the flight...)

With these 3 points in place Hang Glider pilots would be really helped to make or be prepared for better and easier decisions...
How 'bout if we just develop some BASIC COMPETENCE and keep reasonably safe landing options in range at all times?
Best wishes for your recovery Ron!
Me too!
Davis Straub - 2016/09/29 00:26:05 UTC

National authorities?
What are those?
That would be YOU, Davis. Now that your little cocksucker buddy in New Zealand has been massively and permanently discredited.
Sergey Kataev - 2016/10/03 04:23:33 UTC

Any updates on Ron's condition?
Yeah...
Jeff Chipman - 2016/10/03 21:20:36 UTC

From Ron's brother Tal on October 1st:
Day 15: Ron Keinan's condition has gradually improved. Yesterday we were able to transfer him from Phoenix to UCLA Neuro ICU, where he will begin long-term neurological therapy. Although he is not entirely out of the woods, his pulmonary and orthopedic recoveries have been substantial...
Crap.
Jim Gaar - 2016/10/04 12:01:15 UTC

Love sent your way...

Get well Ron. We are rooting for you out here and are keeping you in our thoughts.
Fuck you, Rodie.
George Stebbins 2016/10/04 17:10:11 UTC
Greg Kendall - 2016/09/28 5:48:17 UTC

I'd just like to point out that there's a big difference between landing practice and out-landing practice...
This is absolutely right. The skills for picking out a field and executing a landing in an unknown LZ are in addition to the skills needed to execute a good landing.
Meaning a good FOOT landing.
However, if you are distracted thinking or worrying about the landing itself...
Or some other useless stupid bullshit they feed you in training - like whether or not your carabiner is locked.
...you have less attention to deal with the unknown field.
In which case you deserve to leave the gene pool anyway.
Despite what many people tell us, research has consistently shown that humans are terrible at multi-tasking.
Thanks George. Big help.
If you are thinking about the mechanics of your landing...
Meaning the foot landing you Grebloville douchebags are always shoving down everybody's throats.
...you aren't going to do as good a job on the critical planning stages of landing in an unknown field. Practice that drives the mechanics of landing deep into your brain takes that distraction away during the approach phase.
And increases your probability of breaking an arm by a factor of fifty or so.
As for the landing practice itself, I've been known to say from time to time: "How good can you be at something that you do for only 10 seconds twice a week?"
Depends a lot on how stupidly and dangerously complex you make an otherwise simple brain dead easy task.
Insert your own timetable in that sentence and for almost all of us, it is still eye opening.
Insert this, George.
I wish there was some scooter towing available within a few hours drive of here...
Me too. Then all the XC guys could spend their weekends perfecting their flare timing.
Some things that build the skills for out landings without much of the risk: Fly other sites. Fly new sites. When you fly, picture landing in the "normal" field a different way. If it is safe to do so, actually land a different way. (Left vs right hand approach, pretend there are obstacles, mentally do an RLF, etc.)
Just make sure your RLF square has thousand foot sides so's you can keep the glider level below two hundred feet - with a nice smooth headwind of course.
When you are on the ground, and pass a field, picture how you'd enter it with different wind direction/speed/gustiness. Then when you do begin XC, start with big, flat, open fields. Heck, that's a good thing anyway! Image
Yeah, that's what they're looking at for future XC comps - since they're now running so critically low on competitors.
I'm sure others have more and better suggestions.
Ooh! Ooh! Ooh!
These are just off the top of my head.

Get Well, Ron
Right.
Ben Reese - 2016/10/07 01:36:12 UTC

Good advice George..
Look George! An endorsement from Ben Reese!
Jeff Chipman - 2016/10/10 22:07:59 UTC

From Phill Bloom 10/9/2016...
Sergey Kataev - 2016/10/10 22:34:21 UTC

Good to hear that, thanks Chippy!
Jeff Chipman - 2016/10/12 04:55:00 UTC

More news from Rob Burgis today...
End of thread. No more updates on Ron's progress. Which tells us...
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

Just a wrap-up on this terribly sad devastating crash that destroyed somebody's life and trashed the lives of a lot of people close to him...

One of the most dangerous things one can do with a hang glider into which one is actually hooked is to clip a tree at the edge of a landing field. The top priority of every flight should be to not clip a tree at the edge of a landing field. And in the absence of the u$hPa assumed infinite runway / all REAL world flights your prospects of continuing a flying career will be dependent on being in close proximity to a treetop as you turn onto final. (And if they don't you MUST assume and practice as if they DO 'cause at some point in the course of a well rounded flying career they WILL.)

Main rules by which to live:
- ALWAYS get close to your critical treetop with lotsa airspeed / crisp control authority.
- If you get into a situation in which you're gonna clip the treetop DIVE THE GLIDER INTO THE TREETOP.

Here's the field again - rotated ninety degrees clockwise / to north right with a light ENE wind:

http://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4322/36174358205_642ab63e82_o.png

The OBVIOUS critical treetop is off the SW corner of the field:

- maximum useable runway

- straightish light headwind

- closest point with respect to Ron's low glide situation (he and John having bailed from the mountains (shy of Turnpoint 2 still way the hell to their south) on a NNE heading)

Instead he crosses the powerlines at the farther south corner at ninety feet AGL. If he'd done the near one he'd have arrived with over a hundred feet with which to play around and properly line up for final.

Then he boxes the field - rounding off the north end a bit - and gravity ends the discussion 120 yards short of the limiting east-west powerlines. Boxing a field has two purposes:
(a) checking out field and any relevant wind drift issues
(b) killing excess altitude

Given that he'd already pretty much taken care of (b) by stretching his glide a bit into iffy range he no longer had the luxury of a leisurely (a) and needed to multitask any final checking out issues with the much more critical mission of getting the glider to the first end of final. And that would've totally easily doable.

He could've maybe pulled a 360 or definitely sped NNW (crosswind), snapped a 180, returned to the corner, rolled out NE, pulled in, skimmed until the glider got tired of flying ground effect. And either way we're talking about a Low Turn to Final as being the keystone to this critical RLF situation.

And note that THERE ARE NO TREETOPS/OBSTRUCTIONS at the SW corner. The junk that brought him down was the worst available (having thrived in the wettest soil available - along the draw) and couldn't have been much more than fifteen feet and it dwarfs the stuff on the optimal final line which would've been out of range below.

Should've been a total no brainer once something halfway close to the optimal final glidepath had been entered. And as things WERE executed it was a total brain destroyer.

He was prone trying to stretch his glide the extra fifty feet he needed to get his beautiful glider back into the field he should've never gotten out of and at a bit before that point he needed to have reassessed his situation, pulled in, and flared into the side of the one that ended up getting him. He and his glider could've probably still come out smelling like roses.

Ron Keinan
John Simon - 2016/09/20 19:50:38 UTC

It appeared he clipped a tree on approach, the LZ was indeed a nice one, completely devoid of obstacles excepting the low trees on the sides. It was not super big though and would require a good approach.

The wind had hurt our glides and we hadn't planned well enough. There were reasonable alternatives, although none were wide open like the primary and all would require a good approach.
50 Davis Show posts. 29 Grebloville posts. (And The Jack Show (along with u$hPa) never heard of him. NOBODY describes anything along the lines of what a good approach should've been.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

NMERider - 2017/07/26 05:09:13 UTC

It's not like there's any money in comps other than transpiration subsidies for the few who make the world team. So why be a hero? It's a largely pointless activity that few even care about.
I don't like comps (as things have (d)evolved) or the motherfuckers who run them. Pretty much all Davis and his enablers. They inherently DO inspire shavings of safety margins, violations of standards above and beyond the crap that the sport in general has engineered. And people who otherwise wouldn't push limits and DO consequently get trashed and killed way above what we'd see from garden variety weekend recreational flying.

BUT...

Lotsa comp carnage that we see can't, shouldn't be blamed on comps. For comps people are concentrating a lot more flights into short time windows than they do the rest of the year, launch and retrieval resources are greatly concentrated and streamlined, and the conditions are always gonna be max soarable/turbulent/dangerous.

And people are more inclined to fly XC which means lotsa non primary Happy Acres putting greens landings. Which is not necessarily the same as pushing one's luck into injun country.

Paul Vernon, John Claytor (knew him well for many years), Jeff Bohl were definite comp casualties. Paul flying XC for which he had had no competent training, John and Jeff flying the mandatory cheap shit alleged towing equipment they would've been anyway on improvised crosswind runways they wouldn't have been.

But not Ron. If he'd stayed with John Simon there's little chance that he'd have done any worse than the light bonk John had. And the field he chose was easily doable for a One qualifying for his Two. It would make an infinitely better primary than the piece o' crap in which I had to put my Comet down to score my Three in the summer of '82. And it's totally wheel landable.

If we WANT TO define that comp XC route as dangerous - and we justifiably CAN 'cause the desert scrub makes wheel landings iffy propositions at best and the "primary" is an iffy glide out in the middle of injun country - then we've gotta admit that hang gliders CANNOT be safely consistently foot landed in real world conditions and that all training programs geared to perfecting foot landings are total frauds. And this admission HAS effectively been made in the course of the Davis Show post-Keinan discussion.

And stemming from that we've gotta admit that u$hPa's definition of a hang glider - an unpowered aircraft capable of being foot launched and landed - is totally bogus. And I'd be totally for that 'cause then we could start treating hang gliders as what they actually are - foldable car-top-able sailplanes.
In the past 20 years have any pilots even gotten laid by virtue of being a hang glider pilot to wow an interested partner?
Probably not. For that you wanna be a tandem thrill ride driver - hang or para. Check out Jim Keen-Intellect Rooney's avatars. All tandems with DIFFERENT cute young chicks. One night stands. After a max of 36 hours association the stupidest person on the planet is gonna realize what a total sociopath he is and have nothing further to do with him. Also notice that all his regular glider friends are anonymous and imaginary.

And after getting choppered off of Coronet Peak for a second time for a second national news making consequential tandem fuck-up I'm pretty confident that that game is permanently over. And I'm pretty sure he doesn't have a US to go back to either.
I'm thrilled if the land owner doesn't call the sheriff and have me cited for trespass. That's about as heroic as it gets for me. An offer of a cold one even if it's a can of soda is a major accomplishment.
I've had some really great contacts in this neck of the woods - interest, phones, drinks, help with glider, food, dinner, rides... A few couldn't care less. A couple really ugly ones leaving me wishing they'd roast in flaming bedrooms that night and forever in hell thereafter.

Eventually found that I was perfectly happy towing up, getting up to cloudbase, hanging out for a couple hours, landing next to my car. That became a memory for me after the 2008 season and for all the assholes in this neck of the woods after the 2015 season.
NMERider

Post by NMERider »

The ability to descend steeply without accelerating is of tremendous value for landing in limited and unfamiliar places.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ih6PUKYyERU
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

Yeah but you're actually landing in a place that couldn't be much more unlimited and familiar. And while Southern California guys DO tend to know what a narrow dry riverbed with large rocks strewn all over the place is they tend to have no fuckin' clue what an obstructed field is or how to deal with it - which is why Ron Keinan came to the end he did.

And the ability to descend steeply without accelerating is the precise opposite of the one Ron needed in the final seconds of his life as he knew it.

And we really shouldn't be landing in limited and unfamiliar places anyway. We virtually never need to and, in fact, DON'T. We're supposed to fly XC keeping safe options within reasonable range at all times and be able to get to them with enough altitude margin to be able to familiarize ourselves with them enough to make any necessary adjustments.

And in even in Ron's case, which is being viewed as off the acceptable risk scale, he HAD his option, in reasonable range (in addition to John Simon's more in range option), and he DID arrive with enough extra altitude to familiarize himself with the layout - not that there was all that much to it. He just squandered his margin starting before he arrived (at the far south corner) and failed to respond appropriately after screwing Pooch 1.

I think I've seen you land ONCE in a situation in which a drag chute was a really good idea:

38-4501
http://c1.staticflickr.com/1/717/22534744079_b8ae539b3b_o.png

And:
- The advantage you had wasn't because the zone was limited and unfamiliar but because you needed to nail an extremely tight spot within the zone.
- I'm sure you'd agree with me that:
-- If you tried to get away with stuff like that every other weekend your career would soon be over or majorly interrupted.
-- We shouldn't be encouraging anybody to follow that lead. (Compare/Contrast that one with Ron's.)

And I notice you didn't say anything about...

http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=27415
Friday the 19th with Hawks & Friends!
NMERider - 2012/10/24 21:47:05 UTC

I have to say that landing on the wheels is so much fun it's not funny.
...FUN.

http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=34985
Low Turns to Final
Jason - 2016/12/21 16:27:40 UTC

with sufficient airspeed in calm conditions, they can be fun
low fast finals in a high performance wing can be a lot of fun
Telepilot - 2016/12/21 17:44:24 UTC

Second, yea, long fast finals are fun and so are the low turns to final with a bunch of airspeed.
Steve Corbin - 2016/12/24 03:23:07 UTC

Let's face facts. Flying low is fun, and flying low and fast is even more fun.
Ryan Voight - 2016/12/29 01:16:35 UTC

Flying low there is fun...
Stoubie - 2016/12/29 17:15:29 UTC

They do it because it is fun and that is the point of the sport, to do it because its fun.
I've got real mixed feelings about the drag chute. I can see it as a valuable piece of emergency equipment like a regular reserve parachute or a non Quavis/Rooney weak link. And somebody's gotta develop and test fly it and work out procedures. But like the devices I mentioned we shouldn't:
- get into situations in which they're put or come into play
- expect to come out smelling like roses when/because/after they've been put into play

And if everyone and his dog starts tossing a drag chute every time he gets in range of a Keinan or Carrillos class field what few molecules worth of RLF competence exist in this sport now totally vaporize.

This approach - which isn't even an RLF but illustrates something along the lines of the elements:

36-2422
http://c1.staticflickr.com/1/632/22730220650_6073e2ffbf_o.png
http://c1.staticflickr.com/1/620/22526059899_6c7ef5a7d1_o.png
55-3708

is beautiful and fun to watch. Not so much with configurations designed to kill glider performance.

And here's a thought...

Define hang gliding as flying a certified glider only in certified configuration - properly maintained, assembled, preflighted; prone; both hands on the control bar; properly trimmed. If you foot launch the clock doesn't start until you transition to flying mode (five seconds after leaving the ramp for Christopher). Easily reachable Industry Standard releases... hang gliders aren't certified to be flown with one hand. Aerotow pro toad - not until after you've pried open your easily reachable bent pin barrel release and gotten into flying mode. Leave your tow bridle welded to the truck and hook it over an outboard wheel extension... Rotate upright on approach for better roll control and flare authority and you've started participating in the sport of stunt landing.

Airtime accumulated, crashes precipitated during / as consequences of the other modes are not attributed to hang gliding.

The insurance companies would be lining up to do business with us.
NMERider

Post by NMERider »

Tad Eareckson wrote:Yeah but you're actually landing in a place that couldn't be much more unlimited and familiar. And while Southern California guys DO tend to know what a narrow dry riverbed with large rocks strewn all over the place is they tend to have no fuckin' clue what an obstructed field is or how to deal with it - which is why Ron Keinan came to the end he did....
The problem has been that far too many pilots have been far too lucky far too many times and so when their luck runs out it tends to be catastrophic.
...And the ability to descend steeply without accelerating is the precise opposite of the one Ron needed in the final seconds of his life as he knew it...
The trouble with clipping a treetop and not clinging to it is when you fall out, you have little airspeed and just lob head-first into the ground. The results tend to be catastrophic.
With a good drogue chute and when landing in a clearing I can come in with more clearance above obstructions and dive down to ground skim altitude without worrying about overshooting the field.
If it's a really confined area then I'm going to use my reserve. The glider is steerable and should get a ~1:1 L/D with the reserve deployed. There's no reason not to keep this as a backup plan.
...And we really shouldn't be landing in limited and unfamiliar places anyway. We virtually never need to and, in fact, DON'T. We're supposed to fly XC keeping safe options within reasonable range at all times and be able to get to them with enough altitude margin to be able to familiarize ourselves with them enough to make any necessary adjustments...
What we 'should' and what we're 'supposed' to do and what we do have a lot of mutual exclusivity. I don't consider hang glider pilots to be all that obedient or well-behaved. If we were, the serious injury and fatality rate would be pretty slim rather than what it has been during the nine years I've been back in the sport.
...And in even in Ron's case, which is being viewed as off the acceptable risk scale, he HAD his option, in reasonable range (in addition to John Simon's more in range option), and he DID arrive with enough extra altitude to familiarize himself with the layout - not that there was all that much to it. He just squandered his margin starting before he arrived (at the far south corner) and failed to respond appropriately after screwing Pooch 1...
I have not spoken with Ron since before his accident and don't know what he recalls. However, what you are describing sounds like prudent practice for any pilot landing out regardless of how they got there. Yesterday I landed out on what has to be the easiest golf course fairway on the planet to land out. Few trees. No powerlines. Mostly flat fairways. A fountain whose mist clearly showed the surface winds. Large pendants that also showed the winds. The wind was shadowed on the deck since I landed in the lee, 300yds downwind of the 2-story clubhouse. I ran like heck after I flared to avoid dropping the glider. Nothing touched the ground so no divot to replace. An attendant welcomed me and directed me to a well-shaded area behind the trajectory of tee shots. Did I mention the beer cart that came rolling by? That was a nice touch. The course is beneath class C airspace but the floor is 3,000' MSL and I was certain to break off my low-save attempt when I hit 2,900' and realized it was too late in the day to be playing hero and went for the easy win. And therein lies the rub. Too many pilots whether they are cognizant of this or not--want to play hero or want to prove something. The more I have come to realize what a fool's errand it is to try and prove anything in this sport, the fewer and more minor my accidents have become. If I wanted to be heroic or prove something about myself yesterday I would have landed in either of the two, somewhat sketchy bailouts out club normally uses. I even radioed our club president to see whether there were any restrictions against using the golf course and he could not think of any. So I was extra cautious about the whole endeavor rather than heroic. The last pilot to land there was purely by mistake many years ago and that was it. We really should not be using it except in emergencies such as when there's a fire between us and our LZ. This happened many years ago which would have placed five gliders into a bailout that doesn't accommodate five gliders. In that case I radioed ahead to have a club member on the ground call the USFS fire captain and get permission for everyone to fly over the chopper and get to the LZ.

The Los Angeles Basin is one of the worst places to fly X/C in the US and this is principally due to just how bad the bailout options are. It was my impetus to find a better drogue chute design and get it into production. Meanwhile the PG have discovered how good it can be for them since the landing options that punish HGs tend to work fine for PGs and there are lots more of them too.

Not only do heroes with things to prove injure or kill themselves but they encourage or provoke similar or worse behavior in others. Like guys who ridicule pilots who use wheels or who preach that acro flying is a desirable way to promote the sport. The list is pretty long.
....I think I've seen you land ONCE in a situation in which a drag chute was a really good idea:
And:
- The advantage you had wasn't because the zone was limited and unfamiliar but because you needed to nail an extremely tight spot within the zone.
- I'm sure you'd agree with me that:
-- If you tried to get away with stuff like that every other weekend your career would soon be over or majorly interrupted.
-- We shouldn't be encouraging anybody to follow that lead. (Compare/Contrast that one with Ron's.)...
There are many more unpublished landings in which a drogue was a good call. I don't encourage anyone to 'follow in my wing-flaps'.
I spend more time counseling pilots into not attempting ill-prepared X/C excursions than I can keep track of.
I also spend time debriefing those who did but shouldn't have in order to prevent repeats.
...And I notice you didn't say anything about...

http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=27415
Friday the 19th with Hawks & Friends!
NMERider - 2012/10/24 21:47:05 UTC

I have to say that landing on the wheels is so much fun it's not funny.
I'm not the best at keeping track of old posts. I tend to write stuff and forget it. I'm interested in new stuff more than old although I do like history.
...FUN.

http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=34985
Low Turns to Final
Jason - 2016/12/21 16:27:40 UTC

with sufficient airspeed in calm conditions, they can be fun
low fast finals in a high performance wing can be a lot of fun
Telepilot - 2016/12/21 17:44:24 UTC

Second, yea, long fast finals are fun and so are the low turns to final with a bunch of airspeed.
Steve Corbin - 2016/12/24 03:23:07 UTC

Let's face facts. Flying low is fun, and flying low and fast is even more fun.
Ryan Voight - 2016/12/29 01:16:35 UTC

Flying low there is fun...
Stoubie - 2016/12/29 17:15:29 UTC

They do it because it is fun and that is the point of the sport, to do it because its fun.
If we placed each and every one of these pilots into the same situation as the POWs were in during The Deer Hunter do you think they'd think it was fun?
But why do they feel that placing themselves into as risky a situation with an equally bad outcome prospect is fun?
...I've got real mixed feelings about the drag chute. I can see it as a valuable piece of emergency equipment like a regular reserve parachute or a non Quavis/Rooney weak link. And somebody's gotta develop and test fly it and work out procedures. But like the devices I mentioned we shouldn't:
- get into situations in which they're put or come into play
- expect to come out smelling like roses when/because/after they've been put into play

And if everyone and his dog starts tossing a drag chute every time he gets in range of a Keinan or Carrillos class field what few molecules worth of RLF competence exist in this sport now totally vaporize....
Hopefully, pilots would not let their unassisted RLF landing skills decline. It is just a hope. Where I get mixed feelings is if everybody has a powerful and reliable drogue chute will everyone then up his game so that these become essential rather than just an occasional accessory? In my own case I fly lines that I'd never attempt without a reliable drogue. I have upped my game but I have very little to prove; I'm the farthest thing from a hero; and I don't compete formally but I do compete one-on-one for training. And so I do push it during one-on-one training and have had to use a drogue when I've squeezed myself out of the sky.
...This approach - which isn't even an RLF but illustrates something along the lines of the elements:
36-2422....

is beautiful and fun to watch. Not so much with configurations designed to kill glider performance....
That was the only part about that test flight on that demo glider I enjoyed. It dove and zoomed really well and was easy to land on a Frisbee between boulders in a dry riverbed.
My name isn't Dense Pages and I fly a lot of gliders I dislike including my own. But when I own the glider I also get to tune it to my liking. I own the glider that Ron lobbed in on and hated it until I corrected the tuning, which took me multiple iterations. When I was an amateur telescope builder I was even more fussy about telescope tuning.
....And here's a thought...

Define hang gliding as flying a certified glider only in certified configuration - properly maintained, assembled, preflighted; prone; both hands on the control bar; properly trimmed. If you foot launch the clock doesn't start until you transition to flying mode (five seconds after leaving the ramp for Christopher). Easily reachable Industry Standard releases... hang gliders aren't certified to be flown with one hand. Aerotow pro toad - not until after you've pried open your easily reachable bent pin barrel release and gotten into flying mode. Leave your tow bridle welded to the truck and hook it over an outboard wheel extension... Rotate upright on approach for better roll control and flare authority and you've started participating in the sport of stunt landing.

Airtime accumulated, crashes precipitated during / as consequences of the other modes are not attributed to hang gliding.

The insurance companies would be lining up to do business with us.
When I came back after 26 years I was amazed the sport still existed. During the subsequent nine years I can only scratch my head and wonder. But then I look around at all the crime and mayhem everywhere and it doesn't seem so unlikely that it still exists.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

The problem has been that far too many pilots have been far too lucky far too many times and so when their luck runs out it tends to be catastrophic.
I think that's a good assessment of the guys who refuse to do hook-in checks and stomp tests - meaning EVERYBODY - but not so much for Ron. I'd venture a guess that he:
- was never:
-- landing in situations that required doing things right
-- running RLF drills in any of the Happy Acres putting greens in which he was actually landing
- got his RLF and XC Special Skills signed off by some criminally negligent bozo posing as an instructor (meaning ANY instructor)
and the first time he ever got into a situation that required doing a few things right he didn't do anything right.
The trouble with clipping a treetop and not clinging to it is when you fall out, you have little airspeed and just lob head-first into the ground. The results tend to be catastrophic.
XC 101. That's been so deeply ingrained in my DNA for so long I have no recollection of when or how it got there. But I'm pretty sure that back in the day there was no shortage of relevant educational material in the fatality reports.
With a good drogue chute and when landing in a clearing I can come in with more clearance above obstructions and dive down to ground skim altitude without worrying about overshooting the field.
When landing in a clearing - which is damn near always the case in Eastern mountain flying - I can and do come in with zilch clearance above or inside of and below obstructions and dive down to ground skim altitude without worrying about overshooting the field without a good - or crappy - drag chute.
If it's a really confined area then I'm going to use my reserve.
If it's a REALLY confined area you're not gonna have any choice.
The glider is steerable and should get a ~1:1 L/D with the reserve deployed. There's no reason not to keep this as a backup plan.
Correct. But there aren't a lot of good reasons to get into a situation in which this is needed as a backup plan.
What we 'should' and what we're 'supposed' to do and what we do have a lot of mutual exclusivity. I don't consider hang glider pilots to be all that obedient or well-behaved. If we were, the serious injury and fatality rate would be pretty slim rather than what it has been during the nine years I've been back in the sport.
Continuing on the 'supposed to' theme... We're SUPPOSED TO have a Pilot Proficiency System - complete with competent instruction, training programs, standards and signoffs that actually mean something. When something like that becomes the total farce it did eons ago the Jack Show Acceptable Opinions System rushes in to fill the void.

"Howdy folks, I'm new here, just got rated for high flight and AT at Lockout last month and have a new Sport 2... Can y'all please explain to me all the stuff I paid them to get qualified for but still have no clue whatsoever?"

"Welcome aboard, dude! Here are the top fifteen opinions on why you should never do the stomp test specified in the preflight procedures of your owner's manual."
I have not spoken with Ron since before his accident...
Crash.
...and don't know what he recalls.
Zilch. But thank gawd for Airtribune and those news photos you found.
However, what you are describing sounds like prudent practice for any pilot landing out regardless of how they got there.
That used to be XC 101. But the Davis Show discussion seems to be entirely about not routing comp tasks over any terrain that requires Three level competency.
...I ran like heck after I flared to avoid dropping the glider.
Why didn't you just?:

10-3319
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3720/14082540059_17241afb38_o.png
13-3610
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2923/14265876351_f81052e5e2_o.png
16-3713
http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5151/14082589410_dde239dffb_o.png
18-3806
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2929/14082628227_f96a81b821_o.png
20-4106
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3786/14082586920_34b189f5c2_o.png

The way all the cool guys who've never flown XC always do? (On the videos they let us see anyway.)
Nothing touched the ground so no divot to replace. An attendant welcomed me and directed me to a well-shaded area behind the trajectory of tee shots. Did I mention the beer cart that came rolling by? That was a nice touch.
No thanks. Gimme a narrow dry riverbed with large rocks strewn all over the place any day of the week. That other stuff is for girls.
Too many pilots whether they are cognizant of this or not--want to play hero or want to prove something.
In a dickhead magnet sport/culture what else would you expect?
The more I have come to realize what a fool's errand it is to try and prove anything in this sport, the fewer and more minor my accidents have become.
Just keep working on perfecting that flare timing though.
The Los Angeles Basin is one of the worst places to fly X/C in the US and this is principally due to just how bad the bailout options are.
1. See above.

2. And one might think that because of this issue the LA Basin would produce a local culture of top notch RLF competency. But one would be wrong because it does pretty much the opposite. It produces a culture of spot landing junkies who only park in primary Happy Acres putting greens within two to one glides of launch.
It was my impetus to find a better drogue chute design and get it into production. Meanwhile the PG have discovered how good it can be for them since the landing options that punish HGs tend to work fine for PGs...
Which are themselves drogue chutes.
Not only do heroes with things to prove injure or kill themselves but they encourage or provoke similar or worse behavior in others. Like guys who ridicule pilots who use wheels...
http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=12682
Landing on your feet (for AEROTOW)- So Dangerous
Jack Axaopoulos - 2009/06/29 14:26:26 UTC

OMG!!! You dont even have wheels!!?!?!?!? Image
YOURE GONNA DIE FOR SUUUUREE!!!! Image
I have a brilliant idea. People who cant land for sh*t.... LEARN TO LAND Image That way when a weak link breaks on you, ITS A NON-ISSUE. Genius huh??? Image
There are many more unpublished landings in which a drogue was a good call.
But I'm not hearing NECESSARY call.
I don't encourage anyone to 'follow in my wing-flaps'.
I know.
I'm not the best at keeping track of old posts.
I have to be in order to run Kite Strings - which is primarily a whistleblower entity. I hafta be able to pull up old quotes that totally contradict what some sleazy motherfucker posted two hours ago. And if I slack off for a couple weeks stuff starts to fade.
I tend to write stuff and forget it. I'm interested in new stuff more than old although I do like history.
There is no new stuff. Anything that happened yesterday that's worth talking about has already happened scores of times before. I despise these "always a student" guys 'cause none of them have the capacity to always be pilots.
If we placed each and every one of these pilots into the same situation as the POWs were in during The Deer Hunter do you think they'd think it was fun?
But why do they feel that placing themselves into as risky a situation with an equally bad outcome prospect is fun?
There's no skill/competency involved in Russian Roulette. It's totally harmless for 83.3 and totally fatal for 16.7 percent of the spins and there's nothing anyone can do to alter those statistics.

The guys who are doing what Telepilot brought up to bitch about are highly skilled and competent - at least with respect to the relevant issue. They can do this stuff in their sleep and they can and do make necessary adjustment for gradients, turbulence, instability, whatever.

I've said this before but he's using the Joe Stearn incident as a model for what could go wrong and the Joe Stearn incident has no relevance whatsoever to what they're doing.

Statistically from current data there's a 0.00 percent failure rate and you can expect to do something that has a 0.00 percent failure rate a lot of cycles and stay healthy. By way of contrast look at the Challenger and Columbia. Those were both serious KNOWN issues and there were lotsa engineers crossing there fingers and holding their breaths before everything went up in smoke.
Hopefully, pilots would not let their unassisted RLF landing skills decline.
WHAT unassisted RLF landing skills? How is it possible for something that DOESN'T EXIST to DECLINE? The requirements are a total fucking joke and a total fucking douchebag like JackieB can without getting his balls cut off and shoved down his throat make statements about being a safe and conservative pilot by not dipping a wing under two hundred feet. And watch what happens when somebody suggests that spot landings are stupid useless dangerous stunts.
It is just a hope. Where I get mixed feelings is if everybody has a powerful and reliable drogue chute will everyone then up his game so that these become essential rather than just an occasional accessory?
If Donnell Hewett has an Infallible Weak Link which is strong enough to permit a good rate of climb without breaking and weak enough to break before the glider gets out of control, stalls, or collapses will he use a Reliable Release with an actuator within easy reach for all the non emergency release situation and dismiss the argument he's heard that "Weak links always break at the worst possible time, when the glider is climbing hard in a near stall situation."?

Will the sports of hang and para gliding follow his lead for the next four decades and will millions of tows be launched accordingly with a level of resulting carnage being beyond all comprehension?

But no. Hang gliders, for all intents and purposes, only land in Happy Acres putting greens in which:

- all turns to final are made at a minimum of twice tree height

- gliders never land anywhere in the first half of the runway because that would put them at unacceptable levels of risk of clipping the fence at the downwind end

- the second half of the runway is twenty times longer than the first half and there's no such thing as an upwind obstruction

- nailing the old Frisbee in the middle of the LZ with a crisp no stepper gets you a free beer
In my own case I fly lines that I'd never attempt without a reliable drogue.
Never hurts to have something that increases your range of control/options - as long as their aren't any serious downsides that can't be safely managed. I've been in several oops situations in the course of my career in which the option of tossing a drag chute would've had a lot of appeal. (Got away with them anyway though.)
I have upped my game but I have very little to prove...
"Very little." But something. Let's face it... It's a nice feeling to have climbed quickly and efficiently to cloubbase, made and executed the best decisions, put it down accurately and cleanly, gotten everything back in the bags and on the car no worse for wear.
That was the only part about that test flight on that demo glider I enjoyed. It dove and zoomed really well...
A Lower Turn to Final than one commonly sees at these places.
...and was easy to land on a Frisbee between boulders in a dry riverbed.
Weather permitting.
My name isn't Dense Pages...
If it were you wouldn't be posting on Kite Strings or putting anything else in print where you didn't enjoy u$hPa protection.
...and I fly a lot of gliders I dislike including my own. But when I own the glider I also get to tune it to my liking. I own the glider that Ron lobbed in on and hated it until I corrected the tuning, which took me multiple iterations.
Guess now it doesn't have that tendency to start boxing the field after arrival at under a hundred feet.
When I was an amateur telescope builder I was even more fussy about telescope tuning.
So watchya gonna be doing 23 days from now and where are ya gonna be doing it?
When I came back after 26 years I was amazed the sport still existed.
It's never existed as I believed it did and should when I first clipped in at Jockey's Ridge on 1980/04/02. In hindsight... If this sport had anything in the way of basic aeronautical competence it wouldn't have taken until 1979/09/26 for it to be understood that tow tension needed to routed through the pilot. And where were all the fuckin' NASA rocket scientists and the FAA? Simple high school Newtonian physics and Wilbur and Orville stuff. And that STILL gets vetoed by Davis/Voight/Rooney opinion.
During the subsequent nine years I can only scratch my head and wonder.
Not me. After a bit on in Project Kite Strings I started understanding the dynamics and being able to predict what would happen and why.
But then I look around at all the crime and mayhem everywhere and it doesn't seem so unlikely that it still exists.
Controlled by a non pilot crime syndicate lawyer. For any given scenario just ask yourself, "What would Tim Herr do?" And answer yourself, "Exactly what he's done before - but worse." Perfect clarity.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

Jonathan... Had a post about ready to go when you posted your 2017/07/29 02:38:29 UTC. So with a little adjustment...

I took an extensive look at the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkOBloE_53U

Stills:
http://www.kitestrings.org/post8670.html#p8670

from which I pulled the classic narrow dry riverbed with large rocks strewn all over the place landing still and have some revised thoughts on the situation.

- I'm pretty certain you landed significantly down stream/slope/hill - but maybe wind strength and direction determined final heading.

- I think there were better choices for landing surfaces in the immediate neighborhood than what you ended up with.

- The drag chute was fluttering all over the place and I don't think it was ever properly inflated for more than a sporadic second here and there, 'specially during the low skim, and I'm guessing it wasn't functioning enough as a drag chute to be all that valuable.

A review of the approach and landing (now amended with seven new stills). Keep checking out the 'chute for shape and flood plain surfaces for landing options.

20-2925
http://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5791/22913470582_b73bd02e33_o.png
21-3012
http://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4315/36230909505_b4441543e2_o.png
22-3227
http://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4325/36097080851_be5d8f41d6_o.png
23-3228
http://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4291/36097080131_a9d9502466_o.png
24-3506
http://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4319/35837989070_da6909b8f0_o.png
25-3507
http://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4306/35837988510_c503cb5532_o.png
26-3612
http://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4297/36097078491_c8cfc7d8c8_o.png
27-3716
http://c1.staticflickr.com/1/572/22508543587_86de2abc09_o.png
28-3717
http://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4302/35837987590_905a3ea468_o.png
29-3908
http://c1.staticflickr.com/1/758/22534751129_cff4ac1b66_o.png
30-3929
http://c1.staticflickr.com/1/772/22913467892_10af68e320_o.png
31-4126
http://c1.staticflickr.com/1/703/22913467342_bcb66f40bb_o.png
32-4127
http://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5808/22900913226_0bbcbf0050_o.png
33-4215
http://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5816/22926888625_695d2d9846_o.png
34-4313
http://c1.staticflickr.com/1/742/22926888035_f247bc2813_o.png
35-4326
http://c1.staticflickr.com/1/780/22508589438_b2efc35551_o.png
36-4415
http://c1.staticflickr.com/1/773/22508537277_1b497c8bae_o.png
37-4427
http://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5788/22304165044_722d4d6cfe_o.png
38-4501
http://c1.staticflickr.com/1/717/22534744079_b8ae539b3b_o.png
39-4511
http://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5688/22508586648_ed0c48164a_o.png
40-4517
http://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5800/22508585908_dc750a84cc_o.png
41-4702
http://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5788/22508585228_94670cef55_o.png
42-4707
http://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5706/22938021001_5cec6ce154_o.png

And consequently I'm thinking that we now have zero video evidence of a drag chute ever doing anyone any substantial good in a dicey landing situation.

So anybody... Let's hear about an actual incident in which somebody walked out of a field with his glider in one piece thanks to his drag chute.

Acceptable situations:
- misread terrain
- wind shift
- unpredicted tailwind, reverse surface wind
- invisible powerlines, barbed wire fence
- surprise thermal bubble on final

Unacceptable situations:
- high turn to final (twice tree height as trained)
- overshooting old Frisbee in the middle of the LZ

Looking for someone with reasonable RLF competency who ran into a little bad luck or forgivably misjudged a situation.

And, failing or in addition to an acceptable situation in which a drag chute made a save, one in which a drag chute WOULD have made a save had one been so equipped.